[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: tiers.jpg (146 KB, 915x1568) Image search: [Google]
tiers.jpg
146 KB, 915x1568
Piggybacking off of >>44416318 said, what do you play in the important tiers?
>>
>>44417222
Bogles, Elves and Infect
How much am I hated?
>>
>>44417264
Not gunna lie I hate you with a passion. Except elves elves rock and are fun to play with and against, at least imo
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
>>
>>44417289
If it makes you feel better I rarely play any of thoese except Elves, the main decks that I play are Tokens, Elves and Duskmantle Mindcrank
>>
File: Vendilion_Clique.jpg (92 KB, 640x479) Image search: [Google]
Vendilion_Clique.jpg
92 KB, 640x479
>>44417094
I want to get weeb versions of the cards, but in the mean time I'm just picking up regular lorywn era versions

>>44417152
Yeah it's not too bad now, though shit like thoughtseize is expensive (the old ones are worth $20 more than the theros ones).

>>44417182
Not even close. At heart, you're playing good old aggro control when using faeries.
>>
>>44417318
pls post Duskmantle Mindcrank list, sounds hilarious
>>
>>44417332
Tokens is also an aggro control deck, it just happens to be far more resilient and powerful.
>>
>>44417222
what's this Titan Shift hullabulloo I've been hearing about? scapeshift with more aggro focus and just using scapeshift as a combo out? I've been out of the loop
>>
>>44417222
I play Naya Zoo with Alesha and Fulminator teched in. Very fun.
>>
>>44417387
From what I've heard its just RG Scapeshift, but I could be wrong. LSV played it a while ago

>>44417408
Spicy dude, Alesha is great
>>
>>44417344
4x Duskmantle Guildmage
2x Dimir Infliltrator
4x Spellskite

4x Inquisition of Kozilek
4x Dimir Charm
2x Gut Shot
2x Slaughter Pact
4x Dismember
4x Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
4x Muddle the Mixture
4x Serum Visions

And lands, that include stuff like Darksteel Citadel
>>
>>44417482
Thats what its like at the moment. Most of the time I have 3x Dismember, 3x Inquisition of Kozilek, 2x Spellskite to make way for 4x Aether Vial
>>
>>44417370
Having discard and removal doesn't make it a controlish deck at all. Faeries is true aggro control, being able to fluidly switch gears from controlling the board state early game to swinging down mid to late game. b/w tokens is a swarm deck through and through.
>>
>>44417547
"BW Tokens is a difficult deck to classify; it has aspects of control, aggro, and combo. It wins with creatures, but there's no need to be discouraged if the opponent is still at twenty by turn 5. In fact, the longer the game goes, the more confident I feel about winning. For this reason, I tend to treat BW Tokens as a control deck that puts its efforts into creature advantage rather than mana, cards in hand, or defensive planeswalkers (as more traditional control decks do)." - Reid Duke
Its genuinely more of a control deck. If you resolve an Auriok Champion, a Bitterblossom and a Liliana, they will be hard pressed to overcome it, considering that you run 6-8 removal spells and 7 hand disruption spells
When you play this deck, you play it slowly, sperging out with the spectral processions shows me you are a terrible player
>>
>>44417482
What are your matchups like?
>>
>>44417628
Having aspects of control decks doesn't make it a control deck. Does every deck running thoughtseize and path to exile classify as control then to you?

>When you play this deck, you play it slowly, sperging out with the spectral processions shows me you are a terrible player
Never said I did, but making assumptions like that just shows me you're a sperg. Having aspects of aggro and control doesn't make a deck aggro-control.
>>
>>44417647
Elves, Affinity, Burn and Bogles are just too explosive and you lose most games
Merfolk isnt as bad, but still not good
The Grixis decks are very good matchups, as are all the Delver decks, especially game 1.
Twin is pretty easy, you combo off a turn earlier than them. Plus your secondary wincon is much better
Storm is very easy as well.
Jund is unwinnable, Kommand wrecks you
Living End is predictably easy
The thing with the deck is it isnt very consistant. Its a reasonable meta choice for a group that loves its combo and control decks, absolutely woeful vs fast decks
>>
I found the draw spell for blue. The only good one. I've done it boys
>>
File: jhoria.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
jhoria.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
>>44415819
>>
File: temur.png (168 KB, 677x589) Image search: [Google]
temur.png
168 KB, 677x589
the 2/2 just dies...right?

also, does indestructable trump deathtouch?
>>
>>44418147
They both die and yes, deathtouch will not kill indestructible.
>>
>>44418147
2/2 dies but takes the 3/3 with it

indestructible cannot be destroyed by lethal damage. any amount of damamge by a source with death touch is considered lethal damage.
>>
>>44418147
>the 2/2 just dies...right?
They both die

>also, does indestructable trump deathtouch?
Yes. Indestructible trumps 2 things: damage and destroy effects. It does not however save you from sacrifice effects and somehow lowering a creature's toughness to zero (think dismember: -5/-5 and 5 damage are not the same thing) and it also does not save you from bounce or exile effects.
>>
>>44418147
Both die. 2 damage get assigned from the attacker before regular damage, them regular damage gets assigned, meaning both are at -1.
>>
Where can I see good matchup analyses for the Tier 1 decks?

I would like to read about UR Twin and Jund in particular.
>>
Is there any effective difference between Podless Collected, GW Hatebears and Big Zoo or are they all pretty much "hard to answer threats with a minimum support of Path and CoCo"?
>>
>>44418483
Podless has the combo playline?
>>
>>44418483
not that much but i can elaborate
podless is just shitty pid that still wants to get its combo off but can function as zoo
hatebears is more of a goodstuff zoo usually in GW
gruul zoo is faster than naya zoo
naya zoo and abzan zoo run a lot if similar cards
knightfall is just maya zoo but in bant colors with retreat to coralhelm combo
they all work similarly but arent identical
>>
>>44417222
>UWx control is no longer even Tier 2
>>44418411
Pascal Maynard did a great article on Channel Fireball on this exact question.
>>44418483
Hatebears actually has hate bears, like Leonin Arbiter, it taxes your mana base and it's threats aren't hard to deal with as much as you can't do so because you can't cast any of your spells through Thalia, Arbiter, and Aven Mindsensor. (Also doesn't run CoCo) Melira Coco is all about value creatures, Finks, E-Witness, and random one ofs that can be tortured out(like when Pod was legal) Big Zoo is an aggro deck that just tries to curve out and hit you with small guys to medium guys that turn big with Exalted triggers and whatnot.
>>
>>44418717
Great read. Thanks man
>>
Is Wild Nacatl now used in most burn decks?
>>
>>44419958
there are people who love it and people who hate it. it gives some explosive starts but it's a terrible top deck when you just need one last bolt to win.
>>
>>44419976
I really can't decide on whether or not to put it in. I'd hate to topdeck it and my opponent be at 3 but I agree it is probably the best turn one play. I might test it out , cutting skullcrack and lightning helix arguably the two weakest burn spells and just having two Searing Blaze.
>>
>>44420098
Part of your nut draw it's a lot better, it's dependent on meta and whatnot.
>>
>>44417222
In the process of building merfolk. Already have most of the expensive stuff from legacy DnT
>>
>>44420178
In what kind of meta would you say it's better suited for?
>>
>>44420401
Ones with less removal.
>>
How got is this, /tg/?

Lands (22)
1x Bojuka Bog
4x Ghost Quarter
4x Godless Shrine
4x Isolated Chapel
4x Marsh Flats
2x Plains
1x Swamp
2x Vault of the Archangel

Instants (8)
4x Brave the Elements
4x Dismember

Artifact/Enchantment (1)
1x Whip of Erebos

Creature (20)
4x Ajani's Pridemate
3x Auriok Champion
2x Soul Warden
3x Soul's Attendant
4x Tidehollow Sculler
4x Vizkopa Guildmage

Planeswalker (4)
1x Ajani Steadfast
1x Ob Nixilis Reignited
2x Sorin, Solemn Visitor

Sorcery (5)
4x Lingering Souls
1x Return to the Ranks

Sideboard (15)
4x Celestial Flare
1x Kataki, War's Wage
2x Leyline of Sanctity
2x Rest in Peace
2x Stony Silence
4x Sundering Growth
>>
>>44420439
But this is modern. There's so much removal in almost every deck.
>>
>>44420687
Take out Whip, it's a four mana enchantment, that you have to spend four mana on to get back 1~2 mana creatures, it just isn't really worth it. Also, no path to exile? And Brave the Elements really shouldn't be a four of, with the format being about a lot of targeted removal, you're going to brave the elements for not full value. I imagine a lot of the time you're going to do it to just save one guy, if you're just doing that you could run god's willing at that point. If you're worried about anger of the gods out of the board, run Forge-Tender at that point.
>>44420992
You kinda see the problem with running Nacatl instead of a burn spell that can't be abrupt decayed? Or blocked?
>>
>>44421066
The reason to run it is that if it lands turn 1 you can usually get 3 damage out of it, and if you're running goblin guide you can eat removal while pushing through damage. If they have to spend their turn 2 killing it, that's not too bad for you
>>
File: RG Scapeshift.png (25 KB, 336x671) Image search: [Google]
RG Scapeshift.png
25 KB, 336x671
Can I get some critique on my RG Scapeshift list?

It feels way more controlly than it needs to be, but anger just shits all over aggro and CoCo decks
>>
>>44421304
And on the other hand, topdecking it means giving your opponent a chance to stabilize.
>>
>>44422095
>4 Anger of the Gods
Holy shit.

Other than that,

>4 Valakut
Why?
>>
>>44422116
>>4 Valakut
>Why?

Because Primetime makes them a lot stronger. The goal isn't to just scapeshift and do 36, it can also win with primeval titan doing absurd amounts of damage over 1 or 2 turns.
>>
>>44422142
I see. Pretty cool.
>>
File: modern 2015.jpg (379 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
modern 2015.jpg
379 KB, 750x1000
Affinity - Play it at least once a month
Burn - Used to play it a lot, got tired of Leylines/lifegain
Jund - Have cards / like it in testing / never got around to playing it, but I bet I will next year.
UR Twin - I played straight twin once, I prefer a 3rd color
RG Tron - Haven't played it in months; got tired of Affinity, Infect and Burn matchups
Amulet Bloom - Tried it 2-3 times. Didn't like how inconsistent it is.
Merfolk - Tried it once. Didn't like results.

Abzan - Tried it once. Too fair.
Grixis Twin - My preferred twin. I play it almost as much as Affinity.
Scapeshift - I prefer the RUG version. Good deck that I don't play often enough.
Bogles - Haven't played in quite a while. Got tired of losing to Spellskite / Oblivion Stone.
Ad Nauseum - Tried once. Nope.
Elves - Tried once. Nope.
>>
>>44417387
It's neat, but not as consistent as I'd hoped.
>>
So is this new Bx Eldrazi deck just a meme or does it actually have promise? I mean on the draw turn one swamp or urborg into relic, turn two eye of ugin into wasteland strangler seems bretty gud.
>>
>>44423123
I think people are trying really hard to make BFZ good
>>
File: 21.jpg (59 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
21.jpg
59 KB, 312x445
>tfw green has better card draw then blue
Compare this to Jaces ingenuity which costs one more
Why does this not see any play?
>>
>>44423447
Jace's Ingenuity is instant speed which makes a huge difference. If you're playing cards that draw like that, you're probably either trying to combo or control, and in the case of control, you don't want to tap out on your own turn and not be able to use whatever answers on your opponent.
>>
>>44417222
Hey guys random question. Amulet of Vigor + shock lands how do they interact
>>
Spoils very soon, fellow stalkers.
>>
>>44422957
>Abzan - Tried it once. Too fair.

Shit nigga just pick up a deck already.
>>
>>44423447
I use a playset of Harmonizes in my green ramp deck, it's a great card. Sorcery speed makes it less flexible than blue's instant speed card draw, which can be cast during your opponent's end-step and leave you mana open in case you need to disrupt them. Of course, my deck doesn't contain disruption so I don't care about leaving mana open, hence four Harmonize.
>>
>>44424115
Untaps for free.
>>
>>44422957
>Tried it 2-3 times
>thinks this is a relevant sample size
>cry about inconsistency despite having zero clue about how to actually play the deck and when the titan train goes off by t4 95% of the time, t2/3s not being rare either
Just stop posting.
>>
>>44417222
amulet, infect, and grixis delver. I wish all my burn matchups could be as good as bloom's.
>>
>>44417222
I own Affinity + all Naya staples + all URx staples + all BGx staples. My options are vast, but I am currently trying to master UR Twin the most. Honestly the deck isn't broken and most of the time you can't assemble Deceiver + Twin early and successfully. It also forces you to draw the right openers in several matchups to stand a fighting chance against their decent openers (think of Burn), which isn't always an option because of variance. Like I really want my Lightning Bolt and Snapcaster Mage or the Deceiver combo against Burn, but sometimes you don't see them. Especially g1 when you don't know what you are playing against yet and you feel the Land Land Land Serum Remand Peek Pestermite hand is decent against a good chunk of the field.
>>
can i get some help with my ug delver brew?

4 breeding pool
3 forest
3 island
4 misty rainforest
2 polluted delta
2 wooded foothills
4 delver of secrets
2 pongify
2 rapid hybridiztion
4 serum visions
1 spell snare
2 stubborn denial
4 thought scour
2 vapor snag
3 young wolf
2 deprive
3 mana leak
3 remand
4 snapcaster mage
4 tarmogoyf
1 dismember
2 hooting mandrills

really not sure about the sideboard at all. haven't done much testing yet so idk what the bad matchups really are.

2 dispel
1 nature's claim
3 spell pierce
2 feed the clan
2 hurkyl's recall
2 spellskite
2 unravel the aether
1 dismember

I really don't like hooting mandrills and i was wondering if anyone could recommend something better. It doesn't block tasigur, angler, or goyf favorably. It really doesn't do anything. I just can't think of another cheap fatty to stick in there.
>>
>>44425580
Whats the reason for not just running UR delver?
What does this deck accomplish that its counterpart cannot?
>>
>>44426187
for funsies
>>
>>44425580
>4 Young wolf

W H Y
H
Y

>tarmagoyf
Your deck lacks the required amount of cards to make him nuts, at most hes a 4/5, and thats if you hit all of your types.

Quite honestly it seems like you're missing out on great cards that UR delver viable like bolt, electrolyze, and fork
>>
>>44426301
there was a list a few months ago for budget ug tempo or something like that. i added delver and goyf and changed some other stuff around. the young wolves are left over from that.
>>
>>44425580
I'm assuming you want to play UG so I'll avoid telling you to put in red cards, however RUG Delver is very good because red gives you reach and Goyf is a better delver than Delver.

First off, for creatures, you're going to want 4 Delver and 4 Goyf like you have now. They're the most efficient beaters the deck has access to. 2-4 Mandrills seems good too. Yes, it can't attack through Tasigur, Angler, or Goyf, but it eats through Lingering Souls and shit. The amount of Snaps you run seems meta dependent but I think 4 seems too much since the deck is supposed to be mana-light. Probably 2-3 is the correct amount. Young Wolf is garbage in this deck.

You're missing out on Disrupting Shoal, which is an awesome tempo card. A full set is pretty good, since you can pitch Thought Scour, Serum Visions and Git Probe to counter Bolts and Paths, which are probably the best anti-Delver cards out there. Speaking of Git Probe, run four. Cantrips are what allows Delver to keep the land count low. You should also find room for Simic Charm, which is fucking awesome in Delver since it does literally everything and helps a lot with Disrupting Shoal. As a one of, I'd play Curiosity, since it can fuel Goyf a bit more and provide card advantage.
>>
>>44426766
yeah I'm trying to keep it UG to satisfy my special snowflake syndrome. Really great suggestions man. I'll definitely add those cards. I seriously can't believe I forgot probe.
>>
>>44426910
No problem. I know people don't like him all that much but I'd read some of Jordan Boisvert's articles on Modern Nexus. He knows a lot about tempo.
>>
File: Bant Emeria.png (1 MB, 1131x636) Image search: [Google]
Bant Emeria.png
1 MB, 1131x636
Tell me how shit this is /tg/
>>
>>44427027
aether spellbomb's been working out
>>
>>44427180

Yeah its a really nice card in the deck, sac it for card draw if its not needed or keep recurring to clear the way for sun titan.

mtgo being buggy is a feature by this point
>>
>>44421066
Brave is also used offensively or as a combat trick to block. What should I put in if I take the whip away?
>>
>>44425580

>4 snapcaster mage
>4 tarmogoyf

>2 hooting mandrills

This doesn't work well together.
>>
So Pod is getting unbanned to nerf Affinity and Burn again, right?
>>
A LGS nearby is selling Khans of Tarkir and Journey to Nyx booster boxes for 30% off. Think it's worth it? I have almost no cards from those sets.
>>
>>44427754
Khans probably, Journey hell no.
>>44427672
Learn to sideboard.
>>
Thinking of finishing off bogles. Just need to buy horizon canopies and thickets. Is it even worth using canopies or can I get away with brushlands instead?
>>
>>44427778
>Learn to sideboard.
Hue. That's like saying Birthing Pod was fine because of Grafdigger's Cage and Aven Mindcensor. So I guess we are in agreement for an unbanning?
>>
>>44427951
Birthing Pod was good in spite of Graffdigger's Cage and Aven Mindcensor. So no.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 223x310
>>44423447
Blue's got the same card, but it's a better card in green.
>>
>>44427788
Unless you're planning on going to a gp or something just stick with brushland.
>>
I fell for the Twin is interactive meme
;_;
>>
>>44423447
>>44428588
wasn't this originally a timeshift card? It's supposed to be the exact card in green instead of blue.
>>
>>44429578
Yes it was printed in planar chaos
>>
>>44429488
Play Jund if you wanna interact.
>>
im a bit new to infect and im wondering when i should playbelf against jund or burn. i know youre supposed to play elf turn 1 on play and hierarch on draw but if i get my elf bolted turn one im fucked arent i? is it better to get him to react and protect the elf from seize or wait and try to get a clear shot with the elf? should i wait and play the elf turn two when i have mana to pump it to protect it?
>>
>>44429886
I actually don't like the way Jund interacts and I really don't like the deck in general. It's not that twin isn't somewhat interactive it's just that the combo is boring to pull off and it's a deck with no board state.
>>
>>44430221
You might try Melira combo then. Plenty of board state to be had and the combo is more entertaining to execute than twin.
>>
File: what the fk.png (2 MB, 1919x1034) Image search: [Google]
what the fk.png
2 MB, 1919x1034
fuck me man
not even tier 2
>>
>>44430517
Good thing you censored your name or I would have hacked your account
>>
>>44430517
Man I want to build that Modern CoCo Naya Allies list that got some dude pretty far at that one tournament. Seems fun and I think Allies are just some of the coolest looking creatures.
>>
File: help me.png (925 KB, 1325x562) Image search: [Google]
help me.png
925 KB, 1325x562
Help me, help you, help me make this win Modern World Championship.
>>
Zoo is the most fun deck in modern
>>
>>44423123
It keeps topping so expect it to ascend meme status and become a legit deck post-OGW
>>
>>44429962
It depends on the rest of your hand. Play elf t1 on the play if you have another infecter or serum visions/sylvan scrying.
>>
>>44430940
Okay creature baby
>>
>>44426766
Fuck off modernnexus.
>>
>>44430773
Hey! This looks like what my friend and I play!
It sure is a fun fight for my festering newt combo deck :^)
>>
>>44431326
I fucking love creatures. They're way more fun then hurr durr I left blue mana open to counter your spell. Luckily there's few things that even counter creatures minus flashfreeze so I can just drop fat goyfs and Nacatls and beat down.
>>
File: Free Delver.png (50 KB, 1012x298) Image search: [Google]
Free Delver.png
50 KB, 1012x298
>>44425580
>>44426766
Here's my brew, with Disrupting Shoals and Snapback. I've blown out twin player countless times with Snapback, and Trickbind hits the leave the battlefield trigger on Arcbound, Twin, and Planewalker triggers, and Wurmcoil. The Planeswalker triggers have been especially important to give me time to kill a Akrn or Ugin instead of it wiping out my threats. For some reason tappedout paste hates my sb, so I'll just post it:
2 Echoing Truth
4 Blood Moon
4 Shattering Spree
2 Relic of Progenitus
3 Hibernation
>>
Manlands in Amulet Bloom, yay/nay?
>>
>>44431556
Go away MaRo
>>
>>44431556
>I love playing whatever I want with no consequence! Thinking is hard.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
Where does this deck rank in the spectrum of Modern competition / fun?
>>
>>44433725
Tier 2.5 and it ranks around 21 points out of 168 in the fun spectrum.
>>
>>44433725
>>44433725
If you want to play twin but hate the idea of having to interact with your opponents in any way whatsoever and also hate winning, this is the deck for you!
>>
>>44433337
Actually there is lines of play in Zoo and the deck is very fun to pilot. Stabilizing behind a herd of creatures is fun and you don't run out of gas as fast as burn nor are you as susceptible to hate as burn.
Also it doesn't take too much skill to flash in a deciever exarch and equip it with a splinter twin.
>>
>>44434040
Didn't say anything about twin but okay
>>
>>44424611
If it was t4 95% of the time, everyone would be playing it.
>>
File: image.jpg (193 KB, 446x311) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
193 KB, 446x311
>>44433782
>>44433872
40% of the time, it works every time.

:^)
>>
File: Image.jpg (17 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
17 KB, 223x310
>>44434470
Meet your worst nightmare Twin fag
>>
Is there any reason to splash green, other than goyf?
>>
>>44434583
That's not abrupt decay
>>
>tfw no good gruul cards
>>
>>44435334
Atarka's Command
>>
>>44435444
It's not that great. Kinda only good for burn
>>
>>44435187
Decay, Pulse, Scooze, Ravine and Wildwood to a leaser degree even if I personally really like it, Finks, Hierarch/Birds, Nacatl, Voice, CoCo, Chord, Pridemage, Loxodon, Knight of the Reliquary and sideboard shit like Baloth, Swagtusk, Feed the Clan, Grudge, Golgari Charm etc.

>>44435187
>>44435334
Huntmaster.
>>
File: Angry Decay.jpg (351 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
Angry Decay.jpg
351 KB, 480x680
>>44434583
>>44435187
THE FUCK ANON
>>
>>44435334
flinthoof boar

kird ape
>>
Is Twin fun to play?
>>
>>44436821
yes
>>
>>44436913
Is Burn fun to play?
>>
>>44436955
yes
>>
>>44436963
Is Zoo fun to play?
>>
>>44437016
yes
>>
>>44437022
So what decks aren't fun to play?
>>
Which decks absolutely rape twin?
>>
>>44437145
Jund
>>
Tormenting Voice or Browbeat?

I don't have another option.
>>
>>44437131
I actually just really enjoy playing magic
>>
>>44437633
that's fucking gross
>>
>>44437613
both are bad
>>
>>44437613
What deck?
>>
I really can't decide between building UR Twin or RG Zoo. I keep bouncing back and forth between each deck. Each one looks fun. The only thing deterring me from Zoo is that I already have Burn and am worried the playstyle will be too similar and I'll end up bored of both decks.
>>
>>44438828
Pls help me choose
>>
>>44439158
aggro loam
>>
Coming soon to UR decks everywhere.
>>
>>44439199
neat

it's either broken or useless, I can't tell which yet
>>
>>44439177
No I only want to play Twin or Zoo.
>>
>>44439222
restore balance
>>
>>44438828
Play Twin.
>>
>>44439221
It's absolutely broken. Lol bolt, serum, now you just drew a card then draw another then scry 2. With absolutely no mana investment outside of casting the creature.
>>
>>44439199
This will not see okay in modern. It does to bolt lol bolt meme and does nothing on its own. It's cute but I don't even like it as a commander.
>>
>>44439237
I honestly would but I enjoy winning.
>>44439246
Any reason why twin over zoo?
>>
>>44439274
T3:
>Jori
T4:
>serum visions
>response, bolt
>oh

once again, you might be right though, I am not good enough to tell
>>
>>44439302
>Any reason why twin over zoo?
I personally enjoy playing decks with "oops, I win" combos in them and I think it's a lot better in the meta, especially since Affinity runs rampant and Zoo seems a lot worse (I have never tested this matchup so don't take my word for it)
>>
>>44438828
Twins lots of fun, very competitive and will probably be tier one for a long time if not forever. Plus free wins with blood moon.
>>
>>44417222

Not sure what to take to GP Trials and to GP Melbourne. I'm split between playing Ad Nauseam and Elves. Elves gives me the better matchup against Affinity but Ad Nauseam gives me the better matchup against Twin decks especially Grixis Twin versions.

Or I guess I can always take Protean Hulk combo but I dunno.
>>
>>44439284

But it's a Merfolk AND a Wizard. UR MERFOLK TIME TO SHINE. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>44439397
Elves.
>>
>>44439397
>Elves gives me the better matchup against Affinity
As an affinity player I wish to face elf decks for the free win

The two decks have the same plan essentially and robots are just faster and have cheap board wipes
>>
>>44439397
I feel like elves have shit G1 against pretty much every T1 deck. Am I wrong?
>>
>>44439607
>>44439612

Game 1 as usual is the edge towards the Affinity player but usually Game 2 and Game 3 i've got an extra Rec Sage, Fracturing Gusts and Kataki so I've never had the problem with that. I'm aware most will side in Whipflare but that's also why Burrenton Forge Tender also exists in the sideboard. I have quite a few silver bullet answers to the removal needed that is fetchable up with Chord of Calling.

If I feel like they're playing lists with 4x Galvanic Blasts then I'll even throw in the Mark of Asylum(clunky but useful against almost all manner of red stuff and most are running Ancient Grudge here and not Wear/Tear in the side.) Nobody(at least in my area) is playing with Galvanic Blasts, they're mostly running Ghirapur in the side.
>>
>>44439711

>Nobody(at least in my area) is playing with Galvanic Blasts

I meant Shrapnel Blast here, not Galvanic.
>>
>>44439612

It's not too bad against RG Tron(which oddly enough nobody actually plays in my area). Personally speaking from my testing online if the RG Tron player keeps a hand with no red source and pyroclasms because they don't put you on an aggro deck and greedily want to resolve a turn 3 Karn, you'll beat them down fast enough with mana elves+archdruids+nettle sentinels. Exile an Elf? Sure don't care, swing at you for 8.

However I have been told that aggro matchups aren't usually a problem for RG Tron in game 1 so maybe i've been playing against bad players.
>>
>>44439612
Merfolk cannot beat Elves and it's somehow a tier 1 deck.
>>
>>44439414
Id fucking love to see it desu
>>
>>44437869

Oh.

>>44438300

It's a R/G that focuses on getting Ventmaw Savage out and using its attack to do MegaMorph or cast spells. That kinda thing. I don't have any copies of Sarkhan's Triumph so I figured some sort of card draw was in order.
>>
>tfw no scrying sheets expedition
>>
File: en_0t1o6eIuSL[1].png (151 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
en_0t1o6eIuSL[1].png
151 KB, 265x370
Is this just me or is this an absolutely fucking terrible card? Even in a thopter deck, I can't see it being anything besides utterly unplayable, yet I still see it every once in a while.

The card text is essentially; "Pay 6, destroy a land you control. Gain two 1/1 thopters" There has to be something better than this in every circumstance I can think of. Why would anyone play this?
>>
>>44440286

Only use for it is if you're playing with Crucible of Worlds.
>>
>>44440286
It's strong in standard. I have no idea what strategies this falls into in Modern.
>>
>>44440286

It's mostly draft fodder but i've played it in Vintage Workshops as a 1-of alongside Crucible of Worlds.
>>
>>44440286
It's great in MTG puzzlequest
>>
How is goryo not banned?
Dude just dropped a turn 3 Emrakul on me twice
>>
>>44440870

What were you playing?
>>
If my budget is around 800~

What would be a good deck for modern?

I see Bloom and Affinity around that range.Any other fun higher tier decks?
>>
>>44441117
I'd hold off on bloom until the bannings/unbannings announcement. I think people are speculating a couple key pieces of Bloom are gonna get hit
>>
File: 1440369418451.jpg (101 KB, 1024x749) Image search: [Google]
1440369418451.jpg
101 KB, 1024x749
>>44441133
Is it really good enough to be banned?

I've seen what it can do but it doesn't seem that consistent
>>
>>44441147
I have no clue. At the very least it's a combo I can see people fucking up regularly.

Still, everyone seems to think Amulet or Summer Bloom are gonna get hit.

I mean it's just the end of the month, so not too long a wait
>>
>>44441147
Has it even won a major tournament?
>>
>>44440286
Utility lands are really strong. R&D realizes this and now makes them cost exorbitantly large amounts resources because they're so scared of ever making a broken one.
>>
File: 57[1].jpg (63 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
57[1].jpg
63 KB, 312x445
Going back to an old deck I made, trying to make it work. The very first pack I ever opened had a Carnifex demon so I've always kind of had a thing for him. Here's what I'm working with so far:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-12-15-counters-everywhere/

In general, I'm trying to clear my enemy's board by using -1/-1 counters and hopefully have minions leftover to start getting at the opponent's health. With two Carnifex Demons up I can bounce counters between them indefinitely. Mikaeus is useful for as long as he lives, because any counters will remove my creatures' +1/+1 counters and allow them to get Undying again. Tatterkite is a good place to dump counters if Blowfly Infestation gets out of control.

A few of the cards are just kind of thrown in and I know seem of out place (Traveler's Amulet, Army of the Damned, Vile Rebirth). I'm trying to think of what to add/remove to make it more cohesive and I'm thinking more Wither cards. Are there any enchantments that give a creature "can't have counters placed on it"? I searched for that text and the only results were Tatterkite and some green card. Some specifics I'm looking at:
>Crumbling Ashes
>Dusk Urchins
>Incremental Blight (probably not)
>Midnight Banshee (maybe, high cost)
>Necroskitter (add more)
>Soul Snuffers
Any suggestions?
>>
>>44441320
This is the modern thread
>>
>>44441506
What do I have that isn't modern? Or are you saying the deck is shit for the format?
>>
>>44441672
It's kitchen table as fuck. I'm sure you can have fun with it, but it's in no way fit for mildly-competitive play.

I can't even tell what an ideal hand would be. I don't even know how you do anything in this deck.
>>
>>44441320

There are decks in Modern that don't even play creatures. Your entire deck strategy will be full of cards that are "dead in hand" against particular decks that are both tier 1 and tier 2(and for that matter tier 2.5 as well.) As fun as Carnifex Demon is he's competitively placed well in the format when there are decks that will win on turn 4 and turn 5 instantly and frequently with some decks winning sparingly on turn 3.

Despite all this I was actually not aware that Wretched Banquet existed. This is actually a very cheap useful card for dealing with Spellskite in my budget Mono B Infect deck. Vile Rebirth is also not a bad answer to hating on Goryo's Vengeance targets.
>>
>>44439348
>>44439321
Not gruul? Then die!
>>
>>44440286
Speaking of thopters, why does Pia and Kiran Nalaar see so much play? Four mana for three mediocre bodies that folds to Pyroclasm doesn't seem Modern playable.
>>
>>44441117
Affinity is a consistently good deck for slightly less than 800 dollars. Might get too linear too fast for some people though.

>>44441320
Your deck isn't modern competitive but I have a secret love for Carnifex Demon so I'm torn

>>44441948
When it takes forever to learn all the rules, no time is left for breaking them
>>
>>44442144
Good against Jund/Abzan/Grixis/Twin because it's hard to fully remove and provides value on the grinding game.

Good against Affinity because it blocks flyers and champions. Also allows you to snipe some important creatures.
>>
File: immolatingglare.jpg (36 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
immolatingglare.jpg
36 KB, 265x370
>>
>>44443067
this is good
>>
>>44443067
does a shitty paths 5-8 impression in white decks without black or red
so i guess that makes uw?
>>
>>44443101
It cant beat Steel Overseer and last hope blockers like Tasigur when low on life. It's not that good.
>>
>>44443258
Also can't beat Jace and creature combos like Twin combo and Anafenza combo. The attacking clause is relevant.
>>
>>44443067
really crappy most of the time
itll just be a dead draw
>>
>>44439963
You don't understand how the meta works do you..
>>
>>44444503
There is nothing wrong with what I said. Merfolk is tier 1 as evidenced by the image in the OP and it has a nigh unwinnable matchup against Elves. I played Merfolk for a long ass time and won just one game against Elves.
>>
>>44444503
Differentfag. Follow the context.

>what T1 decks can Elves beat g1
>Merfolk is T1 and loses to Elves
>YOU KNOW NOTHING OF METAGAMING
>>
>>44442144
I play a 2 of in skred where I now run hangarback walker and wurmcoil engine.
It helps pop a hangarback and can save a wurmcoil from a path to Exile as well as the obvious uses of bodies and shocks
>>
>>44444531
I guess you don't.

Let me explain for you.

The deck is tier 1 because it competes well with other tier 1 decks.

Elves isn't tier 1 because it doesn't have good matchups against most t1 decks.

In short.

If you brought elves to a major tournament, you'd get fucking destroyed but MIGHT just MAYBE score a win against Merfolk and let's say go 1-9.

You bring Merfolk to the same tournament and play the same decks. You'll probably go at least 5-5

Tiers are based on the decks as they compete against other popular decks in the meta.

Having a good match up against a single T1 deck doesn't mean you're T1.
>>
>>44444536
See
>>44444620

This is a simple concept in every competitive game.
>>
>>44444620
This fucking guy.

This isn't the point of the question. Guy is asking "among Affinity, Burn, Jund, Tron, UR Twin, Amulet Bloom, Merfolk and Infect, what does Elves have a strong game 1 win-rate".

The answer provided was "Merfolk".

And then you come in and say something completely unrelated to the question and answer.

You are actively making this thread worse. Any further reply will be ignored.
>>
File: 41160531_p0.png (453 KB, 900x1100) Image search: [Google]
41160531_p0.png
453 KB, 900x1100
>>44444632
>>44444620
Did you pass grade school because holy fuck I'm pretty sure my four year old cousin has better reading comprehension than you. The whole point of the post you replied to was that Merfolk was a tier 1 deck that can't beat the Elves.
>>
>>44444620
laughingwhores.jpg
>>
>>44444695
>>44444718
>>44444741

I guess I can't use logic here.

"Merfolk cannot beat Elves and it's somehow a tier 1 deck."

Is what I responded to.

If you don't understand the response, it sounds like more of a personal problem.
>>
>>44444695
>>44444718
>>44444741

He was replying to
>it's somehow a tier 1 deck

Wow you're all fucking idiots
>>
>>44444774
Please tell me you're pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>44444814
Merfolk is shit and I say this after playing the deck for a long ass time. I'd have friends watch me play and they said I played pretty much perfectly but my opponents just had much more impactful cards.
>>
>>44444843
Doesn't stop it from being T1.

Sorry
>>
>>44420192
#F4L
>>
>>44444862
No one said it wasn't tier 1 you fucking idiot. Stop being a pedantic retard.
>>
>>44444916
>it's somehow a tier 1 deck
>>
>>44427672
I wish, I cried for days when it got banned. :(
>>
>>44444959
>>it's...a tier 1 deck
>>
>>44441117
Merfolk is around 500ish if you want a fun high tier deck. If I am not mistaken Podless Melira is around 800, and Kiki-Chord is around 600. Both have many different lines of play and can be tuned to metas, and they always have an answer to be tutored.
>>
>>44417222

BtL Scapeshift, Tron, Ad Nauseam.

I like lands.
>>
File: Impulse.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Impulse.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
Reprint Impulse in a modern legal set
>>
>>44445850
no faggot
>>
reprint Innocent Blood or Dark Ritual
>>
File: 343_rosewater.jpg (14 KB, 200x305) Image search: [Google]
343_rosewater.jpg
14 KB, 200x305
>>44446407
Sorry but I decided mana acceleration isn't black anymore. Tough luck!
>>
>>44446528

And killing creatures for under 7 mana is not a part of black's color pie anymore. You see, black is patient, it doesn't need to kill creatures right now, it can wait and plan for blah blah blah blah.
>>
>>44441261

It's had numerous top 8 finishes and been deadly close to winning back at PT Fate Reforged.
>>
>>44445850

You have Anticipate. That's as best as you'll get.
>>
can any jund players tell me about their opening hands? how often do you get bolt and when you do get it, how likely are you to use it turn one or two?
>>
File: 157.jpg (86 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
157.jpg
86 KB, 312x445
Thought that this was a good board wipe card for red, but realized this hits everyone's creatures. What's a good alternative?
>>
>>44447746
Whipflare
>>
>>44447759
noob question:
does "each creature" mean both player's or just opponents?
>>
>>44447881
That's not even a rules question.
That's an English grammar question
>>
>>44447881
Both players in standard game.
All players in multiplayer game.
>>
>>44447898
okay so are there any cards that just target opponents creatures?
>>
>>44447746
"Board wipe" means "hits everyone's creatures." That's why they're fair. You can use pyroclasm, fallout, or anger of the gods. What deck is this for? We could make better suggestions if we knew your strategy.
>>
>>44447881
Spells that only hit opponents' creatures tend to be a lot more expensive. See disaster radius or volcanic vision
>>
>>44447935
flame wave
>>
>>44447993
>>44447996
cool thanks
>>44447947
just getting info on stuff, didn't know the cards mentioned even existed
>>
>>44448096
Just because they exist it doesn't mean you should use them.
If you're in a situation where you would play a board wipe you generally don't care that it would hit your own stuff as well. It's an emergency button.
In that sense, cheaper is generally better
>>
>>44446528
how about inn. blood then? should be fine right?
>>
File: 1451368868565_1.jpg (33 KB, 260x340) Image search: [Google]
1451368868565_1.jpg
33 KB, 260x340
So will anyone else be testing this in Twin. I'll be cutting Vendilion Cliques for him.
>>
File: 1399505487086.jpg (5 KB, 233x175) Image search: [Google]
1399505487086.jpg
5 KB, 233x175
>>44449430
In theory having this out may change the way you decide to do your Serum Visions scry
>>
>>44449570
And he's just a great source of card advantage. If he gets bolted that's fine cause that means they wasted a burn spell on killing a creature and have one less to kill me with. Also you can respond to the bolt with a counter or any other instant and get the card that way.
>>
>>44449430
What a shame there's nothing good with rebound. Only needing to cast 1 spell next turn would be handy.
>>
>>44449430
Oh fuck I just realised, this guy counts as your first spell that turn. You can drop him turn 3, then Gitaxian Probe and draw 2 cards.
>>
>>44440835
i thought i was alone.
>>
File: 1414364330253.png (7 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
1414364330253.png
7 KB, 250x242
>>44449960
This thing actually synergizes really well with Snapcaster.

Every Snapcaster flashback basically draws you a card with her out.
>>
>>44450191
Yes he does. You can drop him turn 4 after a serum visions turn 3 and then play an additional spell to grab the 2 cards you scryed.
>>
>>44450351
New staple confirmed pick up your playset from SCG now!
MaRo.jpg
But joking aside I'm picking a playset up the day OGW drops.
>>
>>44450386
>Cruise to draw 3
>Then Cruise to draw 4
>>
>>44450351
Snap Bolt in their end step also draws a card. This and Snapcaster really are homies.
>>
>>44450351
>>44450353
>>44450488
I'd like to shatter your bubble by reminding you that it's a legendary creature that costs 3 mana with 3 toughness
>>
>>44450528
When it resolves you receive priority to then cast Gitaxian Probe. There's literally nothing your opponent can do to stop you doing this. And half the time your opponent Bolting your board instead of your face is better for you anyway. If they don't have a Bolt this thing can win you the game.
>>
>>44450528
Yeah that's why you cast it turn 4 holding open a blue source for dispel then when and if they try to bolt it dispel it and draw a card.
>>
>>44450808
Doesn't twin want to just win on turn 4?
>>
>>44450852
Yeah but often times it doesn't. You may not have drawn the combo pieces or you may be in a hard fought battle of control in the mirror match. This guy helps give you enough card advantage to pull through , draw the combo pieces or more counters to survive burns onslaught and grind them down. I've seen Twin go to turn 6 and not win with the combo.
>>
>>44450939
So you just tap out rather than leaving mana up for Cryptic Command?
I'm not convinced.
>>
>>44450972
This guy replaces Vendilion Cliques perfectly because honestly Clique is pretty much the weakest card in the deck. And again you forget that you generally only run two commands so you may not have them in hand. This guy is good. He's not some insanely broken card but he's definitely good enough for modern.
>>
/tg/ really is bad at magic
>>
What about dominus of fealty?
>>
>>44451303
Fuck off faggot
>hurr durr they disagree with me on how good a new card may be so they must be bad
You're the worst kind of faggot
>>
>>44451631
>replacing Clique in twin

you really are a retard. The fact that I even have to explain why this is dumb showcases how fucking moronic you are. Please just stop playing competitive magic and go back to hearthstone.
>>
>>44451036
>This guy replaces Vendilion Cliques perfectly because honestly Clique is pretty much the weakest card in the deck.
That doesn't sound right. Of course, I'd have to test it first, but main phasing a 2/3 doesn't sound nearly as good as an EOT 3/1 flyer that additionally fucks your opponents hand.
>>
>>44451643
Fuck off and die faggot. You're probably the fag that always goes for the turn 4 combo and gets blown out by rending volley. :^) Back to playing stompy for you.
>>
>>44451722
You're literally 3 years old.
>>
>>44451783
And you're a faggot who talks like a 14 year old teenage girl. Quit using the word literally in your sentences and I'll quit treating you like a girl who's still in high school.
>>
>>44451845
You seem quite perturbed.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.