[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/srg/- Shadowrun General- Adept Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: 2756051036_0a8ac3e64c.jpg (77 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
2756051036_0a8ac3e64c.jpg
77 KB, 375x500
Connecting to Shadowlands BBS...
>Verifying Biometrics...
>Identity Verified...
>Opening /srg/...

Books:
http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr (embed)

Chummer 5:
https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/latest
Issue tracker:
https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/issues

Last Thread- >>43518690

I've been asked to jump into a friend's game as the muscle. I was thinking troll blades adept, as they have some problems with spirits. However, last thread people were talking about adepts being broken, and I don't want to ruin the game. Is it really so awful to play an adept? Relatedly, how would a troll with a claymore win a fight if he didn't want to chop everyone in half? Is there some adept power to convert damage to stun, or something similar other than 'LMG with gel rounds'?
>>
Bonus question to avoid the adept shitstorm:

Top 3 spells that aren't Heal or Increase Reflexes?
>>
>>43559860
Adept's broken in that it's too good. On the other hand, you do have to go for specific stuff to be "too good" (they have the cheapest Initiative boost in the game) and if you abuse adepty things you can be sure the GM is going to throw background counts at your ass.
>>
Adepts have the advantage of being able to stack a single dicepool extremely high with all sorts of magical modifiers, even more if you sacrifice 1 point of magic by burning out. Simply gauge the upper limit for dicepools in your group (usually by talking to them), hit that or a little less, and you're set.

Mystic Adepts would be the real problem, since, unless you're being absolutely retarded, you can't 'tone them down'.
>>
>>43559860
Okay, then in short order:

>Is it really so awful to play an adept?
No it isn't, unless you min-max and munchkin the shit out of it.

> Relatedly, how would a troll with a claymore win a fight if he didn't want to chop everyone in half? Is there some adept power to convert damage to stun, or something similar other than 'LMG with gel rounds'?
You can do stun damage with a deadly weapon but you need to use a called shot for that. Barring that, a good ole punch always work wonders when you are a troll.
>>
>>43559860
>However, last thread people were talking about adepts being broken
They were talking about Mystic Adepts. Adepts are fine. They specifically have an advantage of Street Samurai when it comes to Initiative powers, raw total dice pools, and fighting spirits, while Street Samurai have the advantage when it comes to soak, attribute augmentation, and general versatility with a variety of cheap, useful implants.

>Relatedly, how would a troll with a claymore win a fight if he didn't want to chop everyone in half?
You can take a -4 to deal Stun damage with deadly melee weapons.

>CHANGING DAMAGE TYPES
>Sometimes all you have is a sword and you want to knock out your opponent and not kill them. In these circumstances your options are limited, as most lethal melee weapons are not designed for non-lethal attacks. When desired, the characters can use the Called Shot (p. 195) option to transfer damage types if the opponent is armored. If the opponent is unarmored, the attacking character can use the weapon in question as a club (with the Clubs skill) with an Accuracy of 3. Blades used as a club lose all Reach due to the need to hit with the pommel to be a club.
>>
When using Point Buy, is it okay to blow way too much karma (definitely above the 25 limit) on positive qualities? I had those and negative ones running fairly even at first, but after a while I ran out of stuff to spend karma on, and decided to get Aptitude and Exceptional Attribute to not waste the last 60 points.

Run Faster doesn't say anything about that, but it doesn't really mention much else, either - like if you get bonus karma from picking up negative qualities.
>>
>>43559944
>CHANGING DAMAGE TYPES
Here's the problem with that idea.

First, a Club deals Physical damage, not Stun, so that entire second half of that paragraph is worthless.

And second, the called shot it's talking about it Splitting the Damage, where you'll still kill your opponent because you're dealing 50% Physical damage, just slower.

>>43559860
>Relatedly, how would a troll with a claymore win a fight if he didn't want to chop everyone in half?
You get a stun baton or learn how to wrestle.
>>
So im making a 3e Houngan shaman and im taking the spell: Analyze device.
In the 3e core rulebook(p. 192) it states that the Target number of the spell is OR. Maybe im blind but i cant find a explanation for what that means, and ctrl+F gives me anything involving the letters or...
Help please?
Also is it considered to be special snowflake to play a Wakyambi Houngan(African elf variant and voodoo shaman)? I mean the char is South-African and has virtually no contacts(we are running in Seattle ofc) ...
>>
>>43559955
You get bonus karma. And 60 leftover karma can be a godsend. Buy a vehicle? Round out your skills? A few specializations? Fuck, a few knowledge skills?
>>
>>43559908
Opium Den in 5e, Orgasm in 4e is my favorite Illusions takedown.
>>
>>43559914
>>43559922
Fair enough. I'm a terrible minmaxer at the best of times, being not very good should be easy enough.

>>43559934
>>43559944
Excellent. Metal spankings with a 6-foot ruler it is.

>>43559908
Improved Invisibility definitely. I've got a weakness for Acid Stream, as there's so many problems that can be resolved by melting something. Mind Probe if your morals are flexible that way.
>>
>>43559968
Nope. If your Damage is lower than his armor value (after AP) you only deal Stun.

It's slow, but unless your opponent is naked, you should be able to not kill him outright. (and if he's naked, just punch!)
>>
>>43559908
Turn To Goo
Control Thoughts
Shapechange
>>
>>43559997
>If your Damage is lower than his armor value (after AP) you only deal Stun.
At which point you're dealing 50% of your weapon's base damage in Stun. It doesn't convert the Physical half over, it drops it entirely. You're strictly and entirely better off getting a stun baton.
>>
>>43559944
>hit with the pommel
>not striking with the flat of the blade or the back of a katana
>>
>>43560014
Definitely, but then again, OP was asking about turning his damage to stun with his trusty claymore.

A dedidacted non-lethal option is immensely better, but when all you have is a sword...
>>
>>43560034
>but when all you have is a sword...
...you turn its hilt into a stun baton. Electric pommel strikes.
>>
File: Troll Face.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Troll Face.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Looking for some critique on my mundane bio and cyber'd up Troll Face

Problem officer?
>>
>>43560057
>critique
If you go with the Fomorian metavariant, you can have 10 Charisma instead of 9. I mean, if you're already going that far, you may as well go all the way, right?
>>
File: 1437223832034.jpg (1 MB, 900x1463) Image search: [Google]
1437223832034.jpg
1 MB, 900x1463
>>43560034
If a stun baton is by far superior, I might go for it, I was just trying to save money.

I've never built a troll using priority before, let alone an Awakened one, I was trying to save as much money as possible.

>>43560045
Wanted to make the sword a weapon foci for extra spirit slicing; I thought about building a taser or shockglove into the hilt, but I didn't want to mess with the mojo.
>>
>>43560078
>Fomorian
could even be part of the Armstrong clan with that metavariant (I forget if they're just in Tir or also occur in the whole Isles)
>>
>>43560079
>I thought about building a taser or shockglove into the hilt, but I didn't want to mess with the mojo.
Think of it like an attachment, not like an actual part of the blade.

>>43560100
>could even be part of the Armstrong clan with that metavariant (I forget if they're just in Tir or also occur in the whole Isles)
They're not that specific. Generally speaking, if your ancestry points back to Celtic/Gaelic tribes on the British Isles, it's a good bet you can be a Fomorian.
>>
>>43560119
>Think of it like an attachment, not like an actual part of the blade.
This. It's an attached grip, not a part of the weapon focus itself. It won't get the dice pool bonus from the weapon focus when you're using the stun baton, and if you decide to pull the two apart and install a more traditional grip, the blade will remain enchanted, while the baton grip will remain mundane.

It makes perfect sense.
>>
>>43559970
Am i phrasing my questions badly or do people just ignore posts that include 3e?
I have come to you guys with alot of questions and stuff, i know this board and thread isnt just for question answering but i cant shake the feeling that the posts i post are beeing ignored. Can anyone enlighten me as to why this is?
>>
>>43560168
>Am i phrasing my questions badly
No.

>do people just ignore posts that include 3e?
Yes.

I know jack shit about 3e.

Also, it's been less than twenty minutes since you posted, just chill out, you fucking nerd.

Anyway, to comment on literally the only part that I know anything about, I see nothing wrong with playing a Wakyambi Houngan.
>>
>>43559970
>>43560168
If people played 3e they'd answer your questions, faggot.
>>
>>43560078
Because i'm making this for Runnerhub I can't because I havn't played 10 games
>>
>>43559970
Object Resistance
>>
>>43560259
>Because i'm making this for Runnerhub I can't because I havn't played 10 games
Then hold off on the concept until you have.
>>
>>43560282
The thing is the Karma cost of going fomori is like 20 karma in standard which I can not afford because i need that karma in nuyen
>>
>>43560259
>or Runnerhub I can't because I havn't played 10 games

>earning privileges to do stuff in an RP community

As much as the chaos of pickup games gets to me, I could never abide by that level of administration.
>>
>>43560307
It's because of fucking metasapients and HMVV is also tacked onto that shit.

Not to mention the shit like dryads with their symbiosis and shit sadly.

Shadownet even went that draconian route. I can't find any games on roll20 either
>>
>>43560325
Dryads have a very easy balancing factor: every dryad has distinctive quality. Also it's really easy to just say "no metasapients, no infected"
>>
>>43560339
I dont know these idiots seem to want to allow them.

I mean its not like I want to play a broken ass pixie I just want to be an Oni or a Giant but nooo you need to play 10 games because we grouped metavariants with metasapients
>>
>>43560356
I don't even see why people would allow infected at game start. I'm okay with possibly doing a game where they get infected but prebuying infected isn't even good karma-wise.
>>
>>43560293
>Karma cost of going fomori is like 20 karma

>i need that karma in nuyen
Get rid of something and buy it in-game instead. Tailored Pheromones, for example, are a good thing to be saving up for.
>>
>>43560384
>prebuying infected isn't even good karma-wise
Better than it happening in-game. Then you end up with a karma debt that you're paying off for literally the entire rest of the campaign.
>>
>>43560195
Thanks for the answer. yeah i was a tad bit fast at questioning whether people where dismissive of my post.
Lesson learned.

Does anybody know of a forum specializing in 3e?
>>
>>43560496
I think dumpshock is full of grogs
>>
>>43560542
Dumpshock is full of grogs who will defend 5e to death. You're probably more likely to find people who still play 3e on SA or Reddit than on dumpshock considered it's very, very common to defend every retarded design decision in 5e as somehow necessary to keep the game cyberpunk.
>>
>>43560576
That's--
what
If they love 5e so much why don't they just play the original
>>
>>43560618
Because where 5e is mostly unplayable, 1e was completely unplayable and that's the reason they came out with 2e so fast.
>>
Hey guys, new to Shadowrun here. Any chance someone could possibly make a .PDF of the mechanics of Shadowrun, separated from the 500+ pages of fluff? I have a dyslexic friend who wants to just get to the damn point and whoever was put in charge of organizing the manual for 5E is fucking retarded.
>>
File: Player Reference.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Player Reference.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43560851
Got you covered
>>
File: GM Reference.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GM Reference.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43560870
>>
File: Combat.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Combat.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43560882
>>
>>43560882
You are a motherfucking livesafer. Thank you.
>>
File: Combat 2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Combat 2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43560898
>>43560901
But wait, there's more!

>>43560851
Download chummer from the OP. Chargen made simple! (note: not a replacement for the book)
>>
File: Magic.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Magic.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43560916
There's a lot more, actually.
>>
File: Matrix.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Matrix.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43560936
>>
File: Rigger.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Rigger.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43560950
>>
>>43559860
>problems with spirits

Do they not full auto? Also, roll up an exorcist mage instead. Go full van helsing. Do it. You know you want to.

>>43560576
Wat? Last time I checked DS, the general consensus was 5e is shit.
>>
File: Rigger 2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Rigger 2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43560967
These god damn riggers...
>>
File: Quick Enemies.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Quick Enemies.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43560987
That's all she wrote. Have fun!
>>
>>43559860
>>2786045

so I remembered correctly
>>
>>43561154
oops

meant
>>>/vr/2786045
>>
>>43561011
Why are trolls slower? Wouldn't they be faster because they have longer legs?
>>
>>43561427
Because they don't have longer legs. They have gorilla-like arms and short legs, so they waddle around like a gigantic dwarf.
>>
>>43561427
>Why are trolls slower?
Because it's based on Agility.
>>
>>43561427
Trolls should definitely be faster than Dwarves and afaik they are in the 4AE tables, they do, however, carry a ton of excess body, a lot of which is not actually muscle, compared to elves and orcs who are almost as tall but leaner.
>>
>>43560979

Damnit, now I want to go full van helsing and I just got here.
>>
>>43561455

I'm going to have to find some way of using "troll=giant dwarf" now...
>>
>>43561532
>Damnit, now I want to go full van helsing
Be a Mystic Adept, but invest fucking nothing insofar as Sorcery or Summoning is concerned.

Instead, go full into Assensing, Banishing, and Counterspelling instead, then spend most of the rest of your time being an Adept.

Make sure you buy lots of Arcana and Knowledge skills too.

When forced to advertise yourself, advertise yourself as a 'Witch-hunter, Exorcist, and Ghost-buster,' rather than as a mage or whatever.
>>
>>43561579
What you just described is the best friend a party of runners can have.
>>
>>43561579
That sounds fucking amazing.
>>
>>43561579

Alright, this is happening.

Advice on adept powers? I will fully damnit that I suck at making Adept of any kind. I'm assuming at LEAST initiative booster 3.
>>
>>43561579
Well, even at Magic C you still get 5 spells, so you've got to invest in something. Probably just the barest utility spells you can? Heal, a bunch of Detection spells, that kind of thing. Then spend, like, only a single skill point on Sorcery, and ignore it whenever possible, I guess? It'd be nice if you could be an Aspected Mystic Adept or some shit.

Go Attributes A, Skills B, Magic C, Human D (spend all of your points on Magic 6), and Resources E.
>>
>>43561735

Fully admit*.

I am on my phone and haven't even gotten out of bed yet.
>>
>>43561736

Personally, I would go with spells that you wouldn't use in the middle of combat period. So, yeah, heal, detection, maybe even some manipulation. Shit you could take your time doing
>>
>>43561736

Would you still use that pattern for sum-to-10?
>>
>>43561785
Not him, but if it's Van Helsing we're speaking of I'd go B Attribs, B Skills, C magic C human E resources to give him more Edge.
>>
>>43561735
Improved Reflexes 3 (3.5 PP).
Combat Sense 1 (.5 PP) to guarantee that you always get a Perception Test before a Surprise Test.
Attribute Boost 1 in all 4 Physical Attributes (1 PP) to get cheap augmentation at 1 Drain apiece. You roll Attribute Boost 1 + Magic 6 and get your hits added to your Attribute for twice your hits in combat rounds. It's cheap, but good, and your odds of actually taking drain are borderline nonexistent.
And then you have 1 PP left over to spend on whatever you want. I'd go with Critical Strike (Blades) and Enhanced Perception, personally, but you should season to flavor.

>>43561785
Yes, because that gets you the minimum number of spells known while still having Magic 6, and gets you an astounding number of Attribute points to minimize your weaknesses, since you need to be a good all-arounder. Remember, though, that you have to buy your starting PP for 5 karma apiece - you're not going to have many positive qualities - and can only get additional PP through Initiation.
>>
>>43561837

Sounds fair to me. Those 4 points in attributes aren't the biggest, I wouldn't think.

What tradition? Christian Thurge seems mandatory for helsing, but if you wanted to be subtle about it... what about shinto? They got spirit banishing in lore. Could even go around with Banishing Ofuda (or whatever those tags are called) for fluff.
>>
>>43561873
Onmyoudou would be great
>>
>>43561859

How does drain work on a Mysadept? Do they roll 2 separate drains, one for adept powers (body/will) and one for their tradition for spells and shit? Or would it all be the soak for being an adept?
>>
>>43561918
>Do they roll 2 separate drains, one for adept powers (body/will) and one for their tradition for spells and shit?
Yes.

And since you're going to be investing in Assensing but not Summoning, I'd encourage you to go with an Intuition tradition - probably Chaos Magic, John Constantine style.
>>
>>43562008

Makes sense. If he's fighting spirits of all traditions, he might as well know how all those traditions work
>>
>>43562232
Exactly. Catholic exorcism, Shinto spirit banishment, Feng Shui aura-reading, god-fighting techniques from the heart of Africa's bush, and so on. All condensed into a singularly-capable expert in counter-magic, spirit-exorcism, and combat.

Just make sure you get a weapon focus. You probably won't have it during chargen, but it'll definitely be one of your character's personal motivations to find a powerful one to add to their personal kit.
>>
>>43562273

For some reason, I see him trying to grab a two-handed blade and naming it Caladbolg
>>
>>43562349
>Caladbolg
Probably a poor choice. Excalibur has already appeared in Shadowrun's canon, and is currently wielded by Harlequin, as an unusually potent weapon focus.

Definitely the right angle, though - try to find an existing legendary weapon rather than making one from scratch.

That way you get to go on a run to steal it from whatever tomb, museum, or private collection it's currently in.
>>
>>43562349
I'd switch to C Elf in that case but that's probably just me.
>>
>>43562381
>and is currently wielded by Harlequin
Last game I ran I just treated it as a fake he had crafted in the 21st century and went with the "Harlequin is actually a number of copycats motivated by his extremely self-serving memoirs, the real Harlequin died before the awakening, the fucking end"
>>
>>43562381

Alright, didn't know that.

How often do people use Spears in Shadowrun? Getting ahold of Gungnir sounds like it would be hilarious
>>
>>43562408

Ya know, the plot there was good enough without "the fucking end" making you sound so angry about it. I mean, don't get me wrong. I get it. It just would have looked better without it.
>>
>>43562381
Trying to steal one is just asking for trouble; any weapon focus worth the trouble of grabbing is going to have a ton of security who will not stop until they have it back, for religious reasons if nothing else. You're going to have to wave the weapon around during your runs, sooner or later someone will recognize it from camera footage.

A lot easier just to hire a talismonger to make one for you.

>>43562430
The collapsible spear is nice, but a lot of runners don't use regular spears because they're tricky to sneak around.
>>
>>43562381
He might want to try and get his hands on Tizon, (one of the two) sword from El Cid.

Tizon ('Torch, firebrand' in spanish) would be a fitting weapon to fight the "undead".
>>
>>43562430
>How often do people use Spears in Shadowrun?
Almost not at all.

>Getting ahold of Gungnir sounds like it would be hilarious
Yeah, it sounds fucking rad. Supposedly Highland Forge also produces the 'Nippon Steel Nodachi,' so I'd probably use the stats for that for the base of a rad artifact spear.

>>43562456
>A lot easier just to hire a talismonger to make one for you.
And entirely less interesting/rad.

Steal one that doesn't have a current owner, if you're that worried about it. Spend money doing legwork on tracking down an ancient tomb that might have the weapon you want undiscovered within it.
>>
>>43562453
The long version is slightly better written and less angry, it basically takes after Casanova's memoirs except rediscovered by an italian rare books collector sometime after 2018.

Rewriting minor or incredibly annoying setting elements to fit a better idea is something I do all the time (I rewrote two clan backstories in my last Vampire game to be slightly closer to RL history in subtle ways)
>>
So... is there, at any point, a problem with having reach? It seems like it let's you attack from that many spaces away, AND the reach score is a penalty against the opponents defence I'd they get too close.

Things like that usually punish players if they get too close, don't they?
>>
>>43562480
>Steal one that doesn't have a current owner

Does that count as stealing?

I'm all for tomb-robbing if you don't mind getting D&D in your Shadowrun, but it seems like it would be a lot of work and expense to find one that no corp or nation already knows about/has exploited that still has a weapon foci worth the thieving. It would have to be something legendary for it to have any inherent magic.
>>
>>43562551
>from that many spaces away
No? Reach is always a defense modifier(positive or negative), Shadowrun doesn't work with a grid or anything, the rules are built for theater of the mind.
>>
>>43562593

That many meters.

Sorry, old DnD habits die hard. But alright. Seems like you'd almost always have the advantage with a spear. Given its long reach
>>
>>43562566
>it seems like it would be a lot of work and expense
Yup. The footwork would probably cost, say, exactly as much as just buying it outright would have cost in the first place, once it's all put together, across the various stages and prep-runs.

And the run itself would probably award, say, exactly as much Karma as it takes to attune to the weapon, when it's all said and done.

But it would make a way, way better story, at the end of the day.

I'm a big sucker for teammate runs - stealing the deckers a new deck, finding the samurai's missing daughter, helping the team exorcist research and then explore a long-lost tomb in search of a magical treasure, and so forth. Loyalty missions, in video game terms. They're fun, and I think they add depth to the setting and the characters, and serve to make the characters more realized within the world at large.

But hey, maybe that's just me.
>>
>>43562626
Yeah, even a Monofilament Whip doesn't have the reach that a Polearm has.
>>
>>43562626
If you're attacking someone unarmed, then yes, you'd always get the reach advantage. Someone with a katana would provide a smaller advantage, someone with another spear would provide no advantage. Reach is the difference between the Reach of both combatants, positive or negative, applied to the defense roll, distance doesn't have anything to do with it. I always forget to apply it to my Sam, and I have a god damn Claymore. Would really make things a lot easier if I was more consistent.
>>
File: My Nigga.jpg (29 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
My Nigga.jpg
29 KB, 600x400
>>43562652
>>
>>43562706
>>43562626
>>43562593
First of all Reach actually does affect the use of the Intercept action. You can only use it on someone passing withing 1+Reach meters of you.

Aside from that, though, yes, you either apply your net Reach (your Reach minus their Reach) as a bonus to your own Defense, or as a penalty to their Defense.
>>
>>43562652
>alright, guys, here's the deal
>after all that legwork you helped me with, I've managed to track down a tomb that I'm about 75% sure has the spear I'm looking for within it
>now, I can't afford to pay you like a proper run; I'll cover transportation, medical and ammunition costs, and other expenses along the way, mind you
>but I'll let you guys take all the valuables we find in the tomb for yourself - if there are any magical objects in there, especially the spear, that will be my entire cut, no matter how much or little additional loot there is in there
>I've got a buyer lined up for any items of historical value that we find in there, which you guys are free to use as a fence for your cuts of the haul
>so, what do you guys say, want to go raid a tomb?
10/10, would shop with again.
>>
>>43562652
>I'm a big sucker for teammate runs
Me too. Great way to get those big ticket items, expensive augments, power foci, niche vehicles like boats or VTOLs... Sure, they usually have different consequencies compared to normal runs, but the rewards are usually worth it, and it's likely a thousand times cheaper than whatever you are trying to get.
>>
>>43562838

11/10 would run with.
>>
>>43562593
Forgive me for the dumb question, but without a grid, how do you handle cover/ranges/movement/etc? I have yet to actually get to play.
>>
>>43563052
>but without a grid, how do you handle cover/ranges/movement/etc?
You keep track of what the GM said about where things are and how far away they are?
>>
Not gonna post a Step-by-step progress, but I'm currently working on that Chaos Mysadept banisher and... Yeah, this is not easy by any means, lol. Attributes are my biggest weakness by far, so, could I get some advice? Went with the sum-to-10 CBCBE, so only 20 attributes (but 5 special for being human)

Body :3 (2)
Agility :3 (2)
Reaction :3 (2)
Strength :4 (3)
Willpower :6 (5)
Logic :2 (1)
Intuition :4 (4)
Charisma :2 (1)
Edge :4 (2)
Magic :6 (3)

Number is the final attribute, and the parenthesis is how many points went into it.

I decided to stick willpower as the highest attribute since it will be handy for both the Magic-side drain, as well as the Adept-side drain, plus it is nice to have for mind-affecting spells thrown at you by other mages/critters/spirits.

Everything else I tried to keep kinda average. 2 logic because he is prone to just "doing shit" not thinking it through, and 2 charisma because he's not much of a looker or a talker.

Thoughts?
>>
>>43563176
I'd switch to Attributes A if I were you, using this layout:
>>43561736

Anyway, if you going to go as low as 2 in an attribute, go all the way to 1 - they'll be (relatively) cheap to buy up later if you want to.

With Attributes A, you can get:
Body 5
Agility 5
Reaction 4
Strength 5
Charisma 1
Intuition 6
Logic 1
Willpower 5

And that's perfect for what you're trying to be. If you want to, you can spend 10 karma per attribute in-play to knock Logic and/or Charisma up to 2.

And the same goes for Edge - you can buy that up in-play if Edge 2 proves to be too little for you.

But what you're trying to do really is attribute intensive, and I'd strongly urge you to build a strong base for your character that can be built on later in-play.
>>
>>43563277
>Reaction 4
>Intuition 6
That's enough to be guaranteed two initiative passes BEFORE Adept powers come into the equation, since you'd be looking at a minimum Initiative of 11. 13+4d6 with the adept powers included. That'd be really good for a warrior-type who plans on investing in Assensing and has an Intuition Tradition.
>>
>>43563086
At that point, why not just have a map? The GM is gonna need one to keep track anyway...
>>
>>43563277

Alright, this works well enough. My last few characters have been sailing on 1 edge, so having 2 is gonna feel like a miracle. I'll make it work.

Gonna work on the Skills and such now. thanks for the advice.
>>
>>43563313
My group uses a map whenever positions get weird, such as a fight starting with two mobsters surrounded by the team, knowing who's on their backs and who's on their sides would be great. Otherwise it's all abstracted, distance only ever comes up when the Sam asks if his run speed covers enough distance to the target, and even then he runs pretty fast so it's usually a non-ambiguous 'yes'.
>>
>>43563403
Makes sense, I suppose, though positioning still seems iffy.
>>
>>43563462

My GM does something similar. If its a small fight that's really straight forward, he won't bother with a direct map, just some tokens on the board representing general positions.

But when heavy tactics are involved he goes full grid
>>
>>43563349
>My last few characters have been sailing on 1 edge, so having 2 is gonna feel like a miracle. I'll make it work.
And if it doesn't work? It's only 15 karma to get Edge 3 - not that you'll need it too often, with stats that high.

>Gonna work on the Skills and such now. thanks for the advice.
No problem, mate.

If you're unsure of where to put your 5 Skill Group points, I'd put all 5 in the Stealth skill group, personally, but my GM allows me to substitute Automatics for Pistols/Longarms at a fairly forgiving rate. If yours doesn't, I'd put those five in Firearms.
>>
>>43563462
2 campaigns in, my players like the abstract feel and (unless i have a few too many drinks) an initative order listing players and npcs has sufficed.

Admittedly, pink mohawk runners don't into tactics ANYWAY.
>>
>>43563615

I was actually thinking at sticking them in the Enchanting skill group. I know Alchemy is Shit, but it seems flavorful for him to be skilled with making magical shit, especially creating/dismantling Foci.

I'll probably only grab the Heal spell for Alchemy to make a couple drinks before-hand, though
>>
>>43563628
>He's not playing Pink Trenchcoat

Best of both worlds, omae.
>>
>>43563628
Ah, yeah. We're leaning hard towards trenchcoating it up. Probably explains why a map sounds better to us.

and because the other players are 3.5E grognards
>>
>>43563670

>"You guys never have a plan, you just go in, guns blazing!"

"We DO TOO have a plan, every time!"

>"What was your plan for that warehouse run, huh?

"Go in, Guns blazing"
>>
>>43563667
>I'll probably only grab the Heal spell for Alchemy to make a couple drinks before-hand, though
See, that's actually a great idea. I was running up against the 'you have to have 5 spells' thing earlier, but that could actually work out if you take some of those spells as alchemical preparations instead.

That said, don't make Heal one of those Alchemical spells - it's way too reliant on net hits. Pick spells where your net hits don't factor too heavily into the spell's effects - ones where basic success/failure are the bigger determining factors.

Alchemy is great, for once, because we can allocate resources to it that we didn't want in the first place.
>>
>>43563690
This is my group, lol
>>
>>43563690
Hey. As long as it's plan B, it's still a plan. Always incorporate shooting your way in/out into a plan, even if it's just the backup option, otherwise you won't be prepared when someone inevitably starts shooting.
>>
>>43563729
>>43563743
>>43563690

Personally, I always wanted to make a cybered-out Troll who dual-wielded miniguns

Maximum full-auto.
>>
File: New Canvas.png (54 KB, 358x373) Image search: [Google]
New Canvas.png
54 KB, 358x373
Hey, chummers. How do I negotiate adequate rates with my fellow runners?

I'm in a situation where my character has to work with another 2 characters and we haven't yet formed a solid team. So anon_A's character calls me and offers a job, namely retrieving some small relic from a private collection. He offers 1000 ¥ + any stuff I can get. But it seemed odd since I can't really carry a lot stuff (I'm a gunbunny, have to carry 2 weapons with me all the time and it's heavy), so I offered 3000 ¥ +25% from selling all valuable trinkets etc. After which anon_A asked DM OOC 'Well, I sort of cheated him good, right?', to which DM replied 'Yeah'.

Maybe I'm just being petty.
>>
>>43563726

Never really done Alchemy before (I was always told it sucked and never do it), so, which preps would you recommend for it?
>>
>>43563773
A private collection probably comes with some nifty small shit.

That said 1000+bonus is shit, I wouldn't take a job that doesn't cover at least a month of low to mid rent.
>>
>>43563773

If you team is intentionally cutting your pay and cheating you out of the bottom dollar, there's a problem, especially if you're a Nuyen reliant character. It wouldn't be as big of a deal for a mage class who mostly needs karma over nuyen but... yeah, when he flat out states he cheated you, I'd be pretty pissed.
>>
>>43563773
>>43563819
No reason to be "pissed". File it away, remember it for later and when he needs rescuing...

Don't.
or make him actually pay for it.
>>
>>43563804
It's honestly a generalized problem, the value of karma just doesn't compare to what a sam needs for cyber unless you start substituting all your Karma for cash (which I guess the bonus would represent mechanically), at which point you need to make a choice between hitting peak human condition of being wholly cyber dependent.
>>
Post above was meant to be for>>43563819 but I'm an idiot apparently.
>>
How do you refer to Mr. Johnsons? I mean, there's going to be at least two of them in the campaign I'm going to run. If they're going to introduce themselves as Mr. Johnson, and they're not going to give further details about themselves, how are my players going to tell them apart? Let alone speak about them without getting confused about who's who.
>>
>>43563983
Physical descriptors, if you're talking to each other and not to the J himself? Like, they're not physically identical, right?
>>
>>43563983

To differentiate between them, my group usually refers to them as "The Elf Johnson" or "The Ares Johnson" or "The Magic Johnson" (I swear that was an accident, and the group would never let anyone live it down).
>>
Thanks for your replies

>>43563804
Yeah, didn't think of this.

>>43563819
>>43563956
We'll see.

>>43563961
I believe our GM can handle giving me what I want :7
>>
>>43564023
>>43564010
Thanks. I feel terribly retarded now.
>>
>>43563726

Not that guy, but, don't ALL spells rely heavily on Net hits? I can't think of any spells that are worth it, just by being "so so"
>>
>>43564150

It's alright, omae. Sometimes the obvious answers hide the best
>>
How do I turn off the level scaling in Hong Kong?
This dumb shit completely broke my second playthrough where I wanted to focus on my less developed skills like magic. Now I can barely damage enemies on the the FIRST FUCKING STAGE and everyone gets slaughtered.
>>
>>43560356

If metavarients were allowed form the get-go, you'd have a bunch of absurd characters, like Hanumen technomancers, or Nocturna shooting adepts. People would be more encouraged to play for dice pools than for characters.
>>
>>43564663
With Bamce around on Runnerhub, you already have to play for dice pools. The guy won't approve your character if it isn't optimised.
>>
>>43560079
>/pol/ discovers Humanis
>>
>>43560967
>>43560987

Dear god, you are amazing. I thought Autosofts couldn't be upgraded, so I was pretty pissed thinking that drones could never really be improved. Where do you find the cost of upgrading Autosofts in the rulebook?
>>
>>43564720
In the Errata, IIRC.
>>
File: laughter.gif (2 MB, 390x277) Image search: [Google]
laughter.gif
2 MB, 390x277
>>43564684

I had the misfortune of that guy looking over my sheet once. Hol-ee crap, I thought I'd met some passive-aggressive bitches before, but that guy ranks in the top five.
>>
>>43564856

Ah, now I see it in the rulebook. Fuck, either I'm an idiot or the book is pretty scattered about. Probably a bit of both. Thanks for the .pdfs though.
>>
File: Kim~Ranger.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Kim~Ranger.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43564893
Holy shit, this is Bamce's actual character on Runnerhub. I'm fucking bawling, this is incredible.
>>
File: ZruyjlQl9NE.jpg (274 KB, 1187x863) Image search: [Google]
ZruyjlQl9NE.jpg
274 KB, 1187x863
Chummers, can you advice me any interesting runs involving gangs? I seem to lack good ideas. Also, why would a gang kidnap someone?
>>
>>43564971

Ya know... I'm a furry, and this is disgusting to me. Like... Jesus christ. What? This doesn't even really feel like a character to me (though I admit I'm having a little trouble reading this character sheet).

Also, what is runnerhub?
>>
>>43565058
Runnerhub is one of the two "living campaigns" on Reddit. It's all self-contained missions, usually single session. Characters are persistent between missions though, and missions have lasting effects. (The other one is Shadownet, which is a lot less popular.) Tl;dr it's Shadowrun's mercenary-style teams writ large.

And yeah, Hero Lab sheets suck. But that's what Runnerhub uses most.
>>
>>43565003

The target is bait for a bigger ploy.

The target is the only one who can fix the boss' ride in time for the big showdown with the Trolls' Angels.

The target is rich and unprotected, and thus easily intimidated into paying up. Repeatedly.
>>
>>43565088
Well I'm kinda glad Runnerhub exists to absorb some of the more annoying trenchfags
>>
>>43565088

It sounds like it could be fun, I suppose. But I would think you would need a lot of trust with people to do shit like that.
>>
File: what is this drama.png (98 KB, 1040x984) Image search: [Google]
what is this drama.png
98 KB, 1040x984
>>43565136
>>43565143

And then you get their "in-character JackPoint thread".
>>
>>43565143
This honestly sounds like it would be like the worst convention games in terms of "get shot if you don't roll 20d" bullshit.

>>43564971
I have trouble telling wtf the character is supposed to be at a glance, and it's not just the hero labs shittiness.

This is a guy who hates players rolling non min-maxed chars?
>>
>>43565196
Generally he is, yeah. And then he rolls out a furry's wet dream... who's shit at everything.
>>
File: Temp.jpg (122 KB, 1000x1080) Image search: [Google]
Temp.jpg
122 KB, 1000x1080
Okay, I'm a trash human, but Mei has made me want to make some sort of cold-weather expert in SR.

Aside from 'Ork/Ogre with some cold weather bioware/genetic adaption to make a cuddly yeti' I'm dry on inspiration, though. Any suggestions for a skill-set?
>>
>>43565215

See

>>43565058
>>
>>43565173
See, this is why JackPoint is a bad influence on our children.
My god did these kids just graduate from Gaia Online?
>>
>>43565003
>A new drug-dealing gang is selling on the local cartel's turf, and his product's quality is suspiciously good for the price they're selling. The cartel's underboss wants the runners to find the gang's druglab by any memes necessary and find out why their drugs are so good, putting them out of business in the process

>A renowned Yakuza boss was brutally murdered by one of the 'workers' at a Bunraku parlour, and a postmortem on the worker reveals her personafix chip to have been sabotaged to induce homicidal urges upon hearing a specific word. With his reputation on the line, the former boss' second-in-command wants the runners to investigate and find out who assassinated their boss

>A famous mafia-don dies under strange circumstances, and only a month later has a production company decided to make a film based on the crime-lord's life, starring a famous actor whose appearance is a dead-ringer for the dead Don. Unfortunately, said actor is forcefully taken by the remnants of the dead don's dimwitted underlings, who without knowing about the film are convinced that the actor IS their don, having survived all this time but suffering amnesia. The actor's agent wants his star client back, and is willing to pay mondo cash to have it done.
>>
>>43565118
>>43565352
Seems legit, thanks. I'm trying to make up a rather street-level run. The bike option seems good.

Currently thinking about such plot, it might be very inconsistent:

say, Johnson's neighbour is a prostitute whose bf is from Vory (not shestiorka, not yet a solid rank - but rising). She does or used to do drugs, he doesn't know \ care a lot, and he doesn't know about her drug debt for some seller who operates on a %gangname%'s turf.

Time for paying runs out and gang kidnaps her, then they give her a day to contact any of her acquaintances to get money together or, uhm, they'll just have some fun with her for several days and write off 50% of the debt, then let her go away - for a time. She tries to reach her BF but he's unavailable (in another city on a job).

Johnson wants players to hand some of his money to the gang and retrive the girl before shit hits the fan when her BF returns (big conflict between gang and Vory? also Johnson wants Vory's favor)
>>
>>43565344

Oh god, why did you have to remind me Gaia Online even existed!?
>>
So what happens if your Runner gets arrested? Like by KE or LS?

First off, if he's SiNless I assume they'd confiscate anything restricted he has, his licenses aren't valid. But do yo uget arrested for just not having a SiN? Do they bother processing you if it's relatively innocuous? Can you get away with a bribe to get your shit back?
>>
>>43565236
Athletics and Outdoor group.
Lots of cold-weather gear.

I wouldn't bother with arctic 'ware.
Unless you're spending your entire life there, then gear will usually be sufficient.
>>
>>43565731
He gets arrested.
Being SINless in an area where you need to broadcast your SIN is a crime.

All his shit is taken, and Restricted and Forbidden item are enough for massive fines or imprisonment.
He gets a Criminal SIN and dumped in jail until they can figure out what to do with you.

If you've got powerful contracts in the CopCorp, you could probably get them to let you out, and "misplace" your file before you get a Criminal SIN.

Otherwise you might need your pals to break you out, then perform a rail on their system to delete your records yourself.
>>
>tfw I just realized I was using 3e's old initiative pass rules in 4e
welp, I guess there is at least one more rules change I don't mind in 5th
>>
>>43565849
Ehhh I don't know they would toss a valuable asset like a Shadowrunner into jail nor hamstring them with a criminal SiN. Better to recruit (forcibly if necessary) to work for you.
>>
>>43566076

you weren't that good of a runner if you got caught.
>>
>>43566076
You're not a valuable asset. Jumped up barren rats who think they're good with shit are a dime a dozen. You're slightly better but they can still pick them off the streets if they really need.

How much they care about you depends a lot on what you bring to them.
>>
>>43566123
This, honestly.

Plus every Runner worth his salt will have like, 3 corps (or at least execs) who will pay very good money for KE to hand him over to them on the down-low.
>>
>>43566123
>>43566143
>>43566147
Disagree, shit happens. From character creation you can build an street sam that could break a Red Samurai in half, a mage that can burn a dozen wage mages to cinders, or a decker that could cut through the matrix security of most AA corps.

Sure it looks bad if you get busted, but if you look at even the most successful career criminals, everyone gets pinched. You'll have enemies that want you dead, absolutely, but chances are they have enemies that will want your help.
>>
>>43565786
Arctic Survival is pretty brutal, though. The threshold for survival in those areas is four hits!

Take a pretty exceptional 5 willpower/6 Survival character who's geared out with a coldsuit or polar-survival suit and has a polar survival kit.They're going to be tossing sixteen dice, eleven from the stat/skill, four from survival gear, and one from your warmed clothing.
This means they can just buy the four hits they need to live day-to-day... as long as they don't take any dice pool negatives from 'Extended travel or exertion', or even the weather turning bad.
>>
>>43566282

The question isn't of how good or bad the character is. In the setting, if you're caught, then you weren't a good runner.

That will be the thought process of KE as they slip a mage-hood over your pyromage, or tase your street sam into a drooling mess. If THEY caught you (Probably not even their elite members) then what use would they have for you?

And yeah, I know some GM's could work it in there as 'disposable asset" but I'm talking in general.
>>
>>43566336
That's why living without any established residence in the Arctic indefinitely isn't a good idea.

Alternatively, add on a little Magician skill and it becomes infinitely easier.
>>
File: rangaku.png (6 KB, 182x323) Image search: [Google]
rangaku.png
6 KB, 182x323
Rate my (hopefully) reoccurring rogue AI villain.

Rangaku. Developed by Fuchi in order to analyze social media and advertising reactions to predict technology trends, it was mothballed as a failure in 2055 as it became to focused on the "human condition." After the acquisition of Fuchi by Shiawase, it was reactivated in 2062 an upgraded with modern knowbot technology, this produced a vast leap in its predictive capabilities. In 2071 it was discovered that Rangaku had been manipulating testing data and had been largely falsifying the accuracy of its predictive capabilities. Post Crash 2.0 and with the emergence of other AIs, Shiawase to attempted to pull the plug on Rangaku who managed to escape into the corporate intranet. After killing several corporate white hats it vanished into the new wireless matrix.

Rangaku is deeply inquisitive and is obsessed with all things human. As an AI it has no regard for human life and is more curious about human's reactions to outside stimuli than the humans themselves. It desires, more than anything, a physical form and an ability to exist in the meatworld.

Interactions with it are troubling, it learned its social skills from online interactions on social media and forums, thus it has determined to be human is to brag, insult, and generally berate anyone who is willing to listen. Thus it is vulgar at best and deeply offensive at worst. It regards almost all other life forms as beneath it and is fascinated by human's reactions, and is constantly attempting to get a rise out of people.

Crunchwise I have no idea how this would work in 5e, but whatever I'll bullshit my way through.
>>
>>43566735
So literally your AI grew up on the chans...
>>
File: Internet Punches.png (20 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
Internet Punches.png
20 KB, 400x388
>>43565173
I'm having flashbacks to a Vampire freeform board.
>>
Is essence a known, measurable, quantifiable entity within the realm of Shadowrun, or is it just a vague term that only really exists mechanically?

I'm trying to justify how my character won't get a new bit of ware that he can afford, since I know that it would bring his essence to 0
>>
>>43567235
It's a known thing, it's measurable in broad lines, it's also sort of noticeable. It's just not absolutely quantifiable.
>>
>>43567343
So everyone who's got an adept or mage with exactly one essence worth of 'ware is BAD AT ROLEPLAYING
>>
File: 1375849666243.png (323 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1375849666243.png
323 KB, 600x400
>>43567235
His doctors would give him a stern talking to. Even if they don't have a mage on staff to assense him and see the damage to his soul, they know that too much cyberware can likely kill a person. They've read books on magical theory as it relates to ware, they know the warning signs.

They can't perfectly measure when you hit the zero threshold, but they know that you're damn close.

>>43567387
I always fluffed it as 'they can feel the damage being done to them, and they might look at their own aura and see the scars'. The easy breaks of Essence and Magic stats are just mechanical, yeah, but they can feel the burnout happening.
>>
>>43567235
I think so. You can measure it with Assensing.
>>
>>43567387
Oh, characters who get too cybered up lose their fucking minds. That's the big danger there.
>>
>>43567387
A single point of ware isn't entirely bad roleplaying, but like, you're talking about someone who is going to hit 0, you're not merely affecting your aura, you should be at a point where even mundanes realize shit is off about you.
>>
So again, out of curiosity, is there a way to do an aspected magician, in 5e, that's actually aspects rather than just one skill group?

i.e. be able to summon one elemental type and the spell category that's tied to it in your tradition? I was vaguely hoping to find it in Street Grimoire but it seems almost as badly edited as the core book.
>>
>>43567620
I thought being aspected meant you could ONLY summon but not cast spells, or vice versa. Or ONLY enchant. Is it even more narrow than that?
>>
>>43566821
Ostensibly, yes.
>>
>>43567661
It works like you say: One skill group. I think that Anon is asking for someone who can ONLY summon ONE type of spirit/cast ONE type of spell.
>>
>>43560057
Radical Prejudices against other possible player characters probably won't fly.

If you're trying to get this past runnerhub, I'm pretty sure they banned Born Rich

Maybe pick up a gun skill if you have points? Punches don't work when you're not in front of the enemy.

Bargaining is for buying stuff, contracts is for cutting Deals with Mr. J

You have 2 dice on perception, that could get you geeked.

He looks like a pretty cool dude other than that.
>>
>>43567661
No, you're right. >>43567620 wants something that doesn't exist, other than being a full mage and restricting your choices for RP reasons.

And there are no spell categories tied to tradition in 5e, anon; there's some preferred spells that will help you get the tradition's flavour, but no mechanics tied to those selections.
>>
>>43567661
It had a different meaning before 5e. You could pick the 5e version of it, at least in 4th, but in general aspected meant that you were tied to one of the elements within your tradition, you were significantly better at it, but could try to do things outside your aspect (you just took a massive penalty that made it mostly worthless)
>>
>>43567715
>And there are no spell categories tied to tradition in 5e
The spell categories and element concordances are still in the rules, Elemental Aspects were in the rules as well before 5th, which is what I'm looking for, not "something that doesn't exist".
>>
>>43567792
Could probably just houserule it in, then.
>>
>>43567792
You're looking for something that doesn't exist in 5e. I would have thought you could have inferred that from the rest of the post, but apparently not.

Spells are divided along the lines of Detection, Manipulation, etc., but there's no way to attune to a specific category. You could get Spirit Affinity for a specific kind of spirit, and Spirit Bane for all the others. You could also try that quality that gives you an elemental affinity at the cost of taking that elements' damage type in drain, but it's not quite the same.
>>
What music would you guys use in your campaigns/sessions?
>>
>>43567920
Sorry, I misread then

>>43567905
Honestly the way aspect has been turned in 5e makes it feel like there's no point ever picking an aspected magician over literally anything else.
>>
>>43567951
Yeah, it's literally a trap option, but I imagine it's always been in there purely for flavor.
>>
>>43567951
Aspected is pretty lousy for most runners outside of niche builds like a dedicated healer or a mage Van Helsing.

Good for NPCs, though.
>>
>>43567932

Look up the Glitch Mob.

My GM is also prone to using songs from an anime called Psychopass
>>
>>43567932
Jeff Williams from RvB, or Payday soundtrack if you want something a bit less thrashy.
>>
>>43567932
Madworld/Max Anarchy OST
>>
>>43567932
Phantogram, Crystal Castles, Fatima al Qadiri, St. Germain, Boards of Canada, Lone

From movies and games I've used the SR Games' soundtracks, Firelake esp. the three songs they made for Stalker, the full soundtrack of Lola Rennt, a couple other things.

It's the main background although I've mixed it up with other stuff for appropriate situations.
>>
>>43565196

It's really weird. The people in those living campaigns will pull a bunch of excuses for not letting you play.

"If you're not effective, that would get your other teammates killed, and they'd be upset with you."

It's a freaking game. I don't care if my character dies, if he deserves. Neither should they. This isn't a MOBA, literally nothing is on the line if something bad happens in-game, unless you're really attached to your character I guess. And if you can't handle your character dying, don't play Shadowrun.

"1 in a stat is considered super low. All your stats should be at least 2."

Yes, 1 is low. If I want my guy to be absolutely retarded, I'll give him a 1 in logic. If my character is as strong as a little girl, I'll give them 1 strength. There is sometimes no reason, roleplay or mechanics-wise, a stat needs to be higher.

"You should pick up extra skills, just so you have them. You need [insert a bunch of skills here]."

Why would my 8 foot, 500lb, mini gun-weilding troll know anything about sneaking?

The people in the living campaigns focus so much on optimization, they forget they're playing a game to experience a cool story, and roleplay a cool character, not masturbate to large dicepools and the image of the character in their own heads while grunting what their 16 year-old catgirl does this turn.
>>
>>43568233
I'm mostly okay asking players to diversify skills a bit. On the other hand so long as your backstory makes sense (and in a lot of ways "dude who basically acts like freelance corpsec" makes a lot less sense than "former wageslave who decided to say fuck the bosses" in my view) I don't really care unless I get a party full of one archetype.

My personal ideal has never been particularly optimized, "mediocre face with a pistol and a few augs", although I've done sword adepts and other shit (never primary hackers because the rules make me want to slice my wrists no matter the edition).
>>
>>43568438

Personally, I don't like over optimizing. It just feels like you're creating an Arms Race with your GM and (possibly) the other players and at that point, you've kinda lost sight on why you're playing the game.
>>
>>43568493
Yeah, I like to stick to core grunts and not go particularly crazy, I keep a bunch of quick stats for named chars (fairly interchangeable).

It doesn't help that the devs also do that stupid arms race in most editions. Mercurial infamously had enemies with grade 3 initiative boosters all over the place, 4e's locale books also seem to do this shit (Land of Promise has rating 2-4 grunts with IP boosts, something that core doesn't have).

I generally just tend to be happy they make it through the stories.
>>
>>43568493
In an arms race with a GM, there is no winning. No matter the game, you can't win. Playing 2000 exp Solar Exalted Dawn Caste elders? He can throw 3000 exp ones at you, etc. In SR it is even easier since there's always a higher class of weapons or dragons than what the party works at.
>>
>>43561579
This sounds so fun.
>>
>>43561579
Isn't Banishing a trap option?
>>
File: Temp.jpg (48 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
Temp.jpg
48 KB, 460x345
>>43568621
>higher class of [..] dragons
>>
>>43569106

Still building him. I'm stuck on Alchemical preps (Decided to stick the 5 skill group points I got into Enchanting, since I thought making and breaking magical items seemed relevant and flavorful, plus it gives a use to the 5 floating spells for being rating C in magic).

>>43569176
No, it really isn't.
>>
>>43569342
Don't take Alchemy. You're basically cutting your dice pool in half if you use a preparation instead of just casting a spell.
>>
>>43569342
re: Banishing
Please run the numbers by me? I was of the understanding that most Mages would be facing hefty Drain against most functional Spirits, much less a combat-specced character with less reason to invest in Mentals.
>>
>>43569305
That was meant to be a joke about dragons vs. Great Dragons but it only made sense in my mind I guess.
>>
Astral forensics professor back with another question.

Has anyone ever actually used a quicksilver camera or a mortis optigram? They're looking like they'll be really useful for me, even from the perspective of flavor, but it's also 5k between the two, plus film.
>>
>>43569407

Oh, he's not actually going to be using it seriously. He's basically going to be played as a weapon's Adept who abuses Banishing, and Counterspelling and assensing.

>>43569416
I don't have the exact numbers on me, but in general, it depends on the situation. But, dispelling a spirit could save you more damage fighting it than the drain to get rid of it.
>>
>>43569550
it can also wreck your shit. A bound spirit especially. It also sets a different kind of progress than combat damage.
If you can banish in one or two goes, wonderful. Else, shoulda just gone damage from the start.
>>
>>43569704

Thats why he's primarily a weapon adept.

This guy is FAR from optimized and min/maxed. he's going to be 80% fluff. But, if he CAN banish a spirit, it would certainly help things along. Otherwise, its going to be used for dealing with smaller spirits that can still be issues
>>
First-time technomancer here, does this seem like a decent build for a hacker with a bit of rigging?

>Attributes
Body 2
Agility 2
Reaction 4
Strength 1
Charisma 6
Intuition 3
Logic 5
Willpower 5
Edge 1
Resonance 5

>Positive qualities
Made Man (Hacktivist group)
More than Metahuman
Analytical Mind
Technomancer
Codeslinger (Hack on the fly)

>Negative qualities
Day Job (10 hours/week)
Paranoia
Virtual Personality (Rating 2)
Media Junkie (Moderate

>Skills
Cracking Group 4, Electronics Group 4, Tasking Group 1, Dodge 1 (+2 ranged combat), Pistols 1, Gunnery 3 (+2 ballistics)

>Complex Forms
Analyze 4
Attack 4
Black Hammer 3
Browse 2
Command 4
Defuse 1
Edit 5
Encrypt 2
Exploit 4
Stealth 5

Gear is just a bunch of drones, a commlink, a fake SIN, an armored vest, a pistol and a taser
>>
>>43570551
Max out Stealth and Command, drop Black Hammer, get some Edge, and improve Intuition over Logic. You want to be fast and quiet as a TM since you're perpetually vulnerable.
>>
>>43570615
Could I afford to drop a point of Body to bump up my Intuition, or would that be a bad idea? I'm obviously going to avoid getting into combat as much as possible
>>
>>43563775
Anything whose effects are largely divorced from net hits.
>>
>>43570683
Drop AGI to 1. Your guns are explicitly for scaring people and gun skills for not shooting yourself in the foot when you do so.

I also suggest taking a Stream that favors your CHA if you really want it capped for biofeedback filter.
>>
>>43565535
Just look at literally any mission from Saints Row 1 or 2, or GTA San Andreas for gang inspiration.
>>
>>43565731
You can bribe your way out of anything short of a murder charge, and sometimes even then too.
>>
File: Raziel.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Raziel.pdf
1 B, 486x500
I have no idea what I'm doing with magic.
>>
>>43571694
Is this your first character?
>>
>>43571733
It's my first magic one. I can build a sam or a face fine. But I completely lost where I was going trying to make a magic one.

I don't like magic characters, but our group needs one.
>>
>>43571743
You're really going to need a willpower of 5. Summoning is generally your strongest option as a wizard.
I don't have time to look at the rest, sorry.
>>
>>43570895
I took Networkers as my stream, probably should have mentioned that. Anyway, wouldn't dropping my agility hurt my gunnery, which I need if I'm shooting while dived in on a drone?
>>
>>43571694
Definitely gonna need a higher willpower, it's needed to help resist drain from casting spells, among other things. Not too bad otherwise
>>
>>43571833
>>43571782
So if I bump one off Strength and one off Charisma, I can pull 5 willpower. Sucks, but I guess it'll work.

Is summoning really that important? I'd like to avoid it as much as possible if I can.
>>
>>43571861
Spirits are on the good side of broken, depending on edition. That said, you could probably get by without any summoning for the most part, though you may at least want to put a few points into Banishing (or just spam manabolt)
>>
>>43571891
>Spirits are on the good side of broken, depending on edition.

I'm a relatively new GM, but in 5e my party's mage has had some pretty solid success with bound spirits. I don't think I've ever managed to successfully damage them much with just gun toting mooks and the times the enemy has had magic on their side the player doesn't bother with the summons but just tries debuffs or manaball.
>>
>>43571990
Shoot the mage. Only the most ignorant of street thug doesn't know: "Spirit? Shoot the drekhead that summoned it, presto!"
>>
>>43571861
My last group had a summoning specced mage, he was our force multiplier. Several runs we wouldn't have lived through had he not been there. His invisibility and stun/mana ball spells helped too. Also, TAKE STUN BALL, it is one of the single most useful spells in the book.
>>
>>43572053
Not all spells are super obvious. There's actual rolls to notice when magic that isn't 'Look at that stream of fire from his hands!' obvious is going on.
>>
>>43571861
Summoning isn't necessary but having some points in banishing can be very useful even if you aren't gonna conjure. You can safely ignore summons and focus on sorcery if you like though
>>
>>43572202
>trying to banish spirits

It's far easier to just summon a better spirit and have it wail on the offending spirit whilst the rest of the party backs up your team's spirit.
>>
>>43572053
Does knocking out a mage actually result in a spirit going away?
>>
>>43572200
That's definitely true, but my point is that even dumb mooks should start looking out for the caster rather than waste their bullets on a Spirit.

Alterntively, flash-bangs/tasers work decently well against Spirits.>>43572200
>>
>>43572283
If it's unbound it might just fuck off if not in the midst of performing a service. But that's up to the spirit's personality and the GM's whimsy
>>
>>43572283
Entirely up to your GM, but at the very least it will not get any further orders. An unbound Spirit will fuck off pretty soon. A bound one on guard duty might linger around to protect its 'master' but won't actively harm you as long as you leave them alone.
>>
>>43572283
Entirely up to your GM, but at the very least it will not get any further orders. An unbound Spirit will fuck off pretty soon. A bound one on guard duty might linger around to protect its 'master' but won't actively harm you as long as you leave them alone.
>>
I've got an idea for a character concept, but I don't know enough to properly try to implement it.

The idea is a character with the Blank Slate (Chrome Flesh), and maximum Cyberlimbs, all of which are Modular.

Like, this is the kind of guy who will wake up, stick his hand in a grab - bag of personafix, and that's who he is that day. He selects his arms/legs in the same way you choose your gear for a job. The kind of guy who might be a Businessman, and wear a selection of defensive, synthetic arms to meet with the Johnson, and then plug in Murderhobo.exe and some accompanying arms and legs, depending on the job.

The idea would also be having him with some rather low skill priority, so have him abuse the drek out of skill softs.

I want to name him Lego.
>>
>>43572497
Sounds like a btl cyberzombie addict
>>
>>43572497
That sounds pretty damn cool anon. If you do make this, please post your character sheet so I can copy that shit.
>>
>>43572497
Inspector Gadget?
>>
>>43572555

The problem is that I really don't "get" cyberlimbs. I dunno, the puzzle pieces aren't really fitting together with me.

Also, I'm at work, so I'm trying to spend this time familiarizing myself with the rules so I can sit down and just power him out.

The biggest thing for me, I think, is going to be the Modular part, because... it's just even more confusing.
>>
>>43572576
Cyberlimbs have their own BOD, AGI, and STR
Your effective attribute for anything involving more than a single limb will be the average of all limbs involved, or the average of all limbs and your base attribute.

Cyberlimbs have Capacity into which you install all kinds of modifications, tools and toys, including your Modular Plug-In. With Enhancements, you can retune previously mentioned attributes, even add Armor.

The MPI just gives you a socket into which you can put in special gadgets replacing your hand or whatever.
>>
>>43572630
>Cyberlimbs have their own BOD, AGI, and STR
Only AGI and STR.
>>
>>43572630
Question, if I take the .3 essence cost to replace my arm with a modular port; does this let me forgo the 1 essence of getting a cyberarm?
>>
>>43572649
No, but once you've paid for the 1 essence arm, you can buy a separate arm and switch them around at no additional essence cost using the modular port.
>>
>>43572647
Oh whoops, forgot he was talking 5e
Still
>>
>>43572630

Alright, so, if I wanted to do this, I'd want... what, mediocre physical stats, so the cybernetic limbs are more efficient? I know physical limits don't translate, so I can't have SHIT stats, but what would I be looking for?

Also: buying a full arm/leg (modular) costs me 1 essence. But it also costs me .3 essence for a shoulder/hip mount?

So I would be spending 5.2 essence for 4 modular limbs, but after that, no further essence costs? Even if I were to swap out and get myself a junker Used modular limb?
>>
>>43572677
You'd have more essence costs in that case. You're essentially creating an essence sinkhole when you remove the limb, to be filled by something else.

Grab Alphaware limbs, biocompatibility, experimental transhuman, and adapsin. You can get yourself back over 3 essence easy.
>>
>>43572677
Once you paid the "connector" tax, you can get as much modular limbs as you can pay with nuyen. They just have a base 3 less capacity than regular limbs and cost 3000 nuyen more.
>>
>>43571990
Full auto it dead. Unless spirits in 5e are completey immune to mundane sources of damage, narrow bursts should wreck its shit.
>>
>>43572722

Adapsin would require Restricted gear, which... big whoop, honestly. I'd take it to make this guy better.

Also, I'm having trouble deciding Priority. Magic is Obviously E, and money us obviously A, but the others? I'm not against playing other metatypes, just unfamiliar with it. I'm thinking... C human (7 edge), B attributes (3 for agi/str, probably more for body and rea... mostly focus on the mental stats), and that leaves me with D skills which... is fine, I plan on having a fuck load of skill wires and skill softs to continue with his modular Lego "build-a-runner" theme.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.