[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General - Ravenloft Soon Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: ravenloft clouds.jpg (67 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ravenloft clouds.jpg
67 KB, 1024x768
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

>December's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/07_UA_That_Old_Black_Magic.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3069-It-s-Beginning-To-Look-A-Lot-Like-RAVENLOFT

Listen to Chris Perkins seminar, drops some big hints on what's coming.

Previous thread
>>44041581
>>
Predictions from Waifublade Edition.
>>44017357
>>
Am I correct in my understanding that a Winged-Variant Tiefling is still able to fly while using Medium or Heavy Armor the way that an Aarakocra would?
>>
>>44056608
continuing from this

>>44056956

I thought tieflings/aarocrocka's couldn't fly in heavy armour? Or has that been changed?

It's also a method of playing which is sure to make the DM and the players hate you ^^
>>
>On an inn
>Go to my room
>Open door
>GM rolls "you don't see anything strange"
>Me "Ok, I enter"
>2 rogues fall on me from the ceiling and kill me
>GM "Holy shit anon, why did you enter?"
>Me "You told me I didn't see anything strange, so I entered"
>GM "Just because you don't see anything strange doesn't mean nothing is happening"
Should I metagame or something?
>>
I've been thinking of a Wild Sorcerer 1/Arcana Cleric X build for a while now, and was wondering: what 2 Sorcerer spells should I get, given they're the only thing that set off Wild Magic?
>>
>>44057119
Shield and Absorb Elements.
>>
>>44057043
Whats the theme of the campaign, because if you are supposed to be expecting ceiling rogues, maybe its your fault for not checking the room a little better before entering, other than that ceiling rogues in your inn room seems a little random.
>>
I keep seeing stories of GM's accidentally killing people. They do know they're the GM so the could, ya know, not kill them.
>>
>Be a level 6 cleric with lightning lure
>Use it on enemy to pull them adjacent to you and deal lightning damage to them
>Your level 6 cleric ability "thunderbolt strike" then activates and pushes them 10' back
This sounds mostly pointless but fun. However This could cause fun shenanigans with area spells that cause damage when a creature enters them.
>>
File: Bt-9bTwCcAA02HI.jpg (52 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
Bt-9bTwCcAA02HI.jpg
52 KB, 600x800
>>44057043
Did you get a roll to not be dismembered by ceiling rogues? Or did your decision to enter the room directly and immediately lead to your death?

The obvious choice is to reroll a character minmaxed for fighting ceiling rogues.
>>
>>44057119
Honestly? Shield and Chromatic Orb. Depending on your god, the Diamond you need as the material component (which is NOT consumed, unlike most spells that require diamonds) could also serve as your Holy Symbol.
>>
>>44057231
A lot of starting GMs feel that fudging things even a little is cheating, and they're not necessarily used to the fancy new mechanic that tries to do more or less what, say, edge would be in Shadowrun.

I already knew as a kid playing 2e that sometimes it's more fun if you fudge things a bit (and capture players instead of killing them)
>>
>>44057043
>ceiling rogues instakill you
You should slap your DM
>>
>>44057248
Like I said, GM rolled for me.
>>
So I want to play a meat wall that has a shit ton of HP is there a better way than a Hill Dwarf Barbarian with the tough feat? I really don't want to play a druid so that is out.
>>
File: happy-seal.jpg (447 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
happy-seal.jpg
447 KB, 1600x1200
>mfw 5e Al Qadim Homebrew game
>mfw Mastermind Rogue Londo Mollari expy
>mfw 2e Al Qadim merchant-thief rules translate perfectly
>mfw guy that plays shit-tier paladins plays bro-tier fighter mamluk to my merchant caravan
>mfw bro-tier GM sends us on grand adventure fit for the Arabian Nights
>mfw entire table is pulling in the same direction, and a game goes good for a change.

Anyone else having an awesome time at their table?
>>
>>44057576
Not yet but considering the first adventure I'm writing for my table is basically Al-Qadimesque fun stuff, I expect to, especially with awesome players.
>>
>>44057545
One level dip into Immortal Mystic for passive HP Regen below 1/2 life maybe? Maybe something to get heavy armor proficiency so you can grab the feat reducing all incoming damage by 3. If you apply it after barbarian rage reduction you can take incredibly small amounts of damage. There may also be a rogue ability that lets you use your reaction to half damage taken from an attack.
>>
>>44057606
>>44057576
>Al'Quadim love
Sad that terrorists mean that my favorite setting will never get an official update out of more than just a small UA at best.
>>
>>44057576
>Running a Primeval/Prehistory campaign
>Playtesting homebrew material
>Resident Powergaming fuckwit giving genuinely insightful feedback
>Furfag indulging their "carnivore instincts" as Primal dragonborn subrace
>Isn't a magical realming it
>Regular Healerbro getting in touch with nature for once
>Caveman speak all day

It not perfect system. But good time is being had.
>>
>>44057676

>Prehistory

My nugget. Ugh want dinosaur stats. Give ugh.
>>
>>44055703
I got approval from my dm to have a dragonmarked dragonborn dragon sorcerer, it's been a good time.
>>
>>44057606
>>44057655

May you live a thousand years, Effendis, and see glorious Zakhara shine once more in illuminated tomes.
>>
>>44057691
Ugh need look Monster Manual. Page 79. Not have homebrew stats finalized yet.
>>
>>44057732

Ugh not good read. Stupid like pig. Mm... pig. Ugh read now.
>>
>>44057694
Which house, which color, and which color?
>>
File: tf2.jpg (810 KB, 2550x1725) Image search: [Google]
tf2.jpg
810 KB, 2550x1725
>>44056942
On the topic of 5e-

Some premade encounters:
koboldpress.com/archives/20595

and

A map dump: >>44047941
>>
File: orlok10202125.jpg (159 KB, 717x1100) Image search: [Google]
orlok10202125.jpg
159 KB, 717x1100
>>44056942
I've fallen out of love with 5e because I was never crazy about forgotten realms, but I will definitely get into a ravenloft game. I wish Ravenloft would just be it's own game, seprate from dnd
>>
>>44057748
Red, Bronze, Orien
>>
File: Uktena.jpg (168 KB, 963x896) Image search: [Google]
Uktena.jpg
168 KB, 963x896
>>44057576
>Running Wild Western fantasy campaign
>World has been around since 3.X and shifted a little over the years
>Basic premise is exploring the fey-infested West after magitech fascists won the Civil War
>Boar-mounted train robberies being repelled with Warforged assistance
>Elven chiefs going nuts turning into eldritch monsters, one awakening a thunderbird as he warps his tribe into harpies
>Pic related as the equivalent for ancient dragons
>Colonies used as equal parts dumping ground and laboratory for bored magitech fascists' pet projects
>Party currently composed of a half-elf troubadour rogue, a fussy rich boy who stole his father's magitech armor, and a recovering nationalist who realized in the field that 'No, John, you are the demons'

Gunsmoke and Goblins > Dungeons and Dragons
>>
>>44057844
>not having both
The only major tweak I did from Al Qadim's Arabian Night at the height of the Caliphate feel was a more ottoman feel and Jezail armed bandits/caravans.
>>
File: Chiroptera Therianthrope.jpg (69 KB, 600x959) Image search: [Google]
Chiroptera Therianthrope.jpg
69 KB, 600x959
>>44057906
Dragons exist back in the Old World, just not in the New which is where all of the action takes place. Layers on even more culture shock and fully divorces the two continents of 'comfortable' terrors. Instead of worrying about hobs and dragons and trolls, you've got goblins and uktena and wendigo.

Not to mention therianthropes, the result of one of the aforementioned pet projects. Started during the Civil War equivalent as a means of creating the perfect sleeper biological weapon. One trigger word received, and Old Farmer Johnson who'd managed to escape a PoW camp begins to rip off his skin to reveal the slavering monster within.
>>
>>44056942
Any good condition reference sheet that I can print?
>>
>>44057970
It's shit fluff too. You can't just read it and know anything, even if you have every book you're still lost.

Esp. the number of Gods...
>>
>>44058027
If its so easy why aren't you doing it yourself? There are only like 3 guys that have a hand in 5e (maybe even less than that who work on splats and adventures). If you expect them to churn out a few a year certainly you can make all the option you need in your spare time.

Speaking of which, what options do you need that aren't already in the books and AREN'T being playtested right now?

Not even fanboying here, but seriously what do you want from them? To make economically unsound decisions?
>>
>>44058264
Tome of Battle would nice, martial classes are just so useless in 5E.
>>
>>44058313
Really? Martials feel more effective in combat than ever to me. At least for dealing damage.

I will give you that they're just boring, though. They don't have a lot of crunchy options in or out of combat. You can do whatever with roleplaying but you can do those just as well as a caster too and have some narrative fuckery in your toolkit as well.
>>
>>44058357
He's mostly spouting a meme, but you are closer to the truth. Sure, a martial character make take out of lot of a monster's meat points, but that's pretty much all they can do, and their method of doing so tends to just be, 'I hit it' with varying intensity. It just lacks either the weeaboo wonder of Tome of Battle level shit or the tactical depth of something like 4E.

Are they better than 3.X martials? Definitely. Are they still usually trapped in the 'I attack' role? Definitely.
>>
File: Transmogrifist.jpg (353 KB, 400x554) Image search: [Google]
Transmogrifist.jpg
353 KB, 400x554
Thinking of making a class or subclass based on the Master Transmogrifist prestige class from 3.X.

It'll need a new name from the old prestige class but essentially I want an Arcane version of the Moon Druid that is limited to humanoids, magical creatures, monstrosities, or aberrations (will have to check which of those might be broken). I just like the idea of transforming as a class feature rather than a few devoted polymorph spell slots, limited to beasts, and concentration checks all over the place. It becomes especially neat if you keep the flavor from the prestige class and let the player mix and match aspects of different favored forms to create their own Frankenstein creation creature forms (graft an ability from one form onto another, essentially). Really feels fitting in worlds where horrible wizard creations gone wrong already walk around.

My first thought is a wizard subclass as a parallel to the moon druid subclass with the same level scaling and access to aberrations when druids would get elemental wildshapes. The problem with this I feel is that the wizard has more raw power in the main class than the subclass compared to the druid. So maybe it should cost spell slots to polymorph, with you only able to assume a form of CR = Slot Level Expended?

TL;DR: Arcane flavored shape shifters?
Thoughts?
>>
>>44058313
A whole tome of battle book would be a bit much. At most it would be one class with 3 archetypes and the maneuvers for all of them.
It worked in 3.5 because they introduced 3 new classes, prestige classes, and a whole new system.

In 5e though the whole thing could just be a UA that gives the battlemaster some more maneuvers that feel magical. It would be a few pages tops and you could really homebrew in what you felt was iconic and just do it yourself. But you probably wont, because nothing in ToB was particularly iconic.
>>
>>44058499
>implying quality in an UA
>>
>>44058422
>that's pretty much all they can do
And manoeuvers, and incapacitating, and class abilities outside of combat, and skills.

Have you actually checked the save or sucks this edition? Because most of them are incredibly shit at doing anything but minion control
>>
File: The Witch.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
The Witch.pdf
1 B, 486x500
I was looking for a witch homebrew, since I really liked the one in Pathfinder and found this.

I like it but was wondering if it's overpowered?

What does /tg/ think?
>>
>>44058264
>List of things that I want to see in 5e
-Classes/subclasses/prestige classes-
Binder
Archivist
An actual
an actual spellthief not arcane trickster that gets the ability after most campaigns fall apart
Sacred fist (or some sort of divine monk)
Master Thrower

-Other-
Illusion, abjuration, divination, and necromancy spells since there are so few of them.
More spells for clerics, paladins, and rangers.
Many more warlock invocations
a few more feats
Magic items for monks
Just magic items in general

I can go on
>>
>>44058422
I used to think 4E had tactical depth, then I realized it's just nova'ing dailies at the right time.

>>44058422
The spells that used to give flat bonuses to typically martial skills(like Jump), now give multipliers; thus making specialized classes better. Knock also got nerfed hard, wakes up the whole damn dungeon.
>>
>>44058573
>spellthief
>what is a wizard with a high Dex
>>
>>44058629
>Doesnt steal spells
Do you even know what a spellthief is?
>>
>>44058611
5e Knock can be funny in the right circumstances, like for a diversion. Also I just imagine the spell knocks the door off its hinges.
>>
>>44058691
I dunno, 5E actually might be just the environment for the spellthief to actually not be shitty for once because of cantrips.
>>
>>44057043
Was there a reason to suspect ceiling rogues? Had you just started a beef with the assassins guild?
>>
>>44058573
>Binder
I like you
>Spellthief
It's like you've been reading my wishli-
>Master Thrower
Okay, are you me?

Seriously, these are three things I have been discussing for multiple multiple threads now.

>>44058629
He means a character who takes spells from other casters and use their resources to cast spells rather than a standing pool of their own resources. Not just a stealthy thief who uses spells but a thief OF spells.
>>
>>44058573
>Actual spellthief
>Building a class around fighting one very specific type of enemy. A feat, at best.
>Master Thrower
A feat and a fighting style, like everything else being done with weapons.
>Divine Monk
Yeah, that's fair.
>Binder
Yeah, those were pretty great, and need to come back.
>Archivist
So, a divine wizard. Yeah, that's fair.

Most of these things are pretty easy to homebrew though. Except for Binder, which'd take some work.
>>
>>44058645
Ohhh
>implying we don't all have DMs that would let you roll a spell thief and then never have you fight a single caster NPC or monster
>>
>>44057043
>"You don't see anything strange"
>"Ok, I enter"
>"Why did you enter?!"
What did he expect?
>>
>>44058573
Things I want

-Ranger with stances paths, just like the weaboo fighting from 3.5
-Geanie origin for sorcerer
-geanie patron for warlock
-elemental domains for cleric
-healing wizard
-new path for bard

To the other part ou mentioned I would also add more optional rules. Lots and lots of optional rules.
>>
>>44058860
When you think about genies in an archetypical sense, what do you think, and how would you translate that into mechanics?

>Life Wizard
Will never be done by Wizards because of niche segregation.
>>
What sort of weapons should Royal Guards be equipped with? Was thinking greatswords but my group has a tendency to fuck around to see how much I let fly.
>>
>>44058860
>Ranger
Ehh I have given up on rangers. They obviously dont know what to do with them.
>Genie origins for sorc and warlock
As someone who appreciates the Sha'ir I agree
>elemental cleric domains
agreed. I would also like to see a divination based one.
>Healing wizard
No thanks.
>New path for bard
Dirgesinger please.
>>
>>44058886
>Life Wizard
Meh, I dont mind, just having the option would makes me comfy.
>>
more reptile options please
>>
>>44058913
Why dont they just hire someone whos actually entusiatic wth the game and is veryproductive, while still knowing how to mantain balance and follow the rules?
>>
>>44058916
Like whitemages from Final Fantasy?
>>
>>44058980
>Feats for sorcerer origins and warlock patrons
Are you high or just retarded.

Feats are not the answer to EVERYTHING anon so quit spouting that shit.
>>
File: chrissy p.jpg (78 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
chrissy p.jpg
78 KB, 1280x720
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiqCXuS8n8g

>roleplaying in a computer game with people in the same room

Why haven't you joined the future, /5eg/?
>>
>>44058916
Isn't the whole point of Life magic that it's off domain to Wizards? (Besides Wish)
>>
>>44058980
>paths and domains are glorified feats
Yeah sure, champ.
>>
>>44058949
>Why dont they just hire someone whos actually entusiatic wth the game and is veryproductive, while still knowing how to mantain balance and follow the rules?
Because the Legends of the Wulin devs probably don't play D&D anymore.
>>
>>44058980
Shut up, Virt, you are losing it for good, o best gamer this board has to offer, no biggie and so on and so forth.
>>
>>44058980
Feats are an optional rule, kiddo.
>>
>>44059031
Go home virt you're drunk.
>>
>>44059007
Yeah, I was thinking on something more like white mages from final fantasy.

>>44058971
Yes!
>>
As terrible as the oversatuation of feats were, I did like how much customization it felt like you had. It even made playing fighter 100 times in a row feel different.
>>
>>44059031
>Any DM who uses a computer should commit suicide. I am serious. It is 90% of time shit DMing.

But specifically using what appears to be a terrible computer game and then doing this ON TOP of that, it actually looks quite fun.

Generally I agree although I can see how it speeds things up. Ctrl+F and scrolling can be a blessing compared to flipping through 3+ books and a ring binder full of notes.
>>
>>44059031
>require taking it at 1st level
So only Variant Humans get to make characters?

>>44059007
I mean, it's technically just Necromancy or Conjuration, depending on the edition.
>>
>>44059031
>MUH HOMEBREW HOUSERULES >>>> THE RULES YOUR SHITTY PARTY FOLLOWS
>>
>>44059050
Just paste the no biggie copypasta, you know you want to, Virt.
>>
>>44059071
Eh, weak impersonation. You might could troll pretty nicely as your own man, but you really don't have Virt's mannerisms or lexicon down.
>>
>>44058901
No joke, Halberds or Pikes. Elite personal guards were historically armed with Nice, heft, lengthy polearms. Take the Papal Swiss Guard for example.
>>
It seems like a really big oversight to not give the class that can explicitly make demonic pacts demonic summoning magic.

Why does WotC hate warlocks?
>>
>>44059031
>>44059071
>>44058860
>>44059094

Look kid, Im a seasoned player, some might even say that Im one of the best, if not the best, gamer this board has to offer. Dont believe me? I have over 300 hundred board games at my house, over a 100 at my arms reach right now. Card games? I got a deck for every possible combination of cards of M:tg, I even go to tournments and shit. No biggie. D&D? I'm proud to say that as a player I'm always the party leader, maxed as I can be and I'm not afraid of taking that extra edge that puts me ahead of enemies and allies alike. Hell, I got to get paid for having sex with hot girls and killing dragons with my expert builds. I like to shit on the GM one-directional adventures, by solving it with brains and brawl instead of one or the other, wether the party likes it or not. When Im the GM, Im proud to say that NO PARTY ever finished one of my adventures. Think you're gonna face some lazy sleepy goblins? Think again, they are fully trained comandos, that will attack and take full cover before you can do shit. Dont hate the player, hate the game. WH40K? Dont even get me started, kiddo, shit would blow your weaklings mind on how real it gets.
So when I fucking tell you shitheads that feats > paths, giving way more fluff and power althogether, you shut up and listen.
Bet you edgelords are the all the fuckwards that complain about the party leaders plans and do shitty decisions all the time.
So yeah, if any you were in my party, I would kill you and make you keep making new characters, so I could kill them again.
>>
>>44059133
They got tired of bullying rangers, but they will be back at it in no time.
>>
>>44059103
And the Emperor's Royal Guards, as well.
>>
>>44059133
Here's my guess at Mearls' thought process behind that:

"Huh, Warlocks should get these too. They make demonic pacts after all. But wait, that only makes sense for the Fiend patron. And even then, that's mostly a Devil thing. It would be unfair to the other patrons. Alright, that settles it, warlocks aren't getting them."
>>
>>44059155
Goddammit, Virt, why do you have to be like that?
Are you so deep into that style that you lost yourself?
There is still hope Virt, even for you!
>>
>>44059210
You talking shit to the best gamer this board has to offer?
>>
>>44058980
Why not replace path stuff from levels for feats and see what happens, anon?
>>
>>44059210
>implying that's virt
>>
>>44059245
Yeah, the real Virt would've called 5e "D&Dnext".
>>
>>44059245
Eh, Virtual Optim, Actual Optim.

Potato, Potahto, really.
>>
>>44059245
Virt has become more like a behavior than the actual virt now.
>>
>>44059291
So Virt is like some disturbing mind-virus?
>No Anon...YOU are the Virt!
>>
File: intellect-devourer.jpg (50 KB, 400x358) Image search: [Google]
intellect-devourer.jpg
50 KB, 400x358
>>44059316
Maybe he always was.
>>
File: virt.png (628 KB, 1023x921) Image search: [Google]
virt.png
628 KB, 1023x921
>>44059291
>>44059316
>>
File: 1425586124995.jpg (32 KB, 360x479) Image search: [Google]
1425586124995.jpg
32 KB, 360x479
>>44056942
Why is it that all that shit in this month's Unearthed Arcana related to summoning demons can't be used by Warlocks?

Furthermore why do they keep releasing shit for wizards/sorcerers instead of any of the other classes
>>
>>44059339
see
>>44059199
>>
>>44056942
>Forgotten Realms - Overly detailed kitchen sink fantasy with Mary Sue NPCs and magic out the ass

>Ravenloft - World of Darkness ripoff with Lovecraft's nonsensically exaggerated insanity rules and no fun allowed

What next? Dragonlance? If you're going to be the most derivative edition of D&D ever, at least try to derive the good stuff.
>>
>>44058570
>>44058570
>>44058570

anyone care to check?
>>
File: youshallwantsomemtdew.jpg (180 KB, 534x900) Image search: [Google]
youshallwantsomemtdew.jpg
180 KB, 534x900
Why players so afraid to play multiple characters? 5E makes it pretty easy.
>>
Does /tg/ still make homebrew content?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dm7cymghws1qune/AADpKKD-ln5X3ucrsBOGRuILa?dl=0

hasn't been updated in ages.
>>
>>44059405
Easy to run multiple character sheets, sure.

Compare it to playing a part in a film. Let's say Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (sorcerer's stone for you yanks).
Neville and Harry are both played by the same character. That's cool, and in the rare cases that the two meet during a combat encounter there isn't an issue.
When Neville and Harry have conflicting goals, the player chooses one character over the other and poor Neville gets fucked over constantly.
Harry, as the player's favourite, gets 1000% more limelight, to the point that for a lot of the campaign we forget that neville is even involved.

It would be better by far for the DM to play neville, and make him the sorta comedic side character who has useful knowledge from time to time but otherwise acts as any NPC.
>>
File: 1442184081463.gif (4 MB, 270x263) Image search: [Google]
1442184081463.gif
4 MB, 270x263
>>44059372
God dammit. I hate Mearls. I want Heinsoo back.
>>
File: The Journey.png (2 MB, 2000x1125) Image search: [Google]
The Journey.png
2 MB, 2000x1125
>>44059449
I was just panning to make up some homebrew stuff but I'm not sure what I feel like designing. Any requests?
>>
>>44059577
God Hand / Divine Fist
>>
>>44059577
I always liked Artificer and Wu Jen.

Then there are classes no one seems to remember, such as Beguiler and hell, Master of the Unseen Hand. I would love to see a working MotUH in 5E.
>>
>>44059591
Monk Subclass?
Or are you looking for something more unique?
>>
>>44059577
4e seeker designed for 5e?
>>
>>44059663
So like, the Spirit Ranger, only not unfinished dogshit?
>>
>>44058550
Are you okay, anon? I'm worried about you.
>>
File: Kankuro_with_Karasu.png (2 MB, 1388x1050) Image search: [Google]
Kankuro_with_Karasu.png
2 MB, 1388x1050
>>44059577
>>44059626

Also, forgot to mention some kind of "puppetmaster."

Don't really want to post anime pics but this was pretty much the only pic I could use to define the guy.
>>
>>44059577
A Virt enemy.
>>
Still waiting on some sweet loving Eberron pickupage, Eberron being arguably the best setting of all time to be published by WotC.
>>
>>44059738
Well, personally I love Darksun.
It will come, anon.
>>
>>44059626
MotUH is so bad a narrow in scope I almost feel like taking up the challenge.
If I were to do it properly though it would probably need to either be a subclass for the Mystic or yet another wizard subclass.

Maybe blend in some Argent Savant (Force Mage) features to make it have a little more utility. Making force spells have no visible energy would still give the proper feel though.
>>
File: Marionettist.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Marionettist.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44059723
>implying that hasn't been made yet

Playing one right now, just hit 3rd level. Seriously, people, don't ignore the Middle Finger. It is pretty much a one-stop shop for good shit.

>http://middlefingerofvecna.blogspot.com/2015/08/marionettist.html
>>
File: Zalgo Portrait Final+motley(1).jpg (2 MB, 4724x5906) Image search: [Google]
Zalgo Portrait Final+motley(1).jpg
2 MB, 4724x5906
>>44059723
And while I'm at it, here. Art of the MYSTICAL ZALGO GULTARI.
>>
>>44059397
no
>>
>>44059738
I know it's a setting, but will Eberron "work" in 5E?

I've never played it, but from what I understand it's very high-magic. Plus I've seen posts that say it worked especially well in 3.5 or 4E for different reasons.

The UA felt pretty lackluster to me.
>>
>>44059762
>>44059776
Noise.
>>
http://i.imgur.com/43ATOY8.jpg

anyone know where the updated version of this?
>>
>>44059814
The UA was from a time before Mearls had any idea what he wanted to do with UA. Also it had ZERO input from Keith Baker, who they will probably at least consult for ideas on any official 5Ebberon product.
>>
>>44059861
>created by a reddit user

Why the hell would we know? Why don't you ask there?
>>
>>44059814
Eberron is low magic except for some feats of wonder like magic trains. It is however, pervasively magical and it matches up almost perfectly to an edition where anyone can learn ritual casting or basic Magic Initiation and where all but 5 subclasses are magical in some way.
>>
>>44059393
>implying Ravenloft was bad
>calling a setting that's older than White Wolf a WOD ripoff
Also Ravenloft's sanity was a very rarely used saving throw.

I'm sure you'll get your Eberron.
>>
>>44059670
i guess so, the thing i liked about seeker in 4e was how thrown weapons worked with the spiritbond option they got
>>
>>44059397
Dude, just play a core caster already.
>>
>>44059861
>including DLC in your flow chart
t o p k e k

>>44059912
Really, the issue with Eberron is it is the one setting where Magic Item Marts exist canonical, and 5E does not at present handle magic items in such a way that they are more or less omnipresent in high doses.
>>
>>44059912
You have no idea what low magic means, for which I blame 3e. Eberron has fucking mass produced magic.
>>
>>44059932
I wouldn't know, I only made use of seeker to have a Slayer that could into RBA.
>>
>>44059449
I came up with some options for all the classes (except druid), and emailed the guy in charge of the homebrew, but I'm not sure if he's updating the list anymore.
>>
>>44059956
want to post them here?
>>
>>44059933
Sometimes a guy just wants to try something different.
>>
>>44059912
>Eberron
>Pulp Fantasy world
>Dungeon Punk world
>Low Magic
>>
>>44060016
But what thematically are the differences between a witch and a wizard that warrant playing a mechanically different class?
>>
>>44059755
MotHU was a horrible prestige class, but the idea was great.
>>
>>44059956
>guy in charge of homebrew
WotC has a guy in charge of looking into homebrew and making it official or not?
>>
>>44060093
Read the pdf. It has similarities with wizard and warlock and maybe even druid, but it's just different enough that it could work.
>>
>>44060093
Equal Rites for both genders.
>>
File: 6ZH1IEr.jpg (75 KB, 639x475) Image search: [Google]
6ZH1IEr.jpg
75 KB, 639x475
>>44060001
Sure. Here's a link to the dropbox I use with my group.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i0icyxe1s5obfmq/AAB_63R4z09EvBFp7vrDCRAza?dl=0
>>
Which ratio of Dead PCs/Sessions in the campaign is starting to be dangerously That GM?
>>
>>44060141
Nah, the dropbox in the OP is managed by some anon who compiles and updates the list... or did.
>>
>>44059397
Bear Warrior archetype for barbarian.
>>
>>44060247
Whoops, meant for:
>>44059577
>>
>>44060142
Different for the sake of being different does not make a class, anon. You need to explain what the Wizard, Sorcerer and Warlock are missing that warrants an entirely new class.
>>
>>44060235
It doesn't mean the DM is a That DM, sometimes players are just that stupid.

Not that I've ever DM'd before. But I've seen players that don't even try to cooperate together.
>>
>>44059953
High/Low magic refers to the power and scope, not the rarity. A low magic setting can have common ritual workers who take half an hour to cast a level one spell. A high magic setting can have wizards who break the order of the universe with a word but they are all one of five color coded angelic demigods who keep to their towers.

Mass production is a factor of infrastructure, not power level.
>>
Any chance or word on Dark Sun 5E?
>>
>>44060235
The ratio in which the players at the table dislike, you dumbass. If the players enjoy getting murdered, then you're not being a that DM.

If your players are being big babbies and whining, then you're being that DM, but you need to smack them around and make them stop being pussies.
>>
>>44060311
I disagree. I'm not that anon, but low magic also implies the rarity of magic as well. There can be magical artifacts, but they are hard to find, and generally there are very VERY few people who cast magic at all.
>>
>>44060311
So you're saying the setting where there are lightning trains, bound wind elementals to make pseudo-steamships, magical lightning widely available, and Magic Item Walmarts in every real settlement low magic?

Even if you're talking about power and scope, Eberron in 3.5 gave the artificier which is a class as broken as the wizard with access to an even larger supply of self-created minions and mooks than a clerical necromancer.
>>
File: hoopglasses.gif (234 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
hoopglasses.gif
234 KB, 500x500
>>44059912
>Eberron is low magic except for some feats
>>
>>44060142
You misunderstand what I'm asking. What conceptually is the difference between a witch and a wizard? Like when you think of a witch, what is special about it that makes it different from a wizard? And are there enough differences that aren't covered by stuff like spell choices or feats that warrant creating a completely different class?

Just skimming through that pdf it looks like it's just a wizard but with a free Shillelagh, free Broom of Flying, free familiar, and the ability to brew potions. So just based on balance I wouldn't allow it at my table. But I'd also not allow it because the character concept could be done with just the base wizard class using stuff in the PHB.
>>
>>44060424
>So you're saying the setting where there are lightning trains, bound wind elementals to make pseudo-steamships, magical lightning widely available, and Magic Item Walmarts in every real settlement low magic?
Yes, I'm saying that the Not!RealWorld is low magic. At best it's no higher magic than default 5e, which is contrary to what the OP implied.
>>
>>44060272
Okay

First we have the wizard, who learns magic in academy or some shit. He reads books and studies. The wizard often requires much planning and preparation before using magic, and usually cannot perform magic trivially.

Second, we have the sorcerer, he is born with the gift of magic. It comes to him naturally.

Third, we have a warlock. Instead of gaining their power though meticulous training and study like the wizard, or natural-born talent like the sorcerer, they make contracts with very powerful entities and forces and channel that energy.

Now, witches draw their magic from folk wisdom and traditional lore. It is not a theory, nor a gift of any supernatural patron. Witchcraft is concerned with practical, even humble, applications of magic. They can call upon extraplanar powers, but typically for short-term reasons rather than the full dedication of a warlock.
>>
>>44058827

Wouldn't mind a spell sniper for rogue. Don't know why that got skipped over in arcane trickster.
>>
>>44058570
Seems to be rather busy as far as class features go.... Getting a wisdom based melee weapon, the shawl (Free improved mage armour) combined with full caster, free improved familiar and loads of powerful subclass options seems too good.

It looks like you could just play a normal wizard and refluff it or play it in a certain way

Eg, at just have lots of ritual spells, use a component pouch and cauldron, fluff casting the ritual as brewing a small potion and quaffing it.

Take a bakground or the feat that gives you skills to get alchemist's supplies Herbalism kit and poisoner's kit proficiency depending on what you want to do

Enchanter or Artificer wizards would make great witches
>>
>>44060518
That sounds like learning magic to me, just a different tradition.
>>
File: DnD_SCAG.png (171 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
DnD_SCAG.png
171 KB, 300x300
hi /5eg/,

I've liked Faerun ever since playing BG, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights, but I've only recently started giving D&D a go in PnP so I don't own any of the older source books on the Forgotten Realms. I've read the first 7 Drizzt books, however, allthough I sometimes hate them because of the whole Deus ex machina spam (but something always draws me back to them).

BTT: would pic related be a worthwhile buy for me? I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about this and am not sure whether to buy it or not.

Inb4 download the pdf version, I'm a sucker for physical books.
>>
>>44060518
so instead of 'I read a book and study the magic and copy it into my book'

Just say 'I transcribe folk wisdom and traditional lore into my magic sack of magical incantations'

same thing different paint job anon
>>
>>44060588
I quite like it. It's very specifically about the Sword Coast so it isn't the best general overview of the Realms as a whole, but I like how it's written and put together.

It lacks a lot of hard numbers (population, size, and so on) but I think that's a good thing. You can make those up. Does Waterdeep have a few hundred thousand citizens, or does it have millions? This is the "it's up to you" edition, which is refreshing.
>>
>>44060516
It's extremely high magic. Low Magic eberron would be Gothic Earth, not fucking Harry-Potter-Land
>>
>>44060518
>Witch
Just take a Wizard and use Wis instead of Int. That's all you are describing. Take on the Sage background for good measure.

>>44060525
Again, people. Middle Finger of Vecna.

>http://middlefingerofvecna.blogspot.com/2015/07/spellwarp-sniper.html
>>
>>44060518
We asked for necessitated mechanical differences. Changing the fluff from "I learn magic from study" to "I learn magic from tradition" is not enough to justify a new class.
>>
>>44060518
The classical witch already exists, it's a chainlock or a druid
>>
>>44060588
No. The book is a really, really shitty deal. The fluff is nothing new and doesn't even really do a lot to help explain much, and the fluff can and has already even been compiled on imgur. You're paying $40 for 10 pages of crunch and some backgrounds that may as well be written in crayon.
>>
I was thinking in some kind of puzzle that confuses the players in a way that the answer is so easy but they cannot find it, like they are stuck in a room where they have to start a fire to finally see something things like that
>>
>>44060693
maybe a switch that rotates the underground complex they're in,

They're given a really cryptic clue written on the walls of the room, so when they pull it they hear a loud rumble but nothing appears to happen, they'll have to give up and leave before realizing everything has changed
>>
>>44060688
If you want 6e at some point you'll have to pony up for the goddamn books. I'm actually quite happy a lot of the books are fluff heavy because there is one thing, above all, that I hated of the switch to 3e, it was the move to crunch overdose.

The Van Richten's guides were 99% fluff about the monster type each one covered. There was very little crunch in the Planescape setting books aside from the big core box (I still have my copy of the Inner planes and there is next to no crunch). Not having 5 million fucking splat options is good. If anything I feel like the crunch in the setting books should be compiled into a sort of PHB2 that includes both the new generic archetypes and the more setting sensitive shit like Psionics or Ravenloft/Spelljammer/Planescape-special stuff
>>
>>44060659
Health potions are massed produced in the PHB. Nothing in the DMG prohibits constant magical item production. There certainly isn't an economic limitation since there is absolutely nothing else to spend gold on.

Adamantine armor is cheaper than plate mail for fuck's sake. You can't run an adventure without tripping over ten non-consumable magic items. Magic item rarity in 5e is a myth. We've been Harry Potter since the start.
>>
File: Monk1.jpg (78 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Monk1.jpg
78 KB, 1280x720
>>44059629
>>44059591
Way of the Sacred Fist

3rd: Touch of the Divine - Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, your unarmed strike now counts as a melee weapon for the purposes of spells and abilities. Additionally, you can use your ki lo duplicate the effects of certain spells. As an action, you can spend 2 ki points lo cast Branding Smite, Cure Wounds, Divine Favor, or Enhance Ability without providing material components. You also gain the the Guidance and Spare the Dying cantrips if you don't already know them. Your spell casting ability is Wisdom and all spells are cast as level 2 spells. These spells can only be cast on yourself or a willing target you can touch and can target no weapon other than your unarmed strike.

6th: Hand of Redemption - Starting at 6th level, you may as an action, make a plea to an opponent to cease hostilities. The targeted creature must have an intelligence score greater than 3 and must understand the language you speak. You may make an Animal Handling, Charm, or Intimidate check if your DM deems it appropriate. If, before your next turn, the targeted creature takes any hostile action against you or an ally you immediately regain a number of ki points equal to half your level. Once you have regained ki points in this manner you may not do so again until you complete a short rest.
>>
>>44060661
Middle Finger of Vecna sucks. Literally everything they produce is overpowered.
>>
>>44060751
>If you want 6e at some point you'll have to pony up for the goddamn books.
Or just let it die and force Hasbro to sell D&D off to someone who would sort of give a shit.
>>
File: Monk2.jpg (127 KB, 996x608) Image search: [Google]
Monk2.jpg
127 KB, 996x608
>>44060807

11th: Hidden Potential - At 11th level choose two spells of your choice from any spell list. They must have a range of touch and be level 3 or lower. If they require a saving throw, the DC is as follows:
DC = 8+ your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier
You may cast those spells by spending 2 ki points. Additionally, all spells you cast this way are now cast at 3rd level.

17th: God Hand - When you reach 17th level you gain the ability to work minor miracles with your hands. Choose two of the following:
Awaken, Forbiddance, Geas, Greater Restoration, Hallow, Raise Dead, Reincarnation, Regenerate, Sequester, Stone Shape, or Symbol
Once per day you may cast one of these spells without requiring a material component. Spells which specify material components of a specific cost can be cast in this way, but that spell cannot be used again in this manner for one week.
>>
>>44057931
> here's how real men roll stats
> 1d20 - 1d4 down the line (min 1)
> none of this 4d6 drop one
> none of this point buy faggotry.
>>
>>44060751
>implying I do want 6E
I really don't. And the issue with SCAG being 10 pages of crunch and a bunch of relatively useless fluff that's been printed a thousand times before. Due to fact that WizKids is now pretty much just Kike Mearls and two lackeys, we aren't going to get anything like the old Complete X or X Power books or the X Handbooks from literally every previous iteration.

I love fluff books, too. But only when it's actually new fluff that takes us somewhere we haven't been before.
>>
>>44060769
Health potions aren't a real magic item this edition, they're covered by alchemy.
>>
>>44060841
>fighter has 1 int
>knows literally nothing but swinging arms around, firmly grasping, and breathing
>wizard has to feed him with a tube and funnel
>IT'S MANLY AS HELL THOUGH
>>
How would you do Hank's energy bow in 5e?
>>
File: Metal Slime.png (173 KB, 894x681) Image search: [Google]
Metal Slime.png
173 KB, 894x681
So /tg/, last night, as DM, I did something utterly horrible and unforgivable to my players. Something that I unfortunately took a perverse amusement out of and may become a recurring theme of my setting, but I must tell you of this tale in hopes that my sick pleasure will poison you, the reader, and become yours as well.

I threw a metal slime at my players.

For those who don't know, the creature is specific to a game series called Dragon Quest. The stat block has been very literally translated as close as possible, so you can kind of see what it is and why its a big deal.

My players had just gotten through a very roleplay intense session. They had gone up to a mansion and defeated a noble who had been sacrificing women to demons for his wife. All of them had roleplayed very well and gotten themselves into deep trouble, almost killing themselves in the process because of their fantastic character abilities. Risking their lives to save each other, risking their necks foolishly to save the girl, giving away their money to NPCs, all of these fantastic dramatic scenes. Then, to end the night, they were about to move onto the next town to reach their next quest. And that's when they saw it.

At first, they were confused. Of the 6, only 1 of them recognized the picture I pulled up on my phone for the creature. It was just bobbing there with that stupid grin on its face. We rolled initiative, though the players didn't understand why. The first player went up and tried to pet it. And missed. His hand had gone through the space where it occupied as it just casually shifted over to the left about five feet in a blink. Then the second player tried the same thing. Same result, it missed the slime completely. Finally, everyone decided to roll nature checks. I told them that it was a legendary creature that only the most experienced of warriors could take down. Then it moved.
>>
>>44060921
I was using a very simple mechanic for the slime. d%; <50: Slime runs away. >50: Slime uses firebolt if within range where it is, otherwise it flees.

I positioned all of the characters at the very edge of the small battle mat I had, which was roughly about 25 squares in length. So when I told them that it disengaged and then moved all the way clear across the other side in a single move, there were expressions of fear on their faces. One of them decided to fire an arrow. 24 total. Not bad, you hit. Oh, you can stop rolling for damage, it takes 1. Everyone was looking confused at me, so I finally decided to let them in on the joke and read out the stat block that I had created for it above. There were strange looks around, until I finally read out the amount of XP they give out. Then there was just silence.

I think I hit a switch, /tg/. When we started the session that evening, I had a bunch of thespians. I could have sworn we were putting on a stage production at some point. Each and every one of them had, at some point, impressed onto me who their character was without divulging their personal backstory. That was all gone. In its place was this primal urge. "Kill". No more roleplay, no more character back story, no more dark, inner demons. They had to kill this thing, NOW.

Immediately, the game turned into a game. The players were strategizing with each other. The only thing they had that could hit the slime at such a long distance was a single longbow within the party. They took turns switching it between each other, running past each other in an organized line, trying to crit this thing. Tink. Tink. They were hitting on occasion, but nowhere near enough. The slime firebolts. The monk uses his dash and ki just to get up to the creature. The local hero/good guy was spending ALL of his days luck points just to get people another shot. Nothing.
>>
>>44060851
I'm actually thankful we're not getting a bunch of "NEW FEATURE FOR CLASS X, GIB LODSOFEMONE PLS" books for 5e.
>>
>>44060931
After a few rounds, they had whittled it down to a single HP. But it was the creature's turn. I rolled out in the open for them. 34%. However, having a fleeting moment of mercy, I gave them a single OA to hit it. Miss. The slime flees.

This is when the begging happened.

The Slime was outside of the range of the long bow and no one had sharpshooter. All attacks were going to be at disadvantage, and no one had inspiration. ALL of the advantage fishing that could be possible happened.

>Do I get advantage because I hit it twice?
>I should get advantage because I ran over here!
>If I do a sick roll, can I get advantage on the shot?
>What if I fastball-special the ranger?
>If you hand out XP now, then I'm super close to a level, I'm sure I could get an advantage

Sadly, they all took their shots at disadvantage, and the slime, out of range for a firebolt, simply fled.

The mood got sour. If the concept of salty existed in table-top, this would be it. However, it was time to hand out the sessions XP and rewards. I decided that, in light of their excellent roleplaying, and for amusimg me very much with the encounter, to hand them each Inspiration on top of it. Then a player chimed in.

"If we ALL turn in the inspiration, can we get one last shot at the Metal Slime?"

I was floored. To think that they would go this far. "Allright, I'll allow it. HOWEVER, only ONE player may make the shot." There was a small debate about whether the ranger or the champion fighter should take the shot, but after remembering
>only 1 hp
It was up to the ranger. He had a +7. He needed a 16 or better to hit. The entire table was silent as his d20 fell.
>16
"The Slime is finally pierced, and dies. It breaks apart into small orbs of light, and you feel empowered. The group gains an additional 5,000xp".

Cheers. All around.

I assure you /tg/. This will not be the last time they see a metal slime.
>>
>>44060901
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a

Very rare, magic longbow, +2 to attack and damage, produces its own ammunition and deals 2d6 force damage instead of its normal damage.
>>
>>44060871
Alchemy is magic by general definition.
>>
Would a mountain dwarf STR based monk work semi-effectively?
>>
>>44060973
Depends, what sort of job are you giving him?
>>
>>44060971
It's magic in the put a few herbs together and you do shit sense. It's literally just a fantasy energy drink. It's perfectly fine for low magic, unlike your grasping at straws about repicating 19th century tech with high level magic on an industrial level, which for the record 5e potions aren't, they're still supposed to be fairly uncommon.
>>
>>44060950
Wasn't there a PDF of these, with this art?
>>
>>44061024
Nvm i forgot about the no armour req on martial arts
>>
>>44060921
>>44060931
>>44060946

Here's a tl;dr version for people who don't want to read all that.

>DM introduces Metal Slime from Dragon Quest series into his game for the lolz
> Most of the players don't realize what it is
> DM finally lets them in on the joke
> Next 15 minutes the PCs go full murderhobo and try to bum rush the Metal Slime
> They finally kill it as it flees outside of longbow attack range, Metal Slime xp awarded to party

Honestly, probably worth a few chuckles. I may or may not steal that stat block for my own game.
>>
File: eldritch.jpg (101 KB, 680x1084) Image search: [Google]
eldritch.jpg
101 KB, 680x1084
>7th level fighter
>Eldritch Knight
>War Magic
>Anytime you cast a cantrip, you can use your bonus action to make an attack
>take True Strike Cantrip
>Literally every attack with advantage
>Action Surge to somewhat make up for lost attack

I feel like Eldritch Knight is actually kind of badass and doesn't deserve the hate it gets.
>>
>>44060901
Very rare, requires attunement.

+2 bow, produces it's own ammunition made of force energy or can fire normal arrows. When firing normal arrows it's normal 1d8 + Dex mod for damage. When firing force energy arrows it's 2d6 force damage. The force energy arrows are considered magical and will dissipate if it passes through an anti-magic field.
>>
>>44061174
>> Next 15 minutes the PCs go full murderhobo and try to bum rush the Metal Slime
It was more like 30 minutes. There was a LOT of begging.
>>
So I've decided to drop 3.5e/PF and switch up to 5e.
This came about when I made yet another highly optimized character (a Cleric) for PF with every little bonus and ability I could get my hands on so he was highly useful in a wide variety of situations and was your average overpowered PC build, and then realized literally no one cared at the table when I spoke of him, no one was impressed that I accomplished it, and I had been wasting all the time I spent making him because ultimately all he did was perform his intended function in the group.
It was like playing a game of Magic the Gathering and winning, only to realize I was playing by myself and no one was watching and no one cared, and my prize for winning was absolutely nothing.
I'm understandably somewhat disallusioned with 3.5/PF's style of D&D and am looking to go with something different.

I've heard skills and accuracy are heavily reworked in 5e so that it's somewhat more narrative-focused then "constantly stacking bonuses and optimizing builds" focused?
>>
>>44061247
Hence the 'full murderhobo' comment.
>>
>>44061218
1 Attack with Advantage < 2 Attacks
>>
>>44061251

I started learning Pathfinder at the same time 5e came out, I was ready to be done with 4e.

Learning 5e and Pathfinder simultaneously was kind of a fun contrast exercise. Between the two, I prefer 5e. Mostly because I play with folks like my wife and some work friends, and they're definitely more narrative driven folks. Min/Maxing and thematic dungeon crawling isn't really their forte, so 5e lends itself to be more streamlined and have MUCH less number crunching.

Honestly, I think the advantage system is really elegant and works very well. It's easy to remember if you have it or you don't rather than stacking multipliers.

Especially for me, who normally plays a Bard, it's much easier just to hand someone an inspiration die than to constantly have to remind the table over and over and fucking over about their +2 to that, or "oh you get my performance bonus to that check" or whatever. I hate having to remember the whole table's bonuses for them, but such is the #bardlife in Pathfinder.

5e definitely needs more official source material. I think things like Shaman, Warlord, Runeseeker, etc are on the horizon for something similar to the Advance Player Guide.
>>
>>44061319
Okay, because after that little epiphany I'm done with number-crunching I think. Maybe forever.

I heard it's kinda like 2e crossed with 3e in feel? I loved the system those BG games used and I very much enjoyed every 2e game I ever played.
>>
>>44061251
>>44061319

I'll tell you what a friend told me once, and I thought was scarily accurate.

Pathfinder is NOT a roleplaying game. One can use 3.PF to incidentally play a roleplaying game, but that's not what 3.PF is made for.

3.PF is a Character-builder game. You buy splat books like you would booster packs. You pour over them like you might magic the gathering cards, and you find which ones build the most powerful, broken piece of shit you can find to make the game unfun for anyone who runs across it.

People who play 3.PF and like it unironically enjoy building characters, less so playing the game. And you can hear this with stories like yourself. Where you spend time telling us about the character you built, and not about what happened as a result.

"Oh, I built this thing that was SUPER broken and OP."

I have a tale of overpowering an encounter, but it wasn't because I was optimized, it was because I took a spell the rest of the party scoffed at me for as an Eldritch Knight and used it in the right situation, creating a fun and funny story to tell as a result.

I know they must exist, but I personally never hear those stories out of pathfinder friends. They always tell me how broken their characters are, but never what situation was made fun or exciting because of it.
>>
>>44061218
>He thinks 1 attack with advantage is better than 2 attacks
Go back to school and tell to your math teacher to teach you statistics properly this time
>>
>>44061361
You're right, but you gave me an idea.

>Eldritch knight until war mage
>Rest of levels in rogue
>Cast true strike
>Use your attack + sneak attack because of advantage

Would it be viable?
>>
>>44061360
>I know they must exist, but I personally never hear those stories out of pathfinder friends. They always tell me how broken their characters are, but never what situation was made fun or exciting because of it.

Exactly this.
I realized I had put more effort into making my 3e-ruleset characters then I did making my extremely efficient MtG decks, only my MtG decks won me actual money at actual tournaments and other such stuff while my 3e ruleset characters did nothing except waste my time and everyone else's too.

So I just decided to toss it and look for something that's fun and easy instead of pretend-rewarding.
>>
>>44061383
>Be Arcane Trickster
>Have a familiar that gives you advantage thanks to Help action
>Cast GFB+Sneak attack with advantage
True strike? what shitty spell is that?
>>
>>44061218
True Strike only works with an attack made on the next round.

READ THE FUCKING BOOK
>>
>>44061449
>Help action
>Not just having the familiar within range
Are you dumb?
>>
>>44061705
Familiar withing range only gives you Sneak attack, Help action gives you Sneak attack AND advantage to attack roll, so, now, reformulate your question.
>>
>>44061741
Yeah, I'll reformulate it to "You should have your familiar use the dodge action if you're not retarded and want to lose out on it".
>>
File: IMG_0061.jpg (230 KB, 881x1000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0061.jpg
230 KB, 881x1000
>>44060807
>>44060828
this is cool

don't have a more intelligent response than that.

not an anon who asked for this but thanks for that
>>
>>44061760
Nobody is going to attach a chair, why would you attack a chair?
>>
>>44056942
I'm confused.

When will be hearing actual information about the next release?

January, February?

What are we meant to be expecting? Last I heard was some shakespearian giant bullshit, now we are talking about planes and ravenloft?
>>
>>44061809
>My familiar is a chair, but I should clearly get the sneak attack as my chair is VERY distracting
>DM: No.

Wow. Such genius.
>>
>>44061760
This is just till your mage hand does all the work. And only a metagaming GM would attack the familiar at first sight, that trick should work the first turns, and by the end of those the enemies should be dead.
>>
>>44061817
>What's minor image cantrip I wonder
>>
>>44061821
>It's metagaming for an intelligent person to attack a small, easily killable nuisance that is doing annoying shit to you to give someone else a better shot at attacking you
>All of your enemies should be dead after one sneak attack and MAYBE a familiar attack

You're kind of a permissive guy, aren't you?

>>44061835
Certainly not an alter or disguise spell. I certainly hope you're not that retarded to think that would work past 1 round.
>>
>>44061809
>favored enemy: furniture
>>
>>44061863
Now I want to take a level of ranger on my drunken brawler fighter to take favored enemy:furniture.
>>
>>44061858
It's one sneak attack and GFB, and not all enemies are paying attention to you, after all you should be in a group with at least 3 other dudes of similar power.

Also, if you watch news, very little times people kill the dog first instead of the cops.
>>
>>44061360
I made the mistake of trying out Pathfinder organized play with a level 1 character and some similarly inexperienced friends. Turns out the adventures are balanced for optimizers and anyone else will get their asses handed to them.
>>
>>44061476
yes but if hes casting it every round, every attack after his first would have advantage
>>
>>44061916
Because criminals irl are stupid, my monsters are highly trained spec ops that will see through all your tactics
>>
>>44061916
>One sneak attack and GFB should deal +60 damage
No. Just no.

>If you watch the news, very little times people kill the dog first instead of the cops

Modern warfare != fantasy combat. You're dealing with people who are using fire arms against fire arm users. If you have a ranged weapon that can one shot an enemy, yeah, you're going to focus fire on the other guy with the same ability. This is not the case in melee combat. The analogy is flawed.
>>
>>44061982
That is true but is it really worth it?
>>
>>44061741
I really wish the penalties for killing a familiar were as harsh as they used to be in 2e. I really hate the little shits. Unlimited aerial recon and getting advantage on everything until someone wastes a turn or two to kill the familiar is way too powerful for a first-level ritual.
>>
>>44062019
im not that guy and i don't think so, just saying.

true strike is just horrible. what a flawed spell. i was thinking about getting it on my rogue for some prayer then drop from the rafters style assassination, but then i remembered attacking from surprise gives you advantage anyway.................
>>
>>44062046
With all the restrictions it should have made the next attack an automatic hit.
>>
>>44062038
i liked when familiars were a little more complex like in 3.5 also... i never played 2 idk if it was different then.

but i miss all of the familiar options and how they were character lites instead of just... shadow conjurations you can cast and forget about
>>
>>44058570
>cauldron can't move without losing its power
>baba yagas mortar as example

Didn't baba yaga fly around in her mortar?
>>
>>44062046
True Strike is only conceivably useful in two situations: when you have absolutely no possible sneak attacks available and one attack with sneak is better than two attacks without, or in mexican standoff social situations where you can't surprise the enemy but might be able to get away with casting a spell before initiative is rolled.
>>
>>44062038
>>44062074
>Lose xp
>Takes a year to get another familiar
You're crazy.

Also familiars had way more HPs in 3.5 (half the character's HPs) now they have shitty HPs that gets them killed almost with the first hit, it's balanced the way it's.
>>
>>44062096
Also when you know you can't reach the enemy this turn, but you know you can the next one.
>>
>>44062096
for your first scenario, idk. sneak attack is so easy to get off. i think i've literally not gotten it off maybe 2 times in my whole campaign thus far. that said my party is very melee forward. i'm the only ranged character and our moon druid is our only full caster and like all moon druids he spends all his time as a bear. otherwise its the fighter, the monk, and the paladin.

so for me i can just move around and pick enemies in melee and snipe them from the sidelines...

mexican standoff... maybe but i kind of doubt a dm will let you get away with it. i guess thief with their super high level ability to take 2 turns in combat might have a chance of using it...
>>
>>44062117
Except it's not. Either an opponent loses an action every combat or you get advantage on every single attack roll. And on top of that you get free, basically risk-free scouting that renders any stealthy characters obsolete.
>>
>>44062161
We're talking about arcane tricksters here, they're the stealthy character, I don't think they're gonna feel obsolete if he's the one using the familiar.
>>
>>44062117
i just liked more personalized familiars...

>>44062161
this is basically my thoughts on it. i wouldnt let a familiar give advantage on every attack, personally, were i to dm, but in any event familiars have been downgraded imo to scouts that are too good at scouting and useless for pretty much everything else.

though a necromancer with a bat wizard who uses it for vampiric touch would be sweet now that i think of it.

and yeah yeah role play you can make your familiar as much of a character as you want, but ultimately its just an illusion of an animal, not a real being, which sucks when they were so fleshed out before.

but then we're in a discussion on simplification versus crunch. i'm think of dming a campaign soon and i'm definitely going to add more options to 5e, while trying to still keep accounting down...
>>
How much would a wizard charge to let another wizard copy a spell from his spellbook?
>>
File: Wisp_concept_01[1].png (204 KB, 1512x1080) Image search: [Google]
Wisp_concept_01[1].png
204 KB, 1512x1080
>>44062256
>i just liked more personalized familiars...
Agreed. I tried to get a DM let me have a little flame sprite like pic related. I wanted to use the bat stats but replace echolocation with "sheds dim light in a 5' radius"

DM refused and I was sad.
>>
>>44062203
It's not just Arcane Tricksters who can take it. A wizard or a bard or eldritch knight or just some random fucker with Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster takes it, and now they're doing the rogue's job better than the rogue. A familiar and a crowbar is really the whole rogue package.
>>
>>44062363
thats so sad... my current party, our warlock is nicknamed albatross, and he was like "oh yeah, i can cast find familiar and make us a little scout" and he summoned a hawk, and i was like, why don't you summon an albatross? or a parrot (hes a pirate)?

and him and the dm were like "thats not on the list it doesn't say it can do that" and much sad was had by me...
>>
>>44062348
As much as he could get away with. Like the magic item economy, I'd say the spellbook lending economy is so small that there are no fixed or traditional prices for anything.
>>
>>44062348
I always run it that wizards dont usually charge a whole lot but they tend to give out fetch quests in return for teaching the spell.

Or just charge what a scroll of that level spell would cost to buy.
>>
>>44062367
>Better than the guy with expertise on stealth and perception for example
>Better than a creature with opposable thumbs that can open doors and windows
I mean, familiar is a nice spell, but isn't that good
>>
>>44062476
>Better than the guy with expertise on stealth and perception for example
Actually, yes, because if the familiar gets caught, nothing happens. If the familiar dies, there are no consequences, unlike when the rogue dies. The enemy might not even be alarmed when the familiar gets caught if they think it's just a normal animal. That's the equivalent of having infinite stealth.
>>
File: sport-of-tycoons-carl-barks.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2317) Image search: [Google]
sport-of-tycoons-carl-barks.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2317
>>44057231
Our GM does in fact believe in fairness, and rolls openly, just as we.

This makes our games incredibly swingy, as he's not known for rolling "average" numbers. One minute he's on the verge of tears as treasure tables have turned into <pic related but with more magic items> and the next we're on the verge of tears as a few fumbles on our part have given some bumblefucktarded skeletons a chance to crit half the party into the fucking negatives.

Dying sucks, but none of us can deny the games and tension are top-notch
>>
Can I use a transmuter's Minor Alchemy ability to temporarily turn something to stone, then use Stone Shape on it?
>>
>>44062885

Might depend on what you are turning into stone.
>>
>>44062885
Yes, if you want to shape it into something.

If you want to get around it or remove it, turn it into soapstone, chalk, or talk and hit it with a hammer.
>>
File: 1436846370472.jpg (93 KB, 435x571) Image search: [Google]
1436846370472.jpg
93 KB, 435x571
>>44059728
Virt BBEG homebrew would be so epic.
>>
>>44062748
I always hope that's how my games are. I roll in the open and I've had characters die pretty often.
But sometimes the players get crazy, take on something way above their level, I get overconfident that I'm going to get a tpk. Then the fuckers grasp victory from the jaws of defeat and end up rolling in wealth.
>>
>>44063155
He's a lich that only knows the Vicious Mockery cantrip and is immune to all negative conditions save outright death.

His phylactery is a deck of fake MtG cards.

He goes around the land spreading magic scrolls that say shitty Microsoft Sam raps when they're opened.
>>
>>44063252
You forgot Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Otto's Irresistable Dance, Bestow Curse (Logical Fallacy), Contagion (Mind Rot), and Glyph of Warding (Explosive Runes, the runes say D&DNEXT), Hypnotic Pattern, and Simulacrum or Clone.
>>
So recently I've been messing around with some character concepts that would mechanically work effectively while being a bit on the bizzare side. So far I have a doctor who was once a serial killer (human rogue w/ hermit background and healer feat) and a barbarian who use to be an alchemist before a horrible mutagen mishap (human barbarian, still debating on background but would have alchemist supplies proficiency and tavern brawler feat so you can throw acid w/ proficiency).

Does anyone else have any effective but strange character ideas?
>>
>>44060681
Under-fucking-rated post.

A fairytale witch is a fae chainlock.

A voodoo witch is a land Druid.

Stop fucking around.
>>
So I'm playing in a party of level 4s (one level 3 and one level 5 because deaths) and my DM wants to make it more about survival. He is probably going to make rations only fill you for 1 meal so you need 3 per day and also since Goodberry ruins that he would also make each berry be enough for 1 meal instead of a day, maybe increase the number of berries but still. I think it's mostly for dungeons (of which we have had 3 since starting a year ago I think) and we would only be able to carry x amount. It just seems annoying to me, I'm fine with survival themed games but I don't think it fits at all here, maybe at levels 1-3 or something.
>>
>>44064104
I find that just slows shit down. Everyone has to stop and roll to find shit to eat constantly.

Depends on what the rest of the players want, though. Talk to your DM and the other players about it. I was going to add the 4e-style healing surges into my 5E game I run, and asked the players if they wanted that since they didn't have anyone that could heal. They said no, as in order to have challenging fights I'd just have to inflate numbers and things would drag on longer. I went with their decision and didn't implement that rule.
>>
I'm going to be joining a 5E game in about a week and I've always loved a spellsword character. I'm going with Eladrin as my race so I can misty step around things. I was looking at Eldritch knigbt but noticed it gets a lot of hate, whats wrong with it and is Bladesinger any better?
>>
>>44064269
Eldritch Knight is a Fighter with magical utility.

Bladesinger is a wizard with some melee capability.

EK is still a fighter, bladesinger is still a squishy wizard even with the crunchy outside. It ultimately depends on what you want to focus on more: weapons, or spells?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.