[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 68
File: lol.jpg (67 KB, 400x445) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
67 KB, 400x445
No /sqt/ in catalog.

Old thread: >>53491968

Post your problems here, but only after you google them.
>>
File: ada.png (2 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
ada.png
2 MB, 1000x1000
>>53504918
What are the must-learn languages for an entry to web dev, assuming you're experience in back-end/app programming already?
>>
I've got a chance to buy a leased HP 8470p, which has:
>Intel CORE i7-3520M III Gen 4 x 3,6Ghz
>14,1 inch screen (1600 x 900)
>16GB RAM
>Intel HD 4000 2GB
>256GB SSD

How much is it worth?
There is going to be an open live auction for one of those tomorrow in one of the computer shops I know and I wouldn't want to pay too much. I saw similar devices go for about 600$.
>>
>>53504888
You can't upgrade notebooks...
The GPU acceleration makes my shitty netbook runs 720p videos!
>>
>>53504989
Is it used?

I personally wouldn't pay more than $400 or so if new, but that's just because I don't really need one.
>>
I have 8gb of RAM, how much should I set initial and maximum size of virtual memory, 8000 and 16000? It's set at this values but max used is 11000 (in Afterburner).
>>
>>53504744
TOR doesn't make the download extremely slow??
>>
>>53505007
It's used, but in good shape.

I think I won't bring more than 300$, maybe I'll get lucky.
>>
File: software-779776_640.png (98 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
software-779776_640.png
98 KB, 640x640
There is somewhere a guide on how to use AppchanX? There are some things I don't understand yet in this addon, and I would like to read instead of making many questions here, in this board.
>>
What's a married drive?
Supposedly we have one at work but googling that only brings court cases about marriage and stuff in hard drives
>>
>>53505011
Your minimum allowed should be super small, as you don't want it to use your disk if you can help it.

Max is fine around 16gigs.
>>
>>53505065
What don't you understand? Most of the settings are fairly self-explanatory, unless you want to go nuts with filtering.
>>
>>53505022
tor is faster than the speed limit on most of these sites
not that it matters for me, tor is faster than my internet connection itself, too
>>
>>53505073
Appears to be a pun.
>>
>>53505073
when 2 drives love each other alot something magiacl happens
>>
File: RAID_1_01.png (167 KB, 1044x975) Image search: [Google]
RAID_1_01.png
167 KB, 1044x975
>>53505073
No clue, maybe they're talking about RAID?
>>
>>53505095
>tor is faster than my internet connection itself, too
Shit, do you have a dial-up connection? TOR is slow as fuck!
>>
>>53505091
I don't understand what is this sidebar. It only has the board's banner and name.
>>
>>53505099
>>53505103
>>53505112
I have no idea, we have a back up drive and I was going to turn it on because a girl needed some files, and my boss yelled at me for a good amount of time because supposedly that one is a "married drive" and I shouldn't be turning it on as if it were just a normal back up drive
>>
my wife's dumb son bought a used, probably stolen, iPhone. it has an iCloud account on it. is there a safe way to factory reset it without it locking up? it's still usable at the moment but doest access app store.
>>
>>53505118
~12/1 down/up
tor feels a lot slower when you use it for web browsing because it adds a lot of latency, but latency doesn't affect mass downloads
>>
>>53505138
Your boss understands technology?
It could be a pun that someone applied on him.
>>
File: tumblr_o3blrrL5dD1tnkk55o2_500.png (362 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3blrrL5dD1tnkk55o2_500.png
362 KB, 500x350
>>53504918
Didn't mean to bump so soon, but due to the new thread...
Looking for an ambidextrous mouse. I'm left handed and I want a mouse with 2 thumb buttons on the right side, but I'm not sure what's good. Any recommendations, even manufacturer suggestions would help. Thanks.
>>
>>53505151
>~12/1 down/up
What does that mean?

>tor feels a lot slower when you use it for web browsing because it adds a lot of latency, but latency doesn't affect mass downloads
Understood.
>>
>>53505134
It can have mascots as well, plus it's where the QR box is by default.

Plus, there's lots of nice things in the top right for navigation and whatnot.

Play around with the settings and see what you like.
>>
>>53505197
12Mbps download
1Mbps upload
>>
>>53505138
Sounds like RAID, but if it wasn't on, then well

¯\(°_o)/¯
i dunno lol
>>
Did Open NIC DNS died for anyone else just now?
>>
>>53505198
>It can have mascots as well
Mascots? You mean waifus? This is stupid as fuck.

>plus it's where the QR box is by default.
QR floats, it's not part of the sidebar. It's larger than sidebar, by the way.

>Plus, there's lots of nice things in the top right for navigation and whatnot.
This can't be on top, but the sidebar eliminated or replaced by something useful?

>Play around with the settings and see what you like.
I already looked the settings, I'd prefer a guide.
>>
>>53505209
How you know these values?
>>
I use VLC, does that make me a bad person, if so why?
>>
>>53504969
HTML and CSS aren't programming languages per se, and you don't exactly write HTML by hand in this day and age, but you need to know them.

you need Javascript. Lots of it. Pick up one or two of the latest meme frameworks and build something simple with them so you can say you know them.

Congratulations, you're now a web dev
>>
>>53505318
Just set sidebar to minimal and move on with your life.

This will prevent it from linebreaking at that spot.
>>
File: Figura1.png (21 KB, 983x558) Image search: [Google]
Figura1.png
21 KB, 983x558
A dumb class in UNI requires me to 3D print a Figure I made on Autocad.

Thing is, I have NO knowledge whatsoever since not only its one of my first times using Autocad, but I-ve never 3d printed anything before. (pic related is figure)

Now, the thing is, I dont really know how this works, since the measurements I used on my figure, for example the bottom part are: 21.25 X 30 inches, because thats what the dumb lady wrote in the exam.

Obviously, this is huge, and I dont want to 3d Print something this fucking huge but I also dont know how the whole 3D printing works.

Can they press a button or two there so the piece I want to 3d print comes out smaller? I mean... can somebody just explain pls
>>
File: 1413773911149.jpg (130 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1413773911149.jpg
130 KB, 1024x576
>>53505354
It's just a meme, anon. Relax.

VLC used to have rendering bugs that would make it do things like this, especially on the latest new-hotness codecs and containers. In my experience at least it's a lot better nowadays. If it plays the shit you want played, then go ahead and use it.
>>
>>53505374
>Javascript
Well shit, okay.

Thanks anon, time to Javascript my shit up.
>>
File: figura2.png (24 KB, 1059x610) Image search: [Google]
figura2.png
24 KB, 1059x610
>>53505398

Another view.
>>
>>53505398
Probably depends on the 3D printer's software.

I would assume most things have an option to scale down.
>>
Sup /sqt/, I have some hard disk related question

I have 3 hard disks, one operating as SATA II while the other two are on SATA III but are running as SATA II because of the first hard disk.

I'm planning to get a 850 EVO to replace the first to get rid of the bottleneck, but one of the SATA III drives is running at 5900 RPM and the other at 7200 RPM. Would this maintain some sort of bottleneck or does the SSD not get tied down to the 5900rpm disk's speed?

I know people use their SSD as the OS drive and keep mechanical drives for backups/other data so it shouldn't matter, but I'm just wondering. Also the 850 EVO PRO is definitely NOT worth the steep price-tag since the newer memory controller has hardly any advantages for daily use, right?
>>
>>53505470

Well another reason why I ask, is because I wouldnt want to resize every bit of the figure.
>>
>>53505407
that pic has happened to me before but whenever I use mpc as a backup it had double the problems. This is just my experience of course
>>
>>53505041
The SSD alone could be worth as much as $100 depending on the brand.

The screen is small, the cpu is probably the most expensive thing on there. Eh $350-450 at most. You still need a hdd for storage, it probably doesn't have another storage bay hence no hdd to begin with. I'd just get something new desu, custom laptops are a thing.
>>
>>53505475
Even if the SSD only runs at SATA 2 speeds (which it shouldn't, the controller should be smart enough to run SATA 3 drives at SATA 3 and SATA 2 drives at SATA 2) then it'll still be a big boost, since you still get the primary benefit of an SSD - near-zero latency. This is a much bigger thing than peak MB/s.

The rotational speed of the HDDs doesn't affect anything other than how fast that particular HDD is or isn't. Fast and slow drives can coexist fine.

And yes, if you don't know why you need the more expensive SSD, you don't need the more expensive SSD.
>>
File: alien_glow.jpg (122 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
alien_glow.jpg
122 KB, 640x480
https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/13642691/Slysoft_AnyDVD_7.6.9.0_Final___Patch_BRD___ElbyCDIO.dll

anyone use this with success? I don't feel like paying 140yurops for this shit when it should be free

Posting in this thread as well incase one gets deleted
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/L3swNG

Anything wrong with this build?
Ima casual gamer and want to get in to 3d modeling
>>
>>53504918
There was this minimalism blog posted here few times. Anyone got link?
>>
>>53505398
normally what you'd do is export it to a format such as stl, then import it into a program that converts it to layers and paths for the 3d printer to follow, often you can scale the model down from here, otherwise it will try to make something that is the same size as the model was designed
>>
How do I know whether a CPU is bust or not?

I've bought a shady xeon CPU (ES) and am putting it in an Asus x99ws, however the CPU_diag led lights up on boot and after a few seconds the "catastrophic error" led starts glowing, tried ECC RAM, non-ECC, with or without sticks/GPU, makes no difference.

Can I know for sure there's nothing wrong with the motherboard without actually owning another compatible motherboard?
>>
>>53505649

I did convert it to .stl

Thing is, I just wouldnt want it to make a model this huge.

What should I do anon?
>>
>>53505686
You can try clearing the CMOS. If you have access to some other CPU to put in the board you can try updating the BIOS (UEFI, whatever), it's not unheard of for boards to barf with CPUs they don't recognize.

If that doesn't work either the CPU is toast or the board just won't work with an ES.
>>
Anyone here has had any luck cracking a WPA password with something other than reaver? I've had it work for me but only in very few occasions, apparently it only works with ancient routers. And bruteforcing is just a waste of time.

Any other tools you'd recommend?
>>
>>53505616
Lots of things. Ddr4 is way experiennsive at the moment. Get an i5 4690k and an lga 1050 mobo and ddr3 ram. 16 gb is

Get a semi modular seasonic or xfx power supply.

Get rid of that kingston and seagate shit. Wd blue and samsung 850 evo instead

960 is underpowered as fuck. For that price you can get an r9 380 which will run better.
>>
I have an interview with Amazon for a DevOps position and another tech company. Each one have an hour long interview scheduled, one over the phone and the other online.

I don't do well under pressure and feel like I'll lose my shit on some easy stuff. How do you guys review for interviews? How should I prepare for spacing out completely?
>>
>>53505379
I prefer adding something useful to it. Is it possible?
>>
>>53505912
>I have an interview with Amazon
>I don't do well under pressure
you're pretty fucked even if you get the job, m8
>>
>>53505935
Yep.
>>
>>53505644
Why do you need the exact blog? Why don't you Google another one?
>>
>>53505963
What useful can I add?
>>
>>53505991
Literally anything you want, assuming you know a little Javascript and CSS.
>>
>>53505939
Probably. I just haven't done anything like binary search trees and shit in a long time for my current job. I feel like I know the concept but actually programming it will make me feel stupid
>>
>>53506017
I don't know Javascript.
I know CSS, though. But I don't want to use it.
Can't I just select some options on a menu?
>>
There's a notion in the United States to ditch daylight savings time.
If they do get rid of the one hour shift, will computer systems in factories, corporations, hospitals, etc. suffer a desynchronization between old and new systems?
Do old and new computers have the ability to calibrate to adapt to new regulations in the future?
>>
Is Windows 10 as bad as everyone says it is? Is it any better/worse/the same as Windows 8.1? Almost every new purchasable computer comes with Windows 10. Is there anything I should know/do if I get one?
>>
Can an independent programmer still be successful nowadays?
>>
>>53506389
You can make indie gaymes or become a bug bounty hunter.
>>
>>53506389

Friend of mine makes some money here and there making websites.

Since most people dont know how to program I guess yes, you could make money out of it.
>>
File: usb_mobo_error.png (40 KB, 756x268) Image search: [Google]
usb_mobo_error.png
40 KB, 756x268
Since I built my desktop a few months ago, I've had a pretty regular issue that I haven't been able to solve.

Sometimes, seemingly at random, my PC will not come back from having the screens turned off after idling. It seems unresponsive, so I hold the power button on the case to reboot.

When I boot up the PC again, the motherboard throws a "B4" error code. According to the manual (pictured), the "B4" code means "USB device hot plug-in". Typically I resolve this by unplugging all of my USB devices and rebooting again, which results in a successful boot.

However this happens fairly regularly and I haven't been able to ascertain why. I'd like to find out if this issue is being caused by my motherboard, or by bad chipset drivers, or whatever it might be so I can stop it from happening. I've temporarily fixed it by changing my power settings to make it so my screen never turns off automatically.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>53506340
The US can't even ditch something as stupid as the penny. This is not happening anytime soon.

Any software/firmware that can be updated can circumvent this.
>>
>>53506531
I dont see how they can be related.
Check your motherboard settings related to usb and make sure they are correct.
Try to balance your devices across the front/back,you may be overloading it.

Check out what your monitors DPMS and your gfx DPMS settings are.
>>
Can someone help me with command line?
Basically I have CBZ file with multiple JPG/PNG files I want to unpack it then convert those files to WEBP then repack it to CBZ.

How to do that all in one go? or a simple bash script?
>>
>>53505527
Thanks man good to know. The differences between the PRO and regular EVO are really not that drastic at all. For average usage they're hardly there.

Also I'm looking through my motherboard diagram & manual to see if maybe it's actually only SATA II ports that it has. Even though SATA III has been around for some 8-9 years in mainstream products, the board is about the same age. Even still, to get full SATA II speeds would considerably make things faster with hardly any latency like you said.
>>
>>53506762
>>53506762
>Check your motherboard settings related to usb and make sure they are correct.

All my BIOS settings appear to be fine.

>Try to balance your devices across the front/back,you may be overloading it.

The motherboard and case have a total of 8 USB ports and I'm only using 4 of them on a regular basis.

>Check out what your monitors DPMS and your gfx DPMS settings are.

I'm not too sure what that means. How would I go about checking this?
>>
>>53506871
I think 7zip can do that.
>>
I need help. My FPS is about half of what it usually is across multiple games. Is my GPU dying or what? Temperatures don't even reach their max threshold.
>>
>>53507154
>dpms
Go in to your ati/nvidia settings and look for digtial power management.
Make sure the card is setup properly.
Depending on how old your monitor is,it might have dpms settings on it,check how they are or set them to their intended functionality.

Beyond that i would say it is a hardware issue on either the gfx card,the gfx card cables, or your monitor
>>
>>53507043
>The ICH7’s Serial ATA controller offers four independent Serial ATA ports with a
theoretical maximum transfer rate of 3 Gbits/sec per port. One device can be installed
on each port for a maximum of four Serial ATA devices. A point-to-point interface is
used for host to device connections, unlike Parallel ATA IDE which supports a
master/slave configuration and two devices per channel.

>3Gbits/sec
Oh well.
>>
>>53507205
no
>>
File: stoner.png (33 KB, 633x633) Image search: [Google]
stoner.png
33 KB, 633x633
anyone here ever purchase a coding bundle from a site like stacksocial? Don't know a lick of coding but really want to get some basics down. The course is done by Stone River Elearning.

I'm trying to get into a coding bootcamp and have signed up for some tutoring from the bootcamp organization but also want to have some knowledge before I go into tutoring sessions.

>inb4 learn to code on your own, I tried and failed miserably
>>
>>53506372
>Is Windows 10 as bad as everyone says it is?
yes

>Is it any better/worse/the same as Windows 8.1?
worse
>>
File: nvidia.png (87 KB, 974x718) Image search: [Google]
nvidia.png
87 KB, 974x718
>>53507220
Hm, this is the only power setting I'm finding in my NVIDIA control panel (running a GTX 980).

It's currently set to "Adaptive" rather than "Maximum Performance".
>>
Just bought a Cougar 600K, connected to the pc and it isn't working. The only thing that he does is to keep blinking the NumLock key.
Help?
>>
File: 1398469401944.gif (2 MB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
1398469401944.gif
2 MB, 360x202
I want to remotely view and control my desktop from a laptop on a different network, its something I've literally never needed to do or think about before.

pic unrelated.

Can anyone tell me the best way to go about it, (the only way i know is a dedicated remote desktop application) and recommend me an ideal method?
>>
>>53507474
open ports on router
openvnc
>>
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/100-series/100s-11-inch/?cid=us:display:uzj7qy

How do you think arch would fair on this /g/ ?
>>
>>53507237
Its back to normal after completing cutting power to my system. Weird. Maybe it was supply bad power or something?
>>
>>53507508
Looks good, thanks mate.
>>
what's a /g/ approved laptop in the $400-600 range?
>>
Pls help me mount my hdd to raspberry! Fdisk doesn't list it nor does anything from google help. My windows computers and lg tv detect it instantly. I formated everything and since cheap ass tv can detect it i doubt its about proprietary crap stopping it. Tried with both ntfs and ext4 (yes i have installed ntfs support on raspberry).
>>
File: botnet.png (19 KB, 1897x570) Image search: [Google]
botnet.png
19 KB, 1897x570
Did chrome change the downloads section? when did this happen fuck did i install another botnet? I have enough already
>>
>>53507681
does it show up using lsblk?
>>
>>53507701
chrome gets redesigned into material-design.
that's how it looks.
>>
>>53507703
No it only lists boot partition and / from sd card... :/
>>
>>53507907
do you have libata?
>>
File: speedof.me_history_16-03-15.png (72 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
speedof.me_history_16-03-15.png
72 KB, 1200x800
My internet has been suffering from slow speeds (soemtimes literally kb) randomly every few weeks so I called a technician.

He found the issue and fixed it and my internet speed was resolved. He told me that I had two splitters where there were cables going nowhere and said that was the issue. I don't know much about hardware but that sounds really damn shoddy. Is it true? Or was he just feeding me bullshit?
>>
So I was trying to get into pc gaming and it turns out it's not as easy as I thought
I thought there would be plenty of results for god of war on kikasstorrents but to my huge surprise this is not the case.
Why is this not the case and how do I play GoW on my pc now?
>>
>>53508056
If you have cable,then yes he isnt bullshitting you.You have extra splitters when you didnt need them and you had loops or wasted ends connected to each other.
>>
>>53508096
that is because God of War is a playstation exclusive game?
>>
If I install a pirated N version of Windows 8.1 can I get Windows Media Player from the microsoft website or do I have to pirate that aswell?
>>
>>53508055
I have no idea what that is nor how do i check if i have it.
>>
Is there any way to spoof the client in Transmission for Windows? If you want to know why I just think it would be kekworthy to put something meme tier.
>>
File: 1432844714985.png (71 KB, 576x352) Image search: [Google]
1432844714985.png
71 KB, 576x352
"Could not find the recovery environment"

I want to clean out my tablet for trading in but I cannot do this because of the error above, how can I solve this, I've googled around and I'm stumped , I don't want to ruin my tablet tinkering around with it. Please help.
>>
>>53505644
bump
>>
>>53508117
sorry I am a complete retard when it comes to this
I was under the assumption no matter how a game is released, you will be able to find pirated versions for pc
I realize this must be a really stupid question but why is this not true?
They do it with handheld device games
Also are there any non pc exclusives available for pc download?
If so why are they available while other games aren't?
>>
>>53508122
That's like finding out the chemotherapy was successful and then asking your doctor how you can get the cancer back. Why the fucking hell you would do something like that I will never understand but here you go.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40744
>>
>>53508127
modprobe libata
Its a module to enable ATA support. It might not be enabled or loaded,which is why it cannot find the drive within your pic install
>>
File: 1448530598311.jpg (103 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1448530598311.jpg
103 KB, 540x960
>>53508179
>https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40744

Thanks
>>
>>53508161
>you can play any game on pc
Not true

>handheld device games
They do it by emulating the game software and you'll find that there aren't emulators for all consoles/handhelds. Like I'm sure there are no 3ds emulator and more infamously there are no Xbox emulators because the xbox had very poor documentation and no one really knows the implementation except for the people who have worked on it so it is really hard to emulate.

>why are they available while other aren't
refer to above, you can find emulators for most consoles as long as your system can handle it.
PS2
Wii
Gamecube
and the rest of the older consoles with very rare consoles and Xbox being exceptions.
Even many arcade games are emulated.
>>
>>53508135
Use third party backup software and not the shit from microsoft
>>
Why do applications need to be programmed for multiple core processors, why can't the OS delegate specific programs to specific cores?
>>
>>53508185
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:557 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.1.18-v7+/modules.dep.bin'

I guess you're onto something, how do we fix this?
>>
>>53508244
do you recommend any?
>>
>>53508234
how about newer generation?
ps3, ps4, xbox 360, xbox one.
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/taem50/saved/Wgx7YJ

>Intel Core i5-6400
>MSI B150 PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
>Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
>Cooler Master Elite 350 ATX Mid Tower Case w/500W Power Supply

Stock CPU cooler should be just fine.

I already have 4 1TB hdds, an SSD, and a DVDRW drive so I'll be reusing those. I don't game and I don't do anything really cpu intensive except some very light gaming.

'm upgrading unwillingly because it's high time for stuff like m.2, ddr4, usb 3.1 etc. not a gamer at all but move tons of files and rarely close tabs (150tabs+), I write papers, etc.

Is this fine or what? Is 500W enough?

A cheaper build (by about $50) would also be possible with ddr3/i5 4600
>>
>>53508266
Youll have to go in to the kenel makeconfig and enable libata support.
>>
I woke up this morning to several texts with my "Steam Access Code"

So I went on my steam and removed my debit, changed the password, and enabled steam guard. Then I went to my email and there were a ton of emails in Russian, which when translated were confirmations and also an email showing someone signing up for steam support with my email and not my username. So i changed my email password, I also checked all the locations my email was accessed from and the only ones present were mine.

I just opened a ticket with steam support stating that someone might be trying to gain access to my account and that they created a support account.

Did I do everything I can do? Am I fucked /g/?
>>
>>53508280
I used to use acronis back when i used windows xp.
>>
>>53508289
I'm also using XP32bit so I guess 4gb ram instead of 8.
>>
I understand that this might sound a bit immature but... Sometimes when you play a game the server admin is a complete fag. Is there any easy way to take down game server? Not talking about D(D)oS since it doesn't seem to work, but some other trick you can use to at least make it lag like hell.
>>
>>53508289
>ddr4
You dont need ddr4,its too expensive and you wont have a need for what it offers.
Get ddr3-2400

>>53508322
Why are you using 32bit?????
You fucking definatly dont need ddr4
>>
>>53508288
>xbox 360
yes but it is pretty bad and requires a really really damn good computer.

>ps3
I see one on google but if it is legit or works I dunno.

>ps4/one
no
>>
File: 1431491524744.jpg (44 KB, 636x616) Image search: [Google]
1431491524744.jpg
44 KB, 636x616
>>53508341
>>
>>53508288
Use a search engine. Type in the name of the console and add the word "emulator" (e.g. "playstation 4 emulator").
>>
File: seriously black.jpg (15 KB, 452x399) Image search: [Google]
seriously black.jpg
15 KB, 452x399
>>53508341
>>
>>53508300
Im sorry but this is /sqt/, got any guidance? Assume Im a retard.
>>
>>53508354
>>53508360
alright great to know
thanks a lot
>>
File: 1373889868629.gif (2 MB, 331x248) Image search: [Google]
1373889868629.gif
2 MB, 331x248
>>53508341
>>
>>53508403
You will need to recompile your kernel and enable support for libata. Im not sure why it would not be enabled by default.But it looks like it isnt
>>
>>53508358
>>53508371
>>53508415
I didn't ask for some faggot to samefag my post
>>
File: 1432013755350.png (2 MB, 1877x981) Image search: [Google]
1432013755350.png
2 MB, 1877x981
>>53508341
>>53508428
>>
>>53508428
You kinda did mate.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (169 KB, 650x800) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
169 KB, 650x800
I just moved all my components to a new case, the Corsair 300R. I started playing Rainbow Six Siege, and everything started to get choppy. These are currently my temperatures. Are they normal?
>>
Wanna start streaming games like Bf4 and Warframe, currently have FX 6300 and a 680
My plan is to upgrade to i7 and a 980Ti, but not sure what should I buy first the cpu or the gpu?
>>
I was looking through the comments of a game torrent and a lot of people were having this "upstart" issue, and the only fix i saw was some dude saying "never install to program files or program files (x86)"
what is this upstart issue and should i indeed never install to program files?
>>
I'm doing a fresh install of Firefox and removing my profile, I have chosen to export my bookmarks in html, when I import them will any of the information from my old profile be attached?
>>
>>53508348
I'm using XP32bit because I don't want to have a fresh install and my current OS is pirated. I can easily pirate something like Win7 too but eh I don't want to reinstall everything.

Also the two options I'm going for are pretty much the same price. i5-6400/ddr4 i5-4460/ddr3. The motherboards would end up costing the same pretty much.

I know I don't NEED ddr4 ram it's just that the cpus are haswell/skylake and the boards for each one have different kinds of ram slots.

The difference between the two is about $50 in total. I'm just wondering if I left out anything is all...
>>
>>53508535
CPU is overheating. Reapply thermal place and see if the cooler/heatsink is mounted properly.
>>
>>53508543

Installing to program files is normally due to issues with Windows and admin rights. In my experience install to programs files as much as you want but run the shortcut as admin or add "run as admin" in the shortcuts command
>>
File: Unbenannt.png (66 KB, 634x364) Image search: [Google]
Unbenannt.png
66 KB, 634x364
how to fix this ugly shit in firefox classic theme restorer? Was looking fine til today.
>>
>>53508543
>never install
Those are the only 2 locations you should be no matter what.
>>
>>53508562
>bookmarks
Of course not,you're just exporting your bookmarks.If you need/want more you shouold look at febe
>>
>>53508597
>>53508624
thanks a lot dudes
>>
>>53508577
Took it apart and found that my rear fan cable was resting on the fan for the cooler. Kinda feel retarded now.

Thanks for your help.
>>
File: stallman.jpg (28 KB, 220x330) Image search: [Google]
stallman.jpg
28 KB, 220x330
>>53508262
Because the OS doesn't know whether or not you want to work on one core, one thread or 4 cores with a shit ton of threads. And it making that decision for you could fuck your program up.

Plus the OS doesn't mess with your code, and you have to program each core. So if anything it should be compiler-writers and even then, how do they know you don't want it running on one core?
>>
>>53508428
no, faggot, what you did was ask how to take down a server.

Well here you go, fucking figure it out. There are an infinite amount of ways to take down said server you autistic fuck, but if you think /g/ or even a respected community would ever help you need to go back to hacker school nigga.

If it's that important, you'll figure it out. Until then here ya go, tis where you belong

these guys love fagposts
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>53507412
Anyone?
>>
I was banned from contributing on the installgentoo wiki - seemingly for no reason. It says to contact an admin to appeal the ban, but I can't find one who moderates the installgentoo wiki. How do I resolve the issue?
>>
>>53508341
>I understand that this might sound a bit immature but...
understatement of the day
>>
>>53508757
upgraded to windows 10 and now i dont have mcafree dosent bother me but wondering if itll leave leftovers behind after upgrade to 10
>>
What are some good file sharing websites? File hosting. Image hosting. Audio hosting. Video hosting.

For example http://postimage.org/ is my go-to image host.
>>
>>53508794
>upgraded
>to windows 10
what were you running before? CP/M?
>>
>>53505644
anyone?
>>
File: Mesh_Site.png (88 KB, 370x312) Image search: [Google]
Mesh_Site.png
88 KB, 370x312
So /g/ answer me this.
I have very limited Internet access. During times with access, I go directly to the sites that I need, and download as much as possible before the connection is lost.
It would be extremely beneficial to me to download a mesh of links, and to be able to navigate through them in my own leisure in an offline web viewer.
Is that possible?
Now to be clear, I'd prefer to avoid having to download each webpage individually and then open them one-by-one in a browser. It's more awkard doing that, looking for the right page out of many, closing them to find another to open, collecting them all in a messy folder.
I'm wondering if there's a Firefox add-on or application that allows to download the page you're on, and the pages that are linked on that page. Choosing to download 0-10 pages in, or something like that.
>>
>>53508811
>>
>>53508800
mega.nz
webm.land
>>
>>53508800
pomf.is
>>
>>53508832
Could pose a threat to your computer if you download script that wasn't meant to be downloaded.
>>
File: 2016-03-15 at 21.36.59.png (12 KB, 395x371) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-15 at 21.36.59.png
12 KB, 395x371
>>53508843
Mega has to fucking LOAD before it's ready to upload. Bloating as shit. My current one is better than that!
>>
>>53508871
because it loads its web-page contents once and only does API calls to the backend afterwards without requiring the page to refresh.
>>
>>53508832
>tries to make mesh site
>summons an eldritch horror

Nice going, turbo nerd.
>>
File: Photo comparision.jpg (1 MB, 3823x4302) Image search: [Google]
Photo comparision.jpg
1 MB, 3823x4302
>>53508860
Thank you!
That is almost perfect. There's no out links though. I want to contact whoever made this. I want to know if there's a desktop version, or a menubar app, or something similar.
>>
>>53508832
httptrach
>>
>>53508122
I was under the implication that only the media center was gone, not the media player. Either way, use VLC
>>
>>53508939
>use MPC-HC
Fixed it for you :^)
>>
File: meme.png (33 KB, 688x434) Image search: [Google]
meme.png
33 KB, 688x434
Since Friday my Pc has been randomly crashing, I have tried everything In my knowledge.

This happens: while watching netflix or playing certain games

It just goes to a gray screen, I can't see my mouse or open task manager nothing works anymore. If there is sound it will either stop or repeat it self endlessly.

Also this doesn't happen every few minutes rather then every few hours (If it happens at all)

So when this happens i just press the off button for five seconds an then restart with no prblems at all everything is normal again

What i have tried: Adware cleaner, Avast (at 50% no Virus so far), checked all my fans and temps and everything is as usual.

So I'm guessing bad ram, or dying HDD?
>>
File: IMG_20160315_234451.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160315_234451.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
What do you use to elevate your monitor to right height?
>>
>>53508992
Mein Kampf
>>
What ultimately determines how well a pc can run media? I'm using a very old laptop in my bedroom connected to a TV to play movies in bed, but if the file is over 1GB it will lag horribly. I'm wondering for if/when I upgrade what to look out for, also on this subject can Raspberry Pi's or any Android Boxes support VGA/DVI?
>>
>>53508971
Have you tried reseating everything?

Run prime95 for an hour and check your temps.
If that isnt an issue run memtest86+ for 24 hours.
No problem still its software related and you'll have to start with that
>>
Recently all wireless devices keep losing connection to my wifi. I believe someone is de-authing devices, sometimes one at a time, sometimes all wireless devices get deauthed. I'm assuming someone is fucking around because nothing happens to wired devices and the wifi doesn't get disabled. I also switch frequencies so there's minimal interferance.

1) If someone actually is doing this to my network, how can I fight back the de-auths?

is there a way to detect the device doing this?

Checked router logs and besides some SYN floods I couldn't find anything on this matter.
>>
>>53509024
depends entirely on the codec used
my media pc can play 4k at 60 frames per second without sweat but can't play a 1080p30 VP9 file.

so make sure your CPU/GPU can decode whatever you want natively.
>>
>>53509041
>de-authed
What do you mean exactly?

Simple as changing your password to something non-retarded
You should limit your router to specific macs so random fags cant get in to your network via password
>>
>>53509031
Yes I did reseat the ram 3 hours ago everything is normal right now no crashes. I just asked In case this happens again. Also I have not run prime95 but I had speccy open on a second monitor while playing for 1 hour and everything was fine.

Still thanks for the answer. If my pc will crash again I will try memtest
>>
>>53508931
Thank you. Downloading it now.
>>
>>53509081
No.Run prime95
It tops out your cpu with no spikes,flat stable usage.Playing a game is nowhere near as taxing.And using a "i look over when i want to" as benchmark is asinine.
>>
File: 131484-L-HI.jpg (28 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
131484-L-HI.jpg
28 KB, 800x800
Hiya / g /
I currently using the modern provided by my isp (telstra gateway) and have it hard wired to the 1 gigabyte port but still experiencing slow downs time to time. I know this is probably casuesd by multiple devices being connected,but is it worth buying a sub 100 dollars meme router like pic related?
>>
>>53509068
You know, you can de-authorize devices on networks to be able to capture a handshake between a router and a device to later crack the pass. I do macfiltering already.
Nobody has gotten into the network yet, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I guess that capturing handshakes over and over again of the same network would be dumb(if they don't change it very often).
>>
>>53507376

Shit...
>>
>>53509125
Check the configuration on the modem. I assume you mean the wifi is slow. Check which channels are less used for minimal interferance and also change mode to like, 802.11n or 802.11ac or whatever your modem supports. Also maybe your device is limited to e.g 802.11g support which supports less speed?
>>
>>53509129
I still dont think you understand what you are saying.You dont just "de-auth". If no one is on your network you wouldnt be losing your lease.

If no one is getting on your network,then they have some advanced tech that lets them sniff and block exact frequencies you are using.
I dont think the NSA is that interested in you.

That being said

Put a strong password on your router.
Use mac restictions
>>
Should I make my PC shut up and go ahead and upgrade to Windows 10 even though I am currently running a pirated version of Windows 7?
>>
I bumped into link to one blogfew times here and i cant find it now
it was about minimalism in life, where guy described how he changed his life, and that he was traveling in asia just with backpack. Anyone go link? Please
>>
Why does my disk say that it has 0 bytes free of 3.72 GB.. When I look on the disk inside of the directory, the total size of all the files is like 14gb.. How is that possible? The CD directory has an AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder.
>>
>>53509203
You can deauthorize devices without being connected to the network with something like aireplay-ng.
I don't believe it's the NSA but this isn't the greatest neighbourhood in the city and I'm not the only user on the network which is why I worry about their shit being captured. I guess you could just sniff packets on a certain channel then decrypt capture file using the pass cracked through the captured handshake?

Anyway, is there a way to spot the device that is doing this, IF someone was doing this?
Just capturing traffic and see later if it was directed to my router?
>>
>>53509234
>>53509234
>>53509234
Anyone?
>>
>>53508992
the stand it came with
>>
>>53509284
no
>>
what browser should I use and why, /g/?
>>
File: folder.jpg (38 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
38 KB, 600x600
I have a bunch of .mp3 files, and I want to batch convert them all into video files, with the same single image as the video.

I found these two scripts on the internet:
to merge image.jpg and audio.wav (but this one re-converts the audio)
ffmpeg -loop 1 -i image.jpg -i audio.wav -c:v libx264 -tune stillimage -c:a aac -strict experimental -b:a 192k -pix_fmt yuv420p -shortest out.mp4

and this script to use a .bat file so I can drag and drop a bunch of files on a .bat file to convert them with ffmpeg:
for %%a in ("*.*") do ffmpeg -y -loop 1 -y -i folder.jpg -acodec copy -vcodec libx264 -shortest %%a.mkv
pause

but how can I make a .bat file, to merge all audio files I drop on the .bat file into video files with the same names as the input files, without reconverting the audio files so it doesn't take so long?

please help
>>
>>53509298
You just fucking posted it 3 minutes ago.Fuck off pajeet
>>
>>53509230
No, just uninstall the windows update that contains the GWX shit that is bullying you into installing windows 10.

>>53509303
j-just no? pls
>>
>>53509024
the gpu and cpu
for common codecs like h264/vc1, modern graphics cards (including integrated and many SoC chips), the cards have decoders on-chip which take the load of decompressing video off of the cpu, in this case you don't need much of a cpu to play the video
if hardware accellerated decoding isn't an options (gpu doesn't support the video codec or spec in question), then it must be decoded in software on the cpu, the faster the cpu, the higher-end codecs/specs you can play back

the raspberry pi will play most h264 media well out of the box, as it includes an h264 hardware decoder, most other formats besides old/low resolution ones won't play well, as it has a slow cpu
>>
>>53509192
My pc is connected by ethernet in the gigbit port. So I should get the highest bandwidth. I already have it set to chanel 11 and is 802 11 b.n.g. my question is can a new router improve the stability of the Internet with constant WiFi connection's ?
>>
>>53509412
no.
>>
>>53509312
Firefox on pc's, Opera on mobile
>>
Just did a fresh install of Windows 7; which updates do I avoid if I want to stay as much out of the botnet as possible?
>>
Is there a good firefox or chrome extension for a free VPN or proxy? I really just want to be able to change the IP in my browser with a click of a button.
>>
>>53509691
voat (dot goes here) co/v/technology/comments/853510
>>
>>53509704
>free
>good
Pick one
>>
>>53508302
I keep getting emails from russian steam support detailing a password recovery conversation
>>
>>53509729
It doesn't have to be fast or anything. Basically I just want it to be if a site gives out a steam code for a game for me to be able to change my IP and get a second one without resetting my router.
>>
https://www.change.org/p/bill-gates-satya-nadella-bad-microsoft-stop-pushing-windows-10-on-consumers-uninvited/share?tk=psLSHmGFc_W4tGOCLYUejEvn6guYThd1IDypMWZ3Or0&utm_source=supporter_signature_milestone_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=supporter_signatures_75&utm_term=supporter_signature_milestone_email
>>
>>53509791
wat
>>
So, is my iPad 2 going to to run better or worse on 9.2.1?
>>
Okay here we go.
Is it possible to use a computer to connect to a two way radio and talk on their frequency?
>>
>>53509800
failmid.com/game/nyctophobia-100-discount/

Site gives out steam keys but its bound to 1 key per IP. I can change my IP by resetting my router but the process is too slow and sometimes it doesn't reacquire a new IP and I have to leave it unplugged for about 30 minutes.
>>
Can someone give me a working windows 2000 pro + sp4 key?
>>
What password manager should I use?
>>
File: bjarne2.jpg (25 KB, 293x324) Image search: [Google]
bjarne2.jpg
25 KB, 293x324
Do I need to look like absolute shit in order to be a good programmer?
>>
>>53509980
your brain
>>
>>53509877
protip: the windows 2000 trial disc has no time bomb, you can use it forever
>>
>>53509980
lastpass
>>
2nd yr CS, im not learning anything at school (easy grades but profs dont teach) and I cant get any internships/job offers. what do?
>>
Are there any programs that can improve the sound quality of my headphones? Improve may not be the correct word I'm looking for but on a recent episode of Linustechtips he said the major difference is the software used for headphones rather than the hardware itself, at least for usb devices. So are there any drivers/programs etc that can give me some settings to play with such as virtual surround for games?
>>
>>53510119
Drop out and build a portfolio
>>
>>53509856
i used tor just now, it werked
>>
File: a.png (9 KB, 440x420) Image search: [Google]
a.png
9 KB, 440x420
>>53509856
>>53510219
>"which platforms do you play games on"
>pick only linux
>"the game is for windows"
so?
>>
>>53510298
Is that what it told you?
>>
>>53510326
yea, wouldn't let me continue unless i picked windows as well
>>
File: 29-132-053-TS.jpg (12 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
29-132-053-TS.jpg
12 KB, 300x225
Not sure where else to post this, I was looking for some simple ways to improve my audio setup and was looking at sound cards. My mobo just has intel's integrated 5.1 channel surround sound.

Will something like the ASUS Xonar DSX 7.1 noticeably improve my audio output?

www newegg com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132053
>>
>>53510397
Just use a usb headphone with an onboard controller. Dedicated cards are really pointless,unless you're an elitest audiophile or a recording artist
>>
>>53510298
>>53510326
sure enough, the game works fine in wine
>>
File: 1458007404142.png (911 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1458007404142.png
911 KB, 1280x1024
what's the name of the music player in the bottom right corner?
>>
>>53510472
ncmpcpp
>>
How do I fix Windows 7 update not working while eating up all of my cpu and memory, without installing KB3102810?
>>
How do I bitcoin?
I was thinking about instead of just leaving my pc on at night, I could mine shit instead, but I'm pretty unfamiliar with the whole thing
I have an nvidia 960 gpu, so I think my pc could handle it, right? or no?
is it a shitty meme at this point?
>>
Is there a way I can copy a sequence like (scbc from word to excel in a way that the characters stay one in each column?
>>
>>53510756
I'm having this issue

I got wusauserv eating over 25% of my CPU, non-stop, hours on end. I end up killing the service.
I can't have this problem, it's tanked my battery life.
>>
So I have an External Harddrive that stopped working a while ago. With some fiddling I can still get my PC to recognize the thing and access it, browse trough all my files (although it is quite slow) and even copy files from the External to one of my mains. Now problem is: any file that is larger than say 5MB or so, the thing shits itself and "works" forever. If I try to copy something big, it never stops, if I try to start a larger program (like a game) from there it never really goes anywhere.

Is there a way to Salvage the Data on this thing?
>>
I was asked to help clean up and optimize a Windows computer for someone that doesn't know enough about computers in general. Is there any free antivirus/firewall program I should consider getting for them that doesn't slow down the computer?
>>
>>53510903
You dont.
The era of pc mining is long since gone
You need 100 APU's to just hope you get 1/100th of abitcoin a year
>>
So i definitely didn't seat my Intel heatsink properly, as I'm getting 70-80C temps on games.

Is there a way to try and remedy this, without removing my mobo? Would pushing on the pins harder while its in the case be okay?
>>
>>53509834
rip
>>
>>53511026
ah i kinda figured
is there anyway i can make some moolah in a way like that nowadays via any method?
ie
>set it up
>let it run
>get $$$
>>
>>53511039
pretty much all of the coins are being china-farmed at this point joe blow has no chance.
Youd spend more in power consumption then you would make at all
>>
Can someone recommend me some pc speakers for ~$50
>>
>>53511062
i'm at university so I already paid for electricity upfront for my dorm
otherwise i probably wouldn't consider it
>>
Why is this happening?

>>>/wsr/79816
>>
Is there a way I can copy a sequence like (scbc from word to excel in a way that the characters stay one in each column? Or maybe a way to insert spaces between them
>>
>>53511065
If you're on a budget I would highly recommend some decent Headphones over speakers. You get better sound quality for your money.
>>
what's the best ips monitor I can buy for under $280 usd?
>>
File: jade-raymond.jpg (174 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
jade-raymond.jpg
174 KB, 1280x720
>>53509996
absolutely fucking not.
>>
>>53511036

Just reapply paste?
>>
>>53509980
just make some txt file and keep it on cloud storage: mega, dropbox, onedrive, whatever.
>>
>>53511341
what material is best to wipe old thermal paste off
>>
>>53510982
ccleaner and malwarebytes anti malware. Tell him/her to run them twice a month.
>>
Any tips on going about Rooting my LG G3 LS990? really want to turn the damn screen down to 1080p .
>>
Is there any way to actually buff scratches out of a (plastic) screen? They aren't very deep, but I want to make my old gameboy color look new again.
>>
what's the ftp password this month for installgentoo?
>>
Is there a simple way to implement basic sound recognition? What I want to do is have some background process running so that when a particular beep, for which I have the WAV file and which is always the same, the system emulates a key-press or similar.
>>
1400 buckaroons for a precision 1550?

i7-6820HQ

Nvidia® Quadro® M1000M w/2GB GDDR5

8gig ddr4

1080p ips
>>
File: Rapunzel .gif (2 MB, 900x884) Image search: [Google]
Rapunzel .gif
2 MB, 900x884
Have a few questions. I currently have a 290x and I'm thinking about getting a second for xfire. Would a bronze 850w psu be able to handle two gpus? Would I see a drastic boost in performance? Would it be cost effective for me to grab another 290x instead of buying a single polaris when it arrives?
>>
Anyone know how to jump a Corsair RM750 psu?
I found a couple results on google but some claim its on the left side and others on the right.

The picture is what I'm pretty sure it is.
>>
>>53511773
there should only be one green wire, bridge it with any black wire
that's it

keep in mind green must stay connected to black for the psu to stay on, disconnecting them will turn the psu back off
>>
>>53511377
Cool. Thank you.
>>
File: tweak_dk_Corsair_RM750_37.jpg (63 KB, 520x310) Image search: [Google]
tweak_dk_Corsair_RM750_37.jpg
63 KB, 520x310
>>53511802
I know you need to jump the green/black to get it started the only problem is that all my wires are black so theres no telling which one is which.
>>
So I just finished putting a new computer together and everything seems to be working fine except it's turning itself on in the middle of the night

Any common assembly things that I screwed up, or is my shit just haunted
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 68

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.