[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: 8JDsUC3.jpg (59 KB, 960x897) Image search: [Google]
8JDsUC3.jpg
59 KB, 960x897
Prev: >>52004582

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU/Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://gitgud.io/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
>>52023195
Anyone? And is it even worth resizing my partitions if it only means more time will pass before it gets filled up again? Is there no automatic cleaning function for this?2
>>
Alright /flt/, I'm kind of at a loss for what to do.

Trying to install grub2 for UEFI on Gentoo, but no matter what I try, it always drops me at a grub rescue shell when I try and boot the machine. What gives? I formatted the /boot as fat32, followed all the UEFI specifics for the gentoo handbook, ran the export grub platform for EFI, did the install on sda, did mkconfig and then rebooted, and then it's still fucking me.

Also, the efibootmgr isn't working because EFU variables are somehow not supported.

>inb4 install gentoo
It's installed, it's the bootloader that's fucking me
>>
so i have samba running messed with the config file thanks to some tutorials but windows still won't let me connect saying that i don't have permission even though i have guest enabled on the share
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 2448x2448
I recently installed openSUSE 42.1 leap, but it won't recognize my Ethernet. Anyway around this?
>>
>>52023473
>grub

What are you gay

>install yarout
>>
>>52023520
>install gentoo
>>
>>52023429
Purge not used kernels, if you don't know how to that manually(it's not that hard), I think ubuntu had a package called "bikeshed"(aptly named IMO), it should contain a script called "purge-old-kernels".

You can also do this
sudo apt-get purge $(for tag in "linux-image" "linux-headers"; do dpkg-query -W -f'${Package}\n' "$tag-[0-9]*.[0-9]*.[0-9]*" | sort -V | awk 'index($0,c){exit} //' c=$(uname -r | cut -d- -f1,2); done)

though I'd just remove them manually, you know learning and all that.

You want to remove linux-image* and linux-header* packages that are older then your current kernel, keep the last one just in case.
dpkg --list | grep 'linux-image' 
dpkg --list | grep 'linux-headers'

To see installed kernel packages.

uname -r 

to see current kernel version.

Now it's just a matter of
apt-get purge [the package]

the ones you don't need.

Just don't remove the kernel you are using, duh!
>>
>>52023473
Did you follow:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Default:_Using_GRUB2 ?

It sounds like you most likely haven't made a GRUB2 config properly.
>>
>>52023560
so i can have even more problems. I'd rather not
>>
File: 1447595597144.png (106 KB, 749x573) Image search: [Google]
1447595597144.png
106 KB, 749x573
Reminder that Manjaro isn't good for security.

http://allanmcrae.com/2013/01/manjaro-linux-ignoring-security-for-stability/
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 640x1136
>>52023634
Fuck off shill Manjaro is fine.
>>
>>52023634
>That means, Manjaro users are vulnerable to security bugs for around a month after Arch users are safe, unless of course the Manjaro Core Team monitors every package and pushes those with security fixes. How many packages in a distribution? Arch Linux has >6000 in its binary repositories. I suppose it is not impossible to monitor that many packages, unless of course your Core Team consists of three people. And given those three people provide five variants of their installation ISO (net install, XFCE, KDE, Cinnamon, MATE – with OpenBox and E17 on the way…) and provide a series of kernel packages and systemd… Things are looking bleak.

time to move then.
>>
I just left xfce for gnome on arch and now my display manager is gone. What do /g/?
>>
>>52023675
install a display manager
>>
>>52023675
What display manager do you use?
>>
>>52023652
>Manjaro
>fine
>fact that the packages have security issues
lol
>>
>>52023699
>installing unsecure packages

What are you gay
>>
>>52023712
>literally ALL the packages are insecure
have you read the article?
>>
>>52023731
No they are not. I dual boot Manjaro it is fine.
>>
I installed Mint on an old desktop to use as a torrent box but now it won't boot. When I installed it, it didnt recognize the keyboard either

help
>>
>>52023780
Yep. You didn't read the article you piece of shit.
>>
>>52023622
I followed that. And I the grub shell comes back saying that /boot has an unknown filesystem. Was I rused the whole time and not actually needing to format /boot with FAT? (neither FAT16 or FAT32 worked)
>>
How do I update my ubuntu Kernel, and should I?
>>
>>52023928
sudo apt-get install update
>>
>>52023928
AH YOU DUMMY
IN FSTAB YOU PUT THE FILESYSTEM DOWN AS VFAT
NOT FAT32
MAKE SURE YOU EMERGE dos-fs/dosfstools TOO!
>>
>>52023960
It's updated like other packages, so you should have the latest Ubuntu offers.
You can run a more recent mainline kernel if you so wish.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds
>>
>>52024013
Thanks, that link really helps.
>>
So i'm running Xubuntu 15.10 on my laptop and just installed all the repositories for KXStudio. Do i need to install and run kxstudio-welcome to activate some necessary tweaks or can i skip that? Last time i did that i got into a boot loop for some reason and had to reinstall Xubuntu.
>>
>>52023687
Lxdm
>>
>>52024503
install gdm to go along with the whole gnome setup
>>
File: eggplants.jpg (771 KB, 1000x944) Image search: [Google]
eggplants.jpg
771 KB, 1000x944
Slackware or salix.. or something else?

I'm on a laptop and it has decent specs (t440p) i'm mainly going to be using it for school and i need something blazing fast, mostly minimal, and simple to use. I have used arch and fedora in the past and as much as i like them i want to try a slack based distro. I'll probably be using openbox or wmutils with wicd and lemonbar. Any advice, is slackware the way to go?
>>
>>52024522
OK. Maybe that's what I'm missing
>>
>>52024531
if you want speed and slackware, then consider puppy slacko, it's the slackware based version of puppy
>>
>>52023532
Install non free drivers for you ethernet.

Opensuse rather keeps away from non free. They almost developed most drivers them selves
>>
>>52024001
I emerged the sys-kernel/dosfstools or whatever it's called. I don't remember, and fstab has it as vfat, but last time I did mkfs, vfat defaulted to fat32 and I had to mkfs.vfat -f 32 to get it to fat32. Is there anything else I can do?
>>
samba guy back again. I deleted the conf file from /etc/ and reinstalled but the file is empty now. Did i fuck up hard
>>
clearing name field
>>
>>52024566
neat, can i still use slackware's package manager and everything that normal slackware has?
>>
>>52024572
I just installed Manjaro I had a usb thanks though
>>
>>52024557
yeah if you removed xfce when you switched then lxdm probably got removed as well. any dm should work with any de/wm but you want to use whatever the included or reccomended display manager is, for consistencies sake. also now that you're on gnome, grape the coverflw shell extension, it makes it purty when you switch windows with alt +t tab

>>52024592
it's been awhile since I've used it but I think it either uses gslapt or has it available
>>
>>52024638
See >>52023634
>>
File: unsorted 005.jpg (83 KB, 620x681) Image search: [Google]
unsorted 005.jpg
83 KB, 620x681
>>52024531
Is there a reason people still use slackware? can it even be used on a laptop withought too much tweaking?
>>
>>52024873
Most people use the "full" installation of slackware, it means a complete system.
It's just a one guy running Linux and providing that goodness to others unadulterated.

No, there is no real reason to use it, unless you really like vanilla configs.
>>
>be archfag for a few years
>decide to install gentoo
>can't boot minimall install usb
>can't boot admincd usb
>can't boot sysrescuecd
>decide to install it from based arch usb
>do install
>reboot
>kernel panic
>evrytim
>>
so is there anywhere to get the numix gtk themes without paying?
>>
>>52024873
I use it on my x230 and it works fine
>>
How much of a benefit to performance does a "lightweight" distro offer? I'm going to install on a brand new computer so it could run whatever, but I don't know how significant the extra resources would be while when running games and the like.
>>
>>52025537
>install gentoo like some retarded archfag
>init can't find your root fs
You wouldn't have these issues if you learned how to fucking install linux correctly.
>>
what terminal emulators do you guys use
>>
>>52025581
aur
>>
>>52025751
urxvt
>>
Please help.

During my installation of Debian I didn't choose the option to encrypt my drives. However, now I would like to encrypt them. Can I do this without installing the OS again, and allow me to enter a password at boot?
>>
>>52025995
Yeah. Just make encrypted partitions and move all your shit over.
>>
>>52023402
so /flt/

I used to enjoy linux, it was a fun hobby OS on my old dell laptop.

Then I upgraded to a lenovo y510p and couldn't install linux on it. Kinda sucked, but I had windows, so whatever. I'm finally in the mood to try again, but I'm pretty sure I still can't install linux on this laptop, has anybody had any success?
>>
>>52023634
>that one angry kid who uses antergos
>>
>>52026342
Dude, Allan McRae is a member of Arch Linux development team.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 558x580) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 558x580
Hey, I'm in the process of installing Gentoo, following this guide:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki%27s_EFI_Install_Guide#Chapters

I've made it to the point where I ran emerge --ask --verbose @system.

I'm using the hardened kernel, and installed Gcc from the hardened sources and such.

My root file system is mounted write-protected. I can't do jack shit in the way of configuring my system anymore and it's not close to finished; I only made it halfway through I think chapter 7 of that guide.

No command I execute seems to make a dent in the write-protect. I'm still in the livecd, chrooted into the future / of my Gentoo install.

In etc/fstab, it says /dev/ROOT is mounted to / while the actual root partition is dev/mapper/vg1-root. Same with swap, just, y'know, with swap instead of root. Home isn't even mentioned.

I can't edit fstab because it's fucking read-only, and I feel like it might be the key to this.

Anyone have any clue what to do?
>>
>>52023520
post your config file
>>
>>52026769
Additionally, when I run lsblk, sda does not appear, instead sdc is in its place. I got no idea why.
>>
>>52024531
Slackware is always the fucking answer. ALWAYS.
>>
>>52026769
Are you dual booting, if not just use bios.. it's much easier.
>>
I'm finding myself able to do all of my work from the command line now.
My workflow is basically tmux sessions that I ssh into; I can leave, then come back later and re-attach the session to pick up where i left off. Very nice.

Anyone here not really using gui stuff anymore? Or is that dumb?

I've been meaning to set up my server with rsync so i don't have to ssh into it anymore
>>
>>52026883
The only reasson i even have a gui is for firefox and movies. if i could do that in tty1 i would remove x.
>>
>>52026845
Isn't bios incompatible with hard drives > 2TB?

No I'm not dual-booting, I just thought UEFI was the way to go.
>>
>>52026914
I'm not sure but i remeber something about that. but you should probably do some reasearch on uefi and large disks. Though i'm an arch baby and i installed gentoo with bios easily.
>>
>>52026883
as much as i like vim i just love using ide's too much
>>
>>52023532
Install Xubuntu like a sensible person. Never had any issue with drivers with the exception of Mediatek Bluetooth adapters.
>>
>>52026939
vim is a fucking IDE.
>>
Man, installing and getting Gentoo set up is no joke
Arch could have never prepared me for this
>>
>>52027012
no fuck off no matter how much you configure it you still end up going to an actual ide for any debugging
>>
>>52027211
Shut up you manjaro and sublime shill. Both vim and emacs are fully functional IDE.
>>
>>52027239
>emacs
>2015

Jesus christ
>>
>>52027255
>not using an environment that has been tested and proved stable for fucking 20 years and instead using buggy environment
>>
>>52027239
I use neither manjaro or sublime
>both vim and emacs are fully functional
vim lacks functionality of full IDE's no matter how much you twist and turn it, no idea about emacs used that for literally less than 10min in my life

sticking to IDE + vim plugin for my coding unless it's .tex or someshit
>>
>>52027321
Well, Stallman uses Emacs to develop, test, compile and release all GNU software.
>>
>>52027343
and hurd is utter shit
>>
>>52027363
Yeah, but you are using GNU software exactly right now.
>>
>>52027374
no I'm not, I'm on windows and not everything open source is gnu despite what richard would have you believe. stallman is nothing more than a glory hound hippie
>>
>>52027343
Let's be fair, Stallman does a lot of things most of us don't. But seriously, I'm not saying VIM is bad or insufficient, it just lacks some features of full IDE's.
>>
>>52027239
>Both vim and emacs are fully functional IDE.

You have no idea what an IDE is.
>>
On a new Arch install and trying to fix some issues with sound. I had alsa configured to use my nvidia GPU for (HDMI) sound and it worked, except games from Steam didn't play any sound - even after removing the alsa-libs folder and libasound.so.* files (per wiki). So, I installed pulseaudio, also per wiki, and then sound worked.

But _now_, whenever I resume from suspend, sound is no longer working. So far, I've tried the /usr/bin/pasuspender /bin/true and that did not help.

Anyone else have this problem?
>>
>>52027386
>what is GNU bash
>what is GNU Xorg, which is used by Windows in secret
>what is GNU Firefox
>what is GNU Chromium
>what is GNU NT, which you use
>>
>>52027394
Laptop/Desktop?
>>
>>52027390
Like what features?
>>
>>52027402
but those things aren't gnu, I don't know why richard insists on trying to take credit for shit he didn't do then turn around and go out of his way to make clear that anything proprietary does not have his approval and shouldn't be considered gnu, but should still be called gnu
>>
>>52027410
Desktop.
>>
>>52027422
They are GNU. Everything is GNU. Even your laptop has GNU.
>>
>>52027402
This is why I use the term Linux. Not "GNU with Linux added" like a shithead piece of shit named Topcuck420 who tried to hijack /flt/
>>
>>52027462
your mom is gnu!
>>
>>52027440
Just tried killing and restarting pulseaudio with more verbose output.

>[alsa-sink-HDMI 1] alsa-sink.c: Device suspended...

Not sure what to do about this yet, hgnhng. Still looking around.
>>
>>52027476
So is your dad.
>>
>>52027413
>refactoring
>anything relating to importing
>autocompletion (IIRC VIM was lacking a bit here compared to IDE's)
>getting scrollable list of class methods by just typing Class.
>error check before even compiling
>debugging largely automated
Few examples, again, nothing you can't do without it's just nice to have. Also don't need to switch window focus to compile, can just compile+run from the IDE. This saves a millisecond at least but more importantly it's less key presses.
>>
>>52027521
I gnued your dad last night
>>
>>52027525
>what is plugins
>>
>>52027542
If you can manage to build VIM to act as a full IDE with plugins please upload it because I want it
>>
>>52027525
GNU Emacs can do this. Which is why I posted this post in GNU 4chan website through GNU Browser inside GNU Emacs with GNU Linux kernel.
>>
>>52027525
Vim can more than you think it can

Also:
>debugging largely automated
What are you talking about, breakpoints?
>>
>>52027557
As mentioned I don't know shit about Emacs.
>>52027571
Getting "boy you fucked up" as I code when it's not syntax related and shit like
>error compiling
>in line ###
>which called line ###
>....
>...
>which called line ###
where ### are clickable links in the IDE which takes me directly to the line in question.
>>
>>52027605
That's not automated at all
>>
>install arch linux
>too autistic to make openbox look pretty and manually modify tint2
>now moving to bunsenlabs
>>
Jesus Christ, going with Debian Stretch is miles better than Jessie on the UX305. I can actually move windows in xfce and not have massive slowdowns. Tearing is still there though so Compton should fix it, right? What about tearing in something like mpv? Is it Vsync not doing shit?
>>
>>52025581
Github

>Emacs vs vim war still exists
>people still don't realize there is evilmode
>>
>>52025751
st

https://github.com/wd0/configs/blob/master/st/config.h
>>
>>52027881
Install compton and run it with the right flags on startup. Don't need a custom config if you do that. Fixes all tearing. And vsync in mpv does something but you won't realize that until you use compton.
>>
I really like the tools kali has but the GUI is bloated as fuck, I want to use it as my main OS so I can learn how to be a faggot and further my knowledge of 'hacking'..
What should I do? Is there anything wrong with using kali?
>>
>>52028024
Use BlackArch.
>>
>>52028024
Kali's not meant to be run as a daily driver. Don't use it as one. Keep it in a virtual machine where it belongs.
>>
whats the easiest way to run an arch based system? ive installed arch on my laptop before, and a while back I ran manjaro on the desktop. I'd like to switch back to an arch based system on my desktop but I dont know which way is best to go. Manjaro isn't what im looking for necessarily but just works, antergos is a pile of garbage if you can even get it to work, what do /g/?
>>
>>52028043
Why is BlackArch better?
>>
>>52028083
Architect.
>>
>>52028101
looks good, thanks
>>
Right, just ran my wpa_supplicant string, says I'm connected in the terminal and in i3. However I can't run any more commands? As in [user@archpc ~]$ doesn't show up.
>>
>>52028024
Just use debian on your main computer and run kali from a stick or vm.
>>
What's a good minimalist web browser? dwb looked really promising at a glance but it ended up being really unstable.
>>
>>52028280
I haven't done much Linux on laptops, but is this just a program running in the foreground? If so

ctrl+c to quit it

or

ctrl+z to pause and send to background
fg to unpause and bring to foreground
add an & to the end of your command to automatically send it to the background and continue running it
>>
>>52028710
How minimal? w3m Is extremely minimal.
>>
>>52028781
>not browsing with curl
>>
>>52023402
> /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
> There are three ways to try Linux, you can:
> Install a Linux OS
> Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
Anyone here? anyone willing to take steam key for my game and test it on linux? I'm having problems starting it and i wonder whether everyone does

Just take a screenshot of what happens on your pc when you start it
>>
>>52028822
ID/bateOS
You watched the video of steam dev days I posted?
>>
>>52028843
No

Just tell me one thing, how linux savvy are you?
>>
>>52028083
Either run a derivative where you benefit from something else than "like arch" or install arch.
The only "hard" part is the partitioning and you can just keep the layout if you get confused.

I use kde, so arch is not that great a distro for me.
I want to use firefox-kde without compiling it every week and use gtk software without pulling the entire gnome desktop.
So I use chakra, which is an arch derivative.
>>
I want to use windows for games on one hard drive and then linux (allow me to interject) on my main hard drive. Will gentoo be a good distro for first time user?
>>
>>52028955
use a *buntu as your first distro and everything will be easy.
>>
I've just installed crunchbang (debian), however, unlike ubuntu or windows, it doesn't have an automatic "connect to a network" application. How can I get this/run?
>>
>>52028822
I'll do it. I have multiple throwaway steam accounts that are banned from the only game on the account.

Email [email protected]. I don't remember the steam name but this email is associated with one of my steam accounts (probably similarly named)

I'll test it when I get home in like three hours.
>>
>>52028776
you can use 'bg' instead of 'fg' to resume it while leaving it in the background
>>
File: 1372147054882.jpg (67 KB, 627x370) Image search: [Google]
1372147054882.jpg
67 KB, 627x370
>>52029414
As a Linux admin I should probably know this, thanks
>>
>>52029426
you should

list running background jobs with "jobs", you can background more than one at a time
>>
>Arch or Fedora
Other than the install and package managers, what differences am I looking at?
>>
>>52029893
You can check this link for a list, might help:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_compared_to_other_distributions#Fedora
>>
>>52030007
Thanks yeah, but read that. Just looked for other inputs if there were any really.
Pretty sure I'll settle on Arch at the end of the day though, there's a lot I like with it. Just afraid I'll really regret it by fucking something up at the wrong time at some point
>>
>one SSD one HDD
>install linux on SSD
>install wondiws on HDD
>HDD also where I store all media
I won't have problems accessing the Windows drive from Linux? Or do I need to make a separate media partition?
>>
>>52030090
Just make sure the common media partition is ntfs, Linux can read and write to it just fine.

If your SSD is sufficiently large I'd partition it and both OS on it. Unless you don't really plan to use windows and are just keeping it as a safety.
>>
>>52030131
>Just make sure the common media partition is ntfs, Linux can read and write to it just fine.
Perfect, thanks.
>Unless you don't really plan to use windows and are just keeping it as a safety.
Yeah that's the idea, just in case something goes wrong at the wrong moment and I'll need MATLAB, powerpoint or whatever available.
>>
>>52027239
>He could install arch
WEW SUCH A L337 H4_XOR
>>
>>52027889
>evil-mode
>vi inside emacs
haha, no.
>>
>>52029207
NM should do this automatically once you put in a password. Run nmtui.
>>
>>52030131
>Linux can read and write NTFS just fine
Since when?
I remember this being a big issue some years ago
>>
>>52031032
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS-3G

Haven't extensively tested but it has worked for me in the recent past. I used it mainly to grab some stuff from a friend's external.
>>
>>52031032
since ntfs-3g got gud
despite being FUSE-based, it's pretty much perfect at this point
i don't even blink when using it to do resizing with it now, it just werks
>>
>>52031072
besides* being
i should say
>>
>>52031072
>>52031092
>despite besides
wat
>>
>>52031135
s/despite/besides/
>>
File: thanksgoogle.jpg (81 KB, 396x518) Image search: [Google]
thanksgoogle.jpg
81 KB, 396x518
When installing Arch on 50GB of free space, how much memory should go towards which partition?

>choose all images with gift wrapping
yes
>>
>>52031259
you can put it all on one partition if you like
>>
>>52031259
Weisen Sie 70% von ihnen, um home-Partition, die anderen in die Root-Partition.

Ich kann kein Deutsch.
>>
>>52031259
>>52031289
hail hitler
>>
>>52031295
>>>/pol/
>>
>>52031288
Alright. I'm not even sure what benefits there are to partitioning your drive into /, /home, /boot, /var and the others. Does it even matter on an SSD?

>>52031289
>Assign 70% of them to home-partition, the other in the root partition.
At least google translate could make sense of that, because I sure couldn't.

>>52031295
It's Heil, goddamnit.
>>
File: 7KfDk3J.jpg (174 KB, 615x923) Image search: [Google]
7KfDk3J.jpg
174 KB, 615x923
Guys, pls. what happened with conky manager?
I'm on linuxmint xfce and I can't fin it, nor handle conky without it.
>>
>>52031599
Maybe because he used Google to translate it to Doucheland.
>>
>>52031599
>Alright. I'm not even sure what benefits there are to partitioning your drive into /, /home, /boot, /var and the others. Does it even matter on an SSD?
Having a separate /home is handy if you break something and reinstall or just install a different distro. That way your /home and everything in it will stay intact.
>>
>>52031599
>At least google translate could make sense of that, because I sure couldn't.
Don't even speak a lick of German and I understood it.
>>
>>52031667
>Don't even speak a lick of German
That probably helps in this case
>>
>>52031619
Well yeah, but it's not like google translate is perfect when it comes to retranslating to the original language. When I look at the english version, I'm sure google already switched some words from the original phrase.

>>52031645
Oh, that makes sense. Thanks!
When dualbooting Win, I have to install GRUB into the boot partition (or directory), right?
>>
Is Linux Mint secure/liveusb safe?
>>
>>52031760
Yes, unless you are watching cp.
>>
fancy dropping a clean install of something on a hp compaq nc6220, 1.7 ghz pentium m, 1gb ram

i duuno what distro, someone suggest something to me.
>>
>>52032543
bunsenlabs/debian with openbox
>>
File: 1446769466459.png (239 KB, 814x1685) Image search: [Google]
1446769466459.png
239 KB, 814x1685
friendly reminder
>>
>>52032543
i have an hp compaq nx6120, 1.6GHz pentium m, 512M ram
previously ran arch linux on it, more recently i got a thinkpad t400, so i made the compaq into a router, running pfsense
>>
>>52032561
might just find a random one on distrowatch
i've only ever used debian and void, and i always seem to default back to debian, but i fancy something different.
>>
>>52032588
>friendly reminder
>Bullshit
>Bullshit
>Bullshit
>Bullshit
>Bullshit
Okay.
>>
Is it possible to hide the location selector in Thunar?
>>
I read that Linux is shit with battery management here and there. Is it htat much worse than Windows?
>>
>>52032679
It depends.
>>
>>52032695
this is helpful
>>
File: IMG_20151224_173229.jpg (213 KB, 959x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151224_173229.jpg
213 KB, 959x720
Wat do
>>
>>52032627
>If I pretend those problems don't exist they will magically go away!

Freetards, everyone.
>>
>>52032703
It's about all the answer I can give.
Different hardware has different amounts of support, and different setups will require different amounts of power to run.
In my own experience battery life hasn't been an issue.
>>
>>52032746
Fair enough, well heard Thinkpad's have pretty good support so I'll hope that applies to my W520
>>
>>52032742
post tits
>>
I've gotten everything to work for my pc in debian except for the drivers for my wifi card. Link to it is below, but the only drivers I've been able to find are for windows only. Is there any way to fix this or should I just get a cheap usb dongle for when I use linux?
>>
>>52032588
Was that written by someone who works at microsoft or are people actually this retarded?
>>
>>52032777
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4739#ov
>>
>>52032773
I'm not sure you'd gain much from seeing a guy with minor sunken chest.
>>
>>52032742
/mnt /dev/sda5
tells loonix to run /mnt as a program in directory /dev/sda5

if youre trying to mount a drive do
 mount /dev/sda5 /mnt 

if sda5 isnt supposed to mounted at mnt then you should use a folder in /media instead
>>
>>5203282
Oh wow, thanks.
Sda5 is my root partition, which i want to (and have to?) mount.
>>
>>52032823
>>52032912
Not sure why the 3 was deleted, but obviously for helpguy
>>
>>52032926
>>52032912
hell, i just noticed that youre running an arch iso
ive never installed arch before (slack guy)
looks like youre reading the arch install guide
so just mount to /mnt
>>
File: IMG_20151224_175721.jpg (435 KB, 959x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151224_175721.jpg
435 KB, 959x720
Trying to mount sda5 gives me this. Chmod doesnt do anything.
>>
>>52031610
someone, pls
>>
>>52033074
have you already partition and format the drives
partition type should be 8300, 83 or "linux filesystem"
>>
>>52033074
You learned a valuable life lesson that Linux is shit.
Now install Windows 10.
>>
Got a question to people using Gnome, what are your favourite themes? The only nice looking ones that I know of are Arc, Numix and Paper. I'm about to install a Manjaro with Gnome and want to make it look good, I only used Cinnamon with Radiance & Ambiance before.
>>
>>52033196
>>52033074
try running cfdisk take a picture of the output
>>
File: IMG_20151224_181451.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151224_181451.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
Dinnertime with family for now. Have a nice christmas eve and thank you a lot for the help!

>>52033196
>>52033231
I already partitioned the drive via cfdisk, and this is how it currently looks. Shouldnt sda5 be of type linux root and sda6 type linux home though?

>>52033198
Joke's on you, i dualboot win10
>>
File: 20151224_122924.jpg (567 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
20151224_122924.jpg
567 KB, 1280x1280
>>52023652
Manjaro is shit. They even stole their logo and won't admit it or give credit.
>>
>>52033336
did you also format? if not
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda5 

ayy merry chirstmas

my slackware system for (useless) reference
                           cfdisk (util-linux 2.21.2)

Disk Drive: /dev/sda
Size: 500107862016 bytes, 500.1 GB
Heads: 255 Sectors per Track: 63 Cylinders: 60801

Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size (MB)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Primary Free Space 1.05*
sda1 Boot Primary ext4 39999.01*
Pri/Log Free Space 1.03*
sda5 NC Logical swap 19998.45*
sda6 NC Logical ext4 440107.28*
Pri/Log Free Space 1.08*

>>
>>52023780
Literally fucking retarded

They would have to manually check over 6,000 packages, and with a team of three people managing multiple spins, there's NO WAY this is happening. You could have a thousand rootkits on your system right now and not even know it.
>>
>>52023402
Isn't ubuntu recommended for beginners?
>>
>>52025537
>arch teaches you how to use linux
>>
>>52034049
Literally Mint with even more bloat
>>
>>52027239
I love vim but it is not an IDE
>>
>>52034119
oh
so I guess if I want to start using Linux I should go with Mint?
I've seen a lot of people recommending certain distros because of their similarity to windows but I don't really care about that, I want a new experience that's not extremely hard
>>
>>52034143
debian+openbox
>>
>>52034143
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>>
>>52034168
>>52034176
cheers
>>
>>52034143
get a distro that uses a gtk or cli/curses installer
installers like arch's are not newbie friendly

and no im not talking about the package manager
>>
>>52034214
A R C H I T E C T
>>
Im using ubuntu on my shitty msi cr650 laptop it has a good gpu but the cpu is a lame dual core 1,4ghz
like fuck this shit category
Any distro that has a graphic interface, ubuntu's "app store" or marketplace or call whatever you want and needs less juice than ubuntu?
>>
>>52034599
lubuntu
xbuntu
>>
>>52034620
what things are missing from those?
>>
>>52034650
unity
>>
>>52034673
only that?
i know unity eats shitloads of resources but isnt that a bit overkill?
>>
>>52034599

Arch base with openbox or i3.

Embrace minimalism.
>>
>>52034688
There's some differences in pre-installed packages too, google it. But both Lubuntu and Xbuntu run a lot better than Ubuntu on older comps
>>
>>52034723
ty senpai, checking some articles about it but they only mention stuff like different default apps
>>
>>52034744
look up unity/xfcd/lxde on youtube or someshit
that's the biggest difference, the slight package variations you can change yourself easy enough (technically you can change the DE's too but it takes a whole couple of minutes longer)
>>
how the fuck do I get access to the AUR using yaourt...i can't fucking figure it out
>>
>>52034868
w-wat
>>
>>52034901
im cereal
>>
>>52034844
mkay thanks senpaifam
>>
does debian troubleshooting/problems directly translate to bunsen labs since it's built off of Debian 8 jessie?
>>
>>52032588
Nigga do you seriously expect me to read all that shit
>>
File: gpratfstab.png (107 KB, 962x739) Image search: [Google]
gpratfstab.png
107 KB, 962x739
how do I manage partition's mount privs (no need for root to mount ntfs, automount at startup, etc) in a friendly GUI way? or maybe you can tell me what to do?

my fstab and gparted are pic related, all I want is to remove root privs and automount sda4.

please help :)
>>
>>52029164
Which *buntu should I use? I want to utlize linux to get off the botnet.
>>
>>52032588
wow all of that is bullshit thanks for reminding me that stupid ignorant people exist
>>
>>52033508
>tfw it works now
Noice. Now I only need to know where to mount /home and the WindowsLinux shared partition
>>
>>52023634
http://allanmcrae.com/2015/02/improvements-on-manjaro-security-updates/
>>
>>52035756
Also shouldnt my root and home partitions be of type "linux root x64" and "linux home"?
>>
File: IMG_20151224_211219.jpg (2 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151224_211219.jpg
2 MB, 1944x2592
>>52035841
Forgot pic
>>
>>52026296
A lot of new computers today have their bootloader by default locked by something called SecureBoot, which prevents "unsafe OSs" (read: anything not Windows) from booting. Try going into the boot menu and taking a look.
>>
>>52035505

Linux Mint is my personal favorite for beginners.
>>
>>52035505
xubuntu or mint cinnamon are both great. XFCE is more lightweight and customizable and cinnamon feels more finished.
>>
How can I make it so the volume control window closes when I click somewhere else? Kinda annoying everytime I change the volume I have to click on the button again to close the window with the slider.
If I rightclick on it to open "volume control settings" all it does is open a blank terminal.
>>
>>52023634
reminder:
https://archive.is/JeOLo
>>
>>52036405
>>52035780
reminder
>>
what are the most compatible and friendly to linux printers?
>>
>>52035505
ubuntu mini iso
>>
File: IMG_20151224_223455830.jpg (2 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151224_223455830.jpg
2 MB, 1944x2592
Has anyone ever had pic related? I recently installed Debian 8.2 on my old as fuck laptop and after some minutes after starting, it goes into sleep mode. After pressing the power button it awakes and when scrolling down it fucks up.
Do you have an idea how to prevent the laptop from going to sleep? Or how to stop it from messing up the display?
>>
>>52036810
Oddly enough HP printers have pretty mature drivers on linux. On windows they're loaded with bloatware though
>>
>>52037225
Does it do it on other OSes? That almost looks like what happens when the GPU memory is fucked but it could also be a driver problem
>>
>>52037225
systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target
>>
>>52037225
h̸̘̩͖̠̝̞ͧͭ̂̓̊͐͑͝ͅe̪̲̗͔̥͚ͥͧ ̴͙̫͕̺͎̾ͨͨ̑͘͞c̣͍͚͈̯ͣͦ̂̓̃̎̂ͣ͞o̷̵̢̳̞͉̫͙̺ͥ͛̅ͦm̐̋̆̏̔ͦͦ́҉̧̖̱͙͙͔͉̲͇ę̣̭͈̰̜ͧͤͫ͊ͧ̇̎ͣs̶͖̪̭̻̟̮̲̳̩̾ͪ͆͒ͫ͘.̳̜̭̜̞͚̱͒ͣ́̑̔͊͘.̵̫͓̼͉̪̼̠̆̐̎̈́̎̐̒̊͠ͅ.̷̻̳̗͔̥̥̣͛͑̾̈́͟
>>
>>52023402
That comic, and its variants, are so stupid.
Windows applications hang because the developers abuse Windows wanting graceful sigkills. Think Office, explorer.exe.
Nothing stops you from opening a PowerShell window,
gps explorer | kill

and have it be killed instantly, just like UNIX ("linux") does it.
Even taskkill.exe can do it, if you're still using cmd.
>>
>>52037286
I think I saw a GPU Error or something with GPU Firmware when it was booting. But why is everything fine with it before it goes to sleep mode?
>>
does anybody know how to do automatic login virtual console on ubuntu? I tried the arch way but it didn't work
>>
>>52037419
/etc/systemd/system/[email protected]/override.conf

[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=-/usr/bin/agetty --autologin username --noclear %I 38400 linux

being the arch way. Couldn't find anything ubuntu specific
>>
>>52037401
Well I can only guess but it might be that the computer doesn't set the clock speed of the memory or GPU back to the correct speeds when the computer wakes. Those graphical errors lead me to believe it's the memory.
>>
>>52036810
brother drivers are okay but they are non-free
>>
>>52037428
How would that handle login passwords?
>>
>>52023473
reinstall grub2 and run the configuration script again with no flags or switches or w/e, this worked for me on arch with the exact same problem ( the problem is ur OS isnt being recognised by GRUB2)
>>
>>52037556
I duno. It's automatic
>>
>>52023402
Any gaymers here? I need help making Steam work on my arch install.

I have a GPU using nvidia optimus technology. I installed bumblebee to use it, and the glxgears tests work. However, if I try to launch Steam with "primusrun steam" it fails to launch with the error message "failed to load steamui.so".

Anyone know what's wrong? Steam works if I launch it normally.
>>
File: unsorted 000.gif (876 KB, 416x410) Image search: [Google]
unsorted 000.gif
876 KB, 416x410
So I'm trying to install scrot on slackware. I've used the imlib2 slackbuild but when i try to install the giblib slackbuild it says it cant find imlib2, Where is it and how can i figure out where the slackbuild installs it to?
>>
>>52037673
do you have 32bit gl drivers installed?
>>
>>52037700
sudo find / -name "*imlib2*"
>>
For some reason deepin is the ONLY distro where wifi works
Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, etc, they'll let me see connections and choose one, but will never actually connect.
What's up with that?
>>
>>52023532
Apparently there was no problem with the ethernet it was just me being dumb
>>
>>52037712
I think? I have lib32-virtualgl installed.
>>
>>52037794
lib32-nvidia-libgl
>>
>>52037728
Thanks, i actually figured it out.. All i needed to do was
 sudo installpkg /tmp/imlib2* 
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.