[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
best mora?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8
I'm thinking of buying a mora. I have never owned a fixed blade, only a swiss army knife but its a bit messed up from using it to smash limpets off rocks.

What would be the best mora for general purpose outdoors? Or would a different knife altogether be better? everything suggests the moras are hard to beat but there are like 100 different models.
>>
anyone?
>>
>>628890
Moras are a good knife, but they can run on the expensive side.
Depending on what you need and use it for, you can get away with getting something that isn't $600.
What do you intend to use it for?
Personally, I dont fancy them
>>
well thanks for nothing /out/.
>>
>>628925
I'd like to know as well if anyone on this board could help. I only intend on using it for carving/bushcrafting small things and possibly gutting deer/small game. Any alternatives to a mora that would better suit my requirements are appreciated as well.
>>
>>628930
Buy the companion. It does everything you want it to. Keep in mind, if you baton with it you can break it since it isn't built for that. It should last in an emergency to do it but bring a hatchet, saw, or thicker knife made for wood splitting for just such a thing. Also >>628925 this isn't /k/. It may take you a bit to get replies. Just be patient.
>>
File: moramora.jpg (493 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
moramora.jpg
493 KB, 2560x1920
>>628890
i own 6 mora knifes, but since i visit the factory every summer i dont know if they are good for the price where you live. they sure are great knives. I buy mine 4$a peice. cant argue with that.
>>
>>628899
>>628925

This is a slow board. Your post will be up for days. Gives people time to make more informed responses in some cases. Make a post, check back in a few hours maybe, then check again tomorrow. No need to rush.

There was just a thread (started by me) about "what mora is best mora". Consensus is the Mora companion, the most common model, is the best. It will do everything you need a knife to do, as long as you don't abuse it. If you want a heavier knife, get the heavy duty companion, or the bushcraft mora.
>>
>>629106

See here
>>615400

Long thread about the best mora
>>
>>629106
The only downfall about your bushcraft is it's price. You're essentially buying the companion with a black coating(not needed) and an impractical knife sharpener and an overpriced fire steel. All of which you could buy separately starting with the companion at $12-16 depending on steel, an array of sharpening tools ranging from $7-30, and a fire steel with the strikeep for $7-10. At the cheapest prices their on par for half and at the most expensive they're better quality for the same. I would say it on your thread but it was derailed a week or so ago.

Also a saw or hatchet with a mora is an awesome combo. Even a heavier duty knife if that's your thing.
>>
>>629139
>strikeep
Striker* My tablet decided to invent a word apparently.
>>
>>629139
The bushcraft is a larger knife, and can be bought without the sharpener or fire steel sheath.
>>
>>629151
Bushcraft vs companion heavy duty

Small differences.
>>
>>629151
My mistake on misinformation as far as lengths but still well out of its price point compared to its brother blades. Not worth the investment to me, but to each their own.
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 800x800
>>628970
Sun morat näkyy, kantsisko poistaa? :DDdDd

In Finland Mora is just a cheap tool. Why you americans keep it in such a high value? Just buy one, test it and then use or ditch it lol...
>>
>>629168
I agree, I suggested ir, but really looking at it, the companion is 80% less expensive and probably works just as good.
>>
File: 41TlXunNG6L._SY400_.jpg (15 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
41TlXunNG6L._SY400_.jpg
15 KB, 500x381
>>629169
It's a cheap tool here too. We all like it because it is so cheap, not because it is so amazing.
>>
>>629169
That's what we do. The ones talking are the ones who didn't ditch it.
>>
>>629184

This tbqh

Mora is meme tier overrated.
>>
>>629242
overrated in what regard?
so far i have heard (from people that actually matter)
1) mora is good enough and cheap enough to be a beginners first choice
2) mora has good size ergonomics and durability
3) mora is easy to sharpen and maintain even by a noob
>>
a mora does everything a knife needs to. it's max utilitarian and practical, cheap and sold everywhere in eu. good grind, steel, variety of handles. the robust ones are also fine for batoning if you insist upon it. most models except classic aren't pretty, not many cool names, logos, shapes or futuristic steels. it's a tool, not a collectors item to be truthful
>>
>>629278
/thread

And stop making threads about moras. Ask on knife general. Mods are such useless faggots.
>>
>>629313

Global rule number 8:

>Complaining about 4chan (its policies, moderation, etc) on the imageboards may result in post deletion and a ban.
>>
>>629316
i wouldn't worry about it
>>
>>629266
The fact that anything gets a cult like following is immediately viewed as overrated. Those who call a mora overrated underrate knives in general believing that you need some fancy piece of expensive steel to do what a sharpened rock did for centuries. It's a good knife at an affordable rate that most "quality" american knife manufacturers wouldn't dream of making at it's price. That's why it's so amazing to Americans is really due to the price point. It's kind of like mayonnaise on a sandwich. Almost everyone who likes them adds to their set up, but it's not the only condiment or ingredient there. Some don't want it at all. Most people do.
>>
>>628890
I have the light my fire mora so I'll just comment on it. Stainless, good edge, like having the fire steel integrated into the thing and the back of the blade works well for getting sparks.
>>
>>630580
>light my fire mora
literally the most memeretarded knife ever made imo
>>
>>628901
How did you manage to pay $600 for a mora?!
>>
>>630591
he probably bought a hundred pack
>>
File: 71773319.jpg (446 KB, 800x616) Image search: [Google]
71773319.jpg
446 KB, 800x616
not all of them are cheapish "worktools". the higher priced models are worth their money. the swedish army use them too.
>>
>>632255
That looks like a Bushcraft with some camo cloth over the case.
>>
File: F1-1.jpg (583 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
F1-1.jpg
583 KB, 1280x960
>>632255
the swedish airforce uses Fällkniven F1 for survival though, comes with world class high tech blades, expensive (mora price * 20) but cheap considering.
>>
>>632564
try mora price * 10 or 12
>>
>>630589

rubbish. i've used my light my fire mora more than once during solo overnight hikes in wilderness areas in south AFRICA. NEVER have i thought "this is a shit knife, wish i had my puma". it's an excellent knife for the price.
>>
>>633539
moras are good it's just the light my fire meme edition i have issues with
>>
>>628890

I bought a mora companion today, is there anything I should do to the blade to keep it nice?

I live inland in the UK so humidity isnt an issue, am I ok leaving it in its plastic sheathe? I was told not to but plastic wont damage like leather surely?
>>
>>634325
damage? dude it's a mora you can do whatever the fuck you want with it it's almost a throwaway.
i like the plastic sheath it's bulky but it gives extra protection to the blade if you fell on it or something it is also very resistant to wear and weather unlike leather and fabrics.

it's a utility knife you should treat it accordingly and keep it sharp.
>>
>>634325
>am I ok leaving it in its plastic sheathe? I was told not

It should be fine. What did they say would happen?
>>
>>634325
Friction from both can dull or bend the blade after repeat use but that's years and hundreds if not thousands of repeated pulls in and out. I wouldn't concern with it in either case. Just use it and keep it sharp.
>>
>>634468
>bend the blade
i call bullshit on that
>>
File: _DSC7027_zps244741ab.jpg (555 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
_DSC7027_zps244741ab.jpg
555 KB, 1000x665
>>633491
Depends, you can get a mora for 40sek at "jula" in sweden and fällkniv f1 for 1300sek on the net. Not dissing mora, i only got those because they're good and a few lapp knifes.
>>
>>634336
used a mora as a wedge with a hammer to split two pieces of metal (softer than the knife) that were spot welded together, today. Worked great, solved my problem and no harm done to the knife.
>>
>>634580
I'm talking gentle curl not a 90 degree angle. Or rolling the tip. Easy killer.
>>
>>634774
Fin kniv där vad är det för någon?

I use a Mora 4000 (I think it's what it's called, green, symmetric handle and sheath) and it's great piece of metal
Great, solid, stable. Not full tang which is a bummer but for the price it's really good bang for the buck
I call a mora challenge, if you find a better knife for less money you win a kåsa. No way you'll find that quality even near that price segment.
>>
>>634775
I used an old clipper to cut a hole in my garage door (I was installing a dog door).
It did the job. Fucked the edge up good and proper though. A little time on the stone and it was sharp again.
>>
>>628901

> mora
> expensive

When did that happen?
>>
>>634790
i dare you to post source of a plastic sheath bending the tip
will eat my jizz if you do
>>
>>634790

I call bullshit. Or you're just a retard, put an already fucked up blade back into the sheath, then think you broke it due to that.
>>
>>634342

They said sheathe material can put moisture/chemicals onto the blade but I assume they meant treated leather
>>
>>635856
the plastic sheath does not touch the blade any moisture will flow down on the walls and exit down the sinkhole.
also if your blade is stainless it doesn't matter much anyways. make sure no salt deposits if near sea tho.
you might want to coat in oil every steel thing near sea.
>>
>>635863
the plastic sheath does trap some moisture. make sure it and the blade is dry before any long time storage.
>>
>>634468
>Friction from both can dull or bend the blade after repeat use but that's years and hundreds if not thousands of repeated pulls in and out.

Try trillions. The fatigue limit of steel is very high, if you are not stressing it outside of its elastic range it will not permanently deform.
>>
>>636289
Never mind that the sheath on a mora never actually touches the blade of the knife at any point.
>>
>>634857
>>634882
>>636289
>>636295
Ok, I said CAN and yes it can. I also said in the VERY NEXT SENTENCE not to concern with it in any regard. Did you all just read that one and go up in arms?
>>
>>636332
>Ok, I said CAN and yes it can.

But it can't. Its not physically possible.
>>
>>635863
>>635872

Thanks
>>
>>628970
love that scout knife svenbro
I'm sporting mora 2000 from Naturkompaniet for my /out/ stuff, for edc I have a trapper pocketknife
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.