[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exalted General /exg/ Get Out Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: 1447837856790.jpg (308 KB, 658x1235) Image search: [Google]
1447837856790.jpg
308 KB, 658x1235
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Backer Core https://mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE
>Character Sheet & Init tracker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByD2BL6J89Nick41YUk0RUt3YlU
>Online charsheet:
http://howsfamily.net/Exalted
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

The Get Out Edition

Last thread: >>43745310

Why are the best places in the setting on the water?
>>
Remember Morke and Holden are liars.
>>
>>43756807

It's not really that important. I'm not sure anyone really tracks ranges inside of a melee. That stuff's for ranged engagements.
>>
Yo, anyone got that Behemoth that was posted here a while back?
It's not in the homebrew folder.

Also, is it actually a challenge for a circle?
>>
Hey guys a player gave this to me for approval. I normally don't do custom charms and such in my games so I was wondering if you guys could balance check it. There may be more evocations later but right now this is all I have received. And most of these won't come up for a while due to the essence requirements. It all looks fine to me but I figured you guys might have a better eye.

Robes of Desire
(Silken Armor, Artifact •••••)

The Robes of Desire are were woven of silk threads made by feeding magically altered silk worms a diet of Moonsilver and Orichalcum. The worms spin a thread of Moonsilver and Orichalcum alloy that is then dipped in a dye made from Passion Flowers found only in the gardens of Fair Folk Nobles. It is then woven together into a magnificent robe. A core of Orichalcum shaped into a rose binds the robes together. The rose will open its petals to accommodate a single Hearthstone.

Evocations of the Robes of Desire

When attuned to this armor the wearer may spend four motes to change its style and color into anything the wearer can imagine. This can not alter the size greatly like changing it into a set of underwear or a simple shoulderpiece but it is malleable within reason. The armor can never be stained and any damage is easily repaired by changing its shape unless the rose core is destroyed. Additionally the armor raises the wearer's appearance by one but will not raise appearance above five.

Strength of Desire
Cost: 6m Mins: Essence 2
Type: Reflexive
Keywords: None
Duration: One Scene
Prerequisites: None

The wearer attunes to the emotions of those around them sending their emotions into the robes strengthening it to be even harder then the strongest suits of armor. For every character in the local area who possesses a defining tie of love, lust, or desire for the wearer the increases the soak of the armor by +1 to a maximum of an additional (wearer's Essence x2) soak.

>continued in the next post
>>
>>43757026

Soothing the Beast Method
Cost: 4m Mins: Essence 3
Duration: Instant
Prerequisites: Strength of Desire

The wearer attempts to allay the fury of her attackers just before the blow strikes. The player rolls Charisma+Presence against the attacker's Resolve. If successful any 1s or 2s on the attack roll are removed from successes as the attacker slows its blow just before hitting.
Fleeing the One Night Stand Approach
Cost: - Mins: Essence 3
Type: Permanent
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisites: Soothing the Beast Method

If attempting a withdraw action in a crowded area the malleable nature of the robes are an asset. When rolling Dexterity + Athletics to escape add half of the Solar's appearance rounded up as bonus dice. This only functions if the Solar travels into a crowd of people and offers no assistance in the bare landscape of the countryside. In addition obvious effects such as the Solar's Anima banner void the benefit of this evocation.

Possession of the rose technique
Cost: 10m, 1wp Mins: Essence 4
Duration: One scene
Prerequisites: Fleeing the One Night Stand Approach

The wearer seems like an object worth possessing rather then risk damaging in a fight. The Solar rolls Charisma + Performance in an attempt to look as desirable as possible. If successful the enemy treats the Solar as a non-combatant and will not attack the Solar unless the Solar makes an offensive action. Defending oneself with non-lethal counterattacks are fine but performing physical attacks or sorcery spells are seen as hostile acts and ends the effect of this evocation. Enemies effected by this may spend one willpower to attack the Solar for the rest of the scene but develops a major principle to capture rather then kill the Solar.
>>
>>43756879
Is the book ready yet?
>>
>>43757116
No, and they seem committed to not fixing the major problems.

So the wait right now is for the art and layout.
>>
>>43757026
>Additionally the armor raises the wearer's appearance by one but will not raise appearance above five.
I'd raise the attunenment cost when using this, because a free attribute point is fairly powerful.

>Strength of Desire
reflexive soak-boost that lasts an entire scene is powerful, but the need for the intimacy should balance it, even if he's probably a character with lots of ways of causing those. The cap should keep it in cheek, especially for a 5-dot artifact. I'd define what 'local area' means, exactly.

>Soothing the Beast Method
It's very cheap and easy for a very powerful effect, and many antagonists have really crappy resolve. I'd put a cap on how many 1s and 2s you can penalise or give it a willpower cost. Also, keep in mind the roll is a magical action so IIRC you can't use an excellency on it.

>Fleeing the One Night Stand Approach
Niche, but powerful and free. Looks good.

>Possession of the rose technique
Can the Solar flee or use buff charms or social influences on the affected people? I'd define more strictly what exactly breaks the effect.. Also should probably be simple or something. And if you try looking desirable, why not roll Appearance? That's one of the few cases where that's actually appropriate.

Also, I'd give it a few more since it's artifact 5. But it doesn't look too bad.
>>
First for hold her down and stick it in rape
>>
Where are the mote regeneration rules in the book? I must be blind as a bat but I can't find them.
>>
>>43757295

Traits chapter, under Essence. Bolded text on that very page.
>>
>>43757215

>I'd raise the attunenment cost when using this, because a free attribute point is fairly powerful.

Eh he is going appearance five anyway so I have no idea why that is even there. Especially since Evocations are based on the wearer so he can't even lend it out.

>I'd define what 'local area' means, exactly.

From what he mentioned I think he means the battle area. So anything less then extreme. I will confirm with him.

>I'd put a cap on how many 1s and 2s you can penalise or give it a willpower cost.

Alright I will ask him. I am sure he will go for the cap because spending a willpower on each attack seems a bit overboard.

>I'd define more strictly what exactly breaks the effect

I know he wants to social attack people during the fight as his concept likes to end things peacefully if possible. I will ask about the buff charms though. And I will change it to simple as that makes a lot of sense and he gets no say in that.

> And if you try looking desirable, why not roll Appearance?

I will impose this as well as that makes more sense. Although again it does not matter because Cha 5 and App 5. Actually that will make it more powerful as you can get 7 app with charms.
>>
>>43757325
Thank you. I'm 100% blind. I swear I went over that page a bunch of times.
>>
>>43757365
>spending a willpower on each attack seems a bit overboard.
well, it would turn it into a charm you don't use on every attack, obviously, but on that one attack you really want to miss.
>>
>>43757457

True. But then would this be usable after the enemy rolls or before? Well I guess he can just save it for decisives or something.
>>
>>43757481
as written, it's before the attack is rolled.
>>
File: 21RMso4KDDL.jpg (8 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
21RMso4KDDL.jpg
8 KB, 500x500
>>43757381

Here a stock.
>>
File: catgirls.jpg (80 KB, 436x500) Image search: [Google]
catgirls.jpg
80 KB, 436x500
Would you be okay with this?
>>
Does anyone have a high res map of 3e Creation?
>>
File: 1443690882702.gif (726 KB, 446x251) Image search: [Google]
1443690882702.gif
726 KB, 446x251
>>43758477
>>
File: 1444263739788.jpg (5 MB, 2890x1870) Image search: [Google]
1444263739788.jpg
5 MB, 2890x1870
>>43758503
>>
>>43758477
Yes

Exalted needs more weebshit and I'm not being ironic
>>
>>43758555
See >>43758510
>>
>>43758575

Is there an Exalted character that could even possibly EVEN TOUCH Madara Uchiha? Let alone defeat him. And I'm not talking about Edo Tensei Uchiha Madara. I'm not talking about Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara either. Hell, I'm not even talking about Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan and Rinnegan doujutsus (with the rikodou abilities and being capable of both Amateratsu and Tsukuyomi genjutsu), equipped with his Gunbai, a perfect Susano'o, control of the juubi and Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju's DNA implanted in him so he has mokuton kekkei genkai and can perform yin yang release ninjutsu while being an expert in kenjutsu and taijutsu. I’m also not talking about Kono Yo no Kyūseishu Futarime no Rikudō Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan (which is capable of Enton Amaterasu, Izanagi, Izanami and the Tsyukuyomi Genjutsu), his two original Rinnegan (which grant him Chikushōdō, Shuradō, Tendō, Ningendō, Jigokudō, Gakidō, Gedō, Banshō Ten’in, Chibaku Tensei, Shinra Tensei, Tengai Shinsei and Banbutsu Sōzō) and a third Tomoe Rinnegan on his forehead, capable of using Katon, Fūton, Raiton, Doton, Suiton, Mokuton, Ranton, Inton, Yōton and even Onmyōton Jutsu, equipped with his Gunbai(capable of using Uchihagaeshi) and a Shakujō because he is a master in kenjutsu and taijutsu, a perfect Susano’o (that can use Yasaka no Magatama ), control of both the Juubi and the Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju’s DNA and face implanted on his chest, his four Rinbo Hengoku Clones guarding him and nine Gudōdama floating behind him AFTER he absorbed Senjutsu from the First Hokage, entered Rikudō Senjutsu Mode, cast Mugen Tsukuyomi on everybody and used Shin: Jukai Kōtan so he can use their Chakra while they are under Genjutsu.
>>
>>43758636
/a/ please. We have enough memes of our own, we don't need ones from other boards.
>>
>>43758662
Just answer my question nerd
>>
>>43758685
Well, Venus could touch any man she want, if you get my drift.
>>
>>43758685
Yes. Happy now?
>>
>>43758708
So madara wins?

lel
>>
File: 1446419690703.png (234 KB, 476x493) Image search: [Google]
1446419690703.png
234 KB, 476x493
>>43758699
Who is better at getting laid: Venus for obvious reasons, Luna because shapeshifting into a perfect specimen or tentacles, or Sol because perfection?
>>
>>43758799
your mom
>>
>>43758829
And I inherited none of dat talent. Fells bad man.
>>
>>43758799
Eh, I think they're all so good at it that comparison is pointless, as each of them has reached the ultimate heights of the ability to get laid in their own ways.

As a somewhat related note, I kind of dislike 'perfection' as Sol's thing. I'd prefer to think that he is more about overwhelming power in thing that fit his nature. These things would include fighting, commanding troops, direct hands-on rulership and the like but not, for instance, sneaking, picking locks or subtle social manipulation. Solars would draw from this overwhelming might without being limited bu Sol's nature, meaning they get to channel this might through their own skills and aptitudes.
>>
>>43758477
sure, why not

it's not like it can get any worse than infernals
>>
File: Yama-O.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Yama-O.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43757011
Here. I don't know how strong it is, though.
>>
>>43758927
Excuse you, Infernals are best girl.
>>
>>43758944
thanks, anon
>>
>>43758962
nah
>>
File: Jin Firelady.jpg (670 KB, 786x1100) Image search: [Google]
Jin Firelady.jpg
670 KB, 786x1100
>>
This is probably a dumb question, but is it common for exalted DMs to allow the solar castes to take charms from the other castes? For example a Night caste taking a Dawn caste charm for unarmed attacks.
>>
>>43759186

That... is something you're totally supposed to do, yes. That's kind of the reason you get Favored Abilites, to provide cost-discounts on Charms outside your caste.
>>
>>43759186
>This is probably a dumb question
yes, yes it is. Castes aren't classes. You don't 'allow' your players to do that, it's a part of the game.
>>
>>43759186
Ahahahaha.
Nowhere is it said that charms are caste restricted. The abilities are merely grouped by caste.

Sounds like a 2e problem, don't play 2e. 3e is better.
>>
>>43759238

>Sounds like a 2e problem, don't play 2e. 3e is better.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything? If anything 2e was a lot clearer when it came to things where 3e makes a lot of assumptions that you already know the setting and how things work in general. Which is odd because of its size.
>>
>>43759285
Exalted in a nutshell

One step forward

12 steps backs
>>
>>43759285
I mean in 3e the abilities are no longer grouped by caste, so such a misunderstanding is way less likely to happen.
>>43759312
Nah, 5 steps forward, 5 steps to the side, and 10 steps back in a different way.
>>
>>43759312
>12 steps
To be honest, when I tried to convince my group to play Exalted they looked at the rules, noticed 12-step attack resolution and NOPE'd out of it. Well, I guess that's what I get for playing with mainly rules-lite group.
>>
File: 1447371024472.jpg (226 KB, 900x1125) Image search: [Google]
1447371024472.jpg
226 KB, 900x1125
/exg/ents, question.

An order "adds its successes to the battle group’s dice pools for all actions taken during that turn."

Does this mean it adds those as automatic successes or does it add a number of dice equal to the number of successes to the action?

Also, when it says "all actions taken" does that mean if, for whatever reason, the order given becomes impossible they'd still get the bonus if forced to do something else?

Natural language a shit.
>>
>>43759325

3e they are still grouped by caste except now they overlap into different castes. Even if there is an overlap it does not really make it more or less obvious as now it gives you a greater field of possibilities to make a rounded character with just those abilities.
>>
>>43759209
>>43759224
>>43759238
Thanks for the answers, just trying to hammer out any rules issues before I start GMing for my buds.
>>
>>43759394
>does it add a number of dice equal to the number of successes to the action?
This one.

>Also, when it says "all actions taken" does that mean if, for whatever reason, the order given becomes impossible they'd still get the bonus if forced to do something else?
Correct. Order actions are a flat buff applied to whatever the BG decides to do. (Spoilers: it's going to decide to pound balls)

BGs are terrifying weapons, but they're also the ones easiest to break.
>>
>>43759393
Part of how I convinced my group to try Exalted was to say something along the lines of "Just read as much of the book as you feel like, prioritizing fluff. Don't worry about the rules that much, I can handle that stuff". They got handle of things soon enough once we actually started playing, and I think the game didn't feel quite so overwhelming beforehand that way.
>>
>>43759397
I meant the charm section of the book. That's now alphabetical. I'm certain that's what caused the misunderstanding.
>>43759394
>Does this mean it adds those as automatic successes or does it add a number of dice equal to the number of successes to the action?
The second.
>Also, when it says "all actions taken" does that mean if, for whatever reason, the order given becomes impossible they'd still get the bonus if forced to do something else?
depends on the rest of the text, charm name?
>>
>>43759453
Thanks for the response.

>>43759465
It's not a Charm. It's the basic command rules for battlegroups. Page 210.
>>
>>43759393
To be fair I can handle crunchy games but that's just bullshit and why I hate charms
>>
Short daiklaves are known as "cunning serpent knives." Are they Artifact knives, Artifact swords, or both? Can you use them for Steel Devil / Ebon Shadow?

I don't think doing so would be a terribly good idea, but I'm curious, as Stealth is one of the relatively few ways to lower someone's defense for Triple Attack Technique by yourself.
>>
So, what characters do you guys have?

The ones I've written up are:
Wandering Dragon: Dawn Caste who uses Awareness charms to boost his Join Battle so that he gets an average of 18 Initiative, then uses Single Point Style and Thunderbolt Attack Prana to deliver ridiculously lethal alpha strikes. He was the apprentice of a Realm Magistrate, who exalted when his master was murdered by the assassins of a Dragonblooded House. Now he wanders the lands as a stereotypical wuxia hero.
All-Is-Sunlight: Twilight Caste who fights with Brawl and The Burning Name. Sorcerer, Supernal Craftsman, will get Soak 20 once he uses a Sorcerous Working to give himself Nanomachines, Son, and crafts a set of Silken Armor. He runs a Primordial-worshipping cult of natural philosophers.
Glorious Solar Concubine: Zenith Caste with Supernal Presence who's got two Dodge charms, and spent all the rest of her Charms on picking every charm that enhances Seduction she could. Knows Dreaming Pearl Courtesan and Black Claw Styles, but no charms yet. She was the god-blooded daughter of a Great Forks fertility god, and one of his temple prostitutes. Exalted when she rose up against him, and got convinced to leave the city by Talespinner et al so that she wouldn't get it destroyed the the Wyld Hunt coming to look for her.
>>
>>43759890
Well if you statted up an artifact knife, it would probably have the Thrown tag instead of the balanced tag. If you're asking if they are knives and swords at the same time, then no. Obviously.
>>
>>43760055
So what are they? Cunning serpent knife and flickering silver razor both sound like they're knives and not swords, but my expectation of short daiklaves is for them to be swords.
>>
>>43760141
They're the artifact short sword. In 3e I do not think anything breaks if you let them be the artifact knife too until something more definite comes out.
>>
Do people ever take the summon elemental spell? I've yet to see a sorcerer that didn't just take demon summoning instead. What makes demons that much more desirable than elementals?

Maybe people see them as boring, I dunno.
>>
>>43759453
>>43759465
Two differing opinions. Anyone else want to weigh in? >>43759394
>>
>>43760377
In 2e, elementals involved spirit court politics, whereas demons could be slaves

In 3e, there is no downside to elementals besides what 2e grognards bring with them
>>
>>43760428

They are the same. They add dice not successes. Both said the same thing.

And they get a flat bonus in the form of you commanding them with orders. Regardless of what they do.
>>
>>43760751
On the second question. Sorry.

About whether the bonus dice stick around even if they're forced to do something besides what they were ordered.
>>
File: firelady jin.jpg (396 KB, 1500x1683) Image search: [Google]
firelady jin.jpg
396 KB, 1500x1683
>>
>>43760783

You don't order them to do anything though. You just roll and add the successes as bonus dice to whatever it is they do. Giving an order is just a way of interacting with your battlegroup.
>>
File: 1445715204046.jpg (98 KB, 716x1023) Image search: [Google]
1445715204046.jpg
98 KB, 716x1023
>>43760798
"An order action both determines what the targeted battle group will do on its next turn and adds its successes to the battle group’s dice pools for all actions taken during that turn."

For the full text. Is this more clear?

That's why I'm asking what happens to the dice if they can't do as ordered.
>>
>>43760883
I'd say they're burnt, and if you want to sync well with a BG to prevent fuckups, you should delay till their action.
>>
>>43761123
That kneecaps BGs and removes their commander from the battle, effectively.

Not sure that's the direction I want to go.
>>
>>43760883

What exactly would be an order they can't follow? Normally saying attack means they can attack unless they all died before they can complete the order.
>>
>>43761335
Obvious examples: rout, the opposing army moves out of range, some dick with Ready In Eight Directions Stance steps between the armies, etc.
>>
So hmm how balls deep do you think you can go with the persona tree? I wonder if it's possible to create a body double of a persona using socialize would you have to mind rape a person for that?
>>
>>43760377
> What makes demons that much more desirable than elementals?
Demons don't follow any theme beyond "alien, monstrous, versatile as a whole". Elementals have to be... well, elemental and material. But you can still basically make your own elemental suited for the task at hand. I bet they are better at some, like building shit, shaping land and growing crops.
>>
>>43760377
Neomah have a charm that lets them increase the Breeding Purity of unborn DBs for one.
>>
>>43759312

if you're shilling for 2e it won't work. nothing in 3e comes close to 2e's problems
>>
>>43761367

they use the dice to attempt the action, i'd guess? if the army (the entire army??) got out of your army's way in time, they'd probably rush attack and use your dice to do so. that's why it's a roll on war and not a specific "attack" or "movement" roll.
>>
>>43761601
Nigga you're fucking dumb

If you read that as anything other than indictment against the line's poor improvement rate
>>
>>43761678
One step forward 12 steps back can't possibly be read as anything other than 'worse than the previous version'. It's 11 steps back, dude.
>>
>Talking to a friend bout supernals
>I go with Socialize because my character plays around disguises a lot
>Friend goes Sail
>Not a bad tree except It stops at 3 and our ST doesn't like too much homebrew as it can get out of control in his opinion.
Why couldn't they have made every tree with high essence involved. I guess it doesn't matter because my friend doesn't care but it just seems like an unfortunate situation.
>>
Can Melee Charm attacks be used while in Shining Point Form as long as you dont combine them with SP charms, or can you not use Melee charms offensively at all?

I also assume that since the Swords attacks are created by the Form, that they cant be buffed by Melee charms at all. Am I correct in assuming this?
>>
>>43759990
Studious Gao: Heroic mortal practitioner of Crane Style and all around fun/cool Sage type guy. He cheers people up with music/dance and cooks nice food for them. He's not quite the best combatant, but he's pretty great (4/4 combat combo). So far he's helped his future circle fight a pair of bloodapes and been using the fact that he's a smart guy to macguyver some supernatural stuff away. Also in the fight he managed to block a massive attack from the Blood Ape in such a way with stunting that the Ape ended up looking like it was bowed in supplication, it was really cool.
>>
Can the Incarna die?
>>
>>43762001
>I also assume that since the Swords attacks are created by the Form, that they cant be buffed by Melee charms at all. Am I correct in assuming this?
Yes. You can use melee charms to parry, or to make attacks with melee skill while the form is up, but you can't use them on the attacks Single Point creates.
>>
File: peopledie.jpg (25 KB, 640x368) Image search: [Google]
peopledie.jpg
25 KB, 640x368
>>43762051

They can be killed. They won't die unless killed.
>>
>>43762051
Yes. 2E talked at length about what happens if Sol dies.

>>43762001
The former and correct, respectively.

>>43761904
You supernal for Essence 3 Charms, not Essence 5.
>>
>>43761904
You should tell your ST that he should give homebrew a chance but >>43762083
is right. You take Melee supernal for Perfect Strike Discipline, not Circle of Bright Reaving.
>>
>>43762011
To make sure before someone calls heresy. Heroic mortals can have martial arts style, they just suck and can't have supernatural martial arts right?
>>
File: Action man.jpg (13 KB, 206x220) Image search: [Google]
Action man.jpg
13 KB, 206x220
>>43762075
Is he a Sidereal, /exg/?
>>
File: 1445540092620.jpg (143 KB, 850x1206) Image search: [Google]
1445540092620.jpg
143 KB, 850x1206
>>43762071
>Yes. You can use melee charms to parry, or to make attacks with melee skill while the form is up, but you can't use them on the attacks Single Point creates.
>>43762083
>The former and correct, respectively.

Alright, cool. Thanks gents.
>>
>>43762083
>>43762126
Perhaps but the abilities to get E4 and 5 charms is extremely useful. I know my Persona build wouldn't nearly be as useful without the ability to grab at your service.

Speaking of Essence with charms why is elusive dream defense at E4 when it's major benefit has no reset and only works once per story.
>>
>>43762147
Chosen of Battles sick with having to orchestrate wars and clean after them. Probably used Sorcerous Working to literally make his body into swords. Could also be Exigent of Endless Labour.
>>
>>43762146
Correct. He doesn't get charms, but it's Wu-Jian so the merit is kinda half a social merit too. Also, I didn't fret over the "lost xp" because this is an ST I trust not to screw us over.
>>
>>43762267
>Probably used Sorcerous Working to literally make his body into swords.
Isn't there a spell that does that?
>>
>>43762162
This guy here again, with a question about Steel devil and Shining Point compatibility.

Shining Point says that 'This style
uses slashing swords and their artifact equivalents, reaperdaiklaves, delivering lightning-fast attacks from the draw.It cannot be used unarmed.' but doesnt specifically state that it can only be used with a single weapon in hand, while Steel Devil demands dual weaponry.

Would it be bad faith to use Shining Point charms with two swords in hand, in order to combine them with SD charms, since SP doesnt explicitly say you cant use two weapons?
>>
I'm calling it.

Gameline dies but manages to deliver exigents which allows the userbase to cobble ghetto charm lists for splats
>>
>>43762355
Incomparable Body Arsenal?

>>43762425
I'd allow it. There's nothing really bad faith about it; Shining Point doesn't go on about "THE MASTER AND HIS *ONE* SWORDWAIFU LOCKED TOGETHER IN MONOGAMOUS HARMONY"
>>
>>43762425
SPSItV is supposed to be the animu supersonic fast swordsman style, dashing through multiple mooks that fall down only after you sheathe your blade dramaticaly. That's pretty clear aesthetic and I doubt that dual wielding is allowed. But ultimately it all depends on your ST. Just remember that devs clarified that by "dual weapon" they meant two identical weapons.
>>
>>43762425
Absolutely nothing wrong with it. The only problem is there is no synergy, and both styles depend completely on their form charm.
>>
>>43762642
I was mostly considering the possibility of enhancing Single Points 'Sword' attacks using SD's Double & Triple Attack Technique charms to enhance the Sword's ability to drain initiative while the character uses his 'regular' attacks to focus on Melee charms.
>>
>>43762642

Not really. Lack of SD's forms hurt, but you can still gather charge and really hurt people with it.
>>
>>43762147
>Had an idea
It was shit

>Did a thing
Fucked it up

Yes, he is.
>>
>>43763362

Did he just fuck up on his own or did he get all of his buddies together to create a world altering clusterfuck?
>>
>>43763380

No that was the people who made the Holy Grail War and then summoned Avenger.
>>
>>43762570
>Just remember that devs clarified that by "dual weapon" they meant two identical weapons.

ah, well
>>
>>43765266
you could always use two identical mundane swords or get a special pair of artifact swords. Maybe they are even made for that fighting style and have charms that synergise with that?
>>
So, how would you do games of thrones with solars? Cause...I imagine they'd just shank or seduce everyone's pants off? Maybe it might be better to ask how to do game of thrones in general with Exalted?
>>
>>43765608
Dragon-Blooded, mostly
Starks are Air Aspects
Baratheons are Earth Aspects
Lannisters are Wood Aspects
Martells are Fire Aspects
Greyjoys are Water Aspects

Targaryens are Solars, and Rhaegar's insanity was a result of the Great Curse
>>
>>43765308
The artifact swords don't have to have been made at the same time. If you have the , Taskai ancestral blue jade reaper daiklave of the Tepet family, you don't need its twin. You could perfectly easily pair it with Elegant Destiny, your first age incarnation's orichalcum reaper daiklave.
>>
>>43762147
No, he's an Infernal. The whole "Inner world" thing in one of the Infernal's schticks.
>>
File: 1445805078604.jpg (50 KB, 500x699) Image search: [Google]
1445805078604.jpg
50 KB, 500x699
Why is all the theorycrafting for exalted about combat? Do your campaigns really have so much of it? Why aren't you running a social focused one?
>>
>>43767228
Yeah, they just have to be more or less the same. So no reaper in one hand and reaver in the other, or long and short but two reavers are good as long as they aren't grossly different in construction. And it's all, as always, subject to ST interpretation.

>>43767838
It's Devil Tigers' schtick and they are no longer on board. I would say that Reality Marble is more like Solar Circle Spell or really powerful Working. And that you shouldn't convert things in 1:1 manner, it rarely works out.
>>
>>43768999
My Crane MA guy is going to be lots of this sort. Just gotta keep yourself safe from attempts of MDV:Fist even in this edition.

I plan on writing a treatise on being Excellent to Eachother and making Creation less shit. I just know sometimes you gotta write those words in bruises. Thankfully Crane is fucking wonk at this.
>>
>>43768999
The social rules are god awful.
>>
One of the Big Problems of this general is people saying "X is SHIT" and then never elaborating on this or, what's worse, elaborating in inflammatory, condescending way that spirals into shitflinging contest between haters and 3E defenders.
>>
>>43769020
Devil Tigers aren't on the board anymore since it's going to be something that all Infernals can do from the start: take a look at that "preview" PDF the devs made during the kikestarter two years ago.
>>
>>43769071
You speaking from experience or just from reading the rules? Social influence seems like one of the better constructed systems in the book, but I haven't test-driven it yet.
>>
>>43769161
You are confusing Shintai with Devil Tigers. The latter are no longer a thing.
>>
>>43765932
100% agreement.
>>
>>43765932

Maesters are Sidereals
White Walkers are Abyssals
>>
>>43765932
I could argue that Starks are Earth because of their unyielding nature and Lannisters Fire because of their tempers but yeah, that's mostly right.
>>
>>43768999

Because combat has generally-applicable tactics. Social combat is far less detailed, and largely depends on intimacies on goals, which are far more character and campaign-specific than sticking swords in things.

You tend to get discussion of specific powerful charms (Hypnotic Tongue Technique, Mind-Reweaving Discipline, etc), because other than that, social is pretty much just "get higher than their resolve", and is pretty trivial for Solars to do, in general - especially social focused ones with high resolve.
>>
>>43769330
Maesters are mortal sorcerers.

Sidereals are the faceless men
>>
>>43765932
Oh, does that make Jon Snow a secret Solar?
>>
>>43769364

Pre-Exaltation Solar. Exiled to the wall for failure to Exalt as a DB.
>>
>>43762051
"Immortality is only a word. All that exists can die. Every living thing has a weapon against which it has no defense. Time. Disease. Iron. Guilt."
>>
>>43769205
Yes, exactly. Unlimited Blade Works is Shirou's Shintai.
>>
>>43769364
>>43769370
If he's exalting after he gets shanked surely he's an Abyssal?
>>
>>43760377

Summon Elemental lets you get 100% extra spirit minion if you cast both it and DotFC each day.
>>
>>43769449
Not necessarily; given his idealism, he could easily be a Zenith, demonstrating his Supernal Resistance by refusing to die from a mere backstabbing.
>>
>>43767228
I disagree, Steel Devil needs two identical swords or at least two weapons made to fit together.
>>
Does anyone have enough experience with Eoris Essence to tell if it's a better system for Exalted than 3e?
>>
>>43769362
Mortal Sorcerers or thaumathurges? I'd think the latter.
>>
>>43769561

It's a question of thematics, not power level. I mean, Targs don't operate at Solar levels of power, and the noble houses in the books are mortal, not Terrestrial Exalted.

The Maesters are the subtle advisors that seek to direct the nations from behind the scenes. They're Sidereals.
>>
>>43769561
Mortal Sorcerers in 3e, Thaumaturges in 2e and possibly earlier. Same role (mortal that has achieved supernatural power through effort rather than patronage), different explanation.

Thaumaturges really don't feel like the same thing they were in 2e, but I'm OK with that.
>>
>>43760377
Elementals are natural. Demons are unnatural.

Most exalts don't care but some do. In 3E, 'summoning' an elemental is really creating it, and there is no social or political stigma to creating an elemental. Even if you use them as slave labor, summoning demon is still inviting the offspring of the Yozi into Creation. This isn't seen as innocuous as creating an elemental, for good reasons. Exalts who summon demons a lot are exalt who deal with demons a lot. This isn't something you want widespread.

This is really my interpretation though, and what I enforce in my games.
>>
>>43769561
In 2e I'd agree, but 3e changed thaumaturcy from mortal magic to random trick you can just do because reasons; like Osha being able to read the sky to get vague prophecies. Everything else is sorcery of some sort.
>>
>>43769609
But the Heptogram teaches that shit to kids, at least in the Realm demon servants are expected.
>>
>>43769622
Because this is a useful tool. The Heptagram is very pragmatic in its teaching of Sorcery. Every single tool should be wield by its Sorcerers.

Still, there is a big social stigma at being a Heptagram Sorcerer able to summon demons, at least in 2E. Heptagram Sorcerers are seen as a necessary evil. Some houses like them (particularly Mnemon), but most don't.
>>
>>43769609
>In 3E, 'summoning' an elemental is really creating it, and there is no social or political stigma to creating an elemental.
Really? Where does it say that? I'm very interested in being able to summon without tacit slavery.
>>
>>43769652
>summon without tacit slavery.
You're still forcing it to work for you without pay. Saying you can't enslave an elemental if you created it is like saying you can't enslave your own children.
>>
>>43769652
In the description of the Summon Elemental spell. You don't really 'summon it', you really create it from the raw elements of creation. Here, guilt free.
>>
>>43769637
The social stigma affects all sorcerers, not just demon summoners.
>>
Elementals don't get loose when you fail your summoning. They also are a natural part of the world and not alien monsters. You can summon them at any part of the day, not only during night.

>>43769609
>summoning demon is still inviting the offspring of the Yozi into Creation
The oath-bound, suplicant offspring. Demons are treated like servants. They ARE unnatural and can be dangerous but the book explains that demon summoning isn't faustian bargain and a sure path to corruption and suffering for everyone. Expecially when it's the Exalted that commits the summoning.
>>
>>43769071
U wot m8?
>>
How powerful can Elementals get?

Can an elemental improve itself and learn new charms or is it limited to what it's created with?
>>
>>43769671
>The oath-bound, suplicant offspring.

Yes. But even if you use them as slave labor, summoning demon is still inviting the offspring of the Yozi into Creation.

The fact that there is very few chance that something will go wrong does not excuse the fact that you are dealing with the unnatural and dangerous, and somewhere in the path ahead, you will try to summon bigger fishes.

Demon summoning is not forbidden in the Blessed Isles, because it's useful and it rarely goes wrong. But there is definitely a social stigma at doing that, because of the tacit acceptance that you are manipulating a dangerous force, even in very secure ways.

Look at the handling of nuclear waste. Nowadays it very rarely goes wrong. This isn't, statistically, more dangerous than being a construction worker. Still, even with the right protocol, you handle that with care, because if you don't it will fuck you up.

Same thing with plane piloting. Even if, statistically, accidents rarely happen, you better believe people with expect you to be anal in your checks.
>>
>>43769709
It can improve. The greatest elementals are the 5 Elemental Dragons who are asleep, then the Greater Elemental dragons (confusing, I know) who are all mad and bound, and Lesser ones, who hold offices in Yu-Shan and are forbidden to try to ascend.
>>
>>43769737

Do Elementals become Elemental Dragons if they become more powerful? Like if a Fire Elemental like a Djinni grew in power would he become a Lesser Elemental Dragon?
>>
>>43769721
You're pulling this from nothing, people don't like sorcerers because they're weird and have magic, but summoning demons is no more weird and frightening to mortals than summoning elementals or conjuring butterflies of death. Most people don't even have enough occult knowledge to understand the specifics of what a demon is or where it comes from other than "not here".

>>43769752
In 2e, any elemental that made it to E6 automatically became a lesser elemental dragon, and they become Greater dragons at E10.
>>
File: 26731327189.jpg (410 KB, 1600x1040) Image search: [Google]
26731327189.jpg
410 KB, 1600x1040
>>43767228
Nah. The weapons have to either be largely identical (two slashing swords made by the same smith or Lightning Torment Hatchets) or meant to be paired together (this would be more specific to whatever your Storyteller comes up with, but I could probably brainstorm artifact paired weapons that aren't identical pretty easily).
>>
>>43769768

Thanks. I don't know honestly much about Elementals as they've never come up in an Exalted game I've been involved in.

Must be weird to suddenly be a Dragon.

Where do the Lesser/Greater Elemental Dragons fall with the Immaculate Faith?
>>
>>43769783

Rapier + Parrying Dagger would be a good example of Paired weapons that are not identical.
>>
>>43769768
>You're pulling this from nothing, people don't like sorcerers because they're weird and have magic, but summoning demons is no more weird and frightening to mortals than summoning elementals or conjuring butterflies of death. Most people don't even have enough occult knowledge to understand the specifics of what a demon is or where it comes from other than "not here".

We aren't discussing mortals though. We are discussing demon summoning and how people in the know (exalts, learned people, the great houses, gods, the divine hierarchy, mortal sorcerers) see it.

What are you trying to defend anyway? That mister Joe McMortalRedshirt fears the sorcerer as much as a demon summoner, and indeed isn't able to see the difference? Because if that is the case, this is true, of course.
>>
>>43769784
>Must be weird to suddenly be a Dragon.

It's written as a process of enlightenment. Once an Elemental has refined it's essence to such an extent that it hits elder status (E6+), any other form is no longer capable of containing and expressing the elemental's power. It transcends its origin and becomes a dragon.

>Where do the Lesser/Greater Elemental Dragons fall with the Immaculate Faith?
As long as they play along they're honoured cousins to the Dragonbloods.
>>
>>43769784
The transformation is not sudden. It's fluffed that the more an elemental becomes, the more draconic it's features. It's gradual.

High essence elementals do not figure into the Immaculate faith, as they mostly reside in Yu-Shan. The 5 Original ones do, but mostly as their human incarnations the Immaculate dragons.
>>
>>43769171
From my experience the social system really is one of the better constructed systems in the book. The campaign I ran had more social influence than combat in it, and the social characters of the party were very happy with the system.
>>
>>43769901
Is it easier to defend or attack in it, or is it about balanced (if stats are about equal)?
>>
>>43769502
Sup what do you need to know my friend?
>>
>>43769916
The way it works in my experience is that overcoming someone's Resolve is pretty easy for a socially focused Solar, but this is just one step towards achieving your goal. You need to utilize Major or Defining Intimacies to convince people to do anything really serious, and instilling Intimacies at higher intensities is hard. You need both supporting Intimacies and supporting evidence to do that. You might be able to trivially overcome someone's Resolve without being able to make him your bitch or question his long-held convictions or anything like that. So I guess 'attacking' is easier than 'defending', but the whole thing doesn't really feel like combat to me, and talking about attacking and defending is kind of misleading.
>>
Hello 4chan! I am in the process of making my first Exalted character in the 3rd edition and I decided to homebrew some areas of the character (such as artifacts and Shaping Ritual). I did a small internet search to see what was out there (and I shamelessly borrowed heavily from one (enlightenment of the Imperfect lotus)) but none was close to what I envisioned from my char, so I combined many ideas and made a new one myself. Please critic and find any problems/solutions. Would you allow it in one of your games?

BATTLEFORGED ASCENSION

Life is a continuous battle, existence is a continuous battle. Furthermore it doesn’t matter if you won or lost; what matters is that you fought, learned and survived. This is the first truth one has to comprehend upon which his eyes open to new horizons and his initiation to sorcery can begin. Yours is a sorcery rooted on the enlightenment of the Dao of battle.
>>
>>43769933
Basically what I asked. Would you be able to run Exalted in Eoris, and would you want to?
>>
Shaping Rituals

The most challenging enemy is always oneself. The sorcerer knows that he would rather conquer his self that win a thousand battles. Once per day the Sorcerer may enter a deep brief meditation lasting 15 minutes. During this meditation he enters an imaginary battle with himself. The outcome isn’t important but the enlightenment gained is. He may roll (Wits + Occult) and gain one sorcerous mote per success. These motes last until the next time she sleeps, and can be spent towards any spell she casts. If the sorcerer spends only sorcerous motes granted by the meditation casting her control spell, each counts as two motes towards meeting the spell’s cost.

The sorcerer finds hidden meaning and a chance to improve himself in any battle as he struggles to bring success against all odds. Whenever the sorcerer strikes with a withering attack he may opt to covert the initiative he would have gained into half as many (round up) sorcerous motes instead. Sorcerous motes gained through this ritual fade at the battle’s end (when the combatants leave Initiative).

All Battleforged sorcerers know that when facing death it’s the moment they most feel alive. The pure instinct to survive, the adrenaline from evading a death blow, the surge of essence as they try to endure a strike, they all become a source of power for them. Whenever the sorcerer successfully dodge, block or completely soaks an attack from a non-trivial opponent he gains 1 sorcerous mote .If the sorcerer spends only sorcerous motes granted by avoiding or successfully absorbing an attack, casting her control spell, each counts as two motes towards meeting the spell’s cost. Sorcerous motes gained through this ritual fade at the battle’s end (when the combatants leave Initiative).
>>
>>43769835
>>43769838

Thanks.

My mental image was the very goofy 'Djinni is Evolving! Djinni became Elemental Dragon!'

Then presumably 'Elemental Dragon is Evolving. Elemental Dragon became a clusterfuck disaster!'
>>
Other Benefits
Tame Ones Fears (Merit ••••): The sorcerer has learned to battle his fears and instead of numbing his thoughts and action it helps his fuel them. Rather that becoming immune to fear instill actions the sorcerer overcomes them despite being frighten. If an opponent has succeeded in a fear instill action, roll (Wits + Integrity) against a difficulty set by the opponents essence. If you succeed it counts as if you had spent willpower to negate the effect. Furthermore you gain the opponents success on the attempt as sorcerous motes or essence motes your choice.
Loyal Armament Endowment (Merit •••••): The sorcerer has fought many battles together with his loyal artifacts overcoming the boundaries of the self and becoming one with them. Whenever he wants to activate an evocation of an artifact he owns and has used for at least a story he may pay part or the whole essence cost with sorcerous motes instead.
>>
>>43756879
>After it reduced one hundred battlefields to ash in the
>course of taming Creation and destroying the enemies of
>the Solar Exalted, Volcano Cutter was returned to its
>temple-manse, and there it rests today. Only one being
>dwells within the artificial volcano-palace—Javarajati, a
>conjured spirit of earth and flame, who tends Volcano
>Cutter in its slumber and seeks the blade out to return it
>to its cradle when she senses that its current wielder has
>fallen. She has performed this service five times since the
>Solar Exalted passed from Creation, for none who have
>braved the temple during the Second Age have proved the
>equal of the weapon they claimed.

Any additional information about fire spirits in general or Javarajati in specific? Seems like she could be an important NPC in any campaign that features Volcano Cutter.
>>
>>43769800
Explicitly not acceptable for Steel Devil.
>>
>>43770026
>Elemental Dragon became a clusterfuck disaster!'
yes. That is exactly how you spell kuklan (he says as he spells it wrong)
>>
>>43769768
>You're pulling this from nothing, people don't like sorcerers because they're weird and have magic,
So the initial reaction wasn't "Hey, wizards are real, neat."
>>
>>43759453
>Spoilers: it's going to decide to pound balls)
Seanbaby, is that you?
>>
>>43770013
>>43770018
>>43770042

any thoughts on the shaping rituals?
>>
>>43769783
>>43769800
No, not for the purposes of Steel Devil Style. It simply demands two swords of the same type. Two slashing swords, two straight swords, two thrusting swords, two hook swords, two short swords, or the artifact versions of any of the above.

It doesn't matter where they're from, or whether they were forged as a pair or not; all that matters is that they're of the same type.
>>
>>43770017
Well lulz is always a good reason. If you want to get more high brow, a desire to explore the ramifications of Exalted when certain elements are missing or changed which should prove interesting nonetheless.

For the sake of discussion of the system and how would you run it I'll assume you wish to do so and want to hear all the details

As having been the one to buy and spread scans of the game is that a of problems lie with the presentation of the game and layering it in artiness. Such as the infamous character sheets, the weird layout, the dense what the fuck am I reading prose that's probably not helped out by translation choices since it was written in Spanish.

Anyway since you're not using the fluff that means you skip the fluff book and get to the crunch one which is way more straightforward. Although certain stuff is tied to the fluff but since you're not using it it'll be easier.

First things first. The system is similar to WoD but with D20s. However there will be no bucket of dice shenanigans. The Game caps your pool at 12 and anything above that is a success. Also you dedicate one die of your pool to be the "essence die" which if play as Xylen (Mortals) lets you gain Energy(Willpower equiv)
and and lets you crit suceed/fail depending on what you roll.

You're gonna have to build your abilities and powers by picking out some powers from the powers section which are pretty eclectic and won't all work for Exalts and generally build most of the stuff using the magic system.

Which is fine because I never liked charms and I like the DIY approach for building my exalts

Amusingly enough Sids and Lunars will be easy enough to do for their defining gimmicks. Since in the Vanilla setting you get shape shifting and Jojo Stands as a thing you can do out of the box.

And the magic system lets you do reality fuckery with it provided you choose the proper component.
>>
>>43771413
would mixing steel devil and SPSitV be possible if you had two reaper daiklaves?
>>
>>43771811
Yes, but they have no synergy and rely on their Form charms.
>>
>>43769662
In fact, buying into that is saying that the Primordials did nothing wrong.
>>
Would playing a not!Khajiit be possible?
>>
>>43772191
Yes. Take mutations. You'll be a beastman.
>>
>>43772191
Super easily. Don't know why you would.
>>
>>43771669
Speaking of the magic system it's basically Ars Magica/Mage's domains of effects type system but much more compact in regards to effect listing. You get 5

Ea: which is "manipulation" which lets cause mutations and change psychical properties of stuff
Hesthia: White magic more or less
Ilsia: "Communication" and psychic shit like mind bullets
Isthenia: Black magic counterpart
Kielia: "Timespace" Reality warping, summoning, and spirit world shenanigans. So with this domain alone you can do Wyld Shaping and shit with spirits/gods like entering their hidey holes and such

You mix and mash these five domains and produce your magic/abilities and the level of complexity/power is controlled by your Aura stat.

Aura is basically your magical power level but mixed with the setting conceits. So you'll want to refluff it to fit better. Mechanically I have no idea what level is good starting point for exalts as I haven't toyed with the magic system to say which level is good.

Also you get three methods of casting and they give you different stuff for doing so. Pick ritual because willpower recovery is good plus POSING

Moving on

You'll be ditching the Burden stat for weapons since it's tied to the hippie fluffy of everything is connected so willfully killing sapient stuff gives you bad feelz. Alternatively perhaps you can toy with it in regards to the corrupted solaroids and it giving like some sort of inverse nirvana/corrupted enlightenment thing.

Remove or tweak the action points thing since twitch characters will get more actions than slower characters.

You'll want to tweak the magical backlash rules for failing your magic rolls if you're angling to keep them as like innate abilities like charms do.

Transcendence are basically limit breaks from FF with the exception of the customisable Omega Transcendence. Use it to become A REAL SUPER SAND LEGEND with your exalts or weird anima banner stuff. I don't care s'all good.

And fuck I ran out of space again.
>>
>>43771826
How does Solar Melee compare to Steel Devil or Shining Point?
>>
Reminder that if you haven't gotten your refund from the 3e kickstarter, now's basically your last chance to do so.
>>
>>43772241
Melee has balanced attack and defense, and more room for growth.
MA has small, complete charmsets.
>>
>>43772241

Different beasts. Shining Point and Steel Devil construct themselves around their respective gimmicks, and can explode in those gimmicks hard as fuck. Melee is a take-all-comers-does-nothing-special style.

If you want to never, ever be caught with your pants down, but also don't want to do anything cool, you take Melee. Everyone else is for saying "I wanna do THIS harder, but at the cost of X."

That said you can combine Melee defense with SP/SD offense just fine.
>>
>>43772274
>That said you can combine Melee defense with SP/SD offense just fine.
Oh, hadn't thought of doing that. So you can use, say Gathering Light Concentration after parrying an attack using Melee charms, then? Because I've been noticing that Single Point doesn't have any defense charms.

Presumably then you can use melee charms that trigger extra attacks like One Weapon Two Blows to trigger a Shining Void (seriously, what do you call this martial art?) attack. Although in that example, you wouldn't be able to use OWTB's prerequisite to enhance the attack you're about to make.
>>
File: 1446493261490.jpg (145 KB, 618x871) Image search: [Google]
1446493261490.jpg
145 KB, 618x871
>>43772241
Favorably. The key thing to remember is martial arts excel at a particular sub-section of combat. Single Point is really good at building Initiative for quick Decisive attacks. Steel Devil is good at multiplying the effects of Decisive attacks.

Solar Stealth is just as good at inflating Initiative for decisive attacks as well.

We won't actually know how good martial arts are until we see more Exalt types.
>>
>>43772365
Charms that create attacks do so only in their own ability: Shining Point creates Shining point only attacks, Melee creates Melee only attacks
>>
>>43772211
Alright last one I swear.

Also correction burden is encumbrance. Both phsycial and magically. I could have sworn there some goofy thing about weapons gaining burden from usage up to a certain point.

Feel free to simplify damage types cuz honestly I don't see a difference between crushing and concussive.

Regarding artifacts those are under the Valestia listings. Shin for equipment and Sharii for vehicles. The equipment side is odd because it focuses more on protection and giving you nifty powers and not a whole lot of rules on building your stuff. Although there is a good enough list of artifact armor and weapons in the gear listing of the book.

Vehicles get suitable crunch for building them although you'll want wave the costing it gives for picking your items since its tied to your Eoris Shekels because they're basically solid essence from the First age book in 2e which is used to feed your organic vehicle and a kick ass warstrider can cost millions. Also the game doesn't do scaling with ranged weapons I believe which means that guns and stuff will have the same range as smaller characters. But that is a small price to pay for building a gundam that can attack with blowdarts.
>>
>>43772399
>more Exalt types.
Do you reckon they'll stick with the idea of Solars just being better than other exalts? Personally, I'm OK with that as a concept for the setting as long as the rules imply that, for instance, you make a party out of newbie Solars and experienced Lunars to make them balanced around the table.
>>
>>43772517
They have said that they are keeping that, but the gap between exalts is smaller.
>>
>>43772399

I do like how single point also does defense, which is through offense.

Seriously aside from Tiger or Hammer On Iron + Onslaught cheese, I don't know something that does more damage.
>>
File: 1445803391767.jpg (104 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
1445803391767.jpg
104 KB, 600x849
>>43772517
Their stated goal was to keep Solars stronger than everyone.

>>43772544
Yeah but...I mean.

They've lied before.

>>43772559
They're not bad choices for Solars, which is kind of an improvement. But they're not optimal unless you consider they can gain Charms twice as fast thanks to Solar XP being able to purchase MA Charms.

Even that's kind of an almost-even trade-off.
>>
>>43772613
>They've lied before.

Anon you can literally open up the Martial Arts section of core and see what their idea of Terrestrial and Celestial power is, and the answer is: not that much lower than Solar power. Then you have the fact that Sorcerers can make 2(!) tier-jumps just by existing and being badass enough.

If DBs and Lunars are dramatically weaker than Solars, it's going to be errors, not a lie. There's a difference, albeit one /exg/ prefers to ignore.
>>
>>43772559
>I do like how single point also does defense, which is through offense.
I know it has good Clash options, but a Clash isn't a parry, and the very first charm only triggers after a parry. That seems odd to me, although I suppose there are always excellencies.
>>
>>43772517
My ideal preference for the asymmetry between splats is to have it be ignored in the context of PC groups because fuck you pcs are special. And to handle it on the NPC side of things
>>
>>43756879
good lord her legs are 2/3 of her body. is that some steve argyle work?
>>
First homebrew I've seen on the OPP forums that doesn't make me sigh. Even if it is Fate/shit.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/771096-artifact-peach-last-thunder-orichalcum-direlance
>>
>>43772751
Only that ceases to work immediately, because PCs and NPCs use the same charms once their splat comes out. Your method requires 2 charmsets, that's crazy.
>>
>>43772751
don't worry, holden knows you don't really want those bad rules

so he won't give them to you
>>
File: Bayo_key_visual.png (740 KB, 898x1000) Image search: [Google]
Bayo_key_visual.png
740 KB, 898x1000
>>43772827
Looks reasonable to me.
>>
>>43772853

1) Antagonists don't need a full Charmset, they need Antagonist Charms, which aren't PC Charms anyway.

2) Even if you did, you could condense 3-4 PC Charms into each one Antagonist set, so it'd be more like 1.5; one full PC Charmset, and 2 (quarter-size) NPC Charmsets based on the tier of the PCs.

That said I don't agree; PC power relative to the setting is arbitrary, but making it MORE arbitrary in order to keep the numbers the same just turns Exalted more into Fate.
>>
>>43772204
>Don't know why you would.
One word:
>Skooma!
>>
>>43772938

>but making it MORE arbitrary in order to keep the numbers the same just turns Exalted more into Fate.

Exalted players think this is a bad thing.
>>
>>43772938
>they need Antagonist Charms, which aren't PC Charms anyway.
That's what I mean by an extra charmset. It's just extra work for no reason. It might help GMs slightly, but I'd rather just have the regular charmsets out faster.
>>
>>43772938
>PC power relative to the setting is arbitrary, but making it MORE arbitrary in order to keep the numbers the same just turns Exalted more into Fate.
If you were more wrong, you would literally be coming out of your own asshole.

>>43772995
>That's what I mean by an extra charmset. It's just extra work for no reason.
It's what's planned ALREADY.
>>
>>43772988
It's okay for one kind of magical being to be more powerful than another, anon.
If you want to make PCs equal, just give them more starting charms and an extra dot of Essence or two.
>>
>>43772988
Actually played Fate for a few years, got tired of it. We still run it for our light-hearted Mage game but Fate combat is so hollow.
>>
>>43772988

It's not a question of good or bad, it's a question of "If I wanted to play high-action wuxia FATE, I'd do that, because it's the exact same rules as grim-n-gritty low fantasy FATE, so there's not even any homebrew to be doing."

I want Exalted to be Exalted and FATE to be FATE, so that I can have both. Having them evolve into shitty ersatz versions of one another is a net loss for me no matter which direction it goes.
>>
>>43772613
>they're not optimal

A Supernal Martial Arts Single Point stylist can one-shot behemoths from character creation. You use all the Awareness charms you can on your Join Battle roll, spend 2 motes to make them last a turn, and score 18 Initiative, beating everyone else, allowing you to reflexively activate Single Point Form and give your sword 18 Initiative, too.

Meanwhile your opponents roll about 8 Initiative. You make two Decisive attacks, activate Fatal Stroke Flash to add another 10 dice, and then Thunderbolt Attack Prana to double them all, for what amounts to a total 56 dice of damage with each of your two attacks. This is more than enough to obliterate almost anything, whether that's Size 5 battlegroups (one each attack, even), either of the Behemoths in the leaks (61 and 26 Health Levels), or hell, even Resistance-focused Solars!

Adamant Skin Technique with 20 Soak means they take effectively 32 dice of damage if both attacks hit; they'll have 12 Health Levels with Iron Skin Concentration.

The only things that can survive them are Ahlat (thanks to having stupid numbers of Health Levels plus a charm that lets him halve the amount of Health Level damage he takes, and even then you'll knock him into his -2 Wound Penalties) and Octavian (because he has a charm that lets him ignore damage once all the boxes corresponding to a particular Wound Penalty are filled).
>>
>>43773031
So what you're saying is the game is broken.
>>
>>43773039

"A high-XP Solar kills things hard when the stars align for him." isn't really broken.

If literally anything makes one part of that combo go wrong, including "I just flub the attack roll, whoops", the Shining Point stylist is left sucking shit out of his own asshole while the bad guy fucks his girlfriend.
>>
>>43773039
So what you're saying is you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>43773065
>>43773084
You may want to re-read the part where you pointed out that this is a Solar right out of character creation.

I mean it's clear the game wasn't very good. But it looks like it may end up even worse than 3e. At least with 2e there was no hope.
>>
>>43773065
Fuck, Fervent Blow or Thunderclap Rush Attack could seriously fuck this build up depending on how the dice go.
>>
>>43773004
>It's what's planned ALREADY.
If by that you mean we already got antagonist charms in the core, then yes. What anon is asking for is a full charmset specifically for NPCs, not a few sample charms.
>>
>>43773127
>What anon is asking for is a full charmset specifically for NPCs, not a few sample charms.
No, he's not.

The Charmsets in the splats are intended for PCs. NPCs are already intended to work with antagonist charms because they need to squeeze more functionality into fewer charms.

Your reading comprehension needs work.
>>
>>43773125
Or Seven Shadow Evasion, combined with Drifting Shadow Focus depending on circumstance. Reset your foe to base and make him kill an ally? Why not.
>>
>>43773039
Of course it is. It's Exalted and developed by (ex-) White Wolf people, what did you expect?
>>
>>43773124
A starting Solar being able to (sometimes, dice willing) do amazing things within his area if specialty when he uses every drop of skill and power he has is hardly problematic, anon.
>>
>>43772830
That is nice design, but broken balance.
>>
>>43773031

>Hey guys! Lethality is fixed!

This system is forever fucked. I'm moving on.
>>
>>43773124
>You may want to re-read the part where you pointed out that this is a Solar right out of character creation.
No, that still doesn't help the 'you have no idea what you're talking about' thing. Not actually sure why you responded to me.
>>
>>43773125
>>43773147
Didn't Octavian have a Charm, possibly the same one that lets him survive the described attack in the first place, that gives him initiative when he takes damage? That might lead to a pretty nasty retaliation as well.
>>
>>43773183
Bye-bye. Have a good time in the threads for games you'll actually play.
>>
>>43773125

Steel Devil also wrecks it.

It doesn't need to go first. All it needs is at least 5 charge and the Single Point Stylist either needs to use his capstone or roll *really* well.
>>
Is Energy Restoration Prana's charm-reset power really that useful for a Dawn? There don't seem to be any combat charms that only work once a day.
>>
>>43772751

>My ideal preference for the asymmetry between splats is to have it be ignored in the context of PC groups because fuck you pcs are special.

Yeah. That's my favored way of doing it too.

Like say, putting DB and Solar charms on an equal level but non-PC DBs don't get Supernals so they'll never be as awesome until they get a lot of exp under their belt (And a sidebar going 'most DB are not essence 3+')
>>
File: 1209941829.jpg (31 KB, 417x349) Image search: [Google]
1209941829.jpg
31 KB, 417x349
>>43772853
And yet another reason why Charms are fucking garbage. Good thing there's another systems to run it

>>43772858
Tell me how bad wrong it is to want conciser charms and less dumb dice tricks that get in the way of mapping probabilities.

Or dice pool caps because buckets of dice don't make me feel empowered when I'm wasting time counting them
>>
>>43773184
>No, that still doesn't help the 'you have no idea what you're talking about' thing. Not actually sure why you responded to me.
The number one complaint /exg/ had was that lethality was completely fucked in 2e.

That was supposed to be fixed in 3e. That is now demonstrably untrue. Single Point will either need to be edited into uselessness, removed, or people will have to house rule it out.

That makes the game broken.

I'm sorry you're not following the reasoning. Not my problem.
>>
>>43773250
But it's not true at all. You have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
File: holdenbadrules.jpg (228 KB, 1469x483) Image search: [Google]
holdenbadrules.jpg
228 KB, 1469x483
>>43773248
>>
>>43773264
Repeatedly saying "you have no idea what you talk about" is not an argument. Enjoy your time out.
>>
>>43773279
I don't need to make an argument, you cannot be convinced that you're wrong about this. I mean, you're the sort of person who tells people on an anonymous image board to take a time out.
>>
>>43773250
>That is now demonstrably untrue. Single Point will either need to be edited into uselessness, removed, or people will have to house rule it out.

Or, y'know, let nature take its course and have the Single Point Stylist learn (by dying, inevitably) that having a strategy that amounts to "gamble" gets you killed a lot faster than it gets you somewhere.

Almost every high-payoff combat combo in the system is counterbalanced by an ever-increasing degree of risk, cost, and specificity to it. They exist, so that Exalts can go hard and turn themselves inside out to win if they want to gamble it, but they're neither wise nor even possible to rely on.

You might as well pick the Peony Blossom -> Iron Whirlwind loop to be your hill to die on; at least that one is actually reliable.
>>
File: benderlaughing.gif (972 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
benderlaughing.gif
972 KB, 240x180
>>43773293
>>
>>43773316
I'm glad we had this talk.
>>
>>43773306
>You might as well pick the Peony Blossom -> Iron Whirlwind loop to be your hill to die on; at least that one is actually reliable.
It's not the sort of thing that will end an encounter that's meant to be climactic immediately.

Moreover, my hill to die on isn't in Ex3.
>>
>>43773232
Honestly I just like the approach from a GMing standpoint because it makes thing simpler with the PCs are supposedly on equal footing leaving it so the only power scaling I have to worry about is the antagonists as the story escalates to bigger fish. So they either all live or die as one and if they bite off more than they can chew they got a fair warning
>>
>>43773306
This. The thing with high-risk, high-reward approaches is that risks are indeed risky. They won't always pay off, and when a big risk doesn't pay off in combat, you're likely going to die.
>>
the lethality problem was that a random dragonblooded with you know artifacts could oneshot you if he hit you... no charms required whatsoever. Imagine your stereotypical earth dragonblooded immaculate. Since being hit by a random dragonblooded that you are expected to come across at some point meant death then you had to make certain you never got hit in the first place. Perfect defence come to negate even the minuscule chance of being hit. that with the combination of how cheep they were made offensive charms useless and the only "health" that matter essence motes.

having a particular built that needs dozen of charms and everything align just perfect to do what it is expected of it with the risk of death for your char should you fail is not lethality problem.
>>
>>43773333
>It's not the sort of thing that will end an encounter that's meant to be climactic immediately.

For a comical definition of "immediately," I guess. I can't think of many things in the Antagonist chapter that will take 30 consecutive attacks to the face and still be worth talking about.

Moreover, an encounter "meant" to be climactic is going to be exactly the one that fucks the Stylist in the ass, by having one of the million and one counterstrategies. There's just no way that, at full resources, the final boss (who will probably be an Exalt, not a god or a 2CD) is going to have no answers to a high-damage decisive.
>>
>>43770656
on another note i could use some feedback on the homebrew.

I guess its ok since none said its too strong or too week?
>>
>>43773226
There are some useful non-combbat ability charms that have a 1/day cooldowns.

But it still gives 20m, potentially instantly with that one other charm.
>>
>>43773386
>There's just no way that, at full resources, the final boss (who will probably be an Exalt, not a god or a 2CD) is going to have no answers to a high-damage decisive.
Even for the unExalted competent bodyguards using Defend Other can make enemy's alpha strikes a lot less scary.
>>
>>43773386
Trying hard. Flailing harder.
>>
>>43772751
PCs are already special. The core explains, in the character advancement section, how PCs are remarkable even among the Chosen and how they can ascend to the pinnacle of power in mere months or years while others would require decades. That's why you shouldn't bohter with tracking XP for NPC, most of them just can't keep up. Maybe aside from your personal nemesis or the campaigns main villains but even then you should just give them new powers and toys as you see fit.
>>
>>43773426
The charm's awesome, no doubt about it. I'm playing a warrior monk who will absolutely have that charm, it's just that I saw people making a big deal about the reset power when that seems to be a relatively minor part of it.
>>
File: cE3e7si.jpg (113 KB, 560x776) Image search: [Google]
cE3e7si.jpg
113 KB, 560x776
>>43773505
It's insane if you stop thinking about combat for a second. Social, Craft, Medicine, Investigation, the list goes on and on, nearly every non combat ability has some very powerful effects behind a 1/day restriction.
>>
>>43773505
You get free extra uses of perfects, that's somethng
>>
>>43773571
You don't, it's only for the 1/day charms, not 1/scene. I checked.
>>
>>43773588
>>43773571
Unless you mean only the mote part, in which case, yes.
>>
>>43773039
>>43773124
>>43773183

Nigga, this is the same thing as the Southpaw Empress getting fucked by fighting 'two dudes or more.'

You're retarded, read >>43773147 or >>43773125 and so on instead of shutting your eyes and crowing.
>>
>>43774109

Just like how 2e said "Get this charms or die."

No, I'll move onto a more forgiving system. Even pathfinder is more forgiving than this bullshit.
>>
>>43773248
>Good thing there's another systems to run it

Feel free to post in threads for those systems, then, because deliberate asymmetry between splat types was a goal since 1E, and the game is clear on who is the strongest and who is the weakest instead of D&D 3E outright telling you that a level 20 wizard and a level 20 fighter are meant to be equal in power.

>Tell me how bad wrong it is to want conciser charms and less dumb dice tricks that get in the way of mapping probabilities.

That's not what's being argued. What's being argued is why do some splats have stronger charms than other ones, and the answer is "because it is an actual goal of the game to have Solars be the strongest and Dragonblooded be the weakest."

Please read the posts you are responding to before responding to them, condescending autist.
>>
>>43774179
Um? No?

A nigga is spending a ton of motes on a single attack that either fucks them if there is ever a second opponent, or fucks them if their attack misses.

Feel free to enjoy Pathfinder though, just be sure to play a caster or you're fucked right out of the gate. God bless.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.