[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: _20160629_185535.jpg (817 KB, 1622x2160) Image search: [Google]
_20160629_185535.jpg
817 KB, 1622x2160
What do I do guys. I got thermal paste all over the top of my cpu when I installed my heat sink. Was I supposed to leave something on top of the cpu? Did I ruin my computer?
>>
Also, is there any way to fix it so that thermal paste doesn't get on my cpu when I put my heat sink on again?
>>
File: coolface trollface mask.png (49 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
coolface trollface mask.png
49 KB, 604x453
>>
Just kill yourself.
>>
>>1015477
Never change /diy/.
>>
Alright. Im stupid. I get that now. Id be okay with everyone here knowing that im the biggest retard around.
>>
>>1015470
You need to put the INTEL sticker on the cpu before putting the heat sink
>>
>>1015490
And add a dab of superglue on both sides of the sticker.
>>
>>1015490
Are you serious? Because that sounds painfully wrong. And ive never seen nor heard of anyone doing that
>>
>>1015494
CPU.
drop of thermal paste on TOP of CPU
heatsink

the thermal paste should smoosh out like in OP pic once the heat sink is pushed on it.
>>
>>1015492
Alright, now I know you're fucking with me
>>
>anikanshitposting.gif
>>
File: urwF6v3[1].png (950 KB, 931x519) Image search: [Google]
urwF6v3[1].png
950 KB, 931x519
>>1015494
That is normal practice
>>
>>1015470
At least call it something else other than thermal paste
>>
>>1015500
Literally what good could that small piece of plastic even do
>>
>>1015503
stop the thermal paste leaking/shorting the cpu
>>
>>1015470
Jesus, you are supposed to put it on the BOTTOM of the CPU.
The sticker goes on top as the TIM
>>
File: qS6Si7h.webm (1 MB, 550x310) Image search: [Google]
qS6Si7h.webm
1 MB, 550x310
>>1015470
>cpu gets hot
>cpu transfers heat to heat sink
>heat sink dissipates heat
>thermal paste fills in microscopic cracks in the two mating surfaces to make heat transfer better

>was I supposed to leave something on top of the CPU

Yeah, thermal paste and a heat sink
>>
>>1015503
It acts as a choke to remove RF currents from nearby computers/appliances, AND helps the CPU make a seal with the heatsink.
You have to be trolling at this point.
>>
>>1015503
Also, those special stickers have a very low thermal resistance, so it helps conduct the heat. If you don't believe me, google "thermal sticker". Intel produces the thinnest ones out there and sometimes puts them on good laptops to advertise their brand.
>>
>>1015470
its fine dude why did you have to take up a thread for it

my retard friend ran his pc for a week without thermal paste when he first built it and its still running 3 years later

its gonna be ok anon but please dont come running to us with your problems anymore
>>
>>>/g/
>>
>>1015496
No, no, the cpu gets hot and that sometimes makes the adhesive on the sticker get all melty.

The super glue makes sure it won't slip out.
>>
>>1015593
>tells people to go to /g/
>cant read /g/s sticky
>cant understand that this isnt a request

You are as braindead as OP is
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.