[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Face it. He's a try-hard. He calls himself Dr. Stallman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: image.jpg (611 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
611 KB, 2592x1936
Face it. He's a try-hard. He calls himself Dr. Stallman despite only having honorary degrees. That would be like Kanye West calling himself Dr Kanye West. But he doesn't because even he knows that's pretentious.

If Kanye West is less pretentious than you, you're doing something wrong.

Stallman is a gargantuan faggot who calls himself a 'doctor' without having gained a PhD, destroys any credibility he has by acting like an ass "I'm not glad he's dead but I'm glad he's gone" and his only real claim to fame is contributing to the creation of Linux.

Without Linus and Linux the GPL and FSF would have faded into obscurity. They only reason anyone pays them any heed now is because of the (negligible) help it gave Linus back in the early days of Linux.

If anything the FSF should rename itself Linux/FSF, simply because the Linux project and Linus are the only reason anyone would pay them any attention now.

Stallman's work is just a footnote in the history of Linus's achievements. He should be grateful for that, otherwise he would be nothing.

Demanding people call Linux GNU/Linux is audacious.
>>
File: 640_richard-stallman.jpg (24 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
640_richard-stallman.jpg
24 KB, 640x426
tl;dr let's move on to move important questions.

Is Stallman a hamster?
>>
>>54609712
4 u maybe
>>
>>54609686
To be fair his work on emacs, gcc, coreutils, and the gpl has had a much greater impact on the field of computing than the vast majority of "real degree" PhD doctors.

If they didn't want him to call himself Dr, they shouldn't have given him the degree. He has the degree, so he has the degree. Simple as that.
>>
>>54609686
Why are you copying and pasting from the other thread? Fucking end your life
>>
>>54609735

>simple as that

No, no it's not. Torvalds has honorary doctorates, Stallman has never referred to him as 'Doctor Torvalds', yet he refers to himself with the same honorific.

>if they don't want him to call himself doctor they shouldn't have given him the degree

Not how it works, it's not what the institutions want to call him, it's just widely known that it's bad form to call yourself a doctor if you only have honorary degrees. For example no one would call J.K Rowling Doctor Rowling, despite her ground breaking research into documenting Wizards.

He's a pretentious ass. Remove him from the sticky. Put Linus or Terry there instead.
>>
I wonder what keeps him going. He could just leave the human species to its largely inevitable fate.

People are dumb, they cannot meaningfully change in their present context. We're living in an era of enforced degeneracy.
>>
>>54609803
If Linus wanted to be callled Dr. Torvalds, then I'm sure Stallman would call him that. Stallman not calling him Dr is just respecting Linus's wishes.
>>
Watched a live talk by him last year and he really came across as a paranoid creep. Kept cutting people with questions short when he couldnt answer them even when he opened up for questions, presenting a skewed image of the subject, preaching to his fanboy choir, getting hung up on terminology and while mocking other peoples terms ('amazon swindle').
I agree that he has some points, but he really needs a pr person that can do public talks and be the face of his cause.
>>
>>54609846

>I'm sure Stallmam would call him that

No he wouldn't, he's always trying to pry himself into Linus's achievements. He constantly over-states how important he is while belittling others.

Doesn't matter anyway. Despite having changed the face of technology more, Linus knows that it's very bad form to call yourself a 'Doctor' without gaining a PhD. It just looks desperate.

However going back to that fat Jew, would he refer to Kanye as Doctor West too?

And if he did, do you think he would deserve to be called Doctor?

Or is this just some social justice bullshit 'I identify as a Doctor so don't oppress me shitlord'?
>>
>>54609908
You deserve to be called doctor if you have a doctoral degree. IF you don't think he should be called doctor, take it up with the school who gave him the degree, not the man himself.
>>
>>54609941

You don't deserve to be called a doctor if you have an 'Honorary Doctorate', it's an entirely political move universities do for their own reasons, sometimes charging a fee.

Kanye doesn't 'deserve' to be called Doctor West. Steve Job's has honorary degrees, does he deserve to be called 'Doctor' Jobs?

Stall man calling himself a doctor shows exactly how much of a fat, bitter fraud he really is.
>>
k.
>>
>>54609803
>it is a pol finding out about rms episode
>>
where has he called himself a doctor anyway?
>>
>>54609976
An Honorary Doctorate is still a Doctorate.

Actually finding out about this just gives me more respect for him. If an honorary doctorate is a degree you're supposed to accept without using, then he's totally subverting the system by using it to advantage. Kindof calling out the whole concept of honorary degrees (and infact even regular degrees in the first place). Classic Stallman, he's always thinking two moves ahead.
>>
File: image.png (33 KB, 885x717) Image search: [Google]
image.png
33 KB, 885x717
>>54610004

His email signature for one.

Completely unnecessary (and untrue) and yet on there for attention.
>>
>>54609902
>Paranoid
Not in any talk I've ever seen. His model of how the world works is realistic and relatively accurate.

>creep
Probably. I didn't really think about it much until recently, it's very possible he has something worth hiding. For the sake of his movement or himself, though it's difficult to see through to someone's core without interacting with them directly.

He's heard it all and is sick of people to the point where he's unwilling to play along and manipulate their own train of thought. He also seems a bit weak on the whole theory of mind deal, to begin with. Humans are machines, but you can't force your own definitions, semantics, and redefinitions on them and expect it to stick fluidly. When explaining he also skips a lot of relevant aspects that people require to see the bigger picture, and so they reject the message when it doesn't initially appeal to their underlying affinity, and they remain in their myopia.

i also used to think he was a bit too extreme and almost ridiculous, but he really isn't. His logical framework is fully valid, but unfortunately idealistic. As you said, there is a likely intentional skew.

They need someone who is equally as devoted, as intelligent, but not mired in their first hand history. Gotta be willing and able to manipulate people and speak their language just enough that they begin to understand yours.
>>
who gave doctor evil the doctor title?
>>
>>54610065
he went to evil medical school
>>
>>54609686
I just think his personality and personal appearance does more damage to the Linux community than anything else.

If he at least took care of himself, the public would pay more attention. You can cry about how that is not important but unfortunately it just is.
>>
>>54610063
I agree, but in the end i think his cause is suffering for it
>>
>>54610041

>proud of a fat Jew attempting to decieve people by claiming he's a real doctor

Calling yourself a Doctor when you only have an honorary degree is fraud.
Doctor isn't an honorary title; it's an earned title; it's a degree. It is commonly used with three degrees: Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Osteopathy and Doctor of Philosophy (MD, DO, and PhD, respectively). Some clergy earn a Doctor of Divinity, but in usage they're usually called "Reverend". Some lawyers earn a Juris Doctor (JD), but I've never heard one of them use "Doctor" as a title.

In all cases, these are degrees earned at accredited universities (colleges don't award graduate degrees by definition. So, formally, taking the title of "Doctor" has nothing to do with life-experience, advance in a field or otherwise. Sure, some people do this or get a "doctorate" from less than reputable sources (think from a cereal box advertisement). However, that's not legit and in theses days of ubiquitous information a recipe for disaster. Just looked at what happened lately to CEOs that just buff-up their degrees, much less fake them.

tl;dr Stallman is a fraud
>>
>>54609686
>That would be like Kanye West calling himself Dr Kanye West.
Please do not give Kanye any ideas
>>
>>54610088
I don't know. I lean more towards agreeing, but it's difficult to evaluate. Quite a wide spectrum.
>>
Remove him from the sticky.

Put Terry or Linus there instead.
>>
>>54610102

It's a good point thought, Kanye West is measurably less pretentious than Stallman simply by virtue of not calling himself a 'doctor'.

I genuinely don't know of a single person with an honorary degree who calls them self doctor. Stallman is the only one.

How pathetic.
>>
>>54610123
Terry needs to be there
>>
>>54610123
'No'

Fuck off tourist.
>>
File: 1461868363756.jpg (44 KB, 264x282) Image search: [Google]
1461868363756.jpg
44 KB, 264x282
Oh look, it's the anti-stallman again.

Let's review:

Undergrad degree in physics from Harvard, doctoral student at MIT for a year afterwards. Published a paper about AI who's concepts are still in use today, among other papers he also published.

Wrote emacs, gcc, gdb and created the General Public License (GPL), popularizing if not creating the concept of copyleft. Founded the Free Software Foundation (FSF) and created the GNU project to produce a free (as in freedom) operating system that wouldn't restrict users.

For these efforts and others, he's received 15 honorary doctorates from universities around the world.

I can understand disliking that someone would use the "Dr" title with only an honorary doctorate, but your autism is taking this to the next level. You made the same post (thread maybe?) this time last night about the exact same thing; Kanye analogy and all. Many of your responses and accusations are also the same as yesterday (same terminology and quantity of samefagging to boot). (I'll use the same image as yesterday then too)

So, what's going on? Is this an organized (paid) character assassination attempt, memes gone too far, or autism in an extreme.

In any case, his contributions to the computing world are both numerous and valuable.

>>54610004
Email signatures.
>>
>>54610098
Just like the GPL was the ultimate hack of the copyright legal system, his Dr title is a hack of the education system. Don't forget it's the universities pushing these honorary degrees out so they can get prestige from associating with him, leeching off RMS's fame. Well, looks like ol' Stallman pulled a fast one and is getting something of his own right back. The university hsouldn't give out degrees if they don't enforce and treat them like other degress.

Like I said, classic stallman, and I fully support his subversive use of the Dr title
>>
>>54610141
>measurably
This I want to hear.
>>
>>54610160

He's a fraud and needs to be removed from the sticky. Maybe we could put Doctor Jobs there instead.
>>
>>54610165

He's certainly done a lot of things.

Is one of those things gain a PhD? Oh wait, it's not?!

Well then he's not a Doctor is he then.

>is this an organised (paid) character assassination attempt

;^)
>>
>>54610165

The FSF is irrelevant and Stallman will only be remembered as someone who helped Linus great Linux.

Freetard delusion is hilarious.
>>
>>54610165
Not the OP, but Stallman is not a fucking doctor.

He is a mister. He's a fucking nobody. I don't give a shit what he made or how he did it. Oh wow, he went to MIT for graduate school for a year and then dropped out. You know what that makes him? It doesn't make him some cool guy, it makes him a fucking pussy-ass vagina bitch. He probably left because his grades were so fucking bad. His fucking landwhale-looking ass probably had so much cholesterol clogging his fucking arteries that he became atherosclerotic, and his brain died out in the process.

Just look at him for fuck's sake. He's so fucking fat, I'm surprised he can even move. This is probably how he came to be so fucking paranoid--the atherosclerosis he developed from being a morbidly obese fuck affected his brain so much that he's practically schizophrenic.

It's not a surprise that you neckbeard vir/g/ins have the same mindset he does, since you guys have the same physique and whatnot.
>>
>>54610165
Autism maybe, which is no better since they are doing it for free.
>>
>>54610229
An honorary doctorate is still a doctorate. In fact I think it should count even more, because his work inspired so many unis to give him degrees and he never even went there.
>>
>>54610173

>I fully support his use of Doctor

He's a doctor in the same way Linus Torvalds is. I expect you to refer to Linus as Doctor Torvalds from now on.
>>
>>54610165
>wrote emacs
Contributed to guy steele's TECO macros, later cloned gosmacs, the actual first emacs for UNIX. If stallman wrote emacs, apple is the sole creator of webkit.
>wrote gcc and gdb
He wrote the C compiler initially, but the vast majority of development for other compilers and the C compiler has came from non-stallman sources.

And he hasn't programmed in years. Stallman is washed up, and his justifications for copyleft are horribly invalid nonsense that would make more sense if they were actual thinly veiled communism instead of selfish ramblings and a desire for a world that catered to his specific social class.
>>
>>54610243
are you this sad cunt? >>54610193
>>
>>54610271
terry davis is superior
>>
>>54610264
if Linux wanted me to call him Dr, I would.
>>
>>54610262

You can buy honorary doctorates if you donate enough to universities.

This alone renders them worthless academically.

But you know I don't need to explain this. Everyone knows a honorary degree is just that, a vague status. It doesn't mean you've earned a doctorate, it means someone has given you a title.

There's no need to explain it because everyone who has an honorary doctorate understands that. No one gains one and starts calling themselves doctor because it would be unseemly.

Everyone except Stallman.

Because Stallman is a fat Jew desperate for attention.
>>
>>54610272
No, just dropping the truth on you.

Not being the true originator of emacs is a compliment unto stallman, by the way. He would be a terrible person if he were actually responsible for that crap, maybe even worse than bill joy and bram moolenar, founders of that delusional cult of unergonomic, slow programming and inefficient text processing.
>>
>>54610310
UGH. Stallman wrote GNU EMACS. AKA the only emacs that's worth a good goddamn. THERE'S MORE THAN ONE EMACS GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD.
>>
>>54610271

>copyleft

Filthy fucking communist...
>>
>>54610322

Stallman copied someone else's work and took credit for it?

Well I never.

This is a man without a PhD calling himself Doctor though, so I shouldn't be surprised...
>>
>>54610322
He wrote a shitty clone of a shitty editor that was a conceptual clone of an even shittier configuration for a fork of the shittiest editor to date at the time*, thereby creating the worst program in the history of man

*I'll give stallman credit for his TECO fork that took guy steele's horrible work to another level
>>
>>54610297
Yeah just like "everyone knew copyright was for controlling people and not letting them have freedom". Except stallman brilliantly subverted that system to protect freedom instead.

Face it. Stallman's a breed apart. He doesn't go with the flow and do what everyone else does. He thinks for himself, and often comes up with some pretty damn brilliant hacks.
>>
T E M P L E O S

O

S
>>
>>54610297
>Because Stallman is a fat Jew desperate for attention.
This alone marks you as foolish, or a child. Most claims of "pretentiousness" or "they just want attention!" stem from myopia. Your understanding of people, yourself, and the world as a whole is so wanting and distorted as to not be remotely useful.

Build better heuristics. Improve yourself. This is a shameful, embarrassing display.
>>
>>54610364
Stallman "brilliantly" used copyright to control people, and then told them that they were free, because they were forbidden from doing things stallman would not want to be done to himself.

You're free under the GPL like you're free according to karl marx once you're liberated from the interdependence of capitalism

except you are a slave, held back from human nature because a greedy nerd thought it would be nicer if everyone were forced to share
>>
>>54610364

>Stallman calling himself a Doctor because he has less class than everyone else with an honorary degree is somehow clever.

Basically he's just being pretentious, and you think that being pretentious and calling giving himself titles he hasn't earned somehow means he's 'subverting the system'

No, it just means he's attention seeking.
>>
>>54610370
/tdg/ was a mistake. just invitation for schizos to run rampant.
>>
File: Thats_just_your_opinion.jpg (29 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Thats_just_your_opinion.jpg
29 KB, 300x300
>>54610229
>Well then he's not a Doctor is he then.

I don't disagree, but this reaction is waaay out of proportion.

>>54610243
The FSF co-ordinates funding for a large number of projects, as for how Stallman will be remembered, only time will tell.

>>54610247
Go have your aneurysm somewhere else Pajeet.

>>54610256
Probably, but read the thread; tell me you don't see it.

>>54610271
>Contributed to guy steele's TECO macros, later cloned gosmacs
-
>GNU Emacs was initially based on Gosling Emacs, but Stallman's replacement of its Mocklisp interpreter with a true Lisp interpreter required that nearly all of its code be rewritten.

>He wrote the C compiler initially, but the vast majority of development for other compilers and the C compiler has came from non-stallman sources.
That's why I said gcc, not GCC. Don't omit gdb though, it's important.

>And he hasn't programmed in years. Stallman is washed up
As are most university professors and managers then, or anyone who goes into public speaking.

>his justifications for copyleft are horribly invalid nonsense
That's like, your opinion man.

>instead of selfish ramblings and a desire for a world that catered to his specific social class.
Guy went to Ivy League schools, he didn't need free (as in beer) software. Not to mention, isn't all people seek to achieve in life influence and happiness? Doesn't seem like an uncommon goal to me.

>put Terry on the sticky
Replace a meme autist with a real one? Why? Terry's cool, but he hasn't done anything to benefit the community at large.
>>
>>54610377

>Stallman seeming pathetic to you is your problem, you just don't 'get' him

Let's all dress ourselves in borrowed robes like Stallman. Kek.
>>
>>54610396
Yeah actually starting to smell fishy.
>>
>>54610394
You don't get it do you dullard? It's just like when he calls himself "St. Ignucias" He doesn't really think he's a real Doctor or a real Saint, he's lampooning, critizing, and critiquing those people who call themselves by those titles and take themselves so seriously. It's all a sendup.
>>
We should have Terry on the sticky.
>>
>>54610429

He's put 'Doctor' in his email sig.

He's not lampooning anything. He's genuinely trying to get people to think he's a doctor.
>>
>>54610454
Yeah, and he put a pic and his title as Saint IGNUcias on his website. Doesn't mean he wants people to think he's a real saint.
>>
>>54610454
He doesn't put 'Doctor' in his email signature, he puts 'Dr Richard Stallman'.
>>
File: I Fuck The Music.jpg (904 KB, 1000x749) Image search: [Google]
I Fuck The Music.jpg
904 KB, 1000x749
B-but Kanye West is a doctor. He's got a PhD.

A pretty huge dick
>>
>>54610405
You're just looping back on yourself.

I'm mainly replying to you because its clear you're miserable. Look at the things you choose to say. Look at the way you choose to say them. Look at how you respond to signals from your environment. Ask why. Ask why again. Keep asking why. And remember, you are your environment as much as you are yourself, and to a less extent, the inverse. There are much more useful and meaningful ways of being, and it's up to you to find them for yourself. Discovery is creation, there is no true difference between invention and discovery.

Stallman is just a proxy for you to act on a deeper, more core issue. Good luck in deciding if it's all worth it.
>>
>>54610479
Unfortunately people are dumb enough that you need to state the obvious. The Saint deal stems from an old joke about the church of emacs. Beyond that, I don't know why it's there or if he has a defined intent and desire about it. Who knows.
>>
>>54610501

>reaching Stallman-sequel levels of pretentiousness

Richard is that you?

If so you're not a doctor, stop calling yourself one.
>>
>>54610544
What am I pretending to be.
>>
>>54610429

That's stupid. He claims to be a doctor every day, which is a lie. Joking about being s prophet of the church of emacs is completely different
>>
>>54610395
Fuck off CIA nigger
>>
>>54609686
I don't understand. Isn't obtaining an honorary doctorate more prestigious? It means your work was so important that even though you didn't spoon feed money to a university they still gave you a degree.

I'd rather have an accredited university give me an honorary doctorate because it means I did something with my life, unlike you faggot.
>>
File: temple_os_free_download.jpg (93 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
temple_os_free_download.jpg
93 KB, 640x480
>>54610395
Can't deny this beauty faggot

DERP DERP
>>
>>54610666
Who saved this as a jpeg. His OS renders only to 8 bit if I recall, this is what png is ideal for. Can be paletted, mostly flat solid colors.
>>
>>54610653

Like Kanye West's honorary degree? Or J.K Rowlings?

What about Dr. Steve Jobs, don't forget about him.
>>
>>54610574
It's on his website every day.
>>
>>54610709
No fun allowed. I want only srs bsns and everyone else should too.
>>
>>54609686
Sure is Microsoft shill in here.
>>
>>54610799
Hey mister, you better just cut it out. Don't make me get Hillary in here.
>>
>>54610799
Or Templetroll, it's the new dank meme. Poor Terry.
>>
>>54610799
NIST Randomness Beacon Summary: NIST is implementing a prototype source of public randomness. The prototype (at https://beacon.nist.gov/home) uses two independent commercially available sources of randomness, each with an independent hardware entropy source and SP 800-90-approved components.
The Beacon is designed to provide unpredictability, autonomy, and consistency. Unpredictability means that users cannot algorithmically predict bits before they are made available by the source. Autonomy means that the source is resistant to attempts by outside parties to alter the distribution of the random bits. Consistency means that a set of users can access the source in such a way that they are confident that they all receive the same random string. Description:
The Beacon will broadcast full-entropy bit-strings in blocks of 512 bits every 60 seconds. Each such value is time-stamped and signed, and includes the hash of the previous value to chain the sequence of values together. This prevents all, even the source, from retroactively changing an output packet without being detected. The beacon keeps all output packets and makes them available online.
DRBG Beacon System Diagram Uses:
Tables of random numbers have probably been used for multiple purposes at least since the Industrial Revolution. The first published table appears to be by the English statistician L.H.C. Tippett. In the digital age, algorithmic random number generators have largely replaced these tables.
>>
>>54609803
I'll always root for Terry.
>>
>>54609686
>>54610102
ITT mothafuckas act like they forgot about Dre
>>
>>54609686
I still consider him just a meme and his fans as well. Linus T is where it's at.

Anyone who uses "gnu/linux" on this board is tryhard faggot and should never be worth of listening to.
>>
>>54609686
>Stallman is a gargantuan faggot who calls himself a 'doctor' without having gained a PhD

Holy shit, is this true? What a poser.
>>
>>54609686
>They only reason anyone pays them any heed now is because of the (negligible) help it gave Linus back in the early days of Linux.

The only reason anyone talks about him is because he's a laughing stock that provides some form of entertainment in a very niche field.
>>
>>54611015
>>54611025
Stop samefagging.
>>
File: no.png (25 KB, 481x265) Image search: [Google]
no.png
25 KB, 481x265
>>54611069
u wot m8?
>>
>>54611069
it's widely accepted that people that call themselves "Dr. ____" on the basis of an honorary doctorate are self-absorbed frauds.
>>
>>54611081
Hmm...
Assuming no html editing.
>>
oh just fuck off.
what have you achieved in your life?

you took a shit this morning and that's your peak.
>>
>>54611089
You're even more paranoid than Stallman.
>>
>>54611089
resorting to paranoia is really pathetic.
>>
T E M P L E O S
E
M
P
L
E

O
S
>>
>>54611103
Stallman isn't paranoid.

>>54611107
Framing it as "resorting" is dumb.
>>
File: 1461729788198-g.jpg (83 KB, 478x712) Image search: [Google]
1461729788198-g.jpg
83 KB, 478x712
>>54611095
It was a good one though.
>>
>>54611095
it would be noble if RMS did good in the world and humbly rejected status except to advance the cause he promotes. everyone loves self-sacrificial figureheads. it would be great if RMS did jokey stuff like portray himself as a saint in the OP pic, but totally forsookall the prestige of titles like "doctor". and honestly it would be consistent with how socially disconnected he is from "normal" society.

but he doesn't do any of that. he mocks stuff that people respect, didn't bother to finish his masters (let alone go for a phd), and yet he clings to the title "doctor" as though he earned it the legitimate way.

I have mixed feelings about people with phds being somewhat rude in correcting a person about their title (and as a phd student i see it more often than the average person), but the positive side of that ambivalence is that the work to earn a phd is not trivial, and the risk is arguably much greater.

post facto earning of an advanced degree universally requires being newsworthy. Kanye West has a doctorate. JK Rowling does too (x7). Oprah has like 4 I think. They all got theirs *because* they were famous. If Kanye had written all the same songs and just not broken out and achieved fame, he wouldn't have gotten an honorary doctorate. It has little to do with the contribution and everything to do with the impact.

the measure of whether you're a good researcher is your impact, and i agree that academia should reward that in that spirit, but granting someone a doctorate principally on the basis that they're famous and gave a speech at your university feels insulting to phd students. it's a minor insult among many greater ones, so i'm not about to march on washington over it, but it's an insult nonetheless.

when someone is given an honorary doctorate and they enthusiastically play into that farce, it makes both parties in this system (the admin at the university and the person being granted the degree) equally guilty to me.
>>
>>54611125
when someone gives you evidence that you're wrong and your next step is to raise questions that there's a conspiracy, that's resorting to paranoia.

If you object to "resorting", I can use "grasping" instead.
>>
>>54611222
>>54611111
god damn, trips and quints in such a short time checked
>>
>>54611236
...Conspiracy? Among whom, you and yourself?

We have very different ideas about what constitutes acceptable evidence, besides.
>>
>>54611222
what a load of waffle.

The world has caught up and "open-source" is everywhere but back in the 90s it was rare.
The values he pushed (and pushed hard) laid the foundations for all your free stuff now (well that and linux).

just because the things he did and wrote aren't in fashion at the moment, aren't the new hotness, aren't latte-sipping apple hipster cool doesn't mean that he didn't do things.

he wrote a shit load of stuff.

fuck off back to windows.
>>
>>54611289
i see no way that this conversation can benefit anyone if you think that there's enough at stake for that guy to pretend to be two different people, even if all it takes is to open the browser inspector and remove some text.

if you've decided that no evidence will convince you to reconsider your position, then i'm arguing with a brick wall.
>>
What you're calling Dr. Stallman is in fact Bachelor of Physics/Gradute school dropout/Honorary doctor
>>
>a bunch of babbys moralizing on 4chan

You're in the wrong place, faggots.
>>
>>54611367
Anon, I don't care. You don't seem to understand, there is no binary truth to be had for me here, it's all weighted by probability and then pushed into a framework where all elements are inherently uncertain. Functionally, I might as well have believed you all along. But this doesn't mean your "evidence" was at all substantial. Look at it from another perspective.

Either way, I don't really want to discuss epistemology, and I'm going to sleep.
>>
>>54610165

>Undergrad degree in physics from Harvard

Undergrad means jack shit.

>doctoral student at MIT for a year afterwards.

So he is a dropout?

>Published a paper about AI who's concepts are still in use today

OK, +1 point.

>among other papers he also published.

Wow, he published something.

>Wrote emacs

Alas, -10 points.

>gcc

+5 points.

>gdb

What is this shit?

>and created the General Public License (GPL), popularizing if not creating the concept of copyleft. Founded the Free Software Foundation (FSF) and created the GNU project to produce a free (as in freedom) operating system that wouldn't restrict users.

Means exactly nothing. 0 points.

>For these efforts and others, he's received 15 honorary doctorates from universities around the world.

Honorary doctorates are meaningless, it's only a sign that some guy fancies his software piracy movement. 0 points.

So we end up with:
1 - 10 + 5 = - 4 points.

Not very well, RMS.
>>
>>54611351
>The world has caught up and "open-source" is everywhere but back in the 90s it was rare.
the success of open source is largely owed to permissive terms like the MIT, BSD, and apache licenses. i would categorically without equivocation that GPLv3 antagonized industry, and made the answer to developers asking legal "can i use open source code?" a default "no", followed by "not until we evaluate the terms".

i've worked in industry in the past, and i've only heard "copyleft" from people outside of industry; in industry people call it "viral licensing". if there's a more pejorative way of referencing copyleft licensing, i can't think of it. the mere existence of such an antagonistic licensing scheme actually puts developers in a weaker position trying to advocate dabbling in and contributing to open source software out of fear that some code they use might "infect" their codebase under the GPLv3 terms.

the dream up until 2005 was that industry developers could work with open source software, feed back to the community, and learn from experience how rewarding it is to have code be free. GPLv3 decided that this gradual process didn't offer enough drama, so it drove a wedge into the open source software community to stir some up.

separating his early work from the past decade or two, RMS has unequivocally held the free software movement back in the past 15 years. i won't be glad when RMS dies, but i'll be glad when he's gone.
>>
>>54611422
>I'm going to sleep.
>i demand the last word
okay.
>>
>>54609803
I think Terry would be great aswell. He really defines what it means to be part of the /g/ community
>>
>>54611351

No ones saying he hasn't done anything, he has contributed massively to a lot of things, and his input Linus let him put into Linux will cause him to be remembered.

Problem is he overstates what he has achieved, and calls himself a Doctor when he doesn't have a PhD.

Lots of people have contributed to technology. That alone doesn't entitle you to attention seek as much as Stallman.
>>
>>54611541
RMS is a delusional, self-important, pseudo-intellectual who hasn't contributed anything good in the past 20 years.

he's perfect for the sticky. either him or the protagonist from american psycho, who thinks he's great but at the end turns out to be a complete basket case. either one would be fine.
>>
>RMS only has a bachelors

Freetards on suicide watch
>>
>>54611559
the thing that drives me crazy about /g/ is that there are people saying that N phony degrees should cumulatively amount to a legitimate one. like if you bought a dozen fake PhDs from Trump University et al. that would somehow combine Captain Planet-style and make you a real expert.

honorary degrees are like shitty coupons; you can't trade them in for cash, you can't transfer them, and you can't add them together. stop acting like they do.
>>
>>54611487
>>gdb
>What is this shit?
way to blow your load pajeet. 0/10 troll, you probably don't even program. get out.
>>
>>54610229
Except he did gain a PhD.
>>
>>54611598

Go to bed 'Doctor' Stallman, you don't want to be tired for your surgery tommorow...
>>
>>54611632

He didn't even gain a masters. He has a BSc and that's it.
>>
>>54611642
nigger
>>
ITT: pathetic fucks jealous of Stallman's success and impact. Maybe you should do something with your life if you wanna be called Doctor too.
>>
Have Terry replace that Fraudman on the sticky.
>>
>>54611659

>Still claiming Stallman is a doctor

Just like Kanye huh kiddo?
>>
>>54611673
nigger
>>
>>54611673
cia mit NIGGER
>>
He had many honorary doctorates so as far as technically being able to call himself "Dr Stallman" goes, he's fine. I've never seen or heard of him being the sort of asshole who insists others address him as "Dr" so who the fuck cares?
>>
>>54611659

>dressing yourself in borrowed robes
>successful

Kek. He's pretty successful at taking credit for the hard work of others, I'll give you that.
>>
>>54611632
let's be clear bordering on pedantic here since it's RMS:

a PhD is a Doctorate of Philosophy (or Philosophiae Doctor, hence "Ph" + "D").

Richard Stallman has earned a "doctorate honoris" several times over. That's not a PhD, nor is it equivalent. Equating them would be like equating an MD and a PhD.

All 3 are doctorates, and technically you can call yourself a "doctor" with any of the 3, but they're not all PhDs. only a PhD is a PhD.

but this is all beside the point, because we're not arguing about whether a university can grant a doctorate of any sort to any person it wants; in fact, they probably *could* grant non-honorary doctorates to people if they wished; it's just that then there would truly be no distinction between these farcical doctorates that they give out to muppets on sesame street and the ones they give to people who propose, write, and defend a dissertation.
>>
Stallman is a CIA nigger kike, God told me //0x0000FFFF
>>
>>54611698

>he's got so much Monopoly money he should totally be able to buy that actual house
>>
>>54611698
the whole discussion is about how he insists on it. he's a total drama queen. is this honestly surprising?
>>
>>54611700
Of course. He isn't the president of FSF or the principle author of GPL or anything right???
>>
>>54611715
Nobody's provided any evidence of him insisting on it. Only his email signature where he addresses himself that way.
>>
>>54611698
he refers to himself as dr stallman. he corrects people when they introduce him. it's not a big enough deal that anyone boos him off the stage or interrupts his talk, but it's sort of a dick-headed thing to do, like being rude to service workers and shit. nobody's going to stop you because it's not a big enough deal, but anyone who notices it and who isn't a shitbag themselves will judge you pretty hard for it.

in the case of calling yourself a doctor, the only group of people who actually care are usually just the people who have or are earning a doctorate, so it's a small community. but if RMS cared what they thought in the first place, maybe he'd have gone for a phd.
>>
What the fuck? Why are all of you abandoning St. Ignucius? I don't like what /g/ has become.
>>
>being this butthurt about what RMS does

Literally fucking kys op. Either that or get a life
>>
>>54611778
i think you're reading more into this than there is. writing that RMS is wrong to do this, or that it's objectionable to us, hardly takes any amount of butthurt. nobody is staging protests or writing emails to RMS about this.

if you think it takes "being this butthurt" to be motivated to post on 4chan, i can only imagine how hard it must be to post on 4chan for you.
>>
>destroys any credibility he has by acting like an ass "I'm not glad he's dead but I'm glad he's gone"

He gained more credibility in my eyes for saying that. He spoke his mind unapologetically, which most public figures and celebrities simply don't do for fear of losing their profitable positions and influences.

That said, he fucking rekt Jobs with that statement.
>>
he has 12 honorary doctorates and 3 honorary professorships
>>
>>54611807
so many people have said that it's so brave/honest/genuine that RMS says and does stuff like this. are you even sure that's his thought process?

what if it's not a feature, but a bug? what if RMS isn't *capable* of making the connection that these things are inappropriate for the context?

i appreciate that people might be brave to say something controversial, but there's also a chance that a person is oblivious that the thing they're saying is controversial, and it's not brave if they're clueless, even if the act is the same.
>>
>>54611807
>Damn. That’s cold.

>Stallman is a well-known and very vocal activist who pioneered the GNU Project to create a free Unix-like operating system and created the Free Software Foundation (if you’ve ever heard of the GNU license or Emacs, those are his babies). He is particularly well-known among open source software fans and is an extremely vocal opponent of excessive copyright laws that he feels keeps software out of the hands of the people.

>Interestingly, what Stallman holds as his highest ideal (making software accessible to the masses) is precisely what he hasn’t managed to achieve, while Jobs abundantly did. Stallman’s geek-centric “information wants to be free” philosophies have not succeeded in making Linux any more interesting or appealing except to the fringe who are already using it…whereas Jobs brought tablets, phones and laptops to literally millions who, beforehand, were unsure about technology and how to use it in their lives.

>While I have always respected Stallman’s idealism and courage, there must also be a time when someone measures the worth of someone’s lifelong achievements by how many people have actually benefited from their labor. Today I saw this photo of the Apple Store in Ottawa, Ontario, just one of many where flowers and post-it notes that mark the passing of Jobs can be seen at the entrance. I can’t help but wonder: When Stallman dies, where will his flowers and hand-written letters from ordinary people be found?

Source: http://www.macgasm.net/2011/10/07/richard-stallman-steve-jobs-glad/
>>
>>54611868
I wonder if the people that love RMS for this shit are similar/motivated by the same stuff that makes people love Donald Trump. It seems like people rabidly cling to both because of what appears (to them, anyway) to be total disregard for norms and whatnot.

Maybe in one or both cases they're aware of norms and are indeed disregarding them, but I'm not necessarily convinced on either case. Saying something so rude about a person who's died so recently is seriously inappropriate. My dad cheated on my mom for decades and convinced my sisters and me that she was paranoid and delusional from Bipolar Disorder when she accused him of cheating on her and stuff, and generally mistreated her (all this to say that he was and is a bad person), but if someone outside my family said to me that they were "glad he's gone", I imagine I'd want to clock him.

All this is to say that Jobs had a family and they probably could've done without a fat oaf taking such a petty final shot at the guy, regardless of how conflicted their feelings might have been about him (and I imagine they harbored some resentment, since my understanding is that he was a pretty shitty father as well).
>>
>>54611774
we are not abandoning the gnu.

just a couple of know-nothing egomaniacs running their mouths off about some random bullshit.

fuckin noobs.
>>
>>54609803
I vote for Terry over stallman too. Let's get the sticky updated please.
>>
>>54611918
And this isn't to say that he couldn't later say whatever he wanted. Just that there's a generally understood period immediately after someone dies that you don't lay into them for all their faults. You keep your mouth shut for a little while. You don't lie, but you don't offer to comment something as shitty as that.
>>
>>54611936
isn't terry religious?
>>
>>54611886
The hell is this bullshit?
>>
>>54611918
I think it's more likely that Stallman is socially oblivious than it is for Trump.

But people like Stallman and Trump for slightly different reasons. People like Trump because he's the underdog who gets absolutely shit on by the media in the most insane ways, and he's a counter-establishment figure. In fact I wonder since the media's shitting on Trump is so intense and insane that if they're doing it to ensure he gets elected. But that's just a wackjob conspiracy theory in the back of my mind.

People who like Stallman are significantly more concerned about his ideas than they are about Trump. He's not really an underdog figure since he's not regularly shit on by the establishment. The establishment just kind of tries to ignore him.
>>
>>54610098
Not using the prefix after recieving a honorary doctorate is only a social convention. You are allowed to do so, as you have recieved the title, you usually just don't. Notably; Benjamin Franklin refferred to himself as Dr. Franklin, despite only recieving honoraries.

This entire system is bullshit, RMS is just using it for his own purpose. Which is a good thing.
>>
>>54611886
>Interestingly, what Stallman holds as his highest ideal (making software accessible to the masses) is precisely what he hasn’t managed to achieve
>(making software accessible to the masses)
That was never Stallman's goal. This is another article whose author conflates freedom with convenience.
>>
>>54611868
>what if RMS isn't *capable* of making the connection that these things are inappropriate for the context?

RMS knows perfectly well, hence the "I'm not glad he's dead" part.
>>
>>54612024
I know. When I realized what he meant by that I laughed, and then the laughter turned into an intense coughing fit. Started feeling hella dizzy; fucking applecucks trying to make me lose consciousness.
>>
>>54612042
>As Chicago Mayor Harold Washington said of the corrupt former Mayor Daley, "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone." Nobody deserves to have to die - not Jobs, not Mr. Bill, not even people guilty of bigger evils than theirs. But we all deserve the end of Jobs' malign influence on people's computing.

Everyone just uses that one part of his quote for convienience, don't they? It's almost as if though that was all that was written. Or maybe that's just what the media wants you to think? ;)
>>
>>54612097
Meant for:
>>54611868
>>
>>54611942
>>54611918

>All this is to say that Jobs had a family and they probably could've done without a fat oaf taking such a petty final shot at the guy
>Just that there's a generally understood period immediately after someone dies that you don't lay into them for all their faults

I don't agree and you guys are a couple of pussy bitches. The price for being a leader is that you open yourself up for criticism. Yes, even after you're dead. I guarantee you Steve Jobs got much, much worse on a daily basis when he was alive, from people who were a lot closer to him than Stallman. His family was well aware of this and I'm pretty sure they don't give a shit what anyone says about him. I'm sure they're doing fine with their multi-billion dollar estate.
>>
>>54611774
Hating on Stallman has always been a popular troll here. Are you just realizing now that this board is overrun with MS/Apple/Google shills?
>>
Why does he always talk about freedom, when he's a commie and communism is the opposite of freedom?
>>
>>54612042
you seem to be confusing autism with sociopathy. i don't think he's a sociopath
>>
>>54612137
>The price for being a leader is that you open yourself up for criticism
he didn't run for office. he was pretty reclusive. he didn't seem to like to be out in public or travel.

are you saying that he's not allowed to rise past middle management and also die without getting hypocritical pot shots taken when he dies?
>>
>>54612137
>I'm pretty sure they don't give a shit what anyone says about him
Based on what? You must have more inside information than just "being some observer who posts on 4chan". Have you talked with any of them about this (or perhaps have they said publicly that they don't care what people say)?
>>
>>54610073
This.

He didn't go through 6 years of evil medical school to be called "Mr Evil"...
>>
>>54612137
>I'm sure they're doing fine with their multi-billion dollar estate.
money doesn't overcome the grief of losing a parent.

i can't believe i had to post that for someone.
>>
The problem is he attempts to trick people into think he's a 'doctor', when he's not.

It's bad form to call yourself Dr. Stallman when you've only got a honorary degree. It makes him look desperate, jealous of those who have put the effort in and actually have the ability to gain the PhD, something he's obviously not capable of seeing as he couldn't even complete his Masters.

He's a sham and he's hurting the FSF.
>>
>>54611244
And dubs your reward for keen sight
>>
So the consensus of this thread is Stallman is a fraud and Terry is our new mascot?

MR MOD, TEAR DOWN THAT STICKY
>>
>>54609686
I'm glad I'm mediocre but not in OP level pointing out others mediocrity in a mediocre image board.

it must be hard being you
>>
>>54609686
You're just upset that even after all you've said, he's still accomplished more than you ever will. People will remember him for generations to come; your grandchildren won't remember you after you're gone.
>>
A honorary degree is even cooler than a regular one. It means you didn't go through the process of getting a phd, but you were still so fucking good that they gave it to you anyway.
>>
>>54612854

People will only remember him as a footnote in Linus's achievements.

And for pretending to be a Doctor when he's not...
>>
>>54613386

Like Dr Rowling with her groundbreaking research into Wizards?
>>
Has a celebrity endorsed Richard Stallman yet? No?

Okay then, fuck off.
>>
>>54612854
>>54613512
It's really sad when you realize he started an entire "movement" just to try and get people to remember that Linux uses his software and that he's done a "good thing" by letting that happen.
>>
>>54613859

This. Stallman is such a fucking egomaniac that he doesn't realise if Linus hadn't used his work he would have used something else, but if he had used something else no one would even know Stallman's name now.

'Doctor' Stallman should give thanks every day Linus saved him from a life of obscurity, rather than try to shoehorn his way into the achievements of others with his 'Gnu/Linux' bullshit interjecting.
>>
He has a good cause, but does a real shit job at arguing for it.
>>
I don't even really like Stallman, but the samefagness is strong in this thread. Seriously, dude, calm the fuck down.
>>
>>54613944

He does far more harm than good. If he truly cared about freedom he would allow someone more competent to take the reigns.

But then he wouldn't be in the spotlight. He wouldn't be able to pretend he's a doctor and get all the attention he craves.

I'm sure one of the other 20 or so people who give a shit about free software could do a better job than him, but he's far too in love with himself to allow it.

Absolut faggot.
>>
>>54610056
>defenestrate
heh
>>
>>54609686

At least hesn't a nigger.
>>
> op not knowing how to get a doctorate
> op not knowing that any original research in science qualifies you for a Ph.D
> op not knowing about stallman's dank codez

u n d e r a g e d - b &
>>
>>54610247
>it makes him a fucking pussy-ass vagina bitch. He probably left because his grades were so fucking bad. His fucking landwhale-looking ass probably had so much cholesterol clogging his fucking arteries that he became atherosclerotic, and his brain died out in the process.
Lol you're salty. He acheived far more in that one year of grad school than you have in your whole life.
>>
>>54611487
>Undergrad means jack shit
I doubt you even have an undergrad degree, let alone a doctorate.
>>
Fuck Stallman
>>
T E R R Y D A V I S
E
M
P
L
E

O
S
>>
>>54610041
>Classic Stallman, he's always thinking two moves ahead.
Or he has his head up his ass and wants to be a doctor without any of the hard work.

Damn, get off his nuts, nigger
>>
>>54615755
>racism on a blue board
>>
>>54611579
Woe. Thats pathetic.
>>
Same with "GNU/Linux" he can't cope with the fact GNU failed and was snuffed out by the fast (and OPEN SOURCE) growth of Linux, so he just glued GNU onto the moniker. He's a Marxist mooch. ESR And Linus are eternally better people
>>
>>54610501
lurking this thread, really appreciate the way you have handled this exchange. Notes were taken.
>>
Linus should be in the sticky.
>>
>>54610707
Regardless of how you acquire your art degree, it's still worthless.

RMS is one of the most revered and influential engineers the world will have ever known. His contributions, both technical and philosophical, are too many count.
>>
>>54615947

>communist trying to take credit for the work of someone successful

Color me surprised...
>>
File: 1463247825511.png (596 KB, 1200x796) Image search: [Google]
1463247825511.png
596 KB, 1200x796
>>54616013
>>
Why doesn't he get a PhD?

I'm sure he could easily finish a thesis and be done with studies in less than 5 years.
>>
>>54616020

But none of them entitle him to a doctorate.

Bill Gates has changed the face of technology far more. Everyone knows his name. Everyone in the west has used or benefited from his work in some way. Aside from that his charitable work has aided millions of people.

He has an honorary doctorate. He never refers not expects to be referred to a as Dr. Gates.

RMS does though, despite having achieved much less. Because RMS is an attention seeking faggot.
>>
>>54616037

He couldn't even get a masters. He's spent the last 20 years doing nothing but taking credit for the work of others and getting ass hurt that people don't believe in his incredibly restrictive view of 'freedom'.

Why are you so sure he could get a PhD?
>>
>>54616105
Eh, yeah I don't know enough about RMS to say.
>>
Terry for the sticky.

Fuck Stallman.
>>
>>54613903
>'Doctor' Stallman should give thanks every day Linus saved him from a life of obscurity, rather than try to shoehorn his way into the achievements of others with his 'Gnu/Linux' bullshit interjecting.
You realize it's mostly people on /g/ doing the interjecting, not RMS himself, right
>>
>>54616083
>But none of them entitle him to a doctorate.
The men who actually issue those degrees think otherwise. Obviously you have no idea how doctorates work at all. It's not "study, pass exams, get paper".

>Bill Gates has changed the face of technology far more.
Both Gates and Jobs were legendary businessmen. They were hardly computer scientists. I understand it's hard to give credit when it's due when you're a clueless teenager.

Let me put it this way; you use the internet, you're almost certainly using RMS software somewhere down the line.

>He has an honorary doctorate. He never refers not expects to be referred to a as Dr. Gates.
That's his fucking prerogative. He has fully earned the right to do so should he change his mind.
>>
File: image.png (634 KB, 800x900) Image search: [Google]
image.png
634 KB, 800x900
We need to remove stallman from sticky. Put linus or someone else.

Make /g/ great again.
>>
>>54616362
Ok. You can now fuck off back to /a/pol/, wewfriend.
>>
File: swgga_king.png (487 KB, 912x710) Image search: [Google]
swgga_king.png
487 KB, 912x710
>>54615947
> GNU was anuffed out by the fast Linux

Intredasting: the post
>>
ITT buttmad college debt fags.

How does it feel now that late capitalism has turned you all into disposable serfs? HR wipes their ass with your degrees.
>>
>>54612539
>are you saying that he's not allowed to rise past middle management and also die without getting hypocritical pot shots taken when he dies?

Yes. He was a public figure whether you like it or not.

>>54612551
People don't just rise to that level of status slowly. His fame came slowly over many years and his family has had much time to adjust to it. This isn't some big secret, this is how the business world functions normally.

>>54612605
When did I say they shouldn't be allowed to grieve faggot? What I'm saying is I'm not buying your little sob story, his family is doing just fine, they have enough security from their vast riches that they can grieve in peace.
>>
>>54613859
By letting what happen ? Is your sentence missing a part or am I retarded ?
>>
Can we remove his pic from the sticky? Even Tim Cook would be a better icon
>>
>>54609686
capped for truth to be posted on any GNUfag shill post
>>
>>54620965
he's a meme. It just got outta control because newfags flooded the website and became unironic GNUfags. The meme is successfull.
>>
I could understand if he had one honorary degree and called himself a doctor. But he has twelve. I think he deserves it
>>
All memes aside, how plausible is it that Stallman has Asperger's?
>>
>>54621396
Very extremely massively. I'd be stunned if he didn't, genuinely. The chucklefuck's justification for being pedoscum is undeniably ridden with sperg ideology.
>>
File: IMG_20160518_155106.jpg (29 KB, 400x305) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160518_155106.jpg
29 KB, 400x305
>>54609686
>Harvard physics degree with honors
>a MacArthur Fellow
>author of the GPfuckinL
>wrote emacs, gcc, gdb, GNUmake ...
>Linus' kernel wouldn't even exist
>freedom in software would just be a foggy concept
>OP refers to this person as a try-hard

It's as if OP is Dr Kanye West himself trolling /g/ or something.
>>
>>54621911
more try hard bullshit, I know lots of guys who have made C compilers, its not a big deal.

making COPIES of unix shell utilities like make, grep, sed, bash, etc is NOT AN OPERATING SYSTEM, rms has no systems programming talent, most of those utilities were done for him by FSF members, he is just a self-aggrandizing jew who takes every opportunity take credit for anything he can
>>
>>54610322
To be fair, everyone agreed that the original Emacs code from Stallman was pathetically bad including Linus and the current Emacs maintainers. While he does deserve some respect for coding them to the point he did, all of his projects were in abhorrent condition before others took them over.
>>
>>54609686
Stallman is more than capable of getting a PhD in a large range of subjects. If he chose to be the typical academia / corporate he would be a billionaire.
He also doesn't care what you call him as he's not a pretentious degree waver. He takes pride in his activism.

Also, the second you start calling people faggots instead of intellectually formulating your points, it destroys any credibility you were trying to build up. You might as well start spouting memes
>>
>>54610165
but he's a fat neckbeard and I use Windows 10 and play videogames. These facts when put side by side make me upset so I have to pick at little things such as his 'title' so I can grasp at a valid argument.
>>
>>54610173
>k. The university hsouldn't give out degrees if they don't enforce and treat them like other degress.

Completely this. Honorary degrees are a sign of academia desperation.
>>
>>54611774
this is neo-/g/
where facebook, /v/, and tumblr comes to shop for electronics and get tech support
>>
>>54612137
>The price for being a leader is that you open yourself up for criticism. Yes, even after you're dead. I guarantee you Steve Jobs got much, much worse on a daily basis when he was alive, from people who were a lot closer to him than Stallman. His family was well aware of this and I'm pretty sure they don't give a shit what anyone says about him.
youre right, Jobs family should be able to take petty shots about his death and so should Richard, so....

Why dont you die already Richard, you are the most obnoxious, pompous dickhole to ever spam 4chan. Just go and have a heart attack or stroke already so you can die, /g/ is going to go nuts with joy when youre dead
>>
File: k.png (2 MB, 1913x1371) Image search: [Google]
k.png
2 MB, 1913x1371
>>
>>54611487
>Designing a compiler used by millions: 5 points
>Designing an editor used by millions: -10 points
>Revolutionizing software development: 0 points

You should rank yourself on this scale and then kill yourself.
>>
>>54615947
>(and OPEN SOURCE) growth of Linux
Linux is under the GPL
>>
>>54615947

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNU/Linux, is in fact, SystemD/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, SystemD plus Linux. GNU/Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning SystemD system made useful by the SystemD corelibs, demon utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
>>
Stalin is a commie I don't know why /g/ reveres him so much.
>>
File: 1451851330577.webm (3 MB, 654x428) Image search: [Google]
1451851330577.webm
3 MB, 654x428
There has been a recent rise in the amount of threads dedicated to discrediting Stallman and his work.

What happened?
Did I miss anything?
>>
>>54610085
/thread desu senpai
>>
>>54623224
/g/ is moving away from a cult of personality...
..into the next one of course.
>>
File: lennartpoettering.jpg (53 KB, 1024x678) Image search: [Google]
lennartpoettering.jpg
53 KB, 1024x678
>>54623262
I, for one, welcome our new systemd overlord
>>
>>54610102
How about sir Dr Kanye von West
>>
>>54611487
>gdb
>What is this shit?

lmaoing at your life

opinion invalidated

please go back to >>>/v/
>>
>>54611095
no, I'm a heroin addict
>>
>>54622757
done
>>
>>54623820
Make it tree.

Father, son and holy spirit, bless this TempleOS.
>>
I love how shills and /pol/tards gets so triggered with Stallman.
>>
Dr. Stallman deserves praise for consistently being 10 years ahead of the curve on privacy and software freedom.
>>
File: myboy.png (10 KB, 704x537) Image search: [Google]
myboy.png
10 KB, 704x537
>implying lefties aren't /pol/tier
>implying stallman and his millions of little freetard minions aren't shilling FSF constantly
>implying nobody enjoys a tasty, healthy roast
>>
>>54611663
>Have Terry replace that Fraudman on the sticky.
+1
>>
>>54620840
>they can grieve in peace.
news of some fat toenail eating autist being glad that your dad is gone doesn't get deflected from your internet-browsing experience just because you have money. if anything, i bet some reporters probably kept badgering the family with responses or comments on RMS's comments because, as you said, they had no choice about being public figures. being related to the CEO of a company means that they have to also lead a public life to entertain zealots and fanatics like you.
>>
The family of a public figure didn't choose or even have a vote in being a public figure (generally). Being the subject of interest to reporters isn't something you just get the genes for dealing with. Imagine if your dad did something (ignore for the moment what it was) and that you and the rest of your family showed up in the news basically on a weekly basis in mainstream outfits, and practically every day on sites that seemed absolutely obsessed with the man (like... religious status).

Now imagine your dad has just died. Honestly try to work through whether grief you feel in the week or month following his death would be totally washed over by the fact that you have a lot of money (something you presumably had before your dad died, so there's no real difference unless you were waiting for him to die to take your share and fuck off).

I don't care for Jobs but if I was one of his kids (even the estranged one), it would upset me to hear about some notable person expressing gladness that my dad was gone. Having money doesn't make that all better. Losing a parent is too big a deal for a fuckload of money to make that all right in the immediate aftermath. It's not like he was a distant uncle or something.

If you still think that you wouldn't be fazed by someone rubbing salt in the wound after an immediate family member died, there honestly might be something wrong with you.
>>
Go to the 20 minute mark and see RMS get his foot lotion out and starts rubbing his feet.

Note, he shakes hands with the interviewer at the end - poor interviewer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkkDvKGcNSo
>>
>>54625929
in before
>he's just so real!
>>
>>54625929
he's just so real!
>>
File: RMS Cleanup.jpg (235 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
RMS Cleanup.jpg
235 KB, 1200x600
>>
File: webcam-toy-photo1.jpg (75 KB, 832x640) Image search: [Google]
webcam-toy-photo1.jpg
75 KB, 832x640
>>54626117

Nice attempt but you can't fix bald. Believe me, I know.
>>
>>54626117
he doesn't have that much hair on top dumbass
>>
>>54626117
>Even with all that beard you can still see his 4th chin
lmao
>>
>>54626606
hello Notch
>>
>>54626799

I am just as unhappy as Notch but roughly infinity times poorer.
>>
>>54612022
>you usually just don't
Because the vast majority of universities take the stance that you shouldn't.
>>
>>54613974
Would have been funnier if he hadn't explained the joke.
>>
File: cointelpro.png (141 KB, 1498x947) Image search: [Google]
cointelpro.png
141 KB, 1498x947
>>54623224
>>
File: aph_39.jpg (54 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
aph_39.jpg
54 KB, 852x480
>>54609686
You're a try hard, posting this bait.

Shut.
The.
Fuck.
Up.
>>
>>54610098
DMA (doctorate for musicians) also falls into the "earned title" category.
>>
math 55 are dubs none of you faggots will ever achieve

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_55

besides rms calls himself a hacker first and foremost. he objects to be called mr. and sir and has only recently mentioned Dr. in his email sig and on flyers for speeches (why I honestly do not know).
>>
rms said it best, "I'm not asking you to call it Stallmanix." How is that narcissistic you fucktards? He's literally the opposite of someone like Trump in this regard, who's narcissism manifests in having his name on everything.
>>
File: 1460286211486.jpg (239 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1460286211486.jpg
239 KB, 1280x720
>>54609712
Otouto Risharudo-kun.
>>
What is the main Expertise of Dr. Richard Stallman?
>>
>>54611958
So is Donald Knuth.
>>
>>54621341

Rowling has 7. Honorary doctorates are given out for donations sometimes. This shows how worthless they are.

Stallsham is no more a Dr than Bill Gates or Linus Torvalds, both of which also have honorifics, but have more class than to try to pretend to have earned a PhD.

Terry for new /g/ mascot.

MR MOD, TEAR THAT STICKY DOWN
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.