[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dungeons and Dragons 5e General /5eg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

>December's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/07_UA_That_Old_Black_Magic.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

Previous thread >>44073254
>>
Anyone here playing with a changeling? Do they work with rules from UA or did you add something on top?
>>
>>44095856
/5eg/ in the title. Thankyou based anon.
>>
I predict the survey tomorrow will be about the SCAG.
>>
A player in my group thinks Assassin Rogues aren't strong enough. They took 1 level in Fighter and never sneaks into fights to Surprise or flank for Advantage. Is this purely their fault? Or does this class leave something to be desired?
>>
>>44096310
The surprise crit is their only real feature. Everything else is worthless ribbons
>>
>>44095869
Was thinking of making a changeling Illusion based Sorceror. Too pigeonholed / powerful in terms of illusion?

>>44096089
Right?!?

>>44096363
Not specifically for this class, but I've seen the term ribbons used around here before. What exactly is the proper usage / definition of that?
>>
>>44096654
>What exactly is the proper usage / definition of that?

It's something that looks nice, but doesn't really accomplish much, usually in the context of a mechanical feature, as opposed to something rooted in fluff/flavor.
>>
Soooo, that UA seems pretty cool, what do you guys think?
>>
>>44096684
So utilized with minmaxers with 0 concept of the RP aspect of this Tabletop RPG
>>
>>44096684
>It's something that looks nice, but doesn't really accomplish much, usually in the context of a mechanical feature, as opposed to something rooted in fluff/flavor.
Actually, it's a feature with little mechanical impact that is entirely rooted in fluff. See: storm sorcerer weather control.
>>
File: Silver_Weapons.jpg (77 KB, 552x330) Image search: [Google]
Silver_Weapons.jpg
77 KB, 552x330
What is the point of silver weapons? I assumed it was to ignore physical resistance but recently someone pointed out that it doesn't make a weapon magical.

Is this true? How many monsters are actually weak to silver? And is there anything less fun then hearing your greatsword crits only do half on a skeleton?
>>
>>44096654
It's a feature that has little to no mechanical impact on a class's competence. The kind of thing a DM might just rule you can do because of a backstory or just good RPing.
>>
>>44096822
From reading 5E generals I can tell you the general reaction is
>Warlocks get wrecked and can't summon demons because reasons.
>Getting summons that can break free of your control is meh
>>
>>44096973
Some of them are resistant to weapons not silvered, like the wight and the wraith. Weird enough, werewolves are not, though I tend to houserule it.
>>
>>44096973
Yeah, there's not much of a point to them unless you go in there yourself and fiddle with resistances, which is what I do.

Unless you houserule it there's not much of a point to them.
>>
>>44096310
Assassin is a noobtrap.
>>
File: replacing_dead_plotkey_npc.jpg (49 KB, 597x338) Image search: [Google]
replacing_dead_plotkey_npc.jpg
49 KB, 597x338
Silverfag again. How much would it cost to forge a non magical weapon into a magical one? Or is that the +1/2/3 stuff?
>>
>>44097030
They can break free but they still can't go past the blood circle.

Feel free to summon multiple high level demons to run rampant on your enemies
>>
>>44096310
Disguise kit proficiency is nice if you need to sneak into some place and can't get a Disguise Self or similar affect on you. Poison kit proficiency could be good if you spend the time to craft poisons to apply to your daggers, though you may need to ask your DM to cut down on the crafting time a bit to make it more viable.

9th and 13th level abilities are pretty meh, and 17th level one is so situational that it'll be hard to get off on anything that's in such a high CR unless you get VERY, VERY lucky (like you somehow get a 40 Stealth roll on sneaking into the Ancient Dragon's lair while he's asleep and you can get right next to him).
>>
>>44097332
Addendum: though if the player isn't trying to go Hide or Stealth as often as he can to get Sneak Attack off as often as possible, that's on him. I mean he gets to try and Hide as a bonus action the moment he hits level 2, he should be trying to do that as often as he can. Like he gets in a Sneak Attack, Disengages with his bonus action. Next turn he Hides, moves and hits for Sneak Attack again. Rinse and repeat until you're done murderhobo-ing your foes.
>>
>>44096310
Combat wise, they don't get shit except one guaranteed crit to start off a fight.

The focus on disguises and poisons may have great potential for players who can roleplay the fuck out of a city-focused campaign, but opportunities to use them elsewhere are pretty narrow. That you don't even get the good means of doing so until 9th and 13th levels is pretty weak. And really, they feel like things you don't need an established mechanic for; just successfully bluff "I'm so and so from far yonder, check out this signet ring and paperwork (that I bought instead of made myself)!" a couple times and you more or less just performed Infiltration Expertise.

Ultimately, it seems like an Arcane Trickster could do anything the Assassin could do (more easily if not more effectively) with some select magic.

For an archetype said to be focused on the "grim art of death", it appears to be much more focused on playing dressup.
I'd seek to add a bit more power to the Assassin's... assassination abilities, perhaps in the field of his poison making. Further bonuses to the potency, ease, speed and/or effects of the poisons he can make. Perhaps a dose of one of his poisons can coat more ammunition than just three, and the dose when applied to a weapon or those delivered directly have a higher DC save.
>>
File: 1446952819165.gif (2 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
1446952819165.gif
2 MB, 448x252
>dm for a group of friends
>introduce the BBEG
>they want to fight him
>welp guess I'll entertain them until they run
>half the team almost dies by 2nd turn
>they keep fighting
>have to send in plot related npc to rescue them
>they keep fighting
>kill the npc who was obviously better than them
>they keep fighting
>none even humor the idea of running away
>they all died
Here's the weird part, they said they enjoyed it.
Is there something wrong with my group or am I just friends with a bunch of perverts?
>>
>>44096310
Assassin is a bit of a noobtrap, but:
> Player bitches that assassin isn't good at assassin things
> proceeds to not do assassin things
It's more than a little bit his fault.
>>
>>44097453
You're friends with a bunch of retards, but it sounds like you can't screw shit up for them, so you might as well enjoy it.
>>
>>44097453
They didn't have a lot of investment in the story and/or their characters. I do the same thing when I don't care about my character/the story, and have seen other players do the same.
>>
>>44097453
>they enjoyed it

See, I think you got a good group. A bad group would've blamed you for everything and said you were a shit gm.

Now introduce them to the Paranoia RPG cause it sounds like their thing.
>>
>>44097298
As a DM, I'd use the difference between the cost of the nonmagical weapon and magical weapon as a starting point.

A craftsman capable of performing such a feat must be powerful and skilled indeed, and so they'd be hard to find, charge incredible sums fur their expertise, be somewhat/very eccentric, or some combination thereof.

What you've described is quest material, anon. You can't, under normal circumstances, get a dude to magic up your weapon for free.
>>
>>44097453
Was the BBEG humanoid or not
>>
>>44097692
yes? how does that matter? also with us migrating from 4e I think I know why, either that or they didn't care.
>>
>>44097775
Human enemies being really powerful can come as a surprise.

Make him transform into a dragon or something equally huge to make your players scarper
>>
>>44097411
The assassin is for assassinating.

I know Bubisoft has you convinced assassins are all levantine ninjas who run around stabbing people in broad daylight, but your whole deal is killing and, preferably, not being there when the fuzz show up.

Remember that the Rogue is not a fighter. The assassin doesn't fight people; he kills them.
>>
File: bard.jpg (156 KB, 497x935) Image search: [Google]
bard.jpg
156 KB, 497x935
>>44095856

I've only ever played homebrew games. I signed up to try encounters at my local place next week.

What am I missing by not having played WotC print material?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (85 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
85 KB, 1280x720
Meanwhile, Chris Perkins' "Dungeon Master Experience" articles archive is inaccessible from the Wizards' site anymore. I was reading it like 3 hours ago. :d Does anyone have a PDF compilation or something?
>>
Following the DMG, uncommons are worth 101-500 gold.
At what level should a group have earn this much?
I think with 5e being kinda lacking purchasing items,
500g would be really easy to rack up after a few sessions.
>>
>>44098321
see >>44079488 . I'd say, level 2 and onwards.
>>
>>44098092
Hard to tell, we haven't seen it.
>>
>>44098092
Nothing. You are missing fucking nothing.

In seriousness, not having played official material might make AL more fun for you. More to discover.

Personally, I can't stand my adventure league group: 2 metagamers, 1 brute force asshole, and a legendary conductor of a GM who couldn't deviate from the book of it caught fire.
>>
>>44097301
You mean run rampant on your party, because the circle is only as large as your character's space (meaning probably 5x5). Unless you're standing in a chokepoint with your party on the other side, I guess.
>>
>>44098556
You are summoning demons, you aren't a nice person
>>
>>44098582
>Evil people are all backstabbing assholes with no sense of camaraderie
>>
File: xmagicitems.jpg (98 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
xmagicitems.jpg
98 KB, 750x600
>>44098370
well thats if I decide to start selling them uncommons, is there anything the players can spend gold in low level beside heal potions?
>>
>>44097298
The DMG has optional rules for enchanting magic items. As I recall the cost for enchanting an uncommon magic item (+1 weapon) is 1000g.

>>44098582
Which is why it's a rather poor option for a player in a team game. Also, it's not exactly hard to be moved 5ft out of your circle so it's not even all that great for BBEGs.
>>
File: 1416857712907.jpg (88 KB, 640x827) Image search: [Google]
1416857712907.jpg
88 KB, 640x827
I want to introduce new players to managing multiple characters ASAP for a caravan campaign, tell me if you think this is overwhelming for noobs.

3D6 straight for 6 different arrays, one background as a theme for all of them.
Some of the characters will be really good in combat, others might be old one legged wizards that hangs around for rituals, story time and scares children away or just career blacksmiths. If they want to reroll, they either throw away all 6 arrays or throw one away and reroll another.
The backgrounds are reworded to fit the bill as being more career or culture, like sage becoming academia, the most important part is the bond; all the original characters must share the same bond so it makes sense why they might be such good pals.
If a retainer earns maximum loyalty(max is 20, whenever you do something they like, +CHA mod in points) and has a bond with one of the PC's characters(it doesn't have the be one from the background),i.e saving their life, marrying, share the same friend/enemy, it's now their character to control.

They can focus on couple really good characters, or try bring all of them into combat. But they have to keep in mind experience points, balancing rests and how deadly something might be. It's usually a good idea to send the weaker ones on taks such as delivering a messages and jobs to earn EXP.

Downtime is also a big deal and characters needs to rest for a while, so rotating characters is a good idea. Healing is Slow Natural and dependent on healing kits and getting KO'd makes you roll on Lingering Injury table are a few things I'm using from the DMG workshop chapter.
Non-resting character who might away or just not the focus, earn Adventure day EXP depending on their location. Work Days grant EXP too(and GP of course), towards careers, If a blacksmith characters wants more EXP, he has to go to more demanding markets or legendary workshops. I still need to flesh out careers more though, make spell lists perhaps.
>>
So there's this awesome Conan rpg that Mongoose did for 3.5, and I'd like to update the rules to 5e. Any guides on how to do this?
>>
>>44098915
dude how do you expect someone to conduct a symphony if they can't even play a single instrument?
let them know how to play a character, then you can simplify what you taught them to do your little army plan.
>>
File: snow_.jpg (574 KB, 983x1241) Image search: [Google]
snow_.jpg
574 KB, 983x1241
>>44099284
Look into Thule setting for 5E, it's pretty classy.
https://mega.nz/#F!CJUzERAa!qKHnxa3VfKrNDph2BM5AyA

It's alternative history earth Conan verses Cthulhu with some Plato, Tolkien and ancient Aryans tossed in.
>>
>>44099565
We're playing OotA first, don't worry. Just want some ideas how to introduce to them it for a campaign centered around it.
>>
A while back I posted a document with a list of around 40 races for use by the Reincarnation spell.

I have misplaced my copy, I don't suppose anyone saved it?
>>
Which is more fun, Divination or Abjuration wizardry? I want to play a fearless arcane defender of Justice.
>>
>>44099989
Abjuration.
>>
Hey /tg/, care to post some music that you associate with the sort of themes of archetypes? I been doing this with the characters in my game as a little fun exercise for plotting things out.
>>
>>44100156
>ā–¶
Valor Bards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpvUqzPixAU
>>
>>44099568
>that pic
All I can think of is "No, your other honor."
>>
I'm tinkering with the idea of doing a STR-centric grappling Swashbuckler Rogue, fluffed as a pro wrestler. My DM says he'll let me count Unarmed Strikes as finessable for SA if I take Tavern Brawler.

Should I take a level in Fighter first, for the better saves, or at Level 5? And are there any other feats I should prioritize?
>>
File: best sword.png (542 KB, 630x863) Image search: [Google]
best sword.png
542 KB, 630x863
>>44100156
Waifublade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NSMR5iNf8I
>>
>Several weeks ago
>Want to make a summoner
>Decide to go with Druid
>Just now reading this month's UA

God

Dammit
>>
File: jojo8bisect1.jpg (153 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
jojo8bisect1.jpg
153 KB, 1280x720
Well I tried googling it but all I got were numbers.
What monsters are weak to silver?
Any special weakness to monsters come to mind?
>>
>>44101038
Devils, night hags, jackalweres, lycanthropes, wights, and wraiths.

Note that this is to bypass physical resistance/immunity, not a vulnerability.
>>
>Barbarian finds a greatsword of vengeance that houses the spirit of a pissed off elf
>Not only keeps using it but actively gives into the bloodlust from the sword
>Talks to the elf spirit and promises to help him extract his vengeance
>Alignment shift from CE to CN due to his actions
So it sounds like he is going to drag the party on a hate filled scheme to take down an ancient elven noble house. On the plus side there was talk of a moonblade that we might be able to get our hands on.
>>
File: japanese vampire.jpg (99 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
japanese vampire.jpg
99 KB, 1280x720
>>44101114
understood, its just I was hoping there was an enchantment for making a magical weapon just for the purpose of bypassing physical defense.
My understanding from the thread is doing the magic +1 cost 1000 gold. Which is odd since uncommons are supposedly 101 to 500 gold.
>>
>>44101224
The second level spell Magic Weapon
>>
>>44101224
That anon was wrong, if the DM allows you to craft magical items, making a simple +1 weapon is 500gp, and you have to be a 3rd-level caster (and presumably know Magic Weapon, any and all prereqs outside of cash and caster level are up to the DM). You can craft 25gp per day so you can crank out a +1 weapon over the course of a month, or if you have a second caster, in a week and a half.
>>
On top of the topic of nonmagical resistance, would a basic magic armor be resistance to nonmagical attacks?
Theres an armor of vulnerability that tells me that isnt the case. Whats the point of it being magic besides the +1?
>>
>>44101345
>would a basic magic armor be resistance to nonmagical attacks
No.

And unless it has special attacks, nothing. There is armor of resistance that applies to specific damage types, but applying it to nonmagical physical damage would make the biggest part of barbarian rage useless.

Also that +1 for AC can be pretty significant, with bounded accuracy and all.
>>
>>44101345
Magic armor is super durable.
>>
>>44101345
The +1 IS the magic.

Honestly though, those type of incremental upgrade items are nice once in a while, but it's way more interesting and satisfying to get magical items that grant the characters brand new abilities. I'd even prefer to get something simple like a Flame Tongue than a +3 longsword.
>>
>>44101430
I'm currently listing all the fun uncommons and rares to give to my group, maybe nerfing them by being a one time use or give them curse items and knowing them they'll fall for it every time.
>>
>>44097072
Werewolves are IMMUNE to weapons that aren't silvered m8.
>>
Killed my first PC character literally 10 minutes ago. I've been DMing once per week for about 2 months so I'm still new at this.

Our warlock ran up to melee to cast something like shatter then invoked 3 opportunity attacks by running away to get KOd. He failed 3 saves and no one could get past enemies to heal him.

I didn't really want to kill him so I had his demon fulfill the pact and take him to another plane. How do I resolve this without boring everyone else, and making it a suitable rescue situation. Note: they just hit level 4.
>>
File: 1439551687821.jpg (143 KB, 646x1024) Image search: [Google]
1439551687821.jpg
143 KB, 646x1024
>>44096973
>Silver Bow

How the fuck is this supposed to affect the target

Why would you waste the material like this

which weapon-smith do i have to punch for this
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (41 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
41 KB, 480x360
>>44101834
So you said his demon saved him right?
Make him have a deal with the devil to come back.
But make sure you ask him if he wants to or reroll.
Then if he takes the deal, theres your free plothook.
>>
>>44101837

Ol' Long Bow Silver.
>>
>>44099989
necromancy. dress skellies up as deputies, cops, etc.
>>
File: knockles.jpg (113 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
knockles.jpg
113 KB, 1280x720
I made a character that's supposed to play as a loose cannon cop devoted to taking down anyone who breaks the law.
For example, IC whenever he casts firebolt, the image in my head is him flicking his cigarette at the target.
Or he's always cheesy diaglogue that could be in a C-tier action movie with a cop as the main character

This character is somewhat obnoxious, but its the first one I've had a fun time roleplaying.
Is there a good way I can maintain the core of this character and not ruin the experience for others at the table?

Also, unrelated.
If i attack as a monk and use the bonus action to make an unarmed strike or use flurry of blows. Should I apply bonus damage from my dex mod?
>>
>>44099568
Thanks! Looks brilliant. Strip out the Tolkien elements, add some Malazan elements, and presto.
>>
>>44102822
yes since its just a free melee unarmed attack, 1d6+dex also start studying up on buddy cop movies to get your party involved with your shenanigans, its no fun if only one steals the spotlight everytime
>>
I'm afraid that I might have made a mistake. I rolled up a barbarian who took an axe to the head when he was younger and now "he no think so good" no more. I am basing him, somewhat on the character T-Bone from the Naked Trucker and T-Bone show. Playing him as kind of a crazy special ed type guy. I ended up messing up some negotiations with a town and I felt bad about it. Have I gone too far?
>>
>>44102969
Playing the "hurr hurr me barbarian" type is always lame, especially when you play it to a T and fuck shit up for the party on a regular basis.

You can salvage it by making your character realize how dumb he is and have him strive to fix that so he can help the party more.
>>
>>44103010

It's only been two sessions so far, but everyone else at the table has otherwise enjoyed my retard antics. I don't think I'll mess up any more negotiations though.
>>
File: 1424241891431.jpg (116 KB, 401x333) Image search: [Google]
1424241891431.jpg
116 KB, 401x333
>>44099568
>tfw I posted this four threads ago and everyone seems to really like it.
>>
File: Lick Gelatnes cube.jpg (402 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Lick Gelatnes cube.jpg
402 KB, 800x800
Dear /5eg/, huge and bigger monsters don't feel big at all. Anybody got any ideas/mechanics on how to make a combat with a creature whose size is that of building feel like fighting a large creature and not a medium critter that takes up more space?
>>
>>44102969
you did a barb thing, you feeling bad means you are at least aware of your actions, thus able to change him.
have him try to pick up reading or learning shit from the smarter party members, or just be useful in combat.
>>
>>44103041
Targeting specific body parts to disable it (which also takes initiative on your part to make the use of those parts and the disabling of those parts both unique and significant) and climbing on the creature itself.
>>
>>44103053
>by day, unstoppable rage-fueled spirit warrior
>by night, struggling to learn the basics of etiquette, math, and trade from what little resources his helpful companions have available

I dig it.
>>
>>44103041
more damage and start ignoring little stabs at his toes, that isn't damage its an annoyance.
make even moving a step cause a chance to shake the ground and prone things.
make it take an entire turn to launch a crazy aoe attack that gives them a choice to run or risk it.
>>
>>44103041
>>44103067
This is actually an excellent idea. The Angry GM did an excellent column on how to make it work in 5e.

http://theangrygm.com/dungeons-and-dragons-and-dismemberment/
>>
>>44103053
>>44103073
Have him try and learn from each of the players one at a time.
Cleric might teach him about their god, and show him how to read holy texts.
Wizard tries math that is FAR beyond comprehension, and settles for colors and shapes to start.
The bard tries to teach him to play instruments. There were no survivors.
The rogue tries to teach them the value of shiny things, only succeeding when they demonstrate that acquiring coin=more beer.
>>
Use theater of mind, grids make everything seem small and flat.

Also, the DM need to describe how it's bigness effects the world; thus the party as well.
Describe all the stuff it the monster breaks while it's chasing after the party, how the ground gives way, or how it's breath sucks the air from the caverns.
>>
>>44103223
What if your party is composed of lemmings and can't theater of mind?
>>
>>44103041
Use the climbing rules. But don't just allow the climbing rules, make your party aware of the climbing rules.
>>
File: 0486975.jpg (112 KB, 694x1500) Image search: [Google]
0486975.jpg
112 KB, 694x1500
So, I've been given the challenge to play a Blade Warlock of the Undying Light. This is the first time I've played warlock in 5e, as well.

How should I build it, and do you have any stories/experiences playing either Light Warlocks or Bladelocks?
>>
>>44103493
Undying Light is pretty good but bladelock is notoriously underwhelming. Pick up Green Flame Blade (a cantrip from SCAG) and double-stack your Charisma mod on your fire damage for it.
>>
>>44103493
Take tome pact, get shillelagh and greenflame blade cantrips. Once you got satisfactory amount of warlock levels (about 4), take 6 levels of draconic sorc to add your CHA to GFB twice, and get the ability to quicken and twin it.
>>
>>44103547
You can't twin GFB since it ends up targeting two creatures.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/10/can-you-us-twinned-spell-with-green-flame-blade/
>>
>>44103562
Bull-fucking-shit, that goes counter to the example with ice dagger. Be consistent, people!
>>
>>44103624
It is consistent. Ice Knife specifies one target and then affects and area around them regardless of if it hits. Greenflame Blade specifies one target and then a second target after you hit.
>>
>>44103624
The ice knife thing was by Mearls. In all likelihood you shouldn't be able to twin ice knife, either, but I don't see a Crawford ruling on it.
>>
>>44103522
I know it's underwhelming, but I don't think it's unplayable.

Since the character's Half-Elf, I can get 2 16s (Using the base stat line of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8). Should I put my 16s in Cha and Dex for the increased survivability, or just fuck survivability and go Cha and Strength so I can use a wider range of weapons?

>>44103547
Well, I already said I was going Bladelock. I can get GFB anyway since it can be taken on Warlocks, but that brings a question up:

I also feel that the standard invocations for a Bladelock aren't needed with GFB. You can't attack an extra time since you cast a spell, and Lifedrinker has less of an impact without a second attack. What would you guys take instead?
>>
File: 1420260173455-0.jpg (323 KB, 933x1352) Image search: [Google]
1420260173455-0.jpg
323 KB, 933x1352
>>44103288
Theater of Mind gives the game a much better flow once your group gets into the game, you won't think twice about having a chase though a town once you get good at it, all it comes down to is the group's trust in the DM's accuracy. Sometimes players will demand you to doodle or use dice to represent positions though, that is when terrain or a mat might be called for, if the length justifies the work put into it.

Practice with barrel skeletons and box zombies, just one weak enemy popping outta no where. This will build up some trust in the group, as time goes on add more and more enemies to these short encounters.

Delegate a trustworthy player to mapping duty, this makes the group feel a lot more in control. He simply just records what you're describing, try to agree with his mapping more often than not though.

Make a clear lexicon of words you use to describe things, specifically distances, hearing everything described in feet can get awfully boring and is very dry.
Stride/engaged(touch), Close/reach/breach(10-15), near/stone's throw(16-25), ranged(26-35), distance/down-range(36-60), far(61-100), very far(101+).
As ranges get more extreme, don't be afraid to use feet obviously.
>>
Can druid use metal armour if they are multiclassing with a fighter, if so what are the penalties if they occur
>>
>>44103740
>Since the character's Half-Elf, I can get 2 16s (Using the base stat line of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8). Should I put my 16s in Cha and Dex for the increased survivability, or just fuck survivability and go Cha and Strength so I can use a wider range of weapons?

Dex, dex every time. There's literally no point where you don't want Dex for your combat abilitiy and if you need, say, a reach weapon then you can use one anyway, you just won't be as good with it.

Lifedrinker's still worth picking up for a little extra damage, if only because most other invocations are garbage. Armour of Shadows naturally, Devil's Sight for the Darkness combos, Eyes of the Rune Keeper is a good RP thing, Mask of Many Faces too.
>>
>>44103866
No, being a Druid makes you unwilling to wear metal armour. It's like a Paladin's oath, it's just something you have to accept as part of the character if you want to play that class.
>>
>>44103866
Metallurgist traitor!
>>
>>44103876
What about Misty Visions? Is an at-will Silent Image as good as I think it is?
>>
>DM is using a pre-written adventure book
>We take it off the rails session 2
>He's at a complete loss at what to do. Sessions 3-5 have been us poking at nothing.
>We're still level 1.
>>
>>44103493
dip two levels into paladin, try to work with your dm into letting you get the extra attack and +cha invocations at character levels 5 and 12 (respectively) free of charge.
>>
>>44103887
>>44103914
What are some good armour options for Druids in that case, excluding bark skin
>>
Instead of rolling 1d20, how would rolling 2d10 go?

Crits would instead be done by hitting the AC exactly.
>>
Hey gang. First-time DM about to start a campaign and wondering what the party limit should be. I have five confirmed players with two more that want to join. Seven seems ridiculous but I hear 5e is much easier to have a bigger party.

Also is there a DM on YouTube I should watch to get an idea of a good game of D&D?
>>
>>44104257
0.002 difference towards higher numbers
>>
>>44104268
Let all 7 in.
Session 2 two of them won't show up.
Session 3 another won't show.
You'll have your core 4 from there on.

Or maybe I'm just an old bitter DM who's had too many groups.
>>
>>44104283
Hey, you made that up
>>
>>44104257
What would be Nat 1?
>>
>>44104257
>Crits would be done by hitting the AC exactly
With bonus, or without?
If this includes the bonus, then this leads to a lot of situations where having a high attack bonus would make you less likely to crit.
>>
>>44104494
Without. If they've got AC higher than 20, suck it. They can't be crit.
>>
>>44098213
Really? That's a fucking shame.
>>
>>44104268
I've done 7 players its possible. 5 is better obviously.
>>
>>44104114
Ironwood, Dragonscale Mail.
>>
>>44103996
Which adventure?

Stop being jerks and just take the adventure hooks
>>
Hey guys, quick question. I've only played two campaigns of 5e, and I'm not that used to it. Would you say it's normal for a level 5 paladin to have an AC of 21? It seems a little high, considering some Dragons only have AC 22.
>>
File: 1445211401377.jpg (422 KB, 630x865) Image search: [Google]
1445211401377.jpg
422 KB, 630x865
>>44105122
level 5. Assuming he's got the defense fighting style and wearing plate armour (which isn't too outlandish for a campaign with a lot of loot), that would bring his AC to 19. Add a shields +2 and you get 21.

Perfectly plausible anon.
>>
>>44105122
Plate = 18
Shield = 20
Defense Fighting Style = 21
>>
>>44103949
Like all illusion magic it depends on the DM.
>>
>>44103996
If it was his first time GMing then holy Christ you guys suck. If not then when an idiot.
>>
>>44105151
>>44105161

That exactly what he's doing, hahaha. I thought I might have been doing something wrong. Cheers, guys.
>>
Can someone explain the Challenge Rating system to me? Is a lvl5 meant to be able to 1v1 a CR 5 creature in a fair fight?
>>
>>44105245
No, a party of four level 5 adventurers have a medium encounter with a CR5
>>
>>44105254

Ah, I see. Why four? Seems arbitrary.
>>
>>44105265
In-game? Yes. In the metagame? Four is probably the best size for a party. DM's attention is less split, party can fulfill most roles easily, five people (players + DM) is an easy group size to coordinate out of game.
>>
>>44104268
4-5 optimal imo. Focus on delivering a good story for each character. You don't want people get bored and drop out because you couldn't engage them all simultaneously. Don't overestimate your skills.
>>
>>44097453
>Running away
>Ever

I'm sorry but when I fight something I'm gonna hack and slash until it's dead. If you don't want this to happen don't put your BBEG in front of the players that early
>>
>>44103035
Screencap it to remind yourself of your worth here, fellow anon. For without you, many wouldnt have that joy. Its an honor to post in the same thread as thee, oh anon.
Dont let the darkness or virt currupt your soul.
>>
>>44103838
>ripped wizard.
>check sheet... its got str8.
>>
>>44105464
Go back to playing Diablo and leave the rest of us alone.
>>
>>44106044
Dont reply to Virt.
Dont ask him to share his stories.
>>
>>44096310
Is he using the poisons? That's a good combat boost, even assuming everybody passes the saves all the time. It's not like you can buy magic items anyway, use that gold for something!
The assassin works best if the group can into stealth, if he's the only one hiding it won't work as well, but he's an ass for not even trying.
>>
>>44106102
>>44096310
Playing OotA with an wood elf assassin right now, I only grabbed it for the assassination feature, the rest is meh and Im not looking forward for any of them. That said, the advantage + sneak attack on the first attack is saving our asses. Im also grabbing all the poisons I can get a hold of, I managed to knock out some pretty strong enemies thanks to the drow poison and some luck, including a buffed Gnoll and an elite drow.
>>
>>44106074
>inb4 no biggie
>>
This week I was reading the elemental evil book and thinking about making a coast druid, because I always loved water themed characters.
As it turns out, most of D&D water spells are now on elemental evil, and a lot of them look fun as satyrs.
Here is what I was thinking: changing all my circle spells so I can have a fully themed water druid.
What do DMs at /tg/ think? Unbalanced?

(Also, is Tsunami the coolest 5th edition spell or what?)
>>
>>44106427
Nah, it will be ok.
>>
>>44106427
If you focus on all water, you're going to be all wet.
>>
>>44106552
I knew a water druid once. He's all washed up now.
>>
>>44106427
Sounds fine. The Land Druid expanded spells aren't so consequential that fiddling with them will change things massively.

>>44106572
I once beat a coastal druid at a game of riddles. He was all at sea.
>>
>>44106605
I bet his prospects really went down the drain after that.
>>
>>44106605
You don't need to be so salty, dragging him through the mud like that.
>>
That's enough dry humour for today.
>>
>>44106633
No need to be a wet blanket.
>>
>>44106605
>>44106527
Thanks, I thought my DM wouldn't like the idea of my character not having those support spells (I know my teammates won't)

>>44106552
>>44106572
>>44106605
>>44106620
>>44106624
lol you motherfuckers, that's why I love /tg/

>>44106552
Nasty anon
>>
>>44106686
Support spells are great and every party should like them.
>>
File: 1384734606198.jpg (162 KB, 900x1181) Image search: [Google]
1384734606198.jpg
162 KB, 900x1181
People talk about the Waifu Sword in OotA all the time.
Does PotA have any weird or notable loot in it?
Or HotDQ for that matter?
>>
>>44095856
What kind of houserules do you use to prevent shadowcalypse?
>>
>>44099568

This looks boss as fuck.
>>
>>44105191

On the contrary, it sounds like you're doing Paladin exactly correctly.
>>
What's the best build for sending a Simulacrum out adventuring in your stead?
>>
>>44106820
PotA had the 4 legendary elemental weapons.

My personal favorite of these being Windvane, a +2 Silvered spear with finesse, +1d6 lightning damage, lightning resistance, and Dominate Air Elemental 1/day.
>>
>>44106850
Whats a shadowcalypse?
>>
>>44106900
Be a simulacrum of a once-great wizard. Try to hide this fact. Burnt out all you spell slots long ago and can never recover them. Start training as a martial.. Play like a normal character with class levels. Have the mend cantrip to use for recovery (hit dice). Try to keep yourself together.
>>
>>44098700
Better off dismissing them before they can break free and not using the uncontrolled one unless you are a demon yourself.
>>
>>44107291
Simulacrum can't learn. More specifically:
> The simulacrum lacks the ability to learn or become more powerful, so it never increases its level or other abilities, nor can it regain expended spell slots.

That said, I like the idea. Add in a Geas where the simulacra has to be trying to resurrect the original wizard.
>>
>>44103117
It doesn't really answer how to handle movement.
I'm trying to put together a flesh pile of undead (zombies and ghouls combined), and how do you make movement work?
Having the entire creature move on each of it's turns seems like it would daddle around and do whatever it wanted to the PCs :/
>>
>>44107502
If you're looking for a pile of monsters that gets weaker as the PCs fight it, he also wrote an article that would be useful.

http://theangrygm.com/elemental-boogaloo/
>>
>>44095856
What would a space marine from WH40k look like in the 5e?
What would The Emperor be like? Paladin, Fighter, Cleric, Mystic?
>>
>>44097829
>Human enemies being really powerful can come as a surprise.
And it's still surprising round after round of him destroying the party? It never stops being surprising and maybe prompts you to change tactics? Are you dumb?
>>
>>44103493
Start paladin, and take 3 levels of paladin total. Divine Favor adds 1d4+CHA to your melee swings when combined with your Undying Light stuff. Devotion is the best archetype because the channel divinity makes your sword a beacon of light and lets you add +CHA to attack rolls made with it for the duration but it's not so much better that you couldn't justify a different archetype.
>>
>>44106900
Deep Gnome Abjurer with Svirfneblin Magic feat. Although your hit points are halved, you ward isn't, and you can refresh a 31 point ward 6 points every round by casting Nondetection. Otherwise, stick to cantrips and rituals as much as possible.
>>
So when a Human and a Half-Elf love each other very much, would the deity of storks birth a "Quarter-Elf" every time, or is there a chance the kid(s) can end up either full Human or another Half-Elf?

I'm probably answering my own question here, but I guess I could say that one kid could have very human characteristics to the point that everyone sees a human and I could just roll him as a human, and another adopts the half-elf parent's traits, therefore Half-Elf stats.
>>
>>44108501
the term half is a catch all for saying they share both type of gene species, so decedents of the original interracial offspring may be deluded to 1/10 elf, but they will still qualify as a half elf.
Your way works too, but then why even bother saying he had an elf parent if everyone just thinks hes human?
>>
>>44106044
Stop being a coward and fight things like a man.
>>
>>44108665
natural selection at work nothing to see here people
>>
>>44108707
I know you are but what am I?
>>
File: spookyHiRez.gif (994 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
spookyHiRez.gif
994 KB, 500x500
>>44108501
Half-elves and half-orcs typically can't have children very easily, a major reason why they don't have their own civilizations. They have 80%+ sterility rates, this why they're considered different species rather than just a human subspecies.
>>
>>44097453
They don't like your game and are trying to an hero to be done with it
>>
>>44108958
Pretty much this, anytime you have players acting like their characters have death wishes they secretly don't want to play your game because it sucks.
>>
>>44108826
[Citation Requested]
>>
>>44107758
Mystic all the way.
>>
>>44108586
I'm rolling up two siblings going on separate, parallel campaigns with the same group of players. I want to have it so that in the event the two parties bump into each other, nobody would ever believe the two are blood related just by looking at them and seeing radically different racial features. Just for the sake of a bit of flavor (and to justify one with Human stats and the other with Half-Elf).

Regardless, I ask because the description for Orcs in the Monster Manual mention that offspring with other races can result in either Half-Orcs or seemingly full-blooded Orcs. I wonder if such chance would also apply to the other mixed races, namely elves or specifically a Human&Half-Elf in this case.

I mean, real world, genetic bias where children of the same family appear to have the physical traits of one side of the family and the other is dormant is not uncommon.

>>44108826
I see. Well, 80% isn't 100%, so the parents got lucky.
>>
>>44108826
Never heard/read this. Some material would even suggest this is not the case
>>
>>44095856
What to do in the duergar city in OotA?
>>
>>44109270
Orcs are freakish rape monsters with genetic override on everything they fuck. They are a special case. I would assume half-elves work in a more typical fashion, with elfishness being expressed by percentage of elf blood.
>>
>>44109399
Get kidnapped by a cult of some kind and given quests.... also, you cant slip, or they will fuck you up good.
>>
>>44109472
>cult
its not a cult, its more like a dragon dildo fandom.
>>
>>44109499
>dragon dildo
enough with the buzzwords and thats not what happens!
>>
>>44109499
fandoms are cults
>>
>>44109410
Dont listen to anons bullshit, real life genetics dont apply to phantasy genetics.

>>44109543
you can say that again!
>>
>>44109472
>cult
didnt happen to my party, arent you thinking of islubladop?
>quests
yeah, like every other place.
>>
>>44109553
By percentage is more in line with fantasy genetics than real life genetics
>>
What's more combat effective, or would I get the most mileage out of as far as fighting styles, according to the Math Gods:

>Be Level 7 Half-Orc Ranger, who favors javelins
>Hunter - Colossus Slayer, Multiattack Defene
>Archery Style with the Sharpshooter Feat, 18 Dexterity
>Dueling Style with 20 Dexterity

Also, assume ranged / melee situations would be 50/50.
>>
>>44109744
*Defense

If I'm doing the math right, on a target that's already damaged, it looks like this:

>+9 to hit (3 Proficiency, 4, Dex, 2 Archery)
>1d6 + 1d8 + 4 (dex)

vs.

> +8 to hit (3 Proficiency, 5 Dex)
> 1d6 + 1d8 + 5 (dex) + 2 (dueling)
>>
File: 1449005823773.gif (3 MB, 800x708) Image search: [Google]
1449005823773.gif
3 MB, 800x708
>>44107758
Bolter(Standard issue bolt)

4d10 piercing/fire damage | Ammo 24 magazine, full reload | Range 120/800 | Burst kick(STR 22), Heavy, Two-handed

Anti-Personnel:
Whenever you critically hit with the Bolter using anti-personnel type ammunition on Large or below sized creatures, it reflects that a bolt detonated in a target's vitals(such as the neck), the target can make a CON Death Saving throw DC (large 12/ medium 16/ small 20/ tiny 24); if failed the target instantly dies creating a cloud of bloody mist and guts. On sizes beyond large or if the target passes the Death Save, you simply deal maximum base weapon damage(40) but you still roll the extra critical damage dice.

Bolter Burst:
Whenever you use burst fire the bolter, it fires 3 bolts into a 10ft cube within 120 feet, targets must make a DC 20(-1 to DC for every 10 feet away) DEX saving throw, if failed the targets take full weapon damage.
Without at least 22 STR when using Bolt Burst, you must make a DC10 STR check; if failed you fall on your back, if you roll a 1 you drop the Bolter and your primary hand's shoulder is dislocated(unable to use arm) until your next short rest; taking 1d10 damage as well.
>>
>>44109980
Talk about SPECIAL.
wheres the marine power armor, class and shit?
Now I need more!
>>
>>44109399
nice dubs.
You survive, you play along, you DONT LET THE FUCKING PALADIN PROMISE THEM ANYTHING, HIS FUCKING DEVOTION OAT WILL GET YOU ALL FUCKED.
>>
>>44110194
How did you know my party has a paladin with the devotion oath?
>>
>>44109980
>Bolter
>need 22 strength
>Normal humans can use them in 40k

The fuck man?
>>
>>44110270
Oh, thats easy.
I watch you party play. I know you already posted here, asking questions like that... it got me.... curious, so I tracked you down. I've been warching your party play... eating your snacks, macking jokes... yeah, the perfect masturbation material... I remember you rolling them dies like a bitch, rolling with advantage,,,, yeah
Just kidding, I just guessed, since paladins are pretty common to have nowadays and devotion is one of the favorite paths to take.
>>
>>44109980
>not STR 14 or 15
C'mon, anon!
>>
>>44107758
Paladin, Fighter or War Cleric.
>>
>>44107762
If I saw a boxer and we both had guns I would think I could take him. Him shooting my kidneys wouldn't deter me. They probably thought he was going down.
>>
>>44110556
>Him shooting my kidneys wouldn't deter me.
No biggie, amirite?
>>
>>44110597
Rub some dirt in it, walk it off.

>>44110556

Also, how would a boxer pull a trigger if he had boxing gloves on? If he doesn't, why are you assuming he's a boxer? Because he's punching? Why isn't he using the gun in his hand? Is it a dog? Wtf are you on about?
>>
>>44110347
>Normal humans can use them in 40k
Normal humans can use scaled-down versions. No unaugmented human can fire a boltgun, much less an Astartes-scale boltgun, without assistance in the form of powered armor or muscular augmentation.

That said, adjusting for scale, if the average human has STR10, then the average space marine would have STR13-14 (adjusted for wargame stats). Your power armor may provide an additional +5 if using the FFRPG rules.

This is still not a good idea.
>>
>>44107758
>SPACE MARINE
>minimum level is 15
>minumus stats
>STR 22, DEX12, CON 22, INT10, WIS16, CHA12
>Gains spells of a war cleric, no matter the class
>martial + simple weapons
>proficient with intimidation
>adds 2 dies to every weapon damage, minimum damage per die is 2.
>mellee attacks are always critical
>If the space marine is thinking about the emperor it gets advantage on all die rolls.
>>
>>44110651
>>44109980
Dammit, is that you, Virt?
>>
>>44095856
How to add a cool, not-so-useless-but-not-on-players-level, girlfriend like character to the game? Just use one of the MM npc things?
Give it anime-like bonds?
>>
DMing first time with group of all new guys, I've lurked here for the last couple of months because I love D&D, starting getting stuff up getting ideas going, but they asked what the theme would be. They wanted me to pick a reason for them all to be together and to be adventuring so I gave them some options to hopefully get them excited.
1. Each has been from a village that got wrecked by a BBEG and they're teaming to bring him down.
2. They wanted to start their own guild and work their way up in their city to be the best of the best and rich
3. They all want a wish from a magical artifact that can grant any material wish whatsoever
Am I doing okay in this? I think I am.
>>
File: co.jpg (385 KB, 1148x1482) Image search: [Google]
co.jpg
385 KB, 1148x1482
>>44110788
This is how I Warlock.
>>
>>44110812
Whats the BBEG deal?
I hope they are not thinking that guilds are like in World of Warcraft or Assassins Creed.
What artifact is that, what setting is this?
>>
>>44110812
>1. Each has been from a village that got wrecked by a BBEG and they're teaming to bring him down.
Sure

>2. They wanted to start their own guild and work their way up in their city to be the best of the best and rich
My players want to do this too, but for the fact that between story arcs they can interchange alt characters. I feel like this will eventually cheapen the storyline, and make it more episodic, I guess?
>3. They all want a wish from a magical artifact that can grant any material wish whatsoever
Make it so the artifact only grants one wish, then disappears a la dragonballs.

>How to add a cool, not-so-useless-but-not-on-players-level, girlfriend like character to the game? Just use one of the MM npc things?

You hate your players, don't you?
>>
what is a good reason for BBEG to raid a city? not just "cuz im evil"
>>
File: Pact Devil.jpg (437 KB, 1736x1474) Image search: [Google]
Pact Devil.jpg
437 KB, 1736x1474
>>44101834
This guy could help.
>>
>>44110863
This is me, and

>>44110859
>I hope they are not thinking that guilds are like in World of Warcraft or Assassins Creed.
That's what my players want to do :/ I've touched on a system in setting, where the real heroes of the realm don't really do that, but have similar affiliations, and cheap knockoff low level adventurers do this with the local Kingdom....they still want to do it.
>>
>>44110825
What does that have to do with the question?

>>44110863
>You hate your players, don't you?
you bet. but it wont last.
>>
File: adventurer_career_prospects.jpg (59 KB, 810x400) Image search: [Google]
adventurer_career_prospects.jpg
59 KB, 810x400
>>44110863
>but for the fact that between story arcs they can interchange alt characters
>>
>>44110873
Retrieve something from the city that they just wouldnt sell or give him access to.
Could be a magic item recipe that he will use to make lands fertile for the poor or prevent a war.
Maybe go back in time to prevent a cataclysm that got his familly killed.
>>
>>44110788
Give the party a Pixie that hangs on her favorite character's shoulder.
>>
>>44110917
I don't know what I'm looking at homie.

>>44109744
>>44109846
Does Dueling even work with Throw weapons? Javelins are melee weapons, but does the Throwing property change anything?
>>
>>44110936
Thats a nice idea, thanks!
>>
>>44110885
>that aren't silvered
wow a monster who actually hates silver how common is it to see a pact devil?
would it be too broken to house rule silver magical for the purpose of ignoring resistance?
is there already an existing weapon that works like silver against specific monsters like fey or fiends?
>>
>>44110892
Yeaaaah.... lets see how you handle that.
Do extra planning on how they get reputation, why woudl people join them, open combats, support from their underling, paperwork and guild management.
>>
>>44110788
someone post that screencap of the npc elf who died for her only friends
>>
>>44110859
>Wow-Ass Guild
I've told them how it works and I am pretty sure they don't' think that...
>BBEG dudeski
A wizard that fucked up a summoning spell and got his dumb spell-ass possessed by demogorgon.
>Artifact, setting?
A super-charged wish artifact that's been blessed by a bunch of gods wanting to watch people struggle for it for entertainment. Forgotten Realms setting because it's the one I'm most comfortable with and I haven't gotten in deep in Grehawk or Eberron yet as I'd like.
>>
>>44110873
Show of power?
>>
File: Adventurers.jpg (223 KB, 598x541) Image search: [Google]
Adventurers.jpg
223 KB, 598x541
Is a balanced party of diverse classes still the recommended style of party in 5e?
>>
>>44110873
Raid, rather than siege? Because they're leading their army on the warpath and need to resupply.
>>
>>44111181
More or less, yeah. I say that as a person who doesn't necessarily believe in worrying about party composition, though.
>>
>>44111181
My group shot down a one-shot adventure that I wanted to run where the party was full of either Paladins or Clerics during a zombie apocalypse in Forgotten Realms :/
>>
File: spacemarineteatime.jpg (139 KB, 533x688) Image search: [Google]
spacemarineteatime.jpg
139 KB, 533x688
>>44110118
Power armor
Requires at least 17 STR and Power Armor Augments

Power Armor Augments(requires augmentation tools): Power armor requires 7 days to become "attuned" to, if you're already have augments it only takes 2 days. This process is painful and augments wearer's nervous system to be synchronized to armor. During this surgery the subject is unconscious. If you have to stop, for whatever reason, you must start the process all over again.
Every day the during the augmentation process without using the proper machinery and specialists, the subject takes 2d10 damage and demands a CON Saving throw DC 8; if failed the target is reduced to 0 HP-- if failed at 0 HP the subject dies.

Purity Protocols: You cannot use any magic items or cast spells while wearing power armor because of the anti-warp protocols installed without a license issued by Ordo Malleus. If you do use magic, a heresy signal will broadcasted into space, alerting the nearest imperium ship(or Chaos) to your heresy, and your power armor will shut down causing to you be paralyzed, unless someone can succeed a DC 30 Investigation check to clean-boot the armor.

Combat enhancements:
The user is considered Large size.
Increases the STR and DEX of user by 5
Movement is increased by 5.
AC is 20
You gain resistance to all damage types
Critical hits against you become normal hits.

Life support: Life support has a battery life of one year of constant use. As long as you wear your helmet and are charged, you are immune to all contact and inhaled poisons and well as drowning effects.
You do not have to eat or sleep while life support is charged.

Sensors: While wearing your helmet, you can detect all lifeforms within 60 feet through terrain and cannot be obscured expect by powerful magic. All power armor shares this information with each other if they are on the same planet and plane of existence.
Full-cover becomes half cover
You have true-sight
Advantage on detecting stealth
>>
Does /5eg/ help with developing character ideas? I have a loose idea and I'm hoping I could get some help fleshing it out.
>>
>>44111378
Mixed bag. You want consistent help? Look into the PHB, for Dungeons and Dragons 5th EditionĀ©
>>
>>44111378
many a times, I wonder if spider druid bro still lurks these threads.
Anyways hit us with your idea and we'll tell you its shit until you find your guy.
>>
>>44111403
Hasn't been of much help so far, unfortunately.
>>
>>44111378
>>44111425
We're not playing your game. The best bet would be to take it to the books, your players, and your DM.
>>
>>44111378
That idea being?
>>
>>44111292
I played in an all-Paladin party.

Didn't really work out too well. We just spammed smites in combat, murdering everything until we ran out, at which point we'd get beaten up a little, heal up, get beaten up again, and long rest.

It got a little monotonous.
>>
>>44111628
All rogue party is much better. I am running one right now and the players are attempting to assassinate the kings second son before he can kill the heir.
>>
>>44111412
>>44111559
>>44111412
I rolled a dragonborn paladin of vengeance. I know it's a bad start, but hear me out.

He's a blue dragonborn and thus grew up with a group of murderous, no-good, Tiamat-worshipping, chromatic dragonborn. Eventually he would be betrayed by his clan, leaving him near death. With his reckless youth behind him, my dragonpal is now trying his best to be one of the good guys. Although he's devoted to ridding the world of evil, specifically worshippers of Tiamat and any members of his former tribe, he's prone to many hiccups in his morality.

It's not much, but I dunno. He's really trying hard to be good, but it's difficult with his history. Also he's a follower of the tenants of Bahamut, but I definitely don't consider him a paladin of devotion. I feel like his relationship with God is a little rocky at times.
>>
>>44111724
I don't see what the problem here is. That's relatively solid for a character concept.

I think the real question here though is what does your character know and feel about Io?
>>
>>44111784
Oh, interesting. Io is new to me. From what I understand, Io is true neutral, being made up of the personalities of both Tiamat and Bahamut, yeah? My character might identify better with Io. Do dragonborn typically worship Io instead of or in addition to another god like Bahamut?

I also feel like my character's struggle with following a lawful good deity might be a trope worth keeping around. Bahamut would likely be one of the driving forces for my character's slow transformation from neutral to good.
>>
>>44111698
Just curious, what are the personalities of the heir and second son like? I've had a similar idea for my players, and I want to know how you're characterizing the sons.
>>
>>44111974
Dragonborn typically worship Bahamut, regardless of color. Io's dead, and worship of dead gods is atypical, though I would imagine most dragonkin would have some reverence for the oldest, most complete dragongod
>>
>>44111974
Well, Io is dead. He died in battle during the Dawn War, being cleaved in half by the Primordial Erek-Hus. The two halves rose as Bahamut and Tiamat, and it is one of the Dragonborn creation myths that the blood that fell when Io was slain created the first Dragonborn. Most dragonborn either worship Bahamut or Tiamat, though all hold reverence for Io as their creator. There are a few who believe that they, being born of Io's blood, can succeed him an attain his former Godhood.
>>
>>44110976
You might have misread, nonmagical weapons that aren't silvered means magic weapons OR silver weapons would hurt this devil. You don't need both.
>>
>>44110951
Nah, I worked it out for my Paladin. The wording of dueling is such that any melee weapon works with it no matter how you attack with it.
>>
>>44112150
Some say a shard of his godhood was squirreled away, outside the reach of both Bahamut and Tiamat, and that it may one day find it's way into the hands of a dragonborn who will become Io reborn.

But that's all 4e fluff, I have no idea what still applies in 5e
>>
>>44112090
The heir is a bit of a dick but in that "Im a gallant noble motherfucker" way. He thinks force is the solution to most problems and makes this known. He is also pretty quick to call out things he sees as injustices which can cause some issues. Especially since he is pretty openly against slavery which is a common practice in the kingdom (he has a slave lover that the party hasn't found out about yet)

His younger brother is a bit more of a reserved person. While the heir got to go serve as the kings squire during the war the younger brother stayed in the capital and was being trained to advise his brother in the future when he got the throne. This gave him a better understanding of finances and politics which, along with the heirs loud mouth and uninformed opinions, helped garner supporters from both the noble and merchant houses. Normally he is a quiet and gentle man but he will get his hands dirty when required. He believes that if his brother gets the throne than the kingdom is doomed as no amount of counseling will get through that thick head. The players worked for him prior to help sniff out a spy in the castle. The only reason they found out is that the mastermind decided to rifle through a hidden compartment he found. Inside were various papers that basically spelled out his plan.
>>
>>44110651
Why would a Space Marine have spells?
>>
>>44112264
Gotcha. So does anyone have an opinion on which route I should go that would benefit me the most regarding >>44109744
>>
File: 1447105361389.jpg (38 KB, 238x261) Image search: [Google]
1447105361389.jpg
38 KB, 238x261
Questions from a guy who's about to start learning how to DM.

I want to do it kind of right for the first time, with a personal rule of "common sense ingame determines result" (Not following DCs sometimes, but rather look on the result of the other character and decide if he passes or not, given characters, and in which grade, like talking to someone or trying to use conviction, unless it's a fixed DC/2/3 fixed results, like forcing a lock). The setting is that they have to find the reason the King of the realm they start on is losing his memories and experience as a ruler, while looking for the faggot who gave them butthurt by tattoing them a glowing joker face on their asses

Any tips you could give me? Also, I'd like to force them to participate in a bloody tavern brawl, so that events can unfold. How can I do that wihout it being too forced? I was thinking on setting drunk NPCs fighting beside the party, accidentally hitting one of the players or some NPC- I mean, anything, as long as it gives the party a reason to fight there.
>>
>>44112739
Always have consistent DCs. Making it up each time leads to ridiculous inconsistencies.

Never make plans that require the players do a certain thing (like a barfight) They will find a way to fuck it up somehow. They might just walk away, not be in the right place, toss a spell at it to circumvent it(magic will screw your plans 9 times out of 10), manipulate the whole thing from a distance, something. Have a contingency.
>>
>>44113100
Then I have to create a character sheet for every NPC I create if I want to have as many exact DCs as possible?
>>
How do you guys form the different types of shops in your cities/towns? Do you list out specific items the vendor might have? Or do you just go by the book lists?
>>
>Two new players hand me in character sheets for inspection
>One is a paladin who seeks vengeance on all followers of Malar because his family was hunted and killed by werewolves bearing his symbol
>That players best friend is playing a monk blacksmith whose family believes that one must have mastery over ones body to have mastery of ones craft
>Swore to craft a weapon of incredible might so that his friend might achieve his vengeance

I like this. They are currently level 8 and I plan to start setting up the stuff they will need to craft a magic sword. Once I decide they have found what they need I will let them craft it (I have a year downtime planned down the road) I will probably call for several checks along the way as well.

I was thinking that f they succeed they will craft a Holy Avenger that might have a bonus or two but if they fuck up it will end up as a Weapon of Vengance
>>
>>44111181
In my experience, you generally want at least one full caster, but other than that, you're pretty much fine as long as everyone dosen't make garbage characters.

Having someone who can heal is nice, but not COMPLETELY necessary.
>>
>>44113164
in 5e, we work by the rule of easy/medium/hard for DC 10/15/20. Those who are good at what they do will have an easier chance passing those DC.
>>
>>44113164
I don't understand what you're saying.
Just don't use different DCs for the same task for trivial reasons.
>>
>>44113199
>I want to find a bookstore
>roll streetwise DC10
>there you find your damn bookstore
>I want to find the slave trade market
>roll streetwise DC25
>what the fuck why is it so hard to find an illegal criminal origination ?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.