[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Question Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50
File: everything is big.jpg (24 KB, 471x449) Image search: [Google]
everything is big.jpg
24 KB, 471x449
Stupid Question Thread

Don't know how to install gentoo? Ask here, don't be an idiot and make your own thread
>>
What are some good websites to learn programming?
>>
>>55145245
I like programming-motherfucker.com.It has some really good reads.
>>
Lightweight software for practical webcam applications, such as taking photos, recording video? I can't find anything on the installgentoo wiki for webcam software.
>>
I want to root and install cyanogenmod on a galaxy Y duos, but I can't get access to its microsd card from a computer, how can I root it and then do the rest?
>>
Do cover letters actually matter when applying to tech (specifically programming) jobs?
>>
File: _20160618_231816.jpg (3 MB, 2537x2525) Image search: [Google]
_20160618_231816.jpg
3 MB, 2537x2525
Why does my mouse cursor look retarded?
>>
>>55145454
update your graphics drivers and hope for the best
>>
How do you manage your photos in organization? I just imported a thousand images from my phone and am clueless on where to start.
>>
File: ayy.png (429 KB, 846x598) Image search: [Google]
ayy.png
429 KB, 846x598
>>55145368
Because MPC-CH already does all that.
Go to file->open device.
Or press ctrl+v.
To capture image press alt+i
>>
>>55145454
If the graphics driver doesn't work, try going into mouse & touchpad settings>additional mouse options>pointers and click Browse... and select one of the arrows.
>>
>>55145498
thanks, this is awesome. cool name by the way.
>>
>>55145527
Its Alexander in english.
thanks tho
>>
>>55145454
Used to be an old AMD driver issue for me.
Back when I had my 4870x2, and when I first got my 7970.
Pretty much this.
>>55145463
Update them Drivers.
>>
File: 1457396533643.jpg (939 KB, 2621x3931) Image search: [Google]
1457396533643.jpg
939 KB, 2621x3931
Hey /g/ i have a very unique problem. Windows 10 just freezes and i have to restart my computer to use it again.

I think the problem is my mobo in some way, like I don't have the configuration quite right (UEFI), I've already tested or replaced every other piece of hardware. Check disk comes up clean, Temps, voltages should be good.

I have the latest BIOS version and have all my drivers up to date. I have even RMA'ed my mobo and yet I still have this issue. I've searched around with others for my problem and there are no solutions.

I was able to stave of the problem by changing the amount of memory the onboard graphics but that has stopped working

It could be the processor, but I did run the intel diagnostic and it turned out fine.

Also by luck I do have a compatible processor that I found in the trash at work. No idea if it could just make my system worse though.

Another idea I had is that it could be related to the temperature. Last year i RMA'ed my board around this time because it was happening a bunch. It has only happened a lot during the summer and fine during the other months.
>>
>>55145446
Most times they will ask for what they want, or you should ask before you interview or send your resume in the first place. I think a thank you note post interview may be the most important.

>>55145245
Code academy
>>
Could defective internet cables (the ones outside) affect my connection intermittently to some sites meanwhile some others works?
>>
Only one of the displayport ports on my graphics card works. Before I send it back, I just want to make sure that it's broken and not some stupid feature like the first displayport port is the only one turned on by default and the others only work when connecting multiple displays.
>>
Is there a way to backup stuff directly to FTP server using CLI?
>>
>>55145837
No, if the cables work for some sites they would work for all the sites.

>>55145891
Test it with another cable. It think it is fairly common for them to wear out. It happened to me with a gigabyte card. Also check the reviews to see if other people have had the problem. If you have 2 display ports can't you just use the other one? check the Driver suite about the connections.
>>
>>55145936
I tried it with another monitor using a different cable and got the same problem. I've had this card for a few days so I think I just got a defective unit.
>>
I can't view my Keyboard applet on the panel in Linux mint 17, despite it being active, there is no icon to click. (pic related)

Searching online I believe people have ran into the same problem but I still don't quite understand it. Was wondering if you guys could clue me in on this stupid issue.

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/567

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/1337
>>
>>55145936
So could it be a DNS problem? I'm sorry I don't really know to much of this stuff but DNS service it's something that my ISP manages right?
>>
how do I get laid?
>>
I don't plan on overclocking my machine ever.

Is there a problem if I install a Corsair Hydro Series H100i for aesthetics, rather than having a stock cooler?
>>
I'm having trouble setting up iMessage on an old iPhone 4s. Ios is updated to most recent version and everything is verified. I'm using the phone as an iPod touch, but I have wifi. For whatever reason imessage is stuck on "waiting for activation"
>>
>>55145477
shotwell is great
>>
>>55146068
No, not at all. You can probably get away with a smaller/cheaper water cooler like the Corsair H60.
>>
>>55146083

Something is off with your icloud account
>>
File: 09-Temperatures-Torture.png (82 KB, 601x618) Image search: [Google]
09-Temperatures-Torture.png
82 KB, 601x618
>>55146144
But I should add it depends on your processor. Skylake is pretty darned efficient and temperatures won't be a problem on most coolers. If you have an AMD processor or an older Intel one, I'd get the H110i over the H60.
>>
>>55145968
Yeah man just send it back. Companies will just send you a new card without caring if it actually defective or not.

>>55146041
Yea it could. A DNS is like a phonebook of websites, but your browser might tell you that.
Try using a vpn or a proxy.

>>55146060
Leave and don't comback

>>55146068
I would recommend it, easier to clean and you don't have to ever really about temps
>>
>>55146188
That was my assumption, but here's the thing. the phone was my friends. he now has the 6 and uses it just fine, I'm on his account to use his iTunes and the like. Everything else iCloud and appleid works but imesaage
>>
>>55145446
You should always send a cover letter unless the job application specifically instructs you not to.
>>
If I was to buy a GeForce GTX 1080 Gigabyte G1 Gaming 8GB Edition (is this the best gpu today?), would it be okay for it to work with a cheaper motherboard, say an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Socket LGA1151?

Or would it be better to get a motherboard that is a bit more bang, like a Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Socket LGA1151?
>>
Can I crossfire rx 480 with r9 390?
>>
>>55146263
>is this the best gpu today?
it is today. In a few month it will not since AMD will release the vega line.
And if you look at the price, the performances, the temps, I'm not sure this GPU is worth. But that's a point of view thus. buy whatever you want.

>say an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Socket LGA1151?
yes it will

>>55146060
Talk to girls, don't be an asshole and maybe you'll find a nice girl.
>>
>>55146263
I don't think the motherboard would have an impact on performance as long as it supports all the parts that don't bottleneck your GPU.
>>
>>55146311
NO!
>>
>>55146409
:C
>>
how do I get rc.config to run root commands?
>>
File: 1455735667482.jpg (779 KB, 2048x1357) Image search: [Google]
1455735667482.jpg
779 KB, 2048x1357
Need font recommendations for linux and my browser (chromium), serif, sans-serif fonts and monospaced. I'll use them for the browser and the system including the terminal.
>>
How to use ASCII in a password? The Internet company came and updated the firmware of my modem. The old WiFi password was like "this is my password" and when I try to set it up again it won't accept it, but it will accept "thisismypassword". The error says that I gotta use "between 8 and 64 ASCII characters or 64 hexadecimal digits", so I figured that there should be a way to represent the spaces as ASCII characters, something like "this[Alt+32]is[Alt+32]my[Alt+32]password", But what is the correct syntax?
>>
File: screws.jpg (139 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
screws.jpg
139 KB, 1200x675
I was going to install my scythe heatsink today but a few screws and bolts seem to have disappeared in storage.

Can you guys please take a look at these and tell me if replacements are available for purchase somewhere.

I'd rather not buy a whole new heatsink just because a few screws are missing.
>>
I am completely new to networking / webdev and wish to learn. I am thinking about renting a server and making a shitty blog as a first project.

Once I rent, do I have to make a contract with another company to have a domain name?

What are the steps between me uploading the files to the server and me accessing my blog via a web browser?
>>
>>55146692
you just have to buy a domain name (and rent a server if you don't want to host it yourself).
If you rent a server you'll be able to put your files using FTP and they should provide a client (probably web based) if you have a database.
It isn't confusing, don't worry too much. It's easy.
>>
File: Catt262ura.png (35 KB, 258x108) Image search: [Google]
Catt262ura.png
35 KB, 258x108
do somebody have the image with wrong dicks on server?

was running a VN, saw this and it reminded of that image, but I can't find anywhere
>>
Is one of those raspberry pi's my cheapest/best option for a decent quality media player/emulator machine to hook up to my tv?
>>
How do I change the logo color that screenfetch spits out?

I know how to change the terminal background color and text color using Profiles, but I can't remember how to change the color used for the logo ASCII.
>>
>>55146060
For sex:

Go to college town.

Find house party.

Go in.

Ask if you can party (they always always say yes)

If there are lots of black people find another party because the police WILL be showing up.

Find and talk to drunk girls. You should be able to tell within 10 minutes or so if they are down, if not then move on to the next girl. Don't be too obvious because you will catch flak from alpha-chads

Get laid.

Tip: don't get drunk, but drink (+2 Charisma and Whiskey Dick perk)

Tip 2: wrap it up because you are NOT the first guy they have been with

I have attempted this 3 times and gotten laid each time. The sex feels okay but those hookups lead to uncomfortable situations. You are better off talking to girls and being yourself and eventually finding someone who can tolerate you and will let you play with her tits all night as you have deep conversations. Thats the best feel, man. Good luck to you.
>>
>>55146783
Thanks. Id host it myself but I can't : I'm in a dorm and I get my internet via a wired connection in my room.

So first step is renting a server and upload my files there using FTP.
Then I go to a domain name company and ask to link the IP address provided by the server company to some domain name of my choice.

Did I miss something?
>>
>>55145224
Why would one ever install Gentoo faggotry?
>>
>>55147129
Usually the companies that sells the domain name also rent servers.
Check what OVH have to offer.
>>
(cont from last thread)
>>55146953
We don't have much concrete info on the rx 480 yet, and the leaks are all over the place. My gut assumption is that the rx 480 would be ok for 1440p 60fps *right now*, but you might have to turn down some settings in some games to achieve that and it won't be as future proof as the 1070.

As far as Zen goes, if it performs at least as well as a Skylake i5 then you'll be good. But again, we'll have to wait to get any concrete information on its performance.
>>
Good case that supports 200mm fans?
>>
>>55147077
the 700M limit refers to the CD-ROM standard, 80min of CD-DA audio is actually 827MiB, CD-ROM has a lower limit due to the requirement of additional ECC to protect the data, however, even with that you can store more than 80 minutes of high quality audio in 700M of space with modern codecs
>>
>>55147216
oh, worth noting you can forgo the additional ECC in cd-rom mode to store more data on a CD, such a disc won't be able to handle as much damage as a normal cd-rom disc though
>>
>>55146925 It you want better distro, hardware supprort (usb slave/gpio/shields), manuals and community go for original raspberry.
If you want cheaper and more powerful thing to run generic server/media software - look for orangepi on aliexpress and run http://www.armbian.com/ on it.
>>
What's the advantage of making a Library in PHP? I wrote an extremely important class site wide, and to use it I include the file and the initialize the class. Did I make a mistake doing it wrong? Is it worth the effort to turn it into some sort of Library?
>>
I'm going to buy a chromebook for 200$ or less. Is there any difference between brands/models at this price point?
>>
Other than choosing the correct type of RAM (DDR2 or DDR3 for example) voltage and speed, what else do I need to know to determine whether or not my motherboard supports a specific RAM stick?

More specifically, I have this motherboard:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4140#sp

And I'm looking into this for RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104444
>>
anyone know a good language or framework to quickly implement a P&P-style "item shop" system into a simple graphical interface?
Say, I'd like to purchase a 500 credit "sword"; a click of the button corresponding to this entity purchases 1 sword, deducting 500 credits from my balance.
Removing the sword will not refund any value. In this way, it's like an inventory.
My experience with coding is four years of scattered knowledge with LUA. I have never written a standalone program.
if something like this exists already then tell me, I've looked everywhere. would spare me some work.
>>
>>55145224
Guys!, Tinywall fucks with my home network even when it's -apparently- properly configured. Is there another decent open source firewall you guys recommend?
>>
>>55147498 Pfsence
>>
>>55147496
something very similar to this.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rpg-inventory/id879162459?mt=8
>>
>>55145224
So guys last year I got a gtx 960 very cheap by my countries prices and it's about time I put it to use

help me make a build
>>
>>55147475
the motherboard and ram you linked are compatible.
>>
>>55145420
anyone?
>>
>>55145732
Sounds like a temperature problem to me. Don't keep your tower in a enclosed space, Do cable management if you haven't already. And make sure your airflow is nice
> Front and bottom intake
> Back and top exhausts

Lastly get a can of air and clean out all you fans if you haven't already
>>
>>55147729
Thanks bruv
>>
Is the Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I wireless adapter any good? Seems to coming out of stock.
>>
>>55147171
thank you
>>
Can someone explain the Intel sockets to me?
I'm getting bored and feel like building another PC soon, For financial reasons I have always ran AMD CPU's. I want to try an Intel build this time but they have like 15 different sockets on the market right now.

Which would you go with for an enthusiast build?
>>
>>55147762
Temps are always like this. Fans are set up correctly and it gets cleaned.
>>
I got a laptop with intel hd 3000 and radeon 6770 hd. When I open overwatch settings it says intel at the top. When I open speccy radeon is like 90 degree or some shit. Which one is being used? Also I noticed when I right click the desktop the drivers wont show like they used to, never really noticed they were removed. Where can I find radeon 6770 drivers?
>>
File: compitibility.jpg (28 KB, 990x125) Image search: [Google]
compitibility.jpg
28 KB, 990x125
How fucked would this be? Is it worth it to bump the case up to the R5?
>>
I fucking dusted my GPU and now my display and USB don't work.

When I unplug the GPU the USB ports work, is it broken?
>>
File: 1463243916192.jpg (32 KB, 497x544) Image search: [Google]
1463243916192.jpg
32 KB, 497x544
I have a LGA 1150 Intel Z87 motherboard that needs a cpu

What's the best "bang for your buck cpu" I can get to replace my fx-8350?

Are there any cheap xeons that work? I remember the old 771 to 775 pin mod

Thank you for your time.
>>
Hello, fellas. It's been some years since I've used Wangblows, been switching distros non stop recently. The ones I liked the most were Debian and OpenSUSE. But since my computer is pretty shit, I'd like something extremely minimal, but I still want to get shit done.
So I have two stupid questions:
1-
I never wandered into the netinst world, is there a good guide for a minimal bloat installation for, let's say, Debian? I don't want anything grand in this shit, just have a system that won't crash and maybe one or another game with WINE. I'd rather have a DE, but if there is a good enough guide, I could tinker with WMs and shit.

2-
I'm thinking of installing a W10 partition as well. I don't think I'll use it as much as I'm expecting, but well, I don't have shit to do in this weekend. I format some computers for neighbors and just use some shit Windows activator like KMSpico, is it recommended? Which way is the less bloated way for having my fresh W10 install? Also, can I have some "no botnet" guides for W10?

It kind of became more than two questions, but whatever. Many thanks in advance.
>>
>>55148310
I5 4460
>>
>>55145837
>(the ones outside)

So the problem isn't inside your home, you've tried replacing your modem/router and internal wiring?

Contact your ISP, tell them you're getting no connectivity to certain sites.
>>
>>55148729
Also, just saw some people talking about BunsenLabs. What's the difference? Is it worth it?
>>
Would daisy chaining monitors with displayport work if the first connection wasn't displayport? Ex: [computer] - HDMI or DVI cable -> [monitor 1] - displayport 1.2 cable -> [monitor 2]
>>
>>55147197
Bump pls
This can't be that difficult of a question
>>
>>55148790
Yeah they changed the modem/router today and the problem persist. It's really weird for example: if i'm using speedtest and the internet cuts, I still can test my speed but if I choose a different server it says "timed out". It's like only established connections works but not new connections. Another example if I'm watching a youtube video it will keep loading but if a try to open another tab it will not work.
>>
>>55148905
Oh and the only way to solve this it's to restart the modem.
>>
File: splitscreen_yj_hq.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1158) Image search: [Google]
splitscreen_yj_hq.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1158
1080 to 4k upscaling, how is it achieved?
>>
libreoffice/excel question. if i have a row of 1 million urls, and I wanted to remove certain tlds that I don't care about (lets say every .cn), how would I purge these from the list?
>>
File: Untitled.png (35 KB, 657x519) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
35 KB, 657x519
My psu is a CX 750, will it be enough to handle my rig or should I go higher?
What upgrades should I plan for in the next few years?
>>
>>55148932
edge detection and sharpening/vectorizing
>>
>>55148970
750 watts would be enough for a second GPU
I wouldn't recommend getting a second GPU though because 970 SLI is shit
>>
I'm getting this message when I start MOC

The valid values of 'Layout1' have changed; please read the comments for this option in the supplied config.example file and update your own configuration file accordingly.

In the config file Layout1 = "directory:0,0,50%,100% playlist:50%,0,50%,100% "

Google has been no help and I'm not sure what this error means, any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
Should I just water cool this build?
Any other suggestions?
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/8BZMpb

>inb4 32gb ram
This build is for Maya work and vidya
>>
Is there anything I can do with an extra GPU?

I have a 980 right now, but I have a 960 and a 550 ti laying around.

I have a 750 watt bronze psu
>>
>>55149009
There is little benifit in real world applications for sli. No one optimizes for sli setups,no game dev is even considering it. Out side of the snow flake picked benchmarks, it provides nothing
>>
>>55149191
You could if you want

>WD Green
>Founders edition
>Falling for the blu-ray meme
>>
>>55149216
Founder's Edition is just a placeholder, I'm buying an FTW
I need the drive for rips
I don't know why I chose the green

Are the benefits worth an extra 70 dollars for a water cooler? I've never built one with it.
>>
>>55147740
Why can't you get access to the phone via computer?
>>
>>55149246
Closed loop coolers give good performance if you get a 240mm or 280mm
120mm coolers are a waste of time
>>
>>55149257
I don't know, it gets me nothing. The phone doesn't show the "connect USB" android thing that allows me to transfer files, and Win 7 64 is not recognizing the y duos. Also I can transfer with other samsung phone, so I'm not sure
>>
>>55149192

You used to be able to hook up the extra one for physx processing, but I don't know if that's even needed now.

Sell them
>>
>>55145454
It adapts to the user.
>>
File: 1427589228211.jpg (50 KB, 524x700) Image search: [Google]
1427589228211.jpg
50 KB, 524x700
>>55149268
Thanks anon.
I'm probably just going to stick it out with the air cooler.
>>
>>55146011
I don't know about mint, but you have different keyboard-layouts installed eg englisch and french? I you only have one, it might not show the icon as there is no use for it.
One statement in first link considers this; in kde, icon only shows up if more than one layout is installed, too.
>>
>>55149329
I installed Ibus Japanese-anthy
>>
why is systemd bad /g/?
>>
>>55149272
Did you try liJe this?
https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2840804?hl=en
unlock phone first. Try different usb-ports. Try different usb-cabels, best would be original one. Maybe try on ather computers.
About accessing the card without computer, i have no idea.
>>
>>55149272
just got an idea: you can put external minisdcard in your phone? If this is the case, put rom on that card. for the recovery you still need a computer, thiugh...
>>
If I've got a middle portion of a video file (Say, bytes from 10MB - 20MB, and I've got the video header (from 0-100KB), is there a way to get the middle portion to play?
>>
>>55149431
>>55149521
Plugging into another USB slot of the PC worked
>>
>>55149534
Cool. Enjoy!
>>
Dunno where else to ask but is there a guide on how to set 4chan's filter? I've never used it before and I don't get how to work it.
>>
My MBP has a 128Gb 5400rpm drive in it. It's 7 years old and I'm nervous about drive failure. I have a space SSD. Is it a good idea to clone the current drive to the SSD, and then physically swap out the SSD into the current spot? To me it seems the logical thing to do, but I make dumb decisions so checking.
>>
>>55149556
>I have a space SSD
a spare SSD, I mean
>>
>>55149554
get 4chanx
it will help you
>>
>>55149578
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Web_browsers#Recommended_User_Scripts

Which one?
>>
File: 1439751234976.jpg (149 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1439751234976.jpg
149 KB, 800x800
Does OSMC only run on Pis or can I put it on an ODroid?
>>
>>55149347
Your sys is up to date? The links are very old, 3y+
Does not solve tge problem, but why not switch layouts with shortcut?
>>
>>55149595
https://github.com/ccd0/4chan-x
>>
>>55149608
>switch layouts with shortcut
how do you mean? Pretty sure my sys is up to date (I just install mint last week
>>
>>55149540
Weird, it looks like I'm not out of the woods just yet. I can now click on the button in the phone to allow the USB transfer, but the comp still won't recognize the device and I can't see shit, I'll try Samsung Kies, maybe that can help.
>>
Why is partioning such a big deal on Linux but not on windows?
>>
>>55149663
It isn't
>>
how much caffeine can i take until my heart stops or some shit? i have to code for at least another 5 hours and i'm tired as hell.

i got 4 more large red bulls in the fridge. sadly no amphetamines
>>
>>55149616

Cheers
>>
planning on upgrading from a GTX 620 to something not-dogshit
i don't need anything super high end, but i would like something midrange-ish or better
what do
>>
>>55147892
look up the cpu you want on pcpartpicker. it will automatically show you compatible motherboards.
>>
>>55149732
>>
>>55149732
gtx 1070
>>
>>55149688
100-200 mg/kg
>>
>>55149624
Menu > Keyboard Preferences > Layouts > Options > Key(s) to change layouts.
Set eg alt+spaceto switch.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22384513/how-does-one-add-keyboard-languages-and-switch-between-them-in-linux-mint-16
hope this helps.
>>
>>55149688
just go for a walk and drink some water
>>
File: thumbs up smile.jpg (19 KB, 467x460) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up smile.jpg
19 KB, 467x460
>>55149748
thank you

time for more energy drinks
>>
>>55149688
http://www.caffeineinformer.com/death-by-caffeine
>>
File: IMG_0318.jpg (47 KB, 720x509) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0318.jpg
47 KB, 720x509
>>55149663
Windows just does it without telling you.
>>
>>55149775
I'm not sure when I get here Key(s) is not an option?
>>
File: 1444969172182.png (77 KB, 280x261) Image search: [Google]
1444969172182.png
77 KB, 280x261
>>55149801
i'll do that, thank you.

>>55149853
>5.3 cans
cool site.
>>
I want to use input from a shell script as input for a python script. Here's an example:

The Shell script
echo "Enter a file:\c" 
read fname
python file.python

Python script
import os
#fname in this script is input from shell script

for fname in os.listdir('.'):
if fname.endswith('.jpg'):
#do shit
break

How would I go about doing this? I don't need to use bash at all, I just thought it would be fun but I got stuck here.
>>
>>55149808
If you removed nicotine & caffeine from your system, you wouldn't need to waste your time & money.
>>
>>55149894
Choose one of the options under"switching to another layout". If you check "alt-caps lock", you can switch the keyboard-layout by pressing the alt- and the caps-lock-keys on your keyboard simultanously
>>
I have to run a command as root every time before opening a program. How can i create an alias that runs the command, exits root and then runs the program?
>>
File: 1440798595025.png (46 KB, 489x479) Image search: [Google]
1440798595025.png
46 KB, 489x479
I'm picking programming back up after quite a few years, and I'm using an IDE that has autocomplete features. I'm absolutely positive this is a stupid question, but what the hell is the point of auto-completing things like " and ) if I have to type through them anyway? There doesn't seem to be a keypress that skips past them. On top of that, sometimes it will fuck up and add an extra " or something. It actually seems like it's making my work harder instead of easier.
>>
>>55149927
alright I got the Icon but Ibus isn:t quite working how I expected for japanese I was expecting to write romanji and have it assume the hiragana) for example
>>
>>55149945
When you get used to it, it helps your workflow. At least mine anyways
>>
>>55145732
Do yourself a favor and reverse image search this.
>>
>>55149908
Just to add on a little, I was considering putting the stdin of the shell file into a text file for the python script to read, but I feel like there has to be a much faster and easier solution than this.
>>
>>55150007
>clothing
i dont get it?
>>
>>55149960
Thanks for the input; I can see why it's useful for more complex programs when it does things like fill in variables and such. I just don't see the point specifically for quotes and parenthesis when it makes me type them anyway. All it seems to do is mess up my typing rhythm as I try to make myself get used to typing something that is already there.

Is it just for when you already have a lot of code written out and are mostly moving around the whole document and adding things? As a person doing some basic programming tutorials and just typing lines, it currently feels like it doesn't help in any way.
>>
>>55145224
What are some good cheap 2.1 speakers I can get for my laptop?

I'd prefer them to be below $150, because at that point, I'd just get another Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system

They don't need to be crazy loud.
>>
How do I convert a video to a webm?
I want to make a webm of link related, with sound.
I have an iPhone and a ps3
https://dropfile.to/locG98c
>>
>>55149952
Just found this:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/28669/how-do-i-get-keyboard-to-write-hiragana-instead-of-katakana
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=75792
Maybe search more yourself, i have no clue about the different japanese writings.
>>
>>55150113
fug, I am tired as hell but you have definitely helped me make progress. I'll search more
>>
>>55149979
The piss tumblr?

or her nudes in general?
>>
>>55150106
Do you mean you're on an Iphone? If you don't have a computer, I guess you can use an online file converter.
>http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-webm
here's one.
>>
File: Untitled.png (6 KB, 473x216) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
6 KB, 473x216
how do I disable this? I want to see no pop-up notification when downloads finish.

Searching only turns up very old results for the about:config setting browser.download.manager.showAlertOnComplete, which didn't exist in my installation. Creating it and setting it to false had no effect. Running FF 45ESR
>>
>>55149935
learn bash/shell programming
>>
File: SSDLife.png (57 KB, 474x623) Image search: [Google]
SSDLife.png
57 KB, 474x623
did I fuck up my SSD installation? It doesn't look the same as other's SS.
>>
How to know/check which network cards my mobo supports?
>>
Would it be a good idea to stuff the inside of my tower with t-shirts to pad the CPU cooler and GPU for shipping?
>>
File: sadcomputer.jpg (22 KB, 460x287) Image search: [Google]
sadcomputer.jpg
22 KB, 460x287
ive never built a computer and I dont know where to even begin
>>
>>55150357
google
>>
File: IMG_0451.jpg (22 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0451.jpg
22 KB, 225x225
>>55150357
Its easier than lego my man

>https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC
>>
>>55150357
logicalincrements.com
pcpartpicker.com
>>
Okay okay so im aware that you cant sli two graffix cards of different gpus but can i still use two different graffix cards on my machine? Will a 670 and a 1070 work together?
>>
>>55150291
pcpartpicker, if you're dumb.
rtfm, if you're not.
>>
>>55150344
don't use clothes, because of static. use newspapers or something.
>>
>>55150344
Remove the GPU and cooler and pack them separately.
>>
File: verizonassfucksyouoveranyway.png (39 KB, 986x674) Image search: [Google]
verizonassfucksyouoveranyway.png
39 KB, 986x674
What exactly am I missing here? Is there a reason why changing to the same plan is cheaper. Am I being fucked over without knowing if I switch?
>>
I get this sometimes when playing HTML5 video on Firefox 47. It goes away after a while but it's still pretty annoying. Apparently it's the whole page flashing inside the video for some fucking reason. The flashing is more frequent and faster, but it doesn't really show accurately because GIF. What would be the cause of this? Had to upload the GIF somewhere else because it came out too big.

https://my.mixtape.moe/ljfqgs.gif
>>
>>55145454
>NOT SHAKING IT
SHAKE IT
>>
>>55150674
the catch is that it renews your contract for another 12/24 months. read the fine print.

if you plan on staying with that carrier anyway, go for it.

new contracts are always cheaper, same with internet.
>>
>>55150674
>>55150778
also, what the fuck is up with those prices? here in germany i pay like 13€ for unlimited texts/calls + 4GB of 4g traffic. am i reading this wrong?
>>
File: 1466309469688.png (25 KB, 679x109) Image search: [Google]
1466309469688.png
25 KB, 679x109
what am i doing wrong
>>
>>55150806
you're missing a file. install openssl? the program you're trying to compile seems to rely on it.
>>
File: Runescape.jpg (85 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Runescape.jpg
85 KB, 1024x768
Buying a new monitor, 1440p or 144hz? Mainly use it for editing and games
>>
File: both.jpg (26 KB, 203x226) Image search: [Google]
both.jpg
26 KB, 203x226
>>55150837
>>
>>55150792
In America and Canada (at least) phone plans and internet tend to cost an arm and a leg for no good reason. That's just how it is here, in my experience.
>>
>>55150792
in eastern yuropoor i pay 4 euros for 100min/10000sms + 1 gb of mobile internet. git gud.
>>
What VPN does /g/ recommend for ease of use?
>>
>>55150929
>I pay less money for less service
Uh, okay then.
>>
Upgrading to Win10, but would like to keep my Win8 for dual boot. Do I just clone my partition of Win8 and use the free upgrade on the newly cloned partition or am I fucked?

Just made a thread on this, but there isn't any activity on it. Thought I would try on here.
>>
>>55151207
install gentoo
>>
>>55151207
Why would you want to use an outdated version of Windows when you could be using the greatest operating system ever made, Windows 10.
>>
>>55145224
how do i compile chromium with inox patchset on OS X? like so i could symlink chromium.app or something

please help you fucks
>>
Shot in the dark here but I'm having a shit load of trouble with my router. It won't let any devices except for cell phones connect to it via wifi unless they're right next to it. Theres a ps3 connected via ethernet but that's it. I suspected that the 2.4hgz radio was malfunctioning but only one of three cellphones in the house can see the 5ghz band but all 3 of them are connected with little trouble from all over the house. To make matters worse the router also refuses to let my phone access it's settings. I type it's home IP but it refuses to load. Just yesterday my PC was connected and I accessed the login page of the router only to be disconnected shortly after. What the fuck is happening?

Also the router is a TC8715D Technicolor from time Warner.
Please help. This shit is driving me mad.
>>
>>55149192
Google for diferent sli hack
>>
>>55145224
so when i got to my new apartment the cox contractor was late and gave me free cable(basic package basically analog channels) so now that cox is going all digital im afraid im losing all my free cable, how do i get past this digital jewery?
>>
>>55145454
This is an AMD bug that happens usually when you have 2 monitors

There's no fix, the only fix is to drag it off and on the screen (or between 2 monitors) and sometimes it goes back to normal, or similar to a cursor but with weird lines.

Only 'fix' is to restart afaik
>>
what parts do I need for a poorfag gaymin pc for under $400
Just wanna play fallout 3 and maybe some newer games on medium settings
>>
>>55151661
logicalincrements.com
>>
>>55151390
You don't, because it's worthless.
>>
>>55151390
I could give you an invite to a private torrent tracker for television.
>jewery
Oh, never mind.
>>
Is avast a reliable VPN/Anti virus. So far it's been pretty annoying and it's been telling me to keep upgrading.
>>
>>55151846
Silent mode.
>>
>>55151661
Be aware Fallout 3 crashes frequently on anything but Windows XP. You can change some configs to make it crash less. But it will still happen. If that's too frustrating, you can just play New Vegas. If you like those games, also try the Bioshock series.
>>
>>55151869

Silent mode to keep it from asking me to keep upgrading? Are any of the upgrades worth it?
>>
What are best resources for learning java. Just finished the stanford intro course on YouTube
>>
>>55151923
A computer science course.
>>
File: Pharah.jpg (109 KB, 690x690) Image search: [Google]
Pharah.jpg
109 KB, 690x690
Hey /sqt/,
I'm trying to get my PS3 Eye camera working on Windows for a project and I need to fuck with the exposure settings as the auto-exposure is killing me.

I know there's the CL Eye driver but I ain't paying for that cancer, and I know you can pirate it but the pirated version doesn't have camera settings.

Does anyone know any alternate drivers?
>>
>>55151898
If you enjoy Bioshock, also watch Batman: The Animated Series :-)
>>
>old DVD RW drive
>win10 detects it fine
>can't eject, ejecting through windows makes the drive create sounds like it's trying to open but it can't, in the end win10 says "An error occurred while ejecting Drive G"
>physical eject button does the same
Help /g/ulag, I just want to play Overwatch right now, I don't want to wait for it to finish downloading.
>>
>>55151983
Did you try sticking a paperclip in the force eject hole? You bought a PC game on disc? That's just weird. You won't be able to play from it anyway, because it will need to download so much additional content.
>>
>>55145224
why are mid range products marked up like 70% in england

should I just go for high spec stuff instead
>>
File: hell.jpg (26 KB, 724x298) Image search: [Google]
hell.jpg
26 KB, 724x298
>>55152006
>Did you try sticking a paperclip in the force eject hole?
I did, nothing happens ;_;
>You bought a PC game on disc?
If I can get a physical copy I always go for it, it's nice to have a rack full of video games.
Anyway I am already downloading it as we speak since it comes with an activation key in the first place. I just thought installing from the disc will make download less content.
Pic related, it's going to take a while.
>>
>>55152045
Press harder
>>
>>55152045
Did you try pushing harder? It's a completely physical mechanism that takes a bit of force. It even works when unplugged.
>>
>>55152089
>>55152061
Shit! It opened for a split second but I was pressing on it so hard my hand blocked it and it closed again.
Thanks! Will keep trying.
>>
>>55152061
>>55152089
>>55152108
Got it! Thanks /g/ulag, it's also working fine now too. Can open/close using the button now.
>>
>>55151351
>current year
>using isp gimped routers
>using isp gimped modems
I'd tell you to install ddwrt on that piece of shit but it is probably incompatible.
>>
>>55147958
Unless you need >3 3.5" hard drives it's fine.
>>
My computer is acting slow and when I try to play videos the audio/video comes out distorted. What do? Also earlier on in the day my computer did an automatic update without me asking. I've done a malware scan with malware antibites and nothing came up.
>>
>>55152184
What do you mean by distorted?
>>
My city puts out a newsletter that I can't read because the bad typography is so distracting. It's like it was printed directly from a WYSIWYG application. Should I contact them about this?
>>
>>55151843
Will that get past the need for the new expensive mini digital box
>>
Not installing Gentoo, but Slack 14. I am trying to install Slackware on a 500gb HDD with Windows 7. I am wanting to overwrite everything and have only Slackware on the system. I'm booting from a USB optical drive with the Slack ISO. It's on a Thinkpad x140e, it is a UEFI firmware laptop. In the boot setup you can boot from UEFI, Legacy BIOS, or both. When I select UEFI it has options to boot from UEFI or Both based off of load progression, then there is an option for CSM which I disabled since Slack 14.1 supports UEFI and I shouldn't need Legacy support since an MBR should never be needed (I think?).

Boot options are listed as such:

UEFI only:
- UEFI only
- CSM disabled

When I load the Slack install disk at thr bottom of the screen says "Welcome to GRUB!" ...and that's it. One time I typed e based off an online instructions for being stuck on this screen. I think it's a misaligned GRUB boot screen to load huge.s

Anyway once it is booted to the keyboard screen, hitting enter, then logging in as root, I get to the partitioning phase. This is where I am stuck. Since my firmware is UEFI I figured my partitioning type would be GPT. So using gdisk or cgdisk asks me the file path. /dev/ ... sda, sda1, ada, ada1, hda, hda1 all bring nothing. When I fdisk -l nothing happens, when I cfdisk -l it says it can't be opened and FATAL ERROR.

What am I doing wrong? I assumed the Slack install would detect my HDD, then allow me to partition the entire drive for Slack and a swap.
>>
>>55152251
If you're watching television in 2016, without even timeshifting it, you're a faktodd.
>>
>>55152257
Protip: Install Ubuntu and then start using your computer to do things. Stop making it an end when it should be a means.
>>
>>55152193
The audio is all messed up the the videos glitchy. I went ahead and did a system rest, hopefully my anti virus is not uninstalled.
>>
>>55152304
What video player are you using?
>>
>>55152274

But I want to use Slackware. Fixing this problem will help me understand by doing. The easiest route always the best. I am wanting to learn Linux, and getting a working installation of Slackware I've read is a great hands on way of learning it.
>>
File: ergotech_freedom_arm_hd.jpg (46 KB, 500x394) Image search: [Google]
ergotech_freedom_arm_hd.jpg
46 KB, 500x394
>>55145224
doesn anybody have an ergotech arm? are those a good buy? I want one for my 27inch monitor and one for a 22inch.
>>
>>55152374
Used some at an office. I guess they were alright.
>>
even with diagnostics boot my work computer has a 25-30 seconds of black screen before the welcome screen (win 7 pro). How can I troubleshoot this ? Can't install linux, it's my work pc
>>
will older x99 motherboards support broadwell-e CPUs?
>>
You know how when you plug your iphone into iTunes and you can just like sleect the songs to put onto your phone, i'm looking for something like that, i tried Media GO , but that is for sony phones only.

I'm currently using a Nexus 5x
>>
>>55152264
What?
>>
Need a guide for windows 7 install on qemu/kvm

Ubuntu 16.04
I'm using virt manager and when I launch it, the windows installer sticks to "starrting windows" until it crashes and says "no bootable device"
I have the ISO in my downloads folder
>>
I have a Corsair 400r. I noticed it's not recommended after a certain point on logical increments. Is there a compelling reason for that? I'd like to save 100 bucks if I can, but not at the cost of poor cooling, or whatever reason it's not rated as highly is.
>>
File: se7en.png (72 KB, 1198x409) Image search: [Google]
se7en.png
72 KB, 1198x409
This is weird - why is the download speed in the shape of uniform spikes?
I'm on WiFi if it makes any difference
>>
>>55152611
The parts are all just suggestions, case doubly so because much of the functionality of a case is very subjective.
There's no requirement saying you need to have a $200 case with a $2000 build
>>
>>55152670
Of course, never buy something just because someone on the internet told you to and all that. I guess what I was asking is what makes (for the sake of example) the NZXT 630 superior to the 400r/500r.
>>
>>55152698
Compare them for yourself
Its not like falcon goes over each case with a fine tooth comb, its just a case to fit a price bracket.
>>
File: PSX_20160615_183436.jpg (1 MB, 3096x4128) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20160615_183436.jpg
1 MB, 3096x4128
So my screen is turning off after some inactivity, screen saver is turned off, in power managment turn off display is disabled, sleep is disabled, everything seems ok, yet it happens. To turn it back i just have to press key on keyboard so it's not overheating or anything. Any ideas?
>>
>>55150007
sys.argv
>>
>>55153060
does the monitor have some power saving setting itself?
>>
About to dive into PC building for the first time.

Can someone give me a list of PC parts/components in the order of least updated to most?

I assume that things like the tower case, fans, and power supplies rarely become obsolete and generally last quite a while.
And on the opposite end of the spectrum, I imagine things like graphics cards are updated more frequently.

I would like to know which specific parts are more likely to change often, in order of least to most likely.
>>
>>55153461
it's entirely based on your needs.
if you play games then you'd update the GPU more often than someone who doesn't.
if someone is a data hoarder they'd update/add more HDDs than someone else would do.
>>
Is FreeBSD the path to true enlightenment?

I mean it has less red hat cancer, better documentation and supports Xorg and all the other shit you can run on linux, if it is such a no brainer then why dont more people do it? I'm running Devuan right now, was considering installing gentoo but I mean shit why not?
>>
Whats cooler than cool?
>>
>>55153547
ICE COLD
>>
>>55147857

I have it, bought it a couple of months back.

Range and speed is excellent, the idea of an antenna that's not attached directly to the back of the PC is something I really like. Allows a lot more freedom vis a vis chassis placement.

It's also essentially just Intel hardware so drivers are 10/10.
>>
>>55153458
it does, but it's disabled
>>
>>55152430
LiveUSB with Linux.
>>
Cant download Apps via Google Play on Wifi. But only for 1 device.

Testing and Troubleshooting
>Cleared Play Store Cache and Data - Yes
>Cleared Play Services Cache and Data - Yes
>Removed Account and Added Account Again - Yes
>Tried another Google Account on the Play Store - Yes
>Factory Reset Phone - Yes
>Factory Reset Home Router - Yes
>Correct Time and Date - Yes
>Correct Time and Date on Router - Yes
>Start Download from Web browser Play Store on PC
>Tested on both band networks, and tried with each one disabled
>Used both Google DNS (8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4) and ISP DNS
>Disabled any adblocking services I had (PiHole)

>Notes
>Play Store works on Mobile Network
>Play Store and Sync works on other WIFIs (Both Home WIFIs and Mobile Hotspots)
>Play Store and Sync works on Home WIFI (Problem WIFI) when connected to PIA VPN
>Play Store and Sync works for 3 other Android Devices on the Same WIFI network
>Play Store Search function works
>Also note: It appears the downloads DO in fact download, but it sits on Downloading for a long time. And it doesnst change to show download Speed or Progress, however I haven't seen this as I havent stared at the phone for the entire time watching

Home Network
>VDSL @50mbps
>Download speed is around 4 Megabytes to 5 Megabytes per second.
>Using both 5ghz and 2.4ghz on Router (Set to appropriate region)
>>
>>55153557
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT
>>
>>55153609
Now, heres the story. We have Wifi on our Home router, like most routers, and this Wifi worked with all my Android devices (including the problem device) for the last few months.

A few weeks ago the Galaxy stopped being able to Update or Download apps from the Play Store. (Not entirely correct, it seems to still download some apps, however this takes upwards of 10-15 minutes just for a small (10-20mb app)

Following the usual troubleshooting, I have tried everything listed above.

3 other Android devices work without issue. I have factory reset my router again today. And yet it still doesnt work.

Normally I'd assume a router issue, but its strange that all other android devices can download without issue.

However assuming a phone issue, a Factory Reset should correct that too.

So, are there any DNS/ARP files that aren't changed? Or am I looking in the wrong place? Any help would really be appreciated.
>>
Where would I place the &autoplay=1 in this embed html code?
<embed width="440" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://v9.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=2zi4xp1&s=9"><br><font size="1"><a href="http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2zi4xp1&s=9">Original Video</a> - More videos at <a href="http://tinypic.com">TinyPic</a></font>
>>
Do SSD's produce little to no heat? It's time for the brutal side of Summer to show it's ugly face and could sure use every bit of non spinning things helping me.
>>
Are surge protectors actually usefull?
>>
So I just finished building my first computer and after i got everything working (installed OS got drivers etc.) I turned it off to go to sleep. In the morning to just doesn't turn on, I have tried shorting the power switch pins but there is just no sign that it is getting any power. I tried the paperclip test on the psu and the fan didn't spin but it was just wondering if anybody new if it could be anything else.
>>
Can I install Vista on a brand new HP laptop?

My mother in law wants 'vista because I know where everything is'.

Are there incompatibilities?
>>
>>55153760
Oh yes
Have saved my ass multiple times
>>
>>55153760
Not nearly as useful as UPS.
>>
>>55153644
after s=9, like s=9&autoplay=1

if the player actually supports that parameter.
>>
>>55153768
If she demands things be done incorrectly, let her pay someone else to do things incorrectly. There are no major differences between the interfaces of Vista, 7, and 10.
>>
>>55153768
Extended support for Windows Vista ends less than a year from now. It's not worth anyone's time to install it. Does she plan to forever use an unsupported operating system on which applications will be increasingly incompatible?
>>
>>55153809
Just realised it's 8.1 that's on there.

>>55153822
She's just going to shitpost and facebook with it. I might even put 10 on there because it's UI is more like 7/Vista than 8.1.

Also I'm not doing it for 'free'. I get to walk away with her old fully working laptop.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.