[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: wisdom_of_the_ancients.png (27 KB, 485x270) Image search: [Google]
wisdom_of_the_ancients.png
27 KB, 485x270
Previous: >>51998408

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU/Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://gitgud.io/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
>>52004599
I might be pushing the latest version of "Master" (which is actually testing) to stable today. This will be DNS v3.0.

If interested, pay attention to the new link. I might not though
>>
Is it true that using Arch gets you more bitches?
>>
Hi guys, i need help

I have a Steam game and i released a Linux build tonight. It works in my virtual machine before Steam (when it's not connected to Steam) but when i included it in Steam it won't start. Everything is the same i have no idea what to do

Can some Linux savvy guy help me, i'll give keys so you can try to start the game on your linux machines
>>
>>52004691
true
>>
Sound interesting. What's the game?
>>
>>52004691
No, but it makes you a bitch.
>>
>>52004761
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtDCdDj__Vw

http://store.steampowered.com/app/405960/
>>
>>52004776
Looks really good, Anon. Good luck with it.
>>
File: 1450662190168.jpg (417 KB, 1140x1310) Image search: [Google]
1450662190168.jpg
417 KB, 1140x1310
how noob friendly is archbang? i liked crunchbang but it's too dead for my taste
i managed to install arch but im nowhere near good enough for it to be of any benefit to me
i want light/good for battery, but also ez pz for linux dummys like me
>>
>>52004846
Thanks, it's and indie project, 2 guys working on it, we're both self taught programmers (year and a half ago we didn't know what programming even is). We don't know anything about linux but it pisses me off that i managed to start it in ubuntu 15.10 and now it doesn't work when i attach it onto steam
>>
>>52004880
I don't think many people here have experience with attaching software to steam
>>
>>52004933
How do you give read and write permissions to whole folder in linux? Maybe that's the problem? chmod -R something, right?
>>
>>52004878
ArchBang is literally Arch + Openbox
>>
>>52004993
I don't know what permissions games usually need for Steam, Maybe someone who actually uses Steam on Linux might know.
>>
>>52004734
>>52004776
ah, wanted to help you since tomorrow is a day off but I don't have the hardware to run your game, and I'd have to go through the process of installing steam and making an account.
>>
how do I mount hard drives?
They're usually there but upon booting just now, they're not.

reboot was a mistake
>>
>>52005086
>I don't have the hardware to run your game

Sunken actually runs on much slower machines, dual cores even. It's ok if you don't have steam, i don't want to bother people that much
>>
>>52005088
either with a file manager or with mount command
>>
>>52005117
clicking the play button seemed to work.
next step is automating.
>>
Is anyone using laptop with nvidia optimus tech? How do you handle it in Linux? How does it behave? What is the best distro/DE or programs for that kind of system? I know its shitty , but what can I do. I hope i will buy a new desktop sometimes soon with single normal GPU.
>>
>>52005129
>next step is automating.
On boot?
That's is what /etc/fstab is for.
Just google, i'm fairly sure you will find an answer, a lot of people use secondary drives.
>>
How the fuck can I delete tracks from CMUS?
>>
>>52005183
have you tried pressing "delete" key on your keyboard ya dingus?
>>
>>52005199
I have. Nothing happens.
>>
>>52005209
post screenshot
>>
>>52005183
capital D

https://github.com/cmus/cmus/blob/master/Doc/cmus-tutorial.txt
https://github.com/cmus/cmus/blob/master/Doc/cmus.txt
>>
what is the chmod where you can give all permissions to folder and all files in it?
>>
>>52005209
Not fucking possible I just installed to see if you're not bullshitting.
And you are, Delete works just as you'd expect it to work
>>
>>52005356
>>
>>52005356
>>
>>52005378
so it's sudo chmod -R 777 /my folder, while i'm in the folder above it, right?
>>
>>52005395
pretty much
>>
>>52005395
You're not supposed to do that, it's a security flaw to have that all readable and writable by anyone.
>>
File: 1443211826583.png (78 KB, 399x240) Image search: [Google]
1443211826583.png
78 KB, 399x240
>>52005395
youre not trying to run it on / do ya
>>
>>52005395
well, not "/myfolder" since that'll go to the myfolder in the root directory
>>
>>52005417
i'm >>52004734

i'm trying to figure out what's the problem with the game

game loads Unity screen, and quits after that, i suspect some files are not set right to right permissions but apparently, they are, so i'm clueless
>>
>>52005446
what does the game spit out when you try to run it from the terminal?

Also you said it works just fine in non-steam version, but the steam version doesn't.
So clearly steam is the problem.
Fiddle around with it.
>>
>>52005479
>what does the game spit out when you try to
run it from the terminal?

After some lines that look ok this pops out

*** Error in `./Sunken_linux_build.x86_64': corrupted double-linked list: 0x0000000002aed9a0 ***

>Also you said it works just fine in non-steam version, but the steam version doesn't

It turns out i had a version that worked on Linux and i had to give some permissions and make some executable, nothing special and it worked. I deleted that build, went back to Win, connected to steam API, made new build, and that new build doesn't work with or without steam (just saw that now)
>>
How do I disable the disgusting beeps on Xfce? On Arch atm? Picture unrelated
>>
File: Capture1.png (979 KB, 1516x1052) Image search: [Google]
Capture1.png
979 KB, 1516x1052
opinions on #!++ ?
good idea?
>>
>>52005582
debian with openbox,
i don't know what fucking opinion you expected.
>>
>>52005582
>being the minority among the minority
>>
>>52005543
>*** Error in `./Sunken_linux_build.x86_64': corrupted double-linked list: 0x0000000002aed9a0 ***

Well I know next to nothing about programming but this looks like a problem in the code itself.
Maybe try a debugger like valgrind (i've heard it's a great tool).
>>
>>52005643
I'm using unity engine and it automates making builds for windows and linux (and others). Win works just fine, linux was fine until my 2nd build. Wtf.....
>>
>>52005569
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Disable_PC_speaker_beep
?

If it's an annoying beep, I'm guessing it's the speaker beep. It's not unique to a particular DE/WM.

There are some useful reasons to keep it but, yeah, you can disable it.
>>
>>52005569
>India
They don't stop do they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqK3e4rBw4k
>>
>>52005678
>and it automates making builds for windows and linux (and others). Win works just fine, linux was fine until my 2nd build. Wtf.....
Have you changed anything between the first and second build?
>>
>>52005700
Cow dung actually has some quite useful properties. Try educating yourself before making yourself look like a tool.
>>
>>52005706
There was a whole new mode for the game (which works just fine on Win). Problem is, few libraries were missing in my 1st build and when i included few .dll files from win build it started working. Now i included to dlls right at the start. I don't know whether unity fucked up something or are those dlls guilty or something entirely else
>>
File: thisNeverHappenned.gif (113 KB, 478x356) Image search: [Google]
thisNeverHappenned.gif
113 KB, 478x356
>>52005691
Funny I forgot to rmmod the pcspkr
Thanks anon
>>
>>52005721
>Cow dung actually has some quite useful properties.

We both know that's bullshit.
>>
>>52005754
ok anon, stay an ignorant tool.
>>
>>52005700
It's early in the morning and I puked
>>52005721
AYY
>>52005770
AYY AYY
>>
>>52005770
>thinking I am an anon
>missing the obvious pun
You really are retarded, huh?
>>
>>52005734
I can't help you then, like I said, no fucking clue how game development works.
>>
>>52005791
It was such a pathetically base pun it was not even worthy of mention or comment.
>>
Other than programming, hacking, and trying to be a special unique snowflake, are there any advantages to using Linux?
>>
>>52005808
Linux = tinkering
tinkering = fun
>>
>>52005808
It's not windows, that's more than enough.
>>
>>52005818
This, Linux us basically a toy. Not counting specific use things, such as Kodi, which actually serve a purpose.
>>
File: 1450439781592.jpg (102 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1450439781592.jpg
102 KB, 499x499
Newfag here.
During install if I am downloading all the packages from the arch linux repo, why is the bootable ISO so big in size?
Even elementary OS has a much smaller image size.
>>
Welp. I did it. V3.0

https://gitgud.io/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript/
>>
>>52005838
>Not counting specific use
Office is specific use tbqh familia
>>
>>52005919
Arch has 300 MB ISO, m8.
>>
>>52005919
Unless you have netinstall, it has (most) of the packages on the cd, in case the user doesn't have the internet, or the connection is interupted.

Get the netinstall if you want to use the net to install.
>>
>>52006149
I am talking about an entire OS built around a single use such as Kodi or Steam OS.
>>
How do I tag multiple songs at once in ncmpcpp's tag editor?

also, fuck these guys:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=80926

>hey, i think program X is underpowered because it doesn't look like it can do function Y
>actually it can do function Y
>oh wow, you're right, it can do function Y!

AND NO GODDAMN EXPLANATION/EXPOSITION/DOCUMENTATION
>>
>>52005808
Little to no viruses.
>>
>>52006168
+660MB, M80
>>
>>52006223
>AND NO GODDAMN EXPLANATION/EXPOSITION/DOCUMENTATION
welcome to linux
>>
>>52005808
It's not windows. You can take any of the open source *nix OSes and modify them to do whatever you want. They also don't go out of date, you can continue to patch them indefinitely as long as you have the abilities or someone is releasing patches.
>>
>>52006238
Arch has 660 MB, elementary has 1.1 GB.
>>
>>52006288
Ah, my bad
But I still don't understand what are in this 660MB if I'm grabbing everything from online.
It comes with a few partitioning tools, elinks, vi, zsh and few other small utilities
>>
>>52006339
>if I'm grabbing everything from online.
see >>52006173

the iso has the necessary software for both 32 and 64 bit
>>
>>52006173
>>52006423
Alright makes sense
>>
How can I get Conky to stay when I open my windows? As an overlay.
>>
>>52006853
You mean ontop?
own_window_type normal
own_window_hints undecorated,above,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager

The "above" part is the important bit, but it will act as a normal window, meaning you can't access anything "behind it".
I don't think it's possible to make it transparent to clicks.
Hope that helps.
>>
mount /mnt/path /dev/hda1

Or something like that...
>>
So I downloaded the GParted ISO and brunt it onto a disc, booted into it, and then proceeded to partition the drive.

It took a couple hours but it shifted the old windows partition right, BUT managed to corrupt it in the meantime.

I'm assuming there is no hope of recovering the Windows partition?

Which sucks because now I can't even continue the Debian install because it was primed through the Windows partition.

What do, /g/?
>>
>>52005808
infinite fun
>>
All distros are similar, with varying differences in packages, customizability, etc. Are there any distros that are the best for coding? I've been trying out Linux Mint, Ubuntu, and Debian, but I was wondering if there was something more in other distros.
>>
>>52007132
F S C K
S
C
K
>>
>>52007132
Use ntfsfix.

Usually GParted has check and repair filesystem.
>>
File: file.jpg (116 KB, 1057x340) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
116 KB, 1057x340
Dear anyone who claims that GNOME is still under control of GNU, I have delivered my proof.
>>
>>52007547
Since GParted is using a GNOME distro, I'm assuming I can just apt-get ntfsfix from there and fix it that way?

Or are you saying I can just repair it from the actual GParted program?

Sorry if these sound like absolute retarded questions. First time moving around the Linux world so I'm having to learn this all the hard way.
>>
>>52007696
Both.

Usually GParted has ntfsfix installed by default, it is a part of ntfs-3g package.
>>
>>52007728
So running ntfsdix on both of the paritions (the smaller system reserved and the larger general windows space) said they were both processed correctly.

However upon returning to the boot menu I recieve the same error.

"Windows failed to star. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

File: \g2ldr.mbr

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt."

I'll try booting back into GParted from the disk and poking around a bit more but at this point things seem grim.
>>
>>52007876
Hmm, that error just sounds like the boot record is broken.
Could you elaborate your setup, is it an ssd, are you using uefi?
You can always try the windows repair if you have the installation media.
Or if you have usb sticks, download boot-repair and try that.
If you can somehow boot to windows and it's ok, just commit to the install and grub should handle it.
>>
>>52008053
It's just an HDD. Yeah after more research things are pointing to me having to burn a Window Recovery Disk and running chkdsk from there.

Thank you for all the help.
>>
File: image.jpg (247 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
247 KB, 1920x1080
> fall for install Gentoo meme
> installing hardened kernel with grsecurity, selinux, and openrc
> run buildkernel --ask --verbose
> "cc1: some warnings being treated as errors"
> Kbuild:61: recipe for 'arch/x86/kernel/asm-offsets.s' failed
> make[1]: *** [arch/x86/kernel/asm-offsets.s] error 1
> Makefile:1060: recipe for target 'prepare0' failed
Make: *** [prepare0] error 2

* buildkernel: error: caught signal - exiting
* buildkernel: warning: unmounting '/boot/efi'

I'm following https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki%27s_EFI_Install_Guide/Configuring_and_Building_the_Kernel#Building_the_New_Kernel_.28Using_buildkernel.29 for the most part.

Not sure what's up. I get a long series of errors, the final few say something about 'pax_close_kernel'.

Anyone know what's up?
>>
>>52008178
I'd consult gentoo irc channels with proper logs of your journey.
Mention you are trying to harden the system.

There is so many things that could fail, it's almost impossible to help.
>>
>>52005808
Linux isn't particularly good for programming because the best IDE is for windows.

But then again. If you're in my situation where the company uses netbeans with a tremendous shitload of garbage dumped into the programming project, well I've cut my build times by more than half by switching from windows to linux. I expect it to become even faster once I get rid of Unity in favor of a better DE.

Also I like how Linux doesn't try to force a bunch of things on me, unlike windows. If not for video games and programming video games, I would most likely switch to 100% Linux because that's basically the only disadvantage.
>>
>>52008378
>Best IDE
>For Windows
Only applies to C# and anything .NET
>>
What are some decent (YouTube) demonstrations of Wayland?

The random screenshots that I've found through Google make it seem ugly and awful, and I have no idea how they'll make it work for Fedora 24.
>>
>>52008378
>the best IDE is for windows
but Vim runs everywhere. Hell there's even a port for the emacs operating system
>>
>>52008378
>Linux isn't particularly good for programming
This is a first and I'm actually quite sad that you think that.

When you program on a system which has it's source code available, it's something else, it's like everything is in your grasp.
And the best part is, you are not the first to think that, so you are working with others, live and in history.
It's quite magnificent what people can do actually, build on others work.

To state in plain english, Linux and poor coding environment is an oxymoron, because Linux itself is the prime example of it's own environment.
You can't have the most successful kernel in the world and have a poor programming enviroment at the same time.
>>
>>52008423
From 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FjuPn7MXMs
>>
Reminder that Manjaro isn't good for security.
http://allanmcrae.com/2013/01/manjaro-linux-ignoring-security-for-stability/
>>
>>52008290
Shit-fuck.

I knew the install was going to easily.

Hello, 30 hours of troubleshooting. Sleep is for normies anyway.
>>
>>52008612
manjaro isn't good for anything.
>>
Is there anything that is easier to set up than OpenVPN to route all traffic through a tunnel between boxes?
I can never seem to get the networking correct completely despite following multiple guides
>>
>>52008758
Depends on traffic, but ssh is the king when it comes to one off things.

If you aren't a sysadmin, then hire a one.
>>
File: ASUS_RT-N56U_issue.png (41 KB, 1275x380) Image search: [Google]
ASUS_RT-N56U_issue.png
41 KB, 1275x380
Anyone use openwrt? I'm using an Asus RT-N56U with Barrier Breaker and all was fine. Got a few devices that could pick up 5.0Ghz and I thought why not go with Chaos Calmer? I went ahead and grabbed their sysupgrade image and it has been stuck in a loop for almost 30 minutes now. It's definitely working since I can post right now, but it's weird. Also, check this shit out when I try to access the router through the browser. It's definitely Asus' fault, but I'm just putting it here in case someone had gone through the same situation.
>>
How do I switch my vga controller from the first gpu to the second one?
>>
>>52009406
Oh yeah distro is antergos
>>
What would I loose using Ubuntu?
>>
>>52009457
A bit of epeen and maybe some personal information to Amazon if you use unity.
>>
>>52007072
Thanks.
>>
>>52009482
Overall it is a good distro?
>>
>>52009623
Yeah its good. Easy to use package installer and good support. Distro doesn't really matter that much desu.
>>
What's a decent distro to install on vastly underpowered hardware? I only have 4gb of space available and it's going on a CF card. I can stretch it to 16gb if I use a SD card though but I'd prefer the CF card. I'm probably installing puppy but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks.
>>
>>52009912
Aside from Puppy there's also Tiny Core Linux, Alpine Linux, and Void Linux.

If you're feeling adventurous you can also install OpenBSD or NetBSD.
>>
Can someone please explain to me the basic differences there are between package managers and what advantages/disadvantages they have?

Particuarly the more popular ones like dpkg, rpm and pacman.
>>
>>52009969
Thanks mate.

I'm going to try openbsd for shits and giggles.

This is going on a Samsung Q1U with a 600 mhz single core intel processor and 2 gb of ram.
>>
>>52010032
Be sure to read the documentation and man pages, they have examples and mini tutorials to help you out. Have fun.
>>
>>52010006
RPM = dependency hell
>>
File: 20151222_231535-1-1.jpg (4 MB, 2458x1704) Image search: [Google]
20151222_231535-1-1.jpg
4 MB, 2458x1704
Arch (antergos, don't worry I have done a full installation before) with xfce is telling me that there is an Ethernet/wired connection available. Thing is, i have no ethernet cable plugged in. It tries to connect to it, and it fucks everything.
Using a thinkpad t420

Help?
>>
>>52010153
I've used dpkg and it breaks in pretty much the same ways.

>Install and run xfce for a few days but can't help but notice the tearing in some applications
>feel like maybe I could stomach gnome3's appearance today
>2GB of crap later
>Fuck this shit is awful looking. Why do the title bars take up like half the screen?
>apt-get remove || dnf erase gnome
>wpa_supplicant somehow isn't marked to prevent it from being removed
>internet goes out
>after manually reinstalling wpa_supplicant I find out that half of the applications that came with xfce were also removed
>>
1:00 am Gentoo installation
>>
>>52010266
>This will remove the following packages
>Are you sure?
>>
I have win10 on my C drive

I also have a 1tb empty D drive

Can i just install linux on the D
>>
>>52011397
sure
>>
>>52011408

can you link me to a guide
>>
>>52011397
Yeah
>>
>>52011424
You can do it through Virtualbox pretty easily
>>
File: Iceweasel_icon.png (1 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
Iceweasel_icon.png
1 MB, 2000x2000
How is Iceweasel these days? I take it the experimental version contains the bloat stuff like pocket?
>>
alright, I tried installing xubuntu a while back (finals were coming up, didnt really have time to mess with it) and when i booted into the live boot everything was fine, after installing everything was fine, after rebooting after the install my shit was fucked on my displays
nothing was displaying at the right definition, the displays were not auto detected like with the live boot, nothing. no matter what I did I couldn't fix the issue either
all this being said, I didn't try too hard, not much time, etc. my setup is different than the average too, 2 monitors and a amd 295x2 so I think it might have been driver issues, what do I need to do for this shit to "just work"? any help is good, i know i've not given much info here
>inb4 change distro
dont really want to unless its a huge pain in the ass to fix xubuntu
>tl;dr
xubuntu works fine on live boot but not on install for my dual monitors and 295x2 setup and i dont know why
>>
>>52011577
Did you try to install drivers?
>>
>>52011836
not at first. I tried restarting and setting up the config manually with xconfig and that didn't work. its been a minute and I don't recall if I tried after that, I wasn't really even sure which drivers I would need to go with given that I have an amd card and its a dual gpu set up, so no matter what the performance will be garbage
>>
Is it possible to set up full-disk encryption (/boot and all) with dm-crypt/LUKS without wiping my data? On Debian here
>>
>>52011921
No, but you can encrypt just your home directory

https://wiki.debian.org/TransparentEncryptionForHomeFolder
>>
I need some help. I fear there is something horribly wrong with my Ubuntu 14.04. I can't sudo apt-get install anything and it tells me to run "dpkg --configure -a" but when I do it just hangs forever saying "Running depmod". If I ^C it shows:

dpkg: error processing package linux-generic-lts-vivid (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
linux-image-3.19.0-42-generic
linux-image-generic-lts-vivid
linux-image-extra-3.19.0-42-generic
linux-generic-lts-vivid

Also many programs are not working, things do not open. gedit took about 10mins to open. weirdly some things are super fast, but anything terminal related is super slow. emacs doesn't open etc. I'm mostly just a user of linux and can generally do things when given instructions, so does anyone have any ideas about what I need to do here?
>>
>set up arch pretty much how I want it in virtualbox
What do I need to do a 'backup' now? Copy all dotfiles + write down every package I've -S'd?
>>
File: screenfetch.png (88 KB, 571x329) Image search: [Google]
screenfetch.png
88 KB, 571x329
Watching a show on Netflix using a Chromecast, of course with Chrome using the official extension, but I'm seeing crazy fps drops on the TV for some reason. It isn't buffering or anything, just dropping mad frames. Meanwhile, looking at the video on my laptop it's perfectly fine.

Anyone know how to fix this ? I've tried lowering the quality setting in the Chromecast extension from Auto to 720p, but it's still the same.
Pic related for specs/distro.
>>
File: 1449397870203.jpg (172 KB, 1124x1024) Image search: [Google]
1449397870203.jpg
172 KB, 1124x1024
Quick question, how can I watch twitch streams on Linux (I use Debian) without installing adobe flash player.
I tried the mpv command but its not working on twitch and I don't want to install shitty flash. Everything else I can use the html5 player and be fine but twitch is giving me problems
>>
>>52004582
please someone help me, this issue has been haunting me for the past 3-4 months :(

im using xubuntu, and i have rtl8723be wifi on my hp pavilion laptop (i7u, 8gb ddr3, 1tb hdd, nvidia 940m).

wifi works ootb, but when i suspend the laptop and then wake it back up my wifi is "hard blocked" and the wifi toggle on my laptop (fn+f12) no longer does anything.
>>
If I have some broken packages AKA here >>52012355 would it be considered retarded and dangerous to rm -f them and then download them from the internet and just pop them in the folder? I'm trying to fix this but depmod just stalls every time and I don't know what's wrong
>>
>>52012609
Cute kitty
>>
Is there some "essential terminal hotkeys" infographic?
>>
First time linux here.
I installed XFCE and I feel like I'm somehow missing some UI elements?
How do I do things or start applications?
>>
>>52012780
your missing xfce4-panel
>>
>>52012792
>sudo apt-get install xfce4-panel
>Reading package lists... Done
>Building dependency tree
>Reading state information... Done
>xfce4-panel is already the newest version.
>0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

uh, I guess I have it? How do I make it appear?
>>
>>52012780
Assuming you're not missing any packages and you just somehow managed to start xfce without a panel, press Alt+F1 or rightclick on your desktop. From there you can access everything, go to Settings Manager -> Panel, and make a panel.

If you can't do this, you're missing packages like >>52012792
>>
>>52012813
xfce4-panel &

try that, make sure to use the ampersand, and after hitting enter hit enter a few times then close the term
>>
>>52012780
If I remember my XFCE correctly, for starting applications: rightclick on the desktop or press alt-f2 and write the name of the application.
>>
>>52012589
It could be your router. Remember, your router can only go as fast as the slowest device connected to it.
>>
>>52012720
bump ;-;

>>52012828
yup, its alt+f2
>>
>>52012822
that worked.

On first launch it asked me if I want to customize or use a preset, I chose preset.
I wonder why it doesn't autostart it.
>>
>>52012869
just add it to the autostart, its somewhere in session and startup or something, if not, google it, :)

are you using arch btw?
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 390x478) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 390x478
>>52008178
Same guy. I managed to get the kernel to build.

Now everything's read-only. I can't even chmod. I don't want to reboot for risk of losing all of my progress. I tried exiting the chroot but I can't do anything from the cd either.

Please tell me there's a way around this without throwing everything out and starting over.
>>
>>52012839
I don't think it's the router, it was perfectly fine last night with my little brother watching Netflix on his laptop, and using the Chromecast with my mum's Macbook.
It got better about 20 minutes in though, weird.

I guess maybe it was just the LTE connection being finicky.
>>
>>52012889
it's debian. I just wanted a very lightweight UI to let some UI applications run every now and then. rest is run over ssh.
>>
>>52012780
If you right click you should be able to add a panel. From there you can add icons, taskbars, and launchers to it! :D Hope you enjoy the best DE ;)
>>
>>52012891
give up on the gentoo meme

>>52012957
ahh i see, good choice in distro then :)
>>
What's the best distro I can use with KDE as default DE?
>>
>>52012609
works fine for me on debian. did you install ffmpeg, youtube-dl and mpv? do you use the open with plugin for iceweasel?
>>52011490
it's the least shitty browser, i like iceweasel aurora a lot but it does have pocket. >>52011424
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uVcsFhv2Vo
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux#Installing_an_OS
>>
>>52013046
debian netinstall has a KDE option. opensuse is great aswell.
>>
>>52013046
Kubuntu, Debian netinst, or OpenSuSE.
>>
>>52007324
Ubuntu has a neat cli program (umake I think) which can install complete programming environments using one simple command.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-make
>>
>>52005801
>salty because he got memed
>>
How can i copy data to a file without truncating it?
Like say i create a 1GB disk image, and i want to copy 4K bytes to it using a terminal command, how can i do that without turning the disk image into a 4KB image.
>>
How often should you recompile your custom kernels?
>>
File: 1448822223957.jpg (124 KB, 676x673) Image search: [Google]
1448822223957.jpg
124 KB, 676x673
>>52014306
every time you feel like it or there is a security update.
>>
will this command
mv dw-s02e0*/*.mkv /media/share/

move all the mkv files out of every folder on my share?
>>
I made a raid in the motherboard controller, did I do right by mounting md126p1?
Everything I write to it gets duplicated, or do I have to do some other magic first?

NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 449.9G 0 part /
├─sda2 8:2 0 1K 0 part
└─sda5 8:5 0 15.9G 0 part [SWAP]
sdb 8:16 0 1.8T 0 disk
└─md126 9:126 0 1.8T 0 raid1
└─md126p1 259:0 0 1.8T 0 md /mnt/raid
sdc 8:32 0 1.8T 0 disk
└─md126 9:126 0 1.8T 0 raid1
└─md126p1 259:0 0 1.8T 0 md /mnt/raid
>>
>>52014426
ja
>>
>>52014475
thanks.
also, is there a better way to move large amounts of files to a network share? using mv, but it feels slow
>>
>>52014515
nope. moving to different drives will be slow no matter what you use.
>>
>>52014515
Rsync
>>
how would I replace xfce panel/menu with MATE's. I just want that part from MATE.
>>
>>52005021

Breddy much
>>
>>52014546
Mixing panels etc. between DEs tends to cause issues. I'd recommend against it.
>>
>>52014649
So it is impossible something like " delete xfce4-panel , install mate-panel , it somehow magically doesnt fuck up whole system" ? I mean yeah i feared it would be complicated but I had to know
>>
>>52014679
It's definitely possible to install a Mate panel, and have it launch on session-start. It's just probably not a good idea.
>>
>>52014713
understood.
So I just make it launch on session start like a normal application alongside with xfce right?
>>
>>52010261
Did you install wireless drivers?
>>
will I run into issues using chrome on arch?
>>
anyone knows how to make chromium or firefox open all media formats known on earth on an external player such as but not limited to : mpv?
>>
>>52015085
In Firefox you can select handlers for file formats. I don't know if it's universal, but it would be a start.
>>
>>52015085
>>52015128
about:preferences#applications
>>
I got a thin client and made a raid0 from the internal flash and a flash drive, however, when I try to install grub to /dev/md0 the process fails. Using Debian netinstall. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong with the software raid?
>>
Hardware:
- Dell Latitude D820
- CPU: Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T7200 @ 2.00GHz
- RAM: 2,00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 (4-4-4-12)
- Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M (Dell)
- HDD: 74GB Seagate ST980811AS ATA Device (SATA)

Cases:
Browsan, watching movies, playing on emulators, programming.

Problem:
What to pick? I would go for xubuntu, but want to ask for Your feedback.

I'm not sure with computational power of that laptop, so I have hard time figuring what would run on it properly. The only distros I've tried was Ubuntu and later xubuntu. For some reason XFCEon xubuntu was pretty intuitive for me, plus Ubuntu got fuckton of features which bloated my hardware.

Or should I go with lubuntu perhaps?
>>
Is there a way to sync my ipad nano 7th on ubuntu? Google says no.
>>
>>52016165
shit, an ipod, obviously
>>
>>52016130
Xubuntu is pretty nice. I don't use it right now (Debian+LXDE), but I ran it for years with very few complaints.
>>
>>52007598
I delivered.
>>
>>52016181
I'm not following the releasing convention.
Should I pick 2014 LTS or 2015 version? Is that the stable vs new case here?
>>
Noobuntu user here, I see all these cool ricing setups here on /g/ and am really interested in checking it out. I know that ricing can be done on Arch so I'm looking into trying it out. However, I'm intimidated by setting up a whole OS. Is it really that hard?
>>
>>52016266
you can do all the ricing you want on ubuntu
>>
I would install Linux on my desktop, but there are a few problems with this approach, so I've been forced to use windows so far.

1. muh video gaems
2. autodesk cad software
3. ugly font rendering on linux
>>
>>52016299
>ugly font rendering

nigga wut?
>>
/flt/, I need your help.
Every time I delete some big file (over 2GB) off of my SSD, there's a very high chance my PC will freeze in the next 2-15 minutes.
It's not a complete freeze, though. A YouTube still plays until the buffer runs out, I can still move the mouse and manipulate the WM. But I can't run any commands, can't manipulate tmux, can't read/write any files, nothing like that.

What could be the cause of this?

I know it's not fstrim (which was the most likely suspect), because it doesn't affect my system any time I manually run it (it's run hourly by cron normally).
>>
>>52016299
>3. ugly font rendering on linux
Install infinality bundle and this issue will be gone forever. It's literally this simple, no config needed.
>>
File: font.png (78 KB, 1089x341) Image search: [Google]
font.png
78 KB, 1089x341
>>52016299
>ugly font rendering
Is this ugly?
>muh games
if you play games for babies like LOL then it's your fault.
>>
>>52016245
Every (even year).04 is an LTS release.
The 14.04 LTS release will get updates until April 2017, but all of your software will be pretty old.
The 15.10 release will have new software, but you'll basically have to update every six months.
>>
>>52016344
>what is backports
>>
>>52016339
No, I don't play ASSFAGGOTS, but most games I play are Windows-only
>>
File: SCR_1450886403.png (117 KB, 898x404) Image search: [Google]
SCR_1450886403.png
117 KB, 898x404
>>52016339
It's pretty ugly, not gonna lie.
>>
>>52016327
Are you mounting with the discard option?

>>52016353
More work.
If you want one or two things it's fine, but backporting everything is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>52016374
So, what constitutes as a 'beautiful' rendering?

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration

*buntu-based distros have font configuration patched by default, though.
>>
>>52016388
Yep, allow-discards is in the grub.cfg. Isn't that a good thing?
>>
>>52016374
your font makes me puke
>>
>>52016405
If you're already running fstrim via cron it's unnecessary.
I've heard people claim that discard can cause performance issues while deleting stuff. You may as well try turning it offf.
>>
>>52016405
>>52016440
Wait, grub.cfg?
What?
>>
>>52016440
Thanks, I'll try that.

>>52016447
linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux-ck cryptdevice=/dev/disk/by-uuid/<UUID>:<MY_DRIVE>:allow-discards ...
>>
How do I install gnome on xubuntu?
>>
>>52016830
There's a package called "Gnome".
Install it.
>>
>>52016955
sudo apt-get install gnome

?
>>
>>52016990
Sure, that should work.
It'll pull a lot of shit though - you'll end up with music players and all that shit you get on installing Ubuntu-Gnome (or whatever it's called now).
You can probably grab "gnome-core" if you just want the basic DE.
>>
>>52017066
Thanks for info
>>
File: Captura3.png (112 KB, 236x262) Image search: [Google]
Captura3.png
112 KB, 236x262
Hi. On windows, I use to have somee tools for cleaning, looking at hardware and so. the CCleaner, Hdtune, ultradefrag... kind.
Is anything similar to this on linux?
>>
>>52017350
just uninstall packages you don't need or want

apt-get remove
rpm -e
zypper rm

etc
>>
>>52015085
you can use a plugin called "open with" and configure it. i use it and i think it's pretty convenient. you need to have youtube-dl installed though.
>>
>>52017350
The package manager should handle cleaning up old programs, so you shouldn't need anything for that.
You could, hypothetically, dick around with udisks to "tune" your hard drive. But you'd be far more likely to brick it than actually help.
Under normal use, EXT4 shouldn't ever need defragmentation.

What do you actually want?
>>
>>52017350
BleachBit for cleaning up your shit
You dont need hdtune and ultradefreag, linux does defragging on its own.
Not sure what purpose you use hdtune for but i check my hardware infos via kinfocenter
>>
>>52017470
this>>52017506
software to clean my mess and look at the hardware.

>>52017506
simple program that looks at errors on disk, benchamarks, and other parameters.

thanks for the answers
>>
>>52017350
bleachbit is everything you need
>>
>>52013004
> give up
Fuck that. I've sank too many hours into this.
>>
File: 1450877151683.png (407 KB, 550x905) Image search: [Google]
1450877151683.png
407 KB, 550x905
How is Open Source drivers for 390x?

I'm planning to dual boot Linux and Windows for gayming?
>>
I'm currently using xubuntu and wanted to install all the stuff to upgrade to KXStudio. I installed all packages and repositories, but when i rebbot, i don't get the KXStudio welcome setup. Did i do something wrong? When i updated, i did it with the option to keep my xfce environment. Can i somehow manually start the welcome setup?
>>
>>52004582
Seriously, this is creepy. I can never open xkcd pics from clover, wtf
>>
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20151221#arch
Archfags btfo'd
>>
>>52004582
why is 3) balls deep "not recommended"
is this the retards proof guide?
>>
>>52017925
some people actually need their computer for important stuff and in case things don't work out right away should be able to go back and do actual work
>>
File: u wot m8.png (5 KB, 504x58) Image search: [Google]
u wot m8.png
5 KB, 504x58
merry xmas loonixfags
have some shitposting material

>checking file system eats all of the rams
>>
>>52017917
>wahh arch sucks cause I can't follow directions or use an installer like architect or antergos

uninformed shitstain who has no business writing a "tech" blog
>>
>>52017917
>>52018409
are we reading the same thing? that wasn't exactly negative.
>>
>>52017664
drivers on Linux (only Linux because drivers work with the kernel) are kind of like this:
open intel drivers>proprietary nvidia drivers>open amd drivers~proprietary amd drivers>open nvidia drivers
open amd drivers are more stable and have better performance sometimes but for other things the proprietary ones are better.
>>52017917
this review doesn't sound too bad. he accurately describes which kind of people would like running arch and for which usecases it's not a good choice.
>>
How do I make it so a file doesn't need root?

I can't change my themes in openbox because I can't rewrite rc.xml
>>
>>52019155
create a nonsystem rc file and point openbox there? that or just chmod and 777 the fucker
>>
>>52018609
while it's not overtly negative, the general tone feels like he's saying arch is more trouble than it's worth. that's just the vibe I get from it anyways, and if you're gonna mention that arch has a manual install that can be somewhat tedious, it's only fair to mention easier options as well, isn't it?
>>
>>52019505
>the general tone feels like he's saying arch is more trouble than it's worth
he states that it is like this FOR HIM, not that it is like this for everyone.
>>
>>52019472

didn't know about 777.

Thanks, anon. This will probably lead to nothing ever needing root, but I'm sure I'll learn my lesson eventually.
>>
cunchbang++ or bunsenlabs? does it matter?
>>
>>52019583
of course an article is going to be about the writers personal opinion on whatever they're writing about, but you really shouldn't list something as a negative or possible negative if there are other more positive methods of doing the same thing

>>52019611
voidbang
>>
>>52019609

sudo wifi-menu
>>
>>52019657
>of course an article is going to be about the writers personal opinion on whatever they're writing about, but you really shouldn't list something as a negative or possible negative if there are other more positive methods of doing the same thing
i really tried to understand what you wrote but i just can't. please rephrase it.
>>
>>52019859
it's like saying a truck is harder to drive than a care because that particular truck is a standard and the car is automatic. technically it'ts true but it completely ignores the fact that you can get an automatic trruck as well
>>
Presuming I keep up to date with Arch announcements and make limited use of AUR, will my system have stability comparable to other distros?
>>
>>52020269
it's fine, there's even an lts kernel and I've made extensive use of aur and not had any breakage, but yes it can happen even if you delay updates and read the update logs/open issues with every program you update you can still encounter a bug that no one else has yet, or that no one's bothered to mention because they found an easy fix
>>
>>52020327
Yeah what I figured, obviously that one bug could appear but that goes for any distro. I'll have a W10 dual boot just in case, sometimes I just can't afford not having a computer available
>>
>>52020385
rather than dual boot, why not just use winddows and install arch in a vm?
>>
File: 1425143417096.jpg (82 KB, 484x471) Image search: [Google]
1425143417096.jpg
82 KB, 484x471
im about to install debian standard off a netinstall or livecd and i cant decide which window manager i should roll with
id like something very small
like dwm or something
>>
>>52020420
i3 is what /g/ is currently shilling
>>
>>52020411
Because it's slower, want lightning speed
>>
>>52020445
im more of a floating window kind of guy
>>
>>52020469
whatever floats your boat desu
>>
>>52020469
openbox is an option.
i mean literally, debian netinstall offers this in the installer.
>>
hey guys. im trying to simplify my codde so that others cn understand it. so im on shellcheck.com and i get this error.
>SC2086 Double quote to prevent globbing and word splitting.
how do i fix it for this peice of code?

while [ x$username = "x" ]; do
read -p "Please enter the username you wish to create: " username
if id -u $username >/dev/null 2>&1; then
echo "User already exists"
username=""
fi
done

while [ x$group = "x" ]; do
read -p "Please enter the group you would like to be in. If that group doesn't exist it will be made: " group
if id -g $group >/dev/null 2>&1; then
echo "Group exist"
else
groupadd $group
fi
done

>>
I've been using Xubuntu on my laptop for a few weeks now and it's been mostly good to me but a few days ago my updates started failing because /boot has apparently run out of space. 'sudo apt-get clean' doesn't do anything. I did get a few hits when googling this issue but first I wonder if someone here wants to suggest a fix. The other suggestions seemed a little tricky for a noob and I can't afford having a brick right now.
>>
>>52020491
but i cant decide
>>
>>52020517
just pick one, install it, run it for a while (hours ,days, weeks), then try something else
nothing to lose
>>
>>52020531
except my time
>>
>>52020543
If you have time to post here, you have time to waste
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.