[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: 4L_kvF5V9qR.jpg (273 KB, 525x750) Image search: [Google]
4L_kvF5V9qR.jpg
273 KB, 525x750
old thread >>>51523384

is it safe to change the thermal paste on a laptop cpu, specifically a slightly old probook, and would it be worthwhile at this point since performance/temps are regular
>>
>>51540760
Can never hurt if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>51540760
How long does the november update take to install? It said it was at 100% and since then windows has been rebooting, it's been 5 hours already. Am i stuck on a bootloop? How can I fix without going back to a previous build, which is something i did at my first 5 attempts to install this shit, yet this keeps happening.
>>
I want to install a linux distro on a flash drive so I can run it on any computer. can I use my linux installed flash drive on a chromebook and have it run linux?
>>
sup /g/
any good tips, tutorial, guides etc. to get into node.js?
>>
>>51541057
after downloading it should take around 15 minutes
>>
>>51541068
Not on chromebooks. Locked down shitmachines. Why would you even buy one?
>>
the mobo I'm buying is an Asus H81M. I think the M means it's mini or some shit, certainly smaller than the non-M version

If I put that into a regular case (not micro-atx or whatever they're called), will there be any issues with size, like not being able to plug the GPU or some shit like that?
>>
>>51541281
You'll be fine. You will just have a lot of space left in the case.
>>
>>51541371

Good to know

It's my first time looking into PC parts and I'm a bit overwhelmed by all these options and versions of things

An H81 is fine if I'm not gonna do any overclocking, SLI/Xfire and use only two drives, right?
>>
If I setup a rasberry pi can I use it for SFTP without configuring anything since they have ssh by default? also how do I make sure my pi doesn't get hacked?
>>
I want to learn another programing language. I only know some basic python and I want to learn something different. I'm thinking of C++ yay or nay? If nay what should I learn insted?
>>
>>51541428
yes go for it
>>
can i set up mail transports between two exchange servers with mutual tls authentication when the mx records for each domain point to smart hosts which the exchange servers normally sit behind?
>>
Seems like I have made a fuckup in purchasing components for my first gaming PC build.

I have a MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard and a 480 GB Kingston HyperX Predator PCIe M.2 SSD. With the SSD inserted, POST fails with an error code of D6. With the SSD not inserted, POST passes. The motherboard has the latest BIOS version loaded.

I checked the storage compatibility of the motherboard and it is apparent that support for PCIe or M.2 drives is thin and my drive is not supported.

Is there no hope for getting the drive to work with my motherboard?

I'm thinking of returning it and just getting a 1 TB SATA SSD instead.
>>
>>51541525

Maybe you could get an adapter cable and plug the thing to an USB 3.0 port, but obviously speeds won't be the same

I'd return it
>>
>>51541068
maybe, but you'll need to unlock the bootloader first. check out the arch and gentoo wikis for entries about your specific model and also johnlewis.ie
>>51541416
>If I setup a rasberry pi can I use it for SFTP without configuring anything since they have ssh by default?
yes. you sound like a pleb so use filezilla because it's simple
>also how do I make sure my pi doesn't get hacked?
generate an ssh key, add it to the pi, disable password logins through ssh
>>
File: dinosaur with no eyes.jpg (167 KB, 650x520) Image search: [Google]
dinosaur with no eyes.jpg
167 KB, 650x520
Hey /g/. If I can choose between various copies of a song (ie, there are two different files I'm looking to download which both supposedly contain the same song) can I trust bitrate to correlate with audio quality?

>>51541223
A minute of googling tells me this is incorrect.
>>51541068
I'm afraid I don't have any expertise in this area, but you should just be able to google it.
>>51541428
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-001-structure-and-interpretation-of-computer-programs-spring-2005/
>>
File: 1448553840935[1].jpg (22 KB, 384x397) Image search: [Google]
1448553840935[1].jpg
22 KB, 384x397
reposting from last thread
I nicked a mobo/CPU off a friend and instead of having a proper 20+4 pin connector like every fucking other goddamn motherboard they decided to divide it up into:
4 pin ATX for the CPU
6 pin molex for the mobo
and two of whatever the FUCK this pin I've never fucking seen before that i illustrated in this mspaint pic for the SATA power

I'm guessing I could probably fit the 4 rounded connector that comes in a 4+4 ATX in it but I'm not sure if that's a good idea, but I can't find a single fucking PSU that has these pins though

Now, this stupid shape IS present in the middle of a 20+4 pin, can I just get a male to male connector from radio shack and siphon it off it or am i going to blow something up?

2nd question, if i make sure I'm within safe voltage draw, should I run a couple of those 4 pin peripheral to molex converters to my GPU? I've heard a lot of bad things about doing this but most of those retards seemed to be mismanaging their power draw
>>
>>51541700
Yeah, that sounds like a newish dell board. Give it back to your work/school, Tyrone
>>
>>51541603
planning on using WinSCP also is SSH key needed if using a 64 character password?
>>
>>51541734
it came from some piece of shit HP thing from 5 years ago, i'd really like to find a solution to nig rig this shit over dropping $100 on another one
>>
>>51541793
Do you have the original psu?
>>
File: 1386886410789.jpg (476 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1386886410789.jpg
476 KB, 1920x1080
How come on my Android device my Twitter feed is full of images, but the same feed on my computer most of the images aren't there?
I've looked in the options but to no avail...
>>
>>51541760
also changing the port
>>
>>51541828
no, thing was 250w and he threw it out before i jewed the i5 and mobo off him for $100
>>
I have a text file - dictionary in a format:
<keyword><tab><frequency>

How can I eliminate all lines where frequency is less than 'n' using linux commands.
>>
I can't open any network stream in VLC on windows anymore.
It just spits out it can't open it, even though it works fine with ffplay.
I feel like it's not even trying.

What could I try to get it working again?
I already reinstalled it and checked the firewall.
>>
>>51542171
upgrade your drivers and run an antivirus scan ;)
>>
What's a safe website that host Android APKs? I'm not looking to pirate paid apps, just free shit that's not on the Amazon app store. I bought one of those Fires for $35 and want to sideload Marvel Unlimited and maybe a few others.
>>
Using C++, how do I insert text into the middle of a text file without overwriting?
>>
How do i get a cpu fan off without ripping the entire thing out of the socket?
>>
>>51542442
run the pc for a bit first, warm/hot thermal paste is soft, it's only hard when it's cold
>>
>>51542442
Twist
>>
>Getting an SSD in a few days
What's the best way to move a Windows install over to an SSD from my current system drive, /sqt/ ?
I'd like to avoid reinstalling cause it's a lot of effort.
>>
>>51541525
>>51541563

I've decided to return it and get a high performance ~1TB SATA SSD instead.

Am I required to pick a SSD off the motherboard's official list of compatible SSDs?

I'm looking at the SanDisk Extreme PRO 960GB. Would that work?
>>
>>51542862

Cloning
>>
>>51542868

Shouldn't it be okay as long as the ports match?
>>
>>51543081
I thought cloning was implied in the question, I meant something more along the lines of which piece of software should I use for it ?
>>
>>51543157
windows
>>
File: sfe blud.png (10 KB, 630x142) Image search: [Google]
sfe blud.png
10 KB, 630x142
Hello Friends.

I'm building a NAS. Managed to get a free 500W PSU, and a free i5-2500.

Now, pic related is a matrix of array options I could go for. Of course, 6NO. 4TB drives would be the best value overall, but would also be quite expensive. It clearly isn't worth getting 6NO. 2TB drives.

My questions are :

1) Can I use WD greens for a NAS? I understand I can switch off head parking using a firmware tweak.....

2) are 'NAS' hard drives (WD reds + Seagate NAS) worth it? Do they offer benefits over Desktop ones aside from

PS. Im using this nas as a semi backup device.
>>
>>51543221
You mean there's a built-in tool in Windows that can do it ?
It doesn't seem to be a part of disk management, care to explain ?
>>
File: 55 KBb.jpg (37 KB, 407x300) Image search: [Google]
55 KBb.jpg
37 KB, 407x300
>>51540760

I am about to try to install Windows 8.1 on an older laptop with a 2.0ghz Pentium 4 and 1 gigabyte of 233mhz RAM. Am I fucking up?
>>
>>51543290
Not that dude but clonezilla is easy as balls to use
>>
>>51543273
*aside from warranty

fuck this A.D.D.
>>
File: final pc build.jpg (101 KB, 633x848) Image search: [Google]
final pc build.jpg
101 KB, 633x848
should i pull the trigger?
>>
>>51543612
yes
>>
>>51543612
>gaymen rig
>pcie SSD AND 500gb SSD
>gaymen rig
>WD black for no reason
>gaymen rig
>wifi card in a desktop

Yes pull the trigger. Make sure to put the gun to your head first you drooling retard.
>>
Are Storage Spaces good for backups?
>>
Is it true that you can't take a windows activation code off of a computer that came with windows OEM?

TL:DR can I take a win7 code off of any computer
>>
Is it possible to use a raspberry pi to do the following things:

- when MicroSD card is plugged in, after 10pm, start torrent client and download stuff
- when it's morning, stop downloading

I'm asking this for a friend who actually only has a phone and a crappy laptop, as well as crappy internet.
He'd like to download things overnight so he can plug in the SDcard in his phone and watch some anime or listen to music or whatever.
>>
>>51543350
All right, Clonezilla it is then.
>The destination partition must be equal or larger than the source one.
Does this depend on the actual partition size, or how much data is on it ?
I'm going to be transferring from a 500GB RAID0 consisting of 2x250GB HDDs to a 500GB 850 EVO, so I guess it should be fine either way, right ?
>>
>>51543912
>is it possible to write a program and use it on a computer
yes?
>>
Need a good mobo to go with a 4690K, any suggestions? Preferably right around $100
>>
Are there any halfway decent laptops that aren't plasticy pieces of shit, macbooks, or gimmicky?
>>
>>51544048
MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition is a very solid mobo for its price, they basically went and cut down on third party connectors like additional SATA ports and the like to put good components where it matters.

Should be somewhere around 100 USD in burgercountry.
>>
>>51544101
Sounds like what you want is either a business laptop or an ultrabook.
Thinkpads are great laptops without bells and whistles, and although the cases are made of plastic (with a magnesium rollcage on the inside), they don't feel like cheap plasticy pieces of shit at all.
>>
>>51543887

It's true.
>>
Do I need a specific sort of motherboard to work with ECC ram? or is that just a meme.
>>
>>51543912

Tell your 'friend' that anime is for faggots
>>
How do I change my primary graphics card? My computer keeps saying all I have is a Intell Graphics but I have another that is meant for gaming but it never shows up. How do I change it to my primary
>>
>>51545148
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=graphics+card+shows+up+as+integrated+also+how+to+make+aflatoxin+and+kill+the+president+of+the+united+states+with+it&l=1
>>
>>51540760
Include "Stupid" in OP next time.

>>51540760
Why did my captcha disappear in Firefox? I'm pretty sure I've broken something, but it's been that way for weeks now, so I can't remember specifically what broke it. Disabling adblockers, adding exclusions, both do nothing.

>>51545028
What's your card, and what's your power supply?
>>
I am upgrading from 2 sticks of 2GB DDR3 to a single 8GB stick tomorrow. Yeah, I think I could just add the 8GB stick and have 12GB total, but the old ram are 1066mhz while the new one is 1600mhz and I also worry about stability.

Anyways, is there anything I should do once I've made the ram upgrade? Should I go into the bios and refresh my settings or is it all automatic?
>>
Need an extension cord for cable management before my 212 gets here. These are the same, right? My manual doesn't mention anything about EPS, but I'm still not sure.
>>
>>51545228
hold the cmos reset button before putting the ram in, only release it when the ram is fully inserted
>>
File: extension cord.png (164 KB, 1202x878) Image search: [Google]
extension cord.png
164 KB, 1202x878
>>51545265
Maybe it would help if I included the picture.
>>
Asked in the wrong thread, but someone told me to destroy/trash it so I'll probably go with that.

Still, if anyone knows what the laws in CA on finding a camera drone in your backyard entail I'd like to hear it.
>>
>>51545294
california actually does have absolutely rediculous meme laws regarding drones, although i have extreme doubt they're enforced and would check out whats on it

if you can easily disassemble it, try to see if you can change what wavelength it broadcasts on so it doesn't phone home if its a LEO drone
>>
>>51543934
Since it's a Samsung one, you could use their data migration software specifically made for this kind of things. Works great as well.
>>
>>51545289
>>51545265
Eps is for the cpu pins, yes.
>>
Will there be any performance loss by using a USB to PS/2 converter for my mouse? Trying to free up some USB ports.
>>
>>51545368
Thanks for that. Wonder why that wouldn't be in the manual?
>>
>>51545388
No not at all. Using ps2 makes your Windows to do less polling. Also nkey rollover is nice.

Will pairing a 2700k with a 980ti be a good idea?
>>
>>51545228
>but the old ram are 1066mhz while the new one is 1600mhz
If you just add the new one, it'll just be underclocked to run at the same speed as the old RAM. This generally won't be noticeable in everyday tasks, it -might- be noticeable under some very specific workloads that require speedy RAM, but mostly it'll be measurable in benchmarks and that's it.

>I also worry about stability.
This -should- not be a problem. Most of the time different RAM sticks will work perfectly fine with each other without any issues. Compatibility/stability issues between different RAM are extremely rare. Worst case scenario you just take your two 2GB sticks out and call it a day.

Honestly, I'd recommend you just add the 8GB stick to what you have now, there isn't really much reason not to.

>Should I go into the bios and refresh my settings or is it all automatic?
Mostly automatic. Sometimes your motherboard might ask you to either hop into your BIOS/UEFI to verify settings or load defaults and just carry on. This is normal, and you can just press the button to enter BIOS/UEFI, save and reboot, and carry on like normal.
>>
>>51540760
How much hotter will a GPU with 2 fans be than the 3-fan versions? (Let's take the R9 390 as an example)
>>
>>51545513
Not 1/3 much. But the 390 is pretty big so why not if you have the option.
>>
>>51545525
Only a 2-fan version is on sale, I can't find a sale on a 3-fan card. :(
>>
>>51545350
Samsung Magician, or something else ?
I wasn't entirely sure if Magician actually had migration features, and based on a screenshot my friend sent me it seemed like it didn't.
But if Samsung has a tool that works well, that's great.
>>
Is madvr a placebo or can you really notice a difference?
>>
>>51545542
MSI has a 2 fan option and is the best version of the 390.
>>
File: What a coincidence then.png (61 KB, 790x325) Image search: [Google]
What a coincidence then.png
61 KB, 790x325
>>51545571
Well ain't that a perfect coincidence
>>
>>51545559
Between madvr and the default renderer in mpc-hc, I notice a difference in performance, but quality seems the same.
With the default renderer, my GPU constantly did stupid things like jumping from idle speed and high usage to full speed and low usage, which resulted in some stuttering while at idle.
With madVR it's always sitting somewhere in between and plays video smoothly.

It probably also depends on what kind of encodes you're looking at though, I dunno.
>>
>>51545343
Ah, I didn't even think of tracking and such. Brought it inside since I don't want anyone stomping around my backyard. It's a parrot bebop drone which their site says does have a chip and tracking on it. Now I really don't know what to do with it, this is out of my field.

It's their red model, which has been covered with black duct tape presumably to not stick out much. I wonder if that fits in the meme laws.

I guess I'll just leave the battery off it for now, thanks for the reply.
>>
So /g/

Let's say I had the ROG Swift PG278Q (the holy grail of reasonably priced G-sync monitors), would you buy an R9 390 or a GTX 970 to go with it? I'm thinking about the 3GB memory shitstorm earlier this year.
>>
>>51545620
Yeah have fun with that, I was about to get a new skylake system with that card but my friend is selling me his 2700k system for a nice price, too bad it includes a 6990 lol.
>>
>>51545682
lol, I have two crossfire'd 5850's blasting right now!
>>
>>51545661
>>
>>51545708
Even when you're missing out on G-sync?
>>
>>51545759
If you want to make use of the technology, look into it. Decide if the investment is worth it.
>>
scrot -s '%Y-%m-%d_%T.png' -e 'mv "$f" /home/rev/Screenshots/'

How can I assign this to the PrintScreen button?
I am on XFCE and the "Settings -> Keyboard -> Application shortcuts" can't run this
>>
I can't find my graphics card. The computer doesn't show it. How do I find it?
>>
>>51545028
>>51545028
>>51545028

someone pls halp
>>
>>51545810
Is it properly plugged into the PCI Express slot in your motherboard? Are you using your GPU to display an image on your screen right now?
>>
File: AMD-Radeon-Crimson-Software.jpg (177 KB, 1024x601) Image search: [Google]
AMD-Radeon-Crimson-Software.jpg
177 KB, 1024x601
This piece of shit keeps crashing and won't let me select resolutions higher than 1080p. How do I revert back to CCC? Do I just uninstall it then install ccc or completely uninstall the drivers?
>>
>>51545890
I had the same issue. I had to boot in safe mode and then click advanced settings, this brings up ccc.
>>
I feel kinda stupid to ask this. How do I change the kernel in a distro? I've just compiled 4.40-rc2 but have no idea how to boot into it.
I've created a new config that supposedly should have an option to boot into it but there isn't.
And uname -a doesn't tell me that it's 4.4.0 either.
>>
>>51545399
Dunno, it's more like a standard for PSUs.
>>
>>51540760
that's a cute girl
>>
>>51540760
How do I return the last element of a singly linked list I manually programmed in Java using recursion?
The exercise says I have to use the current element of my list somehow..
>>
If I plug a VGA cable into my monitor but then I have to use a VGA -> DVI converter to plug the VGA cable into my GPU what is my screen displaying?

Is it showing VGA or DVI? This is confusing
>>
>>51545847
it should. It would show up before in my specs but now it just shows integrated graphics cards
>>
Does umatrix and ublock origin replace noscript/requestpolicy/adblock plus?
>>
>>51544141
I'll check it out. Thanks a ton.
>>
My monitor won't display anything. My computer is on but it won't show nothing.
>>
How do I stop Musicbee from playing videos in some folders? I don't want to move them.
>>
>>51547473
try swapping out the PSU
>>
>>51547473
upgrade your drivers and check for malware
>>
>>51546586
VGA.
>>
>>51547543
>>51547822
I tried displaying it on my tv and it doesn't show anything. It's on but nothing comes up. Is it possible that I deleted the display adapter or driver or something
>>
Is a 430W power supply okay for a GTX 970 with an i5 4670K? My power supply just died, and I happen to be getting my 970 this weekend, so need to get a replacement PSU fast. Don't have much money though.

It's a Seasonic one though. Just wondering if the wattage is enough.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00P7TLQF2/
>>
>>51545294
I'm sure no one cares, but the guy came to my door just now saying he lives on the street behind me and I gave it back. If I wasn't such a beta faggot I could have asked him why/how it went down since the battery didn't seem dead. Either crashed it into the garage or a malfunction, I guess.
>>
How hard is it to create a proxy server, but only for very specific ports and protocols?

I have a machine that has access to a service, but only this machine can access it. Is it possible to proxy those services and appear as if this machine is providing them?
>>
File: 1448498749031.gif (2 MB, 235x180) Image search: [Google]
1448498749031.gif
2 MB, 235x180
I just built a new computer with an new SSD as my hard drive today.
My BIOS recognizes that the SSD is there but when I use my Windows 7 USB boot, I get ---

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" or "A media driver your computer needs is missing" error message when you install Windows" error and Windows does not recognize my hard drive at all.

Out of curiosity I tried my Linux USB and while installing, Linux recognizing my SSD. Mind you the SSD is completely new.

What's wrong? I just want to install Wangblows but Wangblows tell me there's no hard drive
>>
Uuu
>>
>>51548589
nvm fixed
>>
File: 1448210301496.png (106 KB, 540x597) Image search: [Google]
1448210301496.png
106 KB, 540x597
I want to build a simple arch desktop but I wanna to play really shitty vidya here and there. Specifically the Sims 3 & 4 because I have no social life and need to live in a virtual one. What GPU should I get? What price range would I be looking at?
>>
>>51540760
What should I do with my RPi? It has no ethernet right now but I can get an ethernet usb dongle for cheap tomorrow if I have to.
>>
I keep getting that stupid fucking "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" message as of late, with the ~5 second lockup that comes with it. Frustrating as fuck, especially because its one of those error messages that just tells you somethings wrong as opposed to what is wrong. I've tried completely clean safe mode reinstalls of multiple drivers, tried diverting more power to the GPU and disabling vsync, still happening. Whats the chances I'm going to have to do a clean install of windows, and is that likely to even help? Is there some golden fix for this problem I've not been able to find?

Card is a Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 Ti.
>>
Anyone remember this one app?
>Media server app for Android
>Gave all your shows a square in a tile grid
>not available on Play Store, github or sf
>I think the name was one letter away from a jap word
>>
File: build.png (46 KB, 951x495) Image search: [Google]
build.png
46 KB, 951x495
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/YqVFvK

Hiya /g/entlemen
I would like to ask for some final adivce before purchasing all the parts.
The total price is:$1525.00

thanks
>>
Card could be failing. Try under-clocking it a little.
>>
online music making
>>
I'm looking for a good optical drive that I can use to install games for disc and read and write cds. Can anyone recommend?
>>
Are Kingston SSD reliable ?
>>
>>51553949
idk?
>>
File: 1448631813273.jpg (263 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448631813273.jpg
263 KB, 1920x1080
This might just be me being top retarded but

since I assume the fans have to be pointing up, this would mean the mobo is placed on the left side of the case's interior, right? But all the cases I've seen including the one I was going to buy have an air intake or a windows or stuff like that on the left side so how does this work? A GPU like pic related would have the output ports pointing to the front end instead of the back of the case if the mobo is on the right

Am I irredeemably stupid?
>>
>>51542027
give an actual representative block of file, instead of what you did. I'll probably be able to help
>>
>>51543912
RPi uses linux. linux has CRON you can literally do this in a couple of lines
>>
>>51555638
As far as i've had experience my cases all had air intake on the right, but it's a case by case basis.
GPU doesn't need to be pointed up, it needs to be pointed in such a way to help airflow.
I assume that you're going off of the fact that hot air rises (for pointing the fans up)?
if so, this factor won't be anywhere near as prevalent as covering the side holes.
>>
sup /sqt/,

I have an HP tablet that has windows and android as bootable OSes so you can dual-boot. I want to format everything with a clean boot-loader and install android only. How do I achieve this?
>>
>>51556906
This is different for different hardware.
Is this x86(_64_ or arm?
Do you have a BIOS or (U)EFI?
Can you edit (U)EFI entries?
>>
>>51557083
I... don't know. Can you give an article that deals with these in the context of formatting and installing a single operating system?
>>
Does this work with Windows 10?

http://www.amazon.de/TP-Link-TL-WN881ND-Adapter-300Mbit-geeignet/dp/B006BSPTAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448644038&sr=8-1&keywords=wifi+pcie
>>
Why on Earth does it cost $600 to add a standard 512GB SSD to a thinkpad t450s..

Best option just get the base HDD and upgrade it myself immediately?
>>
What are the best and most important hardware monitoring programs?

I want to monitor
>Fans (CPU, case, GPU)
>CPU ("health", heat, CPU fan, ghz/clock/memory rates)
>GPU(health", heat, GPU fan, ghz/clock/memory rates)
>Monitor my watercooling (GPU, CPU both have watercooling)

>Hard drive/SSD health/heat etc.
I use HDD Guardian for now.

>Boot time(s)
If possible? How long does it take, the processor usage etc.

>Internet traffic.
What goes in, what goes out, who wants to phone home behind my back.

Preferrably simple, lightweight programs like HDD guardians which can test the equipment too - like HDD guardians tests hard drives with their own firmware.

I would particularly like if I could test the hardware somehow.
>>
File: Getac 500 Server.jpg (394 KB, 2032x1418) Image search: [Google]
Getac 500 Server.jpg
394 KB, 2032x1418
>>51541671
Generally speaking, yes but not all the time.

>>51543273
IMHO go for designated NAS drives. You can save money by buying WD Greens, but it's your data that's at risk.

>>51543912
With transmission, you can configure the whole thing with a GUI, no CLI needed.

>>51544101
Pic related.

>>51544607
Yes. CPU as well.

>>51547473
Use SSH to access your computer via CLI and help diagnose the problem.

>>51549407
Nvidia. I'd go for a sub $200 card.

>>51557294
>Best option just get the base HDD and upgrade it myself immediately?
Yes.
>>
Does an a SDD performance reduces as its health drops?

Or what does the health drop affects?
>>
>>51558597

"Health" means how close the drive is to running out of write cycles and becoming read-only
>>
>>51540760
Weebs gb2 /a/
>>
>>51558651
So its just a counter for writes left, irrelevant to performance or actual health of a SSD?
>>
>>51558696

ya
>>
>>51557579
Alright, if that's the case, I've got another question (me: >>51557294 )

I was initially planning on getting the 8GB trim, because I assume the additional 4GB is the same sodimm as the one they solder in and I'm not a big fan of mixing ram. seeing as the extra 4GB is fucking $80 more, If I'm upgrading it anyway I'd rather just get my own sodimm and pop it in while I'm at it.

Am I going to experience instability if I end up getting a non-matching sodimm? I've experienced it before but it was quite a few years ago, not sure if it's still an issue to be worried about.
>>
>>51558721
I see, thanks.
>>
Poorfag here, building a new PC for some light gayming, parts are expensive here in the 3rd world so, with the help of logical increments, I narrowed it down to:

i3 4160
R7 370 or GTX 750Ti (yeah, I know maybe a GTX 950)

Now I'm really undecided on the mobo, I'm not exactly sure what should I look for besides the LGA1150.

WAT DO?
>>
I want to know if my boss is spying on me, what are some popular spying/employee monitoring tools used on OSX and how can I detect them? I checked the activity monitor and didn't see anything immediately obvious.
>>
My arduino is sending the char 'T' over bluetooth to my raspi. My python script reads this as an á, but if I screen /dev/rfcomm0, it reads a correct T. What am I doing wrong? Should I decode something?
>>
>>51561679
It's to do with character encoding, your python script uses something other than your raspi.
>>
just bought this, how bad did I fuck up?
>>
>>51561821
Yeah, thought as much, messing around with .decode after reading on my raspi, but I ain't getting much results nor am I finding alot on the web.
>>
>>51561917
bluetooth low energy?
how are you reading it ? A characteristic? Advertisement data? There can be other stuff in the sent data as well and the data can be padded etc.
Try manually stepping the code to see what actually is happening.
>>
>>51561983
Arduino has a generic HC-06, and raspi a generic bluetooth module that seems to be running 4.0.
I don't do much python except for the ocassional script, so bear with me.

I read it like this:
while True:
if BluetoothSerial1.inWaiting() > 0:
x=BluetoothSerial1.read()
print x
print repr(x)

It clearly shows me that I receive \xe1 according to python, and this is the only thing it receives, so I assume padding is not at play here.
And still screen reads it as a T.
I assume I just have to use .decode() after reading, but I have no clue to what.
>>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-14-Laptop-PC-i7-3667U-240GB-SSD-8GB-RAM-Windows-7-Pro-/172003278294?hash=item280c31bdd6:g:4YkAAOSwT4lWTPgF

Worth?
>>
I'm gonna put pfsense on a spare machine and make it my router, using my old wireless router as an access point attached to it. I've read a bunch of guides and I think I got this, but I'm curious if anyone else who's fucked around with pfsense has any pitfalls or gotchas I oughta know before do that?
>>
What laptop brands to avoid or look after ? Need to find a laptop for my father, so no gaming shit
>>
>>51562917
depends on what you want to do with it, and what os you plan to use, some laptops like the toshiba satellites aren't terribly linux friendly
>>
>>51561910
>buying shit you can get/learn for free. and I'm not even talking about pirating, but legit stuff like open course ware
>>
Got a new screen with better resolution for my laptop and I think it's defective.

I can clearly see vertical bars during boot. If I look at it from above, a black smudge is visible in black backgrounds. When I turn the brightness all the way down the screen goes completely dark. The colors seem washed-out, specially yellow.

Any ideas?
>>
>>51563164
Laptop is for father, light internet browsing, a little bit of microshaft office and shit, only windows, no dedicated GPU, and he's going to write it off as bussiness expense or some shit, so if I understand correctly, price is not a barrier, so basically best processor, lots of ram, no dedicated GPU, long battery life, IPS screen and shit, I want it to last for fucking ever
Never really been into laptops so don't know anything about brands except that HP is dogshit
>>
>>51562917
avoid lenovo
>>
>>51563249
>not doing much but price is no barrier
in that case I'd recommend and hp elitebook or some other business grade laptop, it might be a bit overkill on the specs but business grade tends to last a long time compared to how quickly a lot of consumer grade laptops just fall apart or otherwise fail
>>
>>51540760
weebs gb2/a/. sage all weebposts
>>
>>51563292
I've heard that hp is like the worst brand for laptops, is their high end series better than basic consumer grade or what? Also how good is the logicalincrements on laptop recommendations? Not very much on there, considering a metric fuckton of laptops exist, but maybe they're objectively the best
>>
Got a question for you guys, im not great with pcs..
i got gtx 970 and i3 3240, i know for certain that 970 should be able to run most game on high (not ultra) settings with good fps and yet it doesnt, the question is - is my cpu crippling my gpu?
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-27+at+11.18.19).png (60 KB, 1936x1066) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-27+at+11.18.19).png
60 KB, 1936x1066
>>51560514
Yes it has a .cue file as well. File plays just fine.

So I should transcode into flac?

Isn't there a way to have the file display and play correctly otherwise? I had it working once upon a time.
>>
Looking for a good mid or full sized case for my micro atx computer. Any ideas for a case with good airflow?
>>
>>51563670
>mid or full sized case
>micro atx
why
>>
>>51563765
It's very tightly packed in the case it's in right now. Airflow a shit
>>
>>51563782
so get a non-shit micro atx case and do proper cable management
>>
>>51563797
OK then, any recommendations?
>>
>>51563807
Fractal design define mini
>>
Will look into, thanks
>>
How do I run Gentoo and get a gf?
>>
>>51563243
Bumping this before I email the seller.

Could the screen be incompatible? Maybe the voltage?
>>
C++ question. Trying to replace an underscore character in a string with a space. So far I have:

string s = "New_York";
size_t pos = s.find('_');
s.replace(pos, 1, ' ');

Which throws up the error message

error: invalid conversion from 'char' to 'const char*' [-fpermissive]

How do I get it to run successfully?
>>
>>51540760
I bought this laptop
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SJ2G7UI
Did I fuck up?
>>
>>51564011
Just guessing: replace ' ' with " " .
>>
>>51564011
Change ' ' by " " nigger
>>
>>51564017
>Edge
Yes. I mean, an Edge for the lowest possible price is better than notebooks in the same price range, but for that price you could probably get a T somewhere.
>>
>>51564017
>>51564119
After a second look, I got to say the specs are pretty good. Build quality is lower, but whatever, have fun.
>>
sound out of my fiio e6 and any headphone from a laptop makes the bass crinkly / distorted, what could be wrong?
>>
>>51564190
>>51564119
Alright, thank you.
I realize I probably could've gotten something cheaper off of eBay, but I was limited to Amazon for this purchase.
The specs looked decent, and I couldn't find a better laptop with decent quality within the same price range, so I went with it.
>Build quality is lower
I was aware of that, but I took my chances. I knew that the Edge line didn't have the same quality compared to the other thinkpad lines, but I'm guessing it's still higher of higher quality than what other manufacturers are shitting out.
>>
>>51564277
>but I'm guessing it's still higher of higher quality
*but I'm guessing it's still of higher quality
>>
Having trouble with Cat6a compatibility. Needed a long outdoor cable to join two separate networks together across a long distance. I bought http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0040Y1P7E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Works fine from router (TD-W8970) to my desktop (MSI Gaming 5), doesn't work between the router and when connecting to my laptop/TL-SF1005D switch/TL-SG105 switch/TL-WR702N router, it just doesn't recognise any cable being patched in.
>>
>move computer
>neither VGA or DVI send video to the monitor anymore
WTF
HELP
>>
>>51564381
reseat video card?
>>
Two days ago I got the new windows 10 update. Ever since then I haven't been able to connect to my router, my drivers are up to date and my router has the latest firmware. Can someone please help me with this? My router is a netgear ac1200
>>
File: wdc wd1600hlfs-75g6u0.png (76 KB, 664x671) Image search: [Google]
wdc wd1600hlfs-75g6u0.png
76 KB, 664x671
I pulled this from an old computer

something inside clicks when I rotate it slowly 180 degrees vertically.

Is it safe?

Thank you for your time.
>>
>>51564074
>>51564077
Cheers nignogs
>>
>>51563389
Figured it out.

Changing .cue from being under 'Exclude' and to 'Restrict to' seemed to do whatever black magic that was necessary.
>>
Is this legit?
Price seems too good for the performance.
Tweaktown was getting 90r/35w.
>>
I'm thinking about getting a sager laptop. I read generally good things about Clevo, but I'm having a hard time finding any reviews for this stuff.
What do?
>>
File: 1436804571945.gif (529 KB, 500x393) Image search: [Google]
1436804571945.gif
529 KB, 500x393
>mfw 900 Series price drop
I've already got a ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 and i'm considering picking up another for SLI and 1440p G-Sync. What PSU is recommended for SLI? I've got a
Asus Z97-A ATX mobo and Corsair CX 600W PSU. How bad is this microstutter thing? Never experienced it or having a dual GPU setup before.
>>
File: 1445066929122.webm (1 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1445066929122.webm
1 MB, 640x640
Is this a possible scenario?
>have 1 powerful PC
>have 1 laptop
>connect PC to router with ethernet cable
>connect laptop to router with wifi
>somehow make the PC display "stream" on laptop, but all the laptop input goes to PC

How do I do this? What programs?
>>
So I want to set up an image gallery of sorts, for personal private use.
I want to be able to tag images so that I can run searches to find very specific images when I need/want them.

Need either a Windows based software solution, or a Linux based website-style solution. Halp?
>>
>>51564626
well it is dealextreme, not dealmediocre but yeah, the price is right for the time of year

>>51564805
it is possible but don't be expecting to play games using the laptop to control the desktop cause it'll lag like hell

>>51564821
pretty sure picassa can do exactly what you want m8
>>
hey, I know this is a little off topic but is there a way to convert mp3s in bulk to flac and have them keep all the tags?

I tried to do it on LameXP and it erases all the tags.

thanks
>>
>>51564844
Picasa looks great thanks!
>>
>>51564922
You gain nothing converting from mp3 to flac.

>>51564844
>the price is right for the time of the year

Meaning if I wait it'll be more expensive?

I'm a little new to buying online...
>>
>>51565028
you may see a better deal monday, after that things will pretty much be in a holding pattern, till just before christmans when they'll start going back up
>>
I have a tv w/ busted screen, want to use the TV's speakers during party.

Is there any way I can get windows to not display the screen but still use audio if the tv and laptop are connected via hdmi? Setting windows to only display on my laptop also turns off the audio.
>>
>>51565129
why not use an audio patch cable? doesn't your tv have an audio in jack?
>>
Best alternative to a mousepad?

Also if anyone knows anything about fixing broken office chairs i'd be thankful (whenever i sit down, it sinks. Dosen't hold the pressure)
>>
$270 Seagate 8TB external
vs
$290 WD 6TB Red??

Keep in mind I wanna do a RAID1 setup

http://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-Desktop-External-Storage-STDT8000100/dp/B00R45V3SW/ref=pd_cp_147_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1QHSFFXK8S1YPPTS492P
http://www.amazon.ca/Western-Digital-3-5-inch-IntelliPower-WD60EFRX/dp/B00LO3KR96/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1448672802&sr=1-2&keywords=western+digital+6tb
>>
>>51565369
the cylinder in your chair has a broken gasket, it's not really something your average person is capable of fixing, either learn to live with it or get a new chair while prices are lower
>>
>>51565408
I'll sit on a dictionary
>now this is hacking
>>
>>51563386
>>51563386
anyone?
>>
Is this budget pc capable of running two monitors?
http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/JWfrxr/500-bang-for-buck-pc-build-intel-i3-4170r9-380
>>
>>51565597
yes yer cpu is most likely the bottleneck, but how much ram u got?

>>51565618
>vidya card
should be able to, but look up the spec on the card anyway
>>
>>51565644
is the power source or over heating going to be an issue if i have a second monitor?
>>
>>51565644
8gb, another question, if i simply replace my cpu with a better one will my pc just keep working like normal or is it gonna freak out because i changed a part?
>>
>>51565618
Pretty much anything can run two monitors nowadays
>>
>>51565684
Should be fine to just pop in another CPU
Windows generally only freaks out if you swap motherboards.
>>
>>51565379
help?
>>
>>51565666
monitors are self powered so there's really no extra power draw, beyone what the card is alredy capable of drawing and over heating shouldn't be a problem either, but like I said look up the card and check out the reviews on it, especially the number and type of bad review

>>51565684
windows may or may not freak out over the hardware change, but even if it doesn't freak out, you should back shit up and do a clean install if you want to get the most out of the cpu
>>
>>51565716
alright, thanks alot
>>
If I upgrade my Mobo/CPU I can keep all my old RAM right?
>>
>>51565741
CPU: yes
Motherboard: depends on the change
>>
Has anyone here got youtube-dl or ffmpeg installed on android? python always gives me errors for youtube-dl

>>51542331
install f-droid for free software. I also think aptoide or something has some proprietary apks.
>>
>>51565741
if changing the mobo, then you want to make sure it supports the type of ram you have
>>
>>51565781
>>51565753
Ok, thanks, I'll be sure to verify that before buying then. Though RAM is cheap enough, but I'd still feel kind of sad chucking 12GB of perfectly good RAM into the garbage
>>
>>51564821
Hydrus?
https://github.com/hydrusnetwork/hydrus
>>
>>51565791
why would you toss it instead of selling on craigslist or something?
>>
>>51565880
Do people buy used RAM? I've sold higher dollar stuff like old mobo/GPU on ebay with some success but not tried selling used RAM before.
>>
>>51565898
Would you buy a used condom?
>>
>>51565898
as long as it fits their mobo and it's cheaper than new, and works then yeah, just be sure to list ddr 1/2/3/ and pin type
>>
>>51565898
Also what to do for packaging it? Just wrap separately in anti-static bubble and tape the bundles together or something?

Also how to package a loose CPU to prevent damage? My old CPU is 6-7 years old and I don't have the packaging anymore
>>
If I want to rice my Linux system, do I need to refrain from installing a Desktop Environment, or can I use one at first and uninstall it, piece by piece, later?
>>
>>51541400
Not the other anon.

But yes any motherboard will be fine as long as you dont modify the voltage unless it's specified it can handle that but even then I wouldn't touch OC and sli if the mobo is under 100.

Btw to check if your card fits in check your gpu's lenght and your case's space.
>>
File: 1424138845119.jpg (15 KB, 304x304) Image search: [Google]
1424138845119.jpg
15 KB, 304x304
Coffee is technology etc. etc.

Is this good? 50 buckaroons off today so now 200 instead of 250.

I need something easy like this since no stovetop in the dorm for moka pot and neither can I deal with all the mess and space needed for a manual grind setup.
>>
My monitor has an sRGB mode. Should I be using that?
>>
>>51566298
it's a gimmick

Get a decent percolator.
>>
I just got a 64GB sd card for my ZTE and it says the capacity isn't supported,
I tried formatting it like the tutorials tell me to, didn't work.
Will splitting it into two partitions work?
Anyone have experience with this?
>>
is there really any good free antivirus? I use ccleaner weekly and I'm not fucking retarded online, so I typically don't use any antivirus and keep my computer fairly clean, but are there any worth using?
>inb4 common sense
>>
>>51566464
...like?
>>
Under normal circumstances, yes. Since you had to ask this question, no.
>>
>>51566298
Get a french press and buy ground coffee. You should have a kettle.
>>
>>51566298
>>51566679
This, my friend stopped using his full priced Keurig after he tried my french press
>>
>used to have a data jack
>move
>literally forgot what a ping spike felt like
>now i get them every 5 minutes
is it time to give up online games
>>
>>51565944
don't you have the packaging the new cpu came in? just take a sharpie or something and clearly label it so there's no one thinking you're trying to swindle em

>>51566011
use a de for your daily driver, but also have something like openbox installed, and when you feel like working on it, just log out choose the openbox session from the session chooser and log back in, and work on ricing it, till you've got it to where you like it and wouldn't mind usiing it all the time
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-G226HQL-Bbd-21-5-inch-Widescreen/dp/B009POS0GS

Worth it? Just want something to use to watch videos or something while DMing in CS:GO.
>>
File: chuck.png (183 KB, 290x336) Image search: [Google]
chuck.png
183 KB, 290x336
I have a hard drive that is going to be getting SATA power, but I need a SATA to USB 3 adapter without the SATA power connection, just data. Am I stupid or does that not exist?

>>51566526
Avira, it's light on your system and actually does it's job. It can also be configured to never show any signs of it's existence, no popups whatsoever, making it great for less computer-friendly relatives.
>>
>>51566526
it's also never a bad idea to run adwcleaner every now and then in addition to ccleaner.
>>
What's the best laptop that won't make me look like an autist? Something reasonably thin with high build quality, doesn't need to play games, don't want any obnoxious logos.
>>
I need a new mouse and have been looking at the different Zowie mouses, which one to get?

They also seem to have extra buttons on both sides of the mouse since they are ambidextrous, is it possible to use the buttons on both sides at the same time for different uses making it a 7 button mouse?
>>
>>51567130
XPS 15
>>
>>51566734
>>51566679
How do you go about the daily cleaning of your French press with a shitty little dorm sink?

Pretty much the main obstacle.
>>
>>51567245
Really? I just can't bring myself to accept that dell isn't complete shit.
>>
>>51567014
I can try that, assumed the old CPU might not fit in the new packaging since it's a different socket
>>
>>51567684
it should fit no problem
>>
I've got this burning question that I doubt I can get a real answer for...

It's something I used to know but chose to forget, like it should seem obvious, like common sense, but I'm doubting myself so hard right now:

Why is it preferable to use native library API calls versus shelling out to command line utilities that do the same thing and parsing their (admitedly arbitrary and non-standardized) output streams to get the information using exit codes to determine if they succeeded or not?
e.g.

(I'll use go as pseudocode, but this applies to any language)

why use:
import "github.com/example/some_library"
func main() {
some_data_i_want, err := some_library.Call()
// ...
}

instead of
import "os/exec"
func main() {
cmd := exec.Command("sh", "-c", "some_executable_which_does_what_some_library_does --with-some-flags --or-something and_maybe_an_input_file")
some_data_i_want, err := cmd.CombinedOutput()
// ...
}

I say this in the context of creating a wrapper around one native library which is written in one language in order to use it in another language.

...When I've recently discovered there already exist several command line tool binaries which can do everything the native library does but would require a bit of additional processing in order to format arguments correctly and parse output as well as error handling...

Is it a matter of convenience? Performance? Security? What am I forgetting why is shelling out to binaries and using regex to extract the results seemingly not as common as using some library in code? I'm tearing my hair out over here.

Maybe I'm just shaving a yak in a bikeshed as I think too much about things that don't matter.

Why would you choose a library over a binary if you had a choice?
>>
Where is there a link to Clover Material design app?

I can't seem to find it
>>
>>51567671
Dell isn't that shit if you pay their premium for 'business' laptops.
>>
>>51567830
XPS 15 isn't a business laptop.
I've had a latitude. PoS and I hated it.
>>
>>51547511
.nomedia
>>
What's the bare minimum isopropyl alcohol percentage to wipe thermal paste from a CPU safely? I've used 91 in the past, but I'm not sure if I just got lucky.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.