[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Google's never going to do anything about this, will they?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: >Android.png (63 KB, 779x444) Image search: [Google]
>Android.png
63 KB, 779x444
Google's never going to do anything about this, will they?
>>
What exactly are they supposed to do about it?
>>
File: images-20.jpg (21 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
images-20.jpg
21 KB, 470x313
Nope, android's architecture is a complete mess, Ubuntu Touch and Sailfish fixed it long ago in the same devices supported by android

It's absolutely pathetic how the whole OS is targeted for a single version and to a single device while Ubuntu and Sailfish share the same RootFS for all devices, they can update at will
>>
File: 1457319392672.jpg (180 KB, 650x560) Image search: [Google]
1457319392672.jpg
180 KB, 650x560
>>53421516
I've always wondered, what's there to stop people from manually flashing the newest stock android onto their old-ass device? Like, assuming the specs are high enough, could I theoretically flash N onto my Galaxy S 2?

>I know it won't work, just don't understand why
>>
>>53421552
The problem is phone manufacturers choose to use their own "flavour" of Android whilst injecting it with bloatware and annoying keyboard apps that datamine in the background. It delays updates because there's a middleman in the process.
>>
>>53421516
Why should they it will fix its self with older phones breaking and people upgrading
>>
>>53421543
Not be shitcunts.
>>
>>53421574
No the problem is that Android & Bionic is deprecated

Ubuntu's and Fedora's flavours are in the same situation and they don't have this problem android has
>>
nope because they cucked themselves out of blacklisting carriers from touching the OS outside of the bare minimum.

not to mention the fractured hardware availability
>>
There is no problem, my Nexus gets all the updates I want.
>>
Tell carriers to fuck off
>>
File: images-15.jpg (13 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
images-15.jpg
13 KB, 470x313
>>53422772
Carriers aren't the real issue, you don't see AT&T deferring Windows Phone or iOS updates, because they have a unified codebase
>>
>>53421569
Drivers.
>>
Why can't android give updates like Apple?
>>
>>53422960
Android has to target a much broader range of hardware. It's much more of a pain to update everything.
>>
>>53423021
Windows has to target a much broader range of hardware than Apple yet Windows actually gets security updates on a regular basis which is more than can be said for Android.
>>
>>53422960
>>53422772
>>53421574

What causes difficulties in manufacturers issuing software updates is that they have to have the phone certified for each carrier's network. This requires QA testing, internal testing by the carriers, and other testing and analysis of the software and the device. All phone manufacturers have to do this for each carrier, including Apple. The process takes quite a while (over a month) and is quite expensive; thus, most phone manufacturers aren't interested in sinking costs and time into old devices, and instead focus on the new ones.
>>
>>53423091
People have control over their Windows devices. Carriers lock down phones.
>>
>>53423156
Carriers aren't even involved in most cases when it comes to an Android phone getting an update or not. If a manufacturer decides they're going to update X phone to Y version they will fix whatever problem the carrier has with their first try if it needs to be, in most cases manufacturers don't care to even bother developing an update.
>>
>TFW my phone will forever be a real jelly bean.
>>
>>53421516
The problem is that each carrier/company for phones wanta their own version of android so they can add their own little stuff/bloat to it. They want their company logo as a boot up splash screen. This means there are that many versions of android 4.4.x for example. Now instead of getting updates as soon as they're available from Google, people are dependant on their carrier/ phone brand. You have to pay a premium to get devices with direct updates such as the Nexus line.

The Nexus line isn't even a floor model in 90% of carrier stores because of this. This is one of the major things holding Android back. Lack of unified patches/updates.
>>
>>53423103
>>53423302
At the end of the day this is still Google's fault. They prefer maximum marketshare by flooding the market with cheap, trash Android phones instead of restricting manufacturers more.
>>
>>53421569
CM13 exists for s2 (marshmallow)

Older phones are more limited by ram than anything else.
>>
>>53423334
It being Google's fault is no question. But I dont think it is how theyre not controlling the manufacturers but more about how they allow the companies to edit Android. For instance why does each company NEED their own version so they can change it? Isn't Android modeled after Linux? Even though Linux Ubuntu has MATE, KDE, Gnome, XFCE, Unity, etc, the core underneath it all is the same.

Couldnt Google just launch a "core" version of Android and allow the companies to ship their phones with their own "DEs"? This would make updating and security patching so much easier
>>
>>53423409
>Older phones are more limited by ram than anything else.
Basically this, there's CM13 for the 2011 Xperia's, the only thing that limits them is the meager 512 MB of RAM
>>53423446
>Couldnt Google just launch a "core" version of Android and allow the companies to ship their phones with their own "DEs"? This would make updating and security patching so much easier
The problem is the closed source drivers, companies sometimes even have to sign NDA's to get them to their devices, and the company that maintains the drivers usually doesn't maintain them after launch, sometimes they drop support before launch
>>
>>53424080
>>>53421516
>>>53421574
>>>53421606
>>>53421609
>>>53422772
>>>53422820
>>>53422960
>>>53423091
>>>53423103
>>>53423334
>>>53423446
>See >>53423475 (You)
>Also read all the replies or you could just do a simply Google search.
>Tl;Dr don't blame Google for something you don't understand, bitch.
>>
>>53423334
>At the end of the day this is still Google's fault. They prefer maximum marketshare by flooding the market with cheap, trash Android phones instead of restricting manufacturers more.
Actually Google has been strongforcing manufacturers/carriers into adopting their ecosystem, they started with pretty light things, and nowadays they're outright banning hiding bloatware, and other things
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.