[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/x/ related books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: ccteaching-763745.jpg (115 KB, 776x1204) Image search: [Google]
ccteaching-763745.jpg
115 KB, 776x1204
What are best books you have read on the paranormal?

>pic related
>>
"Castaneda's accounts began to be widely doubted during his career. The author Joyce Carol Oates wrote the New York Times, expressing bewilderment that a reviewer had accepted Castaneda's narrative as fact. Richard de Mille[wp], a former Scientologist and psychologist, published Castaneda's Journey: The Power and the Allegory[2] A further debunking appears in Jay Courtney Fikes' Carlos Castaneda: Academic Opportunism and the Psychedelic Sixties.[3]
The chronology of Castaneda's alleged adventures in Sonora with Don Juan was internally inconsistent. They contain no reference to the usual dangers, discomforts, and precautions needed for people wandering the Sonoran desert. No reference to actual contemporary Yaqui beliefs and culture appear in Castaneda's accounts: neither their deep Roman Catholic piety, nor their extensive use of flowers, nor their traditional suspicion of the Mexican government. Don Juan does not resemble a Yaqui or inhabit a Yaqui culture in any identifiable way.[4] Castaneda apparently went through his training in shamanism without learning any Yaqui words for animals or plants he allegedly encountered. Don Juan's philosophical platitudes were cribbed from a number of identifiable sources, including Ludwig Wittgenstein and C. S. Lewis.
The Yaquis[wp] actually don't use peyote. Another native tribe of Mexico, the Huichols[wp], do. Castaneda's books persuaded American stoners to visit Mexico. First, they invaded the Yaqui, whose sober culture disappointed them. Then they turned to the peyote-using Huichol, where they caused substantial disruption, and a tribal elder was murdered by a stoned gringo.[5]
Castaneda is no longer regarded as anything other than a fraud by contemporary anthropologists. Dr. William W. Kelley, chairman of Yale's anthropology department, has said that "I doubt you’ll find an anthropologist of my generation who regards Castaneda as anything but a clever con man. "
>>
>>17913392
So are you gonna post a book or just spout rhetoric? Have you even read this book or any of his others? Its pretty crazy.
>>
>>17913392
He did more than just peyote in this book. Total /x/ material talks about skinwalkers and brujeria
>>
>>17913400
Are you gonna ignore cold sore facts against your hero, anon? That's cultish behavior.
>>
>>17913407
It's just a book I happen to enjoy. That doesn't make the author my hero. And only a couple things in that quote were facts. So you haven't read the book. Great. Just let other people form opinions for you. Because you obviously have no discernment of your own. Post a book or gtfo
>>
>>17913407
Sid! Your poptarts are ready!
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.