[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pathfinder General /pfg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 73
File: 1448487671096.gif (11 KB, 408x408) Image search: [Google]
1448487671096.gif
11 KB, 408x408
Pathfinder General /pfg/

If you are asking for build advice, please mention which third-party books are allowed. If you do not say anything, we will assume DSP/SoP is allowed.

Unified /pfg/ link repository:
http://pastebin.com/HwxEjiKW (embed)

Old thread
>>43901524

How long until your next game?
>>
>>43908964
we're actually over in >>43907367 sorry
tomorrow evening.
>>
What ever happened to that one shot that was advertised on Saturday?
>>
>>43908329
Hmm. The existing multiclass rules don't work very well at all, Except for the stuff that stacks from multiple classes.
>>
This thread'll probably get some use soon
>>
>ITT: that class idea you have that you want to play
>>
>>43912618
I really basically want to play a warrior from golden sun but that doesn't really exist in d&d
>>
>>43912618
A "caster" STR martial class that can cast from a list of "Deeds", which are like spells.

The deeds and "Acts" (which are their cantrips) are very damage focused, but all of them are melee touch attacks or empower the caster.

The general idea is that they're based off of the crazy shit mythological warroirs like Beowulf and Hercules could do through muscle alone.
>>
>>43911171
>Multiclassing between initiators is a step down in general power (need to meet prerequisites for your maneuvers before you dip, only four levels of dip viable before losing initiator levels and delaying the progression) but a massive step up in versatility (get a bunch of lower-level boosts, counters, and strikes for all occasions, as well as the fairly good recovery mechanisms which are abilities in their own right, and even more low-level stances, many of which are powerful in the right situations).

PoW multiclassing is about breadth over depth.
>>
File: 1432172751126.jpg (192 KB, 855x644) Image search: [Google]
1432172751126.jpg
192 KB, 855x644
TFW I get home in time for new thread to start.

How's tricks, /pfg/?
>>
>>43912715
... I did not mean to greentext that. Fuck.
>>
This is probably a stupid question but can you make a prestige class your first class?
>>
>>43912821
no
>>
>>43912821
Nope.
>>
>>43912821
Prestige classes have entry requirements which must be met. Now, it's possible that a PrC ends up being the first /class level/ you have, because you already have racial hit dice, but this is rare enough to not be assumed or even considered unless specifically invoked.

Either way, to take a first level in a prestige class you must meet all of its requirements.
>>
>>43912821
As a half-elf, you can have it count-as, I think.
>>
>>43912715
Hmm. And I guess low level maneuvers are now useful to high level initiators than low level spells are useful to high level mages.
>>
>>43912953
Prestige classes may never be favored class
>>
>>43913001
They really are. Counters and boosts especially, since many of the best counters stay relevant thanks to native scaling ("make a skill check to block an attack" never stops being good, nor does "move as a swift action"), and if you multiclass around, you can trade overall power (high-level maneuvers) for always having a large arsenal of useful abilities.
>>
>>43912618
basically patapon
>>
>>43913001
A lot of low level spells stay relevant throughout a career. Longstrider, Barkskin, Resist energy, ect.
>>
>>43913037
but that had like thirteen classes
>>
File: Sage.jpg (59 KB, 874x1000) Image search: [Google]
Sage.jpg
59 KB, 874x1000
>>43912618
Not shitty "War Mage" class. Archetypes/Options for specializing in Int,Charisma,Wisdom. Uses blasty shit all day, doesn't really cast spells.

I'm working on a Mystic archetype that's kinda like that, but I'm debating making it it's own class, I've halted work because finals. I might post a draft a bit latter.
>>
>>43912618
A class like Warlock from 3.5 , a guy who goes like, limited spellcasting? Whats that?
>>
>>43913239

Warlock was shit as blasting, is the issue.
>>
>>43913132
Isn't that quite doable with SOP?
>>
>>43913266
Real goddamn fun, though.
>>
>>43913147
And the drummer, so like a tactician/bard hybrid.
>>
>>43913344

Oh, definitely. I enjoy the warlock greatly, especially if playing the Wolverine Claws version.
>>
I want to make a spell that quickly and accurately appraises the value of treasure. Considering that it would only eliminate the need to waste time counting coins and bypass (or give a bonus on) appraise checks for determining the value of objects, should it be a 1st or 2nd level spell?

I haven't worked out all the details yet but at the moment I'm thinking it would be a spell with a 1 minute casting time and a rather cheap material focus (probably something like a magnifying glass or jeweler's loupe worth 50 GP) which determines the exact number of individual kinds of coins as well as makes an appraisal check using your caster level as the bonus on all the treasure within a circle you draw before casting the spell.
>>
>>43913266
It was pretty much the only class that fit an idea i had for a character, though her being overpowered by design is maybe boring.
>>
>>43913192
http://pastebin.com/5QKqpJLs
Here it is, very much a work in progress and probably still very shit.
>>
>>43912717
>tricks?
Boy, when you get to be my age, you gotta do double-anal or no-one'll hire ya.
>>
File: 1421942642393.jpg (57 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1421942642393.jpg
57 KB, 645x773
>>43912618
>that class idea you have that you want to play

At this point it could be just about anything, I just want an opportunity to play.

The few games that fit my schedule have shitty rules or character creation regulations, and the handful that are both in my schedule and have competent rules are filled up or die after a session.

Why do I even play this game anyway.
>>
>>43913570

It sounds like you don't play this game though
>>
Tell us your character concepts.
>>
So I'd like to play a Changeling for my next character's race. A few of us are doing a "Sons of Katie Elder"/"Four Brothers" thing for our background, and I figured I'd go with the sister "brother" of the group. Can't decide on a class, though.

Was thinking of doing a Shapeshifter Ranger, focusing on the Changelings natural claws they start with and using that with the Nat Attack path with the shapeshifting Ranger. Undead Lord is also something I've considered, as I've always wanted to play one. I figure some kind of Oracle could work as well. I still feel like there's some other class or classes that I'm forgetting that might be even better. Gm doesn't allow any 3rd party stuff. Just all the basic Pathfinder books.

Thoughts and suggestions, guys? Would really love some input on this gal.
>>
>>43913700
>a kyton tiefling kyton bloodrager who is obsessed with finding his kyton mother and earning a place in kyton society
>>
>>43913588

But I do anon, I do.
>>
>>43913847
Grandmother. Remember, Tieflings are quarter or less fiendish.
>>
>>43912618
Something decently effective that uses guns. Opportunities are sparse, needless to say.
>>
>>43913700
An Alchemist who wants to poison Demon Lords before forcibly converting them to a good alignment.
>>
>>43913847
>kyton mother
Tieflings don't work like that
>>
>>43908964
So /pfg/, have a premise for a new game; horror and loss underpin the world, set in the modern day, things like ghosts and ghouls and their ilk exist and torture, kill or drive insane members of the general public.
The players work for an organization dedicated to keeping up the ruse of denial, lest they wish to spread untold levels of panic.
Good so far?
Modern guns don't work at all on these creatures but magic does.
The players also hold down a day job and/or are "dead"
>>
File: 1405548634339.png (46 KB, 569x571) Image search: [Google]
1405548634339.png
46 KB, 569x571
>>43914302
>Modern guns don't work at all on these creatures but magic does.
I hate you
>>
>>43914302
>Modern guns don't work on these creatures

Why not.
>>
>>43908964
Ah shit, posted in dead thread. Trying again here
>>43914285
>>
>>43912618
Cooking based Bard.

It would replace it's Bardic Performance with the ability to prepare special meals that grant bonuses based on what ingredients you use and how you prepare it. Like for example, Bard wakes up and prepares some Chicken Stew. Since chickens are a semi flying creature, all ranged attacks made that day would have a +1 to hit and +1 damage. Some Beef Sandwiches would give a +2 to fortitude saves. If you use rare or expensive material the better the bonus. Like Fairy Dragon meat would give a +1 luck bonus to all rolls made that day.
>>
>>43914394
See the reply given to you in that thread.
>>
>>43914315
>>43914327
Loaded with rock salt and other condiments it will.
Magic weapons especially, they get spell resistance

Gun's'll just stun the creatures
>>
>>43914476
Do swords just stun the creatures to?

Do you just hate martials?
>>
>>43914476
You missed the operative question.

WHY?
>>
>>43914414
No, I saw it. I don't see how that helps any
>>
>>43914494
>>43914496
It's how these creatures managed to survive to the present day, and kinda semi-based on x's shit about creatures not even registering shots from a firearm or just getting angrier.

Magic swords will slice through these creatures no problem and martials should generally be pretty strong against them
>>
>>43914582
So why wouldn't magic bullets hurt them.
>>
>>43914582
Alright, so, explain why, precisely, this works. Explain through what effect they prevent this damage. Is it some kind of magical aura that protects against normal harm but can't deal with magical strikes? Is it a psychic aura that makes it so that people can't attack them without the surety of a magical attack? Is it just really tough skin?

we're asking for an explanation here.
>>
>>43914582
Makes sense. Rock salt sawed-off to stun them, and finish 'em off with a magic axe or something sounds like a fun combo
>>
>>43914592
They should a la Hellboy
>>
>>43914632
Cool ideas, magical aura for some creatures, psychic auras for others and yeah, generally tough skin represented by DR and the like.
The ones with magical and psychic auras also use the same to "hide" and "deceive" the general public

>>43914636
Sweet as
>>
>>43914692
Might I suggest just going with fairly high DR/Magic then? It accomplished much the same thing in many instances, and it means that a tank shell to the face is still something a werewolf has to be worried about.
>>
>>43914642
As long as you allow people to still use magical guns/bullets if you want then its fine

They're even easy to stat out if you want
>>
>>43913700
A lazy, dispassionate Skinwalker Bloodrager who adventures for two reasons - one, because his mother will literally kill him if he doesn't become a hero of some renown in five years' time, and two, his Bloodrages are the only time he feels anything besides disgust at his own abominable genome and lack of real accomplishments.
>>
>>43914717
Or possibly regeneration that gets shut off by magic? Bullets will slow the creature down, but it won't kill it without magical help.
>>
>>43914717
Excellent, thanks heaps

Also planning on using the mechanics in the Occult Bestiary and monsters in the later bestiaries so the players don't metagame like shit
>>
>>43914582
Can't they just be really fucking tough,you know so guns don't immediately make them dead?
>>
>>43914733
Yeah, will definitely don't you worry, it's just the regular bullets
>>
>>43914795
Cool idea, thanks heaps
Will incorporate
>>
>>43914762
Nice, thanks heaps
Will incorporate as well
>>
Thanks heaps all :D
>>
File: 1447256121412.jpg (65 KB, 640x462) Image search: [Google]
1447256121412.jpg
65 KB, 640x462
So, a question that's recently become relevant to my life: how does /pfg/ feel running a quest is and isn't similar to running a Pathfinder campaign? A more narrative system's campaign?
>>
File: 1448903983652.png (474 KB, 719x765) Image search: [Google]
1448903983652.png
474 KB, 719x765
>>43914898
>>
Question:

Say I'm playing a character that has negative energy affinity. He's using a weapon with the Vicious quality on it. Now, Vicious means it does 2d6 extra damage to the person that gets hit, but does 1d6 damage in return. One of the ingredients in making a Vicious weapon is Eveneration, which does negative energy damage. Now, because my character has negative energy affinity, would he in fact be healed by that 1d6 from the Vicious property of the weapon?
>>
>>43915061
No, that's stupid. As written it's untyped damage specifically so you can't cheese your way around it.
>>
>>43914977
quest threads, and the threads discussing them, are a hideous malignance that should have been tucked away into its own board years ago.
>>
>>43915061
Vicious is untyped.
>>
Why are half-fiend and half-celestial humanoids rare to the point of nonexistence?
Where do all the aasimars and tieflings come from?
>>
>>43914977
Not really similar at all. Running a quest is more like writing fiction, except you give the "players" some meaningless choices along the way to make them feel like they're actually involved.
>>
>>43915098
Corruption/blessing of fetuses, mostly.

Also, you underestimate people's ability to be prolific, and planetouched stay planetouched through multiple generations. Half-outsiders are just a one generation deal.
>>
>>43914977
A quest is way more narrative, decision-driven and open than a campaign, ANYTHING could happen.
>>
>>43914977
Quests are cancer and should have been banned as soon as tgchan became a thing.
>>
>>43914394
Any other people able to help with this? The non-combat assigned side would be greatly appreciated, since it looks like this game might involve a dose of things other than combat, and alongside that I'm the only party member with a really good perception check
>>
>>43914302
I would play in that
>>
>>43915086
>>43915225
Didn't quests kinda, um, originate on /tg/?

Then they spread out, only to be forced back here with "the rest of the D&D" because other boards didn't want them?

Wouldn't that make us the cancer from which the tumor grew?
>>
File: kirby_gore.jpg (37 KB, 504x373) Image search: [Google]
kirby_gore.jpg
37 KB, 504x373
>>43914977
Quests are basically like the fiction you write for your iconics, but combined with the american electoral college (and the people who own it)

In quests you pretend that there's some kind of choice, and get a bunch of naive optimists to 'vote' on it, and then proceed to continue the story EXACTLY as you'd planned with whatever action/decision they "voted" on as the direct result/continuence/reaction-to whatever it was they voted.

They are the pinnacle of "shut up, I'm telling a story" GMing.
>>
>>43913829

Still looking for some advice here.
>>
>>43915412
>"as soon as tgchan became a thing"
implies they should've been excised from here and sent over there rather than allowed to metastasize.

Anon, before you talk to older relatives, I suggest you learn that when someone or something suffers from a tumor, THEY, THEMSELVES, are not the cancer, they are AFFLICTED with cancer.

Don't go calling your great-aunt the cancer if you want to avoid a very uncomfortable moment.
>>
>>43914302
Perhaps guns and modern technology (cell phone cameras, night vision) doesn't work on monsters since they have a magical aura that prevents new inventions from being as effective. Kind of like how magic causes technology to go haywire in some fiction, this extends to mechanical processes like vehicles and guns. They carry the Old World with them and it protects them from the New. It'll take a few decades or hundred years for our level of technology to affect them.

A modern day firearm, fully automatic with armor piercing bullets will just bounce off while a muzzle loaded musket will cause it some injury while a crossbow could be a kill shot. It gives an excuse why they have existed for so long and it makes carrying around a sword or crossbow a necessity.

Magic bullets or blessed ammo might be able to get around this limitation, but most people would prefer to have a holy sword than some bullets blessed by a priest that wouldn't be as effective in the long run.
>>
>>43915421
Mostly because I'm guessing few of us if any have heard of your inspiration or know it well enough in any way to help you.
>>
>>43914399
I love this.

Gareth, pls
>>
>>43914302
>Good so far?

Are there Japanese-American Kitsune and Huldra in Michigan?
>>
>>43914977
Basically, what >>43915415 said.
Yes, some quests can actually manage to go beyond and provide some actual twists and plot-changes based on the people taking a part in it, but most "Quest Masters" are just telling a story and the choices aren't really important at all. There's rarely a sense of actually changing how the story goes based on the collective's decisions, and sometimes QMs even outright ignore the majority because they "voted for a joke option" or whatever.

It's honestly not that great of a system unless you have an EXTREMELY competent QM, or someone who doesn't take things too seriously and is willing to go along with open-ended stupidity.

Now, why has it become recently-relevant to you, Gareth?
>>
>>43915483
>Huldra in Michigan
God, I hope so.
>you will never meet your waifu on South Manitou Island
>>
>>43915098
>Why are half-fiend and half-celestial humanoids rare to the point of nonexistence?

It's hard to get fucked by a demon and live to talk about it.

It's also hard to convince a Ghaele to be your girlfriend and expect her to stick around for the time it takes for a child to appear.

Furthermore, I've got the feeling celestial/fiendish pregnancies are conscious decisions; that Ghaele might get fucked, but she decides if it "sticks", much like the fiend decides the same.
>>
>>43915472

I'm more looking for classes that work well with a Changeling than the movies that we're basing the backgrounds of our characters. I plan on focusing on the Changeling starting with 2 claw attacks, so she'd be fighting that way primarily. Was looking for advice on classes and feats that would compliment that way of fighting, like Improved Natural Attack and such.
>>
>>43915555
The bestiary entry on solars mentions that they can't get pregnant, so they can only go into a male form and father a child. Obviously doesn't work the same for every outsider, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was fairly common.
>>
File: 1431230229959.gif (387 KB, 269x270) Image search: [Google]
1431230229959.gif
387 KB, 269x270
>>43915489
Because I'm running one, anon, and I got curious as to the perspective on comparisons. Thread's live.
>>
File: 1430365558218.gif (182 KB, 384x408) Image search: [Google]
1430365558218.gif
182 KB, 384x408
>>43915483
>>43915526

>Huldra with adorable Minnesotan accents
>Selkie in Maine
>New York apartments populated by entire colonies of Domovoi
>>
>>43915682
>shitting up /tg/ with more quest threads
please
>>
>>43915682

Gareth, we trusted you.

Why would you do this to us?
>>
>>43915469
>>43914302
Honestly that's always a cheap copout. There's no reason this wouldn't affect "lesser" technologies too. Why would things work for steel blades and crossbow bolts?

While INITIAL, EARLY encounters could result in weapons that don't work, there would almost immediately be, as a result, a mad fucking rush of *SCIENCE*. No researcher, engineer or technician worth their salt would fail to immediately JUMP into this sudden paradigm shift.

We're looking at anywhere from weeks to months before someone's using drones to draw summoning circles, and while much weaker than a standard Disintegrator Rifle's Burst or Charge modes, even your Iphone 7-Mg has a magic missile function just in case.

Even the standard mage would likely cum all over himself at the chance to get a snazzy new mana-battery set he can just swap out like magazines instead of charging his staff the oldfashioned way.

Why? Because magic has its own rules, and there's people who live to turn those rules into fun stuff. That "ambiant energy" magical entities manipulate would get shown, devices that CAN detect and manipulate it would get built (this doesn't necessarily mean "of course there's electronic sensors that work here", but rather that even crystal balls would get refined and hooked up for greater utility)

If magic is out there, technology will build off that as well. Not because it is lesser or better, but because "Technology" is nothing more or less than the direct application of ANYTHING we realize or discover. 'Modern' stuff just applies methods of knowledge-transmission and production less obscure than "only this one old geezer knows, and all of his secrets die with him". The archiving's a little better.

Magic would not lead to a return to dark ages, nor would it lead (except as a fashion deal with young civvies) to teenagers running around with katanas somehow more useful than fully armed forces.

Magic would lead to an entire new generation of tech, weapons and gadgets.
>>
>>43915682
I know you're /tg/'s pet dev and all, but just fucking No, man. Quest threads are a goddamn cancer.
>>
>>43915682
I don't care, do what you want.
>>
File: 1448415384333.png (365 KB, 658x639) Image search: [Google]
1448415384333.png
365 KB, 658x639
>>43915774
>>43915745
>>43915797

Because I was curious. And because of long association with Hunter Command & Cain Labs. But mostly, honestly, because I have too much urge to write and somehow not enough outlets, so I figured, fuck it, worst thing that can possibly happen is it crashes and burns, best thing that happens is I get to make something fun and engaging with reader participation.

The die is already cast. The first thread has already been ran. The second is now live. Like it or not I'm in for it now.
>>
>>43915682
Okay. There is nothing objectively wrong with running a quest. There is, however, a lot wrong with running one on /tg/. Quests are not a traditional game. Quests have nothing to do with traditional games. The kind of people who read quests keep shitting up /tg/ with their bullshit in unrelated threads. /tg/ is a very bad place to run a quest. I strongly suggest you go over here instead.

http://tgchan.org/kusaba/quest/

It was started by people from /tg/ years ago. There's a lot of furries, but it's not 100% furry and it's actually specifically for quests.
>>
>>43915856
See >>43915864 if you haven't already. There are alternatives to /tg/ if you want to run quests. They're also fine with text quests, and the posting speed is generally slower if you prefer more time to think of things. There's also this if you'd like.

http://tgchan.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://tgchan.org/kusaba/questdis/res/15880.html A thread of advice for quest authors.
>>
So I was getting into some discussions with people about Bloodborne weapons, and making them using the weapon design rules. Thoughts? Or is it too much effort for not enough gain?
>>
>>43915856
Run a campaign, man.
>>
>>43915856
Run an actual campaign
>>
>>43915929
Aren't they just weapons with alternative forms? Like a scythe that can become a spear or a gun or something?
>>
>>43915967
Yeah, from what I have heard. There's a wheel one too, but I do 't think it transforms
>>
>>43915989
Probably not too hard to make, then. Just make a new "trick" quality that lets the weapon swap forms and poach preexisting weapon stats for each form. Do they do anything special other than transform?
>>
>>43915856
...Gareth, man, are you bored or something? Do you want to join a game?
>>
File: AngryGarethNoises.gif (1 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
AngryGarethNoises.gif
1 MB, 500x500
>>43916060
I'D FUCKING LOVE ONE, HONESTLY, EXCEPT:

> Retail scheduling issues lol
> Only player base I currently know is a quarter of a tank of gas away
> They also have retail scheduling lol
> I can't commit to live-time online because SEE ABOVE
> Can't do voice because NO MIC
> Most PbPs that threaten to have an intersting premise are either defiled by assholes, die, or both.

So I ain't got shit. Last game I tried to join originated here and died before it could live.
>>
>>43916151
Gareth, what do you think of
>>43915864
>>43915895 ?
>>
>>43916151
It's the designer's curse man. Neither of us will get games.
>>
>>43916027
I'm not sure. Not the same anon who brought it up, I haven't even played the game. But from what I've been told, that weapon trick feature would do just fine.
>>
>>43916151
What if the group in question has a fairly flexibile schedule for when they play, is online, text-based, and can try to accomodate a shifting schedule?

>>43916207
See above.
>>
File: 1448817391292.png (151 KB, 1277x1444) Image search: [Google]
1448817391292.png
151 KB, 1277x1444
>>43914302
Do this please
>>
>>43916151
Mics are literally 5$. I'm sure someone here would just paypal you the money for it.
>>
>>43916223
Depends on the story and rules. I'm not playing in a 15 point buy 1st party only game.
>>
>>43916207
Hey, I've got a game. And have suffered from Gareth's curse of scheduling before.
>>
>>43916559
What? Why would you ever allow higher than 10pb? 10pb, core book only, can't play anything with casters, even SLAs or optional like rogue talents.
>>
>>43916617
102 point buy, all books allowed, full CR free template stacking, no race restrictions
>>
>>43916679
Jesus Christ man.
>>
>>43916559
0 pb, CRB only, human only, NPC classes for the first 5 levels. Muh gritty realism.
>>
>>43916701
Oh, I thought we were negotiating. It's important to start from a strong position.
>>
>>43914302
Are you planning on running this game on here?
>>
>>43916730
I'm not the anon you were responding to.
>>
>>43916774
I have no way of knowing that. You gave no indication that was the case.
>>
>>43916559
I'm the GM of one of the games he meant, assuming the Skype chat is accurate. Might as well post and see if you're interested. Some guys went down the Mobhad Leigh and got stuck in Sekamina, the second layer of the Darklands. 25 point buy, level 4, no t1 classes, using most 3.p+DSP and other 3pp available at request. Would rather no occult or akashic classes because I'm not familiar with them yet.

I also run a mythic game for the last few years but iirc both of you hate that shit, and frankly at this point so do I.
>>
>>43916811
You know, I like the general anonymity of 4chan. but sometimes it can be real fucking annoying.
>>
>>43916679
I use 104 PB, just so that my players always feel wasteful for leaving 2 points unspent.
>>
File: 1443746388134.png (365 KB, 736x718) Image search: [Google]
1443746388134.png
365 KB, 736x718
>>43916939
You're inhuman.
>>
>>43916939
That's hilarious.
>>
>>43908964
>How long until your next game?
next saturday

Does anyone have a picture of a ghoran?
>>
Okay Gareth I love you, and I love what you do. But quest content doesn't really relate to this thread of us unless your story is going to adhere to the game mechanics for some reason. I mean /tg/ is particular because you could argue anything to be /tg/ by other discussing how game mechanics don't adhere to real life or discussing how to adapt something to a game system.
Of course banning discussion of firearms to /k/ would suck, especially since the majority of the people who don't care about pen and paper system wouldn't want discussions of games in their discussions of how to be tacticool. This gives us a great deal of variety. However, it also made us a "default" board for stories. Awesome story time threads that you might look forward to happening weekly? They were all declared to go here from now on.
So you see some stupid shit on other boards. RWBY, a western production, got a manga adaption. Huge shitfests on whether or not discussion should remain on /co/. Or getting pokemon kicked out of /v/ because /vp/ was created. Story quests have made /tg/ into a containment board of sorts for these things.
There were quests that I followed years ago scattered across the boards. They aren't inherently bad. But there are people who hate them being forced exclusively on this board, when the cultures of other boards were the reason some got popular to begin with. And quest threads aren't pfg material to discuss, not even really tangential related. A bunch of us will follow you there, and you can get feedback in those threads. Otherwise people will attack you, who has a tripcode, for every rule violation that normally gets ignored.
>>
>>43908964
Playing tomorrow night, DMing the night after.
>>
File: Sylvari_warrior.jpg (112 KB, 827x967) Image search: [Google]
Sylvari_warrior.jpg
112 KB, 827x967
>>43917025
Type "sylvari" into basically any image search and you get a shitload of usable images. They won't all fit Ghorans, but cribbing GW2's shit is probably the quickest way to get images of plant people.
>>
>>43917034
I appreciae the warning, anon. And I won't discuss the matter further. Not even "unless asked".

And thank you for the history lesson. I'm kinda missing that context a lot.
>>
>>43908964
Next Sunday so almost a week
>>
>>43917095
See >>43915895 it may help you.
>>
File: Ghoran.png (1 MB, 1061x1883) Image search: [Google]
Ghoran.png
1 MB, 1061x1883
>>43917025
Gotchu covered
>>
For Gareth, Elric, and any other Dreamscarred Press people present:

1. If the official stance on the Trickshot Soul trait is that it is acceptable as a trait because "a +1 trait bonus to all of your attack rolls is merely very good and not an auto-pick," then does that mean a trait that gives all initiators a +1 trait bonus to their own attack rolls would also be fine? Can we expect such a trait in the future?

2. Is there really no word on Collective Defenses at all? "The party must stay within line of sight" is not that great a weakness for a 4th-level peri-blooded tactician who grants the party a +6 insight bonus to AC for four rounds, seven times per day as a swift action, without expending any of the power points from their full manifesting progression.

3. We are not looking at 25,000 gp though. We are looking at several hundreds of thousands of gp, perhaps even the millions. A 12th-level shaper psion with an orange prism ioun stone and the Overchannel feat (just those two, nothing else) can repeatedly manifest 15-point Genesis day after day after day to create a fabulous wonderland (equivalent of regular Create Demiplane) of arbitrary size a level *before* a cleric or a wizard could create a less impressive and much more expensive imitation using Create Lesser Demiplane. If the answer to my previous inquiry regarding timing of ML buffs works a certain way, this psion need only be 11th-level with the Believer's Boon feat in the Psionics domain.

If the point of psionics is to provide a more balanced version of regular spellcasting, it is not doing a good job if a trick such as this is lingering around, and Dreamscarred Press's Genesis does not even have the excuse of "legacy material" that Psychic Reformation has.
>>
>>43917095
>>43916985
For Gareth and Elric, if you missed it, one of the games that guy from earlier was talking about is >>43916815
>>
>>43917172
Thanks, that plants a lot sexier than I thought it would be. Was truly imagining something along the lines of myconid but with less shroom head and more flower face
>>
>>43916679
>>43916701
I actually played a game with 77 point buy once, as well as that armor as DR rule and, most ridiculous of all, the presence of bolt action rifles (treated as simple weapons no less!). I made a necromancer and taught them that there is more to life than damage dealing.
>>
>>43917084
I'd tend to her garden, if you know what I mean. I think it would be a cute date to work on it together and then watch the flowers grow over the course of the months.

>>43917172
The belly on this one always reminds me of a watermelon viewed from the side.
>>
File: PF Ghoran 2.jpg (85 KB, 691x973) Image search: [Google]
PF Ghoran 2.jpg
85 KB, 691x973
>>43917246
Sexy plants you say?
>>
>>43917264
Maybe her plant type is a watermelon, they have the delicious trait after all
>>
>>43916679
25 PB, 3pp allowed, base races only.
>>
>>43917192

And another count on Trickshot Soul:

Why is it acceptable for the *psychic armory* to have access to a trait that grants a +1 trait bonus to all attack rolls, but unacceptable for a melee, base soulknife to have its own version that grants a +1 trait bonus to its own attack rolls?
>>
>>43917290
20 pt buy, DSP and SoP, bloodforge races.
>>
>>43912618
I really wanna play a Shroud Marksman sniper with some source of sneak attack, either gestalt or otherwise.

I just can't see myself in a game anytime soon that would allow that.
>>
File: 1447647475147.jpg (36 KB, 420x294) Image search: [Google]
1447647475147.jpg
36 KB, 420x294
>>43917192
>>43917313
Lemme make this short and sweet; we'll take things into consideration, but right now psionics is not in active errata, is not close to being in active errata, and is in fact a bit of a bitch to errata in our current position. Things are not stable right now. OA gutted our psionics sales, and guess what was funding all those passion projects people are excited about?

Right now, UltPsi content is what it is. We'll note it in the FAQ file and move on, but for the love of fucking Christ, stop repeating it over and over. Alright? We get it. You care about these subjects. We'll let you know when, and if, we get the chance to revisit them.

Coo'? Coo'. Good talk.
>>
I've been invited to join a game with a new DM who's never DM'ed anything before, that already has a barbarian, sorceror, bard, druid and rogue. I'd be the only one with any PF experience in the group, if I joined, though a couple others have played other versions.

What class would you guys pick to complement the group? I'm aware it's already a bit large.
>>
>>43917313
the +1 to attack rolls is secondary to the Trick Shot power, which is just plain hilarious in its ability to affect the narrative.
>>
>>43917429
Bard or Inquisitor. But those are usually my go to classes for 1st party anyway.
>>
>>43917449
Already a bard in the group. Inquisitor, then?
>>
>>43917394
>OA gutted sales

How? It's a shitty as fuck book filled with awful options and it isn't anywhere even close to Psionics. Don't you guys and Paizo have some sort of mutual non-fuckery agreement towards eachothers work or something?
>>
>>43917449
Didn't see there was already a bard. Go with inquisitor.

>>43917458
Yeah.
>>
>>43917429
>>43917449
Bard may or may not have overlap with other bard if it's low-level. Make sure to use a difference performance because you aren't limited to just having the effects of one performance.
>>
>>43917370
Aren't you supposed to go higher instead of lower?
>>
>>43913192
Incanter can do a good job of being blasty, as a full SOP caster with a buttload of talents and feats, and also has the option of picking your own damn mental stat to cast with.
>>
>>43917449
>>43917394
Might as well try one last time. Since you've expressed curiosity as to the game, can I get a solid answer as to whether or not you're interested in this game? >>43916815

>>43917476
Paizo has better publicity and they're not exactly great people if you haven't noticed.
>>
>>43917429
Big party there. Alchemist? You can bro it up in melee with the Barbarian or chill in back with the casters and throw bombs while the Barbarian and Rogue chug your spells.
>>
File: 1430441008297.jpg (89 KB, 640x462) Image search: [Google]
1430441008297.jpg
89 KB, 640x462
>>43917476
Nothing formal but we're polite, yes. But despite Paizo saying repeatedly that OA is not psionics, and going so far as to endorse our psionics in the convention in which they announced OA, that's not how people percieve it. We had a lot of people straight abandon ship for "Paizo psionics" despite protests /from Paizo/ that OA is not psionics. Additionally, OA hits a lot of the same flavor notes with better exposure, leading to people not buying psionics content because they feel the niche is already filled by the 1pp, in addition to the standard bias against 1pp, the assumption that Paizo "fixed" psionics when we "didn't", and all manner of other shit.

TL;DR doesn't matter, still happened.
>>
File: lumen_sage_by_rdanys-d84s1ce.jpg (188 KB, 850x1206) Image search: [Google]
lumen_sage_by_rdanys-d84s1ce.jpg
188 KB, 850x1206
>>43912618
I was working on a Lumen Sage sort of class for a little while, but I haven't had the motivation or inspiration to finish it beyond the fluff and initial mechanics.
>>
>>43917505
Well, yes, of course a company ran by degenerate mentally ill people aren't exactly great. That's what happens when you put people with literal mental problems in positions of power, ignore the issues associated with it, and then give them little gold stars for being so progressive and accomplishing so much for a trans person.
>>
File: 1443070825918.jpg (285 KB, 707x1000) Image search: [Google]
1443070825918.jpg
285 KB, 707x1000
>>43917540
Against 3pp not 1pp jesus I need coffee.
>>
>>43917485
I went lower on PB and higher on races. Because I value race options more than 5 points of PB.

>>43917505
I'm going to pass, although I appreciate the offer. I probably don't have the time for a game on top of Real Life stuff. Thank you though.
>>
>>43917394
Being this rustled, why?
>>
>>43917572
That's fair, I hope real life goes well for you and you're able to play something soon, even if it's not my game.
>>
>>43917570
if pf had a standard bias against 1pp we'd actually be ok :^)
>>
>>43917601
I've got my RL game, but every other week is the most I could fit it in. Life's not bad, just busy.
>>
File: Sanity.jpg (32 KB, 300x230) Image search: [Google]
Sanity.jpg
32 KB, 300x230
>>43917577
Combination of being at the mid-point between the caffeine and alcohol, not having eaten yet, generalized irritation, anger-by-association, thinking this was already handled, knowledge that Genesis was in fact legacy content (I remember this because unlike arcane Genesis, psionic Genesis in 3.5 was Astral in nature) and the fact that honestly, I work retail, I'm entering the holidays, my life has been hell.

...My tone still may have been out of line. I apologize.
>>
>>43917540
You know now I'm just going to go buy all the psiconics books.
>>
>>43917572
Yeah, but now It'd feel weird because I'd have to up the ante from there.
>>
>>43917631
Ah, that's good to hear.

>>43917641
While I'm at it, I don't suppose you'd be interested in an online game?
>>
How good is Spheres of Power for "all player characters are caster"?
>>
>>43917641
Go look at
>>43916815
then
>>
>>43917680
The one that I've been asking Elric about at the behest of a friend, that is. This one. >>43916815
>>
File: Bloodforge Cover Update.jpg (125 KB, 685x960) Image search: [Google]
Bloodforge Cover Update.jpg
125 KB, 685x960
>>43917697
>>43916815
While I appreciate the offer, almost none of the proper nouns here mean anything to me. And...honestly, I'm reluctant to 3.p, both because it runs counter to my as-little-effort-as-possible method of character building and because I need more practice in PF itself to familiarize myself further with the system.

>>43917680
Just might be. But, again, I can only really commit to PbP.
>>
Quick question to DSP: I was disappointed to see that Greater Unarmed Strike does not effectively give you monk unarmed damage, which hurts way more for a Large character, who's doing shortsword damage the earliest he gets it. Now, I may be wrong and misremembering monk damage, but does it unbalance Steelfist Commando or Aurora Soul if they just use the monk's damage progression?
>>
>>43917739
>as-little-effort-as-possible method of character building
What exactly is this method?
>>
>>43917739
All 3.p really means is that it's Pathfinder with the occasional bit of 3.5 content allowed when Paizo or you lot haven't ported it over yet.
>>
>>43917641
Nah, don't worry, keep well

Gotta be a better PR guy though
>>
>>43917739
That would be me you're quoting the last two out of three times, to clarify. It's a Skype game about surviving in some fairly unfriendly aberration-filled underground lands. I appreciate the answer, hope you find something that suits your needs. ...although I have to admit I'm not sure how you're going to practice PF while avoiding playing it.
>>
File: e244989eb0a1464aff15515c7b0105d5.jpg (644 KB, 1225x1000) Image search: [Google]
e244989eb0a1464aff15515c7b0105d5.jpg
644 KB, 1225x1000
>>43917394

I apologize for being insistent on psionics.I will admit that I am biased regarding it since I had purchased Ultimate Psionics when it was first released.

Would you prefer feedback on Path of War: Expanded, Steelforge, and Arcforge?

I heard rumors that Riven Hourglass and Shattered Mirror were slated for revision. Is this true? I consider them the two most powerful disciplines in Path of War: Expanded due to the sheer potency of their effects (e.g. Riven Hourglass has swift action attacks and auto-staggers at 1st-level alone, Shattered Mirror can add another Close target to any other strike with a 3rd-level boost). Has anyone else harbored a similar sentiment?

I am still a tad doubtful towards the higher-level progression of the 6th-level initiators. I understand that the design direction dictates that they not have higher-level maneuvers, but their progression at the higher levels is still somewhat barren. They are a bit of a wasteland.

Has Ssalarn given mechs another revision yet? There has been feedback that they are much too powerful at lower levels given hardness and flight, and the dread (eclipse) arbitrarily has to give up *far* less than the psychic warrior (reactor knight) and, to a lesser extent, the tactician (squad leader).

How *do* temporary manifester level boosts work for powers with a manifesting time of more than one standard action work?

>>43917502

Unless you truly put a great deal of work into optimizing an SoP blaster, such a blaster will still be mediocre *even by SoP standards* and fall behind the usual battlefield control by way of Alteration, Creation, Mind, Time, and similar spheres, unless you use Destruction less to blast and more to control with Crystal Blast and Force Blast and similar blast types anyway.

The Destruction sphere does not quite work as advertised ("You can summon pure energy to strike down foes") unless you were looking to literally knock down foes with Force Blast and keep them down with Crystal Blast.
>>
>>43917502
Sphere's blasting sucks dick, and honestly SoP seems like "great idea, really,really mediocre execution".
>>
>>43917778
Facerolling the keyboard on a class that has a high optimization floor, like the initiators.
>>
>>43917696
It makes it so that characters have a heavy amount of niche protection for one; a spellcaster that can conjure up fireballs and call lightning storms is very unlikely to also be any good at summoning monsters or raising the dead unless he actually invests in it.
>>
File: 1386767995556.jpg (74 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1386767995556.jpg
74 KB, 600x600
>>43917800

Meiling is cute! CUTE!
>>
>>43917778
>>43917881
This, pretty much. Get a concept, find a class that matches concept with high floor, pick options that sound cool for concept using high floor to protect me, move on with my life.
>>
>>43917842

I have plenty of feedback waiting for Adam Meyers when he begins to post again.

I could very well write a several-page essay and criticism about Spheres of Power's very chassis (the Low/Mid/High Caster divide is good in concept but *terrible* in execution, and so is spherecaster multiclassing), how entire spheres are either absurdly quadratic (e.g. Conjuration, Weather) or thematically incoherent grab-bags of effects that should not even be spheres to begin with (e.g. Dark, Enhancement, Fate, Light, War), how save-or-lose (e.g. Alteration with Aquan Transformation vs. Fortitude, Creation with encasements vs. Reflex, Mind with many of its effects vs. Will) is still the most efficient method of fighting, how staffs are considerably overpowered by the system's internal standards, how the Paizo sphere archetypes are a rushed job that should be revamped, how the item pricing system is completely useless.

I am sure others can share similar feedback with Mr. Meyers.

>>43917696

I consider Spheres of Power to be *far* less internally balanced than Dreamscarred's psionics and akasha.

There are simply far, far too many balance concerns within it, and that is before someone trots out spheres like Conjuration or heavily-invested Weather. Even lesser-known spheres like Alteration can be brought into play with unintended tricks (e.g. Aquan Transformation) to do things that tier 3s simply should not be able to do on a regular basis at low levels.
>>
>>43917394

Oh, Gareth.

Is the effects of the Crimson Countess version of the Harbringer Claiming subject to Damage Reduction? As it's damage is very low and going to get soaked completely by anything with level appropriate damage reduction.
>>
>>43917800
You've seen as much of Ssalarn as we have.

The PoW: E discs have had a lot more active review and editing than the PoW 1 discs did. Those two are commonly held to be among the strongest and have had the closest eyes.

Expand re: 6th-level initiators.

PP cap is determined when you start manifesting the power.
>>
File: Aisling.jpg (27 KB, 263x533) Image search: [Google]
Aisling.jpg
27 KB, 263x533
>>43918261
Nope. The damage is untyped; even if it wasn't, technically (Su) abilities never suffer from DR. Which is stupid but WELCOME TO PATHFINDER HOW MAY I HELP YOU?
>>
>>43918038

Most of the save-or-lose I have mentioned (e.g. Alteration Aquan Transformation vs. Fortitude, Creation encasings vs. Reflex, Mind vs. Will) requires spell points, but there are some that can be used at-will.

Take the Light sphere:
>As a standard action, you may cause an object or creature to glow for 1 minute per caster level, outlining it with light as a candle, which may be of any color you wish. This requires a touch attack or ranged touch attack. The object or creature becomes outlined with light, giving it a -20 penalty on Stealth checks and negating all bonuses usually bestowed by invisibility, blink effects, darkness, or similar effects.

Hardly unbalanced for a standard action that costs no SP. With another standard action, you can cause one of your glowing targets to shed bright light, lasting for as long as you concentrate, or, with a spell point, 1 minute per CL.

Some (light) talents augment this glow effect, effectively allowing you to spend a spell point to create a special kind of bright light. For example, Blinding Light lets you spend a spell point to create bright light that blinds everyone within a massive radius, simulating a Glitterdust-like effect.

However, there are outliers that do *not* demand a spell point to create bright light. For instance:
>Bound Light (light)
>You may create bright light that binds the glowing target inside a prison of light. The target is entangled and must pass a Fortitude save each round or be staggered for that round. In addition, the target must pass a magic skill check to use any form of dimensional travel, such as the Dimension Door spell or the teleport ability from the Warp sphere.

Thus, on top of the various save-or-lose options available to a spherecaster that cost spell points, a spherecaster can, at-will, hurl out ranged touch attacks that remove all Stealth and miss chances, automatically entangles, and forces a Fortitude save against staggering each round. For 1 minute per caster level.
>>
>>43918273
Really? Shattered Mirror?

I don't get it. I presumed it was 2hufag's autism that made him believe it to be OP, but aside from being able to smooth out the action economy by sharing buffs with an ally or two, what makes it powerful? I know it has a couple gems, but you need that craft glasswork to be able to polish them.
>>
>>43915483
>>43915725
>Ohio is Abbadon
>real life Ohio needed to be replaced with Abbadon so things could live there
>>
File: Kestrel.jpg (25 KB, 324x533) Image search: [Google]
Kestrel.jpg
25 KB, 324x533
>>43918325
It's not that it's OP, precisely. Most of Mirror is in a great spot and at this point fixes are little matters of wording or missed exploits (like Reflected Blade Style working on full-attack strikes, which...it...needs to not), but the thing about Mirror is that it scales to the optimization level of the campaign, and it scales /all the way to TO-complete/ if used properly and provided opportunity.

This is, in my opinion, an interesting thing and I'm intending on preserving it. But it does make the balance a bit of a bitch.
>>
File: aca4e255df7c588f3e52ce7c6f35a379.jpg (389 KB, 1354x1436) Image search: [Google]
aca4e255df7c588f3e52ce7c6f35a379.jpg
389 KB, 1354x1436
>>43918319

Perhaps debuffing is not your style though. Perhaps you would like to destroy enemies as a gish instead.

Aside from the obvious option of using Alteration to gain things light multiple arms, flight, and pounce (all of which will, sadly, cost spell points each time, unless you are a sphere druid whose Alterations on yourself last for 1 hour per caster level), the Light sphere can also accommodate you.

>Encompassing Light (light)
>You may create bright light that encompasses the glowing creature, allowing it to function as if it were larger than it is. The glowing creature deals damage and gains reach as if it were 1 size category larger than it is. This improves to 2 size categories at 10th caster level, and 3 size categories at 20th caster level.

Yes, for the low, low price of 0 spell points, you can cause your entire party to be treated one to three extra size categories larger for the purposes of damage and reach. (Your Zweihander Sentinel will appreciate this.) Remember that you can have as many glows active as you would like, and that they cost no spell points.

Bound Light and Encompassing Light are on the *exact same page* as this talent that costs 1 spell point, and remember that only one light talent can be applied to a glow at a time:
>Beacon of Hope (light)
>When you place a glow effect on a creature, you may choose to grant that creature a +1 morale bonus on saves against fear. This bonus increases by 1 for every 5 caster levels possessed.
>You may spend a spell point to create bright light that empowers those within it. All creatures within the area of bright light gain a +1 morale bonus on saves against fear, +1 per 5 caster levels.

Spheres of Power cannot maintain its internal balance even within a single page.

And that is a shame, because I sincerely do like Spheres of Power as a book and wish it could succeed.
>>
>>43918393
I just wish it was more ranged-attack friendly. I know ranged attacks are already really potent but it's disappointing to be really interested in the fluff and design of the discipline as a Gunsmoke Mystic and then look into maybe even diving into the Tradition and then looking at the actual strikes and just not having good options
>>
>>43917800
Well, "better war mage" isn't exactly limited to just blowing things up, and I'll agree that the destruction sphere lacks some luster.

However, using it in addition to time, death, etc. can lead to a very effective "kill the things" caster.
>>
Has anyone noticed that the outsider type has increasing drifted in usage from what its name implies? An outsider is supposedly a creature from another plane of existence, but we see it now being used for "native outsiders" like planetouched, prana ghosts, kami, wakandagi and so forth.

Is it time for a rename?
>>
>>43918661
Yeah, but the thing is when people say warmage they mean "guy who makes thing go boom real gud" They want nice flash elemental attacks. They want to burn their foes to crisp with fire and lightning , freeze them solid with ice, to pelt them with a myriad of stones, or dissolve their flesh with massive ball of acid.

Fuck that pussy ass, "save or die" nonsense.
>>
File: 1448603099322.png (78 KB, 502x329) Image search: [Google]
1448603099322.png
78 KB, 502x329
>>43917654
I...am honestly not sure what to say. Like. I caught this post when you made it, and I've been trying to reply to it, because somehow 'I cannot express my gratitude enough' sounds hollow. So. Thanks, anon. Like I said, things have been rough, and some of that responsibility's mine to shoulder.

>>43917746
No idea, though gut check says 'they don't need it, maneuvers deal quite a bit of damage'. That said I'll kick this at the team real quick.

>>43917790
I do run a PF game, once a week if I can, but it's expensive to get to for me so a lot of times I gotta skip.

>>43918551
Sadly this is one of the weaknesses I built into it, along with Cursed Razor.
>>
>>43918687
The name Outsider works fine, it implies something wholly different and alien to us.

Outsiders have no seperation between soul and body, they have never been creatures of "extraplanar" origin. Lots of non-Outsiders have always existed on other planes, like elemental versions of animals, various magical beasts, dragons and other things that AREN'T Outsiders in fact make up the majority of life in the outer planes.

Though we don't necessarily summon them (we get planar energy and shit) Celestial animals are more common in heaven than good outsiders.
>>
>>43918687
Because anything exceptional or beyond the mundane must OBVIOUSLY be from another dimension or magical.

This is my biggest fucking problem with 90% of D&D monsters to be honest.
>>
>>43918847
The thing with native outsiders, though is that they do have the normal separation between soul and body, hence you can still use Raise Dead on your tiefling party member. Which rather blurs distinction of what outsiders are supposed to be.
>>
>>43918273
>Expand re: 6th-level initiators.

A 7th-level half-initiator finally receives 3rd-level maneuvers. The character has 7 manuevers known, 4 maneuvers readied, and 2 stances.
A 13th-level half-initiator finally receives 6th-level maneuvers. The character has 10 manuevers known, 5 maneuvers readied, and 3 stances.
Therefore, in the stretch from 7th level to 13th level, such a half-initiator gains +3 maneuvers known, +1 maneuver readied, +1 stance, and, most importantly, +3 levels of maneuvers.

This is reasonable compared to a warder, the Path of War 1 class with the least maneuvers:
A 7th-level warder finally receives 4th-level maneuvers. The character has 9 maneuvers known, 5 maneuvers readied, and 3 stances.
A 13th-level warder finally receives 7th-level maneuvers. The character has 12 maneuvers known, 7 maneuvers readied, and 5 stances.
Thus, in that stretch from 7th level to 13th level, the warder acquires +3 maneuvers known (same as the half-initiator), +2 maneuvers readied, +2 stances, and once again most importantly, +3 levels of maneuvers (same as the half-initiator).

~~~

Now, let us see what a 17th-level half-initiator has: 12 maneuvers known, 6 maneuvers readied, 4 stances, and 6th-level maneuvers.
From 13th level to 17th level, the half-initiator has gained +2 maneuvers known, +1 maneuver readied, +1 stance, and, damningly, +0 levels of maneuvers.

What about the warder? A 17th-level warder has 14 maneuvers known, 9 maneuvers readied, 6 stances, and 9th-level maneuvers.
This means that the warder has gained +2 maneuvers known (same as the half-initiator here), +2 maneuvers readied, +1 stance (also the same as the half-initiator)... and, most crucially, +2 levels of maneuvers.

~~~

The progression from 7th to 13th level is comparable between half-initiators and warders, so why does a half-initiator's progression suddenly become much worse in comparison in the stretch from 13th to 17th level?

You have addressed Mirror; what of Riven Hourglass?
>>
Why are power points so much better than vancian casting.
>>
>>43918823
Psyarm war soul with EF it is.
>>
>>43918984
It's sensible, intuitive and you don't have to deal with
>Man, I don't have enough energy to cast magical missile. I better resort to Meteor Swarm.
>>
>>43917800
>>43918968

I finally have something to say and be useful about here. Yay.

>Riven Hourglass
Riven Hourglass has recieved nerfs between the version in the Mystic PDF and the version that will be in the final release of Path of War Expanded. Among other things, its saveless effects got saves, some of its general damage is reduced, and some of its other things have been tweaked. Minute Hand has been nerfed a bit.

>Shattered Mirror
Has recieved some tweaks and a couple nerfs. That boost specifically has been nerfed to not allow copying full attack maneuvers, and a couple other maneuvers have been altered a bit. We think it's in a good place.

We've gotten a lot of feedback from the playtests on multiple forums, and while the documents in those threads are no longer living documents updated as we go, you can rest assured that /every/ discipline in Path of War Expanded has gone through final edits and tweaks to brought where we want them to be.

>Higher-level progression of 6th-level initiators
The current progression has been slightly altered to be nicer for stances (giving them at the levels stances show up until 6th level maneuvers, and upping their number of stances by one to allow for it). They are getting slightly more maneuvers at higher levels to help lessen the emptiness of later levels. PrCing out is always an option, but we want it to be an option because the initiator wants the PrC, not because the class stopped supporting their concept.

>Ssalarn
He's been busy; that's all I can say without infringing on his privacy He is aware of the feedback that's been given, though.

>Manifester level
When you start manifesting, as >>43918273 noted.
>>
>>43918984
Because Vancian casting has only ever made sense for wizards and a few interpretations of cleric. Everything else makes more sense as a stamina system.
>>
>>43918319
Bound Light got errata'd into requiring a Spell Point for use, so that's not quite accurate to call it at-will.
>>
>>43918315

>Which is stupid but WELCOME TO PATHFINDER HOW MAY I HELP YOU?

I laughed way, way too hard at that. Thank you.
>>
File: 1373260688117.png (739 KB, 1750x1450) Image search: [Google]
1373260688117.png
739 KB, 1750x1450
>>43918838
Gareth, what's your opinion on the Piercing Thunder Issue? That is, that too many of its maneuvers are either weak, are just straight "the same maneuver but improved by 3 higher levels", or redundant with each other or various options; the biggest example being how the Style Feat, the Martial Tradition, feat, AND a level 1 stance all do the same basic effect of "one-hand a spear or polearm" with very little permutation between them.
>>
>>43919117
It may have issues, but I will love Piercing Thunder forever, because I have long wanted to play some sort of spearfighter and reach weapons are just not all they're cracked up to be with normal classes.
>>
>>43918838
Yeah, it's just troubling that it hangs out in the Gunsmoke's discipline list when they don't have the proper tools to use it

For what it's worth the Tradition is real cool, both me and one of my players are really intrigued by the possibilities of the Knight, especially in the context of the Pathfinder-in-Space game I've been planning.
>>
>>43919022

This is reassuring to know about Riven Hourglass, Shattered Mirror, and 6th-level initiators.

What about Path of War: Expanded is *not* set in stone and *could* use feedback, then?

>>43919038

That is interesting to know. Retract my complaint regarding Bound Light, then.

My complaint regarding Encompassing Light (on the same page as Bound Light) still stands, since that is a size increase with none of the drawbacks for the entire party, at-will. If Adam Meyers is still viewing these threads, I hope he can see it.
>>
>>43919117
I actually like that there's several options to get that basic effect, each with their own unique stuff. I see piercing thunder as the discipline you go to when you want to be an awesome, reliable spear guy. There's multiple ways to do your thing, giving you versatility in that one focus (if you go for the feat, you have better stance access. If you use the stance, other style feats. Etc).
>>
>>43919143
Oh no doubt about it, I love the idea behind the discipline too. It's just that, I could use Scarlet Throne with Discipline Adapation (Polearm or Spear) and be equal, if not outright better, with the idea of "lance and stab through my foes". I feel like Piercing Thunder needs to have more support for mounted characters, for spear-throwers, and for Final Fantasy-style dragoons.
>>
Does an Oni-Spawns Surperior Clutch trait also eliminate the disadvantages of a larger sized weapon?
>>
File: diarmuid.jpg (97 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
diarmuid.jpg
97 KB, 1280x720
>>43919199
I just want an initiating Daevic

Because dear god a Dominion Daevic with Piercing Thunder is the Lancer I've always wanted
>>
>>43919213
Unless it says that it eliminates the penalty, no.

And looking at the trait, it does not mention it.
>>
>>43919213
No, it just rewards them for using a sub-optimal option. If they choose or get lucky enough to replace their Alter Self SLA with the option to wield Large-scale weapons at no penalty, however, it is a great ability to have.
>>
>>43919175

Wonder if it would break Gunsmoke if they could use melee-only strikes at Point Blank Range (Aka 5ft)
>>
>>43919235
can someone give me a quick rundown of the akashic/daevic stuff going on of late?

what's their general shtick/mechanics?

i saw that you can get huge size increases from somethign or other added by them, but that's it.
>>
>>43919199

Scarlet Throne already HAS Spears as a form weapon.
>>
>>43919117
Piercing Thunder Style [Combat, Style]
You can use the natural reach of a spear or polearm with greater effectiveness.
Prerequisites: 1 or more Piercing Thunder stances, Acrobatics 3 ranks.
Benefit: While this style is active and you are wielding a weapon with the reach property, enemies provoke attacks of opportunity for moving into your threatened area. If an enemy would also provoke an attack of opportunity for moving out of your threatened area (such as an increased threatened area from being large size), they still only provoke one attack of opportunity from you.

What was that about the style feat again?

Allegiance Benefit: In addition to access to the Piercing Thunder discipline (exchanging a discipline of their choice), Reverents of the Lance threaten adjacent creatures while using a weapon from the spear or polearm weapon groups that has reach. Furthermore, they are always aware of the exact position of any outsiders with the chaotic and/or evil subtypes within 60 ft. of themselves and may not be surprised by such beings (such outsiders still benefit from concealment, if they have it).

And the Martial Tradition?
>>
>>43918687
You post this shit in like every single thread.
Just house rule it in your nonexistant group.
>>
I'm not really understanding how the Mystic's recovery works.

Can someone please explain it?
>>
>>43919289
Basically Akashics get a laundry list of pseudo-magic-items called 'Veils', which fit into special slots similar to magic item slots (head, belt, etc). Their basic effects are decent if not exceptional, but they all get nice big buffs if you devote Essence (a pool they get sort of like spell points or power points but much smaller) to them, and you can shift around where your Essence is spent over the course of the day. So they're really flexible classes. As you level up, you also open up different Bind slots - each Veil usually fits into a couple of different slots, and Bind effects are unique effects that you ONLY get if it's in that slot and you're high enough level. So, you might have one Veil that has a Belt and Head option, and another that can be Belt or Boots, and each of those will have a bonus effect in the Belt slot once you unlock the Belt chakra.
>>
>>43912618
>class idea you have that you want to play

A geomancer class whose entire shtick is modifying the battlefield into a playground for the party and a deathtrap for his enemies.

Incidentally, I'd also hope for a gunslinger+alchemist hybrid that use INT and DEX as his primary stats and can deliver healing potions, poisons, bombs, and infusions through a special alche-gun that can be upgraded with special attachments by level
>>
File: 22fde8024598d8172bda80f84ef982a7.jpg (619 KB, 2480x3508) Image search: [Google]
22fde8024598d8172bda80f84ef982a7.jpg
619 KB, 2480x3508
>>43919235

I am not too great a fan of the daevic because it simply does not receive enough flexibility with its veils to be on the same level as the guru and the vizier (I actually *do* agree with the small handful who write /pfg/'s tier list about its tier 4 placement), and because each daevic's passion shoehorns it into a combat role too much: a Desire daevic is strongly pushed into being a thrower, a Dominion daevic a shield-basher, a Wrath daevic a bull rusher, and so on. Yes, such combat styles can be ignored, but that would be willfully sacrificing what the class gains free benefits for.

I would have preferred it if the daevic combat styles were divorced from the passions, so that one could have, for instance, a Desire daevic shield-user, two-hander, or two-weapon fighter who is actually vindicated in their choices. The three passions (and their subpassions) would still be distinct with their extra class skills, passion veils, and other bonuses.

>>43919372

>A geomancer class whose entire shtick is modifying the battlefield into a playground for the party and a deathtrap for his enemies.

That would be a standard arcane full caster who casts spells like Grease, Glitterdust, and Create Pit.
>>
>>43919342
You pick two maneuvers at the start of the fight

Every time you would get an extra readied maneuver (either because you have more than 2 readied maneuvers at the start of a fight, or at the end of every turn) you randomly get one of your remaining known maneuvers granted.
>>
>>43919365
are the veils exclusive to a slot (as in if you put on a belt one, can you not put on any other belt ones?)
>>
>>43919342
you ready a set of maneuvers, and choose two you have set up for use.

At the (I can't remember which,can't check right now) start or end of your turn, you roll a die equal to the number of maneuvers you have left readied, but don't have access to. That maneuver becomes available.

If you try to make a new maneuver available and there aren't any left to be made available, reset. you get to choose a different two maneuvers available and you go back to the start of things. rinse and repeat.
>>
>>43918319
By RAW, those bright light effects are just fluff and do not create the same bright light effect as mentioned within the glow rules, those have to be activated individually and have the points spent as normal according to the glow rules. You fucking autist language nazi.

>>43918538
You seemed to have missed how Alteration works, its mostly tooled around giving those goodies to other people, unless you go with the Lycanthropic drawback, and basically turning your allies into hulking monstrosities, but you do get free traits based on CL. Also, despite your grievances about the separation of CL progression and Spell pool (which we have explained to you about three months ago was a stupid complaint and that you're a faggot) works in favor of the low Casters since you can still apply thier extended alterations so themselves as often as the full casters. And honestly what low Caster isn't going to grab Lycanthropic?

I'm not saying Spheres doesn't have balancing issues, afterall, Incanter exists, however a lot of your complaints that you make I've noticed are based on misunderstanding rules as written, or just ignoring parts, like how according to RAW you cannot actually double-dip a single Sphere Specialization, and the fact that the main thing that hamstrings weather for the early levels isnthe fact that you have no protection from your own weather affects, so your boiling rain is going to turn your squishy ass to soup easily if you don't hold back, plus's moving a single weather condition up one effect innone catagory is a standard to full round action, so chances are once someone sees your nerd ass waving hands and making mist they will try to geek the mage.

The separation of High/Mid/Low Casters are fine, though I suggest a few of them have thier talent distribution fixed, and Counterspelling is now easier than ever, plus the idea of being able to multiclass your CL helps with many character concepts that were previously hamstringed by the Vancian system
>>
>>43919291
Hey Elric, I really hate to be That Guy because I know you guys are actually busy. But did you get an answer on the Marksman having two class features granting competence bonuses to ranged attack rolls?
>>
>>43919342

Ok. Take all your manuvers and write them on cards.

Put two of them down face up, then shuffle the deck.

Every turn, draw a new card. That's the maneuver you have access to.

When you run out of cards to draw, put 2 cards face up and shuffle all the other cards back into the deck. Time to start over.
>>
>>43919342
Think of it this way--the mystic has some amount of maneuvers readied. That's their "deck." At any given time out of combat, they have two cards from the deck set aside for use at any time. At the start of an encounter, they draw a "hand" from the deck of those two cards and their other immediately granted maneuvers, then at the end of each of their turns, they draw another card.

When you run out of cards in your deck, you shuffle your hand and discard pile together and draw new cards.
>>
Path of War question: A gunsmoke mystic treats firearms as associated weapons for all of its disciplines. Does that include disciplines that it accesses through unorthodox style or martial traditions?
>>
>>43919289
Let me link you some guides.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?377818-PsyBomb-s-Guides-to-the-Akashic-Mysteries!

Akasha uses veils, which are persistent effects that get stronger the more Essence (a special resource you get) you invest in them. Each veil has two discrete effects. A Shape, which you always have, and a bind, which you can only have a limited number of. Their effects last all day and get stronger the more Essence goes into them.

>>43919342
At the start of combat, the Mystic gets X (depending on level) random maneuvers from it's readied maneuvers. You pick two of those maneuvers, the rest are chosen randomly. Every turn, at the end of your turn, one of the maneuvers you DIDN'T get is given to you (randomly determined). Once you no longer have any more maneuvers to be returned to you, you start the cycle over again, getting X random maneuvers (pick two, they don't have to be the same as last time).

Savvy?
>>
>>43919409
Generally speaking, yeah. There are a couple ways to get the ability to double-bind to a single slot, but no more than two (and each slot tends to have four or so Veils to choose from)

You also only know so many Veils (you gain new ones known per level)

Late game Akashics get pretty wild, just because you've got a nice wide variety of effects and you can retool if your current build isn't working for the challenge in front of you.
>>
File: maxresdefault (4).jpg (108 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (4).jpg
108 KB, 1920x1080
>>43919424
I will admit the Sphere Archetypes for the Paizo classes were retarded and cheap, but that's why I've been homebrewing myself some replacements personally.

tldr, your a faggot, you've been a huge faggot for months now, and you need to learn to stop drinking cum on a daily basis and get yourself some counseling for what seems to be a very real and legitimate case of aspergers you have.

Also I think the reason Adam hasn't come back is because your pedantic, overbearing, and accusatory way of typing and communication might have driven him off, especially since people tend to have thier eyes glaze over in response to your monster walls of text.

Faggot.
>>
>>43919440
As-written, they both gain non-stacking competence bonuses. Having talked to one of the writers, it's possible that one of them was meant to be a circumstance bonus, but we need to get up with the other writer to get the full RAI. We'll get back to you on that.
>>
>>43919446
Yep, asked this before. Trait/Tradition swaps are considered 'class disciplines', so if you swap for a disc, you get to count Firearms as a weapon for that disc. Only exception is the Combat Training feats since those aren't associated with your class.
>>
>>43919342
y'ever see homestuck? basically vriska's power: your power are determined by chance and thumbing the scales a bit (you get a few that you always have ready, but the rest are granted randomly on a turn-by-turn basis).

for example: say you know maneuvers A, B, C, D, and E. at the start of the day, you can select to have A and B always on-tap if shit gets dangerous, but C, D, and E are granted randomly, one at a time each turn (and refresh automatically when all your options are rolled through). it's really interesting.
>>
>>43919478
Thank you!
>>
>>43919443
>>43919451
>>43919441
So it's like the ToB Crusader.
Cool.
>>
>>43919440
No problem. Yes, we got an answer. Wind reader probably supposed to be a circumstance bonus, but don't expect errata any time soon. RAW they just don't stack, and you ought to go on the RAW until you hear us say otherwise.

>>43919446
It counts for ALL disciplines, no matter what those disciplines you have are.
>>
>>43919521
Understood, thank you for taking the time to check.
>>
>>43919400
>That would be a standard arcane full caster
How about something that can borrow some class features from the Druid like 'plant speech' and ranger's favored terrain?
That and maybe medium BAB.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 73

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.