[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 52
File: Green Is My Pepper.gif (29 KB, 216x270) Image search: [Google]
Green Is My Pepper.gif
29 KB, 216x270
Previously on: >>55618567

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos Thread
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Vidya Thread
>>
File: Quitter logo.jpg (7 KB, 263x90) Image search: [Google]
Quitter logo.jpg
7 KB, 263x90
On Quitter.se (GNU Social), I can't find any group. There are no groups on this unity of the federation? The page that lists groups appears to be empty!
>>
i've been trying to setup xdmcp on ubuntu 16.04 using gnome, port is listening and i can connect remotely but after login it shows black screen and shows me login again

what should i do, should i stop trying, wasting my time and to try to setup a vnc server?
>>
>>55625650
Any ffmpeg wizards here?

I'm trying to convert a .gif and a .ogg file into a single webm. So basically the .gif should loop allover and the .ogg is background music.

How to do this?
>>
Anyone know how to fix having icons turn black when they are selected? I'm using mint, and evidently I fucked up a file, but I've uninstalled the theme/.css files I've edited the most so I don't know where to go.
>>
>>55625705
Is this a joke, or a serious question?
>>
Been having tons of problems just getting a linus distro to boot properly on my rig

amd cpu
amd gpu

Tried mint and kubuntu both gave me graphical errors and froze unless I used nomodeset, but then I was on an unusable resolution.....

decided to try lubuntu as I read about the upcoming DE featured on it.

Put it on a usb and had absolutly no problems booting to a fully usable live desktop, full resolution, even recognized my dual monitors without me having to write a book in grub.

Seems a bit ironic it was the bloat in the popular distros that was causing my issue
>>
>>55625650
what passphrase generator do you guys use?
>>
>>55625786
OK. Are you asking like "a whole pepper at once" or "some pieces of a pepper"? Are you asking about bellpeppers? And, at last, are you talking about it cooked, or raw?
>>
>>55625690
I think it'd be something like
ffmpeg -i gif -vcodec blah... -i ogg -acodec blah... out.webm

>>55625680
not a lot of people uses that... it's trendy in some countries, or so I've heard, but...

>>55625705
no, but I've used GIMP.

>>55625817
what GPU?

>>55625829
keepassx
>>
>>55625829
>you guys
I'm just 1 anon. We are not Anonymous. We are not Legion.
>>
>>55625847
>not a lot of people uses that
I know:
https://gnu.io/social/resources/faq/
> But you'll never beat Facebook, so why bother?
>Maybe everyone in the world won't use this, but not everyone uses Facebook either. Privacy is important, and lots of people value their privacy as well as their freedom to ensure the software they're using isn't doing things they don't want.

Just replace "Facebook" by "Twitter".
>>
Randomly i have been having horrible performance on a few drives.
I have done maintence on all of them, but they dont seem to change anything.I jumps from ~300mb/s for about 30 seconds then it drops down to less then 10mb/s randonmly. Days it works fine, then later it swaps back to being shit

xfs is the filesystem
>>
File: greenismypepper1413706336839.png (495 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
greenismypepper1413706336839.png
495 KB, 512x512
>>55625650
I'll just leave this here
>>
>>55625847
gpu is 7870myst
cpu 750k

I kept getting random distorted screens I was unable to manipulate or a constant repeating unintelligable error about Radeon
>>
>>55625871
fuck off fag where did i call you anonymous. there are more than one anon in flt thread fag.
>>55625847
i get keepassx,keepassx2
which is better?
>>
>>55625955
>there are more than one anon in flt thread fag
You quoted me when replying to the thread! And of course I am anonymous. Check the green non-name on each post!
>>
>>55625943
Thank you!
>>
>>55625958
OK, the answer: yes. I have already eaten a bellpeper. And you?
>>
I have an .mkv video file with .h264 video and vorbis (ogg) audio.

I used audacity to remove noise from my video, and would like to make a new video file by combining the video stream from my original mkv file with the new vorbis audio stream i exported from audacity.

Can anyone spoonfeed me the command to give to FFMPEG in my command line?
>>
Since gimp seems to be hot now.
Can anyone recommend brushs?
All i see are retarded kid shit,blood platter,90001 variations of the sun.
Just looking for normal ass brushes
>>
I have never used linux
I have an IO completion ports c++ server running on windows cloud servers(azure), but its too expensive so I am going to convert this code so that it can run in a linux server like (linode)
but I don't know where to start
do I have to install ubuntu? or what other way is there? what's the best way?
what's the best sockets library for performance in linux?(it's for a game server)
>>
>>55626072
If you want to start learning to use Linux, use Ubuntu. It tries to be as easy as possible for Windows users.
>>
>>55626072
Install Gentoo musl/uclibc nomultilib at least.
>>
>>55626072
there are two thread where you could have asked this, >>>/g/fglt and >>>/g/dpt
my suggestion: download virtualbox and a ready-made VM from https://virtualboxes.org/images/ubuntu/ , then google how to setup the dev environment, or ask dpt or something
>>
>>55626160
fuck off dumb namefag
>>
>tfw you destroy the server you've been working on all day in digitalocean's control panel

fugg you guys, i'm so stupid !!
>>
>>55625955
2 has support for the newer better password database.

suggest getting 2
>>
>>55626869
>using control panel
>>
anyone with a 480 try the new drivers yet?

gonna get the card, and wondering how good amd cards will finally be on loonix
>>
>>55626902
i was there to destroy an older server the new one was meant to replace.

woe on me
>>
Why doesn't tab work with command options?
>>
File: 1324804994098.jpg (367 KB, 1380x1024) Image search: [Google]
1324804994098.jpg
367 KB, 1380x1024
I used to convert my audio with foobar's plugin converters, what do I use on ganoo slash leenoox? Clementine has a transcoder in it, but I'd like to know if there was a better alternative.
>>
>>55627063
Install bash-completion
>>
>>55627174
ffmpeg
>>
Can anyone confirm that gThumb won't display the status bar until set to full screen and back? I'm using 3.4.3.
>>
>>55627174
sound converter
>>
>>55627174
ffmpeg -i foo.wav foo.flac

etc.
>>
If I set up a limited user account on Windows and only use that account (never the admin account) will I be as safe as when I use Ubuntu?

If not, what vulnerabilities do I have compared to when I use Ubuntu? If there are too many just tell me important ones.
>>
>>55625650
Maybe a stupid question rather than a GNU/Linux question but I was wondering how does intel graphics work out of the box in any Linux installation? I'm asking without fully understanding if the thing that is working actually a part of kernel that does the graphical computation in CPU. Can someone enlighten me?
>>
File: soundkonverter.png (221 KB, 1920x686) Image search: [Google]
soundkonverter.png
221 KB, 1920x686
>>55627245
>>55627631
That was pretty silly of me. Thanks anons.

>>55627480
Thanks. It doesn't appear to have that many options however. Also took a look at the kde converter, and holy shit.
>>
>>55627631
How come you need to specify codecs in ffmpeg sometimes? Like when converting to webm, you gotta go "-c:v libvpx" or do you not actually have to do that..?
>>
>>55627920
NEVER KDE OR GNOME LIBS
WHOLE SYSTEM DIE
>>
File: 1468566820012.png (48 KB, 379x520) Image search: [Google]
1468566820012.png
48 KB, 379x520
How can I be sure when I remove a package that it won't break something else on my installation?
>>55627919
Works fine for me. You might want to put
Option      "TearFree"    "true"
in your xorg.conf if screen tearing is an issue for you.
>>
>>55627929
You need that codec for webm encoding depending on where you're posting it.4chan cant use vpx9 so it uses vpx8
>>
>>55627929
If you want something other than the default. For example, when encoding webms to post to 4chan, you must usr the -c:v vp8 codec because 4chan doesn't support ffmpeg's default vp9 webms.
>>
How do I check if dd is running on a server remotely from terminal?

I can view all the processes but I am unsure how to limit results to things that contain 'dd'
>>
>>55628066
ps wwaux | grep dd
>>
>>55628066
I don't understand. Do you want to see exactly what dd is cloning at the moment or just want to check if it's running?

If former, I'd advise a google search with terms "dd verbose". If latter you can do:
ps -e | grep dd
[\code]
>>
Has anyone got pixivutil to work?

I've downloaded all the modules it requires but it fails on a lot of images.
>>
>>55628093
It's just writing zeroes from a failed attempt before (the cloned disk was unreadable). So I just want to see if its running.

Thanks.
>>55628080
Thanks
>>
>>55628066
[ -n !"`pidof dd`" ] && echo "running"
>>
>>55628093
>>55628080
Is 18435 dd?

If not - I think it isn't running anymore which may have caused the problems before.

I am at work and SSHing to home - how do I run DD from here so it doesn't care if my wifi connection goes down or not (I have to move between rooms so I close my laptop).

Thanks for your help.
>>
File: pid.png (48 KB, 1106x170) Image search: [Google]
pid.png
48 KB, 1106x170
>>55628146
Forgot my screenshot
>>
>>55628146
That is process number probably. It shouldn't only give process numbers. That number is unique, I can't say 18435 will always be given to dd.

ssh is a different process, I'm not sure what it does by default when the connection is down but you can configure it to keep everything going no matter what. Because it's just another computer, just because the connection is gone doesn't mean it should stop.
>>
>>55628146
>>55628163
No, 18435 is the grep command you just ran. If that's the only one then the previous dd is no longer running.
>>
>>55628202
Hm, how do I start dd over SSH so it doesn't fail when the terminal that contains it loses connection?
>>
>>55628229
could you tell us what the hell are you trying to do?
you don't even know how to use this... yet you are using dd. sounds dangerous as hell m8
>>
>>55628229
There is nohup for these kind of stuff but the other kind person is right. You should describe your objective along with your problem. (Refer to xy problem)
>>
>>55628243
I'm trying to clone an old drive onto another. It failed previously so I decided to write zeros.

I'm trying to copy /dev/sda to /dev/sdc

I am tempted to use ddrescue next time the first dd took ages and it ended up failing (probably same reason as this one).

:)

I'm just trying to start the process of
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdc remotely in a way that will keep working until I get home to save some tome.
>>
>>55628264
One of my drives I am storing things on is old and has some bad sectors (posts read errors regularly at certain parts of the disk).

I want to clone it and then write zeros to the drive to try correct the sectors (or otherwise bin it).

I have a spare drive of the same capacity (2TB).

I'm making a media server and want to put everything on new hard drives.

Thanks for your help so far :)

PS should I restart the dd if=/dev/zero before just copying the whole disk?

Do I copy sda1 or sda? I've been copying sda :)

So far the original drive is missing so I've only wasted time (and maybe a bit of lifespan on the other drive)
>>
>>55628283
Ok, so the ssh issue: You have about 3 alternatives,
-Change your ssh configuration so that it does not kill your session when you hang up.
-Use nohup for the process you want to run so when you hang up the process won't get killed.
-Use screen to keep your session alive.

sda is the name of the drive sda1 should be the partition. Use lsblk to check which one is which if unsure and you look like you are unsure. One complete rewrite won't kill a hard drive (even thousands won't even then they're cheap), so just learn how to do it for the sake of your future hard drives.

I'm not sure if there's a way to check how much of it is already filled with zeroes, so I can't advise you on whether or not you should do it again. But you may want to do it just for practice. Again it's not necessary to fill it with zeros before cloning something. You may need to alter the partitioning table though.
>>
>>55628341
Here's lsblk

sdc was /dev/zero'd and it hung up. No partition is there. I tried pushing it to the background with bg before I hung up, but according to running processes it didn't work.

I want to clone sda to sdc

Would the correct command for no hangup be;
nohup dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdc conv=noerror,sync

The drive has read/write errors quite frequently, but seems to work ok for now (for playing the media on it).

Should I use ddrescue instead?

Is the nohup syntax correct?
>>
>>55628419
Yeah this goes beyond my expertise, I can't advise you on these as I'm not knowledgeable on failing hard drives.
>>
downloaded ubunutu and dont see it in the boot menu options. any ideas on what to do?
>>
>>55628588
Write it to a spare USB drive.
>>
>>55628588

>>
>>55628419
is sda1 full (run df -h)? do you really need to copy the whole drive, and not just the used space?
how/why does it fail? just a few bad sectors or physical/logical damage? what does SMART data says? (run sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda to check, data is under "SMART Attributes Data Structure"
1.8T is a lot of space... it will take some time, and if the drive is failing, it may die.
>>
>>55628588
lemme guess: UEFI system and you don't know how to manage it
>>
>>55628653
Yes it is full. It is dying over lifetime and because it is wdgreen..I dunno about bad sectors
>>
fucking pissed, did a dist-upgrade from xubuntu 15.10 to 16.04 and my laptop started doing weird shit. I boot and log into xfce and it works, I log out and try to log back in and it gives me a black screen. Same happens with i3. Reinstalled intel drivers, cleaned shit with dpkg-reconfigure and rechecked if everything was fine with lightdm.

Does anyone run into something similar? or my only way out is installing from scratch? running this crap show in a x220
>>
Is the "hintstyle" option useless when "hinting" is set to false in fontconfig? Does anyone know a way to test the changes quickly, without having to restart X?

<fontconfig>
<match target="font" >
<edit mode="assign" name="autohint"> <bool>true</bool></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="hinting"> <bool>false</bool></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="lcdfilter"> <const>lcddefault</const></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle"> <const>hintslight</const></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="antialias"> <bool>true</bool></edit>
<edit mode="assign" name="rgba"> <const>rgb</const></edit>
</match>
>>
>>55627919
>how does intel graphics work out of the box in any Linux installation
Drivers.
>>
File: 2016-07-18-11:23:41.png (9 KB, 1032x72) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-18-11:23:41.png
9 KB, 1032x72
>>55627370

3.4.3 here too and this is how it looks at startup. I think the statusbar is being displayed, but you might have meant something else.
>>
>>55627953

Because a sane package manager with sane dependencies (added by humans) won't remove needed things. It might only remove some optional stuff required, but your package manager should inform you about that.
>>
>>55627919
FOSS drivers can be compiled into the kernel or just added as kernel modules.
>>
>>55630071

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#FLOSS
>>
>>55630080
Oh, I though FOSS is neutral, never mind, I am just gonna say free software.
>>
Anyone who can recommend a good pdf reader?

Need to be capable of adding notes and annotations. Preferably able to work with Adobe Reader when sending my annotated pdfs to others...
>>
>>55630124
Does evince have all you need?
>>
>>55628229
tmux?
>>
>>55630143
Nop. No annotations in evince.
Already looking around other fora for options but maybe someone here has the perfect tool for the job saving me the trouble of searching for too long.
>>
>>55630157
I was wrong... evince does have rudimentary annotations... not quite as advanced as I would like but it works for now I guess...
>>
I want to go the whole summer with a linux distro and I can't decide between Debian and one of the *buntus. What are the pros and cons of each?
>>
>>55630984
Ubuntu is just a copy of Debian with added spy and cuckware. Get the real thing.
>>
>>55630984
Try Manjaro. You can do anything with it like on Arch, but it comes prericed and is easy to use for newcomers. Also the ArchWiki will help you a lot learning the system. If you care about freedom, try Debian or Trisquel.
>>
>>55631212

>You can do anything with it like on Arch
You can do anything with any distribution like on Arch.

>Also the ArchWiki will help you a lot learning the system
That's a buzz phrase and means nothing. Anything you can learn on Arch, can be learned on other distributions as well.

>If you care about freedom, try Debian
Debian isn't an FSF approved distribution.
>>
>>55625650
I was trying out encryption with luks on a sd card. Know i cannot it and i cannot format the sd card due to i/o error
>>
>>55631380
>>Debian isn't an FSF approved distribution.
approved or not, Debian in it's default state is free as in freedom, even the kernel is blob free
>>
How do I make a script to switch my audio output to the HDMI if its index keeps changing every time I connect the cable?
Using the name of the mode doesn't work
output=<alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.hdmi-stereo-extra1>
pacmd set-default-sink $output
for i in $(pacmd list-sink-inputs | awk '$1 == "index:" {print $2}')
do
pacmd move-sink-input $i $output
done
>>
Trying to completely move away from Windows but have a few work related things I still require it for. Is there a good Linux equivalent for Originlab, Chemsketch and Endnote?
>>
>Install LxQt
>Really like the DE
>No good launcher
>PCManFM-Qt is not a thing yet
>Can't go full Qt without installing KDE
CANT WAKE UP
>>
>>55631625
dmenu, gmrun
>>
I'm making the jump /g/
Which distro do you recommend for running Android Studio? Better to use a minimal distro or debloat one of the major ones like Ubuntu?
>>
>>55631684
install gentoo
>>
>>55631724
Bait aside
It's a bit too minimal anon
>>
I'd appreciate any help, I'm a total pleb

I've installed this wifi driver here on my shitty Ideapad 100s

https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs

However, the driver freezes the whole system regularly, so I have to apply the patches provided in the 'patches' directory

I think I'm meant to patch the kernel, but I don't know how.
>>
back to page 1 with you
>>
>>55632165
>Bumping a general thread
You're fucking retarded.
>>
File: moretolife.png (1 MB, 746x718) Image search: [Google]
moretolife.png
1 MB, 746x718
What's the most mom friendly linux distro?
>>
>>55632213
Mine is happy with Debian w/ LXDE. Same with dad. Set up scripts and aliases for her and she's very happy with it
>>
>>55632213
GNU/Linux
>>
>>55632213
I've installed Ubuntu for my mom's machine. After one minute of training, she's quite happy with it.
>>
File: clueless.jpg (136 KB, 674x608) Image search: [Google]
clueless.jpg
136 KB, 674x608
>>55632270
Ubuntu and Windows aren't too friendly with the laptops wifi adapter.

>>55632246
nicemeemee.jaypug

>>55632234
alright lad
>>
Debian Unstable

looking for
>Browser with no screen tearing and decent fonts, heavy or light

Best way to automount new

How to use another gui su program on KDE or have it remember my password?

What should I do with a floppy disk?

How do K change ugly notifications from KDE Connect?

How to get DeadBeef to show up?

Interesting things to do on old hardware (PIII,128MB, Debian)?

Best ultra lightweight programs that would run fast on a computer from 2001?

Any of these would be huge help
>>
>>55632179
why?
what's with people calling others retards for bumping generals? do these fucks think generals don't expire or something?
>>
File: 1462298066753.png (537 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1462298066753.png
537 KB, 800x600
>>55632246
this
>>
>>55632295
Just make sure to have an Ethernet cable or a USB stick handy in case the netinstall with non-free firmware doesn't have her wifi driver out of the box. But rest assured you'll get the wifi working easy in no time anyway

Assuming your mom's laptop is amd64
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.5.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/

If it's i386, just change that in the URL
>>
>>55632328
>best
The one I'm using.
>>
File: 1359041455071.png (163 KB, 360x365) Image search: [Google]
1359041455071.png
163 KB, 360x365
>>55632328
Why do you continue with this copy pasta

Are you trying to force an unfunny meme?
>>
>>55632333
For starters, it was on page 4 when it was bumped. That is nowhere near death.
And yes, generals almost never expire like "normal" threads. There is going to be a person that posts in the 3-4 hours a thread has before it dies. If the threads really is going to fall off of the board before the bump limit, the thread probably deserves to die and doesn't need to be a general thread.
>>
>>55632387
Ayy officer. Any more unwritten club rules we should give no fucks about?
>>
File: 1467910483474.jpg (401 KB, 1280x1763) Image search: [Google]
1467910483474.jpg
401 KB, 1280x1763
>>55632424
You must be *this* cute to post here.
>>
>>55632424
this

>>55632387
kys sperg
>>
>>55632424
>>55632454
Lurk more, faggots.
>>
File: readytodie.jpg (43 KB, 576x521) Image search: [Google]
readytodie.jpg
43 KB, 576x521
>>55632387
>>55632424
>>55632452
>>55632454
>>55632467
and then these retards wonder why people consider Linux users autistic

pic related, me right now
>>
>>55632482
You mean you're not cute?
And can't take jokes?

Get outta here
>>
File: 1461655329467.jpg (534 KB, 3695x2224) Image search: [Google]
1461655329467.jpg
534 KB, 3695x2224
>>55632387
bump
>>
Anyone here use MEGA?

I installed the Firefox extension for it and now everytime I load its page I get this prompt.

Doesn't seem to do anything because I can just click okay and use it as normal. But still, was wondering if any of you had encountered it.

Obviously I tried to troubleshoot it like it says in the message, but it didn't work either. And I don't get the message when I have the browser extension disabled.
>>
>>55632647
install megatools
>>
It would seem that the GNOME guys just removed another feature

I'm on 3.20.2 and apparently now I can't select the double click speed, and therefore my double clicks feels super spacey and non responsive.

What do? (other than not using GNOME, I mean. Which config file should I fuck with?)
>>
>>55632678
How do Gnome developers even justify removing features for example dumbing down Nautilus?
>>
>>55631625
most of all, what PDF reader will you use?
Okular is great but pulls in KDE (4!) framework bloat
>>
>>55632697
I have no idea but it pisses me off, because I actually like GNOME in general. But this sort of thing is retarded. Whenever someone posts a screenshot of the mouse options in KDE's settings menu I ask myself why they can't have advanced options like that. Maybe even in a separate Advanced menu to not scare newbies, I don't care.
>>
>>55632678
I presume Gnome Tweak Tool has an option for that. I can't check it now so you'll have to do it.

I tried looking for a Gconf setting for you to toggle but I couldn't find it in the first 3 pages for "dconf double click speed"
>>
>>55632715
mupdf is great. Needed to search for a while to find this piece of gold. Minimal as fuck, supports pdf and epub, pulls near nothing, vim like keybinds, not bloated library, just a simple, fucking ebook reader.
>>
>>55632678
Apparently "tap to click" for touchpads is also gone as of 3.2.

I have no advice other than the one suggestion you don't want to hear.
>>
>>55632753
can it select text?
>>
>>55632772
yes, Right mouse button drag
left is for panning
>>
>>55632750
Alas, nothing there for it either

>>55632770
Ack. H-how's KDE these days?
>>
>>55631382
Check the sliding button on the SD card that prevents recording.
>>
>>55632790
double click speed is in Universal Access now (don't ask me why)
>>
>>55632678
>DE users...
multiClickTime
>>
>>55632842
Holy shit, thank you

What the fuck though
>>
>>55632511
That's a lot of green peppers. Thank you for posting!
>>
>>55632647
The sync client isn't libre!
>>
>>55632859
Do you know how I could get this volume scroll working on i3?

I haven't been able to find info on that. I actually run i3 on my laptop with no issues (already fixed mediakeys), but on my desktop I haven't found a solution for it
>>
>>55632911
use xev to find out what the key event is called when you scroll up/down
bind it
>>
>>55632931
Was about posting this.
>>
>>55632931
Thank you I'll try it out

Also, another i3 question

Since I'm using it alongside GNOME on my desktop, I use gdm as my display manager here, and lightDM on my laptop

Is there any difference between using either, aside from the appearance of the login screen?
>>
>>55631380
>>55631380
>Debian isn't FSF approved
The FSF is just extremely strict in their approval of distros. Debian is free as in freedom, but it gives users the option to download non-free parts, if they want.

From the Debian Social Contract:
>We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of works that do not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have created "contrib" and "non-free" areas in our archive for these works. The packages in these areas are not part of the Debian system, although they have been configured for use with Debian.
>>
>>55632862
That's pretty ridiculous
>>
>>55633034
Debian people are so nice, I really like them
>>
>>55632770

>Apparently "tap to click" for touchpads is also gone as of 3.2.
Install the proper libinput driver and it will work.

>but GNOME is bad i hear memes!
Idiots.
>>
>>55633144
Thanks, but I've already moved on to a DE that works for me.
>>
>>55633144
I'm still using GNOME but I'm considering switching

It really is a pain sometimes when you want to actually change something from default
>>
>>55633144
>Want to get rid of the screen shield altogether, because it appears even with Screen Lock disabled
>There's no way to set this up in the options, you have to get a extra shell extension just for it

Why are you like this, GNOME devs.

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/672/disable-screen-shield/
>>
>>55630820
Gnash works for some.
>>
why a bell pepper?
>>
File: 1441412873585.gif (152 KB, 512x480) Image search: [Google]
1441412873585.gif
152 KB, 512x480
>>55633777
Pepper is free.
>>
File: Green Pepper.jpg (41 KB, 360x257) Image search: [Google]
Green Pepper.jpg
41 KB, 360x257
>>55633777
It's a brush tool in GIMP for some reason, so people made a meme out of it where the acronym stands for "Green Is My Pepper" or some shit.
>>
I'm trying to download some webms from the gif archive using wget, but it's incredibly slow at downloading the webms (<10KB/s) compared to opening them via browser
What am I doing wrong?

wget -r -l 1 -A webm -nd -erobots=off -H https://yuki.la/gif/8291708
>>
>>55633884
Try spoofing a browser user agent
>>
What's the best "it just werks" GNU/Linux distro with KDE? Is it kubuntu?
>>
Just installed Ubuntu.
A constant noise (that of a radio that is not tuned) is heard in my headphones.
This did not happen in Windows 10.
Tried every instructions on the Internet regarding this issue. None worked.
Help. I don't want to give up on Linux just yet.
>>
Guys, how can I open a .dll file to read its insides on Linux?

There's some code I need to hack apart from it, but normal text editors don't seem to read it well. It's just an M and an unreadable character (like a font I don't have installed)
>>
>>55634199
Any distribution using KDE4.x, maybe Slackware. KDE5.x is a broken mess, especially on my dual-monitor desktop, and the developers keep blaming other people, graphics drivers and Qt. Switched to GNOME and now I can actually use my PC. I have no use for lots f config options if basic stuff just doesn't work.
>>
>>55634231
Well let's narrow down the problem

Do you hear the same thing through your speakers? Or is it exclusively through your headphones?

Is it with just *those* headphones or with any headphones/earbuds you plug in?
>>
>>55634153
thanks, that did the trick
>>
>>55634231
Turn off the microphone.
>>
File: 1465536343588.png (525 KB, 1325x1054) Image search: [Google]
1465536343588.png
525 KB, 1325x1054
>>55634153
Sort of related: Where's a good place to get a list of current useragents?
>>
What's with all the paprikas on /g/ lately?
>>
>>55634280
Just use "your mom" or "gentoo"
>>
>>55634294
>>>/9gag/
>>
>>55634258
I will try GNOME, thank you.
>>
>>55634284
There is a lot of shilling against gimp here recently so there's gotta be some resistance.
>>
I want to try Linux
Is it possible to get another HDD in my desktop and boot Linux on it while keeping the other HDD with Windows installed with boot priority?
Will this work?
I'm looking for something that would make me auto boot to Windows unless I press some buttons during post or something like that
>>
>>55634260
Both through speakers and headphones.
Strangely, only the left speaker/headphone produce this sound.
>>55634274
Did not work.
>>
>>55634339
You could set the boot order to favor the windows HDD, and then use the one-time boot override option to get at the Linux drive when needed.

This is probably simplest.
>>
File: 1457001398124.jpg (446 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1457001398124.jpg
446 KB, 1000x750
>>55634284
green is my pepper
>>
>>55634379
To clarify, both of these are BIOS functions. I think most boards support a one-time boot menu nowadays
>>
>tumblred using 100% of a core
For what purpose?
>>
>>55634361
bye bye linux
now i need to go back to windows
>>
>>55634534
Why do you act passive agressive about it?
It's not like we're going to beg you to stay if you can't have the perseverance to solve a little hurdle. We're not your personal tech support, if someone has an idea right away they'll tell you, but that's it. Google around
>>
File: 1464706462177.png (707 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1464706462177.png
707 KB, 800x533
>>55634534
You'll miss a lot of fun.
>>
>>55634555
Googled around for hours. Tried several solutions. None worked. Guessed this was my last resort. Seemed like none of you knows how to solve this. Bid my farewell. Why did this trigger you? Are you having a period?
>>
I have to wonder what these people are using that exhibits these bizarre exotic hardware issues.
I've been running Linux for going on 10 years (on as many devices), and the worst I've seen is missing wireless drivers.

Oh well
>>
>>55634586
Just curious, go to your terminal and type alsamixer. Press F6 and select option numbered 1, post results
>>
>>55634586
It would help if you told us what you tried
Become involved in your solution, you know
>>
>>55634602
same
>>
File: JLpDBX (1).png (62 KB, 763x462) Image search: [Google]
JLpDBX (1).png
62 KB, 763x462
>>55634618
Opened Alsamixer. Got pic related.
Pressed F6. System sound muted. Nothing happens in Alsamixer.
>>
File: 1445255157403.jpg (62 KB, 506x512) Image search: [Google]
1445255157403.jpg
62 KB, 506x512
>>55625943
>>
>>55634711
Press F6 again, which options do you get? I have made the first wrong assumption, so this is interesting
>>
>>55634711
>Pressed F6, system sound muted
You mean when you pressed F6, that muted your sound?
Maybe you can only access F6 with an Fn key because the default is mute? I didn't understand you very well
>>
>>55634739
Pressed F6. System sound unmuted. No change in Alsamixer.
>>
>>55634784
Are you on a laptop? Is your F6 key bound to mute by itself?
Is there an Fn key you have to push with F6 to actually press F6? (Fn+F6)
>>
>>55634759
>>55634739
>>55634784
Oh yes this is the case.
I got this.
>>
When ever i am doing i/o itensive tasks, it will randomly constantly hard lock the system for 3-5 seconds.
What could cause this?
I have schedtoold setup, but it dosent seem to be working
>>
>>55634806
Use your arrow keys and Enter to show us what it shows you on Default and HDA Intel PCH respectively. Take the picture on each and then Fn+F6 to go to the other one, then take the picture

(the one you were showing here >>55634711 is HDA Intel HDMI so you can skip that one)
>>
File: 1455268301245.jpg (30 KB, 357x362) Image search: [Google]
1455268301245.jpg
30 KB, 357x362
>>55634806
All you need to know: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture
>>
>>55634806
>>55634711

Why doesn't it surprise me that Ubuntu managed to mess something so simple up

I hope it's easy to fix
>>
>>55634839
pressing enter on default closes the window
ditto on hda intel pch shows this.
>>
File: PeppersRGB.bmp.png (494 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
PeppersRGB.bmp.png
494 KB, 512x512
>>55625943
That isn't even the original picture. The original picture is not flipped.
>>
Is Fedora the right distro for me?
>>
I just noticed that some posts ITT are deleted, and sometimes they are deleted immediately...
are mods monitoring /fglt/? are they really such control freaks?
>>
One of my drives is being a bitch and not letting me write on it on my normal account. What would be the steps to unbitch it?
>>
>>55634891
>default closes the window
uwotm8

I have a feeling this might be the issue.

Two questions:
What happens when you use your arrow keys in that Intel PCH window to select master and speaker and boost them up to 100? Does the radio noise get louder or no? Try it with just the speakers, not headphones
Do you have PulseAudio installed?
>>
>>55634942
If people are anything like me, they might just delete their posts because of a typo, or because after re-reading the post, it sounds petty or stupid. Or maybe mods are dicks. I think people would speak up if they were being censored, tho.
>>
>>55634942
Typos, "oh shit I sound like a faggot", etc. I figure that the mods have an eye on this general because of the Windows kiddies that come and shit things up.
>>
>>55634969
>I figure that the mods have an eye on this general because of the Windows kiddies that come and shit things up.

Yet the shitposts like that never get removed...
>>
>>55634965
>>55634969
sorry for not saying this before, in >>55634942 , I was talking about my own posts, and also, some very useful pic someone posted at the start of the thread. my last post was a joke, and got deleted in 5 minutes or so
>>
When should I upgrade to Fedora 24?
>>
>>55634959
What model is your laptop? Hp Pavillion what?
Because googling around showed me that it can sometimes have issues with sound card drivers on Ubuntu, so this information might help.

Honestly I would rather you were using Debian to be of more help, but oh well whatever
>>
>>55634959
>>55634959
i mean pressing enter on "-default" closes the sky-blue window within the alsamixer window in which "default" "0 HDA Intel HDMI" and "1 HDA Intel PCH" are.

>What happens when you use your arrow keys in that Intel PCH window to select master and speaker and boost them up to 100? Does the radio noise get louder or no? Try it with just the speakers, not headphones
Nothing.
>Do you have PulseAudio installed?
No.
>>
>>55635013
>at the start of the
*previous thread
anyway, nevermind, I got this and the previous thread mixed where I made a bunch of posts that I thought had been deleted...
still, my last post got deleted quickly, and that's weird
>>
>>55635089
this was for you >>55635042 , please give us the model of your laptop

And when you press "-default" you just go back to whatever screen you were in before?

It doesn't show you something like this with just PulseAudio above to the left?

If not, here might be the issue. Install PulseAudio (it's weird to me that it isn't already installed. maybe it's misconfigured?)
>>
>>55635042
hp pavilion 17-g119dx
>>
File: 1467763810627.jpg (356 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1467763810627.jpg
356 KB, 1280x720
Tell me about GNOME 3. What does it offer compared to KDE 5? I'm attached to my taskbar, so how well could I transfer over?
>>
>>55635152
should i reinstall ubuntu and get back to this thread? considering it will only take like 5 mins
>>
>>55635205
Why would you want to? systemd deps are just as bad as KDE deps, and G3's interface is utterly retarded compared to KDE.
>>
>>55635213
If you didn't mess with the audio settings, I don't see any reason to reinstall your whole OS. It should have worked out of the box.

I'd rather we tried fixing it with what we have. If you're going to try changing, at least change to Debian. Ubuntu is kind of a shitshow
>>
>>55635205
Why are you attached to the taskbar? You can enable one via gnome-tweak-tool, but it's kinda shit. (see pic related)

I've just gotten used to not having to see which windows are open at all times. I use alt+tab mostly, and it works well with a mouse.
>>
>>55635233
i actually deleted alsa-base and alsa-utils completely in synaptics because that was one of the solutions suggested. reinstalled it ever since tho
>>
>>55633869
Gimp Is My Photoshop.
>>
>>55635205
Your workflow is different, that's for sure. But once you get used to it it's really nice
>>
>>55631453
bump
>>
>>55634905
Oh, so this is the original picture!
Where did it come from?
>>
>>55635302
Still. It should have worked out of the box, so if it didn't, reinstalling Ubuntu won't help

Consider just doing a Debian netinstall. If the same shit happens there and we can't fix it, then it's beyond me.

If you wanna do it, here's the ISO that you can burn to an USB.

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.5.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-8.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso
>>
File: snapshot12.png (157 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
snapshot12.png
157 KB, 1920x1080
>>55635286
I'm a converted Win7 guy, and I can't let go of my current workflow. I used OSX for a little while and I haven't been able to get used to the dock. Main reason I'm thinking about this is because I've had a few problems lately with KDE and I haven't been able to fix them.
>>
>>55635402
GNOME is all about hotkeys
If you don't use hotkeys, it's pretty meh.
>>
>>55635402
Try Cinnamon it's based on older Gnome but works like a better version of Windows
>>
>>55634933
yes
>>
File: 1452701860575.png (301 KB, 592x1836) Image search: [Google]
1452701860575.png
301 KB, 592x1836
obligatory
>>
>>55634933
no
>>
>>55634933
maybe
>>
File: gay is my peppers.png (343 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
gay is my peppers.png
343 KB, 640x640
>>
>>55632511
this
>>
I'm trying to complile a GUI front end for a program, and in the instructions it says to Get qt4-qmake or qt5-qmake
so I ran sudo apt install qt5-qmake
then I ran qmake on the file it told me to and got pic related. Anyone know how to get rid of this error?
>>
File: qmake.png (20 KB, 662x58) Image search: [Google]
qmake.png
20 KB, 662x58
>>55636194
Forgot image.
>>
>>55625650
What's with the green pepper?
>>
>>55635472
No way!
>>
>>55636264
Green Is My Pepper.
Which color is your pepper?
>>
File: 1455668784802.png (787 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1455668784802.png
787 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>55636222
>>55636194

Took me 27 seconds to search for it online and find the cause.
>>
>>55636421
Why didnt you post the solution?
>>
>>55636534
Why didnt you google first?
>>
>>55636570
>using google
>>
New to ubuntu
What are the /g/ must haves
>>
>>55636700
English.
>>
>>55636724
Oh its you.
How was your day f/a/m
>>
>>55636700
gnome-pie
>>
>>55636700
Install Gentoo
>>
>>55636808
:^)
>>55636790
Sounds neat ill check it out
>>
File: Untitled.png (125 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
125 KB, 640x400
>>
is this the new help thread???
I installed palemoon, transfered all my data from firefox, but flash player won't add itself to pale moon. What gives? I downloaded the rpm from adobe, the one they link here:https://addons.palemoon.org/
>>
>>55636879
>flash player
the fuck do you need this crap?
>>
>>55636879
Whatever you think you need flash player for, you don't.
>>
>>55636879
>using mememoon
>using flash
Mememoon is pointless, and they use a V2X version of firefox. Its old and outdated. They force you to use different addons because you're using addons it cant support because its done poorly.
Just use firefox-aurora
>>
>>55636915
>aurora
too pussy for nighty?
>>
>>55636956
I use nightly, but seeing how anon is using palemoon...
>>
>>55636900
>>55636904
It's for twitch.tv and I know I can use mpv and/or livestreamer. Oh yea and porn dudes.

>>55636915
Does aurora use the ugly ass fucking customize screen? And the shitty new preferences?? I honestly prefer this too firefox 47 or whatever it's at.
>>
>>55636700
Whatever it is you like doing. I like your theme, by the way - even though I loathe Unity.

For me, the first thing I do when installing Linux is add some aliases and functions to my .bashrc
>>
>>55636989
>I can use mpv and/or livestreamer.
Then why the fuck would you even acknowledge flash, much less install it?
>>
>>55637007
Linux has a .bashrc?
>>
>>55636989
I have no clue what you are talking about.
>>
File: stallman_non-FREEEEEE.png (530 KB, 830x720) Image search: [Google]
stallman_non-FREEEEEE.png
530 KB, 830x720
>>55637035
Friendliness... fading...
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 52

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.