[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/SQT/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56
File: cirno.jpg (79 KB, 756x1000) Image search: [Google]
cirno.jpg
79 KB, 756x1000
old thread: >>51540760

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE.
DO NOT BUMP THE THREAD, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Read the sticky before posting.
Take at least 10 seconds to google it first.

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
>>
artificial forensic programming: how do i increase an integer that has been linked to a string variable in lisp?
>>
Hey guys, I've got a new motherboard and processor in the mail. I tried to upgrade my PC with a new GPU, but everything else was so old that it wouldn't work. I've heard that after I hook up my new parts, my OS might not work. Is this true? How can I prevent this? I have Windows 7.
>>
>>51574029
So, my mouse broke, and I'm think of getting either a SteelSeries Rival or a Razer Deathadder. What are the pros and cons of each?
I really like palm grip and preferentially large mouses. No, I don't actually care about gaymen since the only games I play nowadays are on the controller.
>>
I have a 1tb hdd and just bought a 256gb ssd. My plan is to move my windows and arch installations over to the ssd and have the 1tb drive sat in the computer with files for both OSs to access. I also plan to back up the ssd installations and hdd files onto a single 3tb external drive.

Is this a good idea? Anything I should know before starting? I'm very paranoid about moving installations (esp windows), and having windows and Linux booting from the same drive
>>
File: 1443211699002.jpg (476 KB, 1289x1266) Image search: [Google]
1443211699002.jpg
476 KB, 1289x1266
Trying to find datasets about home automation for a report I have to make. Tried regular Google Search, Google Scholar, and Google Public Data Explorer, but no succes. Any help /g/s?
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (79 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
79 KB, 1280x720
Buying one of these USB expansion things and they all boast about transfer speeds, full/half duplex etc.

I just need to plug headphones & a gamepad in, those specs won't really make any difference to me right?
>>
>>51574071
Windows likes to throw fits if you change to much of your hardware around.
Also if you didnt have to enter a product key,it might be on an eeprom chip and you're fucked cause you changed the mobo
>>
Can I upgrade the video of my notebook?
>>
>>51574303
no
>>
I'm not good at anything and I'm too lazy and stupid to improve.

How do I fix myself and finally get a good IT job? Are certs a waste of time?
>>
Looking at getting a laptop, stuck between these two:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314425&ignorebbr=1

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834299640&ignorebbr=1

I'm leaning towards the acer one but I'm not too sure how reputable either brand is for laptop performance/lifespan
>>
I need a laptop for video editing in Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects - and some slight gaming (CS:GO and some others) and for just browsing the internet. I've only got about ~£400 to spend on this, so I understand if it's still pretty shitty. Any suggestions?
>>
>>51574348
Build an fm2+ desktop. The things you mentioned need a fast processor. I'd recommend you base your build around the A8-7600.
>>
>>51574322
What kind of IT job are you looking for? Only specific certs are worth it and certs won't guarantee a job nor will make you an expert in wherever field you got certified in
>>
>>51574445

Already got a pretty powerful desktop, but I'm going travelling a lot soon and I can't be taking my PC around with me.
>>
>>51574300
How can I get around this? Can I make OS recovery disks? How can I check about the eeprom chip?
>>
Is the wiki down? Keep getting redirect issues on Chromium and IE doesn't display the page.
>>
File: 1374782163623.jpg (111 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1374782163623.jpg
111 KB, 500x500
What would happen to /g/ if a new board is made for tech consumerism and ricing?
>>
>>51574577
/g/ would get like a thread per week.
>>
How can Windows 65-bit versions be 64bit when it relies on 32bit ancient libraries to work..?
>>
>>51574577
... and tech support.
>>
>>51574577
it would be extremely painful
>>
>>51574589
all the libraries are 64bit.
>>
>>51574604
Since when? Since 10? Doesn't 10 still have DOS code in it.
>>
>>51574071
Windows 7 might not like your new motherboard SATA/AHCI chipset, Win7 can be a bitch with that. That said, you can try booting in safe mode when you get your new hardware installed, or try recovery mode.
>>
>>51574619
since windows xp 64bit edition.
DOS got ditched with windows NT.
>>
>>51574692
>WinXP 64bit.
I have so bad memories from that

>ditched with Windows NT
But Windows 10 belongs to Windows NT family according to Wikipedia.

My point is to guestimate how ancient software is the base of WIndows 10.
>>
>>51574487
Get an APU laptop then. Won't be half as fast as your desktop but at least it won't have intel hd graphic performance.
>>
File: 1448251741715.jpg (1 MB, 2100x3150) Image search: [Google]
1448251741715.jpg
1 MB, 2100x3150
>>51573807

pls
>>
>>51574716
yes, but NT only supported DOS through virtualization.

you can still run 32bit applications on a 64bit windows today because it ships with 32bit libraries aswell, see WoW64
>>
>>51574743
NT itself is from the 1989.

So Windows 10 is based on 26 year old code.

Yikes.
>>
>>51574798
Unix started in 1969 :^)
>>
>>51574029
how do i wipe all trace of information on a hard drive software wise so i can perform a clean reinstall without worry that the residual information can still be read?

my diary has some pretty personal stuff id like to wipe all traces off
>>
>>51574829
dban
>>
>>51574821
Why don't they just pick what is good and remove the rest and rebrand/name it? Both MS and Unix community?
>>
>>51574841
merci anon
>>
>>51574077
The Deathadder Chrome is infinitely superior to the Rival.
>inb4 steelshills will deny this
>>
>>51574841
uh. any free version of dban that can be loaded onto a USB?
it says it only lets you install onto CD
>>
>>51574925
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

if you're on windows.
>>
>>51574938
ah thanks
>>
I have a wordpress site up on a local server for development. Everything works fine on windows but on my Linux laptop (Debian) and on my phone (Android) the sites styles are missing?

I have tried to do some digging but all the answers I came up with are 8-10 years old and no long applicable
>>
>>51575030
They are missing when hosting on linux, or when you look at it from a different computer when it's hosted on windows?
>>
>>51575030
check the script for handles on different browsers. i.e. mobile requests, non-html5 compatible devices.
there should be a default style it reverts to, if not then the browser itself will revert to one
>>
>>51575030
Fonts?
>>
>>51575064
he means when he looks at them from a linux distro or android browser (im assuming chrome?)

phone browsers automatically send a handle for the site to load mobile view.
>>
what changes should I make in about:config on palemoon?
>>
Does Apple collect user data on iPhone like Google does in Android?
>>
I made a search app in android studio using json and api to make it connect to an online database and I was wondering what would be a creative extra feature to add to a search app that is pretty simple?
>>
>>51575064
Sorry for leaving that out, it being hosted on another linux machine (debian server).

Styles work fine on windows but on my debian laptop and android phone they are missing.

>>51575068
I'm new to web hosting/wordpress in general, where would this script be located?
>>
>>51575108
Fuck off furry.
>>
I bought a microfiber cloth to clean my computer, but do I need any kind of product to put on ?

Because when it's dry it doesn't clean shit on my screen.
>>
>>51575068
>>51575105
is this a wordpress thing? never heard about mobile browsers sending "handles".
>>
>>51575125
do you reference any stylesheets and put your absolute path into some config, like C:\Users\...etc?
>>
>>51575125
not a clue. i just know enough to know whats happening when it happens from a user perspective.

>>51575146
depends what you stain it with. water is adequate for most things, maybe detergent for oils.

if you want a good clean wipe though, nothing beats 100% isopropyl alcohol, just gotta do it fast before it dries though.

>>51575159
look at any wikipedia page, once on your phone, once on your desktop. tell me the underlying script looks the same.

most pages just end up hosting a seperate domain for mobile access
>>
>>51574029
How would you utilize polish notation in order to solve math problems in a program? I imagine that the first step is to create an arraylist for the factors and another for the operators. How can you get the compiler to interpret the expression correctly?
>>
>>51575146
For a lcd screen you may want to look into a professional cleaning solution. If you don't have any try:

- dampening the cloth with isopropyl alcohol
- turn the monitor off and let it cool down
- Wipe the screen with the damp cloth (very slowly)
- Dry monitor with clean rag
- Wait for it to dry completely and then turn it back on

If that doesn't work then I suggest looking into a LCD cleaning solution but be careful
>>
Is anyone else getting a fake "Update Flash" page on loading the 4chan home page, or is it just me?
>>
>>51575196
name one thing that does not come off with isopropyl alcohol

professional cleaning solution my ass

>>51575203
who goes to the homepage anymore?
>>
File: just css things.png (198 KB, 1279x799) Image search: [Google]
just css things.png
198 KB, 1279x799
How do I make feh auto-downscale my images to fit to the tile/window?
Picture unrelated
>>
>>51575194
You would use abstract trees

Check this out

http://www.buildyourownlisp.com/chapter6_parsing

/g/ doesn't really like this guide but it's a good explanation on how this works
>>
>>51575117
bump. Literally just need a simple idea for an extra feature to an app. But unsure what would not be suitable.
>>
>>51575175
No i'm not, its a default wordpress install
>>
>>51575223
Thanks. I recently learned about this in my discrete mathematics course and I'm eager to use it
>>
>>51575245
can you post a link

what status code does the server reply for the stylesheets?
>>
>>51575239
What is the nature of the data?
>>
>>51575258
Sorry english is not my native. What exactly is meant by this?
>>
>>51575146
First, try distilled water.

Next, some alcohol and ammonia free LCD cleaner from Walmart.

If that doesn't work, rubbing alcohol, but be careful.

Also, stop fucking jizzing on your screen, use a rag you faggot.
>>
>>51575301
What kind of data are you getting from the database?
>>
>>51575255
I cant post a link atm but from my debian machine if i navigate to the style.css it shows up. Could it be my browser? Going to test this on my windows phone real quick
>>
File: lightning.png (28 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
lightning.png
28 KB, 300x300
How do you download YouTube videos using Lightning Browser for Android?
>>
Can you make a PC build that doesn't have any GPU? Not even an IGP.
>>
Is the antenna really importan on a wifi receptor? USB dongles are cheaper but I'm not sure if they will work as good.

I'm looking at this

http://www.ebay.es/itm/300Mbps-WiFi-USB-WiFi-Wireless-Adapter-Adaptador-Inalambrico-External-Antenna-BL-/301497147187?hash=item4632a15f33:g:4eIAAOSwWKtUvyZs

I want to use on the living room on an old computer.
>>
>>51575030
Update on this, my client had to cancel today so I'm not stressed out on finishing it.

I don't know what it is, I can navigate to the stylesheet but it doesn't load. It might have to do with the fact that it's a local server but i'm at a loss
>>
>>51575308
Movie results. Using omdb api. Also using sql db which not working
>>
am i the only one who likes to give bad advice in these threads?
>>
>>51575630
No, Kill yourself you fucking manchild
>>
What is the best/a decent screen capture program? If possible; something that only captures a set area
>>
Which processor is better, quad-core AMD A8 or dual-core Intel Core i5-5200U?
>>
>>51575698
for windows?

OBS.
>>
>>51575714
Thank you for the fast answer
>>
Does anyone know if there's a compatibility issue between LGA1156 H55 chipset and the Xeon 3470?

The gigabyte website only lists the 3450 and 3480, assuming it's just a forgotten entry. (http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support.aspx)
>>
why does my shit go like this when upgrading and occasionally using vim
>>
>>51575854
The Matrix has you Negro
>>
>>51575854
Looks very cool like futuristic art.
>>
How do I make a C++ program maximise the console on startup?
>>
>>51575587
bump
>>
>>51575117
Bumping.
>>
File: LFSR maybe.png (31 KB, 1297x715) Image search: [Google]
LFSR maybe.png
31 KB, 1297x715
I have to make a random number generation circuit (currently attempting an implementation of a 4-bit LFSR) that will produce random number below a certain number, but those numbers need to correspond to an amount of time that will dictate when a decade counter setup starts and a light comes on. I really don't know where to start and I'm worried this isn't a proper implementation of the LFSR.

This is for a final project and my professor didn't prepare us at all
>>
Anyone know why this isn't displaying search results for every term?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33974384/why-is-my-code-not-displaying-the-search-results-for-every-keyword-searched
>>
using killawatt meter says i use 38khw wdf I am only running a led lamp and 2 monitors,and a desktop on this power brick. I a 6850 really that power hungry?I cannot possibly be my 2500k
>>
>>51576486
>38khw
kilowatt-hours (kwh) is a measure of energy, not power.
>>
>>51576536
I think he meant kWh/h
>>
>>51576177
Looks like one of your inputs is off. Take a look at google schematics for 4 bit lfsr. Any reason you are using the shift register instead of just using flip flops with a clock signal? If you just use flip flops you can easily just copy a schematic from Google. It's a very well known circuit.
>>
How do I pass a two-dimensional array into a function? C++
>>
>>51576610
>38000 watt computer
No, I doubt that's what he meant
>>
>>51576619
One of the particulars of the project was chip count, though we weren't given a hard and fast maximum. If the flip-flop level implementation would be better I'll just do that.

Now that I think of it, flip-flop chips are usually in packages of four, right? So that would be the ideal. I can also manipulate the latch behavior to how I'd like it that way as well.

I suppose my main question at this point is how does one take a 'random' 4-bit number and turn it into an amount of time for a circuit to wait before passing on signals?
>>
>>51576642
>not having a 500 ~800W cluster
Alright pleb.

No, but seriously, I was just shitting around, I've never really been great with electrical units.

Fuckin' flux.
>>
>>51576659
I would use it to seed a counter. I have to do other things at the moment. Good luck though!
>>
>>51575358
most if not all pc's won't boot unless a video device is present

i'm not sure if this applies to UEFI machines (i have practically no experience with them), and i'm not sure if it can be worked around with an alternate firmware (like coreboot), i imagine so though
>>
Are there any browsers with a similar feature to Firefox synch? Mostly looking for new browser so not Chrome, Opera, etc
>>
None of the trim levels for the XPS 15 make any damn sense. It's like they're going out of their way to force the users to compromise.
>>
File: a.png (23 KB, 666x530) Image search: [Google]
a.png
23 KB, 666x530
>>51576946
seamonkey

it's a continuation of the mozilla internet suite (before mozilla split it into firefox and thunderbird), nowadays it uses the same engine as firefox, it includes sync (from firefox)
>>
Are there any potential consequences of converting all duplicate files in my home folder to hard links?
>>
>>51577096
Yes.
Why would you want to anyway? Besides large videos etc, the space savings are going to be pretty small.
>>
So I learned some basic python and now I want to learn something new. I'm going into CE next year and want to learn as much programing as possible before I start. What language would be good?
>>
File: ssd.png (130 KB, 593x371) Image search: [Google]
ssd.png
130 KB, 593x371
So I bought a 500GB one of these on the Black Friday sale on Amazon for 50% off, my question is whether or not I need to actually mount and install this thing inside of my case.

I have the SATA-USB cable, is there some disadvantage to me using this SSD externally via that cable?
>>
File: 1.jpg (78 KB, 889x666) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
78 KB, 889x666
I dissassembled my dead laptop and took the DVD drive out. Will this plug into a desktop motherboard and be ready to use or will it require some sort of adapter or additional cable?
>>
on android, how do I disable the camera functions on the phone? do I have to be rooted?
>>
>>51577537
If you want the performance benefits you should connect it directly to a SATA port.
>>
>>51577568
if you unplug the other side you'll find it's regular sata with a smaller power connector

you can get break-out cables that you can use to connect it to any desktop
>>
>>51577568
Unplug the plastic bit from the back of the drive you retard
>>
>>51577656

Cool

On a related note, I assume RAM sticks for laptops won't be compatible with a desktop mobo due to size and even if there are adapters it's not really worth it?

Also, and this is going beyond stupid, if the CPU on the desktop I'm gonna build dies for whatever reason, I can't put the laptop's i7-3612QM in there as a temporary replacement, right? Different sockets and shit?
>>
Got an Asus VG248qe for my first PC but when I turn on the screen it says "DVI no signal" and the power light turns orange. The pins seem fine as does the rest of the computer. Is there a way to determine if my PC is working fine, and whether the DVI signal error is the fault of the PC or the monitor?
>>
>>51574071
I've had good luck with imaging to accomplish a Mobo switch. The Windows key crap is easy to do, you just call into their automated phone system. You can also install HDD drivers during the image setup, so that should be fine. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
>>
>>51577727
Adapters are like 10 bucks
Yes, is uses a different socket
>>
>>51577727
there are indeed SO-DIMM (laptop ram) to DIMM (desktop ram) adapters as well
whether it's worth it depends on how much the adapters cost vs. equivalent desktop ram

not sure about the cpu
>>
Is the $34.99 Amazon Fire good for record keeping?
I just want a tablet i can pull-out; write or search bullshit, schedule, etc. on and store it in a fanny pack (Yes, I'm a huge faggot)
>>
>>51577816

Okay I'll check those. Although I'll probably end up not using them because of different speeds

I'll have to open this shit netbook I'm using and see if I can put the RAM in there, going from 894 MB to 4 gigs should be a nice upgrade if it works
>>
>>51577816
This can't possibly be cost effective...
Unless you're using it for testing or something.
>>
>>51577893
they do have to be the same type (as in, DDR > DDR, DDR2 > DDR2, etc), but different speeds will work, all sticks will run at the lowest common speed
>>
>>51577941

Yeah I'm not sure what type this netbook has

It's from like 2009
>>
>>51577997
should be ddr3, then
>>
>>51577927

eh if the thing is cheap and you get freem ram sticks out of some dead toaster I don't see why not
>>
File: screen.png (778 KB, 1917x1028) Image search: [Google]
screen.png
778 KB, 1917x1028
So I recently upgrade monitors.

I was previously running in 1024x768, and my new monitor is 1920x1200.

When I look at a lot of sites now I get a layout like this. Very skinny.

Is this normal behavior? Or do I need to switch something over in my browser settings to get it to take advantage of the whole screen?
>>
I'm trying out Vivaldi browser, seems pretty alright. But why does it do this? It brings up a new icon in the taskbar, is this just some kind of bug since it's beta?
>>
Is there going to be an issue if I use two different series of RAM
>>
File: gregsg.png (8 KB, 60x110) Image search: [Google]
gregsg.png
8 KB, 60x110
>>51578359

Oh right the image

Don't really like the scrolling though
>>
>>51574029
what do i need to convert 3.5mm to digital coaxial?
>>
>>51578359
>>51578381
Something similar happened to me as well. It was indeed a bug. I fixed it by removing the cancerous browser from my computer and installing a proper replacement.
Hope this helps!
>>
Okay, so, >>51576177 here.

Made some developments while implementing the LFSR at the flip-flop level.

For one, I don't know how to properly seed it so it'll have an initial value. After that I need to figure out how to have it be compared to the max value and if it fails that I need the LFSR to be queried for information again.

I think the issue is stability, I don't know how to hold the values of a quickly clocked LSFR.

I also don't know how to take a 4-bit number and use it as a countdown until an LED is lit and a counter is started.
>>
File: hhehe.png (119 KB, 288x291) Image search: [Google]
hhehe.png
119 KB, 288x291
>>51578492

Thanks
>>
File: LFSR maybe.png (46 KB, 1639x758) Image search: [Google]
LFSR maybe.png
46 KB, 1639x758
>>51578580
Oh, this is what I have now
>>
File: Capture.jpg (19 KB, 177x356) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
19 KB, 177x356
Hopefully someone here can help, I could really use it.

So I purchased a book through google play because it was far cheaper than getting a physical copy, and this type of book is not something that is common or easy to find.

I assumed I would be able to download it as a .pdf, even with DRM protection that google play has as I've bought other ebooks from them that allowed me to do just that, but this one for some reason is only viewable through a browser or through the google play books app.

Is there any way I can create a .pdf or extract the one that is displayed directly from my browser? I've already tried to figure out how to do this without any luck.

pic related.
>>
>New E Series Thinkpad

>i5 and 8GB of RAM
>Painfully slow, even lags on changing chrome tabs
>Shits itself on stuff like Google Maps

>Not much storage (SSHD hybrid) space taken up
>low CPU and RAM usage
>no malware, scanned with a million programmes

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH IT?
>>
File: IMG_20151128_121013.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151128_121013.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
How do you remove wires from the female side of an ATX cable? Looked on Google and found lots of guides for the male side but not the female side.
>>
Couple questions here:

How much would a GTX 750 improve my setup (pic related)? I get around 30 some odd fps on high in The Phantom Pain, but it dips to the 20s when I hit areas that are heavy on lighting.

I'm also considering getting a 6.8 inch GTX 960, because a full sized version would barely fit in my case and I dont want it tugging at any cables. Is the card any different from the regular GTX 960s in terms of temps and performance?

What power supply should I go for assuming I upgrade my video card?
>>
>>51578376
aslong as they are all ddr3 or all ddr4 they will run fine,but they will run on the lowest clock stick
>>
>>51578632
new i5 are the same as old sandy bridges in power,but are more burst then sustainability
>>
>>51578835
Still shouldn't be this slow

I had an old laptop with an i3 and 4GB of RAM, hard drive was full YET it was 50x faster than this shit

My laptop is fast 20% of the time, which is what I suspect the true speed should be

Maybe there's one process fucking up the whole thing
>>
>>51578632

Are you running gentoo?
>>
File: 1448657660164.jpg (102 KB, 763x652) Image search: [Google]
1448657660164.jpg
102 KB, 763x652
I'm trying to figure out how to get some more fans into my setup preferably with the ability to control them. I've been looking at fan hubs and I can't seem to find if I can power the hub via molex from my PSU but control the fans via the CPU 4 pin header on my motherboard (ASUS M4A77TD)... I don't want to run the fans at 100% all the time but I don't want to rely on the 4 pin header for power... Any insight? Thanks in advance.
>>
YO poor fag here do I purchase a gtx750ti or gtx950? can afford both but looking for best value here.
>>
How shitty are amd CPUs / gpus? Say I want to make a budget pc build, would amd still be a okayish choice if I wanted to dual boot Linux and Windows (muh games)? Or is it really as shitty as everyone says it is?
>>
>>51577870
/g/ plz.
>>
Ever since I installed my new cpu and mobo Steam has been freezing constantly. The weird thing is that the first time I install it it works perfectly fine and it only starts freezing after restarting my PC. I've tried solving this problem but I see no one else having it. What the hell is going on?
>>
>>51578968
750ti will probably give slightly more fps/$

>>51579249
Their GPUs are fine
The weakness of their CPUs is single threaded performance, which can be a big factor in some games. Developers are getting better about it though.
>>
>>51579371
>>51578968
To add to this, on the other hand the 950 will last you longer and hold resale value for longer, if that something that you're worried about.
>>
What do you guys think of Chromebooks? Are they any good?

>inb4 welcome to the botnet

I'm looking into either getting a Chromebook or a Samsung tablet.

All I want to be able to do is watch movies/TV shows through something like VLC, browse the internet, type up documents and spreadsheets and maybe play some App games.

Would a Chromebook be a safe bet? Gives me a biger screen than a tablet.
>>
>>51579405
I bought the Acer C7 at $200 when it first released. It was a really solid laptop but only after you modified the bios to boot a linux distro and added another 2gbs of ram to it.
>>
why are heatpipes better for cooling than just straight air? why can't you just mount a fan to the cpu without a heatsink?
>>
>>51579503
If I don't want/can't do that, would you say the Chrome OS doesn't hinder someone who just wants to watch films and browse the net?

Is it essentially just a larger tablet?
>>
>>51579559
No it doesn't. A lot of the apps are internet connection dependent though so that may be annoying to you.
>>
File: 1445821134112.jpg (65 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1445821134112.jpg
65 KB, 540x540
>>51574029
How close can I get to the rated watts on my PSU before I should upgrade to a larger one?
>>
>>51579555

Phase change cooling my nigga.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthalpy_of_vaporization
>>
>>51579555
Because it transfers the heat to a larger surface area therefore its easier to cool. Congrades for having the most ignorant and stupid question in this thread though.
>>
>>51579371
>gpus are fine

Any issues with Linux? If their CPUs aren't that great I'll get a Intel then. I'm sure there are a few older models that are still viable.
>>
>>51574637
>>51577800
Ok, what's the process like with this? I've never installed a motherboard before. Do I just turn it on and then follow the instructions after I've plugged everything in?
>>
I want to put a piece of electric or duct tape over my phone camera. will the tape do any damage to the lens?
>>
I'm learning to rice GNU/Linux and now I'm modyfing GTK3 theme to match my wallpaper and terminal colors. How can I change text background color on these buttons (Andrea, Sans Regular)? I want them to be like "link button" on the bottom.
>>
File: DSC_0061~2.jpg (1 MB, 2160x2954) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0061~2.jpg
1 MB, 2160x2954
How fucked am I?

Best way to debotnet?

>inb4 uninstall windows
>>
>>51580159
It may leave adhesive residue but you should be able to clean it off (carefully) without causing damage.
>>
>>51580159
no but you may have damage to your brain if you think that's gonna solve anything
>>
Hey fellas, I was wondering how I could install iTunes on my Windows 10 running pc without it becoming a huge mess for all my media files. I know certain parts of the program can be downloaded separately to suit my needs but I don't know where to being at all. I'm trying to put some mp4s onto my iPod nano but nothing is being properly recognized. Wat do?
>>
>>51580403
Google how to roll back to the old version

there is literally a folder called windows.old after upgrading so you can go back lossless
>>
If I have 2 850 evos should I do a raid 0 setup, I've heard that if one drive crashes on a raid then you lose everything. What do
>>
>>51580870
>raid 0
>with ssds
enjoy your doubled latency
>>
>>51580159
In my experience, electric tape falls off after a few weeks. Surprisingly, the best thing I've used so far is the sticky part of a postit note.
>>
So. I've been using qBittorent for a few years now and I have some issues with it.

Firstly, when downloading big torrents the thing almost never gets downloaded 100% and I'm forced to spend a fuckload of time doing a forced recheck.

Secondly. Whenever I close the program without first disabling the torrent I have to do a full recheck of all the torrents I'm downloading.

Are these qBitt issues or more torrenting issues in general?

Think it might be worth using Transmission for a while to see if things get better?
>>
>>51578625
Try lainchan, /diy/ or somewhere else where users actually know about technology beyond consumerism.
>>
File: 1448406275039.png (844 KB, 2000x1987) Image search: [Google]
1448406275039.png
844 KB, 2000x1987
>>51580159
>I want to cover my phone camera

for what purpose
>>
>>51581068
Why not use silver tape? They seem to stick really good in my experience.

Granted maybe a bit to well.
>>
File: PC.png (89 KB, 1190x531) Image search: [Google]
PC.png
89 KB, 1190x531
How's this for a PC build? My budget is £1200 but I need space for peripherals which I haven't thought about yet.

Also, I found a GTX 980 for £380 ($570), is it so cheap for a reason? Will it be really loud or is it an old model or something? Should I buy it or wait for cyber monday
>>
>>51581163
You're only going with 250GB storage space, you know that right?
>>
>>51581163
I'm retarded and forgot the GTX 980 link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00O3JZAYA
>>
>>51581106
>true communism
Where is that picture from?

Europa Unviversalis general?
>>
>>51581197
I can buy more if I need it but there's only ~10 steam games plus the blizzard collection that I'll ever play at the moment.
>>
>>51581231
What about music and videos? I mean a 1TB HDD is only like $60 man.
>>
>>51581257
I suppose. I'm absolutely new to building PCs, so how do I make sure my os is on the ssd?

And a really stupid question, if I have 20GB left on both and want to download a 40GB file, will it still download fine or split it so it wouldn't work very well ?
>>
>>51581302
If I remember right you just tell the install software to use your SSD.

And AFAIK you have to download the file to one drive or the other, so it wouldn't download at all.
>>
>>51581329
OK cheers man, gonna add a HDD although not totally sure which.

Is the rest of the build OK? How about the GTX980 on >>51581200
>>
How possible would it be to port KitKat (CM11) to a device which was released with Lollipop?

Let's say this device has CyanogenMod and kernel sources available.
>>
>>51580761
I... Installed it on purpose. It wasn't an auto update.

Do we have a good guide for debotnetting? I already deselected all the privacy options at startup and in PC settings.
>>
What kind of framerate should I expect in FO4 with this setup?

12GB DDR3 RAM
nvidia GTX 950
AMD Athlon II X6
>>
>>51580870
>I've heard that if one drive crashes on a raid then you lose everything.
You've heard right, RAID0 is dangerous in that regard. It doesn't even have to be a drive crashing, even the RAID controller freaking out for whatever reason can have the same effect.

RAID0 has its uses with the theoretically doubled read/write speeds, but NEVER EVER keep ANYTHING important on a RAID0 array.

I've had my boot drive on a RAID0 array for the past 9 years, and I've seen my fair share of ups and downs. For instance, getting a new motherboard means losing all data on your RAID0 unless you're using a PCI-e controller, or you're going to a different motherboard with the exact same controller.

Rule of thumb is, if you're running RAID0, don't put anything you can't afford to lose on it. Aside from that, if you want faster read/write speeds, go nuts.
>>
File: IMG_2277b.jpg (115 KB, 800x396) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2277b.jpg
115 KB, 800x396
What the fuck those numbers are suppose to mean?
>>
>>51581427
Don't think you will get that many problems.

I mean, Fallout 4 is a terribly made piece of shit held together with scotch tape so you are gonna get some slowdowns. It's inevitable when it comes to Bethesda games.

For reference, I run the game fine with only 4gb DDR3, GTX 760 and a i5-750.
>>
>>51581479
There are two sets of 4GB chips
>>
>>51581479
That it's a part of a kit with two 4GB sticks, I'd assume.
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-12800cl9d-8gbxl
And oh hey look, it is.
>>
>>51581500
>>51581509
Does it matters if one stick of ram is different than the other one in those numbers if I were to buy a new one? Like, will it be any problems or incompatible?
>>
>>51581517
As long as it's DD3 you should be safe.
>>
>>51581517
Generally you want identical sticks of ram because they'll have the same architecture/software. they must be ddr3 though.
>>
>>51581517
There's a very, very small chance that you might run into compatibility problems when using different RAM sticks alongside each other.

But most of the time (like in 90%+ cases), the fastest RAM will just happily underclock itself to match the slowest sticks and everything will be fine.
>>
>>51581531
>>51581557
>>51581566
Thanks for the help. Wanted to buy new ram but the 4GBx2 in the pic were confusing me, they are DDR3, 1600 frequency and same voltage tho.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (122 KB, 944x594) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
122 KB, 944x594
Does anyone know what is causing this? It continues through out the video but switches around. Chrome, Chrome canary and Chromium all do this. My video card drivers are all up to date and both Firefox and Edge show the videos just fine. I'm on Windows 10, newish build. Steam for some reason also has this stuff in the trailer in the store place.
>>
File: 2015-11-29_00-19-09.png (31 KB, 745x493) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-29_00-19-09.png
31 KB, 745x493
Guys...this kinda scares me.
What do? What's even happenings?
>>
>>51581588
Have you tried forcing the video to either use flash or html5?

Could be one of those two fucking up.
>>
In RAM, I understand it works as blocks of storage. Does each access location of a RAM only store 1/0's or the whole number.

For example, the number 23 is 10111. would that be stored across 5 cells or would the whole number be put into one cell?
>>
File: Images.jpg (29 KB, 457x460) Image search: [Google]
Images.jpg
29 KB, 457x460
The core issue people have with general threads are they have nothing to say. They are lazy thread-craft.

The basic rule should be the OP post must have something of value to it,even if that value is merely asking a question.

A general thread often has the exact same OP post over and over, and contributes nothing to discussion, and stimulates no further discussion. It simply says "here: talk about this thing. I give you nothing, but I want you to provide me with entertaining content".

The rules already touch on this:

>The quality of posts is extremely important to this community. Contributors are encouraged to provide high-quality images and informative comments.

A general thread OP does none of this.

All 4chan needs is better posts and mods who actually care about the concept. If a person posts a thread that's bereft of content it should be deleted, simple as that.
>>
What browser do I use?
I don't want to use Firefox anymore
>>
Having trouble with Cat6a compatibility. Needed a long outdoor cable to join two separate networks together across a long distance. I bought http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0040Y1P7E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Works fine from router (TD-W8970) to my desktop (MSI Gaming 5), doesn't work between the router and when connecting to my laptop/TL-SF1005D switch/TL-SG105 switch/TL-WR702N router, it just doesn't recognise any cable being patched in.
>>
Is a 4x2TB RAID5 array safe? I'm not considering it my "final backup", but rather, people tell me terabyte-scale RAID5 arrays are bad ideas and almost certain to never work. I'm new to the whole RAIDing thing other than RAID10; but I need those extra 2TB. Is RAID5 worth it?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-28-19-08-01.png (184 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-28-19-08-01.png
184 KB, 1440x2560
I accidentally hit send for a message to instagram, and then i "unsent" it. Is there a chance that she sees the message through a notification on her phone, even though i deleted it?
>>
>>51582388
In my experience, even if I "Unsend" a message, the recipient still gets it.
Also
>she
Say something ya wish ya didn't?
>>
>>51582545
Sent her a link to a 4chan page where someone was threatening to release her nudes. Dont know her and dont wanna get involved.
>>
>>51582612
She probably can't do much about it, its 4chan. Worst case is she thinks it's you making the thread and you're blackmailing her or something. Make it clear you only thought she should know. The message may very well have been sent, so your best friend is now going to be >>>/adv/ and ask for life advice
>>
File: 9784613246877984546.jpg (72 KB, 704x396) Image search: [Google]
9784613246877984546.jpg
72 KB, 704x396
Hello, what is a VPN subscription my friend can buy that is not banned on 4chan? He is studying in China.

Disclaimer: Asking for a friend, not ban evading, etc.
>>
>>51581624
Well, disabled html5 player with an extension and no videos will play at all.
>>
>get a Moto E 2nd gen
>try to install Metal Slug 3
>can't put files from the PC in there

What do?
>>
File: test.jpg (170 KB, 1300x491) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
170 KB, 1300x491
Recently I pirated a steam game, and I feel like every since I installed it, my computer has gone to shit. I uninstalled it the same night, but the problems didn't stop.

First off, programs randomly seem to be getting fucked up, for example, when I try to start OBS, it gives me an error message when I click "start stream" until I reinstall it. It never did this before. Also, when trying to load up a certain game on steam, I can play it the first time, then next time I try to load it before turning off my computer, I get an error message that a file is missing until I restart my computer.

Next, my CPU (or something else?) seems to have completely gone to shit. It is lagging like it has never done before, and it gets to the point where my speakers start to making crackling noises for some reason.

And the last noticeable problem is that whenever I click "shut down", my computer doesn't shut down most of the time. It just sits like it was before, except I can no longer access control panel or a few other things, everything else works fine, I end up having to shut it down with the power button and potentially losing things I had up.

This is probably too lengthy for a thread like this, but I have run out of ideas, I've scanned for viruses with MSE and MalwareBytes and neither could find the problem. Do I just reformat and hope for the best, or is this a hardware issue that is unrelated to the pirated game that was probably a virus
>>
File: 9.png (30 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
9.png
30 KB, 300x100
>>51574029
I LOVE CIRNO!
THIS ISN'T A QUESTION?
>>
>>51583062
Also about the program stuff, foobar doesn't seem to be loading my library anymore normally and I have to load it again. Makes it seem like a hard drive issue or something but with all the other shit going on, I'm not so sure it could just be the hard drive
>>
Anyone here a manlet that uses the ikea Markus chair, how is it?
>>
File: 1365877136358.png (338 KB, 381x359) Image search: [Google]
1365877136358.png
338 KB, 381x359
Is there any real reason not to Seasonic power cables with a Corsair power supply? Eg to hard drives, video card, etc
They all say "use cords for this power supply only" etc but I don't see the difference if it's all just identical copper wire.
I think my Seasonic PSU died so I want to try my Corsair PSU in it, and what better use of a modular power supply than just taking one out and putting another in without dealing with wires and cable management for an hour.
>>
Is the difference between the regular Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce, and the G1 version, worth the extra £25?

Regular: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00NZT6D68/

G1: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NQ862GY/

I plan to overclock, and I've read the G1 has a better factory clock or something? And it also has a backplate and stuff. I've also read the heatpipes are different or something. Just wondering if it's worth it, if anyone can give some better input than random forum posts I've read.
>>
>>51583062
Dude, I've been having the EXACT problems recently and I can't for the life of me figure out what started it. Buzzing noise over sound, occasionally lag, occasional CPU spikes, Foobar and other programs wiping settings like foobar library locations.

Weird as fuck and it's getting me down about my PC.
>>
Starting up a small business, what would be better for seamless integration and sync:
>Macbook with an iPhone
>Surface pro with a Lumia

I need it to synchronise contacts, calendar, shit like that instantly. My old Nokia bit the dust and the bluetooth Sync with outlook is amazing.
Money is not the issue, I can and will get the best it can offer; top of the line.
Currently leaning towards the Surface Pro because the tablet may help me more when I'm traveling.
If anyone has a similar setup, I'd love some input.
>>
File: hist.png (8 KB, 528x352) Image search: [Google]
hist.png
8 KB, 528x352
Is this histogram Normally Distributed or skewed to the right?
>>
What's a reliable website that hosts android app apks? I'm looking to get an older version of the Marvel Unlimited app.
>>
Why do people hate Windows 10?

?
>>
Whats Linux?
>>
>>51584013
It's a kernel.

>>51583994
It spies on you, and the privacy settings don't allow you to fully stop it.
>>
Are there any good cracks for Lightroom 6 that won't install fucking malware on my PC?
I had the chingliu Lightroom 5, but only LR 6 has HDR stacking built in (in LR 5 you have to use Photoshop as well, I'd like to only have one installed)
>inb4 use a free as in freedom alternative
I do that for Photoshop already and it's fine but almost every free RAW editor alternative either doesn't have batch, doesn't have HDR bracketing (forcing me to use a separate tool that produces meh results), or is OK but is extremely tedious with no batch whatsoever (what I've been using, ChasysDraw). I used the Lightroom CC trial and it's been perfect.
>inb4 just use the first result on KAT
I would but apparently it's embedded with "Expiro-DD". I'm not taking any risks.
>inb4 ask /p/
They're too slow.
>inb4 ask /r/
All they care about is JAV porn.

Please help, /g/
>>
Why is lenovo so fucking trash?
>>
What's the easiest way to buy bitcoins? I want to buy some to use for a VPN.
>>
Question about home internet:
Right now I have my main PC connected to my router through ethernet (cord runs under my house, was a bitch to set up). I'm trying to add a second computer in my room and need it to have an ethernet connection as well but I really dont want to run another cable. I have an old linksys WRT45G router lying around and was wondering if I turned that into a hub (or repeater or whatever) would I be able to have both comps run through the router with ethernet. Basically, can I just make the router into a hub and have 2 computers suck internet out of it without losing speed from speed from either computer.
>>
>>51584513
nevermind. Solved it. Plugged the ethernet from original router into port 1 on new router and then plugged in an ethernet from port 4 into my comp.
>>
>>51584559
>>51584513
follow up. Will I be losing a significant amount of speed doing this?
>>
>>51584597
one way to find out
http://www.speedtest.net/
>>
>>51584636
yeah just did it. Didn't lose any speed. But I only have 1 pc connected right now. Will be interesting to see what it's like once both are connected and trying to do shit.
>>
File: settings.png (155 KB, 1015x639) Image search: [Google]
settings.png
155 KB, 1015x639
I have a 144Hz monitor. I updated my GPU drivers, and I tried messing around with the settings (pic related). When I turned on Super Resolution and GPU scaling, I noticed my framerate dropped down from 144Hz. Alright, makes sense, but when I turned them off again, it didn't go back up. What's up with that?
>>
File: parabola.png (4 KB, 178x150) Image search: [Google]
parabola.png
4 KB, 178x150
Is there any real reason to use Parabola over Arch? Will I still get the rolling reason deal?
>>
>>51584888
Fixed it.
Turns out when I had turned those settings on, it switched my monitor's settings down to 60Hz maximum. I just had to bump it back up to 140Hz.
>>
>>51584919
I installed parabola yesterday. It was a mistake.

How I wasted my Saturday evening:
>Download and boot into the main Parabola ISO
>Notice the mirrors being slow
>Cntrl+C; vi /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
>No mirrors near an ausfag
Damage level: low
>Installation wiki was actually pretty intuitive
>Install a DE, login to it
>pacman -S chromium
>not found
>pacman -Ss chromium
>not found
>pacman -Ss firefox
>not found
>pacman -Ss opera
>suggests icecat
>install ice cat
>cancer
Damage level: medium
>Try and compile base-devel yajl package-query, want yaourt
>fail
Damage level: alarming
>Parabola wiki
>poor documentation
>"b43-fwcutter is a blacklisted package"
Damage level: Fatal
>Fuck back to arch
>regret
>>
>>51584953
>install ice cat
>cancer
kek
>>
>>51584974
And I thought chromium was "free". Stallmanists are the newest form of extremists
>>
File: 1447801380192.jpg (17 KB, 251x217) Image search: [Google]
1447801380192.jpg
17 KB, 251x217
>>51585014
>And I thought chromium was "free"
Come on bro
>>
Never found an answer to this, but can one just use standard key caps on IBM model m keyboard?
(exucse the obvious gross ignorance)
>>
How do cases with integrated fan controllers work? The integrated controller and the fans connect to the mobo? I want to figure this out before I buy. I'm specifically looking at fractal design define r5, but they don't really go into detail on it and neither do any of the reviews.

Also if anyone has gotten a fractal case with padding to remove noise, does it work well?
>>
Would a 250 dollar pair of floorstanding speakers or bookshelf speakers be better?
Not sure if there's a price where bookshelf are better for the money soundwise.
I've got a budget of 250 for speakers and I was interested in floorstanding since I've read they have better sound and I have the space for them now.

Anyone have recommendations? Thanks
>>
File: 2015-11-28-112703_967x736_scrot.png (125 KB, 967x736) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-28-112703_967x736_scrot.png
125 KB, 967x736
>trying to edit id3 tags
>this shit happens
It happens with mpd's inbuilt tagging too. Ex Falso doesn't change half of the shit I input, but the other half works fine. (performer works, album artist doesn't)

wat do?
>>
>>51582192
pale moon
>>
>>51585408
Floor standing speakers won't sound any better than bookshelf speakers and they'll just take up more space.
>>
File: 41X3H7KREjL._SX450_.jpg (13 KB, 450x309) Image search: [Google]
41X3H7KREjL._SX450_.jpg
13 KB, 450x309
HELP SAVE MY SSD /g/

I have a 2009 OCZ Vertex Series (Indilinx controller)

I had to do a hard reset on my PC because it crashed, and this caused my SSD to no longer be recognized in my PC's BIOS. I tested the SSD in other PCs and in an external SATA enclosure as well and none of these could detect the drive either so it's definitely the SSD.

I've read that my SSD has gone into a "panicked, sleep mode" due to the power interruption. I know that it's not bricked because when I put the jumper in the SSD to enable engineering mode, it then shows up in the BIOS, but I can't access my files in this mode.

When in normal mode (without the jumper), it cannot be detected but the HDD indicator LED on my PC is a solid blue and stays that way.

Do you guys know how I can at least access a read-only mode so I can save some files that are on the drive? I know there are some tricks that can wake up the SSD and make it stop panicking like a bitch.
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-28+at+07.37.30).png (89 KB, 881x666) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-28+at+07.37.30).png
89 KB, 881x666
why does my torrent client just sit inactive most of the time
It didn't used to do this, I used to be seeding shit constantly but recently I only get a couple gigs up a day
>>
OK so I was clearing some drivers from my computer with driver sweeper so I could have clean drivers. Went fine. It did its restart and then my display went black. I can't see nothing. My computer is fine cause I hear the audio and everything like before but I just can't see anything.

What did I do and how do I fix it
>>
Can someone tell me the name of the adapter that lets me put my headphones into my PC?

Makes the headphones go from a big thick connector to a small one.
>>
>>51585530
you should ask geek squad
>>
Running a i5 4600, when I go into Gigabyte Ez-Tune, it shows core 1 and 2 at 34 frequency, core 3 at 33, and core 4 at 32. Why is this and should I change them all to 34?
>>
sorry for bothering
I know I'll probably be told to fuck off because
>gaming
>laptop
but I need one because I'll have to travel frequently for a job in the near future, and I can't carry a desktop around with me, so please don't suggest that instead
yes, I know this is a waste of money in comparison to a desktop, yes, I know I'm a fucking faggot

which of these laptops should I go with?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-001A-00098
or
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SJ2G7UI
>>
>>51585531
6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter
>>
>>51585563
Also when I do change them all to 34 it changes my "cpu vrin" from 1.8v to 1.73v What does this mean?
>>
>>51585613
Thx
>>
>>51585530
>OK so I was clearing some drivers from my computer with driver sweeper so I could have clean drivers.
What.
What does that even MEAN?

>>51585531
Your laptop probably has a 3.5mm TRS socket. I'd need to know more to guess what the "big thick connector" is.
>>
>>51585626
I was using that driver sweeper that gets rid of unwanted drivers or old drivers from your computer. Drivers from your graphics card
>>
>>51585661
That sounds like a great way to break things. Can't you just uninstall the unnecessary drivers?

>It did its restart and then my display went black. I can't see nothing. My computer is fine cause I hear the audio and everything like before but I just can't see anything.
Reboot into safe mode, install a new graphics driver.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.