[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The Abrahamic God is one of many Gods, but claimed himself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: 1465764631484.jpg (68 KB, 530x600) Image search: [Google]
1465764631484.jpg
68 KB, 530x600
>The Abrahamic God is one of many Gods, but claimed himself to be the one true God
>He's actually Saturn, the God of war.

Does this have any basis at all, or is this just something I see parroted a lot?
>>
The God of War is Mars, not Saturn.

As for the Abrahamic god, he started as a diety in a semitic pantheon, not a Greco-Roman one.
>>
>>17928917
There where two of them at first in the Canaanite religion, God/The Most High is El/Elohim, the head of the gods. The LORD/Yahweh was his son who was the god of Israel specifically. The Romans believed El to be the same as Saturn (not a war god), or sometimes Jupiter, the same way that they saw for example Aphrodite as Venus and Hephaestus as Vulcan. Eventually the Jewish people came to believe that El and Yahweh were the same god, although there are some minor references to them being separate left over in the Bible. Some Christian churches see El as God the Father and Yahweh as the Son in the Trinity. All of the other sons of El such as Moloch were eventually viewed as demons.
>>
>>17929304
I wonder what thought process the ancient people went through to have a discussion, create the idea of God, come up with a concept and a weird name and then convince other people for thousands of years that this is completely natural.
>>
File: 1368587458661.jpg (36 KB, 359x510) Image search: [Google]
1368587458661.jpg
36 KB, 359x510
>>17929304
To continue with this, most Indo-European religions are based on an older and largely unknown parent religion that had a Father Sky and Mother Earth gods, along with various lesser gods. The "Sky Father" as the primary was and still is common, there is the Heavenly Father term in Christianity and Jupiter literally means sky father. Christianity also still has a mother goddess figure (Mary) and saints that are treated like minor gods/goddesses. Many of them have their own shrines and have aspects of influence. In a way it could be said that most of the western religions are actually just one religion that has evolved over time.
>>
File: 1451436935857.png (161 KB, 265x281) Image search: [Google]
1451436935857.png
161 KB, 265x281
>>17929341
>>
File: concept_art_house_08.jpg (151 KB, 680x448) Image search: [Google]
concept_art_house_08.jpg
151 KB, 680x448
>>17929341
I personally believe that people throughout history have at times been in contact with greater beings of some sort, and that these experiences eventually led to worship and reverence. What i find interesting is that the Romans believed that there really are no separate pantheons, and that all cultures gods are really just different interpretations of the same beings.

Another idea about the origin of gods is that it started as ancestor worship, and that the gods were originally historical kings and heroes who became elevated to godhood over time.
>>
>>17929364
>funny hat meme

Religion predates atheism when it comes to the trend of funny hats.

Got anything else?
>>
Gods are not real anon.
>>
>actually homor
>>
>>17928917
>Does this have any basis at all,

None whatsoever.
>>
>>17929304
I wonder what god was Jesus referring to. Abrahamic god is very cruel and not afraid to intervene, while New Testament god is loving and far more "shy"; he manifests his will through prophets like Jesus.
Jews do not follow the New Testament, only the Old.
>>
File: Me-and-my-fedora.jpg (37 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Me-and-my-fedora.jpg
37 KB, 480x640
>>17929370

>Religion predates atheism when it comes to the trend of funny hats.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.