[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: richard-stallman-quote.jpg (513 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
richard-stallman-quote.jpg
513 KB, 960x540
Previously on: >>54601906
Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
>>54615743
on GNOME, how can I switch around one Workspace for another without having to move the windows one by one?

Say, I have programs A B on W1, C on W2, and D on W3. I want C to be W3 and D to be W2
>>
how to comfy conky-cli on top for stacking wm like in dwm but pretty like lxqt-panel default theme
>>
I have to use Packet Tracer on Debian testing. PT wants libssl1.0.0 and libcrypto1.0.0, but Debian testing only has libssl1.0.2 and whichever version of libcrypto.
Symlinking the newer libs to trick the program doesn't work, it throws
version 'OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by ./PacketTracer6)

So i LD_PRELOADed the older libs but i get a segmentation fault. Is there anything else i can try besides insulting Cisco for making shit software?
>>
>>54615741
Just to check, is a display manager equal to a login manager?

I don't need another window manager.
>>
I want to give Linux another go but I've always had graphics driver issues (GTX 950 - the DE just crashes on most environments and distros I've tried) but I'm considering installing Fedora. Is there a distro with better driver support or should I just go with Fedora(+rpmfusion)?
>>
>>54615899
>is a display manager equal to a login manager?
They're exactly the same thing, the proper name is a display manager.

It's purpose is to start a X session, that's why it's called a display manager
>>
>>54616041
Ubanto will give you the least painful way of installing proprietary drivers (A must on nvidia gpus).

On Fedora you have to do it the "traditional way" ie. via terminal because it doesn't have the dedicated tool for that unlike Ubanto.

http://negativo17.org/nvidia-driver/
>>
>>54616090
I'm fine with using the terminal for the most part. I've never seen this repo before, however. I may give it a try, thanks.
>>
>GNU/Linux

Stallman is a fraud. Calls himself a Doctor but doesn't have a PhD.

Takes credit for Linus's work. Calling it GNU/Linux is disrespectful.
>>
>tfw no new poettering creation to flame at
>>
>>54616193

Become an idiot like that last guy and start thinking that he's "responsible" for Wayland.
>>
Arch users with Intel GPUs:
Can you install lxpanel and see if you get a "burned in" picture on the taskbar for applications?

>open terminal emulator
>appears normally in the taskbar
>close it
>it stays in the taskbar, but only the image of it; can't click it
>>
>>54616156
>Takes credit for Linus's work.
He never credited himself for creating Linux kernel
>>
>>54616059
Good to know, thanks for correcting me.
>>
>>54616423
THATS FUNNY BECAUSE EVERY SATA DEVICE IN EVERY LINUX SYSTEM I'VE RUN SEEMS TO HAVE SD* FOR THE DEVICE NAME HOW FUCKING INTERESTING!
>>
I've successfully installed arch linux, now what DM and WE should I use? I'm still looking for options and such
>>
>>54616621
Oh shit I fucked up, I mean DE and WM
>>
>>54616107
is slock designed to load on boot or are you expected to login to x from the commandline before activating it?

I basically don't want to type start x but I don't want it to autologin either.
>>
Fedora/CentOS/RHEL expert here. Will be around most of the day since my boss decided to not come to work today and I'm waiting on his feedback for my project.
>>
>>54616798
Subscribed.
>>
>>54616279
I've been out of the loop for a bit, is wayland "production" worthy yet?
>>
>>54616909

Wayland is just a protocol and it's "completed" with version 1.0. Now it's just getting additions.
You want Wayland compositors to use, like GNOME('s) and KDE('s) or standalone ones like Sway. They work, but of course a lot of stuff is missing and you'll most likely have to run things with X using Xwayland.
Download RebeccaBlackOS to test how it runs on your computer (I don't know if Fedora's live session can use a Wayland session).
>>
>>54616610
That's what he said in the second point of his post.

Calm down kid
>>
>>54616798

Hey man you have any clue on this AMD gpu thing. I've been digging around and haven't found anything on Buntu 16 so I'm on botnet 10 right now. Also I'm installing fedora to try it out on a VM
>>
File: pathetic.jpg (98 KB, 763x1022) Image search: [Google]
pathetic.jpg
98 KB, 763x1022
>>54616999
https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=%3Ehmm%2C+maybe+I%27ll+listen+to+the+freetards+for+once+and+give+linux+a+go

For your bait to become more effective you should at least rearrange the order of words a bit
>>
>>54617068
what are you referring to exactly?
>>
File: 1437407286971.png (34 KB, 250x237) Image search: [Google]
1437407286971.png
34 KB, 250x237
>>54617077
>he actually search for it in archives
>>
File: 1447654929167.jpg (30 KB, 357x362) Image search: [Google]
1447654929167.jpg
30 KB, 357x362
>>54617096
Well of course I do, I'm a certifiedâ„¢ member of the Shill Patrol.

If it's shit-skinned and it has an internet access, we keep an eye on it.
>>
File: 1447062168103.png (532 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1447062168103.png
532 KB, 900x900
>>54617135
>says Linux shill
>>
I want to move away from windows server to linux for managing the AD. I'm confused as to what's the OS alternative to it tho. My needs are to just create a domain, users and relative permission. Almost all the other computers in the domain use windows 7-10 (and one XP)
>>
>GNU/linux

Man, I was looking for a thread where I could get help with a modern linux distro instead of plain linux with GNU. Shame. I'll try the ubuntu forums.
>>
>>54616798
a few questions for you:
- is SELinux the future, or can it be disregarded when learning the basics of system administration? It has been around for a while and it doesn't seem to be universally adopted (neither seems AppArmor or whatever)
- for desktop use, do you think rolling release distros are better than Fedora? They are more bleeding edge at least, which is probably what many Fedora users like about the distro
- since I've read a lot of criticism of RPMfusion lately ("it's too slow and a total mess"), where am I supposed to get my screenfetches and mpvs from if not from there? Is compiling fresh from the source The Fedora Way(tm)?
>>
>>54617173
>I'll try the ubuntu forums.
Alpine forums might suit you better friend
>>
>>54617269
I didn't mean GNU free linux, just linux that was a lot more than just GNU and Linux. I want a full OS as defined by people, not a full OS as defined by POSIX. Sadly, this is just a GNU/Linux thread.
>>
File: 1445023041662.jpg (57 KB, 540x531) Image search: [Google]
1445023041662.jpg
57 KB, 540x531
>>54617299
Ah well okay then
>>
>>54616547
Works perfectly on my old laptop. I'm getting some graphical corruption in the menu on my desktop with skylake but not the issue you're describing.
>>
>>54617081
Since the new kernel update, there are no longer AMD GPU drivers that work properly. I've already had X.org go out and that's a pain in the ass so I guess what I'm asking is how is the properitary driver support on say Fedora?
>>
>>54617081
I always install the prop drivers from the manufacturer. I don't like using 3rd party repos for that stuff because then you have no one to complain to upstream if things go wrong.

If it's just an amd incompatibility with the latest xorg issue then the only thing you can do is hold those packages back or revert to the open drivers for the time being.
>>
>>54617359

Which laptop? Mine is a Thinkpad T410, with Intel HD Graphics (Ironlake).
Now I'm kind of worried that my GPU might be dying.
>>
>>54617179
1) SELinux (or a system similar to it) is the future but it should stay out of your way for the most part

2) They both have their pros and cons. In short I prefer the fedora model since major changes can be adopted when the user is ready to upgrade (i.e. at a non-critical time) whereas in a rolling-release none of that is considered. The dnf system upgrade has made upgrades relatively painless.

3) RPMFusion generally has issues for the first 2-3 months following a new release. If you need those packages I would recommend holding off on updating until they stabilize. In general, the problems are overblown due to point 1 (shitty gpu drivers) that most users don't know how to troubleshoot. Building from source in the interim? Sure, why not. I'd just keep the binaries in ~.
>>
Alright lol, had I known it would be a pain in the ass to get the damn AMD drivers i would have just bought a Nividia card. Ill try and figgure it out
>>
Been some +3 long years without using GNU/Linux. I really liked Arch, is it still as good as before?

How is Manjaro for that matter? I don't need cutting edge packages all the time, and the option to make an automated install looks sexy.
>>
>>54617604

Why do posts/questions like this annoy me so much?
>>
>>54617604
Sounds like you want Fedora.
>>
>>54617626
Because these people assume that some random stranger on the internet is going to have a better understanding of what distro will work for them after reading a sentence describing their history with linux versus the person themselves. Read the paradox of choice, it all stems from that.
>>
File: feels.png (27 KB, 620x743) Image search: [Google]
feels.png
27 KB, 620x743
I used to run arch Linux smoothly. Then I randomly wasnt able to access the internet from my room connection (though I encounter no problem from my lab)

As I wasn't able to troubleshoot it, I reinstalled the distro.

After a clean install, I went home only to suffer from the same problem.

I think about switching to Debian but muh pacman and much AUR
>>
>>54617498
Thinkpad X201, also with Ironlake.
>>
>>54617630

I tried it back in the day and really didn't like it. It's just that I can't stand other package manager than Pacman. Guess I'll try Manjaro and if it does not go well, go with Arch instead.

>>54617626
>>54617650

I don't have as much time as back then today to test all distros. I use my computer for work so I can't be bothered with having my shit fucked up every 5 minutes. Yeah, I know, I sound like a boring adult but that's the way it goes.
>>
>>54617682
>I use my computer for work so I can't be bothered with having my shit fucked up every 5 minutes.

>wants to use Manjaro/Arch
>>
I'm newbie. I download hotline miami 2 and I am trying to run it but when I use the start.sh the terminal just flashes on the screen and nothing happens, what do?
>>
File: mRs4HgC.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
mRs4HgC.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>54617669

FUUUUUUUCK
>>
>>54617698

I mean, I know my way around Arch. I used it for 2 years. What I'm saying is that since I left, they made a lot of changes (such as adopting systemd), which I'm really not aware of and I'm uncertain that the distro is still as good as it was then.

If any other rolling release distro has appeared, with a package manager that does not suck (I'm looking at you, apt), I'd love to hear.
>>
>>54617664
>Internet no work
>rage quit
Imagine if every problem was handled this way. Oh no, no toilet paper -> Kill self.
The internet not working is the symptom not the problem. Does DNS work, does ICMP work, can you connect to your modem, can you connect to your ISP? Have you reset your firewall, have you evaluated your routing table?
>>
>>54617822
Little bit ashamed to admit it but I am not familiar with networking.
I have no idea what I'm doing.
>>
Just installed linux mint alongside windows on my laptop, what are some things I should do now?
>>
>>54617792
>rolling release
>use my computer for work

Rolling releases have their place but using one in a work environment is not one of them

also
>I mean, I know my way around Arch. I used it for 2 years. What I'm saying is that since I left, they made a lot of changes

It sounds like you are familiar with pacman, not Arch. If you don't know how to work with systemd you are going to have a hell of a time troubleshooting

Are you really asking for advice?
>>
>>54617531
apt install xserver-xorg-video-ati

yeah that's pain in the ass.
>>
>>54617932
>he didn't wait for 18

shiggy
>>
Is there a terminal emulator with an option to minimize to the system tray?
>>
>>54615884
Compile 1.0.0
>>
>>54616909
Wayland is meme,and almost everything pipes in to x for a functioning desktop
>>
>>54618030

did it because I'm doing CS/Programming (yeah yeah, I've heard it already) and I figured this could only help. Never followed news about linux before so this is all new to me. What is 18? New update?
>>
>>54618084
Linux Mint 18 is 16.04 LTS with Cinnamon 3.0. Basically all the latest goodies.

I'd recommend installing Ubuntu + Cinnamon in the meantime or Fedora Cinnamon (you are a programmer, right?). Kubuntu is pretty nice too if you have the hardware.
>>
>>54617999

I started asking if Arch was as good as it was +3 years ago. It's not that I can't troubleshoot most common issues, but it sounds like I really should get my feet wet on systemd.

That's why I said I may try Manjaro instead, to start all over again from it and then maybe switching to Arch.

And sorry but back in the day, pacman=Arch. It may not be like it anymore, but it was.
>>
>>54616041
You probably had problems when your hardware was still fresh on the market. If you use a recent kernel your problems are probably gone.
>>
>>54617925
use the fuck wiki dumb fuck
>>
>>54618148

I'll look into Fedora Cinnamon, what does it offer compared to Linux Mint? Is it more customizable? I'm mainly a C++ programmer so I'm not worried about difficulty
>>
>>54618250

>Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
>being this unfriendly

what's up /b/?
>>
>>54618263
It's a bit more bleeding edge but tracks RHEL so you are getting familiar with a distro that is actually used in corporate environments for your future job prospects
>>
>>54617669
>>54617498
>>54617359

Quick question: are you using a compositor like Compton? I tried it with Compton and it's working normally.
If you are using a composited desktop, can you turn it off to test it quickly?
>>
>>54618320

Awesome, I'll get out my boot drive. Thanks
>>
>>54618040

What's the point of that? What you want might be achievable in a different way.
>>
>>54617529
thanks for the answers
>>54617932
you should know that you can set GRUB timeout to 2 seconds or less, so that booting into Mint happens faster and you have no time to consider booting Windows again :)
>>
File: uh2DoyW3pRk.jpg (71 KB, 604x555) Image search: [Google]
uh2DoyW3pRk.jpg
71 KB, 604x555
Hey guys, I've been using gnu-linux for 3 years now and basically I'm looking for books to read that talk about building operating systems from the ground up.

Any ideas?
>>
>>54618341
Nothing of the sort, I normally use a simple openbox + fbpanel combination on my laptop.
>>
>>54618547

You'll quit 3 pages into such a book.
Building an operating system isn't installing already created software and "ricing" it with anime wallpapers.
>>
>>54618590
No I'm fully aware, I'm talking about binary, assembly, CPU architecture, scheduling, events, threads, instructions, interrupts, how to write a kernel, etc
>>
I'm toying around with the idea of buying a server rack and using it as a host for my main os, and forwarding everything over X, turning all my computers into thin clients.
Apart from having to have your computers connected to the internet at all times for access, which are some major cons to this?
>>
>>54619213
Everything becomes slow as shit m8.
>>
File: 1463527269251.jpg (44 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1463527269251.jpg
44 KB, 600x450
What's the status of AI for linux? How close are we to a personal assistant + chatbot that can resemble a waifu? There's alice and sirius, but I haven't gotten around to messing with them yet.
>>
>>54619213
>2u servers are loud as fuck
>its better to run a fiber link for USB3 and displayport than use remote software, unless you've got 10gbit network links
>>
>>54620046
mycroft is FOSS so that could be used.
>>
>>54620046
benny on my /g/?
>>
>Install Debian testing alpha 5
>Failed at 'Select and Install Software'

Welp..
>>
>>54620938
>install debian testing alpha 5
there's your problem. the testing installer is only a beta for the installer, install stable and upgrade to testing from there. i just installed unstable on my new ssd, there's a few bugs currently so you probably need to resolve a few dependencies. it does work though.
>>
>>54615743
Who is dead?
Who is gone?
>>
So, I have Ubuntu 16.04, with two monitors:
-Main monitor 1440p@120Hz
-Secondary Monitor 1080p@60Hz

Both connected to the same GPU, the problem that I have is that whenever I play a video file in the main monitor I get a lot of video desynchronisation. I've tried several video players (vlc, mpv...) and the y all desync.

What could be the cause of this? The only clue so far I have it's mpv saying that the "detected" framerate is 60Hz instead of the 120Hz specified in xorg.conf (and validated within the monitor own menu).

>xorg.conf
http://pastebin.com/583weFYc
>>
>>54621110
It's what RMS said about Steve Jobs after he died.
>>
So I want to have a Windows guest with GPU pass through on Ubuntu 16.04. is it anywhere near as seamless as something like virtualbox where the guest can just run in a window, or do I need to boot into something special?
>>
>somehow manage to install #!++
>prompt for username and password
>every time I try one from Google it beeps louder than my car
Any idea what it could be? I didn't set any up during installation
>>
File: 13080924382.jpg (22 KB, 511x523) Image search: [Google]
13080924382.jpg
22 KB, 511x523
I fucking can't dualboot this goddamn Ubuntu 16 on my new laptop with preinstalled Wangblows.
I just want to have Lunix installed on my secondary hard drive (put in the former DVD slot) and Windows on my primary drive, but the cursed bootloader fucks with me and I can't even boot into Ubuntu, even after using boot-repair, shit. It sometimes doesn't even boot to Windows on the first try and just restarts.
I had dual-boot for years, but the current setup is making something go wrong.

If you liked my blog - rate and subscribe, thanks.
>>
File: distfiles.png (4 KB, 548x22) Image search: [Google]
distfiles.png
4 KB, 548x22
Don't forget to clean portage, /flt/!
>>
>>54621285
Don't you need KVM and qemi and a vt-d CPU and a separate monitor or something

Also
>Smooth
>Anything Linux and drivers and virtualization
>>
For some reason I get permission denied when trying to write to my ntfs drive even though I have write permissions (even as root)
>>
>>54621295
>what is passwd
>>
>>54621358
most monitors have several inputs
>>
>>54621384
is it mounted as read only?
>>
>>54621358
>>54621285
He'd be able to do something a bit tricky with KVM and a single monitor. Using one VGA and one DVI would enable you to switch any monitor worth its salt between the two inputs - you'd however need two outputs which is where the hard part comes from. Either you setup your BIOS to use multi monitor with both your iGPU and your graphics card, and then do the regular PCI stub to block the GPU output initially, or you'd use two graphics cards.
>>
>>54621358
VT-d has been around since the days of Pentium 4, so it's not really a new thing.
>>
>>54621384
Do you have write support in your kernel?
>>
>>54621385
Yes. What is passwd?
>>
>>54621420
>VGA
Not him, but my monitor has twp DVI inputs, two DisplayPort inputs, one mini-DisplayPort input and even a USB 3.0 input (yes input).

I don't know what ancient/cheap monitors this board is using, but multi-input monitors isn't really an issue anymore.
>>
>>54621384
You're mounting it read only. Make sure your kernel has fuse support enabled and whatnot, install ntfs3g and mount the drive with "sudo ntfs-3g /dev/sdxY /xyz". ntfs3g can be a seperate package, otherwise it often comes with ntfsprogs
>>
>>54621458
it's how you reset passwords on linux

man passwd
>>
>>54621462
cool dude, you can do that then
>>
>>54621401
Nope, Im using
uid=user1,gid=users,dmask=022,fmask=133
in my fstab
>>54621432
Yes, it worked on this drive before and still works on other drives
>>
New to all and every aspect of GNU/Linux. So i heard this is the shit you use when it comes to Security? If so is it worth picking up, im studying Computer Sience for 2,5 years now only working with Java, C#, Swift and shit like that, but i wanna get into Security.

What steps do i take now senpaitachi?
>>
>>54621758
Wtf how did "f a m" turn into "senpaitachi"?
>>
>>54621758
https://wiki.debian.org/Hardening
>computer science for 2.5 years
>new to all and every aspect of GNU/Linux
have fun.
>>
>>54621817
i'm not surprised.

a lot of the shitters in cs are using macshit
>>
>>54621817

Thanks but what do i do with all this, really gonna need some spoonfeeding here.

Also im confused about your greentexting, are you implying that im gonna have a hard time with all of this?

As i stated above, i wanna get into security, but dont wanna become a script kid...
>>
>>54622015
wait, do you want to get into pentesting or into securing your shit so that skids can't fuck with it?
>>
>>54621817

Thanks mate, but im still not sure what to do with that link, so could you please spoonfeed me a bit?

Also why the greentext? Are you implying that im gonna have a hard time with this?

I wanna get into this so i was thinking this thread would be the right place to ask.
>>
>>54622049

Pentesting is what I have in mind right now, but having trouble finding a way to start learning without becoming a script kid...
>>
>>54622056
Oh i did it twice i see... Really great shit....Jesus am i gonna get fucked for this...
>>
What are the benefits of using xubuntu over lubuntu?
>>
>>54622167
a different desktop environment?
>>
File: 480px-Mozilla_Thunderbird_logo.png (185 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
480px-Mozilla_Thunderbird_logo.png
185 KB, 480x480
I'm accessing my Gmail accounts using Thunderbird. The problem is, Thunderbird loads the "important" e-mail folder of Gmail, but I don't fucking use this feature on Gmail, so I would really like to remove this folder from my Thunderbird. How to do this?
>>
>>54622167
xubuntu is made for xfce

lubuntu is made for ldxe

one will have a slightly different base package install from the other. They're both ubuntu to the core.
>>
>>54622096
well, you start by reading a few books, there is a lot about this in the gentooman library about it and the man/info pages for the tools used in things like kali and blackarch will help you. if you have your own networks and computers/servers you can stay legal, which differentiates you from skids.
>>
>install Ubuntu Gnome
>tearing in the second screen

Are there any way to fix this shit, without fglrx?

I have 390x btw
>>
>>54622272
even on wayland?
>>
>>54622199
"unsubscribe"
>>
>>54622217
From what I understand, they're both light-weight and pretty fast, but lubuntu is slightly lighter. What kind of features would I lose out if I used lubuntu over xubuntu?

Do I lose out on a few more customization features? and more stability (i've read that xfce is more stable than ldxe is)
>>
>>54622348
LXDE is a lot lighter than Xfce yes. I believe LXDE uses openbox as its window manager, while Xfce uses xfwm, arguably you'd get more customization out of LXDE due to that.

Honestly though you could literally just install LXDE on _any_ distro at all, including xubuntu, and try it out to see if you like it. The separate distros are only there for newer users to have more of a final choice over their DE, most users familiar with Linux will pick a different distro and install their DE accordingly.
>>
>>54622322
Not just stop syncing, I want to erase this folder of my Thunderbird interface!
>>
>>54622392

>LXDE is a lot lighter than Xfce yes
[citation needed]
>>
File: blaze_it.png (313 KB, 483x631) Image search: [Google]
blaze_it.png
313 KB, 483x631
>>54622015
>dont wanna become a script kid...
>pentesting
You realize that pentesters supply skidz with the tools they need for their skiddy michief,right? Pentesters are nothing more than skidz themselves.
>>
>>54622251
Wont tools like that not just make me a script kid?
>>
>>54622500
pentesters write the scripts, script kiddies download the sripts, then other pentesters make sure that script kiddies downloading scripts won't use the scripts against their system by downloading said scripts and testing them

what a cycle
>>
>>54622521
Job security.Pun intended.
>>
>>54622507
not really. people that do pentesting as a job use the same. there's nothing wrong with knowing how to use nmap.
>>
File: at-sign-1083508_640.png (94 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
at-sign-1083508_640.png
94 KB, 640x640
I'm really angry by this situation:
>open Thunderbird
>go to "all e-mails" on my Gmail account
>select all messages of 2009
>click "archive", so they can be downloaded and deleted from Gmail
>they are downloaded, but not deleted
>all e-mails are still in this folder
I tried this many times, but it simply doesn't works like with all other folders! What am I doing wrong???
>>
>>54622521
>>54622563

But using the tools that lets say Kali provide, wont teach you anything about whats going on other than what the UI is showing?

I understand that inventing the wheel again is dumb, but is Kali and Blackarch not the Script Kid-Hive?
>>
>>54622167
The DE and that's it
>>
>>54622477
LXDE uses different base packages than XFCE for DM (lxdm vs gdm), file manager, etc. The main difference here is window manager, openbox, blackbox, 2bwm, and a few others are some of the most lightweight you can possibly get, openbox standalone will run at a base ~7mb usage of memory which is lower than xfwm and a heck of a lot of other DEs, like KDE as well.

Not trying to shit on xfce or anything, it's my preferred DE, but its base installation does come a bit heavier than LXDE if you're really strained for memory. Realistically if you care for size at all you should be using a barebones WM.
>>
>>54622660

> than XFCE for DM (lxdm vs gdm)
Xubuntu is using LightDM with the GTK greeter. There's no practical difference in terms of requirements and "heaviness" between LightDM and LXDM.

The same applies for Openbox and Xfwm4 (once you turn off the compositing effects) in terms of CPU usage. RAM usage is irrelvant here; unusued RAM is wasted RAM. Even if it is, the difference between a "barebones" Openbox and Xfwm setup must be minimal and won't give you any substantial performance boost.

We're not talking about Xubuntu and Lubuntu, with their different setups of software running in the background. We're talking about stock LXDE and Xfce as mentioned here in the first sentence >>54622392.
>>
>>54622729
Well yeah that's literally what I was saying. LXDE stock's base packages are lighter than XFCE's and there is most certainly a difference between usage in CPU and RAM between the two WMs running either within the DE or not. But, if you cared to read my last sentence, it doesn't matter because if you are strained for that small amount of memory it's unlikely you'd be running a DE or even a GUI at all.
>>
Does LUKS support creating a key that consists of both a keyfile and a typed password?
>>
File: 1447705008323.jpg (74 KB, 611x482) Image search: [Google]
1447705008323.jpg
74 KB, 611x482
>>54622821
encrypt your keyfile via gpg with the passphrase you want
>>
>>54622868
I meant for full-system encryption.
>>
>>54622897
https://www.masarlabs.com/article/two-factor-luks-decription/
>>
Is it just me or XFCE has terrible font rendering

had to install Cinnamon
>>
>>54622983
Debian?
>>
>>54622946
This isn't full-system. It's basically the same thing as the >>54622868 suggested.

I need the kernel during boot to ask me for my password and combine that with some keyfile.
>>
>>54623001
buntu derivate
>>
>>54623024
THen it isn't possible
>>
Finally got #!++ working, but the resolution is too damn high (3840x2160). I tried using xrandr to change it, but it has a minimum set at that same level. How can I set it to 1920x1080?
Yes, I am an absolute beginner. I have been searching Google for about a half hour about this now.
>>
>>54622983
https://wiki.debian.org/Fonts#Subpixel-hinting_and_Font-smoothing
>>
>>54623024
that would be kinda cool.
>>
>>54623024
For what purpose do you need this?
>>
>>54623091
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI
https://wiki.debian.org/MonitorDPI
don't fuck up your resolution if you can have glorious scaling instead.
>>
Good sources for qevm and vga passthrough?
new to debian jessie but not to linux.
>>
>>54623177
Password makes sure only I can decrypt the system. Keyfile on an SD card that can easily be broken to render system completely undecryptable.

>inb4 what are you hiding
nothing, but security gives me major boners. quite literally.
>>
>>54623399
you could have /boot on that sd card, wouldn't work without it
>>
>>54623399
>Keyfile on an SD card that can easily brake and render the system completely undecryptable when you don't want it

I don't think this is a good idea.
>>
>>54623446
This is dumb.

>>54623466
It's not the best idea ever, but it's pretty cool. Always wanted a system kill switch.
>>
>>54623510
A switch that can activate without you wanting it to is never a good idea.
>>
KDE Plasma is driving me crazy. When I'm connected to wifi I can only load a few websites, and the majority will have some sort of connection problem or another. Or I will randomly not be able to connect to my wifi.
I want to like Plasma, I really do, but why is it so hard? The same distro (Fedora) works perfectly with Gnome.
Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? All the usual suspects are ok, no ip6 bugs anywhere, dns settings are fine.. aaargh!
>>
>>54623589
Come on dude, there are always backups of everything.
>>
>>54622983

Your desktop environment has nothing to do with font rendering.
Fontconfig does.
>>
how do I make magnet links open in qbittorrent instead of ktorrent? Using Kubuntu
>>
>>54623615
Then it's not a kill-switch
>>
>>54623641
You're a very boring autist. I just wanna have fun.
>>
>>54617162
I've been trying this the last few days. Couldn't get Samba 4 installed and a domain provisioned on Ubuntu (should be possible, but I haven't figured it out), but managed on Centos 7. Successfully been able to manage Win 10 VMs using it as a PDC. I used the following as a guide: https://thingsdomakesense.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/installing-samba-4-4-2-ad-dc-on-centos-7-1511-2/

For bonus points, I believe you can build a Samba DC, join it to your domain and then gradually demote the Windows stuff as and when.

In terms of domain management, you can do it using command-line Samba, but RSAT tools on a Windows OS is much easier.

Apologies if I've misunderstood you.
>>
File: ubuntu 16.04.png (94 KB, 1192x504) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu 16.04.png
94 KB, 1192x504
>boot ubuntu 16.04 in VBox
>pic related
What do?
>>
File: vaporwave4.jpg (35 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
vaporwave4.jpg
35 KB, 240x240
>>54623696
listen to some vaporwave
>>
>>54623677
That's exactly what I was looking for. So with RSAT I can change GPOs and they're saved even after a service restart right? SMB is a whole new world to me, but if RSAT makes it as easy as being on a traditional WServer, then it's perfect. I was already sick modifying rdif files to configure users and shit, and having to look up manually the GPOs and typing them out.
>>
>>54623729
Already listening to eurodance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMg73N8DgqM
>>
Can someone help me find out why my mouse suddenly stopped working? The mouse is a Corsair Scimitar (I know, gaymer shit) and I'm running Debian testing with Cinnamon
>>
>>54623823
are you sure it's a software problem?
>>
>>54623815
good shite
>>
>>54623860
The mouse works when I boot back into windows
>>
>>54623871
did you modprobe something you shouldn't?
read the manual for it.
>>
>>54623791
Yeah, it's been working pretty well for me, but I've only done some preliminary testing (looking to run a domain at home and don't wanna buy WinServer). Samba 4 and above supports AD domains (3 and below were NT4 only). My test domain is at 2008(maybe r2) level, not certain whether Samba can go above that (just followed the guide as I'm only learning at this stage).

From my Windows client, ADUC, Group Policy, DNS management (this was a nice surprise) and so on have all worked as normal (Server Manager doesn't though, as it's a Linux OS). I've had a few error messages clicking about the MMCs but nothing has failed and it seems to be working ok. As far as I can tell, (if correctly configured) Samba works just like a normal DC, storing data as a Windows DC would.

The Samba wiki has more, but Samba 4 is still fairly new so there are more features to come, and the documentation could be improved.

I'd say open up a VM and play with it, your mileage may vary, and I obviously don't know your environment.
>>
File: vmware ubuntu.png (326 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
vmware ubuntu.png
326 KB, 1680x1050
>>54623696
Vmware seems to werk.
>>
>>54623893
I don't know where the manual is, but I've done nothing but plug it in and use it.

It was working fine a while ago, then I changed the sources.list to use testing and use 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade'. The mouse stopped working after I rebooted. Is that maybe why it won't work? Did I mess something up?
>>
>>54624008
Welp, nevermind. I kept restarting and after the fourth one it started working
>>
is there a faster way to install windows 7 in virtualbox other than doing the normal massive install with 5 years of updates and finding drivers again.
>>
do people really dualboot OS X with a linux distro in their macbooks ?
>>
>>54624123
recently memesoft released a cumulative rollout for windows 7 that includes all the patches and updates since 2011

there was a thread about it on g, maybe it's still up, check the catalog
>>
File: 1451324972941.png (107 KB, 283x375) Image search: [Google]
1451324972941.png
107 KB, 283x375
I have Ubuntu MATE and i want to look into virtual machines, what is good software for that?
>>
>>54624162
>wanting telemetry
>>54624123
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858
>>
File: virt-manager_hardware.png (123 KB, 660x541) Image search: [Google]
virt-manager_hardware.png
123 KB, 660x541
>>54624219
livrtd with virt-manager
>>
>>54624219
>>54624314
libvirt*
>>
>>54624314
but muh 3d acceleration
>>
>>54624138
Probably some do. Personally, I just run VirtualBox on OSX and put all my Linux systems in there, either using GUI or ssh in OSX terminal.

Dualbooting on a Mac is a huge ballache if you want to run with full disk encryption and not screw up your bootloaders, so VMs for me.
>>
>>54624378
>in a fucking VM
kys
>>
>>54624123
Install once. Clone VM, clone VHD or take a snapshot.

Next time you want a fresh Win7, just use a copy of the fresh one. (Poor man's imaging system).
>>
>>54622821
You have multiple key slots per encryption
You can have a keyfile and a password on the same drive
>>
>>54623466
>not backing up your headers and keyfiles
>>
>>54624425
>not having 10 VMs to bot your accounts each with a separate vpn
lol
>>
>>54623510
luks has a nukekeyslots.
Make that command not need root password auth in sudoers and you have a handy one button kill switch
>>
>>54623641
Having the keyfile and headers in a secure offsite location that is under a different name in another city.
>>
So if I want to use Trisquel is it impossible to get my intel wifi drivers working?
>>
>>54624518
Intel drivers are not "free".
>>
>>54624730
Yeah I have to use this Rosewill wifi adapter using the Atheros AR9271 chipset.

How autistic.
>>
>>54624751
OR dont use bullshit distros that limit your freedom of your system
>>
>>54624779
I prefer to use software that respects my freedom.
>>
>>54624791
So you want to use software that "respects MUH freedums" but at the same time,you ar restricted from using a long list of software because it isnt' STALLMUN FEESESSSSSS"?
Quite hypocritical isnt it?
>>
>>54624826
Not hypocritical at all.
>>
>>54624840
You want freedom,but you abide by a list of software a shitty low life whore created that says you cant use it?

Are you this retarded?
>>
>>54624868
The only retard here is you when you don't even know what the word 'freedom' means in this context. You shouldn't talk on things you know nothing about.
>>
>>54624868
just kill yourself
>>
>>54624868
>>>/Reddit/
>>>/windows/
>>>/r/cuckold
>>
>>54624896
>>54624906
>>54624921

freedom as in license, your "libre"
Being limited on what software you can install, is not free at all.Hypocrites
>>
>>54624943
You are very confused.
>>
>>54615853

Not possible. See this bug report:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=646409

There's (multiple) patches there but none were ever merged.
>>
>>54624949
You're deluded by stallman
>>
>>54624966
Nah, enlightened. Enjoy getting cucked by your Jewish overlords.
>>
>>54615853
>>54624959
You can do it with keyboard shortcuts

http://askubuntu.com/questions/9576/keyboard-short-cut-to-switch-to-a-specific-workspace-using-ctrl-1-8-on-numeric
>>
>>54624943

*Choosing* to limit yourself *is* exercising your freedom.
>>
anyone know any good linux alternatives to google earth that have gps abilities? I've tried marble but all it does is take up literally all my ram and crash a lot
>>
>>54625014

1) That post is 5-year-old, and I'm pretty sure that person is not using gnome-shell at all
2) The OP wants to drag and drop workspaces to reorder them in the overview, like you can do with windows.
>>
Is there anything more comfy than having multiple workspaces in GNOME while working and then switching to another while on breaks?

It's just so great

I think I found my shit here guys. Debian Sid w/GNOME is my one true love. No more hopping for me, time to settle down
>>
How do you organize your dot files?

At first I thought moving them all in one folder and symlinking to their original position, creating a git repo would be fine but it's not. There are a lot of dot files I don't want tracked. Mostly a selection of files like history, bookmarks, logs and so on.

I guess the only option is manually moving and symlinking.
>>
>>54625644
What version of GNOME is Sid currently shipping?
>>
I have a weird problem. Only one program at a time can play audio. For example, surf with youtube open atm, but then open cmus and try to play and it says "audio device is busy".

Anyone experience something like this before?

it's a usb dac using alsa
>>
>>54625896
3.20.2 on both Stretch and Sid
>>
Was gonna get a banana pi to make a seed box, should I load it with arch or raspian
>>
>>54625918
dmix
>>
>>54625763
why not just two directories, tracked and untracked?
>>
>>54625918
alsa only allows one stream at one time

you need a mixer like pulse or dmix
>>
So to enable the testing repo you edit sources.list and add 'testing' after each deb and deb-src line?
>>
>>54626163
yes, but you need to replace the existing repo designation (i.e. jessie, stable)
>>
Any ideas on how to fix screen tearing with a GTX 770, it seems like nothing I do can completely eliminate it and its becoming really annoying when watching videos.
>>
>>54626201
use nvidia drivers
disable compositing
>>
Hello friendly anons

I recently decided to go full autist and use GNU IceCat, at least for a bit. To "install" it I downloaded the appropriate tar.gz, unpacked it, verified it worked okay, then moved the whole icecat directory to /usr/local, and added it to $PATH via
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/icecat

followed by source .bashrc as usual
However, icecat does not show up on the dmenu list, even though
which icecat

gives the correct location, and I can open icecat by typing icecat in the terminal. Does anyone have any ideas? The arch wiki just said that dmenu would look in $PATH but that doesn't seem to have worked - even though other directories added to my $PATH are included properly...
>>
>>54626242
>disable compositing
that makes it worse
>>
>>54626256
Did you actually do it,or are you just eating the fud spread around?

Historically compositing has been the culprit for tearing.

>running 2x 480 fermis
>running 1 750ti

Both gens work perfectly fine
>>
>>54626289
it causes tearing with my DE, yes. With compositing off windows tear when I move them around.
>>
Just installed Fedora 23 with KDE, still have a couple of problems
>Steam won't open and gives these errors when trying to run from terminal
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

>YouTube only loads in HD if using Flash
At first, videos were loading in HTML5, but would only go up to 360p. Installing Flash fixed this, but now videos will only play in Flash, even if I enable HTML5 or try to use extensions to force it to use HTML5.
>>
>>54626361
The error is clearly telling you,that you lack a driver.
>>
How do you change the resolution of a tty without installing an xserver?
I'm guessing it's some kind of grub configuration to boot into a different res
>>
>>54626938
Pretty sure it's:

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1280x800

or whatever on the kernel command line
>>
>>54626980
Ty
>>
>>54621160
Anyone?
I just want possible causes of this
>>
I'm using ubuntu 16.04 with the proprietary nvidia drivers. Why does my desktop not shut down completely? I have to hold the power button down after I select shut down. How do I fix this?
>>
>>54626361
The youtube thing can be fixed
http://www.linuxveda.com/2015/06/29/get-1080p-youtubes-html5-player-firefox-linux/
>>
>>54627601
thx m8
>>
I installed Debian. There were a few problems I had that got fixed in newer versions of various packages, so I switched from stable to testing. Things have been working pretty well so far.

but now I'm wondering - how often do I need to update? and how do I know when it's advisable (whether or not its required) to reboot after updating?
>>
>>54627792
Update weekly
Reboot when you update your kernel or libc
>>
>>54627534
Your cause is using a GNU/Linux operating system
>>
>>54627855
Thanks pajeet
>>
So /flt/ I just installed Debian, now what should I do?
>>
>>54627941
use it
>>
>>54627941
Uninstall
>>
>>54618884
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/43180/what-are-some-resources-for-getting-started-in-operating-system-development

This should help you man, next time do a quick Google or duckduckgo search buddy. Happy Hacking!
>>
I'm using my motherboard and iGPU as one primary monitor, and my graphics card as another for testing purposes.

I want to have x11 use both, right now I have x setup to use the intel driver but I also have nvidia drivers and xorg-drivers compiled with nvidia support. xrandr only shows the iGPU screen, is it possible to start x using both nvidia and intel at the same time?
>>
>>54627952
What software is recommended?
>>
>>54627941
Why did you install it if you don't know what to do with it?

>I just bought a car but I don't know how to drive
>>
>>54628012
What do you need? Software you need is going to be very different to what I need.
>>
>>54628017
Chill bro, I am just getting recommendations, I know how to use it.
>>
>>54628012
The software you need to run your computer.
>>
>>54627941
Purge gnome.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.