[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am over the age of 18. If I use my own money for a trip and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2
File: tree.jpg (472 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
tree.jpg
472 KB, 640x427
I am over the age of 18. If I use my own money for a trip and decide to meet an online friend when I am there without telling my parents, does my parents have the right to be angry if they find out?
>>
>>17141728
They have the right to be angry but can't do much unless you live with them. Keep in mind that online friends in person can not be what they say they are.
>>
>>17141734
I live with them ;-;
>>
>>17141734
And yes, I know. I've talked about this with my friend irl and we talked about safety issues. She said I should be fine if I meet my online friend with a group of people in a public area.
>>
>>17141736
They can kick you out, restrict you, etc. Like I said. Be careful when meeting people from online in the real world. I wouldn't advise you to do it.
>>
>>17141744
I've talked to my online friend for 2 years.
Is the risk of being kicked out worth it?
>>
>>17141749
2 years is nothing. Make sure your parents are OK with it before doing anything. If this is a real friend they won't mind.
>>
>>17141728

>do they have the right to be angry

yes? they can be whatever emotion they want. should they? no. but they have the right to and no amount of logic would change that anyway.
>>
>>17141762
Im scared of beijg kicked out as the other anon said.
Is the risk worth it?
>>
>>17141769
Sorry for the truth anon but if you're too stupid to figure this out then you are too stupid to know if your friend isn't a rapist.
>>
>>17141780
And your point is?
>>
>>17141786
My point is you are a dumbass. Why are you asking an image board instead of your parents? Why are you asking strangers if meeting someone you only know online is worth the risk of losing your home? Stop being a dumb fuck.
>>
>>17141791
I think my parents will not let me meet my online friend. My mom alreasy thinks travelling around a country without an adult supervising is is dangerous. I recently had an argument with my parents and my mom sais that she never wanted me to go and it was my dad's idea so we two better pay for the whole trip.
I've talked to an irl friend about this, just not the parent part.
>>
>>17141805
Are you sure you're over 18?
>>
>>17141807
Yes I am. I am 19.
What makws you think I am not?
What would you do ot you were me?
>>
i think i have seen this before somewhere
>>
If you live with them: their house, their rules. Are the repercussions worth it? And besides, all they want is for you to be safe. What you're doing doesn't sound safe at all.
>>
Why don't you tell them anyways? You are an adult and from what you are saying you are being careful with your online friend, so no, they pretty much don't have the right to be angry and meeting someone is not that much of a big deal for you to tell them anyways.
>>
>>17142322
Well I have asked about saftey issues in another thread and the anons said it should be fine if I do what I plan to do (i.e meet in the public etc)
>>17142331
I am >>17142015
We dont ezactly get along
>>
>>17142339
>planned to meet in a public place

I wonder how many people said this before they got raped and/or murdered?
>>
>>17142339
>Well I have asked about saftey issues in another thread and the anons said it should be fine if I do what I plan to do (i.e meet in the public etc)
So why don't you tell them about these precautions you're taking?
>>
>>17141728
>are my parents entitled to their own emotions.

You've got to be kidding.
>>
>>17142342
I talked about this on /trv/ and people called me paranoid
>>>/trv/1101972
>>
>>17142344
I dojt exactly get along with my parents. Have you see my other thread? Mom already thinks travelling abroad without someone supervising us is dangerous. They are super protective.
>>
>>17142361
Okay, so we're back to 'their house, their rules'. If you don't like how they treat you, move out. Don't give me excuses as to why you can't move out, either move out or put up with it.
>>
Have you tried talking to your parents about it instead?
>>
>>17142365
Like I have said I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world. Uni students here rarely move out.
>>
>>17142373
I told you not to give me excuses. Move out or suck it up, you can't have it both ways.
>>
>>17142369
No, just had an argument with them. See
>>17142015
My mom is already saying how she has never wanted me to go on this trip as she tjinks it is dangerous and she couldnt care less about it and that either me or my dad has to pay for it
>>
>>17142374
I am from Hong Kong. Do you have any idea how expensive apartments are here?
I guess I can move out if I can find some roommates.
So can I just meet my online friend and move out if things really turn out bad? I doubt my parents will find out but maybe they will
>>
>>17142379
I don't care how expensive your city is, my advice is still the same. If you want to do as you please without your parents interfering or getting mad at you, move out.
>So can I just meet my online friend and move out if things really turn out bad?
No, the other way around, you retard.
>>
>>17142382
Can I just tell ONE parent though? I thiNk ky dad wilp be more ok with it than my mom
>>
>>17142398
I don't know, I don't fucking know your parents.
>>
>>17142402
So even ONE parent is ok?
Sometimes I only tell things to my dad because he is less likely to freak out
>>
>>17142409
What part of "I don't know, I don't fucking know your parents" was so hard to understand?
>>
>>17142412
If you were in this situation, what would you do?
>inb4 I'm not you
>>
>>17142412
Also, should I do it like this girl here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHvY4oSwZCA
>>
>>17142429
But I'm not you. I don't know anything about this situation apart from what you've told me. But since you're so curious, I'd move out and stop whining if my home life was as miserable as you're making it out to be.
>>
>>17142433
>as miserable as you're making it out to be.
It's not THAT miserable. It's just that we have an argument like once a month or so.
Plus I still don't know how they will react to me meeting an online friend in Spain who is a guy while I am a girl.
I think my dad will be ok but my mom will freak out.
>>
>>17141728
ya, they care.
>>
>>17141728
Basic facts:

You can NEVER be sure online friends are who they say they are.

You can NEVER be wholly safe in a strange city on your own.

You can NEVER be sure that, even meeting in a public place, you might not be tempted to go with them to some less public place.

Unless your parents have a history of being TOTALLY unreasonable, you can NEVER be sure you are wiser than they are.

Why can't your "friend" come to you? Why can't you travel with one or more trusted (by you and by your parents) friends and meet the stranger as a group?

There are, of course, exceptions to what I'm about to write, but as a general rule, ANYTHING you have to do behind your parents' back is likely to be a bad idea.
>>
>>17142524
>Why can't you travel with one or more trusted (by you and by your parents) friends and meet the stranger as a group?
I am planning to do that.
>Why can't your "friend" come to you?
I live in Hong Kong and he lives in Spain and it is not like he can afford flying here.
>ANYTHING you have to do behind your parents' back is likely to be a bad idea.
It's not. It's just that my parents are over protective (especially my mom). She already thinks that travelling around Spain without a person supervising us is dangerous and that staying at hostels is dangerous as some people may steal our stuff.
>>
>>17142524
>You can NEVER be sure online friends are who they say they are.

??? what

yes you most certainly can, at least in terms of identity
>>
>>17142542
Well I have skyped with my online friend before. I've seen people trolling others by pretending to be Justin Bieber on Skype but I think that is too hich-tech for most people.
>>
>>17141728
Gray line, but they will be definitely worried.
>>
File: 1463169350882.png (9 KB, 290x174) Image search: [Google]
1463169350882.png
9 KB, 290x174
>>17141728
>right
>>
>>17142537
This post is the giveaway. OP has been asking this same question over and over for months. "Should I go to Spain to visit my cyberfriend? Will I be safe in a public place? Is it OK if I bring other girls with em?"

She (if it is indeed a she, and not some fat 50 year old guy in his underwear) has gotten plenty of well-thought-out replies to her several past postings.

There is no point in wasting your time and thoughts on her. She'll just be back again next week with the same query.
>>
>>17142628
Yeah that is me. I am asking a different question though this time. Is it ok if I don't tell my parents?
>>
>>17142632
No, it is not ok.
>>
>>17142542
What they mean is that you can never be sure if the person has some kinds of motives. I chatted with someone from the Philippines who tried to be in a relationship with me because he wanted Visa to my country. Some people marry people just to get a visa. You're young and probably naive/gullible, someone could try to take advantage of you. But ofc there's also a chance he doesn't have any shady motives.
Spain is pretty safe though so you should be fine i guess. Try to discuss with your parents maybe they will let you if you convince them it's a good idea.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.