[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sleep paralysis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1
File: 1452199077370.jpg (19 KB, 625x352) Image search: [Google]
1452199077370.jpg
19 KB, 625x352
What's your experience with sleep paralysis /x/?
How many times have you had it?
How intense are the episodes?
Did you ever feel an evil/demonic presence in the room?
Are there any ways to prevent further episodes?
>>
I have experienced sleep paralysis twice and both happened at work in a 2 week span. Both episodes involved Lucifer-human form blonde hair looking very call, but despite that fact flight or fight kicked in I was sleeping in a position that you would see people sleeping in school on a desk. I could only see his legs, but he was like talking to me in my mind and proceeded to put his hand on top of my head and bottom of my jaw and tried suffocating me it was very hard to tell myself to wake up and tried to break the paralysis. That was over 6 years ago and havent experienced sleep paralysis again.
>>
>>17917817
I used to have it maybe once a week, but now I haven't had it in years.

The episodes are normally I guess fairly intense. It would be me lying in bed obviously, but the whole room would be totally grey (the walls were normally a bright sort of reddish orange). There were never any demons there, but I'd always see my dad just outside my door, smiling weirdly wide, and just either standing there or slowly coming in. It always terrified the shit out of me though, my dad was an abusive asshole anyway so I avoided him everyday, but this was on a whole other level. Something about that smile.

I learned to sort of snap myself out of it. I can't explain my technique, but it's sort of like trying to open a very heavy second set of eyelids that you don't know you have. It takes a shitload of effort, but once you do you're just awake. I think it's because when you're asleep you move your body by just thinking about it, but you have to use actual muscles when you're awake, so it's the issue of finding and using your muscles that are switched off. Sleep paralysis is like the opposite of sleep walking.
>>
>>17917817
I've only had one experience with it. I didn't have any hallucinations or feel an evil presence. All I remember is a feeling of dread, a feeling like I was falling, and not being able to move. I also remember that immediately before it happened, I heard Beavis' voice saying "suck my wiener". I'm not making that up. The silliness of that takes a bit of the edge off the sleep paralysis.
>>
>>17917817
Many, many times

I would wake up, frozen
Pain and pressure on my chest
Feeling of panic
Suddenly, a dark figure would enter the room
It would stare at me, then leave
I'd snap out of it

Worst time was 3 years ago
Stressed beyond belief
Hadn't slept in 3 days
Lay down
Immediately feel panic set in
Feel the paralyzation take place
Oh no, please snap out
See the walls moving
Horror, dread
Suddenly, I snap up out of bed
Filled with absolute sheer terror
Pace around the room, watching the walls move
The doir was cold to the touch
I felt like I was being watched
It was still going on for an hour
I prayed to God for help
Asked for the evil to be removed
Panic immediately went away

No joke. 100% serious
>>
I've had some very interesting experiences with sleep paralysis, if you are interested and brave pursuer it further! It's a 'gateway' to astral projection.
My most notable experience began with not being able to sleep. I spent hours tossing and turning but I couldn't pass out. I guess after some time I must have stopped tossing about and laid there, conscious but calm. I came back to awareness looking down on my body, eyes closed breathing softy. It took some time for me to realize I was, or a part of me, on the ceiling looking down at my dormant state. I began to think about the view outside my house and I... moved through the wall and was able to look out at the sleeping city at some time in the early morning. At this point I began to panic, being fully aware that this was not a dream but something a lot more abstract but real and I was conscious but detached from my body. I had this sudden urge to go back and I did. All of a sudden I was sinking back into my sleeping body, it felt like what I imagine velcro ripping apart but in reverse and soon enough I woke up startled in my own skin
>>
Has anyone experienced hearing loud noises that sound like a strong gust of wind before experiencing paralysis? It shoots through my head, I hear it in one ear and it travels to the other one. It used to scare the shit out of me, but it helps wake me up before I'm paralyzed. I'm thinking about using it as a way to prepare myself & control my fear when paralysis sets in.
>>
So far I have had it twice in my lifetime. One time, I was about 12, and I woke up one morning, couldn't move at all. I had no hallucinations and it was also day time so it wasn't so bad, I just went back to sleep. The next time was kind of weird and it happened when I was around 14. I was having a really hard time falling asleep one night, but then I finally got myself to sleep. It didn't last so long, I'm guessing only about like 20 minutes because I woke up and it was still night. I was lying on my back, my eyes were fixated on the ceiling, and I couldn't move at all. I heard something small run past me, right next to me as if it was on my bed. It sounded a lot like my hamster, because I had one at the time. I thought she escaped. Then all of a sudden I got the sensation that something was standing at the foot of my bed and was touching my feet. I thought it was my twin sister, but then it stopped and I realized nothing was there. At the time I didn't think it was sleep paralysis, don't know why, I think I was still half asleep during the whole experience because for some reason I wasn't scared.
>>
I get this sometimes, especially when my sleep schedule is off.

One reoccurring hallucination i've been experiencing when this happens is that I feel my legs moving up way into the air as if I were moving them. I realize that it I don't feel any weight of doing so and that some type of entity is trying to pull me out of bed by legs towards the ceiling.
>>
I've had a few experiences with sleep paralysis, usually I can feel myself trying to tear myself off the bed and my eyes moving frantically because everytime it's the same spot that I feel a presence from, never anywhere different. With the idea of preventing episodes, I would check in with a registered psychologist or maybe just trying a very consistent sleep schedule.
>>
>>17917979

>>17917979

yeah, I'm pretty well experienced in lucid dreaming, and there is a method called Wake Induced LD whereby your body falls asleep before your brain (in layman's terms) just like SP with the only difference being intention. When it "begins" and you drift into the dream world, in my head it sounds like im standing next to a jet engine on full blast. Also a lot of loud cracking and snapping. Even when i encounter it intentionally it's pretty terrifying. Apart from the panic, i've never "seen" anything, only heard stuff like the aforementioned noises and stuff like my mother calling me.
>>
I've tried to give myself sleep paralysis with no luck. Wanna experience it, even if it shakes me to my core.
>>
I get sleep paralysis just about every day. I work at a security monitoring company so I just sit and look at cameras all day, often drifting off into sleep. Because I usually drink some caffeine to help me stay awake it's just about a perfect formula for SP.

Being somewhat experienced with different forms of meditation, I use it to help me meditate and it helps quite a bit. I don't mean any Chakra or otherwise spiritual types of meditation, just my own blend of affirmative therapy, hypnotic suggestion and guided imagery.

Had a weird experience today when I spontaneously decided to try to make a servitor, basically a tulpa minus the actual being conscious part. Meant to make a figure who would represent my subconscious so I could see what was in my subconscious mind. So I focused on that and someone appeared in the room with me. He stood behind me but I could "see" him by looking in the camera that showed the room I was in. He just quietly sobbed and when I asked why, he said he was super excited to see "the movie." Before I could ask anything else, my alarm went off and I woke up. Kinda weird.
>>
>>17917817
I've had SP many times. It started occurring in my teens when I would usually have it at least once a week then decreased in frequency in my 20s; now mid-20s and I may have it once a month. I used to have a lot of other nightmares and those have also decreased in frequency over time. I've practiced lucid dreaming techniques not only to gain some control of normal dreams but also to make myself be able to recognize when I'm having SP (or a nightmare) and take certain steps.

Here's my experience of having SP. I can force myself to wake up when I'm having it by focusing hard on trying to speak or move my hand or foot, but it takes a really long time. Every SP "dream" seems to last for hours and hours even though that much time has not really passed. It always feels like I can't move anything except my eyes. By now I have trained myself to move my eyes and look elsewhere as soon as I see something scary. I remember as a teen before I had gained some control over the SP I would see terrifying ghost/demon things a lot, mostly shadowy things. Now for the most part I can avoid looking at them too much. During the entire dream, there is always this intense feeling of fear or dread like I know I'm in extreme danger. Sometimes there are sounds but not always; the sounds will be either a loud buzzing noise, whispers, or mumbled talking.

If you are having SP, you need to "program" your brain to recognize when you're dreaming. Read up on lucid dreaming. Also DO NOT fall asleep on your back. SP can occur when you're laying on your side too but it's much much more likely to happen when laying on your back.
>>
>>17917817
I really fucking hate you for this picture
>>
>>17917817
If you realize you're in sleep paralysis, scrunch your face up, like that look people get when they smell something nasty. For whatever reason pretty much everyone who has done this says it works every time.

If that doesn't seem to work, try moving your extremities. Wiggle your fingers and toes. Works probably for the same reason the face does.

If all else fails just focus on calming thoughts and ride it out. Some people say calling out to their god(s) helps them. If you don't believe in anything, try to envision being held as an infant by your mother. Anything that makes you feel safe, loved or protected basically. If it doesn't wake you up it should at least help combat the fear and anxiety.
>>
I have it maybe 2 to 5 times a month, best way to get out of it is to leave your hands close to your chest or one hand close to your arm so you can pinch yourself. Sheer will power works too but its hard. Rocking yourself side to side so your mind can fully wake up can also snap you out of it. Ive sometimes feel like I leave my body or have full control of my dreams too. Ive seen those "shadow" people too around me. Idk what they are, maybe chemical inblances in your mind thats half awake, or from another dimention, but they are horrifying.
>>
>>17918953
Strangely I've only ever seen any of the shadow figures once (I'm the poster that does SP just about daily). I think it's just a mental thing. The mind feels terror at being unable to move, because it leaves you vulnerable and exposed, and your mind creates a frightening image to try and scare you into waking up. I think I've almost never seen them because I don't feel the terror that I probably should at being paralyzed, simply because it happens so often my mind has gotten used to it happening. Just a personal theory though.
>>
Will tell you my experience. It's happened alot to me. Every time I am aware, every time sense of attack or feeling very vulnerable, feels like I already know some other entity is in the room or just violated me and is still near by. I can't move my body at all I can kind of moan to my wife hoping she will shake me. I try to calm myself sometimes but there is such a feeling that there is a presence in the room it is hard. I find that holding my breath lets me regain control of my body.
>>
>>17919071
I have seen figures too.
>>
I used to have it really bad when I was a kid. 3-6 episodes per week, sometimes multiple in one night. I would see things like shadow animals, wandering around me on the walls, tall figures standing just out of the light, shadow people, actual physical looking people that were... Wrong, etc.

Once I entered middle school though, I found a book about it in the library, and I was enthralled. I had to learn more about these bizarre things. Eventually I found a method for inducing it on purpose. I would take day time naps, wake up at 4am then go back to sleep, and to try and force episodes to happen. It was fun to me, like a personal roller coaster, or a scary movie that you could live inside.

I got to the point to where I was able to move during episodes. It wasn't much, and I was usually kicked out of it immediately. I wanted to try and talk to the 'demons' to see what they would say, but the best I ever managed was sitting up and rasping out the noise 'pra' before I was kicked out for moving.

About that time the 'demons' just stopped showing up. I would wake up paralyzed, alone. Nothing to do or see. It just became more of an annoyance than anything else. Then I just kind of grew out of it altogether.

I really wish they would come back though, my life is so unbearably boring.
>>
>>17917817
I had it once when I had to sleep on my back at a hospital.
I felt a presence in the room, but not that it was evil, more like it was just there.
Never saw the fucker, just kind of "mind talked" to it. Telepathy?
I woke up and thought "aw shit, why can't i move?"
Then I heard it say "because you're still asleep dipshit".
We continue telepathically communicating until I actually wake up and he vanishes.
His replies to me felt almost like they were being pushed into my mind, where I was just thinking to him
He was a real asshole.
>>
Happens to me about 3 to 5 times a week. I need to be woken up by my alarm clock because if I gradually wake up from REM sleep Im most probably going to have an episode. And since my sleep paralysis is of the chronic type, episodes are not too severe. Never had hallucinations and the like but being paralysed is stressfull enough.
>>
My old room rooms door was a sliding door with a thick curtain covering it, the room was seperate from the house so the door lead outsideand had no lock. For about two weeks every night I had sleep paralysis. There was always a small girl in the corner of my room or right above me sometimes, the scariest one though was and old woman who opened my curtain from the outside peered in shushed me and then left. Still remember it clearly.
>>
Had it every night for a week in elementary school. Just a heavy heavy weight ontop of me that I was afraid to look at until the end of the week. Regret opening my eyes, very evil inhuman face with black teeth and black eyes staring at me. Once I looked, never happened again. Only minor sleep paralysis now where you're looking around the room but can't get up.
>>
>>17917979
>>17918313
YES. It's happened to me but I couldn't explain it very well. A jet engine is pretty accurate. The only time I've had sleep paralysis, I felt the noise and somehow new exactly what was happening. I closed my eyes fearing I would see the supposed shadow people. But no joke, I started praying in my mind to get out of it.
>>
I've had sleep paralysis on and off really bad since I was around 10 or 11 years old (25 now), and I still have bouts. What I have discovered works well for me is covering my eyes tightly with a blanket so that the blanket doesn't come uncover my eyes.

If my eyes were left uncovered as a child, and even now as an adult, I would have a bout of sleep paralysis every night. Since this is a really transcendent feeling experience which is sometimes amazingly awesome or amazingly horrifying I tend to try to keep it from happening, but sometimes it is awesome, but only after hundreds of times of trial and error to not just immediately freak out when it occurs.

First experience was when I was around 10 or 11(I remember the close approximation because my grandfather died that year.) This first experience was horrifying, and I had a tendency to go to sleep when there was still light coming in the window due to depression or just sleeping too much. As soon as I had fallen asleep this time i immediately had my eyes snap open.

I was looking out into my room, and I couldn't move, and I couldn't accomplish anything. I was frightened. Thought I had died, and that I would never wake up again. I watched as the light faded from the room slower than normal even if just watching the sunset. As the lights disappeared the shadows started to change, and dance. Amorphous blobs would smash into other blobs, and create dynamic variable changes and the dark moving shadows took over for what felt like a lifetime. I was freaking out in my head. I couldn't turn away. Couldn't wake myself up, and I couldn't scream though in my head, I was screaming and it was loud.

When the light returned back into the window. It started to pierce into the darkness and change the shapeless moving blobs into shape, pressing them further away from the window and defining them. My sister physically shook me awake when I finally was able to snap out of it.
>>
siempre tengo paralisis hubo una noche que mi una mano can grandes uñas osea un silueta
>>
>>17920112
That being the first incident it wasn't the last, or the most messed up. After that it was mainly little stuff. like having a bat try to pull out my hair as I couldn't move to combat it. Later research into what it was; caused me to try very hard to get up and to overcome the paralysis.

Leading to Lucid dreams and out of body experiences. As a child though I was only able to really have an OBE that was riddled with horror. If I managed to get up and change the nature of the sleep paralysis. I still awoke to a hellish version of my house. If I didn't escape my house I was usually chased around by a man with a chainsaw or machete or some other menacing instrument.

If I managed to escape the house the outside world was abandoned or falling apart. The dreams of the house and the town are reoccurring and even now if I have sleep paralysis and I manage to have an out of body experience sometimes I still wake up as though transported to my old house.

The dreams were always riddled with death, violence, decomposing corpses that still were able to move around. And even characters that were highly logical and got emotional and scared when I explained the nature of their world being just a dream I was experiencing. A few times I would feel malevolent forces, but more than anything I would see half human shadow that would hover over me and follow me if I managed to break out of the sleep paralysis.
>>
>>17920161
The worst feelings are the ones that feel as though possession has occurred or that some entity is beginning to overlap or reside within your own. This doesn't appear to occur often but the signs of these experience seem to be accompanied by what feels like a warm fuzzy feeling as your muscles begin to relax.

(A feeling that is very similar to say taking up a meditation posture in QiQong of embracing the tree for a duration of a few hours.) As the muscles begin to loosen up and that positive feeling sensation is invoked . . . I'd begin to feel like a coldness begin around my feet and then try to overtake the rest of me.

The first time it happened I went into some strange dream about a baseball stadium, where nothing seemed amiss until leaving where I was on a rolling hill next to a river and the baseball players were all attacking one another with bats and generally filling the forest area with violent mess and intentions.

The second time this occurred I saw another bed opposite mine with a gossamer like bed covering where a body lay beneath it. I tried to move and to get up. But I couldn't. What changed was my position and the gossamer blanket seemed to be above and over me and the wind blew through it enough that it would pitch up and down allowing me glimpses into the world beyond. At some point the dream involved me feeling as though I got hit in the back of the head really hard, and then being held down as someone began splitting my lower jaw and ripping out the left half of it. The extreme but vivid dream-like pain was enough to wake me up.
>>
>>17920210
From there, It got much better for the most part with me learning how to lucid dream, and getting better at making sure my eyes were covered up and not exposed during sleep . . . But no matter how much the eye covering helped it only caused the occurrences to slow down and not stop all together. Fast forward to my early 20s . . . I'm in college, and I'm spending the night with my girlfriend at the time . . .

We both fall asleep together and I have sleep paralysis that night. I am unable to move and am staring straight into her face. Her eyes snap open, but she appears to still be asleep. A black viscous liquid begins to spill in from the whites of her eyes inward until her entire eye is just a black gloss.

The blackness then recedes as here eyes change back to normal except that her eyes are a dark grey color. She then begins to emerge from the blanket completely naked. She sits cross legged and takes a knife from underneath the pillow, and cuts her stomach open making a huge mess of blood all over the place before laying back down. I don't remember much else happening this time, but when she wakes me up in the morning i freak out because I'm not sure if I'm still dreaming or not.
>>
other than covering your eyes when you sleep (which only seems to be mildly effective), learning how to not panic when it happens, and not sleeping on your back, I don't really have any more applicable advice.
>>
>>17920259
What about sleeping with the lights on, if you can?
>>
>>17917817
(First post) I've had it a few times when i was younger. After watching some shitty horror movie i woke up unable to move and just covered in sweat, like drenched. Scared the shit out of me cause i was facing the open door.

Another time that happened frequently was when i would wake up and see little toy soldiers on the floor, kinda like those green army men. They would walk around the room, it was cool i miss them.
>>
>>17920805
I could try that. With sleep paralysis. it is seemingly hard to find anything that actually is the cause or trigger to it.
>>
>>17919990
ooooh shadow people. I've only ever been bothered by one during an attack. It opened my door and stared at me from my doorway. The rude fucker didn't even close the door when it was done. All the other times, they'll appear to me when I'm fully awake but won't interact with me and linger for a few seconds. The next time I start hearing jet engines, I'm going to see if I can bring the one that opened my door back.
>>
>>17922074
Same dude you replied to. Your description made me laugh, thanks.
>>
>>17922143
Don't get me wrong, it was still some of the scariest shit I've ever experienced. I was sure I was going to get raped and or killed.
>>
I deal with it almost every night when I do manage to get some sleep. Only once did I see a shadowy figure above me
>>
Nothing ever demonic. And it usually only happens to me when i fall asleep on xanax.
>>
>>17917817
many times when i was younger. now, the night terrors and sleep paralysis were two different things for me:
sleep paralysis
>slide in to reality (my room) from a dream.
>want to wake, move, breath but can't
>struggle
>horrified - i'm in my room and i can see my bed but can only move slightly
>finally snap out of it.
Night terrors
>most of the time i would see a large spider or insect fall on my bad and wake up
>a few times i would see a shadow person or, once, the crone in my room. eventually wake up.
>once i saw the flutter of a dress fly over my head as if something flew over me.
once i realized there was a scientific explanation, i took simple steps (not sleeping on my stomach, calming myself down with the mantra "it's just a dream", etc) and, over time, it stopped.
>>
>>17917817
I had sleep paralysis for months to the point I was suffering from temporary insomnia over it. It started when my grandmother was diagnosed with ALS and began to deteriorate rapidly so I'm assuming it was from the stress and sadness in me and not something more paranormal but the day she died I got to see her one last time in the hospital and for all her wasting away she looked so beautiful, like an angel. She smiled at me and crossed her heart with her finger, since she could no longer speak and wanted to let me know she loved me. Me and my brothers were taken out of the room so I didn't see her actually die but my mom came out not long after and told us she had passed. After that, I slept deep and undisturbed for the first time in a long while. I've barely had even normal dreams since then and it's been almost a decade.

I still have it sometimes when I'm particularly anxious about something and always when I've fallen asleep on my right side. I've never had problems with it sleeping on my back. It's the primary reason I switched to sleeping on my left side and stomach when before id always curl up to the right.
>>
I don't know if this is sleep paralysis or not, but it usually happens one time per week. Yesterday when I was about to get asleep I could feel myself getting paralyzed, and I was looking at my door and suddenly I saw a shadow that looked like a little girl. I started getting scared and I tried to move my tongue to wake up. After 5 minutes or so I could get up and the "spirit" disappeared.
>>
>>17917817
Couldn't move. Sweating hard. Felt as if i was tied by a steel rope. Saw dark figures in front of me; one time I saw a dark figure with a crystallized face. Illuminated as if it were pure diamond...
>>
I had sleep paralysis a minimum of once a night for 7 years from the ages of 4 to 11. I had it so often and it was so terrifying that the monster that showed up during the sleep paralysis began to "infect" all of my other dreams and eventually any dream that wasn't sleep paralysis was about it. I refused to sleep for days at a time and lived for many years in a state of constant fear and sleep deprivation. It consumed my early childhood to the point where I barely remember anything, and my first memory is actually of a particular instance of sleep paralysis.

And then I had a dream where I beat the entity to death, really just caved its fucking skull in, and I began having dreams of its rotting corpse lying and moaning in the middle of the cul de sac where I lived. Then I didn't dream for a while. My sleep paralysis has since been replaced with a much worse recurring nightmare that is so terrifying to me that I actually miss the old dreams. I called the monster Fluffy. I miss Fluffy, but unfortunately, I think his corpse has fully rotted away now.
>>
>>17917834
I also developed a weird technique that's sort of hard to explain. It was sort of like letting your head fall a tiny bit too far past the point where it could normally twist to, then jerking it really quickly back up to a normal position. Used to snap me out of it instantly. Weird. That shit about your dad seems terrifying though, much scarier than anything I ever had to deal with.
>>
>>17917817
I've only had a few bad sleep paralysis experiences.

The worst of all was when I heard a horrible animalistic little girl screaming over and over (it was actually the train screeching) followed by the noise of something running up my stairs, and finally a weird burnt corpse child about 2-3 feet tall walking towards me in the most fucked up gait ever.

Then I woke up and proceeded to shit bricks for 3 hours before I could go back to sleep.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.