[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tesla driver using Autopilot feature killed by tractor trailer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 26
>Frank Baressi, 62, the driver of the tractor-trailer and owner of Okemah Express LLC, said the Tesla driver was "watching Harry Potter on the TV screen" and driving so quickly that "he went so fast through my trailer I didn't see him."

kek

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-driver-killed-crash-while-012228445.html
>>
File: 1467161166074.jpg (25 KB, 411x419) Image search: [Google]
1467161166074.jpg
25 KB, 411x419
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-driver-killed-crash-while-012228445.html

>The first person to die in a U.S. crash involving a car in self-driving mode was the tech-savvy 40-year-old owner of a Tesla Model S who nicknamed his car "Tessy" and praised its sophisticated "Autopilot" system.

>Joshua D. Brown, of Canton, Ohio, died in the May 7 crash in Williston, Florida, when his car's cameras failed to distinguish the white side of a turning tractor-trailer rig from a brightly lit sky and didn't automatically activate its brakes, according to government records and a Tesla statement issued Thursday.

>Frank Baressi, 62, the driver of the tractor-trailer and owner of Okemah Express LLC, said the Tesla driver was "watching Harry Potter on the TV screen" and driving so quickly that "he went so fast through my trailer I didn't see him."

>"It was still playing when he died and snapped a telephone pole a quarter mile down the road," Baressi said in an in an interview from his home in Palm Harbor, Florida. He acknowledged he couldn't see the movie, only heard it.

Good job fucking it up for Google, bald manlet.
>>
Expelliarmus!
>>
File: denton.png (84 KB, 243x255) Image search: [Google]
denton.png
84 KB, 243x255
>>55349850
>tech is still in early adopter stage with hardly any users
>people are already dying

Its over, Tesla is finished. They need a damn near flawless record before the average person trusts that thing with their life.
>>
>>55349942
it's literally just fancy cruise control
if you get killed using it it's your own damn fault
>>
>>55349850
>not paying attention to the road while driving so fast that you fly through a tractor trailer
great idea faggot
>>
I guess 480 owners aren't the only ones having to deal with bad crashes and no drivers.
>>
>>55349850
Doesn't the car have radars and shit to prevent stuff like this from happening?
>>
>>55349866
>only using optical sources of information
>not recording depth information
Frankly, this death was coming a thousand years away.

How could Tesla make such a retarded mistake?
>>
>>55349988
>his car's cameras failed to distinguish the white side of a turning tractor-trailer rig from a brightly lit sky and didn't automatically activate its brakes
>>
Darwinism
>>
>>55349942
people are retarded. Tesla is "level 4" autopilot, meaning you have to everything yourself if something goes wrong. People on the internet are overhyping it, like they do with everything else,. only it's not a GPU or a phone, it's a car and people can die.
>>
>>55350009
Yes I read that. I was under the impression that these self-driving cars relied on more than just fucking cameras (i.e., sonar or radar).
>>
File: 1463787608308.png (73 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
1463787608308.png
73 KB, 803x688
>>55349980
You're still a retard though
>>
File: 1466301371024.jpg (36 KB, 429x423) Image search: [Google]
1466301371024.jpg
36 KB, 429x423
The least believable part of this story is that someone is watching Harry Potter in 2016. The last movie came out half a decade ago.
>>
>>55349994
how do you measure depth without optical sources?
>>
>>55350064
Lasers
>>
>>55350047
>sonar

So its supposed to look for depth charges or some shit nigga lmao
>>
>>55349850
If I bought a Tesla, it wouldn't be for autopilot. I don't trust this robot who relies on a camera with limited dynamic range(like in this case)
>>
>Before Autopilot can be used, drivers have to acknowledge that the system is an "assist feature" that requires both hands on the wheel. Drivers are told they need must be prepared to take over controls, the statement said.
>the Tesla driver was "playing Harry Potter on the TV screen"

Give this man a Darwin award, he deserves it.
>>
>>55350064
While it is technically true that the most obvious form of depth sensor is a time of flight camera, you can also use sonar, radar, or lidar.
I believe the original Kinect has a fancy one that's still a depth camera, but isn't time of flight.
>>
>>55349850
This is hilarious. Futurists btfo.

Looks like we will need those jobs back from China after all.
>>
>>55350061
emma bud
>>
>>55350092
I guess you can't do much when your car wants to kill you...
>>
>>55350064
I believe FLIR may also work in certain circumstances.
>>
>>55349850
>>55349866
This just proves how dangerous Harry Potter is.
>>
>>55350107
you can break. and follow the instructions, instead of trusting your life to an immature technology just to watch Harry Potter

Just think about it, this man thought "Harry Potter is worth more than my life", before taking off.
>>
Fucking faggots. Auto piloted cars for you lazy faggot Americans will never happen. It's even crazier that "beta" autopilot'd cars are even legal to use on public roads.

I worked on military aircraft in the air force for 6 years, and each system has at least one backup, but sometimes shit just goes bad out of nowhere, or systems glitch or stop working. The same can happen in a fucking car and if you think any regular American is going to be paying enough attention when shit hits the fan, you have another thing coming.

This is a country where people can't even stop fucking texting for 10 minutes while they're on the road. The US needs to give up this idea boner for Elon Musks bullshit.
>>
>He acknowledged he couldn't see the movie, only heard it.

what? how do you "hear" a movie while going 60mph down a highway?
>>
>>55350107
are you serious? they literally said the system is a driving-aid, not a full driver replacement. the car didnt kill him, he killed himself with his negligence.
>>
>>55350129
Or you could just drive it yourself instead of relying on mass manufactured cars. Do they even know if a sensor will work as intended after their cars leave factory?
>>
>>55350081
I've seen blind people that could get around by clicking their tongues and listening for the sound bouncing off objects in their environment. You could probably do something similar with computers and ultrasonic pings or something.
>>
>>55349850
>have self driving car
>make the fucker drive fast enough to drive through a trailer
Why the fuck?
>>
>>55350129
>break
>>
Wow, who would want to die watching a shit movie? Should have at least picked something good
>>
>>55350219
>brake
>>
>>55350205
Perhaps tesla should install blind people
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=9I5rraWJq6E

"Once the roads merged, the truck tried to get to the exit ramp on the right and never saw my Tesla. I actually wasn't watching that direction and Tessy (the name of my car) was on duty with autopilot engaged. I became aware of the danger when Tessy alerted me with the "immediately take over" warning chime and the car swerving to the right to avoid the side collision.... Tessy did great. I have done a lot of testing with the sensors in the car and the software capabilities. I have always been impressed with the car, but I had not tested the car's side collision avoidance. I am VERY impressed. Excellent job Elon!... Note 2: In case you're curious, I'm listening to an audiobook in the background. It's a Malcolm Gladwell book (excellent book)."

This guy was just a death waiting to happen. Even right in his videos description he notes that he wasn't paying any attention to the road, and was daydreaming about his fucking audiobook.

Now he's sucking Elon Musks dick in hell.
>>
>>55350047
It's hardly a self driving car like what google has been developing.

It's mostly just cruise control with lane correction and automatic breaking. Nothing smart about it that can handle freak situations.
>>
>>55350047
they do rely on that stuff, just not for the very specific situation that occurred here.
>>
>>55349850
Do you look before posting at all retard!?
>>55344346
>>
>>55350315
not if they get payed in (you)
>>
>>55350183
I'm sorry you have the reading comprehension of child.
>>
>>55350315
>2 out of 150 threads are about the same thing
>throw a fit
wew lad
>>
>>55350009
oh, then the radar is woman tier driver.
>>
>>55350188
>the car didnt kill him, he killed himself with his negligence
Pretty much. The extra automation of the car failed to save him from being an inattentive moron.

Granted its a small sample size but so far autopilot is ~40% safer than a human driver right now with one death in 130 million miles vs the average of 94. And all the cars will get to learn from this.
>>
>>55350152
I'm not letting the dumbfucks ruin it for the rest of us.

Seeing as this guy was some Tesla advocate, he was clearly overly confident in his car at his own demise. >>55350283

>>55350205
The car has ultrasonic sensors. They have limited range and therefore aren't used for preventing these collisions. Radar is used for that, but Musk suggests overhead objects are assumed to be signs and could have been what caused this. I'm baffled that such low objects (compared to overhead signs that sit far higher accommodate trucks) aren't interpreted as an obstacle. Others are suggesting it was the truck's reflective surface that confused the radar.
>>
What's the point of this if you need both hands on the wheel?
>>
File: 1458778373362.jpg (9 KB, 186x208) Image search: [Google]
1458778373362.jpg
9 KB, 186x208
>>55350121
My ultra conservative Catholic Parents were right all along?
>>
>>55350389
>Granted its a small sample size but so far autopilot is ~40% safer than a human driver right now with one death in 130 million miles vs the average of 94.
>>
File: l.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1512) Image search: [Google]
l.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1512
>>55350393
>393▶
>File: 1458778373362.jpg (9 KB, 186x208)
>>>55350121
>Interrogation Marks
>>
>>55350389
Highway driving is boring, so you can zone out a little (but not watch a god damn movie).
>>
>>55350389
You only need to put your hands on the wheel if it loses certainty in where the road is. You're probably thinking of the Volvo version.
>>
>>55350393
As always, the wise Catholics were right about the dangers of Harry Potter. For how much longer are we going to sit idly, as "Potter rights" activists endanger our people?

We demand Potter control! No more of this "Potter does not kill people, people kill people" nonsense!

Make Roads Great Again! I am with her (against Potter)!
>>
>>55349850
>Brown's published obituary described him as a member of the Navy SEALs for 11 years and founder of a wireless Internet network and camera system company. In Washington, the Pentagon confirmed Brown's work with the SEALs and said he left the service in 2008.
one less. nice.
>>
>>55349866
>canton
That's the real reason he died, he's a fucking retard
>>
>>55349942

Elon Musk in a youtube interview stated outright that scanning lines on the road is a primitive form of artificial intelligence if he cant get that right now then he and his corporation never will.
>>
>>55349850
Mercedes-Benz 2017 E-Class literally has the best automated driving system. This sort of thing will never happen with a Benz. Volvo, too, now that they upped the speed at which you can use it.
>>
>>55349974
Yeah honestly how distracted do you have to be to not notice a fucking semi in the middle of the road and hit the brakes? What was he doing anyway? Mixing martinis?

I read somewhere that teslas are the safest cars on the road with frames that are so solid it broke one of the machines testing it. Is there photos of the crash? That must have been brutal
>>
>>55350773
Probably not. It happened in what sounds like the middle of no where. Furthermore if the roof of the car got sheered off then you can bet the guy got decapitated and so the police are not too eager to release pictures of that.
>>
>>55349980
Top kek
>>
>>55350773
>Yeah honestly how distracted do you have to be to not notice a fucking semi in the middle of the road and hit the brakes?
Another thing that some Tesla owners have been doing is they do this but when they hit the breaks it deactivates auto pilot and the car spins out since nobody is holding the wheel.
>>
>>55350064
Lasers, sonar, radar, Two cameras.
>>
>>55350072
>not optical
>lasers

fucking retard
>>
File: 1443541696130.jpg (261 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1443541696130.jpg
261 KB, 900x900
>auto pilot
FUCK OFFFFF
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I'm already pissed off about manuals going out of style
>>
>>55349866
pfft
>>
>there exists no video of the crash

Fuck. I want to see the look on that faggots face as the side of that trailer comes through his windshield.

>lel I'm in teh futur
>lel in flight movie
>its just like i robot
>>
File: 1466395949558.jpg (71 KB, 569x802) Image search: [Google]
1466395949558.jpg
71 KB, 569x802
ITS A BETA TEST
HE KNEW THE RISKS
>>
>>55349942
>>people are already dying
given the number using it, the death rate is surprisingly low, actually.

it's just scaring idiots that they're not involved in their own deaths, but chances are the sort of person who disregards the safety warnings and watches harry potter in the driver's seat of a *very clearly* unfinished autopilot system was living on borrowed time anyway.
>>
>>55351419
it probably happened so fast that his face didn't reveal the kind of nuanced "oh i made a mistake" shit that you're hoping to see.

even if it did, looking for that from a fatality is really shitty of you. there are plenty of videos of idiots who've merely hurt themselves where you can see the same looks on their faces.

stop pretending to be edgy (or, if you insist on pretending, go back to /b/)
>>
>>55351419
>>lel in flight movie
This part immediately jumped out at me. The story kept drifting from
>He was watching Harry Potter
>Trucker: "Well I only heard it, I didn't see it."
>Tesla: "You can't play movies on the console."
What the fuck is going on here?
>>
File: 1466013774660.jpg (56 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1466013774660.jpg
56 KB, 540x540
>>55349980
11/10
>>
File: 1459514218733.jpg (48 KB, 344x377) Image search: [Google]
1459514218733.jpg
48 KB, 344x377
Is the driver really that retarded or is there a cover up going on
>>
>>55351550
Why not both? The driver sounds like he was a retard. The car sounds like it confused the broad side of a trailer for a road sign. I call it even.
>>
>>55351550
Does this guy seem retarded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TjbqVartjM
>>
>>55350491
Reddit tier humour
>>
>>55351550
as an american, i feel obligated to chime in that drivers in the US are unbelievably (and i really mean "so extreme as to be not believable") bad drivers. they're inattentive, prone to angry responses on the road, and generally quite dangerous.

we have both infrastructure (roads, etc...) and laws (speed limits and whatnot) to limit the damage that drivers can do, but if we catch someone watching a movie in their car we don't take away their licenses. when senile old people mow down a dozen or so people at a farmer's market (this is practically a cliche now), we still have controversy over whether we should maybe think about someday not letting dead people drive. nobody's even close to willing to propose taking licenses away from the elderly.

and if that weren't enough, every state is completely independent in this regard. so while you should get a CA license if you move to CA from NY, you won't get a ticket for at least a while.

the US is just fucking madness on the roads. this also makes it profoundly more dangerous for bicyclists, and the suburban sprawl plaguing most of the US makes being a pedestrian a non-starter, so the culture becomes an arms race where everyone gets a full size car or larger.
>>
>>55351514
He was probably watching it on his phone and had Bluetooth connection to the cars audio.
The movies audio was probably playing from the remains of the vehicle.

I still think this is just as much teslas fault.
They marketed their enhanced cruise control as an actual self driving vehicle. I mean they even named it fucking "autopilot" why would they even do that shit?
>>
>>55349866
I didn't know Harry Potter was still relevant
>>
>>55351486
butthurt faggot
>>
>>55351629
It might be worthwhile to add the other end of the age spectrum: young adults, who are perhaps most motivated to win the independence afforded by driving, are not hammered on by the gravity of the responsibility. In most places the road tests are a joke, the probationary periods are short/unenforced/non-existent and the barrier to entry is relatively low. Kids who don't take driving as a gravely serious task become grown ass adults who give no shits as well.
>>
>>55351664
stop being such a fucking 14-year-old, you fucking autistic faggot.
>>
http://jalopnik.com/volvo-engineer-calls-out-tesla-for-dangerous-wannabe-au-1773519459
>>
>>55351643
I'd be genuinely surprised if the phone, Bluetooth link and audio system all survived the top of the cabin getting sheared off. Especially given that YouTube video where you see his phone in one of those vent clip mounts. I'm not calling 100% bullshit. Just genuine surprise and respect for the manufacturers.

I think Autopilot is a fine name on a technicality, in that it's "auto-matic" and not "auto-nomous." However I still think their implementation is wrong. Just like an aircraft, for example, Mercedes implements enhanced cruise control with multiple levels of engagement. From no hands it'll ding-dong you into "please touch the wheel" mode, and then from there to "both hands on the wheel now" as its confidence in the situation decreases. So yeah, I do still blame Tesla in part, primarily because this guy probably went from 65 to guillotine without any dings or dongs.
>>
>>55351676
that's fair. i think the general takeaway is that the entire culture around driving is a little fucked up, but the institutions that are supposed to determine things like who can drive and who can't are absolutely comatose.

in europe (both the UK and the EU) my sense is that getting a license isn't as trivial as falling out of your bed on a saturday morning, wasting a day in a shitty industrial building, and then winging the practical exam. but that's sort of how it is here (if you're under 18 in many states they try to strongly suggest driver's education but it's absolute shit).

the whole system is incredibly leaky.
>>
>>55350098
Quite the opposite. Tesla has brought more domestic jobs to the US in recent years than any other outsourcing automotive we company.
http://www.rgj.com/story/money/reno-rebirth/2015/06/15/gigafactory-jobs-list-description-requirements-apply/71135096/
>>
>>55349980
S A V A G E
A
V
A
G
E
>>
>>55351762
I think there are European countries with sufficient corruption to still allow for it. In fact that complicates the "safeguard" in the US that licenses need to be reissued as residence changes. The EU has a standardized license which must only be updated to match a new country of residence upon renewal--either 10 or 15 years from its issuance, depending on where you got it. In the US, as you pointed out, states expect you to change over relatively quickly and the expiration period is generally much shorter than 10-15 years.

There's room for improvement in both regions. I would agree that the changes needed in the US are practical, whereas the ones in the EU are more bureaucratic.
>>
>>55349850
this is why a LIDAR implementation of an autopilot system is superior (but more costly) then a more simply camera based one.

Any pictures of the accident/wreck ?
>>
>>55352006
Apart from cost, isn't LIDAR also terribly more fussy about inclement weather? I know that Tesla sells where I live and we've got a healthy dose of all four seasons. It would have to cope with every form of precipitation including cats and dogs.
>>
Can't wait until apple puts out their cars and they start decapitating faggots and siri starts giving the headless cadavers directions to the nearest emergency room.
>>
>Self driving car
>Doesnt drive self
>>
>>55351737
He ended up going under the side of the semi, which basically took off the top of the car and his upper torso with it

that how the movie ended up still playing
>>
>>55352200
That's what I find impressive. Lopping off the top of the car somehow didn't significantly damage the phone mounted on an air vent, the electronics related to Bluetooth pairing nor the audio system of the car. (Unless it did and the only survivor was the phone, which reverted to its own speaker once BT disconnected. I actually hadn't considered that before and it's far less surprising now.)
>>
>>55352224
i mean if you imagine where wiring and whatnot would go, i can't fathom how it would all run through the upper part of the car.

i'm somewhat surprised that the car didn't kind of fold inward with the top off. i figured the batteries at the bottom weighed a lot and needed the top to keep the whole thing sort of held up, but i guess not that either.
>>
>>55350198
>Do they even know if a sensor will work as intended after their cars leave factory?
Yes and the sensor worked as intended, just the software didn't interpret it correctly.
>>
>implying that will stop me from buying the 30k tesla

Nice try primitive shills
>>
>>55350751
Well it still hasn't gotten that wrong at least.
>>
>>55352283
Why would this turn off anyone from buying a Tesla? I'm not going to tell people to avoid buying PCs just because they can use TeamViewer if they find it convenient. That, and its attendant risks, are on their shoulders. They could just as easily not use the dangerous feature and enjoy their computer just like everyone else does.
>>
>>55349980
ice
fucking
cold
>>
File: 146240439637.jpg (35 KB, 375x325) Image search: [Google]
146240439637.jpg
35 KB, 375x325
As someone against all this let's hand the wheel to machine I think this is a godsend, here's hoping for more of this.
>>
>>55352358
Nah you're just a poorfag

T. Fellow poorfag
>>
>>55352358
a lot of stuff is left to the machine. why is steering and acceleration so objectionable to you when gear shifting and all this other shit is fine?

i'm not even a staunch advocate of this stuff, but rejecting it on this principle seems kind of stupid to me.
>>
>>55352358
its not going to stop anything. we just now know that people are will to die for this shit
>>
>>55352373
>why is steering and acceleration so objectionable to you when gear shifting and all this other shit is fine?
Because with no control of the first 2 you'll surely die. The other shit is fine because you still keep control of the car, you're only handing secondary stuff to the car like ABS, traction control and gear shifting, power steering doesn't really interfere either. All those can fail and you still have control of your car.
>>
>>55350064
Most vehicles have Sensor rating 2, which means you can pick Camera and Ultrasound sensors for free. And I don't really see why would you choose anything else.
>>
>>55352507
you're casting a false dichotomy where you give up any possible intervention on the driver's part. self-driving modes can disengaged trivially, just like cruise control.

you're also significantly downplaying the seriousness of losing ABS in inclement weather, power steering at high speeds, and myriad other automatic features in conditions we typically consider mundane.
>>
Autopilot deaths: 1
Manualpilot deaths: countless

And yet this will be spun as the death of autopilot.
>>
>>55350064
dick
>>
>>55349850
>entrusting your life to AI in 2016
>>
>>55352373
I think that it's best that gear shifting, maintaining traction, and threshold braking are left to the driver, who should be highly trained before being licensed.

>>55352949
Power steering (and braking) has until recently been hydraulic assist. Overly-assisted power steering sucks, and fly-by-wire power steering is the fucking worst.
>>
>>55350359
Get a tin of that stealth tech paint and go around painting it on power poles. Fun times!
>>
>>55352970
>auto pilot shill in full damage control mode

Invest the energy you spend on rage when being blown the fuck out on learning how to drive you degenerate.
>>
>>55352970
Peoples reaction to hearing a driver had an accident:
>He was an idiot.
>He shouldn't be on the road.
>I'm a better driver than him, it doesn't concern me.
>IT WON'T HAPPEN TO ME.
Peoples reaction to hearing a $70000 autopilot-enabled car (where each owner has to show that he is aware that the autopilot feature is still being tested and cannot be used without human supervision) caused a fatal accident:
>I'm going to get rich in the next year, this will affect me!
>The computers are trying to kill us all!
>Skynet is real!
>WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!
>>
>>55351514
judging from the video of the same guy here >>55350283 it could very well have just been the audio book for Harry Potter, not the movie
>>
>>55349850
AI they said
Safe they said
>>
File: 1466395285067.png (41 KB, 152x254) Image search: [Google]
1466395285067.png
41 KB, 152x254
TOP KEK
>>
>>55351737
> all survived the top of the cabin getting sheared off
B-but they told me Teslas were super durable.
>>
>>55349850
“This is the first known fatality in just over 130 million miles where Autopilot was activated,” Tesla said, adding, “Among all vehicles in the US, there is a fatality every 94 million miles.

still safer overall than if it was a human.
>>
>>55349866
>he driver of the tractor-trailer and owner of Okemah Express LLC, said the Tesla driver was "watching Harry Potter on the TV screen"

how the fuck does he even know that?
>>
>>55354171
you know people have asked this in this thread, right?

read the thread. and please don't fucking complain like you're being put out for having to skim a few posts to look for an answer to a question you ostensibly want answered.
>>
>>55354198
I have read and there's no mention of it now fuck off
>>
>>55350283
>Even right in his videos description he notes that he wasn't paying any attention to the road, and was daydreaming about his fucking audiobook.
In what world do you live in where people don't listen to the radio in car?
>>
>>55349980
underrated post
>>
>>55350491
*tips fedora*
>>
>>55350061
They still stock HP shirts in the Walmart Junior's section, for teenage girls who never found anything better. The more retarded thing is 40 year old watching it, he was completely grown ass when HP mania was a thing.
>>
>>55351737
Teslas give out warnings too if you don't hold the steering wheel.

https://youtu.be/R_jcl0Lk-1w?t=33s
>>
>>55350283
> I actually wasn't watching that direction and Tessy (the name of my car)

Wow.
>>
>>55350061
>makes fun of watching ancient media that grown people would never watch
>posts anime
>>
>see thread title
>person wasn't killed by the tractor trailer
>person was killed because of their own fucking stupidity
>Darwin Award winner
>>
>a tractor trailer was crossing a highway

Americans have crossings on highways? That seems utterly retarded
>>
>trusting a machine
His own fucking fault.
Can't blame Tesla for this.
>>
File: 0e9.jpg (27 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
0e9.jpg
27 KB, 600x600
>>55349850
>bleeding edge technology
>>
>>55349850
Tesla is absolutely to blame for this, and they absolutely deserve to go down for that. How they could market such a primitive system at all, is beyond me.
>>
>>55356593
the amount of sheer ignorance on /g/ when this topic crops up is absolutely gob-smacking.

in absolute terms, he trusted machines an almost negligible amount more than you do on a daily basis. in this particular confluence of circumstances, it resulted in his death.
>>
>>55356848
they make it abundantly clear that it's not to be used without human supervision. simply occupying the driver's seat doesn't constitute supervision.

Tesla will probably take some flack for this, but assigning blame to them is absolutely retarded. i'm not an advocate of self-driving cars but this is sheer negligence on the driver's part.
>>
>>55356911
>implying I trust a machine with a job that I can do by myself and do better
>implying I trust machines with my life
>implying I'm ignorant or retarded enough to not be careful around machines that are bigger and faster than I am
Kill yourself, pleb.
>>
>>55357038
>implying a trust machines with my life
you do. all the goddamn time. you're just apparently too stupid to recognize your relationship with technology unless it's operating a motor within 5 feet of you.
>>
>>55349850
avada kedavra x----DD
>>
This is what happens when you use proprietary software, you aren't allowed to improve the autopilot feature so that stuff like this doesn't happen :^)
>>
>>55357056
Explain your delusions you nigger.

>inb4 twisted freetard logic
Alright bud, let me level with you. Software isn't ever going to kill you like a physical machine would.
>>
File: product_1868.jpg (25 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
product_1868.jpg
25 KB, 600x600
>>55350064
>>
>>55356911
>an almost negligible around more than you do

Call me an absolute madman. But barring EXTREMELY wet read conditions, I'm pretty sure the loss of power steering or ABS while I'm still paying attention to the car is going to be far less impactful to my status as living than IGNORING THE ROAD and relying solely on "autopilot".

What he did is hardly "marginal". He saw that his car had a feature labeled "autopilot" and took it to it's logical extreme by ignoring the road and any other potential dangers. He trusted machines way more than most people would, and the responses you're getting so pissy and triggered about are evidence of that.
>>
>watching a movie while behind the wheel.
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>55351592
I don't get what you're trying to prove with this video, how does it showcase that he's retarded?
>>
File: str.jpg (21 KB, 624x351) Image search: [Google]
str.jpg
21 KB, 624x351
>>55350064
>>
>>55349980
hehehehe
>>
>>55349980
kek
>>
File: isis.png (1 MB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
isis.png
1 MB, 1280x1024
>be navy seal
>fight jihadis all over the world
>get beheaded by a car
>>
>>55361187
>Meanwhile in the log
printf("%s", "Alluh Ackbar")
>>
>>55354206

>>55349866
>"It was still playing when he died and snapped a telephone pole a quarter mile down the road," Baressi said in an in an interview from his home in Palm Harbor, Florida. He acknowledged he couldn't see the movie, only heard it.

make like an autopilot and kill yourself, you literal brain dead retard.
>>
>>55356460
and nothing of value was lost
>>
>>55350047
car has a minimal set of sensors. Indeed it is just adaptive cruise control +. The sensor that would see the trailer was slightly off and couldn't see it.
>>
>>55351463
>given the number using it, the death rate is surprisingly low, actually.

the mystery of precaution. almost all of the crashes in conventional cars are easily preventable.
>>
>>55351629
prone to angry responses is a global problem. It's true though that the attentiveness is often close to zero, especially on highways. dull broad roads - what could go wrong? driving a chore and not a task.
>>
>>55353745
since autopilots are supposed to be trusted one day, this is indeed a setback.
>>
>>55349850
1 man died in how many million miles driven compared to human driven death wagons?
>>
>>55351762

well some european countries are the other extreme. getting your licence will be like getting an animal with a claw machine, even after you have had plenty of classes.
>>
>Watching movie while on autopilot
>Fast enough to clip off a telephone pole a quarter mile past the semi trailer.
Is this what they mean by "insane mode"?
>>
I think the issue here is not that people still die in self driving cars, the issue is that the reason here is completely technical. Sure, if other people fuck up, even the computer can't do much against it, so you'd expect that. But an autopilot that fully relies on the dynamic range of a camera being sufficiently high to make all objects discernible? That is just careless. You need to have more robust sensors in a car before introducing a system like that. Shifting the responsibility to the driver who supposedly needs to be vigilant at all times is just naive. You simply cannot expect that.
>>
>>55350393
>interrogation marks
>>
File: qzlSxgZ.jpg (111 KB, 634x861) Image search: [Google]
qzlSxgZ.jpg
111 KB, 634x861
>>55350283
if anyone called me Tessy i would end him too.
>>
>>55362431
1 is unacceptable.
>>
>>55349850
YOURA WIZARD HARRY

>>55349866
>>The first person to die in a U.S. crash involving a car in self-driving mode was the tech-savvy 40-year-old owner of a Tesla Model S who nicknamed his car "Tessy" and praised its sophisticated "Autopilot" system.

MACFAG BUYS CAR

TECHNOLOGY BRAND CULTISTS ARE ALL THE SAME
>>
Why is the truck driver, who crossed a highway without checking for cross traffic, not being talked about?
>>
>>55353627
Kekked hard
>>
>>55362431
why should we ban legally blind people? I know plenty that drive better than the aggressive hoodlums that are allowed to drive. not fair
>>
The driver of the truck is at fault for not yielding like you are supposed to when merging.

The driver who was apparently "tech savvy" was really a middle aged dad who had the funds to buy stupid shit.

Elon Musk is at fault for creating these abortions and calling them cars. Then his "company" had the nerve to call cruise control "auto-pilot."

I have driven a Tesla, the "auto-pilot" is no different than a high end Mercedes cruise control.
Tesla should be sued to shit for this terrible advertising.

Also: thank you based god for setting back self driving for at least another decade.
>>
>>55362614
because rural tractors blocking the road is the oldest tale you could imagine. Almost like there was dust in wyoming. NEWs
>>
>>55362673
why? you don't want to save lives?
>>
>>55362727
aut/o/bot here. I just want to drive my damn cars and be left alone.

If people were all mandated to own small manual cars and actually learn how to drive to get a license we wouldn't have nowhere near as many deaths in the US as we do.
>>
>>55362614
BECAUSE RETARDED DRIVERS HAPPEN, EVERY HOUR OF EVERY DAY

THIS AUTOPILOT SOFTWARE IS STILL TOO PRIMITIVE TO DEAL WITH THE REAL WORLD

THE ONLY WAY TO STOP IT IS TO GO FULL TOTALITARIANISM AND BAN ALL INDIVIDUALISTIC STEERING WHEELS

NO CHANCE OF THE UNPREDICTABLE

WHICH IS GOOGLE'S UTOPIA, FUCKING SKYNET

EAT SHIT, I'M DRIVING MY OWN CAR
>>
>>55362673
>merging
The article claims he cross the highway. In some rural areas the highways actually have intersections but you usually are suppose to yield to highway traffic
>>
>>55362768
My bad, I am familiar with this I live in rural Indiana. Either way the truck driver should have been more aware of what he was doing.

The tesla loser should have been driving his toy instead of letting "auto-pilot" more commonly known as CRUISE CONTROL do it for him.

Tesla should be shut down for being dumb enough to call a cruise control "auto-pilot."
>>
>>55362761
>THIS AUTOPILOT SOFTWARE IS STILL TOO PRIMITIVE TO DEAL WITH THE REAL WORLD

1 death in literally millions of miles its the most advanced and safest form of travel behind flight.
>>
>>55362824

all those millions were supervised, driven in perfect conditions on chosen streets

meaningless
>>
>>55362824
>KILLED BY A DEFECTIVE COMPUTER PROGRAM

IF THIS GUY WASN'T SUCH A TESLA FUCCBOI THE LAWSUIT WOULD BANKRUPT THEM
>>
>>55362848
Is that true? I thought the number was from the cars on the road right now since they all wireless beam driving information to Tesla
>>
>>55356848
It's adaptive cruise control for cruising down a highway, they tell you that you still have to keep your hands on the wheel and whatnot, it's just to let you relax and enjoy the drive more on long distance commute type stuff.
>>
>>55362673
the guy was actually /g/, did electronics and tech and stuff

https://www.youtube.com/user/NexuJosh
>>
>>55362851
I'm 100% sure this will stop nobody from buying a statement.
>>
>>55362727
if this is the goal then the current climate is horrendous. The autodriving is so early that the only SAFE combination is driver PLUS computer at the moment, so nothing of that "automated driving" experience google et al promote so much.
>>
>>55362851
I think it would be hilarious if he had a will that said "If I die in a Tesla autopilot accident do not sue Tesla on my behalf"
>>
>>55362882
buying a tesla I mean
>>
>>55362874
Tesla REQUIRES the drivers to supervise the car at all times so accidents like this don't happen.

The miles are then counted.
>>
>>55350092
Tesla also made a statement saying that movies couldn't be played on the touch screen.
>>
>>55349980
lmao
>>
File: 1462022017732.jpg (1 MB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1462022017732.jpg
1 MB, 1440x1080
>>55349850

If you are selling the product to the general public, it's not the fucking beta anymore.

I wish this early access meme would die.
>>
File: 1464354959653.png (1 MB, 1100x1200) Image search: [Google]
1464354959653.png
1 MB, 1100x1200
>>55362919

>Requires driver to supervise the car at all times
>Calls the feature ''autopilot''

Autopilot, automated pilot

They are not calling it advanced cruise control with lane swapping. Because they are retard millenials who wanted the exposure. Well, now they got it.

And don't bring up the plane autopilots. Pilots are skilled professionals, who know the limitations of the technology, where as the user of a tesla is a fucktard normie who could pay $100k for a car.
>>
>>55349850
Tessy did the right thing.
>>
File: trilobyte.jpg (102 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
trilobyte.jpg
102 KB, 970x545
his cv is pretty insane. the guy was EOD, navy seals, had studied physics/ee. you would think someone like that would be more paranoid/careful
>>
>>55362407

Toasters are trusted and yet they still kill people.

Ban all toasters!
>>
>>55352358
I'm with you brother.

One software error is all we need for a Tesla to drive into a wall.

>>55352367
>tfw being poorfag feels good
>>
>>55365042

they kill stupid people. Not people that put their toast and then standby.

If they do, they must be removed from the market.
>>
>>55349850
hahahhaha the guy deserved it

fuckin harry potter

tesla drivers confirmed for being faggots
>>
>>55357241
software operates machines
>>
>driving new Tesla car
>suddenly the doors lock and you can't move the peddles or steering wheel
>the car speed increases to 80...90...120 miles per hour
>green encryption text flashes over the windshield
>husky Russian voice says that you have 30 seconds to pay for the Bitcoin ransom
>die
>Tesla says "don't worry guys it's just a beta"
>>
>>55350064
ever heard of fucking radio waves?
>>
>>55362614
Because anyone actually monitoring the road would have seen it and slowed down if necessary.

Step outside of your basement once in a while.
>>
>>55354037
nigga I doubt any car would survive the impact of a solid beam of steal being swung at a high speed at the roof. unless you're driving a fucking racecar with a roll cage, I bet any car's roof would get sheared off
>>
>>55362690
>rural tractor
It was a semi.
>>
File: cromwell.jpg (46 KB, 600x419) Image search: [Google]
cromwell.jpg
46 KB, 600x419
>>55365492
pretty much.

nothing short of a tank would survive that
>>
>>55357069
kek
>>
>>55349994
His driving record was horrible. Like 8 speeding tickets in 6 years.
>>
>>55366708
Only speeding tickets? And only 8 in 6 years? That's far from horrible.
>>
>>55366729
Not that guy, but averaging over 1 a year means you are fucking retarded.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rh3EQKiyKE

>guy who died posted a video of how to trick the "keep your hands on the steering wheel" requirement

kek
>>
>>55366757
Not at all
>>
>>55350183
I'll try to explain this to you but you're like a triple fuck up or something. The truck driver heard it playing after the crash hence the video must have been destroyed in the crash but the audio was still working and yes, you can hear a movie playing while doing 60mph considering the windows are rolled up in a practically sound proof state of the art vehicle.
>>
>>55350221
Porn.
>>
This is what you get for sourcing parts made by a asian ceo.
>>
>>55350270
Underrated.
>>
>>55349994
It has LIDAR but the reasoning is that it ignores objects like road signs above the highway.

More interested as to how it still hit a telephone pole, though.
>>
>>55366729
>>55366787

.....and you really think there is no correlation between the traffic infractions and his death? In a vehicle? You fucking idiot.
>>
>>55366892
System probably out of wack after hitting the truck.
>>
>>55367107
>you really think there is no correlation between the traffic infractions and his death?
Would you mind pointing out where I said that? I'll give you a hint: You can't.
>>
>>55349850
ugly license plate
>>
File: 1466510863941.jpg (16 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1466510863941.jpg
16 KB, 320x320
>>55349980

NO SURVIVORS
>>
>>55349980
Fuckin A++
>>
>>55349850
> Frank Baressi, 62, the driver of the tractor-trailer and owner of Okemah Express LLC, said the Tesla driver was "playing Harry Potter on the TV screen" and driving so quickly that "he went so fast through my trailer I didn't see him."
> "It was still playing when he died and snapped a telephone pole a quarter mile down the road," Baressi said in an in an interview from his home in Palm Harbor, Florida. He acknowledged he couldn't see the movie, only heard it.

> Tesla Motors Inc. said it is not possible to watch videos on the Model S touch screen.

> Preliminary reports indicate the crash occurred when Baressi's rig turned left in front of Brown at an intersection of a divided highway where there was no traffic light, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said. Brown died at the scene just southwest of Gainesville, the Florida Highway Patrol reported.

I'm betting it was the tractor-trailer's fault and he's lying out of his arse to cover himself. His story doesn't check out as soon as he said the other driver was watching Harry Potter. You can't watch movies on them Tesla. Also the preliminary reports does say the Tractor trailer turned left right in front of the Tesla.
>>
>>55349980
That was funny. You're still a faggot, but that was funny.
>>
>>55362673
His manned spaceflight missions are going to be good. Grab some popcorn.
>>
>>55362673
So if I named pickle slicer the "the penis tickler" and it had warnings saying if you stick your dick in it your penis will be cut off, you would stick your penis in it?
>>
>fucks Tessy every night to make sure she has enough in her semen capacitors to keep her happy
>forgets to fuck her one night because he's organising his Harry Potter collection
>due to low semen content and low happiness, she kills them both during a drive
Let this be a lesson to you all.
Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.