[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dungeons and Dragons 5e General /5eg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49
File: MakhaiConceptArt.jpg (211 KB, 1200x823) Image search: [Google]
MakhaiConceptArt.jpg
211 KB, 1200x823
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

>December's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/07_UA_That_Old_Black_Magic.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

Previous thread >>44095856

Which NPC from your games you remember the most and why?
>>
File: 1445080485527.png (135 KB, 322x315) Image search: [Google]
1445080485527.png
135 KB, 322x315
>>44115953
>What NPC you remember the most
The fucking Beholder our DM threw at us at fucking level one after turning to the right side of the labyrinth, after having rested from the earlier battle against skeletons and zombies. 5 seconds later the whole hallway was literally on fire.

Second place is a little imp that always tagged along the party member that messed up the most AKA me
>>
DMing my first homebrew campaign. One pc wants to be secretly a vampire ranger, any ideas how to run this?

Thinking of a scale system where if he has recently consumed fresh blood from a humonoid he gets a slight buff
Then per day he goes without doing so he gets progressively debuffed, in example an extreme would be disadvantage on every roll (say he hasnt drank for 72hours at this point)

To make it a little more fair thinking if he drinks any blood, in example a vial of blood or a random beast that the party slay, then he can sit his current level of vampirism, but not reach the point of the minor buff.

Open to any ideas or input.
>>
>>44117106
What are your other players getting?
>>
>>44117106
Give him a level of fatigue for each day he goes without blood. Don't give him any kind of numerical buffs, instead give him some cool vampire powers that he can't use openly without giving himself away.
>>
How do we fix Mike Mearls?
>>
>>44117151
Other players havnt decided too much on thier characters yet. I'm not going to go too wild. The aim is even when the other PC's clock on hes a vampire, they wont feel like he is overpowered compared to them. It would probably be just a mini-feat and more a hindrance for him to work around. He's already came up with a good backstory, personal quest etc.

>>44117199
Yeah that's a good tack on it. I was thinking of just using levels of exhaustion because it's a balanced concept. I'm still not sure what minor perk he should get though. As a ranger what vampire power makes sense? Open to all ideas again and I'll brainstorm this a bit.
>>
>>44117106
How would he avoid catching fire when out in the sun?
>>
>>44117316
Good question. The idea is that his family line was cursed with something similar to vamparism, and perhaps he's only a half breed of sorts. Something I considered early on was giving him disadvantage in sunlight unless he had feasted recently.

The player wants the idea of his character viewing it as a curse, not a gift, in the sense that he feeds because he must not because he enjoys the evil barbaric act.
>>
Why can't druids use bows?
>>
>>44117349
In that case, you can probably drastically weaken the usual effects of vampirism to make it playable. Disregarding things like inability to cross running water, weakness to garlic and inability to cross thresholds uninvited, perhaps you could give him a level of Fatigue every day (or part thereof) he is exposed to sunlight, unless he drinks blood sufficient to drain one Small or Medium-sized humanoid (or a reasonable equivalent) to death or two to unconsciousness?

In return, he gain an additional 1 hitpoint per character level, and regains 1 additional hitpoint per hit die expended on a short rest, as well as an additional 60 ft. of Darkvision on top of any he may already possess.

Of course, if you find this to be insufficient during play, you could always say that his continued rejection of his heritage allows him to build up a resistance to its ill-effects (and reduce the penalty for not drinking blood) or that growing more in touch with his heritage grants him greater power (and give him more powers as appropriate) in accordance with how he's been playing his character.
>>
>>44117457
Ranged weapons are unnatural.
>>
>>44117457
They can. They're just not proficient. As long as you use like a wood bow with a vine or catgut string and shit, why not?
>>
Do creatures banished by an Arcane Domain Cleric return?
>>
>>44117717
There's a home brew in op for a vamp class, might give you some ideas. Easiest is to multiclass ranger with it.
>>
Does anyone have a homebrew for creating custom mundane weapons or harvesting materials from a monster? GM has encouraged monster butchering for gear so we all took a different kind of crafting proficiency.
>>
>>44117349
>>44117106
now thats some good THAT GUY stuff.
>>
>>44117222
Is that the asshole who makes UA?
>>
i need some level 1 wizard bladesinger spells to use on my new character
>>
>>44118494
If the DM encouraged monster butcher for gear then he probably already has rules for it right?
>>
>>44118781
Get the 3 bladesinger cantrips, maybe minor ilusion for utility.
Sleep, Shield, Thunderwave, shocking grasp.
Maybe.
>>
File: 5eg threadly reminder guy.jpg (78 KB, 640x566) Image search: [Google]
5eg threadly reminder guy.jpg
78 KB, 640x566
Thready reminder, D&D Next is an ERPG.
If you're not masterbaiting while rolling circumference for sodomizing dragongirls with waifublade; you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>44119047
I'm helping him make some since he just thought of and implemented the mechanic in our upcoming but a reference would help us out
>>
>>44117106
Tell him no
>>
File: mfw boss fight.png (1 MB, 1007x673) Image search: [Google]
mfw boss fight.png
1 MB, 1007x673
>>
File: Vampire trolling.jpg (99 KB, 1388x254) Image search: [Google]
Vampire trolling.jpg
99 KB, 1388x254
>>44117106
>Step 1: Approve his character
>Step 2: The party starts in a sunny field
>Step 3: The "secret" vampire is immediately destroyed by sunlight exposure.

In all seriousness, it is possible to roleplay a character like this (pic related), but make sure you know the player, that he wont make a super-edgy "i fight on two fronts, one agains my enemies, one against the demons of my soul" character.
>>
File: monster hunter.jpg (66 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
monster hunter.jpg
66 KB, 640x360
>>44118494
>>44119243
>"he just thought of it"
>>
>>44120208
We're all big Monster Hunter fans so he thought of implementing something like it in his next game. We all agreed but have no tangible mechanics to use
>>
>>44120796
It could work- keep in mind that 5e magic items are meant to be fairly low-power, so no +8 shields, but things like resisting a specific damage type would be very good.
>>
>>44120910
We weren't thinking magical items unless the creature was inherently magical, in which case a minor enchantment like that would come into effect. Our main concern is butchering our kills. How much would we get from it? What's still good or not? What monster bits have certain properties to them? And so on and so on
>>
File: snow leopard laughing.jpg (79 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
snow leopard laughing.jpg
79 KB, 500x333
>>44120086
>rogue + mobile
>ninja run up its arm
>stab it in the face with a magic dagger
>MASSIVE DAMAGE
>it fucking dies
>fall on a cow thrown at the elemental by the sorcerer's wild magic
>>
Can i get you gent's to pass judgement on my character? Human Abjurationist called Radghamar Twice Cursed.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17NqQS5dAutcXfX666LNcdhHyAmHRrzqjZ3G3Mq8phlY/edit?usp=sharing

A scholar from the island university of Spell-Hold, he was in charge of his pupils Defense Against the Dark Art's lessons, how to defend oneself from both malign material, aetherial, and spiritual dangers that his erst while pupils might encounter.

After all, whether its an ork's axe, a sorcerors fireball, or some sort of devilish contract dead is dead. (one hopes)

A charge which our wizard took most seriously. He truly cared for his students, even if they were ever inventing new ways to blow themselves/each other/the surrounding taverns up.

One of his students may have purloined a tome of darker magics from the forbidden section of the librarium in a misbegotten attempt to show up his stuffy instructor, and in the ensuing chaos several other students may or may not have been slain.

Radgha doesn't know personally, because he was hit by whatever spells were in the book and promptly knocked out for the ensuring firefight.

In the end was considered to have failed the faculty, his students, and all trust placed in him by all individuals involved, especially the dead students, but especially transmutation Master Blucher whose attempt to turn the wayward student into a squirrel backfired disastrously.

The head master of the school, Madigan Laramoore and master of divination himself spoke prophecy as Radgha's bags were tossed unceremoniously on the next ship out of the universities small port.
>>
>>44122138

The prophecy is up to the DM of course, something to tie Radgha into the story. (My last wizard was sadly team killed by an exuberant rogue after the big bad remotely cast a cantrip illusion over my character to make him appear to be metamorphosing into the wizard himself, everyone failed their int checks)

Expulsion was a severe punishment for such actions, likely the reason for it was equal parts convenient scapegoat, and because the student who started it all was Madigans nephew, Quintin Laramoore. Unbeknownst to all but a select few, Quintin had not died in the attack, but rather been knocked unconcious and spirited away to friends of the archmage. From their Quintin pursues knowledge of the dark arts, specifically necromancy, to either a) get back at those he see's responsible for his expulsion, blinded by hubris or b) make up for the damage he did somehow, the only way he knows. By reanimating corpses. He is not a wise man...

All this would have happened years ago, Radgha has aged and accumulated little valuable knowledge, though he does have extensive notes on the flora and fauna of the islands he is able to visit.

Thoughts?
>>
What sort of social establishments would you find in a fantasy city? Checking if I'm missing something. So far I got:

Churches
Taverns
Theatres
Brothels
>>
The rogue in my group is using the ability that lets him hide as a bonus action and then attacking with advantage for sneak attack and with +7 stealth he hasn't failed it in forever. Is it meant to be like that or am i missing something?
>>
>>44122537

Bath-house?
>>
>>44122537
underground gambling pits. scums of hive and villainy. brothels. dingy dirty markets selling cure alls in the form of snake oil and miracles to the dumb uneducated.
>>
>>44122773
He needs concealment to hide iirc. He can't just. Hide. Unless he has hide in plain sight in which case its working as intended.
>>
>>44122906
Ah okay that makes sense, cheers
>>
File: Knife Hamster.jpg (8 KB, 255x174) Image search: [Google]
Knife Hamster.jpg
8 KB, 255x174
Alright, /tg/, I'd like a bit of advice. Finally got to join a D&D groups for the first time. My initial plan was to play a Paladin, but the party's in the middle of a fairly extensive dungeon and there's no way to reasonably shoehorn in a random Paladin. It's likely gonna be a few sessions before the dungeon is done, too.

However, I agreed with the DM that in the meantime I'd play a Rogue who will at some point betray the party, as he's actually working for the villain.

My question is, how do I play this? Obviously don't be mustache-twirling evil, I don't want to give it away. But this is my first experience with D&D, and I want to make this one-shot character at least good for a first go.
>>
>>44122773
That's more or less how it's supposed to work. So long as they have something to make themselves not seen clearly--be it a corner, a wide they duck behind, a box, or in the case of halflings their medium-sized comrades, anyone can actually hide. Rogues are just particularly good at doing it while they do other stuff.
>>
>>44123130
We are still playing the starter set so im pretty nice to them rulewise and stuff. I think i'll tell him how its supposed to work really but let him continue like normal until we play next adventure
>>
>>44123004
You could be charismatic and shower one of them in compliments, then when you betray offer the complimented one to switch sides with you.
>>
>>44123465
I was planning to go with fairly charismatic, and decidedly not abrasive.

The DM also stated that I could just as well double-cross the villain and redeem the character if I wanted. I'm not sure how I'd go about playing a good rogue, though, and I don't particularly care for sociopaths.
>>
>Only ever played at FLGS group
>DM is a fucktard that tries to rule nazi modules of all things
>Only runs modules
>Other players getting tired of his shit but it's the only game in town that's public
>Coworker let's me play in his group where they play custom games
>First session is literally the most fun I've had at dnd ever
>Everybody is really nice and helpful

My god I have been missing so much.
>>
File: yay.png (72 KB, 285x315) Image search: [Google]
yay.png
72 KB, 285x315
>>44123555
I'm happy for you, anon. Having a shit group can make you lose sight of what makes this hobby great.
>>
>>44123533
Don't have to be a good rogue at all, just a smart one that knows when to jump ship. Charismatic characters are always fun IMO, but if you still want to play the paladin, make your betrayal flashy. Your rogue doesn't even have to die, you could steal something from the party and escape. Introduce your paladin as somebody the rogue had stolen something important from (family heirloom, magical item, ect.) and join from there as your new character.
>>
>>44123665
I had actually thought about that. When the Rogue dies or bails out, have the Paladin storm in right after, moments too late.

Bam, reason to tag along with the party. Especially if the Rogue stole something useful from the party as well.

Like I said, it's my first experience with D&D, but I've been on /tg/ for a long time and have been paying close attention to what annoys people. At the very least I'm going to avoid stealing from and provoking the party unless it's story-relevant. I just want it to be decent character that everyone enjoys.
>>
>/5eg/ in the OP

OP I could kiss you.

>>44117222
Remove him.
>>
Just out of curiosity, how come we don't see any threads for 3.5? Does nobody play it anymore?
>>
>>44124008
There are still Pathfinder threads.
>>
>>44124008
Just ask in Pathfinder threads. But yes.
>>
If Animate Dead is evil, why is it in the default Cleric spell list?
>>
>>44124798
Because some clerics are evil, and not just those in the Death domain.
>>
"General Health", a shady dealer who sold potions. Probably sold drugs too.
>>
>>44120910
>5e magic items are meant to be fairly low-power
>belts of super strength
>staves of having a fuckton of spells
>instant fortresses
>flying capes/carpets/shoes
>Ioun stones of stat boosts
Nah
>>
>>44124798
AFAICT, only frequent use of the spell is considered evil. The rest of the time, the PHB uses vaguer terms like 'foul', 'taboo' and 'not good' (ie neutral)
>>
>>44125018
Listed as options. Every 5e game I've been has had more limited magic item access. Its great.

I fucking hated how everyone and their mother had to have cloaks of resistance and belts/headbands of +primary stat.
>>
So bought OotA yesterday, reading through it here and there but as this is one of my first modules I'm a bit confused, are the players able to just travel where ever and the adventure unfolds? Or is there a setup I'm supposed to send them through?
>>
>>44125718
Limited access doesn't mean low power magic items. 5e magic items are fairly powerful, you just can't easily get them. Though my games hand them out like candy, so eh.

And really, items of +primary stat is pretty low powered compared to ones that grant access to entirely new options. You can easily deal with stat boosted players, but not a player who plops down a fortress in the middle of a road or one that simply flies over encounters. And the fucking staves man, just tossing out extra spells like casters don't break things enough. Maybe it's just coming from 4e, but 5e magic items strike me as absurd and sometimes gamebreaking.
>>
>>44115953
That's a tough call. My favorite npc to use in my home games was this easily scared looks miner who would just randomly show up in underground caverns and tunnels with a bag of tradable goods he mined up and found on the outskirts of forgotten tombs and crypts.

My favorite npc I have had character play with would probably be either Prince Derindel of the flumph from an OotA game I'm playing in. Both have generated some interesting tales.
>>
>>44122537
Well you need stables, trading posts, guard house / jail, general good stores, and a sort of capitol building where the mayor of the city would do all of their office work and have their meetings to discuss the upcoming festivals and solve major problems like the goblins who keep stealing all of the chickens and goats.
>>
File: 0486975.jpg (112 KB, 694x1500) Image search: [Google]
0486975.jpg
112 KB, 694x1500
Hey /5eg/, I asked last night for help regarding a Bladelock of the Undying Light, and I've made quite a bit of an adjustment.

Now, since our group is lacking a frontline player, I wanted to make a non-blastlock. I thought that Bladelock would be the natural choice.

Now, I don't think I need to tell anyone that Bladelock is the least good of the three (Still okay, but not that great), so I've decided to invalidate it.

I'm now going Tomelock with a quarterstaff. Since the new cantrips have come out, I've found that Bladelock has become even more trivialized.

Greenflame Blade with a Shillelagh'd Quarterstaff at level 5 deals 1d8 Bludgeoning + 1d8 Fire + (2xCha), with the added benefit of 1d8 + (2xCha) to an adjacent target. This upscales at 11th and 17th level.

Compare this to Bladelock. Assuming they spend an invocation to get the extra attack, they deal 2 x (1d8 + Dex [Since I'll use finesse]), assuming both attacks hit. Sure, they get to add their Charisma much later on (At the cost of ANOTHER invocation), but it really seems lackluster.

So, the benefit of being bladelock is that I get more flexibility with weapons (since Shillelagh only works on clubs or quarterstaves), and also I can use magic items. Apart from that though, I really don't see any other reason to go Bladelock. I get less MAD, more invocation flexibility, better scaling, etc.

Is there any other reason to pick Bladelock? If not, any tips, pointers, etc for my build would be appreciated.
>>
>>44126033
By magic items, I mean magic weapons of course
>>
>>44126033
Well, if you combine a reach pact weapon with spell sniper and booming blade you can stick melee types with the inability to hit anything without moving and taking the extra damage, assuming there isn't another ally in reach to hit.
>>
>>44125139
Does casting it once a day count as frequent? Given you have to sustain the casting or lose control, casting less frequently is a bad idea.
>>
>>44126033
Maybe you want to use a weapon that is not a staff. You also can not get disarmed as a bladelock, you can make any magic weapon you find as your pact weapon, and there is a lot of giggling when the guards tell you to leave your weapons behind before entering the king's palace.
>>
>>44125817
There is an intended path but it's not exactly a forced path. Your more suppose to nudge the party in a certain direction but all and all its possible for the party to take any route they chose. Just make sure they know ahead of time that just because it's an enemy that plans to fight them does not mean they can actually fight said enemy. Some fights you just gotta run.
>>
>>44126066
Note that pact weapons aren't really needed for this, it's just that shillelagh doesn't help.
>>
>>44126088
You can be disarmed as a bladelock, you can just spend a whole goddamn action to get it back. Meanwhile the EK is laughing at you while poofing his two weapons with bonus actions
>>
Have the released any "over max level" rules yet? I want to ascend to demigodhood.
>>
>>44126088
Something that is also steering me away from Bladelock is the connotation of it.

My patron is positive energy itself; why would it be granting me martial prowess? With Tomelock giving me Shillelagh, I can fluff it as me literally coating the staff in searing radiant energy. It's like Darth Maul's goddamn saber staff.

My only gripe with it is that it only works on a club or a quarterstaff. I might ask my DM if I can use it on other weapons, but even if I can't I can deal with it.

I don't know, I just feel like I'm missing something big about bladelock.
>>
>>44126192
You can fluff the pact boon as your character's personal interpretation of your patron's gift. It takes the form of a weapon because your character wants to be better with weapons. Alternatively, you can fluff it the exact same way as you fluffed shillelagh. Your patron gave you a lightsaber because it's cool.

Bladelocks still suck though. And having a non-sentient plane as a patron is stupid.
>>
>>44126192
Positive Energy is Life Energy. What do you suppose would happen if you we're pumped high on that shit?

Gotta eat big to get big, anon.

Supposing you have 16/16/14 post-racial, you COULD afford to go Str/Cha/Dex, which would allow you to use weapons with bigger damage dice and which qualify for GWM. Of course, you would be more fragile, though, since you'd have something like 1 less AC and -2 overall to Concentration checks (since the 14 would otherwise have gone into Con).
>>
>>44126227
That's why you always refluff your patron as some kind of phoenix god, or primordial of fire, or the Unconquered Sun

Does anyone actually play Undying Light with the default fluff?
>>
>>44126192
As DM I wouldn't let you use it on another weapon. Say you make a shillelag maul? Even a battleaxe is too much.
The fact is, a quarterstaff with shillelagh becomes a longsword. Also, no one stops you from using greenflame as a bladelock with a greatsword.
Now for your roleplaying issues well that's another matter and you have to decide on your own.
>>
>>44123579
>>44123555
A good group makes everything worth it.
It makes you think about playing D&D while at work or while having sex.
>>
File: KermitOhShitNigger.jpg (54 KB, 550x370) Image search: [Google]
KermitOhShitNigger.jpg
54 KB, 550x370
>>44126234
>going str without heavy armor
>>
>>44126304
I was working under the assumption that he had already started his campaign, and wouldn't be able to take Fighter as his first level. There'd be no convenient way to get anything above medium armor at that point.

If the game hasn't already started, he should by all means grab a level in Fighter to start with heavy armor and proficiency in Con saves.
>>
>>44126179
They actually have some stuff for over max level in the DMG. It's labeled under Epic Boons. It's basically a variant rule saying every 30K XP beyond level 20 earns you an epic boon. Most are actually pretty wicked.

Outside of that there is nothing I can think of.
>>
>>44126227
>>44126234

Well, the Undying Light Patron was the thing that got me interested in Warlocks. I don't like playing evil/edgy characters and I hate fey characters even more (apart from elves), so those options were off the table.

The way I interpreted having the positive energy plane as a patron is that my character is always overflowing with life energy. It makes food and drink taste amazing, music to resonate beautifully through the body, and the wind to cause a wonderful tingling across the skin. Hell, even wearing clothes feels great! The thing is, there;s some problems with this.

First, my character's become a hedonist. It's a tortuous mix of seeking extreme pleasures and having even the most simple things seem luxurious.

Second, he's almost always filled to the brim with positivity, even in situations where it's not natural to be happy. There's something almost scary about feeling happy when you know you should be feeling sad.

Third, he's overfull with positive energy. One thing I liked about the description of the Undying Light is that people receive only the barest fragment of the light's power. Any more and they'd be instantly incinerated. Well, I'd like to think of it as being a conduit to the Positive Energy Plane. Things around him begin to flourish with life merely because it's pouring from him. If he doesn't vent it, he'll start overloading. I really want to play up the fact that he needs to use this energy or he'll die from it.

That being said, I love the fluff for it. Greenflame blade is instead searing bursts from an overload of radiant energy, Hellish rebuke is a violent flare of energy as his body is damaged, Armor of Agathys is drawing in the positive energy around him to bolster his vitality, causing an influx of cold around him via induction (explaining the cold damage), etc.
>>
>>44126384
>Well, I'd like to think of it as being a conduit to the Positive Energy Plane. Things around him begin to flourish with life merely because it's pouring from him. If he doesn't vent it, he'll start overloading. I really want to play up the fact that he needs to use this energy or he'll die from it.
Which is why he lifts. ALL DAY ERRYDAY. Like his life DEPENDED ON IT. BECAUSE IT DOES.

100 PUSH-UPS, 100 SIT-UPS, 100 SQUATS, ETC.
>>
>>44126384
Positive energy as a concept is stupid
>>
>>44126449
Why's that? Is negative (necrotic) energy stupid as a concept as well, by extension?
>>
>>44126033
Look kid, Im a seasoned player, some might even say that Im one of the best, if not the best, gamer this board has to offer. Dont believe me? I have over 300 hundred board games at my house, over a 100 at my arms reach right now. Card games? I got a deck for every possible combination of cards of M:tg, I even go to tournments and shit. No biggie. D&D? I'm proud to say that as a player I'm always the party leader, maxed as I can be and I'm not afraid of taking that extra edge that puts me ahead of enemies and allies alike. Hell, I got to get paid for having sex with hot girls and killing dragons with my expert builds. I like to shit on the GM one-directional adventures, by solving it with brains and brawl instead of one or the other, wether the party likes it or not. When Im the GM, Im proud to say that NO PARTY ever finished one of my adventures. Think you're gonna face some lazy sleepy goblins? Think again, they are fully trained comandos, that will attack and take full cover before you can do shit. Dont hate the player, hate the game. WH40K? Dont even get me started, kiddo, shit would blow your weaklings mind on how real it gets.
So you listen, and you listen good, warlock is a dipping class, nothing else, flavor is something people that suck at gaming made up to explain their shitty builds and retarded tactics. Find a handbook online and max out everything, fill the roles your party needs and kick ass. Try googling " 5e warlock handbook", no biggie, no brainer, all power. Also, fuck the GM if he doesnt give you cool magic shit.
>>
>>44126456
Yes.
>>
>>44126449
>>44126456

Yes, I prefer just forces of Life and Death if absolutely neccessary to define such things.
>>
>>44126456
Necropolitan 'Lock when?
>>
>>44126473
That's the same thing, just less detailed
>>
>>44126473
Force of Life implies you can't die from it. Logically, if someone in-universe were to name it, they'd give it a different name, for the sake of accuracy.
>>
>>44126468
I like your take on the copypasta, friend.

All jokes aside though, have any tips for a new warlock player that doesn't want to go blastlock with Eldritch blast?
>>
>>44126488
Why would you die from Life? That's dumb as hell.
>>
>>44126472
I mean, you're entitled to your opinion, so go for it. I doubt you'll listen to anyone else's opinion on it anyways.
>>
>>44126488
Positive energy is a force of life. That's it's only function, yet it can kill you on overload because reasons.
>>
>>44126500
Cancer is death from life.
>>
>>44126495
Eldritch Blast is the Warlock's primary damage dealer. If you're not going to use it, you're probably stuck with the Undying Light Tomelock/Shillelagh or Bladelock Greenflame Blade builds as described above.

Otherwise, consider Warlock more of a dip, and use its features in tandem with another primary class (for instance, Hex with multiattackers like Fighter or Monk but probably not Monk or spell slots on short rests with Paladin Smites).
>>
>>44126500
>>44126514
also any bacterial/parasitic infections.
>>
>>44126514
Cancer is a corruption, not a consequence of life.
>>
>>44126500
>>44126509
That's the point. You logically can't die from Life. But you do die from Positive Energy. Ergo, they are different things. Subtly different, but still different. Therefore, they should have different names, to prevent confusion.

So that, when some idiot asks 'Why don't you just call it Force of Life', you can reply 'Because you can die from it, so it's obviously different, faget.'
>>
>>44126526
That's a thing that lives. Life magic doesn't make you cancerous or give you diesases/parasites.

Those are the providence of Death.
>>
>>44126533
My argument is dying from Positive Energy is fucking stupid as well.

So take that away just call it Life.
>>
>>44126529
>>44126543
It's an overabundance of living matter causing a disruption in your normal biological functions. It's literally an overload of life. Makes more sense than just exploding from too much positive energy anyway
>>
>>44126591
Or neither? It's this metaphysical force of Life. It's not like a cancer world that forces things into you.
>>
>>44126550
I'm going to assume you're >>44126509, in which case your argument:
>Positive energy is a subset of the Force of Life
>Therefore it's stupid that it should kill you
>Therefore we should just not have it kill you and call it Life instead, since it's the same thing anyway
is circular, unless I'm misunderstanding it somehow.

>>44126606
Anon, cancer is literally cells not dying when they're supposed to. What exactly are you trying to say?
>>
>>44126606
I was suggesting it was a force that unbiasely propagated the growth of all life, with the flaw being that all life does not live harmoniously. Things are already inside you, and your body's ability to suppress/kill it is what keeps you alive. Though I understand what you mean in your interpretation.

Positive energy is still the dumbest version out of all three.
>>
>>44126675
>Anon, cancer is literally cells not dying when they're supposed to. What exactly are you trying to say?

That a metaphysical force of Life does not cause death, Death does that, in a symbolic and literal sense.
>>
>>44126675
Well you were wrong. I'm >>44126509 (You) but not >>44126550.
I also think he's trying to say you should take away the possibility of dying from positive energy and then call it Life Force.
>>
>>44126606
I don't remember where I saw it, but I recall an image of a spellcaster of light seizing up and just vomiting liquid radiant energy.
>>
>>44126550
You don't consist of "Just pure life force" as a creature.
Metals, water and minerals compose a big part of your body - Staying on the Positive Plane too long will replace those other parts of your body with Positive Energy, essentially causing you to overflow.
>>
>>44126722
Why would that kill you though? Wouldn't you just become a life of pure life force then instead of simply dying?
>>
You die from positive energy the same way a balloon dies from too much air.
>>
>>44126730
>become a being* of pure life force
>>
>>44126730
Somewhat, you are more or less absorbed into the plane.
Having no brain kinda puts a limit on the whole "being conscious" thing.
>>
>>44126734
Balloons don't die, they shed their rubbery prisons
>>
>>44126722
>Positive Plane

Garbage, always hated "Elemental Planes" the world should not be divided from the elements that compose it.
>>
>>44126720
Well shit. I only assumed that because you were the only one of the two posts I quoted that had any kind of coherent argument.

My bad.

Taking away the possibility of dying from Positive Energy and then calling it Life Force is, of course, a thing you can do in your own game; but by the default fluff, Positive Energy is not Life Force, and to say that the two are equivalent would evidently be wrong, from the simple fact that you can die from one but logically not the other.
>>
>>44126742
This is a universe where being made of rocks and fire can talk and have a recorded language. Ghosts, spirits, etc regularly hop around and interact with things as fully intelligent beings. Having a brain doesn't mean anything in D&D.
>>
>>44126746
Similarly, you shed your fleshy prison and become a thing of pure Positive Energy. However, since you no longer have the required apparatus for actually staying alive, you, the living entity, die in the process.

On a related note: Positive Energy not the same as Life.
>>
>>44126763
True, but your spirit doesn't really reside on the plane it dies on.
It goes to the Astral Plane, and then to whatever plane you were destined to (good/evil/law/chaos/etc)
>>
How is the School of Conjuration? I want to make some kind of minion master but I'm not sure if I want to go Necromancy or Conjuration.
>>
>>44126763
No, but having a body does, the same way you can re-kill a ghost by hitting enough times with a sword.

Though, this brings up the interesting question of: what happens if you shoot a ghost up with Positive Energy?
>>
>>44126773
Except for ghosts, spirits, etc that fuck around whereever they died for whatever reasons. I don't think souls even go anywhere on their own in D&D; they need to be claimed by gods/demons/etc or they simply go nowhere
>>
>>44126156

True, but the EK can't dismiss weapons and at low levels can't conjure different weapons.

Never understood why they separated the weapon bond rules like they did. It should be a bonus action for both, and both should be able to dismiss the weapon.

Really the only difference should be the disarm (for the EK) and the summoning different weapons (bladelock)
>>
>>44126783
Conjuration is better as written, but is far more prone to being fucked over by your DM, since they can technically force you to summon shitty things instead of what you actually want.

Necromancy isn't as good, but it's pretty hard to reasonably deny you corpses to use if it's a standard d&d game with lots of combat. The only real concern is if another player in your party is a Cleric or Paladin who's belief system finds necromancy abhorrent.
>>
>>44126806
>Necromancy isn't as good
Necromancy is arguably better crunchwise for being a walking hectopeasant generator, but your DM can and will fuck you over for that fluffwise.
>>
>>44126801
>but the EK can't dismiss weapons
He can, you have up to two weapons, when you summon one the other dissapears
>>
>>44126788
You have to hit it with a magic sword, and magic ignores all kinds of rules about logical possibilities. You can probably kill the plane of positive energy itself with enough magic
>>
>>44126783
The Best:
Divination

Really good:
Abjuration

Usually really good, but can be fucked over by DM:
Conjuration, Illusion

Alright:
Necromancy, Bladesinger

Not great:
Transmutation, Necromancy

Ok in a low magic campaign, shit otherwise:
Artificer

Good if your DM agrees to not use the pointless errata nerfs, not great otherwise:
Evocation
>>
>>44126819
>You have to hit it with a magic sword
Anon, I...
>>
>>44126825
What about Enchantment?
>>
>>44126815
EKs can summon both bonded weapons without either vanishing. That function is meant to eble dual-wielding EKs
>>44126801
It's probably because the entire design process for this game was a disjointed, disorganized mess. Just looking at BM rangers strongly suggests whoever designed it had no communication with whoever designed everything else
>>
File: weaponbond.png (150 KB, 275x225) Image search: [Google]
weaponbond.png
150 KB, 275x225
>>44126815

Nope, the wording means that you can only summon one with a bonus action - stopping you summoning two weapons simultaneously (assuming two weapon fighting).

The EK weapons do not go to a pocket dimension like the Bladelock, and aren't dismissed when the other is summoned.

Effectively, if you were going for the "weapon on demand, dismissed otherwise" routine as an EK, you'd have to drop your weapons after a fight and hope they don't get moved to another plane before you summon again. Once you've summoned them to you, they're with you.
>>
>>44126837
Fuck, I types Necromancy twice.

The one under "Not Great" is supposed to be Enchantment.

Remember that no matter what school you pick you're still a wizard, so even if you pick one of the weaker ones it's pretty much impossible for you to be shit as long as you play it right
>>
>>44126835
Well that's silly. Guess ghosts would be OP if they were straight up immune.
Though it is amusing imagining fanning away a ghost by swiping at it enough times with a broom.
>>
>>44126848
Unless you restrict yourself to just picking spells from the school you specialized in...I thought it would be flavorful...
>>
>>44126848
Thanks. I want to make a character that can control pretty much everyone and everything for his use.

So I will be using Enchantment, Necromancy and Conjuration spells, but the monster summoning is definitely the focus
>>
>>44126825
I would put bladesinger higher up on that list personally. They can still do all the cool full caster stuff while being able to enter melee and fuck shit up twice a day.
>>
>>44126878
They're squishy and have limited damage potential in melee though. they still fight better as blaster wizards than melee ones
>>
>>44126878
Don't you mean twice a short rest?

Bladesingers basically trade away the shit they'd otherwise get from their School to smack shit in melee instead of blasting with cantrips, sacrificing control for damage.
>>
>>44126874
Divination is a great choice for "control" focus, as it is for anything else, as the ability to force a target to fail a save or an ally to succeed one twice a day is fantastic.

Conjuration is a great choice as well if you want to focus more on the summoning aspect, though. Just make sure your DM dosen't have some sort of problem with it, because otherwise you'll find all your summoning spells just farting out the shittiest possible results.
>>
>>44126885
Of course they make better blasters, but with studded leather, 3 dex, and 3 int you can have an 18 ac while in bladesong and shield can further help you. I know it's not exactly the alter reality level of broken but I think it's better than just an alright. It's on par with abjuration imo, unless your a deep gnome abjuration wizard with that awesome race feat, then abjuration is a step above.
>>
I m thinking about a build for my PC.
In my group there are a monk, a paladin, a fighter and a ranged warlock.
We lack in skills and in support, and my friends don t really love shining out of combats.
So i m thinking about to play a support( buffer) and a skillmonkey
Half Elf Rogue 1/ Valor Bard 4/Knowledge cleric 1/ Bard 5+
I have 2 tools, 15 skills and i m expert in 6.
In combat i m the guy who don t let him friends die( by buffing, i think healing is a bad strategy), and out of combat i m the superleader
I m thinking to take inspiring leader, warcaster or healer after reaching cha 20.
What do you think?
>>
>>44127014
Instead of having 15 skills, why not find out what skills your party is taking, and not take those, so that your build is less scattered. Rogue 1 / Knowledge Cleric 1 doesn't seem to do much for your build other than give you skills and Expertise. You'll never use Sneak Attack, and dipping Cleric delays your Bard progression by 1 in favor of what exactly?

Just dip Warlock 2 for Agonizing Blast and Beguiling Influence and do almost everything ever except tanking. :^)
>>
>>44127014
It's worth noting that Crawford said Jack of All Trades synergises with Reliable Talent:

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/12/11/do-remarkable-athlete-or-jack-of-all-trades-trigger-reliable-talent/

That gets you reliable skillmonkery all over the shop.
>>
>>44127132
Wut? So you can never get below 10 on any ability roll with reliable talent + jack of all trades?
>>
>>44127219
Given you have to be at least level 13, you can never get below 11, and that's when you have an 8 in that attribute.
>>
>>44126033
Conciser dipping 2 or 3 levels into Paladin (with your first level in paladin) if you want to be a melee Dying Light warlock.

You get
Armor Training
Smiting
Divine Favor (which allows you do do 1d4+CHA more damage per attack because of Undying Light's level 1 passive)
Better Spell Selection and 2-3 more slots
Lay on Hands
If you go you Devotion you can change your weapon into a light sword that gives you +CHA to attack rolls

Most of this more then makes up for the MADness of bladelock and allows you to wear plate armor and build (some) strength so you can grab a Greatsword. If you're in a Medium or High Magic Campaign you can grab a giant's belt and ignore MAD anyway.

Shillelagh vs. Blade though... the difference basically comes down to Blade adding CHA to damage an additional time vs. MAD. There aren't many useful invocations and you get a lot of them anyway, so that's not a sticking point.

Similarly, Blade scales the very slightest bit better since you use GFB on both of them anyway. It's worth noting Blade can double attack against things with fire resist instead, and double attack frequently feels better because you are less likely to wiff 2 attack rolls then one.

Also, I have some 3Pal/17UndyingLock Bladelock vs. Shillelagh math sitting around if anyone wants it.
>>
Hey guys, our groups bard is interested in multiclassing into warlock for story purposes and simply just to switch some stuff up with her character. Shes a noblewoman from a desert area of our homebrewed world and thought a genie pact would make the most sense thematically. Any of you guys happen to run into genie/djinnI patron options or have any ideas of how to pull that off?
>>
>>44128144
Her current character is a bit of a skill monkey anyways (shes kind of the unofficial face of the party thanks in large part to her noble background.) so something that gave her some more combat utility or Alternatively that meshed well with her skill prowess would be cool.
>>
So if I as a Level 3, 14 Intelligence Eldritch Knight take one level of Wizard, that should add up, giving me...
5 Cantrips (2 Knight, 3 Wizard)
3 Known Knight Spells limited to Evocation/Abjuration, 6+2 Known Wizard Spells of whatever schools I choose
1 1st Level Slots (knight's cut down to 1/3 according to the multiclassing page in the book, so only 1?)
2 1st level spell slots from the Wizard

Right?

I've little need for any attack spells, I'm just looking to go full Utility and support with magic.
>>
>>44128290
>6+2 Known Wizard Spells

8 spells in your spell book, you can prepare 3/day because you have +2 to INT and 1 level in Wizard. Effectively you have 5 spells, three of which you can change each day.

>Spell slots

Yes, three 1st level spell slots, because with 3 in EK and 1 in Wizard you come out to a level 2 multiclassed caster.
>>
>>44128365
>>44128290
6 spells three of which you can change I mean.
>>
>>44128009
I think inserting 6 levels of dragon sorc would be really worth it in there somewhere if you want to GFB anyway (also, on the topic of resistances, you can just use booming blade).

Wouldn't mind seeing your math.
>>
How people create NPCs with the template like the book? There is a website that you can use the book template or people use photoshop?
>>
File: HolyLightTCG.jpg (22 KB, 288x209) Image search: [Google]
HolyLightTCG.jpg
22 KB, 288x209
>>44128499
Alright

Book Version, 20 CHA
Use Shillelagh
Cast Divine Favor
Cast Green Flame Blade
Expend a 5th level Pact Magic slot for smite

First Target
1d8+5 burgeoning + 3d8+5 fire + 1d4+5 radiant + 5d8 radiant
Second Target
3d8+10 fire

9.5 bludgeoning, 18.5 fire, 7.5 radiant and 22.5 radiant
23.5 fire to second target
77 damage, 58 single target, 54.5 w/o Smite, 35.5 single w/o smite

Pactblade Version 20 CHA, 16 STR,
Great Sword
Cast Divine Favor
Cast Green Flame Blade
Expend a 5th level Pact Magic slot for smite

First Target
2d6+3 slashing + 5 necrotic + 3d8+5 fire + 1d4+5 radiant + 5d8 radiant
Second Target
3d8+10 fire

10 slashing, 5 necrotic, 18.5 fire, 7.5 radiant and 22.5 radiant
23.5 fire to second target
82.5 damage. 63.5 single target, 60 w/o Smite, 41 single w/o smite

Double attack instead of Green Flame
20 slashing, 10 necrotic, 15 radiant and 22.5 radiant
67 Damage, 45 w/o Smite
>>
>>44128604
Why Divine Favor instead of Hex? Also, why does your Bladelock have 16 Str? Have you figured the loss in accuracy into your calculations?
>>
>>44115953

Did Barlowe paint that? It looks like his work.
>>
>>44128552
Anyone please?
>>
>>44128750
For most npcs I just use those found at the back of the mm. If its a particularly important npc I make them like I would a character. The charts in the dmg really just give you lots of options to brainstorm motivations for npcs or interesting quirks.
>>
>>44128784
I mean the appearance, sometimes people post NPCs and monsters like the pages of the book, like in the 'Monster a Day', how people do that? There is a website or is photoshop?
>>
>>44128809
Oh thats a good question sorry for the misunderstanding. Ive always wondered that myself actually haha
>>
>Be a rogue cook
>In a dungeon I fall down 60' drop into a pit of water
>Party fucking leaves me
>Manage to climb out on my own
>Eventually make my way to them
>They proceed to say "Sorry!" and we move on
>We get back to town a couple of sessions later
>Explain to the DM I want a drug or poison to feed them that will not cause them any immediate harm but will only hurt them when I stop feeding it to them
>He agrees and I buy 300 doses of it plus 6 doses of what amounts to be drow sleeping portion
>In roughly 33 days my rogue will use the drow poison on them to knock them out and steal EVERYTHING of value then leave.
>After 48 hours of not taking that drug they will suffer the cumulative effects of 100 doses
>which is -100 to their max HP for upwards of a month
Soon I will have my vengeance.
>>
>>44129085
I think that someone will be beaten in real life.
>>
>>44128678
>Why Divine Favor instead of Hex
Because 1d4+CHA is more then 1d6, and you aren't just hexing one target in case you want to two targets with one attack each. Also, since it's a buff on you and not a debuff you can move off of a dead target for a bonus action you have more bonus actions and flexibility in combat.

Hex is an option, but mostly just for the slight utility of imposing disadvantage on ability checks and maybe the duration if you're doing a battle that lasts more then 10 rounds.

>Also, why does your Bladelock have 16 Str?

It only has 16 STR because when I built it it with standard array + 8 points from ability score improvements the totals were 16,10,14,8,12,20 with no racial. In the real world you'd probably be a half elf and get 18,10,16,8,12,20.

>Have you figured the loss in accuracy into your calculations?

It's not figuring for the lower accuracy, but it's also not figuring for the Great Weapon Fighting the Bladelock would have. The Booklock would probably go Defense or Protection and wield a shield, but they COULD go Great Weapon Fighting if they want.

Accuracy isn't a big deal for this build anyway since a 17 Warlock can cast Foresight (although, at the opportunity cost of not being able to True Polymorph) and a 3 Devotion Paladin can use their Channel Divinity to gain +CHA to attack rolls for 1 minute.
>>
>>44129565
>no racial
That explains it.

Because 1d4+CHA is more then 1d6
Yeah, I saw that right after I posted. Didn't realize the interaction between Radiant Soul and Divine Favor until now.

>It's not figuring for the lower accuracy, but it's also not figuring for the Great Weapon Fighting the Bladelock would have. The Booklock would probably go Defense or Protection and wield a shield, but they COULD go Great Weapon Fighting if they want.
I don't see how this means you shouldn't consider accuracy in your calculations. All you're saying is that Bladelocks will almost certainly reroll 1s and 2s, while Tomelocks might reroll 1s and 2s but maybe not.

Decided to try running my own numbers a little earlier just because. I probably fucked up, but I'll post them when I'm done in a bit regardless.
>>
>>44127014
Inspiring Leader sucks.
>>
>>44129881
Here we go.

Secondary target damages are identical, so we will only calculate with respect to the primary target. For the purposes of calculating effective damage, we will use 22 as our target AC (the AC of an Ancient Blue or Silver Dragon), since the Tarrasque has Immunity to Fire, so you're fucked either way. For that matter, so do Ancient Reds and Golds. Shit, maybe this wasn't such a good idea. But anyway:

With Undying Light Shillelagh Tomelock:
Relevant Stats: 20 CHA, Quarterstaff with Shillelagh spell, Divine Favor spell, Greenflame Blade spell, Smite Paladin feature, Elemental Adept (Fire) feat, [optional] Channel Divinity (Sacred Weapon) Paladin feature
First turn: Cast Shillelagh (Bonus Action), Greenflame Blade (Action), expend spell slot for Smite
1d8+5 bludgeoning + 3d8+5 fire (treat 1s as 2s) + 5d8 radiant = 50.875 avg at +11 to hit (50% hit rate) for 25.4375 avg dmg.

Second turn: As above, but cast Divine Favor instead of Shillelagh with Bonus Action
1d8+5 bludgeoning + 3d8+5 fire (treat 1s as 2s) + 5d8 radiant + 1d4+5 radiant = 58.375 avg at +11 to hit (50% hit rate) for 29.1875 avg dmg.

Subsequent turns are as second turn, with bonus action free.

A Devotion Paladin may instead use Channel Divinity (Sacred Weapon) on the first turn. Consequently, no damage will be dealt on the first turn, but attacks will be made at +16 to hit (75% hit rate) for 43.78125 avg dmg instead.
>>
>>44129977
(Cont'd.)
With Undying Light Bladelock:
Relevant Stats: 20 Cha and 18 Str, Greatsword, Divine Favor spell, Greenflame Blade spell, Smite Paladin feature, Elemental Adept (Fire) feat, Lifedrinker Warlock Invocation, [optional] Channel Divinity (Sacred Weapon) Paladin feature, [optional] Great Weapon Master feat (reduces Str to 16)
First turn: Cast Divine Favor (Bonus Action), Greenflame Blade (Action), expend spell slot for Smite
2d6+4 slashing + 3d8+5 fire (treat 1s as 2s) + 5d8 radiant + 1d4+5 radiant + 5 necrotic = 64.875 avg at +10 to hit (45% hit rate) for 29.19375 avg dmg.

Subsequent turns are as first turn, with bonus action unused.

A Devotion Paladin may instead use Channel Divinity (Sacred Weapon) on the first turn. Consequently, no damage will be dealt on the first turn, but attacks will be made at +15 to hit (70% hit rate) for 45.4125 avg dmg instead.

With 18 Cha and 20 Str:
2d6+5 slashing + 3d8+4 fire (treat 1s as 2s) + 5d8 radiant + 1d4+4 radiant + 4 necrotic = 62.875 avg at +11 to hit (50% hit rate) for 31.4375 avg dmg. Channel Divinity (Sacred Weapon) produces less avg dmg as hit rate is 70% either way.

With Channel Divinity (Sacred Weapon) and Great Weapon Master:
2d6+13 bludgeoning + 3d8+5 fire (treat 1s as 2s) + 5d8 radiant + 1d4+5 radiant + 5 necrotic = 73.875 avg, made at +10 to hit (45% hit rate) for 33.24375 avg dmg.

>tl;dr Comparing the situations which produce the highest average damages (i.e. spending a round fucking praying over your fucking weapon): Tomelock has an average damage of 43.78125 while Bladelock has an average of 45.4125. While Sacred Weapon isn't up, the Bladelock still has a marginally greater DPR than the Tomelock.

Calcuations did not factor in potential Quickening via Sorcerer, which obviously favors the Bladelock as the Tomelock has to take one more turn casting Bonus Action spells. Fighting Styles were also excluded, but GWF would also favor the Bladelock due to the greater number of dice rolled.
>>
>>44129123
>Gets left to rot in a dungeon, any conceivable kind of rope could have saved him
>Not wanting revenge
... I'm sorry, what?
If you are a dick to your party members, it's not unreasonable for them to be a dick back.
In this case, they literally let you die - It's their own fault they didn't finish the job themselves.
>>
>>44130015
Alright, but make sure you create an elaborate dungeon for the survivors to run through to catch up to you, with 'SORRY!' painted in big red letters at the end.

Since they at least apologized.
>>
I was thinking on adapting Vault of the Dracolitch for a 4 PC group, thinking on making them start at 6th level, would do this be enough?
>>
>>44128809
The link to homebrew resources is literaly in the OP
>>
>>44130124
I don't want homebrew resources, I want to know how they use a stylle like the PHB
>>
How do you guys do dungeon-crawls? Do you name a caller or mapper? I've always told my group about communicating and complementing each other, and RPGing has been good, but when there's too much action, everything goes to shit and then players are arguing who did what and when, because nobody declared an specific action order. Combat runs fine, but exploration's what I want to improve.
>>
File: Capture.png (16 KB, 418x191) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
16 KB, 418x191
>>44130728
Exactly, check in the OP. Stop being retarded and use your eyeballs
>>
>>44117106
Here use my vampirism rules. They're based on the vampires in the MM but repackaged for player use and balance. Pick a vampire age that seems appropriate for the campaign. Consider every 10 years to be equal to a level, balance-wise.
>>
File: 1429456148963.jpg (188 KB, 1060x477) Image search: [Google]
1429456148963.jpg
188 KB, 1060x477
How do I monk? I kinda want to be a Wood Elf.
Is Open Hand viable, or must I be a shadowfag?
>>
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there something like a D&D manual that has been edited to remove everything about gameplay rules, leaving mostly flavor text and storytelling elements remaining?
>>
What do you guys think of my drugs? Isangu has a "cost" of 10 gp, and cybin mushrooms have a "cost" of 50 gp, though they probably would be hard to find (up to DM distribution). They both have a negligible weight.
>>
File: 108028.jpg (967 KB, 900x1347) Image search: [Google]
108028.jpg
967 KB, 900x1347
>>44131491
Yeah its called Dungeon World.
>>
>>44131491
Yeah, it's the SCAG.
>>
>>44130728
Are you kidding me?
Do you know what homebrew means? Do you know what's a resource?
>>
>>44131437
Open Hand is one of the best, mechanically, for how economical it is with Ki. Shadow is kinda fucked for how it can't see through its own Darkness, but is otherwise alright. It is less potent in combat than Open Hand, though.
>>
>>44117199
Per day is harsh. Exhaustion's bitch and there will be places and times where prey isn't even available. Traveling for more than a couple days would be agony.
>>
>>44131525
>>44131547

Thanks.
>>
File: 51ux-QOGgiL.jpg (41 KB, 385x500) Image search: [Google]
51ux-QOGgiL.jpg
41 KB, 385x500
>>44131491
Some FR-specific ones are the Grand History of the Realms and Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms. Not to mention all the Volo's Guides.

Why do you want this, out of interest?
>>
File: 1447878128357.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1447878128357.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
>>44130728
>>
File: Bridge Town.jpg (801 KB, 1408x800) Image search: [Google]
Bridge Town.jpg
801 KB, 1408x800
>>44130770
I use "exploration turns" of a scale appropriate to the dungeon or area, often 1 minute, 10 minutes, an hour, or a day. I let players roll initiative, and then run them through exploration turns. They can pass and join someone elses turn later, and other players can say they're joining.

DM "Okay, your turn barbarian."
Barbarian "I'm gonna go through this room and flip everything over until I find the fucker."
Wizard "I'll search that room too."
DM "Okay both of you give me Investigation checks, you can use Strength for that, Barbarian."

I describe what they found, but if there's anything particularly interesting or an enemy shows up, I wait until the END of that exploration round to describe it, so that all the players can be on the same page.
>>
>>44132047
is that Oxenfurt?
>>
File: BrawlingDwarves.jpg (159 KB, 1680x1129) Image search: [Google]
BrawlingDwarves.jpg
159 KB, 1680x1129
>>44132047
Oh and I'll add that it's both been easier and I've had a lot of fun with this method. What I said about having the interesting thing happen at the end of the exploration round has led to a lot of simultaneous bullshit in dungeons like some of the most fun combat encounters I've run.
>>
>>44131872
>Why do you want this, out of interest?

Just want to improve my campaign settings. I'm looking at the inspirational reading sections in the 5e manuals as well.
>>
File: Long Rest.jpg (418 KB, 940x1362) Image search: [Google]
Long Rest.jpg
418 KB, 940x1362
>>44132112
The world-building stuff near the beginning of the DMG is great.
>>
>>44130770
Just do it by the book.

"The corridor is ten-foot wide. What's your marching order?"

If one player says something for the group ("We take the east door.") and nobody protests, they all do that thing.

Anyone can map and I don't assume their character is mapping or require them to have mapping materials. Maybe I would if it was a complicated dungeon, but it's mostly a player aid: it gives them the kind of visual representation and memory of the dungeon that their characters have.

Stress often that you will make assumptions based on what they say, and they should be clear about exactly what they're doing and when they're doing it. Occasionally it still creates arguments, but I've found it also encourages better exploration. Less "of course I'd be looking for traps, I'm a rogue!" and more "I poke the ground the ground with my staff as I walk."
>>
>>44132225
>Less "of course I'd be looking for traps, I'm a rogue!" and more "I poke the ground the ground with my staff as I walk."
I hate obsessive trap checking with a passion. Just use passives or give them a roll just before they fuck themselves
>>
>>44132297
It's something you can work around. What are the drawbacks to doing it in real life?

Perhaps add a time limit (the doors are slowly closing) or a direct negative effect (the sound attracts the goblins from the next room).

Don't be unfair, just throw the occasional curveball.
>>
>>44117106
>>44131687
Perhaps it could take over the course of a month or so for the stages of Exhaustion if he's active each day*, and then increasingly harsher effects of the basic exhaustion rules with some Vampire-relevant detriments included.
5 Days - Disadvantage on all Ability Checks
10 Days - Move Speed Halved, Radiant/Sun damage is doubled against him
15 Days - Disadvantage on all attacks and saving
20 Days - Health halved, lose all Vampire abilities except for his Bite
25 Days - Vampire must roll a DC8 Wisdom/Intelligence check each day or else he will be stricken with "Bloodlust"
30 Days - Bloodlust check increased to DC10, every day afterwards, the Bloodlust check increases another +1 until the vampire fails.

If the Vampire succumbs to Bloodlust, the player must attack the nearest viable living creature it sees and can reach to suck its blood no matter the circumstances. After sucking however much blood you deem necessary, the vampire recovers from all Exhaustion and must roll against a DC12 Wis/Int to snap out of it. Failing to do so will require another combat round, rolling until he succeeds the DC12 check.

*If the Vampire spends at least 12 hours a day in an extended rest or only acts during the dead of night / in an interior where not even ambient sunlight can reach him, his Torpor will stall his Vampire Exhaustion for the day.
>>
I have a druid in my group that uses a shit ton of summoning spells. Would it be a dick move to put him up against an arcane cleric since they can just banish most things he can summon?
>>
File: Snake Swarm.png (354 KB, 620x402) Image search: [Google]
Snake Swarm.png
354 KB, 620x402
>>44132608
You might want to review how summoning spells work. There's some info in Sage Advice. The player only picks the number of creatures/CR and the area, then the DM picks exactly which creatures appear, where, and controls them.
>>
>>44132680
I know how it works. I am trying to make an adversarial team for the party and I was thinking of a cleric for a counter to the druid. I was just wondering if it would be too much of a dick move to use an arcane cleric since he could banish summons
>>
File: nothin personnel.jpg (51 KB, 615x630) Image search: [Google]
nothin personnel.jpg
51 KB, 615x630
>>44117349
>The player wants the idea of his character viewing it as a curse, not a gift, in the sense that he feeds because he must not because he enjoys the evil barbaric act.

CRAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWLIIIIIING
>>
>>44126033
>Now, since our group is lacking a frontline player, I wanted to make a non-blastlock. I thought that Bladelock would be the natural choice.

Honestly, if you want to be a frontliner, going Dex first is the better choice when you have Light Armor, damage per round be damned.

>>44128009
>Divine Favor (which allows you do do 1d4+CHA more damage per attack because of Undying Light's level 1 passive)
Unfortunately, Undying Light's damage bonus won't work on this. It adds damage only when you cast a spell, and Divine Favor doesn't deal damage when you cast it. Still a solid and useful build though.
>>
>>44132739
>>44132608
If the party's going up against some organized force that can hire a cleric or has clerics in their ranks, it'd make sense that they would eventually send a specialist, assuming they see the Druid and his super animal friends (also the rest of the party) as a big enough nuisance.

If they just happen to run into several rival characters, each of whom have direct counters to each of the players, that's way too conveniently contrived.
>>
>>44132608

Needs more context, but if its just you trying to draw up an interesting encounter then it's fine.
Martials have to deal with enemies with flight and high AC, wizards have to deal with Silence and counterspell, etc.

If you're doing it as a punitive thing then that's a little lame plus why bother, unless you plan on sending an arcane cleric at him daily or something it's not going to change the behavior.
>>
>>44132854
The cleric is the only direct counter. The plan is to have a rival group of adventurers that are taking the highest paying jobs and who brag about how good they are. I was wanting to do an arcane cleric for flavor but realized that they are a counter for summoned creatures which the druid uses a lot of.

I want them statted up just in case the party decides to axe the competition.

>>44132903
No I'm not a big enough dick to throw a fuck you like that at my party to "punish them"
>>
>>44130060
Lure them to the Sorry dungeon with promise of a cure for the poison to make the negative effects go away earlier. There is no cure. Only Sorry.
>>
File: Water Weird.png (338 KB, 375x461) Image search: [Google]
Water Weird.png
338 KB, 375x461
>>44132938
If I were to add interest to a character constantly using conjuration spells, I would make a dungeon or area where the connection to other planes is unstable and has chaotic effects.

I'd make a couple tables, tables are great. A Plane Connections table detailing local effects for each specific plane, and a Summon Chaos table with a dice roll for the effects/behavior of each summoned creature or group.
>>
File: Elemental, Air Transparent.png (165 KB, 273x432) Image search: [Google]
Elemental, Air Transparent.png
165 KB, 273x432
>>44132938
>>44133131
The Plane Connections effects wouldn't necessarily be entirely positive or negative, so that once the party figures it out, they can start taking advantage of them.
>>
>>44126825
Different anon here.

So, I'm a level five diviner wizard in my group's game. Now, I've been looking into divination spells and there are not a lot of them. Thus, I was hoping for some help from you all.

Are there any non-Core divination spells that are useful? What about homebrewed spells? Anything would be appreciated
>>
>>44133342

Assess Value
1st-level divination (ritual)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
You touch an item and instantly know its fair market value, to within 10%. This does not take into consideration local conditions that may drive the price up or down.

Compass
1st-level divination (ritual)
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a brass bowl filled with water, an iron needle, and a cork)
Duration: 1 week
You use the pin, cork, and brass bowl to make a simple compass. However, instead of pointing to magnetic north, the needle points to a direction of choice, such as your home port or your destination (if you previously knew what it was).
The spell ends if the water is drained from the bowl or the cork or needle is re-moved.

Converse
5th-level divination
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Special
You choose a single natural object or crea-ture, such as a tree, stream, boulder, a bird, etc., and mentally commune with that ob-ject’s spirit.
The DM secretly rolls 2d6 plus your spellcasting ability modifier to determine how many questions you may ask. When you ask that number of questions, or 24 hours have passed, the spell ends. The spirit will answer as truthfully as it can, but may be limited in knowledge.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell with a 7th- or 8th- level spell slot, the GM rolls 3d6 plus your spellcasting ability modifier. When you cast this spell with a 9th-level spell slot, the GM rolls 4d6 plus your spellcasting ability modifier.
>>
>>44133502
These and a lot more can be found in this PDF if you are interested.
>>
Should I become a GM?

I played for 8 months with a great GM and then we stopped. Now I'm playing with an awful GM in Pathfinder and I just want to go.

I want to do it my way, but I'm not sure I'm gonna like it. Should I give it a try? How hard it is? Is it that fun?
>>
So where is there to go after level 20? I heard boons are like the god feats but none of them seem that impressive compare to some legendary items.
>>
>>44133550
>>44133502

Thank you
>>
>>44133736
if you arent having fun, leave if there is no hope for salvaging anything from that group.
dm is fun but can be frusteration, just remember it isnt about vs but creating a story together.
start off with pre made campaigns to get a feel, then start one shots.
>>
File: group.jpg (320 KB, 1009x447) Image search: [Google]
group.jpg
320 KB, 1009x447
Stat the justice league. All at cap level of course.
>>
>>44133831
From left to right:

Human Wizard

Human Rogue

DMPC

Drow Barbarian

Wood Elf Monk
>>
>>44133831
Green Lantern: Illusionist wizard
Batman: Assassin rogue 6/Shadow Monk 14 with belt of giant's strength and other magic items
Superman: level 20 wizard whose DM let him get away with far too many extreme Wish spells
Wonder woman: Human barbarian 20 with Eagle totem flight
The Flash: wood elf open hand monk with boots of haste and mobile
>>
>>44133831

Green Lantern - Level 20 Conjuration Wizard
Batman - Level 5 Open Hand Monk played by the DM's Girlfriend
Superman - Greater Deity
Wonder Woman - Lesser Deity
The Flash - Intermediate Deity
>>
>>44133966
>Wonder woman: Human barbarian 20 with Eagle totem flight
But Wondy can actually fly
>>
Is the skill "Performance" useless?
>>
>>44134423
It's incredibly useful for performing
>>
>>44134423
I don't get how it fits with tool proficiencies.

>"I want to play guitar. I have proficiency in guitar."
>"Okay, roll a Charisma check with your proficiency bonus."

>"I want to play guitar. I have a guitar and proficiency in Performance."
>"Okay, roll a Charisma (Performance) check."

Even if your DM says you can't play guitar without proficiency or you have disadvantage or something: "Oh, then I sing."

Numerically it's the same. You can say that's bad role-playing, but then what does "proficient in Performance" mean for a character? Your character is going to put on a show with whatever they can do. They might as well have gotten rid of this skill and broken "Performance" up into different tools. Flat Charisma check, plus proficiency if you're proficient in an instrument. Woodworking isn't a skill, why is acting?
>>
>>44134850
>Performance. Your Charisma (Performance) check determines how well you can delight an audience with music, dance, acting, storytelling, or some other form of entertainment.
Performance proficiency means you're proficient at performing and being entertaining across the board. Proficiency with an instrument means you know how to perform with that specific instrument.
>>
>>44134985
I get that. Performance is "putting on a show", tool proficiency is "using that tool".

So say you're a random Outlander who can play the drums, you want to rally a crowd with your wardrums.

>"Roll a Charisma check, plus proficiency since you have that."

Then say you're a bard who wants to rally a crowd through song and dance.

>"Roll a Charisma (Performance) check. You're proficient in that."

It just seems a little redundant. Maybe if nobody in the party takes Performance proficiency or something, the specific tools would be more useful? But then you might as well axe the skill altogether. The bard just plays his lute.
>>
>>44116992
>Not bring mirrors into dungeons

Let me guess you don't bring garlic or silver weapons either?
>>
File: Whiplash-4[1].jpg (98 KB, 1120x630) Image search: [Google]
Whiplash-4[1].jpg
98 KB, 1120x630
>>44134850
>"I want to play guitar. I have proficiency in guitar."
>"Okay, roll a Charisma check with your proficiency bonus."
Just using a guitar is a Dexterity check though.

>So say you're a random Outlander who can play the drums, you want to rally a crowd with your wardrums.
Impressing a crowd with Drums is a Constitution check. Pic related.
>>
>>44115953
>Which NPC from your games you remember the most and why?
Gromm, a female goblin we picked up in the first session of Lost Mine of Phandelver. We're now level 8 traipsing through multiple levels of Carceri and she's basically my rogue's familiar. She's the richest goblin who ever was.

She wields a magic shortsword named DEMOCRACY and a shortbow named LIBERATION.
>>
>>44134423
It'd be pretty useful as the go-to skill if you're dealing with disguises and have to act the part.

Or on a stage play to appease some uppity aristocrats.

Or using it during downtime to perhaps play on the street for extra pocket change. Instrument proficiency can get some attention, but Performance is what you'd need to capture an audience.
>>
>>44122138
>>44122179
Repeat after me:
> I am not the main character.
> My adventure has not yet begun
> I need room for character development
Now throw your sprawling backstory inna bin and start over.
>>
>>44135225
Well you could always swing it to use other ability scores. The book even gives the example of carving a wood sculpture as a Strength check if it's tough wood, or something like that.

But the ability to play the instrument comes under the proficiency, since it's a tool. Proficient in the guitar? You can just play the guitar. Roll a Charisma check plus your proficiency bonus to see how well you do at impressing people.

I actually like the Constitution idea and I think it would have worked better if Performance was merged into another skill, like Persuasion. I can't think what word that would be. Impression? Then you could make an Impression (Charisma) check to persuade a guard, or an Impression (Constitution) check to wow an audience through a feat of endurance. Then again maybe that's just "Charisma", so perhaps it's a step backwards.

As a skill, I just think Performance is a bit niche and you can get identical results in other ways. What DM isn't going to call "playing an instrument I'm proficient in to impress people" a Charisma check plus proficiency? Even if you call it a Performance (Charisma) check, you can only gain the proficiency bonus once.
>>
>>44134423
I wouldn't say Performance is useless so much as musical instrument proficiencies are useless.

Is there any circumstance where you would use an instrument proficiency that couldn't instead be covered by the Performance skill?
>>
>>44126749
>divided from
>not at the intersection of

Stupid.
>>
>>44135248
That reminds me, one of my games has a brutal dictator by the name Democracy
>>
>>44133831
>Monk
>Wears armor
Wut?
>>
>>44135504
Many tool proficiencies are useless. The way they designed tools to interact with skills (i.e. not at all) is a failure.
>>
>>44134084
>batman
>5th level character
Kek
He's like 20th level wizard, 20th level fighter, 20th level monk, 20th level ranger and 20th level rogue, also has all stats at 20 and 10 times lucky feat.
>>
>>44135606
>played by the DM's Girlfriend
Anon was implying all his extraordinary feats were the result of DM fiat.
>>
>>44134084
>He thinks Flash is less powerful than Clark
Oh you
>>
>>44135097
You ever go to a live show for your favorite band only to discover that they have no ability to work a crowd?

Proficiency with the instrument is playing in a studio. Proficiency in Performance is playing on stage.

Any attempt by a PC in my games to win a crowd over by performing is, well, a Performance check. The only way your tool proficiency would matter would be if you had snuck into a party to kill some bigwig and were trying to blend in with the band:

> Hey, that minstrel can't play the lute!
>>
>>44135097
Surely it's that if you're not proficient in an instrument, you can't play it at all. So to actually perform with it and get your proficiency bonus, you need proficiency in the instrument AND performance.

As you said earlier that means there's no reason you couldn't just sing instead for the same mechanical effect, but most of the tool/instrument/gaming set proficiencies seem to be purely roleplay anyway.
>>
>>44135894
Instrument proficiency is so that those who can't sing can still Help those who can.
>>
How would you make a "realistic" and "gritty" dungeon crawler?
>>
>>44136448
Ignore Inspiration (the DMG says that's gritty), use the Gritty Realism rest variant, use Lingering Injuries, make a low magic campaign, keep strict track of rations and other resources.
>>
File: sewer-rat-preview.jpg (32 KB, 640x349) Image search: [Google]
sewer-rat-preview.jpg
32 KB, 640x349
>>44136448
like this!
>>
>>44136235
Fair enough. Still wouldn't give them proficiency for holding a crowd.
>>
File: 1447707385061.gif (142 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1447707385061.gif
142 KB, 200x150
I have only sorcerers up till now. Next character I'll be playing as is a Barbarian. Apart of going through Conan-like songs, how should I play it?

While I find tempting to go like "I barbarian, I punch things, feel nice, punch more thing." I got high intelligence and wisdom rolls (Even after prioritizing Strength and Constitution) so I guess I can play with common sense or something?
>>
>>44137976
Be a wise and learned nomad who isn't comfortable living in civilization but is interested and knowledgeable about it nonetheless.
>>
>>44137976
Fluff your Barbarian rages as entering a zen-like battle trance where your detached state of mind allows you to push your body beyond its normal limits.
>>
>>44115953
Whats the distance, in miles, from Islubladop to Graklstugh?
>>
>>44137976
RIGHTEOUS FURY!
Your god of anger infuses your body with his divine rage.
>>
>>44138150
Use the Measure Tool in GIMP.
>>
File: 1436955311663.png (20 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1436955311663.png
20 KB, 500x500
>playing OOTA
>paladin player leaves the game
>mfw I get waifublade

Hopefully she never finds out I'm a warlock
>>
>>44137976
>conan songs
The first movie soundtrack is godtier.
>>
>>44138434
GIMP?
>>
>>44138434
I cant find the maps scale.
>>
>>44115953
A keelboat travels at 1mile per hour, but how many miles per day, if the pilot has to take a break too? 16 miles per day?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.