[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wodg/ - World of Darkness General - The World and the Chronicle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
File: CofD-Front-Screen-Res-768x993.jpg (187 KB, 768x993) Image search: [Google]
CofD-Front-Screen-Res-768x993.jpg
187 KB, 768x993
A new era dawns for the games - denoted by a picture fit for ants.

>What's going on?

nWoD had been rebranded into the Chronicles of Darkness, OPP will continue to print 20th anniversary editions of oWoD books, White Wolf has assumed control of oWoD 4th Edition's development.

On that note, the Chronicles of Darkness corebook is out: http://theonyxpath.com/announcing-chronicles-of-darkness/

Also, the Changeling the Dreaming Kickstarter bounds on, consuming money at terrifying speeds: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/deluxe-changeling-the-dreaming-20th-anniversary-ed

So, for the first time in a while, there's much to discuss. Have at it!

http://theonyxpath.com/
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/
https://mega.nz/#F!wpB0ib4a!EsAU0AE4ihrNlDWzp3-MIw
>>
Oh, right, totally forgot, old thread was here: >>44091686
>>
>>44128385
>No idea of Aspel has any plans here and I don't wanna come across as pushy, but this is my proposal.
>+Requires significant Plasm investiture
>+Roll is Occult + Composure
>+Requires spending a permanent dot of Willpower
>+Confers the merits Medium, Unseen Sense (Spirits), Sleepwalker and Omen Sensitivity
>+For Manifestation rolls a Medium counts as Believer as per Second Sight rules
>+Creating a Medium is a Sin against Synergy 8
>+Becoming a Medium is always considered a Breaking Point
I dig it.
>>
> We may or may not talk to a lot of board game companies which may or may not include @FFGames

WoD board games could become a thing.
>>
>>44128573

I think Aspel's doing that whole Graywalker thing, but I like this.
>>
>>44128673
I'd like to see something like Prince of the City again, personally.
>>
>>44128514

Why only now renaming?
>>
>>44128767
The new owners of the IP chose to rename it, likely for brand distinction purposes.
>>
>>44128764

I've wanted Prince of the City for a while, but what I REALLY want is an VtES LCG. Make it happen, Dracula.

>>44128767

Paradox Interactive bought White Wolf, and wants to make it a multimedia sensation, but there's one problem: There's two completely different settings with the same official name. While there's plenty of crossover fans, an explanation to separate the two is going to make a media mogul's eyes glaze over. With solid separate brand names, White Wolf not only can differentiate products easier, it also has a new IP it can promote, if it is so inclined.

Personally, I hope that White Wolf helps get CoD books in stores, like they plan to get WoD books in stores.
>>
>>44128729
>I think Aspel's doing that whole Graywalker thing, but I like this.
It's streamlined at least.
>>
>>44128573
>>+For Manifestation rolls a Medium counts as Believer as per Second Sight rules
What does that mean?
>>
>>44128893
Prince of the City was super fun. I could see a VtM board game taking a page from Arkham with crisis cards and stuff like investigations, Sabbat attacks and the like being in there. It'd be a pretty neat aspect actually.
>>
What ever happened to Amy V? Did she get shitcanned for the whole deal with Beast?
>>
File: 1449892929554.jpg (3 MB, 5056x3371) Image search: [Google]
1449892929554.jpg
3 MB, 5056x3371
Has WoD influenced your RL?

Do you LARP it out?
>>
>>44128993
>What ever happened to Amy V? Did she get shitcanned for the whole deal with Beast?
Go away and search the archives.
>>
>>44128993

Appatently she got in trouble for in the wrong place at the wrong time for the Exalted leak and the Beast leak. Also I guess there was also an issue with a Kickstarter message to Rich Thomas? Whatever happened, she is fufuilling her current contracted duties and will not be getting new ones. Her last work will be in Changeling the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition.
>>
>>44129086

It's given me the annoying tendency to see a lot of media stuff in a WoD light. It's useful, but eventually I come away saying things like "Man that Lego Movie was a great Mage: the Awakening movie!" and I feel the urge to stuff myself in a locker.
>>
So, anyone got the Chronicles of Darkness yet and can tell us what's in it and how it's different from a violent mash of the NWoD core book and GMC?
>>
>>44128573
>Unseen Sense (Spirits)
Why Spirits?
>>
>>44129177
Same
>>
Anyone else feel like "World of Darkness Chronicles" would have been a better title?
>>
>>44129262

I'm going to buy it later today, but it seems like there are some new rules that weren't in both books. Investigation is now different, very GUMSHOE inspired.
>>
>>44129451

It would have, but that's still just similar enough to create confusion in branding. You have to remember, media people are encouraged to have memories like guppies.
>>
>>44129086
I hit on a girl using lines out of Changeling: The Dreaming. We were drunk on the beach and she seemed like the type to buy that kind of shit, and I started waxing poetic about how sad it is that most people have lost the sense of magic and wonder and the world, blah blah, it's so cool that she can still see that lost beauty of glades and the wind blowing upon the waves under the starlit sky I want to get into your bathing suit you have really nice tits banality is a curse upon the human heart, ancient people knew that but we killed them all I am totally into blondes, it's out duty as those who were left to guard the remaining glamour on this Earth.

It actually worked. Holy damn.
>>
>>44129488

And that's why CtD made 300% of its goal within 72 hours
>>
So, is anybody gonna upload the CoD core book?
>>
>>44128729
>>44128902
Check it out over at the other thread. >>44129272
>>
>>44129793

It always takes a week or two for the OPP books to get uploaded to the usual places, give it time.
>>
I'm really glad the nWoD isn't dead.

Maybe that was a silly fear, but I was pretty convinced it was getting the axe.
>>
Is buying CoD worth it if I already have GMC? The description makes it sound like its just GMC+more prebuilt stuff.
>>
>>44129969

I had the fear that they would merge cwod and nwod.
>>
>>44130065
It's GMC without you having to reference the nwod 1e core book, plus some other new shit(like, for example, a Dread Powers system that is built for 2e as a whole, as opposed to the Mortal Remains system that mostly says 'use the 1e powers but make these changes')
>>
>>44130065
It has a monster creation system for general baddies, and some new systems line a narrative investigation system.
>>
>>44130140
>>44129452
I have no idea how GUMSHOE handles things, but I'm rather curious about new Investigation systems. I have a tendency to make at least one detective like character per system set in modern times, and a few fantasy detectives, so Investigation is all kinds of up my alley. Could anyone give a basic rundown of how this new system plays out?
>>
>>44130195
A basic rundown was posted here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712435&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=132#post453764507
>>
>>44130195
Long story short: less dependent on dicerolls deciding when you have enough clues, instead bad rolls give bad clues that are given mechanical weight for being bad clues.
>>
They also give concrete meanings for what level of competence each dot rating in each skill means, which was an interesting addition.

Apparently one dot is "you're better than average at this" and two dots in a skill is "you do this professionally".

Which makes having untrained penalties really weird.
>>
One question: can I still call nWoD nWoD? CoD is too associated with the Call of Duty series
>>
>>44130322
Call it CofD
>>
Well, that looks like yet another step away from the World of Darkness and towards the abominable Satanic abortion of a child of Apocalypse World and Fate that 2E books turned into. At least now they're no longer sullying the name.
>>
>>44130322
aint nobody gonna bust down your door and kill you if you do
>>
>>44130322
Apparently devs are calling it CofD to keep the two separate.
>>
>>44130322
Related question: One thread or two?
>>
File: skillratings.png (65 KB, 640x335) Image search: [Google]
skillratings.png
65 KB, 640x335
Well, my first (personal) iffy thing from their tweets:
Tenebrae Noctis @TenebraeNoctis 13m13 minutes ago
"I hope we will have a living plot in 5 years where LARPs and pc games will affect the metaplot and we can chronicle it" @ElricssonMartin.

>>44130320
That's not new. That was in core NWoD 1e with descriptive ratings as well, though the level of competency is different.

Pic related..
>>
>>44130355
Except faggier, if that was even possible. Although Fate's closing in fast on that title. I don't think they've released a World of Adventure since last year which didn't include at least one LGBTQABCD character in it, and they jam ethnically diverse multigender types every fucking where, no matter how much sense it doesn't do.
>>
>>44130399
Don't very much care for metaplot so that bothers me none.
>>
>>44130423
>>44130355

Here is your reply anons, enjoy it. :3
>>
>>44128514
So, since Paradox wants to turn WoD/CofD into a multimedia franchise, can we hope for a new game on the style of Bloodlines?
>>
>>44130428
Mostly I just don't want to see something like, say the world metaplot that will be in video games, affected by some troll-ass LARP moron.
>>
>>44130355

This might just be me, but I'm pretty sure the name was sullied as soon as stuff like Montreal by Night, nWoD Changing Breeds, and Eternal Hearts came out. Occasional awkward appropriations of rules-light games in a medium-rules is probably on the lesser scale of bad things to happen with the brand.

Maybe crunchy games will be popular again when the only people that can do good crunch aren't just the Burning Wheel guy, Steve Jackson Games, and Dreamscared Press.
>>
>>44130445
Their tweets explicitly said they are planning the new Masquerade edition to coincide with a AAA video game.
>>
File: Thousand Tiny Knives.png (25 KB, 375x325) Image search: [Google]
Thousand Tiny Knives.png
25 KB, 375x325
>>44130483
>AAA video game
>>
>>44130384

Let's keep it to one. We can already handle talking about both settings decently enough.

>>44130445

They want the new edition of VtM to come with a video game, much like the Numenera: Torment project.
>>
>>44130483
I'd quite like Bloodlines HD.
>>
>>44130399
Professional is 2 dots now. Expert is still 4, Master is still 5. 3 dots is "Experienced professional" now. The stuff you're specifically pretty great at.
>>
>>44130399

Dracula's SUPER into the idea of crowd driven narratives. He's given talks about it and everything. His vision is probably going to be a multi-influence narrative: Not only will LARPers (and maybe tabletop players) get to influence the narrative, people playing the video games will have their choices tallied and the events of those games will be inserted into the metaplot. Then, finally, that metaplot will be altered by some Netflix series. The ultimate goal is a narrative and setting that one can immerse their entire life in, the final conclusion of gaming.
>>
>>44130598

Have the no rating penalties changed to reflect that? I suppose you could fluff it to say that you only roll in times of great stress, so just being OK at things WOULD give you a penalty, but it still feels a bit off.
>>
>>44130606
>Dracula's SUPER into the idea of crowd driven narratives. He's given talks about it and everything. His vision is probably going to be a multi-influence narrative: Not only will LARPers (and maybe tabletop players) get to influence the narrative, people playing the video games will have their choices tallied and the events of those games will be inserted into the metaplot.
>Games Workshop Worldwide Campaigns in WoD
>>
>>44128673
If it's Fantasy Flight, expect a LCG like Netrunner. Maybe the rebirth of the Vampire card game, or even something else entirely. Imagine starting with the Vampire set followed up by the Werewolf expansion followed by the Mage expansion...
>>
>>44130652
Untrained penalties still exist, even though they're pretty baffling now given that.
>>
Do their premade "urban legend" monsters FINALLY include gray aliens in flying saucers that aren't excused away as being a manifestation of some other part of the cosmology (True Fae, Spirits, Astral Entities, etc.)? Always struck me as a bit of a blind spot in what otherwise tried to present itself (at least the blue books) as a generic horror system. If you mounted setting upon setting you ended up with a universe which acknowledged the possibility that fairies, spirits, ghosts, demons, angels, demons, daemons, demons, geists, demons (seriously, I think like 5 of the game lines presented "demons" which were different things), but completely and absolutely objected to the possibility of extraterrestrial life, no matter how prevalent it is in the modern horror genre. Even as it went on do deal with nanotechnology, cyborgs, mad computer programs and other "science fiction-y" concepts, aliens always remained taboo.
>>
I don't know why, but I think the 10'000 Volt Ghost would work as something in a Geist campaign. Maybe as the Geist of a Forgotten.
>>
>>44130664

Except Dracula can and will pull the trigger on advancing the plot. It's less like those and more like L5R's metaplot.

>>44130682

Huh, that is baffling. Why not just have it so that doing things untrained makes the minimum bar for success to be two successes or something and just have you roll your stat for untrained? That way you're still a competent character and can handle things, but you're still dealing with things you're not used to.
>>
>>44130664
But GW doesn't change anything.

>>44130682
>>44130652
>>44130755
That's more or less how it always worked. Drive, for instance. You can drive without Drive dots.
>>
>>44130708

It's one of the traditional Off Limits aspects of White Wolf games: No aliens, no major time travel. I doubt we'll see aliens beyond Demon's Cryptids and Mage Supernal Beings.
>>
>>44130708
Mostly because everything in the WoD is tied into Earth somehow. Once you add on aliens, you get dumb questions like, "Are there vampires and werewolves on their planet?"
>>
>>44130802
Why the fuck did they decide that?

Also

>no major time travel
>except when entire Demon chronicles revolve around exactly that, demons have time manipulating powers and mages have had those since the early 2000's
>>
>>44130708
Don't they acknowledge aliens in NWoD/CofD?
>>
>>44130652
I think they really need to just add a clarification that in normal circumstances, day to day things like driving DON'T require a roll or dots in the skill. I have so many people who come into the LARP I run and take a dot of drive because 'well, I can't drive a car without that' and it's not actually that.

I also do like the METVtM version of failure; if you perform a test with a skill you don't have dots of, and you fail, you have a dramatic failure.
>>
>>44130839
Demons break the rules.

Hell, one of the possible origins for the G-M in the original GMC was that it's actually an alien super-computer.

I also have the god-machine pretty much be a super-computer lavos, so Demons are also aliens.
>>
>>44130863
No alien were in a mirror book. So Iut more like you could put in
>>
>>44130863
Not really. God Machine could be alien. True Fae abductions could explain some stories of alien abduction.
>>
>>44130863
No, Helios keeps us in and Luna keeps all that nightmare shit out of Earth.
>>
>>44130778
>But GW doesn't change anything.
That's why I specified the worldwide campaigns. Back when they still did those, their results were official canon.
>>
>>44130930
Sounds like meta-narrative bullshit to me.

Then again i've always preferred using it as a toolkit than word of god, and never mix splats or stick with cosmologies.
>>
>>44130930

Luna and Helios are the only thing protecting us from the terror of the Alien World of Darkness. It is literally the setting of the oWoD, except in space and over multiple planets. As soon as Alien Caine falls upon our world, it's all over.
>>
>>44130802
There have been aliens. There's even really dumb rules for alien creation in Infinite Macabre. There's also time travel in Mage and Demon. And in Mirrors one of the End of the World options is aliens.

>>44130973
That (isn't true, but also) would be setting, not meta-narrative.
>>
>>44130995

There's no aliens in the actual setting is the point. There's Fae, Mage's Men in Black, Idigam, and Intruders, but no straight up Aliens that have ships and abduct people.
>>
>>44130872
>must take 1 point in Drive
>must take 1 point in Computers
>must take 1 point in Science, Academics, and Politics each to represent high school level education
>must take 1 point of Medicine to represent mandatory first aid training
>must take 1 point in Brawl, Stealth and Athletics to represent basic human capabilities
>must take 1 point in every single social skill

Whoever thought the average guy on the street was such a badass?
>>
>>44131175
Think about the average Israeli, South Korean or Swiss. Add 1 dot of Survival and Firearms to all that. These guys are truly the best humanity can offer.
>>
>>44130778
The weird thing is you go from, according to their levels of competency, so untrained you're hindering yourself to better than average. There's never a point where you're average, which is weird.
>>
>>44131175

Well considering the stats for an average NPC in CofD...yeah actually.
>>
>Onyx Path cannot into mechanics, more news at 11
>>
>>44131261
whats happened now?
>>
>>44131240
Seriously? Please, please don't tell me they've thought it out so poorly the average NPC is stronger than a beginning character.
>>
>>44131175
I will argue with you about social skills.
There are plenty of people that lack street knowledge, are poor at reading people's moods, are bad with animals, can't really make a persuasive speech, etc.
You would have 5 of the skills max, unless you are simply better than the average human.
>>
>>44131286
>>44131240
>>44131175
>>44131464
Why do people complain about things when they're getting it wrong?

You do not need a single dot to have basic competency. You need a single dot to use a skill under pressure without penalty. You don't need to have a dot of Drive to know how to drive a car. You don't need a dot of Computers to know how to use a computer. You don't need a dot of Academics to know how to read. You don't need Socialize to make friends.

You only roll when you're under pressure. Most people are not under pressure. Most people also have equipment. Basic data entry does not require a Computers roll. Reading a book does not require Academics. Following a cake recipe does not require Crafts.

Also, most people even if you statted out real life people most of them wouldn't have Science, Politics, Brawl, Stealth, or even Athletics.
>>
>>44130986
Now i'm picturing Zeiram in the WoD.

I'm strangely okay with this.
>>
>>44131591
>Zeiram in the WoD.
Welcome to the party.
Anime Zeiram, or movie 1/2 Zeiram?
>>
>>44130872
>I think they really need to just add a clarification that in normal circumstances, day to day things like driving DON'T require a roll or dots in the skill.

nigger what

>Drive is a broad Skill used for the operation of any motorized vehicle. It is used for maneuvering and controlling automobiles, motorcycles, and even boats. It’s assumed that pretty much any modern character can perform basic driving under safe conditions, even without this Skill. However, if a character gets involved in a high-speed chase or tries to elude a tail, Drive is used to determine how well they handle themselves.
> It’s assumed that pretty much any modern character can perform basic driving under safe conditions, even without this Skill.
>>
>/wodg/ can't even fucking read, more news at 11
>>
>>44131521
We're saying the same thing. It's a holdover from OWoD, I think 2nd edition that you had to have a dot in something to even DO it. Including drive a car.

That's not the case, and we're bitching about people thinking that it is.

>>44131625
Why not both?
>>
>>44131655
>/wodg/ can't even fucking read

Everyone forgot to take a dot of Academics
>>
>>44131521
Stop your screeching.
There is a reason that pcs, who start the game as regular people with adult life experience, have the dots they do, and that is because to get somewhere in life, you need some manner of proficiency above absolute basics to get by.
A politician will have dots.
A school teacher will have dots.
A building superintendent who does his own repair work will have dots.
>>
>>44131633
People don't seem to READ that, for all the times people talk about needing skills to do stuff in my experience. That and holdovers from oWoD.
>>
>>44131703
Those people in those professions, yes, they will have dots. The average person? No. The average person is not "one dot in every skill" like >>44131175 implies.
>>
>>44131704

>When to Roll Dice
>For many actions, you don’t need to roll dice. If your character isn’t in a stressful situation — nobody’s actively trying to tear his throat open, or demolish the building as he works — you don’t need to roll. When the dice hit the table, the Storyteller should have some idea of what will happen if the roll fails, as well as if it succeeds. Sometimes that’s coded in the rules. If you fail on an attack roll, you don’t deal any damage. Other times, it’s up to the Storyteller. If you fail a roll to jump between buildings with the prince’s hit-squad on your tail, do you make it but fall on the other side, grab the next building by your fingertips, or plummet to the alley below?
>>
>>44131669

>Why not both?

Welp, time to pack it in, the WoD had a good run.
>>
>>44131669
>Why not both?
They are a lot different in tone.
Movie Zeirams had a lot of alien bodyhorror and "Holy shit it's a goddamn monster!". I mean, in Zeiram 1, the most impressive feat of strength in the movie was Zeiram shoving a pickup truck damn near 2 blocks.
It was filmed in such a way as he made it seem effortless, like swatting down a fly, a irritated push with both arms as the camera pans down the truck's slide down the road.
Compare that to the anime, where he shrugs off hails of gunfire, jumps 3 stories straight up, etc.
There is a clear difference in "monster" being presented.
>>44131736
The average person has skills they have honed during life, and most people do something for a living that requires learning or exercising a skill set.
Unless you are a neet, you will have dots.
>>
>>44131807
Yes, but not dots in everything. Even if you drive every day, you don't necessarily have a dot in Drive, because >>44131747 >>44131633
>>
>>44131807
True. It's been some years since I've watched either. Movie Zeiram fits NWoD tone more, Anime Zeiram fits OWoD tone more.
>>
>>44131633
>>44131747
The problem with this is that 2e's experience generation mechanic depends on rolling all the time for everything.
>>
>>44131860

If the oWoD Netflix series is not an anime, I am going to be very surprised.
>>
>>44131851
I never said dots in everything, but you will have dots.
I am countering >>44131521's advances that people will not have dots in certain things because somehow, real people don't DO things well.
>>
>>44131888
this is an absolutely moronic observation that's about as useful as saying "yeah but the game requires you to DO STUFF to GET STUFF"

it's actually contingent upon resolving Conditions, which sometimes requires rolling

notably, Conditions come from dramatic situations, create dramatic situations, and predicate on dramatic resolutions for you to actually get the beat

does this sound anything like rolling Drive to make a left on main street?

no

it's trying to make that sharp turn during a crazy ass car chase, aka the time where it makes sense to roll, aka the time where you're actually doing cool shit aka the actual bullshit that matters
>>
>>44131911
I dunno. Netflix did boss stuff with Daredevil and Jessica Jones, and hell, The Originals is something that, given the freedom to be a bit darker, would be a definite arrangement for a WoD series. I fully expect live action if they can get all the ducks in a row. Of course, they said by 2021 so I'm not holding my breath for stuff any time soon.
>>
>>44132005
>by 2021
>I will be 40+ years old
Fuck this shit.
>>
>>44131950
I'm both of those people. And i'm not saying people will have no dots in everything. I'm saying that the average person does not have one dot in everything, which seems to be what >>44131175 was saying. You don't need one dot in everything to be competent as a normal human being.

Nevermind that nonplayer characters and characters who don't matter are basically a pool of dice, not an actual sheet. This has been true for WoD in general, but in GMC specifically you have Allies that are "Their dot rating times two as a dice pool" and "their dot rating as a dice pool" for any action they need to do.

>>44131958
It also assumes that PCs and NPCs follow the same rules, which as I pointed out above isn't necessarily true.
>>
>>44131888
HOW IS THAT A FUCKING PROBLEM?!

You still have your skills! They didn't go anywhere! You're not suddenly out 5 dots! You can continue to roll dicepools and do things, holy shit, nothing has changed.

Nothing has changed.

You don't need to spend random dots in random things for basic human competence. You don't need Resources to have a house and a car. You can take a breath. It's okay. You can still resolve Conditions and roll dice exactly as you have always done, usually with the areas you're specialized in.
>>
>>44131958
>Various things within the course of a game can cause Conditions. The most common is exceptional successes.
>The most common is exceptional successes
How often do you roll exceptional successes in your games? Apparently the other sources of Conditions are supposed to be rarer than that.

>Any time a player rolls an exceptional success, the player may choose to bring a Condition into play. This Condition must be relevant to the situation. Some supernatural abilities can also offer Conditions. Ghostly Numina may offer Conditions, as well as vampiric Disciplines or werewolf Gifts.

It does say that the Storyteller CAN choose to add a Condition to a character when it would heighten the drama of a game, but based on the above it mostly comes from rolling 5 successes or better.

If you're going to be rolling 5 successes or better often enough to actually get a decent Beat inflow from Conditions (like 3+ times per session), you're either going to have to be rolling all the damn time, or specifically have cheesed a dicepool and then actively looking for excuses to roll that (like Werewolves do with Perception rolls).
>>
>>44132076
Not him, but I used to roll Exceptionals all the damned time.

>It does say that the Storyteller CAN choose to add a Condition to a character when it would heighten the drama of a game
Literally the ST's job. I plan on doing it a lot in my upcoming game.
>>
>>44132066
Because it's significantly harder to narratively justify large enough dicepools to generate the exceptional successes required to generate Conditions. If a professional in a field is only expected to have 2 skill dots, how the hell is he making a dicepool of 15 to get the expected probability of rolling 5 successes? Is he always rolling an attribute he has at 5, AND getting 5 dice from equipment somehow, AND spending willpower?
>>
>>44132136
So the book is just straight-up lying about exceptional successes being the most common source of Conditions, then, if you're running the game properly?
>>
>>44132138

Why on earth are you assuming exceptional successes are EXPECTED? That would kind of defeat the purpose of them being EXCEPTIONAL.

Generating conditions from exceptional successes isn't and is not intended to be the primary source of conditions. It's an uncommon benefit. Most of your beats are expected to come from negative conditions (ie you suffer for them).
>>
>>44132138
Why are you assuming a professional even needs that?

>>44132160
I didn't say that. I said that STs putting on Conditions isn't some thing that will never happen.
Like I said, exceptional successes tend to come a lot, especially with players doing things they're good at .
>>
>>44132185
5 dice from attribute + 2 dice from Skill (which is apparently what pros have) + 3 dice from Willpower + 5 dice from Equipment just barely nets this hypothetical professional 15 dice.
>>
>>44132243
>Why are you assuming a professional even needs that?
>>
>>44132179
>Generating conditions from exceptional successes isn't and is not intended to be the primary source of conditions.
Again, straight from the book, all the way back in the GMC update when Beats and Conditions were introduced:
>>Various things within the course of a game can cause Conditions. The most common is exceptional successes.
>The MOST COMMON is Exceptional Successes

I'm assuming that because that's literally what the book is telling me. The XP costs are designed under the assumption that you'll be getting more Beats in 2e than you did XP in 1e (which is why every single dot you buy now costs more than the third dot did in 1e), and Conditions are one of the few things you can get more than one Beat from in a session.
>>
>>44132138
>>44132243

Did you factor exploding 10s into your probablity?
>>
>>44132317
Exploding tens are what bump dice from (on average) .3 successes to .33 successes.

Exploding 10s are how 15 dice rather than 17 dice have an average of 5.
>>
>>44132317
General rule of thumb is that three dice is one success.
>>
Actual thing of concern: there are now rules to make equipment, and "equipment" includes tools, weapons, armor, and also organizations, occult stuff, research repositories, and "plans," each using their own dicepool. Plans use Wits + Composure.

Plans are literally plans, for anything, that add their equipment bonus to things you do in accordance with the plan. First problem is that while you can't take more than a -5 penalty (corresponding directly to equipment bonus + special properties) it does NOT say you can't make something with higher than 5 points of yay. I'm gonna immediately rule that that is in fact a cap - what do you guys think? Needs to go in the errata thread?

Next problem is that plans exist. It's a cool idea, and the penalty means it's actually...huh. Hmm. Actually, so your penalty for a good plan is high enough you can't casually expect to succeed, and failure at a Build Equipment action lets you get the thing but adds the fragile or volatile conditions - including to a plan.

Which, when triggered, give Beats to everyone involved in return for things going pearshaped. You know what? That seems like a solid risk/reward system that'll speed up experience gain, which is kinda slow now. I'm mostly okay with this.

Organizations are great: they disband after the session unless you buy them as Merits, so a social character can basically MacGuyver up crowdfunded art exhibits, neighborhood watch posses, bacchanalian hedonist cults, or a feminist protest rally on demand but not have to invest too much time into the long-term logistics.

I don't know how I feel about being able to mod weapons and armor to +5, though. People are gonna do that fucking constantly. I was good with the existing stuff and craftspersons just being able to make it on demand given the raw materials.
>>
>>44132317
Yes. Even with exploding 10s, the chance of rolling 5 successes on 15 dice is actually worse than the chance of rolling 1 success on 3 dice (~57% vs ~66%), which is the standard the book tells you to aim for as far as "having enough dice to be able to succeed at things" goes.

So even if you DO have a best-in-the-world level Attriibute, AND the maximum possible equipment bonus, AND you're blowing willpower, your chances of getting your exceptional are a little better than half at the thing you do at a professional level.
>>
>>44132391
You wanna upload the pdf? They're not watermarked
>>
>>44132305
Are your games not made up of actually dramatic situations? (i.e. the ones you roll in)

Do you just roleplay driving everywhere where you don't get Beats and therefore don't get any Beats?

Most importantly, have you actually played any 2e games at all? Because the way you're talking about this makes you sound like you haven't.

In actual play, you're mostly getting beats from these things

1. Integrity checks
2. Getting and resolving conditions

1. gives you 2.

and on top of that, you get Beats for completing Aspirations and for roleplaying and for completing sessions

Which means you'll average between 4-6 Beats per session unless you're playing with someone who is extremely stingy/you don't actually do anything
>>
>>44132391
>being able to mod weapons and armor to +5
Oh boy, it's the Katastrofi and Prostasia problem from Genius all over again, except this time it's in the core rules.

For those who haven't played Genius, the problem is anyone with Katastrofi will instagib anyone without Prostasia, and anyone with Prostasia is basically immune to anyone who doesn't have Katastrofi. Given that weapon damage and armor add and subtract SUCCESSES now, the problem here is actually WORSE. Anyone using customized weapons/armor is going to be able to laugh off anyone who isn't.
>>
>>44132433
You get one Beat for completing a session, and you only get Beats for roleplaying if the ST specifically takes note of a bit of great roleplaying and decides to reward it with a Beat. The way the book words it, that's meant to be a pretty exceptional source of Beats rather than a reliable one.

So the only way to get a decent inflow of Beats is to traumatize myself constantly?

This also doesn't help games like Werewolf, where you DON'T get a Beat or a Condition for making Harmony checks.
>>
>>44132305
Well, it's a white lie. Conditions come way more commonly from failure, exceptional failure, engaging in social influence, or encountering the supernatural, who hand that shit out like candy. More to the point, since you have the same number of skill dots as always, your ability to justify things to your ST is your only practical limitation and that shouldn't really be a limitation, since you have complete creative control over your character. "You're an experienced professional at shooting people with a Specialty in aimed shots?" "Yep. Ex-soldier with an obsession with recreating a perfect shot/weird, scary cop everybody wants off the force/expert hunter/college kid with a crazy eye/lonely redneck/high-powered lawyer who needs to fire guns to feel like a man and relax." "Okay."

So please stop panicking. We're all going to make it, anon-kun.
>>
>>44132501
>So the only way to get a decent inflow of Beats is to traumatize myself constantly?

You do remember this is a horror system, right?
>>
>>44132528
And what about Werewolves, who don't get Beats from Harmony rolls? Or Vampires, who have to actively choose to be shitty fucking people to roll their Morality stat? Unless you're putting them through multiple severe car crashes and showing them their own graves every session.
>>
>>44132528
>You do remember this is a horror system, right?
Sure, but it's not Call of Cthulhu. The end goal is not to turn your character into a Sanity 0 gibbering wreck or die.
>>
>>44132511

Doesn't that make it just a game of "Mother May I?"
>>
>>44132557
>Or Vampires, who have to actively choose to be shitty fucking people to roll their Morality stat?
No they don't.

What the hell is going on in this thread? Have any of you even played World of Darkness? Sorry, Chronicles of Darkness.

Why are people suddenly confused about rules that have already existed as if they were new? Why are people suddenly confused about how the game works?

How many of the people in this conversation don't even have the book to look at in the first place?
>>
>>44132511
Maybe I've just been in too many groups that hate ubercompetent special snowflakes enough to basically pressure people into playing "decently competent professional" at best, at least as starting characters. Which now means a maximum of 2 skill dots, and a few specialties.
>>
>>44132588
Welcome to roleplaying, anon! Whose girlfriend/boyfriend are you? Did your first session conclude yet or are you in the bathroom on your phone?
>>
>>44132626
I've never made anyone with more than three dots and never played anyone with more than four in anything. I've still gotten Exceptionals left and right.
>>
>>44132620
Probably quite a few, who are looking to start arguments either because of change or some inane comparison to narrative games like FATE.
>>
Guys wtf is cwod
>>
>>44132670
Old WoD sounded disrespectful, so it became "classic" WoD.
>>
>>44132642
Well you're some sort of voodoo witch doctor when it comes to dice, then. Either that or you're rolling really, really often.
>>
>>44132588
Sure, but it's always been a game of "Mother May I?" and so is D&D, Exalted, Shadowrun, FATE, WH40K...there aren't a lot of games where you can just do whatever and the GM has neither explicit nor implicit power to impose limitations.

>>44132626
Any such group is too many such group. Ubercompetent special snowflakes are why I live and breath.
>>
>>44132687
did they bring it back or something or is all this just to change the name and thats it
>>
>>44132557
Werewolves get beats on exceptionals during Siskur Dah (in addition to whatever conditions), they also have totem aspirations which provide an extra avenue of xp gain. They also tend to fight more (and heal more) than most splats, so the healthbox beat comes into play more frequently.
>>
>>44132572
Keep in mind that Integrity isn't your brain's health levels and is measured from 1 to 10.

It can't fall to zero, and beyond -2 to rolls for Breaking Points, there is no consequence for low Integrity. If you have a high Resolve and Composure (6+) then you will never be in danger of Dramatically Failing a Breaking Point roll and getting truly crippling conditions unless you chose to take one because it makes sense for the story.

A Integrity 1 moral is fragile and likely to be Shaken or Frighted after a Breaking Point, but could still function.
>>
>>44132588
>Mother May I
>It is a sickening thing, the succubus, a demon driven by Lust, yes, but often for a very damning purpose: to have a child. By stealing the semen of sleeping men, the succubus could impregnate herself with a child born of true sin. Here, the Possessed with this Vestment gains +3 Social rolls when dealing with children. They find the character very… parental. A dark irony, indeed.
>>
>>44132642
>7 dice maximum
>rolling 5 or more successes or better left and right
Clearly a witch. The chances of rolling 5 successes on 7 dice is 7.5%. You'd have to roll your best dicepool 13 times to be able to expect one Exceptional Success. I have no idea how you're apparently managing to get several every session.
>>
>>44132733
Having the lowest possible Integrity basically doesn't matter?

Why do they even bother including it then?

I actually hadn't noticed that it doesn't have the "bottom out at 0 and make your character unplayable" thing all the other ones have (except Harmony, but Harmony is weird on purpose).
>>
>>44132662
CoD being more like Fate isn't bad. A more crunchy Fate would be perfect, and I'm glad CoD is moving in that direction.
Only problem is how some of the powers are basically uneven in terms of how they solve problems.

>>44132697
>>44132750
>Seven dice maximum
Attribute ●●● + Skill (Specialty) ●●● + 3 Equipment + Willpower
That's 13 dice for a starting character.
Do you people just not play WoD?

>>44132715
>did they bring it back or something
They... they brought it back years ago. V20 and W20 have been out for years. M20 was released recently. C20's kickstarter was 300% backed in less than a day.
>>
>>44132738
God, FUCK whoever wrote the rules for Possessed in Inferno. Such a goddamn scattershot of broken madness (hi, Envy) and worthless garbage. At least actually running a Possessed is so horrifyingly difficult given how quickly you end up straitjacketed by your own power that almost no one bothers after they try it the first time.
>>
>>44132738

Why would you bring this darkness here, in the most sacred thread?
>>
>>44132811
>Remembering that equipment bonuses exist
People do this? How much equipment do you need to have on hand to get 3 dice from it, anyway? I remember most equipment giving like, one die.

And you can only spend willpower so many times.
>>
>>44132811
wait wtf didn't the world end in cwod and nwod start after. how can they bring it back
>>
>>44132812
>(hi, Envy

How so? This is the closest I could find to "Broken madness"
>Those characters near the Possessed character no longer gain the 10-Again rule on rolls, and, in addition, any 1’s that come up subtract from successes gained.
>>
File: 1446279966750.jpg (2 MB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
1446279966750.jpg
2 MB, 2272x1704
>>44132797
Well, people tend to prefer to keep it higher and play characters as more broken and closer to the edge the lower their Integrity falls. In a character's arc they are also more likely to become conformable with doing things that are Breaking Points as Integrity falls and they see worse things, putting them in situations where they are more likely to be suffering from a Condition related to failing a Breaking Point.

It's very much important for people with Resolve and Composure low enough to put them in danger of being reduced to a Chance Dice on Breaking Point rolls. If the -2 to Breaking Point rolls causes that to happen often then you are likely going to take much more serious Persistent Conditions.
>>
File: never go full retard.jpg (72 KB, 450x373) Image search: [Google]
never go full retard.jpg
72 KB, 450x373
>>44132588
>A game where the being that determines the results of your actions is a sentient, free-willed being rather than a mechanistic system.
>Not "Mother May I"
>>
>>44132874
You can get equipment bonus of 1 to 5.

>>44132913
20th Anniversary editions.

>>44132935
>>44132797
Low Integrity means more Breaking Points which means more negative Conditions like Broken.
>>
>>44132913

The current oWoD books in print are 20th Anniversary Editions, which don't advance the plot but contain the entire line's worth of content with a polish or two. The upcoming 4th edition of oWoD (now called The World of Darkness) will be developed in house at White Wolf Publishing under the watchful eye of Martin Elricsson, a famous LARPer. The original 4th edition Onyx Path was working on was set post-Gehenna, but we shall see if White Wolf continues in that vein. If I were to guess, it would be a hard reboot of the 1e/2e oWoD setting.
>>
>>44132978
Broken requires you Dramatically Fail a Breaking Point roll. If you have high Resolve and Composure you won't be reduced to a Chance Dice on any Breaking Point roll, and thus will never be Broken unless you chose to for story reasons or because you really want the Beats from a Persistent Condition.
>>
>>44133000
>post-Gehenna
shit man with the antediluvian gone cain and Lilith doing the mombo and half of the vampires dead because of the widering how will they being it back
>>
Might have to just go to a WoD larp so I can get me a chubby qt larper goth or maybe a trap.
>>
>>44133093
hell fuckin yeah

are you people telling me you don't want your character to have a dark night (Years?) of the soul, then come back way cooler having climbed their way out of the abyss?

faggots
>>
>>44132920
Epicaricacy causes dramatic failure on any roll that would fail. This is in 1E, remember, so that was just getting fucked. Anything You Can Do lets you take one dot in two combat skills (or three but no one remembers Athletics and based Shurikenjutsu) and pump a third and one-dot anyone not using your preferred style. It's automatic and works on every skill ever: no one you can see can roll more dice than you do. DICEPOOL, not just a skill cap.

Put those together with the Quiet Curse (which works on everyone in range) and you have a character around whom no one else can succeed at anything, and one of those people is utterly fucked. No resistances, no resource expenditure (except your once-a-scene curse). It was utter bullshit because there isn't really a counter to "your dicepools are shit" except blind luck, and that's JUST Envy.
>>
So, what do we call the combination of WoD and CofD now? Do we call it the Realms of Darkness?
>>
File: Skeleton.png (144 KB, 421x684) Image search: [Google]
Skeleton.png
144 KB, 421x684
>>44133175
>>
Friendly reminder that you're all niggerlovers and SJWs
>>
>>44133204
>Realms of Darkness

Sounds good.

>>44133234
Man, you should ask my wife. She is the real niggerlover, tbqh senpai.
>>
>>44133322
I motion we call this the Realms of Darkness general /rodg/
>>
>>44133322

The way I see it, the names are already silly enough, might as well go all the way.

>>44133414

>/rodg/

Kneel before...Rod?
>>
File: ScruffySeconded.jpg~c200.jpg (11 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
ScruffySeconded.jpg~c200.jpg
11 KB, 200x200
>>44133414
>>
>>44133443
>Kneel before...Rod?

My players regularly kneel before my Rod, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>44133234
Thanks for the reminder, reddit!
>>
>>44133234
>>>/pol/

Back to your containment board
>>
>>44132874
>People do this? How much equipment do you need to have on hand to get 3 dice from it, anyway?
Equipment bonuses are pretty easy to get in NWoD. Just look at Meditation, you get bonuses for basic stuff like Yoga mats, music, a quiet room, etc.
You can probably get equipment bonuses to Drive for stuff like having checked your oil level in the last month, or made sure the tire pressure is within tolerance.
>>
>Chronicles of Darkness opens with a The Great Gatsby Quote

Well, it's a step up from Bauhaus.
>>
>>44133827
Equipment bonuses are the opposite of external penalties.
>>
File: 1418503340494.png (122 KB, 499x594) Image search: [Google]
1418503340494.png
122 KB, 499x594
How do Assamites participate in the Vaulderie in chronicles where the Tremere Curse is still in effect?
>>
>>44134023
They don't. The Assamites were written as a Storytelling tool to single out players not to invite to the second session.
>>
>>44133000
>the 1e/2e oWoD setting.
This is without the impending apocalypse? What are they going to do about the thin-bloods and shit?
>>
>>44134144

We'd probably be going back to "There's an impending apocalypse, things are building up!" like in 1e and 2e. That's what I mean by hard reboot, a full on starting from first principles. But that's just my speculation. For all we know, Paradox is going to swipe Eddy Webb's notes on VtM 4e and set it after Gehenna instead of before.
>>
>>44134093
I see. Hmm, then how shall we deal with our resident Assamite to make him more obedient without just killing him? I wouldn't want to be That Fella.
>>
>>44134206
He became The Bloke by playing an Assamite in the first place.
>>
How has the book not been put up yet? For the love of god, please.
>>
>>44134252
Good point. I've already had to Master his Mortal Shell once.
>>
>>44134254
If you want it that much, pay for it you fucking mooch
>>
File: 1422629743114.jpg (123 KB, 600x441) Image search: [Google]
1422629743114.jpg
123 KB, 600x441
Do we have rules for weapons mods in the new edition?
>>44134254
>>44134368
Fuck that, where is the PoD? Or, for that matter, Paradox announcement on whether they'll try to get the books into stores? Even if it's just V20, VtR and CoD.
>>44134252
>>44134093
What is wrong with Assamites? Not implying there isn't, but I want to know.
>>44133414
>I motion we call this the Realms of Darkness general /rodg/
I second this motion.
>>44129266
>Why Spirits?
Because I'm utterly illiterate and wrote Spirits instead of Ghosts.
>>
Sorry, double-post
>>44128929
>What does that mean?
It means that having a Medium arround allows the Sin-Eater to pull off fancier Manifestations more easily.
>>44128729
Good to hear.
>>44129840
I like this.
>>
File: fireborn.jpg (45 KB, 500x346) Image search: [Google]
fireborn.jpg
45 KB, 500x346
Trying to modify the nWoD storyteller system to run dragons as PCs, because Fireborn has been a game I've always wanted to play but the rules are ridiculous.

Trying to do this setup with my GF, but it's not going so good. Any advice?
>>
>>44135157
Question, why do you want to use WoD for this?

Read everything in DtD and Second Sight if you're deadset on using this.

...I wonder if a splat that's essentially American Dragon with a dash of Dreaming and Descent would be interesting.
>>
>>44135043

We do, actually. You roll a Build Equipment (dice pool depends on what you're modding, it's not just weapons) with a penalty of the difference between the old equipment mod and the new equipment mod.
>>
>>44135343
We want to because it's familiar. That's literally the only reason.
>>
>>44135386
Branch out you faggot. It's good to try new things.
>>
>>44135386
>We want to because it's familiar. That's literally the only reason.
That's not a very good reason, anon. Give One Roll Engine a try perhaps.
>>
>>44128514
So this One World of Darkness thing was basically rebranding, huh? No other news or cool products, just "here's a new user ID, we'll be taking oWoD after you finish consolidation, okay see you later"?
>>
>>44135656
get ready for larp shitheads failed launch of new cWoD material, coming never along with a failed tv show and shitty videogame in the year of our lord 2021
>>
>>44135656

Pretty much. In theory, White Wolf now has two IPs to sell, but I doubt they'd take advantage of the CHRONICLES OF DARKNESS right away. Ideally I'd like both books to be on regular store shelves, but what's probably going to happen is that we're going to see the WoD books in bookstores, and CofD keeps being on DriveThru and PoD only, same for Exalted.
>>
>>44135567
GURPS has an entire book focused on dragons, too.
>>
>>44135656

They're planning on FFG board games and some media franchise that requires talking to suits with the memory of guppies.
>>
>>44130483
>AAA video game
>Masquerade

Anyone could see it coming but that doesn't make it any less sad.
>>
>>44132066
>You don't need Resources to have a house and a car.

You fucking should though, because vast swathes of humanity don't have that. This is a constant problem with the WoDs, that 'baseline competence' means 'middle class American'. The system never puts detail where it might be meaningful.
>>
>>44136117
>You fucking should though, because vast swathes of humanity don't have that. This is a constant problem with the WoDs, that 'baseline competence' means 'middle class American'. The system never puts detail where it might be meaningful.

bruh

there's a reason that Resources is no longer a static number of american dollars but instead refers to general states of prosperity that should be adjusted by setting

Resources is extra money you have lying around. The game by default assumes a living standard for wherever you are. In some places like America, that might be a lot of money, or it might only be a little, or it might mean a car, or no car at all. It will vary heavily depending on where you are.

If you want to play a character who is disadvantaged, then you want to get rewarded for that, don't you? You should take a Persistent Condition to reflect that every night and every meal is a struggle for you.
>>
>>44135567
>>44135443
I've never really read GURPS before, just seen how divisive it is. I'd be willing to give it a shot, but not sure how much the gf is.

Never really heard anything about One Roll Engine.

Think Fate would work?
>>
>>44134368
I blew my gaming budget on M20.
>>
>>44136117

Middle-class Americans are pretty much the standard protagonist in horror, so if anything it's just following the trend. If horror happens to the rich, it's "just desserts", if it happens to the poor, its "kicking them when they're down". You need a place in the middle so the lizard brain can feel scared, I guess.
>>
>>44136538
>M20

https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1449963675287.webm
>>
>>44136538
>>
>>44136504

FATE and GURPS can handle pretty much anything, depend on what your taste for crunch is. One Roll might be your speed because it's Stat+Skill d10 dicepool like WoD, except results are determined by both die number and number of dice with that number, so you could have results like 99, where it's doing something well but slowly, or 1111111, where it's doing things poorly but quickly.
>>
>>44136504
>divisive
That's mostly people meming. GURPS supplements are well-researched, and tend to be good resources, even if you're not using the system.

ORE is ...d10 dice pool? The effects of your roll are based on its height and width (value and number of dice). Ex: you roll 7 dice, and get 3 9s, 2 8s, a 5, and a 3. The height is 9, the width is 3. If it were 3 3s and 1 9, the height would be 3.
>>
>>44135960

I don't know if AAA always means bad, it's just a budget denotation. If it's AAA from CD Project RED, it could be good. If it's AAA from Ubisoft, it'll just be mediocre. If it's AAA from Phoenix Games, it might be time to panic because that company should have nowhere near that much money.
>>
>>44136644
>>44136651
Oh, the same one Monsters and Other Childish Things runs on? Yeah, I do have that. I'll give it a look, thanks.

Is there a core or should I just use MOACT?
>>
>>44136709
No I just wanted the nWoD to be the face of future vidyas. Another VtM crpg might be good, but it won't be as good as it could have been.
>>
>>44130708

Grey aliens show up as a "we don't know what the fuck these are" critter in a Mage book.
>>
>nWoD has become the hideous child of FATE and GUMSHOE

This will make everyone but me angry. Thank you, god.
>>
>>44137268
I drink the tears of whiners
>>
>>44137083
>"we don't know what the fuck these are" critter
These are the best kind of monster.

I was legitimately annoyed at the new corebook for explaining the origins of its sample monsters.
>>
>>44137268

I think only one person's been angry in this thread, and they called it the "Satanic lovechild of Apocalypse World and FATE", which is...maybe just a bit too dramatic and a sign that they should go outside. I don't have a problem with the game picking up some lessons from them newfangled storygames, but man does it make the system show its age. StoryPath becoming the house system for OPP can't come fast enough.
>>
>>44130755
speaking as someone who followed l5r for a while holy GOD do i hope the metaplot shit stays with wod and cofd remains relatively metaplot free.
>>
>>44135043
>Fuck that, where is the PoD?
It'll be released after they complete their crowdsourced proofreading.
>>
>>44130839
90s. Aliens weren't goth enough.

You can probably just make aliens with the new monster rules.
>>
>>44137545
>It'll be released after they complete their crowdsourced proofreading.
It's classy that Rose shut down everything that wasn't spelling. Even grave layout errors like the size charts.
>>
So now that Paradox is making announcements and shit, does that mean releases will speed back up?

It's been a dry few months.
>>
>>44137661
Purified 2e any day now
>>
>>44137661

The main problem is solved, so one can assume so.
>>
>>44137661
Maybe we can start getting some Deviant info, and the Demon STG can come out.
>>
anyone got a leak of the new book?
>>
>>44137923
This'll get asked every 20 minutes for the next two weeks, won't it.
>>44137545
>It'll be released after they complete their crowdsourced proofreading.
I sure hope they actually edit the organization as well. They've recently become better but with WW/OP there's always room for improvement.
>>44135346
>We do, actually. You roll a Build Equipment (dice pool depends on what you're modding, it's not just weapons) with a penalty of the difference between the old equipment mod and the new equipment mod.
Really cool.
>>
Fingers crossed for one of the Paradox brass to fall in love with Mummy so we can get more books.

It's fucking criminal that we aren't getting Book of Going Westward.
>>
>>44138223

Given our luck, they'll fall right in love with Mummy The Resurrection. I do hope that Chronicles of Darkness doesn't become Paradox's "other" line, though. It'd be a bummer if they didn't take at least some off the promotion pressure off of OPP.

All I know is, I'd love a Mummy 2e with an eventual book of Going Westward in the line, please and thank you Universe.
>>
>>44138365
>no Night Horrors book for Mummy
>no guide to playing as cultists
>no rules for mortal sorcerers
>no Asian setting
>no Book of Going Westward

At least we got some damn good Dark Eras. Being a Mummy fan is suffering.
>>
CofD desperately needs a book about organizations.

Pretty much every splat has options for dedicated cults, yet there's fuck-all beyond one Merit to represent membership and half of a subsystem for running one.
>>
>>44137577
>Even grave layout errors like the size charts.
I still see the post pointing out the size chart being in the wrong spot and the vehicles chart being fucked up.
>>
>>44138160
Hey, man, I'm starting a Demon game next semester and Deviant looks awesome. Why two weeks, though? Are we hearing something in two weeks?
>>
>>44138160
Meant to quote >>44137954

>>44138365
>>44138223
>Resurrection
Meeeeeeeh.
I hope they fall in love with Orpheus, it's excellent and could perhaps work as a limited-run reboot. Or perhaps just a fiction anthology.
>>44138550
>Hey, man, I'm starting a Demon game next semester
Sounds great. Make sure your players understand the cost and worth of Cover well, it can be excruciating getting everyone on the same page.
>Deviant looks awesome
As far as I've seen, it does.
>Why two weeks, though? Are we hearing something in two weeks?
That's how long it usually takes for any books that aren't D&D to get leaked. Even SR and PF tend to take a fairly long time.
>>
>>44138669

Orpheus material is in Wraith20, as a look at the company and that setting before the Maelstrom. I'm super hyped for that.
>>
>>44138747
>Wraith20
>coming out
HAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>44137385
I love what you name "system showing its age", and I play Mage using creative thaumaturgy for rules-obviating shenanigans like teleporting things inside people. (Provided I beat their resistance, of course.)

I also feel like full "story means more than actual character capabilities" is a shit outlook.

Fite me.
>>
>>44131132

Aliens exists in Mage. The mind fuck you when you visit different solar systems in Astral Space.
>>
File: 1435615442476.jpg (163 KB, 625x950) Image search: [Google]
1435615442476.jpg
163 KB, 625x950
Are there any oWoD rituals, powers, or other mischief in any of the old books that would allow the reconstruction/resurrection/revival of a Kindred as a Kindred? Something to restore the Finally Dead, so to speak?
>>
What's some good music for getting into the 90s-ness of oWoD? I've got Bauhaus and Ministry, have any other recommendations?
>>
>>44139066
Yeah, there's a couple.

Sorcery's 6th level would let.
Mages can totally do it.
9+ levels of disciplines can.
>>
>>44138874

Just because you can bust up Mage doesn't make Storytelling not a creaky old system with differently colored new bits stapled on that makes the rest of the engine groan and bend in trying to make it all mesh. I'm not even sure where you got the "Story vs Full Character Options" thing because that's not even a dichotomy: well crafted systems have both for the focus of their game. I'm not saying that Storytelling needs to become some kind of hippy dippy story game thing, its medium crunch approach is its greatest strength, but I am saying that I would have liked to have seen a new version designed from scratch, ready and willing to tackle White Wolf's sacred cows.
>>
>>44139312
>I am saying that I would have liked to have seen a new version designed from scratch, ready and willing to tackle White Wolf's sacred cows.
I'm pretty sure the problem was CCP literally wouldn't let them just use a system that wasn't Storyteller for WoD and Exalted, and unfortunately with this many new corebooks using it already out they can't just scrap it and start over now that Paradox is in charge and may have different demands. You'll note that they wrote and are using a new system actually designed around games like Scion and Trinity for Scion and Trinity, which they actually own and can do what they want with.
>>
So if I'm getting this right,

WW will only work on pushing WoD forward while the 20th anniversary books and CoD stay with OPP and they work seperately in pumping new books out. Then, presumably once W20 comes out OPP is just gonna work on CoD and WW is going to be WoD.

Sounds good to me.
>>
>you can run 20 feet up a wall with 2 athletics and 2 parkour

so you can climb a two story building by just running up a 90 degree angle. cool.
>>
>>44139413

I'm aware both of those things, StoryPath looks damn good, That's part of the reason I'm grumbling, really. The new rules in Chronicles of Darkness are still OK; I really like the new equipment rules. It's just that it could be better, and there's only so much you can do when you don't get to mess under the hood.

That said, I think the actual splats themselves are doing a fine job with updating. Mage looks like it's going to be the best update so far, though Werewolf's revision of Gifts is still one of the greatest feats of second edition.
>>
>>44139567
>No Hunter20 or Demon20
>>
>>44139567

Exalted, too. White Wolf's just gonna do WoD in-house and OPP does Exalted, CofD, Scion, Trinity, Pugmire, and Cavaliers of Mars.
>>
>>44139646

I'm implying those will come out long before Wraith.
>>
>>44139624
I take it you've never seen a Parkour video.
>>
>>44135043
>>44135125
Will you finish your version of Medium rules?
>>
>>44130802
Neither of these are off limits. The World of Darkness has Greys all over the place, and a faction of mages who fly spaceships partially crewed by them. The Chronicles of Darkness has full-on Time Travel in Demon and Mage, and flirts with it in bits of Mummy. UFOs are in Mage, too.
>>
>>44140198
>and a faction of mages who fly spaceships partially crewed by them.
It does? I don't recognize these guys.
>>
File: Neolithic Sin-Eater.jpg (176 KB, 650x700) Image search: [Google]
Neolithic Sin-Eater.jpg
176 KB, 650x700
>>44140045
>Will you finish your version of Medium rules?
Yes. It'll probably suck but I've been told that you get better by sucking a lot.
>>44138747
>Orpheus material is in Wraith20, as a look at the company and that setting before the Maelstrom. I'm super hyped for that.
Fukken schweet.
>>44136710
>>44136504
There IS technically an unofficial ORE "core" called ORE Toolbox, but you can just use MAOCT since each ORE game is adjusted to the respective setting.
>>
>>44140198
>The Chronicles of Darkness has full-on Time Travel
Is "has" or "have" the correct word there? It's a title, but Chronicles is a plural.
>>
>>44140211
Void Engineers, anon. Void Engineers. One of their servitor races (like HIT marks for ItX and Men in Black for the NWO) are Grey-type aliens.
>>
>>44140226
Has is correct. Compare: 'The Corrections is a 2001 novel by American author Jonathan Franzen.'
>>
>>44140336
oh, sorry, I read that one as nWoD too for some reason. As far as I knew oWoD had always had space travel and aliens.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.