[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG: Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: gavony-township.jpg (63 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
gavony-township.jpg
63 KB, 480x680
Utility Lands edition.

What are your favorite utility lands?
>>
File: 14275.jpg (23 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
14275.jpg
23 KB, 200x285
Kher Keep
>>
File: 22_nicolbolas.jpg (108 KB, 620x427) Image search: [Google]
22_nicolbolas.jpg
108 KB, 620x427
Why haven't you pledged allegiance to our Lord and Savior Nicol Bolas?
>>
>>44397571
I love that whole cycle. Utility lands are neat as fuck.
>>
T1: Kher Keep
T2: Mountain, mana rock
T3: Smokestack
>>
File: 227.jpg (53 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
227.jpg
53 KB, 312x445
Far and away the best utility land in modern

excluding titan bloom lands because those are combo, not utility
>>
/tg/ my store is full of autists and I want to make a deck that triggers them

what do I play
>>
>>44398402
lantern control

they will laugh at you and say it isn't a real deck

and then after half an hour of sitting there unable to do anything they will say you got lucky and that they never drew their artifact hate
>>
>>44398389
Tec Edge/Ghost Quarter are better unless we're not counting those

GQ keeps you from getting killed out of nowhere by infect from a manland
>>
>>44398539
yeah I guess I didn't include strip mine effects, I would agree with you if I had remembered them
>>
>>44398539

Ya but sometimes infect runs protection (hexproof stuff).
>>
Where can I find Stoneman's ali page?

The one I bought from before was deleted.
>>
Savage Ventmaw's ability happens when you declare it an attacked, right? So you could use that mana to play spells before blockers are declared, correct?
>>
>>44399004
does it say that it gives you the mana when it attacks?

Do players get priority on attacks before blockers are declared?
>>
Why the fuck are goyfs so expensive?
>inb4 Poorfag

I'm serious, they don't even get put in half the decks in the formats. Snapcaster is jammed into more decks and even that card costs less.

Is it just because it was printed in future sight? Even 120 would be alright but as it is the price doesn't really seem to be justified
>>
>>44399153
It's the best beatstick and easily splashable. The majority of games end by attacking with creatures over a number of turns, and Tarmogoyf does that better than anyone.
>>
File: image.png (116 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
image.png
116 KB, 223x311
>>44398453
>Only if I let you draw your artifact hate :^)
Best response

Also if you like whacky lands, play bant knightfall.
Rogues passage, that protection from color land, wolfrun or any whacky X cost, the jank is limitless; you could even add some niche lands for the knight that don't wombo.

As for favorite, this bad boy in the sideboard of treasure hunt combo.

Swampyard is cool too but I think I've only won with Ripple4Rats like once ever
>>
Just went 2-1-1 at FNM with Splinter Twin, drawing with Jund to get into top 4 and losing to hatebears because apparently all the lightning bolts from my deck disappeared. Won against Merfolk and Mardu Tokens, both of which weren't too bad, had some really intense games in them so that was fun.

>>44399153
Price memory, printed at mythic, only in three sets, and the fact that they are actually an amazing card.
>>
>>44399153

MUH MARKET MEMORY
MUH LEGACY VALUE

Blame the legacy faggots.
>>
>>44399200
>>44399207
>>44399209
I really want to get them but I don't want them to drop for some reason and feel like an idiot for dropping near a grand on them
>>
>>44399230
I doubt they will ever be below 100 desu.
>>
>>44399142
Idk?
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 371x396) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 371x396
>>44399207
Okay someone please explain to me what the difference between hatebears and death'n'taxes is
Are they the same or what?
>>
>>44399243
Well I'm in Canada so as it is now is be spending nearly 180-200 a piece
>>
>>44399288
Oh jesus its not worth it then

>>44399287
Nearly the same desu, not super familiar with either in modern though so I might be wrong
>>
>>44399267
u r an noob

yes you get mana when you attack and there is an attack phase followed by a block phase, both players get priority on every phase and both players must pass priority on an empty stack before it goes to the next phase
>>
Vote boldwyr heavyweights for DnT
>>
>>44399346
Okay good, I've been calling the archtype DnT because of dem taxing effects but I wasn't sure if they were two different things
>>
>>44399370
that's some pretty cute tech
>>
Could Avatar of the resolute see play? It's a 3/2 for GG with reach and trample and a mediocre effect
>>
>>44399287
The simplest identifier is, does it play flickerwisp?
If yes, it's DnT
If no, It's hatebears
The differences are more intricate than that, but that's the most identifiable difference.
>>
>>44399287
I think DnT is mostly Monowhite, while hatebears is usually GW
>>
>>44399408
With a torpor orb or 2 in the sideboard it gets even more cute

10/10 tech mr. anon
>>
>>44399454
it already does

turns out the mediocre effect is really good when you play experiment one
>>
>>44399454
Green stompy maybe. THats about it

>>44399458
Yeah that makes sense
>>
>>44399454
Modern is always about the bolt test, unless it's mediocre ability can proc two counts on it, it'll just die.
>>
>>44399408
>>44399461
Thanks guys, I thought I would be ridiculed
>>
>>44399477
I think I'll make an MGA list with it just to see
>>44399486
that's true to an extent, people dont always bolt stuff all the time
>>
>>44399486
good thing it was only two mana and you are still beating down with everything else

if lightning bolt were banned MonoG Stompy would be T1
>>
>>44399458
What does the wisp do that makes the archtype different??
I've always thought of them as the same; shit out 2drop creatures with aethervial that all have restritive effects, and also path to exiles
>>
What deck do I play if I want my opponent to suffer?
>>
>>44399554
Lantern control is the obvious answer
>>
>>44399554
jacerator
>>
>>44399554
Also monoblue turns
>>
>>44399536
Wisp allows more flickering shenanigans ala blade splicer, mangara etc and getting value from your creatures. There's a lot of interactions you can do with it depending on your splashes too.
Believe it or not, DnT is more of a control deck that disrupts your opponents with various cheap creatures that inherently have abilities that annoy your opponent. Hate bears on the otherhand has a lighter disruption set + more beat down and gains most of its value from being reactive to what your opponents do which if why you see creatures such as voice of resurgence and loxodon smiter.
>>
>>44399554
lantern control
>>
>>44399288
It's a bad time to play magic in Canada. Stoneforges are $50 a pop.
>>
>>44397616
This. You don't realise it, but this thing holds off Tarmogoyf forever.
>>
>>44397571
this thing is a little past its prime. junk runs it but junk is a meta predator now, and podless runs it but that deck sucks

>>44398389
actual best utility land in modern not counting tec edge
>>
File: happy Asian clam man.jpg (80 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
happy Asian clam man.jpg
80 KB, 1920x1080
So recently I made a modern deck (my first one actually) and is there any way to test it out before I go out and buy the remaining cards I need? I don't know how strong it is. I'm not looking to win big invitationals but being able to have a positive win ratio would be great.
>>
>>44400148
Post it here and get slated for making a shit deck.
>>
>>44400148
Post a list and we can help
I like to run my decks against a really basic solitaire program just so I can get a lot of matches against all of the popular decks without having to go find people with those decks
>>
>>44400148
Post list
>>
>>44400183
>>44400215
>>44400216
2 Burnished Hart
4 Crypt Ghast
2 Dark Ritual
2 Diabolic Tutor
4 Explore
2 Exsanguinate
7 Forest
3 Giant Growth
2 Hornet Sting
2 Jungle Hollow
4 Liliana's Shade
2 Llanowar Elves
2 Murder
2 River Boa
3 Search for Tomorrow
12 Swamp
2 Tendrils of Corruption
2 Tragic Slip
3 Typhoid Rats
2 Doom Blade

The idea was mana ramp then "swamp breath" them to death.
>>
>>44400276
... This is hot garbage. Plus dark ritual is not modern legal.
>>
>>44400276
This is honestly awful and not even modern legal.
>>
>>44400276
>2 hornet sting
alright, now I know you're fucking with me. shame on you for making me read this seriously.
>>
>>44400329
>>44400359
Website I used said Ritual was was, my bad.

Pointers maybe?

>>44400360
I had those in for emergencies (green doesn't have any good burns)
>>
>>44400402
well if you're for real, the list has no focus. it looks like "play creatures and attack" which is a weak strategy. I know people say "oh I don't want to netdeck that's lame I want my snowflake deck" but honestly reading net lists and emulating them a bit is a good way to get into the game.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9414&d=253991&f=MO

mono green stompy is one of the cheapest decks in modern and it doesn't sweep any pro tours but it should put up a good fight at the local modern events.
>>
>>44400402
well if you're set on the G/B deck you might wanna play death cloud. http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Modern_Death_Cloud_Rock_deck
>>
>>44400276
Hey uh, no offence but this is for competitive modern. This really feels like its everywhere
>>
>>44400215
What solitaire program is this?
>>
>>44400470
>>44400477
>>44400490

I think I'll stick with EDH, at this point I've put all my effort into that and it makes the "most sense" to me.
>>
>>44400402
What emergencies are there that 4dismembers can't take care of? You should Google some primers for modern so you know what the format is like. You're deck is not competitive. It is casual. Get the casual shit outta here, modern is a competitive format.
>>
>>44400540
I use my money for EDH since I find the format to be much more fun than any 60 or 40 card I have ever played. I don't have the money to get super autismo for a format I don't really want to go pro in. I didn't realize this thread/format was competitive only.
>>
>>44400611
Its cool, EDH is fun on its own, when you have a good group at least. Who do you play?
>>
>>44400530
It's an expensive format I understand. If you play EDH long enough you'll pick up enough playables to get into modern. What are your commanders?
>>
>>44400611
I mean, replace the dark rituals and there's nothing stopping you from taking that list to a modern event and sitting down and playing, but the twin player is just going to combo you on turn 4 and move to game 2, the zoo player is going to burn you out and overpower you very quickly, the burn player literally doesn't care what you do, he's just going to burn face for 4-5 turns in a row, jund is going to over value and over power you like you wouldn't believe, even T2 decks will probably roll over you. living end waits for you to play a bunch of stuff and combos off, scapeshift just takes it easy and plays the control game until he can win because you don't have incredibly fast pressure, bogles makes a big guy faster than you can compete with, etc etc.

The list as it is now is just a tad pole is a pond full of sharks.
>>
>>44400626
I have a Jarad dredge, a Jhoira chaos, a Krenko goblins/orcs (land destruction orcs, burn/overrun goblins), Azami combo (still missing a Mind over Matter), Niv Mizzet firemind combo, and Rakdos spew-eldrazi-for-free-turn-5. I used to have an Oona combo deck (infinite exile all decks)
>>
>>44400747
I used to play Jhoira, fun shit. Currently building Zur Wizards and Xiahou Dun
>>
>>44400790
A friend of mine made a guy throw a chair at a tourney with her in chaos so I'm tempted to bring her once I finish de-proxying my deck.
>>
>>44400859
haha oh wow, another reminder of the type of manchildren who play mtg
>>
>>44400961
I'm sorry, I guess I should just run Azami and win all the time. Magic is serious business you know.
>>
>>44401028
What? I was referring to
>A friend of mine made a guy throw a chair at a tourney with her in chaos
The guy throwing the chair.
>>
>>44400859
LIST PLEASE! That shit is hilarious. I can imagine the neck beard who had a foiled out slivers deck doing that.
>>
>>44401042
Oh I thought you were saying I was a manchild for making a chaos deck

>>44401049
I'd give you a list but I haven't updated my online decklist in a long time (I got many of my cards from him when he was taking his version apart so our lists would be fairly similar).
>>
>>44400125
Is lighthouse worth it in oldschool U/R delver, or moreso for twin/grixis?
I really like a single utility land but I can't see myself having extra mana open to use the thing, and I need as many U sources as I can get. Worth or no?
Tell me how baller it is m/tg/
>>
Is it bad to cause a tie if you would lose otherwise?

I don't like when people scoop to spite others, because they are king making instead of trying to win, does that make me hypocritical?

My instinct is just that it's better to tie than to lose, but that's based on my experience in sports, perhaps in multiplayer it's not the right thing to do
>>
what do /tg/ think of tooth and nail? is it just a worse collected chord? I'm mildly interested in giving it a try since it seems a little budget and maybe not terrible depending on the match ups.
>>
>>44401315
In multiplayer its a social choice, in competitive yes 100%
>>
>>44401315
If you can cause a tie, do it. If you end up doing it like 3 times in a row though, people might get salty at your dirty soviet "dead hand" tactic. What combo are you doing to cause it if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>44401422

Well I don't have a combo specifically made to cause ties but this game earlier this evening, I was at only 7 life left and everybody else was at like 20-25

I had repercussion and no creatures and cast molten disaster killing everybody
>>
>>44401315
Not really, a tie doesn't count as a loss so it's good for you
Other players might hate you but if you didn't cause the tie by timing out, it's totally fine.
>>
>>44401474
That's baller as fuck desu. I'd be down with a tie if everyone got blasted to smithereens. Dat splitsecond kicker is gross too. They could have dealt with the repercussion, etc.
I thought you were talking about an infinite chain that loops until it fizzles the game out, which is dirty as fuck.
literally nuking the field and killing everyone is cool imho.
>>
>>44401542
infinite chains rarely work in tournament because they don't advance the board state or take too long
>>
>>44401199
Pretty baller. One of the reasons to play U/R. It is really efficient at filtering through your draws. It is a life saver in late grindy games. totally worth it despite it only producing colourless mana.
>>
>>44401315
If it doesn't look like I'm going to win I go for a draw. I don't see how it could come up that often desu,unless you're deliberating slow playing, which is against the rules.
>>
>>44399590
My motherfucking nigger
>>
>>44400148
get xmage. modern is pretty popular there and its great for playtesting
>>
When you declare Attackers, before Blockers are declared, you can flip a Face Down creature Up, and it "replaces" the attacking Face Down Morph creature, and any "When this creature gets turned face up, <blank happens>" effects happen before blockers are declared, right?
>>
>>44402270
Yes, if you flip a face down attacking creature face up before blockers are declared, any effects triggered resolve before blockers are declared
>>
>>44402301
*and it continues to be attacking
>>
So how great are Pee and Keele?

Such a value card.
>3 bodies
>2 have evasion
>1 can be bounced for value and shock targets late game

Honestly, I was bashing it awhile ago but I was wrong.
>>
What makes Legacy DnT so much better than Modern DnT?
>>
>>44402622

this isn't /tv/ but i'll bite

i really think their work with madtv was a lot funnier
>>
>>44402689
Lands and mom.
>>
>>44402910
Not to mention Stoneforge mystic and swords + batterskull core. And the fact that phyrexian revoker / Thalia etc. effects are stronger in legacy.
>>
I hate fun And winning.
>>
File: thoughtsieze.jpg (100 KB, 720x582) Image search: [Google]
thoughtsieze.jpg
100 KB, 720x582
Just opened a flooded strand expedition

Sell now or keep?
>>
>>44403090
>that treasure storm list
Come on broski, you gotta step your treasure hunt game up, my list is 10 times more baller at losing games.
Like the no manlands though, gotta go big or go home.
Want some suggestions or are you down with your list? Swear to fuck I can make it 4% better.
>>
>>44403190
I like this art but it doesn't make any sense in relation to the name
>>
>>44399153

Because you need 4 of them to play them at all, and they're a mythic in a premium set.

Granted, people drastically underestimate the supply of them and theres a definite meme value to them, but think of it like this: Starting at an OOP value of $150, the only way the price would drop is if for every 1 player that unpacks one and wants to start Jund/etc, 4 players unpack one and sell it. Likewise for every player not buying MM wanting to start running them, 5 of them would have to be unpacked and sold.

And thats only a downward trend in the price, not a market shock. The core reason is the understated demand and starvation, and unpacked Goyfs creating potential Jund players who then need 3 more.
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 299x269) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 299x269
>>44403192
Anyways here is some dank memes for starters:
+1 oboro palace in the clouds
+4 tolaria west
+4 cascade bluffs
+1-2 of your choice: scrying sheets, mikoro center of the sea, or desolate lighthouse. sheets if you're going for mouth of ronam (only thing that can deal with spellskite, other than that overcosted shitty bfz land that forces a sacrifice)
I like mikoro personally.

I don't personally think minamo is worth but there are very fringe situations where it might be okay, so +1 if you want that

Put the ghost quarters in the sb imho.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1600x900
>>44403381
Even though oboro is legendary it might be worth running 2, the card is just that good at squeezing out a victory treasure storm. That one dual land that gives you 1 life might also be cool.
Wish I still had my old list, I feel like I forgot something
>>
>>44403190
keep for a year, sell thenv
>>
What's the quickest and most reliable website to order singles from?
>>
The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

Best utility land ever.
>>
>>44403686
TcgPlayer (dot) com
>>
I got 103 sleeves in my Dragon Shield 100 ct pack.

Is this normal? Do they ever shaft people with 98~97?
>>
>>44402689
Effective mana denial to compliment mana taxing
>>
Should I build UR Twin or RG Zoo goyfs and guides?
I really can't decide. I have pieces for both and both decks appeal to me.
For Twin I love cantripping, knowing what I'm going to draw and the combo itself because it just wins right there. For Zoo I love having a large board state and just dropping fat goyfs and nacatls to swing in and build a wall of blockers.
>>
>>44403827
Nah usually they throw in an extra 3-5 just in case something happens

Nothing will happen.
>>
>>44401315
>I don't like when people scoop to spite others, because they are king making instead of trying to win

what?

Conceding is the POLITE thing to do, so long as you don't just get in a huff and pick up your cards without saying anything
>>
>>44398539
No decent infect player is activating their inkmoth into a gq without holding protection.
>>
>>44399554
Do you want your deck to be able to win? If yes, lantern. If no, 8rack.
>>
File: 157[1].jpg (80 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
157[1].jpg
80 KB, 312x445
>>44402729
He's referring to this, dummy.
>>
Thoughts on this? It's budget Mardu Tempo (basically, I can't afford fetches right now) and I've been tweaking it. Advice/opinions much appreciated.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-12-15-mardu-tempo/
>>
>>44403686
If say starcity, but they're not as cheap.
>>
>>44405443
>/tg/ too autistic to get jokes
Not surprised
>>
>>44405452
It's decent for super-budget, but adding $60 in shocklands cutting the painlands will make it a LOT more consistent for you. You also want at least one basic swamp just in case.

No crackling doom and no lightning helix makes me wonder if you just forgot about them, because they're super value.
>>
I play this in Magic Duels , would it be playable in real games?

1 Sigiled Starfish
1 Displacement Wave
1 Reave Soul
2 Guardians of Meletis
2 Jorubai Murk Lurker
2 Frost Lynx
1 Graveblade Marauder
2 Fleshbag Marauder
2 Sphinx's Tutelage
1 Retreat to Hagra
1 Calculated Dismissal
2 Read the Bones
3 Darkslick Drake
3 Inspiration
3 Countermand
1 Talent of the Telepath
2 Languish
1 Disciple of the Ring
2 Flesh to Dust
2 Necromantic Summons
1 Kothophed, Soul Hoarder
1 Alhammarret, High Arbiter
10 Island
8 Swamp
1 Sunken Hollow
2 Drowned Catacomb
3 Dimir Guildgate
>>
>>44405481
in one word? no.

in more words, fuck no, there's zero consistency or logic in the gameplan, and the mass of 1-ofs means you'll rarely draw the card you need when you need it.
>>
>>44401199
You're playing blue and red so your best spells are instant speed anyway.
>>
>>44405395
Sad but true
>>
>>44405395
>tfw when playing RUG Loam against an 8rack player
>His utter despair when it's actually impossible for him to make my hand small
>His prolapsed anus when he Surgically Extracts my Loam only for me to Thought Scour in response and dredge it back to hand

Gotta love accidentally hard countering decks.
>>
>>44399590
>Notion Thief + Jace Beleren

YES.
>>
>>44405646
I played your deck like 4 rounds on xmage last night. It was p fun. Only loss was against grixis control and he had really early tasigurs in two games. It was just too much for me to shock away.
>>
>>44405703
Yeah I've since upped the Roast count and lost a couple Bolts. You gotta admit, it feels a lot more viable than most brews.
>>
>"Burn's matchup against Twin is 50-50"
>play Twin
>unless I am lucky enough to draw Deceiver Exarch + Splinter Twin in the first 5-6 turns, I lose
>if it's Pestermite it dies to the emergency Lightning Bolt
>Cryptic Command is slow as balls
>Remand is miserable
>not enough Lightning Bolts to deal with the early creatures (Guide, Swiftspear, Nacatl, Eidolon)
>playing against Burn g1 blind means I can't mull for a hand that will let me survive
>two mainboard Dispel are very good against Atarka's Command and Boros Charm, but feel like shit when the opponent has creatures on T1 and T2
>sideboard plan is 2 Grim Lavamancer, although he oftens requires an untapped shockland because I need to stop the creatures early and need blue mana for the deck to work
>1 Negate is good but same problem as Dispel (the creatures are rough)
>2 Anger of the Gods are painfully slow and mean the creatures usually managed to put me down to burn range
>1 Engineered Explosives is the same as Anger of the Gods in the matchup, except it might miss Eidolon. T1 is pretty good though.

What am I missing here, the matchup feels crazy hard and only gets worse post-board where I see stupid shit like Revelry Path Volley.
>>
>>44404329
Can you not just build both if you have the pieces for both? Anyways UR twin is well positioned right now because Affinity is so popular. Goyfbeats are a lot of fun though.
>>
>>44401315
I once played against a real try hard faggot in a modern 'tournament' (free entry, only prize was first place, roughly 64 players) and we went to game three. Time was called and we went to turns, I was in a losing position and probably would have lost by turn 9-10 but he wouldn't be able to kill me in the 5 turns available to him.

Faggot basically pressures me to concede saying things like "it's not like you're going to win anyway" and overall just acting like a huge cunt. I did eventually concede because I felt that it if he wanted to win badly enough to be an unsportsmanlike prick he could have it. I immediately regretted the decision and now if an identical situation crops up I'm playing to the tie. If you can't win you don't deserve a win.
>>
>>44405480
I put in Terminate over Helix because it deals with more threats at an equivalent level of efficiency. I'm not sure what else I'd cut for it. As for Crackling Doom, I'd love to have it, but I'm just not sure where to slot it in. Painful Truths is in its spot.
>>
>>44402622
It's a good card but its price is never going to be more than like 5$
>>
>>44399230
Chinamen sell em for like 2 bucks each one
>>
>>44399287
Death and taxes kills your lands, wants to tax your spells with mana and repeat etb effects with flickerswisp

Hatebears just play cards that punish the other player for playing theirs, example: loxodon smiter is hate against liliana of the veil and voice against counters-removal
>>
>>44405985
Smiter is an uncounterable 4/4 for 3 with a god damn upside.
>>
>>44405220
That's exactly what some salty neckbeards do though
>>
>>44400001
>pay two mana every turn to stop their two mana play
i'm sure it's worth.
>>
>>44399153
Goyf sees more play in legacy and is slightly less played than snapcaster in modern.
>>
>>44399153
>>44406422
Also, snap is way less played in legacy than goyf is
>>
>>44406343
He meant every turn until you find removal for it
>>
>>44405895
For crackling doom, I'd consider cutting Abbot. Yes he's cool but you need a way to go over the top - he ain't it.
>>
anyone have a list for that UB eldrazi deck?
>>
>>44405962
I don't know how to get them
>>
>>44406422
Are you sure? MTGTop8 lists Goyf as having a slightly higher play rate in Modern.
>>
>>44405757
I meant I have several pieces here and there. I'd still have to put about $800 into each. Is Gruul Zoo well positioned right now? its pretty much the same list that won the SCG open.
>>
>>44406928
It's tier 2 but it still does pretty well
Twin is a better bet though
>>
Has anyone seen that metalcraft storm deck? Seems kinda funny
>>
>>44406520
I'm wary of axing one of only two sources of card advantage in the deck. Maybe I can clear out some room in the sideboard for a couple of copies.
>>
Is Emeria a meme deck?
It's fun to play for extra opponent tears but it gets demolished by combo like scapeshift and uw control is probably a better choice I guess.
Also the games drag on for so long that I tend to finish rounds with only one game in the bag, unless the opponent scoops it up early.
I once played a full 50-minute game against Esper control and we ended up 0-0
I also have Grixis delver but I already play aggro in standard and playing banana shaman turn 2 seems super gay and I'm not a homosexual.
>>
>>44407074
>Is Emeria a meme deck?
Yes
>>
>>44407074
almost as meme as norin sisters
>>
>>44403190

That expedition Flooded Strand can get you a whole pile of staples if you need it, including fetches.
>>
File: Kobolds_of_Kher_Keep.jpg (198 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
Kobolds_of_Kher_Keep.jpg
198 KB, 480x680
>>44397616
Gotta love these little bastards
>>
>>44407150
thats some sick art
>>
>>44407181
Doesn't beat the original
>>
>>44407181
I love it, look at that mean little cunt. His pappy was a kobold of kher keep, his grandpappy was a kobold of kher keep and his grandpappy's grandpappy was a kobold of kher keep. And he too is going to be a kobold of kher keep come hell or high high water.
>>
>>44407021
If you want card advantage, night's whisper is a good budget option. Phyrexian Arena and Dark Confidant do it better, but for the money it works.

You also have to keep in mind that the huge creature count dilutes the ability to have YP shit out tokens all day. The way you win is by gaining incremental advantage by tacking on "make a 1/1 elemental" to every spell you cast.
>>
>>44405743
From my experience is say burn is better positioned against twin than 50/50. It's probably closer to 60/40 for burn. Twin is good at slowing down the game about 4-5 turns where you should be able to draw your combo. Spellskite is a great card against burn. Also try pyroclasm instead of anger.
>>
>>44405769
This. Don't get bullied into letting assholes win. I've had more problems with people trying to rush me through their triggers when I have effects.
>>
>>44407008
I play it, but not often

it does lead to the classic storm solitaire scenario, except half the time you aren't sure if you are going to get there
>>
>>44400276

You don't have enough lands, you're using 21 and need to be using 24 as a rough guide. (40% of deck base. 10% is 6. 6 x 4.)

You're using lands which come into play tapped. I don't know why.

None of this works or interacts. Doom Blade is for side boarding.

Dark Ritual is not modern legal.
>>
>>44407925
What were you running? It seems pretty good because it has a lot of different win conditions and monastery mentor and myth realized create some cool interactions
>>
>>44408021
>he runs 24 lands
>in MODERN
EL OH EL
>>
>>44405898
If anything, the intro pack/pre release version will be worth enough to sell without shipping loosing you money.

The alt art version already is 11 Euro on mkm right now, god knows why.
>>
>>44408066
yeah and a foil blighted agent is 250 dollars but that doesnt make any sense either
>>
File: 1409436149415.png (319 KB, 315x448) Image search: [Google]
1409436149415.png
319 KB, 315x448
Fuck Splinter Twin.
Unban SFM and BBE.
Ban Blood Moon.
Amulet is a fair deck.
Canadian Highlander is the tits.
>>
>>44408043
My final build is with mentors, but I haven't got around to actually buying them.

The easiest and most reliable win even with mentors and myth realized and glint hawk beatdown is grapeshot for a billion

It basically comes down to if you get 1 puresteel out and have untapped lands you have a pretty decent shot at finding the retract or whatever, and if you have 2 puresteels out, and none of them get bolted, you are pretty much guarunteed to win
>>
>>44408208
The builds I've seen don't run glint hawk and I can see why, it just doesn't really help you that much as opposed to more cantrips or something like echoing truth
>>
>>44408167
>this whole post
Hahahahahahaha
>>
>>44408247
Yeah I only run it as a 1 or 2 of because it can chump the aggro decks in my meta and if you are going off, it isn't the end of the world to pay W and pick up and put down another equipment
>>
>people forcing CBx Eldrazi in Modern
>it's popular on MTGO because it's cheap and people want to try it. Lots of CBx Eldrazi mirrors over there despite being a weak deck
>people think it's the real deal when it's Tier 3 at best

Sure, it's a new strategy, but you are working so hard just to make decent cards work. You aren't doing shit against most of the field.

Wasteland Strangler is not very good on its own.
Blight Herder requires a lot of support (two exiled cards AND compatible mana).
Oblivion Sower is alright but it's even slower than Blight Herder.
Ulamog just wins but it's so much better in a Tron deck.

What people should be doing is find ways to break Tron. It's very close to becoming a format pillar instead of just a meta deck (anti-Jund).
>>
File: ss (2015-12-27 at 07.51.13).jpg (70 KB, 607x349) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-12-27 at 07.51.13).jpg
70 KB, 607x349
>>44408098
For Americucks maybe
>>
>>44408381
post list
>>
>>44408388
new kozilek is going to be great in tron, all of the tron players i know are creaming themselves over it
>>
>>44408445
What bothers me with Kozilek is... why use it over Ulamog? Double exile on cast is pretty dangerous, Indestructible is relevant and the mill effect is actually a big deal (guarantees a two turn clock even if blocked).

What's a list your Tronfriends have in mind?
>>
File: cheeri0s.png (18 KB, 823x254) Image search: [Google]
cheeri0s.png
18 KB, 823x254
>>44408425
>>
>>44408395
Seems to be a case of extremely low supply and thus a few sales going out of control. Or some dickbag bought any copy online, because so far I've only found them on tcg player.

Pi'n'Ki seem to be in a similiar situation because no one buys the intro packs, and there might be some people that consider them for play in modern.
Heck, you can get the sealed deck for less the card on it's own because some sellers didn't bother cheking this.
>>
>>44408494
I don't know what they'd replace it with but they'd use it for the card draw. It's not to replace Ulamog, it's just to draw a ton of cards. Ulamog isn't always the best way to deal with threats is what they were saying and they said they might use it in sideboard. Plus it's a little cheaper and can be played a turn earlier if you get another tower
>>
>>44408388
>>44408445

>Tron not a format pillar
>A fatty that does nothing is amazing in Tron

tg pls
>>
>>44408445
You know morons. The OG Kozilek is legal for Tron, and significantly better in basically every way.
>>
>>44408167
I'm ok with this.
Except blood moon and BBE.
>>
Should I make a mana clash deck and bring it to FNM?

I feel like some people might get upset
>>
File: 1449890233908.jpg (58 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
1449890233908.jpg
58 KB, 200x285
Give the best grave-hate on a stick creature that's in Junk colors, 3 cmc and under.

Ooze is the obvious answer but I found that it's a bit too slow some times. Currently testing Loaming Shaman, oldschool style.
>>
>>44409101
yixlid
>>
Why did Innistrad have so many different land types?
>>
>>44409169
I really like that card in theory but it doesn't even stop snapcaster

>>44409181
what
>>
>>44409192
is flashback not an ability or is it considered a keyword
>>
>>44408565
Tron is a good deck but I wouldn't call it a format pillar. It's just not good enough. It's not tier 1 in my opinion it's just barely weaker then the other top decks.
>>
>>44409235
Its just that Snapcaster give the cards that lost all abilities flashback. It would stop things like Think Twice that already have flashback but if Snaps came in after all cards lost abilities he could still give things flashback.
>>
>>44409032
just sideboard one into burn. Who gets salty at coinflips? They're balanced for a reason. Even with thumb it's less than 2 bolts on average, and to get two thumbs up it's basically a combo.
>>
>>44409258
isnt it a continous ability? if it gains an ability doesnt it just lose it? i just cant find any ruking on this
>>
>>44409310
According to the layering rules put in place for asshats who like to break the game with combos like Humility and Opalescence, the card keeps flashback until something else removes it.
>>
>>44409310
Its about what came in at which time. Heres the best description I found

This is not an example of "can" vs. "can't." Neither effect says something can happen nor that something can't happen. One effect grants an ability, the other removes abilities. It just comes down to timestamps in this case. If the Yixlid Jailer is already on the battlefield with the Snapcaster Mage's ability resolves, the targeted card will have flashback. If the Yixlid Jailer enters the battlefield after Snapcaster Mage's ability resolves, the Jailer's effect will remove the flashback granted by the Mage.

To expand a bit: There is no practical way for them to make this happen. If a player drops a Snapcaster and understands timing, Jailer cannot realistically prevent them from flashing back the desired spell.

Scenario 1: It is your turn, and you resolve Snapcaster. If they respond to Snapcaster's ETB trigger, Jailer will resolve, then Snapcaster's ability. As Clariax explained, the triggered ability will have a later timestamp, and carry through in spite of Jailer. Alternately, if they wait for the ability to resolve, the stack will clear and you will gain priority. At this point, you can cast the spell (even if it is a sorcery) and it is too late for Jailer.

Scenario 2: It is your opponent's turn, and you resolve Snapcaster. They cannot respond to the ETB trigger, for the same reason presented earlier. If they wait for the trigger to resolve, then cast Jailer, you can simply flash back the targeted spell in response. The spell in question is presumably an instant (or you have Teferi/Vedalken Orrery/etc out), since you cannot typically cast sorceries in the opponent's turn.

I can't offhand think of a way for Jailer to stop you (unless you make a mistake that creates an window for the opponent to exploit).
>>
>>44409310
LAYERS
A
Y
E
R
S
>>
>>44408593
RG Tron player here. Lets compare the two shall we?

OG Truth Butcher
+draw 4 on cast
+grave shuffle clause
+annihilator 4
-dies to removal
-no immediate impact on the board

Great Distortion
+draws into a full grip
+semi evasive
+protects itself (in RG tron, 1 and 2 drop removal is very likely forfeit. Liliana might even catch an o-stone)
-no impact on the board
-still vulnerable to removal when it comes right down to it (wraths/ deathtouch/ failing to draw the correct cmc spell for his ability)

Dunno about you but the new Kozilek doesn't seem all that bad. If it weren't that Newlamog blows him out of the water, I would consider running it. Might be just what U tron is looking for though. Any U Tron players wanna sound off and let me know what your assessment is?
>>
>>44409236
>just barely weaker then the other top decks
Sounds pretty good to me. Especially when Tron eats a selection of those "top decks" alive.
>>
>>44409458
>Any U Tron players wanna sound off and let me know what your assessment is?
I think he does everything U Tron wants to do as a deck, and I am definitely going to try him out, but I doubt he will make any huge changes to the deck in terms of powerlevel
>>
>>44408167
Alex go home, you are drunk.
>>
>>44409355
Maybe if they play snapcaster on their turn, target flashback a sorc speed card (but doesn't use it yet, idk they're saving it for their 2nd main phase or something) and you aethervial him in. Then they're stuck with an unusable flashbackable sorcery.
Idk thats so silly though, gosh dangit
>>
File: T.png (75 KB, 668x432) Image search: [Google]
T.png
75 KB, 668x432
>>44409236

>Played more than the next 3 control decks
>Not T1
>>
>>44409922
>eldrazi control

get those mtgo results outta there
>>
>>44409935
Are you saying MTGO is the only place where fun is allowed
>>
File: Magic-Duels-Origins[1].jpg (108 KB, 932x466) Image search: [Google]
Magic-Duels-Origins[1].jpg
108 KB, 932x466
Have they announced any plans to add more than just 2 sets on this? Why not just add as much as possible?
>>
>>44409990
yes
>>
>>44409997
Literally who cares, it's the most dumbed down Duels ever made and a borefest
>>
>>44409626
Yeah its a cool card but near useless unfortunately. RIP is just better
>>
File: gaysexwith hatson.png (114 KB, 975x531) Image search: [Google]
gaysexwith hatson.png
114 KB, 975x531
>>44409935
Paper.
>>
>>44410104
grafdiggers also works too
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-27+at+03.55.08).png (18 KB, 644x491) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-27+at+03.55.08).png
18 KB, 644x491
>>44409236
It is tier one, its a pretty good deck.
>>
>>44410135
post the most recent list
this is old but tron is still in the top in the new one, unless this is the newest one and im an idiot
>>
>>44410176
This is literally the newest list. Tron is here, right between UR Twin and Bloom
>>
File: 1389645601915.jpg (707 KB, 1222x1212) Image search: [Google]
1389645601915.jpg
707 KB, 1222x1212
>>44409999
>>
>>44410111
that's more like it
>>
>>44410207
when was the list with only 6 decks in tier 1? im just surprised that merfolk and infect are t1 now
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 223x310
>>44409997
Because Wizards can't have that be a superior play experience at a fraction of the cost of MTGO. It just wouldn't be good for business, you see.
>>
>>44409192
Innistrad cycle had a lot of non-standard lands that had weird color-mixing effects. Why was that?
>>
>>44410399
Like, Kessig Wolf Run and Alchemist's Refuge? Iunno to be honest, I guess they just thought it was time for neat lands like that.
>>
>>44410104
It's a killer against dredge, but that isn't a real deck
>>
>>44410872
We have someone at our lgs who plays Dredgevine and its actually not a bad deck. He runs lightning bolts so its still not super hot.But against more traditional dredge I suppose you're right
>>
>>44410135
where are these lists from?
>>
>>44410891
Yeah, Yixlid Jailer is really just a vintage card. RIP is usually the best graveyard sweeper in general. Deathrite does a good job hosing snapcaster in eternal formats.
>>
>>44410992
http://modernnexus.com/
>>
File: image.jpg (7 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
7 KB, 320x180
>>44410891
On a whim I bought 4 black leylines... then I found out about tormods crypt and the like :(
Is it still worth? Got it for living end hate.
I'm trying to justify it, it goes around ingot chewer and stops enough stuff that if they turn it into a 3/3 beast I'm okay with that, but I still feel like I goof'd by buying em.
>
Anyways, /tg/ pls list ur favorite gravehate
>>
>>44411054
LotV is a great card, what are you so disappointed about
>>
>>44411054
I mean its not a bad card to have, the problem is that its hard to justify taking up four sideboard slots for something so specific. You can justify it with sanctity because it hoses a lot of decks, while void only gets graveyard based decks, which isn't a lot.

Anyways my favorite gravehate card is Grafdigger's Cage because its super flavorful and stops Snapcaster and Collected Company
>>
File: 1451092074549.jpg (14 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
1451092074549.jpg
14 KB, 200x285
Posted this list in the last thread but didn't get too much feedback. Feedback and recommendations to the list would be awesome.

4 Wooded Foothills
4 Arid Mesas
3 Stomping Ground
2 Sacred Foundry
3 Cooperline Gorge
2 Forest
2 Mountain

4 Goblin Guide
4 Wild Nacatl
4 Kird Ape
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Flinthoof Boar
4 Ghor Clan Rampager

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Atarkas Command
2 Searing Blaze
2 Tarfire
>>
>>44411054
Leyline can be an interesting roll player in a bridge from below deck, and will always be playable in vintage.

Nihil spellbomb is my favorite maindeckable hate, rest in peace is the most versatile and ravenous trap is the most tricky
>>
>people saying Tron is a format pillar because it is Tier 1

Ah, I remember the time Twin stopped being a pillar last month and when Infect became an occasional pillar.

That's how fucking stupid you sound. Tron is not a pillar yet.
>>
>>44411145
I don't know if tarfire is worth it to pump goyf, but it is interesting.
>>
File: 13.jpg (76 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
76 KB, 312x445
>>44411145
How about this guy instead of Boar
>>
>>44411212
Totally worth imho, it's basically a shock, which is bolt 5-6. Shock gets a bad rep since burst lightning exists, but you'll never use the kicker and it kills what you need it to; mana weenies, goblin guides, monks, glistener elf. I've won vs expensive jund as burn with 2 shocks, and I've won the matchup many times with it too. Rarely will it muck up your gameplan, and the versitility is better than lavaspike in that guys creature heavy list
>>
>>44411340
Not OP but I like throctar. He's cute as fuck. I forget the name but replacing boar with those RG 2/2 that refund their cost might be cool, they add a lot of speed to gruul decks.
A single hooting mandrils might be dope too since you run a fair amount of fetch lands, burn spells and expendable 1drops.
>>
>>44411523
Oh shit OP here. The list you're looking atis supposed to have a playset of Burning Tree Emissary. As the list that's in the post is only 56 cards. So yes there is a playset of those in the list sorry.
>>
so what are the odds of become immense being banned to stop infect? infect seems like its on the cusp of the banhammer
>>
>>44411670
what
>>
>>44411670
Infect doesn't need stopping
>>
>>44411602
Oh ok!
Anyways as much as I love boars I think they're the weak link in the list, and could be replaced by something more meta.
1 or 2 mishras bauble is also sweet for pumping goyf (only downside is if you topdeck it)

although this might sound weird maybe an eidolon or 2 for the enchantment part of goyf, but thats pretty whacky so idk.

If you do get baubles you can lower the land count to 19 since they're sorta free slots.
So imho
-4 boar
+4 something

Maybe +1 hootingmonkey, +4 bauble, -1 land
>>
>>44411340
OP here. Thoctar looks like a solid beater. I'd have to test him in Boars place. They both have pros and cons.
Pros of boar
>easier mana requirement
>can be cast for 2 mana or 3 giving some flexibility
>haste
-dies to bolt
Pros of Thoctar
>much bigger
>doesn't die to bolt
-restrictive mana requirements and no haste
>>
>>44411602
holy man can't believe I missed become immense, fuck that hootinmonkey shit add one of those!!!

Baubles are kinda gimmicky for their price, and without tswiftspear they're half as good, so maybe
-4 boar
+1-2 delve cards of your choice
+2-3 badass creatures
>>
>>44411670
The card lightning bolt exists so infect will never be tier 1
>>
>>44411815
You must be 18 years old or older to post here.
>>
>>44411866
You must be clinically depressed.
I've been here since you were still getting rides from your mommy a month ago
>>
i got a timespiral goyf in 9/10 conditions.

how many € can i sell it for at a local shop?
>>
>>44412065
Don't sell it locally, they will lowball you
Put it on ebay
>>
>>44411802
On second thought the boars aren't half bad, I'm used to that lion that was in theros block but the haste is probably more relevant than the monsterous so you're valid in having them in.
They just look so dinky compared to goyf, 3/3 for 2 is great though.

I'd run 2-3 boars and a become immense, and maybe consider a single wolly or even a loxodon smiter if your meta has lots of black/blue. Then again, your plan seems to be "go wide" so maybe 3 boars is better than a 3cmc.
I highly recommend one delve card though, they're powerful in standard gruul and OP in modern.
>>
>>44412093
doesn't ebay take like a big share of it?i never used so i would have 0% reliability. also i am supposed to package it super safely, right?
>>
>>44412125
10% paypal fee

Try finding a local Facebook page and sell at TCG Low. That's the easiest and safest way.

eBay always sides with the buyer so it's sketch with expensive cards
>>
Zoo will be tier 1 one day. Wizards just needs to print one more hyper efficient creature and with the way things have been going (Rhino) that's not too much of a stretch.
>>
>>44412517
Naya Zoo is already tier 1. Just replace some of the worse creatures with Lava Spikes and Rift Bolts.
>>
>>44412517
>needs to print one more hyper efficient creature and with the way things have been going (Rhino) that's not too much of a stretch.
They aren't really pushing creatures below 3-4 cmc. If something is getting better over time with this new design focus that's midrange, not creature based aggro.
>>
>>44412570
Well I'm pretty much copying the list that won the Star City games competition a month or two back. TCC did a giveaway of the deck. That list had even less burn only 8 slots (Bolt and A Command) and it still won. I think Zoo does better late game as their gas doesn't run out nearly as quick.
>>
What's the best Tron list out there? I think I have almost everything I need for it.
>>
Bit the bullet on BW Eldrazi.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-wb-eldrazi#paper

I've been watching people play the deck on streams and have done some playtesting on XMage.
>>
>>44412783
>Missing the chance to go T2 Tidehollow Sculler, T3 Wasteland Strangler

Nigger, NO.
>>
>>44412874
If you're lucky, T1 RoP (activate), T2 Wasteland Strangler.
Or:
T1 discard/relic, T2 relic draw, T3 Wasteland Strangler.
Or: T1 PtE, T2 Wasteland Strangler.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.