[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ - stupid questions thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: 1440189084431.png (187 KB, 400x750) Image search: [Google]
1440189084431.png
187 KB, 400x750
Post your problems here, but only after you google them.
>>
>>53492014
>>
>>53491968

What headphones should I get for <100 € to listen to music (rock) to? I want clear sound, some bass presence would be good but I mean as in you can hear the bass guitar, not subwoofer bass beat booming.
>>
>>53492056
mdr v6
>>
What's a free videocapture software to use?
I tried and liked Bandicap, but it only let me do 10 minutes free. Tried some others in varying states of unsatisfactory, not working, and not working for the one thing I care about.

It's for recording game footage.
>>
File: 71EqDk4jfzL._SL1500_.jpg (85 KB, 1500x1049) Image search: [Google]
71EqDk4jfzL._SL1500_.jpg
85 KB, 1500x1049
my onboard audio got fucked up and doesn't work anymore and I'm thinking about getting a sound card to replace it. Would one of those $10 usb cards like pic related be of comparable quality to my onboard audio?
>>53492102
try OBS
>>
>>53492078

Thanks, I had MDR V7506es before and liked them although they lacked a bit in bass (even in the way I described). One thing I didn't like about them though was that thick coiled cord, anything with a thin cord for listening to on a computer?
>>
>>53492176
I haven't used one, but I hear it's pretty hard to fuck up soundcard solutions these days.
>>
How do I set up mutt so I can switch between two email accounts? Is there an easy way to do it by making just one or two lines of changes to the .muttrc? All the guides online are too complicated. Right now I have one .muttrc for each account and invoke mutt with -F to change accounts.
>>
>>53492231
check out >>>/g/hpg for detailed questions. be sure to read the OP.
>>
>>53492257
you can make a bash alias.
>>
>>53492257
why not just alias the different emails?
muttgmail = mutt -F /home/fag/.muttrc1
muttcock = mutt -F /home/fag/.muttrc2
>>
>>53492294
>>53492282

It's too unelegant, there must be a way to be able to change from within mutt.
>>
>>53492306
I think that'd be the easiest desu
>>
>>53492039
send pics of the trackpad
>>
>>53492306
man mutt | cat | grep -C 5 switch

honestly don't know if the cat is necessary
>>
What is the best way to do a clean re-install of windows? Make a bootable USB, load Into that then format drive and install?
>>
>>53492039
It would be expensive. you could probably quote a nearby repairer. I would try a tiling wm or something and learn how to tab.
>>
So I bought a laptop yesterday with an ips panel and it has two spots that it bleeds light from. It's only noticeable on a black background or dark scenes in movies. They're on the right side corners. I'm not sure if I should return/exchange. Apparently its normal for ips panels to bleed light. Theyre each about the size of half a nickel.
>>
>>53492372
sure.
>>
Can I run linux and windows at the same time?

I use linux as my daily driver but I'm also an electronic musician so I need windows for Ableton Live 9. Running it in a typical VM won't work.

Would it be possible for me to build a hulking brute of a computer and have it run a bare metal hypervisor like Xen, and then have it run my windows and linux VMs at pretty good specs?

I'm thinking like, 16-32 GB of ram, an i7 at the least, (maybe) a graphics card with passthrough
>>
>>53490189
They all look blurry to you? What the hell man

Thanks bro
>>
yeah probably. whatever is in the VM will always be inherently slower but if it's beefy enough it'll probably make no difference
>>
I'm trying to find a "device" that would fit in one of the drive bays that would allow me to connect various media options such as USB, SD, SATA, FireWire, etc directly to it.

I know they exist but for the life of me I can't figure out what they're actually called.
>>
>>53492475
it's very possible. You could even do it with two monitors. It's just a gigantic PITA.
linustechtips actually has a video on it. I don't wanna look it up, but it's called 2 gamers 1 cpu.
>>
>>53492241
yea, these days even the cheapest sound chips are good enough for pretty much any kind of regular playback purposes
>>
>>53492391
you could. It could fall under warranty if it's that bad. but you knew that. GTFO and check.
>>
Does anyone here uses or knows about Imagehost Grabber for firefox?
I'm looking for an alternative since it stopped working a couple of days ago.
Is there a way to download a whole gallery from an imagehost site?
>>
Deluge or Transmission for Linux?
>>
>>53492596
rtorrent
>>
>>53492596
depends how much you care
>>
>>53492623
I care for qbittorrent look but actually good.
>>
>>53492176
Seems to be working quite well, after some fiddling. Thank you very much, senpai.
>>
>>53492528
Found it, called (at least by one brand) a media dashboard.
>>
What motherboard do i get that will house my i5 4690 and r9 390? I dont need fancy options on it.
>>
>>53492589
are you running Linux? because you can make a simple bash script that uses wget
>>
>>53492642
then your answer is pretty clear just looking at screenshots.
>>
>>53492596
I use deluge because it's simple and just works. but transmission works fine too
>>
Does Win10 LTSB have DX12 support? Does it have any glaring incompatibilities that anyone's noticed?
>>
so i downloaded vlc but it doesnt show a thumbnail preview. Is there any way to fix this or should i just install a different program?
>>
>>53492852
yes, it's entirely incompatible with ones' freedom and privacy
>>
>>53492876

>LTSB

It doesn't have telemeshit.
>>
>>53492860
I think there was an option for thumbnails of bunch of different types of files in k-lite codec.
>>
>>53492700
win8.1

funny thing, worked like a charm till last week, dev was either too lazy or incompetent to have his extension signed for FF, and moved to PaleMoon.

There was a program that let's you do bulk downloads of pics but it's a paid one so fuck that.
>>
File: Pepe.png (529 KB, 1133x882) Image search: [Google]
Pepe.png
529 KB, 1133x882
https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/13642691/Slysoft_AnyDVD_7.6.9.0_Final___Patch_BRD___ElbyCDIO.dll

anyone use this with success? I don't feel like paying 140yurops for this shit when it should be free
>>
File: a.png (14 KB, 809x110) Image search: [Google]
a.png
14 KB, 809x110
>>53493260
>paying
>anydvd
anon...
>>
>>53493385

https://forum.redfox.bz/download/

you need a key though

which of course is impossible even if i wanted to buy one for the ridiculous price they ask for
>>
Is there any reading on C functions? Do I have to put my code into a function? What benefit do functions have? How can they be called?
>>
>>53493260
Why would you even want that? What are you trying to do?
>>
>>53493498
rip blurays?
>>
>>53493517
Just use vobcopy
>>
>>53491968
What do you use for writing or editing device drivers if/when you convert to linux and all yo shit starts breaking?
>>
Updated my 390 drivers to the latest, but now MSI afterburner isn't overclocking. GPU-Z shows that the GPU/Mem clocks are 1150/1600, up from default clocks 1040/1500, but no actual testing shows the clocks going higher than default. Is there a setting in Crimson I have to change? Or afterburner? I haven't tried since installing Crimson so think I just need to hit some setting
>>
File: 1444091335749.jpg (8 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
1444091335749.jpg
8 KB, 325x325
>>53493536
>last updated Monday, Jun 8, 2009

>can't get past FUCKING DVD copy protection, never mind Bluray copy protection

anon this is a stupid QUESTIONS thread, not a stupid ANSWERS thread
>>
What is the purpose of a DAC if its just reffered to as an external sound card? Like seriously, whats the point of paying all this money for something that your motherboard already does?
>>
>>53493517
try makemkv
>>
>>53493670
I have

doesn't work on some blurays due to the fucking copy protection
>>
>>53493575
C

but seriously, google
>>
Gonna start streaming with my friends
What is a good option for a mic and headphones, have like 500 usd for budget
>>
Is there any way to get this to go lower? Main use will be some vidya, programming, maybe some development, and general media use.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/npssyc
>>
What is the best modern laptop for the money? Looking for lightweight <15" laptops with a power efficient processor for under 650. Needs decent out of the box specs, including a good touchpad (unlike the Toshiba Satellite, eugh). I'm purchasing this as a gift for a tech illiterate turd friend who travels a lot on business. Good Linux hardware support is optional but a plus.
>>
>>53493613
It's worked for everything I've ever thrown at it.

Maybe your drive just sucks.
>>
File: 1456233811300.jpg (58 KB, 394x700) Image search: [Google]
1456233811300.jpg
58 KB, 394x700
any feedback? been trying to put together something cheap for gaming and want to run stuff at max reliably for current gen stuffI put http://pcpartpicker.com/user/rippletits/saved/gPztt6 together and want to know what to toss/add
>>
I am shamefully computer illiterate, so bear with me:
>Does jython "convert" (for lack of a better term) code from python to java, or from java to python? Or am I completely off base?
>what are some basic debugging tricks for python code?
>>
>>53494106
The only thing that I might toss is the optical drive, but you certainly don't have to. You'll probably also want some more storage, 120 gigs is going to fill up pretty fast. You could also probably go a little cheaper on the motherboard. Other than that, looks good
>>
So I had my laptop for 5 years now and the CPU temps reach up to 83 c° when watching a youtube or twitch. Is it time to replace the thermal paste?
>>
Samsung Evo 850 or 850 Pro?

I'm planning to buy it locally, and the difference for the same amount (256gb) is $40 (e.g. $96 vs $138( +$6 deliver)).

So is it worth an extra ~45% in price? afaik the difference is just the speed (540mb/s-ish vs 600mb/s-ish). Am I missing something?
>>
>>53493980
Personally, because you are using old equipment, I would go with an AMD build anyway, and nab a used 7970 off of ebay for ~120. Processor, mobo, gfx, memory combined would be around 400 only.
However, if you keep the Intel build, I'd go with the ASRock H97M for cheaper (ASRock isn't as bad as it seems), a Source 210 for 10 bucks cheaper, and go with a 80 plus Bronze PSU as the difference on most duty cycles is within 3-4%, and have no real bearing on reliability. Not a shabby build though.
>>53493965
SuperLux HD668B + SF666 or NM700 for about 65 bucks is pretty high-fi without needing too much modification and will save you a lot of money. Taking advantage of your whole budget I would pick the AKG550+AKG P220 due to massive soundstage and good quality sound.
>>
Help me /g/, I am trapped in a prison of my own doing. Windows keeps fucking up for me for no valid reason so I decided to install Linux, Ubuntu to be specific. AND IT'S SHIT. I download drivers, click to open them, and they open as a text file. Like yeah that's exactly the fucking reason why I downloaded these things, thank you operating system for being so user friendly. So now I'm trying to create a bootable USB from the .iso images I have stashed on my storage hard drive, but naturally when I go to search for the .iso, it's nowhere in site because apparently "Computer" doesn't mean my fucking hard drive and most definitely doesn't mean anything to do with where my storage hard drive is, it means some place with a fuck ton of folders that have 3 letter names and are full of shit I don't care about.

Like seriously this is the worst thing I've ever used. It's like the whole thing was designed by someone who doesn't use computers for leisure purposes. I don't even know what question to ask because I'm just fucking stuck not being able to find a god damn hard drive.

This piece of shit doesn't even know this monitor is 1920x1280. I press a button to search for displays and it just does nothing.
>>
File: 71tFWg4J0eL._SY128_.jpg (6 KB, 228x128) Image search: [Google]
71tFWg4J0eL._SY128_.jpg
6 KB, 228x128
Real tough fucking choice. I know it's a dumb idea, but I'm traveling for a couple of years to live in a small dorm and don't want to take my 8 year old PC with me or build a new one because I want it to be portable. Gaming laptops are heavy but still portable.

So I've chosen two laptops and would like your help in choosing which is better.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZV7G6LE/ref=psdc_565108_t1_B00ZUQZRQ6 (gigabyte)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015QZVAF2/ref=twister_B016ZYH1BU?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 (asus)

One is a Gigabyte laptop and the other an ASUS ROG laptop. Both have the same price point $1200-1250
Everything is the same except that the gigabyte laptop has a newer CPU and more VRAM for the gtx970m graphics card but has no Gsync and has less USB ports (2 3.0 vs 4 3.0 + Thunderbolt on ROG). The ROG also has superior and much quieter cooling.

A gtx970m with only 3GB would be enough for most newer games without AA on ultra or high. I think that a lesser graphics card would be just fine.

Only redeemable thing on the Gigabyte that the CPU is better than the ROG laptop, i7-4710HQ vs the i7-5700HQ in the gigabyte laptop and the graphics card has more memory, but less RAM (8gb vs 16gb), but that's upgradable.

Even though you can replace RAM, you can't replace/add faster USB ports and built-in Gsync. Essentially, the issue is:

i7-5700 HQ + 8gb ram + 6gb gtx970m + 2 USB 3.0 + No Gsync ---vs--- 17-4710HQ + 16gb ram + 3gb gtx970m + 4 USB 3.0 + USB 3.1 + Gsync.
They have the same number of hardr-drive bays (e.g. m2 supported), same screen quality (FHD/IPS), same HDD (7200 rpm 1BT), and both come with Winows (8.1 vs 10.)

In addition, the ROG has horrible gaming vents at the back that just SCREAM gaymer (pic related) which I'd rather it not. The ROG laptop is also some 2 pounds heavier.

Tough choice desu

Thoughts?
>>
>>53494234
if you were writing a java application and wanted to use some python code, you would normally have to use a system call to python.
it's ugly because it starts a new process you can't debug it if something goes wrong. also difficult to share memory.

so jython allows you to put python code directly into java source (with some special syntax to let the compiler know what you're doing).

i'm not sure what wizardry allows this to happen but that's the jist of it.
>>
File: cheapo.png (65 KB, 621x620) Image search: [Google]
cheapo.png
65 KB, 621x620
There's hundreds of these (xeon e5-2670) selling on ebay for around 70-80usd. Most of the 6th gen i5/i7s are around 300usd. Wouldn't this be a really good upgrade or are xeons missing tech on the chip that really makes it fast for games?
>>
This is more personal opinion but should I really do a fresh install of iwndows when upgrading my mobo and cpu? I really don't want to but most people advise it.
>>
>>53494474
GNU/Linux is not for everyhody.

Consider Botnet 10®

And then get the FUCK off my /g/
>>
>>53494705
Lots of those chips are decommissioned server hardware and have been running on loads for 24/7 so are likely more worn than your typical used processor. Most of them have many-cores but low clock speeds which isn't ideal for vidya. That pic you posted for example is a synthetic that makes use of many-core systems. Only thing they really don't have is unlocked core multipliers and onboard video. Don't buy engineering samples.

>>53494719
in theory windows shouldn't allow you to change m/b's. sometimes, bafflingly, it does work. if you run a legit copy it's going to fail activation by the way. For all intents and purposes it is highly reccomended (as in, you'd be a complete idiot NOT to without a very good reason) to fresh install on a new board.
>>
>>53494474
>It's like the whole thing was designed by someone who doesn't use computers for leisure purposes
well that's true. not very many people are paid to update linux so all the plug-n-play stuff you enjoy on other OS's doesn't exist.

once you get past the initial "omg it's not windows" phase you can start to see some benefits.
but for the most part it's too much work for the average user.
for example i think it's stupid I have to type in my password every time i want to install software, and there's no way to disable that. it's more "secure", but more annoying.

>>53494719
I see no reason why you should. your OS is stored on the hard drive and should be agnostic of the mobo and cpu.
>>
>>53494719
If you're using an OEM key it'll fail and you're not allowed to switch mb's. If you have a personal key you can call MS support and tell them you'll install it on another PC. They'll figure it out and make it work.
>>
>>53494719
meh. there probably won't be driver issues, but your install is probably full of bullshit.
>>
>>53491968
I want to learn programing because I want to make simple apps for my windows computer, either be windows 10 or windows 10 appstore

Where should I start?
What books should I read?
What lenguage should I learn first?

I can google these but I want the personal opinion of you guys

Thanks for your time
>>
>>53494761
Sorry for triggering you, Captain Autismo.
>>
Trying to build a lottery simulator in Java for class.

At the moment, whenever the user inputs their numbers, all but the last int of the array is 0.

for ( int i = 0; i < ticketSize; i++ ) {
userTicketSize = new int[ticketSize];
String userTicketSizeTemp = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Please choose your lottery numbers.\nNumber " + ( i + 1 ) + "/" + ticketSize, "Gambler's Choice - Lottery Ticket" , JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE);

userTicketSize[i] = Integer.parseInt(userTicketSizeTemp);
}

System.out.println(Arrays.toString(userTicketSize));
>>
I'm currently trying to create a compound document in XML that takes two xml files I've created (with two separate .xsd schema files) and combine them into a single compound document. I can't find ANYTHING on the Internet about creating a compound document in XML, so I'm coming to you guys in the hope that you'll know what I'm talking about.

I have to declare an xmlns for my XML files but I they reference .xml files on my computer. I know in the original .xml files I needed to reference http://w3.org/2001/XMLScema-instance, and I also have to reference it in the new compound document, but what am I supposed to do to declare a namespace within a compound document?
>>
File: rms.png (126 KB, 546x545) Image search: [Google]
rms.png
126 KB, 546x545
>>53494774
I got too excited. Still you can make a pretty fast server with one of those xeons; only probs is finding a cheap board around 150-200usd. Oh well I'll ride on this i5 2500k for another couple of years.
>>
Can dust and shit in a PSU cause my PC to get in a constant powercycle?
>>
>>53494872
Not entirely sure because I haven't touched Java in a while but from what I can see
 userTicketSize = new int[ticketSize]; 

So, in a breakdown, your code is:
> Dynamically allocating a new array for userTicketSize
> Getting an input from the user and setting the index of i at userTicketSize[i]
> Repeat
So what's happening is at the last iteration of the loop it asks for one ticket, and sets the value of the last index of an empty array to it.
>>
>>53494965
there are python tools to search XML trees
that's probably what you want
>>
>>53494455
Okay, I'll look into it, thanks.
>>
>>53495002
Anon comes in for the save, much appreciated.
>>
>>53495050
>anon
look harder senpai

anyways just move the initialization of userTicketSize to out of the loop and it should work fine
>>
File: Zax2c7UyN59zW.gif (1 MB, 636x375) Image search: [Google]
Zax2c7UyN59zW.gif
1 MB, 636x375
>>53491968
When should I upgrade from my 2TB HDD and my GTX 750 graphics card?
>>
>>53495074
when you feel you should
>>
>>53495074
If the hdd is full, get some more
If you're not happy with the performance you're getting from your card, upgrade it
>>
>>53495074
upgrade your HDD when you're out of space or it's failing

upgrade your GPU when you're pissed off about performance ingame or just want to blow money on a new GPU.

GPU is typically the most often upgraded component so yeah
>>
>>53494810
anybody help?
>>
>>53495147
http://c.learncodethehardway.org/book/
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
>>
>>53495147
>simple apps
>windows
you're doomed
>>
>>53495147
installed Windows 8.1 manufacture usb cause laptop froze way do I do after that
>>
I just moved from an iPhone 4s to a one plus 2 I can't get text messages from people using iPhone 6 I've turned off and DE registered I messaging
>>
>>53495173
do I check for updates
>>
>>53495181
apn-settings.com
some phones require a reboot for changes to take affect.
>>
>>53495158

I only have a windows computer with no plans of using linux again, but the python one seems good, thank you anon.

but, what program lenguage is used for programing windows apps? or all lenguages can be used?
>>
Is there any point reading the book from 1998 on C that I got from my dad if I want to learn C++ and C, or should I just get a book/online tutorials on C++?
>>
>>53495273
C hasn't exactly changed.
>>
File: 1448530383412.png (5 KB, 586x57) Image search: [Google]
1448530383412.png
5 KB, 586x57
Anyone know why 4chan tabs are doing this for like a week now? It's annoying as fuck.

I'm using ccd0's 4chanx
>>
I am looking for good browser proxy plugins, preferably that don't require registration or a credit card. Any advice? I mainly use Firefox and Chrome variants.
>>
File: 1440008393640.png (101 KB, 767x991) Image search: [Google]
1440008393640.png
101 KB, 767x991
>>53495273
People commonly recommend this, a 1988 edition of a 1978 book.
>>
>>53495273
it won't cover the c99 or c11 revisions due to its age, plus whatever software/compilers it references will be beyond obsolete
but nonetheless most of it will be relevent still
>>
UEFI is causing a conflict with my chipset AMD driver after a fresh 8.1 install.

Nowhere in the Windows boot option menu does it give me the option to switch to Legacy BIOS.
>>
>>53495353
>>53495408
>>53495409

I had thought so but my second question was is it possible to use C++ tutorials etc and then be able to make functional C programs? Apologies for the lack of clarity.

The idea that "c is a subset of c" is only a meme was thrown around in front of me and I am ignorant.
>>
Is the price difference between an Evo 850 or Evo 850 pro worth it? The performance gains seem minimal and ignorable with the newer memory controller on the pro. All I could deduce was that the pro would last longer but honestly I'm not sure if that matters ultimately since I'd probably upgrade in a couple of years anyway. Thoughts?
>>
TLDR at the bottom
So i recently discovered that at&t uverse is just inherently shit, and the company either doesnt care, or cant fix the issues yet still continues to sell shitty internet.
Almost every afternoon, my DL speed drops to 4 megabits per sec if im lucky, usually its barely 2. Im supposed to be getting 20. Throughout the day speeds randomly fluctuate, sometimes speedtest.net doesnt even show the dials moving until halfway through the test, and i generally have stupidly high ping. On good days, when im getting proper speeds, i generally have sub 10ms ping, but all the other times i have at least 50ms or so.
I searched a lot, and found that these issues have been going on for years, the earliest post i remember was from 2013 on the at&t forums. Ive seen reports of people testing everything they can, the modem, the cables, their speeds, etc. and it always comes out to something on the company's end.
I know all that basic stuff like range from router affects speed, shitty cards give shitty speeds, shitty routers give shitty speeds, etc. but if any of that was the case, it wouldnt happen at a certain time every day.
Im using an intel 7260 wireless card, and the router is 10 feet away at most on the floor below me.

My question is, if i were to buy a new router, modem, or both, would that help at all with at&t's shit speed? i was looking at the ASUS RT-AC68U router.
>>
>>53495502
it could. try ethernet first.
>>
I just got an email from my ISP about TV TOKYO Medianet complaining about me torrenting shows. Is there anyway I could still torrent and not get tracked?
>>
>>53495493
I just watched a video on youtube where some euro dude did a comparison of regular vs pro and basically made it seem like regular is better and not to waste money on the pro.
>>
Does anyone have a link to the PSP Theme Toolbox? I can't find a working download link.
>>
>>53495173
help
>>
File: 71by0ptiEfL._SL1500_.jpg (72 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
71by0ptiEfL._SL1500_.jpg
72 KB, 1500x1500
I just bought a Dell XPS 13 with the following specs for $1300 after tax. Did I dun good?

Intel Core i7-6560U 2.3 GHz
8 GB RAM
256 GB SSD Storage
13.3 Inch QHD (3200x1800 pixels) LED-lit Touchscreen
>>
>>53495265
Any language besides shitty /g/ hipster shit like haskell
>>
>>53495697
Can I program a simple windows app with ruby then? is it possible?
>>
what js frameworks arent a fucking waste of time?
angular?
>>
For whatever reason, youtube is now lagging when fullscreen
Started today. No google fix is helping. Using FireFox 45.
>>
>>53495722
Yeah
>>
>>53495656
having allot of trouble with my laptop
>>
>>53495749
update flash?
>>
>>53495750
thank you anon
>>
>>53495564
Me too, and I'm inclined to agree.

It's just that it's shilled so much on here and people are shat on when they mention they have an 850 instead of the pro version.
>>
>>53495749
uninstall flash
>>
>>53495749
firefox has gotten gradually worse over the last couple of years. get a new browser.
>>
>>53495236
I just did that could there be any other problems?
>>
>>53495773
It was updated.

>>53495782
Uninstalled it, didnt help

>>53495800
Chrome?
>>
File: wCmOcvR.jpg (922 KB, 1795x850) Image search: [Google]
wCmOcvR.jpg
922 KB, 1795x850
Can someone tell me whats going on?
>>
>>53495828
chrome is better
>>
>>53491968
How can I play x6800 music on Windows 7?
>>
>>53495887

All pictures arent showing, this is only happening on firefox for me, chrome is fine
>>
>>53495544
i would, but im not sure thats an option. just moved and im living with a friend for a bit, and hes really picky about holes in the walls/floors, scuff marks on the walls from hitting them when moving stuff, etc.
>>
Is it possible to get a /g/ job without a degree? And if so, which types of positions would we be looking at?
>>
>>53496038
and you can't just sit next to it for a few minutes to test?
>>
>>53496099
>>53496038
I mean because otherwise a better router would of course help.
>>
can I upgrade my laptop's processor?
I've found the next step up, but I don't know if it's actually do-able

PS: is it worth it?
Current processor -
i5-3210M (2.50GHz), 3 MB of L3 cache

target processor -
i7 3520M, 2.9GHz Turbo 3.6GHz 4 MB L3 Cache
>>
>>53496086
I have an English degree, which is basically the same as not having one. I started in AV at college and got a lot of training through it.
>>
File: airflow.png (9 KB, 386x364) Image search: [Google]
airflow.png
9 KB, 386x364
I'm using a mini ITX case (corsair 250d) and want to add fans to it. Presently I have the 200mm fan pictured, and the top 120mm fan pictured, as well as the fan on the video card.

I want to add another fan in the on the same side as the existing 120mm fan so my setup ends up being as pictured. since the second 120mm fan would be useless as an exhaust (not actually near any components) i want it to be an intake to supplement the 200mm fan. does the resulting airflow seem reasonable? i'm worried that there would just be some endless cycle of useless air between the two 120s, but don't know enough about airflow and thermodynamics to be certain.
>>
>>53496135
I see a lot of mixed opinions about whether or not a college degree is a necessity for entering the field of technology.

I've heard that experience trumps a degree. What are your thoughts on that?
>>
>>53495421
Disable SecureBoot. Some mobos won't display Legacy/CSM until you do this.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160306-212612.png (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160306-212612.png
1 MB, 1080x1920
My nexus 7 2013 on the newest cm 13 nightly can be themed, but the icons refuse to change, no matter the launcher. I have tried trebuchet and nova launcher and neither of them allow for the theme app to change the icons, how do I fix this short of resetting the tablet completely?
>>
>>53496287
>>53495421
Also, you're not supposed to be looking in the Windows Boot Options menu. You're supposed to be in the BIOS/UEFI setup.

Switching between Legacy/CSM and UEFI may make Windows not want to boot anymore (and can require a reinstall).
>>
>>53496129
>I've found the next step up, but I don't know if it's actually do-able

it's possible if they didn't solder the cpu to the board. the next issue is if the current heatsink/fan can move enough heat away for a more powerful cpu. comes down to your preference; is the upgrade noticeable enough for you to get it.
>>
>>53496129
potentially. it doesn't seem like there's versions of the processor that would be entirely soldered on, but just to double check, what model laptop is it?
>>
Alright, so I have a dilemma I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I just bought an Xbone and I'm trying to switch my Xbox live profile over to my one. The problem is, I've had this account since I was 12. My dad used his email to sign up for the account, and it needs the password to switch it over. He's asleep, so worst case scenario, I have to wait until tomorrow. However, I have access to the email account through his cell phone, but I can't see the password because it's stared out, and I can't copy and paste. I know this sounds like I stole a phone, and now I'm trying to steal a live account, but I doubt anyone would steal an old htc 4g. Any ideas? Like I said if I have to wait until tomorrow whatever, I just wanted to start downloading some games tonight.

Thanks in advance.
>>
File: dgfdfhdfgh (2).gif (1018 KB, 479x253) Image search: [Google]
dgfdfhdfgh (2).gif
1018 KB, 479x253
Got a high-velocity fan and the instructions explicitly tell me not to use it with an extension cord.

Can anyone explain to me why they say this? Are there any exceptions/alternatives like getting a heftier extension cord?
>>
>>53496270
I would say that experience counts for a lot more these days, although this wasn't always the case. When I was hired, my only distinguishing qualification was having a Bachelors' Degree. Everyone else was a freelancer of some kind.

Most of the people we have in the shop now had no formal training other than being "the AV geek" in school.

Most of us have backgrounds in theatre and film, but enjoy having a regular paycheck and not getting fucked by the union. The company pays for training to keep us up-to-date (we're on fiber-optic now, yeeeeeeeeeeeee).

Getting the experience can be a pain sometimes, but if you're willing to stick it out with a rentals, install or show company for a while, you can make the jump to academic/government work pretty quickly. Even my local school board has a couple of techs who look after the district.

If you're interested in the AV side of things, Infocomm has a lot of good online resources.
>>
my mac defaults to g++ when it compiles .c programs instead of gcc, will this ever be a problem if i'm writing solely in c and not c++?
>>
>>53496353
thinkpad T430. I don't believe it's soldered on
>>
>>53496489
You're all clear then. not only is it a socketed one, some models came with the cpu you're upgrading to, so you should be entirely fine.
>>
Youtube refreshes everytime I click a time link on the comment section or description. This didnt happen on firefox.
Any way to disable it?
>>
>>53496515
good, that answers the "can I" question

now, should I?

I don't know all that much about computer hardware. I know the basics, but I don't know if that processor is worth the ~$150 I'd be dropping on it
>>
Is there still no way to force non-store addons in Chrome?
>>
>>53496543
Eh. I wouldn't. you don't get any increase in cores or threads, merely a slight clock increase (and more pcie lanes, but that doesn't make a difference in this case).
It's better to save the money for down the road.

>>53496441
your fan (in order to run at a high velocity) pulls more amperage than your average household item. As such, plugging it into a weak extension cord (say, from a dollar store or something) can cause the extension cord to melt and/or start a fire. as such, the manufacturer put that warning on as a safe catch-all. if you use a heavyweight, shop or appliance-rated extension cord (look for anything bright orange) then it should be fine. just be sure to test-run it and check the temperature of the cord to be safe.
>>
>>53496616
second ssd for my primary drive it is
>>
I'm using ZenMate as a proxy extension in Firefox and since updating it's asking me to create a login. Any way I can get around this? It won't set up a secure connection without registering.
>>
What's a good site for downloading software? Looking for Ableton 9 Suite.
>>
>>53496755
https://kat.cr/ableton-live-suite-v9-5-win-x86-x64-d33p57a7u5-t11516822.html
>>
>>53496800

Thanks!
>>
>>53496616
Appreciate the info m8, I'll have to be sure to go buy a heavy-duty extension cord tomorrow.
>>
>>53496822
Np, if you're looking to get into music production, I suggest you also download Massive, Sylenth and a few of the Fabfilter VST's. You can also find a bunch of packs with audio files for kicks, snares etc. If you're new look up Sadowick on Youtube, he does Ableton tutorials and will teach you all you need to know about the basics in a few hours. Happy producing friend.
>>
>>53496863
I'm glad he chose/is stepping up to Ableton, but fuck,
>massive
>sylenth
do we really need another shitty dubstep producer?
>>
>>53496318
I got it, nevermind
>>
>>53496909
They're the easiest audio design VST's available, especially for someone who I'm assuming is new, seeing how he didn't know how to pirate a basic DAW. They have a million tutorials out there and are very straight forward. They're not the end goal, they're a place to start.
>>
Which case looks better in white, the Define R5 or H440? Mostly concerned about aesthetics since I've got an all white build and the last part I need is the case (though air-flow is a concern if I go with the H440).

I've considered adding a simple sticker or decal alongside the Define R5 to break up the white but it might look tacky.
Any suggestions?
>>
Is there anything like powertop on windows? Where I can look for power consumption and wattage?
>>
>>53492596
deluge if you don't want malware
>>
>>53496678
they recently required login, so create a throwaway email account for it
>>
File: buzz lightyear 2.jpg (306 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
buzz lightyear 2.jpg
306 KB, 1280x800
> Linuxfag here
> What's a game framework that can be used on a linux system?

I'm looking for a decent game framework as I want to try my hand at game developing. I don't want to do this from scratch if I don't have to. The big names like Unity only work on Windows even though they can export games to work on Linux. (Kind of Ironic, really).

Are there any decent game frameworks for linuxfags?

I know some Java and do not object to learning Python. I can pay up to $100 but don't want to go over as, really, I'm just dinking around at this point and don't expect to make money on anything I make.

Thanks friends!
>>
>>53496248
you're probably better off just changing the exhaust on the right to an intake and the intake on the left to an exhaust (intake in front/bottom, exhaust out back and top).
>>
>>53497155
It depends a lot on what kind of game you want to make.

Godot is good for 3D (and 2D)
UE4 has a beta Linux thing going on that supposedly isn't too hard to get in to

HaxeFlixel is good for 2D
Love2D is cool, and the libretro port (lutro) is especially good for making pixelshit without getting mixels (also free shaders)

Fuck, you could even run Unity in Wine if you really wanted to.

You could also try asking >>>/vg/agdg I'm sure they would have some opinions for you.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (120 KB, 1037x1079) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
120 KB, 1037x1079
How do you like my Oculus Rift build, friends?
>>
>>53497557
>windows 10
>inb4 botnet memes
>>
>>53497557
Change SSD, everything else its ok except windows 10.

Add poptarts if you are going to buy windows 10.
>>
>>53497557
>ATX
>Kingston SSD
>Windows 10
so how new are you
>>
File: Capture.jpg (118 KB, 1091x1079) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
118 KB, 1091x1079
I made some sort of error adding that SSD, thanks for noticing, friends. I believe this is acceptable, now?!
>>
>>53497719
If you will overclock get a NH-U12S or U14S.
If you wont, you are good to go.
>>
>>53497761
I never have needed to... Thanks for the input.

I'm also probably going overboard on the PSU, it's a bit much for the build itself, and a bit little to SLI two 980 Ti's later.... Don't you think?
>>
>>53494329
That would be a good place to start. Dust it out while you're at it.
>>
I'm trying to pirate my schoolbooks and I can't find them on the usual pirate sites
is there a book focused torrent site?
I already know about the gentoman torrent, but they aren't in it.
>>
>>53495562
VPN
>>
>>53497166
intake on left is the video card
>>
File: 24745.jpg (61 KB, 528x486) Image search: [Google]
24745.jpg
61 KB, 528x486
So I'll be attending pic related in two weeks. How do I not spill my spaghetti? I'm horribly afraid of people, but realize I'll need to get used to working with others career-wise. The thought of being around more competent, "hip" people fills me with anxiety. What if I start stuttering like crazy? What if I start sweating profusely? What if someone starts snickering at my odd behavior? As a neet, I'm mentally unprepared for this hurdle. Should I shave? I love my beard though. Basically, how do I "man up"?
>>
>>53498190
post your neckbeard
we shall pass judgment
>>
Is it possible in theory to build a working, useful computer without any memory?
>>
>>53498219
No

Like how are you supposed to operate on numbers if you're not allowed to know what they are
>>
>>53498219
No.
>>
>>53498190
>no memes
>no innernet talk that can be related to fore cham or other relatively anon boards
>.NO ME MEES
>shave if beard is thin stringy scruff aka anything but a thick full grown beard.
>NO MEMES, THEY ARE NOT YOUR COMEDY BIT THAT ONLY YOU KNOW ABOUT!
>>
>>53498219
>useful
nope
>>
>>53498217
I'm worried about posting pictures of myself online, especially here. What if I get sent pizzas, or swatted by some 4chan hacker?
>>
>>53498326
shave
>>
>>53498326
Then just shave it.
>>
>>53498305
How do I react if someone uses memes? Do I laugh? Feign ignorance and awkwardly laugh? The worst part is I have a Trump sticker stuck on my laptop. I may not leave there alive.
>>
>>53498350
Feign ignorance and awkwardly laugh

or ignore. let it fall flat
>>
Whats the best way to figure out what is causing the high pitch noise in my computer, I think it is the psu or the video card, it seems to only go off during intensive programs, it also changes pitch whenever I open any menus.
>>
>>53498219
Yes, people used to do it all the time, but there's no good reason to ever bother in 2016.
>>
File: Capture.png (48 KB, 1165x543) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
48 KB, 1165x543
A good friend of mine that helped me build my pc said if a harddrive does a small lag loadup then it means the hdd is probably dying.

I defragged the HDD days ago and had no problem until recently where it does another lag load up. I got it a year ago , WD 1TB. It only has around three games on it which I very rarely play.

Should I be considered even if defraggler is saying it is healthy?
>>
How many times should I install a program to be sure it's really really installed?
>>
anyone know good software to check HDD health? Drive has been making strange noises on reads lately.
>>
>>53498378
it looks healthy

>>53498494
once

>>53498530
smartctl
>>
My friend has an old Tandy 1100 with a bad hard drive, can he just stick any IDE hard drive in there and it will work?
>>
>>53498530
>>53498567

should I be concerned with these results? there are some pre-fails on there.
http://pastebin.com/Y2iCs8ur
>>
File: gannon & Aku.jpg (97 KB, 650x488) Image search: [Google]
gannon & Aku.jpg
97 KB, 650x488
>>53497482
I was leaning towards either a simple 2D adventure game or a day-based sim depending on what frameworks are available. I'm trying to stay away from 3D as it's just me. Past that I have a few different ideas in my head and am pretty flexible.

It's awesome that Unreal has gone free. I also think HaxeFlixel looks pretty nice. Thanks for the options. Will bug the VG people if I have more questions.
>>
File: 846545489.jpg (17 KB, 197x256) Image search: [Google]
846545489.jpg
17 KB, 197x256
>>53498378
should I be concerned*
>>53498567
its nice to have at least one reassuring comment thanks

I treat this PC as if I gave birth to it

I think other /g/men understand
>>
File: bliss.jpg (61 KB, 423x951) Image search: [Google]
bliss.jpg
61 KB, 423x951
What is some good software for setting up voice commands on my PC?

I wanna say shit like:

>Computer, open a new chrome window [activates chrome shortcut]
>Computer, pause the video [presses spacebar]

I've done this before, but I can't recall what software I used and you all likely know of some better programs anyways.

And I'm pretty sure this is still sci-fi, but it'd be dick-kicking if I could take it to the next level and say shit like:

>Computer, play some relaxing music. [randomly starts spotify or youtube or something with these terms]

Or even FURTHER and do shit like:

>Computer, what time is it in Italy?
>Computer, what time is my next appointment?

Like, I'm super into AI stuff, right? I'd love to toy with some things like that but I know that's pretty unrealistic.

But, I mean, I mostly want the basic shit anyways. Suggestions?
>>
is there a program that can view internet history that was viewed in googles incognito mode?
>>
File: 1454498328008[1].png (11 KB, 393x314) Image search: [Google]
1454498328008[1].png
11 KB, 393x314
What's the best no-frills video editing program to use if I just want to overlay text on a video file? Preferably with the option to choose the font of the text, at what timecode in the video to have it appear and also allowing it to fade in/out.
>>
File: Clipboard Image (3).png (4 KB, 331x41) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard Image (3).png
4 KB, 331x41
Is there anyway to upload a file on an HTML form from a batch? How are POST requests sent ?
>>
So what's the general consensus on surface book? I haven't been following it since release, figured I'd wait till hype dies out.
>>
If you had to take all of the software ever created, and decide what single piece of software was the best, what would you choose?
>>
File: whut.jpg (29 KB, 459x459) Image search: [Google]
whut.jpg
29 KB, 459x459
i have a dumb question

will anyone buy my two Shure UHF U4D's? thank you
>>
>>53498825
You can do that with ffmpeg actually; cli is pretty no-frills.

I might not be able to do a fade though.
>>
is it a bad idea to run chkdsk when nothing is visibly wrong?
>>
File: doog.jpg (75 KB, 625x469) Image search: [Google]
doog.jpg
75 KB, 625x469
>>53499095
Can't hurt.

>>53499035
8-ball says no.

>>53498817
Not unless you intercepted http requests during.

>>53498373
Maybe just be the monitor refreshing? Some Thinkpads make a noise when they're on battery and are displaying bright colours.

>>53497155
Unity does have a linux beta, in this thread http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-on-linux-release-notes-and-known-issues.350256/
There's also all those mobile lua engines. Love, Moai, Monkey, whatever. I like playing with Love, but it's just some system apis and doesn't really do much for you. I've seen Godot, and it looks neat, but I've never gotten into it, so I dunno.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/7nctcf
Is this thing alright? I'm Australian so none of the prices or availability stuff I learn about on the internet has any relation to me at all, and there's prebuilt stuff that looks cheaper and similarly specced, and laptops that somehow look as good. Is it capable, is the cost not-retarded? Here's a prebuilt one from MSY, for comparison.
http://www.msy.com.au/SYSTEMS/amd2.pdf

And their pricelist, which I'm pretty much restricted to.
http://cdn.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf
>>
>>53498979

DOOM
>>
How do you access/view bookmarks in the Firefox mobile app?
I bookmarked an important page but there is seemingly no way to view saved bookmarks, this is so fucking stupid
>>
>>53499598
Go to the new tab/home page thing and swipe right, or type the name into the address bar.
It is mad stupid.
>>
>>53499724
>swipe
>>
I remember there was tihs webpage that'd allow you to easily make a Vim package with plugins and color themes from a selection, but can't find it. Can anyone remember it?
>>
>>53499762
why dosent windows 10 show thumbnail for mkv files
>>
There is a pic out of there with browser tiers.

God tier, nice tier, shit tier.

Can I get it, please?
>>
>>53499724
isnt doing anything
>>
File: what ze fuck.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
what ze fuck.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
whats the phone notification here for? win 10, notification settings are off, and nothing in the notification menu.
Ive tried a few different variations of "win 10 phone icon" in google and havent gotten any help. most of it relates to turning notifications off, which doesnt help me
>>
>>53498833
IIRC wget supports POST.
>>
>>53499821
god tier
firefox, chrome

shit tier
everything else
>>
>>53499873
>god tier
>firefox, chrome
>>
>>53497782
pcpartpicker makes building a pc stupidly easy.
you could either look up the card's power consumption (225 watts) and then add that onto whatever your wattage is at the top of the screen.
Also, you could probably cut down on a decent bit of the stuff in that build, unless you dont mind spending 1.5k
>>
>>53499873
Chromium is top/high tier, Chrome is botnet aka shit
>>
Sometimes I download media that my player and renderer both report is at 30p, but ReClock detects to be 24p. Why is this? Which is right?
>>
>>53499304
>Maybe just be the monitor refreshing? Some Thinkpads make a noise when they're on battery and are displaying bright colours.
It's a desktop, my thinkpad is fine the thing been going strong for years, I am certain at this point that it's the psu as the noise is faint but constant even at idle after I took the gpu out. That and none of my mb's caps look bloated.
>>
What's stopping people from using their 3D printers to print gold or diamonds and get rich?
>>
>>53500408
what are you printing them diamonds with, huh?
>>
How do I set up SeaMonkey to not open a new tab when closing the only open tab?
>>
>>53500408
3d printers are just applying a material not creating it. creating artificial diamonds is possible but they are only good for industrial use. Gold in is impossible for humans to create with our current tech.
>>
Chrome loads YouTube videos really slowly like wtf
>>
Anyone in here able to help me out?
Currently using Win7 and I'm trying to dual-boot with Mint.
Only issue is that I don't have a usable disk or flash drive on hand, so I used this guide: http://askubuntu.com/questions/484434/install-ubuntu-without-cd-and-usb-how to install it without either of those things.
The issue I'm having is that after I load the bootloader and select to install Mint/MATE OEM, it gives me an error that reads "ISO Location not found"
How am I to fix this??
>>
>>53500478
I read people have managed to create tiny quantities of gold with a particle accelerator or some shit. It's not viable for anything measured much higher than the atomic level though.
>>
how do you get wine to work so that you can open wine programs in dmenu?

how do you get ncmpcpp to stop giving network errors? it says its not connected to a server.

how do you get xresources to change the color of NTFS folders from puke green to blue?

how do you get zathura to stop throwing "unable to open plugin" for pdfs? isn't it there by default?
>>
File: files.png (28 KB, 424x373) Image search: [Google]
files.png
28 KB, 424x373
how do i change the modified/accessed time display to yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss ?
>>
>>53500478
They're only only good for industrial use because the consumer diamond trade is a scam.
>>
Why do resumes/job listings write "Can use Microsoft Office"?

This is the equivalent of saying "I can use a pencil and paper"
>>
How can I stop farting so loudly in public?
>>
>>53500772
spread your bum cheeks
>>
>>53500772
Spread your cheeks and squeeze slowly
>>
I remember there being a website for hiring freelancer programmers. What was it?
>>
>>53500721
Because there were probably a lot of applicants that really didn't know Office, so they started to add it.
>>
>>53500312
most thing filmed at 24 fps
>>
>>53500612
easy to do for jpeg using cli like jpegtran and other basic utils
>>
>>53500937
Yeah I know this, but that shouldn't matter for a media file in my computer right? It is either encoded in one format or the other. I don't know why two programs are giving different readings. Most 24fps content does correctly display at 24fps without this problem, same with most 30fps content. Only a few seem to confuse it.
>>
>>53500796
mechanical turk
>>
I have a problem with Skype:
When I join in a group call I can't hear others, they can hear me. If I call just one person it works fine. I use the latest skype, Win 10 x64. And if I downgrade to older skype versions, it doesn't let me join calls and tells me to update.
>>
What's the best software for Linux for creating a bootable USB drive with any OS on it? Literally every single one I've found only wants to create Linux drives when I'm trying to get off this Linux shitstorm. I have the .iso I need, but no software wants to burn it.
>>
>>53501117
tried ddrescue?

instructions on how to use here: https://ubuntu-mate.org/wily/
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.