[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: 1433472474571.jpg (1 MB, 3510x3287) Image search: [Google]
1433472474571.jpg
1 MB, 3510x3287
Previously on: >>54631777

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
First for ubuntu
>>
File: Mozilla_Firefox_logo_2013.svg.png (102 KB, 352x373) Image search: [Google]
Mozilla_Firefox_logo_2013.svg.png
102 KB, 352x373
The font size of my Firefox "about:preferences" is too big! The checkboxes of the settings are larger than the mouse pointer! How to reduce the size of the font?
>Ubuntu 16.04
>>
>>54645142
Ubuntu is perverting freedom into something that's nice because it's gratis.

Canonical is completly missing the point and if you didn't already jump off the amazon-lens train, Canonical + Microsoft = best friends should be the last warning signal.

Thoughts welcome.
>>
>>54645260
Amazon lens was already disabled, and I don't get what to you mean by this thing about Microsoft!
>>
>>54645287
First I was thinking "wow, they listened" but instead removing this cancer, they just disabled it. Doesn't change the fact that spyware is sitting on your system, waiting for being activated by people with less inteligence than us.

>and I don't get what to you mean by this thing about Microsoft!
Canonical <3 Microsoft is new for you? We have threads everyday about the new Windows 10 + Ubuntu feature.
>>
>>54645342
>We have threads everyday about the new Windows 10 + Ubuntu feature
I only check /sqt/ and /fglt/. I don't have time to check the catalog.

I've searched, read 1 news article, and could not understand: why is Canonical helping Microsoft? Canonical do not profit nor attract developers, there is no purpose in this!
>>
File: comix.png (4 KB, 48x48) Image search: [Google]
comix.png
4 KB, 48x48
comix is not working with zipped files in xubuntu 16
pretty sure it worked in 14
>>
File: 1455054717544.png (138 KB, 474x512) Image search: [Google]
1455054717544.png
138 KB, 474x512
Today on GNU/TV:

> Richard Stallman: Ubuntu: The Spyware, 2013
mpv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXnfa0H30L4
(Sadly, the original source 404'd, use mpv+ytdl)

More info about the Topic:
gnu.org views: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/ubuntu-spyware.en.html
Mark Shuttleworth's views : http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1182
Infos about the current events: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/01/ubuntu-online-search-feature-disabled-16-04
>>
>>54645463
>why is Canonical helping Microsoft?
because now the people who use windows exclusively can still be exposed to canonical's software

also, they are betting on microsoft taking marketshare from native linux and attempting to hitch a ride for as long as they can
>>
hello

Has anybody here used both Bunsenlabs and Archbang? How do they compare? I've only used bunsenlabs.
>>
>tfw you mess up a bunch of dependencies and libraries with ABI flags on gentoo and now you have to recompile a bunch of stuff
>>
So, I bored an thinking about installing Gentoo in a VM and while reading the guides I was asking myself, if it's possible, when my install is finished, to dd it to a USB stick and have some sort of "Live Gentoo"?
>>
>>54645118
God bless you OP, I am always lurking these threads waiting for the pic.
>>
>>54645118
Someone with GIMP skill pls turn this into a wall.
>>
>so_many_kernels,_which_one_should_we_use.jpg
>>
>>54645722
inb4 20 Krita shitposts
>>
>>54645742
>you will never hunt for kernels with RMS
>>
Anyone has some insight, links, etc about reverse engeneering and/or more info about creating free drivers?
>>
>>54645206
Content > Advanced > Minimum font size: None
>>
>>54645826
FF wizard? Sort of related question: How to re-enable (local) bitmap font support for FF?
>>
installing debian atm for a dual boot setup, I'm at the manual disk paritioning part.

I'm going to resize a partiton that may or may not be 2/3 full of data, I don't remember and don't want to cancel installation to check

The installer's partiton editor says.
>the minimum size for this patition is 233.4 GB (or 63%) and its maximum size is 367.0 GB
Is the installer actually aware that the partition contains data? Is 233.4 GB a safe number to resize it to, or is it just an arbitrary number.
>>
>>54645506
>canonical's software
What are you talking about?
>>
>>54645118
Do you have a 1080p wallpape of that image?
>>
>>54645858
What do you mean by local? Firefox respects fontconfig fairly well. Can you use bitmap fonts in other applications?
>>
>>54645504
I've watched the video.
>>
>>54645897
p-pls respond.

I want to make the partition as small as possible while preserving the data, but I'm unsure what is meant by "the minimum size for this partition".
>>
>>54645826
It's already set to "none". Please notice that I'm talking about Firefox interface, not content.
>>
File: suse.png (7 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
suse.png
7 KB, 256x256
Long-time *buntu user here (chiefly Xubuntu), currently considering switching to OpenSUSE.

What am I in for? Any caveats/advice/general shitposts related to OpenSUSE? It seems like this distro isn't really talked about, and I'm not sure what to make of that.
>>
How's kernel 4.6 handling skylake laptops?
>>
>>54646038
To add: My chief concern is support for wireless module MT7630 (shitty ASUS laptop purchased before I thought to research linux compatibility).
Based on searches, there are packages available in OpenSUSE for this module, so I think I should be good to go.
>>
>>54646035
That should be the same as other gtk interfaces that you're using.

What is your distro?
You can try installing a tool called "lxappearance" which will let you set the default font
>>
>>54646008
stop being a faggot and do it
are you ONE OF US?
>>
anyone having trouble with apt update stalling?

it's been hanging for a bit on me. on 16.04.
>>
If I use Antergos, am I a pleb?
If I do just go with Arch, I'm at least going to use Architect
>>
>>54646038
opensuse is interesting and they are good at patching. Yast is pretty cool. The default permissions are a bit different.
tumbleweed is neat.
Thats all i remember.
>>
>>54646117
Probably pretty good. Do it.
>>54647027
You are a pleb if you care so much about the opinions of strangers on the internet. i personally dont like arch/derivatives but i wouldn't call you a pleb for using one.
>>
>>54647170
>about to install Arch
>bring over laptop so I can read the wiki while installing
>knock over a small cup of marinara sauce
>clean up and reboot back into Fedora
never again
>>
Don't call it GNU/Linux, it gives Stallsham too much credit when all he does is ride Linus's coat-tails.

Inb4 rabid virgin Stallmanites try to list his 'achievements'

>wrote emacs
Contributed to guy steele's TECO macros, later cloned gosmacs, the actual first emacs for UNIX. If stallman wrote emacs, apple is the sole creator of webkit.
>wrote gcc and gdb
He wrote the C compiler initially, but the vast majority of development for other compilers and the C compiler has came from non-stallman sources.

And he hasn't programmed in years. Stallman is washed up, and his justifications for copyleft are horribly invalid nonsense that would make more sense if they were actual thinly veiled communism instead of selfish ramblings and a desire for a world that catered to his specific social class.
>>
>>54647392
Copyleft? Literally what? Guy is more crooked than Hillary
>>
>>54647392
are you trying to turn this into copypasta? you sound pretty butthurt over this.
>>
File: ads.jpg (72 KB, 641x416) Image search: [Google]
ads.jpg
72 KB, 641x416
I'm trying to do some things at the same time and failing at both.
1.- I can't manage to change my font colors using xresources.
I created .Xresources like the wiki told me to and pasted some config from other anon on a desktop thread. Don't know what am I doing wrong.

2.- My ncmpcpp looks like pic related, which is nothing at all like the config file I copied from dotshare.it.

Any ideas?
>>
>>54647419
>kenichi !!e5L8ARYrOVf
fuck off tripfag
>>
>tfw using checkinstall to make my own packages for the first time
feels good man
>>
>>54647419

A communist trying to take credit for the hard work of others!? What a surprise...
>>
>>54647429
why not post (as a pastebin link) your xresources file and provide a link to that config you want to achieve?
>>
>>54647426

>Stallmanite thinking his opinion matters
>>
>>54647392

>copyleft

Had to google this, it actually exists.

Fucking commie.
>>
>>54647536

>>54646808
I noticed the filename this anon is editing in his desktop and I kind of read the Arch Wiki article on Xresources.
Right now, my entire .Xresources is basically just the FONT COLORS part, being:

! ----- FONT COLORS -----!
!black
*color0: #323246
*color8: #323246
!red
*color1: #653b3e
*color9: #653b3e
!green
*color2: #7a833d
*color10: #7a833d
!yellow
*color3: #ab7438
*color11: #ab7438
!blue
*color4: #475971
*color12: #475971
!purple
*color5: #694255
*color13: #694255
!cyan
*color6: #3e6868
*color14: #3e6868
!white
*color7: #ffffff
*color15: #ffffff
! --------------------- !
>>
>>54647549
>>54647567
samefag
now go and make a stallman hate thread somewhere. This thread is too friendly for people like you.
>>
>>54647392

He didn't write emacs, he did a half-assed job of forking someone else's work. He also wrote a C compiler, something many people have done.

He just takes credit for the work of others and demands to be listened to because he's an autistic faggot.

Terry for new /g/ mascot.

MR MOD, TEAR DOWN THAT STICKY
>>
>>54647587
It's about time this homeless looking meaningless toe fungus eating faggot is taken down from /g/.
>>
So I've been using xubuntu for a while now and I really like it. What's been bothering me tho is that when I want to resize a window it's sometimes hard to get a hold of the edge of a window because the area where I can actually drag to resize it is so small.

Looked through the window manager configuration already but seems that that's not changeable.
Any ideas? Should I just use another WM?
>>
>>54647609

Terry is a much more capable mascot. He actually wrote an OS, as opposed to Stallman who just took credit for someone else making an OS
>>
>>54647579
do you use zsh as well? If not maybe you need a different format for the file.
You could troubleshoot by backing up your current xresources file and creating a new one without the color information. If the colors change - at least it has some effect at all.
Apart from that I have no idea what the problem is, except that by some magic your system interprets those color codes differently, but that doesn't seem possible.
>>
>>54647614
The wm theme is responsible for the impossibly small borders. You can change the theme, or try one of the other ways of resizing windows. I haven't found a better solution, but I maximize most applications anyways.

>>54647621
But Terry is (more) insane.
>>
>>54647614
according to this article, ironically from the xubuntu project itself, you can use a different theme or a different method, but they don't mention changing the window border thickness:
http://xubuntu.org/news/window-resizing-in-xubuntu-and-xfce/
>>
>>54647621
Terry & Linus are both more capable mascots. There are plenty others as well
>>
>>54647633
Ah! I'm using bash. I guess that has to be it.
>>
>>54647659
>>54647663

Okay I'll try that. Thanks for the quick response
>>
bit of a laterally-related question, used Linux for over a decade at home now, only use Wangblows at work because I have no choice, I need to git gud at SSIS and need to install a Wangblows VM to install the SSIS toolset, what's the slimmest version of Wangblows I can use and still run a reasonably-decent version of SSIS? Server 2003? Server 2000?
>>
>>54647392
>>54647587
But what the fuck does any of that even matter?

I've said this before and nobody seemed to care, but I'll say it again

Who the fuck decided that an operating system must be named after whatever components primarily make it up?

Who says we can't just call it Cock OS?

There's no point in bringing up credientials or logic to determine what it _should_ be called because there's no fucking set of rules for that. It can be named anything, and seeing as it's a community project I'd say it's up to the community at large that uses it to decide.

and I'm pretty damn sure they've already decided on "Linux". Not everyone of course, but you're never going to get 100% approval. For the most part though it's already been decided. Is that a slight against Stallman? No, it's just "GNU/Linux" is fucking retarded and nobody wants to say that.
Get over it.
>>
>>54647670
>Linus
made one kernel even though he wanted to make an OS
>rms
wrote a compiler, made the gpl, worked together with the rest of the gnu team to make a full userland, didn't finish a kernel
>terry
wrote an OS by himself from scratch, it's not good but it's an OS.
>>
>>54647700
>>54647715
I wonder.. is it possible that your passion for discrediting RMS comes from your idea that a communist isn't allowed to have any achievements?
Please tell me if that is true, that would explain so much! Finally I'd be able to understand what drives people like you. Is this an ideological issue? That would finally bring some sense into your behaviour!

The only other explanation I have is that you must be incredibly bored. Try some reading, maybe a bit of philosophy?
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>>
>>54647742
How biased do you have to be to think the first of those two posts you quoted is "RMS discrimination"?

Are you so upset you can't even think straight? The post was completely neutral.
>>
http://youtu.be/I25UeVXrEHQ
>>
>>54647742
you are definitely quoting the wrong people. i actually really like rms, the gnu project and the idea of copyleft. I'm >>54647715
>>
http://youtu.be/jskq3-lpQnE
>>
>>54647759
>>54647803
damn, sorry, you are right.

I didn't think straight, but not because I'm upset, but because I was excited that I had a theory that finally explained this Stallman hate
>>
>>54647820
your theory is interesting but i think it's either people that like to be contrary and only have social interaction on here, people who want to troll freetards, people hired by companies that make proprietary software and want to use stuff without going back (this would explain the hate for copyleft licenses) or what you said.
>>
>>54647742
Maybe it's because he once begged for 50% of the credit for an OS that was maybe 30% his, and that meme continues to be shoved down our throats by self righteous nerds who bow to him.

It's the same kind of hate and pity you harbor when someone says steve jobs invented the personal computer.

>BUT HE CLONED XEROX
>BUT A MODERN MACHINE IS SO MUCH MORE
>BUT THERE WERE EARLIER EXAMPLES
>>
>>54647614
>>54647614
use alt+left click (anywhere in the window) and drag to move, alt+right click (anywhere in the window) and drag to resize from nearest corner. Or sometimes windows button instead of alt.
>>
>>54645504
The Windows (Vista?) teleprompter computer at the 13:29 mark gets me every time.
>>
Hey guys, I use emacs and wanted to start with C. How do I make emacs use mingw when I try to run a .c file instead of visual studio
>>
File: 1460581555553.jpg (39 KB, 531x591) Image search: [Google]
1460581555553.jpg
39 KB, 531x591
>delete a partition in gparted
>move another partition to the left
>2 hours into a 2 and a half hour move
>accidentally click close button
>it fucking quits

wtf i hate stallman now
>>
>>54648192
>mingw
Just move to GNU+Linux already
>>
>>54647695
Bumping, sorry
>>
>>54648209
The big problem is that I am at school right now with one of their laptops. I wished I could use a linux distro
>>
>>54648209

>GNU+Linux

Stallmanite virgin detected.

You buy your shirts second hand too?
>>
>>54648249
Look at the thread you are in.
Look at OPs post
Is this a /flt/? no it is a /fg+lt/
Also are you implying that Stallman's priority on freedom is misguided?
>>
>>54648280

Stallshams version of freedom is basically 'you can do whatever you want provided it's what I want you to do'

The fat faggot.
>>
>>54648193
good thing you kept the resume log, right?
>>
>>54648209
well thank you for all the help you provided with this.
you silly fucktard :)
>>
>>54648280

>communist
>freedom

Pick one
>>
>>54647549

Fuck Stallman. He should thank Linus every day that he was allowed the opportunity to contribute to Linux, rather than fade into obscurity. His only claim to fame is the work Linus allowed him to contribute to Linux. But that's not good enough for the fat attention whore, he demands he is given credit for Linus's work.

Linus has said it's not GNU/Linux, just Linux. He's the authority. The only people who say GNU are Stallman's virgin cheerleaders, who are even more pathetic than him.

Fuck I hate Stallmanites.
>>
>>54648323
nah mate I'm retarded.
>>
>>54648305
Nah.
It's
>you can do whatever as long as you don't take away the freedom of others.

The GPL is a legal framework to force this practise to those who wouldn't respect it otherwise.

Can RMS not be an extremist of his own movement?
>>
File: mandrake.png (103 KB, 401x306) Image search: [Google]
mandrake.png
103 KB, 401x306
>Want to create a network bridge to share with VMs
>Instructions are to create a bridge in the GUI network connection editor, slave the network interface and check the 'always connect when available' checkbox
>Do it
>Doesn't work
>Manually bringing up slave interface through nmcli returns error stating that the master UUID does not exist
>Spend hours troubleshooting
>See the interface periodically connecting and disconnecting for no clear reason
>Eventually realize it's connecting when I've just edited /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
>Not when i've restarted network-manager
>Like I could leave the configuration that's not working intact reboot the machine, not have the networking working touch the config file and have it work
>MFW considering fixing it by just having a script touch the config file on system startup
>>
>>54648573

The GPL is nothing but a scam forced upon idiots so that Stallman can dictate exactly how things should be, exactly like a dictatorship.

GNU spreads its long rambling exceptional confusing propaganda to idiot programmers worldwide who actually fall for the "freedom" cult - they join ship with the license called GPL - the entry form that gets one in to the cult.The license is so long that people do not read it, and join ship mainly because they see the word FREE everywhere. That, and role models such as Linus Torvalds made the brain damaged decision to join the cult - so if he joined, the mass will follow. In his defense, Linus does disagree with a lot of the cult, but he still ultimately joined (for pragmatic reasons of reusing lots of exising GNU software already made).
The Cult License And Philosophy

The GPL (so called FREE SOFTWARE LICENSE) is one of the longest, most confusing, and most restricting licenses in the world (i.e. not free).

The philosophy and the "four freedoms" that someone made up on a Tuesday evening are pure horse shit.

According to freedom one, I can run software for any purpose. True freedom indeed. So since I can use it for any purpose, does that include running a script to remove any traces of GPL licenses and re-licensing it all as BSD/MIT? I mean, that is true freedom.. to be able to use software for ANY purpose
>>
>>54648493
>>54648635
you use the same wording every day.
how about you shit up some other place and fuck off?
>>
>>54648653

Stallmanite virgin damage control.
>>
>>54648635
The GPL removes one "freedom", the "freedom" to limit how others use your software, I.e. Remove others freedom.

>I mean, that is true freedom.. to be able to use software for ANY purpose
The only thing you can't do is take other people's freedom, so the only reason you'd want that "freedom" is to make the software less free.
>>
>>54648493
>>54648635
I hope these superficial deceiving shills go soon.
>>
File: image.png (69 KB, 811x512) Image search: [Google]
image.png
69 KB, 811x512
>>54648785

>shill

The man's a hippocrite.

Oh yes, GNU and FSF are sleazily masked as non-profit, especially with Stallman and his street bum appearance and clothing.

Cult leaders are always compensated much much more than the cult members. The cult members, the ones who use the GPL and LGPL license, write software mostly free of charge for the cult leaders to earn fame and money. Of course, Stallman says several times that "WE ARE ABLE TO PRODUCE SOFTWARE WITHOUT MONEY". Except, the half a million dollar compensation there that we see above.. paid to cult leaders. Some cult leaders receive three salaries for management, services, and fiddling with their nipples.

Little do the cult members (GPL software developers) know that they are supporting rich goons, the cult leaders, who horde all the funds for themselves.
>>
File: 1398922189100.jpg (25 KB, 500x432) Image search: [Google]
1398922189100.jpg
25 KB, 500x432
Mint 17.3, Linux 4.4 kernel
mounting an exFAT drive (SD in my phone) freezes the system
installed exfat-fuse and utils, still freezes
what now?
>>
So one of the arguments I've heard against Debian and in favor of Ubuntu distros for desktop application is that Debian often does not support 'newer technologies' (as stated on the german distrowatch page in disadvantages of Debian)

Is there something to that and if so, what does this mean exactly? Is it meant in terms of hardware support and/or drivers or what?
>>
>>54648812
Stop using mint.
It's broken.
>>
>>54648829
Debian by default doesn't provide non-free software and is very restrictive on what you can install. You can easily modify the config file to install whatever you want, but the result is that you won't have your wifi drivers working out of the box, you' won't be using the proprietary drives for your GPU, you won't have flash pre-installed, you won't be able to install steam easily (not available by default then you'll have to install some bit library manually)
tl;dr : it's a bad idea to install it if you don't have experience with linux and / or don't want to deal with those stuff.

Then if you can go further, debian is usually running old versions of your packages. The kernel won't be the latest release, so you'll miss some improvements made by amd or nvidia which contributes a lot to the kernel nowadays.
>>
>>54648635
Your freedom stops where the freedom of the others starts.

>GPL
you're free do do whatever you want with my software as long as you don't fuck up the freedom of other people

>Open source license permitting proprietary shit
Go ahead use my code and fuck up the freedom of your users.
>>
>>54648829
1) Debian stable is doesn't get new stuff (it is supposed be for servers and only gets security and bugfixes updates), testing and unstable get newer stuff 2) Debian developers are generly greybeards who are used to doing things a certain way so they wait until a new tech gets un-ignorable before it becomes default
>>
>>54648602
Also restarting network-manager after gaining connectivity breaks it again.
>>
>>54648921

Limits on freedom are, by definition, not freedom. You Stallmanites are so blinded by this you don't even see how hippocritical you're being.

The GPL poisons everything it touches.
>>
>>54648801
>posting a screenshot from that website
you are the same dude that shitposted about this half a year ago right?
>>54648635
nobody forces you to use the GPL.
>>
>>54649131
this is why the american freedom allows you to take the freedom of others away right?
>>
>>54649131
the thing is that in one case the users freedom is respected while on the second case the users freedom is not.
Why would that be allowed ? how is that freedom ?

GPL is about the freedom of the users, not the freedom of the developers.
>>
>>54649172

What faggot country are you from where you think you know more than an American about freedom?

Wherever it is I hope we liberate the fuck out of it next. Fucking commie faggot.
>>
>>54649225

>you have complete freedom
>except with these limitations

Keep digging yourself into that hole, you Stallmanite faggot.
>>
>>54647859
>>54647820
he's a /pol/tard that thinks free software resembles communism. proof is >>54649264
>>
>>54649264
>>54649274
Just to remind you, France gave you freedom and actually taught you about freedom.

Now tell me : How does the GPL restrict the freedom of the users ? Give me one fucking example instead of telling non sense
>>
>>54648801

Is that legit? It's kinda fucked if so
>>
File: 1452669283453.png (2 KB, 210x138) Image search: [Google]
1452669283453.png
2 KB, 210x138
I'm just leaving this here.
>>
>>54649335
it's from one single website made by someone who uses capslock on very third word. how legit do you think that can be?
also there is a reason why a lot of the money from the fsf is used for lawyers, they protect the gpl as a legal document. look at the busybox incident for example.
>>
>>54649334

How about all the places where Stallman dictates exactly what the User can't do, for example; GPL 1, GPL 2, GPL 3, GPL 4, modification to freedom and exception number 3256. On and on and on.
The GNU, FSF, and GPL are one giant bowl of exception after exception cereal (Stallmanism, not freedom)

True vagueness. A mess indeed. Is it really about freedom, or maybe is it an opinion of one lunatic who has modified his definition of FREEDOM and COST so many times that one cannot take the man seriously since ... not today, but since about 1980 something when he released the GNU MANIFESTO.

Face it, you're a deluded Stallmanite
>>
>>54649406
how about an example? you didn't answer his question.
>>
>>54649367

>it's not legit because I don't like the website, ignore the lawyers salaries and Stallman fleecing his donators

Kek. You support Mao too? He only had what's best for his people at heart right? Who cares about those 80 million deaths.

Deluded fucking communist
>>
Everybody in the tech world who still calls the GNU OS just Linux, while secretly knowing it better, was once interjected and couldn't stand being corrected.
>>
>>54649406
oh fuck off I'm tired of your shit. Go and create a thread where you'll be able to shitpost about the GPL somewhere else.
What about emailing Stallman and tell you what you think ? Maybe he'll accept your arguments and create a new license that respect users freedom as you think.
>>
>>54649417
I think we should just ignore him. Maybe he'll go away and create a windows general thread
>>
>>54649435
>the GNU OS just Linux
Some GNU variants don't even use Linux.
>kFreeBSD
>Hurd
>etc
>>
>>54649417

>taking advice on how to use you own work from a guy who hasn't ever had a proper job and his one achievement was being included in Linus's work on Linux

That delusion is incredible.
>>
>>54649437

>Stallman doing anything besides taking credit for he work of others

What colour is the sky in your world?
>>
>>54649464
>>54649475
(you)
>>
I managed to succesfully launch and play some games of league of legends with playonlinux, but i get only 20fps with lowest settings, while i had 80fps with medium settings on windows. Is there anything i can do to improve perfomance? Im on arch with
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] BeaverCreek [Radeon HD 6620G]
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Seymour [Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series]
>>
Terry for new /g/ mascot

MR MOD, TEAR THAT STICKY DOWN
>>
File: 1442989645905.jpg (26 KB, 396x360) Image search: [Google]
1442989645905.jpg
26 KB, 396x360
Why must /g/ fall every fucking day for the "It's just Linux." bait? I mean this bait's beard is so long, it goes back to the 90s. Jesus christ.

>>54649449
That's the whole point.

- GNU using Linux as kernel is called GNU/Linux.
- GNU using kFreeBSD as kernel is called GNU/kFreeBSD.
And so the list goes on. The kernel is part of the name to distinguish the different variants of the GNU system.
>>
Why does xargs -0 date +%s -d append a newline character to the string he gets? When I pipe the same output into a file without the xargs and display the special characters it doesn't show a newline.
>>
>>54649568
because /g/ is flooded with new users that might jump on the hate bandwagon and ruin this place if nobody tears whoever baits or shills this.
we need mods that do their job.
>>
>>54649568

T. Delusional Stallmanite

If Linus hadn't used Stallman's work he would have died in obscurity, while Linus would have used something else. Stallsham needs Linus, not the other way round.

You have to put yourself into the mentality of a man who claims to be a Doctor without gaining a PhD, but yet denies Torvalds who also has honorific doctorates the same respect.

He's an attention seeker that tries to glorify himself at the extent of damaging those who actually work hard.

Calling it GNU/Linux is disrespectful to Linus.
>>
>>54649559
Hello 9gag.
>>
>>54649601
>Calling it GNU/Linux is disrespectful to Linus.
top kek. RMS doesn't demand it to be called stallmanix.
>>
>>54649595

The only job mods need to do is remove that fat fucking plagarist from the sticky.
>>
>>54649568
Is it not possible to call it something other than the official name?

What if I just say I want to use "Linux" as a nickname for "GNU/Linux"
Who the fuck are you to tell me I can't?
>>
>>54649612

Don't believe that for a second. 'Doctor' Stallman is nothing but an attention seeker. If he could get away with calling it Stallmanix he would.

Give that faggot an inch, he'd demand a mile. Calling it GNU/Linux only enables him.
>>
As a Windows user I have to say I'm liking all this RMS hate. These Linux generals always seemed to be a bit of a circle jerk. This is a nice change of pace.
>>
>>54649685
>change
this shitposting has been going for over half a year.
these threads are a place to share neat things, scripts, configs and help.
>>
Anyone know where to set the blur radius for translucent backgrounds in KDE Plasma 5 ?

Google says ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc, but mentions nothing about what exactly the appropriate lines are, only that they have to do with blur radius. That file doesn't seem to exist by default in Plasma 5, though...
>>
send help I'm too scared to do dualboot
>>
>>54649601
You're acting like Linus took some GNU tools to complete his OS. I guess the reason for this is that you're maybe too young to know the history of both projects.

In the 80s, Stallman was pissed that there's no free system, so he started to create a operating system from scratch. Many people contributed, even BSD people helped, after RMS convinced them to free their project. He contributed lots of code to many GNU projects (not only emacs/gcc) you're using every day without realizing it (man ls as example), he wrote many papers about software freedom and it's importance, wrote the GPL license and is fighting for freedom till today.

In the 90s Linus wrote well working kernel, which was a good thing, because together with the GNU system, people could finally have a working OS at their homes without waiting for Hurd. Since Linux was "the new shit" back in the days, people said: "You're running Linux?" - "Yes man!". Back then, these people were actually talking about the kernel, but today, when people say Linux, they don't mean the kernel; they're searching a word to describe distributions like Debian or Arch as a whole. One problem is that there are Debian and Arch distros, not using Linux which makes Linux as description technically wrong, but the worst problem is that people, not coming from the tech world think Linus created everything in the 90s just for fun, instead for freedom.

I don't like the idea of GNU and Linux people start hating each other. If you ask me, this whole "Foot cheese eating jew" trolling is nothing but edgy kindergarten cancer, dividing the community.
>>
>>54650036
i like your rationality.
>>54650031
what are you scared of? did you backup your data? do you need help?
>>
File: 1458766493474.jpg (95 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1458766493474.jpg
95 KB, 400x400
>>54649656
You can even call it "potato", but don't get butthurt when people laugh at you.
>>
>>54650272
Exactly, you CAN call it potato. So you admit there is no actual rule for it?

Now why would you say people would laugh at that choice? Is it because it's not the _common_ name that literally everyone uses?

What is that name again? Oh right. It's Linux. Not GNU/Linux.

Like I said, the community gets to decide what it's called. Not you. and Linux is by far the most popular way to refer to it.
>>
>>54650297
Why are

you posting

like a retard

?
>>
File: 258548917.jpg (54 KB, 800x900) Image search: [Google]
258548917.jpg
54 KB, 800x900
g-guys pls this is the f-friendly GNU/Linux thread
>>
>>54650335
To lure you into showing that you have nothing better to respond with than to point out my horrible formatting.

Checkmate.
>>
File: 1434664233647.png (115 KB, 816x3242) Image search: [Google]
1434664233647.png
115 KB, 816x3242
>>
>>54650031
if you're scared there's simple things to do to not fuck up.
1- back up your data
2- boot on windows, there's a tool to manage your disk. There you can lower you windows partition without the fear of fucking up something.
3- boot on the CD or USB of the distribution you want to install
4- pick manual installation

When you're doing the manual installation, it won't execute the actions imediatly, when you'll click on "next" it will show you all the actions it will do and ask you if you want it to execute them.
>>
What's a good, light and riceable Login Manager for arch?
I'm tired of the console popping up, and tried XDM but some stuff isnt properly documented.
>>
>>54650517
lightdm. you can choose the greeter you want. Then to rice it I don't know how far you can go
>>
>>54647715
TempleOS is good for what it is, very good actually.
>>
I can see from google searches a lot of people's *buntus are stuck on apd-update, is there any official word on it besides bug reports?
>>
>>54650558

>Then to rice it I don't know how far you can go
You can completely theme it with CSS if you're using the GTK3 greeter. You can also theme it with HTML/CSS if you use the webkit2 greeter.

>ricing everything

Kill yourselves.
>>
>>54650634
Just basic ricing so everything is themed similarly anon.

I don't want people to mock the GNU/Linux system just because my OS looks bad.
>>
>>54650747
No one actually does that.
Actually no ones really give a shit on what you're using.
>>
>>54650517
Why using a DM at all? Keep it simple and autologin.
>>
>>54650900
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/X_without_Display_Manager
>>
>>54650566
>for what it is
yes, but only for that. there are way better designed OS. MINIX3 being an example.
>>
>>54645504
why is Stallman always scratching or eating things from his feet?
>>
>>54651052
see >>54649607
>>
I need a good upnp/dlna server.

I tried readymedia, but it unfortunately doesn't have thumbnail support and while it can transcode, I'd like it to be different per device if possible. Also I'd like an option to transcode with subs if available.
>>
wtf is this shit?
>What is the output of "date -u >+%V$(uname)|sha224sum|sed 's/\W//g'"?(
why can't arch forum just give normal captcha?
how do i go trough it?
>>
how do i fix this
==> Validating AMD-APP-SDKInstaller-v3.0.130.135-GA-linux64.tar.bz2 files with sha256sum ...
AMD-APP-SDKInstaller-v3.0.130.135-GA-linux64.tar.bz2: FAILED
sha256sum: WARNING: 1 computed checksum did NOT match
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build amdapp-sdk.
==> Restart building amdapp-sdk-nocatalyst ? [y/N]
>>
Is it possible when downloading a desktop environment, to choose only certain components to be installed? First time installing a DE here, trying to get KDE but I don't want some of the things it has like the IM client and cd ripper, etc.
>>
>>54651299
nvm, tust type that in terminal
>>
>>54651498
sure thing. Don't download the metapackage (called "kde-desktop" or something) and instead only download the components that you want.
There is a risk of fucking it up though, because if you forget to download an essential tool like the network manager or system settings then your experience would be diminished.
But what you want is absolutely possible. What do you actually want? Just the kde desktop without any applications?
>>
>>54651594
Yeah pretty much. I don't want any of the free applications which come bundled with it, it's just unnecessary bloat to me. I'll install my own software when I need to, so I just want the DE only without all of the added software.
>>
>>54651625
on any serious distro's website you can check their packages, see what the metapackage pulls in and install everything but what you can safely exclude
>>
I've put an ISO onto a partition, is there a way to have GRUB2 boot into it?
>>
>>54651803
If you wrote the iso to it, yes. but it would make more sense to use an image for this.
>>
>>54651427
https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/amdapp-sdk/?comments=all
>>
>>54650900
>Not wanting security
>>
Does anyone know why my fresh LightDM install doesn't run my .xinitrc?
Tried setting LightDM to boot using my user instead of lightdm, but that doesn't log me in after entering my passwd
>>
>>54652140
If someone has already physical access, security doesn't exist.
>>
Does someone here has an nice cli script for downloading all images from one thread?

I tried some stuff found via google but i cant get it to work.

As an example
wget -r -np -P downloads/4chunscraps -A jpeg,jpg,bmp,gif,png http://boards.4chan.org/w/thread/
>>
>>54652140
>security
>a DM
What prevents you from switching to tty2 and startx?
>>
>>54652540
True, if the dweebs that enter my computer are able to use awesomewm, then they'll be able to fuck it up anyway
>>
>>54652555
fourchan-dl
>>
>>54650900
If you use different desktop enviroments and don't want to edit a text file every time you switch
>>
File: 1446733594919.png (650 KB, 1812x1905) Image search: [Google]
1446733594919.png
650 KB, 1812x1905
>>54652555
alias 4get='wget -qe robots=off -rHDi.4cdn.org -nc -nd -ERs.jpg,html'

Usage: $ 4get <url>
>>
>>54652596
~/.xinitrc
# Here Xfce is kept as default
session=${1:-xfce}

case $session in
awesome ) exec awesome;;
bspwm ) exec bspwm;;
catwm ) exec catwm;;
cinnamon ) exec cinnamon-session;;
dwm ) exec dwm;;
enlightenment ) exec enlightenment_start;;
ede ) exec startede;;
fluxbox ) exec startfluxbox;;
gnome ) exec gnome-session;;
gnome-classic ) exec gnome-session --session=gnome-classic;;
i3|i3wm ) exec i3;;
icewm ) exec icewm-session;;
jwm ) exec jwm;;
kde ) exec startkde;;
mate ) exec mate-session;;
monster|monsterwm ) exec monsterwm;;
notion ) exec notion;;
openbox ) exec openbox-session;;
unity ) exec unity;;
xfce|xfce4 ) exec startxfce4;;
xmonad ) exec xmonad;;
# No known session, try to run it as command
*) exec $1;;
esac

>>
>>54652555
related question: is it true that a lot of websites hate wget mass-downloading data and may ban you for it?
>>
>>54652486
show your .xinitrc and tell us the DE you're using (or wm).
>>
>>54652650
Not true. The traffic you cause with wget is pretty minimal, comparable with visiting a page using a simple browser.
>>
>>54652650
Some disallow curl/wget in their robots.txt, but I guess the reason for it is that they want the people to visit the actual website and load the ads. You can escape such restrictions by using a different user agent or simply ignore the robots.txt like >>54652627 did.
>>
Hey guys, I have a bit of a challenge for you

My sister has a very old netbook (it shipped with WinXP and an intel atom, 1 GB of RAM). It was running WinXP and was understandably quite slow. I advised her that we upgrade her to Lubuntu since it's the lightest distro I knew about

However after a few months of using Lubuntu she's been complaining to me that her computer is now sometimes even slower and freezes a lot more than with WinXP... so I ask: what distro do you recommend for this case? Or is it something in the config that I haven't set properly?

I don't use Lubuntu, I run Debian on my higher end machines with GNOME, so I've never had to optimize for low performance

What do you advice?

And no, we can't really do "No DE's" with her, I strongly doubt she'd like to bother learning how to use i3 or the like.
>>
>>54652486
rename it to .xprofile
Yes, it is dumb.
>>
>>54652771
the *buntu distros often use more bloated software and defaults for DEs like lxde than for example debian. get her debian with openbox or so. and get her an SSD.
>>
>>54652771
bunsenlabs is pretty lightweight and nice for the eyes. It's basically debian with openbox, already set up and works out of the box.
>>
how do i make nautilus stay running when i close it? or anything that will make it keep the thumbnails?
>>
>>54652771
Puppy Linux. Can't get much lighter for a user friendly distribution
>>
>>54652771
>>54652982
To add to this, there is a puppy spin called Tahrpup, which is binary compatible with Ubuntu
>>
>>54652486

Display managers don't mess with your xinitrc. The xinitrc is for starting X with startx.
Display managers source this >>54652789 file
>>
what am I supposed to do if I do 'pacman -Syu' and it shows there are no updates even after a week? I also did 'pacman -Syyu' and it didn't help. There are usually updates within a day let alone a week.
>>
>>54653052

Check your mirrors. Download an updated mirror list from the Arch website.
>>
So I'm using xterm so I can run ranger etc. with picture previews. Obviously since it's xterm, I'm having a lot of trouble setting the right settings.

In my ~/.Xresources I want to specify a dark purple background, so I have this:

XTerm*background: rbg:30/00/30

But the xterm background shows up as white, ant the uxterm background shows up as black.

Any idea what I'm missing?
>>
File: maps.png (88 KB, 1920x131) Image search: [Google]
maps.png
88 KB, 1920x131
I always get this WebGL crash when loading google maps. How fix?

Kubuntu with chromium, all latest packages
>>
>>54653074

>rbg

Try rgb instead.
>>
>>54653052
Told you the other day,update your fucking mirrors. Or you're a retard and disabled main repos
>>
Where do i find the svg of the logos logo?
>>
>>54653068
>>54653102
Okay I did update them and it still says nothing to do
>>
>>54653124
You're full of shit then
>>
>>54653093

Thank God this is the friendly GNU/Linux thread, or you'd otherwise be perfectly entitled to call me retarded. Thanks.
>>
>>54653131
okay here are my mirrors
http://pastebin.com/eZMLF7BN
>>
Linux will be dead to most of the humanity, until it becomes "press 1 button and everything is working, go do your stuff". Simplicity > Complexity.
>>
>>54652771
Add RAM.

I bet her complaints arise mostly from browsing anyway.
>>
>>54653175
Ubuntu is trying to get there. I don't know if a casual user even needs the terminal for anything at this point
>>
Is there a way to start vim temporary with a different colorscheme? Something like: vim -colorscheme zenburn?
>>
>>54653273
They're close. They'll get there one the animations aren't whack. Last time I checked, it was pretty weird.
>>
>>54649548
anyone?
>>
>>54653330
you check winehq?
>>
>>54653165
webm of Syyu or troll
>>
>>54653352
didn't find anything useful
>>
>>54653165
bro, uncomment more.
>>
>>54653330
I had a similar issue with WoW until I discovered how to add a script to enable WebGL. Google that
>>
>>54653376
you're myopic then.
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=33303
>don't use playonlinux for rolling distributions
>>
>>54653175
>>54653273
>m-muh marketshare
It's about freedom, not marketshare; something that Canonical fags simply don't get.
Nobody should give a shit about how "hip and cool" his operating system is. Instead, people should use free distros to have freedom.
>>
>>54653175
So Fedora ?
>>
How do I know if I actually have a WWAN device in my laptop?

rfkill says it's there
0: tpacpi_wwan_sw: Wireless WAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no

lspci says it's not:
http://pastebin.com/ibVSfsqU

ip link says it's not there:
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp0s25: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether 5c:ff:35:0e:1c:65 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlp3s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1280 qdisc mq state UP mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
link/ether 00:23:14:e7:90:40 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

What do?
>>
With GNOME, how can I switch around workspaces (their order) without having to play leaping frog with windows, always leaving one open in a workspace so it won't autoclose?
>>
>>54653165

Use the mirrorlist status feature.

http://pastebin.com/uuYpNEQf
>>
>>54652797
>>54652817
>>54652982
>>54653016
>>54653220

Alright, I'll look into these. I'll come back later with more questions probably

Unfortunately we aren't really in a position to get her more RAM or an SSD right now, so the solution will have to be entirely software for now

Thanks for the help
>>
>>54653438
>wlp3s0 state UP
>>
>>54653469
have you looked through the preferences on the workspace switcher?
>>
>>54653516

wlp3s0 is my WLAN device.
I want to test the WWAN thingy.
>>
>>54653520
Do you mean GNOME-Tweaker's Workspace tab?

It only really gives me the option to either static or dynamic workspace creation. I'd like to keep it dynamic but with the ability of switching their order around

Or is it less of pain in the ass with static?
>>
>>54653565
Do you even know what that is?
>>
>>54653400
what do i do with that page?
I'm totaly noob, don't even see where to download form.
>>
ZSH isnt completing paths.If i do /etc/ssh/ssh*
it just locks up and dosent complete.
What do?
>>
>>54653503
>>54652817
>>54652797
>>54652982
What are the major differences between Bunsenlabs (which is Debian based like you said), Tahrpup, and just plain good old Debian w/Openbox?

Would Debian w/LXDE be significantly heavier? I don't really feel like messing around a lot with it to get it to work, but I will if I have to

Like I said, I only really have a few months' worth of experience with Debian w/GNOME at the moment
>>
>>54653165
ok I uncommented some different mirrors and that worked for some reason
>>
>>54653609

All I want is to try to connect to the internet through my mobile provider, using my SIM card. ;_;
>>
>>54653695

No, it wouldn't be heavier.
Only idiots use downstream distributions like Bunsenlabs or whatever Tahrpup is.
>>
>>54653731
I ask because Lubuntu which obviously uses LXDE was giving her slow performance / freezing , so I wanted to make sure the difference in performance between Debian w/LXDE and Ubuntu w/LXDE would be worth the switch, or if it would be a sign to try something else
>>
>>54653731
You're a faggot and should leave this thread.
>>
>>54653636
download from riot's website. do the things it says with dependencies and winetricks and so on.
>>
>>54653777
I have it already downloaded with play on Linux, how do setup it from pol to wine?
>>
>>54653772

There will be no noticeable difference for browsing the internet with the same browser (or any "modern" browser) whether you're using LXDE on Debian or Ubuntu. The same applies to Bunsenlab and all those other distributions which are all the same, pre-riced Openbox environments.
>>
>>54653802
playonlinux is wine. just do the things it says and it could work better.
>>
>>54653848
Alternatively you can switch to OpenGL rendering by adding "x3d_platform=1" under [General] section in Config/game.cfg file.
You will need to remove corefonts overide and use wine-staging to get launcher running.

i have no idea how to do this :(
>>
>>54653812
What are some lighter browsers ? She was using Firefox and Chrome
>>
>>54653888
the game files should be in home/user/.wine/drive_c/Program files
or some playonlinux directory.
I assume there's a Config directory in there somewhere.
>>
>>54653920

There are no "lighter" browsers. Unless you want a text only web experience with lynx or something similar.
>>
>>54652627
thanks mate <3
>>
>>54654075
oh, alright then
thanks man
>>
What are the advantages to using downstream Distros?

I ask because I've been on Debian Sid for a while and I've felt perfectly happy using it as a Desktop OS
>>
>>54654154
entirely case dependent

ubuntu is better fitted for the desktop than debian
rhel is better suited for workstation/server/mission critical work than fedora
>>
What the fuck, recently libinput got installed enabling my touchpad which I never use, since I use my trackpoint. It's annoying the hell out of me.
Since it's a dependency of Qt5 (wtf?) I can't remove it. Is there a way I can recompile existing programs on Arch to use Qt4? Or can I somehow remove this shit?
>>
>>54653812
i don't know for lxde but for xfce xubuntu is way more resource intensive than debian+xfce
>>
>>54654358

There's a difference between libinput and the xf86-input-libinput driver. I'm not an expert, but I don't think that libinput alone would enable your touchpad or mess with your device settings.
>>
>>54654314
Why?
>>
>>54654358
look into modprobe
>>
>>54654358
no answer, sorry, but the trackpoint - that little nub in the middle of the keyboard - how can you possibly be using that as a full time replacement for your pad?
>>
>>54654358
Blacklist the module that it loads, /etc/modprobe.d/
>>
>>54654437
not him but it's pretty easy to depend almost exclusively on a keyboard with most modern DE/WM.
>>
I question just how light xubuntu is, it claims to use minimal resources but does it not seem almost identical to most other distros, just with less animations?
>>
>>54654075
There's Midori which tries to be light, but I can't say much about it I've never used it.
>>
>>54653920
>>54654075
there are, but the choices aren't very 'linear'
it's either;
- something based on a few "heavy" engines like webkit/blink/gecko/etc, that is, all the "big" browsers with all the features
- one of a few really basic browsers, which are light, but won't work with every page, such as dillo, netsurf, etc
- a text browser, which can be handy in certain circumstances, none of which an average user is likely to run into
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.