[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MtG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: Magic the gatheirng.png (190 KB, 617x239) Image search: [Google]
Magic the gatheirng.png
190 KB, 617x239
Magic Tech Financial Speculating Edition

Post your success stories of swindling Painter's Servant, Angel's Grace, Worship and Simian Spirit Guide from unknowing vendors.

Secret tech is haram and punishable by gouging of the eye
>>
Worship will go back down once everyone realize how shit it is.
>>
>>45318006
am I the only one who is getting fairly sick with these intense spikes and general over-speculation in all parts of the MtG community?

I really wish the super secret mtgfinance cabal could give it a rest or WotC could somehow make it easier to play non-online Magic
>>
>>45318035
it was probably just one guy speculating and hoping to drive a craze

it might have even worked out for him depending on how savvy he was
>>
>>45318006
>Simian Spirit Guide
They're 10$+ now?

wtf happened? I picked up some years ago for a silly pauper madness deck.
>>
>>45318096
they're used in a bunch of modern strategies and are one of the few modern fast mana sources that aren't banned
>>
>>45318006
>investing in hate cards for the Eldrazi menace
>not investing in the Eldrazi menace before it is too late

something something stupid
>>
>>45318103
Should I be selling these things off then, asap?

I haven't played in years.
>>
>>45318096
They were 22 yesterday

>>45318123
ALWAYS sell into the hype
Don't be a retard like me and buy cards in the beginning of the spike and expect them to spike even harder. I bought 5 Worship at 5 dollars each and I'm pretty sure they're gonna drop right back down to bulk.

4x Angel's Grace I bought for 4 each, 8xSSG for 5, 4xPainter's Servant for 10 dollars each
These seem like decent prices for all of them, but you forget you'll probably only sell the cards for half of the "real" price, so I've already lost a buncha money on SSG

Sell, sell, sell!
>>
>>45318073
Yeah I have no idea who drives the prices so hard
It's not casuals because they have no idea about anything
Most speculators I've seen are reactive and just buy into the hype early, then sell when hype is at its height, but who hypes it enough to affect prices in this way? Is supply really so limited that it's just grinders who wanna try a new deck?
>>
>>45318123
yeah I'd sell

way moderns going they could end up banned anyways
>>
File: 1401157724110.jpg (16 KB, 346x322) Image search: [Google]
1401157724110.jpg
16 KB, 346x322
>Play pauper and EDH
>tons of shitty jank cards
>retards speculating on Modern allow me to sell garbage for 5-6x what it's worth almost monthly

I love this format and the retards who play it.
>>
Reminder that your current options in competitive Modern right now are:

1) Buy a deck that's only going to get banned and become worthless in 2 months
2) Lose to the deck that's going to get banned in 2 months
>>
>>45318155
>SSG
>banned
I want off this wild meme
>>
>>45318167
you want legacy then
>>
>>45318161
I like that turbofog worship garbage stuff looks like it's got game against Eldrazi (30/70 at best in favor of Eldrazi), because this means Wizards might not emergency ban it

I think if it lasts a month, Ugin spikes to infinity, then crashes in April after banlist update
If it doesn't get banned in April though...

>>45318172
I like having both my kidneys even more, so until China gets its shit together and starts making some better counterfeits, I'm stuck with playing better games than non-Eternal Magic
>>
>>45318183
At this point it almost looks to me as if Bant Turbofog might turn into the new Splinter Twin; the police that holds aggro down so that other archetypes can flourish.
>>
Why does affinity usually run galvanic blast instead of dispatch?
>>
>modern no ban list tourney
I'm leaning towards Agent of Bolas control because I'm expecting a lot of degenerate shit like Storm and Shoal Infect, send help?

4 Mental Misstep
2 Spell Snare
3 Chalice of the Void
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Dismember
2 Damnation
4 Thoughtcast
4 Cranial Plating
2 Etched Champion
4 Arcbound Ravager
3 Broodstar
1 Wurmcoil Engine
2 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
4 Chrome Mox
3 Mox Opal
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Glimmerpost
4 Vault of Whispers
>>
>>45318155
I'll take a look. The last time I sold cards, I sold goyfs for ~30 a piece to fund a ticket to sasquatch. Totally worth it, and I'd do it again, I just expected them to be banned. ~_~
>>
>>45318268
Was in 2007? I think
>>
>>45318258
Wait, is Bant Turbofog even favored against Eldrazi?

It seems too qt
>>
>>45310094
Dredge is and will be the designated shitplayer genocider, this makes wizards very fucking angry.
>>
>>45318285
All the Eldrazi deck has is combat damage. A few timely Fog effects can hold them at bay to Verdict their dreams away.
>>
>>45318325
and hand disruption

and counterspells

and chalice
>>
>>45318265
>not playing postcontrol
>>
>>45318325
Except when they just use chalice of the void and you cant fog anymore.
>>
>>45318325
See the problem in my mind here is that you have to build the deck around 4 things

Having the Fogs to stall
Having the Wraths to stabilize
Having the actual CA, not virtual CA, to keep doing those things
Having a resilient wincon that isn't a nonbo with your main gameplan (so probably no creature-based wincons)

Because of Modern's lack of filtering and CA in general, it feels like you'll just end up with the wrong half of your deck at any given point in time, but I could of course be wrong and the deck is redundant enough and resilient enough against whatever the Eldrazi do to stop you, that you don't just instalose once they start packing more interaction.

Has it had any results or is this purely at the theorycrafting stage?
>>
File: disrupting-shoal[1].jpg (68 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
disrupting-shoal[1].jpg
68 KB, 480x680
>>45318346
>>45318332
There are extremes you can go to.
>>
>>45318353
What would you even exile in a turbofog deck against Chalice on 1? Logic Knot?
>>
>>45318353
and they aren't better than being the one who is threatening
>>
>>45318265
This got 4th in the first recorded no ban list tourney http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-08-15-ub-tezzeret-control/
Some questions, Why play chalice as anything but a 4 of? Why play mental mistep with chalice assuming you're going to cast it on 1?
Cranial plating, arcbound ravager, broodstar and etched champion are not generally includes for a control deck. Wurmcoil seems like sb material, 6 mana is likely too high for delver and unimportant vs control decks, seems only good against midrange.
Have you done any testing at all?
>>
>>45318395
No, I havent. Literally slapped this together while eating breakfast and figured Id get help from you guys before wasting my time since Im not the greatest deckbuilder.

Thanks for the link.
>>
>>45318365
this is the problem with modern, you can try to answer a ridiculously varied field of threats with answers, or you can "answer" them by killing them as fast as possible
>>
>>45318262
4 is usually enough to kill the relevant threats, and 4 damage to the face closes games.
>>
>>45318346
>Implying you play only 1 Mana fogs
Cryptic command is a 4 mana fog + other good stuff
Dawn charm is a fog but anti burn
Riot control is a fog + lifegain, good against burn and eldrazi
>>
>>45318472
nice one anon you've solved the format

it was so obvious
>>
>>45318472
>Cuck's command
cucked and genocided on t3.
>Dawn charm
Useless
>Riot cucktrol
Cucked and genocided before it OR just delayed it 1 turn.

>MY MEMEDECK IS GUD!!! GUUUUUUDDDDD!!!11
>>
>>45318541
>cuck's command
>not cryptcuck cuckmeme
>>
File: 1410814155842.jpg (134 KB, 799x625) Image search: [Google]
1410814155842.jpg
134 KB, 799x625
>>45318541

Go back to /v/ with your awful meme
>>
>>45318006
>spending time and money bulding a shitty deck that loses to everything else besides the 1 deck that is gonna get banned in 2 months anyway

don't do that unless you are retard
>>
So, why isn't Chalice of the Void banned if it causes this many problems?
>>
What do I do with my expedition strip mine? sell or trade it away or hold onto it? I can't into mtg finance at all.
>>
>>45318719
>get called out
>L-LE GO BACK O LE /v/!!!!!
>>
>>45318765

Because Eldrazi will still fuck shit up without it and it's a decent sideboard option in other decks to deal with shit stuff that they can't keep up with.
>>
>>45318765
Because you can't turn 1 it without SSG or the other guide and Wizards doesn't want you casting 1 drops after turn 1.
>>
>>45318779
>shit stuff

stuff*
>>
I played about three hours worth of games with/against colorless and red/blue Eldrazi. For junk it's near unwinnable if they have a decent hand. For aggro strategies it's possible but you have to be on the play or you lose.
Turn one reality smasher is disgusting btw.
>>
>>45318778

I'm not even the guy you were talking to /v/ermin, but no one likes your kind here.
>>
>>45318793
Colorless is the faster Eldrazi deck, right?

I think that its capable of beating U/R eldrazi after seeing how that deck flows, but you can't beat bad mulligans.
>>
>>45318779
>Decent sideboard option
>Outright shuts down decks and gives you the win

Thats a bit more than "decent"
>>
>>45318796
Nice samefag, cuckmeisser.

You got memedern meme'd and now you're upset, might you enjoy www.reddit.com? because methinks you do.
Now fuck off back there and take your shitbrew with you
>>
>>45318821

>being this underage
>>
>>45318812
Yeah. It just feels like a better deck imo, but UR is favored against it.
UR didn't feel good, felt very janky to me. Obligator was the only colored card in it I liked at all.
Also its hard to mulligan bad with these decks. You have a sol land and you're g2g
>>
>>45318821
Tbf you sound like the one who just got here from Reddit
>maybe if I use their "lingo" I'll fit in better
>>
>>45318265

>Not playing thopter sword combo

Come on man are you even trying
>>
>>45318765

Chalice of the Void actually isn't a problem for the most part. Things like Abrupt Decay and Cavern of Souls will still go through it.
>>
>>45318969
Yea, but my Burn deck won't.

Gonna have to sell it and buy a new deck now.
>>
>>45318006
I'm tempted to build a burn deck that wins on turn 4 with Hidetsugu's second right, using grove of the burn willow to help boost them back up in life if it drops below 10. Not consistent at all, just basing it off a cool play I saw this weekend.
>>
So, with Madness returning in SOI, do you think it'll be possible do build a decent deck around it? Some obvious enablers are LotV and Baby Jace, Lotleth Troll works too if there are good creatures.

>inb4 all the new Madness cards are trash
>>
>>45319148

Sounds neat, but an untapped fetch will ruin your day.
>>
>>45318838
>>45318829
>t. buttgenocided redditourettes

Don't you have a shitbrew to pretend it's good?
>>
>>45319148
>t1
>t2
>t3
>t4
dead
>>
>>45318775
Best IMO is to pucatrade it away
>>
>>45319219
Yeah, it would have to be more of a tempo-style thing that suddenly kills them on 10 life out of nowhere
>>
>>45319243
So, you want to grab a good deck...
then make it bad
>>
>>45319259
>homebrewing in a nutshell.jpg
>>
>>45319236
>Pucatrade

I like the service, but at the same time don't get your hopes up on someone sending you a Fetchland or something.

I sold my Expedition for cold hard Ebay bucks
>>
File: 20160121_205348.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160121_205348.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Just got these fuckers for 12.50 a piece
How did I do?
>>
>>45319042
burn should be able to adapt to chalice. add destructive revelry AND smash to smithereens in your SB. if the chalice hype dies down you can change back to w/e
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 375x523
Hey guys I'm playing a fairly stock Abzan Midrange list right now. I have pretty decent game against most aggro strategies at my local store because of kitchen finks and feed te clan but I just fold to the couple of Tron and Eldrazi players. I've come to the decision I need 2 or 3 more hard removal spells in the deck, but having a hard time finding good ones. Is it safe to play Doom Blade or Slaughter Pact right now? Doesn't seem like a lot of black creatures in the meta currently.
>>
>>45319505
>Adapt to Chalice

If it drops Turn 1, then its a Game 1 auto-loss, unless you plan to run Revelrys Mainboard.
>>
>>45319491
who keeps posting this?
>>
>>45319491
I'd give a meme/meme. Good job on spending over $40 on a joke.
>>
>>45319562
Oh and keep in mind that you need to board out most if not all of your creatures Game 2.

I'm planning to add a third Deflecting Palm in mi SB but the burn deck can only go so fast whereas Eldrazi can win as soon as Turn 2 or Turn 3 consistently.
>>
>>45319562
if eldrazi decks popped up locally and I knew they were the biggest problem I'd have to deal with yeah I'd probably start main boarding some hate.

I actually had smash to smithereens main for about a month because there were 8 affinity players at the shop, where the average turn out is less than 20 people.
>>
I had the list before the Pro Tour from online testing and bought all the cards. Just flipped them for 650+, not bad. Wish I had bought more mimics at 1.25, but what can you do.

If you had an inside track on PT testing, I think you could really speculate and make a lot of money. At PT Caw Blade the team bought almost all the Stoneforge Mystics that were online and casually made 2000$+, which is nice.
>>
>>45319623
Yea, I guess that its based on your local meta

I've only heard of one person who picked up B/W Eldrazi, but I'll see how the Eldrazi turnout is this week.
>>
File: disgust.jpg (28 KB, 524x336) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
28 KB, 524x336
>>45319195
Wow, I have never cringed while on 4chan, but you did it.
Not even the guy you were talking to.
>>
File: victor-adame-tajuru-path-warden.jpg (280 KB, 1361x993) Image search: [Google]
victor-adame-tajuru-path-warden.jpg
280 KB, 1361x993
Worship and painter both sound a bit shit when people are running ratchet bomb and dismember. Who the fuck is buying all these cards? They don't seem like wonderful options to me at least
>>
>>45320043
>diversify cmc among hexproof dudes
Worship now has some protection from Ratchet Bomb.
>Dismember
>working against hexproof
>>
>>45320106
I think the idea is that ratchet bomb hits worship and dismember hits painter.
>>
>>45320122
All WotC needs to do is print a void winnower esque card that just hits things 5 or more. Make it a red card that burns them for 3 every time they cast a 5+ spell.

They will just ban eye and print a new better version in the Emerakuel set.

Remember a year ago when they said they didn't want to police modern in their card design and people thought delve and prowess was the worst that could happen?
>>
>>45320169
>delve and prowess was the worst that could happen

I don't remember anyone saying that. Especially not about prowess.
>>
>>45320270
I just threw it in there because swiftspear is a better 1 drop than delver and has displaced the entire deck setup as a response.

Everyone was aware of dig and cruise being banworthy, just no one wanted to ban them because they like recalling. having cruise and dig in the same set alone was suspect.

As a ex-pod player, let them ban everything. fuck wizards. I will be eternally salty.
>>
>>45319151
But anon, you're forgetting the best madness enabler ever..... Tibalt.
>>
>>45320337
>As an ex-player of MTG that used an unbalanced as fuck card with no consecuences or reprisal.I will be eternally salty that the format is better without said card.

Fixed. The game is better without cancer like you. The same goes for the Twin apologist, get fucked, your cancerous deck deserved to die, you're next Affinity, Tron, Infect and Zoo, all will die and we will finally return to 10+ turns Master Race formats.
>>
>>45320499
Alerta, alerta!
>>
>>45320499
go home Abzan goat fucker
you are drunk
>>
>>45318353
Would Commandeer also be a good sideboard card for this hypothetical Bant Turbifog deck?

I hope we can actually pitch into this and fighting back against Eldrazi rather than talk about money.
>>
>>45320499
>Affinity, Tron, Infect and Zoo, all will die and we will finally return to 10+ turns Master Race formats.

At first, I thought you were sucking Eldrazi cock. Now I see you're just stupid
>>
I was just going throught BfZ cards in case I missed something

>see Painful Truths
>it is a draw3/eat a Bolt for 3cmc in Jund/Bug/Grixis/Esper
>hory sheet that is good
>see comments

why are people actually comparing this to Read the Bones and say this is crap?
there are people actually saying scry2 is worth more than an additional card

is it me who is out of touch or are these kids today completely beyond hope? how can you even compare scry2 to an additional card
I just don't know anymore
>>
>>45320587
Scry 2 BEFORE draw is worth more than 1 raw extra card if you're digging for something.

In goodstuff.dek the quality of that extra card is so low you don't care.
>>
>>45320517
>>45320525
>>45320540
>lalala can't hear ya XD

Found the redditors, in any case if I wanted to play a 1turn flip coin format with + $1000 cost decks I would be playing fucking Yugioh.

This is Magic the Gathering, the game was intended to have long games where skill and cunning where the biggest factors in the duels. Not the current LOL I OTK YOU FIRST XD faggotry that is modern, legacy and vintage.
>>
>>45320587
read the bones can dig up to 4 cards when you need to draw an specific card. but in decks that are solid good stuff that only need cards in hand and don't really care what they are, truths is better
>>
>>45320587
I'd rather just drop a confidant the turn before and Lilliana this turn instead of painful truths.
>>
>>45320624
yeah okay, when you dig for something specific of course you will see one more card with Read the Bones

but the point is where is this "better" and where is Painful Truths "bad"
damn, drawing 3 cards in one of the named colors is insane
this nets you 2 cards as card advantage - I'd say this is Legacy playable

I think I will get me a playset
>>
>>45320733
This is not legacy playable and doesn't even see play in modern.
>turn 3 tap out to play painful truths you draw 3 and lose 3
>pass
>Thanks for the bolt now Swiftspear, Spike, Bolt swing for 3
>>
>>45320694
Why do you think that banning twin/pod helped solve the problem of having too much variance?
No ban modern has more viable control decks than modern does, but your solution to make control viable is to make the ban list twice as large?
I suppose it will eventually work, but neither pod nor twin were particularly bad for the format.
>>
>>45320587
I really like Painful Truths as a one of in Junk. Not sure how I like it in Jund yet though
>>
>>45320788
>cards need to see play in modern to be good
yeah nah cuck, go suck Eldrazi cock

also, it already saw Legacy play as I just found out
Chapin played it in Esper Mentor
also, Grixis lists are currently testing it

I think Grixis is the home here
also they are dirt cheap, nothing that could go wrong here
>>
>>45320733
The card is nice in control. But honestly, all decks you will face in modern are trying to kill you by turn 3-4, so tapping out and paying 3 life is usually suicide. Even infect now and then go out for the damage route when retards start paying too much life for lands and thoughtseizes.
>>
>>45320865
chapin plays all kinds of loose shit not a great source
>>
>>45320694
Yes, not like turn 1 kills weren't in magic from the start.
>>
>>45320799
For me personally the only ban worthy thing in the pod modern was it's burn, and it could've been handled better - by banning one key burn element that is NOT lightning bolt. Anything really, just to make deck slightly less consistent. Pod was fine, twin was fine, cruise and dig was more then fine. There were really good bans like artifact lands, skull or dread, and then there are incredibly stupid ones. It was like 3 twin decks in 2015 champ. Why was it banned?
>>
>>45318073
>am I the only one who is getting fairly sick with these intense spikes and general over-speculation in all parts of the MtG community?

The only reason it's happening is because people have lost faith in Kikes of the Coast's ability to reprint cards. Inquisition of Kozilek opened the floodgate when it became apparent that they're not going to reprint good cards anymore and instead shit like Felidar Sovereign.

Return to Innistrad is just going to make it worse.
>>
>>45320998
>Return to Innistrad is just going to make it worse.

Oh boy, can't wait for the Lili and Snap buyouts
>>
>>45321087
may as well do it now since neither are getting reprinted in standard, lili was literally called out by name as a card that is too strong for standard and snapcaster is even stronger
>>
>>45320998
Thing is, that just plain doesn't matte for WotC. The only formats they give a shit about are Standard and Limited, everything else is just there as an afterthought and something to intrigue newbies with.
>>
>>45321113
wizards cares a lot about commander too, but only in so far as printing new cards for it
>>
>>45321098
To be fair LotV in the same standard Gary was in would have been disgusting.
>>
File: IKT0CIm.jpg (57 KB, 525x503) Image search: [Google]
IKT0CIm.jpg
57 KB, 525x503
>Abloobloo we can't get good new cards for Modern because Standard babies can't stand it !

>Turns out the new best Modern deck is 70% composed of cards from the two latest sets

And this, people, this is why nobody takes this place seriously.
>>
>>45321098
I played innistrad standard and lilianna was not a power house. That card would be fine in standard. I have no clue why wotc is watering down the power level of sets. Khans was a good set, but theros, BFZ are pretty weak. I just don't understand
>>
>>45321250
These cards weren't designed to be good. It's pretty clear at this point that R&D just forget that Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple existed. The fact that Reality Smasher went from 4 anus mana to 1 anus and 4 should tell you that.
>>
>>45321297
honestly khans was pretty weak too, it was just the delve shit that really left a mark and that was eternal
>>
>>45321297
peaks and valleys anon. they also know what is considered "high end" for a spell or ability (bolt vs shock and how much drawing a card is worth are examples) and will reserve them to allow them to piecemeal be a thing.

Some blocks, burn will be above average, some blocks will have recursion being above average.

MtG players want all things to be in their best iteration at all times without realizing that is what vintage and legacy are for.

From personal taste, if the rock isn't a good archetype in a given standard, standard isn't in a good place.
>>
>>45320624
>>45320704
>>45320721
>>45320863

It's pretty awsome in a Death's Shadow deck
>>
>>45321121
Commander is a playground for the designers where they can just throw shit around they'd LIKE to make, but would break Limited or Standard. It's a way to blow off steam and go wild in an environment where it doesn't fucking matter. They aren't interested in actually managing the format in any way.
>>
>>45321297
>BFZ is weak

Have you seen the last PT ?
>>
>>45321381
the broken part of the deck is the fast mana, which isnt from bfz

the eldrazi themselves are just moderate standard power level midrange creatures, the reason its broken is the fast mana means they're all severely undercosted
>>
>>45321250
The harsh truth is that Wizards doesn't design or playtest for Modern, outside of some outliers. Modern was a way to create a new high profile revenue lane for the big secondary sellers because Vinate was dead and in the water and Legacy was withering away, nothing more, nothing less.
>>
>>45321381
The UR deck was the same OGW shell abusing 8 sol lands. That was what won matches. The BFZ cards merely gave it an edge against the other Eldrazi decks.
>>
>>45321326
For the most part yeah, but siege rhino is a pushed card. Khans block reminds me of Zendikar block power wise. Mostly because of the fetch lands.
>>
>>45321356
>From personal taste, if the rock isn't a good archetype in a given standard, standard isn't in a good place.
Is rock something more specific than gbx midrange? If not, shit taste.
>>
File: Thought-Knot+Seer.jpg (34 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Thought-Knot+Seer.jpg
34 KB, 223x311
>>45321303
>These cards weren't designed to be good

Pic related

>R&D just forget that Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple existed

Now you are just being delusional.
>>
>>45321378
I really felt let down that the planewalker commanders were such non cards. they are just planeswalkers that have common cards as their abilities. Solid Freyalise was particularly shitty.

>>45321381
BfZ is insanely weak, OGW is alittle better for a single archetype. overall the sets are really shit. A lot of rares in both sets that should have been uncommon ( a trend I hope they stop very very soon as even pros complain about it).
>>
>>45321303
>R&D forgot

No, they just didn't test for it.
Ian Duke clearly stated it during the PT.
>>
>tfw I just want to make a janky tier 3 memedrazi pile for legacy
Jam in all the Sol lands!
>>
>>45321356
It's annoying that they print another clone of incenerate, but think bolt or mana leak is to good for standard.

>>45321381those cards are only enabled by cards from other sets. The eldrazi are good, yes, but BFZ is no where near the same as NPH, or KTK
>>
>>45320955
what WERE old turn 1 kills like?
what was the earliest set we could do this in? im curious
>>
>>45319195
Stop being autistic.
>>
>>45321421
Thought Nazi was designed to be playable, not to be a format crushing piece of shit by coming down on turn 2. Small Eldrazi creatures are as big of a design mistake as Delve. With Delve they unestimated how easy it was to fill a yard in Vintage/Legacy/Modern, and with small Eldrazi they forgot Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple existed.
>>
>>45321414
no x, just green black. junding em out is what newfags do. Its a control deck, midrange wasn't a thing back then, and shouldn't be except wizards hates control now.
>>
>>45321462
Black Lotus+Channel+Fireball
>>
>>45321462
Alpha? 29x Lotus, 30x Ancestral Recall, 1x Fireball.
>>
>>45321459
they've been tinkering with some counters for UU that need a stipulation to cast on UU. its only a matter of time before actual counterspell is back in rotation.

It would coincide with a 'new' modern I'd assume.
>>
>>45321462
from day 1. Mountain, black lotus, channel. pop lotus for GGG, use 2 of it to cast channel, turn 19 life into mana, use the last G to make it 20, tap the mountain and cast fireball.

GG ez no re, pay up that ante.
>>
>>45321465
>don't get new powerhouses
>Complains

>get powerfull shit
>Complains even more

They'll eventually ban Eye of Ugin/Eldrazi Temple anyway. And I bet you'll find a way to complain about that too.
>>
>>45321519
People want powerful cards, not format destroying/warping pieces of shit. We want a powerful draw spell, not fucking Ancestral Recall. Nobody asked for powerful creatures though.
>>
>>45320998
There is a reason shitty chinamen are getting popular: doing what wizards don't want to
>>
Is this ok? Beginner.

3 x Sunblade Elf
2 x Relic seer
1 x Knight of the white Orchid
1x Consul’s Lieutenant
1 x Cleric of the forward order
4 x Kinsbaile Skirmisher
1 x Undercity Troll
4 x Timberland Guide
2 x Knight of the pilgrim road
4 x Primal Huntbeast
1 x Rhox Maulers
4 x Divine Favor
4 x Nimbus Wings
1 x Reprisal
3 x Titanic Growth
10 x Plains
11 Forests
2 x Sunpetal Grove
2 x Selesnya Guildgate
>>
>>45321558
Honestly you have a lot to learn before it's worth posting in this thread. I recommend the standard thread over at >>45287622 for a new player.
>>
>>45318073
I started playing in Onslaught block. I was a spike immediately and traded into most of my good stuff with piles of fun junk. Biggest problems now is the death of kitchen table culture. Now whenever trading is an option the kids whip out their smart phones and go for precise monetary equivalence. So whoever sets the prices on things effectively prices trades out of the equation all-together. Even those hole in the wall shops that used to be isolated have computers behind the desk and will price their cardboard relative to SCG or another retailer of their choice.
>>
File: where.jpg (117 KB, 510x755) Image search: [Google]
where.jpg
117 KB, 510x755
>>45321548
>not format destroying/warping pieces of shit.

Where were you not a long time ago when bloom/twin were banned ? This place was on fire.
>>
>>45321519
>-50c, its too cold
>+50c, its too hot
Make up your mind
>>
>>45318006
So is ad nauseam becoming a tier 1 deck now?
>>
>>45321572
Thank you. Sorry for the bother.
>>
>>45321490
>Newfags don't know about dem Channel
>>
>>45321477
>Its a control deck
Eh, the original or what?
>midrange wasn't a thing back then
What? You mean the name wasn't prevalent? The archetype has definitely existed for a while.
>>
>>45318073

No you are not.

Unfortunately this won't change until people stop handing over their shekels at these ridiculous prices.

I can't believe people talk about a $40 card as "affordable." That's almost as much as your average videogame, and more than enough to buy three 6-packs of beer. For a piece of cardboard. It's insane.
>>
>>45321625
Too slow lol
>>
>>45321725
>We want a slow format
>Instead of allowing decks that slow the format down and let figure itself out, we just ban any decks that get too fast! Genius!
>>
>>45321625

Combo decks are only good if they can consistently combo on turn 1 now.
>>
>>45318161

3) Spend serious money on anti-Eldrazi tech that's only going to last 2 months, then lose agaisnt everything else because there are only so many sideboard slots.

Hooray for Magic. I think I might as well quit. At least until April. Standard is nearly the same with the fucking Rally deck. Just replace the banning with rotation.
>>
>>45321725
It placed really well at the regionals and even won two of them. It looks like people are buying the pieces to ad nauseam as well.
>>
>>45321725
That's why you maindeck 4 Darknesses from now on. You can take a hit or two after the fatties are cast on turns 2 and 3 for Mimic copies, especially with Phyrexian Unlife to which they don't have an answer beyond TKS, which gets shut down by Leylines post-board.
>>
>>45318346
>Le chalice turn 1 meme
>Le TKS turn 2 ripping your only response meme
>>
>>45321769
Feels like Hearthstone in here.
>>
>>45321668
The Rock is from Apocolypse era magic, while not the first 'deck' (the first deck was literally just called "the deck") it was one of the first actual archetypes. the only archetypes were aggro (weenie rush), control (draw go), or combo (real combo).

Midrange was just jank, as it should still be. aggro and control were focused enough that a deck of 4 mana 4/4s couldn't compete. combo was an actual archetype instead of iffy aggro.

Look up pernicious deed and spiritmonger. add treetop villages and the rest of the deck is disruption.

It was from a different time anon, a better time. People use jund over rock for reasons, but way back when, GB could do everything Jund could and better thru consistency.
>>
>>45321858
Spiritmonger used to be insane. Game sure has become garbage now.
>>
so a couple days to a couple weeks ago somebody posted a monoblack life-loss deck using things like the black command, bump in the night, and syphon soul does anyone have that list?
>>
>>45321858
The Rock was phyrexian plaguelord, hermit druid was the millions.
>>
>>45321858

Man, how did we go from that to 100% mirange Standard?
>>
>>45321113

Modern had a good run, but it's limited design space is starting to show. Without a revamp of the format it will need to be killed off.
>>
>>45322040
>limited design space
What do you mean by that?
>>
>>45322080

With such a large card pool consisting of so many good cards, it's very difficult to design new cards for the format without risking completely breaking it, or just making the strong decks stronger.

Much in the way Eldrazi just did
>>
>>45322020
creatures being better on average and spells being worse. WotC literally pushed the archetype the way they push chase rares.

The closest thing to old control we had recently was Rev decks using a single elspeth and a single jace as wincons. I remember watching a pro tour during that standard and a guy plays some cranial extraction type effect and names rev instead of elixir of immortality not knowing the actual wincon is the elixir in the matchup. Small aside but it isn't just the game that has changed, the players have too. They aren't as smart as they were back then, or the game now allows for sloppier play to still net you a good result more often.
>>
>>45322040

The problem is that there is no way to stop Modern from becoming "Linear City, USA" without a card like FoW and the idiotic bans they have applied to the format.

I say bring back Extended.
>>
How do you chalice on turn 1 if you need (XX)?
>>
>>45322040
Wizards just fucked up. They did it in the past many times. Look at the fucking artifact lands or skullclamp. They also now completely fuck up bans, using them completely at fucking random. And they would now hesitate to ban their fuckup, because they just baned a completely fine card.
>>
>Chalice is totally fine!

>except it shuts down all the decks fast enough to kill Eldrazi

>while all the decks that could go over Eldrazi can't because you don't go over Reality Shapers and Endless Ones also nice Abrupt Decay that doesn't do shit against anything else

El Drizzle should be sacrificing its early game to out-midrange Midrange, instead it just fucks everything up for everyone everywhere forever while holding multi-archetype staples hostage thanks to running Chalice.
>>
File: image:69021.jpg (60 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:69021.jpg
60 KB, 312x445
I love this card so much. Thinking of finishing Jund just to play it.
>>
>>45322080
WotC is very very reluctant to make new cards that can make it in modern by displacing existing cards. If they just print better versions whats the point to playing modern over vintage? Like >>45322106 said there is already a huge pool, its also hard to create truly new cards (even card naming conventions have gotten inbred as a result). Then there is the problem of hurting feel feels. How many decks with the new Eldrazi decks force out until it is dealt with?

The only time a new thing happens in modern now is when wizards straight up misses it. Delve and eldrazi were because wizards took a new approach of fucking off with modern and letting it be a shitshow, then they will swoop in and create a new better fixed modern a few years from now to save us.

Them saying they don't really care to police modern anymore should have been a bigger red flag that modern is gonna be the wild wild west than most people thought it to be.
>>
>>45318743
>implying I'm building the deck
>implying I'm not gonna just resell the cards in a few days when hype reaches maximum velocity
>>
>>45322196
Im experimenting with a copy in Kiki-Chord. He gets blasted off the board so fast its hilarious.
>>
What should I play if I want a relatively cheap, fun and competitive deck to play in Modern ?
>>
>>45322349
A different format
>>
>>45322349
Boggles
>>
>>45322196
Huntmaster is super fun. He dies a lot but when he sticks it's rude

>>45322349
What's fun for you
>>
>>45322349
eldrazi
>>
>>45322349
eldrazi
>>
>>45322434
>>45322436

>around $1000 dolleridoos
>cheap
>>
>>45322434
>>45322436
Eldrazi is 1000 dollars
>>
>>45322467
>>45322472
>he didn't draft Eldrazi in MM2015
>he didn't draft Eldrazi in BFZ/OGW

Eldrazi is your reward for drafting tentacle monsters.
>>
>>45322196
Huntmaster is great, I run 2 in jund normally, though testing a 1/1 split with him and kia for now just to see.

I'll also be testing kalitas in that spot when I get my hands on him, but huntmaster will always be my homeboy
>>
>>45322427
I'd probably run him as a 3 of in the deck along with 3 Fulminator Mages.
>>
>>45322514
The actual Eldrazi are not the expensive part
>>
>>45322534
>he didn't draft Eldrazi in MM2015

>MM2015
>aka the set that downgraded both Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple by a rarity

DRAFT
R
A
F
T
>>
>>45322349
Is 450 cheap enough for you? Then merfolk.
>>
>>45322397
I want to keep my friends thank you

>>45322427
>What's fun for you
At least some degree of interaction, maybe a combo but not necessarily

>>45322434
>>45322436
Eldrazi isn't either fun or cheap
>>
File: 203.jpg (67 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
203.jpg
67 KB, 312x445
>>45322547
I preordered the Eldrazi core back in January before it spiked. TKS was around 3 euros when I bought my set.
Completing the deck would still cost me around 400 euros
>>
>>45322547

yes because every fucking pack had a temple and an eye. I forgot.

Also there is other really expensive shit like Cavern of Souls, Spellskite and Chalice. That alone is around $300 - $400
>>
>>45322591
>he opened packs instead of drafting

git gud nerd.
>>
>>45322601

>TFW i'm the only one of my friends who enjoys draft.

I don't understand it, it's not like they're even bad at it, a lot of them are better than me. They just hate it.
>>
>>45322393
>standard
>fun
>legacy
>cheap
>>
>>45322627

Then it's either Commander, Pauper or draft.

Or better yet, don't play. Save yourself some money and time. Magic is great, it's among the best tabletop games ever made, without a doubt. But everything around it is so shit.
>>
>>45322623
I like draft. I just like drafting good sets which unfortunately costs about $ 25-30 per person.
>>
>>45322652
>A community that defends and encourages rule lawyering to win games

Truly the worst part about Magic is how hard you can be punished for not "Speaking it" correctly. YOU KNOW WHAT THE FUCKING GUY MEANT.
>>
>>45322652
Commander is awful. God the faggots that play that format.
>go to LGS
>See Commander shitbrewers sitting around and playing
>watch the game from the side
>unsleeved cards almost all basics tons of standard shit they probably obtained by opening packs
>one of the fags goes give my creatures +4/+4 and trample and swing all *laughs maniacally* and I WIN!
>cringe and walk away
>>
File: Image (2).jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image (2).jpg
32 KB, 223x310
>>45322666
You can't make that kind of slipup at the highest possible level of play simply because it WILL get taken advantage of
>>
>>45322627
Legacy can be cheaper then modern. Budget eggs is like 100$.
>>
>>45322703

Probably one of the most shameful things to happen to MTG in recent memory, aside from every cheater not receiving a lifetime ban.
>>
>>45322666
browbeating an opponent or esper charming yourself... no takebacksies!
>>
>>45322744
He explicitly told the judge he named "Borborygmos". Look at that card's name man, it's the exact name.
>>
>>45322703
How many circles are there in this sentence?? theres 6 haha got u outplayed
>>
>>45322777
WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP:
What is Tasigurs full name?
>>
>>45322703

>the word "dirtbag" will never appear on flavor text ever again because it's too offensive or something
>>
>>45322813
Tasigur, the Golden Fang.

A judge would be fine with you just saying "Tasigur" though, because there's no other way of interpreting that. There is no card called "Tasigur".
>>
>>45322744
They had already split, and the guy ended up admitting that it was a dick move. So Not really.
>>
>>45322813
The golden fang.

Come on, this one is easy.
>>
>>45322813
The Golden Fang, are you retarded?
Do you have gold fish memory?
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 312x445
>>45322839
>>45322846
heh kid we all know you would only say tasigur lel get outplayed
>>
>>45322875
That does not have the full name tasigur, nor is it a card that could legally be named by needle.

Try again
>>
>>45322875
But I said

>The creature named Tasigur

There's no other creature named Tasigur, the judge would give you a DQ for sharking.
>>
>>45322875

That donsn't even work with Pithing Needle holy shit.
>>
>>45322875
Of course I'd say Tasigur; there's no other way it can be interpreted besides the Golden Fang. If the original Borborygmos had a longer name like "Borborygmas, the Cyclops", then the judge would've most likely asked for further clarification, but unfortunately he provided the exact name of a card.
>>
>>45322893
You can needle any card in the game

>>45322875
Apart from neckbeards who didn't understand what was going on, no one said this
>>
File: lightning-storm[1].jpg (73 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
lightning-storm[1].jpg
73 KB, 480x680
>>45322900
You realise that your complaint quite literally could not be more irrelevant?
>>
>>45322893
>>45322900
>>45322916
You can needle any LEGAL CARD in the format.
>>
>>45322893
>name a card
>it can't be named
so you agree with me then, since og borb has no activated abilities he can't be named
>>
>>45322916
You can name any card, even if that card doesn't normally have an activated ability. You can't name a token unless that token has the same name as a card.

Huh you're right.
>>
>>45322930
Which is why modern sucks. You can't revoker on "abandon hope"
>>
>>45322935
He can
You can name Birds of Paradise if you want, Pithing Needle is just going to do nothing
>>
Is this deck really working or is it a pile of jank ?

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/277374#online

I might build it if it's good enought to win at FNMs, seems hilarious.
>>
>>45322944
You can't name a token because a token isn't a card
>>
>>45322896
>nuh huh i said "a creature" first
nah you just said tasigur and imma go full nerd plaintiff on your ass kiddo, prepare for legal actions cuz im a GODDAMN LAYWER BRAH
>>
>>45323022
I said creature first, you can't prove me wrong.
>>
>>45322971
It can be ok but it really isn't worth it, might win a few games here and there but it will get dull fast and people will just learn to play around it.
>>
>>45323022
You realize no one is defending rules lawyering right?
You just can't count on your opponent not doing it
>>
>>45323034
OBJECTION gonna need a citation on that last bit
>>
>>45323034
>>45323022
Shouldn't you be in school, or daycare, or something
>>
>>45322971

It works best when no one is expecting it.

If you really want to build it just take it to FNM once every couple months.
>>
>>45323062
I said creature first, you have no evidence to refute me, you can't prove that I did not, you can't prove me wrong.
>>
>>45322973
You could name a Splinter token if you were playing Legacy, because there's a card named Splinter
And it would, unless I misunderstand, prevent that splinter token from using an activated ability, for example if it was enchanted with Splinter Twin to keep things thematic
>>
>>45322973
>You can't name a token because a token isn't a card
You can.
>>
>>45323084
The Splinter token does not have activated abilities unless they errata'd that card
>>
TFW 8RACK Literally fucks up eldrazi.
>>
>had 4 chalices that I bought for super cheap when Modern Masters came out
>traded them at a regional for 2 Misties
I'm certainly not interested in playing that deck, so I might as well sell-off while I can. Also I feel like the price should drop considerably if there are bans.

I'm just not hyped on Magic right now desu. Pre-eldrazi Modern decks are basically unplayable right now. Standard costs a million dollars and doesn't have things I want to do. OGW draft is alright, but doesn't inspire me. And I was going to build a Kozilek EDH deck but after the price spikes the deck now costs $1000+.

I think I'll cool it on Magic for a while.
>>
>>45323118
It does if you put Splinter Twin on it, which gives the creature an activated ability.
Cumulative Upkeep isn't an activated ability, no.
>>
>>45323131
play legacy familia.
>>
>>45323118
>The Splinter token does not have activated abilities unless they errata'd that card
Did you even read his post or just assumed what it said after the first half?
>>
>>45323129

And gets fucked by everything else?
>>
>>45323084
I'm not positive, but my understanding is that in magic names are rigid designators that refer to a single object. So even though they do have the same name, the name latches on to the relevant card.

This could be incorrect, it's just how names work in magic generally.
>>
>>45323146
No I didn't, reading is for dweebs
>>
>>45323129
>a meme outmemes the meme
>>
>>45323084
>thinks the tokens are called Splinter
Christ. Besides, the tokens don't create copies, they just etb trigger untap the original creature with the enchantment on it.
>>
>>45323114
You can't play a pithing needle and name a goblin token or soldier token, or any other token. Because it can only name cards.
>>
>>45321608
>twin powerful, format warping
Ahaha anon, you make me laugh
>>
>>45323174
110.5c A spell or ability that creates a creature token sets both its name and its creature type. If the spell or ability doesn’t specify the name of the creature token, its name is the same as its creature type(s). A “Goblin Scout creature token,” for example, is named “Goblin Scout” and has the creature subtypes Goblin and Scout. Once a token is on the battlefield, changing its name doesn’t change its creature type, and vice versa.
>>
>>45323179
"01/06/2005 You can name any card, even if that card doesn't normally have an activated ability. You can't name a token unless that token has the same name as a card."
>UNLESS that token has the same name as a card
You can, infact, name a token.
Suggestion: Become anhero.
>>
>>45323174
Sure getting stuck on irrelevant details, while missing the big picture.

Can you see the forest behind all those trees anon?
>>
>>45323210
I'm pretty sure that proves you wrong actually.
>>
>>45323210
In that scenario you're not a naming a token BUT A FUCKING CARD THE NAME OF WHICH A TOKEN MIGHT HAPPEN TO SHARE. Are you really this retarded?
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
30 KB, 223x310
Is Pithing Needle the single deepest card in Magic?
>>
>>45323234
No, majority of the player base is just pantsu on head retarded.
>>
>>45323234
>>45323230
>>45323226
Stop samefagginfg
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.