[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/gurpsgen/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: GURPSGenOPFancier.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPSGenOPFancier.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Flavourless Edition.

Last Thread: >>45873600
>>
File: 1455489503851.jpg (806 KB, 1240x1754) Image search: [Google]
1455489503851.jpg
806 KB, 1240x1754
>>45943993
BITCHES AINT NOTHIN BUT HOES N TRICKS

Also, a few new resources found in my travels this week

>http://donjon.bin.sh/
Muthafuckin Donjon; this is a repository of a bunch of randome deungeon floorplan generators, and a whole smackadoo of DnD generators tables and etc. I mention it SOLELY for the AdnD map generator which can generate HEX MAPS

> https://www.heroforge.com/
3D miniature maker/avatar generator. Need I say more?

>http://www.hexographer.com/free-version/
Hex map maker. It runs on Java, dont hold that against it. Seriously solid low-end tool

>http://inkarnate.com/
mapmaker. Looks nice, not too finicky. Very artsy

>http://www.rinmarugames.com/playgame.php?game_link=mega-anime-avatar-creator
Screw you; some of us like our chinese cartoon characters enough to make avatars ._.

>http://www.forgottenweapons.com/
From TL4 through TL8, these guys know their shit. Watch the video on the Pancor Jackhammer; I literally got wood hearing it rack the action
>>
For an After The End game what template is best for a new character? Trooper and Hulk seem pretty direct but would a different one with less combat focus be better?
>>
>>45944959

There isn't really a best template. Have the rest of the party decided theirs?

Filling the skill gaps is usually a good idea. A Quick Gadgeteer could be almost priceless given how hard gear is to acquire.
>>
Ok, /gurpsgen/, I want to run a Wuxia Martial Arts campaign, but I also want guns to exist because bad guys use guns. Will extra effort stuff like Acrobatic Dodge and Feverish Defense be enough for them to dodge SMG sprays? The PCs are going to be in the 300~ point ballpark.
>>
>>45947198

At 300 points, Extraordinary Luck isn't a bad purchase. Making it only good against guns would be a decent discount as well.
>>
>>45947391
I took defensive, active, extraordinary luck before. Shit was CASH
>>
>>45948913
Doesn't active require you to activate Luck before the initial roll? In my opinion, no discount is worth losing the ability to call on it *after* shit has already gone south.
>>
>>45950621
Yeah it's raw in the advantage description; you decide to use it and take the best of three rolls.
>>
>>45945475
Sorry! I was meaning for a new player. I didn't realize I typed that wrong.

How dose quick gadgetter work? Like Laura Croft in the new tomb rader?
>>
>>45952021
Rules change depending on setting, but in Dungeon Fantasy, it lets you make any one-use item that costs $250 in less than an hour if you have the appropriate crafting skill, and a -1 penalty for each additional $250.
>>
Working on crude makeshift crazy weapons for an After The End game. This one inspired by a player that noted that 3 blunderbuss are cheaper then double barrel shotgun.

Triple Blunderbuss

A crude weapon produced well after the Collapse, consisting of three steel tubes mounted to a common stock and trigger.

Loaded with prepared paper shells of lead balls on a black powder charge that are ignited by an electric sparkier. Most models use a hand-crank dynamo to charge capacitors to generate the sparks, while some instead use batteries. The capacitors can hold enough charge to fire the weapon 1d-2 times (minimum 1) and require 5 seconds of cranking to charge. A charged 9v battery can fire the weapon 90 times.

Accuracy 2, Weight 20, Shots 3 (15 seconds base, 7 seconds with successful quick draw (ammo)), Damage 1d, Rate of Fire 3x9, Recoil 1, ST 13, Range 15/100, Cost $500.
>>
>>45952356

Sounds intimidating.

>>45952021

Good example of what they can do would be this >>45952356
>>
>>45952825
ROF 27 is pretty fucking brutal. Needing 22 seconds to reload afterwards hurts.

I sort of like the way you just don't know if it's going to go off or not when you pull the trigger unless you've cranked it up recently.
>>
tell me anything about thrown weapons.
>>
>>45954824
they can be thrown
>>
>>45954824
they are weapons
>>
dead?
>>
>>45954824
Thrown weapons in GURPS are good for strong people to keep busy. It's often a better option to throw something at someone then to walk up to them for your turn.

Thrown daggers are easy to use and versatile, but run into the problem that that they have a very low ST requirement, meaning they can't benifit from very high ST.
>>
>>45955274
what would it take to stay with thrown weapons full time, instead of just something to do for round one?

and is that possible in either low point, or mostly realistic style games?
(so most cinematic options won't be in)
>>
>>45955274
>but run into the problem that that they have a very low ST requirement, meaning they can't benifit from very high ST.
So you say its ultimate uselessness to throw small 0.1-0.5 lbs stones, coz they have very low ST requirement? Really? You kidding?
>>
>>45955402
You run into the problem as a full time thrower that it's hard to carry very much ammunition and your other options, for the same investment, are longer ranged and hit just as hard or harder.

At TL 0 it's great, of course. The spear is the best unless you go Big Club like an asshole, and the smart hunter uses them at range to wear people down before closing in with the last one.

>>45955459
Weirdly, rocks as non-weapons don't suffer from the ST cap, so you can do more damage with a fist sized rock then with a thrown knife.
>>
>>45955669
>more damage with a fist sized rock then with a thrown knife
fuck
>>
>>45956114
Potentially, at very high STR. But yes. On the other hand, you can kill a guy with a grenade by throwing it hard enough to break his face, rather than relying on the explosion.
>>
>>45955669
>>45956114

I mean if we're talking REALLY high ST, you could always work out the object's speed then use the collisions rules to work out damage.
>>
@Worldbuilding Anon

I got less swamped with work today and said I'd get something over the weekend. I'm a little early. Here's what I came up with playing with the books. Taxes come completely out of surplus so don't worry about percentage. Instead, increase surplus to match what it would have to be to produce the taxation effects you are looking for (enough taxes to support 100 families requires an extra 180,000 pounds, if each farm has a surplus of 220 pounds [just pulling a numbers out of the air] then taxes require farmers to have 8 acre farms (and there needs to be 818 of them). It really doesn't matter where the surplus goes, just where it ends up. Ultimately it ends up as extra mouths being fed. The numbers support that if you look at them from a different direction.

It's a little long to post here so here's a link:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/d03thc

By the way, your numbers looked good but all that detail made me cry (pounds of legumes for gahd sakes!) And I've been playing GURPS for more than 25 years and have a degree in Anthropology!
>>
I'm considering using GURPS for a game, but I'm more familiar with the Unisystem through the All Flesh Must Be Eaten RPG.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unisystem

The Unisystem is about as generic as GURPS, but a bit lighter on rules and content, giving players fewer concepts to get familiar with to really enjoy the game.

Would you say GURPS is worth the additional work required as compared to Unisystem, or will a simpler, 'slimmer' system probably give me more bang for my buck?
>>
>>45957894
One thing to keep in mind is that GURPS is fully modular, meaning anything more than the most basic rules is entirely optional.

You can run a game perfectly fine with UltraLite rules, which take two pages. You can also use Lite rules, which are a middle ground between UltraLite and Basic, Basic being the full system.
>>
>>45957997
Should we decide to change to more detailed rules as the group grows more familiar with the basics, will characters need to be rejiggered? Or do you use the same character statistics with both the light and full rules?
>>
>>45958155
Statistics are the same either way.
>>
>>45958155
They're the same statistics, although the granularity of skills increases. The basics get expanded, not replaced.
>>
>>45958155
You use the same statistics and basic mechanics across all the rules. One neat thing you can do is plug optional rules in and out within the same session, which is especially useful in combat (basic for groups, all the options and tactics for important duels).
>>
>>45958214
>although the granularity of skills increases
Only if you want it to. Just make sure your starting skill list covers all you need for the campaign, and maybe introduce techniques later to provide options.
>>
>>45958228
That's nice.

So I can run a few sessions or combats with the bare basics to get everyone accustomed to the dice mechanics and different character traits, and then go: "alright, from now on you'll be able to choose hit locations and do all kinds of maneuvers!" without having to change the characters.
>>
File: 1451707465594.jpg (192 KB, 500x551) Image search: [Google]
1451707465594.jpg
192 KB, 500x551
How do I stat races based on forest animals?
>>
>>45952356
Honestly, you don't need batteries to generate sparks. Google "piezoelectricity" - you can generate sparks just by squeezing the trigger. I was toying with idea of "zaplock" firearms for some technologically advanced TL4 setting.
>>
>>45958248
Yep. You can also switch those options on and off to adjust the pace of combat, and if your players want to get tactical, introduce techniques.
>>
I'm trying to work out magic for my next game, but honestly, I'm having a lot of difficulties wrapping my brain around the issue. I've decided that I don't want to use GURPS Magic, but looking at the other systems available, none have really 'clicked' for me yet. So instead I'll likely do Magic as powers, but that presents one huge issue.
There are no guidelines. Having used powers a lot before I've found it to be extremely fickle. I've no concept of how to keep it balanced, and there's also the issue of my players having a very min-max'y approach to their characters, so giving them free reign is likely going to end in catastrophe. To give an example of something giving me grief, there's innate attack advantage. Enough said?

The second problem I have is that I want to have magical items available. Not necessarily 'Broadsword +2', but different types of curios and neat gadgets. I've however also very little grasp of how to make this internally consistant in any way, or where to draw ideas from.
>>
>>45958329
Psionics and psitech might come in handy, but Thaumatology: Sorcery is the one you want. It presents a complete system of magic-as-powers and might answer most questions on that front.
>>
>>45958329
Sorcery /is/ magic as powers given a framework with some Modular Abilities sauce.
>>
>>45958510
>>45958515
Thanks, I'll go check sorcery out. Think I have it downloaded from another thread.
>>
>>45958564
You can also take a look at Chinese Elemental Power for an alternative, as well as a few worldbooks.
>>
>>45958252
http://panoptesv.com/RPGs/animalia/animalia.html

This is a start for a lot of animals.
>>
File: tumblr_nrp70oPMeF1qa94xto1_540.gif (531 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nrp70oPMeF1qa94xto1_540.gif
531 KB, 540x540
>>45958329
Still be careful with Sorcery, there's some hilarious misbalancing in its own book. No-Smell, for example, is one of the most expensive spells in Sorcery, because it got built off of Obscure 10 (smell) instead of Sanitized Metabolism or something similar.
>>
To be 1 SM less than you are to hit you in combat is perk or arond [5]?
>>
>>45960852
Probably around half as valuable as combat reflexes. -1 to hit is half as good as +1 to active defenses.
>>
>>45960852
>>45960877
SM + or - is a 0 point feature, but if your race is typiclaly one size category, you can usually only buy dwarfism [-15] or Gigantism [+0] to modify it directly.
>>
>>45960968
Well the original poster said just for the purpose of being harder to hit? I took it as a small shrinking ability to suddenly shrink away defensively in only that case. That said, in the general case, you are correct that permanent sm-1 is a 0 point feature, and dwarfism is a small disadvantage.
>>
>>45960877
Something like
SM compensation: Combat Reflexes (Forces attacker to take -1 per level, -50%; Affect active defences only, +0%) [7.5/level]?
>>
>>45961052
If it's leveled, base it on 50% of enhanced dodge.
>>
>>45956114
>>45957752
>>45957762
This was brought up last thread, and it's still wrong. The ST cap *only* applies to melee attacks. Nowhere does it say that thrown weapons suffer the same limitations.

>For a melee weapon, your effective ST for damage purposes cannot exceed triple the weapon’s minimum ST. For instance, a large knife has minimum ST 6, so its “maximum ST” is 18; if your ST were 19+, you would compute your damage as if you had ST 18.

Additionally, while the logic behind ST caps admittedly goes over my head at times, it seems like thrown weapons get around whatever physiological technicality caps melee weapons.
>>
Hey /gurpsgen/ I'm pretty new to gurps and was wondering, how well does gurps handle vehicles? Best books to check out?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>45958254
Zero moving parts piezoelectric would be neat, but you'd need a hell of a trigger pull to generate a spark though black powder corrosion on plugs and you couldn't make it out of things you'd find in a ruined house and garage.

The advantages to a electric sparker over a flintlock would be worth it though. No plan flash, no need to prime, no hole in the barrel, no unconstrained explosion near your face.
>>
File: Vehicles Collection.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Vehicles Collection.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45963550
Basic Set and High Tech are where you'd find most of them for 4th, with Low Tech haveing some sailing ships and the like.

GURPS is okay at this, and there's an anon that came around for a while here that was working on a fan-made book covering a whole lot of different machines.
>>
>>45964264
Sweet, thanks anon.
>>
File: Capture.png (30 KB, 314x138) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
30 KB, 314x138
>>45947198
Something like pic related (from Martial Arts) should be good.
>>
I have a player that isn't doing a lot of role playing.

Disadvantages include Obsession (Secret Information), Truthfulness, Obliviousness, and Stubbornness.

The character is a scholar in a Dungeon Fantasy campaign, and has no backstory or quirks. What do I do to engage this player?
>>
>>45965522
Present Secrets for him to follow, and die, and then make a better character.
>>
>>45965522
Talk to your players. Can we get that put in the sticky?
>"I have X/Y/Z problem with player(s)/GM!"
>Talk to them.
>>
>>45965584
Oh sure, that is a possibility, but I have trouble being more blunt then, "When will you get a backstory together? You can get 5 more character points if you had some quirks. It'd be great if you could do that during the week or visit me before the session."

It's a delicate line between, "be interesting" and "you're boring."
>>
>>45943993
I was told GURPS would be an interesting thing to look into for character optimization puzzles. I think I'm going to be looking at optimizing things in something like 200 points, no flaws, specific set of books.

What's an interesting set of books to start with?

(Can't ask my GM - if I was playing a real game I wouldn't be doing character optimization.)
>>
>>45965639
"Hey, man, mind if we have a heart to heart for a second? I want to talk about this, and my intent isn't to offend you. To me, you don't really seem to be roleplaying your character. Is there anything I can do differently or better to engage you?" or some variation thereof. Don't word it as an accusation and try to make it based on personal perception (You, personally, don't see them roleplaying, not that they aren't; You, personally, want to improve your game because you could be the cause of the problem, not them.)
>>
>>45965695
Power Ups (Talents, Limitations, Enhacements), Powers (For more limitations and Enhacements), Martial Arts (For melee combat), Tactical Shooting (for gun combat), Social Engineering (For Social Situations), Thaumathology (for magic).
>>
>>45965713
Sounds like a good way to put it. Maybe this will cure my autism. Thanks, doc.
>>
>>45965903
np senpai. Someone should write a simple conflict resolution guide for all the sperglords here. Fuck if I'll do it, though.
>>
>>45965522
>>45965522
ask them to grow a personality, force them to grow a personality, throw succubus at them or paladins making sexual innuendo about their greatswords and the scholar's wand or whatever the fuck. Have them cross a narrow bridge in heavy fog and meet a crazy barrel merchant and his mule half way across.
>>
>>45965894
Thanks a bunch!
>>
File: Tyenne.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Tyenne.pdf
1 B, 486x500
So, I took a break from GMing Star Wars, and we are planning to start a game of A Song of Ice and Fire. The players will be a Noble House of Dorne, one being the Lord, one the Heir, me (as the daughter), a Maester, and a Sworn-Knight. What do you guys think of my character?
>>
>>45966196
Also, for lulz, the guy who is going to GM is the same dude that made the AnCap Jedi I talked about last thread. So I kinda want it to go downhill.
>>
File: TheBunniesTale.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
TheBunniesTale.pdf
1 B, 486x500
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/03/five-room-dungeon-runaway-spider.html

I tried making a five room dungeon but GURPS style. This is the second one I've done so far, but I haven't gotten a lot of feedback? I'm guessing it is is either 1) tl;dr or 2) so mediocre there are not enough good or bad points to speak to.

Also, a pdf from the guy who wrote How to be a GURPS GM on a mini-adventure he just created.
>>
>>45967970
Very nice for a B&B style game. Maybe add some extra warnings for new GM's and players that Hawks, Foxes, Dogs and even Cats are very dangerous to bunnies and might be better avoided then fought, and some suggestion for bunny travel rates, fatigue and finding food and water as they make the long trip home.
>>
>>45969495
Mine is the linked post, not the pdf. The pdf just incidentally came out at nearly the same time I wrote that, and I wanted to talk about it too.
>>
>>45966196
Looks very GoT; Fingers crossed you get a nice social-Fu game and not just DUELS CONSTANT DUELS
>>
>>45967970
Ahh, yeah I see now. It's not bad. The strangeness of it and the complications work well.
>>
>>45966196
You are remarkably fragile for a 250 point character. You need loyal guardians, something that your appearance and charisma might be able to buy, but being able to kill someone yourself can be very useful. Drop sword to 1 point and free up a few more to get knife and basic stealth. If you can get behind someone that doesn't know you are there even with your ST you might be able to kill them with a all out to the vitals.
>>
>>45966196
>>45974408
Addum: Get at least one 25% your point ally bodyguard as a mercenary, poor knight or crazy assassin obsessed with you with a high availability.
>>
>>45974408
Yeah, but in the end I am a Noble Lady. So i'll have one player as my bodyguard, and if I really need, I can just drop the family name to hire some mercs, or even some Honourable knight "oh, woe is me, I need saving by a noble knight".

The combat skills are mostly because her father (another player) is a crazy, no-fucks-given mercenary veteran. He travelled Essos fighting people to learn the world, and can't stand having a 'useless daughter'. Best part is that his heir is a complete lazy idiot who only wants to sleep (alone or with someone else) trickster.
>>
>>45974576
Also, for clarity, game is going to start in 281 AL, at the Tourney at Harrenhall where Rhaegar crowned Lyanna.
>>
File: princess.jpg (56 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
princess.jpg
56 KB, 500x750
>>45974576
Oh yeah, still, you might want one on your sheet as an ally you paid points for. This gives you someone that you know is on your side, not a plant by your enemies to get close to you.

Things can go south VERY FAST and you might not have time to seduce or bribe someone into your service.
>>
>>45975552
Right. Then I need to free up some 4 or 8 points.
>>
Does anyone have the 3e Aztecs book? Doesn't seem to be in the Mega.
>>
>>45975662
>>45975552
>"Hey man, like, GoT treachery!"
>NAH I be good senpai
>"but like, all these examples"
>OH SHiT, right right
>buys loyal allies
>>
>>45966196
You missed savoir faire: Nobility. Sex Appeal is more use then Erotic Art (Being really good at fucking is less useful then being good at making people want to fuck).

Perception 14 is great for spotting ambushes and danger coming. Pair with observation, maybe?

Many Westrosi nobles have hunting skills, like falconry, bow, or tracking, but it's okay you don't, it's not like that is universal.
>>
File: 1371365579927.jpg (64 KB, 435x571) Image search: [Google]
1371365579927.jpg
64 KB, 435x571
How would you introduce spellbooks with Sorcery? Make them give bonuses to cast specific spells? Give a limited talent? Allow to improvise only the spells you have written down? How would you price them?
>>
>>45980059
They're learned spells with the gadget modifiers Can Be Stolen (plus maybe Breakable or Unique too). Sorcerers use them to expand their repertoire of learned spells without investing time and effort (i.e. character points) into learning the spells. Most grimoires assume the 1/5 cost reduction for being an alternate ability; the sorcerer needs some requisite amount of power to use the grimoire. There exists incredibly dangerous unlimited grimoires than *anyone* can use, however, as they grant the advantage in full.

Going by Basic Set's "$1000 per added point" guideline, grimoires containing even a single spell with be quite expensive, and unlimited grimoires even moreso. I know Fantasy, Magic, and Thaumatology have different guidelines for magic things, though, so that may make grimoires more reasonably priced.
>>
>>45980059
You could let players take Modular Abilities (Super-Memorization, Spells Only), but improvise any spell that they've seen.
>>
>>45980364
Oh, I like this idea!
>>
>>45980364
Wait a second, I just realized that it's basically an enchanted item with the Requires Sorcery (Full Prerequisites) modifer and a special form. Neat.
>>
So in a TL 0 game where you aren't allowed to take any level of Wealth, what is your measly $250 best spent on?

A stone axe seems nice, but it's $50 right there. Maybe the best tool / weapon combo, but $50 for a sleeping fur and $25 for sandles and $5 for personal basics makes it feel expensive.
>>
File: flintstones.jpg (100 KB, 611x404) Image search: [Google]
flintstones.jpg
100 KB, 611x404
>>45983019
>>
>>45983019
>personal sleeping fur
>sandals
Thog warn you about one percent. About drizzle economy. Thog knew. Now you see Thog right.
>>
>>45983019
You do what cavemen did, and pool your fucking resources to get communal tools and equipment.
>>
>>45983019

>10,000BCE
>buying an axe
>not knapping your own from superior local flint

No but for real, your GM might let you take Armoury/TL0 (Melee Weapons) and let you take a couple of hours at the beginning of the session to make your own axe. At TL0, it's probably historically accurate for everyone to know how to make simple tools and weapons.
>>
>>45983966
Armoury is care and basic maintenance, rather than production. But yeah, TL 0 is kind of weird equipment-wise, and at least one guy should know how to make tools.
>>
anyone have any tips for a bio-tech centered game? i need some ideas for shit that isnt androids and ultratech...which is what i usually play as a character/GM
>>
>>45984115
No, Armory covers the creation of the gear as well, though if you're building new stuff, you need more than Armory alone.
>This is the ability to build, modify, and repair a specific class of weapons or armor (It does not include skill at design; for that, see Engineer, p. 190.)
Note that it'd very anachronistic to have dedicated tinkerers at lower tech levels; on top of that, it's anachronistic to see any sort of specialization of labor at TL0. Everyone should have a decent level of Armory.

>>45983966
While I agree with you, it's worth noting that gear your character made is still covered by purchasing it with starting wealth. If you spent time making something, it was time spent now working on getting some other thing. At TL0, "spending your starting cash" is probably better viewed as divvying up your time doing certain things; for example, the time spent crafting a really nice stone axe could have been put towards skinning an animal and drying its fur to make yourself some sleeping furs.

>>45984762
What sort of tips? Character concepts? Builds? Templates?
>>
>>45984869
re: Weapons, I believe this is correct. Armoury lets you make a #thing that definitely exists and any competent armorer can make.
Engineer (#thing) Let's you design an improvement to a weapon, most likely using invention rules... Though you probably need to invent a ton of other stuff before you are even thinking of inventing metal swords at TL0.
>>
File: 1457751915572.jpg (50 KB, 702x751) Image search: [Google]
1457751915572.jpg
50 KB, 702x751
>>45984762
Try checking out GUYVER, Kamen Rider ZO, Kamen Rider Black for the sort of transforming heroes with biotech idea. The comics Hybrid Insector and Genocyber also cover the same sort of territory. The TV show Guyferd threw in chi powers kung fu styles on top of that as well, so you had horrible monster people doing elaborate kung-fu moves.

Aside from that...I dunno, you could do like some kind of evangelion/star trek hybrid, where all the redshirts are clones of some girl and bits of the ship are meaty. Or maybe more modern game, where sinister forces battle it out over unearthing ancient bits of biotech.
>>
>>45979308
A shitton of the Skills are in the notes. I fucking hate making sheets on a pdf. And as she's dornish, most of her past times consist of trolling her family and drinking in the shades.
>>
I wanna do a rogue-trader-style "dynastic houses in space" game in the future with gurps, but I might need help from somebody more experienced with the system to pick and choose the best stuff for such a game from the trove, and to help make templates that can emulate rogue trader's career paths to some degree. anyone around here willing/able to help with that? email me if you're up for it, I'll respond with my skype.
>>
>>45986549
either I forgot me email in that post or I don't know how the email field works on 4chan.
>>
>>45986567
oh, I'm a moron, email's gone. [email protected]
>>
How would I build a character who can effectively fight with two swords? Is Off-Hand Weapon Training and Extra Attack enough?
>>
>>45986567
Just be anon, anon. Anyway, you don't need templates. Just let everyone be whatever the heck they want to be. You just need to glance around Social Engineering and Tactical Shooting. MAAAAAAYBE Starships. And Ultra-tech for equipments.

>>45986620
Realistic or cinematic?
>>
>>45986663
Cinematic.
>>
>>45986738
> Dual Weapons Attack
If you have at least two hands, you can strike with two hands at once using an Attack maneuver instead of an All-Out Attack (Double) maneuver. Each hand can attack unarmed, with a one-handed melee weapon, or with a pistol. Of course, if your ST is high enough, you can wield a two-handed weapon in one hand! Each attack is at -4 to hit, but you can learn the Dual-Weapon Attack technique (p. 230) to reduce this penalty. You have an extra -4 (total -8) with your “off” hand, unless you have Ambidexterity (p. 39) or learn Off-Hand Weapon Training (p. 232). Roll to hit separately for each hand. You can attack one target or two - but to strike two foes with melee attacks, they must be adjacent. If you aim both attacks at a single opponent, he defends at -1 against them, as his attention is divided! If you already have multiple attacks - for instance, from an Extra Attack (p. 53) - you may “trade” only one of these for a Dual-Weapon Attack. All your remaining attacks must be simple, single-weapon attacks.
>>
>>45986549
Social Engineering, Spaceships (especially #2: Traders, Liners, and Transports, seeing as it has some nice rules for trading goods in space; if it's just ROYALS INNN SPAAAAAAACE, you won't really need more than the shipbuilding aspects, but if it's more Rogue Trader, that those trade rules will be vital), Ultra-Tech, and maybe a peruse through Pyramid, specifically #3/30 Spaceships for the Mass Combat in Space article (because what's a dynastic house without a fleet of vassal ships?).
>>
>>45986799
This just made a munchkin light go off for me....
Could one conceivably do a combination attack that consists of 2 or 3 Dual Weapon strikes and come out way ahead point wise?

1 point for off hand training...
5 points for dual weapon strike (Favorite Weapon)
9 points for Combination Attack (Dual Weapon Strike (Favorite Weapon)/Torso + Dual Weapon Strike (Favorite Weapon)/Torso)

15 points to attack the chest four times with almost no penalties?
>>
>>45986663
>>45986932
thanks mang(s) and/or womang(s)
>>
>>45987254
Off-Hand training is a Hard Technique based on skill-4. So you need 5 points to no-penalty. So, same cost for ambidexterity. Dual Weapon Strike is the same, 5 points to no penalty. So, 10 points to attack twice at no penalty. No need for Combination.

Dual Weapon Attack just buys off the -4 penalty to attack with another weapon. It doesn't give you another attack. So, You'd need either two Extra Attacks, or one Extra Attack and All-out (Double) to four attacks.
>>
>>45987374
There is also a one handed training perk (Martial Arts, p.50)
A combination attack technique (Martial Arts P.80) would let you do two techniques in a row... in exchange for the freedom of not being able to choose the targeted location - the combination attack defines it.

so if you can do the Dual Weapon Strike technique twice, that would be 4 hits... or is there anywhere in raw that says you can't do this (besides common sense?)

Also... if we wanted to do a 3 part combination attack we would need 1+ 5 + 14 = 20 points to attack 6 times.

The one stipulation for combination attacks and weapons that I see is that you can't create one for a weapon that becomes unready or stuck.
>>
>>45987254
IIRC, any combination of DWA, Rapid Strike/Combination, and AOA (Double) add one more to the number of attacks; you can DWA on both halves of a Combination or an AOA (Double) just like you can't apply DWA to more than one Extra Attack. DWA+Combination would let you attack three times, but not four. An AOA (Double) + DWA + Combination would let you hit four times (you make your initial attack, trade your second attack for a two-part combination, and the last attack of your combination is a DWA) but you suffer by losing your defenses.

While three hits still sounds super powerful, in practice it's less dramatic. GURPS already has a trend of one-hit-one-kill (or at least incapacitate), so following that up with two other stabs is usually overkill. Also, doubling up on the same weapon type is limiting; in general, 2H weapons enjoy better reach and armor penetration shield users enjoy a bonus to active defenses, and fighters that employ two different weapons have a broader range of utility.

>>45987374
The OHT technique was scrapped in latter books in favor of a single-point perk.
And no, you don't need Extra Attack to attack that many times, it's just not a good idea.
>>
>>45987573
Ah thanks, All of a sudden I just had another interesting idea because I don't think about combination attacks a lot...

Picks are cool because swing impale damage, but not cool because they get stuck. Could you make a combination attack that is

(Swing (Pick)/Favorite Hit Location + Retrieve Pick/Same Hit Location) ?
>>
>>45987637
>swing pick to vitals
>huge damage
>gets stuck on dead dude
noproblem.jpeg

Dear lord, I'm so doing that.
>>
>>45987637
You already get a free ST roll to yank your weapon out; training up a technique is a waste of points just for a second attempt if you fail the first. Considering how cheap picks are, it's probably better to just carry a backup or two and invest those 9 points into something more useful like Fast-Draw if your GM allows it (some weapon types, including axe/mace, don't normally get fast-draw) or back into the weapon skill/ST if not.
>>
>>45987637
>but not cool because they get stuck
Actually, that's also cool - free damage for ST roll. And your ST is good, right? And if you don't pull it out, you can use it to restrain opponent.
>>
File: j3qy9pA[1].png (283 KB, 1496x842) Image search: [Google]
j3qy9pA[1].png
283 KB, 1496x842
>>45987758
I looked it up to make sure, and Basic set doesn't say it is a free action; it is at least one ready maneuver (which is a turn for most characters) Is it a free action somewhere like Martial Arts? That'd be awesome but as it stands, I am wary of a move that leaves me vulnerable because I am stuck holding onto a weapon that is stuck in an enemy who gets a turn before I get a chance to do something... like, what could happen? Is it reasonable for the opponent to try to move? Would I be vulnerable to his buds in a way almost comparable to an all-out-attack?

>>45987762
True, but if a combination attack of Swing + Retrieve were allowed, you'd be doing all that damage in a single turn and be free to maneuver otherwise.
>>
>>45988089
Though, relinquishing the weapon is a free action... maybe I need a character with a bajillion lifting ST (or just pure ST since I'll need it for ST rolls to retrieve the pick) and a bandoleer full of picks and a high level of Fast-Draw(axe)
>>
>>45988182
LTC2 allows you to stick pick head on various weapons. I think the same rules (-1 to damage, imp damage type) can be used to make a hatchet-sized throwing pick. This way you will also overcome two downsides of Axe/Mace - 0U parry and lack of Reach.
>>
>>45988331
This makes it even better... a collection of fine throwing picks... need signature gear, use the rules for cinematic weapons to add a few more CF to make it passable as a melee weapon, and now you are just throwing picks at everyone and stabbing anyone that gets close enough. Of course, probably need the Standard Operating Procedure Perk(Of course I picked up all my picks and put them back in the bandoleer after the last battle)
>>
File: 1457313584750.png (35 KB, 805x556) Image search: [Google]
1457313584750.png
35 KB, 805x556
What's your personal favorite setting book for GURPS?
>>
>>45989037
Cyberworld or the OWoD conversion
>>
>>45989037
Transhuman Space.
No questions, THS is THE best Sci-fi Setting, ever. Although Abydos (from Banestorm) is a close second.
>>
>>45989037
Traveller IW or Reign of Steel.
>>
>>45989037
Banestorm or Tales of the Solar Patrol.
>>
File: 1456757437025.jpg (155 KB, 560x330) Image search: [Google]
1456757437025.jpg
155 KB, 560x330
>>45990093
>Tales of the Solar Patrol
My compatriot of African descent.
>>
File: Known World.jpg (943 KB, 3222x2136) Image search: [Google]
Known World.jpg
943 KB, 3222x2136
>>45966196
I'm not super familiar with GURPS, but I've read a bit of it. Are there abilities we see in A Song of Ice and Fire that GURPS doesn't reproduce well?
>>
>>45990457
Nope. Pretty easy to play. The 'hardest' is to create Valyrian Blades - but just treat them as Orichalcum and it's OK.
>>
>>45990457
What kind of abilities? GURPS has like ten different magic systems, at least three of which are flexible to the point of bullshit and accidental breakage. I'll go out on a limb and say 'no'.
>>
>>45985474
Man, just use GCS to build it automatically. It's a million times faster and easier and it can automatically scale the sheet to hold an unlimited number of skills.
>>
>>45990496
Where would I find stuff on Orichalcum? I was figuring, unless a campaign went in the direction of the supernatural threats from the north, you could just call them very fine swords.
>>
>>45990457
That map is weird
>>
>>45990508
Well, I'd prefer to avoid bullshit and accidental breakage.
>>
>>45990583
Other than the blocky shapes, what's so weird about it?
>>
>>45990641
Why isn't the map's blockyness alone enough to call it weird? I'd say having the overall coastline and a major mountain range all exist at 90° to each other is hella weird.
>>
>>45983966
>>45984869

The GM lets us build tools with a mix of carpentry and knapping (replaces blacksmith) but he's also a fucking monster that will imminently try to kill us. I need my caveman go bag packed and ready to go in case I don't get the breathing room to make any tools.

>>45983729
>>45983683

I need to carry my weight and bring tools and equipment that will help the group survive.
>>
>>45990719
I'll be sure to tell Gurm that the next time I see him.
>>
>>45990858
Bruh you're getting pretty pissy over someone calling a fictional map you didn't make "weird."
>>
File: Natalie_Dormer_animation_2014.gif (864 KB, 200x245) Image search: [Google]
Natalie_Dormer_animation_2014.gif
864 KB, 200x245
>>45990562
I dislike GCS/GCA. Mostly because I got so used to making sheets on txt as fast as sonic.

>>45990566
Dungeon Fantasy, I think. In one of them.

>>45990728
Wouldn't you need to use machinist to make tools?

And a Natalie Dormer gif, because ASOIAF.
>>
>>45990910
I'm not your bruh, pal.
>>
File: worldMapMarkings.png (308 KB, 588x407) Image search: [Google]
worldMapMarkings.png
308 KB, 588x407
Here's my campaign's world map so far. I made it with crayons, and used my scanner for the first time today. :3c
>>
File: jolly cooperation.png (383 KB, 671x372) Image search: [Google]
jolly cooperation.png
383 KB, 671x372
>>45989037
Infinite Worlds, or Technomancer. Infinite worlds is *really* good for supers stuff, since you have built in limits on the amount of material that Infinity can bring to bear in any situation. Technomancer because it'd make for great slice of life comedies.
>>
Anyone know if there are stats out there somewhere for a Da Vinci style ornithopter? Hoping to incorporate them into a campaign and would rather not do the work if someone else has.
>>
>>45991008
I think machineist feels a bit too high tech for a TL 0 game. Needing knapping, weaving and carpentry to make a tool sucks, but I can't just go to a shop to buy rope, a handle and an axe head.
>>
>>45991721
Well, guess you could just rename it. But I though Machinist was the skill for making tools - even rock or bone tools.
>>
yo, rogue trader anon back, anybody mind taking a look at and critiquing this simplified sort of spaceship sheet (a few stats have been renamed or cut out, because I had a hard time wrapping my head around them and I don't feel like I'd need them). Is anything I've left out vitally important and I didn't realize it? At the time of writing, still working on an example ship (the player character's ship), so feel free to critique what's done on it so far.
>>
>>45993545
Anon, we kinda need to be able to look at it to critique.
>>
>>45993679
... fuck. Sorry. Here. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QUV8uI37GG9CzrHmhVGfNDqFt0jo7F4Vdv7SScRW6c8/edit?usp=sharing
I'm not normally this retarded I swear.
>>
>>45993748
if you're wondering what some of the gibberish in some of the system slots means, don't worry about it it's homebrew stuff. Unless you're interested in TOTALLY ORIGINAL FLUFF DONUT STEEL
>>
>>45993816
Well, speed can raise the Handling Stat, and I suggest that, for larger ships, you concentrate on more guns instead of bigger. Three Main batteries are better than one Spinal. Hell, I'd say two main batteries are better.

SM 12 ship has 600 'slots' for cabins. I really recomend using everyone. 10 Offices, for instance, focused on Tactics/Strategy/Economics give a +1 to tests. Also, remember to have more crewmembers than you actually need. So if they die, you can still work.
>>
File: StarshipDeckUpper.png (184 KB, 1040x2048) Image search: [Google]
StarshipDeckUpper.png
184 KB, 1040x2048
>>45993935
I mostly only put in so few cabins because I actually have a detailed map in mind for use in roll20, shown here. It's gonna be square-based instead of hex-based, and I'm told I can probably just go to diagonally-adjacent square grids without having to worry about too much. It's only got 20 cabins/bunkrooms (on the upper deck, anyway, but there aren't many more on the lower deck, which I can post if anybody wants to see it). Could raise the occupancy if I just put more than one bunk in a bunkroom, though. If it looks like an SS13 map, that's because it IS an SS13 map that I traced over with a different tileset.
>>
>>45959917

Yeah - it's only ~300-400 energy points or so to turn a city into jelly. Or pick it up and drop it. And so on. Which is pretty doable for a specialised character.

RPM is great, but needs even more oversight than usual for GURPS. A setting that assumes protection and magically-enforced rules against those kinds of spells of mass destruction is fairly plausible though.
>>
>>45994040
also it looks like I may have forgotten a few walls. Not gonna upload a fixed version, but it's been fixed.
>>
>>45994224
53, actually.

Toxic Attack 1 point (Affects
Insubstantial, +20%; Area Effect, 2475880078570760549798248448 yards (about 74 gigaparsecs), +4550%; Cosmic, Irresistible attack, +300%; Emanation, -20%; Rapid Fire, RoF 300, +300%; Selective Area, +20%; Underwater, +20%) [53].
>>
File: Item - Uraeus of Tefnut.png (95 KB, 559x399) Image search: [Google]
Item - Uraeus of Tefnut.png
95 KB, 559x399
>>45989103

Have you seen GURPS Cabal?

It's a pretty neat take on a "WoD" style modern hidden magic setting, but it grounds it more in actual occultism.

The cosmology is really neat as well. And it has one of my favourite magic items ever.
>>
>>45994297

I'd argue that that's a different matter entirely - RPM's city killing is an outright legal use of the spell system. It just ends up with an effect that has very disruptive - or dramatic - implications.
>>
How would I build a Kamen Rider-esque hero in gurps?
>>
>>45994768
I have no idea what this means.
>>
>>45989037

I really love Technomancer for the fact that everything seems so normal despite there being magic. That said, the normality makes it hard for me to think of good campaigns/adventures there.
>>
>>45991694
I feel like I've seen them in the fantasy tech book. Not 100% sure though.
>>
>>45995164
There is something close to this on... Spaceships, actually. Take a look at the Spaceships 7, and the Pyramids.
>>
Anyone know how to change GCS' language? I want to send the sheet over to my GM but I know for a fact he knows 0 spanish. To clarify, the library is in english, it's pretty much everything else that is translated (this includes the random names, strangely).
>>
>>45995638
That's why I do everything in english - even though I'm BR BR HUE. Some GMs (and players) get mad at me, somehow. Can't image why.
>>
>>45995638

>The user can now force GCS to use a specific language in its user interface by setting an environment variable named GCS_LANGUAGE to an appropriate language code. As of this point in time, GCS has translations for German (GCS_LANGAUGE=de), Russian (GCS_LANGUAGE=ru), and Spanish (GCS_LANGUAGE=es) in addition to its native American English. Using a value that is unrecognized will result in American English being used. By default (i.e. if this environment variable is not set), GCS attempts to use the default language for the system.
>>
>>45996392
So do that or set your default lanauge to English.
>>
>>45994768
Alternate Form that's basically a powers package with the Gadget limitation*. Following tradition, it should also include high levels of Reputation the main PC lacks as well as Super Jump and an Affliction aura that makes every enemy you punch or throw Explosive. The PC should also have Enemy (Monster of the Week) so they can consistently stumble across the evil machinations of Dr. Waru and his horde of Mutant Swampbots.

*I don't know of any examples of the tokusatsu hero's transformation gear ever breaking/getting stolen, though, so maybe that disadvantage isn't appropriate and it being a belt/badge/whatever is -0% fluff limitation.
>>
>>45994768
Posession, Permation, Ally (puppet) with a gadget limitation.
>summon super--powerful body, inhabit it instead of your normal one
>yolo
>>
>>45995164
>>45995284
Thanks bros; I'll take a look
>>
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/03/session-capture-varens-session-7-where.html

Session 7 recap. Felt kinda boring, but my players say they liked it.
>>
Does anyone have any advice for making "boss" monsters in GURPS?

I've got a general idea of what I want to make (ordinary killer with a gun, during phase two turns into a horrifying claw demon), but I was wondering if you guys had any specific advice or ways to make a boss more engaging.

My first thought was to give it some minor minions, but I thought that this would distract from the fact that a concrete, fully formed demon just manifested out of this person's body, so I want to try to make it engaging as a solo enemy.

For reference, I've got three players - one who fights with knives and has 8DR, one who fights with fists and has 31DR because of trauma plates, and one who fights with baseball bats and has 8DR, all with fairly average attributes overall.

I was thinking of giving the boss high DR to get the players to be creative and use the surroundings to fight it (desks, chemicals, fires, etc) in addition to treating it kinda like a horror movie stalker.

They're not superheroes or anything like that, and I don't want this particular encounter to feel like that. Any thoughts on the matter?
>>
>>45998855

Perhaps a persistent AoE effect? A halo of thorns or weakness would be a good incentive to not just get up in its face.

For really big monsters, I like to treat them Grandia-style - each major body part acts on its own - but that doesn't work so much when it's small.

Perhaps a venomous snake-tail? Or very fast regeneration that can be bypassed by those chemicals or fire?
>>
>>45998855
The demonic firm will need a particular death to truly vacate the mortal it's inhabiting. Decapitation, wounds from a specific source (fire?, silver?), or maybe even the removal of a specific item or trinket (an amulet that granted power. Or a totem/fetch nearby that needs to be broken first before he can be wounded).
>>
>>45998855
If a boss is going to take on a group alone it should have Extra Attack or Altered Time Rate*. I prefer ones that either deal a lot of knockback of inflict a non-lethal affliction.
*I like to give them Altered Time Rate with a +0% mod that they go at basic speed and get a second turn at basic speed -2. This tends to break up the player's turns with a second action by the bad guy and keep you from having that thing where a dragon/monster dose 5 attacks then stands there while the players wail on it, then goes again. It also resets the bad guy's defenses, keeping them from being overwhelmed by the player's greater numbers.
>>
>>45998855
Remember the daemon is likely to have the skill to aim around the torso, so trauma plates guy is going to be down to whatever his DR is on his arms or legs.

For a boss I'd make the daemon inhumanly fast. Basic Speed 8 or so gives a dodge of 11, making it a huge pain in the ass to hit it with a gun especially if it has acrobatic dodge or retreats in a clever way. This saves you from needing to give it so much DR that baseball bats and knives won't hurt it.
>>
>>45998855
You may want to give it some way to notice attacks coming from behind so a PC standing behind it can't spam All-Out Telegraphic attacks to the Skull for massive damage.

Alternatively, make it slow-moving but really deadly at close range so the PCs have to keep their distance.
>>
>>45998855
I'm a huge fan of puzzle bosses. Rather than simply bloating the enemies defensive numbers and HP (which turns the battle into a slogfest) or attack and damage values (which may make things a little too Dark Souls in already lethal systems like GURPS), puzzle bosses challenge players to step up their game in a different way. Enemies that can't be hit/damaged until some condition has been met is is classic, whether that be pulling them out of hiding (literally if necessary) or tripping them up or taking down their shield or whatever, but so is working around a body guard/minion horde or setting them up to be hit by something that *can* damage them (falling columns, lava spouts, convenient anti-evil cannon) or whatever else.

The above isn't to say that you can't also include traditional segments as well, though. Wouldn't be much of a boss fight without a fight, right? After the BBEG's Armor of Invulnerability is cracked and discarded, the PCs will still have to face a skilled swordsman/mage/swordmage. It's just that you can make the fight fun and challenging and dangerous without giving the villain a lolfucku attack.
>>
>>45999155
>>45999747
>>45999764
>>45999910
>>46000211
So, keeping all you guys' suggestions in mind, I came up with this.

Give the demon big DR (probably around 5 or 6) that turns most of the player's attacks into little plinks and some Regeneration to heal off the damage that manages to get through.

The DR will get undone by things like fire or acidic chemicals or a huge single attack - a bunch of desks getting pushed down a flight of stairs, getting thrown off the roof, getting slammed by a big heavy cart, etc. Not sure what kind of Disadvantage or Limitation that might be, but I'll work it out.

It'll have Altered Time Rate 1 with the +0% Mod that gives it another turn at -2 Speed and some moderate damage/defensive abilities - I'm thinking ST of 12 or so alongside the claws and maybe Enhanced Defenses +2 for Dodge.

Does this sound good? Any further tweaks you guys would suggest?
>>
>>46000570
Maybe give it DR 6 across most locations but a soft, unarmored area, maybe strikers or a belly with DR 0?

>>46000267
>>46000570

Puzzle fun..

Cat and mouse; Give the daemon regeneration 1/hp per minute and have it attack viciously, trading blows and not minding if it gets hurt as long as it gets to hurt the players in turn, then flee when it's injured, leaving a trail of blood.

After it flees it will try to heal, then ambush the players again. Given time it will wear them down, but every time it breaks away they have a chance to regroup and prepare, then try and hunt it down or set their own traps and ambushes. If they can't outsmart the deamon, they are dead.

Or..

The Berserker; Give the Deamon Berserk and a high level of Hard to Subdue. When they knock it under 0 HP it goes absolutely crazy. They can try and hammer it to -5xHP and kill it dead, or flee and keep away from it until it collapses.
>>
>>46000570
Games (Poker) - 12
Quirk - "I am the world's best poker player."
Make your player's background skills useful.
>>
File: devil-with-fiddle.jpg (102 KB, 500x596) Image search: [Google]
devil-with-fiddle.jpg
102 KB, 500x596
>>46001306
Fiddle contest is more traditional.
>>
>>46000267
To be fair, bloating the enemy Defenses or DR already results in a puzzle boss.

Another good idea for a boss is to throw players a curveball - if they rely too much on one tactic, throw a boss or an enemy that is immune to that tactic, and if they have some weakness, exploit it. If players use pistols, SMGs and shotguns, throw armored enemy at them. If they only have firearms, throw Homogenous enemy at them. If they rely too much on breaking enemy limbs, throw a monster worm at them.
>>
Help me /gurpsgen/. My patron does have
10 point base, x3 almost all the time, Special Abilities +50%, equipment +100%, minimal intervention -50%. (10 x 3)+(100+50-50)%=60
does he cost 60 or am i doing something wrong?
>>
>>46001878
>To be fair, bloating the enemy Defenses or DR already results in a puzzle boss.
True, but I've seen way too many instances of rookie GMs making bosses take forever to kill *and* have the fight take place in once of those featureless gray planes where the only option is surround and poke it to death over the next eight hours. One of my favorite puzzle bosses with a dude encased in a gigantic crystal that flew around, trying to crash into people while helicoptering with his sword (it was a very very high fantasy game). The walls were all gigantic gears. The party was having a tough time of it until I had the rogue's (cheap replaceable nonmagical) cloak get caught between some gears and get torn to shreds; cue the party baiting him into a charging in to the gears.

Dude has insane (but not quite insurmountable) DR, but the puzzle aspect let them speed through what would be a very slow and frustrating fight.
>>
>>46001982
Yep, 60 points.. Minimal interventions means they aren't going to give you much direct aid though. That's a REALLY expensive advantage for being kind of shit.
>>
>>46002131
>>46002061
Yeah, drop it to Often (x1), or raise his power while taking away Special Abilities. What is your patron, in fact?
>>
>>46002222
i'm a squire, he is my knight
>>
>>46002444
Fuck man..

Lose Minimal Interventions and Equipment. Any gear he gives you still belongs to him still, it's on loan to you. (Equipment is for if he gives you things and it's yours, you can sell it or lose it without consequence).

Drop from Almost Always to Often, because when he's around he won't be minimal interventions, he will kill anyone that tries to kill you (you are part of his retinue, an attack on you is an attack on him) and if you get in legal trouble he has your back.

With Almost Always you could count on him having your back in pretty much every fight, but it would be odd because you'd have your boss around ready to give you commands.
>>
>>46002444
Drop his Special Abilities, maybe equipment as >>46002533 said. Honestly, I never understood Special Abilities for anything other than a God. Everything else has a point total, and as such goes into his 'power level'.
>>
>>46002444
Minimal Interventions and Equipment is more Jame's Bond's relationship with MI5. When he rolls their appearance he gets equipment, information and some support, but most of the time if he's in trouble the best they can give him is a voice on the phone saying "yo dog, we heard you got poisoned so we put a antidote in your car so you can drive while you die"
>>
>>46002589
I also use both on my Urban Fantasy game - every character has their Parents as Patrons with Minimal Intervention and Equipment. You can ask your parents for a thing - they might even give it to you. But if they think that it is retarded, they might give some other thing, that THEY think it's better.

Gets my players mad, I tell ya.
>>
>>46002554
+50% special abilities is things like rank, where your patron might be able to throw around more weight then their point total would suggest.
>>
>>46002698
Yeah, but rank has a point cost. So, a 'More Powerful than Players' patron, created as a 150% points... has some form of Rank in those 150% points. You're just paying them twice - once for his points, and once for special abilities. Only reason I can see this working is on reeeeealy low points games. Even a patron on a 50 point campaign already has enough to be a Status 7 Multimillionaire - he just needs tons of Disads - mostly enemies.
>>
>>45989037
Autoduel.
>>
>>46002868

+50% (Special Abilities) is good for things where you wouldn't let a player have.

IE: You want your patron to be the baron that rules the city the game is set in. He's a 150 point character like the PCs, but the GM would never allow them to be the ruler of a city at the start of a street level game of hunting vampires in the shadows of a 16th century city, so special abilities.
>>
>>46003030
But in the end, the patron is an NPC - he does not need to follow PC Creation Rules. If your Vampire Hunters can't be barons, to bad for then, NPCs don't need to obey those rules. You are still just paying the points twice - once for his points, once for special abilities.
>>
How would you translate Super President to GURPS?
>>
>>46003399
I have no idea what this means, but it sounds hilarious. Just some dude with Political Rank 8 and super powers?
>>
>>46003503
Yeah but his super powers are really nutty. I'm not sure how you would turn them into mechanics.
>>
>>46003585
What are they? Wikipedia doesn't say much, only that he changes form and has a Jet on his belt.
>>
>>46003600
>The President now has increased strength and the Metamorpho-like ability to change his molecular composition at will to any form required (like granite, steel, ozone, water and even electricity).
>>
>>46003613
ah, hell. That's some crazy alternate forms there, look up how the DC people who do it get things done (I can't remember names right now, sadly-but there's one guy who is like four different materials, for example)
>>
>>46003613
Shapeshifting (Morph, Unlimited +50%). I don't know what the template for electricity would be, but pure energy might be the most expensive form - so you base your cost on that.
>>
Anyone know any tricks for making thrown weapons somewhat legit for like a gambit character? RPM magic is available btw.
>>
>>46003857
Making shuriken into charms and concealing them on your person to throw at people might be a good trick for sneaky mages.
>>
>>46003288
Just because something has a point cost in GURPS doesn't mean it will automatically be allowed for a PC, or for their patrons and allies. A GM can say no, or slap an extra tax on something.

Unusual Background exist purely to permit a player to have skills, abilities and advantages otherwise not permitted. Special Power (+50%) is just like that. It's there to reflect that the Patron can do things a PC can't, like "be a police department" or "rule a city with an iron fist".

>But in the end, the patron is an NPC - he does not need to follow PC Creation Rules.

Yeah, but if he has exceptional power and influence, out of proportion to his point value, he cost extra as a patron. +50% is a compromise between the player getting the patron and getting told they can't have it at all.
>>
>>46003857
Charm full card deck into external cr ex by Path of Energy.
>>
>>46004286
That'll require hella skill and/or Magery if you want to get 52 card bombs by making them yourself.
>>
>>46004286
>>46004447
Ask very nicely if you can have an inniate attack lets you charge cards with explosive energy, and mark it Magic?

Making 52 bombs charms with RPM is expensive, but it should be.
>>
>>46004286

You could probably enchant yourself with an affliction that lets you make things explode.

Bit tricksy, but that's magic.
>>
File: 1457907911908.gif (499 KB, 500x198) Image search: [Google]
1457907911908.gif
499 KB, 500x198
Umpteenth for stop calling it /gurpsgen/ because it doesn't match my filter and doesn't go on top.
Also, found art for the Asparagus .pdf if anyone is still maintaining it.
>>
>>46006498
Change filter.
Also, GM doesn't allow me to play as asparagus with super powerful cult of followers as allies.
>>
How many skills your characters usually have?
>>
A question for wise.

I would quite like to run a Spec Ops mercenary type game for a group of four. I've got all the books like Martial Arts and Tac-shooting, so I'm covered there.

What is bugging me is the size of the group. Four is only a single fireteam, and I really want there to be a full squad (or SEALS/'Nam platoon). However inviting more people or just adding a roster of NPCs will be difficult to manage and slow things to a crawl.

I really like the comrade-sytem in the FFG 40k Only War system. Basically every PC is given an NPC buddy who is not another full character to keep track of, but acts as a part of the PCs turn and whose actions give various buffs to their "handler". It bulks out the squad without increasing the book-keeping, gives the PCs some backup and offers some neat roleplay on the side.

What would be the best way of handling Comrades in GURPS?
>>
>>46006765
Allies for everyone. Alternatively have the squad leader take Ally Group (n Grunts) along with some leadership and tactics.
>>
>>46006836
The problem there, is that just giving everyone an Ally now means that instead of managing one character in a super-crunchy gearqueer commando game they have to juggle two.

The appeal of a comrades-style mechanic is that it keeps the focus on the PCs and just has the NPC boost thier rolls instead of having to plot out a full turn for each and every one all the time.

I did wonder whether having the comrades provide bonuses in BAD rolls (Action:Exploits) would work but that still leaves the difficulty of keeping things simple when it comes to a firefight.
>>
>>46007120
Will everyone have that option? Or is it something a PC choses to have or not have? If it's the former and every PC has it an no one can opt out, you don't really need to bother pricing it, just apply the rules you want; if my fantasy setting has everyone able to fly and shoot lasers from their eyes, I don't need to track that they have Flight and Tight-Beam Burning Attack.

If you really really need to stat out what you're looking for, the closest you can get is have an Ally with no real abilities themselves, but the PC takes Altered Time Rate 1 and a variety of Talents with the Granted by Familiar (-40%) limitation; as long as their battle buddy is close by, the PC can take an extra turn and does certain things better.

However, I don't think that's really a great idea. WH40K RPGs are much more abstract than GURPS, especially in combat where every combatant is a discrete unit on a grid. If you want battle buddies with less bookkeeping, make all Allies use a single basic template, maybe with a small specialization lens. This goes for gear too. Remember: ALLIES ARE NPCS, NOT SUB-PCS. As the GM *you* are the one that makes the allies and gives them the gear, not the PC. You can make them as streamlined as possible. If you want each buddy to be unique and let the player have more input, relying on wildcard skills can keep things speedy as well. I'd make gear either unchangeable or matching the PCs (e.g. a PC with a LMG means his NPC teammates have LMGs too, making them a heavy weapons squad). If you want to maintain focus on the PCs and not have the allies eat up time, have them default to the boring teamwork maneuvers no PC ever takes.

I had another idea, but I'm out of room, so it's going in the next post.
>>
>>46008365
>cont.

Now that I think about it, there may be another way to keep focus on the PCs in combat: horde rules from Zombies, applied to PCs and their NPC teammates. If you don't have that book, the short of it is as follows:
1) The horde acts as one unit. It takes its turn together, moving and attacking as one.
2) Hordes have to stick fairly close to each other. That's enough of a guideline for gridless combat, but if you're using a hexgrid, the horde's constituents need to be fairly close; anywhere from three units per hex (jam packed mob) to roughly one per five hexes (a giant horde but spread out over a whole city) is enough to trigger horde rules. I'd say sticking to 2-3 hexes should be sufficient..
3) Melee attacks have an effective RoF equal to the number of constituents in a horde and RCL 1. I'd assume ranged weapons have their RoF multiplied by the number of constituents (e.g. a fireteam of three troops, all with RoF 10 weapons, effectively coordinate and shoot at RoF 30)
4) Hordes have HP equal to 60% of its constituents' *total* HP. For a horde of three HP 12 troops, that comes out to (12+12+12)*(0.6) = 22 HP rounding normally. After suffering this much injury, the mob dissipates with some casualties (SQUAD BROKEN). Probably one character is incapacitated or even dead, maybe even two are down for the count, leaving the other member(s) to fight as discrete units. If the PC was the one who fell, control switches to one of the surviving NPCs.

There's also the Battle Drills perk, but that's probably still way too individualized for what you're looking for. I honestly think the best approach is giving each PC two NPC buddies and have them act as hordes.
>>
>>46004024
If it's beyond his power total... then he doesn't have that, or he actually DOES have more points (and thus, costs more as per the 'power level' of the patron). It isn't that hard. If you are playing a game with 50 points, you can easily have the President of the US as patron with no Special Abilities - it isn't hard to have political Rank 8 with 75 points. There is actually no way to have anything without a point cost.
>>
>>46004024
Does anyone actually use Unusual Background? It just seems like a point tax to pay to play a character that doesn't fit the campaign you want to run as the GM.
>>
>>46010848
Pretty much. Only time I used was as a 60 point 'Force Sensitive' on the Campaign I GM with the AnCap Jedi. I have to confess that he's growing on me, actually.
>>
>>46010848
In a meta sense, I use it as a tool that says "if this was required, the power it allows is rare."

One player didn't want to pay unusual background one game to use magic... So magic was common and even mundane people could do a simple ritual here and there... Didn't like it when a band of ritual adepts destroyed him.
>>
File: ddtarget8.jpg (411 KB, 1073x1666) Image search: [Google]
ddtarget8.jpg
411 KB, 1073x1666
I need help stating something like this. Throwing Art, sure, but how do you match the strength without turning the character into The Hulk?
>>
>>46011598
Cinematic perk that bypasses strength caps on throwing weapons and then striking strength (thrown only -60%)?
>>
>>45943993
too much autism for my tastes
>>
>>46011598
1. Make it an innate attack instead.
2. Use limited striking st that only applies to thrown toothpicks.
3. Make a perk that gives +1 damage for every +1 to throwing art skill like the one that exists for wrestling or brawling, can't remember.
4. Maybe imbuements to have the power to make a thrown object really strong.
>>
>>46011225
PCs are exceptional people. They shouldn't sink points into a tax to be less effective at what they want to do. As for the player, I don't think anyone would like anybody trying to destroy them. It being ritual adepts doesn't sound like it factored in at all.
>>
i know how much a peasant earns per year, i know how much he can pay in taxes, i know the population density but i can't find a good way to assign land based on wealth to noble PC's.
Should i do it based on monthly income? give him as much acres as he need to get his wealth level income as taxes?
>>
>>46011804
I think I can agree with this. He was also a special type of that guy though, so I get a little bit of catharsis when I think of how I kicked him out for literally saying that the game could be better "like skyrim" if I were a good gm. And to be clear, that wasn't the reason I kicked him out, but more like one of the final straws that broke the camel's back.
>>
>>46010848
Sure. I have players that tend to want to play some out there concepts, like someone with a daemon inside that is bound by magic.

It's a great tool for justifying something complicated and different.
>>
>>46011920
Why does it need to be justified? Did it not fit the campaign you wanted to run?
>>
>>46008365
>>46008404
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into the horde idea. I realise that translating a mechanic from a more abstract system into a crunchy GURPS game can be difficult at best.
>>
>>46012061

The player wanted to take Exotic and Supernatural advantages that would have been restricted by default and not allowed, but we talked over their concept and I allowed it in return for an Unusual Background.

Normally humans, and even aliens, aren't allowed to take Exotic advantages outside of their racial template. You can't just 'have' regeneration.
>>
>>45999764
but there's no reason why the players can't just delay their turns to all go together, causing the same situation?
>>
File: 304920-2406579-3030_image.jpg (148 KB, 360x278) Image search: [Google]
304920-2406579-3030_image.jpg
148 KB, 360x278
>>46012862
They can. That would be a workable tactic to coordinate their attacks to overwhelm it's defenses.
>>
File: Blaaaah.png (39 KB, 632x415) Image search: [Google]
Blaaaah.png
39 KB, 632x415
Does this shit make sense to anybody?

>inb4 maths

The formula makes sense, I just don't get whats the point of just not accelerating to the desired dV instead of just accelerating, flipping a U turn and then decelerating? Wouldn't you still have use dV to decelerate once you get to your destination. How else are you supposed to stop moving?
>>
>>46014096

I'm not really sure I understand your question. Can you phrase it differently?
>>
>>46014382
Sorry; why not just accelerate all the way to the desired delta-V while going in a straight line, instead of doing what the inlet says, which is to turn about midpoint, then decelerate?
>>
>>46014446
How else do you plan on stopping?
>>
>>46014096
The point is if you have, let's say.. 0.001 meters per second squared acceleration. Your reaction drive is a highly efficient ion engine, so you have enough fuel to run it for months.

This formula lets you know how long it takes you to go from one place to another running your drive the whole time.
>>
>>46014446

The way you have to travel in space is in three phases - acceleration, coast and declaration. If you have enough fuel, you can keep accelerating to go faster and faster. At a certain point, you no longer have time to coast, because you're going so fast, and you have to start decelerating in order to slow down enough to stop where you want to go. The advantage is that you go faster than if you coasted, the disadvantage is it takes a shitton of fuel.
>>
>>46014516
Ahhhhh, okay that makes sense. thnx
>>
>>46014446
Only an option if you have an engine that can burn it's fuel fast, like a chemical rocket. If you have a fusion powered plasma jet, an ion engine or even a nice efficient NTR then you run the engine the whole time.

If you are in the far future and can manage a constant 3-12 meters per second squared you can even make pretend gravity that way by having the engines be 'down'.
>>
>>46011804
>PC's are exceptional

That is an assumption that has no place in a game like GURPS that can be used for any number of themes and settings.
>>
>>46015815
That's still the default assumption the game is built upon. PCs are larger than life heroes, above the common man.
>>
File: 1454996325221.png (128 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1454996325221.png
128 KB, 300x300
Another Space question; if my move is 0.15G/40mps then I can only accelerate to 20mps because I need at least another 20 mps to decelerate, right? Assuming I'm starting and stopping in the middle of nowhere (ie. space vacuum, no orbits).

Thnx GURPSbros
>>
>>46010848
When you buy Unusual Background, what you're paying for with those points is "few or no other people have these kewl powerz I'm justifying with this, so nobody has defenses set up to deal with it or anything like that."
>>
>>46016075

You could totally accelerate to 40mps if you wanted to, you'd just be shit out of luck if you wanted to stop. Unless there was an atmosphere nearby to aerobrake with. Or a moon to lithobrake.
>>
>>46015869

I agree with the other anon. The game's default assumptions are that PCs and NPCs differ only in point value. There's no player exceptionalism inherent in GURPS, nor is there any default point value.
>>
>>46016544
>lithobraking

Anon you are a genius, this will revolutionise space travel.
>>
>>46017084
Don't forget the more general Rapid Unplanned Disassembly.
>>
File: tumblr_ngfv0omYnb1qj5qvfo4_1280.jpg (499 KB, 999x1502) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ngfv0omYnb1qj5qvfo4_1280.jpg
499 KB, 999x1502
>>46016075
Kind of.

IRL, different missions require different delta-v budgets. Pretty much every object in space is moving relative to each other, and large objects have gravity that lets you change direction without slowing down, and even to get more energy.

If you want to go from one object to another and they are both at rest with each other you need to spend exactly as much energy slowing down as you did speeding up.

If one object is moving away from another you need to spend their difference in velocity extra speeding up, but you don't have to spend it slowing down to get to 0 speed relative to that second object.

Imagine catching up with a train that is rolling away from you at 3 miles an hour. You accelerate to an 8 mile an hour run and slow down when you hop on, shedding 5 miles an hour. Your total delta v for the trip was 13 miles per hour.
>>
>>46016544
>>46017084
>>46019033
I love you GURPSGEN
>>
If you have 8 points banked are you better off buying 2 more levels of broadsword to go from 15 to 17 for more general attack options or weapon bond and 3 points of something else?
>>
>>46022164
Buy a 50% Ally Minion that is constantly with you. And Weapon Bond costs 1 point, so you'd buy it, and would still have 7 for anything else..
>>
>>46011896
bump.
help me/spoiler]
>>
File: 1456040362769.jpg (51 KB, 564x1071) Image search: [Google]
1456040362769.jpg
51 KB, 564x1071
My party spent more time debating the ethics of enslaved demonic allies than actually fighting beastman hordes

I had so much FUN!

Also; fuck you DST
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.