[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: 1460737554032.jpg (87 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1460737554032.jpg
87 KB, 1024x768
Previously on: >>54050978

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
>>54059265
that pic always made me laugh for some reason

i don't think theo and stallman are very good friends
>>
>>54059265
I have Fedora. I just have Atom, Vim, Code Blocks, and some other development stuff installed. How do I fully take advantage of Linux?
>>
File: meme.png (959 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
meme.png
959 KB, 1366x768
>>54059265
How do I make this shit go away on launch?
>>
>>54059680
Wow KDE is trying really hard to clone the Windows 10 DE.
>>
Today I figured out how to issue sleep commands to my usb external hdd.
# sdparm --readonly -C stop [device]
>>
>>54059721
Looks good imo
>>
>>54059680
Weird
Install a different display manager?
>>
>>54059265

Theo and Stallman?

WTF
>>
I'm having problems viewing network drives with
Arch. I'm connected to the network, i have internet access, file sharing is happening from my windows computers and my samba server is recognized by all other computers. Is there something I missed? I scoured Network Configuration and netctl pages on arch wiki, but it mentions nothing.
>>
>>54059265
I'm moving from Elementary OS to another distro tonight.
I was thinking about Manjaro or Arch, my only concern is the drivers for my GTX 750ti. Anyone knows if Arch/Manjaro has stable nvidia drivers.
>>
>getting 'unable to find root device' when I try to boot
>motherboard won't boot from any usb drives I make
how fucked am I?
>>
>>54059869
I'll try that, what's a sexy one?
>>
>>54060422
Lxdm has some good themes
>>54060268
Good GPU anon.
Arch always has drivers
>>
Any particular reason you'd want /var or /usr on separate partitions?
>>
>>54060886
well mail and logs are stored in /var, aren't they?

i assume you could store them on one separate hard drive if you're paranoid about failures
>>
>>54060355

I know you probably already checked, but do you have your BIOS configured for it? On my old PC, you had to allow it to boot from USB, because by default it was disabled. I think my laptop is that way too iirc, but it's been a while since I've messed with it.

Make sure the boot order has it attempting to boot from USB before your HD/SSD. My main PC's motherboard is UEFI, and it constantly changes my boot order. I've gotten to the point where I just manually select the boot device at startup, because more than likely it's going to attempt to boot from the wrong drive. This is the first UEFI board I've ever owned, so I don't know if it's shit in general, or just mine. It just acts all wonky if I actually use GPT. I like the fact that GPT allows for more than three primary partitions, but I have a lot less trouble out of the thing if I use MSDOS tables instead, and it's not like you can't get around the limitation easily enough with logical partitions.
>>
# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 8.8G 7.8G 532M 94% /

My root is getting full what do
>>
>>54060355
>'unable to find root device'
Not sure about your other comment but that this error can happen when compiling your own kernel and you don't do what you need to do for your hardware. Then again your other commend makes me think your hardware might be failing.
>>
>>54061421
what bistro?
>>
>>54061421
delete stuff
which package manager? Delete old cached packages.
>>
>>54061421
Make it bigger
>>
>>54061421
>sudo tune2fs -m 0 /dev/root
>>
>>54061446
>>54061438
I already cleaned distfiles and tmp stuff and old cached packages

My root on an 8GB usb drive I use for my fileserver. I want to upgrade to a bigger usb/ssd but I have to reconfigure all the shit installed again.
>>
>>54061476
>but I have to reconfigure all the shit installed again.
Just copy the shit to the new one. What is there to configure?
>>
>>54059265
Would GNU get more respect if Stallman was attractive and charismatic?
>>
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 300x168
>>54061476
Get new USB. Use dd to clone your shit
>>
>>54061504
But he is
>>
>>54059680
by installing gentoo
>>
File: 1399271008197.jpg (73 KB, 752x599) Image search: [Google]
1399271008197.jpg
73 KB, 752x599
>>54060886

It's all a matter of preference, but yes. Safety and security. Ideally / should have as few routine writes performed on it as possible. If you could get away with making it read only, you should.

/usr is where most of your programs reside, and therefore execute. If it's on the same partition as /, that means every time you execute a program, it is occurring on /, and as with writes, you ideally want this happening as little as possible. If your system gets remotely compromised, chances are whoever is behind it will not gain access to your entire system if it's located across multiple partitions. If they don't have complete access to /, the damage they can potentially do is minimized.

You also don't want / running low on free space. It doesn't need to be that huge (15gb these days will usually be enough with plenty of extra breathing room), but running out of free space on / can be catastrophic. /var, /home, and then /usr, are the likely culprits (plus /var is where the majority of routine writing is going to occur on your system) if they are not on their own separate partitions. Separate, if they get too full it's not such a huge deal, but on the / partition, bad things will happen.

Also, if you are like me you have both a SSD and HDD. I don't care what manufacturers say about excessive writes not being a problem anymore. I don't trust them, since it's in their best interest for your SSD to wear out sooner. I put / and /usr on my SSD, and swap, /var, and /home on the HDD. If you use /tmp rather than /tmpfs, that should go on the HD as well.

It also bears mentioning that separate partitions means you can use different file systems for different jobs. I tend to prefer Reiserfs for /var because it's still the best at handling a lot of small files. I usually prefer ext2 for /boot, ext4 or xfs for /, /tmpfs for /tmp, and usually xfs or jfs for /home and /usr.
>>
>>54061650
>and usually xfs or jfs for /home and /usr.
Any particular reason why? You mentioned the size of your / how about the other partitions?
>>
Just finished the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
I didn't really absorb everything, but it was good for reading anyway
>>
>>54060422

Give Lumina a try.
>>
What the hell is wrong with my ssh? I'm setting up keys and it works fine one way to the other, but in the opposite direction. The message I'm getting is:

debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password

the relevant files/superfolders all have identical permissions up to / . I imported the key first with cat >> authorized keys, then with ssh-id-import or whatever it's called.

If it matters, it's Linux Mint to CentOS. CentOS can get to Mint fine, but Mint can't get to CentOS. I've disabled and unstalled seLinux and all its packages.
>>
File: 1438307697869.png (115 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1438307697869.png
115 KB, 2000x2000
>wake up
>check 4keks
>[Thread Archived]
What the hell guys.
>>
>>54062861
But it's not
>>
How do you make a udev rule?
>>
>>54063096
U dev elop it aha aha aha
>>
>>54061700
Xfs and jfs are both fast, support very large file volumes (not that I really need that, but I guess I'm overly optimistic), and they handle large files really efficiently. Ext4 is perfectly fine though. I don't hate it, and if I were running Linux in a production environment I think I'd easily choose it over anything else. Ext4 does offer better journaling, and it's about as stable as a fs can be. It offers shrinking, which xfs and jfs don't. I'm not yet sold on btrfs enough to try it out.

Right now I've got /usr allocated at 25gb, /var at 8gb, and I usually give /home whatever is left on my HDD minus swap. I usually allocate partitions a bit larger than needed. Even / could probably be smaller. I haven't really sat down to figure out what would be optimal, because I'm lazy, and have more than enough available space anyway. My SSD has 80gb unallocated. 120gb is way more than I'll ever need for / and /usr. If I deleted all the vidoes saved in /home, I could easily fit the entire system on that SSD, with space to spare.

Back when I was using Windows 7, A 120gb SSD held it, and some programs, but I had to install a lot of stuff to a storage drive instead, because there just wasn't enough room for everything. I have pretty much given up gaming since then though, so it might be sufficient now. Without the gaming, I have zero need for using Windows though.

I currently have 8gb allocated as swap, but sometimes I don't even bother with it at all. I have more than enough system ram, and I don't use hibernation, or do a lot of kernel debugging. Other than that, for modern desktops, if you find yourself using swap at all, it's probably an indication that you need to upgrade you RAM.

If you do give /usr it's own partition, depending on your distro you may run into a minor issue. On Arch for example, /usr and /etc either have to be on /, or else mounted early in initramfs, otherwise your system will fail to boot.
>>
>>54062058
Does it get to BIOS? ... Is the card seated poperly?
>>
Is Slax a meme?

https://www.slax.org/

I wanna download some small GNU/Linux OSs to test out of VirtualBox, but I don't have fast internet or much storage space.
>>
>>54063640
Where do you guys keep finding this shit? Do you type in Google something like 'the most underground, rare linux distro list ever' and randomly choose one?
>>
>>54063640

By the time someone answers you, you could have downloaded and tested it.

>is it a meme?
When you ask cringe-worthy and joke questions, no one is going to bother answering them anyway. You idiots use your epic 4chan meme words universally for everything. Cuck, autism or in this case even "meme" itself.
>>
>>54063640
Slax is still a real thing?
It was the first distro I downloaded for my self.

I liked it because it had packages containing all of the dependencies --so I could use it at home (I didn't have internet).

I blame it for my bad KDEdiction.
>>
I've had a few problems today.

I can't open xfontsel and xfd. "BadMatch", I'll look into it tomorrow.

When I was looking though my pictures in sxiv, mpd paused. And it did it again and again on certain images. When I looked at "mpc idleloop player" I saw it print player whenever I changed to a certain image. I changed the socket it listens to and that seems to work, for now.
>>
I want to install Gentoo pure 64-bit. What are some major applications that won't work without multilib support? Are there 64bit browsers? What other problems can I expect?
>>
>>54064141
32bit programs i have installed;
- pcsx2
- wine
- bunch of windows games i run under wine

that's it, everything else is 64bit, nearly all software for linux has a 64bit version or can be compiled for 64bit, totally different situation from windows
>>
>>54064177
What about browsers? Is firefox 64-bit available?
>>
>>54064177

Skype is 32bit only, possibly some other proprietary software too.
>>
>>54064202
firefox has had 64bit linux released for over a decade
i don't know of any browser for linux that can't be compiled to 64bit
>>
Anyone know a good xmpp server for empathy? Jitsi is killing xmpp support and jabber is still a walking corpse.
>>
How do you guys get the smooth scrolling in Chromium on Linux to actually be smooth like in Windows?

When I compare both of them then Windows definently wins as it is really smooth while the Linux version is lagging.
>>
So lads Im trying to find more roles for my Ubuntu server.

Can I for example use it to encrypt incoming/outgoing internet traffic for my devices? What other useful shit is there in terms of security and whatnot?

All I'm using it for right now is smb, plex, a few VMs and backups.
>>
File: 1459802253421.jpg (129 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
1459802253421.jpg
129 KB, 500x367
>>54064237
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54064237
Screen tearing or overall laggy scrolling?
Also, why the hell are you using chrome?
>>
>>54064222
I don't use skype. I mainly do programming and listening music.

>>54064206
Okay, thanks. Looks like I will go for the no-multilib support then.

Finally, in Gentoo, there is a desktop profile and a no-multilib profile, and its only possible to select one. Which one should I select? I don't want any 32bit programs or libs on my system. Also, I want to install i3wm or something instead of KDE or GNOME.
>>
>>54064273
Laggy scrolling. I am using proprietary latest Nvidia drivers and I use chrome because firefox wastes too much vertical space.
>>
>>54064231

>Jitsi is killing xmpp support
What? Do you mean their xmpp servers or the ability to use the xmpp protocol with Jitsi?
>>
>>54064246
if it's not sending it somewhere else where it'll be specially decrypted, what's the point?
>>
>>54064362
I don't know senpai I don't know anything about network security. Just want to avoid silly mistakes and make use of features I might not know about.
>>
>>54064202
>Worrying about 64-bit
I see you're still stuck in the proprietary mindset
>>
>install eclipse
>check version
>3.8
bleeding edge arch repos?
>install window builder on top of that
>don't even know how to turn it on

How do I update to the newest eclipse? Does it even matter?
>>
>>54064141
I used to run this actually. The only problem you'll run into is that most proprietary shit is 32-bit only, because proprietary application developers are terrible at programming.

Flipping on multilib support is trivial, though. I had to enable it so I could run 32-bit windows programs under wine.
>>
>>54064420
>arch
mint
MINT
>>
>>54062058
Overloading your PSU maybe? Does it get as far as grub?
>>
>>54064420

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=eclipse&maintainer=&flagged=

You're doing something wrong.
>>
>>54062576
>Mint
in b4 it's because they don't support modern protocols and only support MD5 and 3DES. Wouldn't surprise me given how security-incompetent the Mint maintainers are in general.
>>
>>54064287
>wastes vertical space
How?
>>
>>54064287
>I am using proprietary latest Nvidia drivers
How many monitors do you have? My monitor is on nvidia being at fault here.

Try turning on ForceFullCompositionPipeline in your nvidia config. If it's already on, try turning it off. If you're running a compositor, try killing it. If you aren't, try starting one.

>I use chrome because firefox wastes too much vertical space.
Not trying to be rude here, but if you're going to get into a habit of switching from a superior program to an inferior one just because you don't like the defaults and can't be bothered to spend 5 seconds changing them, you are not going to have a particularly pleasant time with Linux as a whole.
>>
Why does every tutorial on debian packaging recommend different tools and approaches? Why is dh_** so magic?

What's a good starting point using first principles (dpkg-buildpackage, cpio, and handwritten debian/rules) that'll pass the latest lintian, build reproducibly, and work under pbuilder on all architectures?
>>
>>54064455
Sorry, I'm thinking wrong. I meant to write mint.
Google says I have to install it manually. Will do.
>>
>>54064537
Or you could just uninstall mint and replace it by a real distro instead of a glorified toy made by kids for kids with outdated shitty packages.
>>
>>54064458
CentOS has the same version of OpenSSH nigger. this meme has gone too far

All I needed to do was restart my computer, for some reason restarting ssh/sshd didn't work
>>
>>54064570
>All I needed to do was restart my computer, for some reason restarting ssh/sshd didn't work
Now I see why people call Mint the Windows of Linux
>>
>>54064549
Give me an example, please. And tips on migrating my home directory.
>>
I swear they're trying to drop the Linux part and make this /fgt/
>>
>>54064475
The tabs a url part in firefox is a lot bigger than in Chromium.
>>
File: 1460279721992.png (1 MB, 720x630) Image search: [Google]
1460279721992.png
1 MB, 720x630
>>54064549
>Yfw mint performs computationally heavy tasks and jobs faster than any other widely used distro

>Yfw mint's repos aren't even as old as you think

>Yfw cinnamon is hands down the best DE

>>54064592
I found the solution where someone running Arch had the same problem, and fixed it like that :^).
you're insufferable
>>
>>54064612
I wouldn't even mind
>>
>>54064549
butthurt archfag detected

literally only archfags get this upset by seeing people using another distro and liking it.
>>
>>54064598
>Give me an example, please.
I run Gentoo personally, since it has the flexibility and power to satisfy my autismal demands. (Such as: no systemd, no dbus and no pulseaudio)

>And tips on migrating my home directory.
You just copy over your home directory. I mean, I share the same home directory on all my distros. Little reason not to. This is why people set up (/home as a separate partition in the first place)
>>
>>54064621
>>Yfw mint performs computationally heavy tasks and jobs faster than any other widely used distro
Like verifying MD5 checksums? :^)

>>Yfw mint's repos aren't even as old as you think
Do they have, say, mpv 0.17.0? What about newer than that?

>>Yfw cinnamon is hands down the best DE
You can install Cinnamon on every single distro.
>>
>>54064715
pls teach me how to rid myself of the curses known as dbus and pulseaudio.
I still want to be able to use multiple sources for one output tho, I like to listen to music while gayming
>>
>>54064715
I've got /home as a separate partition. I might try something later.
I'm running it in a VM, so no harm done.
>>
>>54064406
I thought this was a friendly thread.
>>
>>54064741

You're an idiot. You don't even know what dbus or pulseaudio do yet you just blindly want to get rid of them because someone told you to.
>>
>>54064732
>meme
>a useless cherrypicked example (DUDE cli video players LMAO)
>no shut
I'll take my better performing, just as compatible distribution over whatever trash you're running
>>
>>54064779
>friendly
>>
>>54064741
>pls teach me how to rid myself of the curses known as dbus and pulseaudio.
For dbus, the majority of what you need is just USE="-dbus". Some things still inexplicably require it as a hard dependency, so to combat that I just let them install it and then remove it manually afterwards. (This ostensibly breaks dependencies, but it's not like anything actually _needs_ dbus any way)

Some programs (especially KDE crap) actually hard-crash if dbus is not available, for these you need custom patches e.g.:

--- a/kdelibs-4.14.10/kdeui/kernel/kapplication.cpp    2015-06-26 05:14:18.000000000 +0200
+++ b/kdelibs-4.14.10/kdeui/kernel/kapplication.cpp 2015-08-07 17:02:22.895630076 +0200
@@ -512,12 +512,6 @@
extern void qDBusBindToApplication();
qDBusBindToApplication();
QDBusConnectionInterface *bus = 0;
- if (!QDBusConnection::sessionBus().isConnected() || !(bus = QDBusConnection::sessionBus().interface())) {
- kFatal(240) << "Session bus not found" << endl <<
- "To circumvent this problem try the following command (with Linux and bash)" << endl <<
- "export $(dbus-launch)";
- ::exit(125);
- }

extern bool s_kuniqueapplication_startCalled;
if ( bus && !s_kuniqueapplication_startCalled ) // don't register again if KUniqueApplication did so already

>pulseaudio
Just USE="alsa -pulseaudio" and remove pulseaudio. If you want to be able to play multiple streams and have a device with no mixer (e.g. USB or S/PDIF DAC), you need to enable dmix as well in /etc/asound.conf. Personally, I use something like this: (cont)
>>
>>54064862
(cont)

defaults.pcm.rate_converter "speexrate_best"

pcm.mydmix {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
ipc_key_add_uid no
ipc_gid audio
ipc_perm 0660

slave {
pcm "hw:ODACrevB"
rate 48000

period_time 0
buffer_time 0
period_size 512
buffer_size 4096
}
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "mydmix"
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card "ODACrevB"
}

Depending on your system you may need to adjust the ipc_gid or ipc_perm to enable ALSA clients to communicate with each other.

Also note that if you're running a grsecurity kernel that IPC group permissions are masked unless the egid of the user matches the gid of the creator, which can be annoying. I have that setting disabled on my end, (kernel.grsecurity.harden_ipc = 0 in /etc/sysctl.conf), so I can have mpd run as a different user but still be able to share dmix with my own user account.
>>
How to show video title in the wm's title when video with mpv? something with - ?
>>
>>54064909
mpv should already do this out of the box
>>
>>54064862
>>54064901
Thanks a ton anon.

I don't use KDE, so those things shouldn't bother me too much.

I didn't know about the dmix thing in alsa, so I'm going to try and use that next thing I wake up.

Thanks again.
>>
>>54064938
>I don't use KDE, so those things shouldn't bother me too much.
I don't either, but sometimes you just need KDE-based programs like okular because no other minimal PDF viewer can do annotations properly.
>>
>>54064784
Well, mint's repos are factually fucked.
There are a couple packages from the Debian repos that are overwritten by mint's own packages with the same names, making some packages unavailable and occasionally installing wrong dependencies.
Or something like that, can't remember exactly.

Don't worry though, similar problems happen every time a distro is forked. It just happens that mint is a fork of a fork.
>>
I've installed gnome music and had to add it manually to the menu, but it won't show up as a default program for music. Is there any way to set it as one?
>>
>>54065019
.desktop files do this but it sounds like you did something wrong like installing it manually instead of using your package manager.
>>
How does qbittorrent persist after I log out of my Openbox/Xorg session?
I checked the "ps aux" output and there was qbittorrent still running as my user. I started qBittorrent from inside my session, it's not a systemd service. Upon relogging in, it won't start again, because it's already running and I can't bring the "old" interface up (no taskbar icon).

I know that this could be remedied with the logind "KillUserProcesses" option for systemd, but I'm hesitating to use that.
>>
File: 1436528000435.gif (167 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
1436528000435.gif
167 KB, 636x358
How to protect programs running in WINE from connecting to the internet?
>>
>>54065284
Use firejail and setup a profile that doesn't expose a network interface.
>>
>>54064915
I meant when mpv youtube.com/video
>>
>>54065284
Is this gif meant to illustrate that Windows is retarded? If so, it's pretty ingenious
>>
>>54065310
Change
--title
to something that includes the property you're interested in
>>
>>54065296
H-how does this work?
>>
what's a good distro to install on a 32GB usb drive?
>>
>>54065367
You should probably elaborate. We have no idea what the use case is.
>>
Between Transmission and Deluge, which is the best client for a lot of torrents?
>>
>>54065358
https://firejail.wordpress.com/documentation-2/building-custom-profiles/
That's the basic explanation.

If all you want is disable internet access, run
firejail --net=none <command>
>>
Will changing partition sizes break everything?
>>
>>54065384
I've had better experiences with Transmission on ±2k torrents.

>>54065367
http://fglt.nl/guides/picking-a-distro.html
>>
Does something like a cached filesystem exists for linux ?

Something like an sshfs that also copies data locally on read in a transparent manner.
>>
>>54065388
Thanks.
>>
>>54065409
cached remote filesystem*
>>
>>54065398
Would like to add that Fedora has a normal netinstall...not just for servers
>>
>>54065430
You can add a merge request on any of the repositories linked in the footer.

Besides, a netinstall can be used for anything, there's generally no seperate netinstall for servers and one for desktops. Netinstall are generally the smallest available installs, and what you add onto that is your choice. You can either make it a server or a desktop at that point (or combine it, whatever, it's your setup).
>>
>>54059730
Fuck you i just did that and now all my data is gone! How do i recover it? Please, i have important documents on this drive
>>
Why do most of those CUE splitting guides use cuetools and pipe it to shnsplit when shnsplit can apparently work on a *.cue file on its own?
>>
How do I save an online vid that I am currently watching with MPV + youtube-dl?

I checked Google and Arch wiki but I couldn't find anything
>>
>>54066328
youtube-dl
>>
>>54066328
CTRL+S run "youtube-dl ${path}"; show_text "pirating ${path}"
>>
>>54066386
Thnx. So I didn't really need mpv?
>>
>>54066398
Nah, youtube-dl is a program on it's own.
>>
>>54066328
>>54066398
mpv uses youtube-dl internally, so you can directly stream online videos into the media player without needing to save it to disk first.

But if you want to download it to a file and then play that in your media player, feel free.
>>
>>54066386

Please merge this upstream. It doesn't use inane, evil words.
--- old    2016-04-16 14:33:36.301740144 +0200
+++ new 2016-04-16 14:34:50.501503516 +0200
@@ -1 +1 @@
-CTRL+S run "youtube-dl ${path}"; show_text "pirating ${path}"
+CTRL+S run "youtube-dl ${path}"; show_text "downloading unauthorized copy: ${path}"
>>
>>54063371
>>54064442

Got literally no where black screen for more than a min eventually giving me a cursor that doesn't respond on said black screen.

Now that I think about it this is a build a slapped together when I gave my brother most of my parts a few months ago and I really should add up what power I need to see if its the PSU not being able to handle it.
>>
>>54066943
>Got literally no where black screen for more than a min eventually giving me a cursor that doesn't respond on said black screen.
A cursor? Like, a graphical cursor? Or a large blinking text cursor from your GPU's framebuffer?
>>
>>54066991
Single lines cursor normal size I think. And just that. I should try again real quick.
>>
>>54067117
to be clear, does it look like
_

or
|\
| \
| \
| \
|____\
\ \
\_\
>>
https://people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/installer/cdimage/current/
>>
>>54067657
Wow, I didn't know that the debian hurd development is this active.
>>
>>54067222
>>54067117

Alright some experimentation. I put the second card back in and spent some time with the cables getting everything right.

It posts now. I have two screens plugged into my first/main gpu. The only thing on those screens is a single cursor. Just one of these _.

I plugged my third screen into the second gpu just to see if it put anything out. That screen is displaying the screen for typing in the password to the encrypted boot drive. But intead of showing the little spinning circle that shows the computer is not frozen it is just frozen. Does not respond to mouse or keyboard. Tried taking the keyboard out of ps2 and going in through usb did not help. I went into the bios and is can see both gpus without issue correctly displaying the info. I found something about choosing between two gpu controllers and changing that did not change the results.

Thinking about trying it again with nothing plugged into the second gpu hoping the gpu will report its not being used and cause the computer to boot correctly somehow.

I feel like I need to be researching the motherboard itself like I am missing some step tell it which gpu to use.
>>
>>54068068

I have also had a thought about switching the gpus on the motherboard. Maybe one of the lanes is dominant? But one of the card has a hybrid cooler which needs to be on top so the fan can reach. I am not excited about figuring out how to get it into the lower slot.
>>
What's the best file manager around? I currently use spacefm but I'm wondering if I should try some others instead. I was having a look at thunar and I don't think there's much that spacefm offers which can't be done in thunar and I don't think the dependencies are too bad.
>>
Hey guys, I'm having trouble with getting to the the grub boot manager. I tried to install arch on a separate partition and it worked but I couldn't get to the grub bootloader so I opted for a re-install. I installed Kubuntu instead, and I still can't get to the grub boot loader. I've tried holding down shift and stuff but nothing works.
>>
>>54069026
Just to be clear, I directly boot into windows 10, no grub bootloader shows up so I can boot into Kubuntu.
>>
why the FUCK is http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gnome/releases/16.04/beta-1/ down
>>
>>54069026
Check secure boot. Win10 has the tendency to overwrite your bootloader with the windows one, so you'll probably have to reinstall grub at this point.

What's probably causing the booting into windows without options is win10 using "fast boot", which is just a dirty trick where it doesn't properly shut down windows in order to gain a faster boot. You'll have to make sure win10 is shutdown properly, but I have no clue how to do this since I don't use shit software.
>>
Nice, now the general reads more like "faggot"
>>
>>54069063
Secure boot is off.
Where might the issue be coming from then? How do I reinstall grub on Win10?
>>
>>54069284
>reinstall grub
Boot a liveiso, grub-install <hdd device>, grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg. Or something along those lines, at least.

The only thing I can think of is win10's "fast boot" "technology" fucking you over, and I really don't know how to disable this.
>>
>>54069313
I disabled the fast boot already in the windows startup settings. I guess I'll try to reinstall grub. Why does this shit have to be so annoying.
>>
>>54069335
Windows fucking everything over is exactly the reason why I dropped it, anon.
>>
>>54059721
If i'm not mistaken, KDE plasma 5 was realeased way before W10
>>
>>54069353
Yeah I would drop it too if it wouldn't fuck me over for uni. Need inventor and other shit to get my work done.
>>
>>54069036
if you have a newer laptop/mobo with UEFI support you're in for a wild and shitty ride
>>
>>54069065
my thought exactly
>>
>>54068908
Ranger
>>
>>54068908
>What's the best file manager around?
Your terminal.
>>
>>54059265
I have MATE. For some reason it just doesn't hit me that well, never /comfy/.
What do you guys reccommend for this:
>iMac Late '06
>Radeon X1600
>3GB DDR2
>Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.1 GHz
>>
>>54069597
epic, just the answer he was looking for
>>
>>54069607
I have no idea why people keep posting their specs; GNU/Linux runs on every toaster.
>>
>>54069628
I know, just want to know what might work best.
>>
>>54069627
>implying the terminal isn't the best, most comfy and efficient way to manage files
>>
>>54069607
Get Awesome WM.
>>
>>54069652
>implying that was what he was asking
>>
>>54069664
What is it?
>>
>>54068908
Dolphin
>>
>>54069673
A guy asking for a file manager wants to manage files. The terminal is the best file manager around. Now fuck off.
>>
>>54069628
>GNU/Linux runs on every toaster.
literally
>>
>>54069443
Yeah I have UEFI, I want to die with how much fucking hoops I have to jump through to get shit it work.
>>
>>54069718
just dont use it. i have it disabled on my laptop
>>
>>54069695
A asking for a file manager is asking for a file manager, he's quite obviously not asking for a terminal.
>>
>>54069742
Sometimes you dont get what you want, but what you need
-Black Science Man
>>
>>54069760
You get more epic with each reply anon.
>>
>>54069739
I need to dual boot w/ windows so I need it enabled. That forces Linux to use UEFI mode too as dual boot must have both in the same mode.
>>
>>54069718
it's actually fucking ridiculous and I broke my windows installation while trying to get it to work, even though I didn't switch over to legacy mode, I forgot all the steps I took to get it "working" though
>>
>>54069652
>>54069597

Yes, typing cd/ls and the names a dozen times is easier than just quickly navigating with your keyboard keys. Totally.
>>
>>54069786
I also dual booted a while back when I actually used Windows. It ran fine without UEFI
>>
>>54059265
How do I set up a GPU passthrough on my existing Debian installation?

Is it even possible or should I just keep having my small partition of Windows for games?
>>
>>54069664
Exactly what the fuck is this? Doesn't even let me bring up a config w/o giving me the spinning wheel.
>>
Is there a way to use my left control key as a hyper modifier?
I'm using this already
setxkbmap -option "ctrl:nocaps" -option "shift:both_capslock"
>>
Any Arch user around here that has installed a custom kernel with patches/options for improved performance? Is it noticable / worth it?
>>
>>54069817

You can quickly navigate with a exact path anon. Also learn the bash shortcuts and nothing is faster.
>>
>>54070020
Not worth it, if you want a kernel designed for desktop performance, there's linux-zen in the repos.
>>
>>54070064
That's kind of what I meant by custom kernel. Did you do that by any chance, any noticable differences?
>>
>>54069887

Its possible google around. Kernal will need to be 4.1 at least or you might as well just punch yourself in the balls for the same experience.
>>
What does
WHIRLPOOL size ;-)
mean? What is the significance of the winky face?
>>
>>54070079
Considerably noticeable? No. I think I was getting some but it probably is placebo. I've tried zen and the ck patchset.
>>
>>54070138
Alright, not worth it then. Thank you.
>>
>>54069817
>typing
You are aware of autocomplete, right?
Also, show me how to prefix all files containing an "E" with "X_" and move 500 of them to directory "Y" with drag and drop.
>>
グヌー スラッシュ リナックス
>>
>>54070176
Show me how to do that in terminal. No, seriously im curious how its done. My shell knowledge is subpar
>>
>>54069948
You probably don't have an editor or terminal specified
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Awesome
>>
I'm looking into installing OpenSUSE (for that sweet juice KDE). How are the repos?
Is it like Fedora (where you need to use rpmfusion to get anything done)?
If it is, how reputable is the external repo?
>>
>>54070227
I dont think there is even one person on here that actually uses it as a main distro
>>
I have a raid-6 array consiting of 5 sata 6gb/s.
Recently it has been transfering data at fucking slow ass speeds,ranging from 10mb/s to 15mb/ tested on a 1gb file using dd.
It is formatted XFS,and i have run a defrag on it(it was around 26%).I have run smart on each drive,i replaced the sata cables,and made sure each drive was properly seated. Im out of ideas on what to do/check
>>
I'm a beginner and am using ubuntu
So what desktop environment to install and window manager?
I tried awesome and i3 but i couldn't configure shit lol
>>
>>54070304
You need to read the documentation for any tiling wm.
Why not just use what you have, unity? What's wrong with it and what features would you like that you don't have now?
>>
>>54070304
THen just stay with the defaults
>>
>>54070227
I've heard nothing but good things about OpenSuse Leap and Tumbleweed. Interest in it is growing, apparently.
>>54070304
If you are a beginner then why not stick with the classics until you know your way around? You can install Gnome, KDE, Xfce, LXDE all side by side and switch between them with your login manager. Or use live isos until you find one that you like.
>>
>>54070357
i actually used debian before and other DEs seem faster
also thanks for the wm tip!
>>
>>54070387
Faster at what?
>>
>>54070224
Okay, I got that. Now what the fuck do I do, my dual monitors aren't working.
>>
>>54070176

Yes, I am aware of it and I use it. But I can still admit that it's easier in some cases to just use a GUI file manager and navigate with the arrow keys/return to your file. Especially if it's multimedia files with unknown filenames.

>scripting is easier with text
STOP THE PRESSES
>>
>>54070433
Set it up so it suits your computer.
https://awesomewm.org/wiki/FAQ
Lots of information that that website.
>>
>like mpd for the client/server model
>can keep music on my desktop hooked up to my speakers and control it while on my laptop
>can't listen to radio streams
>no client which works as I'd like to

You just can't win.
>>
>>54070220
You should start with less complex things like using wildcards.

mv tr* ~/.porn/traps/

would move all pictures beginning with "tr" in the current directory to your traps folder.

Another powerul tool is prename/rename, because it accepts regular expressions. To prefix all files beginning with "tr" with porn_, you'd run this:

rename 's/^/porn_/' tr*

To rename all jpeg and JPG and JPEG extentions to jpg, you'd run:

rename 's/\.jpe?g$/.jpg/i' *

To replace the word OP in all filenames with FAGGOT, you'd run:

rename 's/OP/FAGGOT/g' *

and so on.
>>
File: 1438413459420.png (81 KB, 800x1151) Image search: [Google]
1438413459420.png
81 KB, 800x1151
>>54070220
> Shell pasta:

The based GNU Bourne Again SHell:
https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/

The community driven BASH wiki:
http://wiki.bash-hackers.org/

The Grymoire - home for UNIX wizards:
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/index.html

Greg's (also known as GreyCat's) wiki:
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashPitfalls

SED and AWK; your new best friends:
http://www.pement.org/sed/sed1line.txt
http://www.pement.org/awk/awk1line.txt

Google's Shell Style Guide:
https://google.github.io/styleguide/shell.xml

The Linux Command Line - A Book By William Shotts:
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Interesting, useful and dangerous one-liners:
http://www.commandlinefu.com/

Great online (and offline) linting tool:
http://www.shellcheck.net/

Know what you are doing:
http://explainshell.com/
>>
>>54070592
mpv?
>>
>>54070592
But mpd supports web streams?
>>
>>54070636

For radio streams? It would work, but then I'd have to use 2 pieces of software for a similar function (even though I already have mpv installed). I can't control mpv remotely, can I? Gotta look it up.
>>
>>54070611
>Wildcards
Seems a whole lot like mysql wildcards. This should make learning shell easier. Thank you

>>54070634
And thank you, Wildebeest
>>
>>54070667

Listening to them or streaming via http? I know that you can stream YOUR music via http, but searching mpd radio stream doesn't return any promising results.
>>
>>54070681
You can with keybinds,you can customize every part of it with the 'input' file. If you can control mpd with your laptop you should be able to with mpv
>>
>>54070696
Well you basicall just give mpd the URL. Either directly or a list of URLs in a .pls file.

Example file "my_playlist.pls" would contain:
http://ice.somafm.com/spacestation

Play this file and all urls will load like regualar files.
>>
>>54070696
>>54070667

Never mind. All I had to do is place it inside a playlist file in the playlists directory.
>>
>>54070634
Shell pasta is superseded by the smaller post of just linking to the /fglt/ website: http://fglt.nl/resources.html
>>
>>54070681
>I can't control mpv remotely, can I?
You can! I recently discovered the ipc documentation (https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/DOCS/man/ipc.rst) and after reading, I hacked this together:

mpv-remote() { 
printf '%s\n' "$@" > /tmp/mpv-socket
}

mpv.conf MUST contain this line to make this work:
input-file="/tmp/mpv-socket"

Then you can control it by sending input.conf style commands, as example:

mpv-remote pause

etc.

Pretty useful for hotkeys.
>>
>>54070789
Welp, maybe someone else has use for it: >>54070854
>>
you guys should check out schedtool, a daemonizable program which will set cpu scheduling policies, nice levels, and affinity on a configurable, per-program manner, automatically
for example, you can set things like gcc and ffmpeg to use only idle time (SCHED_IDLEPRIO), and games to a higher class like SCHED_ISO with a lower nice level, allowing the games to run at full speed even with compiling/encoding running at the same time
>>
>>54070919
Just post the logo so we can decide if it's worth using.
>>
>>54070919
>games take precedent over compiling
What kind of filthy casual do you take for?
>>
>>54070919
also good for media players, btw
no more skipped frames because some bit of javascript in your browser considers itself of equal importance
>>
>>54070942
this
>>
>>54059265
How do I cmd? I keep pressing win+r but no run prompt so how can I cmd on linux? I heard linux is cmd operating system but it's just like windows10 mixed with mac. Why is linux keep copying other os?
>>
File: fishtonguemyanus.png (134 KB, 600x601) Image search: [Google]
fishtonguemyanus.png
134 KB, 600x601
>>54071002
>>
>>54071002
Yes.
>>
File: a.png (28 KB, 568x364) Image search: [Google]
a.png
28 KB, 568x364
>>54071002
>>
>>54070759
How do you load .pls files in mpd?
>>
>>54071099
Have you tried dragging and dropping?
>>
>>54071099
Place them into ~/.mpd/playlists or where ever you defined it in your mpd.conf.
>>
File: 1434430250932.png (204 KB, 712x456) Image search: [Google]
1434430250932.png
204 KB, 712x456
>>54071144
>>
>>54071144
he said mpd, not mpv
>>
>>54071147
ncmpcpp doesn't recognize pls files it seems. I'm trying to get this to stream http://drdicksdubshack.com but not having much luck.
>>
>>54071192
same difference.
>>
File: 1446414986926.jpg (12 KB, 385x335) Image search: [Google]
1446414986926.jpg
12 KB, 385x335
>>54071192
>>
>>54070919
Whate are some good settings
I changed the default ones,but im drawing blank on what else to put in it
>>
>>54071205
Use this url:

http://streaming.radionomy.com/dr-dick-sdubshack
>>
>>54071288
Wow, thanks anon, that works perfectly.
>>
What is the easiest way to make my Firefox look like Windows' when using Debian?

I can't get into the font style for some reason.

Maybe it's habit? What are your experiences when switching from Win to GNU/Linux guys? Do you make the fonts and everything match what you're used to or experiment with other things? Have you found any that you really like?

I'm currently using GNOME's default on Debian Jessie
>>
>>54071266
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gaming#Improving_framerates_and_responsiveness_with_scheduling_policies
this mentions a few

it helps to use linux-ck, as it has additional policies you can use
>>
>>54071580
I didn't expect or want it to be like windows. You can't get the windows font style because it's hard to fuck up font rendering this much.
There is a fontconfig preset on the debian wiki page about fonts, use that with something like dejavu sans or cantarell.
Use gnome-tweak-tool.
>>
>>54071584
Yeah running -ck.
I've only got mpv and make/configure.
Not sure what else to put in it.I dont use wine
>>
>>54068068
>>54068135

Alright well the bios works with both cards and grub gets on fine. Ubuntu itself has a problem as the point of asking for the hard drive decryption key.

Going to read the arch wiki a bit and figure out which pci lanes on my motherboard work what ways.
>>
>>54070919
Where is the project page for this? Everything I've found seems to be ancient, like kernel 2.4.
>>
File: 1352006114063.gif (478 KB, 500x260) Image search: [Google]
1352006114063.gif
478 KB, 500x260
A bit out of topic but, since I hate the other threads I figure I'll ask here. Nothing too wrong with some side discussion while answering newbie questions

What are the most embarassing things you ever did as a kid/teenager on a computer?

I remember I had a Word document named 'WPs" containing all of my passwords matched to the sites. And I thought I was being very clever because of reversing PW of passwords and because I didn't explicitly say which site, just entered a one word clue for each.
>>
>>54071735
it's really up to how you use your computer
what do you want lower latency in? what do you want to run in the background without slowing other things down?

here's a section i added you might find useful;
# Compression utilities
lrzip -D
xz -D
gzip -D
lzop -D
lz4 -D
bzip2 -D
rar -D
7z -D
p7zip -D
mksquashfs -D
>>
File: butters.jpg (67 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
butters.jpg
67 KB, 320x240
I need some help from the infinite 4chan linux wisdom.

So I just installed PostgreSQL on Ubuntu and I'm pretty new to Ubuntu still. I need to use a C++ connector library with it called libpqxx. I found it in the apt-cache of postgres, and apt-get installed it. When I did dpkg -L to find where it went it only turned up a .so file and a README in my usr/share/doc folder. The README says installiation is as easy as configure, make, make install, but there is no configure script or makefile that I can see. I installed the same library's -dev files also to see if that would help. That gave me a bunch of files in my /usr/include which appears to be more of what I need, but its all header files and still no makefile or anything to make. When trying to include any of the headers from the -dev package download g++ unsurprisingly gives me undefined references since nothing has been built.

Any thoughts? I've never had to install a package and then build it so I'm new to this whole process.
>>
>>54071002
You would need to set up your window manager to run some run utility like gmrun when you press windows r.
Also, you would have to use a terminal emulator instead of CMD.
>>
>>54071795
dont worry ,y sister still does that and she is 22
>>
>>54072009
That is to be expected of the inferior sex tho. A guy doing it is just terrible
>>
File: 1459686243657-1.webm (1 MB, 854x1080) Image search: [Google]
1459686243657-1.webm
1 MB, 854x1080
I have never used Linux and now I'm interested in using it. Is Manjaro noob friendly? It looks user-friendly and comfy.
>>
>>54072078
who is this semen demon with probably an feminine penor
>>
>>54072078
http://fglt.nl/guides/picking-a-distro.html
>>
If you just said Linux instead of GNU/Linux people would know what you meant, there's no need to be autistic.
>>
>>54072121
>if you said kernel people would know its about the OS
>>
File: 1459673241691-0.webm (839 KB, 364x732) Image search: [Google]
1459673241691-0.webm
839 KB, 364x732
>>54072102
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEX1qHz2MGY

She also has a ASMR channel
>>
>>54072121
These threads were more fun when they were called /flt/, why did we let an autist force /fglt/?
>>
So I have cron run a couple of scripts hourly to sync files to my home server, haven't edited my crontab in ages becuase it's all working, I wanted to add a new entry today and checked my crontab and it's totally empty, root doesn't have a crontab either yet these scripts are running hourly without issue, the fuck is going on where is my crontab by which I mean crontab -l list no jobs, neither does sudo crontab -l as I thought I might have used roots.
>>
>>54072144
maybe they were converted into systemd triggers or something
>>
Reiterating >>54069607
What do you guys reccomend for this
>iMac Late '06
>Radeon X1600
>3GB DDR2
>Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.1 GHz
>>54069664 suggested Awesome WM, but I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing with it - no idea of how to use Lua or any coherent idea of what the fuck I'm doing with this config file.
>>
>>54072138
You know a girl is hot if you want to hump her like a rabid dog, even after you've just fapped.
>>
>>54072167
https://awesomewm.org/wiki/My_first_awesome
this is probably a good place to start
>>
>>54072167
>>54072188
also here are some example widgets
https://awesomewm.org/wiki/Widgets_in_awesome
>>
>>54072188
I read that, still no idea of what I'm doing.
>>
File: 1413100066283.jpg (186 KB, 800x1020) Image search: [Google]
1413100066283.jpg
186 KB, 800x1020
Why did I install gentoo?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.