[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 14
File: kozileksreturn.jpg (35 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
kozileksreturn.jpg
35 KB, 265x370
WOTC is incompetent edition.

>What are you playing?
>What are you building?
>Thoughts on the Oath leaks?
>Will pic related see play in Tron?
>>
>>44186392
>What are you playing?
merfolk and several different flavours of failed control
>What are you building?
fine-tuning esper control
the new walkers are good enough to raise an eyebrow, Chandra is too expensive but that nissa is super underrated
no, it's stricktly worse than Pyroclasm for them
>>
>>44186597
>strictly
here we go again
>>
>>44186607
LITERALLY strictly anon

no but really though, tron doesn't gain anything from instant speed and plays two eldrazi creatures that both already wipe the board on resolution
>>
>>44186615
This way you can wipe the board and then exile two lands or something and this also takes out manlands and etched champion
>>
>>44186615
You can't find pyroclasm with ancient stirrings
>>
>>44186643
that's complete winmore. Besides, on turn 3 they want to be casting wurmcoil or karn, not their wrath

>>44186653
this is true but they already run 3-4 plus o-stones
>>
Hey, I have the opportunity to buy the 2011 deckbuilders toolkit for around 30$, is it worth it?
>>
>>44186392

>What are you playing?
Whatever deck I can borrow, still don't have a finished one yet.
>What are you building?
Naya Burn
It looks better than BFZ, still too soon to judge the set overall but I'm liking what I've seen so far.
I'm sure it'll turn up a few builds, not 100% sure it'll stick. But again, I'm new to the format.
>>
>>44186597
Lava spike is a strictly worse bolt
If this doesn't replace pyroclasm in some people's decks, at the *very least* it will be pyroclasm #5 which is good enough for me considering it's a mythic.
If you can t3 a karn you are probably in a good spot and not worrying about them dealing 10 damage to him. A 5th pyro isn't really "win more", it's playing it safe in case you need a t4 karn
>>
>>44186597
>merfolk and several different flavours of failed control
Come over to the dank side.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-07-15-rug-loam-control/
>>
>playing
Mono-blue turns.
Holy shit this deck is bonkers fun for me and zero fun for the opponent.
My win condition is a single awaken land and 2 lil jaces (and elixir of immortality lifegain if that counts)
>>
>>44187831
>Dank
>Not junk
>>
>>44186392
That will absolutely see play in Tron
>>
File: mistbind clique.jpg (34 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
mistbind clique.jpg
34 KB, 200x285
On and off standard player here. Got back into magic a few months ago after a good 4-5 year hiatus. Sadly standard is shit and I see they made a new format called modern. Is u/b faeries a thing in modern or does it have too many bad matchups? I miss them so much but really want to play them. If it's not total shit, anyone have any building tips?
>>
>>44188054
People really want Faeries to be a thing in Modern but it's just not
>>
>>44188054
Not faeries tribal, but depending on what you have you could tweak it into something decent. Maybe try brewing something new, and testing against popular decks.
>>
>>44188087
What is it having trouble with enough to make it not a thing? Like what are its bad matchups?

>>44188118
I don't have much of anything anymore (sold all my stuff years ago when I quit). I have some massive nostalgia though and would love the idea of tweaking it in a new environment and trying to make it work.
>>
I play R/G Tron and I'm gonna test it. The devoid might make the deck more consistent, and the instant speed is nice. I'm not sure if the extra mana is gonna be an issue, but I'll figure it out in Jan. I might just do two and two if it works but still need to wipe on turn 2
>>
>>44186709
Idk what non-core set boosters are included, but it's probably not worth it unless you really want the box or something.
>>
>>44188302
Im with you on this one, the turn two wipe is really important sometimes.
>>
>>44188184
I'm not super familiar bc as anon said, it's not really a deck and so it doesn't see play. But this dude Jeff hoogland just played a grixis faeries deck at the most recent starcity invitational, so you can look up his feature matches on YouTube. Bad matchups are the expected ones for control-leaning decks - burn and other aggro (there's a lot in the format). Also twin seems bad, since it interacts just as much as you, but can win instantly if you let your shields down. Probably shits all over midrange and combo, though.
>>
>>44186392
>What are you playing?
Infect
>What are you building?
Trying to decide between foiling infect and buying into twin
Haven't seen any but they're probably real dumb
There will be a lot of channelfireball streamers playing it in tron on mtgo dailies and hyping it up so they can try to sell it to dumbshits who watch channelfireball streams.
>>
>>44188054
i'll save you the trouble and tell you not to bother. Everything you hate about standard is also in modern.
>>
>>44188537
The only thing I hate about standard is the lack of variety and low power level of nonaggro cards save for jace, and the overall unappealing nature of most of the archetypes currently present.

>>44188412
Thanks man I'll look into it.
>>
>>44188616
So, modern.
>>
>>44188740
>5 mana wraths
>shocks
>no paths/swords
>best black removal is murderous cut which sucks running more than 2
>shit counterspells
Yeah, no. Control is worse in standard than it is in modern. Modern is nowhere near as stagnant as standard right now.
>>
Please use:
>>44184468

For Modern General.

It was forwarded from previous thread.
>>
>>44189040
>doesnt specify its MTG in the subject so it rarely triggers any filters on /tg/
>still more surveys

I think both threads are bad but at least this current one is more noticeable. Searching in the catalog is far inferior than "move threads with MTG in the subject to top".

>but its lazy
You mean efficient.

>just use the word Modern in the filter
Try it yourself. "Modern" isnt MTG exclusive.

>ur butthurt lmao
Yes. I blame the tripfags for every MTG Modern Generals.
>>
>>44189040
Didn't know that thread existed because of reasons
>>44189259
mentioned.
>>
>>44186392
That doesn't feel Mythic at all.

It might see some play, but I think if you're throwing down a big Eldrazi, you're already winning anyways.
>>
>>44190205
>That doesn't feel Mythic at all.
Same, feels like "EH" for so fucking hueg rarity.

Feels like a rare cards top.

Common in my wet dreams. Muh pauper.
>>
File: seagateruins.jpg (38 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
seagateruins.jpg
38 KB, 265x370
>Land
>T: Add â—Š to your mana pool. (â—Š represents colorless mana.)
>2â—Š, T: Draw a card. Activate this ability only if you have no cards in hand.

I think this has a better chance to see play in Tron. You can even stack the effect with multiples out since it only checks hand size when activating the ability.
>>
>>44190363
It won't. The mana base for tron is already drum tight. The 8 eggs in the deck are enough card draw for me. Never really worried about running out of my entire hand before either I won or lost
>>
>>44190859
Eggs aren't necessary in a Tron list. They just provide mana and draw smoothing.

This is pure card advantage. It's more for grindy control matchups. Problem is, Modern doesn't really have those.

Had this come out during Tempest, it would be a slam-dunk 4 of in many decks. But in this day and age? I don't know if it will be played at all.
>>
>>44193772
>Eggs aren't necessary in a Tron list.
Kek, good lucking digging for answers and fixing color for scrying/pyroclasm without them.
>>
>>44186392
>Devoid
>this card counts as colorless

I still can't get over what a fucking awful idea for a mechanic that is.

Imagine if back during Ravnica block they didn't have tons of gold cards and cool ideas like hybrid mana, but instead had a keyword called "Prismatic" and it meant "this card counts as multicolored" and just slapped it on a million monocolored cards and called that a multicolor themed block. THAT'S WHAT DEVOID IS.
>>
>>44193955
That's basically what Alara block was, except they actually put the different mana costs.

I'd have preferred Prismatic rather than harder-to-cast cards that don't make any sense in certain colors.
>>
>>44186658
If you went for turn 2 pyroclasm you wouldn't be able to do a turn 3 karn/wurmcoil as you would need red mana turn 2.
>>
>>44194089
>T1 urza land, star/egg
>T2 Urza land #2, use egg/star for red, Pyroclasm
>T3 Urza land #3, win
>>
>>44188054
Right, I'm a Faeries player and I have been since around the Bitterblossom unbanning.

There are two ways to play Faeries; the grindy Lorwyn control way or the 4 Scion, 4 Image zerg rush way. They both suck. They suck because you lack card draw and truly efficient beaters, it may have been a thing if DTT hadn't got b& but there we go. Turns out Blossom stinks in Modern, who knew right? It's too slow and loses you valuable life as well as netting Goyf two card types and he considers this a rare treat because it's not every day he sees Tribal in a yard. Mistbind is too slow, splats a creature and gives you a worse Serra Angel, go team. Your deck folds to Lingering Souls, about the only deck whose arse you can kick is Control and that's because it has the dubious honour of being the one deck in a meta worse than you.

So classic Faeries is out, I've found the best way to play Faeries is to strip your stupid-ass i-hate-paying-life lands out and go shocks, fetches and drop a third colour in.

You can go Green for Goyf and some draw spells, it works OK but I'm not convinced, it'd be a better deck wihtout the Faeries.

You can go white and go Esper Control, drop your kill spells for Paths, drop the Tarpits for Colonnades and slap in one or two boardwipes for funsies. It's cute and I think it's probably a draw spell away from being viable.

You can slap in Red and go Grixis. This is my current jam, it has 4 Scions, 4 Image, 3 Clique, 4 Spellstutter, 4 Delver, 4 Mutavault, 2 Thoughtseize, 2 Inquisition, 2 Dismember, 11 burn spells (4 Bolt, 4 Rift Bolt, 3 KoKo) and runs 20 lands, no tapped manlands and the Vaults just in there for the 3 or 4 to the face when I have Scions. I like this deck a little more than I like Delver but I think the Spellstutters might be better as Pyromancers, though I like having a chump block and a Bolt counter on a 2 mana card. We'll see. This deck REALLY wants to be Delver though, which is probably a better deck.
>>
>>44194233
>Koko
In the middle of an Aggro deck? Why?
>>
>>44194233
>KoKo
what
>>
>>44194138
I've had that opening against affinity, it feels so good.
>>
File: 1329254683713.jpg (54 KB, 461x523) Image search: [Google]
1329254683713.jpg
54 KB, 461x523
>Grandeur is never coming back

That mechanic is fucking sweet and I wish we'd see more of it
>>
>>44194502
Kolghan's Command works fine in an aggro deck
>>
>>44196504
Some day, when return to Kamigawa happens, it will return. And we will get Zombie Ninja Artifact Creatures too
>>
File: an_glasses.jpg (18 KB, 395x387) Image search: [Google]
an_glasses.jpg
18 KB, 395x387
>>44187804
>Lava spike is a strictly worse bolt
But it's arcane! You can splice stuff onto it!
>>
>>44196636
That's KoCo you idiot.

Koko is a certain 6 mana legendary black Dragon.
>>
>>44187804
>Lava spike is a strictly worse bolt

Can't get dispelled
>>
>>44197302
That would be Koku.
>>
>>44197359
It's nickname is Koko Puffs.
>>
>play against boggles
>they suit up their dude
>Cast runed halo, naming their dude
>boggles player literally starts crying
>>
>>44197384
I mean most boggles players are the five, so its not surprising he started to cry when you shut his deck down, you dick. I hope you feel really good about yourself.
>>
File: Ag5Ehxv.jpg (104 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Ag5Ehxv.jpg
104 KB, 960x720
part1
>>
part2
>>
part3

Love this deck. Forever a jeskai fuccboi
>>
>>44197735
>Only 1 collonade

its literally the best manland in the entire cycle and the main reason to play white in your twin deck.

Timely Reinforcements is a bad and narrow card and you shouldn't play it.

I'd like to see more than 1 Rest in Peace in there. There are a decent amount of fringe decks that can't function without a graveyard. Have you ever played against Grixis with an active RiP? Shits fucking hilarious when you realize their deck without a yard is basically ambush viper, a 6 mana goyf, a strictly worse blightening and merfolk looter

I love the celestial purges though, they're amazing. It makes dealing with Lilliana so much easier.
>>
>>44196666
quads confirm
>>
>>44197862
Just trying to play fewer tapped lands, I guess.

Timely is pretty sweet again aggro decks, dude.
>>
>>44197617
I remember watching a stream recently. Three brothers made Day 2 in a Modern event. One of them was 14 and was playing Grixis. One of them was 12 and was playing Burn. One of them was 10 and was playing Bogles.

It was perfect.
>>
>>44197938
The thing with Timely is the only part you care about is the lifegain. Tokens that aren't flying are irrelevant in modern, which is why Lingering Souls is as powerful as it is. Aggressive decks are built so they can punch past tokens that don't have evasion.

All the aggro decks you care about are going to be dumping their hand t1/t2 and then holding up skullcrack/atarka's command to make sure that lifegain is irrelevant. You don't beat aggro by playing narrow cards, you beat aggro by being lean and efficient and not making dumb errors.

I can understand not wanting a lot of taplands, but the guy that won the GP had 2 of the Collonades in his build, and they're incredible in long games. Can't be bolted, no one plays path anymore, so its terminate or bust.
>>
>>44197862
>Have you ever played against Grixis with an active RiP? Shits fucking hilarious when you realize their deck without a yard is basically ambush viper, a 6 mana goyf, a strictly worse blightening and merfolk looter

Grixis player here, can confirm that Rest in Peace makes me wanna cry, especially since there's that one fucking hatebears player that decides he'll maindeck it.
>>
>>44198398
See anon this is why Grixis Twin is better. Don't go all-in on the graveyard shit, just play the good black cards and RiP isn't that great against you.
>>
>>44187804
>Lava Spike is a strictly worse bolt

Spellskite can't redirect it, retard
>>
>>44197948
>Alara standard PTQ
>some literal child won with a Jund deck his parent bought him
>learned to play Magic 2 weeks prior
And now this. I fucking hate this game.
>>
>>44197948
>Edgy teenagers play Grixis

it fits
>>
I enjoy magic most when everyone just brings their pet brews and we play a mix of multiplayer formats, get drunk, and eat pizza.

What Modern deck would be best for me to take to an FNM?
>>
>>44193955
It's a great mechanic go fuck yourself, been waiting for this shit since Ghost Fire.
>>
Reminder that amulet is the most skill-intensive deck in modern.

Which is why wizards will ban something from it.
>>
>>44198847
Why play modern then? Just play kitchen table or EDH.
>>
>>44198847
UW Tron, perhaps?
>>
>>44198847
Sounds more like you would enjoy casual more than Modern.

Modern is like 3 decks and brews are nonexistent.
>>
>>44199003
>Modern is like 3 deck
Kill yourself.
>>
>>44198884

If you want a colorless spell, just give it a colorless mana cost. Done. Don't just take a colored card with a colored cost and claim it's colorless now because you threw in a fucking keyword.
>>
What kind of enjoyment do people get out of extremely linear decks that are basically playing solitaire?
>>
soo what does /tg/ think of jamming a gifts package into fairies to fix its lategame problem?
>>
>>44196504
Grandeur is a really cool mechanic.
>>
>>44199479
Gifts Ungiven, while powerful, requires a lot of careful deck construction to not turn into a clunky nightmare. If you stick Gifts into any random blue deck, you will probably end up changing the deck to make gifts better, and better, splashing colors and playing specific packages, until you realize you're not playing whatever deck you started with, you're playing a bad 4/5c Gifts deck.

By all means try it, but I don't think it will work out the way you expect.
>>
What's a fun interactive deck to pilot for a new Modern player? Affinity looks like a good time
>>
>>44199779
Affinity is not interactive.
It also gets stale real quick. I'm selling mine after less than 6 months
>>
>>44199779
Affinity isn't very interactive. It's a fun deck, but if you want "fun interaction" you should be looking at UR Twin and Jund.
>>
>>44199806
>>44199805
Oh, well then

I just like artifacts. I'll check out Twin and Jund
>>
>>44199779
That depends what you find fun.

If you're a newer player Affinity should be fine. But if you want more than turning guys sideways, I'd look elsewhere.
>>
>>44199870
New-ish. Been playing MTG for a couple years, got started around Theros and a lot of the older sets are really appealing compared to the new stuff. Plus you have a giant card pool to brew with
>>
>>44198910
It's what a lot of my friends who play have gotten into. That and some EDH, but that's not exactly an FNM format. It's something that happens on the side when people like me get bored of whatever the main event is supposed to be.

>>44198921
Might be nice, as I like playing with Gifts.
>>
>>44200190
>got started around Theros
Extremely new then.

Starting anywhere after Lorwyn is newfag territory. All the major changes to make Magic as terrible as possible happened after then.
>>
>>44200473
>Starting anywhere after Lorwyn is newfag territory.

What about people who started with Time Spiral? Does that actually make me an oldfag
>>
>>44200529
That depends on whether you liked the set or not.
>>
>>44200598
I enjoyed it a lot. I never understood the "its too complex" complaint it gets.
>>
>>44200642
You're alright then.

Not an oldfag, though. Still started in Modern frames.
>>
>>44198890

>skill-intensive

Explain further
>>
It doesn't fucking matter how new a player is. All that matters is whether they're willing to learn or not.

I met a guy who had only been playing for five weeks. He played the game better than some faggots that have been playing for over ten years. Sure, he didn't know much, but he sat down and learned the fucking rules.

Your "age" in this game is completely irrelevant.
>>
>>44200473
7th edition reporting in
>>
>>44201130
Same here.

>>44201057
>It doesn't fucking matter how new a player is
Fuck off, newfag. WotC incessant pandering to you and you alone has ruined this game.
>>
>>44186392
Playing Naya Allies and U/B eldrazi

Building nothing

Boring. Expeditions are a stupid idea, curious to see other stuff

Don't play tron so I wouldnt know
>>
File: BadMathChikadee.jpg (34 KB, 430x290) Image search: [Google]
BadMathChikadee.jpg
34 KB, 430x290
>>44200642
I started in Time Spiral as well. Sort of.
As a 7th grader. I understood the "its too complex" thing, cause when my friend tried to introduce me to it, i thought it was really fun, but there were just so many things being thrown at me, suspend, the static abilities, slivers, convoke, buyback, spore counters, etc, etc, I was overwhelmed and I ended up going back to yugioh. Fast forward to Gatecrash and I got reintroduced to it from another friend in high school right after we graduated. I got really into it and now I have more cards than my yugioh collection, which I no longer play cause it got too cancerous.
You don't know the pain I feel knowing I was introduced into magic around the age of Tarmogoyf and I went with the game where the worth of my collection to this date is less than an Ugin.
It's funny too, cause I remembered a couple things like mana burn and mana floating til end of turn instead of going away every phase, and never even heard of a planeswalker.
I'm also better at the game than 99% of my friends who had been playing for years before my reentry(mind you that I played for like 2 weeks max of magic when I was in 6th grade).
>>
>>44197735
You mean american
>>
>>44204379
>You don't know the pain I feel knowing I was introduced into magic around the age of Tarmogoyf and I went with the game where the worth of my collection to this date is less than an Ugin.

Yes...... Yes, I know. It hurts. I would have started Magic back then, but oh no it wasn't what my friends wanted to play. They had to have some other shit like pokemon cards. Do you have any idea, what it was like?
>>
Gee, Modern, why does /tg/ let you have two threads!?
>>
>>44201057
This is completely correct, tho. Even though I haven been playing regularly for 2 years, I'm still like a newborn baby, because first year was completely casual shit. Half year after that was casual EDH and only after that occasional modern/legacy games. Can still completely fail in simple things.
>>
>>44186597
>>44187804
>>44186392

Pyroclasm is starting to fall out of favor, being primarily replaced with Newlamog and maindeck Spellskite.

That said, here's the pro's and cons from an actual Tron player:

Pyroclasm

Pros:
2 mana
Can't be hit by Dispel
1 turn can be the difference between winning and losing against some aggro decks

Cons:
Can't destroy Etched Champion
Doesn't have extra 5 damage clause
Can be Flashfreeze'd (not sure if relevant anymore)
Sorcery

Kozilek's Return

Pros:
Colorless
Instant
Can kill Etched Champion
Can kill Inkmoth/Blinkmoth Nexus
Ignores Apostle's Blessing
Cannot be Flashfreeze'd (not sure if relevant anymore)
Can be found with Ancient Stirrings
5 damage bonus clause

Cons:
3 mana
Can be hit by Dispel
At 3 mana, can be outclassed by Firespout early game

Overall one isn't better than the other. Its going to come down to personal preference and a meta call. That is, if people shift back to the maindeck sweepers.
>>
>>44206640
This one was/is really slow for some reason
>>
>>44209071
Because there were two ongoing Modern threads at the same time.

OP of this one should have deleted it since it was made second. Instead, retards kept bumping it.
>>
File: Shinji_Ikari_by_Sythius.jpg (89 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
Shinji_Ikari_by_Sythius.jpg
89 KB, 500x461
Unban BBE and Stoneforge
>>
>>44199127
>>44193955
you answered your own question.
They can't just make a block with thousands of cards with no colored mana cost.
Devoid is a way to make the spell colorless but still having colored cost....
>>
>>44209233
Shut it nerd, WotC is incompenent and you know it.
>>
File: irony button.jpg (21 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
irony button.jpg
21 KB, 640x480
>>44209276
>incompenent
>>
>>44207369
>can be outclassed by Firespout early game
just drop a freakin kozi or ula. Or emra.
>>
>>44190363
It's good in a midrange style deck or a D&T stompy variant or any deck with ensnaring bridge + colorless sources (lantern control mainly) I tested it in a B/W D&T variant and it seemed very very good. I think it will mostly replace tectonic edge in those style of decks, as it improves your matchup vs midrange to an insane extent.
Most of the full midrange decks are 3 color so I think they'll have to use 'colorless' cards for a "2" color variant to be viable.
>>
>>44200473
Does it count if I started after Lorwyn but the first cards I ever bought were from the Ravnica block?
>>
File: slightlymiffed.gif (874 KB, 320x192) Image search: [Google]
slightlymiffed.gif
874 KB, 320x192
WOTC YOU GODDAMN FUCKTROUGH. WHY IS HOLIDAY CUBE NOT UP. THIS IS MY ONE DAY OFF WORK THIS WEEK.
>>
>>44207369

I think also something to consider is price. Kozilek's Return is a Mythic and will fetch a premium price when trying to get a playset, whereas Pyroclasm has been reprinted to hell and back, is an uncommon, and most people already have a playset of them. If you're given the choice between the two cards, I can see making due with Pyroclasm and just ignoring Kozilek's Return because it just doesn't do enough to justify the price jump.
>>
>>44186392

>What are you playing?
R/G Tron
Mono red Kiln Fiend storm
>What are you building?
Tweaking the Kiln Fiend deck
Most of the cards a pretty good
I can see having no more than 1 main and/or 1-2 in the board, the card is at its best against affinity as it kills etched champion, I'll have to do some testing to see if its better than vandalblast against them. The added bonus that you can hit it off ancient stirrings is very good as well. I think the card is at the very least better than fire spout but its not really what tron wants to be doing on turn 3
>>44207369
Since WUR control fell out of the meta I haven't seen many flash freezes most people choose to favor celestial purge as their redX hate spell, since every control deck has a million black kill spells for goyfs.
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.