[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So let's say you are making a futuristic cyberpunk-ish setting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 13
File: article-bionic3-11071.jpg (31 KB, 635x529) Image search: [Google]
article-bionic3-11071.jpg
31 KB, 635x529
So let's say you are making a futuristic cyberpunk-ish setting in which you you can change any part of your body with an objectivly more effective prostheses

What could be cons of doing so? The ones I figured so far are
Cost
Maintenance
EMI and hack weakness

Feel free to make up your own

Also, what could be pros of staying fully human ?
>>
>>44430692

Phantom pain. Loss of sensation. With limbs, that cognitive dissonance thing where you don't recognize it as your own. High cost of insurance. Water damage. Obsolescence, possibly within a few years.
>>
>>44430692
Aren't there pretty severe consequences that follow limb amputation? (medically/health-wise that is)

Admittedly I can't really remember, but you don't just lose a huge chunk of tissue and suffer no ill effects.
>>
>>44430751
>With limbs, that cognitive dissonance thing where you don't recognize it as your own.

Psychosis.
>>
>Also, what could be pros of staying fully human ?

Past a certain point, barring including spiritual things like a "soul" or "essence" that is gradually diminished as you become further augmented, very few. It would offer some advantages in niche situations; assuming your brain and eyes are unaugmented, you would be the only one capable of witnessing a Laughing Man-esque terrorist in the act.

I suppose it's dependent on how advanced we're talking. The prosthetics are objectively superior to their natural counterparts, okay. How long has this technology been around? How long since it reached the mainstream? How common are the materials used in their construction? How long does it take for the body to get "acclimated" to a new limb? Is there any or are there any movements to impose legislation on prosthetics to prevent healthy people from cutting themselves up (ie: is this augmentation openly available or a black market thing)?
>>
>>44430692
Go DX:Human Revolution. You need an anti-rejection drug.

Also human pros are being a pleb non-cyborg.
>>
File: sowell_1.jpg (32 KB, 640x325) Image search: [Google]
sowell_1.jpg
32 KB, 640x325
>>44430692
Battery life and weight seem like big ones.

Most people who profess to be transhumanists with their starry-eyed view of prosthetic technology are hopelessly misinformed as to the actual rate at which prosthetic technology has advanced. The Soviets made the first Myoelectric arm in the late 50s (twenty years before MGS V would've taken place, fun fact.) This technology isn't new, and even today there is not a single electric prosthetic on the market that's more effective at basic tasks than a hook. Studies have been done time and time again that show that unless forced to wear them (as children born without limbs often are) almost all amputees eventually abandon myoelectric or robotic limbs in favor of analogue ones.

The reasons vary, but basically it's an issue of reliability and practicality, the unpleasantness of harnesses or suction cups to keep the limbs fitted on, the problems of sweat buildup or heat, battery life, weight, and the delay in action natural to any such device.

Added to this are outrageous overcharging due to the limited market and general fragility. The big shows made of experimental bionics are almost always colleges vying for investors or government funds, they never develop into anything because the same problems are aways there--weight, uncomfortability and battery life.

Basically Elon Musk is going to be living in a palace on Mars long before bionic limbs are actually practical and available.
>>
The lack of Nerves causes a lot of problems.
>>
>>44430692
copy right, you can only use your cyber parts for approved activities
>>
>>44430692
Everything has adware. Your new eyeball is constantly suggesting your manhood be enlarged by 50% for little to no monetary cost.
>>
>>44431528

>would you like a bigger penis?
>where would you like one?
>>
>>44430751
>Obsolescence, possibly within a few years.

One of my favorite parts of Makers was at the end when someone mentioned that the kids who were being born with designer gene mods would grow up to hate their parents for saddling them with decades-old technology.
>>
>>44431827
Dick skirt of course.
>>
>>44430692
social stigma, even if cyber-augments are widely available not all people will be accepting.

Most of the cons of augmentation are social, financial, and mental. there are honestly very few physical drawbacks in comparison
>>
>>44431908
>kids who were being born with designer gene mods would grow up to hate their parents for saddling them with decades-old technology.

>damnit mom!
>fuck you for giving me the best gene-mods available
>you should have given me gene-mods that literally weren't invented yet
>I hate you so much.
That sounds like something the little bastards would complain about.

Do they have gene-mods to make your kids not act like ungrateful little shits?
>>
>>44435305
Sterilisation does that.
>>
>>44435305
>to make your kids not act like ungrateful little shits?
I hear there are some grey market Chinese neural behaviour-modification implants that can do the trick. Works on women too.
>>
>>44430692
>Cost
>Maintenance
>EMI and hack weakness

That's pretty much it. All the edgy shit about getting some weird cyber-psychosis are either hamhanded points about muh humanity, or balance systems.

But the thing is, if you ARE going to run a cyberpunk game, the entire point is that these things make you objectively better. The entire point is that paying your way can literally make you a better human being, and that replacing the shit you were born with, with something you bought in a store is objectively better than keeping what you already had.

There's one other reason I'd add: Staying meaty lets you go underground more easily. Less objects and interactions ot track, after all. But then people might actually become wary of the meaties and not getting at least a minor replacement is the sign of a paranoid person, or (worse) someone deeply involved in illegality.
>>
You could go full Dues Ex and have people need drugs or the body would reject the implant. Which leads to dealers making cheap half-working copies and charging double, or repo men coming to chop off your arm because you didn't pay for your drugs. The cheapo copies could have all kinds of side effects, including death. Repo men could basically work above the law. Leads to all kinds of possibilities.
>>
>>44435305
I have a hard time believing that. Maybe teenagers in their rebellious phase, but those are never rational and shouldn't be expected to be.
>>
>>44435381
>All the edgy shit about getting some weird cyber-psychosis are either hamhanded points about muh humanity, or balance systems.
This makes me think of a character who outright rejects all naysayers who would mention anything bad about cybernetics.
>>
>>44435624
We're talking about fictional cybernetics that OP has already pointed out are objectively better than your real shit. At that point bringing in some fake measure to "balance" that out is just making some sort of stupid point that can be made in another way.

You might treat them like a computer. A computer is objectively better at doing stuff than you and your hunter-gatherer brain are. You don't really *need* your computer, but you're in a bind without one, and it will always represent an extra cost of living if you're unwilling to go through the trouble of not owning one. And without a computer and the skills to use one, you will by and large be regarded as quaint at best, and wilfully retarded at worst. On the other end of the spectrum, knowing how to slot tab A into slot A will put you above the common user, and you'll even find yourself employed as an ersatz, black market computer expert.

Am I beginning to get there, yet?

The point is, you don't need retarded edgy bullcrap. All you need is solid, believable logic. This kneejerk reaction to sign away *fictional* cybernetics as bullshit that must have some sort of catch is... well, just that. A kneejerk reaction in response to typically optimistic science fiction that painted cybernetics as cool and awesome.

But the character who outright rejects naysays of cybernetics? Try walking into a room and saying computers are bad, and see who agrees with you. Ten bucks says they're weirdo's, if they're even there.
>>
>>44435488
>Repo Men

Wasn't a bad movie, really.
>>
Breaking certain parts completely stops it from functioning and requiring you basically get a new one. Mechanical or electrical failure, that become more likely as it gets older and in times of stress. Cosmetic damage possibly requiring replacing large sections. Heat buildup and conductivity issues where you overheat more easily due to them producing more heat than your body would, or them being so heat conductive that you have to be more careful about cold conditions. High weight causing people to sink in water or just tire out their remaining muscles more quickly. Warranty conditions that suck such as not being allowed to eat certain foods or having to monitor your blood's acidity.
>>
I solved this conundrum by simply doing it like it's done today. Nobody generally thinks that cutting off a working body part is a good idea but there are people who are perfectly willing to do so in the same way people today get all kinds of cosmetic surgery such as full body tattos, splitting thier tounges or getting studs underneath the skin for example.

Otherwise, typical augmentations such as inner eye implants (that allow you to wireless connect toyour device, skin link sensors (so you can touch AR buttons) and inner ear implants are fairly normal and common place.

Beyond that you have GiTS levels of cyber bodies where you have to have someone take care of you afterwards because of the maintenance and expense of having such a body.

Typically this is done with governments where, after a long and tedious process, you can turn over your mind and body to the government for a full body augmentation. You and your family get some sweet as benefits but you're a government servent for life or until your brain is unrecoverable.
>>
>>44435902
and all I can think of now is cybernetics and combat cyborgs from rifts
>>
>>44436037

If you're going to be a combat monster don't half ass it. A single cybernetic arm doesn't make you into superman especially when you go to pick up a car and the only thing that doesn't break is the arm while it tears out of your meat shoulder.
>>
>>44436037
I respect Rifts for taking its crazy as fuck concept and running with it to its logical conclusion. Though the European setting seemed really dull.
>>
>>44435902
Reminds me of a guy I know. He got artificial lenses, and in order to not have to rely on glasses, he got one for far away in one eye, and one for close up in the other.
>>
>>44436177

Exactly. You'd figure in a setting where fullbody cyberization is possible, doing something as mundane as getting cyber eyes and inner eat implants would be a routine procedure to the point you could do it on your lunch break and come back and finish your day.
>>
>>44430692
>futuristic
>Uses a modern picture.
>>
>>44430692
>What could be cons of doing so?
Probably expensive.
>>
>>44436289
We're not far from that, now. The last time I got surgery, they booted me out the same day. Sure, I spent a week flat on my back, and longer holding my guts in, but they did put a piece of plastic in me.
>>
>>44435849
>without a computer and the skills to use one, you will by and large be regarded as quaint at best, and wilfully retarded at worst
>Try walking into a room and saying computers are bad, and see who agrees with you. Ten bucks says they're weirdo's, if they're even there
or they could just be old folks.

But computers aren't just all good. Especially health wise. But someone who thinks computers are objectively good will likely try to brush aside such accusations.

Oh, also I don't see those things as edgy. I find them interesting, like stabbing the fake hand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG22iFL-VgE
sorry, only video I could find.
>>
File: 1395182475993.jpg (56 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1395182475993.jpg
56 KB, 500x750
>>44430899
Underrated post by Thomas Sowell.
>>
>>44430692
Why cut of a fully functioning body part for a piece of machinery that very well might malfunction down the line if an exoskeleton does the same thing but without the invasive surgery?

If you want to claim that exoskeletons don't work as efficiently because they aren't wired directly to your nervous system, well, wire the exoskeleton to the nervous system then. Make a small surgery to install a jack in your neck or back of the head and simply plug all exopieces you want into it. Surely that would be simpler and less expensive than replacing entire limbs. Even for a Corp, why bother upgrading your staff when you can just have them taking turns using the exosuit?
>>
>>44436086
That's mentioned in the GitS manga at one point, complete with a small illustration of Batou's arms falling off.

I'll see if I can find it.
>>
>>44438596
I thought Batou was more extensively augmented than that.
>>
>>44438624
I think it was an excuse to draw a chibi batou with his arm falling off.
Also i think his level of augmentation is less in the manga compared to the anime.
>>
>>44430899
>even today there is not a single electric prosthetic on the market that's more effective at basic tasks than a hook
But that is wrong.
>>
>>44430899
>bionic limbs
Man fuck your cyborg limbs I want robot lungs.

>Basically Elon Musk is going to be living in a palace on Mars long before bionic limbs are actually practical and available.
This is bait right?
>>
>>44430899
you going to go on about how impossible the EM engine is too?
>>
Prosthetics are virtually impossible to master. You have to train for years on lower-quality models before they will even consider equipping you with the very best. This is because the average person will never have the willpower to re-learn something as hideously complicated as using your arm. This is why doctors overwhelmingly ignore patients' pleas to get rid of a mangled arm for a prosthetic. Because most of those patients don't have the capacity to use our best fake arms and will instead spend their lives using shit.

In the future, prosthetics won't be an issue of cost. They will be an issue of personality. I haven't read deep enough into this to understand why this is the case, and the time it will take to overcome this flaw depends on that. Is it the lack of feeling? We'll fix it in 40 years. Is the brain just not capable of picking this up easy? Not in our lifetime.
>>
>>44439250
sounds like a job for a monk almost
>>
>>44439272
>Sounds like a job for a nerd with no social life.

Now where would we find some of those?
>>
>>44431528
I have an adblocker.
>>
>>44431187
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>44439398
>voiding the warranty on your new eyes
Careful now anon, not only does using an adblocker void the warranty, it is also known to cause product instability!
>>
>>44431827
>where would you like one?
I want two on my forehead like horns.

I bet you this will happen in our lifetime.
>>
File: 1448787036995.png (265 KB, 1000x700) Image search: [Google]
1448787036995.png
265 KB, 1000x700
>>44439471
>Not using open source eyeballs.
>>
>>44439471
Like warranties are worth damn anyway.
>>
>>44439471
reminds me of the scene in Invader Zim where a Librarian cheerfully told a man they would need to Confiscate his Retinas
>>
File: 1437023489174.jpg (299 KB, 712x1212) Image search: [Google]
1437023489174.jpg
299 KB, 712x1212
>>44430692
>>44430751
There's also increased obesity chances (Afterall, you technically need less food to fuel some of your most energy-consuming bodyparts) and one weakness I have in cyborgs with my superhero setting is sort of a "Strength Dissonance".

Because cybernetics are not made from the same materials as the human body and require to be grafted on, there's not undeniable structural weak-points. In some ways, depending on the way the stress is applied to an augment, it's actually weaker than a normal fleshy joint. (The leading expert in cybernetic engineering bypassed this with a very costly, long, and agonizing process of using nanites to reinforce his bones and muscles)

Oh, and third one is that you might need dialysis or something like that, depending on which body parts have been replaced. The marrow of one's legs produces a majority of fresh blood in the body, and a cyborg would have to deal with the risk of basically stagnant blood. I think.
>>
>>44430899

good post, also just wanted to note that

>battery life

is an especially harsh limitation for players who are more about punching dudes with robot arms than managing resources. Tugs back on the leash hard when your arm stops working.
>>
If it were a dystopian fantasy setting, a downside would be they loose connection with nature.
>>
They're extremely specific. Yeah you got arms that can punch through walls. But you can't open a jar of pickles because fine motor functions had to be sacrificed to facilitate so much force going through your metal appendages. Yeah you can run faster than any human with your fancy robot legs. But you can't balance for shit now and turning in place takes forever. Sure you got a brain implant that makes you some kind of polymath. But when you switch it on it's extremely distracting and bends your thoughts through a mathematical lens regardless of context.

Basically just think of things humans are naturally anticipated to be capable of by default and imagine losing the ability to do those things in exchange for some superhuman prowess elsewhere. Your hammerhands are fucking awesome at pounding nails but suck at brushing your daughter's hair.
>>
>>44430692
the problem I see is that cyborgs are not self replicating. they have the worst of both worlds requiring a life sustaining habitat and advanced manufacturing capabilities. it might not matter on Earth but when trying to set up a colony on other worlds you can drop off some humans and as long as they have food and shelter when you come back in 500 years you have a small civilization. same thing with robots but just park a fabricator in an asteroid belt and when you come back there will be a bunch of robots ready to pick up.
>>
>>44439581
Fresh blood is produced in the bone marrow, but old blood is removed by the spleen liver and lymph nodes. So the risk isn't stagnant blood, but anemia. On that count pump someone full of fluorocarbons, we can actually do this now, just pumping someone full of fluorocarbons to replace their red blood cells causes blood clots.
>>
>>44439205
>This is bait right
I will admit that I am being optimistic by assuming that we will live to see advanced bionics.

>>44439244
It's not a matter of possibility or impossibility, but rather one of funding and the relative utility of advanced prosthetics versus their simpler analogue predecessors. The hosmer hook isn't going anywhere.
>>
>>44439729
so lets just assume the big boss set up, how much is actually lost from missing the forarm
>>
>>44439716
That doesn't seem like a drawback compared to being baseline human, since cyborgs should be able to make more baseline humans as long as they can hold off on getting vibrators bolted to their pelvises and whatnot until they've made a few kids. And even then, cloning from samples of remaining meaty bits.
>>
>>44430692
>So let's say you are making a futuristic cyberpunk-ish setting in which you you can change any part of your body with an objectivly more effective prostheses
>objectively more effective prothesis
>objectively more effective
There are no cons, there can't be.
>>
>>44439789
So long as you don't lose your Femurs the loss of blood production ability isn't so great, partly because when you lose the bones you lose the surrounding muscles that require that blood, and partly because the body can produce much more blood than it needs to. Course I can certainly see corporations selling people on fluorocarbon blood replacement and the needed fluorocarbon blood filtering.
>>
>>44439789
Humans have been losing forearms for years now. I doubt just the forearm has sufficient marrow to cause anemia. The isssues there are more like phantom pain and that technology just isnt there yet?
>>
>>44439779
I still recall walking around trying to find a phone booth, now I have more music then I could even use, more encyclopedias and books than I could read in my life, a camera, and like a fucking comical exaggeration of the sheer amount of porn (Seriously we make a LOT of fucking porn) in my phone and all that fits in my pocket.

Were do you think we will be in a few more decades?
>>
>>44439729
Sounds like you need to blood cell generator.
>>
>>44439948
>pain
Oh boohoo I got a booboo!
>>
>>44440041
>all that fits in my pocket.
No, it doesn't.

Just because you're not seeing the I̮n̠̝̮f̝͚̣̼̣r͍͇̦̟̫͉͢ͅa̝̬͓̮̠ͅst͏̬̣͙r̷̬̟̼̫ͅu҉c͘t̖̖̫u̕r̥͔̙e͜ doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
>>
>>44440252
Yes it does, cloud storage is for faggots.
>>
>>44430692
>pros of staying fully human
bioware
gene mods
retroviruses
symbiotes
muscle2.0
>>
File: 1437262042351.jpg (141 KB, 636x808) Image search: [Google]
1437262042351.jpg
141 KB, 636x808
>>44430692
the pros of staying human a baseline healthy human:
>no cost
>baseline human maintenance only (food-water-shelter)

It really depends on how effective they really are. Something I see few people consider is the joins to meat. If you can punch like a freight train with a metal arm, the force goes somewhere, your meat shoulder or spine.

cybering up is retarded. Improve the meat or go full metal. half in half is shit.
>>
I don't remember where I saw it, but one of the best ways of looking at augmentations has been by having effects like:
-Shivering at night because metal is colder than flesh
-Augmentations need time to boot up
-A basketball coming at someone's head and a bullet flying at them registers the same response on a detection augment
-The augments get treated like how gun control is implemented
-No ability to feel the areas that are augmented
-Have to relearn your limits
-Augmentations can be cheap, and thus really shit quality
>>
>>44439673
Underrated post
>>
>>44440084
Not really that, it's like having an itch you can never scratch or a cramp that never fades, it's driven some people insane.
>>
>>44441697
Not really. OP said more effective. I would assume that means can do basic activities plus more. What he is describing is what only transhuman retards would get because they can't use logic to make decisions and ignore the trade offs.
>>
>>44441662
>-A basketball coming at someone's head and a bullet flying at them registers the same response on a detection augment
That would be a shitty detection augment, if it can register a bullet at all it wouldn't be hard to set up something to identify how different it is from a basketball. Sure detecting it's material and weight could be tricky, but at least size and speed should be easy.
>>
>>44430692
>EMI and hack weakness
That's only a problem if you intentionally design them badly.
Making them EM shieldedand unhackable would be easy.
>>
File: Batou and his amazing arm.jpg (234 KB, 1237x475) Image search: [Google]
Batou and his amazing arm.jpg
234 KB, 1237x475
>>44438596
It's the chapter where they go into details about making a cyborg, the one straight after Motoko's lesbian threesome

>>44438624
He is, he's just being used to illustrate the point.

>>44438669
He's got the same level of cyberisation as the shows and movies except Innocence where he's gone full cyberbody like the Major.
However, the manga has a lower 'power level' or is harder on the sci-fi scale, so to say.
Things break easier, guns do more damage, a Fugikoma gets totalled hitting a concrete barrier at moderate speeds.
>>
>>44442010

This was addressed even in sci fi novels, like Cobra in 1985 by Timothy Zahn. He proposed one of the ways to strengthen the skeleton was to use a porous ceramic coating on the skeleton. That being said other issues would pop up like early onset of arthritis etc.
>>
>>44441328
Alright.
Go out into the forest, out of reach of any types of modern technology.
How fun is your phone after its battery dies?
>>
>>44444546
What does a phone's battery life have to do with cloud storage?
>>
>>44444638
This. If the battery's dead, it doesn't matter if the data is on my own personal encrypted flash drives I carry with me at all times or being poured over by Google's advertisement merchants.
>>
>>44430692
I'd imagine a lot of currently existing problems with hard- and software would translate to commercially available prosthetic limbs:

You don't actually buy the prosthetic, you're buying a contract and get the prosthetic "as a bonus".

By agreeing to that contract, you're giving the manufacturer a lot of power over all the things your prosthetic entails - it's running on their operating system, it's using their batteries, it's connected to their servers, it's using their tools and modules. Unless you jailbreak it, you'll be confined to a very strictly regulated environment. The company can force obsolescence in the name of keeping everyone on the same modern level of security and compatibility, they can implementing tracking and ad systems for the sake of user security, collect user information in the name of medical support and user config cloud storage convenience, and you hardware-wise you'll be limited to officially approved products by the company and its partners, probably region-locked so you can't get cheap or exclusive imports either. And there's enough cyberpunk stories about what if your access falls into truly evil hands, whether it's the company going banana or a hacker noticing they've been storing everything in plaintext.

Of course, how much the company can fuck with you would depend on market competition. The closer to a monpoly it is, the more it's likely to abuse its power when profit can be made, even if it upsets users.
>>
>>44447244
>it's connected to their servers
Why would a replacement arm or lungs or what ever have internet access? That'd be a pointless extra expense no one would bother with.
>>
>>44446010
>he doesn't keep a 1 meter solar panel and motion generator on him at all times for charging purposes

You sir are no cyberpunk.
>>
>>44447601
The concept of "smart living." It can be a heads up with diagnostics. Reminders of maintenence dates, or an active registry for recalls. Most people wonder why a washer and dryer would need an IP address until they get a text that the load is ready to be moved.
>>
I think the WH40k RPGs handled them pretty damn well, actually. A cybernetic limb cannot be any stronger than the limb it replaced, barring extensive, invasive, full-body replacement, because that shiny metal arm is connected to a fleshy shoulder and fleshy pectoral muscles. If the arm lifts something absolutely beyond the original limb's ability, or shoots a gun far too large for mere mortals, you take heavy damage and risk losing the limb. The objective advantage, in your game's case, could come from implanted weaponry, armor plating, and general sturdiness of construction. Also if you put your brain in a cybershell you can be hella mfucking stronk senpai desu
>>
>>44430692
Tissue regenerates. If your shiny new arm gets scuffed and damaged it won't fix itself, you need to actually fix it yourself.

Compared to a full cyborg a full human is fucking Wolverine.
>>
>>44447601
>Why would a replacement arm or lungs or what ever have internet access?
Why does a weather app need access to my photos?

But actually, it's so it can do stuff like get software updates, report usage statistics and errors, and automatically call EMTs if the cyber-bit detects injury. One of the examples of hacking given in the book is making someone's bone lining think the bone was damaged, so it calls the 911-equivalent and reports his location.

Of course, anyone with a brain keeps their stuff offline until it needs to be online. I don't need some power tripping 14-year-old hacking into my grenades. No thank you.
>>
I mean, the new robot arm would have to be a hell of a lot better for people to get over the whole "Oh also we need to cut off your arm" thing. I'd imagine the majority of people would, when given the choice of a new car or a new set of legs, go with the option that doesn't require a bonesaw.
>>
>>44447244
>You don't actually buy the prosthetic, you're buying a contract and get the prosthetic "as a bonus".
This is illegal.
>>
>>44442609
So that's where Halo stole the whole "crazy dangerous surgery where we replace teenagers bones with ceramics"
>>
>>44448557
We have had self repairing oil tanks for a while.
>>
>>44448882
In other news a whole bunch of meatbags die in a fire without even getting killed by the fire, because for some reason they can't breath smoke.
>>
File: extra limbs.jpg (67 KB, 634x356) Image search: [Google]
extra limbs.jpg
67 KB, 634x356
Why would I cut off limbs and replace them when I could simply strap more on?
>>
>>44430786
No, there's the specific neurological condition (happens with some dementia and head injury patients) where the patient does not perceive a limb as his own.

Wish I could remember the name, though, Wikipedia will tell me.
>>
Limbs are heat exchangers. Multiple amputees run a lot hotter and strenuous activity can quickly lead to heat exhaustion.
>>
>>44447601
It's a real issue today with European prosthetics. Not internet access, but legal privacy protection that has prevented doctors from downloading usage records from the limbs to the cloud, resulting in detecting certain problems years after the less private American manufacturers did.

>>44444546
There was a Shadowrun short story about a cyborg out in the wilderness hunting down some rednecks who had fucked with a corp. The framing device? It was his recovered memory implant. It was a narration of how his power slowly ran down, senses began to falter, nutrient intake depleted, etc. Painless but steadily more claustrophobic impending death.
>>
>>44451632
Whenever the topic of augmentation comes up, I always think "Sure, I want robot limbs, but why chop off a perfectly good and functional pair I already have?".

Think of all those situations when you worked on something and needed more than two arms to do it. Fuck surgery and anti-rejection drugs, the most invasive procedure here involves a pair of scissors and a sewing machine.
>>
>>44430786
>>44451717
Look up Dr. Strangelove and you can figure it out from there.
>>
People doing mental jobs don't need prosthetics.
People doing physical jobs can use exoskeletons.
Military functions are probably autonomous combat drones, with a human stuffed in an exosuit nominally in charge to satisfy the human-rights protestors.

Prosthetics introduce a whole new kind of infrastructure for your brains own critical support functions, and even worse, the maintenance cucles run on different time scales. So now you've doubled the things that can go wrong, and for what? It's hard enough getting laid, now you want to try it with the handicap of cold and inhumanly strong robot arms?

Face it. Super prosthetics are no more than an attempt to massage jock feelings in the far future.

It's already a dead issue so there's no literary frission to be gained either. If you want meaningful cybernetics, make them something that makes mental work obsolete.

Someone with a 90 IQ buys a Fujisaki nerve staple and suddenly they just "know" PhD math without consciously calculating anything. That's something that sparks a conflict, because it's valuable, can actually compete with hard work, and might have drawbacks that mean a damn.
>>
>>44430692
Man, if I ever lose a limb, I am going full shadowrun. I want it to look awesome, not as lifelike as possible.
And you bet your ass I'll find some way to put a blade into it.
>>
these settins are cute but people would not be replacing their limbs with metal versions of the same fucking thing, an arm would have four joints and ten digits or would just be a mass of prehensile cables or some such.

to answer your question:there has yet to be a defence conceived against a mass scale magnetic pulse and the government does not want you to know this. If this persists to the future when we start augmenting ourselves it becomes a weapon that is 100 percent effective with no collateral.
>>
>>44430995
You mean no feeling?
Actually some scientists might have a solution. http://www.sciencemag.org/content/350/6258/313

The mechanism is, that in the areas (e.g. Fingertips) they add a layer with carbon nanotubes. this layer then functions as a piezoelectric and converts pressure into electric potential. This is then used to power LEDs at the base of the prosthetic which send out specific light to stimulate gene-engineered Nerve cells which trigger a signal.
>>
>>44435902
>>44444444
Talking about government, how is that nobody have mentioned they wouldn't allow any random joe to swap their human arm for an industrial grade prosthesis just because?

Just like you can't drive a tank to your work, or even a trailer without the proper permit (granted after the solicitor have received training and maybe counselling), I highly doubt you can graft an camera into your eyes without security forbidding the access into certain buildings.

>But muh cool clandestine! I'm a lone wolf who follows no human laws!!!
Yeah, sure, because surgeries performed by illegal medics on shady storages always goes so well.
>>
>>44438378
Hot
>>
>>44451632

Something like this I could totally see and get behind. At best, you'd just need some kind of mental control interface and maybe a bit of training and then you're swinging your extra set of arms as if you've done it your whole life.

Imagine a military version of this where the exo skeleton also had an advance AI in the suit that reads and reacts to your actions so it has a magazine ready to load when it sense you're about to drop the empty mag out of your weapon or the other one is helping you to brace when you're fielding a fuck off huge anti-tank gun.
>>
>>44451717
Somatoparaphrenia.
>>
File: Motoko Kusanagi has Arisen.jpg (460 KB, 810x1080) Image search: [Google]
Motoko Kusanagi has Arisen.jpg
460 KB, 810x1080
It's probably been mentioned in the thread already but I didn't specifically see it scrolling through.

Forgoing heat, batteries and training yourself to use the limb, cost is a massive hurdle.
Even basic wooden legs and such are fucking expensive. For a cyberpunk arm the average person would need a mortgage loan just to afford it.

In everyone's favourite Ghost in the Shell series, Arise, this serves to get the plot started as Motoko is given her job in the first place to pay off her multi-billion dollar body.

I honestly enjoyed Arise. I don't really understand all the complaints
>>
>>44435305
Yeah it's called good parenting
>>
>>44456500
>Implying rich parents are capable of being good parents
This year alone Australia has had it's richest individual dick over her own children for billions, get taken to court by her own kids and then cry to the media about it.

Mind you, she's also the same one that threatened to start an African slave empire if she didn't get her way just to have literally everyone call her on her bluff, including Africa.
>>
>>44456480
>That thong.
>>
>>44452081
Isn't that how it always was though? Cyber prosthetics were for gang members and people who wanted to look tough. Serious military and corporate guys got whole new bodies or were trained from birth.
>>
>>44451632
I think the real users of cybernetics will always be those who didn't volunteer to receive them. One of my favorite shadowrun characters never wanted to be a street sam, he just wanted to serve his country and get paid to kill mexicans (well, Aztlaners). Then someone stepped on a mine and he got a new pair of arms, a leg, and some eyes and that was just what you could tell at a glance.
>>
File: 1397978773951.png (252 KB, 372x448) Image search: [Google]
1397978773951.png
252 KB, 372x448
>>44456839
Wait, I want details on this slave empire.

What the fuck was she saying she'd do, and why?
>>
>>44430692
>Prosthesis insurance.
>Human chop shops
>Anti-prosthisis media/groups
>Body can regect the augment
>Name brand augments create classism within augmented community
>draws a line between those that have augments and those that don't
>if the augments make on objectively better than a human, what's to stop them from abusing the power
Alternatively you could just run Deus Ex
>>
>>44459686
Gina Rinehart, chairman of Hancock Prospecting. She wanted tax cuts, work concessions, to be allowed to bring in foreign workers and pay them less then minimal wage a few other things. Mostly the tax cuts.
When no one wanted to play ball she threatened to move her entire company to Africa
>"Furthermore, Africans want to work and its workers are willing to work for less than two dollars a day."
She was then ridiculed by everyone. The then PM, Julia Gillard, said it wasn't the done thing in Australia to just toss a gold coin at someone and expect them to work for the day.
Many bigwigs in the industry pointed out she can't 'just' move overseas but if she was willing to relinquish her land holdings, they wouldn't complain and someone in Africa, I can't remember who, told her off that Africans don't want to work for $2 a day, they don't have a choice in the matter and it was people like her that made the situation what it was.
>>
>>44459947
Worse part of this was, she honestly thought she was the good guy in all of this and accused literally everyone of beating her down.
>>
File: 1442968866333.png (93 KB, 555x412) Image search: [Google]
1442968866333.png
93 KB, 555x412
>hacking offline and stand-alone peripherals
>>
>>44460083
Some asshole shoved Bluetooth support into all of them.
>>
>>44460083
>manufacturers secretly build illegal backdoors into all products for tracking, control, insurance, etc.
>well-hidden, but can be found if you know what you're doing
>>
>>44456839
>>44459947
Reinhart is a abnormally vile person, I'm not going to hold her actions against the super rich in general.
>>
File: steampipe-600x282.png (276 KB, 600x282) Image search: [Google]
steampipe-600x282.png
276 KB, 600x282
>>44460083
The same way you hack a steampipe, duh.
>>
>>44430692
Imagine all the problems that come with sophisticated technology in the modern world.
Proprietary hardware, planned obsolescence, terrible firmware updates, corner cutting, user surveillance etc.
Now imagine that every one of those qualities has been expanded, has become more invasive and more harmful to the users experience and that the corporations that do these things are more protected from legislative oversight than ever before, all reasonable things to expect in most cyberpunk settings.
Now imagine that this technology is vital to your day to day life, it might even be full stop fatal if somthing ever fails. Would you choose to embrace this technology knowing the risks?
>>
File: 1433116571071.jpg (90 KB, 636x492) Image search: [Google]
1433116571071.jpg
90 KB, 636x492
>>44440041
I still remember people saying that flying cars were going to be commercially available by 1990.

Technology does advance, nobody is denying that, but sometimes it does not advance in the ways or areas that we expect. Sometimes areas of technology stagnate because they simply aren't practical.

What I am saying, as a person who works with amputees and who has a lot of experience with prosthetics, is that the progress is NOT going nearly as quickly as people intimate over social media and in grandiose tech magazines. The reality is sobering. Telling people how technology is really advancing isn't wrong. Would you prefer that I put on meme science nigger's face and tell you you're going to live forever in a computer? Maybe I should get that ignorant faggot Yudokowski in here to talk to you about how Cryonics is going to save your children.

If you want mindless positivism and platitudes about how great everything is going to be, go find a priest.
>>
>>44459947
Rinehart wasn't just a bitch, she was also insane. Like, if she had been right about the economics of her situation, then yes, but she was completely wrong. She was getting a better deal in her homeland than she would've gotten in Africa.

I respect ruthless capitalism, but this is like comparing Gordan Gekko to Joffrey Lannister.
>>
>>44460424
>Maybe I should get that ignorant faggot Yudokowski in here to talk to you about how Cryonics is going to save your children.
Everyone who believes in Cyronics is an enormous idiot, yeah.
>>
>>44460424
How is the current status on interactive prosthetics ?
Do you know how they communicate with the CNS ?

Sharing your knowledge would be useful for people around here.
>>
>>44442609
Radium replaces calcium in bones and leads to skeletal degeneration. Could perhaps use that process to do the opposite.
>>
>>44462238
Then again, you're probably limited in that. So perhaps the key isn't in replacing anything, but in spurring on the natural processes to create denser bones.

I've heard a repaired break is stronger than the original bone.
>>
>>44442609
In Battletech but may be older they invented some crazy metal that extras and expands if you put current through it. They then used that to build muscles. They mostly used that muscles to build eight story high piloted robots with more guns that your average army post duct taped them but they also have cyborgs in that universe using basically the same technology.
>>
>>44430692
I play a game that includes both cybernetics and magic/supernatural powers. Cybernetics interfere with supernatural effects, both positive and negative, in addition to common sense stuff (cost, hacking, etc.). This doesn't apply to direct damage, of course, but having cybernetics makes mind control and the like go wonky. Having cybernetics also applies that same penalty to using supernatural abilities, assuming you have them.
>>
>>44462258
>I've heard a repaired break is stronger than the original bone.
That's mostly because broken bones are repaired by being layered with more calcium. The process of healing broken bones is basically just layering cracked parts of a wall with more cement, which isn't nearly as subtle and complex as healing soft tissue damage and ends up actually making the bones more resilient. It's why some martial art schools have students purposefully damaging finger bones by striking tough materials.
Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.