[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone that has knowledge of 40k universe explain to me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
File: klaher-baklaher-mehanikus.jpg (247 KB, 1003x1599) Image search: [Google]
klaher-baklaher-mehanikus.jpg
247 KB, 1003x1599
Can someone that has knowledge of 40k universe explain to me why in the year 40 000 where some can use teleportation devices, some use feathers and books?
pic related
>>
>>44424190
Because it's stylish.
>>
>>44424190

Because mankind is no longer master of its own destiny after surviving various apocalypses and forgetting how to do proper science.
>>
Because technological regression, is a thing
>>
Because robutts rebelled at one point, this led to all inventors and engineers and greasemonkeys regress into a inefficient and pants-on-head retarded cult. All AIs are evilbad thing and if something has a low level AI, it's called machine spirit.
Almost all tech imperium has is badly copied version of old tech, the nerds are reinventing wheel constantly and making it shittier by adding skulls and shit on it.
You can't change a roll of toilet paper without having a cabal of priests singing praise to omnissiah while Giganerd McTechpriest does it in the most ineffective way possible.
>>
Computers are often possessed by daemons. No really.
>>
>>44424190
It sells.
>>
>>44424190
its part of the whole schizo tech and to show how technology has stagnated
also it looks cool
>>
>>44424190

Out-of-universe style reasons.

A *lot* of the stuff in 40k that seems to make little sense is because it got written or drawn, and then the explanation (if any) added in later, and by a whole load of different people.
>>
>>44424190
Lets put it this way, an average high school graduate (with no specific extra knowledge) is about the real world equivalent to how much a GOOD tech priest knows about the stuff there trying to keep working.
>>
>>44424327
Oh sure, let's ask the high schooler to fix a plasma generator without melting the school
>>
>>44424352
Considering the idiot proofing once built into STC tech, there's a pretty good chance that just requires finding the reset button. A highschooler may well be able to figure it out.
>>
Because waving a dataslate around trying to get religious fanatics excited enough to charge into a fight they can't win is just not going to be very successful. Books have gravitas, especially when they are also heavy enough to swing like a melee weapon or stop a bullet.
>>
Same reason why we still have books and not e-books.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/23/business/media/the-plot-twist-e-book-sales-slip-and-print-is-far-from-dead.html

>>44424654
As alluded to, books are still bumping. A codex isn't the same if its some PDF in a hard drive.

I'd further add that the written word does not require technology to process and read. Thus, you can still read the prayers to your false empereor in your bunker when you base is overun.
>>
File: lip-plating.jpg (48 KB, 1236x700) Image search: [Google]
lip-plating.jpg
48 KB, 1236x700
>>44424190
Can someone that has knowledge of the contemporary universe explain to me why in the year 2015 where some can use planes, particle colliders and telepathic helmets, some are running around in tribes and sticking plates in their lower lips?
Pic related
>>
>>44424327
A Tech-Priest is pretty much an Engineer that works with tech that is magic for us.
>>
>>44424327
You have a lot of trust in nowadays scientists. I've worked in a handful labs and the: "do not touch that, I have no idea what it does and I have no idea how to repair it neither" is more usual than I thought.
>>
>>44424928
It's incredibly common with anything to do with software too.
>DON'T TOUCH IT
>IT WORKS
>IT'S FINE
>JUST USE IT
>DON'T YOU TOUCH IT YOU FUCKER

It's fun.
>>
>>44424190
Ritual and cool?
>>
File: 1433708067060.jpg (230 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1433708067060.jpg
230 KB, 720x540
>>44424190
Because grimdark means technology regressed where they would rather fill a planet with paperwork than consider using Microsoft Word 40M.
>>
>>44424190
It's basically Dark Ages INNNN SPAAAAAAACE
>>
>>44429177
I would. At least paper does not tell third parties about my activity.
>>
>>44424810
Yeah, but 40k doesn't have niggers.
>>
Because now we have people with no shoes, cell phones with cloud access, assault rifles from the 60s and fifa jerseys. Technology isn't evenly distributed along a linear progression.
>>
>>44424190
A lot of reasons. The guys who have and maintain a monopoly on high technology are often paranoid (is it paranoia if they are really after you?), secretive (knowledge be valuable, yo. Don't just hand it over for free) and prone to obfuscating technical data behind religious rituals.

So, you have a very thin layer of guys who legitimately know what they are doing (mostly, some of the really advanced technology is beyond them) and a whole lot of people who just follow the prayerbook and hope for the best.

Also, Chaos is always trying to steal their shit, which is why forge worlds with unique or otherwise important designs get targeted and/or stolen from a lot.

There is also scrap code, which is Holywood hacking on crack which is also magical. Its power ranges from mildly annoying white noise generators to fukken magical information demons that don't give a fuck about the form of information they are infesting and also everything in between.

>>44429177
Can't blame them.
>>
>>44430168
salamanders
>>
>>44430347
Radiation burnt Caucasians aren't niggers.
>>
>>44424190
Those teleportation devices are ancient relics of the long lost past using technology they have no idea how to replicate, and don't want to risk attempting.

Feathers are cool, and books can't be corrupted by scrapcode.
>>
>trying to make sense of 40k as a setting
You done fucked up.
>>
>>44424928
I'm a microbiologist IRL. Near our lab's PCR thermocycler there is a little shrine with a scientist figurine. When I joined the lab, I was told to bow to the figurine before doing a PCR run. I scoffed it as a prank for newbies. My PCR didn't work until one day I bowed to it.
>>
>>44435189
>he doesn't even know how to appease the PCR machine spirit

And you call yourself a microbiologist.
>>
File: book the book borne.jpg (122 KB, 474x613) Image search: [Google]
book the book borne.jpg
122 KB, 474x613
>He took out his chapbook and his pen. He was a man of traditional inclinations, believing that no great lyric could ever be composed on the screen of a data-slate, a point of variance that had almost got him into a fist fight with Palisad Hadray, the other ‘poet of note’ amongst the remembrancer group. That had been near the start of their conveyance to join the expedition, during one of the informal dinners held to allow the remembrancers to get to know one another. He would have won the fight, if it had come to it. He was fairly sure of that. Even though Hadray was an especially large and fierce woman.
>>
>>44424190

Because mankind really likes the baroque asthetic and dataslates are expensive as fuck. Fuck you, admech Steeve Jobs
>>
There's something called an Auto-Quill, which basically allows you to write texts and record data at a vastly increased speed. They're very popular among the scribes of the administratum and the mechanicus.

Source: Dark Heresy core gamebook.
>>
>>44424190
they do use touchpad and others to store information man
the feathers and books seems to be popular in administratum because it their symbol or mechanicus who can store in informations by eyes and write at great speed
>>
>>44436896
It's a modern pen.
>>
>>44430168
sure it does

every ethnicity is represented in the imperium of man
>>
Why do we still use pencils when we have pens, why use either when we have computers?
Its the same in 40k. Maybe he is scribing something for a backwater planet, maybe he likes the look of ink on paper.
>>
>>44439376
No, that is a calixian emergency marking device. That is in only war.
>>
>>44429177
>not using MW 40m
Thats cause when they found out that the application had an AI office assistant, they declared it as heretical.
>"Hey! It looks like your trying to file in an exterminatus approval form. Would you like some help?"
>>
>>44441192
Pens can run out of ink, the ink can dry, or the ball point can get clogged. A pencil you can see at a glance if it's still useful; if not, take it to a sharpener until you get it back to a fine point. Pencil is much easier to erase than ink. A pencil won't leak in your pocket.

Computer storage can fail, or otherwise become inaccessible without power. You don't need electricity to read or write in a book. Often, it's faster to find a page in the physical book than in a PDF scan. The only advantages that I can think of that computer storage has over physical media are that it takes up less space and it's far easier to copy and share.
>>
Test
>>
>>44441940
icles
>>
>>44430168
Catachan codex cover.
Checkmate /pol/.
>>
>>44424190
inventing new technology is forbidden, only maintenance and imitation of existing technology.

I guess no biros survived past the horus heresy
>>
>>44442404
>inventing new technology is forbidden
Not true at all.
It's just done slowly and carefully and the monopolistic and feudal nature of the mechanicum means no one wants to share anything new which further slows the spread of anything new as well as making it easier to be lost.
>>
>>44424810
>some are running around in tribes and sticking plates in their lower lips?

I know you're baiting but having tribes and different cultural values for appearance isn't really backward.
>>
File: 068-Emperor-loves-Skulls.jpg (561 KB, 993x667) Image search: [Google]
068-Emperor-loves-Skulls.jpg
561 KB, 993x667
>>44424244
>>
>>44444120
skullsforthegoldenthrone.jpg
>>
>>44424756
>prayers to your false empereor

Die horrobly heretic scum.

Praise the God Emperor of Mankind.
>>
>>44444444
>>
>>44430333

>So, you have a very thin layer of guys who legitimately know what they are doing (mostly, some of the really advanced technology is beyond them) and a whole lot of people who just follow the prayerbook and hope for the best.

There is a proper reason for this though, pretty much all the database behind the technology was corrupted or destroyed during multiple cataclysmic events.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.