[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm starting up a campaign revolving around a group of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: traveller.jpg (98 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
traveller.jpg
98 KB, 630x420
So I'm starting up a campaign revolving around a group of detectives chasing a serial killer. I've never run an investigation-centric campaign before. I have some ideas for the general direction of the story, but I figured I'd check with you guys for advice and ideas. Story beats, general advice, anything welcome.
>>
>>44523898
>I've never run an investigation-centric campaign before.

Yeah, here's some advice: DON'T.

And I really wish I was just trolling, but after several earnest attempts at that from me and other GMs I know, it's sincere advice. So, just don't. It's doomed to failure UNLESS you have an entire group of players who are really sharp, attentive, and on-the-ball. And most likely, you don't.
>>
Have scenes and subplots based around their families, friends, and homelives.
>>
>>44523898
The short version is: be prepared for things not to work.

Investigation is a thing that one would hope works well in an RPG format. Unfortunately, making the acquisition of clues into a stock challenge makes the game hostage to whatever resolution method you're using. Worse luck, you're relying on the players to take careful notes and make deductions in order to solve the case. While those things do happen in RPGs (the same searching for clues and putting together a mental picture of what's happened is often part of, say, a D&D adventure), by setting up the scenario as investigation you're relying on them to carry the game.

It might work out for you and your group. I hope it does. But I strongly recommend a plan B.
>>
>>44523935
>>44524007
I'm aware of the dead end problem. I've built in some safeties for it in the form of NPC lab technicians and such (it's a lightly scifi setting, so technology helps). Instead of running a succeed/fail binary progression on any given lead, I'm hoping to run it as 'how far ahead of the killer are they' - if they fuck up a lead, the killer might get to off someone important. The killer has a personal interest in one of the investigators (as determined by him during char gen) and is stalking him and his allies.

>>44523943
That's pretty good. I'd already asked them to make sure they're full fledged characters with actual personal lives, but doing subplots will definitely help.
>>
>>44524007
What if you create little transitions like Phoenix Wright? Have a part where players find clues and maybe put 2 and 2 together, and when they found all/enough, switch the setting to somewhere they just put every part of the puzzle together. I've never run a campaign like this though, so I'm not sure how well it would carry over/
>>
OP, take a look at GUMSHOE systems.
>>
>>44524163
I've looked at it. My group is pretty burnt out new systems right now (had a string of short lived campaigns on new systems that did not end so well), so I'm sticking to the familiar for now (Traveller). I can always lift elements and integrate stuff that works though, especially considering how simple Traveller is.
>>
>>44524104
>I've built in some safeties for it in the form of NPC lab technicians and such
That may not be the best method. Remember how you feel when the NPCs figure things out for your character.

>>44524114
You could do that, though again I don't know how it would work.

One viable alternative (for certain values of viability) is to storygame the shit out of it and prompt the players with lines like, "You found a clue. What is it and how does it relate to the case?" That way you know that they will solve the case because the director can just announce that they've figured it out and ask the players to explain how.
>>
File: Inspectres.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Inspectres.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44523898

Ey, thats Torpedo.

I have read systems in which they suggest you to make your players create the clues according their rolls.
But obviously, you will need a very proactive group of players which can be hard to get. Even interested PCs would found such premise strange.

Other than that, improvise, improvise, improvise. You need your players to get the clues to make the plot work, so you will have to think different ways to offer them the needed info, some aid from the forensic if they have missed someting important in the corpse, maybe some witness can tell them something relevant if they failed their perception rolls... And you are gonna need to develop new "investigation lines" as they will, very likely, think into unexpected ways to get new clues, and you should give their ideas a chance even if their ocurrence was completely unexpected.
>>
>>44524209
>That may not be the best method. Remember how you feel when the NPCs figure things out for your character.
True. It's a last resort back up which I don't want to use, but it's good to keep in mind.

>story games
I've run story games for them before with mixed success. One of the players is not good at it (stereotypical power gamer), the others are good enough at it, especially when given a little prompting.

>>44524235
I'm fine with that, improvising narrative is something I'm pretty good at.
>>
won't let me post it twice

>>44523847

Its worth a read, also consider ripping off older detective pulps or film noir
>>
>>44524528
Thanks, reading now.
>>
>>44523898

1. Be aware that dice rolling is not great for investigation, so maybe use a Gumshoe based system? Otherwise people rolling bad on their Spot Hidden or Medicine mean the story hits a dead end. The stuff necessary to get to the final confrontation with the serial killer, that shouldn't need rolling to get - you roll to get stuff that's more option, flavour etc.

2. Keep in your head WHO knows WHAT. When does the serial killer become aware that the PC's are after him? Who knows the serial killer's true identity and why are they keeping it a secret? How does that change and how do they react?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.