[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ask the LawFag anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 2
File: lawfag.jpg (9 KB, 150x239) Image search: [Google]
lawfag.jpg
9 KB, 150x239
Happy weekend /adv/ocates, and hoidays to my Leaf brothers and Murrican neighbours too. Ask me anything. If it's a specific legal question, tell me what country you're in. I've been posting on other boards today, so tell me if you think I'm straight dope or on glue. If you have an opinion.
>>
Typo on holidays, I suppose. I've been drinking. Sue me.
>>
>>17317499
>I've been drinking
So what else is new in the legal world?
>>
Fuck off with your shitty threads
>>
>>17317506
My shitty threads stay on page one because of cumrags like you. Keep it up.
>>
>>17317506
Nah nah I'll bite.

>>17317307
From the UK, going off around Eastern Europe.

What happens if a) I lose my passport
or b) Pussy out and want to come crying home but have no money
>>
>>17317503
Other than drinking? Not much, but thanks for asking. I'm hearing rumblings in Canada about child support recipients having to claim that as taxable income, but the payers can't deduct it. Right now, it's tax neutral so it's not deductible to the payer or inclusive to the recipient as taxable income. I'd be surprised if that happened but I'm not ruling it out either.
>>
>>17317516
Ugh, this is way outside my field of expertise, and I don't want to steer you wrong. You're from UK? If you want, tell me how to send you an emai and I'll give you a link to a site for good info. It's a good site, where you pay but you get good quick info from a UK lawyer for way cheaper than setting up a consult. I'm not trying to shill a referral link here on 4chan.
>>
>>17317554
Aah nah, that's alright, thanks anyway. I guess it's not meant to be. If it vanishes, or I run out of money, I guess I just have to suck it up and face finality.
>>
>>17317557
I wish I could help. But I have no idea. And brexit doesn't make the issue any clearer.
>>
NOT
ADVICE
>>
>>17317574
Sorry, what?
>>
It's a bit of a long read: >>17317342

I'm in Australia.

Is there also a point where it's safe to talk about employment contracts etc.?
>>
>>17317494

Hey OP. Canadafag here. In undergrad right now aiming to get into med school but thinking about law school as a back up. People tell me I am more suited for law because I read/write a lot and think critically. That being said I am wondering if it's possible to be a lawyer that does not go to court. I am not interested in litigation at all or criminal/family law. What law field would be the best for someone who does not want to be in a court room and just wants to do boring paperwork while collecting a good salary?

Please advice.

Law school at UBC and UVIC is also like half the cost of the UBC med so please advise. Thanks.
>>
Hey LawFag,

I was in one of your threads a couple of days ago, the guy from the UK with the elderly neighbour and the, uh, boxes.

He lost conciousness this morning. He's in hospital and they're not expecting him to make it to monday. I've just come home to get a shower then I'm going back up there.

As far as making a will goes, or even getting him to write a note, that ship has now sailed. The boxes are in my possesion now, no one knows I have them or saw me take them, which will probably save some headaches down the road (in fact to the best of my knowledge no one else even knows they exist). So, today's questions are:

1. The best plan I can come up with is to just sit on it (possibly after aquiring a more secure container) for a while and see if anyone comes looking for it - do you reckon two years is long enough?

2. At the end of that period, how do you dispose of that volume of cash without people asking too many questions? I plan on splitting it between a couple of dozen charities, but even then each individual payout will be fairly substantial.
>>
>>17317581
Your dad is right, they should be paying you for this since it's essentially "training". Which you don't do until you're hired and on the payroll. But if you really want the job, in real life you are clearly prepared to jump through some hoops. Perhaps you could ask how long this "extended interview" is going to last, because it's starting to feel like training and you want to know if you should keep looking for work.
>>
>>17317583
Hello LeaFag. Lots of lawyers don't go to court ever. They draft contracts, they do research and drafting of documents and pleadings for the litigators, the do real estate deals, they prepare immigration applications and such, they advise accountants or doctors or other professionals on liability.

You don't have to decide on what you want to do with your law degree before you apply for law school. You can get a law degree and not become a lawyer, rather become a diplomat or join a think tank. It's up to you.

However, don't let the cost of schooling be a factor. If you want to become a doctor then go for it.
>>
>>17317603
Your options have narrowed. You need to see a lawyer near you. They'll keep it confidential, as long as they are retained. That link I sent will help you, but it's not a replacement for retained counsel.
>>
>>17317605
Alrighty thanks man! And yeah I am keen to get this job, but have been having second thoughts thanks to my dad, but wasn't really sure how to broach the topic.

The doc has said things like, "we want you hired by next week" or "after training, we'll arrange for shifts you can do on your own" and I'm sitting there thinking as in, on the payroll or not???

Cos yeah on one hand, I know they don't want me wasting their time, but on the other hand I don't want them wasting MY time if these training sessions isn't guaranteeing me a position
>>
>>17317630
Do you reckon it's morally acceptable to pay the lawyer out of this money, or should I do it out of my own pocket?

I did have a fairly solid plan set up with the help of a guy from that site, however it would seem I was a little too slow putting it in to action.
>>
>>17317494
Is it illegal to not pay your taxes? After all, taxation is theft, and theft is a crime.
>>
>>17317650
By all means, pay the lawyer out of the money you got. You need advice about the money anyway, right? And if anyone comes to you for it you should be ok with having spent some for legal advice given your situation.

Feel free to contact that site guy again, it sounds like you got a good consult.
>>
>>17317675
I'd agree that taxation without representation is theft.

Are you on about the "show me where it says I have to pay muh taxes"? Wesley Snipes might have an answer.
>>
>>17317620

Thanks. You're a nice person.
>>
Is majoring in law worth it (money/time/etc.)? Also what type of law? (Real estate, criminal, etc)
>>
>>17317752
Not OP, but that really depends on where you live, what you're interested in, and whether you realise that a law degree doesn't necessarily mean you have to become a lawyer, among other things.
>>
>>17317752
Previous poster isn't wrong. Where do you live? Is there any aspect of law that you find interesting? How far away are you from applying?
>>
I just rented time on a CNC machine from a local maker space. I'm planning on making 80% AR-15 lowers. Legally, they aren't guns according to the most recent ATF rulings. As long as I report any income, do you see any legal problem coming from me selling the damned things?
>>
>>17317773
Holy crap, people can't read?

Where do you live? And while you're at it, what are you talking about? You're talking about modifying an AR-15 to make it legal for resale?
>>
>>17317819
In the US. I'm only interested in federal laws as I won't be selling in my home state.

Legally, the lower receiver is what the ATF considers a firearm. If you sell firearms, you need an FFL. I do not have an FFL. A lower receiver becomes a legal firearm after it is 80% completed. A lot of companies sell 80% lowers and its well established law what you can and can't do to keep it from being a firearm. The buyer buys the 80% lower and does the rest of the work themselves. I've got a line on being able to make lowers and sell them for less than most people on the market. As long as I keep the financials above board, is there some way I'll get my shit pushed in that I'm not seeing?
>>
>>17317827
Now we're getting somewhere. I like how you put that, getting your shit pushed in.

That is an execellent question, Anon. I'd rather not discuss this on a public forum, since it's potentially illegal. Got an email I can can write you at?
>>
>>17317844
How is it potentially illegal? Thats all I'm looking for. If theres a rub I'm not seeing I'd like to know what it is so I can keep things strictly legal. If I wanted to be getting into selling shit I'm not supposed to I'd be making sears for full auto conversions.
>>
>>17317850
I don't want to discuss it on a public forum. Ask on /k/, or do a browser search. If you want me to refer you to online resources, tell me how to send you an email. Up to you.
>>
>>17317494
I'm in the United States and I'm wondering is it illegal to drive through a wall of protestors if they're standing in the road?
Say I've honked and given sufficient warning as well as trying to ease my way through to no avail.
>>
>>17317827
>In the US. I'm only interested in federal laws as I won't be selling in my home state.
Crossing state lines is a far bigger deal than you're making it. Keeping things in-state is the only thing that keeps some things legal from a state perspective. While that makes the federal laws very important to follow like you say, you also have to realize that the states you ARE selling in will want to apply their own state laws. And in-state manufacturing can be regulated, too, sometimes. You should honestly brush up on all state laws to be safe.

Make sure you're up on taxes. State, sales, etc. and that is all on the up-and-up (easier to nail you on that rather than a lot of other things).
>>
>>17317868
That sounds reasonable, Anon. Thanks for the input.
>>
>>17317866
It's clearly illegal to drive on a public road in a manner in which you know is going to or likely to cause injury to a pedestrial. That's a careless or reckless charge.

Just because they shouldn't be on the road doesn't mean you can plough through them. It's not Death Race 2000 out there. Yet.
>>
>>17317886
What if they're pounding on my vehicle?
>>
>>17317940
I'm pretty sure you'd still be charged. Your defense to running someone over is because you were protecting your vehicle?
>>
Hey lawfag, who can get charged with possession of a illicit substance If my drugs are in an area of my shares house (7 people) that commonly used by all people and nobody owns up to ownership? I'm from Australia, Nsw
>>
>>17317494
There was an anon in another thread which i'll link (>>17317882) who was discussing her domination fetish.
My ex had the same fetish in that she wanted to be taken advantage of(gagged, tied etc), but we never took it far because of course with any relationship, things can fall apart unexpectedly and the closer two people are, the worse the fall out may be.
Is there any legal barriers two people in a relationship can put into place to allow for say 'safe bedroom fun' each Friday night for instance, without either party having to worry about legal implications in the case of a break up?
We did try using safe words etc but she always complained that it felt 'too safe' and was a turn off. Didn't really put her in the mood knowing she could just end it like that(nor would this work with her wanting to wear a gag).

Any thoughts?
>>
>>17318676
That will depend entirely on how hard the police want to prosecute this. If a couple of joints were found in the common area of a home where there are seven subjects, any of which could be the owner, then the police have a choice. They either let it go, or arrest everyone and see who turns on the other. And with seven suspects, someone will turn.

But that's a lot of time, manpower, and paperwork for a simple possession. If the substance was found in volume, perhaps to the level of a trafficking charge, or the substance is unusual and the police are specifically trying to track down production and distribution networks, then they might well bring the heavy.

If this isn't a hypothetical, and people have been arrested and need some better help, let me know. Obviously, consulting with a criminal lawyer near you, face to face, is the best option.
>>
>>17318996
Good question. This is dicey. I'm glad we're talking about your ex, so this isn't an ongoing potential problem.

As you said, a safe word is the most common precaution. Or "tapping out", especially if there's a gag involved.

But consent can be revoked mid-act, and then it becomes rape. If she has that deep of a fetish that she wants to be have sex in a situation where she literally has no control and can't say "no", then she's got some issues. It's not about sex anymore.

You can imagine situations where this could go horribly wrong.

Without a safeword, the only other protection for you would be something in writing from her that she acknowledges the situation and is taking full responsibility. However, people can't consent to be assaulted with a weapon, or aggravated assault, so event that is unlikely to do much to help you in court.

I'm glad you're out of the situation. You've heard it before here, don't stick it in crazy.
>>
What is the legality of this site?
http://helloracist.com
>>
>>17317494
My brother is a lawyer, but says that you will have to give up the party life for studying. Is it true that law is all serious? Do you find time to have fun with your study's? He says that it's worth it where he is. Is being a lawyer a pretty good choice for you?
>>
>>17320493
Not OP, but I'm studying law. I have more free time than my brother who's studying engineering. I think it's more about me and how I study than the subject itself though.
>>
>>17317494
Why do all Lawyers drink the most? Out of everybody they always drink the most.
>>
>>17317494
What are some arguments/ phrases that can be used that would scare the shit out of an HR manager?
>>
Depends on the situation. There is no single trump card.
>>
>>17320575
Meant for >>17320568
>>
>>17320474
I haven't looked at that site. Unless it's selling drugs or cheese pizza or weapons, why would it be "illegal"? And illegality depends on your jurisdiction. More specific? From the name, it's a racist site? It might be illegal depending on the hate speech laws where you live. If you want me to continue further then tell me more.
>>
>>17320628
It's a site where people can "expose racists." It hosts all the information on the individual. Where they live, phone number, etc.
>>
>>17320493
Good question. I guess it depends on which school you are in and what you're trying to accomplish while there, and where you are.

I've said before that law school, at least in Canada, isn't hard really. By the time you're accepted to law school you have the academic skills and desire to do well, so it won't be that difficult. If you want to make a scholarship or make law review or whatever, then yes it can be a lot of work. If you're in a super competitive and upscale law school then it will be a lot of work, but again if you're accepted you should already have the tools to do it.

Law school was a lot of work but not particularly hard. There's a difference. I went to all my classes, and after class I had a bite and then met with study groups to share knowledge and save time on studying. Each of us would focus on one subject and take great notes, read all the cases, and share that with the group. After an hour or two of that nightly, I'd have a few drinks at the on campus grad club and played pool or pinball or cards with the regulars. Then I'd go home relatively early and go to bed, get a full night's sleep, and up in the morning to make my classes and do it all over again.

I studied on weekends only for midterms and exams, otherwise I did a part time job waiting on tables at a nice place to pay for school.

In the real world, it doesn't matter what school you went to or the grades you got. A law degree is a law degree. If you're looking for a job with a top firm or competing with many others for internship/articles, then your grades and extracurriculars matter. Otherwise not.

So to answer you, your brother is right. It's not all parties but it's not easy either. It depends on your specific goals and motivation. Being a lawyer was a good choice for me personally, but it isn't for everyone. Those who go to law school because "it's expected" often don't do well and don't make good lawyers.
>>
>>17320516
As a group, lawyers tend to drink a lot. There's a high degree of burnout because of the pressures and responsibility. Working out and meditating are better ways to manage stress, but they take time. A lot of lawyers, including me, simply drink more than we should. It helps us forget the job and sleep better, even if it's not very healthy long term.
>>
>>17320568
You'll need to tell me more, including where you're from so that I know whether or not I know anything about the employment law there. Do you belong to a union?
>>
>>17320654
So what do you want to know? I can see that those who are "exposed" might want to sue the site for libel.
>>
>>17320708
Would a case of libel against them hold any merit?
>>
>>17317494
So the bulk of this seems to be criminal law so i would assume that is your area of expertise.

How often do you do property law?

If i was to rent a apartment and i wanted to change the fridge and the oven and get them embedded into the kitchen, would they become a fixture?

How can i have it so that they look nice and fitted without them becoming a fixture?

Another thing, the landlord keeps coming over to ask about my rent payments and its really bugging me, can i ask him to stop?

I'm from Australia
>>
>>17321501
>How often do you do property law?
Not OP, but lawyers who practice criminal law rarely, if ever, do property law as well.

As for your questions, I'm a law student from NZ, so what I know might be more relevant to Australia than Canadian law. I hope OP doesn't mind me taking over a little.

For the fixtures question, the basic presumption is if it is attached to the land/property, it is a fixture. If not, it is a chattel. However, those are rebuttable presumptions, and since fridges and ovens aren't really attached, it would be up to your landlord would have to show that they are fixtures, not chattels. If your apartment comes with a fridge and oven, it might be more likely for the landlord to argue it is a fixture, or at least their property since they supplied them, so keep that in mind if you want to replace them.

As for the landlord coming over, under NZ law, landlords can't just pop around whenever they please, they have to provide at least 24 hours notice (I think, it could be 48 hours). I don't know if you have Citizens Advice Bureaux in Australia, but if you do, finding out whether there's a similar law there would be a matter of a quick phone call.
>>
>>17317494
Why did you get into law? What are your personal long term goals? Any crazy case you want to share?

Sorry if this was supposed to be a legal advice thread.
>>
>>17321517
Thanks for that bro
Respect
>>
>>17321331
Not OP, but law student.

In the U.S., as the first element in a libel claim, you must prove the statement to be false and defamatory. In this case, calling someone a racist is a matter of opinion, and can be defended as such. The burden is on plaintiff to prove the statements to be false, and not on the defendant to prove they are true.

I would suggest using the appropriate contact forms and requesting a take down, and saving all communications. If they remove the information from the site, they are acknowledging the statements may not be true, and you may have a case.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>17321331
Update on my last post after reviewing the site:

If they are merely hosting images/text with "plaintiff" making comments, there would be no chance of a libel claim against the site, as they are merely relaying what a person has said and taken said comments from public domain.
>>
>>17321988
Not the same guy but /b/ did raid this site yesterday. Photoshopped a bunch of images to make it look like people said some racist shit.
>>
brit grad in law, how do i get into a US law school
>>
>>17323392
Why would you want to?
>>
Hey man, canadafag here going into Uni in the fall for a juris doctor degree. (Will eventually take the barâ‚©

Any study tips, warnings, reading material that you think would be useful for a student?
>>
>>17317494
US:
Is asking for nudes online illegal? I assume not because I see it on /b/ all the time. But I'm in college and have this desire to see my peers nude to get off to. Morally I know it's fucked up and I have been trying to kick the habit, but I'm hoping a legal consequence will scare me out of it for good. (No one is under 18, I'm not that fucked up)
>>
File: 1451633870115.png (33 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1451633870115.png
33 KB, 1000x1000
USA

I want to start up a graphic design studio, do I go S-corp, C-corp or LLC? What's the difference and why?
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.