[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General - December UA Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

>December's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/07_UA_That_Old_Black_Magic.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

Opinions on the newest UA?

IMO it's pretty shit.
>>
Previous thread, for those who are migrating over: >>44020774
>>
>>44041581
Can someone post the new UA directly here? I can't access it from work.
>>
File: UA That Old Black Magic.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
UA That Old Black Magic.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44041619
>>
>>44041581
>Demons theme
>No Binder class/subclass/prestige
>No Denon Hunter options for Ranger
>No Demon Slayer options for Paladin
>Spells only really suited for villains
>Tiefling subclass with bloodlines that grant spells but no sorceror bloodline for demons
>New spells for wizard and sorceror, despite warlock having a literal pact with demons.
>>
>>44041699
Pretty sure all of the green text is why OP thinks it's shit.

If it had even one of the suggested things (Demon Hunter archetype for Ranger, Demon Slayer for Paladin, Abyssal/Infernal bloodlines for Sorcerer) along with everything else then I'd be ok with it. But this feels phoned in.

More-so than usual I mean.
>>
File: shitville.png (2 MB, 903x903) Image search: [Google]
shitville.png
2 MB, 903x903
Ignoring the lack of geographic realism in my map, anyone feel like helping me figure out where borders would form?
>>
How do you guys plan long term campaigns? I wrote a campaign setting (something around 50 pages) based in a continent, but I'm DMing in my setting and I'm not sure how to fill the world with NPCs, villains, etc.

How do you guys do that? How do you guys plan your villains and NPCs??
>>
>>44041581
>>44041699
Piss this is the worst UA to date.
>>
>>44041788
Create some major NPCs and their goals, then fucking wing it. Make set piece encounters no more than two sessions ahead of time. Do as little actual long-term work as possible because your players *will* either steamroll it or avoid it entirely.
>>
>>44041777
Along the mountain ranges and potentially where the terrain shifts from plains or farmable land into forest/desert/tundra.

Areas where land is pinched at, providing narrow land bridges, also make for decent natural border lines for countries due to the ease of defending such a small tract of land.

As things stand you can probably have 6-7 different kingdoms just based upon terrain borders.
>>
>>44041816
>5e
>>
>>44041788
Start small and build outwards.
For instance, serial killers, thieves, terrorists etc, in the real world happen all the time. Society has developed to the point that individually, a small villains don't have a major effect on society. This makes them the perfect choice for early encounters, you know the typically bandits attacking trade caravans, etc

However cataclysmic events happen what, once or twice a generation?
BBEGs should be rare, there has to be a rationale as to why they're acting NOW as opposed to, last year before the party got together. They need to be well planned, methodical, or massively destructive.
>>
>>44041699
I figure a lot of that stuff will be reworked based on feedback too.

Although the last point is fucking annoying. Since TOEE literally every new fucking spell, no matter how much it would be more thematic on another class' spell list, has gone to Wizard and Sorc and literally no one else.
>>
>>44041581
>>44041816
>>44041699
>>44041639
>no binder class
>no Warlock options
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Fuck you Mearls.
>>
>>44041788
For NPCs focus on whatever the main town or city the PCs will be operating out of.

In a general sense most towns will only have 3-6 people that the PCs will bother talking to:

> Barkeeper/Innkeeper
> Town Sage (may or may not be mayor or town Wizard)
> Head of local law enforcement
> Priest of local town's church
> Blacksmith/Shopkeeper
> A fence for illegal goods (if you have PCs that fleece the rich for valuables or ways to urn gems into coin)

Just write down a sentence or two to remind yourself of their name, status, and overall mood/temperment in case the PCs do interact with them.

For villains just leave vague hints, rumors and stories that grunts tell about the leader. Especially helpful if they're a spellcaster, as they can sometimes taunt the PCs themselves from far away via a Scrying/communication circle.
>>
>>44041855
>?
>>
>>44041928
The person you tagged might or might not be virt or some other anon trolling. Ignore them and move on.
>>
File: shitville2.png (556 KB, 503x502) Image search: [Google]
shitville2.png
556 KB, 503x502
>>44041852
Something like this?
>>
What are some very useful druid spells? Besides conjure animals. I feel so worthless as a druid. I think I took shitty cantrips. I am using some spells and cantrips from the elemental evil book too.
>>
>>44042076
Goodberry, Misty step, Healing word
>>
>>44041992
Yep. Note that orange will probably move closer to the mountains for metals and farmland, so long as the nearby volcano doesn't have lava flows or it's eruption cloud cover said land with ash and shit.

Depending upon how friendly yellow and red are, they may agree on a jointly-funded operation to tunnel through the mountain to make trade easier between the two.

Blue and orange will have a lot of culture overlap due to only a simple river separating the two, and could lead to a fair bit of conflict over the years (probably due to blue wanting to unite that section of the continent under one banner).

Purple will basically be not!Russia, and green will be not!Japan.
>>
>>44041581
I swear if the next UA is devils, I'm going to flip.
>>
>>44042076
Are you a Land or a Moon druid? If the former, which terrain spells did you choose?
>>
>>44042165
You have no idea how well some of that fits with the campaign i've written.

Thanks a ton Anon, also, would it make sense for purple to have spread into the arctic in order to have a land route as well as controlling that bay?
>>
>>44041699
God fucking dammit Mearls how hard is it to make good content when we are already starving. I mean hell with 5e its not even hard
>>
>>44042231
Yeah, because if they come from a lot of war or internal strife in that kingdom's history, ways to control shipping lanes and how people travel to the country are how they keep themselves safe (and control over the populace, as the government will have control over food shipments in and out of the country, seeing as there will be little farmland that close to the arctic).
>>
>>44042208

I am a land druid and I chose desert. Blurr is dog shit though.
>>
>>44042298
I don't even think it's all on him, considering that the D&D section of WotC is what, like 15 people?
>>
>>44042335
That is true. Hes the most prolific one of the bunch though so the blame it kind of falls on his lap instinctively so ill admit its wrong to just blame him.

So with that I would like to give a nice fuck you to the D&D department.
>>
>>44040609
What "misreading" are the hell you talking about?
>>
Is this legal?

>Be level 5 Fighter, with a warhammer and battleaxe
>Round 1
>beginning of round, use bonus action to attack with offhand
>drop offhand weapon
>take full attack using main hand weapon with both hands (1d10 instead of 1d8)
>Round 2
>Free object interaction to pick-up offhand weapon
>repeat Round 1

So basically, 3 attacks, with the main hand using 1d10 instead of 1d8 on versatile weapons.
>>
What would be a traditional way to incorporate the following in a Forgotten Realms setting? Not necessarily at the same time, mind you.

>Centaurs
>Kenku
>Beholders
>Flumphs
>Dinosaurs
>>
If your group allows multiclassing, what are the most common/successiful multiclasses? and which classes stay single class?
Are there classes that almost always multiclass into something else, or at least are very tempted to, like Warlocks and Sorcerers?
I'm trying to check if some classes can be fused together.
>>
>>44042389
Attack action always comes first, then the Bonus action. In regards to attacking, that is.
>>
>>44041639
>>44041699
>Warlock is the designated "demon" class
>Drawing a blood circle fits Warlock flavor
>Unable to cast any of the UA spells

I'm honestly surprised that WotC remembered to include them for the Sword Coast cantrips
>>
>>44042200
>tfw you realise next UA is next year
>>
>>44042389
Pretty sure picking up and equipping a weapon would count as a full action in most groups.
>>
>>44042567
Source? I've always let my Shield Masters bash then attack.
>>
>>44042701
That's what I was thinking, that a bonus action can be taken at any point during your turn.

>>44042695
You can unsheathe (for free) and attack during an action.
You get one free object interaction (pull lever, pick something up off the ground, potion, etc.)
You can put away a weapon as a free action.
>>
>>44042701
>Source?
The fucking Player's Handbook. Read it.
>>
>>44042783
>You get three object interactions because I call them something different that's not remotely supported by the rules!
Just stop.
>>
>>44042701
There is no source. He is a retarded monkey who cannot read the PHB.

It's only two weapon fighting specifically that requires you to attack first in order to qualify for the bonus action attack.
>>
>>44042517
Nobody actually plays a Sorlock because it's boring. Probably the most common multiclasses I've seen are some fighty class with two or three levels of fighter. Fighter/barbarian is especially suited to this since barbarians' damage doesn't scale very much after like 5th level. Rogue/barbarian can sort of work through the loophole of using finesse weapons but not using Dex with them.
>>
>>44042368
I get blaming the most public guy of a department (MTG fanboy who sometimes flames MaRo whenever stupid shit goes down in that game) but the size of the D&D department isn't his fault, it's Hasbros.

So give Hasbro your fuck you's and what not.

Honestly I just hope we start seeing more out of the D&D department, like 3 books a year (one that's a setting book, one for an expanded DMG or MM, and one for more player options/classes/archetypes).
>>
what are some interesting puzzles for dungeons?
>>
File: shield master feat.jpg (226 KB, 784x577) Image search: [Google]
shield master feat.jpg
226 KB, 784x577
>>44042701
PHB
H
B
>>
>>44042810
Those are examples of something you can do in a round jackass, I didn't say you get three object interactions, I gave you EXAMPLES of what would be a free action.
>>
>>44042830
One to fuck over darkvision people is a colour coded puzzle. They won't get it until they bring a light source.
>>
>>44042835
Taking attack action does not mean making the attack.
>>
>>44042836
There is no such thing as a "free action" in 5. You get an object interaction. An. One. Single. What >>44042389 is describing is impossible for multiple reasons.
>>
>>44042830
Using pre-algebra to see if Jerry can kill the paladin in one shot.
>>
>>44042883
What does dropping a weapon count as?
>>
>>44042835
>>44042701
It's been explained in the FAQ, using the Attack action on your turn does not mean you have to use all your attacks, or even any of them, right then. It's just an action you can take that entitles you to one or more attacks during that turn. So you can take the Attack action, then bash with your shield as a bonus action, then attack with your weapon.
>>
>>44042915
Dropping a held object is not an action.
>>
>>44041925
Bumping off this I tend to keep "index card" sized notes on my NPCs and usually list a couple Qualities (traits / flaws), what they do, and maybe some objective for them.

What usually happens is then in game if they are interacting with an NPC I can create plot threads just from simple interactions. Farmers crops not being irrigated because the river has dried up? Perfect for adventurers! Town blacksmith lost a shipment of steel? Easily could be that orc / bugbear / gnoll tribe in the forest.

Shit like that is often stepping stones for a larger adventure and it makes the world feel more real because the PCs discover the threat through simple interactions.
>>
>>44042835
That doesnt say anything about the order those events happen in, which is what I asked about. Learn 2 reading
>>
File: 1447813202827.jpg (48 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1447813202827.jpg
48 KB, 500x500
>>44042918
>>44042882
So you have to declare the attack as your action, but you can use bash anytime during the rest of turn. Makes sense, considering the example for extra attacks they give.

So:
>Bash monster away to avoid AoO
>Run to another monster
>smack em upside the head

Would work dandy?
>>
>>44042883
Please cite the multiple reasons. And then check page 70 of the PHB. And then pair that with what >>44042954 said. Then get back to me.
>>
>>44042695
>>44042783
>>44042810
>>44042836
>>44042883
Both of you are being unnecessarily obtuse. Yes, you get one object interaction on your turn. Therefore, you can only unsheathe one weapon per turn, and so forth.

However, 'readying' a weapon isn't a listed interaction, nor do I believe it to be referenced in any section anywhere (though I could be wrong). To quote the relevant part of the PHB:
>Here are a few examples of the sorts of thing you can do in tandem with your movement and action:
>• draw or sheathe a sword
>[...]
>• pick up a dropped axe

That is, retrieving a weapon from within its sheathe and retrieving a weapon from the ground are equivalent in terms of action taken. I do not see it as unreasonable that both would return the weapon to your hand in a position ready to be used in combat.

However, I do not believe that anyone is disputing that the series of actions detailed in >>44042389 is illegal.
>>
>>44042828
From recent interviews and announcements we are getting jack shit expect more and more adventures. So i really hope you like the realms!
>>
>>44043000
Yep, as long as you have the Shield Master feat.
>>
>>44042918
That's interesting, can you give me an exact quote? I'm CTRL+F'ing "bonus action" and "attack action" in the FAQ and not coming up with anything.
>>
>>44042918
Wait, really? What's the source on this?

Not doubting you, but this seems like an unnecessarily complicated way of handling something which should rightfully be simple.
>>
>>44043019
What does bending over count as? It could count as prone, if you use the general definition of it as in being downwards facing.
>>
>>44043095
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/29/shield-master-feat/
>>
>>44043095
They should have called Attack Action the Assault Action instead. There would have be a lot less confusion.
>>
>>44043121
Is this a momentary bending, or are you continually duck-walking?

Are you putting yourself into a position where you are far easier to hit in melee, while also being vastly less likely to by anyone throwing something at you?

Would you require as much time to recover from your bent-over position as you would to walk 30 feet?
>>
Guys, that convoluted series of motions that would allow for a fighter to make 1-3 attacks per turn at d10s instead of d8s is, to any reasonable DM, fine, because most people wouldn't argue that literal inaction (dropping a weapon, i.e. making no effort to hold it) is interacting with an object.

Now if we're going strictly by the rules, there are no rules for dropping a weapon. There are rules for object interaction, but they do not cover ceasing to hold onto an item, so it's the DM's call.

But let's look at the math here. The fighter, who has no versatility, wants to make a bonus action attack, as well as attacks with their weapon while holding it in two hands. The increase in damage die is d8>d10, assuming it works at your table. That is an increase from 4.5 to 5.5. An average damage increase of 1.

Or 3, if it's a level 20 fighter.

Are you really fucking telling me you hate fun so much, and won't let your fighter player, who already ONLY has combat, gain a measly fucking 3 damage per turn for describing their attack in an interesting way (or at least more interesting than "I hit it")?
>>
>>44043164
>>44043164
How would that be any easier lol.

>TWO-WEAPON FIGHTING
When you take the Attack action and attack with a light
melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can
use a bonus action to atlack with a different light melee
weapon that you're holding in the other hand. Vou don't
add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus
atlack, unless that modifier is negative.
If either weapon has the thrown property, you
can throw the weapon, instead of making a melee
atlack with il.
>don't mind the OCR spelling mistakes

Same wording as Shield Master, so can we assume the timing is the same in that i can be done before or after the regular attacks, as long as the Attack Action IS being taken?
>>
>>44043235
Standing up is half your movement.
>>
>>44043240
The whole situation stems from me wanting to make a battle master who weaves in and out of combat, disarming, switching weapons, and looking badass like an action movie star.
>>
>>44043253
He's saying that, if instead of "Attack action" in all instances of the rules, it was "Assault action" there would be more clarity, because "Assault" is not a word used anywhere else.

Instead of calling two things by almost the same name, you'd have two words for two different things.
>>
>>44043240
It doesn't even matter about the dropping or picking up of a weapon. RAW you cannot make the bonus action attack of two reason fighting without first both declaring the attack action AND making an attack.

The attack requirement is special to two weapon fighting.
>>
>>44043289
Explain the concept to your DM first, and then explain to him how you'd do it in the rules, and ask him if he's okay with it.
>>
>>44043240
I'm with you, anon

Why wont you fuckers allow it? It's definitely interesting, although unecessarily gamey, but moreover it is kinda cool.

There also isn't anything that says he can't do it. Picking up a dropped weapon is explicitly a thing you can do as a free action as part of movement or a standard action. Dropping something, logically, doesn't really require an action. I don't understand why you nerds are so uptight about this small little thing
>>
>>44043240
>literal inaction (dropping a weapon, i.e. making no effort to hold it)
While I understand your argument that it doesn't really make a difference in terms of numbers, I would contest the statement that dropping a weapon can be considered inaction.

Inaction, as a lack of action, would be something which causes the current situation to persist. Falling over and dropping prone from a standing position is an action, even if you only need to relax all the muscles in your legs to do it, because you are consciously causing a change. Inaction, in this situation, would be continuing to stand still.

Similarly, dropping your weapon cannot be considered inaction, because it requires a conscious decision to do something different from what you already are - to relax your hand and allow your weapon to fall. Particularly in combat, where your grip would already be tight on your weapon, inaction should constitute keeping your weapon in its current position - that is, your hand.
>>
>>44043240
>I hit them with my battle axe then drop my battle axe and wield my othet battle axe in two hands and hit them then hit them again with my two handed battle axe then take my hand off it and pick up my other battle axe and hit them with that
>intresting
>>
>>44043300
Right. Making AN attack.

So a fighter with two attacks, plus a bonus action attack from two-weapon fighting could take the attack action, make one attack, make bonus action attack, drop offhand weapon, two-hand main weapon, make attack.

Now whether or not switching from one-handed to two-handed on a weapon uses your object interaction is something to ask your DM as well, because if it does, you can't pick up your weapon from the ground, and do the weapon drop to two-hand trick on subsequent turns.
>>
>>44043253
That's not the same wording you mongoloid. Get some reading comprehension.

>When you take the Attack action and attack

>If you take the Attack action on your turn

One specifies that an attack MUST be made, the other does not.
>>
>>44043265
15 feet. Mea culpa.

The point still stands. If anon can himself answer those three questions, he can likely determine the answer to his own question by himself.
>>
>>44042884
why do you hate jerry so much
>>
>>44043300
>RAW you cannot make the bonus action attack of two reason fighting without first both declaring the attack action AND making an attack.
You're wrong, bro

TWF has the same wording as Shield Mastery, and we have already confirmed that the SM bonus action can be taken before or after Attack action, as long as Attack aciton *is* being taken
>>
>>44043347
>I lodge my axes in the minotaur's side, only to pull one of them out with both hands so that I can swing it down on the beast's head!

It's very easy to make something sound childish if you actively try to avoid any kind of interesting language.
>>
>>44043347
>I slam my battleaxe into his thigh (on hit)
>I let go, pivot around him and attack two more times with my warhammer, gripping it with both hands.
>Monster pulls axe out of his leg, drops it to the ground, and retaliates by punching me in the face twice
>On my turn, and as he's swinging for a third strike, I duck under it, pick up the axe, and proceed to swing three more times.

Etc. etc....It's more interesting than
>I attack three times. hit hit miss.
>And that's my turn.
>>
>>44043376
It DOESN'T have the same wording though.

I'm the guy making long-winded posts supporting the battlemaster concept guy.

Two weapon fighting does require you to make an attack with the attack action, but there's nothing in the rules that says you can't make one attack with the attack action, then make your bonus action attack, then make another attack, and in fact the rules support it.
>>
There are a few ''fixes'' i want to apply to monks in my home-brew so please do
some constructive criticism.

Basically monks never get to deal damage and are only really good at being fast,
mobile and stunning but that's pretty much it.

This kinda doesn't make sense with them being martial artists
and half casters.

So i took the opportunity to change a few things.

The lvl 1 Martial Arts feat now contains two additions - the ''unarmored combat''
and ''unarmored movement'' feat are merged into it to make the class less
feat hungry and adds extra survivability at early levels.

The Ki feat goes as follows:

Character level/2 + (Wis mod)*4 = total Ki points (so if you max
Wis out then you can have 30 Ki at level 20).
Using character level to enable multi-classing properly however ki replaces
sorcery points and spell-slots if multi-classing with a caster.

FoB (3 unarmed strikes now instead of 2 and every level 2 feature costs only 1 ki point)
K i - E m p o w e r e d S t r i k e s:

Starting at 6th level, your Martial Arts attacks count as
magical for the purpose o f overcoming resistance and
immunity to non-magical attacks and damage.
You gain the ability to spend 4 ki points to deal additional (monk level)/2 d10 force damage
on top of your next attack action.
>>
>>44043376
See
>>44043354
>>
>>44043376
As per the Shield Master feat (and I quote):
>If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield.
As per Two-Weapon Fighting (and I quote):
When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you’re holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you’re holding in the other hand.

Much as I am loathe to admit it, however, a Fighter CAN perform a similar sequence to that described as long as:
• The DM rules that dropping a weapon does not constitute an environmental interaction.
• The offhand attack is made after at least one attack from the Attack action has been made (note the lower case 'attack' in Two-Weapon Fighting). Consequently, the Fighter loses one die size on his initial main hand attack, but can use his weapon's Versatile damage die for any subsequent attacks.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I would love to be wrong this whole thing is retarded in the first place
>>
>>44043425
>>44043411
My bad
>>
What multiclasses well with druid? Should I even bother multiclassing at all?

Also, What are some good uses for the druid cantrips? They all feel like shit. At least the FLUFF druid cantrips like druid craft. I thought mold earth would be more interesting and gust but those are shit can trips from elemental evil boook.
>>
>>44043412
Seems convoluted. I had to think to parse what you wrote, and nothing in core 5e made me do that.

What is the unarmored combat feat? Or unarmored movement feat? There's nothing by those names in the core books as feats. Are they homebrew?

Instead of Character level/2etc, make it (Monk level/2 + Wis Mod)*2. Your current math results in a maximum of (20/2+5)*4=60, which is more than they need. And it also allows someone to take two levels of monk, and then 18 levels of another class (say cleric) and end with 60 ki as well.

Ki is not interchangeable with spell points, slots, or anything like that. Remake Wot4E if you want them to be able to function as a half caster.

Flurry of blows I'm fine with, since it's not a lot of damage anyway. Probably even with rogues that are getting sneak attack once every turn.

You need to reword the 6th level thing, because it's not consistent with 5e wording, and doesn't really make sense. Also too much force damage for too little a cost at max level.

What is on top of your next attack action, for one attack you make? For the two attacks you make as part of your attack action?

Make it simpler: When you hit with an attack, you gain the ability to spend 4 ki points to deal an additional 2d10 force damage as part of the attack. This damage increases by 1d10 each time your martial arts die increases.
>>
>>44043547
You should not multiclass as a caster, unless maybe with a level or whatever you need of life cleric to do goodberry bullshit.
>>
>>44043411
I'm the anon arguing about having to make an attack first to qualify for two weapon fighting.

And you're right, after level 5, as long as you make your first attack before your bonus action attack it seems to work legally.

Although that being said, you'd actually be better off not two handing the versatile weapon for the remainder of the attacks, as dropping the other weapon qualifies you for dueling fighting style, and the flat +2 from that is arguably better then the increased die size (d8>d10).
>>
>>44043624
Not even arguably, it's inarguable.

d8>d10 is 1-8>1-10

d8>d8+2 is 1-8>3-10
>>
>>44043647
I was thinking an argument could be made for crits.
>>
>>44043738
1 additional average damage once every 20 attack doesn't really amount to much.
>>
So at some point I assume we'll need a way to give throwing weapons the ammunition property. Two questions: should it be a feat or fighting style, and what other benefits should it convey?
>>
>>44043773
It should convey nothing that makes it better than using a bow.

Or at least heavy balancing mechanics. Throwing weapons should be very short range, like 15 feet or so.

I feel like more than that with, as you say, the ammunition property, would mean bows would be ignored entirely.

Either that or people will have to pay attention to weight limits.
>>
Can someone who knows shit about Faerun explain why in SCAG there is Amaunator and Lathander if they're meant to be the same God?

Looking up back story shit for my character who's meant to be a Cleric of the Sun God but wtf there's two
>>
>>44043773
>give throwing weapons the ammunition property
For what purpose? What would this interact with?

Do you just mean to make it such that thrown weapons can be drawn and thrown with the same attack instead of requiring an interaction? In this case, it should probably be a feat, since limiting it to a Fighting Style precludes Rogues from taking it, and they're one of the classes that would need it the most.
>>
>>44041581
Wait a second.
The warlock does not get demon summoning spells, and they are not even rituals?
What the (appropriately enough) hell?
>>
>>44041639
its like they're not even trying anymore
>>
>>44043838
Because WotC doesn't care anymore.

Lathander is Amaunator, but after resurrecting.

And now I guess both aspects of him are alive and kicking.

Amaunator is now the god of cloning too.

Pick one, and ignore the rising sun heresy.
>>
>>44042165

I think it's worth noting, that there'd be very little use in tunneling through that mountain, when boating goods over would probably be easier, unless there's dangerous shit going on in the seas, which could be a good plot point.

It's also cool to look at real world things that go on with Russia and Japan for inspiration for details on their countries, Russia is surrouded by icy seas, so a lot of the reasons for invading countries is gaining access to warm water ports, could be something that causes tension with them and yellow, whose ports wouldn't get iced over in the winter months like Pinks would.

As for Japan, they're an island nation, so at threat from tsunamis and stuff (And I think this is why Kaiju originated there) as well as them not having many natural resources other than wood, I'm not sure why this is, maybe to do with being an island for so long, nothing living there before, whatever, but this means they would develop differently, perhaps slower than the rest of the world, and rely more on international relations than other countries.
>>
>>44043908

Alright thanks my man.

Since I figure you'll know this shit if I had that new Cloistered Scholar back story and I was like a Cleric studying Law for this god guy, where would I be and would I be part of a brotherhood or church or how would it work?
>>
>>44043908
Aspects of one or the other? Like how Gruumsh and Talos both exist?

Idk just spitballing.
>>
>>44043908
>>44043838
They retconned it to be that Lathander helps Amaunator along in his cycle of reincarnation. So during the Spellplague Amaunator was back and taking care of Lathander's church because Lathander was going through some tough shit after bringing Amaunator back. They've both been around for roughly a century now, so if you're a human it doesn't especially matter. Lathander is specifically about the dawn and new beginnings, while Amaunator is more about the sun's regular cycles, including endings and the stuff in between.
>>
>>44043570
The ''Unarmored combat'' feat is a lvl 1 monk feat that gives +1 to Ac when not wearing armour and ''Unarmored movement'' is a lvl 2 monk feat that improves movement speed by 15 ft every 5 levels and both are in the core PHB.

Ki

(Character level/2) + (Wis mod*4)=total ki

I wrote that wrong. Thanks to you for picking that up.

So max you get is 30 ki.

Allowing functional multi-classing isn't a bad thing.

Not allowing the abuse of class features is what has to be enforced.

That's why everything that has to do with damage dies is linked to the monk level and not the character level.

Ki can be used in the same manner as sorcery points allowing you to ''buy'' spell slots if going with a caster but gimp the spell progression a bit in a manner similar to the sorcerer with a more limited spell list.

Ki enforced strikes.

When you take an attack action you can spend 5 ki points to deal an additional (Monk level/2)d8 force damage during that action.

This is balanced enough with a high consumption allowing for 6 such attacks on lvl 20 for making a decent decent burst damage at lower levels and a damage output on pair with other martials at higher levels.

And force damage has the least resistances and fits thematically with a ''magic punch''.
>>
>>44043969
Alright so they're not actually the same person?

All I've got is the Forgotten Realms wiki to read and it is all talking about how all the heresy's were proved right.

Is there anywhere I can read actual up to date stuff? (as a side not why the fuck is SCAG so shit and short and expensive)
>>
File: Hysterical laughter.gif (440 KB, 260x146) Image search: [Google]
Hysterical laughter.gif
440 KB, 260x146
>>44044003
>The ''Unarmored combat'' feat is a lvl 1 monk feat that gives +1 to Ac when not wearing armour and ''Unarmored movement'' is a lvl 2 monk feat that improves movement speed by 15 ft every 5 levels and both are in the core PHB.
What edition are you playing, anon?
>>
>>44044050
Probably some homebrew i wrongfully downloaded since i got into the hobby last winter.

Sorry for wasting your time and making a fool out of my self.
>>
File: It's supposed to look like this.jpg (522 KB, 1400x1832) Image search: [Google]
It's supposed to look like this.jpg
522 KB, 1400x1832
>>44044071
If you wish, you can download pdfs of the PHB and all other materials from the links in the OP.

That said, does the cover of the book you downloaded look anything like this?
>>
>>44043942
You could be like a public defender, practicing law for people who can't afford their own barristers. Temples often provide public services like that.
>>
>>44043849
Good points. As a feat what would it need more than the ammunition thing and a +1Str/Dex? Seems like it'd need something more to be worthwhile.
>>
>>44044141
Nope.
It had a smaller nigger on it.
The image kinda reminded me of Snoop Dog.
>>
File: frazetta01.jpg (433 KB, 824x1244) Image search: [Google]
frazetta01.jpg
433 KB, 824x1244
Why don't you have a warhorse yet?
>>
So I've been thinking about making like a knife juggling acrobat, and mechanically monk seems to be the best class for that. Is there anything that other classes have that I'm over looking?
>>
>>44044251
Why a monk? All the monk stuff keys off of making melee attacks, and presumably you want to throw these knives The only ranged monk is chucking fireballs rather than knives. I'd say bard, rogue, or some combination thereof.
>>
>>44044251
Rogue is good, sneak attack do lots of damage.

To my knowledge paladins can smite with a thrown weapon.

Rogue paladin multiclass? Dex based?
>>
>>44044251
Rogue is a contender, but it's hard to beat the unarmed damage with daggers thing.
>>
>>44044302
>>44044292
Oh nevermind forgot about the throwing thing
>>
Can a rogue/monk use Sneak Attack with unarmed strikes? The Sneak Attack feature works with a weapon that has the finesse or ranged property. An unarmed strike isn’t a weapon, so it doesn’t qualify. In contrast, a rogue/monk can use Sneak Attack with a monk weapon, such as a shortsword or a dagger, that has one of the required properties.
Feats

Does the Savage Attacker feat work with unarmed strikes? Yes, it does. Savage Attacker benefits melee weapon attacks, and an unarmed strike is a melee weapon attack. [Earlier this year, the Player's Handbook errata clarified that an unarmed strike is a nonweapon that can make melee weapon attacks. This means an unarmed strike qualifies for anything, such as Stunning Strike, that requires a melee weapon attack, but not for something, such as Sneak Attack or magic weapon, that requires a weapon. At the heart of this rule is the distinction between an attack and a weapon; the former is something you do, whereas the latter is an object.]

So what he meant here was that he doesn't know him self?
>>
>>44044175
Consider that thrown-weapon-as-ammunition only becomes useful to those who have multiple attacks - it's practically useless to anyone else (excepting situations where they need more than one object interaction a turn, but that's a problem universal to all characters.)

The second effect's usefulness should probably then scale better the less attacks a character can make. To make an offhand suggestion:
>When you take the Attack action and make a ranged weapon attack with only a thrown weapon, you can use a bonus action to make an additional ranged weapon attack with a thrown weapon.
>When you make a ranged weapon attack with a thrown weapon, you may draw a thrown weapon as many times as is required to make the attack as part of the attack.

Optionally, you may wish to add a damage bonus if the previous two do not have enough of an effect. I would not, however, give a flat +1 to ability scores.
>>
>>44044049
>Blaming the 5e writer for 4e shit that's explicitly being retconned because of all the whining
I don't even
>>
>>44044208
Dungeon crawl campaign makes it impractical.
>>
>>44044208
Because I'm a DM. I get all the toys, but I don't get to play with them :/

>>44044295
No they can't.

>>44044251
Ranger

How do you integrate Centaurs into FR?
>>
>>44044295
Unfortunately, both Smites from their class feature and their spells require melee weapon attacks.
>>
>>44044208
Next expense after the silver rapier.
>>
>>44044208
My monk has a crippling fear of horses for having been kicked by one in the face as a child.
>>
>>44044537
Whips are finesse reach so you can get a smite + sneak attack combo with SOME range
>>
>>44044530
Campaign for their rights; spread public awareness of their political situation; regularly hold dialogues between them and the other races to promote the understanding that simply because they hold unfamiliar traditions doesn't make them savages.

It'd help if one perished heroically to save a humanoid child.
>>
>>44044613
This is true. But a whip is still a melee weapon, which is why it works. Thrown weapons are still a no-go.
>>
>this UA is almost entirely useless in a party situation
>the new Tiefling is just okay
>>
File: frazetta06.jpg (461 KB, 983x1240) Image search: [Google]
frazetta06.jpg
461 KB, 983x1240
>>44044208
What would be the best build for a mounted character?

Lance+shield and Mounted Combatant for sure, perhaps a longbow to go Mongolian Horde on everyone.

Fighter battle master can use maneuvers on him mount to zip around like a madman. But having advantage 24/7 would make champion really good too.

Paladins are also buff and protect the horse pretty good too.

>>44044502
You can squeeze mounts in the roomy dungeons like caves, or try to pull enemies out into the open. Mounts are only impractical if you're in small buildings or want to be sneaky.
>>
Man I never thought it would be so much fun playing a dumb and ditzy Barbarian.

>In Baldur's gate
>Party is investigating a haunted manor
>Say I'll meet up with them after I sell the Bison I killed
>Ask butcher for directions to nearest ale house
>Tells me to go 3 blocks down
>Ask him to explain to me what a block is
>Goes through an entire explanation
>"could you repeat that?"
>starts calling me a yokel as I walk away
>roll intimidate
>18
>he shuts the fuck up
>>
>>44044727
Make sure you play a Small-sized character so you can ride on the shoulders of one of your Medium-sized party members and substitute all your defenses for his (in accordance with the Mounted Combat feat).

Yes, your Wizard will somehow be LESS squishy with the added weight of the halfling on his shoulders.
>>
>>44044727
Battlemaster spamming maneuvering attack would be fairly hilarious.

Another silly thought would be crossbow or musket-wielding EK abusing cantrip+single attack combos while still being a super-fast tank.
>>
What ways can you make min maxed optimised characters fun to roleplay?
>>
File: 1443485381054.gif (191 KB, 234x233) Image search: [Google]
1443485381054.gif
191 KB, 234x233
Are the Battlerager's abilities really good enough that spiked armor has to be 14 + Dex (max 2) instead of 15? Seems kind of eh next to Totem.
>>
>>44044208
Because I'm a Valenar elf that's stuck out in the Northlands, and magebred horse was impossible to attain at chargen. My riding horse is almost on par with a warhorse around these parts though, at least in terms of endurance and speed.
>>
>>44045055
Being min/maxed doesn't prevent you from roleplaying; it's merely that min/maxers are commonly poor roleplayers.

What kind of character are you thinking, in particular?
>>
>>44045082
Just think. With Medium armor master you can have a whopping 17 Max Ac.
>>
File: bootyimpsmerk.gif (3 MB, 541x350) Image search: [Google]
bootyimpsmerk.gif
3 MB, 541x350
>>44044818
>Wizard is getting mobed by kobolds, would get raped by AoO
>Halfling: I SHALL PROTECT THEE MAGIC-USER
>Halfing jumps on Wizard's head with mounted Combatant feat
>Follow my lead I shall clear a path! That-a-way!
>uses Maneuvering Strike to get the hell outta there
>jumps off before the start of the wizard's turn

The possibilities of small creatures is endless.
>>
>>44045055
>>44045147
When you min/max you're inevitably dumping some points somewhere. SO play up those deficiencies. Be that low int or clumsy low dex character.
>>
>>44045224
Barbarians can still use shields right?
>>
How bad is Life Cleric 1/Shadow Sorcerer 1/Undying Light Warlock X with a free first level feat as Warcaster?
>>
>>44044251
I made a rogue/barbarian to do that. Doesn't really require a specific class; it's just flavor anyway
>>
At least this month's UA isn't as bad as the absolutely nothing UA that is "Variant Rules," right? The one that didn't even get the probabilities right when doing static save defenses?
>>
>>44044656
Thrown weapons, according to crawford, are not ranged weapon attacks.

They are melee weapon attacks made at range. I can't be assed looking up the tweet, but it's there.
>>
>>44045371
Most people feel that Warlock isn't particularly worthwhile beyond the first 2-3 levels due to poor scaling.

Similarly, Shadow Sorcerer's first level feature scales poorly into high levels, so if you're dipping purely for that, you might find it more worthwhile to take a level in another class.

That said, what sort of build are you going for with this?
>>
>>44045514
As per https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/634373748305494016:
>an attack with a melee weapon can be a ranged attack if you throw it.

Related tweets note that a 'melee weapon attack' is not to be confused with an 'attack with a melee weapon'.
>>
Asking for a friend who wants to DM a module for some friends - how do you scale encounters? He tried looking it up in the DMG, and it wasn't that helpful...
>>
>>44045224
Or I could just be a race with a good Con or Dex bonus and use Unarmored Defense. And be a Totem for resistance to all damage except psychic, some extra skills, and flight.
>>
>>44045607
Step 1. go to kobold.club and use it
Step 2. That's it

Doing the math by hand is a bit tedious.
>>
>>44045571
So thrown doesn't work with:
Sneak Attack (except daggers)
Rage
Smite
Martial Arts
Swift Quiver
Any of the new Cantrips

Why does Wizards' hate thrown weapons so much?
>>
>>44045523
It's not just a feeling.
There's basically nothing a warlock can do that he can't do MUCH better by being a different class (INCLUDING FIGHTER) from 3 onwards. That's why the best warlocks have 18 levels of sorcerer on them.
>>
>>44041831
>>44041889
>>44041925
>>44042960
Thank you guys, but how do you build your villains? So far we had 3 sessions and there was a serial killer, the party defeated it but one of them died, they're level 3 now and I plan to send them into a lost temple into a forest.

My ideas so far are something like a villain (possible a female) want to bring back a god that was banished a long time ago, this villain want to do it because it belive that this god would grant him/her some whish and a position of power in this new order.

I'm thinking in also a villain that want to become a god himself somehow.
>>
>>44045147
Hill dwarf cleric of nature (moradin), clan crafter (woodcarver)

Str 9 dex 12 con 17 int 12 wis 16 cha 8

History, Insight, Medicine, Religion, Nature

I plan to take resilient (con) and warcaster plus another feat, most likely shield master.

Being a dwarf and taking shillelagh let's me dump str and focus on wis whilst still having a good attack and heavy armour.

General idea is a woodcarver who believes the carving process starts with the growth of the tree, hence nature cleric, and moradin fits with both that idea and the creation of items as a crafter.

I'm just not sure where else to take this character, and I'd appreciate some advice.
>>
I have a player, who I'm pretty sure is just a massive retard at this point, that keeps attacking the BBEG that is set up for a level 15 encounter.

The party JUST hit level 7, and this idiot keeps attacking him, dying in one turn, and complaining I'm making the game too hard by having an unkillable NPC. I had remedied this before the first time he attacked him by the BBEG showing his power in a limited amount, knocking out the entire party with a single spell. Then erasing their memories (two party members remember lightning flashes and his mask) but this idiot has attempted to attack the guy on two separate occasions.

Do I just let him keep doing it? All the while silently laughing because he's retarded? Or do I start trying to fix this by just making him teleport away? They're at least 6 sessions and 3 levels away from meeting him again anyway.
>>
>>44045846

Do you literally mean heavy armor? I might be missing something, but from what I can tell you shouldn't be able to wear it.
>>
>>44045857
I would kill him
>>
>>44045934
Everyone can wear heavy armor. They just have disadvantage on any ability check, saving throw, or attack roll that involves Strength or Dexterity, and can’t cast spells if they're not proficient in it, and have their speed reduced by 10 feet if they have less than the required amount of Str.

The exception to the Str rule is dwarves - it is specifically stated under their racial features that their speed is not reduced by wearing heavy armor.
>>
>>44045857
Explain to him out-of-character that simply because something exists doesn't mean it's killable, and that simply because something is killable doesn't mean it's killable to him at this moment in time to his level 7 character; give him the usual number of 'Are You Sure's; and if he still persists, then have him suffer the logical consequences of his actions.
>>
>>44045984

I'm looking at the dwarf traits right now and I can't find that Str rule.

Regardless, doing this sounds like it's going to be a pain in the ass. Did you roll down the line?
>>
>>44045846
That's not exceptionally min/maxed, that's pretty standard.

As for character tips...

>Plant trees wherever you go. If you come back, make sure to work on the growing trees.
>Occasionally comment on how other dwarven craftsmen looked down on your work, calling you an elf-loving weakling.
>If you want your character to dislike elves, as is the dwarf stereotype, then make sure to shittalk elven wood-crafts, and how they allow their trees to grow unregulated and shitty.
>Or you could secretly like elves.
>Attempt to sell some of your work during downtime. Maybe give out freebies during public sermons.
>>
>>44045950
That....That's what I've been doing. Don't know if you mean in real life or not though.

This same guy complained about a CR 6 encounter because he died. When the rest of my players are actually complaining about the game being too easy. Thinking about just bringing it up to their difficulty until he just gets pissed off and stops coming.
>>
>>44045846
Note that with your current ability scores, you are unable to multiclass into anything that isn't Druid.

Would you like to multiclass into Druid?
>>
>>44046041
It's under speed.
>>
>>44046041
I wouldn't know; I'm not that anon. As for the rule about armor:
>Dwarf Traits
>[...]
>Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet. Your speed is not reduced by wearing heavy armor.
>>
>>44046041
No, i used 27 point buy. With racial asi already added.
>>
>>44045754
So those two ideas are just fine, but you have to have a reason why this would be such a bad thing.

Like sure it sounds like bringing back a banished god is a bad thing, but why is it a bad thing? Will he infest the world with horrible creatures? Will he start another war among the gods? What's at stake if the players fail? Same goes with an NPC who wants to become a god. So what? Why is that a bad thing?
>>
>>44046045
Thank you!

It's things like this I wanted. I have trouble thinking up character quriks like this.
>>
>>44046067
Not really a fan of multiclassing. I guess I'm not really that much of a min maxer
>>
>>44046078
>>44046097

Oh wow. That's kind of easy to gloss over.

>>44046107

Do you really want that much con? Just getting your strength to 15 so you don't suck ass in saving throws, while still using Shillelagh, sounds better than having a few extra HP every level.
>>
>>44046134
Use the Trinket tables for ideas.
>>
>>44042389
That seems fine. If I was DM i would just have the monster pick your axe up on its turn.

Also means you cant move after you attack if you want take both your weapons with you.
>>
>>44046193
Aren't Con saves more common than Str saves, though?
>>
File: what does it mean.jpg (58 KB, 1338x144) Image search: [Google]
what does it mean.jpg
58 KB, 1338x144
>>44046291
This what I just rolled, what does it mean?
>>
>>44043240
>>44042389

Dont put it on the floor. Throw it in the air when done and invent juggle murder.
>>
File: fireball.png (561 KB, 854x635) Image search: [Google]
fireball.png
561 KB, 854x635
>>44046332

Maybe. Dex saves? Definitely.
>>
>>44046332
Depends on what you're facing. Strength helps with mundane saves, like resisting disarms and shoved, but Constitution saves are overall far more common.
>>
>>44046326
>Also means you cant move after you attack if you want take both your weapons with you.
Moving isn't an action in 5e. You're allowed to do it at any time during your turn (for instance, moving between your first attack from the Attack action and those granted by Extra Attack).

Similarly, the Fighter in question can choose to move at any point when he has both weapons in his hands. As there is at least one such point in each of his turns, he can thus keep both of them with him when he moves. He may, however, end up losing some damage depending on when in the sequence he moves.
>>
>>44045723
Why cant Martial Art's be used?
>>
>>44046374
something like this with a rat head in the center. Also if I had to guess its probably on some sort of chain necklace but thats just my assumption.
>>
>>44043547
Barbarian. Berserker Bear Wildshape. Its the bees knees
>>
>>44041639
>>44041581
They dropped the ball again with this UA.
Yes they did, yes they did.

Why wont WotC just hire someone who is excited about the game and have a good knowhow of the game? Is this too hard?
>>
>>44046193
What about

Str 8 dex 14 con 15 int 12 wis 16 cha 10

I really am ok with dumping str.
>>
>>44046569

That's only +1 more and you still have disadvantage. Just dump cha and int.
>>
File: milkface2.jpg (136 KB, 1600x1071) Image search: [Google]
milkface2.jpg
136 KB, 1600x1071
>>44046107
>point buying in 5E

What the fuck is wrong with your DM?
>>
>>44046583
Disadvantage on what?
>>
>>44046569
You should build what you want to build. Nothing wrong with a cleric who can't lift for shit, or is dumb as a bag of bricks, as long as it's the character you want to play.

If you're really concerned about ability score distribution, all you really need to know is that Dex and Wis saves are the ones that are most likely to fuck you up; that you may need Con for concentration checks; and that it's obviously most optimal to have even scores in all your stats.
>>
>>44046631
>Wanting balance
Yeah, I'll probably go back to 3.5/PF to enjoy full inequality
>>
>>44046640

Dex and str saving throws.

Your dex can be low, but just have enough str to wear heavy armor so your saving throws aren't super bad.
>>
>>44046631
Now you done it anon. We haven't had the point buy vs roll argument for a while now.
>>
So if I'm doing a Paladin/Warlock multiclass, what's the best split? I was thinking Paladin2/Warlock18.

My DM has some houserules to make warlocks not so shitty/boring, specifically extending Mystic Arcana downward, and giving blade pact its invocations for free at those levels. So I definitely want at least 3 levels in Warlock for the blade pact.
>>
>>44046716
Pal18/Warlock2 is the best split unless you suck your GM's cock to have more than 1 short rest per day.
>>
>>44046631
Fuck you, Virt.
>>
>>44046666
Uhhhh...

You only have disadvantage and can't cast spells if you're not proficient in the armour, which nature Clerics are.

The only penalty for not meeting the str req is it lowers your speed by 10ft, which dwarves ignore.
>>
>>44046737
Look kid, Im a seasoned player, some might even say that Im one of the best, if not the best, gamer this board has to offer. Dont believe me? I have over 300 hundred board games at my house, over a 100 at my arms reach right now. Card games? I got a deck for every possible combination of cards of M:tg, I even go to tournments and shit. No biggie. D&D? I'm proud to say that as a player I'm always the party leader, maxed as I can be and I'm not afraid of taking that extra edge that puts me ahead of enemies and allies alike. Hell, I got to get paid for having sex with hot girls and killing dragons with my expert builds. I like to shit on the GM one-directional adventures, by solving it with brains and brawl instead of one or the other, wether the party likes it or not. When Im the GM, Im proud to say that NO PARTY ever finished one of my adventures. Think you're gonna face some lazy sleepy goblins? Think again, they are fully trained comandos, that will attack and take full cover before you can do shit. Dont hate the player, hate the game. WH40K? Dont even get me started, kiddo, shit would blow your weaklings mind on how real it gets.
Bottom line is: when I fucking say that your stupid point buy sucks, its because it sucks. You too can suck it. Hell, I bet you even use regular "4d6, discard the lowest" shit. Shows how much of a filthy pleb you are.
I only wish I could get a game of WH40K with you, just to crush both your body and soul.
>>
>>44046654
It actually breaks the power curve, that is opposite of balance.

Balance to you is competing with your own group for the spotlight.
>>
>>44046631
I use point buy in my games because it keeps things more balanced in my home games, and I also play in the AL a lot so I use point buy for my characters all the time. Tbh i don't see why people don't use point buy more often. The only downside of it is that you cant get super high stats level 1 and thats not really a complaint an average player will have.

On a side note I want to tweak the point buy system for any future home games I run. Im thinking of increasing the max score purchasable to 17 and increasing the points allowed to 32. Could this become broken or would it be a fair power boost?
>>
>>44046804
>Point buy
>Breaking power curve
The fuck? you can't buy a 18 with point buy, you have roll several with rolling stats.
Everybody has the same point buy, not everybody is going to roll the same total modifier.

Before talking shit inform yourself.
>>
>>44046775

Oh, my mistake. Sorry.
>>
>>44046828
You talking shit to the best gamer this board has to offer, anon?
>>
>>44046646
Given that, I'm happy to go with my latest distribution.
>>
>>44046870
Which is literally just the standard array.
15 14 13 12 10 8
>>
>>44043909
>>44042165
A lot of Green depends on how warm and fertile it is, as well as the distance to Blue. Personally I'd recommend having Blue be utter thundercunts with very tense (if necessary) trade relations and Green primarily rely on farming, fishing and mining for subsistence.

Don't hit me, but I'd say there are many parallels between Pre-hellenic Greece and Japan, only that the presence of land-based trade routes prevented the kind of societal stratification seen in Japan.
>>
>>44046828
Don't reply to Virt
>>
>>44046825
You have to make sure that you can only start with an 18 max after racial modifiers, and buying into 18 points after racials is such a huge point sink that the only reason to do so is if you're a huge min/maxer.
>>
>>44046716
>and giving blade pact its invocations for free at those level
At what, 5 and 12? You're not staying until 12, and you already get Extra Attack from Paladin.

Which patron are you planning on taking anyway?
>>
File: 1363473004719.gif (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1363473004719.gif
3 MB, 320x240
>>44046828
>someone is better than me in a certain situation!
>someone rolled better than me!

Do you even know what game you're playing?

I bet you play with group level experience too because, it's too triggering seeing someone with an extra level over youself.
>>
>>44046981
>actually using XP
kek
>>
>>44046934
At 5 and 12 so far, although my DM is really for making warlock work. It's his favorite class.

I was planning on going undying light. I really like the idea of a paladin serving a light-based something of some sort that isn't necessarily good. Like Meridia from Elder Scrolls.
>>
>>44046981
I only use experience points when I play doctor with your mother.
>>
>>44045523

Oh really?

I didn't really have much of a plan but I rolled stats to support it. Was kind of thinking melee caster.

The story I had was Cleric of Amatatuar and I was studying negative energy shit so I become shadow but then God helped me out and now boom
>>
>>44045230
kek
>>
>>44046917
If Blue knew that Green needed food, why wouldn't Blue realize that Green isn't in a prosperous situation and take over green?
>>
>>44042630
Might be because Warlocks are the only spellcasters that regain slots on short rests. Potentially you could Conjure Barlgura, then Dimension Door followed by a short rest, repeating this until the whole place is cleared.

But these could definitely be added as Eldritch Invocations
>>
>>44047026
Any Bladelock would be taking those Invocations regardless of whether they were free, but even if they're free, they still won't get anything else that would let them fight on-par with the big hitters.

Dipping 5 levels gets you nothing other than the extra spell, since you already get Extra Attack from Paladin. Basically an empty level.
Dipping 4 levels gets you an ASI.
Dipping 3 levels gets you your pact. For Bladelock, this means you get a weapon and automatic proficiency. This would be useful, if you didn't already get proficiency in all weapons from paladin. Honestly, you might get more mileage from Shillelagh via Tomelock since it lets you focus only on 1 ability score.
Dipping 2 levels gets you Invocation. Your primary concern will be Agonizing Blast. Consider whether you see yourself using Eldritch Blade much, and decide for yourself whether you want to go for a second level over the first.
Dipping 1 level gets you Hex and Radiant Soul. This shit is actually somewhat useful, though it'd be more useful if you could hit more times.

Consider taking a level in Rune Scribe, if your DM allows Unearthed Arcana, to grab the rune which turns the damage type of all your attacks with a single weapon to fire.
>>
>>44046927
You make a good point, but thats why I capped it at 17. At highest you can get 19 after racial bonuses. with the slight increase in total points using this system you could get 16, 16, 12, 12, 10, 8. Its more powerful than normal point buy but not to the point of being broken, but maybe I overlooked something.

>>44047016
I use XP because our groups old DM had a horrid problem of never letting anyone level up even after 4 or 5 sessions. It was terrible. By using XP my players know how long til they level up.
>>
>>44047238
I just eyeball it mostly.

Also in 3e it's very obvious even from the XP table that one or two small adventures should get you to level 3-4.
>>
>>44047070
15, 8, 17, 16, 15, 17

Human, worships AMAUNATOR

16, 9, 18, 17, 16, 18

Speed: 30ft
Size: Medium
Languages: Common + 1

Free Feat: War Caster
Background: Cloistered Scholar
Prof: History + Arcana/Nature/Religion
Languages: 2

1st Level:

Life Cleric
Prof: 2 from History/Insight/Medicine/Persuasion/Religion
Light armor, medium armor, heavy armor, shields
All simple weapons
Wisdom, Charisma
3 Cantrips
Prepare spells from Cleric list + Bless and Cure wounds.
Wis + cleric level = number prepared = 3 + 1 = 4
Healing spells of 1st level or higher add 2 + spell level HP.

2nd Level:

Shadow Sorcerer
Prof: none
4 Cantrips
Known spells from Sorcerer list, 2
Eyes of the Dark From 1st level, you have darkvision with a range of 60 feet. You can cast darkness by spending 1 sorcery point. You can see through any darkness spell you cast using this ability.
Strength of the Grave Starting at 1st level, your existence in a twilight state between life and death makes you difficult to defeat. Whenever damage reduces you to 0 hit points, you can make a Constitution saving throw (DC 5 + the damage taken). On a success, you instead drop to 1 hit point. You cannot use this feature if you are reduced to 0 hit points by radiant damage or by a critical hit.

3rd Level:

Undying Light Warlock
Prof: no new ones
2 cantrips + light + sacred flame
Known spells from Warlock list + burning hands, 2

You have resistance to radiant damage, and when you cast a spell that deals radiant damage or fire damage, you add your Charisma modifier to that damage

3 spell slots for Sorc/Cleric
1 spell slot from Warlock
11 cantrips (lol)

here is what i got so far, stats are down the line so i cant rearrange
>>
>>44047194
My warlock would have access to smite, which would put it on the same level as a paladin, and even past it once it gets the extra CHA damage with the pact weapon.

For reference a Paladin gets 2 attacks and smites. Bladelock multiclass would get 2 attacks, smite, and charisma modifier on each hit at later levels, along with higher level spells.

What do you think a bladelock is missing that would put it on par with the other melee attackers? The only thing that really comes to mind is maybe an invocation that would allow you to cast a cantrip after making a melee attack. Attack + GFB and smites seems like it would work well enough.
>>
>all theses babies whinging about the UA.
It's fucking free, you entitled shits. This isn't DDI, you aren't paying them anything to produce this stuff. They're probably a bit busy working on stuff that will actually bring in money. UA is clearly just a little side project. Your expectation are completely fucking unreasonable.

I don't even know why you people are so fucking desperate for more rules. D&D is notorious for rules-bloat that does nothing but damage the game, and yet you're desperately begging for it and throwing tantrums when they refuse to indulge your unquenchable thirst for shit. For free.
>>
>>44044208
They're a bit pricey for what's essentially an aesthetic difference during travels.
>>
>>44046734
The game basically assumes you get two.
Warlock is balanced/viable with 3.

Most parties get 1.
>>
>>44041581
> UA Edition
> UA is about Demons
> Posts a Slad

OP, I...
>>
Hey guys! Here's the link to the Primeval Thule campaign setting, now updated with the GM Companion and two adventures!

https://mega.nz/#F!CJUzERAa!qKHnxa3VfKrNDph2BM5AyA
>>
>>44047716
>He doesn't know that's a hezrou
>>
>>44041639
Wait, am I reading right that they just straight up printed the tiefling from the books, and then a couple spells?
>>
>>44047716
>>44047740
What I'm getting here is that Wizards is creatively bankrupt.
>>
Havent played fifth at all yet and I am about to join some friends in a campaign. How are barbarians this edition powerwise?
>>
>>44047782
You know that slaadi and hezrou have existed since first edition, right..?
>>
>>44047407
>and charisma modifier on each hit at later levels, along with higher level spells.
Similarly, Improved Divine Smite gives Paladins 1d8 Radiant per hit and an additional 1d8 every time you use your Smite feature (which should be every single time you hit).

>along with higher level spells
True enough. By going Warlock 12 / Paladin 8 instead of Warlock 5 / Paladin 15 (that is, the level at which you gain the relevant Invocations), you get 3 fifth level Warlock slots instead of 2 third level per short rest, and 1 sixth level spell per long. In terms of Paladin spells, you lose 3 third level slots and 2 fourth level slots per long rest.

It's up to you to look at the features you gain and lose alongside the spells and decide whether it's worth the tradeoff.

>What do you think a bladelock is missing that would put it on par with the other melee attackers?
The Warlock is a caster first and a melee combatant second. That's why Blade Pact is an archetype instead of a class of its own. The Warlock has little support for a melee playstyle, and therefore simply cannot do as well in melee as those classes that were designed around melee (excepting, possibly, certain classes which suffer from poor design). A properly built Bladelock can't out-damage or out-survive a properly built Fighter or a Barbarian. Nor can it out-control a decent Monk.

And, of course, there's the issue of a Bladelock with Eldritch Blast and that one Invocation dealing just about as much damage as an optimized melee Bladelock.
>>
>>44047835
They're okay damage-wise but can take a ridiculous amount of damage (especially since their Rage halves all physical damage, or all damage except psychic if you take the Bear totem at 3rd level).
>>
>>44047835
They are pretty solid. They will generally have a lower AC than other melee combatants but you get resistance to all physical attacks (swords, arrows, claws, ect.). Its pretty rad, plus bear totem bolsters this so you can resist everything except psychic damage. The only downside if that their rages are limited, but thats hardly a major problem.
>>
>>44047835
They are pretty solidly not-shit, but they can be a little MAD depending on how you're getting your AC.
>>
>>44047270
> 8 Dex
You're fucked, but let's keep going:

> 3 separate classes by Level 3
You are an idiot. You are permitted to develop your character in any way you choose, but assload of cantrips aside you remain a mediocre spellcaster with a smattering of first-level features.
All three of the classes you've chosen get their meat at level 2: Clerics get Channel Divinity, Sorcerers get Spoints, and Warlocks get invocations. I make special mention of the last one because Warlocks without invocations are an unremitting pile of hot garbage, and that's coming from someone who loves him some Warlocks.

I'm serious: put at least 2 levels into one of these classes. There's such a thing as character development, and it's OK to wait for another level to grab other class features.
>>
>>44047855
Nobody said it was a recent phenomenon, Anon.
>>
Anyone else feel like shit when you miss a spell? Its like "YEAH ITS FINALLY MY TURN! NOW ITS TIME TO CAST... HOLD PERSON! Whats that DM? They saved?! Oh I guess I spend the next 4 turns twiddling my fucking thumbs then. THANKS!"

Fuck.. playing casters feels so fulfilling and unfulfilling sometimes.
>>
>>44047611
>it being free means any criticism is unwarranted
Take it to FF.net
>>
>>44047749
No because you're illiterate.

SCAG is a few tiefling variant rules, and the UA is a new tiefling sub-race (abyssal). Most of the rules in SCAG only work for the PHB Tiefling, but you can still use the appearance and feral variant rules on the abyssal tiefling if you want RAI.
>>
>>44048121
> laughing barbarians.ogg
>>
>>44048121
I do feel kind of bad for my warlock player when it gets to his turn and his spell misses or is saved against. Gonna start having more baddies going after him so he has a chance to use misty step etc and actually have stuff to worry about on his turn rather than waiting several minutes to get through everybody else and then he just misses.
>>
I asked this in the previous thread but was never answered. Reposting it here. Hope that's okay.

I'm in a party with three other players. The four of us are a bard (me), a druid, a fighter, and a paladin.

My level 2 bard has a DEX of 16. I want to get his AC as high as possible since at this level I do run out of spells fairly quickly and I'd like to be able to fight if we get jumped while resting or something.

Any other advice on how to stay at least somewhat useful at low levels, where I can cast 3 spells and then I'm down to cantrips that only do anything at all if the opponent fails a will save? This game is fun as fuck in general, but I find myself feeling like, "Well, I used my last level 1 spell. Might as well go get a snack and a drink, take a leak and maybe a nap. Let me know if I die."

Also, should I take faerie fire even if the druid already has it? It's a really good spell, and it does require concentration, so it would allow us more options if we both had it, I suppose, but I dunno.
>>
I don't have the chance to look at all of the spells yet, but are there any spells that allow you to heal by drawing power from the dead around you? I didn't think there would be, but so far it' the only homebrewed spell I have for a subclass I'm making nd it'd be simpler if there was something already like it.
>>
>>44048212
You can fucking shut down entire encounters with Sleep. Tasha's Hideous Laughter can effectively drop a big enemy that fails its save as well.

In terms of dealing damage, Bard's obviously won't on par with the fighter or the paladin or possibly even the druid, depending on his build.

But you do get the best hard control cantrip, bar none: Vicious Mockery. It deals a piddly 1d4 damage, but disadvantage on the next attack (spell OR weapon) basically means you look at the guy with the big axe and tell him to suck an effective -4 penalty to hit. That's a huge fucking penalty right there. And neither you nor your druid will have to heal the damage from that attack, because it never fucking hit in the first place.

But if you really feel like you really want to deal damage, consider dipping a level to grab Undying Light 'Lock, which gives you Greenflame Blade, Hex and +Cha to Radiant/Fire spells (such as the aforementioned Greenflame Blade). But if you want to deal damage, why'd you even pick Bard in the first place?
>>
>>44048212
I'd say since neither class prepares spells no. Then again I am a forever DM and haven't been a player since 4e JUST launched, so I'm more of an out-looking-in opinion. I'd say the safest bet is to take a spell that the Druid can't learn, or if they're planning on going Moon Druid to take some healing.
>>
>>44048212
>My level 2 bard has a DEX of 16. I want to get his AC as high as possible since at this level I do run out of spells fairly quickly and I'd like to be able to fight if we get jumped while resting or something.

Studded leather makes you AC 12 + 3 from DEX. If you want more then that you need to grab medium armor/shield training somehow* or start begging the casters to use their concentration slot to buff your AC.

*Best option is probably a 1-3 level dip in Fighter or Paladin which will give you proficiency in both shields and medium armor

>Any other advice on how to stay at least somewhat useful at low levels, where I can cast 3 spells and then I'm down to cantrips that only do anything at all if the opponent fails a will save? This game is fun as fuck in general, but I find myself feeling like, "Well, I used my last level 1 spell. Might as well go get a snack and a drink, take a leak and maybe a nap. Let me know if I die."

Use a shortbow (or longbow if you're an Elf) instead of your cantrip for damage. Damage is better, and the attack is the same or better unless you have a 18-20 in CHA
>>
File: 0001.jpg (852 KB, 2850x2400) Image search: [Google]
0001.jpg
852 KB, 2850x2400
Map dump:
>>44047941
>>
>>44048388
>I don't have the chance to look at all of the spells yet, but are there any spells that allow you to heal by drawing power from the dead around you? I didn't think there would be, but so far it' the only homebrewed spell I have for a subclass I'm making nd it'd be simpler if there was something already like it.
What does it do, mechanically? Is it just a Necromancy School spell that heals or do the bodies actually matter?

Personally I'd calculate it as {Amount of bodies * creature max HP/3 - 5}
>>
>>44048529
Forgot to mention you ALSO get shield and medium armor proficiency if you go Valor Bard, which you get the chance to do so at level 3.
>>
So unless a spell says so, do you no longer add your spellcasting modifier to the end of damage rolls? I know that there's an invocation for Warlocks to let them add their Charisma mod to EB, but I thought that was because EB does 1d10 force damage, which is the highest damage die cantrip in the game.
>>
>>44047134
and take over green?
They would constantly try, that's the point I'm trying to make.Cue an incredibly paranoid caste of warrior nobility emerging over time with heavy reliance on small unit tactics to harass any invading force trying to make landfall.

>If Blue knew that Green needed food,
Nono, they can produce their own food from the sea and land.
>>
>>44048546

Well, you could cast Vampiric Touch on your pet undead.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.