[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>20XX >Huge Android exploit is found and is being exploited
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: 000000037981.jpg (8 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
000000037981.jpg
8 KB, 500x350
>20XX
>Huge Android exploit is found and is being exploited by criminals
>Google will be able patch at best Nexus phones in a timely manner (Literally less than 1% of android phones)
>Other high end recent android phones will get patched in at best 3 months after Nexuses
>95% Of Android phones, over a billion devices never get patched because manufacturers don't care
How big a shitstorm would this be is? Is this situation inevitable?
>>
File: tumblr_n1dhbdSVy01qdeyheo3_500.gif (936 KB, 500x160) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1dhbdSVy01qdeyheo3_500.gif
936 KB, 500x160
>>
meming this hard should be a felony
>>
>>53422346
>Actual problems with android upgrade paths
>Meme
Its a fact that the vast majority of android phones never receive an OS upgrade beyond what they're shipped.
>>
I dont know how it hasn't happened so yet tbhfam
>>
>>53422277
>if

yeah sorry bud, but they're way further than you think. Nobody major has weaponized it yet for anything, but it's there.
>>
>>53422440
Maybe in 2010
In CURRENT YEAR manufacturers and carriers actually push updates as evidenced by lolipop having the biggest market share
>>
File: nokia-n9-white-600x398.jpg (42 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
nokia-n9-white-600x398.jpg
42 KB, 600x398
Not an issue here, using Debian Testing patches on my Nokia N9 :^}
>>
This used to be a problem.

Marshmellow and above have a security patch built into all iterations of android that allow security updates independant of OS updates.

so most phones at the moment are fucked, but in 5 years when they've been replaced this will be a solved issue.
>>
>>53422727
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>53422698
>N preview is out
>Most don't have M yet
>>
File: sarah.jpg (38 KB, 600x653) Image search: [Google]
sarah.jpg
38 KB, 600x653
>>53422440
Pretty much this, to expand I've just posted this >>53421552
on another thread
>>
>>53422698
http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html
>Marshmallow (5 Months old) has 2.3% market share
>Lollipop (16 Months old) has 36.1% market share
>Kitkat (2 Years old) and older still has the majority (61.6) market share
That's pretty terrible no matter how you frame it m8.
>>
>>53422277
95% of android phones run 4.2 or lower, an exploit already exists to gain remote access to these devices.
>>
>>53422924
link
>>
>>53422750
>>53422890
>>53422440
>>53422750
>android is bad because people choose shitty 3rd party manufacturers who don't update their phones
>not know U.S. carriers hold back updates
>not knowing carriers have the same power across the world
>not knowing people will buy a new phone just for a new OS version
>not knowing common company practices to sell more products
Are you people really this stupid?
>>
File: 1456011090571.jpg (33 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1456011090571.jpg
33 KB, 625x626
>>
>>53423081
It's not a matter of being too stupid to know things, it's the fact for various reasons Android can't get upgraded as often as needs to fix potential security risks for most users.
>>
>>53423155
>It's not a matter of being too stupid to know things, it's the fact for various reasons Android can't get upgraded as often as needs to fix potential security risks for most users.
>Android can't get upgraded as often as needs to fix potential security risks for most users.
>fix potential security risks for most users.
>Android can't get upgraded as often
That may be a fact but the problem is not with Android so stop saying it. Android gets updated. 3rd party manufacturers use a modified version of Android. Ex. Touchwiz, HTC sense, LG whatever. That's like saying linux doesn't get updated enough to fix the problems on gentoo or Debian.
If people wanted updates they would get a nexus and not rely on Samsung and Verizon to update their shit.
>>
>>53423289
It is a problem with Android when the vast majority of Android devices don't get the updates they need. At the end of the day Google is to blame for letting 3rd parties have so much power over updates.

This stuff of devices not receiving any updates at all after release would not be acceptable on any other platform. No one would buy Dell computers for instance if they were going to get at best 1 Windows security update 6 months late and then nothing.
>>
>>53422277
Considering most Android phones are vulnerable at this very moment and the world is not falling apart we can only conclude that people's phones are worthless.
>>
Google is moving away from this by separating stock Android from the vendor BS. Eventually I expect that AOSP will updatable completely separate from vendor BS.
>>
>>53422741
This is your answer OP now Fuck off
>>
>>53423338
Android would be Windows in this analogy.
Dell would be Samsung or LG or another manufacturer.

A lot of prebuilts don't support upgrading to the newest version of Windows. I agree that this isn't a good thing and it should be better.
>>
>>53423338
>It is a problem with Android when the vast majority of Android devices don't get the updates they need. At the end of the day Google is to blame for letting 3rd parties have so much power over updates.

Can't tell if troll or retarded. You do know android is open sourced right? Google only has control when it's in development. After that they release it. Remember when Apple tried to make jailbreaking illegal? Remember Google tried to do that? O wait Android is open sourced unlike iOS.

>This stuff of devices not receiving any updates at all after release would not be acceptable on any other platform. No one would buy Dell computers for instance if they were going to get at best 1 Windows security update 6 months late and then nothing.
>Comparing first party closed sourced software to third party open sourced software

Dell makes the hardware not the software, stupid. They only have control over the shit they put on the laptop AFTER Microsoft sells them the OS. Not before and the updates to the OS is handled directly by Microsoft not Dell. Dell can't modify the OS like Samsung with android because that would be illegal.
>>
>>53423475
Open source was a mistake.
>>
>>53423475
Considering all OEMs do to Android is slap a shitty skin over over it and add some bloat in the form of useless apps. It is comparable to Windows where they do the same thing minus the shitty skins that shouldn't be there in the first place.
>>
>>53423525
>Open source was a mistake.
No. Just because something doesn't work the way you want it to doesn't mean it is bad. Grow up. I've said many times if updates are a problem buy a Nexus. Stop blaming Android as a whole.

Have you ever wondered why Android is ahead of iOS and other phone OSes? It's because it is open sourced. This allows any and everyone to do just about whatever they want, then it also allows other people to tweak those ideas. Day/night paid/free Android is consistently evolving because of this. Open sourced is a wonderful thing for everyone because we all win. Imagine if every technology was like this. People would take the good ideas and turn them into great ones faster than any company could because anyone could work on it without restrictions.

Serious question did you buy a Samsung phone or something? You just seem really mad about this.
>>
>>53423464
Fucking name one prebuilt built in the last decade that can't run Windows 10 I dare you.
>>
>>53422277
>nexus 6p
kek stop shilling your shitty phone im not buying your shit
>>
android is linux based so it doesnt have the same problems with malware and viruses that windows does

lacking these inherent issues there is no reason to have an update environment like windows that alway pushes a million security updates each year
>>
>>53423619
>Considering all OEMs do to Android is slap a shitty skin over over it and add some bloat in the form of useless apps. It is comparable to Windows where they do the same thing minus the shitty skins that shouldn't be there in the first place.

It is but not in the way the guy was said it.
>people wouldn't buy a dell if they were only guaranteed 1 windows update.
That is wrong because Microsoft controls the updates not dell. However Samsung and Verizon for example do control rather or not phones get the new version of Android.
Dell, Samsung, and Verizon all do add shitty bloatware to the OS but dell cannot prevent windows updates like Samsung.
>>
>>53423661
>Have you ever wondered why Android is ahead of iOS and other phone OSes? It's because it is open sourced
No, it's because you street shitters can buy Android phones for cheap. Poor people don't give a shit if their phone OS is open source or not.
>>
>>53423661
Ahead of other phone OSes in terms of features*
I assumed people would understand that by context, clearly not.

>>53423743
I meant in terms of features. If you reread it is not hard to see I was talking about features.
>Android is constantly evolving
>mentions what would happened if other technology were open sourced
>>
>>53423676
http://www.cio.com/article/2972791/consumer-electronics/why-you-should-be-very-wary-of-windows-10-if-you-own-an-older-pc.html
http://www.windowscentral.com/some-pc-oems-support-reps-are-telling-customers-not-upgrade-windows-10

I'll admit you can probably get it to run on almost anything. But in the same vein, you can get CM 13 running on a Nexus 4. That's not the issue here though. The upgrade isn't officially supported.
>>
>>53423813
>I love my Windows 7 laptop, but I've had it for more than 3 years and the inevitable is happening: The OS is getting cranky, the result of adding and deleting dozens of programs — and, of course, I'm waging the occasional war with malware. The hardware is in good shape, though. Microsoft's free Windows 10 upgrade offer seemed like might solve my problems, so I don't have to buy an expensive new system or reinstall Windows 7, a painful and time-consuming task.

Why would you quote opinions from a total tech retard as if they have weight here on /g/?

W10 will run fine, performance wise on pretty much anything that can run Vista just fine. I'll give you that if W10 lacks drivers for your obscure hardware you may have a problem.
>>
>>53423464
Windows Vista and newer still receives security updates though.
>>
>>53422727
>using a dead platform
>>
>>53422277
its a non issue. only idiots pay their bills online

this is just over hyped bullshit to try to keep apple from sinking as their smart phone sales fell
>>
>>53421516
>>53421574
>>53421606
>>53421609
>>53422772
>>53422820
>>53422960
>>53423091
>>53423103
>>53423334
>>53423446
See >>53423475
Also read all the replies or you could just do a simply Google search.
Tl;Dr don't blame Google for something you don't understand
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.