[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/SQT/ - Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: 1449356711720.jpg (137 KB, 700x420) Image search: [Google]
1449356711720.jpg
137 KB, 700x420
There doesn't seem to be a stupid question thread, so I thought I'd start one.

I'm renting a room for university and pay a monthly bill that includes broadband. Recently however, my landlords son has moved in, and he seems to have set a bandwidth cap on the guest wifi. It's now too slow to load pages properly, or for me to use for my college work. A simple google search now can take up to 3 minutes to load. Not only that, but my connection is randomly dropping. Is there any way I can circumvent this?
>>
File: Capture123.png (266 KB, 1043x1077) Image search: [Google]
Capture123.png
266 KB, 1043x1077
What happened to my address bar?

Why is it only search now?
>>
There is already a SQT up
>>53858530

To answer your question, you're probably better off connecting through your phone (tethering).
>>
>>53864599
talk to your landlord bruh, let him know what's going on and that it's unacceptable when internet is included in the rent
>>
I was playing just cause 3 and then my GPU crashed and now the game has GPU usage issues. Long story short I need to know a way to crash my GPU on command. I assume if a driver crash messed it up, another driver crash might fix it.
>>
>>53867036
You see that sounds absolutely autistic on paper but at the same time it makes sense and i don't know why
>>
>>53867036
why does this actually seem logical
>>
my q is, how do i progress from stupid hello world and arrays and command line programs in c++, to utilizing graphics (opengl or something)? feel like there's a massive gap i just can't jump there
>>
File: datadump.png (177 KB, 1865x878) Image search: [Google]
datadump.png
177 KB, 1865x878
recently 50 million turkish citizens information was leaked online as sql. i want to make this sql to a website thats easily searchable and can hold all this information (7 gb) publicly how could i do that? do i need professional help?
>>
Is it possible to bind ctrl+Z to one of the buttons on a tablet pen stylus for a drawing tablet?

Its not a Wacom.
>>
what process is the "desktop enviroment" in windows 7?
id like to know how much ram and cpu it uses compared to unity, gnome 3, and xfce.
>>
People living on government money, is it feasable for rest of your neet life? Where are you?
>>
>>53864599
>internet included in rent
>starts to throttle it

Complain.
>>
>>53864599
>>53864599

Hey /g/irls I have a question, I bought a dell xps 15 and regretting the 4k screen, it arrives tomorrow.

Can I buy a 1080p panel and replace it or should I just leave the 4k? I have no 4k experience, so don't know if it'll drag the system.

Thanks
>>
>>53868331
Well limit the resolution then
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-05_03-59-44.png (16 KB, 488x120) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-05_03-59-44.png
16 KB, 488x120
Can someone please explain this to me?
>>
>>53868035
Explorer.exe manages the desktop, taskbar, start menu and file explorer. Window management and borders are done in DLLs and partly in the kernel even I think.

>>53868331
Fuck sake, just run your 4K panel at 1080p if you don't like 4K. It's a nice even multiple so you get 2x2 square of pixels = 1 1080p pixel.

Do try it at 4K though and play with DPI settings. You might find that you actually like it that way better.

>>53868381
Overhead, partial chunks that got dropped, and some chunks that arrived corrupted and were dropped.
>>
$17 is too much shipping for my blood. How feasible is it to carry a Corsair 200R case via the subway?
>>
what is the best program/website/add-on to convert music videos to mp3/audio only format?
>>
File: 1459402817176.jpg (659 KB, 3360x1320) Image search: [Google]
1459402817176.jpg
659 KB, 3360x1320
Is there any way to use 4 pin molex power and still manage fan speed?
>>
>>53869213
Why are you doing this? Most music videos include some crap that isn't music at the start and end, and any transcoding will drop quality. Better to download the album version of the song in FLAC or a high bitrate lossy format.

Anyhow, try ffmpeg. Video DownloadHelper is what I use when I want to download a video, though youtube-dl is another option.

You can probably manage the entire conversion with nothing but fucking VLC as well. Open network stream, put your youtube URL, click the down arrow next to play and choose convert instead. Change the profile to what you want, choose the destination file, and click start.
>>
>>53869250
Get something like this: http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=206

It's a physical knob that controls fan speed. Either adjust it before closing your case, or route the cable out of the case and mount it on the outside. There are similar things available that mount in a drive bay on the front and do the same thing.

You'll also need a molex to fan adapter unless you want to hack up the cable ends.
>>
Why can't I find any credit cards that use NFC?
>>
>>53869366
I actually don't mind that kind of things, and I always try to download the album if i find it, but thanks.
>>
How do I install LuaRocks on Windows?
>https://github.com/keplerproject/luarocks/wiki/Installation-instructions-for-Windows
It comes with an install.bat file, but when I launch it starts looking for an interpreter and then closes...
>>
Whats the /g/ approved free antivirus?

I have been using Common Sense 2008, and i haven't had a single infection, but some relatives are coming to my house for some months and they need Flash and Java, and i don't want things to turn ugly...

Mainly looking for performance (Eset 9 started making the pirating process more troublesome and i don't want to install shady cracks for it).
>>
File: product4.jpg (56 KB, 579x387) Image search: [Google]
product4.jpg
56 KB, 579x387
Does anyone have any experience with the Midi Fighter 3D?

Problem is I can't get remix decks to work properly. I downloaded the Remix Deck Firmware (windows) to my midi 3d. But whenever I press the Toggle HID button, all the lights go out and pressing buttons does nothing until I re-toggle it.
Help pls I want to shawn wasabi
>>
sometimes mysmart phone starts vibrating for a long time for no reason until i unlock it
>>
used lysol wipes on my laptop, now i can se a scratch on the screen.

did the lysol wipes take off some kind of coating or something or did i not see the scratch before?
just bought the laptop today.
also the touchpad acts a little different after using the lysol wipes
>>
>>53870229
cool
>>
I want to see the darkweb, is it too late?
Can we still trust TOR?
Is there any way I can be anonymous on the internet with only a 2gb flash drive and no regular computer?
>>
Good completely free antivirus?
>>
What is some good software for pirating obscure music albums?

I guy I know recommended BearShare, but I didn't like it.
>>
>>53870146
MS Security Essentials (Windows Defender in 8/10) seems pretty good.

Also, why not let them run their shit in a VM you can simply restore to a snapshot once they fuck it up, or booted from a live Linux CD where any damage goes away next boot?

>>53870229
Uh, thanks for sharing.

Assuming this was meant as a question of how to make it not do that, more detail is needed. What sort of phone? Have you checked any settings? Does it do anything once you unlock it?

>>53870235
Yes it does. Do not use solvents on screens, it damages the coating. There's no real way to fix it apart from replacing the screen.

I don't know about the touchpad, maybe a bit got inside it?

In general, use only slightly damp soft lint-free cloths on screens. Rubbing alcohol is safe to use on most other pieces of a computer.

>>53870332
Mostly safe, though the NSA can reveal users if they really want to. Best anonymity right now is coffee shop wifi, and don't use the same ones all the time.
>>
>>53870380
eMule comes to mind. I haven't used it in ages, but it's quite slow compared to torrents. But where torrents encourage older files to die off, eMule is great at preserving old obscure data.
>>
>>53870396
But it's unlikely that the NSA will care about someone who just wants to see what the fuck the darkweb is about, right? I've wanted to see for like 5+ years but haven't got the balls because it's spoopy. Not gonna download/distribute anything at all, curious about anti-government groups and documents etc.
>>
>>53864599

What antivirus/malware programs should I put on my daughters computer since she has no common sense?
>>
>>53870424
Thanks for the prompt response, I'll check it out.

>>53870536
Why not let her sabotage her own stuff?
>>
Does anyone have a clue what the display in this laptop is like?

http://www.metabox.com.au/store/b183/Metabox-Alpha-N550RC-Laptop

It just says "1920x1080 IPS WVA panel".

It's essentially a Clevo rebadge so there must be some information out there but I get totally lost on Clevo's clusterfuck website.
>>
>>53870536
>no common sense
Do not grant her admin then. Put her in a limited account, preferably on Linux. If it has to be Windows, MSSE is good enough while being lightweight.
>>
>>53867777
>do I need professional help
Yes
>>
>>53870567
>>53870609

Shes going to college, and was the same person who would get many viruses from myspace, I feel as if putting her at some limited access would be a bit redundant.

But I'll think about doing it
>>
>>53870396
but do you think it has damaged the coating already? i pressed lightly and it dried almost immediatly ( maybe after 15 seconds).
i used the lysol wipes not the spray
>>
>>53870396
hey im the vibrating guy
the phone is a white samsung galaxy pro nand
it does it for no reason i have no idea why
its not because of any notification or nothing
>>
>>53870650
Give her a limited Windows account, and install uBlock Origin on her web browser. If she still manages to get viruses or adware after that, I'm impressed.
>>
anyone here knowledgeable about flashlights?
I want one with a ridiculously high output, something that can light up a few square miles
>>
File: 1459819220098.jpg (856 KB, 2304x1296) Image search: [Google]
1459819220098.jpg
856 KB, 2304x1296
I purchased on old monitor to view vrc's. I ultimitly want to convert the tapes onto dvds or onto the pc. I got video working but not audio. What can i look out for to just use for audio for the player?

Better yet, whats an easy and cheap way to convert vrc tapes onto my pc directly? None of this was expensive, basically free but old shit rarely works
>>
File: 1459819405685.jpg (796 KB, 2304x1296) Image search: [Google]
1459819405685.jpg
796 KB, 2304x1296
Also what are these cables? If i can hook up either the monitor or player to a pc, that would be a big boost. I have a feeling these could help.
>>
>>53870835
i dont know if its because of the camera but if thats the actual quality of the TV or of the content you watch you should probably look into buying a CRT
>>
>>53864807
menu / customize

fool around until it's back to normal
>>
>>53870900
Quality doesn't matter to me, all I want is a means to convert a VCR tape to something more modern. The DVD is a pirated copy, and looks great on a big LCD TV
>>
>>53870896
this is gold.
>>
>>53870938
What do you want from me?
>>
File: 142483828334.jpg (236 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
142483828334.jpg
236 KB, 900x1200
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/L2zkkL

anything wrong with this build? i'm probably going to order it tomorrow or wednesday

picture unrelated
>>
>>53867706
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/opengl_introduction.html

It's a big jump. If you want to make games without learning advanced thermodynamics learn Unity or other game-focused IDEs and languages.
>>
>>53869042
City?
>>
File: whichtv.png (592 KB, 1044x329) Image search: [Google]
whichtv.png
592 KB, 1044x329
I don't know a lot about TVs

Anyway, both of these TVs are being given away in my area. I want to pick up one to use for playing my video games on (the one I use now is a CRT)

I realize they are old as shit but theyd be an improvement from what I have so whatever

Which one looks like itd be better for playing video games on?
>>
>>53869418
because it's a meme technology and will be gone before the end of the decade
>>
>>53870146
Avast! Free or Microsoft Essentials/Defender.

Run Malwarebyte's anti-malware twice a month.
>>
>>53870349
Common Sense 2016

MS Essentials + Manually running Malwareb
>>
>>53871043
Thanks
>>
>>53870776
check Tank007, their police flashlights
>>
File: flashlights.png (59 KB, 740x271) Image search: [Google]
flashlights.png
59 KB, 740x271
>>53871080
neat, thanks
>>
>>53871002
sony trinitron or nothing

protip: they have flat glass instead of a bubble
>>
What's the best IRC client to use on Windows? Is it still MIRC?
>>
>>53871401
I think HexChat is better
>>
>>53870999
New York is all I'm willing to say. Rather not be too specific.
>>
Is there a way to not have your music paused on android if you open a webm in clover?

Also is there anything beter than clover I can use instead?
>>
>>53871438
Pay shipping. You're gonna get rapedin the subway
>>
My university uses the Tegrity system to record lectures. I really want to be able to watch my lectures without having to use their halfassed software. How can I convert Tegrity videos to a more universal format?
>>
>>53871415
I'll give it a shot. Thanks Anon.
>>
>>53871452
May as well. Thing is, someone is going to give me a coupon this week and I don't think it'll work on delivery (there's no code to enter upon checkout, unlike pick up). A shame since one of those helped me a lot with getting the power supply. After the case the last part is the GPU and I doubt the coupon will help with that short of settling for a GTX 950.

But it depends on how much the coupon's worth. Don't know if it's $50 off like the other one.

Finally, I made many a trip to Microcenter before and nothing bad happened. Granted, I never carried anything as big as a case through the subway.
>>
So my computer at completely random times, with seemingly no correlation to any software, will stutter, and then freeze, with the only way to solve it is to force shut-down. It doesn't BSOD, though.

The stutter will be both audio and visual stutter, it will basically stutter fast, and then slow down, and freeze completely, no response from Ctrl+Alt+Del or anything.

They've been getting more common recently.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?
>>
File: IMG_1673.jpg (253 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1673.jpg
253 KB, 2448x2448
Whenever I send a photo from my iPhone to laptop and post the image on 4chan through Safari, it always posts it sideways. How do I fix?
>>
I'm in a position where I actually need to learn C (as opposed to being interested but putting it off), but I'm stuck on Wangblows. Should I suck it up and use Visual C++ or try to get MinGW or Cygwin working?
>>
File: Untitled.png (3 MB, 1728x972) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3 MB, 1728x972
Is this cat or fiberoptic?
>>
Will an i5 4460 bottleneck a 980/980TI?
>>
>>53868190
not feasible if you want to be more than a poor hobo fuck
>>
Stock cpu fan is finally dead after running like a jet engine for 2 years. Are there any cheap and quiet ones or should I just go with the 212 Evo meme
>>
>>53870669
You can try cleaning it with a damp cloth. If it's just left residue on the screen that will fix it. Just be careful not to use so much water that any can drip down into the edge of the screen. Water getting in there can mess things up.

>>53870835
Sounds like you need a video capture device. I have a USB one from K-World or somesuch. It was fairly cheap when I got it, has a simple composite input, and you use your sound card for the audio.

>>53870896
These look like they're for connecting digital cameras to TVs to display pictures.
>>
>>53872101
Your phone saves the photos as it takes them. If you put it sideways and take a photo, you get a sideways photo. It stuffs a tag onto it that tells it and anything else that looks at EXIF orientation tags to display it sideways to compensate -- the actual JPEG is still like what you posted though.

You can fix it by rotating it using an image viewer. IrfanView has an option to do it losslessly even, without re-encoding the image. It's under Options->JPEG Lossless Rotation.
>>
>>53872291
212 evo is actually great just check your case clearence it won't fit in quite a few mid towers if it won't fit go for the t4 if the t4 dosent fit go for a Gemini low clearence cooler
>>
what is the freezing point of a aio liquid cpu cooler
>>
File: 1239823984.jpg (20 KB, 575x474) Image search: [Google]
1239823984.jpg
20 KB, 575x474
>>53872364
Alright thanks guess I'm going with the 212
>>
File: Snapchat_Logo.png (14 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat_Logo.png
14 KB, 240x240
What is the purpose of the Snapchat App?
>>
Got a problem with a relative forcing spyware on my devices remotely. What do I do?
>>
>>53872715
how are they doing it?
>>
>>53872692
to allow you and your friends to chat without you having to go through the extra trouble of deleting messages so that others can't see them.

Additionally, as a pushback against the generally "open" social trend where all of your statuses, commentary, and likes are made visible for the world to see.
>>
>>53872291
are you overclocking? otherwise 212 is a good meme to fall for these days, just make sure that shit fits first.
>>
I cannot wrap my head around using external libraries. I need to compile a file that uses two outside libraries, one static, and one dynamic.

Where do the header, lib, and dll files go?

I know this is a stupid question but I've been trying to figure this out for 13 hours and I can't even comprehend any of this anymore.
>>
>>53872735
OK, and how about the nudes?
They are allowed?
People do post them?
>>
How do you guys keep your laptop keyboard protected from dust fucking up stuff, and from direct wear on the keys?

I was thinking of getting one of those silicone keyboard covers to keep it protected, but I don't know if those sit perfectly on the keyboard, and will probably block the backlight too
>>
>>53872705
>default player
In Windows I assume? Try "Default Programs" in Control Panel.

>disk cleanup
First, be sure to run it as admin. Right click and run as admin in the start menu. Otherwise if you want it to list system things you'll need to wait for it to scan, click the button to scan system things, then wait for it to scan all over again.

Check anything that has much space listed and that doesn't contain things you want to keep. Windows Update is usually safe to clean, though keep it if you think you need to remove an update you've installed recently.

>>53872692
It lets you get girls to send you nudes easier because they know they'll be deleted automatically after a short time and can't be screenshotted at least without their knowledge. Then of course you screenshot it with your rooted phone.

>>53872715
Be specific.

>>53872766
Headers go someplace that #include will find them. If they're in your project's directories, use #include "myfile.h" . If they're in a system include path, use #include <myfile.h>. If they're somewhere else, use #include <myfile.h> and add to the command line for gcc -I /path/where/it/is (assuming GCC; for VisualStudio, add it to the library paths for your project). Libs go in either your project or a system library path. Headers and libs are only needed at compile time. DLLs are needed at runtime and go where the exe will go, or in a system path like system32. Stick them in the same place as your exe for distribution.

>>53872796
Of course they are. It's private and unmoderated. Images are not saved on the server, except that they are so it's not quite as perfectly private as people assume -- see the snappening.
>>
Looking for a good VPN service but have little to no knowledge on the differences or if there is any other than pricing.
>>
>>53872744
It will definitly fit i have a big case.
Not really into crazy overclocks. Bumped 2500k to 4.1 and it's been there for a few years. Anything over that just got annoyingly loud with the stock fan
>>
>>53872846
But I don't have a rooted phone!
>>
>>53872845
Close the laptop when not in use, and blast out under the keys with canned air periodically, maybe every few months.

Silicone covers need to be specific to the exact keyboard. I haven't used one but I would expect it to make the keyboard feel worse, and possibly add enough height to the keys to smudge the screen when you close it since the tolerance is often pretty tight on that.

You'd have to type a shitton to wear the keys significantly before the laptop is so horribly outdated that you get a new one. I've had and seen some where some keys are visibly a bit shiny, but they still work just fine. But yeah if it gets damaged you can get a replacement keyboard for it, they're usually not that hard to replace, just a few screws in the bottom, a snap-in strip of plastic holding it in place, and the ribbon cable to the mobo under it.
>>
>>53870709
>ublock origin
not that anon but., is the default filters on origin enough that doesnt break "common" sites?
>>
>>53872907
Then let's fix that.
>>
>>53872846
do i checkmark it all
>>
>>53872931
How?
>>
>>53872796
thinking of it as "posting" is wrong. think of it as sending. you send a snap to someone. it's true that snapchat stores the images on their servers, but it's not part of a collective feed (except for the snap stories but that's different).

>>53872846
i'm pretty sure the snappening had nothing to do with snapchat servers itself. people used an app that offered to save images without notifying snapchat that a copy of the image had been made, and the app itself stored all that data, which got hacked or something.

the way you described it is like saying gmail got hacked just because you used a dodgy email client that revealed your password.
>>
>>53872915
I'm actually planning to not close the lid on this laptop. The last laptop I had, the screen connector cable got loose and kept messing up the screen and I was told it was because I opened and closed it too much
>>
>LAPTOP IS ALMOST ALL BLACK BRUSHED ALUMINUM
>THE TOP, THE BASE AROUND THE KEYBOARD, EVERYTHING
>THE ENTIRE BEZEL AROUND THE SCREEN IS FUCKING GLOSSY AND WILL GET SCRATCHES AND WEAR MARKS FROM CLOSING THE SCREEN

FUCKING LENOVO CUNTS WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST PUT BRUSHED ALUMINUM AROUND THE GOD DAMNED SCREEN
>>
>>53872961
>thinking of it as "posting" is wrong.
A girl I know said to follow her on Snapchat because she posts nudes there.
>>
Any reason I shouldn't buy this TV? Any TV that would be better?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889112104&RandomID=3942712910121817020160404211040
>>
What the fuck is the state of gpu manufacturing? I was holding off getting a new one for the release of the 16nm line and now I learn theyre just doing 20nm. Is it still a big leap?
>>
>>53864599
I need to use the most amount of data possible one my phone to stick it to the jews and use my unlimited data plan any ideas?
>>
>>53873221
Download Wikipedia.
>>
Are there any good aftermarket subwoofer amps for home theater subwoofers? The built in amp on my Klipsch Synergy died and I want to replace it. I've been using a car amp to power it using a Xbox 360 AC brick to power the amp, nigg-Guyver tier shit.
>>
The only thing I hate about firefox is I can't "right click ss" to reverse image search
Is there a way to bring this great function, or something similar to it back to firefox?
>>
>>53872945
Yes, though read them when you check them. For instance don't check recycle bin if you have something in there you aren't sure you wanted to get rid of, and don't check error reports if you want to run a BSOD/app crash analyzer program on them. If you don't know what it is, it's generally safe to clean since these aren't things that will hose the system if you check them.

>>53872953
Google "<name of phone> root". For a lot of them you connect it to a computer, download a special driver for the phone and run a program like Root Genius.

>>53873019
If a cable has merely become loose, plug it back in properly. Still a sign of poor design -- they're supposed to put strain reliefs of various sorts to prevent opening and closing the lid from working the cable out. And if the hinges crack or whatever it's just a shit laptop. Don't regularly open the screen to like 180 degrees and close it gently and you'll be fine.

If you're getting a laptop to keep it open in one place all the time, consider a desktop instead. They're cheaper, more durable, more reliable, higher performance, and more upgradable.

>>53873060
TIP: PRESS CAPS LOCK AGAIN TO TYPE NORMALLY.

>>53873202
Looks reasonable to me. But what the fuck does Roku ready mean? I was under the impression a Roku would work with anything that has a HDMI input. Or is this just slapped into the title to confuse people looking for Roku smart TVs, which basically have a Roku built in?

>>53873221
You know, that wouldn't screw the phone carrier, it would just screw others on the same tower who are trying to use the same bandwidth.
>>
>>53873215
as long as you have 2gb of vram and dx11 support you'll last.
>>
>>53873310
an addon.
>>
>>53873310
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-similar-images/
>>
>>53873310
If you mean on 4chan, have you tried clicking the blue right arrow to the right of the post number? It opens a menu that includes image search.

>>53873317
Ha... Tell that to my laptop's GT 730m. Anything modern-ish is lucky to get a playable framerate on lowest settings at 800x600.
>>
>>53873317
I have a 7870 that didnt overclock as well as I was led to believe it would and have been feeling the pressure in needing to turn shit down.
>>
>>53873332
>>53873340
does it do the "ss" thing tho or do I have to click the option manually
I know it's a small thing but I just do a lot of reverse image searching

>>53873370
I don't mean on 4chan
>>
File: monitor-23352_640.png (111 KB, 611x640) Image search: [Google]
monitor-23352_640.png
111 KB, 611x640
I have here a PC with these specifications:
>modem board: dial-up - PCI
>graphics board: Geforce 6200 256MB DDR2 - AGP???
>RAM: 1GB 400MHz - DDR(1)
>HDD: Maxtor 40GB - ATA
>FDD: Mitsumi D359M3D 3.55"
>CD/DVD Drive: LG GSA-H20N - IDE
Shold I try to make it work, or throw it away?
>>
What is the average bitrate for lossless H.264?
>>
Hey guys, for unknown reasons, I'm not able to log back in to my account on Xubuntu after logging out, and Alt+Ctrl+F1 and trying to log in there doesn't work either.

Whenever I use the graphical interface, I get logged in, but nothing loads.

I've tried using an older kernel, but that didn't work.

wat do?
>>
>>53873408
If it has some wacky CPU/MB, it might be worth holding onto for legacy programs/games.
Otherwise, just trash it. Anything that ran windows NT can be virtualized.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Picked up from thrift store. Did I do good?
>>
>>53873394
ss thing?
>>
>>53873453
Do you like it?
Yes - > Yes.
No - > No.
>>
>>53873408
Sell it to somebody else.
>>
File: 1391707452378.jpg (63 KB, 426x418) Image search: [Google]
1391707452378.jpg
63 KB, 426x418
I need to clone my hard drive but clonezilla seems too complicated for the task.
What other program can I use?
>>
>>53873481
dd
>>
>>53873451
No, mainstream, normal CPU and Mobo. Sorry, I forgot to write their models!

This PC ran Windows XP.

>>53873471
Someone would pay for this??
>>
>>53873469
It's nice. Imagined spending way more for it so I'm content.
>>
>>53873468
on chrome you can just right click an image and then press the s key twice to reverse search
small shortcut but itd be nice to have
>>
>>53873493
If it ran XP, it's shit.
Trash it.
>>
>>53873453
What, the keyboard?

If you got it for a good price, I suppose.

Those are basic bitch as fuck, though.
And yes, you are a faggot for posting on your phone; even moreso when your post consists of a picture of a basic keyboard at a jaunty angle.
>>
>>53873408
Might be alright for playing older games, or as a grandma's-email machine.

>>53873453
Those are quite comfortable as rubber dome keyboards go, and no extraneous plastic around the edges.

>>53873481
Read a tutorial, it's not that complicated. If you're cloning to an exactly same size drive, you can do dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=32M (assuming sda is old, sdb is new, and sda doesn't contain bad sectors).
>>
>>53873512
But you, Anonymous, said that it would be shit i f ran NT. It ran XP, which is better!

>>53873541
>Might be alright for playing older games, or as a grandma's-email machine.
My grandmas are dead. My mom want to play Facebook flash games! She needs and deservers a better machine. And we already have a netbook for e-mail...
>>
>>53873493
> Someone would pay for this??
Yes.
Fucking pawn it or something, or put up an ad on CraigsList.

>>53873510
> It's nice. Imagined spending way more for it so I'm content.
What, spending more than ten dollars?
>>
>>53873583
All windows OS's from windows NT onwards run the NT kernel.
>>
>>53873588
I saw some online for $24(ones with the smart card reader).

Got this one for less than $7.
>>
>>53873060
I fucking hate lelnovo's new laptops, they're all dogshit.

Fuck. I hate that they fucked up the ThinkPads so hard. I just want my seven row grey and blue keys, clamshell, plastic bezels, and rubber and plastic.

Fucking dogshit, man.
>>
Help me out /g/.
Do I go for this purchase or will I be getting ripped off with a lemon.
512GB MSATA for my laptop.
Seller has 100% positive feedback.
>Liquidation sale and only come with the drive and clam shell.
Like 150 bucks with shipping.
>>
>>53873670
not really a significant deal, couldn't really answer without knowing the seller and what particular model you're looking at
>>
>>53873713
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sandisk-X300-512-GB-mSATA-2-5-Internal-Solid-State-Drive-SD7SF6S-512G-1122-/152039448561?hash=item236641dff1:g:t8oAAOSwr7ZW4PNT
>>
>>53873394
>>53873511
>ss thing
that addon only adds an option to
>right click image
>single click search image
>>
is there an irc app for ios which does not disconnect when in background,
>>
>>53873623
Alright.
It's an okay deal.

Also, don't shoot at so high a resolution. Your pictures are noisy.
>>
>>53873423
Anybody?

I don't know what to do, and I'm not very good at Linux.
>>
>>53873718
You failed to mention that you were using canukistan dollars
Seller seems legit enough
>>
>>53873740
bump for every person who cares about one other person on irc
>>
File: zizek23.jpg (19 KB, 400x534) Image search: [Google]
zizek23.jpg
19 KB, 400x534
>>53864599
my god
*wipes nose*
zizek on /g/?
>>
>>53873843
>bumping a question after 3 posts
>>
>>53873861
how does windows updates work in windows 10
>>
>>53873740
No, there is not because iOS will not allow it. It forces apps to terminate when backgrounded for battery life reasons.

Best you can do is something like Cloud IRC or Colloquy that basically runs the IRC client on their server and talks to the app on your phone with push notifications and a connection that can be broken and remade when the app switches in and out.
>>
>>53873793
what's the last thing you did on your machine
also >>53868794
>>
>>53873896
Automatically and forced. You can make it search for updates now in Settings, but if you don't it will do it eventually on its own. You can't turn it off, select the old "notify but don't install" options, or select which updates you want.
>>
>>53873736
ok
better than nothing, thanks
>>
How do I add a search path to my compiler and linker to tell them where to search for header files and libraries?
>>
>>53873976
gcc: -I /path/to/include -L /path/to/libs

Typically you have this in CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS (for includes) and LDFLAGS (for libs) in your makefile.
>>
>>53873932
thnk you anon. appreciate.
>>
>>53874005
Let me rephrase. Let's say I had an external library called mylib.

I have a c++ program that wants to use mylib. In my code, I include the line
#include <mylib>

However, I put the program in my pictures directory, and the mylib header file is under C:\externallibraries

How can I tell the gcc compiler "hey, every time you see a #include <>, I want you to look inside C:\externallibraries
>>
>>53874048
Yes. If you use GCC you tell it to look for includes in a directory by adding -I to the command line (uppercase i, not lowercase L).
>>
>>53873947
> what's the last thing you did on your machine
The last thing I did was log out of my account.

Before that, though, I tried playing an old DOS game, but the sound was fucked up again, so I Alt-tabbed to task manager and killed the task. I was going to log out and log back in to see if it would get better, but the computer was unresponsive after logging in, so I restarted.

It still doesn't respond after logging in, though.

My account doesn't work, but the guest account does.

> also >>53868794
Thanks, I'll look into it.
>>
so i have this FILE.BIF file as a part of a video game and i need to see what's in it. how do?
>>
>>53874082
I will try that. Thanks for your help, anon.
>>
File: BIF.jpg (14 KB, 375x253) Image search: [Google]
BIF.jpg
14 KB, 375x253
>>53874096
I don't recall seeing BIF files. What game is it from and does Universal Extractor recognize the format?
>>
>>53873488
>dd
Get out of my lab?

>>53873541
I'm cloning to a drive of the same size

>dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=32M
I don't know what is this but I'll read a tutorial and hopefully not do something wrong.
>>
>>53873955
so i restart after every update
>>
Is there any way to view a private Twitter or its text content?
>>
>>53873588
>pawn it
???
I don't see how playing Chess would help.
>>
>>53874186
dd: Data duplicator
if: Input file, I put /dev/sda, your first hard disk. Verify first though.
of: Output file, I put /dev/sdb, the second hard disk which I assume is the one you want to write to. Verify that it is first since this one is going to get overwritten with a copy of the one listed for if=.
bs: Block size. 32M is a reasonable number. The default is 512 bytes, which results in much slower copying.

Note that progress is not displayed. To make it tell you where it is, open a second terminal and run
killall -USR1 dd
This will make dd in the first terminal print how much it's copied so far and how fast.

>>53874204
No, it'll install a bunch of updates and then prompt you to restart. If you aren't there to tell it OK, it'll go ahead and restart for you. More updates may be installed after the restart since they still don't seem to have figured out how to install all updates in one go.

>>53874215
Pawn as in take it to a pawn shop and sell it for like 1/10th its actual value.
>>
>>53870967
Nope, looks good. Might be worth considering 2x8GB of RAM, depending on your usage. I'm a fan of the G502 over the G400, but that's really a personal preference thing, the G400 is still a fine mouse.

I didn't check the PSU though, so make sure it's got the right plugs and no LEDs.
>>
between discord and curse for voip, which is the better option?
trying to get my faggot ass friends off of skype
>>
>>53874297
Discord is herpes, Curse is full blown AIDS
>>
After having not used my desktop much lately, I find that despite it not being clogged it runs crazy slow in comparison to my modern SSD laptop.
As far as I can tell, the limiting factor is the hard drive: For example I'm updating Steam games, and half the time is spent with no downloading and just data going through the disk.

IIRC, the hard drive on this computer is from '08, do hard drive speeds increase much over time?
>>
>>53874354
HDD technology improves some but not hugely. The biggest gains are in capacity, not seek times. If you want better speed, get an SSD. Use the HDD for movies and music, things that don't need super fast access.
>>
>>53874393
But if I got the fastest HDD on the market, how much faster might it be than what I got in '08?
Like, twice as fast? Four times?
>>
File: 1394170358229.jpg (92 KB, 616x528) Image search: [Google]
1394170358229.jpg
92 KB, 616x528
>>53874257
>dd: Data duplicator
I see now, thank you very much.
>>
>>53874416
I'm not sure but I'd probably expect something around a 15-50% increase. Of course that doesn't account for any wear and tear on your current drive, or any slowness your Windows has accumulated.
>>
>>53874443
Nobody's really sure where the name came from or what it stands for. There are those who jokingly say it's for Disk Destroyer or Data Destroyer because of what happens if you mix up if= and of=.
>>
>>53874257
also how do u set vlc as default player
>>
>>53874460
Wear and tear, that's something I never considered could happen to a drive but it makes sense.
Any way to test this?
>>
>>53874485
rate my build https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/PJNiel/saved/9cVMnQ
>>
What is /g/'s opinion on Crucial SSDs.
>>
>>53874485
Control Panel. Default Programs.
>>
>>53870147
what daw are you using
>>
>>53867777
Pass me the download link and ill create some php program to search the database.
>>
>>53874478
It's not just that now I know what dd means but at least know I know what to imput on the terminal.
never used a terminal before
>>
>>53874313
so what's better than herpes?
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/lawnfurniture/saved/tTtPxr

hows this for a budget build? graphics card will be given to me for free by a friend of mine, gonna upgrade eventually. not really sure on the motherboard tho
>>
>>53874608
I would stop at 8GB RAM and get a non-shit SSD.
>>
Should I bother installing Linux if I have no idea what i'm doing?
>>
Not sure if stupid and don't ask how but I have a Micro DVI to video(s video) adapter despite not having an early 2008 MacBook Air. No it's not the same as a mini DVI plug.

I guess people would display presentations from their computer onto a monitor etc.

My question is can someone help me find a female micro dvi adapter that will plug into my MacBook and can I run video from my tv monitor and record it onto my MacBook.

Help plz thnx
>>
Whats are the best £30-£60 headphones at the moment?
>>
File: qKq1nON.gif (1 MB, 326x256) Image search: [Google]
qKq1nON.gif
1 MB, 326x256
I use Norton 360 and for some reason it uses A LOT of cpu usage. Is there any reason to have norton? Or any other virus software. Now that I am more familiar with pc Im coming to the conclusion that Antivirus software is nothing more than a scam. I feel that I have been jewed out of my money for 10 years using norton.
>>
>>53874707
DVI is an output, not an input on a laptop.

>>53874773
Norton and McAfee are literally the worst. You would be better off with anything else other than the scamware ones like Antivirus 2016.
>>
>>53864599
>I'm going to provide you a software or a service with absolutely no support, service, help or anything at all. It is as it is and I can never be held responsible for anything at all. But hey it's free.
>In the meantime can you please tell me where you live, your hobbies and type of porn you are into? No? Ok, I'll find those from the way you are using our software that was provided to you with absolutely no support.
>Have I told you we don't support our users at all? Like, I can do whatever I want with the content you put on our software or service, but you are getting it for free am I right? ;)

Current state of software distribution free or proprietary disgusts me. What can I do about it is my stupid question.
>>
What does it mean if your computer slows down as your uptime rises, but your ram and CPU usage remain low?

Rebooting solves the problem, but that's just a band=aid.
>>
Why are C standard libraries like glibc necessary when all your applications are already precompiled binaries?
>>
>>53874858
Something is writing or reading something on hard drive with increased frequency or volume is my guess. Are you using dropbox on linux?
>>
>>53874876
I don't know much about computers but it makes sense to me that shared libraries would also be compiled libraries.

For example the binary you are running is referring to a binary that is in a compiled library. This is why you need to download additional files (-dev packages in general) when you try to compile things yourself. Because you need the uncompiled version.

Otherwise I guess every program would have to have a copy of glibc which wouldn't make sense.
>>
Hi built a pc from scratch recetnly and I had a few simple questions that I can't seem to get my head around. How do I create a recovery disk image? Also I'm really confused on how to install drivers, I downloaded a driver for wireless network adapter but it has no executable file to run, what do?
>>
>>53874929
Hi I* built a pc from scratch recently*
>>
>>53874929
dd if=/dev/sdX of=~/system_image.iso

That is if you have a dd-like utility. But in linux it's actually easier to just tar everything.

In windows, I'm pretty sure that you can find free software (as in free beer) that does this for you.
>>
>>53874257
>Pawn as in take it to a pawn shop and sell it for like 1/10th its actual value.
I never saw a pawn shop...
>>
>>53874887
I'm using linux, but not dropbox. I guess Ill look for a running program that might be doing something like that.
>>
>>53874993
I don't think they have them in your mom's basement.
>>
>>53875037
dmesg sometimes reveals a lot if the problem is something like not being able to reach a specific hardware.
>>
>>53874973
Sorry I don't understand.
>>
How often should someone upgrades their GPU?
>>
How do TARGA (.tga) files work?

I have a bunch of 588*882 (2:3) 32-bit depth tga files, why is it that if I resize them in gimp/irfanview/imagemagick to 3x+ the original dimensions and then export as png, they still look extremely good? Doing the same thing with common formats just turns things in to a pixelated mess.

Also, is there any software for dealing specifically with tga optimization/conversion? Or should I just automate it all with ImageMagick?
>>
For awhile now its like my pc's being slowed down by something, I mainly use it for gaming and its having a hard time with games that came out a couple of years ago even though it has all the required specs:

500gb ssd
GTX970 >>>>>inb4
intel i5 3570K + corsair h80 cooling
8gb's of something ram
and a 750W powersupply

I've stress tested everything and it all seems just fine and dandy what the fuck is wrong with my computer
>>
Whenever i scroll a page in firefox (even just for a bit) both CPU load and the fan go crazy

How to fix?
>>
>>53874993
Have you ever seen a CASH 4 GOLD sign?
>>
>>53875281
>>53875281
Also sometimes happens when switching tabs, selecting text or loading a captcha or stuff like that and it only started to happen very recently
>>
>40GB HDD were a real thing
Holy shit.
>>
>>53875228
This. Also, what's a reputable brand for IPS 1080p monitors in case my TV doesn't cut it?
>>
File: BeSoPm9CQAAq6Ne.jpg (111 KB, 590x813) Image search: [Google]
BeSoPm9CQAAq6Ne.jpg
111 KB, 590x813
>>53875373
Wanna know what else was a real thing?
>>
>>53875281
>>53875281
>1/1 Direct3D 11 (OMTC)

Is this a good setting for GPU window acceleration in ff or does it have to say OpenGL or something else instead?
>>
>>53875281
>>53875281
>Supports Hardware H264 Decoding: No; DXVA2D3D9 crashes detected in the past
>DXVA2D3D9 video decoding is disabled due to a previous crash.

What did my firefox config mean by this?

And how do i re-enable DXVA2D3D9 video decoding? Will this solve my CPU issue?
>>
>>53875418
SSDs are reaching non-sticker shock prices.
How long until HDD are a forgotten relic of the past like floppies?
>>
what is this black magic when i go over foxconn thread name
>>
>>53875644
>>How long until HDD are a forgotten relic of the past like floppies?
When future generations laugh at the concept of 500GB SSDs costing hundreds of dollars with the same gusto as we did at the mythical ~$3,000 10MB HDD.
>>
>>53875652
Looks like a bug, and it's supposed to show you the full thread title instead of a blank square.
>>
>>53875692
how stupid of me, ty anon
>>
>>53870349
avira
>>
>>53875228
at the beginning of each new console generation, so every 5 to 7 years
>>
What's a good external HDD that will be used by a couple of laptops for backing up/archiving 1080p footage originally from SD cards? Specific use case that will probably make fuck all difference, just thought I'd put it out there.
>>
>>53875991
>buy good internal drive
>buy enclosure
>put drive in enclosure
>>
File: linkedin profile pic.jpg (22 KB, 386x386) Image search: [Google]
linkedin profile pic.jpg
22 KB, 386x386
hey,

i must prepare a short course paper (10pages) on sematic web & machine learning. I'm new to the subject, so what are the most interesting aspects to include ?
thx
>>
>>53875991
Is this a better solution that just buying an ext HDD? Do you have a recommended enclosure?
>>
>>53876070
External HDDs more often have craptastic USB->SATA converters than enclosures do in my experience. For instance the drive might be capable of 100 MB/s or more, USB 2.0 will go up to about 25-32 MB/s, USB 3.0 much more. But with shitty converter the whole thing goes at 10 MB/s. I had one that performed about like that, then the stupid converter died, I cracked the thing open, extracted the drive and bought a new enclosure for it, and it went way faster.

As for what enclosure, look at the ratings on someplace like Newegg.
>>
>>53875373
huh? are you 12?
>>
>>53876173
Are you autistic?
>>
>>53876131
Thanks for the advice, I'll look around
>>
>>53874948
>>53874929
pls help guys, I'm trying to get my build finished but this is the only thing stopping me.
>>
Let's try again. Does someone know more about opus support of the fiio x3ii?
>>
>>53876320
give us more info on operating system and the hardware
>>
>>53876320
Installing a driver when they just give you .inf, .sys, .cat etc.: Go to device manager, double click on the device you're installing a driver for. Click the Update Driver button on the Driver tab. Choose "Browse my computer". Click browse and choose the folder where you extracted the .inf and so forth. Then click next and pray it installs the driver.

Recovery image: Get to "Backup and Restore" in control panel. Click "Create a system image" on the right. This will let you create a backup of your system exactly as it is right now, on either a USB stick or a stack of DVDs.
>>
File: ddos-attacks1.png (522 KB, 1134x768) Image search: [Google]
ddos-attacks1.png
522 KB, 1134x768
So I think my computer's being used for DDoS attacks or something. I have 100mb connection and videos won't load properly, even at 480p. Also, when I do the speedtest, it says I'm in san jose rather than in Spain, and google just asked me if I'm a robot because they are detecting an "unusual package traffic" coming from me.

Weird thing is, any online game still works as usual with no problem or increased ping, but I can't load any videos.
Any way to fix this without formating the PC?
>>
>>53876422
>Any way to fix this without formating the PC?
no
>>
>>53876422
>it says I'm in san jose rather than in Spain, and google just asked me if I'm a robot because they are detecting an "unusual package traffic" coming from me

Are you using a proxy or VPN? If so, you're seeing the speed and location of the other end of it. If you aren't, go get MalwareBytes AntiMalware (the free one is fine) because it looks like something set up what's basically a proxy or VPN for you.
>>
Anyone here with knowledge on ios/Apple stuff?

I bought an iPad without thinking much of it to later find out its icloud locked

I've come to the conclusion that there is now way to bypass this and I'm stuck with a semi brick device. However, is it possible to be able to jailbreak a locked device to get some use out of it?
>>
>>53876585
return it jarom
or
sell it for parts
>>
>>53876585
what ipad version is it?
what ios version is it?
give us more info tyrone
>>
>>53870229
If it's an iPhone, in some cases it doesn't show new email notifications. New iOS I suppose
>>
Why Can't i overclock my AMD Phenom II X6 1100T to 4ghz? I have a decent cooler (Noctua NH-U9B SE2 )

The voltage is 1.415 and it wont go over 3.7 ghz without crash. Stockspeed is 3.3ghz
>>
>>53876650
Yes, it starts vibrating but don't show any message. Don't know why
>>
>>53875280
extra ram maybe.

8gb feels too light and too silly for me. might not solve your problem but it couldn't hurt.
>>
>>53876602
>>53876627

There's nothing worse than being called by these black names, I Guess I deserve it. Irony being I bought it off a nigger who showed me it turned on and went to a hello screen at a bar. Didn't know much about Apple stuff and still don't to have known better.

Now to the point

It's an iPad mini 2(?) and It's currently on 9.1 and kept it there. I recently also found out about that dns bypass which allowedme to get some use from it( mostly YouTube)

Is there anything I can do because of jailbreak being available for 9.1?
>>
>>53875937
that's honestly a long time between cards.
>>
>>53876687
Overclocking is a dice roll, you may just have gotten the short straw.
>>
>>53876687
luck of the draw

if you are willing to go the extra mile: try disabling any power-saving features and altering the PLL voltage
>>
>>53869418
>Visa paywave
>>
>>53875228
Whenever the settings you have to use to get an acceptable framerate on the games you play become too low.
>>
>>53876816
anything else is pure luxury and not really needed
>>
SQ: Is /g/ only about computer tech/ consumer tech or can I talk about things like aeronautics or nuclear or submarines development here?
>>
So my origin account got hacked (I reset the pass on a different machine and turned 2fa on my email account) I've scanned the first PC with around 7 AVs and setup tinywall (firewall software) now am I correct in assuming that a firewall will block the malware? also how probable is it that I have malware? my password was QWEmnb123 (changed it on everything)
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.