[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG: Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18
File: unburial-rites.jpg (61 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
unburial-rites.jpg
61 KB, 480x680
Gifts edition.
I hope Oath has some playables.
>>
Nu-Koz is a perfect fit for U Tron
>>
>>44359111

>I hope Oath has some playables.

It won't. Magic has become all about satisfying Standard now because that is their biggest money maker after casual. Casual market will be satisfied as long as they reprint a shitty Kozilek that casual faggots will think is good.

Expecting Modern-playable cards from MtG sets these days is like expecting deep meaningful literature from 40k novels. They are on two different planes of goals and expectations.
>>
>>44359971
Well, there has been modern playable cards in recent sets.

There's Treasure Cruise....but that got banned.

And Dig through Time...but that got banned.
I know one that isn't banned! Siege Rhino...although it did get Pod banned.

But seriously, how far back am I allowed to go? If we start with the set Unburial Rites is from, we also have Delver and Resto Angel to name a few.

Next block had shockland reprints, skullcrack, abrupt decay, an counterflux.

Theros block saw another reprint in Thoughseize, as well as cards like Anger of the Gods, Ashiok, Eidolon of the Great Revel, and Mana Confluence.

Khans block brought us yet another set of reprints, allowing enemy fetchlands into modern alongside their allied cousins. We also get all three cards I mentioned earlier from this block.

Between those blocks were also a couple core sets, and there were cards from those as well that see modern play. Vryn's Prodigy, Archangel of Thune, painland reprints, Chord of Calling, and various support to push elves and goblins in modern.
>>
Is Duress a good alternative for Thoughtseize in a Affinity sideboard?
>>
>>44360148
I can do the job against most sideboard choices. Unless your opponent is rocking something like Kataki or Reclamation Sage, in which case you best prepare to get wrecked.
>>
>>44360148
Hate can come in the form of Kataki or something else, so not really. What the balls dude, you have a made Affinity deck and you are skipping on the sideboard?

Let me guess, you have "budget" affinity with no ravegers, inkmoths or opals.
>>
>>44360171
It, not I. Time for me to go to bed.
>>
>>44360171
Kataki I can handle if I'm playing the Red version.

>>44360174
No I got the full deck, I'm just been extremely lazy to get two thoughtseizes from my friend
>>
>>44360174
Not that guy but GODDAMN! I did not realize how expensive Ravager is.

>>44360203
If you can handle the creature threats, then go to town I suppose.
>>
>>44359971
>Magic has become all about satisfying Standard now because that is their biggest money maker after casual.

They're making a pretty shitty job then, this standard rotation has been remarkably boring, and for the first time I'm seeing every LGS in my city to migrate towards modern. Some weeks there aren't even enough standard players to make a FNM happen.
>>
>>44360272
I've also noticed a downward trend in standard lately. Granted, my LGS seems to be trending towards legacy rather than modern (modern actually is doing worse off than standard).
>>
>>44360272
This

My lgs has resorted to only drafts and modern
>>
>>44360203
>>Kataki I can handle if I'm playing the Red version.
A single upkeep with Kataki can be backbreaking, especially if you have one of those good opening hands where you are left hellbent on the first 2-3 turns. If you are sure you can deal with him consistently EOT, then go ahead but as someone that uses him in the side of my main deck I can say that the number of times he get's Galvanic'd before the upkeep are in the 10% and lower range.

>>44360272
I can agree with this, my shop went from 1 modern night and 2+FNM type2 nights to 2+FNM modern nights and 1 type2 night.
>>
>>44360139
>Unburial Rites, Delver, Resto Angel
Fringe deck, eternal whipping-boy, and declined in play, respectively. But point taken, it's just that Tiago would have made your case better.
>shockland reprints, skullcrack, abrupt decay, counterflux
Reprints shouldn't count, but crack, decay, and a sideboard card for UR are decent
>Theros block saw another reprint in >Thoughseize, Anger of the Gods, Ashiok, Eidolon of the Great Revel, Mana Confluence
Reprint, fair play, fair play, and I've never seen Confluence played above FNM.
>enemy fetchlands
Plus the shit that either got banned or got a deck banned.
>Vryn's Prodigy, Archangel of Thune, painland reprints, Chord of Calling, and various support to push elves and goblins in modern.
Shitty meme, the deck that played it died for Siege Rhino's sins, more reprints, and shit that didn't push elves or goblins to any greater playability than what they already had.

It's been REALLY hit or miss for Modern since Innistrad, but recently there have been far more misses than hits.
>>
>>44360203
Get the thoughtseizes now while they're cheap
>>
>>44360371
>I've never seen Confluence played above FNM.
Amulet plays it a lot, but mostly it's good in really fast combo decks. Unfortunately the turn 4 rule kinda makes it so a fetch/shock manabase is more efficient overall.
>>
>>44360416
It's not about the money, it's about going to see a friend who we both have different work schedules.
>>
>>44360139
>>44360371

Khans block also gave us Monastery Swiftspear, Bananaman, Monastery Mentor (legacy playable), Atarka's Command, Dromoka's Command, Kolaghan's Command, Collected Company, Ugin, Sorin, Solemn Visitor

It had a pretty good chunk of modern playable cards.
>>
>>44360371
>Tiago
Shit, how could I forget him?
>Reprints shouldn't count
But they should, as reprints in Standard (as compared to MM) do affect prices and make some cards much more accessible, thus making some decks more accessible and thus making some formats more accessible
>Confluence
DESU, it is kinda fringe. Used in some decks that need alot of colors without alot of the more expensive fixing (the usual assortment of fetch/shocks)
>Shitty meme
Hell, and I thought that was supposed to be rhino. XD

>>44360494
I remembered Mentor, but left him out since he's more of a legacy card and I was jut listing off things for modern. You got me on the rest except for one of em.

What deck plays that version of Sorin?
>>
Am I the only person fine with not getting more new modern playable cards? I like the format to change every once in a while, but adding more and more shit every set is bound to make the format shitty after a certain point.
>>
>>44360722
The point of this thread was OP complaining about the lack of modern playable cards in new sets. From their point of view, nothing new is getting added to the format, so perhaps they haven't seen much change in it.

I'm >>44360139, so there's my stance on the matter. More stuff is definitely getting in, and most of those are stuff that's been tested and approved. Not even gonna go into the amount of fringe decks like Jeskai Ascendancy storm or Nettle Drone combo that actually are pretty bad.

But at no point do I think adding more cards is ever going to shit up the format. The crap will be weeded out by anybody who wants to win, which is almost everyone. Doesn't matter if the next set is entirely playable in modern or the next dozen fail to produce, you're still gonna see people playing what works 99% of the time. The other 1% is gonna be random shit from people trying to be the next big innovator.

I mean, look at legacy. Do you consider it a shitty format? I suppose that would explain why you think more cards is bad.
>>
File: 1446215737121.jpg (8 KB, 449x440) Image search: [Google]
1446215737121.jpg
8 KB, 449x440
>>44360722
For me, I'd rather they keep from making too many format staples as they tend to make the format bland
>oh you're playing blue? You better play these 10 cards no exceptions etc
I'd like if they added new more complex cards with unique interactions that beg to be built around or at least require some sort of commitment in your build. I want modern playables, not modern staples/format defining cards. Think of shit like stoneforge (with batterskull and swords) or snapcaster. Both are absurdly powerful and can be fit into any deck running those colors with minimal investment or commitment to them and automatically make said decks better. I'm glad they banned stoneforge. I wish they would revisit old archetypes that have fallen out of favor and make some new cards that can breathe new life into them.

>>44360322
One of the LGS's I go to has been seeing less and less players lately. We're trying to recruit lingering and bored standard players into getting into modern and hopefully get some of the others that already stopped coming if they see modern events kicking off consistently.

So what is everyone bringing to the table each week /tg/? I'm building a cute faerie deck that is almost done.
>>
>>44360862
>So what is everyone bringing to the table each week /tg/? I'm building a cute faerie deck that is almost done.
I both have Soul Norin and Mono-G Belcher, because I'm a fucking boss. Belcher is awful but a blast to play so fuck you.
>>
>>44360862
>So what is everyone bringing to the table each week /tg/? I'm building a cute faerie deck that is almost done.
Scapeshift.
>>
>>44360862
>modern-playable build-arounds
Hell yeah. The problem is people don't like to take risks. Both creators and players. Creators taking risks get us stuff like Treasure Cruise. Players get shit on and lose or give us stuff like Amulet Bloom occasionally.

>>44360902
Since standard is the weekly at my LGS, it's Abzan Aggro.

Most recent event has has been legacy however, and I used it as an opportunity to switch from my usual (Elves) into Nic Fit (with white instead of the usual red).

I have a storm deck build for modern, but it's kinda meh and easily derailed as is the usual case with storm. Thinking about building elves since I have all the pieces and don't wanna invest too much into modern (it's just not popular enough locally).
>>
>>44360862
>So what is everyone bringing to the table each week /tg/?
I'm building U/R Skred but it's kinda looking like a frankenstein of twin and delver
>>
>>44360602
B/W Tokens plays Sorin
>>
The price of scalding tarn is criminal
>>
>>44360494

Dont forget the 5/5 Zombie fish with Delve. That shit is always played in most formats.
>>
Newfag here
I've been playing Magic since beggining of 2015. I decided to try the modern format so I bought a Modern Event Deck at 50$ (the last one in my LGS's counter). How good is it? Can I win FNMs with it?
>>
>>44362397
You won't win FNMs with it without updating it and adding to it.

It's a good base for a deck known as B/W Tokens, which is a decent Tier 2 deck.
>>
>>44362434
So did I fuck it up? was it not worth buying it?
How much money should I invest to make the deck good?
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-12-15-modern-dt/

Trying to make a decent death and taxes, how does this look?
>>
>>44362510
You only fucked up if you intended to win with the deck 100% as-is without making any modifications to it. If you want to play B/W tokens, then the purchase was a good springboard towards that goal.
>>
>>44360371
>>44360139
rhino did not get pod banned. pod getting banned was just a matter of time as wizards will keep printing undercosted but pushed creatures. there was no option other then ban pod.
>>
>>44362434
It went 4-0 at an FNM I went at so it's not the worst thing ever. You're gonna want to upgrade it, like everyone else is saying. I wouldn't feel bad about taking it straight to FNM with no changes, though.
>>
>>44362510
No you didn't fuck up. It's a good base but to be as good as a Black/White Tokens deck can be you're gonna need to add cards to it.

Look up tokens on mtgtop8 here http://mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=219&meta=101&f=MO

And compare.

You'll need to update it with cards like Bitter Blossom, Sorin, Solemn Visitor, Timely Reinforcements, Thoughtseize, etc etc
>>
Alright, so in two weeks I am Going to a modern "Tournament" for the first time since I started playing again, having last seriously played in Kamigawa and only started up again in November. I know these guys, they are all fantastic players, way above my skill level. I know there is going to be a Grixis Control, USA Control, UG Undying Aggro, and some other equally skilled players who are building something specifically for the Tournament.

I was wondering if anybody had any primers or something else to read about Modern deck building? I am pretty sure I am going to get slaughtered, but I'd really like to try to win a few games, if not matches. As far as my Card Base, I mostly have some Mirrodin, lots of Kamigawa, then some Khans Block (mostly Dragons) and some BfZ, so any other deck building tips or suggestions which sets to mostly draw from would be greatly appreciated.
>>
Is norin sisters even T2 anymore?
>>
>>44363121
Literally never was. It was flavor of the month once but that's it.
>>
>>44363121
It never was tier 2, unless you are using the mistaken belief that tier 2 means "Deck I like that isn't tier 1 aka burn/affinity/BGx/Twin."
>>
>>44363121
It's so bad. The combo barely comes together and soul sisters is actually strong stop just run that
>>
I want more vintage playables. Mentor and dark petition were excellent toys for us
>>
just impulse-bought that RG titanshift deck, how fucked am I?
>>
>>44359111
>I hope [new set] has some playables

Hasn't held true for a long time. The only set with a number of playables was Khans because 1) fetchlands, and 2) broken cards.
>>
>>44364652
It's not like most of the pieces don't fit in other decks, so assuming Scapeshift and Titan Bloom are decks you (or someone you can trade with) want to at some point build then you are only mildly fucked.
>>
>>44364735
thanks. I already have bloom built and I figured I could play this while acquiring fetches and snaps for actual scapeshift and then from there build toward twin.
>>
>>44364683
There are playables in every set. Just not Tier 1 threats all the time and not always money rares.

FRF: Ugin, Tasigur, Angler, Outpost Siege
DTK: Commands, Company, Volley, Dromoka, Ojutai, Roast
ORI: Jace, PK, Shaman, Harbinger, Dwywen's Elite, Sylvan Messenger, Krasis, Hangarback
>>
>>44365122
Right, BFZ

BFZ: Gideon, Battlelands, Part the Waterveil, Coralhelm, Painful Truths, Strangler, Herder, Sower (these are debatable: the Eldrazi decks are all garbage but they're seeing play), Crumble, Ulamog, BTL
>>
>>44365122
>FRF
Ugin goes in 1 deck, delve was a mistake, Outpost Siege lel.
>DTK
Sure there's some stuff there, but all it did is serve to buff existing decks anyway.
>ORI
I'll give you Jace but that's it.
>>
>>44365184
Put the goalpoasts back
>>
>>44365234
You can't just ignore my post, list cards, and act like I'm moving the goalposts.
>>
>>44361364
I agree.
>tfw building Twin
I just need the Tarns, Rainforests, and Snapcasters still
Which is a shit load of money but I'm still slowly picking up pieces
>>
>>44365250
The fact that a card goes in one deck, or has a mechanic that was a mistake, or only buffed existing decks does not change the fact that they are cards that are being played in modern.

Since we were talking about cards that are playable in modern, I think I can say you're moving goalposts.
>>
>>44365250
>these cards are played in modern
>but because of my arbitrary decision they don't count
fuck off already. Hangarback gets more play than new Jace, and the Krasis might be buffing RUG twin more than we know yet.
>>
>>44365253
Just play off colored fetches for a few years till they get reprinted. Sucks but it won't kill you. That's what I'm doing till I re collect the Zen fetches.
>>
>>44365410
Eh I'm fine dropping the money on it. It'll probably just be another month till the deck is finished. I already have burn to play until it's complete so I'm in no rush. It'll just be enjoyable to have two tier 1 decks to play at FNM and at the upcoming large tournament in Spring, there's going to be about 250 people at a Modern tournament in the spring I think hosted by Star city. I'll be bringing Twin to that.
>>
>>44365410
You play Jund in paper right? Do you have the full set of Verdant Catacombs? Goyfs?
>>
>>44362838
If you want us to help you then maybe you should post the kind of deck you have and not what sets you've bought cards from.
>>
>>44365557
Good shit. Good luck! Hopefully you do better than I did at scg

>>44365847
I really stupidly traded away all but one of my Cats a few months before I started building Jund. Feels really dumb man. But I do have my goyfs.
>>
>>44365885
Thanks. It's not for a few months so I have that time to bite the bullet and buy the staples.
Also I'd recommend picking up the three catacombs. I don't think a reprint will happen for a while. They improve the deck. Is it already finished? List?
>>
>>44365977
It is finished. I'll post a list when I get home. Also I would but I just spent like 200 plus finishing Twin so I gotta cut down on the magic spending right now.
>>
>>44359971
Modern is full of faggots anyway, play legacy/vintage
>>
>>44365165
the only cards putting up results are the battlelands and maybe painful truths, but I'm not sold on it yet
>>
>>44365996
>>44366364
No one plays Legacy in my entire town so I'll pass
>>
File: Image(1).jpg (28 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image(1).jpg
28 KB, 223x310
Anyone here play Pauper?
My store is going to try running a pauper FNM tournament.
No ban list so I'm going to sleeve up Storm.
>>
>>44367029
I play on MTGO, I'd like to get a scene started at my local store but nobody seems interested.
>>
>>44367029
>storm is legal
absolutely disgusting

please report results
>>
>>44367029
I play on MODO, Temur Tron. Fun stuff. They tried Pauper at my lgs but it didn't go super hot
>>
>>44367133
Technically on mtgo it's banned because empty the warrens and grapeshot are. However for the first opening trial week it's just going by no ban list.
>>
>>44363705
Give me a petrified field with dredge 7 and I'll be happy
>>
>>44366364
>play legacy/vintage
There's no legacy/vintage within 300 miles of where I live.
>>
File: 3120184903[1].png (28 KB, 599x298) Image search: [Google]
3120184903[1].png
28 KB, 599x298
apparently the people at my LGS think this deck is tier0 because I bring extra cards for the sideboard and switch them in and out based on what I see (kor firewalkers when everyone's on burn, shattering spree when affinity comes to town, aura of silence against that one bogles player)

is my meta just shit, or is this deck actually good?
>>
>>44368110
It seems like you're just boarding properly. Your deck does look fun though, I'd like to run something like it when I've got more cash to burn.
>>
>>44367675
If you look you'll find it, they're very rewarding formats
>>
>>44368416
>if you look you'll find it
I know the owner of the largest game store in Phoenix. He says he used to host Legacy but no one showed up and that he knows of not a single game store in the entire valley who has legacy tournaments except for very large ones very occasionally at his store. So please stop lying out of your ass. Also legacy and vintage are not rewarding formats, they are blue dominated pay to win garbage formats that no one plays anymore and rightfully so.
>>
>>44368386
>when I've got more cash to burn

It's $600 to buy the whole lot from TCGP, but if you wanna save some cash, here's a few ways:
>Replace enemy fetchlands with allied ones ($50 saved)
>Replace 4 Tseize with two more IOK and 2 Duress ($45 saved)
>Replace Dark Confidant with Night's Whisper ($105 Saved)
>Replace Monastery Mentor with Blade Splicer ($60 saved)

That brings it down to just under $350 which for modern is SUPER budget. And you're still able to beat a lot of people if you know how to properly pilot the list.
>>
>>44368416
Even Pauper is more rewarding then Legacy. Sorry that no one has money for your $250 dual lands. Hell even Goyf in this format is pushing it for a single. It's your fault that no one plays Legacy anymore Legacu cks. You guys should have decried the reserved list but now it's too late.
>>
>>44368110
You should try Painful Truths
>>
>>44368654
Jesus Christ what's got your knickers in a twist?
Legacy has the most interesting interactions, and the most interesting decision trees.

Pauper feels competitively bland, with all of the decks having pretty simple lines. Not having most of the complicated cards is not necessarily fun for a format.
>>
>>44362588
Looks pretty good anon.

A few things:
I'm a big fan of 4 Thalia main, she's the best T2 play we have. The legendary rule almost never matters because she is such a high priority target.

I don't like Restoration Angel in DnT. It always seemed slow and clunky in practice even if the ETB abuse looks good on paper. Cut them for something cheaper. Same goes for O-Ring. It's a good catch all SB choice, but to slow for the main.

I place of these I would run 3 Dryad Militant, Thalia, and another 3 drop of your choice. It could even be Mangara if you want to get spicy.

Definitely run 2 Spellskites somewhere in the 75. It's one of the best SB cards in Modern, and can even be maindeck worthy as a 1 of.

The rest of the SB is kinda meta dependant, but our worst MUs are mono color creature strategies like Elves and Merfolk, so I always pack Sunlance, and Burrenton Forge tender for Tron and SB Anger of the Gods.
>>
>>44368772
play it instead of Confidant, or cut something else?

I really hadn't thought that much about it, but it is an almost automatic draw 3 in this deck.
>>
>>44368908
Maybe as just a one or two of somewhere. I don't know what you think works for you and what doesn't but with you lacking the cantrips and cards like snapcaster and flip jace to reuse spells you might need something a little extra help dig for your answers.

Though with the Confidants that would be a shit ton of self life loss, especially if you ever need to fetch+shockland yourself.
>>
>>44362588
That 4 of Stony Silence in the sideboard I assume is for affinity.

I'd turn 1 or 2 of them into Kataki's. Kataki and Stony Silence out should almost shut him down completely.
>>
>>44369146
Diverse sideboard options give you more game in multiple matchups
>>
>>44369237
Both are great in that if they don't have turbo explosive opening a turn 2 of either should be like forcing them into a brick wall
>>
>>44367029
Another MTGO player here, U/R Delver Fiend and Familiars.
>>
>>44368654
There is literally only one $250 dual land, Underground Sea. If you don't like it, don't play U/B (or just don't play Underground Sea). You have Merfolk, Elves, Miracles, Burn, various Show and Tell variants, Nic Fit, Delver, Jund, and Lands to name a few decks that don't need Underground Sea.
>>
>>44370078
Are you forgetting volcanic island?
>>
>>44370353
If you aren't trying to pimp your deck you can get Volcs for like, $150.
>>
>>44370353
He is, but bayou/plateau/scrubland/savannah are cheaper and can make good decks, but the lack of brainstorm makes it harder to outplay your opponent
>>
File: IMAG0244.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0244.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2560
Repping Hideaki Takamura
>>
File: IMAG0245.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0245.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2560
>>
>>44360862
I'm bringing CoCo Slivers these days, but I'm relatively new to the deck so I still need to tune it. A friend is building UR Shared Fate that can side into Twin so I'm looking to borrow that sometime once he gets it done.
>>
I'm having an argument with a friend over how Instants work.

He uses War Report. War Report is supposed to heal him for like 24 or so health.

I play False Cure, which turns his 24 health into 48 damage.

He claims that this doesn't take effect because I have to play False Cure BEFORE he plays a card that heals him, not after. I say it resolves because Instants go on the stack.

Am I wrong or is he just assmad and retarded?
>>
>>44371235
It does not matter when you CAST the spell, but when the spell RESOLVES.

If False Cure resolves first, then War Report kills him.

If War Report resolves first, then False Cure doesn't do anything to it.

So you're right. He could save himself by perhaps playing two more War Reports in response to the False Cure.
>>
>>44371264
In that situation how would War Report resolve first? Is there a way I could fuck up and let War Report resolve before I play False Cure? I don't want anything to slip by because this guy's a cunt.
>>
>>44371295
War Report could resolve first if he casts it in response to your False Cure.

For example,

He casts War Report
You respond with False Care
He casts a second and third War Report

So two War Reports resolve, healing him. False cure resolves. The first War Report finally resolves, damaging him.

...So to answer your question, you got him good and he's being a bitch. If you're worried about him resolving a War Report in response to your False Cure, consider the mana he has open and the odds that he actually has another War Report or other instant speed lifegain in hand.
>>
>>44371321
Fucking fantastic. I made a B/W deck with heal hate and extort, and we've been arguing about rules ever since.
>>
>>44371343
I recommend you guys read up on the stack and priority. Or at least he should; it seems you've got a grasp of it, you just doubt your own understanding.
>>
>>44371374
I tend to do that. Thanks anon, a second opinion is exactly what was needed here.
>>
Name a deck that crushes Jund and Twin that isn't Merfolk. Doesn't have to be tier 1.
>>
>>44371483
UW crushes Jund
>>
File: vizkopa-guildmage.jpg (58 KB, 210x297) Image search: [Google]
vizkopa-guildmage.jpg
58 KB, 210x297
If I have multiple Guildmages on the battlefield and I activate their second abilities individually, do they trigger individually? As in if I gain 5 life, the enemy would take 10 damage?
>>
>>44371707
Yes.
However you don't even need multiple Guildmages, you can use one multiple times.
>>
>>44371835
That's fucking baller
>>
>>44366290
Inquisition won't be reprinted because it would be the only colored Eldrazi card in the whole block you fucking tard
>>
>>44371884
>Devoid cards
>Not coloured

Yeah just look how fucking relevant being colourless is holy shit my GOD the relevance is mind blowing what have Wizards done to standard it's so crazy holy shiiiiiiiiiiiit.
>>
>>44372368
Just you wait, maybe Wizards will turn it around in the end by introducing some sort of really broken lands to finally support them. Something like:

{T}: Add <> to your mana pool. You may use this mana as mana of any color if used to cast a colorless spell and activate the abilities of colorless permanents.
>>
>>44372471
A card like this but shit was already spoiled,
http://mythicspoiler.com/ogw/cards/devoidland.html
>>
>>44370353
Indeed, I did forget Volcanic Island. Sorry about that. At least there's still 7 of those 9 decks I listed that still don't need them.

>>44370370
There's alot of cheap duals if you aren't concerned about quality. XD
>>
>>44372556
Goddamn it Wizards, you had one job.
>>
Just got my delvers
what's the weirdest delver varient that one can make?
>>
Do you guys think Bloom Titan will get banned in anyway?
>>
>>44372905
No, it's too inconsistent and folds to hate. Sure you get the random turn 2 kills, but the majority of plays are gonna have it either taking too long to set up or folding to disruption.

Simply put, it won't win enough to warrant a ban.
>>
>>44372980
Wow, I just realized that first line was me repeating myself. Time for bed.
>>
>>44372471
>"We're changing to 2 set blocks so we don't have the problem we had with Theros where the interesting mechanics came out too late."
>"And here, long after you care, is the mechanic making devoid relevant."

Oh Wizards you so crazy with your blatant cash grabbing lies.
>>
>>44372980
>tier 1
>folds majority of games
What?
>>
>>44359111

Some of the cards, especially the lands are decently playable.

For instance Crumbling Vestige is actually something that can go into Amulet Bloom, almost functionally like a Tendo Ice Bridge but can be used with Amulet of Vigor triggers. World Breaker I can see being tested somewhere in RG Tron because being able to drop down a 5/7 with reach that can exile almost any permanent ala Karn Liberated except now you have a gigantic body that can come back. Obviously played with Crucible of Worlds and you will never run out of lands.

I'm honestly wondering if Mirrorpool could see some play in some Storm decks in Modern, Legacy or Vintage. Being able to copy an extra Tendrils in Legacy or Vintage could be interesting. As would being able to copy a Gush.
>>
>>44373613
Mirrorpool lets you counter their counter spell with a land. The mana is hefty but the reward is big. Especially with Sun Titan.
>>
>>44373719
Read the card ffs. Every single spoiler season.
>>
>>44373719

Mirrorpool only works on your own stuff. I mean sure you could copy your own counterspell with it in response to theirs but that's about it. Much better to just copy a strong instant or sorcery again though, especially if it has Storm or is an X spell with a hefty amount of mana pumped into it.
>>
>>44373757
copies of cards with storm don't have storm
>>
>>44373613
>>44373719
just face it kid, being competitive and having fun will never work.

and mirrorpool will always be a shit card that will never see play, i will eat a hat if it makes it into a tier deck in modern
>>
>>44373613
>copy a spell
>storm
>gee i'm glad a spent 4 mana and tapped this new fangled land of mine to add a whopping 1 copy of my spell :^)
>>
File: image.jpg (5 KB, 140x140) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5 KB, 140x140
>>44359111
Pulled a archangel of thune this morning in boosters anything worth putting together with her
>>
Asked in the standard general, but that threadis as dead as the format, so I'm asking here.

At pre-release, are you able to purchase new product too? Will I be able to cop a box or two of Oath at the PR events?
Thanks fellas.
>>
>>44373952
No, you only get the prerelease box which is a promo card + 6 boosters.
>>
>>44373952
Only if you've got a sketchy LGS
>>
>>44373952
>>44373977
Ah gotchya, figured as much.I doubt my LGS would risk it. What's the general consensus on small shops selling product early? Walmarts do it all the time, seems only fair that LGS's do so as well to compete with them/online retailers.
>>
>>44374091
LGS actually risk punishment from WotC by selling shit early.

Wizards sells so many fucking packs at Walmart they probably don't give a shit what Walmart does.
>>
>>44374091
>walmarts do it all the time
they really don't, because if anyone catches them then they lose the rights to sell magic, straight up. Same applies to any store that sells early.

At the pre-release up until the launch day, they're only allowed to sell the pre-re boxes and intro decks
>>
>>44372902
Modern RUG/Temur delver is fun

Stolen from:
http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-cheon-modern-rug-delver/

Lands1x Forest3x Island1x Breeding Pool4x Misty Rainforest4x Scalding Tarn2x Steam Vents1x Stomping Ground2x Wooded Foothills

Creatures4x Delver of Secrets // Insectile Aberration4x Tarmogoyf2x Snapcaster Mage4x Hooting Mandrills

Spells4x Gitaxian Probe4x Serum Visions1x Spell Snare3x Stubborn Denial4x Thought Scour4x Lightning Bolt2x Mana Leak1x Deprive2x Simic Charm1x Electrolyze2x Disrupting Shoal
Sideboard1x Rending Volley3x Ancient Grudge2x Pyroclasm1x Roast3x Blood Moon3x Huntmaster of the Fells // Ravager of the Fells2x Dispel
>>
At my LGS the owner let us open our BFZ boxes a day early after closing hours :^}
>>
>>44374178
....why not sultai delver now that I think of it?

All the delve, all the cheapo undercosted creatures, or is the disynergy between Snappy and delve 2strong?
>>
>>44374116
>>44374116
They actually do though. They've been particularly bad with Pokemon TCG in the last year or so. It's basically because of what >>44374101 said. They aren't going to stop supplying those large stores, so it's only the LGSs that cop the bans. Shit is lame
>>
>>44374238
http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/sultai_delver_with_adam_fronse.html
Sultai delver is rad too
>>
>>44371235
False cure only creates an end result of life lost equal to life that was supposed to be gained, and the life gain still happens first. He would gain 24, and then lose 48 for a net loss of 24.
>>
File: akari 4.png (352 KB, 686x576) Image search: [Google]
akari 4.png
352 KB, 686x576
What is the most skill-intensive modern deck /tg/?
>>
>>44374389
RUG Loam ;^)
>>
>>44374389
The deck I play. Least is all the decks I don't play.
>>
>>44374062
WoTC explicitly allows for pickup of preordered product at prerelease events.
>>
>>44374253
If Walmart is caught settling before the street date there are huge fines they have to pay to Hasbro, it's literally breach of contract.
>>
>>44374389
Lantern Control/Amulet Bloom
>>
>>44374444
Contracts with your largest customers are always far more lenient than usual.
>>
>>44373915

It basically functions as an extra storm copy if you're short for a lethal Tendrils or whatnot.
>>
>>44373877

I'm aware of that, but sometimes you fuck up and you're one bit short for a lethal storm count and this just adds that one extra.
>>
>>44374688
If Storm has 4 mana to spare, it is not short on storm count.
>>
http://i.imgur.com/sm0ji4V.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SB69x1k.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tDFk9eU.jpg

?
>>
File: fresh leaks.png (15 KB, 1581x225) Image search: [Google]
fresh leaks.png
15 KB, 1581x225
>>44374759
I have rare leaks for everyone
>>
>>44374759
Wow it's nothing
>>
>>44374759
See >>44374959
And besides, notice the Effective Date 2015 in the first picture.
>>
>>44374959
>UR MOM is banned

How will this affect the format? I think this is possibly the buff Jund needed.
>>
>>44374389
Amulet Bloom. It's like affinity in that you need to understand a whole lot of sequencing to pilot it even marginally well and it's also actually interactive.
>>
>>44374759
>>44374959
>stoneforge mystic is unbanned
I fucking knew it. I shouldn't have listened to you dumb fucks.
>>
>>44374759
>blood moon banned
not necessarily a bad thing, though it was probably the most fair hoser spell around. (compare to choke, boil, flashfires, etc.) People will slot magus of the moon and soldier on.

>Amulet banned
Ever since it had the FTK on camera in vancouver we knew this was coming.

>Stoneforge unbanned
I don't know how to think about this, but it's never been legal in modern before, and everyone already packs artifact hate for robots. Should be interesting to see what effect she has.
>>
ITT: samefags and idiots
>>
>>44375024
affinity is one of the easiest decks out there to pilot
>>
>>44375089
you'd be surprised how bad some people can fuck it up. And anon didn't even say it was hard, he said it requires a good knowledge of proper sequencing.
>>
>>44374759
>Stoneforge Mystic is no longer banned

Lets all take a minute and reflect on how we voted.
https://www.strawpoll.me/6314497/
>>
>>44375089
Not sure if retarded or trolling
>>
How bad of an idea is it to run flooded strands instead of scalding tarns in grixis delver? I have everything but tarns and snaps and it seems like a fun deck for fnm since my stores not hyper competitive and I feel bad playing infect there. Anyone have suggestions for what to run in place of snaps?
>>
>>44375155
It's not real you tard, it was taken from some fag on reddit. Read where it says 2015 effective date.
>>
>>44375167
it is literally just shit out your hand and but cranial plating on a thing and win. The only decks I'd say are easier are boggles and red decks wins. murfolk is a on a very similar level.
>>
>>44375365
>murfolk is a on a very similar level
Merfolk has a lot of different lines depending on the boardstate and matchup.
>>
Came up with this Mono Green Stompy list on the back of a napkin last night after Xmas eve dinner.

Deck seems like it would be fun as fuck. Any thoughts/improvements?

Posting here because I don't trust you fuckers to click on an outside link to a decklist, nor do I trust you to read this but w/e.

24x Creatures
4x Dryad Militant
4x Experiment One
4x Strangleroot Geist
2x Kalonian Tusker
4x Avatar of the Resolute
2x Scavenging Ooze
1x Dungrove Elder
3x Leatherback Baloth

11x Instants
4x Aspect of Hydra
4x Vines of Vastwood
3x Dismember

4x Enchantments
4x Rancor

21x Lands
20x forest
1x Treetop Village

15x SB
2x Creeping Corrosion
3x Feed the Clan
2x Unravel the Aether
2x Relic of Progenitus
2x Choke
2x Pithing Needle
1x Bow of Nylea
1x Gut Shot
>>
>>44375421
What exactly did you come up with?

This is just a standard stompy list
>>
>>44375391
only way I've ever seen merfolk played is
>shit out hand
>spreading seas
>hit you in the face really hard

sure it has some cards like harbinger of the tides and cursecatcher that require a small amount of thought to use but it is still really simple.
>>
>>44375467
Sure, but it's nowhere near as "braindead" as Affinity. You have actual interaction.
>>
>>44375487
Ok I have to agree with you there.
>>
>>44375430
I made some choices...
>>
>>44375183
It's not undoable but it really hurts when you need to fetch a basic mountain turn one.
Also snaps are pretty much unreplacable. They're too good.
>>
>>44371707
Exquisite Blood and Sanguine Bond are almost entirely broken, just gain one life and you win the game
>>
>>44375642
>Exquisite Blood and Sanguine Bond are almost entirely broken
Please stop.
>>
>>44375183
>How bad of an idea is it to run Flooded Strands instead of Scalding Tarns in Grixis Delver?

Burn gets a lot worse, but your still losing by playing delver and not grixis control.
>>
>>44370078
>Nic Fit

what if I want to play BUG Pod

I know its bad in legacy but I just like podding glen elendra into thragtusk into grave titan
>>
>>44371483
I play Esper and I can consistently beat both decks.

4 Celestial Colonnade
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Watery Grave
3 Island
2 Plains
2 Drowned Catacomb
4 Path to Exile
4 Esper Charm
3 Supreme Verdict
2 Sphinx's Revelation
2 Snapcaster Mage
4 Flooded Strand
3 Polluted Delta
2 Ghost Quarter
4 Think Twice
1 White Sun's Zenith
4 Spell Snare
4 Logic Knot
3 Cryptic Command
1 Mystical Teachings
1 Shambling Vent
1 Godless Shrine
1 Go for the Throat
1 Leyline of Sanctity
SB: 2 Stony Silence
SB: 2 Celestial Purge
SB: 3 Thoughtseize
SB: 1 Baneslayer Angel
SB: 1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
SB: 1 Consume the Meek
SB: 1 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
SB: 2 Runed Halo
SB: 2 Rest in Peace
>>
>>44371483
Tron is super favored against Jund and now is even favored against Twin
>>
>>44371483
Honestly my RUG Loam has a pretty good matchup against both. They can't Twin in the face of Vortex and 2 land, and Vortex stops their beatdown plan in an uncounterable way. As for Jund, they need creatures on the board to win, which is fine for me because I can throw land at them.
>>
>>44375739
list? I miss pod in modern and I'd probably play legacy if I could play pod again
>>
>>44375667

No way, u mad bro?
>>
>>44375779
I'm getting the impression you're just awful.
You're constantly saying how this deck and that deck beats jund, one of the strongest builds.
>>
>>44375875
Have you ever seen Tron v Jund? Tron preys on midrange, and it doesn't get more midranged than Jund. And now with Ugin it's even hard to swarm and overwhelm. Junds 50/50ish against most of the board but there are just some decks that eat it up.
>>
>>44375576
I get what you're saying but when am I fetching basic mountain turn 1?
>>
>>44375875
It's like universally accepted that tron shits all over jund
>>
>>44375960
Against burn usually, wanna kill that t1 goblin guide or swiftspear early without taking too much damage.
>>
>>44375986
If my t1 play against burn is flooded strand, go, I'll get basic plains and path their guide after the trigger
>>
>>44376067
You run paths in grixis delver? Because that's the context I'm talking about it in.
>>
>>44375986
Right. I keep forgetting burn is a deck bc no one plays it here. I wish they did though. I'd bust out bloom again. Too much blue here for that :c
>>
>>44375365
Someone has never played with ravager
>>
Could ral zarek see play in modern? Maybe as a 2 of in some u/r list?

He's kinda like a worse ajani vengeant for blue
>>
>>44376086
I just meant in the context of decks I play, sorry
>>
>>44375365
the worst part is waiting for them to count their artifact with playing.

>precombat main count all your artifacts
>start to animate a nexus, decide against it
>count artifact again
>animate nexus
>count artifacts
>attack
>count artifacts

why are affinity players so dumb?
>>
>>44376087
Come to my meta where burn and zoo are super popular. Blue doesn't see a whole lot of play but when it does its weird not twin stuff

>>44376109
Id rather run a Keranos

>>44376123
It's cool, if I was running UW id do the same thing.
>>
>>44373613
Tapping 4 lands to add a copy of a spell is not playable in eternal formats. Playing a ciptapped land is also awful
>>
>>44376136
Because you have open mana and going all in isn't an easy decision
>>
>>44376157
they ALWAYS end up doing it though.
>>
>>44376141
>Id rather run a Keranos
Me too. That's why I've been running a one of. I almost want to run more because I get to 5 easily and he really is just so damn good. I never lose if he drops
>>
>>44376141
>Come to my meta where burn and zoo are super popular. Blue doesn't see a whole lot of play but when it does its weird not twin stuff

you can tune UWx to not be awful vs. burn/zoo, it just looks weird compared to UWx tuned for an open metagame
>>
>>44376109
I took 3 extra turns with him and still hadn't won. It was then I had to rethink my deck
>>
>>44376276
Aren't leyline and supreme verdict pretty standard for UWx?
>>
What's the most dank meme in modern right now?
>>
>>44376494
I mean, you have maindeck leyline (usually side), some copies of condemn, maindeck kitchen finks/resto, etc.

sideboard you bring in baneslayer against zoo since that's literally unbeatable for them unless they keep path in
>>
>>44376519
Grixis Midrange. Literally a worse Grixis Twin.
>>
>>44376574
I wish they would ban twin. It's so stupid that red/blue control's better option is to jam an oops I win combo into it
>>
>>44376574
Grixis Twin has to play several bad creatures though
>>
>>44376574
This is bait everyone.
>>
>>44376715
Nah, all grixis decks are pretty bad
>>
>>44374389
Tron. Hands down.
You draw a hand of Mine, Plant, Map, Grove, Karn, Stone, Stirrings.
Now answer me this: Do you play the Mine or the Power Plant first? Not so easy is it.
>>
>>44376800
Grixis literally can't beat a t2 rip
>>
>>44376844
This is bait right? Does it really matter which tron land you play first?
>>
>>44376715
He's right though. Grixis is bad and Grixis Midrange is worse than Grixis Twin.
>>
>>44376950
The only one you play last is tower because it makes 3 mana when tron is assembled and would be a priority target.
>>
>>44360862
infect, naya company, restore balance if its mostly bad players
>>
>>44376960
Grixis Twin is a bad UR Twin
>>
could a jund goblins coco deck work? i had a list set up but it seems eh
>>
>>44377185
Post list or we can't judge viability
>>
>>44377185
Probably not. The only reason to play a tribe is because the synergy between the cards counts for more than just playing a raw good card. Goblins don't really have that.
>>
flooded strand grixis delver guy back. posting list to see what people think. It's literally "I had all these cards lying around" and if I enjoy playing this I'll work on getting snaps and tarns, which should only take ~2 months.

4 delver
2 young peezy
2 tassy
3 angler
3 tswift
1 rise
2 terminate
1 kommand
4 serum visions
4 bolt
1 forked bolt
4 git probe
4 thought scour
2 spell snare
2 mana leak
2 remand
1 murderous cut
4 polluted delta
4 flooded strand
1 blood crypt
2 steam vents
2 watery grave
1 dragonskull summit
2 island
1 mountain
1 swamp

//

1 engineered explosives
2 dispel
1 rending volley
1 surgical extraction
2 thoughtseize
1 countersquall
2 spellskite
2 sudden shock
1 izzet staticaster
1 keranos
1 anger of the gods
>>
>>44377312
jund goblins

Instant
3 x Nameless Inversion
4 x Lightning Bolt
3 x Collected Company
Sorcery
2 x Inquisition of Kozilek
3 x Thoughtseize
Land
2 x Mountain
1 x Swamp
3 x Auntie's Hovel
2 x Stomping Ground
1 x Forest
4 x Verdant Catacombs
3 x Wooded Foothills
2 x Overgrown Tomb
1 x Bloodstained Mire
2 x Blood Crypt
Creature
2 x Mardu Scout
4 x Goblin Guide
3 x Goblin Bushwhacker
4 x Dark Confidant
4 x Siege-Gang Commander
3 x Warren Instigator
4 x Tarmogoyf
>>
>>44377466
No gobo grenade?
>>
>>44377466
>No 1 copy of Tarfire to pump Goyfs that extra bit harder

Now I KNOW you're a shitter.
>>
>>44377622
added 3 grenade and 1 fire but inversion was already in there you faglord so tribal was still covered
>>
>>44377466
You are missing the point of goblins decks harder than your mom missed her date to the abortion clinic. Goblins is not goodstuff.dec.
>>
>>44377728
>Nameless Inversion
Why in the fuck would you run a terrible card like that when Disfigure exists? And Tarfire is still better because you can point it at face.
>>
>>44377772
Inversion can often be cast on your own goyf is I imagine why.
>>
>>44377861
1 copy is sane then. 3 is asking for dead cards in hand.
>>
>>44377404
me again. should I buy snaps or tarns first? thinking snaps.
>>
>>44375053
Link to FTK?
>>
When does Wizards update modern bans?
>>
>>44378224
Never.
>>
>>44375053
If blood moon gets banned, it well confirm that modern is a format for scrubs
>>
>>44378405
This
>>
>>44378405
if that or amulet gets banned, only people that havent played against amulet bloom complain about it
>>
>>44378627
I like reading the articles that were in favor of amulet being banned and everyone said getting turn 2 Primetime is super consistent and the deck is super un-interactive

I'd feel really bad if the deck gets banned
>>
>>44375467
It can be more than that, having to know when to play lords and play around board wipes. Affinity just dumps and tries to kill as fast as possible, Merfolk needs to know when and where to pull the trigger.
>>
>>44378627
I think it's that, but also people who played against it one time and now rage about it. Like people who play against dredge and don't understand how it works, so they assume it's an invincible combo deck because they don't know how to combat it
>>
>>44378649
who you should feel bad is the Pod players. 11 months later and I still feel like I am recovering from a divorce. Fuck that CoCo bullshit, it isn't consistent in what it gives you and is bad.
>>
I don't get why amulet of vigor would get the ban. hivemind is the only problematic cardin the deck, why axe the whole thing because ONE cards that no other deck plays enables a T1 kill?
>>
>>44378772
You don't think T1 Primeval Titan is stupid? THE PROBLEM MUST BE HIVE MIND XDDD
>>
>>44378784
T1 titan rarely happens and is easy to answer. hivemind pact is the only uninteractive part of the deck you can't counterplay with anything but a counterspell. git gud you fucking shitter
>>
>>44378818
That's like saying Sylvan Primordial should be banned in EDH when Sol Ring/Deadeye are the main reasons it crushes games.
>>
So what will /tg/ do the day Stoneforge gets unbanned?
>>
>>44378886
no, it's nothing like that, they're completely different cards. get your shit ass false equivalencies out of here you fucking scrub. and take your shitty casual format with you.
>>
>>44378899
Sell my stoneforges
>>
>>44378899
Build bug stoneblade.
>>
Alright how do we use the origins flip-walkers to their full potential?
>>
>>44378912
Hive Mind is just a win condition. It's shit on turn 3-4 as you'd expect. The cards that get you there are better bans than the win conditions.
>>
>>44378933
the cards that get you there are what make the deck exist, not the card that can unconditionally kill people just if they're not playing the right colors? you must be some kind of SPECIAL fucking retard. kill yourself.
>>
>>44378933
hivemind almost makes more sense though because its only run in that ine deck
>>
>>44378949
Amulet of Vigor is in more than one deck?
>>
>>44378949
Unlike Amulet, Summer Bloom, Azusa, Sunhome and Stronghold?
>>
>>44370574
>>44370549
horrible quality desu can barely make out the cards name yet alone this pictures
>>
Check these memes

4x Scalding Tarn
3x Wooded Foothills
2x steam vents
2x snow island
9x snow mountain

4x hangarback
1x Keranos
3x stormbreath dragon
2x simian spirit guide

4x koth
2x ral zarek

4x skred
4x bolt
2x izzet charm
2x serum visions
3x Remand
2x tezzeret's gambit
1x magma jet

2x monastery siege
2x blood moon
2x Relic of progenitus
>>
>>44379134
Dear God, what am I looking at
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.