[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weekend Quest Discussion Thread:Remembering the Subject edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: 1447475531453.png (22 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1447475531453.png
22 KB, 700x700
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QMs.

Please do not shitpost, and please report any shit posters attempting to derail discussion or cause strife. In addition, try to keep tripfag drama to a minimum. This includes subjects such as 'make a board for quests'.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/pV7sdNnv
This link contains numerous writing guides, as well as the addresses of quest related IRC channels.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QMs. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you aren't on the list, post your twitter here and someone will make sure it gets added eventually.

>QM Question:
What inspiration did you use for your Quest?

>Player Question:
What finished or abandoned Quest deserves to be remade?
>>
>>43765875
>What inspiration did you use for your Quest?
The works of Alfred Jarry.

>What finished or abandoned Quest deserves to be remade?

Tile Quest
>>
File: nothitler.png (28 KB, 205x222) Image search: [Google]
nothitler.png
28 KB, 205x222
>>43765875
>What abandoned Quest deserves to be remade?
Republic Commando.
>>
>>43765978
he'll be back, anon. No need to cry. Whiskey can't leave us like this
>>
>>43766014
Not crying. Laughing.

And he totally left. Deleted his twitter and everything. It was obvious he had hardly any emotional fortitude from the other times he disappeared and his depression.
>>
>>43765875

I've answered this question a few times already.

>remade

Can we pick a running quest or is that too much bully? Because I sometimes wish for a do-over on certain quests...
>>
>>43766294
>is that too much bully?
Meh go for it. If you have honest, insightful criticism there is nothing wrong with saying it. Just don't let it be shitflinging ya know?
>>
>>43765875
>>QM Question:
In planning stages at the moment, but Earthsea, the Dutch East India company and Black Lagoon.
>>Player Question:
Predquest, Vampire Doll, the first Dragon quest, the list goes on and on
>>
>>43766318

I would give names but thinking on it, I don't have the insight to clarify my feelings in specific cases.

I think a lot of quests lose their sense of adventure after a while, once the players become more comfortable with the setting and rules and start making safe choices.

This results in a lot of gambles being passed on and potentially interesting storylines.

It's not so much a QM problem as a playerbase problem. Maybe the QM can be faulted for giving the players enough information to metagame.

Some quests I've seen have done this and recovered, usually through the implementation of some kind of plot upheaval.

It's a hard balance, since you want the MC to be a rational actor usually but you also want to keep things engaging without resorting to deux ex machina or otherwise hidden machinations.

I use a lot of hidden machinations myself and I try to keep them logical so the players can retrace cause and effect but I worry it feels like asspull and railroading.

Er, to sum that all up, I'd like to replay certain quests to explore options that were deemed too risky at the time.
>>
God damn it's nice to have some new, solid quest popping up again. Lost Island Quest in particular looks neat. Magical Boy Quest wasn't terrible either.
>>
>>43766569
>Magical Boy Quest
msq reboot when?
>>
Daily reminder that the only people capable of running quests right now are dirty Eurotrash, college freshmen, college dropouts, the mentally ill, and/or the unemployable/odd shifters. As a result you get things like whiskey showing up around now.

Also, its unfortunate but I have been working up the idea of taking whiskeys idea with republic commando quest and upping the grim dark and suffering by an exponential amount, and the more equipped and skilled you start out, the greater your suffering will be. Sure you can be an AT-TE operator, but you'll have to deal with those droid bombers and AT. You can be a scout but you have to watch civilians get massacred while you choose between fighting a whole droid battalion with one comrade nearby or waiting for reinforcements, which might take hours or days.

Basically, you get to be a hero, or you get to live, (or you get to be a clever and lucky bastard but thats besides the point). So pick one.

Of course, if you somehow manage option three I'll allow it, as much as I want to make you all go through feels over getting killed or getting comrades/innocents killed, I also want to see you all outsmart me repeatedly. I guess thats part of that twisted Xcom logic of mine.
>>
>>43766783
>Daily reminder that the only people capable of running quests...

Actually one of my favorite QMs has a stable job and runs on a regular schedule. So no, its not a rule.
>>
>>43766831
Huh, normally thats the reason this time of year is a bit dead, as all the great QMs are busy with school, hell I should be busier with school if I wasn't a terrible student.
>>
>>43766885
in 'straya we've just finished, so im hoping to get a regular audience while 'murricans are being studious and my work can't be compared to anything better
>>
>>43766905

Oh right, I need to stop lumping the Aussies in with the eurotrash, you guys are cool.
>>
Looking for general opinion: do the votes in the suptg archive mean much? Whether as a player looking for a good quest or a QM for delicious ego.

>>43765875

Would it be predictable to say Void Quest?
A Yume Nikki Quest continuation, then.

Perhaps idea rather than inspiration, but generic demon-lord-threatens-world plots, except you play a random mob.
>>
>>43766919
>you guys are cool.
you poor deluded fool. All that retarded bogan acting on the web? Thats not acting. We're like if Americans all acted like Rambo's pet eagle, or if all french wore horizontal-striped jumpers, moustaces and a wine glass everywhere. Brits get a free pass, because most of them do have awful teeth, a fetish for tea and great accents
>>
>>43766952
>Looking for general opinion: do the votes in the suptg archive mean much? Whether as a player looking for a good quest or a QM for delicious ego.

I dunno. As a player I do check out things that are gold to see if they are any good (doesn't mean they are though) so it certainly helps catch attention. On the other hand some of my favorite quests don't get up to even green sometimes, but its not really an indicator of quality. It just means the playerbase of that quest doesn't really care about upvoting on suptg.

So I guess to answer your question, votes can capture attention of new players but don't really mean much beyond that.
>>
>>43767027
Downvotes usually have meaning but I've only seen those used for the shittiest of quests, and the occasional irrelevant bullshit.
>>
>>43767212
Usually, its either something that should not have been archived, an awful quest with three replies, or some butthurt anon doing a vaelys and botspamming the downvote because the players voted against their waifu
>>
>>43767212
Downvotes can come from alot of things.

>Overall just poor quest threads
>Shitstorm which could stem from a variety of factors.
>One or two really salty anons that have proxies and a mission
>etc

Its hard to judge at a glance whats the cause of it.
>>
>>43766494
So you're saying Joker Quest is doing it right, because up to now, people are still guessing what the fuck the mechanics are, and are constantly gambling and making unsafe choices?
>>
>>43767282
>>43767265
>>43767212
Quests with lots and lots of downvotes are either astoundingly shitty or are suffering from quest drama. Quests with lots and lots of upvotes are either really good or have a cult following of devoted vote spammers.

If you find a quest with a moderately large and consistent vote count, chances are that it is a relatively stable quest with little to no shitstorms or drama, but that is not guaranteed.

In short, they are almost meaningless, but can sometimes be used to get a quick and rough estimate of what you are in for if you know a little bit about the quest already. Use them as a tool, but don't rely on them.
>>
>>43766783
>dirty Eurotrash, college freshmen, college dropouts, the mentally ill, and/or the unemployable/odd shifters
Hey! I'm a college senior, technically. In one of my degrees at least.
>>
>>43767307

Maybe, I guess I'll have to read Joker Quest and make that call desu.
>>
>>43766831
I know GraveQM has a full time job and manages to run twice a week at least.
>>
>>43767378
And he's apparently an Arizonan
>>
>>43767378
All while surviving the deadly haboobs of Southern Arizona and still running simultaneously.
>>
>>43767453
haboobs is still one of the funnest words for a horrifying event
>>
>>43767453
>All while surviving the deadly haboobs of Southern Arizona

Stop being so racist. The proper term is "Muslim".
>>
>>43767503
You do know what a haboob is right? Massive kilometer high dust storms

Stop being so racist yourself
>>
File: thinker-close.jpg (166 KB, 775x620) Image search: [Google]
thinker-close.jpg
166 KB, 775x620
>>43767503
>>43767527
>was it sarcasm
>>
File: 1389586897150.jpg (26 KB, 433x380) Image search: [Google]
1389586897150.jpg
26 KB, 433x380
>>43767503
There are muslims in Arizona?
>>
>>43765875

I've got two choices:

>Gunpowder Quest

Because I love the premise

>Bloodquest

But set in the DCU.
>>
Measuring interest, I want to, at some point, run a Game of Thrones quest, where rather than playing some shitty random house, you play as the surviving descendant of House Reyne, on a quest to take back Castamere from the Lannisters. Does this sound fun?
>>
>>43766783
Now is truly the time for Aussies to shine.
>>
>>43767936
>Game of Thrones
No.
>>
>>43767307

It's more that Joker Quest keeps introducing new elements. First, it was guns. Then there was magic ('Codebursts'). After that, there were nonhuman monsters. Later, there were space waifus that gave you a powerup in return for eternal service. And after THAT there were mutations and a corruption mechanic.
>>
>>43768097
The corruption mechanic turned up during the space waifu portion, shortly before we got the golden pimp hand. Then it disappeared only to turn up later, but you know, I'm just adding small details.
>>
I keep wondering if tg would be interested in a stormtrooper quest. I know it was having one but i don't know what happend with the QM.
>>
>>43768259
>stormtrooper quest
Stormtrooper is such an incredibly broad term that it could be referring to almost any setting. What variety of Stormtrooper do you mean?
>>
>>43768409
I'm sorry i meant to say stormtroopers from the Star Wars universe. Make something like a conscript that is starting in the imperial academy for stormtroopers in Carida.
>>
>>43768430
well, whiskey just had his third? tantrum and deleted his twitter, but im sure he'll be back eventually. That said, Republican Commando was apparently well-loved, so theres definitely interest
>>
>>43768445
Well guess i will work on it then.
>>
>>43765875
>QM
Old story ideas I had but never got around to writing and lots of old notes for campaigns I either never ran or that fell through before becoming anything. The current result is a sort of mish-mash between a bunch of the above, with lots of editing. Some of the setting's mythology is based on actual mythology as well, like the setting's creator gods which are based on an old Native American myth.

Basically, it's inspired by an unholy fusion between a bunch of different stuff, yet somehow it actually turned into something I think is pretty good.
>>
we need to find away to get Myrm another ban. He's shitting up a storm again now that's he's back from his shitpost-storm in the last HQQ
>>
>>43768877
Myrm is that one faggot shitposter, right? what's he latched onto now?
>>
>>43768968
>faggot shitposter
you're going to have be more specific.
>>
>>43768968
myrmidon civ Op
Discord666
uguumon
dadaragon

the list goes on.

>>43764370
They created a civ thread general in an attempt to push their abstract nonsense as some GRAND SOLUTION to the "faggotry that DnD and Tolkien has used to make fantasy dull and boring!"

Just read the thread, it's really cringeworthy how they just reply to arguements with calling people faggots and telling them to go to /b/
>>
How do you enforce the method of adventuring where the players are always poor as shit at the start of an episode or ark, and must work from there?
The bebop method, or whatever.
>>
>>43769086
When they make a big score, the crew spend it all on booze and whores in the finest establishments they can find. Then they wake up a week later with a massive hangover and not a dime to spare. That's the barbarian way.
>>
the dadaragons guy?

Fuck he was strange
>>
>>43769022
uguumon was dadaragon. Also keep in mind Martian Triggerman, who's managed to be such a dumb cunt he got his entire country rangebanned.
>>
>>43769022
>No, what my chart lacks is an obvious connection to D&D tropes.
yep, same old dada faggot
>>
File: red.jpg (236 KB, 767x669) Image search: [Google]
red.jpg
236 KB, 767x669
>>43768124

JQOP just uploaded this image as the PC's look. It's pretty much what I expected.
>>
>>43769201
man, im almost glad i dropped at eldritch space waifu, given the pace it seems to be running at right now. Will the suffering ever end?
>>
>>43769086
Don't give them more money then they need or have timeskips between arcs during which those funds are used.

The question is, how are you going to keep things progressing nicely instead of growing stagnant if you decide to reset the progress after each arc?
There are only so many interesting things you can do with generic adventure hooks before you or your players just get bored of doing the same thing over and over again.
>>
>>43769216
You just learn to enjoy the suffering, I guess. Sort of like schadenfreude.
>>
So any thanksgiving/christmas-themed threads planned this year?
>>
>>43769338
>thanksgiving
not murrican
>christmas
if my planned thing gets players then yes, i have something thematically appropriate
>>
>>43767307
Well it certainly works wonders to keep me engaged, I'll tell you that.
>>
>>43769086
You don't because it's fucking awful and makes it seem like no progress is being made.

Instead, give them just enough money to buy some new shit.
So it's completely reasonable that they're poor, rather than
>Lol actually the guy was lying about giving you a ton of money, you're still broke baka
Or
>Lol you lose all the money at the end, without being able to spend it on shit. Get fucked.
>>
>>43769477
The money was all in worthless Confederate coins!
>>
We need some quest reviewers.
>>
So who the fuck is this SleepyAnon? Ive seen the name in quite a few quests and such. I thought namefagging was frowned on or something?
>>
>>43769675
It is, but most people are willing to tolerate/ignore it until they start acting like a faggot.
>>
>>43769675
Basically, as long as it isnt a tripcode or avatar and you arent being an obnoxious faggot, and act no different from a standard anon, you'll usually be ignored
>>
>>43769687
He has sperged the fuck out before. Im just surprised most anons tolerate the fuck as he posts stupid shit half the time usually with a retarded image.
>>
>>43769701
Well if you want to get rid of him just start using his name and making dumb posts the next time you see him.

Either he'll get a trip and people will start paying more attention to him, or he'll drop the name altogether.
>>
>>43769086

The Bebop crew stayed poor because they didn't get paid for half their jobs and when they did a lot of it was spent paying for damages incurred in the process.

There's an alternate theory that they're always poor because the Bebop is expensive to maintain and fuel, and that most bounty hunters stick to one area or use commercial travel instead of going from planet to planet looking for a payday.
>>
>>43769773
I always assumed that when they did have the money Ed, Faye and Spike blew it on random infomercial gizmos, gambling and alcohol respectively, with Jet spending the cash to keep the bebop running and keep his dysfunctional family together for a little longer.
>>
>>43769675
the general consensus is that drawfags get a lot more leeway.

At least, that's what I assumed.
>>
You know what I miss? Dead Kings Quest. That was the shit. Where the fuck is my Rose Golem.
>>
>>43768877
I was in that thread, but I'm pretty sure "not your personal army" applies here too.

Although discussing how and when he slips up bad enough to get banned is fair game.
>>
So this question might be more appropriate for the civ thread, but...well, they have their own thing going on.

How exactly do civ threads work, and how are they different from your average quest? Do they have their own set mechanics, or do QMs running a civ quest make up their own mechanics?
>>
>>43771228
>set mechanics
Nope, make your own up from anything, roll over, roll under, dice pool, d6, d10, d100, dwhatever. Quests do not have set guidelines either. Do your own thing. The Civ Thread pics are guidelines in the loosest sense that deal with common, widespread tropes and stereotypes, and you have no obligation to follow them. Also, the civ thread general is run by a known shitposter, but it has people who know what theyre doing in it so take your questions there. The most important thing is run something that both you and hopefully any players will find interesting and fun, since without something worth spending time on, you will have no players.
>>
File: XMN9RH9[1].jpg (158 KB, 1362x723) Image search: [Google]
XMN9RH9[1].jpg
158 KB, 1362x723
>>43769665

There were one or two before, but they came and went.

>>43769484
>>43769477

Or like pic related.

Guy wants to secede or become his own nation, so he pays the PCs with lots of money he printed himself.
>>
>>43769665
Alright. Here we go.
>Quest I Like
It's good.
>Quest You Like
It's bad.
>Quest That Is Popular
It's shit.
>>
>>43772446
B-but what if we like the same quest sempai?
>>
>>43771228
I think you'll be better served by looking at Civ-style Quests

Frost Giant
Miracle Quest
The ASOIAF ones

It's basically management style updates along with short arcs to keep things flavored.
>>
>>43772472
Don't be silly. My taste is the best and yours is obviously inferior. You can't appreciate all the patrician quests I participate in!
>>
>>43772446
Goo look for GBU anon's reviews on Akun. We need something like this, but from a person who reads a bit faster than a snail and has a bit more motivation than a sloth.
>>
>>43772511
Also someone who doesn't hang out with those fags at /vg/.
>>
>>43772502
Teach me your ways sempai. How do I get acquire a patrician taste like you have?
>>
>>43765875

House Harrock
>>
>>43768445
>Republican Commando
So they're fighting for Independence and the Confederacy?
>>
File: 1367092717571.jpg (92 KB, 628x555) Image search: [Google]
1367092717571.jpg
92 KB, 628x555
>>43766783
I work a full time job, go to the gym regularly, GM a weekly game, and am an Americunt. Get on my level scrub.
>>
>>43772757
It is dead and gone forever
>>
>Player question
Why do you like puns so much?
>>
When will an MC ever get raped in front of their loved ones?
>>
>>43773419
But why
>>
>>43773455
Because
>>
>>43773419
Happened in Tuffle Quest, she had to shit out octopus eggs for a week.
>>
File: 1447857860407.jpg (337 KB, 1150x950) Image search: [Google]
1447857860407.jpg
337 KB, 1150x950
>>43773490
>>
File: 1296945196638.png (20 KB, 247x187) Image search: [Google]
1296945196638.png
20 KB, 247x187
>>43773490
>>
>>43773490
I don't think that actually happened.
>>
>>43773490
archive link?
>>
>>43773954
We all try to do that. We all try.
>>
>>43773965
Sure, here ya go:
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Tuffle%20Quest
>>
>>43773965
He's telling lies.
>>
>>43773490
Is there anything more autistic than playing a dragon ball fanfic quest?
>>
>>43773980
I wish I was, I wish I could wish upon Shenron that I was.
>>
>>43774007
Playing a Infinite Stratos fixfic quest?
>>
>>43774007
Writing a dragon ball fanfic quest.
>>
>>43774023
so link to where it happened
>>
>>43774197
I can't be assed to find the ass rape, do it yourself.
>>
>>43774208
>Find my proof for me

So what you're saying is, you're full of shit
>>
>>43774220
Full of octopus eggs, maybe
>>
So how are people liking that Death among the stars quest? QM seems to be having fun with the space exploration and all the aliens and space-gods
>>
>>43774234
At least it's not eels
>>
>>43765875
I miss DXQ
>>
File: sith17.jpg (211 KB, 1024x1583) Image search: [Google]
sith17.jpg
211 KB, 1024x1583
>>43774826
Sith Apprentice Quest just began if any of my readers or potentially new readers are lurking in here, feel free to join in
>>
I have a huge list of inspirations that would be a dead give away for anyone who's read it, but if I were to say one source in particular; LISA. It's pretty grim, but it's not monotonous. You have to have some good times to know when the bad times hit, and vice versa, you know.
>>
>http://anonkun.com/stories/apartments/Xu6PJEs5ZPbAKnRh5
>QM made a quick smutty one-shots "quest"
>Anons voted for shapeshifting sex-godess slave
>made her into a tomboy
>Chose to go for a jog/spar instead of strip/sex
>QM goes maximum mad
This is hilarious.
>>
>>43774911
Is that the one with the gay sex in it?
>>
>>43774978
Nah that one was Sith Academy.

This is the one with threesomes.
>>
File: lick2.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
lick2.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>43774978
Not yet but who knows what the future holds
>>
>>43774992
Ah fuck, I've been wasting my time reading Apprentice then-

>>43775002
Or maybe not?
>>
>>43775018
Its up to you to make that push in Apprentice anon!

Don't let your dreams be dreams!
>>
>>43775040
We do I have to make the push? What I want to bottom in someone's big, beefy arms as the hold me against their hairy/scaly chest and make me feel so safe yet excited from how violent they're being?
>>
>>43775061
>Why do I have to*
>>
>>43775061
Well I meant in the voting anon! No one is going to go for the gay option unless you bring it up and push for it!

Its all on your shoulders anon. Do yourself proud!
>>
>>43775114
It's all on my shoulders? Blowing someone that small isn't my thing, and if they were bigger that could get tiring after a while.
>>
>>43775114
>you can totally win this vote
pls
>>
>>43775148
...I'm an optimist?
>>
>>43775167
There's optimism, and there's delusion.
>>

Mostly goings on in my daily life and people I've met.
>>
>>43775209
You've either got a very interesting life or a very mundane quest
>>
Page 10 bump. Really dead. Is nothing going on, or is there too much going on that there's no time to talk?
>>
>>43777998
I guess because there are many active quest?
>>
>>43777998
There's nothing controversial yet this weekend. Just get planefag to come say something dumb.
>>
>>43778178
Whiskey committed twitter suicide but thats really it as far as that goes.
>>
>>43777998
I don't know if interest in these threads are waning or the fact that no quests are going through anything of note right now.
>>
Anyone wana talk about Crusader Quest ?
>>
>Combat Heavy RWBY Quest
>Using Song of Swords rules.
i want to see it happen
>>
>>43779172

>RWBY Quest

Not even once.
>>
File: abyss.jpg (821 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
abyss.jpg
821 KB, 3000x3000
Are there any distinct differences between running a Quest and an online CYOA? Modern (non-drawfag) quests seem identical in format to pre-RubyQuest imageboard CYOAs like Lighthouse.
>>
>>43779402
CYOA as a term means dozens of different things depending on who you ask, but yes Quests are pretty similar to old-school paperback CYOAs. The biggest difference is that a quest has only one route written as the players choose it, instead of each path being written out and the reader being able to choose their own path.
>>
>>43779402
Awful Hospital fan too huh?
>>
>>43779499

Does that one anon still come by and do Lone Wolf adventure books? I miss tie threads.
>>
File: seduce.png (224 KB, 800x259) Image search: [Google]
seduce.png
224 KB, 800x259
>>43779639
Just found it yesterday actually. Taking a break at page 300.
>>
>>43779677
Oh god that glorious mess. I was talking to bogleech when he was started talking about how hilarious it was that everyone wanted to bone the hamburger monster
>>
>>43765875
>>43765875
Any Novels or Academic studies that i'm reading, though that's mostly used on developing NPCs, my co-op QM does the general setting.

Three Kingdoms, probably because as I'm enjoying RoTK10 recently.
>>
File: Chinese Cold.webm (840 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
Chinese Cold.webm
840 KB, 854x480
>>43779974
>>
Ihnaaimc is kill
>>
what are some of the good quests that is active these days?
>>
>>43781188

I've been enjoying Dish Washer Quest, which is low-key and kind of odd but seems like a good slice-of-life game.
>>
>>43781188
Pandora Quest is pretty good.
>>
>>43781188
Kant-O-Celle Quest is the only good quest left.
>>
File: 1426513084255.gif (32 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1426513084255.gif
32 KB, 250x250
>>43781283
>>
>>43781283
stfu planefag
>>
File: 1380448241371.gif (31 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1380448241371.gif
31 KB, 250x250
>>43781309
>>
So, I've decided to try my hand at qming, and came up with a quest idea to run for my first, and possibly last quest.

Underdark quest. name's pretty self explanatory

the concept is, you'd take control of a member of one of several noble houses in an underdark of a setting of my own creation, each of which have different strengths, weaknesses and what have you.

Of course you'd be a drow, since you can't have an underdark without them.

the general tone would change from day to day life to life to threatening danger and excitement pretty freely, like raiding the surface, getting into brawls with other houses, fending off assassination attempts or trying not to become lunch for other inhabitants of the dark corners of the caverns.

Of course that's not all that will happen in it, as whatever goals you decide the MC will go after will lead them down mysterious, strange and perhaps even deadly paths

I'll post a link to the character creation thread as soon as I'm done with the OP

also made a twitter here: https://twitter.com/UnderdarkQuest
>>
>>43782238
Gangs of New York Underdark?
>>
File: 1424643509299.png (165 KB, 600x675) Image search: [Google]
1424643509299.png
165 KB, 600x675
>>43782238
>character creation thread
ahahahahahahahahah
>>
>>43782238
Illithid plots and thrall raids?
>>
> That feel when you want to participate in quests, but your work schedule is too sporadic.

I am, at this time, doomed to plumb the archives of the quests that catch my interest. But that interest tends to wane when I can't participate.

Feels bad man.
>>
>>43782238
I had an idea for a quest that was a sort of Underdark quest. At the very least, it was going to be focused on your explorations of the caverns underneath a Decopunk/Teslapunk New York. I was recently thinking of trying my hand at QMing starting with that. Regardless, I wish you luck.
>>
>>43782301
Hmm, I like the sound of that
>>43782373
Of course

>>43782350
I like to live dangerously

well here we are: >>43782487
>>
Fug, what's a good way to run combat in a quest thread that isn't horribly slow/clunky/excessive? Just one roll to govern the entirety of it?
>>
File: Drops of Revelation.jpg (204 KB, 900x764) Image search: [Google]
Drops of Revelation.jpg
204 KB, 900x764
>>43782398
Valen Quest is live, for any of my three players.
>>
>>43782506
descriptions, dynamic action, important choices. Make it more than 'i hit the goblin with my sword'. Look through the first ten totemist quests to see how it was done well
>>
>>43782476

If nothing else, vote in the archive. It lets the attentive QM know that people are trolling the old archives when they see that unusual crawl of votes towards the most recent thread and reminds them that what they write is FOREVAH.

Or as long as suptg lasts.
>>
File: 1446426342625.gif (1 KB, 122x111) Image search: [Google]
1446426342625.gif
1 KB, 122x111
>>43782350
I want to try hitting every single one of these in a first thread except Nothing Happens, Pointless Decisions and Short Run.

>Wall Of Text OP AND a Required Pastebin
>Name Vote, Character Creation and Gender Vote in that order
>let players know it's a Fanfic Quest after character creation, Comparing It To Other Quests while Engaging The Meta during Meta Exposition
>Write-Ins Only with Full Agency and No Direction, but Blatant Railroading outside of player actions (which all require D20s with Crit/Fails)
>Smut if the players don't want it, No Smut if they do
>No Tripcode, No Twitter, Engaging Trolls and Antagonizing Players with No Formatting and Gratuitous Spelling Errors
>>
>>43782567
Sounds like that Dadaragons guy
>>
>>43782506
Joker, Deniable Assets/Extranatural Enforcer, Totemist and Banished all have decent combat.
Steal from those.
>>
File: e95cbb2f179eef34d4f8f1ec22f98fcd.jpg (391 KB, 1062x1500) Image search: [Google]
e95cbb2f179eef34d4f8f1ec22f98fcd.jpg
391 KB, 1062x1500
>>43782567
>So here's 3 posts of describing this urban fantasy world. Make a character.
>BY THE WAY IT'S IN THE MGNQ-VERSE EVERYONE LOVES THAT RIGHT
>You're bearded futa is now fighting CURE SUNDOWNER

Planning this makes me feel like a supervillain.
>>
>>43782567
Nah, you tell them it's a fanfic quest in your giant wall of text while comparing it to another quest, then put the actual exposition of what you're doing (Meta, of course) in a very poorly formatted and spelled pastebin.
Then you just engage in all off-topic conversation that comes up. Halfway through the first thread, make the character suck a dick (Smut AND railroading!). Tell players who don't like it to fuck off. Everything else on the chart should be very easy to implement.
>>
>>43782971
Saving for next Friday. Thank you good sir.
>>
If you like railroading, eighth grade level narration, and uninteresting characters, Pacific Fallout Quest is up and running.
>>43778141
>>
>>43765875
I got some quest ideas.

You play as a Sangheili on a colony that's independent post-H3 (somewhere in that time frame). You're on a human-founded colony where former covvie aliens come to get a taste of capitalist freedoms, in contrast to...whatever system the Covenant used (socialist? Maybe a Rep economy?) You do cop stuff with your human partner. Much less "save the universe", and much more "strange alium SOL".

In the same vein is "you are a bookish UNSC marine who is forced to room with aliens". Either as a part of a kind of "cultural exchange", or because no one else wants to put up with the aliens who are joining up with the UNSC for otherwise impossible career advancement opportunities (like a Grunt being a ship captain, because merit would go much further in the UNSC than species). So it would be that you live on an alien ship full of aliens as one of the sole humans there, with a VERY intense and constant look at daily Covenant life as a whole, or you are the gateway through which one alien at a time gets a taste of what it's like to live with humans, where we examine, one at a time, how each alien species would fit in with a human military and society.

For both of these preceding ideas, the point of the quest (from a meta perspective) would be to explore behind-the-scenes life for civvies and militaires of any background, and a chance to futz with canon, and test out the veracity of different plausible fanon bits. Basically I'd just like to inspire people with what's possible in the setting.
>>
>>43785886
I'd go with the retired UNSC marine, since the average player doesnt know enough about the sangheili mindset to play it well enough.

Honestly, i think itd be great, but you'd have clearly define sources if asked, since post-343 is a skubfest with grognards on both sides of the fence
>>
Right Hand of the Dark Lord Quest when?
>>
>>43786459
Players always kill and replace the Dark Lord by thread five. Apparently, /tg/ always have trouble with the loyalty aspect. If the Dark Lord is strong enough to not be ganked, we turn traitor and join the paladins or some wanky bullshit.
>>
>>43786459
/tg/ can't into evil. Except Dark Comedy Quest and that too went to shit quickly.
>>
>>43786610
What if you were already a traitor from the "forces of good"?
>>
>>43786664
They'd demand to flop back. /tg/ doesn't take to being a servant very well (unless it's to a waifu, and even then it's iffy).
>>
>>43786664
/tg/ are moralfags, they'd return and say but weesa sorry mista pally-din and then get outraged when they get smote.
>>
>>43786688
That or they'd force you to try and redeem the QMC somehow. Especially if the side of good has a waifu they take a shine to.
>>
>>43786459

>>43786610
He's got a point.

You need to make the Dark Lord less a person and more of an all-encompassing force. Something that lurks in the corners of your mind and nibbles at your dreams as opposed to some dude with a popped collar sitting on a throne. He needs to be the kind of evil lord that is concerned with the long game and allows for autonomy in the short term, which gives the players freedom to deal with the situation how they please while also giving them something on the horizon to work towards.

Essentially, it becomes a villain quest where the main disadvantage of a villain quest, that being the players' tendency to get lost along the way and being unable to assemble a long term plan, is entirely avoided.

The Dark Lord needs to be immobile or otherwise incapable of dealing with things himself, but also incredibly powerful in a conveniently inconvenient way that all comes together to necessitate the MC's existence, employment, and payment, which must also be exceptional.

An example: Nchiankethoth the Many-headed Madness has been banished from this world by the forces of good. You, having stumbled upon the ancient citadel that once served as this dark and ancient god's grand temple, have made contact with the entity through the last of his unholy relics, a tainted spring which pours into a pool of reflective mire. Nchiankethoth has offered you his power and a place as his grand priest in exchange for breaking his bonds and setting him loose upon the earth once more, but to do this you must gather a cult into his influence and strike down the royal bloodlines of those who had a hand in sealing him away countless centuries ago.

And so, with the deal struck, you bathe in the pool of mire and madness, and emerge changed, empowered by strange magics that have not been seen in millennia.

Now you just have Nchiankethoth chime in like a concerned mother every few threads to give orders, vague advice, and the locations of forgotten relics.
>>
>>43786767
You also need some opponent who is able to threaten the Nyarly ripoff, and impress upon the players the need to not act like a dumbass miniboss.

That sounds eerily familiar to one of the /tg/ threadcaps, that ancient spider god who drops in and gives the party weird gifts and says hello every couple of days
>>
>>43786799
Well, the kings you need to kill could assemble a team of teenagers with attitude, possibly even have their angsty young heirs embark on a grand adventure to stop you.
>>
>>43782528
Surely there's at least four of us now. Less in the dead of EST night, but whatever.
>>
>>43773490
>implying people believe such lies
So that explains where the shitposter came from. It's this faggot from here. You're that autist who gets upset over names aren't you?
>>
I need more quests where you play as a heroic, or at least not evil, giant monster.
It's been too long.
>>
File: sequester.jpg (216 KB, 776x881) Image search: [Google]
sequester.jpg
216 KB, 776x881
Has anyone made a gritty mechsuit/power armor quest yet? Like a post-apocalypse setting where a rustic, perhaps incomplete set of it is discovered by a MC who must use it to carve out an empire or destroy the numerous tribal bands out to destroy whatever societal progression that has been made since the last days of armageddon?
>>
>>43786917
the closest I got to that is the robot-trying-to-retrieve-his-lost-humans quest I'm cooking up.
>>
>>43786917
I strongly considered it a few years ago, but it never went anywhere.
>>
>>43786917
Wanzer Quest?
>>
>>43786610
>>43786647
>>43786664
>>43786679
>>43786688
>>43786712
That's why you make all the waifus not only evil, but actively encouraging the QMC (and the players) to do evil things.
>>
>>43787301
Then the players do fuck all except SoL shenanigans with waifu's. /tg/ as a group does not do evil well
>>
>>43787301
no, that just makes them feel bad because the stuff they want to do with waifus are generally non-evil.
>>
>>43786610
Unless the Dark Lord is a waifu, then they stay on in a futile attempt to redeem her.
>>
How important is technical detail to a quest where you have to maintain a single pilot space fighter?
While probably high?
>>
>>43787351
>While probably high?
the players or the character or the QM?
>>
>>43787259
wanzer quest only works if you are protecting the president who gets murdered in a coup and then you get framed for it and put into political prison and then get broken out by a bounty hunter who was doublecrossed instead of being paid to capture dissidents.
>>
>>43787434
no, it happened. At least in terms of gritty mechsuit/power armor. Look it up.
>>
>>43787311
The QM has to push the plot forward and have things progress. SoL happens because SoL is being written.

>>43787320
Sunset in Mordor is the prettiest sunset, a genocide is the best date and the BBEG donald's has the best romantic dinners when your waifu is a meek, shy girl who wants nothing but death to every last human after they did something horrible to her.

It's all about making eating babies attractive, justified and rewarding. Sure, they may try to be not-evil at first, but after few brokenhearted words from the waifu along with encouragement and talk of how much she trusts the QMC to do the right (evil) thing at proper times, they will do all the horrible shit just for her. Add in upgrades forged with the souls of the innocent and fun cast of evil people that see nothing wrong with burning down that small village and sooner or later the players will get used to the idea.
>>
>>43787396
Character.
Also, should ask the same about aesthetic/design detail while I'm at it.
>>
>>43787475
nah. Characters might like the eating babies, but the players are on /tg/, and therefore, the players will gravitate to the moral, nice and safe options no matter what else is offered to them. The Character might enjoy punting babes off battlements and raping pregnant women while stabbing them with a piece of barbed wire, but the Player will not. See Dark Comedy Quest-although the QM gave up because no-one wanted to read his novella backstory that was suddenly introduced five threads in, he also had trouble getting the players to be as edgy as the character was.
>>
>>43787475
>Mc is trying to gather enough power to destroy Japan
>organizing anti-government criminals
>praying to deities of death, insanity, and destruction
>enslaving or defeating people who are supposed to be major heroes of the land

...it's true, Ryukusa IS the BBEG.
>>
>Exalted - Guardian Beast Quest #08
Anyone care to sell me on this one? Most exalted quests die three threads in, except for EQ itself, so im a bit leery.
>>
>>43787512
That's just what I was addressing. You don't expect people to be evil for the sake of evil. The temptation of evil is that it offers you something the good doesn't and /tg/ likes few things more than waifus.
Neither the QMC nor the players have to like eating babies, they just have to be willing to press the button to do so and /tg/ can play a pragmatically evil character. Hell, /tg/ occasionally plays characters that way in normal quests.
You don't give them the choice of "do you eat this baby or do you let it go," you give them the choice of "do you want a powerup or a brat that's going to try to kill you later on?"
Bonus points if their first attempt of doing good backfires horribly and causes something horrible to the QMC, or better, the potential waifu.
>>
>>43787607
but you see, the players wont find these things interesting if you penalise them that heavily, and therefore you won't have players. Joker Quest is the one exception, and thats mostly because we still dont know what the fuck is going on half the time
>>
>>43787637
Every quest has that element of QM having to balance how much punishment you can throw at the players to keep things interesting without making it too infuriating and how you reward them before they start feeling like there's nothing to be afraid of and lose interest.
You just have to hammer in that just like doing something evil will most likely backfire in a 'good guy' quest, doing something good will come back to bite you in the ass in an evil one. People tend to have the mentality of doing good things results in good things. You have to reverse that in an evil quest.
If you have a character with set alignment you want to stick with you don't offer the players moral dilemmas, you offer them practical ones, like "how do you conquer the kingdom of elves".

An evil quest is obviously a niche and will have less players than some more popular types of quests as less people on /tg/ have interest in such. Evil quests on Anonkun actually do considerably better and are some of the larger quests on the site so that's always an option for anyone wanting do so something like that.
>>
>>43787755
to be fair, you have to REALLY fuck up the rewards structure and social systems of reality to make doing good things -not- result in good things.
>>
>>43787755
Snake Catcher quest has done Evil pretty good so far. It helps that the MC is pussy whipped and brain damaged more than actually evil.
>>
>>43787794
I've been out of the loop of Snakecatcher for a fair while now, but i got the feeling we were a good influence on Hiss. She's still evil, but in a idiotic noble way rather than being truly evil
>>
Has the title "The WORST Quest" or a variation thereof been used before?
The MC is a "time traveler" who spends each weekend in a different fanfiction quest universe.
Chargen has only two gender options: transboy (with womanly bits) or transgirl (with manly bits). Each thread will be capped off with a pastebin detailing an unwanted sexual encounter with the closest NPC.

More horrid ideas are welcome.
>>
>>43787794
That falls under the idea of making the Dark Lord the waifu though and even then the MC is still trying to reform her. He's not succeeding particularly quickly or efficiently but he's trying.
>>
>>43787855
We already have Mahou Shounen Quest.
>>
>>43787775
Not really. The idea of gray, pragmatic morality is not a strange idea, especially in any darker setting. People may take advantage of your kindness, people may betray you for their own personal gain, hell, you may appear evil enough people always assume the worst of you and treat any attempt of doing good as a ploy to get their guard down. Sparing that dude does not mean he will have a change of heart and help you later, he may grow stronger with the desire to kill you. Not taking advantage of someone's weakness means they will be stronger when you face them.

There is also the idea of a society that rewards "evil" acts, which an evil empire would most likely be. If people around the QMC view humans as an irredeemably evil force, doing villanous things to humans will seem alright. Good and evil tend to be subjective and as long as the players think their enemy is 'evil' they tend to be willing to be pretty evil themselves.
>>
>>43787875
I'm just saying man, most "good" acts are considered good because they generate benefit for everyone involved, and will be chosen even by amoral parties for their own benefit.
>>
>>43787637
Joker Quest is like a paradox, because it honestly should've collapsed ages ago and didn't.
>>
>>43787897
To be fair, both the players and the QMC in Joker Quest are genuinely trying to be good. It's just they often fuck up because of their ignorance or because they are confronted with situations where the lesser evil is the best choice.
>>
>>43787913
Eh. They're mostly trying to be good. The whole Zephyr switcheroo, for example, was rather unnecessary cruelty, IMO.
>>
>>43787887
Then why would you not want the PC of an evil quest not do something like that. Actually, why would you want the villain of any story to not go along with something like that?
When I say good I usually refer to good as opposed to evil, not good as opposed to awful. I mean, you could argue /tg/ tends to do stupid shit but I don't think that would hinder a quest about an evil person/force/whatever any more than any other quest.
>>
>>43787866
And what if the Dark Lord is the husbando?
>>
>>43787958
You'd need very specific audience.
>>
>>43787943
I'm not the guy running the quest, I'm just pointing out that you can't like, incentivize against all good things.

Maybe classical spare the BBEG (big bad GOOD guy?) style good, sure, but normal pragmatic good is very hard to punish without making the world strange.
>>
>>43787958
Wouldn't work, I feel. Players are much more forgiving of waifus. If Snakecatcher was genderswapped the MC probably would have thrown Hiss into a ditch by now
>>
>>43787926
Consider the circumstances:
>Daegal is on the verge of getting killed by Kaiser
>Joker is no state to keep fighting against Kaiser
>fighting against Kaiser is pointless in the first place, since he's nigh-immortal
>Imago stated that killing Zephyr is the key to beating Kaiser
>it's impossible to lock onto Zephyr without Kaiser immediately charging to protect her or fuck Joker up

It was cruel, but it was also the most efficient way to deal with the situation.
>>
Anyone here remember nazi in fantasy land quest? Whatever happened to that quest?
>>
>>43788008
qm dissapeared. Pity, it was interesting
>>
>>43787977
I agree with that, but at the same time I don't see why anyone would need incentivize against it. If someone wants to run an evil quest they probably want the MC to be someone who does classically evil things and acts the part of the bad guy, or at least play with those ideas.
I don't see why that would in any way be hindered by doing objectively good things. I actually brought up the idea that /tg/ is a lot more comfortable playing a very pragmatic character earlier in the discussion, and that in an 'evil' quest you should encourage acting in a way that gives you the maximum benefit over acting morally, while presenting situations where that thing is the 'evil' thing to do.
>>
who john apise here?
>>
>>43788042
I'd say that just stating at the start of the quest that you want it to be an evil one but I've seen multiple 'dark' quests end up being derailed into being misunderstood good guys this way
>>
>>43788232
I do. Probably one of my favorite quests these days.
>>
>>43788921
need a french girl best girl edition
>>
>>43786325

Not retired, still in service. And it would also be a troublesome quest for canon autists because I'd be playing it fast and loose, seeing what sticks and what doesn't. I'm thinking to avoid major infractions, but I'm not afraid to futz with the wee details that either weren't elaborated on well to begin with, or are restrictive to writing a fun or compelling story. I don't recall Hunters being characterized too intensely, for example, so I would try my hand at characterizing them myself, and then checking in with the audience at the end of the thread to see what they think. Of course, whether such behavior as a writer would be acceptable or not would come down to my writing skill. If I was shit at writing, I'd probably just piss people off. If I can keep it compelling, maybe I could expand the setting's horizons.
>>
>>43787512
>See Dark Comedy Quest-although the QM gave up because no-one wanted to read his novella backstory that was suddenly introduced five threads in, he also had trouble getting the players to be as edgy as the character was.
ABC quest? He didn't have any problems on Akun, in fact, he quit because he didn't find necrophilia as entertaining as his players did.
>>
>>43789615
>akun
he quit on here for a fair while, and back then akun was even buggier than it is now, so i stopped following it.
>necrophilia
and there we have the other big problem with akun, the fact that its userbase seems to consist of the people whose fetish quests got banned from the various other boards across the internet
>>
File: 1336751760118.jpg (174 KB, 765x992) Image search: [Google]
1336751760118.jpg
174 KB, 765x992
Hey guys.

In your opinion, what are the top three currently active quests?
>>
>>43787607

The easiest way to have evil characters is to make evil tempting and seemingly harmless. Joker is a good example of a slippery slope, though that's usually a romance thing. Basically, the first love interest died, so the PCs started stringing along the next girl to come along. He also cheated on her with a girl he pitied/despised but needed to stay on her good side.

Eventually, it all came crashing down on him, and one girl died in utter misery. The other told him that she hated him, at the worst possible moment. And all of this was done with the best of intentions, though with lazy thinking and standard /tg/ player entitlement. That shit's well-done.

>>43787926

It's the end of the world. Anything goes. All the gloves are coming off at this point.

JQOP recently uploaded a picture of what the QMC looks like, and he's really fucked up.
>>
>>43789845
judged by what measure? popularity? population? 'quality'? QUALITY ?
>>
>>43789845
Define 'currently active'.
Would Boone Quality?
Would MGNQ?
>>
>>43789615
Akun's userbase seems to be considerably smaller, yet more varied than /tg/. I'm pretty sure you could run anything on Akun and it'd get some players while there are plenty of things /tg/ does not do at all. It may be simply the fact that there's less stuff there and people get more information about what a quest is about before they check it out though.
Due to this a lot of ideas that are not sustainable on /tg/ end up on Akun and do relatively well, which is fine, but things there tend to be completely unrelated to things here.
>>
>>43789940
By your own personal opinion. How much you like it.

>>43789964
Uh. Let's say that there was a thread at least three within months and that the author is still active on twitter and says the quest will continue.
>>
>>43789845
I miss Xeno
>>
>>43789981
>varied
Isn't akun just diapers, lesbians, and corruption fetishes all intermingling?
>>
>>43789985
Biggest would be MGNQ in first place, Banished in second and one of HQQ, Hellborn, JQ or HMQ as third. My favourites would be totemist, HMQ and HQQ.
>>
>>43790001
I think the diapers got driven off pretty quickly and while corruption and lesbians are relatively common, a better way to describe it would be a lot of smut in general.
Despite that, people seem to be far more willing to go along with whatever, smut or no smut, until either the QM pulls the emergency break or dies. Or finishes the quest, but how often does that happen anywhere?
>>
>read some X World playbooks
>realize some MCs and NPCs could be reduced to 4-6 moves
>>
>>43787867
Is Mahou Shounen in the same tier as "I Literally Cannot Stop Shitposting: The QM: The Quest"? Because that's what I'm aiming for.
>>
>>43790500

Mostly it was just SAFE SPACE FOR NEETS Quest, and advertised itself as such. It was a huge hit here, unsurprisingly.
>>
Can anyone tweet QD to see if he's still alive? He's not answering any new asks, and his last tweet was on the 7th.
>>
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I've been considering trying my hand at a quest, and I was hoping to get some advice with the mechanics side of things.

The overall idea behind it would be investigating and exocrising ghosts or other mythological spooky things from a small town. Some emphasis on combat, but also plenty of investigation and mystery stuff.

How mechanics-heavy do you guys think a game like that should be?
>>
>>43790616
>SAFE SPACE FOR NEETS

Mom's basement isn't safe enough?
>>
>>43790695
For a quest about mystery and investigation, mechanics should probably remain light. After all, you don't want to reduce the mystery down to a set of numbers.

A bit of flexibility tends to be key to those sorts of things.
>>
>>43790695
I'd recommend leaving mechanical side of things to combat.
You don't want to take the mystery away with dice.
>>
Sometime soon I'm thinking of running an AT-TE commander quest, another star wars quest similar to what was discussed earlier in the thread. I was wanting to run the idea of this particular aspect by some people, and I would like to know what players would like to see in the story.
>>
>>43790747
>>43790753
That makes sense, thanks.
>>
>>43790796
I'm curious as to how you plan to keep the operation of a walking gun platform fresh and interesting.

Wouldn't you be better off with one of those hovertanks or an AT-ST. The limitations of an AT-TE would fuck you around a lot.

I'm assuming you aim to write a war story focusing around a tank crew.
>>
>>43790695
I think it would be best to have the MC fight smarter rather than merely using dice rolls. Does the character know that a certain monster is weak to iron? If so, they should get a decent advantage against it. If not, then they may have to beat a hasty retreat or risk getting eaten.
>>
>>43789882
Fuck. I gave up on getting through the slog of cringe at the beginning of JQ but your constant descriptions of suffering and fucked-upness are too enticing to ignore.

God damn you to hell for making me pick this up again, anon!
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.