[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one begin to design their own tiny house...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: uHauledTinyHome.png (110 KB, 309x174) Image search: [Google]
uHauledTinyHome.png
110 KB, 309x174
I'd like to design ( and then build ) my own tiny house but have no clue where to begin. I have ideas ( protective window shutters with solar panels that close over the window for travel but can open/angle downward so the solar panels can collect light ) but have no clue how to incorporate them into a blueprint. That assumes something like that even belongs in a blueprint; I'm pretty fucking clueless and need all the help I can get.

Pic semi-related: a random tiny house being towed by a uHaul.
>>
File: ShuttersExterior.png (145 KB, 397x397) Image search: [Google]
ShuttersExterior.png
145 KB, 397x397
Hi again, anon.

I just found this image and wanted to share it; I was thinking of something along these lines but with solar panels that would face the window when closed to keep them safe during travel. I was also thinking it would be nice if, when facing outward, the shutters could be tilted at an angle to help catch sunlight. I don't know if I would need a track system for something like that though.

But my guess is that is a bit far off into the future. For now I just need to know where to start in the design process. Would I use MS Paint with a grid and/or grid paper and just go over everything foot by foot?
>>
File: concrete piers and plan.jpg (119 KB, 1035x887) Image search: [Google]
concrete piers and plan.jpg
119 KB, 1035x887
in 2005 i set out to build my tiny house. This pic was my inspiration. the rest was just my knowledge of building full size houses to set all the infrastructure together (electrical, plumbing etc.)

i didnt do plans, i just made up everything in my head as i went along.
>>
>>916363
Learn how to make your own panels. Save lots of cash by making a 40'x40' panel in one go then cut shapes as required. Then rivet/screw/bolt them into place(locktight if bolting).

A panel is something like buying a long piece of weatherproof plastic and adding layers of material like floor polish/polyurethane and the like. Application pending.

Exterior should be metal or wood.
>brown paper bag flooring is easiest polyurethane applicator
>>
>>916363
>I'd like to design ( and then build ) my own tiny house but have no clue where to begin....
>Pic semi-related: a random tiny house being towed by a uHaul.

Well first off--at least in the USA--the reason that you always see tiny houses built on trailers is that (in USA-land) most normal housing codes don't apply to RV's or temporary structures.
So the reason all these people built their tiny houses on a trailer is not to move it around (tho that is possible); they did it to dodge a bunch of housing code construction requirements that would have prevented them entirely from building their tiny house the way they wanted it.

>>916394
>Learn how to make your own panels.
If you mean photo-voltaic panels, I'd say that's not the common opinion.

Commercially-manufactured solar panels are vacuum-sealed to prevent moisture from getting into them and corroding all the metal parts. I have read that Tedlar is the plastic normally used but there may be other plastics....
If you want a solar panel that will be totally trouble-free for 20-25 years, buy a panel already-made from a factory.
If you want to build a solar panel then have fun, but you will spend almost as much as a commercial panel will cost, and you will see condensation inside it prolly in the first year, and it's not likely to go 5 years without some portion of it failing (possibly causing the whole panel output to fail). Unless you live in a desert--the solder runs will often corrode right off the cells, and this is not something that is easy to fix.
>>
>>916363
What you need for a blueprint is basically the layout of the permanent parts of the house. So walls, window locations, door frame, plumbing fixtures, light locations fridge location, etc.

I strongly suggest you start by designing and dimensioning the layout inside the house. Where will the bed go, are you doing a loft space, is the kitchen area going to be a european style open shower, or are you going to have space set aside for it, where will you put the toilet, folding chairs or built in wall bench? fold down table or commiting the space for it?

How are you going to insulate it? heat it? what kind of plumbing hookup are you going to use?
It's less important with a regular house, but every square foot is important in a tiny house, whether for storage or living space.

So yeah, top down first, do one with and one without the loft space if you have one.
remember to allocate space for the framing, exterior house walls are traditionally 2x6 framing, so allocate at least 8-12 inches on each side for the wall thickness.
You also may want to insulate more, tiny houses have a LOT of surface area/volume, and not a lot of space for a good heating system. Also, think about insulating the floor when you build it.

>>916363
I think a better plan if you're going to be doing hinges would be to have solar panels on the roof that fold in half to make an awning. So one solar panel covers 2/3rds of the roof, the other one (same size) is on a hinged frame and drops down to make an awning of 2/3rds of it, supported by 1/3rd of the roof and the frame. This will still have your protective idea thing, but will be much simpler to build and already be angled for sun (plan for how to park the house for that).
TLDR:
Look up plans on building a shed/workshop, build a shed on a trailer, adjust plans to include insulation, plumbing, and electrical.
>>
>>916426
Why don't you fuck off
>>
File: P51220-223454.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
P51220-223454.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
rate my geodesic design. left dome is 5 meter right is 8 meter. plan to build in 5-7 years
>>
>>917928
Use earth bags and hempcrete maaaann
>>
>>917928
make a dick shaped one
>>
>>917581
This board is about sharing knowledge about DIY for those who need or have it. If you wanna be toxic about something go play league of legends.
>>
>>917928
fort peanut
>>
Would it be possible to have the panels on a slide with some sort of tilting mechanism
>>
The most primal idea is look at a garden shed and work off that. Small structures and wood go hand in hand.
>>
>>916363
Container homes are the best and easy to convert into a tiny house.
>>
>>918312
Bullshit. With a shipping container, you still have to frame walls in order to fit insulation. You have moisture issues since you effectively have vapor barrier on the cold side of the wall. Every door, window, vent, etc, has to be cut through 12~14 gauge steel.
>>
>>918325
Never intended it to be a work free endeavo,r of course there will be adjustments, cutting, installation of insulation, and such, but from my experience it as worth it. I utilized my metal cutter and had no trouble converting my container home into a cabin where is now in my woods.
>>
>>918312
>>918325
Here we go with that shipping container bullshit.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.