[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MtG: Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: 248.jpg (76 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
248.jpg
76 KB, 312x445
Fetchland Edition

What fetchlands do you own?
What fetchlands do you plan on purchasing?
>>
Why doesn't Tezzeret's Gambit see any play?

Drawing 2 cards for 3 generic mana seems decent and proliferate can be useful for planeswalkers or some shit.
>>
>>44384822
What the fuck is this shit.
>>
>>44384830
A question?

>If it isn't in a tier 1 deck it can't be good
>>
>>44384578
50 blue KTK fetches on MTGO, will be getting 50-100 more.
>>
>>44384822
>Drawing 2 cards for 3 generic mana seems decent
Oh boy, I knew card draw was getting castrated in Modern, but I never imagined it would be this bad.
>>
I have a full playset of shocks and fetches just in case WOTC decide to stop being shit eating faggots and make the game decent instead of fucking everything up.

So I'm pretty much never playing ever again.
>>
>>44384578
pulled a Wooded Foothills and Windswept Heath a month ago.

Finally caved and bought a playset of Flooded Strands for $64 and 3 more Foothills for $51. Probably will dive back in to finish the set of Heaths and stop there.

Probably gonna build Swan Skred for fun and maybe Bring to Light Kiki on the side.
>>
File: 249(1).jpg (74 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
249(1).jpg
74 KB, 312x445
Check out this dank deck

4 Goblin Guides
4 Kird Ape
4 Wild Nacatl
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Burning Tree Emissary
4 Flinthoof Boar
4 Ghor Clan Rampager
2 Obstinate Baloth

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Atarkas Command
2 Rancor

4 Wooded Foothills
4 Arid Mesa
3 Stomping Ground
2 Sacred Foundry
3 Copperline Gorge
2 Forest
2 Mountain
>>
>>44384940
>Swan Skred
I hope you enjoy losing
>>
>>44385031
>Skred in general
You'd have to love losing to even consider building the deck
>>
>>44384940
Why would you spend so much money on fetches to build bad decks?
>>
>>44384578
I have a round 15 fetches of various type, half of them are jp ones.
Planned to just keep buying ktk boosters to crack until the store ran out of it, for the fetches and because i love cracking boosters.
>>
>>44384578
What fetchlands do you own?
ALL OF THEM
What fetchlands do you plan on purchasing?
NONE
>>
>>44385107
winning isn't fun
>>
>>44384871
>getting
>card from New Phyrexia

Confirmed noob
>>
>>44384940
Get polluted deltas. Those will be worth the most one day.
>>
>>44385218
I literally can't decipher what you are calling him a noob over
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-12-15-rg-scapeshift/

Been working on a RG-scapeshift list.
I really like the extra pressure that primetime adds. What do you anon's think?
>>
I own the all fetches that aren't white, excluding windswept heath. I might buy flooded strained, but eh. It'll depend if Stone forge will get unbanned.

What do you people suggest: dispel or spell pierce in infect? I am siding on the spell pierce side myself, but would love some opinions,
>>
>>44385303
Why is Crumble to dust mainboard? Personally I prefer the RUG shapeshift, but in general I don't think the deck is well positioned right now. I saw LSV play the deck and it just lost to the stupidest things.
>>
>>44384948
Any opinions?
>>
>>44385372
how can we possibly have an opinion on a goblin guide deck
>>
Anyone play Grixis here? I'd love to see some lists.
>>
>>44385385
What do you even mean by this? It runs Goblin Guide because he's the best one drop for us.
>>
>>44385362
I'm retarded and accidently entered my sideboard in.

You're probably right, the deck seems consistent, but it's not very strong in the meta.

My LGS's modern scene is fairly new though so it's mostly just brews.
>>
>>44385372
fewer creatures, more burn. Put baloth in board, get rid of flinthoof boar and goyf (if you are only going to have 3 types of cards in your yard, it will be 3/4 max) run searing blaze, rift bolt, boros charm.
>>
>>44385425
Don't get me wrong play what you want, especially if the meta is new. Everyone loves playing primeval titan, but I think there are better decks, heck even better titan decks (bloom).
>>
File: 20151226_151539-01.jpg (4 MB, 5025x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151226_151539-01.jpg
4 MB, 5025x2988
>>44384578
Here's my current fetch set up. Pulled all of these from a box, and about 50 extra random packs before work over the last month and a half.

>Tfw no wooded foothills

I might just cop the rest to finish my sets, but my luck with random packs so far has been too great to stop.
>>
>>44385279
Having not know about that card. Somehow thinking it's a new card. Generally just not really knowing what he's talking about.
>>
>>44385469
do you have any reading comprehension?
>>
When is the banlist updated for modern?
>>
>>44385511
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=next+modern+banlist+update
>>
>What fetchlands do you own?
Play set of Deltas, Verdant, Windswept, and Bloodstained mires. 2 Flooded Strands.
>What fetchlands do you plan on purchasing?
Misty Rainforest and Scalding Tarn, both for different reasons and not because RUG. Misty for BUG Delver and Scalding Tarn for Grixis Control Been using Verdant and Mires to replace them for the time being. Also would like Jace, but I don't really need him.
>>
>>44384578
I own a set of deltas and mires, as well as a stay foothill. One of these days I'll have some tarns, but I'll play off color until then.
>>
Can not fucking WAIT til they reprint enemy fetchlands in like 2017. They made Khans so fun to open.
>>
>>44384578
Some Heaths I'm loaning to a friend, 4 Wooded Foothills, 3. Bloodstained Mires, a Misty and 2 Arid Mesas. Trying to get rid of all of them except the Misty.
The rest of a playset of Mistys for Scapeshift.

>>44385303
Bring to Light Scapeshift is a lot more fun imo, but this deck has its merits. I think they're equally as good and excel in different situations, but casting Cryptic on turn 3 is too big of a draw for me to pass up. I might buy the pieces to this deck as I go on, though.
>>
>>44385484
Seriously though, who thinks a bad nights whisper is playable
>>
>>44385785
Painful Truths is seeing play

:^)
>>
>>44385826
in events above regular play level and not on mtgo, it has been played as a one of in a grixis control deck
>>
>>44384578

I have all the fetchlands except for Wooded Foothills, Scalding Tarns and Arid Mesa's. I have one foil Scalding Tarn however that I found in an old Zendikar booster box lying around the house it also contained a Goblin Guide. VALUETOWN.

I don't think i'll ever play any UR decks in Modern so i'm not worried about acquiring Tarns, I should pick up the Foothills though, they're the only fetches I don't have in Standard and are useful for Modern too.
>>
Bloodstained Mire I did have a polluted delta expedition that I sold for $288 because I hate fetchlands

On another note, could Naya Allies be a thing or should I stick with building U/G control?
>>
>>44385919

>could Naya Allies be a thing

Only if you have Aether Vials and CoCo. It's basically almost the same as the old Allies deck in Zen Standard but now with Lantern Scout and Expedition Envoy makes the deck more consistent in the early drops and gives you a good lifelink dude. Think of it sort of like a Zoo deck with less removal but way bigger dudes in the early game.
>>
>>44385826
I actually like painful truths, draw 3 for 3 is a good rate. I've considered it, if never played it, for some grindy legacy decks that don't run shardless agent. Nights whisper is vintage playable if you ask rich shay. Which I don't.
>>
Do people think that modem would be a better format if they allowed for more sideboard slots to account for a diverse field and lack of good card advantage/selection
>>
>>44386165
No, it makes deckbuilding more lazy. Also, having a different sized sideboard for one format is weird.
>>
>>44385326
I run pierces myself.
>>
>>44386210
I think it makes sideboarding for a gp/rptq level event less of a "guess what matchups you'll have" gamble, and more of a "give yourself game against the whole field" feel.

Other formats have different size sideboards, vintage only allows for 8 sideboard cards!
>>
I like playing bloom titan

What are the chances of my deck getting gutted in January because upset timmies don't like the unlikely chance of dying turn 1 or 2?
>>
>>44386300
>Other formats have different size sideboards, vintage only allows for 8 sideboard cards!
No.
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=judge/resources/sfrvintage
>>
>>44386165
no, it turns the entirely SB dependant modern into more of entirely SB modern
>>
>>44386406
You have 8 actual sideboard slots, and 7ish pieces of dredge hate
>>
>>44386300

>vintage only allows for 8 sideboard cards!

Is this some Vintage inside joke or something?
>>
>>44386424
Current modern sideboards reward players who jam 4-5 slots for certain matchups and guess which matchups they have correctly, rather than rewarding a balanced sideboard. If you have 2-3 cards for every matchup, you're only around 33% to open with them.

Give people a few more slots to deal with having to naturally draw their hate cards more often and build more balanced sideboards, and allow for control to make a bit more of a resurgence
>>
>>44386499
See>>44386473
>>
>>44384578
I have a Foil Expeditions Flooded Strand.
It's my pride and joy considering it's worth more than I've invested into Magic.
>>
File: Cyborg Grandpa G.jpg (31 KB, 639x424) Image search: [Google]
Cyborg Grandpa G.jpg
31 KB, 639x424
>>44386525

Alright, you got me. I'll give you a 3 out of 5. Bretty Good.
>>
>>44384948
>rancor
experience one ? mutagenic growth ?

>baloth
for what purpose ?

>no side
where is the best part of the deck ?
>>
>>44387053
Rancor is just for the trample
Baloth mainboard is because my meta is at least 60% Burn, it gives me a few cards pre sideboard to help while also not being a dead card, then second game sideboard in a playset of feed the clan
>>
>>44380311
>>44382056
>>44381965

Spoonfeed me.
>>
>>44387470
>feed the clan
Go finks.
The side of burns is like 25% skullcracks.

Maybe, you should just change your location or play Martyr life, 60% burn is pure garbage.
>>
>>44387595
Either works really
>change location
This is actually the largest and most enjoyable game store in town to go to. The atmosphere is amazing, nice tables, lots of product, and great people to play magic with. Although there is a lot of burn to play against there's also a ton of other decks, the meta is large and varying its just that there's consistently a lot of burn.
>>
How stupid/crazy am I for trying Disrupting Shoal in infect?
>>
>>44387868
Most of the deck is green so quite.
>>
File: IMG_3341.jpg (386 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3341.jpg
386 KB, 750x1000
>>44384578
4 foil BFZ Misty Rainforest
4 foil BFZ Scalding Tarn
4 foil KTK Bloodstained Mire
8 foil KTK Flooded Strand
8 foil KTK Polluted Delta
4 foil KTK Windswept Heath
4 foil KTK Wooded Foothills
4 ONS Bloodstained Mire
4 ONS Flooded Strand
6 ONS Polluted Delta
4 ONS Windswept Heath
4 ONS Wooded Foothills
6 ZEN Arid Mesa
4 ZEN Marsh Flats
8 ZEN Misty Rainforest
12 ZEN Scalding Tarn
5 ZEN Verdant Catacombs
4 KTK Bloodstained Mire
8 KTK Flooded Strand
4 KTK Polluted Delta
12 KTK Windswept Heath
8 KTK Wooded Foothills

I definitely learned from not having enough Onslaught fetchies.

None at the moment.
>>
>>44384578
2 playsets of each, all boughten at under $10 per card.
could flip now for almost triple profit. But ima wait it out.
>>
>>44388463
its nice to see that some people on here lead moderately successful lives.
>>
>>44388506
>its nice to see that some people on here lead moderately successful lives.
Not particularly so. I'm enlisted military.
>>
>>44388515
Where are you stationed?
>>
>>44388527
Right now I'm an AGR in Utah.
>>
So is it possible to get a good deck without spending $### on cards?
>>
>>44388463
I grade a lot of other cards, but I've never submitted an MTG card. How much would a gem 10 KTK Polluted Delta go for roughly? Are you able to proxy the cards you have slabbed at FNM?
>>
>>44388550
Good? Maybe.
Competitive? Probably not.
>>
>>44388571
So it's a pay-to-win game that continually rectons old cards with bans and releases a new overpowered set every year to keep the money coming in?
>>
>>44388564
>How much would a gem 10 KTK Polluted Delta go for roughly?
Probably not much more than an ungraded one, for the time being.

>Are you able to proxy the cards you have slabbed at FNM?
I've never tried.
>>
>>44388582
No.
>>
>>44388594
You just said it was
>>
>>44388601
I don't really want to respond to this, but it's too late.

>So it's a pay-to-win game that continually rectons old cards with bans and releases a new overpowered set every year to keep the money coming in?

No, there are few eternal format playable cards printed in sets, BFZ had 1~2. Origins and Khans block had loads. Theroes block had only had less than a handful. Most of the money you're spending on a deck will be on cards from older sets that have become format staples. If you are familiar with supply and demand, which it doesn't seem like, these old cards are in high demand and low supply causing a steep price, causing the price for competitive decks to be very high. Most staples are necessary for format defining decks to function, there are budget alternatives for most decks/cards, but they are not optimal obviously. Playing the best deck, dumping the most money in, does not guarantee wins at all, there's this thing in magic called "piloting", and if you can't pilot correctly, it doesn't matter what you are playing.

In short, no. This isn't YGO.
>>
>>44388690
Well you WILL win when you pay the $600 for a competitive deck because you got all the rare and good cards. I've never lost with my deck I have right now and I've just been slapping shit down without looking at it.
>>
Since theres no judge thread, Ill ask here.
If I understand it correctly, once you pass priority the opponent can either react or let the spell resolve.
So if you hold priority you can put as many spells as you want on the stack? So I could put 10 spells on the stack and something with split second at the end and then pass priority?
>>
>>44388707
Then you have bad enemies.
Theres a reason (at least in my area) the same guys always win the tournaments, even though they dont play T1 decks.
>>
>>44385326
Spell pierce is more main deck able but generally I find that infect loses a lot to instant speed removal
>>
>>44385826
I play one in my jund sideboard against grixis decks and in the mirror
>>
>>44386404
>Unlikely
It happened 4 times this week at my lgs's modern event
>>
>>44388707
>Well you WILL win when you pay the $600 for a competitive deck
In a really shitty FNM meta, maybe.

Hell, I go to an underpowered FNM (lots of kids, 1 guy who plays RG Tron or Jund, 1 guy that plays Burn/Infect/Living End, 1 guy that plays Storm, 1 guy that plays Bloom Titan, 1 guy with Affinity without Opals, and me... I play everything) and I still lose a round with tier 1 decks from time to time.

If I go downtown to play, the competition is almost like a PPTQ.
>>
>>44388721
You sure can, but it might not do what you think it does.

The spell with split second will resolve first, but then both players need to pass priority again before the next spell can resolve.
>>
>>44388785
I really like bloom, it's design and synergy is pretty amazing, and is loads of fun to pilot since it's so difficult.

But holy fuck is it the stupidest deck in modern.
>>
>>44388805
yes, but because split second is on the stack he cant respond with a spell right?
>>
>>44388832
Split Second stops players from casting spells or abilities *while a split second spell is on the stack*.

Once the split second spell resolves it's no longer on the stack, and your opponent is perfectly free to respond to your other spells in any way they please.
>>
>>44384578
I got a playset of all the Khans reprints while they were $8-10. Prices are going up now packs aren't being opened and they're not going down. Anyone wanting them should get them now if they didn't last year, they're only ever going up.
>>
>>44388851
ah okey, thanks
>>
>>44388859
I'm hoping for a drop at rotation.
>>
File: good luck.jpg (24 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
good luck.jpg
24 KB, 500x376
>>44388872
>>
>>44384578
I have 15 of the khans fetches, still need 2 flooded strand and 3 polluted delta to complete the 20. I also have a single verdant catacombs (traded a domri rade for it - really good deal in the long run!)

Looking to finish the 20 allied fetches, as well as pick up a mesa and a marsh flats for my deck.

>>44388872
There will be a drop, but it really won't be nearly as big as you think.
>>
>>44388707
>Well you WILL win when you pay the $600 for a competitive deck
When 20 people show up to FNM with $600 decks, that's 19 losers with $600 decks.

Ergo, you are wrong.
>>
File: ST.png (616 KB, 1368x776) Image search: [Google]
ST.png
616 KB, 1368x776
>>44388872

GLHF
>>
>>44387538
As in, why wouldn't this work against the combo?
>>
>>44389032
mostly because it's a reactive card. They can just choose not to combo, and they'll know not to because you have to play it before they start, or else it'll be too late.
>>
>>44389032

It would "work," but if Splinter Twin is resolving and the only thing thats going to stop it is a 2 mana white cantrip, you have problems that card can't solve.
>>
>>44389003
>>44388928
>>44388961
Ok, ok. I'm buying a set of Wooded Foothills.

I only sort of need Windswept, but I'll see how rotation goes for those since they're so low anyways. Plus I just borrow a friends.
>>
I wanna buy a box with Christmasbuxx, should I bite it and buy MM15, or should I play the expeditions lottery with BFZ and have 35 packs worth of kindling
>>
>>44389165
Are you going to open the box?
>>
>>44389032
This is basically a 2 mana cantriping fog.
>>
>>44389176

Yeah, I have a sealed itch and a gambling itch all in one.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bant-titan-control-deck/

Do you guys think this landbase is fine? The deck used to be UW, but the Sakura-Tribe Elders are pretty much a direct upgrade from the Pilgrim's Eyes it was running before, and E. Witness is obviously amazing in this deck. Getting the GG for E. Witness's casting cost hurts sometimes though, especially when my opening hand consists of her and a bunch of cards containing blue.
>>
>>44389191
If I had to open a box, I'd go with KTK.
>>
>>44389225
Try to get one more forest since Bloodmoon is still a thing.
>>
>>44384578
I have sets of polluted delta, closed strand, windswept heath, and wooded foothills. I need to get scalding tarns next. Their price is insane but I'm thinking of selling my one copy of liliana that I bought for like ~$45 when I was playing 8rack and treasure cruise was legal.
>>
File: 346354634.jpg (10 KB, 200x251) Image search: [Google]
346354634.jpg
10 KB, 200x251
>>44388463
>pimping my Golgari EDH collection
>buy Expeditions online
>mfw seeing how glossy they are
>mfw almost as ugly as FTV cards

I'll just wait a year and sell them again with a profit.
>>
>>44385390
Here's my list. I'm buying tarns as soon as I can to replace the flooded strands.

Land (18)
1x Blood Crypt
1x Dragonskull Summit
4x Flooded Strand
2x Island
1x Mountain
4x Polluted Delta
2x Steam Vents
1x Swamp
2x Watery Grave
Sorcery (8)
1x Forked Bolt
2x Gitaxian Probe
1x Rise/Fall
4x Serum Visions
Instant (19)
2x Kolaghan's Command
4x Lightning Bolt
2x Mana Leak
1x Murderous Cut
2x Remand
2x Spell Snare
2x Terminate
4x Thought Scour
Creature (15)
4x Delver of Secrets Flip
3x Gurmag Angler
4x Snapcaster Mage
2x Tasigur, the Golden Fang
2x Young Pyromancer
Sideboard (15)
1x Anger of the Gods
1x Countersquall
2x Dispel
1x Engineered Explosives
1x Izzet Staticaster
1x Keranos, God of Storms
1x Rending Volley
2x Spellskite
2x Sudden Shock
1x Surgical Extraction
2x Thoughtseize
>>
File: zameck_guildmage.jpg (38 KB, 251x356) Image search: [Google]
zameck_guildmage.jpg
38 KB, 251x356
>>44384578

That fetchland cycle is mighty good.

This seems like the thread to ask how do I break this thing?

Kind of want to make a modern beatdown thing.
>>
>>44386404
It's literally not happening. Also, Timmies are the ones playing that deck.
>>
>>44387868
There's only one card from that cycle that belongs in infect, and the blue one isn't it.
>>
>>44389394
>mfw seeing how glossy they are
They look nice when double-sleeved, though.
>>
>>44389434
>not Johnnies
>>
>>44389478
>>44389434

>thinking each player can be put into 1 of 3 categories
>>
>>44389165
You should go MM2, the goyf lottery is better than the expedition lottery. Plus with mm2 you have Spellskite, fulminator, hierarch, and in bfz you have at most giddeon and even he is dropping
>>
>>44389478
>the deck that chain casts fat green creatures is not for the player defined by enjoying casting fat green creatures. Johnnies play storm or ad nauseam.
>>
>>44389242
Too bad the red one is banned, and by too bad I mean thank god
>>
>>44389540
>the deck that only plays 4 fat green creatures
>>
>>44389165
You'd be better off taking a stab at Magic Origins. There's a reasonable chance of pulling a Jace which is worth more than many Expeditions. The Expeditions are so infrequent you have little chance of pulling one of you buy even two or three boxes. If you buy Khans you are likely to get several Fetches. MM2 was a washout. There are a reasonable number of solid value cards but the booster box costs twice what a normal box does. It's no MM1, that's for sure.

Most boxes look a shit investment. But them to draft, don't just crack packs. Khans will likely be worth more in future because of the fetches - like five years probably!
>>
>>44389560
It plays 11, sometimes 12, and then more in the side.

>>44389551
I didn't say it was legal, I said it was the only one that has a place.
>>
How dank is my new Green Stompy deck? Ordered it off TCG player last night.

Already regretting not getting a playset of Dungrove Elders, but didn't know what to remove.

24x Creature
4x Dryad Militant
4x Experiment One
4x Strangleroot Geist
4x Avatar of the Resolute
2x Scavenging Ooze
3x Dungrove Elder
3x Leatherback Baloth

Instant x11
4x Aspect of Hydra
4x Vines of Vastwood
3x Dismember

Enchantment x4
4x Rancor

Lands x21
20 forest
1 Treetop Village

SBx15
2x Creeping Corrosion
3x Feed the Clan
2x Unravel the Aether
2x Relic of Progenitus
2x Guttural Response
2x Pithing Needle
2x Gut Shot
>>
>>44389551
also, I'm pretty sure blazing infect would be crap without ponder and preordain anyway.
>>
>>44389640
That deck has a fancy promo for almost every card. I hope you bought those versions for maximum dankness. There are some decks in the format that just can't handle what you're doing, but don't expect to win a gp or anything.
>>
>>44389640
Seems fine for a budget deck.
>>
>>44389640
What advantages could this possibly have over playing burn?
>>
File: Modern pain scale.jpg (76 KB, 634x341) Image search: [Google]
Modern pain scale.jpg
76 KB, 634x341
>just submitted $250 order to for 16 KTK fetches
at least now I have a play set of each. goodbye christmas money, I hardly knew ye
>>
>>44389663
That's what it's for, though. What are you going to do other than spend it. Enjoy your shiny new toys, man!
>>
>>44389663
>buying LotV
>>
File: cock-magic.jpg (56 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
cock-magic.jpg
56 KB, 320x320
>>44389640
Last year in a local PTQ, some guy came out of the swiss undefeated with mono green stompy. I raped him with Affinity (but lost to PTQ winner in semis).

Funny thing is, I played against that guy again in a PPTQ earlier this year. Burn vs Burn and I beat him again.
>>
>>44389659
Fitty cent manabase.
>>
>>44389467
As do regular foils, except you can see the damn art properly on it. It's almost as bad as Shadowmoor foils.
>>
>>44389659

Doesn't have to answer Leyline of Sanctity and doesn't fold to extreme lifegain.
>>
>>44389774
It also gets obliterated by Tron, needs Vines in hand to stop Twin, most of its creatures die to the most common spell in the format, and it loses any and all topdeck wars. It's an aggro deck, but it's slower than burn and affinity.
>>
>>44389659
Doesn't run out of steam as easily.
>>
>>44389825
To burn, running out of steam is a non-issue because your opponent is more than likely dead by this point anyway.
>>
>>44389814
I've 7 answers to Twin main deck. 4 Vines and 3 Dismember. Even more in the SB.

Tron is going to be tough unless I have a great early game.
>>
>>44389849
I don't think you can physically win against Tron. Turn 3 or 4 anything big stops you dead. You'd need to add white and run Teeg or something in your board.
>>
>>44389814

Most of the time half the shit in that deck gets bigger than any Pyroclasm that RG Tron throws or is resilient to it like Strangleroot Geist, and if Tron drops a Turn 3 Karn i'm sure they're probably dead on board next turn from the beatdowns. Sure Mono G stompy needs an answer to Twin with Vines but so does practically every other fucking deck in Modern with something so I don't know what your argument is here. Most creatures in Modern die to Bolt or Path anyway but that doesn't stop them from being played(every single Elf, Goblin Guide, Pestermite, early Merfolk, Glistener Elf etc.) so the whole "dies to removal" argument is pretty damn poor.

Mono G Stompy is slower than burn and Affinity but it's less easily hated and more consistent in opening hands. It's also more of an Aggro-Midrange deck.
>>
>>44384578
Own around 100 fetches.

Git gud.
>>
>>44389640

Throw in a Nykthos somewhere in the lands list. Come on man you're playing Mono G and you got a Leatherback Baloth and no Nykthos? I mean dude. DUDE. COME ON.

Also run Beast Within for the SB. Great catch all answer card. Ground Seal is also not a bad option against decks playing Snapcaster.
>>
>>44389956

But anon, you can't run 100 fetches in EDH.
>>
>>44390080

Of course not, one card has to be your commander.
>>
>tfw only one playset of every KTK fetchlands

I should have gotten two more playsets. I hope they drop back to their $10-15 price tag when they rotate so I can get more. Rotation can't come soon enough (Standard affects their prices whether you accept it or not. Like Jace, they are a must-own to compete in the format)

I know I will get three playsets of the enemy fetchlands once they are reprinted in Standard.
>>
>>44389849
I like Beast Within more than Dismember against Tron, but don't think it's worth totally making the switch.>>44389904
>>
>>44390190
also, there's the thing about not running the same card twice, unless it's one of the five, sorry six, basic lands
>>
>>44390197
see>>44389003
>>
>>44384846
if you were playing with friends and didnt want to buy anything better then sure
>>
>>44389003
ZEN fetchlands will drop if they are reprinted. What's your point?
>>
Can I build a decent jund deck without Goyf,Lili and Bob?
>>
>>44390297
Yeah, you run a pile of burn spells and no green or black spells
>>
>>44390271

Not the same guy but ZEN fetchlands will only drop if they are reprinted and they have the same art. If they have different art then the old ZEN fetches will increase in price.
>>
>>44390080
>>44390190
I actually have this many because I own around 10 EDH decks. That and I need a playset of each for constructed.
>>
>>44390297
that's not what happened to the ONS fetches. the originals dropped when the KTK reprints happened.
>>
>>44390379
Then he'll just buy the new ones?
>>
>>44390407
>>44390379
>>
>>44390214
>five, sorry six, basic lands
You mean eleven basic lands?
>>
>>44390407
I don't understand how this is a hard concept to grasp.

The point was Fetchlands won't drop unless they are reprinted. Judging how ONS just got reprinted in KTK, they probably won't be printed for a while and therefore KTK fetches will only increase in price.

Does that help?
>>
>>44390271

Onslaught was printed in 2002, and the fetches weren't reprinted until 2014. I wouldn't hold your breath for the Khans fetches to drop in this lifetime.
>>
>>44390463
On the other hand, only 6 more years until enemy fetchland reprints!
>>
>>44390455
>if they are reprinted and they have the same art. If they have different art then the old ZEN fetches will increase in price
we're not even talking about the same thing nigger get with the program
>>
>>44388550
Bogles and Merfolk
>>
>>44390407

Yeah but look at the ONS fetches now in comparison to KTK fetches in terms of price now. You're right in that they did drop but still retain a higher price than KTK fetches.
>>
>>44390636
they stayed higher than KTK fetches, but using polluted delta as an example, dropped from a median price of ~$100 to the current median of $38. that's a pretty big hit.
>>
>>44384578
>What fetchs do you own
Sets at least of literally all of them except Marsh Flats
>Fetchs you plan on purchasing
A set of Marsh Flats, obv. Need them for Mardu Mentor.
>>
>>44390332
So I can't build up to it?
>>
36. No Tarns.

I plan on swapping the KtK ones with Onslaught ones eventually. Tarns I won't bother with until they're reprinted, I don't really play decks that use them anyways.
>>
>>44389940
Green Stompy has some good main deck cards against Tron. E1 and Strangleroot Geist are both resilient to O Stone, as is Thrun if he's run.
>>
>>44390758

Shit I actually had no idea they reached $100, last time I stopped playing was around Innistrad block and it was like $40 then. I only started playing MTG in Khans block again but I knew that ZEN fetches were pretty pricey because of Modern from a friend.
>>
>>44390821
you can, it just won't be as good. There's like a BG 2/2 that you can pump for 2 life once a turn you can run instead of goyfs, you can run phyrexian arena instead of bobs, lili is kind if not replaceable but maybe just run more scooze or something? Idk if you have the lands, but those are really more important because it would suck to have a hand with goyfs and lilies but not being able to cast them on curve because you have shitty mana.
>>
>>44390821
>>44391025
Also, idk how many foothills Jund typically runs, but you could probably go up to the full 4 and also 4 bloodstained mires if you can't afford verdant catacombs.
>>
File: 1448852328235.jpg (48 KB, 404x600) Image search: [Google]
1448852328235.jpg
48 KB, 404x600
How did modern manabases work when it was only the Zendikar fetches?

Did the arrival of the Khans fetches bring any new decks to the forefront?
>>
>>44384578
I have all the Khans ones, a Verdant Catacomb and a Marsh Flat. Sold the rest of mine when they were above 100. Bought into legacy. Good shit.
>>
>>44391194
Fine and not really. Turns out the top decks before allied fetches were printed are still the top decks after, and that the manabase isn't what's holding T2 and lower decks back.

It's a lack of good support/build-around cards that don't just slot into 3-color goodstuff or Twin.
>>
>>44390297
Not really, but you could just build The Rock I suppose. Goyf really is irriplaceable, and Bob's only like 30ish dollars if you wanna get it.
>>
>>44391194
not that much different, shocklands have always been in modern and an off color fetch land could still usually get whatever you needed no problem.
>>
File: IMG_20151225_092417.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151225_092417.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Playtested Twin against Sultai last night. Not too many games but enough to get a feel for it. Abrupt Decay feels bad but I'm not too poorly positioned against it. In our second game I topped decked a splinter twin and won, that is actually kind of a gross feeling.
>>
I enjoy playing Magic: The Gathering because it's fun.
>>
File: IMG_20151225_092647.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151225_092647.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>44391708
Also Kher Keep is a good card. Gets around sac effects and makes a blocker for Tarmogoyf every turn.
>>
>>44391728
That's pretty cool tech. Idk how good it actually is but I basically live for cute shit like that. Did you come up with that on your own?
>>
>>44391792
I heard someone mention it in passing so I threw it in. Makes opponent(S) super salty because of its cuteness.
>>
>>44391831
I'll keep that in mind if I ever build ur twin. Only thing is I think desolate lighthouse is supposed to be one of the main reasons to play straight ur instead of rug or grixis so I'm not sure if it's worth losing lighthouse.
>>
>>44391993
I have a lighthouse in there, right next to it
>>
File: Kobolds of Kher Keep.jpg (28 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Kobolds of Kher Keep.jpg
28 KB, 223x310
>>44391728

USELESS USELESS USELESS CARD.

Unless you're using these for tokens. Then 10/10 tech.
>>
>>44392030
Oh man I actually do need to get some of those as tokens. Thanks
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 680x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 680x768
>>44391728
I really like that card. I would add it to my U/R delver but my manabase is kinda weak. Cheapest chumpblocker producer, and how many modern cards have trample? Not bananaman, not goyf, not ooze, kinda hilarious that jund lacks trample. Infect too, I think for the most part (fuggin rancor)

>>44389421
I scratched my noggin for a while on this one, maybe look into cloudstone curio? Or Norin? Idk.
>>
>>44384578
I'm planning to pick up 4x Flooded Strand for a UW Tron deck I'm building.
>>
>>44391724

Fucking casual gtfo
>>
Has anyone had experience with selling cards to Channel Fireball's buylist? I have a playset of Tarmogoyfs, Noble Heirarchs and Knight of the Reliquarys that I am trying to sell of to buy into Merfolk. I already have two other playsets of those 3 and am looking to trade/buy into Merfolk. Any suggestions on how to go about this?
>>
>>44392354
Jund does have Olivia, though. She'll just slap all those 0/1's with her tranny dick
>>
>>44392941
Sell on ebay.
>>
>>44392941
Sell on a local facebook trading group
>>
Will fetches go down in price when they rotate out of standard? I still need like 2 foothills, 3 deltas (kill me), 3 flooded and 3 bloodstained. Did the train leave forever or do i still have a shot at picking those up?
>>
>>44393051
no
>>
>>44392960
>Search up "olivia mtg"
>accidentally type "olivia mtf"
Pottery.

Anyways I suppose she could deal with the tokens easily but that's her whole schtick, slapping tokens. she can be bolted if she comes out t4 (or bounced if she gets spooky) so it might even still be worth vs olivia jund
>>
>>44393051
Train has left the station months ago.

Just get them now, they won't be going down.
>>
>>44385303
I traded one relic for a single prismatic omen, but I'm playing the same exact list

I was stomping people with it. If I didn't have to shuffle it literally every turn, sometimes 2-3 times in a turn, it would be a lot more fun

>>44385362
>I saw LSV play the deck and it just lost to the stupidest things

He was also making a lot of big mistakes
>>
>>44393051

Scalding Tarns were going for like $15 when they rotated. I'm sure the Khans fetches will stay cheap.

On topic, what the fuck is Wizards gonna do about fetches in the future? Just Modern bake with ~$600 landbases in every deck? Let Standard chill with shit mana? Fetch free-for-all in MM3? It's interesting to me that the Battlelands are fetchable for seemingly no reason past the first rotation, although BFZ has been otherwise pretty parastic
>>
>>44389984

The deck's highest CMC is 3 for Baloth (some lists go to 4 for Thrun and the like). You only intend to ever get three, maybe four lands with this deck. Until Nykthos turns on it's a liability because it doesn't give coloured mana.

Beast Within costs 3 and gives the opponent a 3/3, both are really bad things for this style of deck (you should have mana up at all times for the pump spells).
>>
>>44389640
How much are you liking the Treetop Village? It felt awkward when I tried it, so I took it out.

What's the Gut Shot in the side for? I'm trying to imagine what you'd use that on, instead of grabbing Beast Within for the {everything} matchup.

>>44393779
Beast Within is an amazing catch-all answer for the sideboard. It cleans up the weird outlier decks that show up, can blank a removal spell if you cast it on your own creature, and is one of your only chances against Tron.
>>
Question for all you good people, are Slivers even remotely viable in modern? Been mostly fucking around with B/W Tokens and grixis and getting a little bored with those. Need something kinda retarded to play with for a while.
>>
>>44393840
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5378&d=231040
>>
>>44393840
With CoCo, yes.
>>44393828
I could see gutshot for infect, >FREE removal is dank
>>
>>44390405
Commanders?
>>
>>44394027
Niv-Mizzet, Animar, Oloro, Damia, Horde of Notions, Progenitus, Mikaeus, Slobad, Omnath, Mogis.
>>
>>44393496
Fair enough. R/G isn't really his thing. Although Jund looks like a bitch of a match up, even though RUG shapeshift seems easier.
>>
>>44394133
Jund is like the easiest matchup for any Scapeshift deck, they can't interact with you at all
>>
>>44393943
>>44393975
Well alright.
>>
File: 52.jpg (77 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
52.jpg
77 KB, 312x445
Stifle in modern when?
>>
>>44392030
Old storm ran them, they were good in it.
>>
>>44394176
Look some up on youtubes, there are a whole bunch of different lists so it's a really neat tribal deck.
>>44394257
Squelch, broseph. NO STIFLE FOR U.
Or that one stifle that costs 1 more with splitsecond. Sorry duder :(
>>
>>44393757
They won't go down. People aren't that short sighted.
>>
>>44394429
all I wanna do is fuck over fetches while playing delver

and I don't wanna pay 2 mana for it god dammit
>>
>>44384578
I have enough money to buy only 1-2 sets of fetches, does anyone have any ideas on what's going to rise in price the most?
>>
>>44394759
fetches
>>
>>44391025
BG 2/2?

And I have sets of Wooded Foothills and Bloodstaineds.

And yeah, I'm planning on getting Lili first.

Thanks btw.
>>
>>44394768
Which ones though, deltas, heaths, strands, mires, or foothills
>>
>>44394855
Ones with blue.
>>
Fuck, newBG Manland is not 3/3 but a 2/2 with BG: RegenerateManland.

I guess I'll keep my Treetop Village in my Jund Deck
>>
>>44384578
MtG noob here. Why is this kind of card good?
Isn't there different land cards that do similar stuff without having to pay 1 life?
>>
>people want counterspell in modern
>delve counterspell already exists
>>
>>44394969

Fetchlands thin your deck, making the chance of drawing land lower. Plus it can get you Shocklands and Battlelands for better mana fixing.
>>
>>44394969
They are incredible mana-fixing. For example, a Scalding Tarn can give you access to white mana by fetching you a Tundra. Also, they provide a shuffle effect, which is great in conjunction with cards like Brainstorm.
>>
File: Overgrown Tomb.jpg (27 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Overgrown Tomb.jpg
27 KB, 223x310
>>44395003
Ignore this first sentence. "Thinning" your deck has an incredibly slim impact on your potential draws, statistically a FAR lower impact than paying 1 life.

>>44394969
There's multiple reasons: These lands can tutor for NON basic lands. For example it can fetch any forest or plains. Pic related is a forest that also taps for black mana. So using these lands you can fetch any color combination!

The most important reason however is that the lands it can fetch come into play UNTAPPED. This is the de-facto reason they are played. This reason is reason enough alone, the others are just bonuses. The other search lands have the land you search for enter tapped, meaning you sacrifice a whole turn worth of mana.
A player using these lands has 1 mana on turn 1, 2 mana turn 2, 3 mana turn 3 etc. Someone using the other fetches has 0 mana turn 1, 1 mana turn 2, etc. The difference in competetive decks is huge.

The last reason is shuffle effects and feeding your graveyard. Using cards like Brainstorm, you draw 3, put 2 bad cards on top of your deck, then search for a land, shuffling them away!
It also puts a card in your graveyard, feeding cards like Tarmogoyf and Delve cards like Tasigur.
>>
>>44395003
>>44395094
>>44395147
I see, that actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining.
>>
>>44384578
4 heath, 4 foothills, 2 strand
>>
Should I sell my 4 Polluted Deltas now and buy them back later after rotation?
>>
>>44395314
No. I tried doing that when they spiked last time and I ended up just trading them back for the same amount (luckily) a bit over a month later.
>>
>>44384578
4 KTK Strands
I need tarns and mesas pretty badly, I plan on purchasing them when my extra student financial aid comes through
>>
>>44395314
price will probably increase
>>
So, should I try to trade away my Bloom Titan deck, Blood Moons and Geists?

I have a playset of everything, but if they are getting banned / reprinted I'd rather trade them for guaranteed value like fetches.
>>
File: Sq7ue9v.png (938 KB, 599x838) Image search: [Google]
Sq7ue9v.png
938 KB, 599x838
The absurd popularity of this game may eventually lead to it's downfall, unless WOTC starts reprinting shit asap.
2 years ago you could build a competitive modern deck for ~300$. Now it's 500-600$. Wanna play Jund? That'll be 2000$ plz. What about affinity, at one point the cheapest modern deck? 800$! WTF? I don't understand why Wizards are so stubborn? They reprint expensive cards as judge or wmcq promos, fetchlands as expeditions and Tarmogoyfs at mythic rarity.
At one point, people who actually want to play the game will say: "Fuck it! I'm not paying for cardboard more than for gold", and this whole bubble is gonna burst so hard, all those "speculators" who have thousands upon thousands of Arcbound Ravagers, Blood Moons and Snapcasters collecting dust in their basement, along with jews from WOTC will be biting their elbows and crying tears made of stone, knowing that their greediness killed the game.
>>
>>44394833
yeah, I found it. Putrid leech. Obviously not as good as a goyf and it'll hurt your burn matchup but it's basically a 2 mana 4/4. You could also do hooting mandrills.
>>
File: 635856504463743199.png (680 KB, 702x984) Image search: [Google]
635856504463743199.png
680 KB, 702x984
What does tg think of the leaked instant speed pyroclasm?

Do you think it will see a lot of play?
>>
>>44395428
Maybe, if R/G eldrazi tron becomes a thing.

The current tron doesn't want to play it at all due to it being 3 mana.
>>
>>44395406
Yeah, this seems ok. Cool, thanks.
>>
>>44395359
Already did for me. Only thing keeping me still in game is local proxy scene, where they all jsut said "fuck this, we can't get ANY GAMES without just making the game free for us". Mainly focusing legacy, where the reserved list bullshit has lead it to it's grave.
>>
>>44395447
Are you sniffing glue? Paying 1 more mana for a instant pyroclasm is a small trade. Bonus round: you blow up Tarmogoyf when you cast that Ulamog.
>>
>>44395447
>>44395564
It does work on Etched champion since it's devoided of color.
>>
File: zameckguildmage.jpg (99 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
zameckguildmage.jpg
99 KB, 675x900
QTDDTOT: MtG edition

My kitchen table bro just gave me a full art Zameck Guildmage for my Commander 2015 Ezuri deck. It is by far the sexiest card I own. How do I repay him with a similar gift? He plays black/red vampires in modern and Mizzix in EDH. I'm looking for staples for those archetypes in full art, foil, or collectible promo that he might appreciate.
>>
>>44395564
>1 mana

It's fucking tron.

At turn 2, you have 2 mana.

At turn 3, you have SEVEN mana.

You're wasting the turn you're supposed to hit critical mass by casting a stupid instant speed boardwipe.

Being able to turn 2 pyro without messing up your tempo is what makes it so good.
>>
>>44395592
Please leave.
>>
>>44395495
You do realize wizards doesn't give a shit about anything that isn't limited, right? Wizards is making a killing by targeting kids and focusing mostly on the limited format.

Wizards literally does not give a fuck if modern or legacy implodes due to prices and shit. In a perfect world for wizards, the only competitive format would be draft.
>>
File: melek.jpg (71 KB, 426x320) Image search: [Google]
melek.jpg
71 KB, 426x320
>>44395592
Easy.

You're in the wrong thread though.
>>
>>44395615
>>44395667
What? Sorry guys, I just started in Khans. Thanks for the Melek.
>>
>>44395634
>Implied I didn't already know this but you still had to rant.

The thing is, there is market for modern. Wizards is just being a jew at their marketing and I don't get why. It's always stated that they want to keep money cards in bay to sell new sets, but you still give an argument casual players make the most money. Why not give the constructed scene what they want for some price they are willing to pay (Modern event decks, anyone remember that one they had?). And you do realize that they are very active with vintage and legacy formats on mtgo, but somehow on paper modern has to be this jew shit, not any normal guy with normal hobbies is ever going to be able to afford.

Before anyone comes up with "you have to make sacifices for your hobby", fuck you, playing a children's card game is not something you should have to make sacrifices for.
>>
>>44395447
I think it could be useful outside of tron. What about american control?

It's also worth mentioning it is devoid so ancient stirrings can dig for it.
>>
>>44395727
This is the tryhard modern thread, people not doing tryhard modern discussion are aggressively discouraged from participating.

>>44395751
I really want to make a R/G Eldrazi ramp deck. Stirrings is great.
>>
>>44395751
Its a red consume the meek, basically

wraths that can hit manlands are pretty good sb options for control decks
>>
Can I keep playing URx delver? I am literally married to the archetype.
>>
>>44395809
You can keep playing it, it just won't magically make it good
>>
>>44395750

Paper cards is serious business.

Well, Tokens was a good Event Deck. I bought one in 55$ last week. It has many core cards in it and the rest of the deck is not that expensive (for now).

Dunno why wizards dont release another Modern Event Deck. It was a success last year but this year we got only Commander decks.

Which deck can wizards bring as a new Modern Event Deck?
>>
>>44395843
They proably could get away with anything. But if it has to be cheap competitivish deck, then maybe:
>Infect
>Bogles
>Hatebears
>Delver
>>
>>44395843
monogreen stompy
>>
>>44395882

Infect could be a good choice sice fucking Inkmoths are expensive.

I assume they might deliver to us the UG version.

Knowing wizards they might bring Monoblue Ninjas and reprint the blue shoal.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.