[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How pretentious is it to have a personal website dedicated to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1465403664641.png (236 KB, 497x446) Image search: [Google]
1465403664641.png
236 KB, 497x446
How pretentious is it to have a personal website dedicated to your career/projects as an undergrad student?
>>
Please respond
>>
I have a personal site since 14 so whatever m8
>>
>>55346578
On a scale from 0 to 13, it's 0 pretentious.
>>
>>55346578
It's fine, don't expect it to impress anyone though
>>
>>55346578

It places you well above most other potential hire candidates. I've tried to beat into junior devs that their resume is just to get past HR drones (and provide a narrative of things to dig into in a real interview). Having even little toy apps available on github/bitbucket/whatever will distinguish you from the other faceless nobodies, prove you have a passion for development, and provide some credibility to you actually being able to code.

Try to show adherence to best practices. Ensure your repos are prominent in your resume and cover letter should you bother with one.
>>
>>55347229
Reading this makes me kinda happy that I've only been applying to universities and pleb jobs. "Two hands, kinda willing to work."
>>
>>55347258

I don't understand your response.
>>
>>55347340
He's saying that actually getting past the hiring process at larger companies is so ridiculous he's happy that he's only had to deal with the shallow end of the pool.
>>
>>55347376

Eh, I've had small companies ask me to do absurdly large take home assignments (I don't) with a multitude of interviews and large companies almost hand me a job with nothing more than a single interview.

Not everything is "valley jobs." Every company culture is different.
>>
a portfolio?
>>
>>55347376
This exactly.

>>55347424
With pleb jobs I mean physical labour kinda stuff. The sort of jobs your only qualification is that you're physically capable in doing them and willing to work for low wages. Having anything other than your name and date of birth in your CV is basically bragging as far as they're concerned.
>>
>>55347518

Well, you tailor your resume to the job. If you're starting out and targeting anything you can get, you have a technical resume and a dumb resume. Don't put burger flipping on your junior dev resume (underscore your scrubhood) and don't put comp sci courses on your grunt job (flags you as a flight risk, you're out the moment you find something better).
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.