[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/hpg/ - Headphone General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
http://pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>/g/ wiki headphone FAQ:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread: >>54379755
>>
>>54406599
Can we remove "Wireless is frowned upon" and "Headset requests are frowned upon"?

It just sounds elitist and doesn't convey why those things are considered bad. It's obvious by this point that there are plenty of people who don't read the pastebin, but at least it's useful enough to include in the OP. All those other things do is incite shitposting and ignorance when gamers come in asking for headsets and don't understand why they're generally considered bad.
>>
>>54406776
>It just sounds elitist
What would you suggest to replace it with to warn posters that asking for advice in regards to them is likely to result in negative responses? Because that is what is going to happen unless they are lucky enough to be ignored.
>>
>>54406776
Or are you suggesting to not even provide a warning and let them just be blindsided?
>>
>>54406807
I don't think anybody reads the wiki or it would probably get linked more often when someone asks those kinds of questions. I think other generals and boards get it right when they put a few images in the first few replies so that newcomers will read it. Or we can link the wiki because it's already completed. Either way is better than having the same shitfights over the same information and requests literally every thread.
>>
>>54406967
You are suggesting to leave no warning and just let them be blind-sided. No thanks. I'd at least do them the courtesy to provide some notice even if it might hurt their feelings because it sounds elitist.
>>
>>54406881
Not at all. The reason this general is shit on by the rest of the board is because of the blindsides. People come here just not knowing what good audio sounds like, and instead of helping the autists shit all over them for not knowing every little thing about something they've never encountered.

It's clear we need to change the way the information is presented, or the problem wouldn't still exist.
>>
>>54406776
Agreed, i've suggested that to vê chances before, it gives the impression /hpg/ os full ir elitist assholes, the response i got was someone being an asshole about it and saying that "it's the only way to keep plebs from starting arguments since they don't read the wiki".
For real, a simple "why se don't recommend wireless/headsets: link-to-pastebin" should be enough
>>
>>54406987
No. I am suggesting the exact opposite. That we stop treating newcomers to the hobby like parasites.
>>
>>54406998
>instead of helping the autists shit all over them for not knowing every little thing about something they've never encountered.
So the problem is not with what is in the OP or what the words in the OP sound like but with how anon post in /hpg/?
>>
>>54407010
>"why se don't recommend wireless/headsets: link-to-pastebin"
This.
>>
>>54407010
We were civil enough with the belgian shitposter vendetta, so we can certainly do this much without it destroying the threads.
>>
>>54407031
I'm sure you've seen yourself over the last few threads how many arguments end in accusations of autism and "CITATION NEEDED" by a few dedicated shitposters. It's clear that there are at least a few people who are guilty of these kinds of practices.

All we have to do to curb instances of this kind of thing happening is to link to the wiki, and update the infographics.
>>
>>54407065
>"CITATION NEEDED"
You say this like asking for an authoritative citation is a bad thing.

>All we have to do to curb instances of this kind of thing happening
You honestly expect changing the OP is going to change the behavior of the regular posters of /hpg/?
>>
>>54407102
>You say this like asking for an authoritative citation is a bad thing.
No. The inference was that you should ignore shitposters instead of engaging with them.

>You honestly expect changing the OP is going to change the behavior of the regular posters of /hpg/?
It can only help. The more we can do to improve the threads the less time that is spent berrating each other over minute details.
>>
>>54407174
>The inference was that you should ignore shitposters instead of engaging with them.
Perhaps I misunderstood but did you not equated "citation needed" with shitposting?

>>54407174
>It can only help.
It can and will do nothing. Wow. You really do believe changing the OP will change the behavior or the regular posters. That is a retarded belief. A seriously retarded belief. The regular posters read the OP even less than people coming here seeking advice and answers.
>>
So i upgraded to Beyer DT 250s from M50X. Is it me or does it feel kinda cheap for such expensive headphones.
>>
>>54407211
>Is it me or does it feel kinda cheap for such expensive headphones.
Price is no indicator of the quality of the headphones. I wouldn't be surprised if it does feel cheap.
>>
>>54407211
They're both mostly plastic so I'm not sure what the real difference is in terms of build quality. Unless they squeak audibly like some wing or suspension headband designs they're probably better than a lot of headphones.
>>
>>54407206
>It's retarded to believe that not engaging with shitposters makes every thread better.
Okay.

>>>/trash/
>>
>>54407283
You really do not see how foolish it is to believe something that is ignored by the regular posters is going to "engage" the regular posters in any way.
>>
>>54406807
>>54406881

There's nothing wrong with wireless headphones.
>>
>>54407313
Except they cost extra, require power, add complexity, have more stuff to break requiring a loss of use if not added expense to repair/replace, function on proprietary standards, compress sound which results in a degrade in sound quality. At best you will end up with sound quality that is almost as good as regular headphones.
>>
File: plasticband.png (2 MB, 1125x727) Image search: [Google]
plasticband.png
2 MB, 1125x727
>>54407271
>>54407254
I'm not sure if I'm being picky or something but i feel like they don't match the price tag. They're really light ,comfy and sound great so far though.
>>
>>54407339
>Except they cost extra, require power
Well no shit, they are fucking wireless, but my Sony bluetooth headset last like a fucking month on a single charge, 2 weeks if I use it more.
You said only cons, but the PROs are fucking fantastic confort, mobility and even being able to answer calls from them. You don't have problems when riding a bike or running with them.
Only people who sit their asses on their home would like non-wireless headphones more.
>>
>>54407479
If you didn't care for the sound. Why not just grab the whatever wireless headphone that you want? It won't make difference between cheap and expensive headphone if the most important element of headphone(sound) is always gonna be sacrificed.
>>
>Budget
like, around 20$
>Location
Ukraine.
>Source
PC, no external sound card
>Preferred type of headphone
Either open, or closed, doesnt really matter
>Comfort level
Doesnt matter
>Preferred music
post-grunge, indie rock
>Past headphones
none
pls help me im poor and i need some headphones for small amount of money [spoiler]thats actually not that small amount here[/spoiler]
>>
>>54408423
HD681 or Tascam TH-02 have good measurements for being cheap headphones
http://www.gearbest.com/headsets/pp_270782.html

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SuperluxHD681.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/TeacCTH02.pdf
>>
>>54408668
Generally like idea of HD681, but no Tascam in my region, something else ? Thank you kindl
>>
hook me hupugee

>under $100
>US
>full sized
>Open but I don't want it to leak so much sound that it'll be heard across the entire room
>high comfort long wear 3+ hours
>mostly for gaming and media
>all rounder for music
>>
>>54407479
>fucking fantastic confort
Any good wired headphone gives you the same.

>mobility and even being able to answer calls from them
If you don't mind compromising sound quality get a wireless adapter and you get those benefits _and_ the option to be uncompromising on sound quality.

>You said only cons
Perhaps because it was in response to someone stating something similar to there are no cons? What was it again?
>There's nothing wrong with wireless headphones.
>nothing wrong
>>
>Budget
Unlimited
>Location
Aus
>Source
Phone
In ear, or closed.
>Comfort level
Comfy, but not bulky. Need it for gym and running.
>Preferred music
Classic rock, pop, electro.
>Past headphones
Bose™ TrueSound™ Ultra in-ear, original Bose Truesound in-ear, Sony MDR-Z7
>>
>Budget: $60
>Location: U.S
>Source: Iphone/PC
>Preferred type of headphone: Full
>Open or closed: Closed
>Comfort level: med
>Preferred music: metalcore
>>
>>54408891
HD558

>>54409138
JH13Pro FreqPhase

>>54409190
Sony 7506 or CAL
>>
>>54409397
noice
>>
>>54409397
Are CAL good? I am the guy from the last thread with the budget under 50$, I heard a lot of bad opinions about them, some people were saying that after they got popular the sound quality got way worse.
>>
>>54409526
>Are CAL good?
or are you asking WERE CAL good? It's hard to say if any changes in the last batch or so affected the sound quality without using the newer ones. The one I had a couple years back was good. If you got one tomorrow would it be the same? I'd expect so but I cannot guarantee that there hasn't been a change with low budget cans.
>>
Is the MSR7 actually a barely noticeable increase over the M50?

I am looking for a replacement with a similar spirit to the M50, but with a decent increase in sound quality.
>>
>>54409563
Yeah, I know they were good, but some people here and on headphone forums say, that if you buy them you have to go for used ones, as the new batches got to shit after they got very popular.
>>
>Budget 100 usd but prefer below that
>Location usa
>Source phone mostly
>Preferred type of headphone over ear
>Open or closed no preferance
>Comfort level comfy as fuck
>Preferred tonal balance no preferance
>Preferred music classic rock, metal, and big band jazz
>>
How much it will trigger autists on head-fi?
>>
>>54409961
See >>54408891 and its response.
>>
>>54409967
Try taking a picture without the flash.
>>
There is a Coloud brand, and... umh... is it any good?
>>
>>54409967
How about taking

1 - Without flash
2 - Good lighting
3 - Fucking further away
>>
>>54409565
Similar how? Same bass? Better trelbe? More midrange? Similar could mean anything.
>>
>>54409967
You'll trigger more people at /p/ with that shitty picture.
>>
>>54409967
now buy a tube amp so you can trigger autists in /hpg/
>>
>>54410190
> tubes
>>
>>54410214
success
>>
>>54410190
Talk about low hanging fruit
>>
>>54409967
the file name should do it

in fact pretty much any subjectivity existing anywhere triggers them
>>
Please forgive me for knowing very little about headphones. Here's my criteria.

50 dollars or less
Closed
Med to high comfort
Current headphones are Turtle beach z22.
I'd like headphones that have some form of volume control on them. This is going to be used for gaming on PC.
>>
>>54410190
there is nothing more autistic than listening to your amp
>>
>>54410328
there's you though.
>>
File: my new iem.jpg (32 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
my new iem.jpg
32 KB, 800x600
Hey lads just wanted to post that my rha ma750 that some anon recommended came this morning and I have to say they are much much better than my skullcandy 50/50
>>
So i decided to get myself a decent pair of cans, and ended up getting the DT770's 80 ohm version,i'm pretty satisfied with my buy.
But it lacks a bit drive, what portable amp should i get for this pair of cans?
I've been looking at the Fiio e11k, any opinions, or should i stick with that e11k?
>>
>>54409967
I don't use a dedicated amp/DAC with mine either and they sound fantastic, but from my smartphone it sounds like shit, so I might actually get something for when I'm away from the computer.
>>
ath-m40x are on sale for 114 cad, should i cop?
>>
>>54410853
True. They are too much for smartphone not to say about abomination 6.3->3.5 jack adapter, but autism that head-fi spreading about they will not work without at least 1k amp is bullshit.
>>
File: soundlike2dollachinckheadphones.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
soundlike2dollachinckheadphones.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>54410081
Sorry anon, I am feeling too lazy to fiddle with DSRL right now. Will this work?
>>
>>54411033
HOLY KEK
>>
>>54411033
Mother of keks
>>
File: Chy2qh6XIAArpG5.jpg orig.jpg (163 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Chy2qh6XIAArpG5.jpg orig.jpg
163 KB, 1600x900
>>54409565
I just bought them today, coming from the M50.

They are noticeably better than the M50, much more detailed everywhere, and without the emphasised bass covering everything.

The reviews about the harsher mid-highs are exaggerated in my opinion. They're certainly heightened but not to the point where it results in the headphones being far from neutral. They're a lot more pleasant to listen to than the M70 for me too.

I don't know what you're really looking for though.
>>
>>54411033
top lel, also checked
>>
File: HD800professionalEQ.png (250 KB, 1130x1005) Image search: [Google]
HD800professionalEQ.png
250 KB, 1130x1005
>>54411033
I am using this EQ with them. Working like a charm.
>>
>>54411148
> harsh mid-highs
Don't take reviews/people that say these things too seriously. 90% of potential headphone buyers either look for a dark sound signature or a warm/veiled sound, which is the reason why HD650 and HD600 became so popular.
>>
>>54411033
>>54411574
I think this would work.

For best results put them in a front panel connected passive usb hub to a usb-3.5mm with a 3.5-6.3mm in that.
>>
File: image.jpg (163 KB, 1125x805) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
163 KB, 1125x805
>>54411574
Kek.
I'm doing subtractive EQ with settings like pic related but less 6k+ attenuation since mine have the SD mod.
>>
>>54411710
I am joking anon. I am not using EQ with them. They sound fine without tuning (even through integrated MB DAC with 40-75% volume as higher it is too much for my ears)ю
>>
I'm looking at measurements of several well known iems and i've noticed a pattern. For example this is the RHA T20's frequency response.

Why is there such a huge peak at 5k and a sudden drop off? Am i reading this graph wrong?
>>
>>54411847
I figured, that's why the kek. I don't think they really 'need' EQ either, especially after the mod, but it doesn't hurt to try and get that frequency response flattened out for the fun of it. The dip between 1~4k is a tad much for my liking, and I figure it's a good idea to boost it if nothing else.
>>
>>54411148
>>54410158
I'm just looking for a solid, all-around headphone like the M50 has been for the last 4-5 years. Comfort is a possible issue I've been hearing can be a problem with the MSR7, on top of the head specifically. I've never had memorable problems with my M50, and I'd like to keep it that way with future headphones.
>>
>>54412885
Top of the head seems accurate, but they happen to be a perfect fit for me.

I wouldn't recommend if you have a large head at all, they clamp hard too.
>>
>>54412900
>I wouldn't recommend if you have a large head at all, they clamp hard too.
Right, I think I have an average-size head. I'll try to get them on my head somewhere if possible. Thanks for your help.
>>
File: firefox_2016-05-06_22-19-41.jpg (123 KB, 1370x782) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-05-06_22-19-41.jpg
123 KB, 1370x782
>>54412943
Here I took this for you to compare vs the m50

They're actually fairly similar if you imagine where they'd both sit on your head.
>>
>>54410547
You're welcome.
>>
>>54413021
Ah that's great thanks. They look a lot wider across the top. I saw a review where the guy was basically folding them in half to get a tighter bend.
>>
/g/ I realised when I turn my interface (ur22mkii) down my k712 are more detailed than when it's louder. Does this mean I need a headphone amp?
>>
File: mdrxd200.jpg (6 KB, 300x233) Image search: [Google]
mdrxd200.jpg
6 KB, 300x233
Hey /hpg/, massive pleb here

I have been using an old pair of Sony MDR-XD200s, got them at least 6 years ago.

I'm looking to upgrade my headphones, as well as get a decent pair of earbuds for travelling.

What do you guys recommend? Here is my filled-out template from the OP:

>Budget
< $150 for cans, < $30 for earbuds, both are hard limits
>Location
US
>Source
Desktop computer and phone
Full sized for headphones, don't know much about earbuds
>Open or closed
Fine with either. I feel that I would prefer open a little more, but I don't really know.
>Comfort level
Very comfortable. I want a very comfortable pair of headphones and earbuds, even if sound quality suffers a little.
>Preferred tonal balance
Don't know much about this
>Preferred music
dadrock, synthpop, eurobeat, techno
>Past headphones
Sony MDR-XD200
>>
>>54412060
Where are you getting the measurements? What are you looking for? The spike at 5khz is only 3db or so, I'd be more worried about 2k-3k.
>>
>>54412060
>Am i reading this graph wrong?
No, but-
>i've noticed a pattern.
>Why is there such a huge peak at 5k and a sudden drop off?
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that you've looking at more than a few measurements by DIY(and Veritas) couplers. Those couplers have great difficulty in obtaining a response representative of the result in the ear.

The coupler has to present a proper load impedance to the earphone. Not too difficult to get in a reasonable range for headphones, but this requires a much more intricate set up for measuring earphones.
>>
>>54413678
Sennheiser hd598
>>
Alright so I recently snagged Sony MDRZ7's for $210.

What's a good AMP/DAC to pair with it? They're 70Ω/1khz

I live in the USA.

Something no more than $150 please if possible.
>>
>>54413770
Looks good, thanks for the suggestion

What about earbuds?

Anyone have other suggestions?
>>
>>54413658
>Does this mean I need a headphone amp?
Usually.
>>
>>54413678
Piston 3. Be wary of knockoffs. If you didn't have a hard limit I'd suggest the E10 which goes for $40.
>>
File: 1446902818245.jpg (55 KB, 422x418) Image search: [Google]
1446902818245.jpg
55 KB, 422x418
>Budget
$100, flexible
>Location
United States
>Source
Desktop PC
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
7-ish hours of use at a time
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
QPAD QH-90s

thanks for helping out a total shitlord, g
>>
>>54413767
Exactly the answer I was looking for. Yeah I'm just reading diy measurements from headfi. Must be the reason.
>>
>>54413779
Those are sensitive as fuck so they won't need an amp. $150 gets you a schiit modi, but it depends on what device you're running them from because it also gets you the mobile dacmagic xs from cambridge audio.
>>
>>54413862
Thanks. I've heard the k712 needs an amp, and the sensitivity seems to indicate as much, as well as the innerfidelity graph. I've just not had to use one before.
>>
File: 082.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
082.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
I'm hoping someone can help me identify these earbuds. I found them in a hallway a few years back and to be honest, it's one of the best pairs I've ever owned. The channel is deep and the audio is pure. (Yes I own a decent pair of over-ears, that's not the point) There aren't any makers' marks anywhere on or in them, so I know it's not probably some big name brand. I want to replace them with a newer model because one ear is broken. (The other one still sounds f-ing incredible)
I apologize for rambling a little.

TL,DR: anyone know what brand these are?
>>
>>54414050
Sennheiser hd280 or Sony MDRv6
>>
>>54414501
Give them back Jamal.

[spoiler]Memes aside good luck.[/spoiler]
>>
File: mdrx05-br.jpg (16 KB, 340x243) Image search: [Google]
mdrx05-br.jpg
16 KB, 340x243
>>54414501
As an aside, my over-ear headphones are Sony MDR-X05
I find them pretty comfy and they seem to have good audio.
How would you all rate them on a scale from: "sell those pieces of shit and buy X, to: pity the dead who can no longer enjoy such marvels"
>>
>>54414413
>Those are sensitive as fuck so they won't need an amp. $150 gets you a schiit modi
you don't fucking run any transducer directly from a DAC
>>
Do any of you guys get headphone fatigue extremely fast? When I chuck my headphones on for the first time of the day, music sounds fucking great and highly detailed... For about 10 minutes. Then it becomes a big muddy noisy muffled mess.
>>
>>54415319
What headphones are you using? What is your source device? What kind of files are you playing? At what volume are you playing your headphones?

No, that doesn't happen to me, nor should it. I can listen to several albums in a row without getting fatigue, but if I use my cheap $50 in ears I get fatigue after 3-4 songs.
>>
>>54415199
I don't even know why I said that. I need sleep.
>>
>>54415319
Get the most neutral headphones you can for you bugdet
Never play anything loud

I seriously don't understand how can anyone listen to headphones on a fiio e10k on maximum volume, sometimes even with high gain
>>
>>54415319
I avoid that by jumping genres frequently.
I would suggest cycling through genres in an order that doesn't clash but also isn't a perfect transition.
IE: classic / swing / electro swing / generic electronic genre / 80's music / non-shit, early 2000's pop / Weird al (fuck genre, he's beast) / random covers and parodies from there, depending on what cover/parody you chose, you can work back down and start the cycle again.
>>
>>54415368
HD600s running out of a Xonar DG/Oneplus One

>>54415391
I don't listen to my stuff loud at all. Only 20 in the Windows volume slider.
>>
i just ordered an hd668b
did i fell for a meme?

feel when no 8323 available in my shithole
>>
>>54414147
The coupler impedance is usually defined by the transfer function with test loads. If you look at the frequency response of the reference ear simulator and actual human ears(at reference plane), it curves exponentially until it peaks around 13 kHz or so. It is difficult for DIY to match the curve, but not impossible.

In general, DIY couplers underrepresent high frequencies. How much depends on the type of earphone and its own acoustic impedance.
>>
>>54415404
>running hd600s out of a phone and 30$ soundcard
>>
>>54415695
HD600 sound good on anything. A good amp would just make it sound better.
>>
>>54415712
not only could you not be more wrong, but it's absolutely pointless to buy $300 monitors to use them with a smartphone

could have just as well gotten something more efficient that would sound better for half the price
>>
Budget
£50 could go £70 max
>Location
England

>Source
Mostly pc
iem

>Comfort level
Ideally pretty comfortable
>Preferred music
No specific
>Past headphones
RHA ma600s okay but they kept breaking
Klipsch s4i favorite sound but not most comfortable
Rock zircon most preferred just because of how comfortable they are
>>
>>54415404
I have a DG sitting in my cupboard.

Care to guess why it's not in my computer any more?
>>
>>54415730
You're pretty retarded. I upgraded to HD600s from AD700s and they still sound much, much better out of my phone than the AD700s.
>>
>>54415774
and this is the problem with anecdotal evidence

AD700s are trash cans and the worst out of the AIR series, worse than even the 500s, but okay man keep driving studio monitors straight out the smartphone and telling others to do the same like some sort of audio mongoloid
>>
>>54415799
>and telling others to do the same
No one told anyone to do the same
>>
>>54415799
>worse than even the 500s

Absolutely epic trolling my fellow 9gagger.
>>
>>54415774
>bad scenario is better than worse

not the anon you're replying to but he's right

using hd600's from your phone/xonar dg is a bad idea because neither will do them justice, you'll just end up hearing the limits of your device instead of the best the headphones have to offer, which is likely where your listening fatigue comes from
>>
>>54415799
>keep driving studio monitors straight out the smartphone

You keep bringing this meme but I don't think you realize that being monitors doesn't have anything to do with how hard a pair of headphones is to drive to sound "good".
>>
>>54415807
>No one told anyone to do the same
Not more than half a dozen posts ago someone posted these exact words

>>54415712
>HD600 sound good on anything

Not the guy you're replying to, but would you care to re-examine your statement?
>>
>>54415821
the only point im trying to make

shp9500 or fidelio l2 would sound much better out of those devices than a hd600 for 1/3 and 1/2 the price, respectively

>>54415830
im pretty sure you get my point, but you can feel free to argue semantics if it makes you feel better
>>
>>54415821
Missing the point entirely.

Last guy said it's "pointless" to buy "$300 studio monitors" (which HD600 aren't - I bought them for less than $300 and they are not monitors) and I told him that they still sound much better than my last cans. What's "pointless" about that?

I guess I should forget about the obviously better sound quality of these cans and just sell them. I mean, the anonymous memester on 4chan told me they're pointless!
>>
>>54415830
Is this the part where you say as long as you're getting volume then you don't need an amp? You realise that too is a meme right?
>>
>>54415858
nice strawman bro, no one said the hd600 are pointless

they are pretty much as good as it gets for the price for near-field monitoring

if you're the same idiot who was originally crying about distortion from a distortion free phone, it's pretty obvious your source is the issue
>>
>>54415858
No you raging homocock loving arsefaggot.

First "monitors" is used in this instance to denote a pair of high quality headphones (and they can be and are used for mixing). The whole argument is that they won't sound very good unamped, which they don't. Better than ad700's maybe, but considering they're 2-3x the price depending on where you go, that's to be expected.

Let me make it simple for you - if you aren't using a headphone amplifier with your hd600's you're fucking doing it wrong.
>>
>hd600
lol
>>
>>54415901
>>54415890
What amp should I get? Doubt it'll help with the listening fatigue but you memesters insist.
>>
>>54415931
fiio e10k
>>
>>54415931
Fuck yourself. That's what amp you should get. We tried to be civil and instead you turned this into a shitfight because you can't comprehend the idea that you might be wrong.
>>
>>54415956
Little anon got mad
>>
>>54415956
lol you were acting like a nigger from the moment I entered the thread you lying piece of human trash, go stick a pineapple down your cockhole then get busted pederasting
>>
>>54415931
whats your budget? how portable does it have to be?

>>54415945
i dont think fiio shit sounds good with the 600s at all, the e series especially
>>
>>54415979
>i dont think fiio shit sounds good with the 600s at all, the e series especially
You forgot the "because..." part
>>
File: hd650.jpg (91 KB, 1099x730) Image search: [Google]
hd650.jpg
91 KB, 1099x730
>all this hd600 talk

plebs
>>
>>54415991
> exactly the same but with veil
Fantastic.
>>
>>54415974
Yeah sure is the fault of the guy trying to help you that you refuse to listen and then start throwing insults.

What's it like having full blown autism?
>>
>>54415986
lack the necessary current, sound comes out tinny and grainy

exclusively usb-powered shit should be avoided for these
>>
>>54416012
Are the K702 harder to drive than the HD600?
>>
>>54416063
cannot comment unfortunately, only AKG cans I've ever owned were K7XX and I used them exclusively with the O2 at the time, I thought it was fine through that
>>
>>Budget
>like, around 60€
>>Location
>Malta
>>Source
>PC (For gaming and spotify)
>>Preferred type of headphone
>Closed
>>Comfort level
>med-high
>>Preferred music
>pop, edm, bass
>>Past headphones
>A Razer Chacarates headset... (I know)
>I need the sound quality to be as good or better than the one I own right now, the only problem I have with the headset is that it connects with USB and these annoying static noises keep going off
>>
>>54416063
Yes. AKG is pretty infamous for needing an amp. Even the K7XX which has low imp and high sens needs an amp.
>>
>>54416063
Much.

If you want something that will drive basically anything you throw at it go for the O2 or schiit magni 2/uber.
>>
>>54416127
Can confirm from my experience with the k712 that they need amping to sound their best.
>>
>>54416140
I listened to them on e10k and they sounded pretty amazing
>>
>>54416090
>these annoying static noises keep going off
Sounds like razer.

Check out the beyerdynamic mmx2, they're 69 euro and come with a mic. They're on ear, not over ear though.
>>
>>54416177
Sure they were k702 and not one of the more efficient later models?
>>
>>54416230
It said K702 on them, how can I know the difference?
>>
>>54416240
The later ones are k712/k7xx.

Have you heard them on a stronger amp? Or just the e10k?
>>
>>54416283
>The later ones are k712/k7xx.
It was a 702

>>54416283
>Have you heard them on a stronger amp? Or just the e10k?
I tried them on the line out on the back. They sounded practically identical, just not as loud.
>>
>>54416330
what sounds good to you out of the e10k may sound like complete shit to someone who has heard them properly powered

thats why its all about perception and experience, and you can't just come in here and say "e10k is good for them"
>>
>>54416368
Does the line out use the amplifier from the headphone out?
>>
>>54416330
>I tried them on the line out on the back. They sounded practically identical, just not as loud.
What were you listening to? As in the source file/recording.

It sounds to me like it was a short listening session.
>>
>>54416397
no, line out bypasses the amplifier and uses only the DAC
>>
>>54416426
>What were you listening to? As in the source file/recording.
Flac files of gorillaz, peste noire, daft punk, birdy nam nam, drudkh, demon, nujabes, dj shadow, persona and random vaporwave on youtube,
>>
>>54416447
Then why did I find the quality difference so tiny between both?
>>
>>54416012
>lack the necessary current
How much current do they need?
>>
>>54416518
Ostensibly because you haven't heard them from a good amplifier.

Can't say without having heard them from an e10k though.
>>
>>54416518
probably because the amp in the E10K is so puny, seriously look at its output specs

>>54416573
i dunno, i'd have to try them with a wide variety of sources and currents to give you an exact number and theres no magic formula to calculate it either

anything above 200mW into 300 ohms should be good, but more power is always welcome

i really liked the 600s with the lake people solid states but those are out of the price range for most
>>
>>54416803
>probably because the amp in the E10K is so puny, seriously look at its output specs
The 702 can destroy anyone's years through that amp though. With high gain it goes loud enough to cause hear damage for long periods of time
>>
>>54416921
The question is though, all other things remaining equal do headphones only need volume to sound good? Or does amplification affect more than just volume?

If you can drive your headphones at loud volume but they lose all detail and sounds blur together chances are your amplifier is shite.
>>
As far as price to sound quality ratio goes, do you guys thing IEMS or closed fullsized headphones are generally better?

I currently use SHP9500s and I like them, but I need something with some isolation. My budget is around $100 and I'm trying to decide between headphones and IEMS. Looking at Takstar Pro80s or MDR v6s for headphones and VSONIC GR07 or RHA 750 for IEMS.

>Budget
~$100
>Location
USA
>Source
Sansa Clip
Not sure
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Good for a couple hours of continuous use
>Preferred tonal balance
Don't know.
>Preferred music
Indie and alt rock, shoegaze, classical
>Past headphones
SHP9500- Enjoy them for the most part but I think I would prefer more impactful bass.
>>
>>54417061
Different beasts entirely.

IEM's will sound more "in your head" than headphones. Closed headphones will sound more like the music is right in front of your face than open headphones. Open headphones will sound more like the music is in front of you than other headphones.

As for tonal balance it depends on how you like your music. If you like to hear microdetails like all the reverb and effects on electric guitars, and the difference in strumming techniques, or the fingers on a fretboard, then you'll want something neutral so it doesn't overpower those kinds of things. If you just want to feel the power of the bass and the tiny details are secondary, then you might want something bassier.

If the first sounds like you then full sized headphones are the go.

If the second sounds like you then either, but IEM's are going to sound boomier for the same price bracket and offer better portability, especially if you find a model with a profile that you can lie your head on your pillow and not feel it jabbing your ear.

V6's would be a good choice, along with sennheiser hd280 if you do go full sized.
>>
>>54417031
>sounds blur
It just sounds louder. Obviously at hear damaging volume they won't sound good. I listed to them at 2-3 on the volume knob out of 8 (starts at 0) in low gain. That was plenty loud
>>
File: 51fi3SXhz3L._SL1000_.jpg (25 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
51fi3SXhz3L._SL1000_.jpg
25 KB, 1000x1000
Can anyone please recommend me good IEMs that aren't the Etymotic? I see this brand being recommend a ton in most /hpg/ but they go extremely deep in the ear, it's so uncomfortable. Is there anything else more normal?

I'm looking for neutral
>>
What are you guys' favorite open headphones for under $100?
>>
>>54416063
its better
>>
>>54419477
yes hd600 is indeed miles better
>>
>>54417673
>neutral
This is very easily misunderstand term in many headphones. For some HD650 are definitive answer of sounding "neutral" for others, LCD-X is that target.

If you masturbate to graphs, judge the sound based on looking at them most of the time and make wallpapers of them then you will have very limited choice.

Your objective is to find out what is making you comfy and you are happy overall with the sound signature, that may take some time from switching from previous headphones to another to accommodate from what you were used to before.

The most comfortable universal IEM's on the market have Shure AFAIK. Their fit, foams and cable management is tip-top-tier and try to get an audition to try them out before buying.
>>
>>54408891
I have this same question except looking for Closed headphones
>>
File: Shit_taste_2nd_episode.jpg (213 KB, 1356x768) Image search: [Google]
Shit_taste_2nd_episode.jpg
213 KB, 1356x768
>>54416803
>>54416283
>>54416230
Since when have people here been endorsing the "more expensive amp = better sound" conception? K702 aren't as hard-to-drive as people claim, a Fiio E10K does a great job with them. Amp is just a matter of volume after all. I never turn the knob of the E10K above 4 out of 8 in low gain, the music is pretty loud and it's easy to hear all of the details.
>>
>>54420568
>being poor
>>
>It's far better to spend $500 on headphones and $100 on an amplifier than to spend $200 on headphones and $300 on an amplifier. Your headphones are much more important than your amplifier.

does /hpg/ agree with this statement?
>>
>>54420693
> believing that expensive gear gets you closer to the Nirvana hi-fi
>>
>>54420788
see >>54420693
>>
>>54420693
>being stupid
>hurr poorfags
>>
>>54421160
>being poor
>>
>>54406599

> Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation

yes it does

I don't think you know what noise is
>>
File: gew.jpg (162 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
gew.jpg
162 KB, 1366x768
Any weeb can help me out?
>Budget
$280
>location
United States
>PC
>Preferred Type of Headphone
full-sized
>preferred music
Denpa music, anime watching
>>
File: 1461184492856.png (413 KB, 506x600) Image search: [Google]
1461184492856.png
413 KB, 506x600
>>54421322
Open or closed, faggot?
>>
>>54421360
closed
>>
>>54421391
HP50 or MSR7. Depends on how you like your treble.
>>
>>54420443
any recs?
>>
>>54421402
Great thanks, is there a specific amp I should get for the MSr7?
>>
>>54421432
eddie current studio
>>
>>54421432
No.

>>54421417
XPT100
>>
>>54421202
How do you define the two?
>>
>>54421202
Perhaps a more salient question would be:
How do you define the process involved with the two? Is one passive and the other active?
>>
>Budget
~$50, fairly flexible
>Location
Canada
>Source
Tablet
IEM
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral, warm is ok as well
>Past headphones
I'm currently using HD558s which are fine.

Mostly I just want a comfortable pair of IEMs that don't sound like garbage that I can use to listen to ambient/idm/whatever while reading in bed. I like to lay on my side while reading so full-size headphones don't really work.
>>
>>54406776
>It just sounds elitist
4chan is an elitist website
That's what makes it good
>>
Seriously? I think my HD201's > HD202. I've owned a 202 a long time ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct7REn5VYdc
>>
>>54422670
And I still remember what it sounded like if you demo it here
https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/sennheiser-hd-202?in=sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/headphones-test
>>
File: IMG_20160412_1312004.jpg (4 MB, 5216x2934) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160412_1312004.jpg
4 MB, 5216x2934
>>54406599
I was in a bad motorbike accident. So I'm doing reviews to take my mind off things.

I did a in-ear headphone review for you guys

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OapEypb8dKQ
>>
>>54420777
no, it implies there's an audible difference between a $100 and $300 amps
>>
>>54414430
Amponly rises volume, no fuckin snakeoilditales
>>
My HD650s arrived today and hoooooly shit they sound so beautiful. I genuinely think that this might be the best thing I have ever purchased. It's like hearing all the music I love for the first time all over again.
>>
>>54423440
Remember this feeling. This might just be a "honeymoon period."
>>
>>54423440
I miss that feel as well
>>
>>54423440
> It's like hearing all the music I love for the first time all over again.
Does all of your music sound like a dark wall of sound?
>>
>>54423915
Is it fun regurgitating nonsensical memes about headphones you have never used?
>>
>>54423927
It's a fact that HD650 has a dark/veiled sound signature, nevertheless I can't blame people for not knowing how music actually sounds like if HD650 is the only "good" headphone they ever tried.
>>
>>54423440
you will get to experience it one more time when you get headphones that aren't muddy and actually have subbass
>>
>>54423965
>>54423976
>literally one of most acclaimed headphones of all time
>but 2 anonymous faggots on 4chan know better
>>
>>54424040
> most acclaimed
By whom? Where?
Only headfi folks unironically praise the HD650. The HD650 is simply a darker and more expensive HD600, which is darker, more veiled and definitely not an upgrade over its cheaper competitors. HD650 is like the meme-tier version of a meme headphone that only audiosnobs like and shill constantly on these boards.
>>
File: 1277143747020.png (61 KB, 252x221) Image search: [Google]
1277143747020.png
61 KB, 252x221
>Viper4Android doesn't have a DDC for Etymotic MK5s

Fuck my whole life up.
>>
>Budget
$150 at most
>Location
UK
>Source
PC
Full sized
>Comfort level
As comfortable as possible
>Preferred music
Hip hop, electro
>Past headphones
Ath m50s, soundmagic e10
>>
>>54424079
>calling something a meme when you use the "veiled" meme unironically
It's not looking good anon.
>>
>>54424104
> veiled
> meme
If you had personally compared the sound of a HD600 with the sound of its competitors, you wouldn't call "veiled" as a meme definition.
>>
>>54424085
>Open or Closed?
>>
>>54424085
DT770
>>
>>54424174
>sound of its competitors
Such as?
>>
>Budget
Around 100$, don't wanna go too high
>Location
Croatia
>Source
PC and low-budget guitar amp
Full-sized and closed
>Comfort level
Comfy pls
>Preferred music
Metal, folk, ambient, electro stuff, etc.
>Past headphones
Steelseris siberia v2 - served their purpose well, but the cable got fucked up pretty quickly

I basically need something with a mic thats good for both music and playing vidya
>>
>>54415319
Have you tried listening to a frequency sweep or series of tone pulses at moderate volume?

If some parts of the sweep or some tones sound significantly louder to your ears, EQing those frequencies down might help against fatigue. I find some headphones very fatiguing as well, and EQing down 5-6 kHz usually fixes it for me.
>>
>>54428076
Beyerdynamic mmx2
>>
>>54429531
Are there any measurements of it?
>>
>>54430117
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT235.pdf
It's basically a dt235 with a mic attached.
>>
>>54430922
>>54430117
Oh never mind just realised they're supra-aural not circum.

Ignore that unless you're okay with on-ears.
>>
>>54429531
I hope I won't be disappointed anon.
Thanks
>>
Hey kids, get on my level.

Toshiba HR-40.
>>
>>54431437
garbage
>>
>>54431472
Compared to the chink shit hawked here?

>real metal
>real leather
>larger drivers
>not glued together
>not Chinese
>>
>>54431539
>can't afford good vintages like beyer et-1000
lol just fuck off with the shit you found at a garage sale for $5
>>
>>54431551
You really fell for the Germany meme didn't you anon?

Bet you're a Zeiss over Nikon fan too.
>>
>>54431584
>toshiba
>>
>>54431600
Toshiba:
>handmade by shinto priest-craftsmen
>headband folded over 1000 times
>real leather from finest wagyu cattle
>enormous size makes heavy pressure on ears unnecessary
>4 channels

Your phones:
>made by Chinese slave children or rapefugees in Germany
>Chinese components in all phones, assembled in China or Germany
>>
>>54431672
sick memes poorfag
>>
>>54431685
What's wrong with eschewing crap-tier modern headsets merely glued together by rapefugees or kids?

Are you a headphone sales rep?
>>
>>54431711
>justifying your welfare
>>
Sorry kids, if you don't get it, you don't get it.

Enjoy Beats by Dr. Dre. Make sure they are wireless!
>>
File: 800px-IPod_Earbuds.jpg (87 KB, 800x434) Image search: [Google]
800px-IPod_Earbuds.jpg
87 KB, 800x434
>>54422756
The original-model Apple iPod earbuds are the best though anon. Of their type.
>>
>>54407362
It's not even solid plastic, it's hollow filled.

Cheap chink garbage screwed together ("made") in Germany.
>>
>>54407803
There is nothing inherently wrong with wireless headphones anon.

There are shitty ones out there but a good pair will not be fucking with the sound in any measurable way.

This is a fucking meme. They mostly suck, but it is because they are cheap chink crap not because wireless in inherently evil.
>>
>>54431437
I've hear the Emperor himself owns these. They have been thrice blessed before leaving the factory.
>>
>>54432059
>wireless in inherently evil.

except anyone /g/ nearby can hear what you're listening to given $15 of hardware - phone conversations, hentai audio, and terrifyingly embarrassing music

this is a much bigger decider for me than the actual sound quality argument
>>
>>54432094
>given $15 of hardware
Why would you judge all wireless headsets by looking at only the crappiest kind?

Might as well write off all wired headsets too, there are plenty of shitty ones out there at the $15 price point.
>>
>>54432094
And anyway most wireless headsets these days use more secure protocols than they did 20 years ago. It's not just plain FM audio any more, you have spread spectrum now, or Bluetooth.
>>
File: Pioneer Master Race.jpg (303 KB, 1335x914) Image search: [Google]
Pioneer Master Race.jpg
303 KB, 1335x914
>>54411033
What a pair of memephones.
>>
I'm kinda curious about something. So I've got a bit of Tinnitus, gets real loud when I notice it but usually I don't, am I just sort of fucked? Would any of this info actually be useful to a person like me? I feel like sound quality won't matter to me if I'll always have that slight ringing. Anyone here have the same issue and knows if if I'm just a hypochondriac?
>>
Hey guys, I know this isn't headphones but was thinking you guys are my best bet anyway. I'm looking for a good desktop microphone for recording some voice over videos.

under $100
Living in Australia (but no problem ordering on Amazon or whatever)
For use on a home PC with a 3.5mm jack
Any type of free standing microphone i.e. not a lapel mic or headset mic or anything

Besides that there's no preferences. Looking for any suggestions.
>>
File: 1412913988425.jpg (302 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1412913988425.jpg
302 KB, 600x600
I bought a pair of ATH-WS55s. They sound great, but I can't sake the feeling I'm wearing them wrong since they hurt whenever I take them off.
>>
>>54432351
Depends on how bad it is. I've had tinnitus for a couple of years now, but it's not loud enough to stop me from enjoying music.
Hearing loss is a bigger concern than tinnitus, unless the tinnitus is really loud.
>>
>>54407362
what is the fuck? the v6 has the same design and it's built like a tank for $60. the dt250 is like $200+?
it measures pretty well but it's always been way overpriced. there is too much better stuff at that price point.
>>
>>54413779
do this mod:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRZ7DIYModifiedBillP.pdf

and report back
>>
>>54415319
what do you listen to? I will get fatigued (mentally) if I listen to one genera of music for too long (way more than 10 min though). I spend at least 3 hours on the computer each day and usually 5+ hours, always using my headphones and I don't get fatigued. but then I spend most of the time listening to videos/streams/radio, so mostly talking. 598 out of an e10k btw, though I sometimes switch for music.
>>
>>54415405
668b is infinitely better than the 8323. I own both. the 8323 will always break along the headband, it also sounds worse than the th-02 which is less.
>>
Are budget open-back headphones worth it?
>>
>>54433388
The HD518 is pretty good for its price. In fact, the HD518, 558 and 598 have excellent price/performance ratio
>>
>>54433499
im talking about <$50 budget
>>
>>54433522
Takstar HI2050
>>
>>54433616
looks pretty comfy
>>
>>54433647
And they sound pretty good too
>>
>Budget
250 CAD
>Location
Canada
>Source
PC
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
maximum comfy needed
>Past headphones
None i used speakers
>>
>>54433042
probably because the DT250 was an upgrade from the DT150, it measures well so they went with "well, it's good, lets charge a lot..."
>>
I'm scoping out some headphones for the mastering of my theoretical avant-garde jazz-punk album.
I had been previously enamored with the legendary AKG K701, but then I saw Frasier wearing these. What do you think?
>>
>>54435253
>legendary AKG K701
>legendary
>K701
anime girls wearing these does not make them legendary.
>>
>>54433725
Stretch your budget just a little more for:
https://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7BK-High-Resolution-Audio-Headphones/dp/B00PEU9CFA
>>
Best closed or open back for low budget and high budget?
>>
>>54435591
Fill out the form.
>>
File: mfw I can't hear a difference.jpg (680 KB, 1266x389) Image search: [Google]
mfw I can't hear a difference.jpg
680 KB, 1266x389
>>
So i can get the srh1440 for 160 euros, should i buy them?
>>
>>54435555
You know how I know you've never touched a pair?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.