[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /out/, Right now I'm using a flip knife I bought at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: mora.jpg (172 KB, 1024x568) Image search: [Google]
mora.jpg
172 KB, 1024x568
Hey /out/,

Right now I'm using a flip knife I bought at my local hardwear store to take /out/. I've read good things about Mora's on here and was wondering if their good knives? I would just use it for various thing's around camp, cooking, chopping wood, etc, maybe cleaning game every now and then.

Thanks in advance
>>
>>628889
i have that knife, had it for about 6 years and its still sharp, havent sharpened it once. good blade length, practical. ive split logs and cut rope and what not with it, also easy to conceal when out and about, would definitely recomend
>>
>>628889
Yes. I bought mine in stainless and love it. Ignore the shitty guy with the wal mart fishing knife that undoubtedly post here.
>>
why would you want such an ugly knife, anon?
>>
File: 221.jpg (13 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
221.jpg
13 KB, 300x100
>>628889
Why a knife when you can use this instead.
>>
>>628889
>>628908
>chopping wood with a knife
literally fuck you

>hurrr my knife is still sharp after 6 years
if you actually believe that, you do not know what a sharp knife feels like
>>
>>628917
you can split a log vertically with it, if youre in the bush with no hatchet its better than bare hands, chuck norris.
>>
>>628917
you dont need a fucking kurambit to cut rope, its sharp enough for its needs and im sure it can still cause a puncture wound
>>
>>628918
Why would you go into the wilderness needing to chop wood and not bring a hatchet?
>>
>>628917
what's wrong with chopping with a knife? I have a Fallkniven s1 that i've used to chop wood, butcher deer, cut drywall, etc. and it's worked fine
>>
>>628923
I think it might be a cultural thing. I was taught to respect tools as a kid. Intentionally using a tool for a task it's not meant for is disrespectful...and fucking stupid.

The only exception would be an actual survival situation,
however much anyone here might want to think they are hardcore survival mode when on a planned camping trip, they are not. Plan accordingly and bring an axe if you know you will need to chop firewood.

The only knives that are meant for chopping of any kind are machete and khukri type blades. And any other exceptions that will undoubtedly be thrown in my face. Other than those...a knife is meant for cutting.
>>
>>628922
because in england you can get done for that sorta thing
>>
>>628928
>>628920
It's also disrespectful to leave your tools in a state of disrepair. If you do not take care of a tool you use with some frequency, you do not deserve to possess it.
Not sharpening your knife for 6 years is not a point of pride. Not even slightly.
>>
>>628929
Stop living in a Nanny State then, that seems to be a bigger issue.
>>
>>628928
>>628935
>disrespectful
Tools don't have feelings and they aren't showpieces either, they're tools.
>>
>>628935
i think i found a 40K techpriest
>>
>>628935
idk i've had a buck knife for 7 years and it still cuts fine
>>
>>628918
Use the knife to sharpen pegs then use a big stick to drive them in.
I have never had to baton wood. Fucking retards.
>>
>>628943
...just like you.
Beside the fact that you seem not to understand my point, your reply is a good example of why I say it might be a cultural thing.
>>
i buy them in bulk from the factory in mora for around 3$ a peice. great knifes. only ones i have is mora knives.
>>
>>628946
>idk I have a knife I've almost never used in 7 years and it's fine
>>
File: ff_1827.jpg (60 KB, 790x588) Image search: [Google]
ff_1827.jpg
60 KB, 790x588
>>628917
relax fgt
>>
Does no one check the catalog? I mean really.

Knife threads here:
>>615400
Here:
>>628890
Here:
>>621752
And here:
>>626736
I love moras, I do but I'm sick of 40 threads on them.
>>
File: 1447244207885.jpg (2 MB, 3456x2592) Image search: [Google]
1447244207885.jpg
2 MB, 3456x2592
>>628928

What about choppers then?

They do the job and are lighter than a hatchet.

Also better in the jungle
>>
>>628964
I understand your point, I just find it pretentious and condescending, especially bullshit like "If you do not take care of a tool you use with some frequency, you do not deserve to possess it".

I take care of my tools because they cost money and I don't like waste, but ultimately they're made to be used, not coddled, and when they're used up you replace them witout sentimentality. And sometimes you have to improvise, for field repairs or if the right tool is too expensive for the 3 times in your life you'll actually need it.

The whole point of a cheap utilitarian tool like a Mora is that you don't have to worry about abusing it.
>>
File: Clipboard02.png (4 KB, 150x65) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard02.png
4 KB, 150x65
>>629250
You're kind of right, I sometimes am a condescending asshole. In my defence I was raging about chopping because I envision someone trying to split a log as thick as the blade is long. Or someone trying to chop a branch off a tree by beating it with a (relatively) tiny mora. People actually do this. So there. No hard feelings, eh?
>>
>>628923
>cut drywall

y tho? you could have just gotten a mora for that, and not shortened the life of a beautiful tool
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (221 KB, 630x421) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
221 KB, 630x421
>>628908
>had it for about 6 years and its still sharp,
>havent sharpened it once
>6 years
>still sharp

Ayy lmao
>>
>>628996
Is this the /out/ version of a gloryhole?
>>
>>628889
>I would just use it for various thing's around camp, cooking, chopping wood, etc, maybe cleaning game every now and then.

They're fine utilitarian knives. You should not use it for "chopping wood" but for general tasks it is a superb value.

I have some very expensive knives (a pair of Randalls) and my cheapo Mora is my go-to field knife unless I'm hunting big game, where I prefer a hollow ground blade over Scandi.
>>
>>629236
Ive used one to baton, why not.

I have a ESEE Junglas, that thing is so fucking thick that batoning it won't hurt it at all. (unless it's like -30°C out, but even then it'd probably be fine)

I mean, an axe would be better, but if your trying to hip cary something to split wood, I'd likely take the ESEE. If I'm carrying it on pack, axe for sure.
>>
>>632107
I know, right? Fuck this retardew knifr thread, I'm getting a weird boner right now.
>>
>>628889
Go for the Mora OP. I have the stainless steel version of the knife in your pic and it's my most used fixed blade. You won't be chopping any wood with it though. Just get a hatchet.
>>
>>628889
Get an opinel, a dedicated skinner, and something to process wood.

Knives aren't for processing wood, and an opinel will slice better at the same price point. For a skinner you want a bladeshape with a lot of belly, old hickory carbon steel is meant to be good, and victorinox makes some cheap ones.
>>
>>628889

Moras will do what they were designed to do and do it well. They hold an edge, they are good for light to moderate tasks, and they aren't heavy. I have seen people filet fish with them and baton wood if they are tools and think that is a good idea. Personally I wanted something I could beat the ever living shit out of because I am hard on things and know it. I want to carry one knife that I can rely on NO MATTER WHAT SITUATION I AM IN. I bought a Becker BK-7 and I have done everything except shave with it in the woods because I keep a working edge on it, not a razor edge.

In the past two weeks I have: prepared meat, chopped down a tree thicker than my forearm, split dry wood of almost the same thickness in one to two blows, shaved small wood filings for tinder, cut ropes/cordage/etc., broken open nuts with the pommel, various tasks around the house like opening boxes and packages, etc. It can do anything besides really fine whittling or carving a spoon without lots of swearing. This is only due to its large size.

You have to decide: do you want a full tang/pommel and a beastly knife or do you need it for smaller, finer tasks and not want to have a 12" knife on your hip? You will also spend 4-5x as much for the Becker as the Mora. I tend to carry a small Kershaw every day and the Becker when I am /out so I have access to a small knife if I need one.
>>
>>632846
Schrade makes good knives that compare with the bk7. I'll probably get flamed for that but it's actually true, even if they are made in China.
>>
File: 1423300663903.jpg (475 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1423300663903.jpg
475 KB, 800x600
What does /out/ recommend for babby's first sharpener?
>>
Not OP, but similar question - I bought an Olark trail pocket knife from Walmart today, how long should I expect this to last? And at what brands/price ranges are suitable for /out/ purposes?
>>
File: sharpener.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
sharpener.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
>>634244
>>
>>632107
That's more of a butthole than a gloryhole. But you can still stick your dick in either.
>>628996
I internally snicker every time
>>628967
How many do you have to buy to get that price?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.