[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New job
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
Hey /adv/ so I'm starting work as a receptionist at a GP soon. I've never worked as a receptionist ever, but they've run me through two 1-2 hour trials of the position and I'm picking up the work flow really quickly.

The doctor wants me to do three more training sessions before they hire me this week. I'm totally cool with it since I have plenty of time and I'm really keen on the job.

My dad however, has been telling me that the training should be paid and that the practice is really unprofessional etc. whereas my sister says it's completely normal?

Especially since I have no prior experience, plus I've been told not many receptionists stay long (the practice attracts many stressed out business people as patients so the doc wants me to get a feel for the patients that come in) so I'm assuming they don't want to start paying someone with no experience outright, only to have them leave.

Is this all ok you think? I've never had a job before, and I've done heaps of volunteer work so it didn't bother me to do a couple of unpaid training sessions to lead to a paying job.

Also tips and hints for reception work I guess.
>>
>>17317342
I don't know the answer to this since you're in australia, but I googled "are unpaid internships legal in australia" and got your Fairwork government website answering a lot of your questions. If your situation was in the U.S.? No, it wouldn't fly. You can't do work replacing a worker or to benefit an employer like a regular employee and not pay them. However, briefly looking at Australia's page, it looks a lot more lax, so it might be okay. But you need to go look at that page and see.

As for receptionist tips? Always. Be. Professional. Always. Always, always. Just because a customer is having an ~*emotion*~ (or several emotions), doesn't mean you have any need to come to their level. Let them run their course, and maintain your professional, calm demeanor. Be kind and friendly. Multitask. If you find you forget things, then post-it notes are your best friend for jotting down notes as you go. Don't be afraid to ask questions. But keep your emotions in check around the customers or if you're being reprimanded or something. Get that chill multi-tasking flow going on and you will rock it.
>>
>>17317896
Ah thanks I did more reading on it, I guess I got so eager for a job I started thinking more on whether this was something a lot of employers did as opposed to if it was legal ha. Thank you for looking into it and pointing me in the eight direction.

Looks like it's fine if it's all supervised sessions. I think once they offer me a shift on my own I'll make sure if to see if it's a formal job offer and not just an unpaid shift.

And thank you for all your tips, I'll take it all to heart. The practice is right in the middle of an area full of law offices so I know it'll be way busier than the GPs I've personally been to.
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.