[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EDH/Commander general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
Voltron funtimes edition

>RESOURCES

http://www.mtgcommander.net
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.

http://www.tappedout.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.

http://www.edhrec.com/
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.

http://manabasecrafter.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.

CARD SEARCHING

http://gatherer.com
>Official search site. Current for all sets.

http://www.magiccards.info
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
>>
>>44424033
This guy is disgusting with Blade of Selves in 4+ player games
>>
Post a reason why 3 color decks aren't just lazy
>>
File: 1433630577528.jpg (22 KB, 500x388) Image search: [Google]
1433630577528.jpg
22 KB, 500x388
>make Selvala and Meren decks for myself
>use some leftover bullshit cards to build a Maelstrom Wanderer deck for my new-ish brother
>stomps me every game because Wanderer is busted

fuck.
>>
>>44424240
What do you mean?
>>
I can no longer play my Meren of Clan Nel Toth deck.

she's just too good against my group of EDH friends, they never stop me from doing shit with my graveyard, so shit like Tutor Sidisi just goes off every turn until I can literally do anything you can imagine.
>>
>>44424268
You can shore up every weakness and cover every gap in color identity with 3. With 2 you can get around most things with Blue and black, but not everything.

It just seems lazy to play that way in a casual group.
>>
>>44424273
I dunno mang I play Kruphix, I think my imagination can do a bit more than yours.
>>
>>44424314
IN Garruk's Waking the board, and then Rise of the Dark Realm'ing is pretty much the go to

now if you asked me to resolve all the triggers my brain might explode, but other than that its ogre.
>>
>>44424292
Yeah if you powergame and completely optimize your deck
>>
I want to buy into EDH but don't have many staples to build. Are the Commander Decks (2015) worth it? They seem good enough, but I'd like your opinions on them.

Also. Are they balanced between them? I was thinking on buying 3 to play with my brothers. I'm particularly interested in the UR, UG and BG ones.
>>
>>44424329
>18 mana just lying around
>>
>>44424341
yes, actually.

infact, I usually hit about 17 mana+ mana rocks by turn 8, if I want to.

Sakura Tribe Elder and other "sac and get lands" shit is abounds.
>>
>>44424057
Hadn't even thought of that one!
>>
>>44424339
Yes yes YES DO IT ANON
>>
>>44424366
What other "sac and get lands" creatures besides Sakura tribe elder do you run?
>>
>>44424033
Voltron funtimes? In that case I have a question.

Is Narset better with Auras or Equipments? I want to run all 5 Swords and Batterskull but I also want to run Auras, but since Swords give protection the Auras fall off.
>>
Cockatrice tonight? I know a bunch of guys are gonna be online around 8:30 EST for EDH.
>>
File: 1433135775985.png (158 KB, 816x754) Image search: [Google]
1433135775985.png
158 KB, 816x754
What's a fun Tribal deck I can make on the cheap (Like in the $100-$150 range)? I was looking at Zombies and that looks pretty tight, but I was wondering if a colorless Artifact Creature deck is viable too.
>>
>>44424678
He's only tutoring up equipments, though. I mean, still not bad, but I wouldn't call it disgusting.
>>
>>44424339
They're pretty well-balanced against each other right out of the box, but the one most easy to improve is Meren, and the one with the highest ceiling is Mizzix.
>>
File: Yle2ZtG.png (182 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
Yle2ZtG.png
182 KB, 265x370
Don't mind me, just stopping by
>>
>>44424882
>>44424875
>>
>>44424860
>Slapping down 4 Equipments every time he attacks when Blade of Selves is equipped
>somehow not gross

>>44424882
They're never going to make a UR artificer, are they?
>>
File: Image-23.jpg (67 KB, 222x310) Image search: [Google]
Image-23.jpg
67 KB, 222x310
Does pic related make thraximundar 1 less if thrax is in the command zone?
>>
>>44424978

Yes, works better with Rooftop Storm though senpai.
>>
>>44424882

ayy.... love it.
>>
>>44424834
Goblins is pretty cheap.
>>
>>44424033
Any goodstuff advice?
Ive been playing a Crosis deck online with a lot of removal. Sorta keeping the board under control till I can swing 3/4 times per player. I find that activating his ability once or twice a game makes my time a LOT easier.
Currently running very little graveyard recursion, mostly creatures with etb effects or activated abilities that also count as removal.
Any advice for this general or goodstuff/kill everything decks would be appreciated
>>
>>44425088
You only draw 1 card per turn max, though.
>>
>>44424253
>Selvala
dawg
how are you losing?! Selvala is freaking busted good, shes my T1 deck.
>>
>>44424882
Well that's terrible
>>
>>44425134

I guess I just don't want to play Armageddon and I don't play enough artifact hate.
>>
>>44425126

That's true enough, but the card would be a monstrous commander for a Storm deck if it did. the fact you can draw up to 4 cards each turn cycle in multiplayer seems pretty neat, tough.
>>
File: IMG_1217.jpg (215 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1217.jpg
215 KB, 1280x960
>>44425167
My deck does run Armageddon and a shitload of artifact hate
Id post a decklist but the one I have is like 6 months out of date. All I got to say is dropping a 6 drop on t4 is good. Especially if that 6 drop is dragonlord dromoka or Sun titan. Top deck manipulation is key.
>>
>>44425134
Mind sharing?
>>
>>44425226
Deck is out of date but this is the basic idea.
Be aware this decklist wasnt t1 as of the most recently updated version. It still is missing a couple good cards Ill see if I remember some of them, its been some time since Ive played her unfortunately.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shrewd-negotiator/
>>
>>44425223

Yeah man I don't have a Dromoka but Sun Titan is wonderful, I run both Entreat and Terminus with Top but can never seem to draw them when it would behoove me :/

I don't want to metagame against my own brother too much because we play in a bigger group that requires more than just a ton of artifact hate to win.

Any other recommendations for creatures/spells though?
>>
>>44425248
You should check this one out - it's generally regarded as the best way to play Selvala. (Not that I know; I've never played with/against it.)

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/selvala-combostax/
Cheesy deck tech video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq2Lmp40b1o
>>
File: Nin, the Pain Autist.jpg (44 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Nin, the Pain Autist.jpg
44 KB, 350x350
>>44424882
Best Izzet commander now?

>>44424902
But anon, you have one already that works great.
>>
>>44424834
Zambros are easy to make cheap with Grimgrin (~$2) and Rooftop Storm ($.50).
Unfortunately things like Gravecrawler and Bloodghast that go great with it are a little higher, but Reassembling Skeleton is a pittance.
>>
>>44425262
mirri's guile is really good in the deck too. I honestly wouldnt even consider it meta'ing if you load your deck full of artifact and enchantment removal, I do that in every single one of my decks.
That being said if you want to keep it down I would only put aura shards in there. Also if you arent already, I would run as many one mana mana dorks as possible and skullclamp. It works so well with these explosive ramp decks. I also suggest making a birthing pod package for your deck.
The great thing about selvala is that the bombs are all about how you want to play. I pack avacyn, sigarda, dragonlord dromoka and some graveyard recursion so that I pretty much have a bulletproof boardstate. Mana doublers found arent actually worth it either. your ramp should come from your commander and manadorks/one/zero drop artifacts.
The deck wins most often with Craterhoof unfortunatly, but wins often enough with straight beatdown, infect and an infinite I have in the deck.
Mostly selvala is just a way to get an insane amount of mana early and keep the game from hitting a stalemate mid/late game. So pack any sort of mana sinks/high cost creatures and go to town.
>>
>>44425283
Yeah thats similar to the way I play my deck currently but I feel like focusing too hard on stax gets super inconsistent.
really all you need is 2 or so amrageddon effects and Hokori, Dust Drinker. Anything more and you risk losing a lot of explosive potential.
>>
File: razzliox.jpg (21 KB, 771x133) Image search: [Google]
razzliox.jpg
21 KB, 771x133
>>44425283
Why are you still posting with a trip?
>>
>>44424879
I think meren actually is better than mizzix.
>>
>>44424033
Where do you guys buy cards? I'd like to order my deck off of TCG player, but using the mass product entry always leaves me with 20 packages of 1 or 2 cards, and if they're not money cards, I need to buy a bunch of extra stuff to spend up to $1 from each seller.

I'd like to trade for them, but I don't get a chance to go out to my local card store too often, and it's not like people carry around binders full of commons and uncommons.

There's got to be a better way to do this, right?
>>
>>44425326
Does this work as well with stuffy doll as I'm imagining?
>>
>>44425817
because i'm not embarrassed of cringy reddit posts I made a year ago? because i have friends in the magic community and sometimes people recognize me and this can establish a meaningful dialogue?

why does it bother you so much that you're going to look through someone's reddit history for of over a year of constant shitposting? does this make you somehow feel better about yourself? literally the fact that I have a name next to my posts instead of "Anonymous" costs you nothing? if it bothers you so much just filter trips?
>>
>>44425938
>because i have friends in the magic community and sometimes people recognize me and this can establish a meaningful dialogue?
That's not the point of 4chan or tripcodes. If you want to talk with your friends then go do it somewhere else please.
>>
>>44425929
I'm pretty sure that it would
>>
>>44425817
You can make subreddits about yourself? Holy shit, how much of a narcissist can you be?
>>
>>44425938
Why are you in this site if you want meaningful discussions?
>>
>>44426050
I suspected he might be a huge faggot so I made a quick google search and it was pretty much the first result. It's just chock full of emo whining. I don't care to post more, just want this idiot to drop the trip or gb2 reddit.
>>
>>44425978
>That's not the point of 4chan or tripcodes
It's a forum. I'll use it how I like. You can too! That's one of the great things about life - you can find value in things outside of their intended purpose. The fact that you are unable to recognize this, that you're still caught up in this "everyone must be anonymous or it ruins the community" atmosphere is kind of ridiculous. The great part about 4chan is that you can be anonymous, meaning you can post whatever you want without fear of ruining your reputation. Me posting with a tripcode doesn't remove your ability to post without one.

>If you want to talk with your friends then go do it somewhere else please.
I meant that many people on the internet recognize the username razzliox. Not that my friends from my LGS know it.
>>
>>44425938
lol tripfag having friends
an hero yourself, you subhuman trash
>>
>>44426194
>many people on the internet recognize the username razzliox
You are so fucking full of yourself, god damn
>>
>>44425900
Bump.

We already know trips are garbage.
>>
>>44426231
>>44425900
I buy on TCG but I tweak the cart a lot to get it into as few packages as possible. It sometimes costs a little more but it's a lot better than receiving like 15 packages of 2-5 cards apiece
>>
>>44425938

>oblivious reddit tripfaggot

you either take that thing off, or go back to your fucking containment website.
>>
>>44426194
Being anonymous is only half the point. The other half is that OTHERS are anonymous. There are tons of forums that allow guest or anonymous posting, but they're almost always looked down on. The point is to avoid that and level the playing field, which you're conveniently ignoring because...? I'm not sure why. You're that attached to your identity? You think you're an e-celeb? You think people you know come here to cheer you on?
>>
QUICKLY
SUGGEST A UR LEGENDARY CREATURE THAT IS AS CHAOTIC AS POSSIBLE
or just neat ur commanders
>>
>>44424882
unplayable as commander
>>
>>44426337
>neat
I love UR, you literally can't go wrong with it. I'm a huge fan of Mizzix so far, and the best part is once I get bored with her I have a few other deck ideas in mind for her that are completely different.
Also Niv-Mizzet and Curiosity, draw your library, burn everybody.
>>
>>44426337
Something with fucking artifacts

Like holy shit they are the two best colors for artificers and we still don't have a legendary in those colors that actually interacts with artifacts
>>
>>44426398
>burn everybody
>chaos
THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS
Half the needed cards are missing on xmage ;_:
>>
>>44424764
not that guy, but Yavimaya Elder and Viridian Emmisary do work.
>>
>>44426466
By the way, rate it.
deck tk/9hEa2cUS
>>
File: 635823134667153334.png (184 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
635823134667153334.png
184 KB, 265x370
>>44426337

He's awful, though. If it forced every player to cycle their hands it could've been at least properly annoying.
>>
>>44426444
I can't imagine what a UR artificer would be like. Its too hard to make it distinct from just a monocolored artificer.
I guess you could go the red = destroy blue = create route?
>>
>>44426504
Blue fetch, red copy? Imagine mixing like Arcum and Kurkesh, I dunno
>>
>>44426501
Combine him with one of the permanents that doubles your draws. Even sort of makes sense flavor-wise to use Alhammerheads Archive since he's a sphinx and all.
>>
>>44426504

UR, sacrifice an artifact: deal damage equal to it's converted mana cost to target player, reduce the casting cost of the next artifact spell you cast this turn for the converted mana cost of the sacrificed artifact.
>>
>>44426337
(1)UR 2/2 LEGENDARY CREATURE - HUMAN ARTIFICER

UR, T: EXILE AN ARTIFACT YOU CONTROL FROM THE BATTLEFIELD OR GRAVEYARD; SEARCH YOUR DECK FOR AN ARTIFACT THATS CONVERTED MANA COST IS ONE MANA HIGHER THAN THE EXILED ARTIFACT, PUT IT IN YOUR HAND, THEN SHUFFLE YOUR LIBRARY. YOU MAY CAST IT FOR FREE BY RIPPING IT IN EQUAL PARTS SO THAT EACH PLAYER MAY HAVE ONE PART OF THE CARD THIS TURN ONLY.
>>
>>44426572
Jesus, this would be insanely broken

You could potentially create an infinite loop with Spine of Ish Sah
>>
>>44426534
Seems too good, you'd have to seriously stunt him. The trouble with copying and fetching in EDH is that it's so reliable. Being able to repeatedly recur artifacts is what makes Daretti so powerful, imagine that but with counterspells, and fetching stapled onto it. Terrifying.
>>
>>44426626
That's a fair point. Maybe make him tap for each of his abilities

But there are so many ways to untap stuff that a UR artificer might just be too good
>>
>>44426617
No, you can't. The effect costs UR and a sac. The Spine pays for itself but you still need UR to kickstart the process.
>>
>>44426655
Izzet Roboticist ?UR
Legendary Human Guy
UR⤵ : Put a 0/0 battlebot artifact creature on the battlefield, then put +1/+1 counters on it equal to the number of experience counters you have. Then put an experience counter on yourself and draw a card.

Wow my wording is shit but here's a guy who makes robots? This is shit but I like battlebots and those guys are the closest to UR real life has that I can think of.
>>
File: dreaddefiler[1].jpg (46 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
dreaddefiler[1].jpg
46 KB, 265x370
Instakill for mill EDH, I will totally use this in my Lazav deck

What is your favorite spoiled card for commander so far?
>>
>>44426860
Green Red Mul Daya twins.
>>
>>44424882
>So many Cantrip spells in Blue/Red
>They all are 3 CMC or less
Shu Yun can suck a trillion dicks. I rather have more card draw in my spellslinger.
>>
>>44426593
Why not "You may put it onto the battlefield. If you do, each opponent puts a token of that card. At the beginning of next end step exile each card put into battlefield this way"
>>
File: 1441027876638.jpg (19 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1441027876638.jpg
19 KB, 600x600
>Live in small village in the countryside
>Nobody who plays MtG near me
>Have 2 great commander decks I never use but still keep updated
>Only play cockatrice now like once a week

Life is pain
>>
>>44427068
>tfw used to have to drive 70 minutes to play MTG

The memories still haunt me.
>>
>>44426839
Definitely make the first one a 1/1 not a 0/0. So either make their base P/T 1/1 or add the experience counters first.
>>44427007
Not sure if you intend to exile the tokens, but your wording doesn't do that, because tokens aren't cards. Try "each artifact."
>>
>>44427179
Why not permanent?
>>
>>44427195
Sure. Just so long as it's not "card."
>>
What is the best music to play in the background while playing with friends?

Something that gets you in the fantasy mood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYJc6uVvpow
>>
I run a zombie tribal using tresserhorn as a generaland over time ive collected some really good stuf and best of all its only around 180$ to build for those wanting a tribal cheap deck check it out
>>
>>44427656
A list would be helpful
>>
>tfw local gamestore is sold out of everything except the Boros deck
>they won't order more until all the Boros are sold

It's just like 2013 and those Naya decks no one wanted.
>>
>>44427271
When we play we always listen to Queen, Boston, Rush, some ambient music, a little bit of DragonForce, and a MUSE song or two. Great mood.
>>
>>44427271
Wu-Tang and Action Bronson
>>
>>44427271
Astrakan Cafe, stuff like that.
Some of the music from DOTP 2014 is actually good.
>>
>>44427827
Sounds like a trip to WalMart to me. They're shooting themselves in the foot.
>>
What do you want out of Commander 2016? I assume it'll be allies, and I think a tribal theme would be cool. All allies have good tribes to play around with.
>>
>>44428066
>They're shooting themselves in the foot

You can't expect them to micromanage all their stock. Yes, they could make a bit of money, but considering it's a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of their revenue, it's nothing.

I would expect more out of a proper LGS though.
>>
>>44428070
>allies
No

God no

I would like tribal support though. Do mono-color and have the characteristic/iconic tribes in each. Goblins/Dragons for red, Merfolk/Sphinxes for blue, etc
>>
>>44428070
Commander products are pretty bad in general.
>hurr durr lets make products that are balanced only to play with each other
>hurr durr lets print commander exclusive cards
>hurr durr lets milk a joke format
>>
>>44428070
GOBLINS
>>
>>44428113
Why don't you want allied colours?

>>44428135
Considering they're just about the only playable precon decks, and great for getting people into a format that can be daunting to newbies, they're great. I also love using just precons, my LGS has a league where only unmodified precons are allowed that plays once a month, it's a ton of fun.
>>
>>44428201
>it's a ton of fun.
Yeah, until that one guy who got that BG C15 precon or R C14 precon comes along.
>>
>>44428070
>allies
Pls no
>>44428113
>tribal
Now this I'm okay with. I like when decks have a theme in common.
>>
File: 4Gqxlw4.jpg (209 KB, 3000x3088) Image search: [Google]
4Gqxlw4.jpg
209 KB, 3000x3088
>tfw you started an arms race in your group
>tfw you inadvertently destroyed your fun, low-power meta
>>
>>44428284
Fuck you Kyle. Why the hell did you bring a $400 Omnath deck to a casual $50-80 meta?
>>
>>44428070
Tribal decks sound really cool.

I'm personally hoping for more 2-color commanders, in the combinations they didn't do in 2015 - RG, UB, UW, GW, RB.
>>
>>44428379
I'm not Kyle nor do I play Omnath
>>
>>44428070
Four color commanders. It's long past due.
>>
>>44428070
Spider general
>>
>>44428454
Four colour is dumb /ccg/ it has no identity, and never will. Stop trying.
>>
>>44428201
I thought you meant allies as in the subtype

Allied colors might be alright, though I'd prefer mono-color tribal
>>
>>44428284
>tfw what started as Elves vs casual mill vs Esper funstuff turned into Mimeoplasm vs Narset vs Oloro
>>
>>44426860
You realize it says card from YOUR graveyard, right?
>>
File: jorienruindiver.jpg (50 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
jorienruindiver.jpg
50 KB, 265x370
Found my RU commander.
>>
>>44429675
But why

It's so bad
>>
File: 1424069934938.gif (992 KB, 240x135) Image search: [Google]
1424069934938.gif
992 KB, 240x135
>>44428439
>>44428379
I'm Kyle, I play Omnath but it's a cheap 100 buck version.
Spoopy.
>>
>>44429706
>cheap commander that draws cards for playing spells
>bad

K
>>
>>44429811
No, it draws one card for two spells once per your turn.
Utterly garbage.
>>
>>44429732
Is Omnath fun? I'm tired of Elves but I also want to play Xenagod.
>>
>>44429675
Why not just run Keranos?
>>
File: JUSTDO.jpg (78 KB, 456x320) Image search: [Google]
JUSTDO.jpg
78 KB, 456x320
I played EDH for the first time at a buddies house the other day. It was 4 man game. It was... hideously boring. We played 3 matches and each match I was horrifically mana screwed. I borrowed a deck from one of the friends there and I have seen this deck work before but HOLY SHIT the mana screwing is hideous in MTG in general. Now I remember why I stopped. Literally lose if you don't start with minimum 3-4 land in hand. Can't fucking function. So I had to mulligan down to like 3 or 4 cards until I could get some fucking LAND

FUICK THE CONCEPT OF LAND
>>
>>44429839
Mono-Omnath is fun. You have plenty of varied win conditions available. Flexibility with mana. Depending on the playgroup you can play fast and loose or be reserved, never let him grow too big when he's out, and just keep options open.

That being said, mono color decks tend to have less answers to each situation so your deck needs a higher level of cohesion.

Mana base becomes stupid simple and cheap as long as you don't wanna use a cradle.
>>
>>44430165
Poor craftsman, tools, etc...

Git gud fagget
>>
>>44430165
3-4 land in hand? really? 2's all you need m8 they just need some better ramp
>>
>>44430165
That's luck buddy.
>>
>>44430165
>muh mana screw
>hurr magic is hard
>why can't I learn about partial mulligans
>>
>>44429924
Kerenos will maybe draw you one card or shoot a bolt. In the right deck, you can draw at least one extra card per turn with Jori, who also comes down faster.
>>
>>44430330
You mean maximum one card, right? She does not say "for each spell after the first", she says for the second. There can only be one second spell each turn.
Also the extra mana on Keranos is offset by being indestructible.
>>
>>44430165
Shit deck construction or shit luck. Don't blame the game, good deck construction will make mana screwing very rare.
>>
>>44429675
this might see standard play
>>
>>44430444

no it won't. even pros get mana screwed AND LOSE because of it OR mana flooded.
>>
>>44430401
>each turn

I know how the card works. It's not hard to cast two spells a turn.
>>
>>44428654
Well, GWUB cares about enchantments (Though blue tends to care about auras specifically, i.e. Bruna). So you could do something with that.

I'm at a loss for the other ones though.
>>
>>44430535
Two spells per one card, no extra benefits?
>>
>>44430996
>drawing cards for casting spells in UR isn't good

Those spells will be doing things all their own, too.
>>
>>44430505
Being able to mitigate the damage from shit draws is part of the game, and part of deckbuilding. Fuck off and play something else if you don't like it.
>>
>>44431046
I see what you're saying, but do you really feel like it's worth the commander slot? Maybe in the 99.
>>
>>44426337

>Mad Ivan, Cantankerous Contraptionist
>1RRU
>Legendary Creature - Human Rigger
>3/1
>{u/r}{u/r}{u/r}: assemble a contraption
>3RU, T: sacrifice all artifacts you control. For each artifact sacrificed this way, flip a coin. For each coin that lands on heads, Ivan deals 3 damage to each opponent. For each coin that lands on tails, Ivan deals 3 damage to you.
>>
>>44431172
Hot garbage. This isn't Pokemon son.
>>
>>44427656
topor orb and distortion strike is goat in tresserhorn
>>
File: file.png (135 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
file.png
135 KB, 223x310
>>44426501
>He doesn't play Diviner's Wand
>>
>>44429835
>Once per your turn
>mfw litteraly can't read cards.
>mfw this guy has never heard of instants.
>>
>>44431122
I think it's worth a shit as a value commander that will fly under the radar.
>>
>>44426879
Same man, are you gonna build a deck with them?
>>
File: Teferi.png (371 KB, 412x500) Image search: [Google]
Teferi.png
371 KB, 412x500
Hey, quick question. I'm trying to fit a Steel Sabotage in my Teferi Stax deck since I decided I need more bounce. More bounce will let me search up Everflowing Chalice with Tezzeret, bounce it, ramp to 8 (or 10), replay it, and get infinite Chain Veil activations more easily with just Tezz instead of alternating between Tezz and Teferi. What should I cut and are there better options for what I'm trying to do?

List for reference: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/creatureless-teferi-stax/
>>
>>44432435
Nope. RG is a weird combination that I don't have the cards to support, and it certainly seems like a land heavy deck which could get expensive fast. I still like it in theory. Dunno why it's red tho...
>>
>>44432581
Chronatog
Now fuck off with shoving your deck here all the time. You want recs here you go.
>>
>>44432659
I haven't been on here in like a week.

And at least it's just me, unlike those Shu Yun fags.
>>
>>44432767
Just curious, did you check the resources at the top of the thread?
I don't think anybody ever does, I wish we could go back to surveys and questions in the OP instead.
>>
File: mina and denn.png (322 KB, 400x560) Image search: [Google]
mina and denn.png
322 KB, 400x560
>>44432605
That sounds pretty fair. My favorite part about them is that they can bounce Vesuva to reset its copy ability or bounce mountains to replay while Valakut is on the field.

I'm actually working on a lands list if anyone wants to take a look. The plan is to lay low and pump out lands, drawing cards with Horn of Greed and Nissa. Then assemble some board control engine like Valakut+Vesuva+Thespian's Stage (MnD lets me re-use mountains to shoot creatures and eventually faces), Seismic Assault+Loam, Maze of Ith+Vesuva+Thespian's stage to stop big beaters, Phyrexia's Core+Spine of Ish Sah, and Ugin+Haven of the Spirit Dragon+Crucible/Loam or Oblivion Stone+Buried Ruin+Crucible/Loam to wipe the board repeatedly. Then win with Nissa lands, Titania tokens, Valakut or Seismic Assault Burn, or by recurring Dark Depths for the 20/20 token.

Right now I guess I'm looking for better card advantage and removal, and to trim some of the less effective lands (want to keep the land count around 50).

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mina-and-denn-lands/
>>
>>44432868
Yeah, I did. None of them help when you're trying to cut things from your deck.

edhrec stats are always thrown off by people who just took a precon and changed 10 cards and threw their list up on tappedout. Tappedout lists are either garbage lists like what I just described or have cards that are way outside my price range that are integral to the deck (Force of Will, Mana Crypt, Snapcaster, Top, etc.). MTGSalvation forums are a chore to sift through when you don't have an account. I finally found the Teferiwalker thread on page 4 and there are 4 posts in the entire thread. What a great resource. Card search engines are good but they can be time consuming to search through and can sometimes miss good options if you don't search for the right thing. And obviously what I'm asking about doesn't apply to manabasecrafter.

But again, none of that matters because none of them help when you're trying to cut things from your deck.
>>
>>44432581
This is a pretty cool deck, I would probably cut Library of Leng unless you face a lot of discard in your meta and you find yourself often discarding key cards. Mindbreak also seems like overkill unless you're playing against storm or really need to exile threats (4 mana is also a lot for a counterspell). Elixir of Immortality is also a little weak, but you are strapped for recursion options in blue.

Depending on how fast you start denying your opponents mana, I'd recommend adding Disdainful Stroke as a cheap and powerful counterspell.
>>
>>44433472
You know, Library of Leng has always been kind of underwhelming to me. I only really put it in there because I wanted another thing that gave me no max hand size. Spellbook sucks and Venser's Journal is expensive and doesn't protect Teferi, so I went with Library. I guess I could put it back in if discard becomes more prevalent in my meta, but it really isn't right now.

Mindbreak Trap is a metagame choice. There's one guy in my playgroup who has an infinite or near-infinite combo based around bouncing and replaying creatures in damn near every deck he plays. His Freyalise deck runs Temur Sabertooth+Concordant Crossroads+mana dorks. His Sliver deck runs Wild Pair+Hibernation Sliver+haste slivers+mana slivers+1 drops to fetch out every sliver in his deck (and that combo is a lot more practical than it sounds on paper). I haven't looked at any of his blue decks, but I wouldn't be surprised if he runs High Tide+Palinchron. So yeah, I need to keep it in for to cut his combos off as soon as possible. There have also been an increasing number of Storm decks because of Mizzix, so it's also partially in there because of Storm.

Elixir of Immortality is actually part of one of the win conditions. I'm too much of a poorfag to afford Karn and Ugin, so I had to get creative with my win conditions. One thing that I thought of was to have everyone draw their libraries with Jace Beleren after going infinite with Chain Veil. The problem with this plan is that I could end up decking myself this way. Elixir lets me get around that by making sure I always have at least some cards in my library, while my opponents don't.

Disdainful Stroke is an interesting idea. I'll consider it.
>>
>>44433050
Mul daya channelers for flavor and because you're already manipulating the top of your deck?
You're splashing red, why not some wheels to refill your hand?
Also a green deck with this much ramp but no big fatties just feels wrong.
>>
>>44433835
>Elixir of Immortality
Consider running lab maniac instead if you're that worried about decking yourself.
>>
>>44433964
But then it wouldn't be creatureless. MUH GIMMICK.

You're right though, it is a better win condition. If I were running creatures, Lab Maniac would be one of them.
>>
File: 1436241318147.gif (650 KB, 647x363) Image search: [Google]
1436241318147.gif
650 KB, 647x363
>>44431172
you know this seems like something wotc would actually print. "you want UR artifact legend? Have terribad coinflip garbage :^)"

That said I would probably still play it just for the name Mad Ivan.

>tfw we still don't know what contraptions do
>>
how does /tg/ feel about white weenies:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/darien-king-of-weenies-1/
>>
File: 1449537081833.png (143 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1449537081833.png
143 KB, 300x300
I'm in this weird spot now where I feel like my three decks cover the major archetypes in edh to the point where every deck I make will be boring.

I have yet to build a deck with white in it though. I'd really like to find a good one, but I'm too addicted to decks that do 10 different things every turn and interact with the board.

Currently leaning towards either Mayael, Zurgo or Dromoka.

Currently have: Glissa the Traitor, Olivia Voldaren and Kruphix.
>>
>>44434278
>Mono-white
Good luck with that, anon.
For practical advice, I'd cut some of your higher curve stuff and run more ramp. I'd also cut Karoo, it just generally doesn't seem good and I don't see any synergy it has with anything else.

>>44434306
Zurgo interacts with the board by blowing it up. I'd go with Zurgo.
>>
>>44434278
what about stuffy doll
>>
>>44434306
Try Hokori, Dust Drinker stax
>>
>>44434425
>stuffy doll
oh and give it lifelink
>>
>>44434100
contraptions should just be artifact tokens that literally do nothing, like darksteel relic, minus the indestructible.

sac fodder, affinity fodder, metalcraft fodder, only they are tokens that are assembled.
>>
>>44434409
I've played Kemba before and done okay. It's certainly not a great color identity, but my interest in him as a commander will supercede that. but after goldfishing i'd agree on karoo, it's awful tempo early game and irrelevant late game. What would you recommend swapping in place of some higher CMC stuff?
>>44434425
>>44434467
wow i love it
>>
>>44434550
that second comment might sound sarcastic but i actually think that's really neat i'll give it a go!
>>
>>44433922
I know it seems wrong not to have big beaters, but I'm really trying to lock down the board and win with incremental advantage with this deck. Although Avenger of Zendikar might find his way in because I'll end up playing so many lands (though he's really vulnerable to board wipes). Good call on the wheels though, I'll try to find some room for them.
>>
>>44434550
>What would you recommend swapping in place of some higher CMC stuff
Just more ramp. Thran Dynamo, Gilded Lotus, Fellwar Stone, Darksteel Ingot, anything really. You're in white so you can also run stuff like Knight of the White Orchid and Land Tax. Can't think of anything that would activate Darien that you're not already running though.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-28-18-29-51.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-28-18-29-51.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
>>44434452
Glissa is a stax recursion deck that is pushing the limits of the groups power level.

Not mono white, definitely. That would be fucking terrible. I considered Zedruu but I don't think anyone would enjoy that.

Also I just realized how much pic related look alike
>>
>>44434667
Maybe Gaddock Teeg hatebears then?
>>
>>44434306
Selvala is fun and gets BIG really quickly
>>
>>44434100
>tfw we still don't know what contraptions do
I just Googled this. Did Wizards really print one-off cards that MIGHT interact with future mechanics? This is some strange stuff.
>>
>>44434767
Doesn't she just instantaneously die because people know she's not doing them any favors?
>>
>>44434830
Future Sight was intentionally trying to foreshadow future mechanics as a test drive. Some made the cut (hello delve), some didn't.
>>
>>44424882
auto include in any deck with ur
>counter game winner
>counter counter
>pact
>draw card
>pact just became a fucking cantrip
my dick
>>
>>44434841
you can usually get a couple turns going before people flip and that's often all you need
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 480x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 480x350
Did some minor updates to my Melek deck. It's definitely become my favorite these last few games. I had 35 copies on Melek on the field thanks to a copied and kicked Rite of Replication that I was able to cast twice thanks to Psychic Spiral.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/scientific-progress-goes-boink/
>>
>>44435151
What about the legend rule though?
>>
>>44427068
you want to join a skype group for cockatrice mtg?
>>
>>44435297
Shhhh! He doesn't know about state based actions and thinks he respond to the legend rule.
>>
>>44435297
He doesnt know, let him dream anon
>>
>>44435297
He's running mirror gallery.
>>
How do you weight loses in multiplayer games when calculating your deck's win/loss ratio?
>>
>>44435297
>>44435338
>>44435339
>they don't know about the mirror gallery Melek anon
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 300x300
any advice for an Athreos deck that isnt shadowborn spam?
>>
>>44435450
Fleshbag effects are nice
>>
>>44424033
I've been making one of each red colour combo, and its time to build a new mono-R. Can a Godo deck be made to be fun and decently effective? Or will it run out of cards, get locked out of the game and/or just be shit like most mono-R decks?

Hardmode - not running the money equipments
>>
>>44435479
Cept blade of selves. Because myriad is the coolest mechanic I've ever seen
>>
>>44435479
What's up with all the Godo decks/ideas popping up lately?
>>
>>44435479
zirilan for mono red or go home
>>
>>44435107
I just need to figure out what I want to do.

The meta is 10-20 turn battleship magic. My satisfaction comes from keeping the board in check and satisfying my adhd. Winning quickly just isn't interesting to me, I'd rather survive the test of time against what the other decks throw at me and keep on going.

Teeg seems pretty neat, but too much frustration for too little payoff.

Selvala seems worth a shot. Mayael seems good for my meta though. I think I'm looking more for an archetype than a color currently.
>>
>>44435503
Just think of it as the latest hotness to discuss.
>>
>>44434830
>>44434100
>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/are-you-future-2007-05-04
>I think the final card does what it is meant to do quite well—be funny, with just a hint of potential, and not actually be worthless in play. Others, including Mark Rosewater, disagree, citing that people now expect us to make Contraptions some day and won't be happy until we do. The card is certainly polarizing and has generated lots and lots of discussion, which is good enough for me. I don't really expect Contraptions to be realized in the game, but I'm sure some enterprising young designer will surprise me some day; in fact, Kenneth Nagle has already put forth a few ways that the game could incorporate the idea in such a way that Steamflogger Boss actually makes sense.

The card was a joke, we'll like never see contraptions in game.
>>
>>44424834
Goblins anon you can't get more easy going and swarmy than goblins and don't think for a second one or two board wipes will stop you, if you are a good player you know when to hold back and when to go all out. Just because you are playing goblins doesn't mean you have to play like a goblin
>>
>>44436466
Aaron received lots of flack for saying that Contraptions was just a joke and now fans want it to be a real thing. MaRo is taking on the challenge of solving Contraptions before he retires. One of the restrictions he is putting on is it must work with how Steamflogger laid it out. According to him, Contraptions can be solved in a day if it was not for that.
>>
>>44435343
>>44435405

Thank you.
>>
File: stone haven.jpg (34 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
stone haven.jpg
34 KB, 265x370
Glad I stuck with playing Nahiri. This is rad.
>>
>>44435335
can I join?
>>
>>44437774
yeah
my skype is mistertorgue
>>
>>44437713
Can't tell is this guarantees nahiri is in the next set or if she's absolutely not.

Either way they better come out with something better than fucking dragon throne and heroes blade.
>>
>>44424784
Enchantments. Don't have to pay an equip cost.
>>
>>44437713
>giving +1/+1 so that it doesn't break skullclamp even more
>>
Hey guys, me and my group are making edh decks using proxies. We are all new to edh but id like help building a blue black mill deck.
>>
>>44438253
I'm fine with that. Plus with Nahiri the +1/+1 doesn't matter if you wanna draw cards with her +2. They die even before the +1/+1 can take effect because you slap clamp on their faces when spawning so they spawn as a 2/0 and die. My concern is that would you just draw two because the new Kor doesn't count it as an equipped dying creature or would you draw three because it sees it?

The +1/+1 is the real reason I'm playing it though. The deck needed something like this and Auriok Steelshaper was the closest thing to it and I don't like him.
>>
>>44437793
added you
>>
>>44438325
Jesus, what is it with new players and mill?

If you want to play mill play Oona and generate infinite mana to mill the while table at once.
>>
>>44438325
Phenax is UB mill, pretty fun and easy to pilot, and can be built for very cheap:
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-commander-phenax-god-of-deception-50-or-7-tix
>>
>>44438253
Makes living weapons better so that's kind of interesting.
>>
>>44438422
did you add the right one?
>>
Good thing I have Tabletop Simulator, I don't have to pay a dime for this game anymore
>>
>>44438478
Finally, Bonehoard might feel playable.

Flayerhusk becomes pretty cool too. 2/2 for 1.
>>
>>44438325
You should keep in mind that milling alone tends to be kind of weak, especially since you have to mill so many more cards in EDH and because all it takes is one eldrazi titan or elixir of immortality to put you back to square one. Not to mention laboratory maniac being a thing and the popularity of graveyard based strategies. I'd recommend including things like spelltwine and rise of the dark realms that take advantage of having cards in other people's graveyard. That way milling isn't your only win condition.
>>
So /tg/, I want to build an equipment deck, but Im not sure what to use as the general, there are a few:
Kemba
Nahiri
Godo
Sigarda
Aurelia

Which would be best and why? I feel that on one hand, while white has the good stuff like Leonin Shikari and Puresteel Paladin, it doesn't have access to things like Scrap Mastery, Deretti, Vandalblast etc. As for Green, its one of the best colors in EDH with so much broken shit its no even funny, and having hexproof and flying stapled to the general is very nice and saves some card slots.

So what do you guys think?
>>
>>44438603
Im not new to the game so I know how weak mill is its just something i enjoy in every card game. We are all new to edh so im not sure if eveeyone is going to have staples that counter genrric strategies such as mine. I think everyone is just going to have 100 of their favourites cards with a few synergistic elements. If mill isnt that interesting whats a good blue white control deck commandeer and what are some staples in the same colour?
>>
>>44438745
Just be ready to pay twice as much for half the results.
>>
>>44438769
In regards to which general? Kinda vague there Anon...
>>
>>44438791
All senpai. All. The very nature of equipment decks - especially mono-white ones - make them expensive.
>>
>>44438750
Play Bruna if you want something hilarious to happen. Grand Arbiter Augustin if you want your friends to be frustrated. Hanna Ships Navigator if you want to do complex stuff.

Control is more nuanced in commander since other colors have a wide enough card pool to do it. Tax is more blue white though.
>>
>>44438791
Sigarda will get you wins in brutal efficient fashion for around 250$

The other ones will require more of an investment. However, Nahiri let's you play outside of pure voltron.
>>
>>44424834
As somebody who has made some of the more popular tribals to competitive levels, Krenko goblins is the cheapest and can be done as low as $50.
>>
>>44438807
>depression sinks in
On the bright side, I have one of every sword already so thats not an issue
>>
File: big black waifu.jpg (38 KB, 500x303) Image search: [Google]
big black waifu.jpg
38 KB, 500x303
>>44438745
I'm running Nahiri. I feel Kemba is too passive for monowhite voltron. Nahiri is neat because you can spam the shit out of wrath effects and keep spawning a single dude that can defend or swing or whatever.

If you want the hexproof though go for Sigarda or Thrun.

Godo seems hella rad for mono red and Kalemne wrecks face as a voltron commander because double strike and vigilance are two extremely relevant abilities for a voltron beater.
>>44438769
This is also extremely true. Still haven't gotten around to finding a Land Tax yet.
>>
>>44438814
Im just trying to narrow down what i want to play, so what are some edh tax cards?
>>
File: 59.jpg (69 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
59.jpg
69 KB, 312x445
>>44438889
Weathered Wayfarer is pretty good because he can search up fetchlands. As for voltron you can't do wrong with the dax man
>>
>>44439031
Oh yeah. Daxos is cool too. Fun ability and neat evasion. Sucks when you hit land though.
>>
Is there any sort of website that uses the current card prices to calculate the expected value of opening a pack?
>>
>>44439153
http://www.magicdrafting.com/dragons-of-tarkir-sealed/
they have generators for Origins, FRF, DTK, BFZ, and MM2
>>
>>44424834
Ezuri elves is pretty cheap, barring like 4 cards...oracle of mul daya, flip nissa, a few others. But a lot of the essentials are cheap. The elf lords that you want are all no more than a few dollars, and loads of the staples are commons and uncommons. Get the green 2014 precon as a place to start and you're off to the races. Pretty competitive too.
>>
Gentlemen. How do I deal with a Krenko goblin horde deck with a bunch of cheap weenies with synergy. The problem is, in my playgroup, I can tailor to the really powerful players but then I am exposed to the horde of 1 and 2 CMC drops.
>>
>>44431570
okay, so, you cant play it until turn 2 or 3, and even then, you cant get its effect until turn 4 or 5, and the only way you will be consistently be getting its effect is if you fill your deck with flashback cards and generally low cmc cards, and even then, you only get 1 card per 2 spells you play at best. Essentially, it encourages cards that aren't impactfull enough in commander, and dies very easily.

TLDR, there are way better UR cards that have similar functions, this card is too specific and not impact-full enough.
>>
>>44438370

this is incorrect, you may attach an equipment to the Kor after it enters the battlefield, unless i'm mistaken, the kor will get +1/-1 and +1/+1 as it becomes equipped, making it a 3/1.
>>
>>44439814
Ah, you're probably right. Oh well. Still gonna run it. equip based anthem effects and global clamp effect is nice.
>>
>>44431570
How many second spells do you cast each turn? It clearly does not say every other hut SECOND
>>
I'm looking at Zirilan's effect, and wondering if I can cheat past it to avoid the exile aspect.

>tap + mana: Search your library for a Dragon permanent card and put that card onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library. That Dragon gains haste until end of turn. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.

If I sacrifice the dragon before the end step, is it still exiled? If I recur it will it be exiled in another end step?
>>
>>44440013
One although multiple per round
>>
>>44440485
No it won't be exiled I believe, you can also return it to hand/library or use Sundial of the Infinite to end the turn
>>
>>44440013
Youngsters these days don't seem to know about niv mizzet.
>>
>>44440650
It does seem like a lot of work to only draw one more per turn with Jori En. I'm thinking even Dracogenius would be better for card draw since you can hold up mana for counterspells and then dump it all into his ping ability right before your turn.
>>
>>44439753
Exactly. Plus, as soon as she starts to become relevant she's going to get removed. For the mana investment there are better cards.
>but it flies under the radar!
Is a terrible reason to run a 99er as the commander.
>>
I used to play this game, must be around 16 years ago now. I've not touched it since then.

Questions:
What would the best way to get back into this game be?
Would any of my old cards still be relevant?
>>
>>44426194
>It's a forum.
No, no it isn't.
>>
>>44438488
Now I did.
>>
>>44441913
Depends entirely on what you have. Most of the cards in my edh deck were printed before 1999.
>>
>>44440485
Sundial of the Infinite keeps your dragon out.
Tel-Jilad Stylus puts it back in the library for repeatable use.
Reito Lantern/Junktroller puts it from graveyard to library and out to the field.

Zirilan just encourages janky interaction between cards. That's why I like it.
>>
Just built a new deck about a week ago, this is my first EDH deck and I'm not particularly good at EDH. I played a couple casual games with it at my LGS and didn't do particularly well, could anyone give me some advice on how to improve it? I found that I didn't get many counterspells early game, so I may add in a couple of those.

http://deckstats.net/decks/53256/373870-izzet-edh/en
>>
Anyone know good ways to get additional value out of large creatures in R or RW?

I have a Brion Stoutarm deck I've been building. Play a fatty, attack, toss him at someone (or something if I have bloodshot cyclops), and the fatty generally has a death trigger which causes additional damage.

Sofar I've put in Warstorm Surge and Where Ancients tread (ETB damage equal to pow or 5 respectively), Flameshadow Conjuring and Minion Reflector (temporary clones when ETB), and then damage multipliers like Gratuitous Violence, Gisela, Dictate of the Twin Gods.

Scuttling Doom Engine cloning, attacking, flinging, booming is a nice 18 damage onto the table just from the clone. 36 with a doubler or flinging the original too, and 72 with both. But with burn in EDH you can never have enough because dat 200 odd life to chew through
>>
So im looking to build a colorless eldrazi edh deck and I can't decide whether Kozilek or Ulamog would be better as the commander, my meta currently is a Mizzik player and another guy playing Zedru. Which Eldrazi would you guys suggest I play?
>>
>>44443330
Play narset and show them the error of their ways.
>>
>>44443508
I'd rather play Eldrazi tribal
>>
>>44435496
>>44435479
Sword of the Animist is a must. Best access to ramp that red has outside of the Rituals
>>
>>44435379

I don't

there is only win lose draw

Multiplayer doesn't change anything in that regard, being killed first or last doesn't matter, and half the time an infinite combo kills everybody at once
>>
>>44443330
Kozilek is much better as a commander. When you dump your whole hand full of mana rocks being able to draw 4 repeatedly is so much more useful than just destroying a permanent. Ulamog's great but keep him in the 99.
>>
>>44444894
That's what I was thinking too, would you suggest running the new Ulamog or the old one? Also, how do you feel about the new Kozilek?
>>
>>44444963
Why not both? I think the new Kozilek's neat too, not sure if he's better than the old one as a commander but it's worth testing out.
>>
File: fable.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
fable.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
For some fucking reason Amazon does not even know thta Fable of wolf and owl even exists. I go search it up and it just links me tp parrel lives and murkfiend leige.

Does any one else have this problem?
>>
>>44445041
Yea ill probably just end up doing that, thanks for the advice!
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.