[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ - Stupid Question Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49
File: 1462890565823.jpg (50 KB, 736x460) Image search: [Google]
1462890565823.jpg
50 KB, 736x460
For questions that don't deserve their own thread

Old Thread: >>54477797
>>
How do I change Chromium to my default browser in Windows 10? Doesn't show up in 'Choose an App" in default apps considering Chromium is portable
>>
Going by the logicalincrements guide I'm trying to build a dirt cheap server however even the destitute tier is still too big does anyone have a recommended small cheap motherboard and small cheap case recommendation?
>>
>>54493690
Processor?
>>
>>54493724
Semp 2650 or I may go for an i5 of any sort
>>
>>54493537
Find the .exe and select it
>>
Would putting sound proof foam in my case make a whole lotta difference? Currently my computer is dead quite, the only noise comes from the cpu fan (212 evo) and the hard drives.

I removed the case fans and so the only fans are the gpu and cpu fans. Im thinking of getting a quiter fan for the 212, if it exsists? And doing something to reduce hard drive noise.

Any ideas?
>>
>>54493834
Drill a hole in the wall and put the PC on the other side
>>
I just built a new computer.

the mobo came with a disc that is supposed to install drivers for usb ports, but it only takes me to a black screen with a wall of text where it essentially prompts me to type Help for an index of commands.

I'm clearly in over my head, as previous bios would let me press F10 and install OS directly from a USB drive.

What do??
>>
>>54493863
can usb / hdmi even pass signal over cable thats 5m long?
>>
>>54493868
also its an ASUS z1790-a if that helps.
>>
>>54493868
dont use the disc, dl drivers from website.

windows should install drivers automatically
>>
>>54493884
>dl drivers from website.
I did that as well, downloaded them to a USB drive, plugged it in and nothing happened.
>try to boot OS, get error saying critical drivers are missing

I know you guys arent tech support but I'm clearly missing something obvious.
>>
>>54493517
I have a new computer and even if everything works fine so far, but I'm wondering what's actually needed to install to ensure stability and proper performance.

Do I need to install Intel Chipset Drivers?
How about Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
Should I go ahead and update the BIOS?
I have a Samsung 850 Evo, should I install their software?
>>
File: 1432029861815.png (131 KB, 598x277) Image search: [Google]
1432029861815.png
131 KB, 598x277
I can no longer DL subs from opensubs straight through MPC.
What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>54493914
So have you actually installed the os yet?
>>
>>54493958
tracker changes
>>
Whats the best hdd manufacturer?

Ive had issues in the past with the one external seagate i had but that was more causse i dropped it.

So seagate, hitachi, toshibaba, wd etc, WD seems like the best but i think it might be fear mongering.

Also how long until ssd's take over as the standard in price / performance?
>>
>>54494008
nope. it wont boot from bios.
>>
>>54494022
?
>>
>>54493916
Yes, no, yes and yes
>>
>>54494061
WD apparently bought out SanDisk out of nowhere just recently so that might be good for SSDs

They also bought HGST (Hitatchi) which according to tests is the most reliable Hard Disk Drive manufacturer, bit more expensive.

WD in general was great back in the day now they're just average. If anything buy their Blacks.

Seagates are still the worst offenders when it comes to reliability.

Toshiba is pretty reliable, a little better than WD but not as good as HGST.

I just got a 500 GB SSD for $140 that runs at 500MBps Read / 500MBps Write which is fine.

Almost 1TB can go to around $300~400.

3D XPoint apparently will allow the price to drop significantly while greatly improving the performance, but that won't come out for a while.
>>
How do you export python code with syntax highlighting to a PDF?
>>
>>54494145
Thanks, covered all points.

So even though they purchased hitachi they still manufacture them the same way as before?
>>
Best torrenter for windows?

utorrent 2.2.1? Seems like security risks could be big
>>
>>54494242
qBittorrent or Deluge pick your poison
>>
I am studying for the CompTIA A+ exam but kind of realizing it's the most basic information ever.
For anyone that has done it, should I just start doing some of the practice tests and skip reading all the books?
>>
Retoasting from last thread.

Is it possible to connect an internal cd drive externally, perhaps through usb?

I dont want the noise and i never use except for ripping media now days
>>
I'm writing a REST web server in Go, and using MongoDB.
Now I'm facing the user authentication integration, and I need some advices.

How could I implement this without use OAuth2 (which seems "too much" for my needs) but still respecting some standards and security levels?
>>
>>54494145
One thing of note is that WD sold off at least part of HGST's 3.5" manufacturing to Toshiba IIRC
>>
>>54494277
There's a lot of stuff that may or may not be there that I made sure to learn.

You're going to have to take a look at the exam objectives as it pretty much covers everything that will be on the exam

>If you're 801/802 (Be sure to do it before June 30th, after that they won't offer that anymore)
https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/exam-objectives/comptia_a_220-801_objectives.pdf

>901/902
Similar to 801/802, maybe 75% similar, takes out outdated technology.
Such as UEFI, Removal of Windows XP, Addition of Windows 8.1, More focus on Mobile Devices, Adds some Mac OS X and Linux stuff, etc.

Go ahead and try the practice tests.
>>
>>54494210
Screenshot lmao. Or do it yourself
>>
So what causes windows to slowly consume all space it can? Even using ccleaner i found a lot of my disk was being used, even though i installed nothing?
>>
Is Script Safe a good alternative for No Script on Fire fox?

I'm moving to Chrome
>>
>>54494453
why?
>>
>>54494411
It creates like backups when updating windows and a lot of cache, it clears itself once in a while
>>
>>54494411
Virtual Memory (pagefile.sys)
and Hibernation (hiberfil.sys)

To remove Hibernation go into command prompt and type powercfg -h off, this will remove hibernation mode and delete hiberfil.sys, which is known to take up a lot of space because it needs to save the current state of the computer for whenever you need to go into hibernation mode, which I don't think anyone does anymore.

Wouldn't recommend downsizing your pagefile because that's just in case you run out of memory and have to use Virtual Memory, if you must then right click my computer / this pc, go to properties, click on advanced system settings on the left pane, click settings... under prformance on the advanced tab, click the advanced tab and click change... under virtual memory, untick automatic page file and set your page file to a specific amount.
>>
>>54494477

It's too sluggish now
>>
File: 1438352192438.png (10 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1438352192438.png
10 KB, 300x300
Is it at all possible for software to make WiFi connection weak?

I got a new phone the other day, WiFi worked fine and I was without issues. I went to root it and flashed some stock, rooted files with no other changes and for some reason, ever since, my WiFi signal on my phone is really poor. Most of the time it shows zero bars and sometimes I pick it up and it's just not connected at all and takes a while to connect again.

I'm not sure if it's my WiFi or the phone itself. Any ideas? One thing to note is that I'm in the UK and the stock image I flashed was more of a generic one as opposed to a UK one, but that supposedly shouldn't matter

What's the problem here?
>>
File: 19e6xt4iy16iijpg.jpg (73 KB, 500x339) Image search: [Google]
19e6xt4iy16iijpg.jpg
73 KB, 500x339
>>54494492
>Mfw the developers are all probably using SSD computers
>>
Do they make mini mother boards for older CPUs?
>>
Yo so i have a folder thats about 15 gb of images, and when i try to open it windows is just crashing exploere.exe. Its also not opening any folder in the directory and just doing the same thing.

What do?
>>
>>54494723
mATX? depends how old
>>
File: ohshit.jpg (82 KB, 575x345) Image search: [Google]
ohshit.jpg
82 KB, 575x345
>oh boy more recruiter emails
>oh shit this isnt normal
>told me to send in my resume for a Lead engineering Role
>with amazon web services

Now, i'm sending in my resume. but whats the proper thing to do for my current employer?

I love the company i work for, but If this is an opportunity i can use to eventually work for big blue, or some other major company, i'm fucking taking it.

Should i tell my boss i sent my resume?
or should i wait until if/when they send me an explicit job offer?

also, do any of you fucks have experience working for amazon?
>>
File: networkingcomputing.png (5 KB, 166x127) Image search: [Google]
networkingcomputing.png
5 KB, 166x127
>>54494724
*actually it appears that even right clicking the folder "pictures" causes explorer to hand up
>>
>>54494736
It would be for an Intel core 2 quad 2.66
The smallest motherboard available either used or new
>>
I wanted to get one of those tablets that comes with a keyboard attached, transformerbooks or whatever they call them now. Can anyone recommend a good one?
>>
is there a way to get Webm to play on edge? any time I click one it just shows black screen with "Invalid Source"
>>
>>54494792
There's a number of LGA 775 mini ITX motherboards on ebay.
>>
All kinds of shit isn't working anymore on my old pc, and I was considering reinstalling Windows 7 on it. However would upgrading to Windows 10 essentially work the same as replacing broken files like with a clean install?
>>
>>54494971
a clean install yes, but the question is telementry + cortana worth it?
>>
>>54494985
> a clean install yes
To put it explicitly you are saying that using the upgrade tool works the same as a clean install (besides the other files on the system)?

> but the question is telementry + cortana worth it?
I do not care about those
>>
>>54495021
it should

you should
>>
If I use the "permanently decrypt" option of Truecrypt, run the Windows 10240 -> 1511 update, and then re-encrypt the system drive, won't that make some of my files recoverable since they've been on the SSD in an unencrypted state?
>>
Can CCCP and KCP be installed on the same device?
>>
>>54495092
I'm asking because that update has to be run using the media creation tool, which doesn't seem to work with TC.
>>
>>54494781
Probably because it's trying to load all the thumbnails at once which it can't handle.

Right click Pictures go to Properties, go to customize, change optimization for General Items
>>
>>54495125
Oh didn't read that right clicking also crashes it

Fuck how about going to C:\Users\YOURPROFILE\ and seeing if you can right click there
>>
Can a virus spread thro virtual box to my OS?
>>
>editing video
>suddenly mouse stops working, though still powered
>take it out and plug it back in, still doesn't work
>restart pc, still doesn't work
>plug in other mouse in other USB port, also doesn't work, does work on laptop
>mouse hardware tab is empty
>boot into safe mode, still doesn't work
>device manager shows no mice
>shows HID-compliant device, HID-compliant consumer control device and two Usb Input Devices under a tab called "Human Interface Devices"
>try updating drivers both manually and online of both HID compliant components, still doesn't work

>tons of different things said online about how to solve it ranging from uninstalling drivers to all USB hubs and HID compliant devices, to things like using msconfig

What's the actual correct way to deal with this shit? Didn't install anything recently other than the new driver for my GPU a few hours before that.

tl;dr how fix mouse not working due to HID compliant device
>>
I'm a noob trying to write a Python script, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to use OOP concepts the right way for this.

THE PROBLEM: Need to parse many files of the same structure and write new files with data modified from the original. Files will all be parsed the same, but depending on the header data in the file, the OUTPUT file will need to be written in different ways.

WHAT I'M THINKING: Need to write a base class with common functions, especially involving parsing the header, since they will all be the same. But then, need to write classes that INHERIT from the base class, which include the mode-specific stuff.

I feel like that's wrong, because if there could be 20 different ways a file may need to be output, that means creating 20 different classes? That doesn't feel right.
>>
>>54495158
It is possible, if you have shared storage or shared networking enabled.

>>54494307
Yes, you can get a SATA to USB adapter for cheap. Many of them will say it's for hard drives, but it all works with any kind of drive.
>>
>>54494210
There's no easy way (no specific python library) to do this. I had to do something similar; it was easier to do a two-step process where I output to HTML, then used an HTML-to-PDF standalone program. It was janky but it was the best way I could find.

You could also look in to LaTeX
>>
>>54495144
Nah, pics are stored on a different drive not under the users folder.

Tried doing it for the location like you said but nothings happening. Tried degragging the disk as well, nothing
>>
>>54495291
Sweet, internal drives was a mistake. It also nets me a free sata cable then lol
>>
>>54495389
the idiot proof way would be to boot on LiveUSB and start moving files around, maybe 3GB in each folder

or the otherway is have a script do that
>>
Why is 4chan better than Reddit?
>>
File: Powered-by-super-eurobeat.png (115 KB, 2048x524) Image search: [Google]
Powered-by-super-eurobeat.png
115 KB, 2048x524
3 144hz 1080p monitors or 1 144hz 1440p monitor?

I play racing games and ultrawide at 144hz seems iffy.
>>
>>54495446
Anonymity
>>
>>54495446
Sometimes people need to be called faggots without getting downvoted
>>
>>54495446
Why are apples better than oranges?
>>
>>54495439
I was thinking so.

Couls it be an indexing issue when i changed the pictures location it tried to move the screenshots folder into the other drive but failed to.

>>54495446
Skipping the long history between the two anonymity and neutrality are the main points. Less moderated, or used to be as well
>>
>>54495446
You have to say something instead of downvoting if you don't like what the retard wrote
>>
>>54495449
1440p
>>
>>54495162
when I uninstalled the compliant device again, then reinserted the mouse, it seemed to flash up two instances of Razer Deathadder, one of which had the yellow triangle, the other being fine
though shortly after they disappeared again
>>
how to use roboto font in xterm? even when used with the Roboto mono font, text gets way too spaced out
>>
File: mice.jpg (287 KB, 789x703) Image search: [Google]
mice.jpg
287 KB, 789x703
>>54495162
>>54495689
>plug in the different mouse in a different slot again
>it registers
>it actually works fine

>try plugging deathadder in a different slot
>pops up and works fine for like 5-10 seconds, showing the left side of the image in device manager
>it stops working and it goes back to the right side

I have no fucking clue what's going on dude
>>
So I'm upgrading modems, and I need something that will work with comcast and preferably has a phone jack as well as ethernet. Any ideas on what I should use?
>>
In database design, isn't user.username redundant, just like product.product_name or address.address_street?

We know what we mean by username, and obviously user.name wouldn't work the same way. But still it feels a bit weird.
>>
>>54495860
Pretty much any DOCSIS 3.0 modem should work
Why do you want a phone jack on a cable modem?
>>
Why does my windows 8 oem key work on everything i use it on? I must have used it on at leadt ten pcs by now.

Same with my officr 2010 key, which says it shouldn't work after 4 uses
>>
File: gone.png (37 KB, 1052x352) Image search: [Google]
gone.png
37 KB, 1052x352
I can no longer see thumbnails for playlists on youtube. Using Chrome and I have turned off all extensions and cleared cache and cookies related to youtube and still nothing. Yet if I go incognito they reappear.

Any suggestions at all?
>>
>>54495905
Bc we still need a home phone. For some reason
>>
Been transitioning to exclusively linux, going to be getting an s7. Is it a pain to manage music, media etc?
>>
File: Untitled.png (68 KB, 934x660) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
68 KB, 934x660
Is there any chance that the truecrypt software will become so outdated, unsupported and insecure that finding out passwords will be much easier? I'm trying right now to get into a file a friend sent me years ago, and either of us remembers the pass. It'll take a month to go through all possible passwords 4 characters long, then it'll take MUCH longer for the next set. This doesn't give me much hope getting in.
>>
I have a very unusual microphone problem. I don't have a slightest idea what might be causing it.

I have an Asus 1015pn, and my internal and external microphone doesn't seem to work. I tested the external microphone on my brothers laptop and it works fine. When I try to record something on my laptop there is only static (both on internal and external).
The really confusing part is the fact, that the same thing happens under Win7, Ubuntu 14.04 and whichever OS I boot from a flash drive. I also have two different external USB sound cards (they have the same chip though), which work on my brothers laptop, but if I try to record something through them on my netbook, the same thing happens as with my original sound card.
To add salt to the injury, very rarely and totally at random (at least I can't determine what it's related to) when I boot up my Ubuntu and plug in the microphone, it somehow works. Usually there is noise in the background.
The problem started about 2 years ago.

Any ideas?
>>
File: Capture1.jpg (85 KB, 1187x454) Image search: [Google]
Capture1.jpg
85 KB, 1187x454
I want to purchase a non-pirated Windows 8.1 from Ebay, costs like £10.

Are they legit or are they feeding me shady MSDN/TechNet/Volume licences and it will stop working in the future?
>>
>>54496175
>I want to purchase a non-pirated Windows 8.1
lol
>>
>>54496137
install gentoo
>>
What is the best RSS reader for android?
>>
>>54496194
>costs like £10.
C'mon now.
>>
File: room.png (45 KB, 2178x783) Image search: [Google]
room.png
45 KB, 2178x783
Would you prefer placement A or B for a desk in a bedroom?
>>
>>54496240
B
>>
>>54496240
B
>>
>>54496240
B

but rotate your bed so you can get comfy and watch some live-action non-cartoons at night
>>
>>54496240
A. Gotta keep that tan even and those tootsies warm
>>
>>54496252
>>54496256
>>54496271
Thanks. I could rotate the bed but it would be very far from my desk if I placed the back against the far left wall. Right now I have a small laptop to watch things at night

>>54496300
Thanks. The next few months I'll be trying to cool my room down but I think both have my chair close enough to the window to let the breeze in
>>
>>54495968
Convince your mom to call you upstairs for dinner via Google Hangouts, then ditch the landline.
>>
>>54496349
Yeah that should be fine. And the window wouldn't do much good if you had to turn 90 degrees just to see it
>>
File: 2612.jpg (70 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
2612.jpg
70 KB, 500x750
>>54495412
Don't forget to go fuck yourself
>>
Tried to ask leddit for help but they rejected me because "muh masterrace"

So, my 3TB HDD is failing at the moment since it's begun to make some funny noices recently.
So Im looking at the 8TB Seagate Archieve as an replacement, but people have said it isn't good for gaming at all. I got 900GB of games and around 2TB of films.
So what do you lads think? I got my OS on an seperate SSD of course.
>>
What is the best software to "setup a virtual room" with items? It needs a huge library of items and the ability to measure items in cm/m.
>>
>>54496553
You're stupid to buy 8TB in a single drive.

Buy two 4TB drives and Raid 10 them. You'll still only have 4TB of functional storage, but that's the not-retarded option.

>>54496573
Microsoft Hololens
>>
>>54496573
sketchup
>>
>>54496603
Aye, a fair point if the 8TB fails.

But it's also more expensive to get 2x 4TB than 1x 8TB at the moment, at least here. So I can't afford it.

Do XXXXrpm and Read/Write times have much saying when it comes to gaming?
>>
>>54496638
Slower drives will have slower loading times.
>>
File: spec01.png (368 KB, 752x1136) Image search: [Google]
spec01.png
368 KB, 752x1136
Which fan setup is better, or is it exactly the same?

For reference, there's a limited amount of free space behind my pc before it hits a solid object

Red is CPU cooler
>>
>>54496718
If your CPU cooler exhausts upward I would just have the two exhaust fans on the top
>>
>>54496718
''Whatever'' was the answer Luke came to.
>>
>>54496718
B is better, if you place a fan under the GPU blowing the hot air exhausted by the GPU to the top near the rear fan it will be even better.

Higher temperatures are always caused by poor exhausts forcing the CPU/GPU to use hot air, as long as you can exhaust the hot air, cold air will find a way to get in.
>>
File: WP_20160504_19_45_37_Raw.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160504_19_45_37_Raw.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
So virtualization and VT-d are both enabled on my motherboard, and my CPU supports them, but both VT-x and VT-d are gone from both GPU-z and Intel's identification utility.

Does anyone have a clue what's up ? Is my motherboard being a faggot ?
Do I need to RMA my motherboard maybe ? Or my CPU ?
Also does anyone know what's up with my FSB running 97 MHz even though it's set to 100 MHz ? I know it's supposed to fluctuate a bit, but 3 MHz too low is... What.

Motherboard is an MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, by the way.
>>
>>54496680
Loading times I don't care about desu.
Any other thing than that? The 8TB drive is 5300RPM with 190/150 Mb/s while my 3TB is 210/156Mb/s.
Is there any noticeable difference?
>>
Uhh...hey guys. Completely unrelated, but I'm fairly dumb when it comes to computer hardware. Can any of you link me to a site/sites with thorough explanations of all the components and well...all the essential information one needs to get started?
>>
>>54496840
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=computer+hardware
>>
>>54496240
bed in the bedroom, computer in any other room
>>
>>54496870
I thought you guys might have something fancier than wikipedia, but okay.
>>
>>54496137
anyone?
>>
>>54496840
check out logicalincrements
>>
Any good proxy add-ons for Firefox? I just need to be able to change my location for youtube videos that are blocked in my country.
>>
>>54496958
can't you just use youtubereplay to get around those?
>>
>>54496240
C, move closet and have desk next to the door.
>>
>>54496111
Buy a quantum computer.
>>
File: torrent-35655_1280.png (277 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
torrent-35655_1280.png
277 KB, 1280x1280
I'm going to change my torrent client, from uTorrent to Deluge. How can I make uTorrent generate the .torrent files from the files loaded in the program, so I can "import" them on Deluge?
>>
>>54496240
just use your laptop while lying on a bed like every other neet
>>
>>54496111
>help, truecrypt is working exactly how it should
>>
File: True Crypt NSA.jpg (138 KB, 632x594) Image search: [Google]
True Crypt NSA.jpg
138 KB, 632x594
>>54496111
It is already outdated, unsupported and insecure, mate. If you use the last version, which has the NSA flaw inserted, you are fucked.
>>
any latest way to cheat facebook page likes and instagram followers?
>>
>>54496111
nice try FBI
>>
>>54497597
FBI can't break Truecrypt, only NSA.
>>
>>54497666
That's what he meant by "him and his buddy".
>>
>>54497391
OK, where?

>>54497504
>even though X is not supported, there is no value in asking how long before it becomes impractical to use

>>54497528
I don't want to encrypt files, I want this one file decrypted to see what's on it

>>54497734
The NSA is not my buddy [spoiler]although I do find their mass drag net of meta data attractive[/spoiler]
>>
>>54497734
No, he said:
>nice try FBI
not
>him and his buddy
>>
>>54497391
http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?1382190_g10e

Oh wow, free shipping. That's nice.
>>
>>54497754
>OK, where?
D-Wave.
>>
>>54497793
>D-Wave
Maybe you should buy D-Wave in a bodybag
>>
File: explorer_2016-05-11_15-11-55.png (385 KB, 1737x879) Image search: [Google]
explorer_2016-05-11_15-11-55.png
385 KB, 1737x879
What the hell could I even utilize these speeds for?
>>
>>54497811
You can't, RAPID is more placebo than FLAC.
>>
I've got the url of a site a raspberry pi is hosting on my nearby school for maintaining a 3d printer.
Now, this thing is connected to the noip service, so I seem unable to find it's actual ip adress. Is there any way I can bypass this, so I get it's actual ip and can try to portscan/ssh/hackerman into it? Or am I being retarded and missing something completely obvious?

I'd like it to print dragon dildo's
>>
>>54493517
Is the wileyfox swift worth it? is there aything better for £130 that I can easily put cyanogenmod on
>>
Why is Linux so much more cozy than Windows?
>>
How important is RAM for gaming? Unfortunately 2 of my slots seemed to have died, currently I have 4GB installed. Do you think I'd experience any major difference with a game I can run fine excluding the RAM? I read an article that ran a few tests and showed negligible difference most if the time, but I respect /g/'s opinion.

The game in question is Total War Warhammer, if that matters
>>
>>54498007
illusion of control
>>
File: 1462458853996.gif (76 KB, 500x708) Image search: [Google]
1462458853996.gif
76 KB, 500x708
How do you use .gif images as background on Android?
>>
File: vidyas.jpg (40 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
vidyas.jpg
40 KB, 854x480
has anyone tried watching 3d porno with those google cardboard glasses?
>>
File: mLfNDIEvgUDVWmz1srqPDMQ[1].jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
mLfNDIEvgUDVWmz1srqPDMQ[1].jpg
6 KB, 225x225
My USB audio interface has two TRS outputs (L/R) for monitors and a TRS output for headphones. I want to use the bigger volume knob that controls the monitor outputs instead of the small one that controls the headphone output, can I use a double male TRS to female TRS cable and plug in my headphones in there?

pic related
>>
hey yall so this UEFI secure boot thing is preventing me from booting my linux live
is there a way to boot the linux live key without disabling secure boot, or will i have to disable it.
>>
>>54497423
you dont
>>
File: image.jpg (230 KB, 1093x1271) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
230 KB, 1093x1271
My Windows 8.1 license is about to expire.

Am I gonna have to update to Windows 10?

I might just update anyway for the windows store exclusive games and shit.

Are there any disadvantages on Windows 10 besides the botnet?

I don't do any weird shit on my pc so I'm not worried about that.
>>
>>54498073
Yes. What would you like to know?

>>54498132
It's the same shit with slight UI differences. Just update.
>>
>>54498132
As someone who uses Window 10, outside of the botnet and some processes not liking to close (Cortana can be a hungry greedy bitch and closing her is a nightmare) it's not bad. I find most of the new features useless and would've preferred windows 7 just because it was simpler. But outside of excess features I don't use, I have no real issue with it.
>>
Is there a way to have shared folders between host and client with Hyper V?
I'm looking to make a seed box in a VM, and it obviously needs to be able to transfer over to the host.
Would another VM software be better?
>>
File: 1462757547656.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1462757547656.gif
2 MB, 500x500
I want to buy a laptop for college, but I don't know what buyer's guides (if any) are worth trusting. I have a budget of around $1000, but I can go up if its necessary. My only caveat is that it needs to be able to run Photoshop without lag.
>>
My laptop has a very small hard drive. It's about the size of the current bitcoin blockchain. I had some fraction of a bitcoin(worth about $100). I installed bitcoin core and there was a key that I put into btc-e to withdraw that fraction of a bitcoin. I waited for a couple days while it downloaded 50gb worth of the blockchain(I didn't realize it was downloading anything) for that currency to show up and it never did. This was about 2 months ago, and now that I'm broke as shit, I REALLY need that money.

Is it gone, or do I need to have the whole blockchain downloaded for the transaction to go through?

Is there anyway to download the missing parts on an external hard drive? My boot drive is 80gb and my portable HDD is 2tb, so I've got plenty of room.
>>
Can someone devise a command which checks if the akonadiserver process is using more than 25% of CPU, and if it does it savagely murders it?

I'm thinking a combination of 'ps', 'grep', possibly 'sed' with a comparison of the output to the number 25. I'm too dumb to do this without an hour with Google though.
>>
>>54498201
Are you interested in workstation type laptops?
>>
>>54498055
literally the first google result
>>
Can Android boxes use flash drives?
>>
>>54498213
>do I need to have the whole blockchain downloaded for the transaction to go through?
yes
>Is there anyway to download the missing parts on an external hard drive?
no
>>
I tried on the web-design thread, but nobody helped me.

Any anons who know some CSS and use Appchan,
could you tell me what to put into the Custom CSS field in the settings>advanced in order to have one static 4chan banner of my choice, https://s.4cdn.org/image/title/119.png , instead of randomly changing banners?
Thanks in advance.
>>
What's a good laptop for around £500?

Thinking about buying a used macbook 2012, or maybe stretch a little and get 2013

if anyone's got any good used laptops around £500 which aren't macbooks? Also what's 1600x900 resolution like to use on a 14" screen with 2 windows side by side
>>
>>54498258
So is there nothing I can do?
>>
>>54498235
I'm taking Computer Science, so I suppose? College will be my first real dive into becoming more savy with this kind of thing.
>>
>>54497806
?
>>
>>54498092
What? It's not possible?
>>
>>54498351
You dont just reverse "generate" the torrent file. You most likely used magnet links anyway
>>
>>54498281
nope
>>
Thinkpad T61

switched to Debian

LXDE or KDE?
>>
>>54498379
Why it's not possible to generate the torrent file again? The uTorrent client has all the info about trackers, the file, etc. in the program.
>>
>>54496718
What fucking cooler did you get that goes up?
If you want to do that,flip your exhaust to intake
>>
>>54498414
If you get one of those 150CFM Noctua, or that other brand i forgot the name of which goes even more full retard with speed and intake,
then let alone up, the air going in will make the god damn case go up.
>>
>>54498288
If you want to have a laptop that can do high performance editing you should get a workstation like a Lenovo W series or a Dell Precision
>>
>>54498395
XFCE
>>
>>54498452
I've got 5 of these badboys
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835706015

Sounds like a jet fighter on take off,and a constant hair dryer on idle,but everything is cool as fuck.Heat is dissapated immediatly
>>
>>54498493
Yep, that's the retardation i was talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dcj7tB4NCk
>>
>>54498170
is it any better vs just watching a normal screen?
>>
>>54498485
thanks for nothing anon
>>
>>54498529
holy shit sounds like an F1 car on first gear hahahah
>>
>>54498223
Alright, I've come this far:
ps -ux | grep akonadiserver | grep -Po '(?<=user ).*(?= \?)'

How do I finish this?
>>
can anyone help me find a torrent of office 2003?
>>
>>54498676
WHY?
>>
>>54498676
use libreoffice, it can save and open office formats
>>
>>54498760
>>54498744
mates it's not for me, one of my friends has to finish his paper i literally told him do it on google drive or use libreoffice and he's computer iliterate so he didn't want to lmao
>>
>>54498624
But my pc stays cool.Just have a copper block from other fan on the cpu. took off the nb/sb coolers.
Werx for me
>>
>>54498633
Make an rc/systemd script that pulls from cpupower or similar
>>
how difficult should it be to install an io shield? I am trying to install an asus board and its giving me huge problems. All of the inputs fit in the shield, but they do not align perfectly and they force the board to move slightly slanted.
>>
>>54498808
fuck him in the ass then

teach him a lesson he'll never forget
>>
>>54498855
I'm probably too stupid for that. The only thing missing for me is isolating the percentage of CPU usage in the output I have now, then comparing it to the number 25.

I was thinking of just making a cronjob which checks every 5 minutes or something
>>
What HTTP status code should I return if the request is rejected due to time of day reasons (i.e. outside of normal operating hours?)
>>
>>54498938
:,) i probably should

I strongly believe people should learn to adapt and learn from their mistakes, but I can't stop helping people. I feel naive about it sometimes, but it's all good, I'll keep looking.
>>
>>54498957
Why would you want to kill the server,if it is only using the resources that it requires,to server your current uses?
>>
>>54498034
It depends on how much RAM you use/need in order to run your game.
While speed makes a negligible at best difference, the system will choke if you try to use more RAM than you have installed. If you didn't regularly exceed 4GB before, you won't notice any difference. But if you did, you may want to invest in a couple 4GB modules to at least get 8GB.
>>
>>54498972
Enjoy being taken advantaged of,in your personal life,and heavily in your proffesional life.
>>
>>54499007
you're probably right

i guess it's a little different because these are my classmates i often help and i'm about to graduate. whoever i help has helped me at some point, we cooperate like that, but some people have really proven themselves to not give a fuck about anything, they keep being incompetent and unreliable with everything they're supposed to do... i mean they /are/ my friends, but i doubt i'll work with any of them on anything serious aside from a few exceptions
>>
>>54498992
Because it's enough to heat my laptop up to 80-90 degrees Celsius and slows down other shit that I might be doing.

I've only had this problem on openSUSE, but if I make that script the problem will be solved.
>>
>>54499088
>making hacky script instead of facing the real problem
>>
>>54499065
>being incompetent and unreliable with everything they're supposed to do
Like your friend,who dosent have any text editing, this far in to his education
enjoy being cuck'd all your life
>>
On windows is there a way to bypass the volume limit? Some youtube videos are quiet and I'd like to crank up past 100% in youtube and in my computer and my headphones are cheap and don't have a volume control.
>>
>>54499105
I tried to face the real problem. As far as I can tell after hours upon hours of Google, there is no real problem, or at least there is none that can be solved.

Besides, killing it in cold blood always works without fault. The only thing which sometimes suffer is Kmail.
>>
>>54498999
It's an old motherboard which seems to be the impetus of my issues. Warhammer Calls for 8gig minimum so I'm hoping that my 4gb doesn't render the game unplayable. I actually thought I should have 8gb since I have two 2x2 sticks inserted but windows only reads 4. I'll try to find my motherboard model and see what it supports
>>
>>54499182
Why run it in the first place,if it does nothing you want,because you're easily killing it out of the blue,when it could be doing things?
>>
>>54499194
make a swap till you get ram
>>
>>54499201
I can disable it and still have kmail working?

Bare in mind that it doesn't always drain lots of resources when it's up and running.
>>
>>54499134
>enjoy being cuck'd all your life
we'll see about that. realizing the issue was the first step, i just have to grow a pair and learn how 2 say N O

thank you anon this has been therapeutic even though you called me a cuck
>>
File: 1451921451428.jpg (67 KB, 416x508) Image search: [Google]
1451921451428.jpg
67 KB, 416x508
>>54499264
>>
File: build.png (99 KB, 675x815) Image search: [Google]
build.png
99 KB, 675x815
building a computer for my mother, i'm only hung up on the motherboard because I need something with 2x case fan headers and I'd like something with a good amount of USB's but most cheap mobos are lacking.

Any suggestions? Build so far is pic related
>>
would anyone happen to know how to change the color of bspwm preselection as well as making it not take up half of your currently focused window?
>>
File: doyouwanttoopenthisfile.png (13 KB, 466x321) Image search: [Google]
doyouwanttoopenthisfile.png
13 KB, 466x321
Anyone else using Windows 10 insider previews here ?
And if so, is anyone else having trouble with Windows now asking if you're sure that you want to open almost any random goddamn file, even with UAC disabled ?
Pic related, currently on build 14342
>>
>>54499364
Open group policy editor (gpedit.msc).
Go to User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Attachment Manager.
Set the following settings:
>Do not preserve zone information for attachments: Enabled
>Default risk level for file attachments: low risk

See how this works
>>
>>54498967
There isn't one that explicitly meets your criteria. Consider these:

High Tier
410 Gone
503 Service Unavailable

Mid Tier
202 Accepted
403 Forbidden
409 Conflict

Low tier
204 No Content
>>
File: 1462301884838.jpg (103 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1462301884838.jpg
103 KB, 1000x1000
What is the best way to view .gifs in Windows 7?
>>
>>54499477
>410 Gone
>Indicates that the resource requested is no longer available and will not be available again.
Thank you though, it seems that 503 would be the best one to use.
>>
>>54498633
I have gotten further now:
if [ "$(ps -C akonadiserver -o %cpu --noheader | cut -c 2-6)" -gt "25" ]; then pkill akonadiserver; fi

I suppose this would be good enough if I have 'cut -c 2-3' since it will output an error if it's below 10 and otherwise not work if it's 100.

Unless I see someone improving this I'm sticking with it despite its flaws.
>>
>>54499477
410 Gone implies the content will never be available again.

403 makes the most sense as the content is only available when the time allows for it.

503 is acceptable as well but implies that the user did nothing wrong and that it's a server error (which it isn't).
>>
>>54499522
IrfanView.
>>
File: 1443133740800.gif (736 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
1443133740800.gif
736 KB, 600x338
Which smartphone should I get? Im not social and use it to browse 4chan. Currently using galaxy s3, I like it because of expandable memory and replaceable battery. Looking for something with least bloat and features named above
>>
What public tracker list do you use?
>>
>C or C++
Which to learn first?
>>
>>54499665
c obviously
all the object oriented shit just gets in the way when you are learning
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 640x616) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 640x616
Which is better, buying albums one by one or paying for a music subscription for an entire library?
>>
>>54499553
Aaaand it's solved. Instead of '%cpu' I can just use 'c', which means I don't need the 'cut' command at all.

I might be a genius.
>>
>>54499473
Done and done, but it made no difference. The problem still persists.
I'm wondering if I should report this as a bug
>>
>>54499722
The question should be, which is better for you?

An album might be a novelty and collectible, but besides giving you permanent access to one album forever it also takes up space.

A subscription will give you access to a lot as long as you pay for it while taking up no space, but depending upon how much of a music buff you are and how much you use the service it might not pay off in the long run.

The choice is yours.
>>
>>54499716
I was told by my professor to do the opposite. He basically said that once you learn C++, you can move down the list to other languages with little effort.
He recommends C++ for first time programmers. I've had some experience with Python and Java in the past but never really was proficient. Trying to get back into it so that's why I'm asking.
>>
File: scrolling.jpg (76 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
scrolling.jpg
76 KB, 800x800
Is there anything like Decentraleyes for Chromium?
>>
>>54499722
"buying"
Just pirate it like everyone else
subs are retarded and have shit quality,plus if you're without 4g/wifi you're fucking and have nothing to listen too
>>
Is it a good ideal to buy a used motherboard?
>>
>>54499915
Sure, why not.
>>
Are there any large external hard drives (2tb+) that are compatible with creating a backup disk image on Windows 7?
>>
Does anyone know how to use Imagemagick?
I'll be here the next 20 minutes.
>>
>>54499981
Yes,i do.
>>
File: 91wN1wFlqzL._SL1500_.jpg (314 KB, 1338x1500) Image search: [Google]
91wN1wFlqzL._SL1500_.jpg
314 KB, 1338x1500
Is there a better option for cheap (<$40) CPU coolers than 212 Evo?
>>
File: test.png (29 KB, 692x1010) Image search: [Google]
test.png
29 KB, 692x1010
>>54499991
I have images like pic related, but in various sizes and content.
I want to crop the bottom part of the image away, so that it stops right after "Proceed to the placements".

My idea is to find the coordinates of the first instance of the blue color. And then use that Y coordinate to perform a crop operation.
I will post a second image in a sec
>>
>>54500048
just use convert -crop <dimensions> <file>.jpg
>>
>>54499571
>403 Forbidden
>The request was a valid request, but the server is refusing to respond to it.
The request isn't a valid request; if it was, it would be done during the time allowed to make that request. However,
>503 Service Unavailable
>The server is currently unavailable.
This implies only that the server is unavailable.
>>
File: test.png (801 KB, 692x1010) Image search: [Google]
test.png
801 KB, 692x1010
>>54500048
>>54499991
Here's a second sample.
This one has a red text at the bottom with the unique color rgb(221, 68, 67).
I want to crop the remaining space at the bottom of the image away, so that it is cropped past the color.

Note that the background can be anything (because of userstyles) and the amount of crop-content is also always different. What stays is the color of the text at the bottom, which is why I want to find its coordinates, and then use the Y coordinate to crop the bottom part away.

>>54500097
I've already used this, but I can only crop at 700x5000+0+0 for example. A static value.
What I need is something like 700x(RightBelowLastText)+0+0.
>>
>>54500144
The request is valid. It's using a correct API, using correct syntax, trying to access data that could in fact be there. It's just that there are rules to making these requests, and those weren't followed.
By that logic having 403 would be pointless in nearly every situation because "trying to access files without being logged in" would also be an invalid request. Instead, you get a 403 error.

503 really means a service outage. I'm going to change my mind and say that it's really not acceptable in this situation. This should only be used if you're actually taking the server offline outside of business hours.
>>
>>54499991
>>54500156
Here's also some pseudocode to explain what I want to do:

>coordinates = FindPixel(rgb(221, 68, 67))
>crop at 692x(coordinates+20)
>>
Why does AMDGPU drivers not support OpenGL 4. Also if they are going to, when?
>>
>>54500018
Well there's the new version of the 212, I forget what it's called.
But it's the best cooler as its price point, if you want something better you're gonna have to spend more.
>>
File: image.png (594 KB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
image.png
594 KB, 1242x2208
>>54499785
>>54499862
I have iPhone so just asking. My favorite radio app got fucked up anyways so just asking.
>>
>>54500271
As long as you're just asking.
>>
I only have a 250GB SSD (Samsung EVO)

Do I need the Intel Rapid Share Technology shizzle?
>>
>>54500233
After looking at the official specification (not the wikipedia page) it looks like you're correct. 403 is probably the correct status to return in this case.
>>
>>54500302
Yeah, just asking.
>>
I have 4 regular fullsize internal SATA HDDs and a laptop. What's the cheapest and dare I hope also somewhat travel-friendly way to be able to use all of those drives on my laptop?
>>
>>54500399
I was just asking if you were just asking. No worries.
>>
>>54500372
Its placebo
You can only load a 5mb binary so fast.Not that you will noticed it loading .2s faster
>>
>>54493517
what ultrawide monitor should I get? is there any new ones coming out soon? or should I get a refurb predator x34?
>>
What's the point of rooting your android phone? I use firefox and ublock to block ads. Am i missing out?
>>
File: Dell-U3415W-front-view.jpg (61 KB, 538x439) Image search: [Google]
Dell-U3415W-front-view.jpg
61 KB, 538x439
>>54500546
Dell U3415W
>>
>>54500617
rooting lets you edit the hosts file to block ads systemwide and it lets you install xposed to stop applications from sharing your information. yes, you are missing out.
>>
why would this guy upload a video of him breaking the law with so much personal information available in the video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45UHhT8-CW0
>>
How do I add a font like this in html and css? Is there a similar font like this in Google Fonts?

http://www.1001fonts.com/press-start-font.html#styles
>>
>>54499150
look for a system wide equalizer and crank that up. or just get better speakers
>>
Here's my stupid question, just not sure how to accomplish what I'm trying to do / what my options are.
I'm trying to duplicate my main display unto my TV, is there some sort of HDMI that like, splits three ways to duplicate the Main monitor?
Tl;dr I'd like to have have three displays, my side monitor, and main monitor in extended display, while the main monitor is also displayed on the TV?
>>
>>54499653
Anyone?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.