[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Broken wii to gaming pc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 400x300
Hey /diy/, I have a broken wii sitting around collecting dust, and I thought, "hmm, maybe I can turn this into a pc!"

Trouble is, I know jack shit about the wii, it's hardware, or how to change the firmware and software.

My end goal is a wifi running a desktop os on the wii's hardware.

So, thoughts? Help? Anything????
Is this even possible?

Pic semi-related
>>
File: NEXT!.png (863 KB, 630x350) Image search: [Google]
NEXT!.png
863 KB, 630x350
>Is this even possible?
no.
>>
>>962792
Wii (gamecube and WiiU) is powerpc based architecture
Otherwise known as incompatible with every program that you would want to run on it

Letter bomb that bullshit and pirate every game for it
http://please.hackmii.com/
>>
The wiis hardwate sucks.. Most mobile phones are more powerful
>>
>>962799
powerPC is better though. in every way. except you cant run windows on it.
>>
>>962799
>Letter bomb that bullshit and pirate every game for it

Animal Crossing City Folk
>>
>>962799

Not OP, but would this open the possibility of running games off a hard drive? My Wii won't read discs anymore, despite me replacing every electronic piece in the drive and checking the connections to the mobo.
>>
>>964403
Yes
You just need to install a loader, mine uses usbloader gx
>>
>>964433
Seconded. Usbloader gx, a dead laptop's drive, and a caddy. Mine autoboots to gx, so if I'm using a GameCube controller I don't have to plug in a wiimote for the system menu.
>>
File: wiilinux[1].jpg (2 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
wiilinux[1].jpg
2 MB, 3072x2304
>>962796
>>Is this even possible?
>no.

>>962799
>Wii (gamecube and WiiU) is powerpc based architecture
>Otherwise known as incompatible with every program that you would want to run on it
>>
>>964403
I have homebrew channel and USB loader gx.
I run WBFS and ISO files off of an external hard drive. One of the portable Western Digital ones.
I have also run them off of a flash drive before I got the drive. Perfect for a wii with bad disc drive.

Just be weary, some externals and flash drives have issues. There was a list of compatible ones somewhere
>>
>>964482
>desktop PC
>Linux
Good luck playing COD fagit
>>
File: oh dear.png (131 KB, 756x326) Image search: [Google]
oh dear.png
131 KB, 756x326
>>964510
>Wii
>Good luck playing COD fagit
Oh, anon...
>>
>>964482
>incompatible with everything you would WANT to run on it
>linux
nothing out of order here
>>
Install gentoo
>>
What I would do is snip the Ir sensor, wire it to my psu (gaming pc) and get dolphin running and configure the wii mote. Always wanted do that. Fuck wasting cash on wii though. Sorry it's out context but that's one cool idea for an obsolete wii.
>>
>>964550
>>964482
>>964528
Ha, it's /g/ all over again...

>>965162
oh look it is /g/

Go to >>>/g/
And they'll send you to >>>/v/

If you want decent modern game comparable hardware you're gonna need to buy it new. Or learn assembly, and get a lot of silicone if you want to diy it... But by the time your done it will already be obsolete.
>>
It IS technically possible to install Debian
>>
>>965842
Install gentoo
>>
>>965906
Here's your (you)
>>
>>962792
If you want it as a gaming pc you need to
A. Case Mod. Take out the Wii Hardware and reuse the case for pc parts that can fit into it.
B. Find a way to install Linux and just use remote desktop software.
C. Install a Raspberry Pi 2/3 (or any other SoC board) into it, install Linux, and again, use a remote desktop software or use emulators and play roms.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.